Speaker 1: Scrubbing In with Becca Tilly and Tanya red An iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 2: Hello everybody, we are scrubbing in.
Speaker 3: On this holiday scrub sessh. It's thanks Giving.
Speaker 2: Happy Thanksgiving.
Speaker 3: Gobl' cluck gluck cluck cluck gluck cluck cluck.
Speaker 2: What are you doing today on this Thanksgiving great gratitude day of gratefulness?
Speaker 3: Well, I like to be grateful and thankful every day of the year, So today it's just about.
Speaker 4: Eating a meal and living.
Speaker 3: In that thankfulness, you know, because I think we should be thankful outside of Thanksgiving.
Speaker 2: That's beautiful.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Are you all hosting?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 2: Oh, I know? Is this the first year?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Wow, I know, And I'm sad about it. I'm not sad about what we're doing. So we're spending Thanksgiving with my parents. So we're driving out of San Diego. I'm gonna see my niece for the first time. My brother had his baby, but they're spending Thanksgiving with her family that lives in San Diego your sister in law, correct, And so it's just gonna be me, Robbie and my parents and we're like going out to dinner.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So i'man like excited to spend time with my parents and I've never been out to dinner at Thanksgiving, so like that's a whole new thing. But I'm having a little bit of regret that we didn't host because I like having a big Thanksgiving. I like having everybody over.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I think I like hosting.
Speaker 2: You do, yeah, y'all love hosting. Yeah, So well it'll be a change, you know. It's like the day is about gratitude.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: We decided against it this year just because we have so much going on with like the wedding, and like we were it was just like, like why incur the extra cost right now? You know, it's so true. So that's why we decided against it. But I'm having a little bit of regret.
Speaker 4: But it's fine.
Speaker 2: This isn't a day of regret.
Speaker 4: It's not a day of regret, thank you.
Speaker 2: It's a day of gratitude. Mark.
Speaker 4: But we'll be hosting next year.
Speaker 1: Okay, So we are hosting. My parents are coming in from Tucson, they actually got in yesterday. Our friends, our friends and friends of ours are coming in from they live at Oak Park. They come up to join us, and it's wonderful, especially this year because the Packers play tonight, and we're all big Packer fans and they're friends. So I got to watch the Packers play. They're playing the Miami Dolphins, so everybody root for a green Bay. But I do have a beef with Whole Foods. Tell me, every year we get to Thanksgiving from Whole Foods and it's great. Yeah, it's all a cart. I'll take this, I'll take this, I'll take that. When we make little low it's like, too many green beans next year, a fewer green beans next year. We know we can skip this next year. Let's get one more pie next year. That sort of thing. This year they changed it completely. There's no moral a cart. You have to buy their Thanksgiving package. Well, the Thanksgiving package has got stuff. We don't want. A ton of green beans, for example, that are not going to get eaten.
Speaker 4: You guys should really try the green beans.
Speaker 1: We eat green beans, but we don't know. We don't need a pound of green beans each. You know, it's too many green beans. The mashed potatoes aren't regular mashed potatoes or sour cream and hive mashed potatoes, which I'm sure are lovely. But we've got a picky kid who's not gonna eat those, I promise, way sour.
Speaker 4: Cream and chipe sounds divine.
Speaker 1: I'm sure they're great, but not everyone's gonna eat them. So we like to have the option. So I can't do that, And the only way to get stuffing is to get the package, and I don't want the package. So they changed everything and was very frustrating. So we're not having stuffing tonight, thecery store stuffing because we're being stubborn about it. You know, we're getting all of our food at one place. We're not making ten different stops. Oh but you know there's turkey and there's you know, whatever else, whatever it is, but it's not stuffing.
Speaker 4: Do you all have tonight? Okay, so today whenever you eat?
Speaker 1: Actually, well that's that's a conversation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Haley's we always do things living with Haley's family, and her mom's out of town until tomorrow, so we're celebrating Thanksgiving tomorrow. So on Black Friday, sure, I'm gonna be eating and shopping.
