Speaker 1: Welcome to the Ravens Press Pass podcast. It is Saturday, August third. The Ravens continued training camp practice today ahead of the preseason opener, which is coming up on Friday at M and T. Banks Stadium against the Philadelphia Eagles. After practice today, we had a chance to hear from some of the assistant coaches. First up, as defensive line coach Dennis Johnson, what.
Speaker 2: Have you seen out of Travis Jeras very trouble in this campaign?
Speaker 3: What have you seen out of Travis?
Speaker 4: I've seen a lot of growth obviously from the summertime through now. You know, he's a guy who showed up every day during the summers, you know, working to get better, and I see his confidence level constantly, like rising up. I think that's gonna be the big thing for him for him moving forward, is we're doing it, able to do it on the field in practice and then you know that first game, able to you know, face the adversity he faces here and overcome it, just like he's doing now. And I think I'm seeing the confidence in his ability to do that. And so the more that we're put him in those positions and practice, the better off feel be going into the season, and there's a.
Speaker 3: Lot of talent as defensive line.
Speaker 5: What do you think rather Washington needs to do to maybe see more snaps or a greater impact the season.
Speaker 4: Well, I trust broad like I trust anybody up front. He's a hard worker. He can play multiple spots. Just throughout camp, I've seen him play a one, a three, or five or six, sometimes a nine. And so his his ability to be flexible among the front helps him to play in a lot of different situations.
Speaker 6: Obviously his strength and his size.
Speaker 4: You know, you love him in the run game, and then his smarts and knowing how to rush and pass lanes and you know, working new moves help them shows up in the past game and so you know, I'm expecting them to play a good little.
Speaker 7: Bit defensive line maybe has most continued contomunity from last year to this year. What has it been like? Just like watching them as.
Speaker 4: A year, it's also watching them grow together as one unit. Obviously, you know know them as individuals, but you know, in a meeting situation or in a practice situation, We're in Indie and they're you know, talking to each other and encouraging each other and you know, giving like coaching points that you know, maybe giving meanings to another guy, especially the younger guys and seeing them progress from the beginning of camp to where we are now. Is just helping a group play together as one. Like I was just telling them, you know, post post practice, you know, this team goes as a front goes, and so just taking on that responsibility and the ownership because I mean, Mike Peers, what say it means? You know, our goal is to be the number one defensive line in the NFL, and so we have to practice like it and it have to be consistent day in and day out.
Speaker 6: And so that's one of.
Speaker 4: The things that I definitely see in that that front.
Speaker 8: In the secondary, you see a lot of positional versatility, if you will, some of that.
Speaker 3: Obviously I'll be front too. And how I guess important is.
Speaker 6: That it's very important.
Speaker 4: I mean, you know, you're not playing, you know, not taking ten d linemen into a game, and so you have to have guys who can play inside and outside. I know Herb is that flexibility a lot. Obviously, you know, Beaks in his athletic ability can do a lot of things, and Travis too, and so just crosschaining guys and putting them in those situations and practice giving them confidence. I can play interior, I can play xterior. Kind of like helps builds that because it's very important you know going forward.
Speaker 3: What just in that DK, when I and you're looking at him and in him past, what do you think makes.
Speaker 4: He's so explosive, his hips in his hands are so fast, but he's also strong, and so that's kind of like what makes him unique. And the ability to play the run at elite level and then turn around and play the passing and the elite level changes the game for any interior d Lineman, I mean, regardless of who you are, and so having the ability to do that, I believe is what makes him special. And his wont to get better every day. You know, he comes out here, hey, coach, like my hand placement, what you think about it?
Speaker 9: Here?
Speaker 4: My foot whatever, my eyes and you know contentiously you know, telling him that and staying on top of that is really he's really an impressive young man just in general. But I believe that's what makes them special.
Speaker 10: It's just seen talking in versatility of how to be game being explosive. You see a scenario in which you could even have him out on the edge just in certain past scenarios just to kind of rush out.
