Speaker 1: Well, it's time for the b A keep a Hey keep a okay a q A. What you say the b a q A with manday tip today? Oh you don't gonna forget that next week? So yeah, commit that to memory. It's starting for the Brown ambition question and answer. You have questions. We have some answers to smart brown girls who are not your financial advisor, not an attorney, not let's.
Speaker 2: Set the expectation right, we just talked about that job.
Speaker 1: But what we are as smart and so you take what did we say with a grain of salt and certainly lean into those people in your life, like your financial advisor, people you pay money to for professional advice. I well, if you have a question you'd like answered, where can they go manager to get questions answered? Oh?
Speaker 2: So many options, but y'all's favorite seems to be Instagram. You can hit us up, slide into our d We are at Brandabision podcast on the Gram. You can also send us an email where brannibisionpodcasts at gmail dot com, or if you're old fashioned, just head over to brandibisionpodcast dot com, click ask us anything or contact us and you can submit your question that way. Looking forward to hearing from y'all. Yeah, we got some juicy money questions this week. Let's start with our first question. Who would like to remain anonymous? Which is fine? So she or he or they say, Mandra and tif I need help, but I, oh, she's a little dramatic with lots of emojis. Truly, I do need your help. I started my private dining business several years ago, but was never really able to grow and groom it because of all of my responsibilities at my nine to five corporate job. As I'm approaching forty years old in just two years and have experienced an unfortunate amount of death of close loved ones over the past two years, I've reflected and decided I do not want to be in my sixties, saying I wish I would have chased this dream or that dream. That said, I've decided to level up the business I started and take a leap of faith to invest in a food trailer. This is going to literally take my business to the next level and give me the tools I really need to go full force. The problem is I don't have a ton of cash on hand, and because I want to go full in on this, I'm considering taking money out of my retirement account to cover the startup expenses. I'm looking into grants and start up funding options, but going directly to my retirement account would give me quicker access. My plan would be to pay myself back as my business grows and scales. What are y'all's thoughts on this?
Speaker 1: Well, First, I want to say, let's give you a name. We're going to call you thouty, Foody, so foody. I just want to say one, I just want to, you know, acknowledge that you have death of some close ones in the last couple of years. You know, I know that. You know, I can't imagine what losing a number of people must be like. So I just want to say, you know, I want to acknowledge that. And Two, you are doing something that my therapist who tapped me through my grief is doing, which is a good thing. Which is she said, grief. You have two choices with grief, Tiffany grief can let you can constrict you. And you know those are the folks who someone passes away, they just decide never to leave their house. They're just basically almost like waiting to die themselves, or they do less and less and less or. She said, grief can expand you, and it makes you look around and say, I'm acknowledging my humanness and my humanity and that we are here temporarily, and so I'm going to make the most of it. So I'm going to expand. And it sounds like to me that you are expanding. So I just wanted to celebrate that awareness that you're like, you know what, I don't want to be sixty and not happen live my life. So I just want to be like, kudos to you for allowing grief to expand you. I'm saying those goods. I'm doing the sandwich because girl, you better leave never tire money alone. Because well, here's the thing. My concern is this. She said something like she said, I'm looking into grants and started funding, but to go directly to my retirement account would give me quicker act quicker that girl, I read that says foodie. Yep, girl, come sit down next to me, man, right between those right between this foodie. This is like in church when you act you guys sit right between your parents and you're like you said, now, if you said I have applied to ten different grants, I have da da da I have and I can't find any funding, then maybe I might be like, huh, but quicker access is not better access. It's just now. And so I want you to do this food truck thing because it sounds amazing and you sound awesome, but I don't want you to do it to the detrite of your future. I'm gonna just give you a I'm gonna let many jump in, but I'm gonna give you a tool that's really helpful. They help folks. If there's this company called Rising Tide Capital, if you go to Rising Tide tidecapital dot org or rg I used to teach with them. They have like a six week course from what I remember, where they teach onto Norse entrepreneurs. And it's also on a sliding scale, so you don't have to pay for price. I mean some people totally go for free. And they also help to open you up to grants and funding and things at the end of that. So you get to learn everything from business finance to marketing to all the things they teach you in the six week program damn near for free. And then like I said, you have access to potential funding at the end. So I want you before you jump into taking money that should be the last, last, last case scenario, not your first jump in because it's.