Speaker 1: I guess, Well, today's gotta be weird for you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've never done this. Well, I did have one year where I stayed here and I didn't have any family in La so I was just by Oh, I was by myself, and this is actually really nice. I was dating Robert at the time and we had just started dating, and he made me a Thanksgiving plate and brought it to me like the next day before we went on a date. I know, he's so sweet, but I remember it was such a weird day because I was just kind of like on my couch by myself. I didn't I didn't have any family or anything. But I'm really happy, Like I'm excited because Haley and I I was thinking maybe I could get some like our favorite pasta and make like a really cozy meal and just have like a day off together and then we'll celebrate with her family tomorrow.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 1: What is the typical growing up like your family? What was the dinner time on Thanksgiving Day?
Speaker 2: It just was different because if it was my if we went to my grandma's, it would be kind of like a three to four pm thing and then just basically eat until we were going.
Speaker 1: I like that. I like dinner starting when it's still lightout.
Speaker 2: And then you can graze and watch games.
Speaker 1: Football games. Yeah, that's it.
Speaker 2: And then when it was just my family, my parents would do like a traditional Thanksgiving meal, but then none of us would eat it. So finally they got to a point where we like had lasagna on Thanksgiving because we all eat it. So it was just like that, whoa. But now we like we're celebrating Haley's family at her sister's house and we all bring different things, so I'm in charge of like, So, Haley, I was curious if y'all had this experience. But one of my favorite parts of Thanksgiving dinner was the role, like the bread like a dinner roll. And Haley's family never grew up having a bread dish or like a roll, and so last year I brought it and they're like, oh my gosh, this is so great having the rolls. And I was like, y'all are crazy that y'all didn't have roles growing up. This is like the foundation of my Thanksgiving dinner. So I bring the like homemade like the buttered rolls, and then sweet potato castle role.
Speaker 1: Which is the southern thing. We discovered with Ryan last week, didn't we know?
Speaker 4: He said, sweet potato pie.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, sweeptato pie.
Speaker 2: Sweet potato pie.
Speaker 4: No, no, me either, never even heard of it.
Speaker 2: No, I've never had that, but it sounds probably similar. It's probably what I make just with like a crust. Yeah, because it's just mash up sweet potatoes. Uh, people dance cinn them in butter and then uh marshmallow. It's really good. It's like dessert.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: The buns you're talking about, we always had those, the roles, yeah, I can picture them. They don't and that's a certain kind of role that's only for like, but yes, we always had those. And I'd always make my mom put out peanut butter because I want to peanut butter on my roll.
Speaker 3: Ew, that's unique, sacrilegious on Thanksgiving to bring up.
Speaker 1: It does seem wrong in retrospect, but I want a peanut butter. I don't like just butter on my role. I want on my roll. Now. Great, When I was a kid, no chance.
Speaker 2: My great grandma would home like make homemade rolls and they were like little, just like bite size. They were incredible. Nothing compares to those, but just carb, give me a carb. Thanksgiving. Where are y'all going to go for.
Speaker 4: For our food?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I know, so we actually have two reservations because why for one.
Speaker 1: Of those restaurants you're not going?
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, you know it's hard to get both, and so one of them, I think is at like two o'clock, and one of them is at five. I'm pushing for the two o'clock because I'd like to eat early. I like to eat early.
Speaker 4: I like to even it's light out, and then just kind of like go to bed after.
Speaker 1: Wait, there's a big gap there.
Speaker 4: Well, I eat drinked. I don't want to have like another meal, like I want to eat around.
Speaker 1: Like three grazing that we endorse side of the.
Speaker 3: I'm not so much of a grazer you on Thanksgiving though, Yeah, but it's even about like it's just that it in full. I eat till I'm so full that I don't need to eat again.
Speaker 2: But if y'all eat it too, what will you do for dinner?
Speaker 3: That's the problem. Two feels a little too early. Five feels a little too late. So I'm like, I think five's a.
Speaker 2: Nice in between. It's basically a late lunch.
Speaker 4: Three is like my deal. This is why I need to host, because I love eating at three o'clock.
Speaker 2: That's an interesting time to I mean, I love that too, but I love it and this and said I'm at home, and then I get to like go back for more.