Speaker 4: I mean, you could actually put him everywhere because he has what I was just describing, those unique tools of being quick and strong, and so you can definitely put him on the edge, and especially you know past situations or even like run situations.
Speaker 6: You know, he's big enough to.
Speaker 4: Set an edge and send things inside if that's what we're asking him to do, or any type of movement. Obviously he's quick enough to get to any gap that we asks him to, So he could definitely play inside and out. Again, going back to the versatility of the front and the ability for guys to play different roles and.
Speaker 7: Here the room, so they really focused on dining something will work that the outside linebackers do. And defensive lines once had been like just like working hands and anults right.
Speaker 4: Now, So I mean we call it the defensive front, and so we're all together outside linebackers, INTI your defensive linemen, like we this is the unit, and so we need to work together.
Speaker 6: We have to work together. We have to be in unises with each other.
Speaker 4: You know, if we're working in past rush and we're working in rush lanes and we're playing off of each other. We have to be on the same page. And so working together like jails, that group a.
Speaker 6: As one, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: And I think the more that we do that, as you see in practice, I mean, the better off it is as a unit. The travers and has talking about how much he's justin and how he strives to be on that level. How have you seen just learned the building, you know, seeing them just be vocal, whether it's in in meeting rooms and you know we're going over something. Maybe we went something over something before and like a young guy mat might have missed it, and he'll be able to see, hey, we you know, we just went over there.
Speaker 6: Remember your eyes, you know, giving guys.
Speaker 4: Like little little bits and stuff like hey, look at this guy's need, you know, look at that guy's foot. He's gonna tell you what's coming ahead. Cause he's a smart player as well. And so some of those you know, pre snap adjustments that he's given, you know, within the line helps guys. And so I believe he he's a leader, I mean obviously because of his play, but just also because of the human that he is.
Speaker 11: Justine Server, I.
Speaker 7: See a lot a lot of questions like in the meeting room.
Speaker 6: Like yeah, I mean it's it's awesome.
Speaker 4: Like we we love to have like open dialogue, you know, making sure that we all see it the same. If we see it different, I mean maybe there was a different way that they played it before, or you know, a different way of presenting it. And everybody's being vocal and talking, and I like when when Justin talks because you know, obviously you know, people want to know answers. He has a question. But it's been great. It's been great, and I think the team are the front gets better because.
Speaker 6: Of stuff like that.
Speaker 11: One of his questions.
Speaker 6: Uh not yet, but I'm suio it's on the way.
Speaker 3: It's like working with U Chuck Spens.
Speaker 12: Oh.
Speaker 6: I love working with Chuck.
Speaker 4: Like I've said before, like I knew Chuck before I got here, you know obviously all the pastor stuff he was doing, you know, out in Georgia and different stuff like that back when I.
Speaker 6: Was in college ball.
Speaker 4: So it's really cool to sit and go over you know, drills, pass rush drills and combining like the things that I how I see it and the things that he sees and that making it one and making it ours and the guys like loving the approach to it. And so I mean he's he's been awesome. I mean also he's been helping me, you know with the transition, you know, coming here, because he's been here for a year. He's been awesome and I love working with him.
Speaker 6: Amazing coach.
Speaker 1: X up Is wide receivers coach Greg Lewis.
Speaker 11: It was very entertaining. I'm glad. I'm glad a couple.
Speaker 6: Of big plays out there.
Speaker 3: How big was it time to see a couple of big coaches.
Speaker 12: It was great to see building a rapport with him and Lamar and the other receivers. But to see Bay get out there running around, making moves, making catches. Uh, I think it's this guy's the limit for him and this offense with with the guys that we have here. But it was awesome to see just plays being made, contested catches going up grabbing a ball by all the guys out there today on the offensive side of the ball.
Speaker 11: So I'm excited to where we're headed.
Speaker 8: And if you see from the chemistry between Lamari and said, it seemed obviously.
Speaker 3: Was a lot camp here. Why do you think this team just.