Speaker 2: Quicker, and so like, you know, girl, Yeah, that struck me too, because I understand as someone who's also really impatient, and I'm like, I just want the thing that I want now, and when I decide I want to do something, I'm like, so, what's the quickest way to point B? Now that I'm at point A and I want to get there? So that really resonated with me. But I agree, I think that the fact that you haven't the one thing about grants and looking for like other funding options, even if you were to do a friends and family round of funding, you know, I would say the benefit of going those yes, slower routes to get some funding is that it kind of forces you to put together, you know, a case for why they should invest in you. And I think ultimately that work of writing down a business plan, a strategy, how are you going to cover your expenses, what are your long term ongoing cost you know, what kind of labor needs? Like having to actually explain all of that is I think really good business practice in and of itself to better prepare you. And so my fear if you were to just kind of go the easy route and raid your retirement fund to buy this trailer, is that then you're going to have the trailer, But then what about like executing on that And are you even ready for that trailer yet? You know, and we don't know much about you. I don't know much about your business. Maybe you are really ready and there's just not that stuff that I don't know. But I feel like sometimes when we go to ourselves first, it's almost like we fear asking for help and we fear asking for outside resources. But that is how so many businesses are founded, you know, through friends and family rounds of investing, through private investments, you know, through even funding through traditional financial institutions. Like I wouldn't want you to skip these other ways of investing and like seeking that additional help versus, you know, putting your entire livelihood and your future on the line. It doesn't necessarily have to.
Speaker 1: Be that way. Yeah, all right, foody, thank you for your question. Yes, hopefully you know you take that with the you know, with the love intended.
Speaker 2: All right, let's take a quick break out and be back with another of your baq and A's.
Speaker 1: Next up. We have Ken with the question on all right, Ken, Ken says, Hi, my name is Ken, twenty five years old. Oh. Also, yeah, I need your help badly. I feel like I'm drowning in debt and it's causing me to be depressed. I'm making eighty thousand dollars a year, but my car note is seven hundred dollars. I'm financing and my insurance is six hundred dollars. I live in New York City, which explains everything you need to know. I pay two hundred and fifty dollars a month for parking. Due to my new role, I no longer need my car. I'm thinking about giving my car back since I don't use it. I also max up my credit card. I currently owe seventy five hundred dollars and I have thirty thousand dollars in student loans. I currently live with my parents, so I don't pay much for rent. Can you please give me advice on hacker role and my debt? Do you suggest me giving back my car and also make a settlement with my credit card. I eventually have to find my own apartment, but I feel like I won't get approved of my credit SCRD, which is a five to fifty and I would barely be able to afford it. I would literally do anything and everything you tell me to do. Oh I can we love a listening A listening abe man, right, we love a listening, man, man. I know. So first, let's just acknowledge that, Like on the surface, Ken says I make eighty thousand dollars, and you're like ooh. And then Ken says I live in near city. You're like, oh, so, Manny, you have lived in New York. Tell us what eighty thousand dollars really looking? Have you lived in New York? Ve you lived in New York?
Speaker 2: I lived in New York and I made eighty thousand dollars at a certain point. Purpose yes, I'm an expert at being underpaid in a very expensive city. But listen, Like, the thing that stands out for me is, first of all, you live in New York City. Why do you have a car that's seven hundred dollars? I'm confused. Well, when he said when he said his car note is seven hundred a month, my immediate thought was, damn, his credit score is probably on the lower side because people with lower credit And turns out it is it's five point fifty. When you when you have a low credit score and your goal for when you go to finance a car, you end up with like really long term loans very expensive, and the interest prices, the interest rates are just so high that it makes financing get really expensive. I would say like, And he also says he may not even need the car anymore because his job has changed or something like that. So I would say, yes, I would get rid of that car asap, a up so that you can free up some cash. What kind of insurance is six hundred dollars a month? Is that that can't be auto insurance?