Speaker 3: So like three o'clock is like everybody shows up around one thirty, has some drinks, mingles, sits, chats, plays Jenga. Then you eat at like three three thirty, everybody eats, drinks, chats that. When the sun goes down, everybody goes home, You get in your cozies. It's like perfect, it's the perfect time.
Speaker 4: And now I have to choose between two and five.
Speaker 1: Robbie's got three football games to watch too. Keep it in mind, I'm a voute five really.
Speaker 3: Of the two, I would choose five, and one of them is like more of a Thanksgiving dinner, and then the other one is more like not Thanksgiving dinner, which is which the two o'clock is not thanksgivinglock.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's very interesting. I've never done this before.
Speaker 2: Should we do it? Would you rather? Thanksgiving Edition?
Speaker 1: Oh? That sounds fun. Why don't we take a break that, you know what? I need to just kind of sit for a minute before we do that. Yeah, yeah, lets do that.
Speaker 2: All right, we're back, so we have a little would you rather Thanksgiving Edition? Game? Quiz discussion discussion Mark, do you want to do it?
Speaker 1: Would you rather eat only turkey for the rest of the month, or only pumpkin pie for the rest of the month.
Speaker 3: Wait, what, that's not one of my questions. No, mine is turkey your ham.
Speaker 1: That's a whole difference.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh, I like this or that.
Speaker 2: Better answer my question and then we'll do some this or that.
Speaker 4: Okay, fine, say it again, Mark.
Speaker 1: Would you rather read only turkey for the rest of the month, which is only, by the way, two and a half days, or only pumpkin pie?
Speaker 4: Got it?
Speaker 2: Okay, what's your answer?
Speaker 4: Turkey?
Speaker 2: Yeah, she's a protein girly. Yeah. I would get so weirded out by turkey by that point that I would be like, so, I'm going pumpkin pie every day. I mean, I guess I'll have a slice of ay and just be hungry. But the thought of eating bird a bird, no, give me the grossed out thinking about it.
Speaker 1: White meat, dark meat. I'm a dark meat.
Speaker 2: I can only turkey dipped in my mashed potatoes or else I'm grossed out.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, turkey by itself, I get so in my head about any type.
Speaker 1: It needs to be dipped in mashed potatoes, yeah, or something, But you don't mind, like chicken nuggets, chicken tenders. Those are fried.
Speaker 2: I also like mashed up it like, no, stop, stop stop, I don't yeah, please don't do that.
Speaker 3: And I also feel like it's not chicken, but yeah it is, isn't it?
Speaker 4: Rat?
Speaker 2: Anyway, get out of here your conspiracies.
Speaker 1: White meat, A dark meat, white white. I'm dark. This is my dark meat song, and I'm gonna eat it. I do that every year Thanksgiving. People laugh. I love it. Next, would you rather host Thanksgiving for fifty people or attend to Thanksgiving dinner where you don't know anyone?
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, host for fifty people. I don't know anybody is so scary.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Would you rather do all the cooking for Thanksgiving or all the cleaning up.
Speaker 4: After all the cleaning?
Speaker 2: I think cleaning, I think cleaning doo.
Speaker 1: Would you rather have your thanks Giving meal with no gravy or no mashed potatoes.
Speaker 4: No gravy, no gravy.
Speaker 1: I've had nearly every meal without gravy. I'm not a gravy girly.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, I will eat the gravy, but I don't require grade.
Speaker 1: Ye agreed. Would you rather eat Thanksgiving dinner in complete silence or have to sing every word you say? Throughout the meal, I feeling I.
Speaker 2: Do feel like Hayley's family would love having to sing the every word. Well, that's probably for her.
Speaker 1: Would you rather have Thanksgiving a parade in your backyard or a Thanksgiving football game in your living room?
Speaker 2: Oh, a football game in the living room. I agree, that's fun.
Speaker 4: Like watching the game in your living room and watching the parade in your backyard.
Speaker 1: I'm not sure on this question.
Speaker 4: I'm going to dip out of that question sure enough.
Speaker 1: Would you rather have leftovers for a week or no leftovers at all?
Speaker 2: No leftovers?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Would you rather have to cook it? Cook a turkey without a recipe or make the stuffing without tasting it?