Speaker 12: Might I mean they both from Florida, So it's something in the water down there probably with those guys. But they both love football, and really all the guys that's out here love football. And when you got a bunch of guys that love football, it's easy to get on the same page with those guys and they understand what they're doing, what they see out there, and then they make things happen that most people can't do and it's special to see.
Speaker 11: And we just got to keep going from that.
Speaker 8: Follow up what are you seeing day and you want to year or two, whether it's football or understanding concept.
Speaker 3: Et cetera.
Speaker 12: Definitely understanding of the offense, and then leadership as a as a rookie, obviously, you come in and you listen and you learn, and when you expect it to make plays, you try to do that. And they did a great job of that. But now it's about taking the next step and sort of taking the group by the rains and try to lead them in the right direction. Because he's been through it, he's been there and done that, and then we're trying to take it to another level.
Speaker 11: So he's done a great job with that.
Speaker 12: We got a lot of leaders in the group, but Bazayas stepped up and did a good job with bringing younger guys along, Molik coming from the quarterback position, Dayton Wade coming from college and whatnot, and all the young guys. He's just helping them with anything and everything possible to help us be a good core of receivers.
Speaker 4: He's always had speed, just what other other areas that you've seen kind of growth, maybe.
Speaker 3: Getting from the last you know, twelve.
Speaker 12: Month or just change the direction and getting in there out of breaks and having him out there being able to do that you always know. And obviously I wasn't here at the time, but I watched him in college. You see all these spectacular moves that he can do, and just getting him out here and getting confident doing it, and it's been great for him and it's been great for us as as an offense and as a team. But just getting in out of breaks, contested catches and trying to get deep balls down the field, crossing routs, different things of that nature.
Speaker 11: Uh, he's showing up.
Speaker 12: He's showing up, and he's done a great job throughout this whole camp and we just want to continue to build off of that moving forward.
Speaker 7: Contest well, players have been able to be out here in the past few days. But I guess, what have you seen this develment?
Speaker 11: And is it?
Speaker 2: I guess how do you deal.
Speaker 7: With a young guy who's coming in and learning having.
Speaker 12: Get this stuff like that well without getting physical reps. It is difficult because a lot of guys need to be out there and do physical reps. But Tis has done a great job in the classroom and making sure he's on top of everything. So when he does get back out there, whenever that may be, he'll be ready to go. From that standpoint, Uh, he's a football junkie. He loves football. He wants to understand the ins and outs of everything that's taking place, and when his time is to go, he'll be ready to go because I believe I'm not confident in him, and I know he's confident in himself. Quickness, confidence and those two things those are in you. Uh, they're not really coachable type of deals. He's he's a confident kid, does a great job going out there making plays utilizing the speed, and then he has quickness where he understands how to get open. And quarterbacks love guys that they could get open because it makes it easy for them to throw them the ball. So he's done a great job of that and utilize them in a different position. He's picked up and grasped uh the playbook and the offense and he just continues to want to work. And that's that's what I love about him, being an undrafted guy. Uh I had that mentality and and sort of it's you see it in him, and I love that about him. Uh And I just want to see him continue to grow and do what he needs to do.
Speaker 8: He just going back to say the Real Quick Community play off season, he had three highest separation rate pre Technically, where do you where do you see him either making the biggest speed from fromventive now or or just best skill setting every footwork cut off like the true stuff.
Speaker 11: Well, he's pretty much gotten better at everything. Uh.
Speaker 12: I think just trying to get him the ball. If he touches the ball, something special is gonna happen. So just putting him in position to be successful each and every way possible. And coach Monk does a great job of dialing different things up to put people in position to do what they do best. And that's what it's about on offense is matchups and getting guys in position to be successful. So I think we're doing a good job with z Ay thus far, and I think we're doing a good job with all the guys because everybody is unique.
Speaker 11: Everybody has a different skill set.
Speaker 12: And we want to tap into all those skills, so we utilize everybody as we go.
Speaker 7: There've been a lot of options about about height ends after Isaya like the season and talk said and they're so limited preps. What has that been like just preparing for the season knowing you have all the stuff that you want to get the goal to but also seeing the strengthens.