Speaker 1: I think that's what I mean annual? No, he has per month. Yeah, well that happens if you have low credit and he has a brand new car, so you have to get like the max insurance. And they probably maybe have taken advance of him, because I'm not gonna lie when Jirel is here. When I met him, between his car note and his insurance, it was over one thousand dollars a month. I was like, Brah, it was the first thing that made him.
Speaker 2: Get thank God. Yeah, yeah, well, Ken, we'll do anything you tell him to do right now. Tiffany. So we're saying, get rid of the car, can so?
Speaker 1: Can?
Speaker 2: I will take me a month for parking on top of that, Like that's easily, that's well, that's almost two thousand a month, girl a la.
Speaker 1: So that getting rid of the car. But now it might not be as easy because you know you're financing. So look what it looks like to sell the car back or maybe selling the car and then paying it off because I mean, used cars are still being sold at a premium days because this ise you know. So because here's the thing, because at the time I had Jirell, he basically surrendered his car and they gave him whatever cast value and he still owed like a couple thousand on it. But that's that was before. That was like I wouldn't say, like maybe like four years ago. But it's different now because used cars go for a Remember, Mandy, you guys sold your car right and you got damnar what you paid for because right now, you know, parts are slow to come by, and so you can sell youth car for much more and that will save you. Listen, So what's seven plus seven is fourteen fifteen fifty? Is that what he's like? So right now, that would save you fifteen fifty a month. That's great. Okay, So now your credit card, I don't necessarily think you need to do necessarily like a settlement on your credit card. You don't. I know, it seems like because you're twenty five that you owe a lot. Relatively speaking, thirty thousand dollars in student loans is not that bad. I know it sounds bad, but it's not that bad. And seventy five one hundred dollars on a credit card is also not that bad relatively, you know. I'm like, oh, y'all, try what I owed A good hundred thousand, so it's not that bad. I wouldn't necessarily settle my credit card debt. I think you can pay that off because look, if you are not paying this car note, the insurance and parking, you can put that toward your credit card and honestly have that paid off in a few months. That's what I would lean toward doing, and then so doing. By paying it off, you're going to see your credit score jump, like Jordan, Okay, also you might want to consider it. So credit cards are what they call revolving debt, and so that is one type of credit to pay back what you're already doing with your credit card. If you divert some of that car note money towards your credit card, you can get that paid off in a year. I would also consider there's a company called They ust be called self lender, but I think they just call themselves self now. And the way self works is that you quote unquote borrow money, but they don't give it to It's like I think I always tell people, choose the least amount of money. It's like five hundred dollars. I think it's the smallest. You borrow five hundred dollars, but they keep it in a in a money market account basically a savings account for you, and then every month you pay that money back. And so instead of evolving credit, you're showing creditors and the credit reporting agencies that I know how to pay off a installment loan. That's a different type of credit. And so sometimes credit agencies like to see that you have that you know how to do both. You know how to do credit cards, you also know how to do loans, and so it's like I think it was like I want to say, it's like forty one bucks a month if you to borrow five hundred it's like forty one bucks a month, give or take. And at the end of the year you get your five hundred dollars back because you know they never gave it to you and you paid it off, plus a little bit of the interest whatever the interest grew to. But it allows you over that year span, so you're gonna be paying down your credit card debt doing this like fake fake out loan with with self lender, So two ways to show that you know how to manage credit. So you should end the year credit card debt free and hopefully a much stronger credit score, so you will be ready then to get your own apartment in a year, you know, which might seem like a long time, but it's not. I moved there. I moved that around the same age you were, because same I wasn't making much money and I was like, how can I afford this? So that's what I would lean into. Ken is doing those things and trying not to get into any additional debt. You know, And if you have student loans that are federal right now, I mean they're still because what is the moratorium up, Mandy? Is it October?
Speaker 2: Did they push in October end of September.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, so you might not and we'll see what. We don't know what's gonna happen. So I don't know if you have private student loans. It sounds like they might be federal because they're not super high. So if you have federal student loans, you're probably not making payments on that now anyway, which is which is great. Don't be afraid to pay just the minimum to that as you take care of this credit card debt and then bump it up, you know, as you as you can pay more, and so don't you know, stay home with the parents. I would give myself a year work this plan. By then I would be looking on a mandy if I was you. So you can make more money through your career. Okay, again, you.