Speaker 2: I guess stuffing and say good luck everybody.
Speaker 1: Would you rather your dinner be served cold or burnt cold? I like I like her, I like them, I don't like style. Would you rather read Thanksgiving deal prepared by a celebrity chef or a home cooked meal prepared by your family?
Speaker 2: Home cooked meal by my family? Yeah, agreed Cozier.
Speaker 1: And would you would you rather accidentally drop the turkey on the floor and serve it anyway or burn the dessert and have no backup.
Speaker 4: I'd rather burn the dessert and have no backup.
Speaker 2: Wow, she'd like it. Eliminates me needing to have a sweet.
Speaker 4: No sweet treats, no problem.
Speaker 1: Here's your list or that kind and that you were so excited about, but rapid fire ready, Yeah, here we go.
Speaker 5: Turkey, r ham turkey, massed potatoes, sweet potatoes, sweet potatoes, pumpkin pie or pecan pie, pie, stuffing, a cranberry sauce, sauce, apple pie or pumpkin pie.
Speaker 1: Pie, gravy or no gravy. Agreement of this or that, and that gets one of these.
Speaker 5: Family dinner, friendsgiving, friends, giving, football, gamer, Thanksgiving Day parades, Thanksgiving cooking or cleaning up, cleaning up homemade cranberry sauce or canned cranberry sauce.
Speaker 4: Homemade cranberry sauce.
Speaker 5: Thanksgiving leftovers are freshly made food made food, green bean casserole or mac and.
Speaker 1: Cheese, mac and cheese. Early morning cooking or late night desserts.
Speaker 2: Morning cooking.
Speaker 5: Baked turkey or fried turkey, baked turkey, sweet potato, castrole or mashed potatoes.
Speaker 1: Sweet potato casserole.
Speaker 2: I can't choose.
Speaker 5: Black Friday shopping or Cyber Monday Monday as soon as if it was ready, or wait until everyone's at the table, Wait.
Speaker 4: Till everyone's at the table.
Speaker 5: Traditional Thanksgiving foods a new holiday recipe.
Speaker 3: Traditional Thanksgiving food corn bread or dinner rolls.
Speaker 4: Dinner rolls, Oh, I like.
Speaker 1: Corn sweater and ge means are comfy, pajamas flutter and jeans. I'm sorry?
Speaker 5: Yea great yay funzies oky way.
Speaker 2: I did like the Grays Anatomy one who from the Gray's Anatomy cast? Anyone from the cast dead or alive? Who would you want to invite to your things?
Speaker 1: Alive?
Speaker 3: Denny?
Speaker 2: Oh my god?
Speaker 4: Would there be any other answer? No?
Speaker 1: I would like Richard to be it by thanks every dinner. I think he would tell some really good stories.
Speaker 2: Interesting go in Arizona. Oh are you talking?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Like character?
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, yeah? What dish do you think Meredith would bring him? What dish do you think Christina would bring?
Speaker 4: I think Meredith would bring something in a bag.
Speaker 2: I think Meredith would bring the roles tequila.
Speaker 3: I say I was gonna go alcohol, but then I think Christina would bring the alcohol.
Speaker 2: But I think Christina would bring like a can of cranberry sauce, like in the can.
Speaker 4: Still all right, fair.
Speaker 2: Anyways, Well, I hope you all are having a wonderful Thanksgiving, and if for some reason you are not with family or not with loved ones and you are alone, We're sending you so much love and I hope this episode brought you some joy.
Speaker 4: If you're alone, you can go ahead and DM me because I'm going to be in the.
Speaker 2: Car for two hours.
Speaker 3: Yeah, DM Tanya with traffic, I'll probably be in the car for three.
Speaker 2: Hours and I'll be at home chilling. I'm not even celebrating.
Speaker 4: Homised Thanksgiving Day.
Speaker 2: And I hope that you know that you are so loved, and I hope that you're able to find gratitude in any area in your life, you know, even if maybe you have to search for it a little harder this year. But know that we love you, Love you, and hope you have a great weekend. We love you so much.
Speaker 4: Have you Thanksgiving