Speaker 12: Man well with the amount of talent that we have on offense and really on the whole team. Obviously I don't coach defense, so I don't want to talk about that, but on offense, we have a lot of guys that are positionless and they can do everything. So you may not be getting the ball per se and practice or getting a rep, but when you get out there, we're moving people around, seeing what fits, seeing what doesn't fit, and putting them in those positions. So everybody is interchangeable, and we're trying to do a good job with that and give our guys the opportunity to make some plays and score some touchdowns for us.
Speaker 8: Someone saying side, what is you have to do to be successful against you know, press coverage?
Speaker 3: And I guess what he kind of seem to him.
Speaker 11: He just got to be him.
Speaker 12: I mean, I don't let size define I don't let size define guys. He's been that size his whole life and he's been able to make plays and do different things. So all he has to do is come out and continue to work hard and work on his craft and do what he's coached to do and then let his natural ability take over.
Speaker 11: But his size doesn't matter.
Speaker 12: If they come up to impress him, they better be ready because he's gonna be ready.
Speaker 1: And lastly, we also had a chance to hear from running backs coach Willie Taggart.
Speaker 9: Good afternoon, how y'all doing well as Florida about saying they both hot? Yeah, they both hot. Were sweating in both spots, you know.
Speaker 6: So, I mean there's spending a lot of.
Speaker 2: You have a workload, three carries, whatever, but you see, they has always been able toever work with the beating.
Speaker 3: Just look, why do you think you what do you see? Why do you think he has.
Speaker 9: That first, I like to say, there there's a pro you know, he understands what it takes and what it's gonna take for him to play at them at the level that he wants to play at, you know, each and every week. And then you know, for me personally, the first time I've seen Derek train the way he does was this off season and send the work that he put in in the off season, uh kind of can let you know why he's being able to play at high level for a long period of time because he does a great job taking care of his body and the off season and allow him to uh continue to play at high level.
Speaker 3: And they're a body farder muscle of his that you think it is just like the strongest and.
Speaker 9: The whole body just strong. Just I mean seriously, I mean I think everything his his from a physical standpoint, from a n mental standpoint, and you can't you can't take that for granted. You know, Uh, just sit down and talking with with Derek about football and all he's he's such a he has has such a great football man, you know, and and ask great questions and and and have a good understanding of the game. And and so I think from a physical standpoint. You know, he have all the intangibles there. We see that, you know, and he he walks around and you know, uh, I think a lot of guys make business decision when they wanna tackle him sometime out there. You know, Uh, rightfully so, but uh, I just think he he he's a into a young man that just had at all. You know, he's from a uh, like I say, physical and mental standpoint, Uh, to be successful are some of the questions, Like you're.
Speaker 2: Talking about the mental aspect, is there like a for instance that you bring our road some of the questions that you know that that you're You're like, well, it's a freaking.
Speaker 9: Well, it's just like when we're talking football. You know, sometimes he ask questions that I don't get asked by other backs, you know, which which is good.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 9: And then just him being a pro just to be able to ask the question. A lot of guys don't want to ask questions in there, and and for him to be in there and ask questions. We can be meeting by ourselves at time and and I can talk about a play and he's gonna ask, well, why are we why are we doing that? Which is awesome. You know cause now you explain the details and he have a good understanding of what we're trying to do, you know. And again as a coach, to have your players and you know, ask why we're doing something is is great, you know. And then for the younger guys to see and hear him ask those questions. Its only just gonna help the entire rooms.
Speaker 5: When the team signed Henry just because of how you run out of the shotgun, and that's not that's been his specified.
Speaker 3: Role in maybe his season. So just over the course of camp, whatever you've seen from him out of that role. Now that as he smiles right.
Speaker 9: Now, man, I can't wait to the season. I'll put it that way. He can't wait to the season. And and and watch him play, you know, watch him in a different style of offense than what he's been in before. I think there's gonna be able to show that he's much more than just downhill run. He can he can do everything the little guys do.