Speaker 2: Know I'm worried for ken, Like, I'm not gonna lie living at home eighty k a year. You should be stacking like you should be stacking your coins like this is the time I remember when I was making eightyk. You got me thinking back in my memories. Now, that's when husband and I decided to move back in with his parents in New York.
Speaker 1: Oh God help us.
Speaker 2: But to save money so we can save money. Oh my god. The in laws anyway lived with them so that we could purposefully save money so that we wouldn't have to take on debt for our wedding. And it was one of the smartest things we did. And it's like, Ken, You're like, you're getting such a huge benefit of living there. I don't know if they charge you rent. You don't say that they do. So let's say they're like a little bit, so a little bit of rents. Okay, gotcha. And if you can get this, if you can get that huge expense of the car off your plate, and you know, you can cut whatever other expenses you can cut and get that credit card debt paid down. You're still so young, but this is a really this is a really crucial moment, Like when you're twenty five. The financial choices you can make today will can dictate whether or not you will reach like millionaire status down the line, and they can dictate whether you'll be able to buy a house of your own someday. You're talking about renting, but think bigger, like, you can make choices today by getting rid of the car, paying down your debt, saving and investing your surplus money and not letting it, you know, run away from you.
Speaker 1: That could set you up.
Speaker 2: Like New York is really hell expensive, but you're twenty five. Like if you start saving and investing now for home purchase, like in your thirties, like that may be enough time for you to accumulate the amount of money that you will need. So like, think bigger than just what's in front of you. And I feel like in New York it's such a damn grind and it's also you do have those influences from people around you too, Like I get it, like you want to get out of your parents' house. But I'm just saying think bigger. I'm kind of giving you the same pep talk that I gave Husby back in the day when you know he had he moved out of his parents' house like a Dominican household in the heights. Like that's something you just didn't do until you were like in your thirties because of how expensive it is, Like people live with their parents for a long time. But he move that onto his own and he also found himself in a lot of debt, living paycheck to paycheck. I just found out recently that he used to really go hungry in between paychecks because he was so proud, like he didn't want to go home. And I was like, your mom would be pissed.
Speaker 1: What especially husby is like you said, the Dominican Dominican girl, not if they're Dominican baby going hungry, that's one thing.
Speaker 2: No, she would kill him, but that's how you know. But he was really thinking, like I want to get my own place, and so he got his own place, and it was like more.
Speaker 1: Than he could afford.
Speaker 2: And like there's also the pressure to get a car, because if you're not going to leave your parents' house, you at least want to be able to like go do your own thing on the weekends and like have a little bit of freedom. But like I had to help him think even bigger than that too, Like what's the opportunity here. You can really become wealthy if you take some steps today, and of course also increase your ergings at the same time. But I'm just like, come on, Ken, take advantage of this gift that you have. And yeah, your credit is crappy now, but like Tiffany said, once you pay off this debt, you know, get rid of that car, like jump like Jordan, I mean, I have no doubt that your credit will bounce back, and then it's about okay, let's keep it there and recognize how do we get in the situation in the first place, and like, let's try not to do that. Let's try to do that again. Ken, we can help it and then find your wife like me, and then you know you'll be good.
Speaker 1: Or partner. We don't know.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's right, find yourself a partner who will help be level up. All right, Ken, thank you for the question. You can take every single piece of advice that we gave you, but just remember we're your financial besties, not your financial advisor or financial planner, so you know, take our advice with a huge fat grain of salt right at the end of the day. But thank you again for your question.
Speaker 1: Yes, and if you have questions, please ask us and we will see you next week for more b a QA and just regular Brown Ambision on our regular Wednesdays.
Speaker 2: I see y'all, ba fam, hey, ba fam. We could not do this show without your support or the support of our team behind the scenes. The Brown Emission podcast is produced by Cumulus Podcast Network. It's edited by the Wonderful Imani Crosby and produced by Tanya Bustos. Dennis Stimplinsky is our in house tech curu, and I am Bandy Woodard Santos, your co host, and I will see y'all next week