Speaker 11: You know.
Speaker 9: He can make people miss, you know, he can jump, cut and he can do it all. And that was for me, that's what's been impressive to see him being able to do all those different cuts and things. He makes some cuts like Justice Hill. At that time, I'm like, whoa you know? And then yeah, I don't care who you are. You see that big guy when he's rolling, when he's when he's in third gear, you better watch out. You know, you might got a chance in second gear, you know. But after that it's it's problems.
Speaker 7: Obviously, Kenig heavy load and Kennedy balls. You're just saying, but we've still seen a lot of Justice still out here.
Speaker 3: I guess what.
Speaker 9: First of all, I expect for Justice to have a great year. I think this is gonna be by far one of his his best year. Seeing his development since I've been here has been off the chart. You know, he come in and Justin can do it all. You know, he can run the football for us, he can block for us, he can catch passes out the backfield for so. I think you'll see us using Justice in a lot of different ways. And I think you'll see uh a young man that that comes through for us too, called Justice the junk yard doll. He does everything for us, you know, and uh so, uh looking forward to him having a heck of a year.
Speaker 4: Development which Harpall was talking about how he's work til he takes started acting.
Speaker 8: What have you learned about his work years?
Speaker 9: I mean I said the same thing about Derek, the same with with with Justice. From the time I got here. You can see the professionalism from him. You know, he's so much more ahead of uh his age right now, just the way he think, the way he go about things, and just is one of those guys he's gonna study all night, he's gonna come in, he's gonna you don't have a problem worried about him going there and knowing what to do. He's gonna know exactly what to do when he's out there, and he's able to help guys around him, you know, and and and for Justice not only from a running back standpoint, but you think about the things that he do for some special teams. You know, he just he's the ultimate team player. And like I said, I I expect for him have a big year now, having a better understanding of our offense. And and I know we're gonna use him in a lot of different ways. I think we're I think we're all gonna be impressed with what Justice can do for us.
Speaker 8: What's what did you see out of Machine All League and what's the challenge of you know, the rookie count. Yeah, have you seen the factors these two guys?
Speaker 9: Well with Rashine, seen a lot of good things from him, you know, really excited for Raschine, right, r excited to watch him play in preseason.
Speaker 11: You know.
Speaker 9: The challenges is just learning the speed of the game, understanding the offense. You know, I think that's what the speed understand learned the speed of the game. Once you learn the offense where you're not thinking so much, then you can go out and play. That's to me is where the speed becomes a difference for guys out there. They're all fast, but when you're thinking a lot, you normally don't play fast enough. So but as time have gone on, you can see where he's picking it up and like today, just some of the cuts that he makes and when he hits the whole.
Speaker 11: Uh.
Speaker 9: I think now young man is special and and and I think he's gonna show us all that where Uh, Eric and those guys did a good job again drafting a running back.
Speaker 10: Well, uh, that's kind of stood out in practice as well as going right.
Speaker 5: You've seen him over the course of last year and now wherever you've seen his development, what are you seeing right now now.
Speaker 9: Well, again, just like I was saying about Justice on this he's grown so much from from last year coming in as an undrafted free agent, and and then from that time to last preseason he played against the Bucks. I think that's when he showed everyone that, you know what, he can't play at this level, and then he just constantly got better over the year, you know, and practice against our defense helps, you know, you get to practice against those guys and go out. He had no choice but to get better. You're gonna get hit. So he's done a good job with that. But understanding the offense, he knows that now and what we're seeing out there now is a young man that's playing with confidence, you know, and so that's gonna help. And again same thing with CC. We'll call you back there. He's another good one. I really like our running back room, not just cause I'm the running back coach, but because I think we have some really talented young men back there, and I think we'll all get to see it once we go in preseason and what they can do.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Ravens Press Pass podcast. The Ravens have an off day on Sunday, before getting back to work on Monday, make sure you hit that subscribe button. Thanks for listening, have a great weekend.