Speaker 1: Sabena, did you go to camp?
Speaker 2: I've only gone to dance camp, so yeah, but it was only like four days.
Speaker 1: You went to a four day dance camp, so.
Speaker 2: What Yeah, my girls still do it.
Speaker 1: You never went to a summer camp.
Speaker 2: I recorded from it, remember I recorded one of them from it. When I was in Palm Springs, I was at a dance camp with my dancers.
Speaker 1: Is that when you had there you were recording with the margarita?
Speaker 2: No? That was no, that was a vacation. I couldn't. I can't. I can't have a margarita when I'm watching high school kids? Are you kidding me?
Speaker 3: I would need plenty of margaritas if I had to watch high school kids.
Speaker 1: Trust me, it's true.
Speaker 2: They that would make sense. But no, I cannot do that.
Speaker 1: But you never went to like a camp or like like a summer camp.
Speaker 2: Really, isn't that awful?
Speaker 1: Camp was okay? Was it off? Like?
Speaker 2: It's so far from me to even think that it's real. Like you stayed in a cabin.
Speaker 1: It depends what camp.
Speaker 3: I went to most camp, so yeah, the first when I went to boy Scout camp, for instance, I stayed in a cabin and I hated it.
Speaker 1: I realized I didn't need to be a boy scout.
Speaker 3: By day like four, I faked a stomach ailment and had my parents come and pick me up. Was awful, No, okay, But the first camp I went to Camp Woodstock.
Speaker 2: It was cool.
Speaker 3: I went with a friend of mine third grade. We shared a cabin with a couple other guard grade third grade. It was a sleepover for I did a week the first time, and I had one of my first ever oh this didn't go well moments where they had a toga party. Oh, and my friend and I are the only ones that went in togas no one else came in toga. And to make it even worse, I only had a fitted sheet. Oh so I didn't even have a regular sheet to make a toga how to fitted sheet. And so everyone made fun of me when I got there, and it was awful. But what they didn't know is that so the counselor was like, why don't you two His name was Paul. My friend I went with, why don't you guys go back and you get dressed. But I had a secret weapon in my cabin, which is I had taken my brother's Nike jacket and I had my own parachute pants because I loved breakdancing me and so I walked back into the toga party and I ripped that.
Speaker 1: Oh it was amazing.
Speaker 3: All the girls that wouldn't go to the dance me before now wanted to talk to me, and it was the great.
Speaker 1: So that was Camp Woodstock.
Speaker 3: But then I found the summer place was at the University of Hartford, and it was a camp that was split in half. So in the morning, depending on where you were, it was either morning or afternoon. Morning you would pick your sports, whatever you want to do, soccer, baseball, football, and then you'd have lunch and swim, and then the afternoon was fun. Academics all at the university, so you could do rocketry or photography or any of these really cool things.
Speaker 1: And I ended up going there from the time I was like fifth grade too. I became a counselor. Wow, it was so much fun. You had camp best friends.
Speaker 2: I'm still dying that you were eight years old going away.
Speaker 1: My first Yeah, my first sleepway camp.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: No, no, not my.
Speaker 1: Kid, Sabrina. I was a heavy smoker by eleven.
Speaker 2: There you go, that's you were your own at eight.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: No, I wasn't. That's the thing. I wasn't on my own.
Speaker 3: We had like my parents and I my family were super close, but they also wanted us to experience this. So we would go to camp, or I would go audition in New York, or I would do the stuff that I had to do.
Speaker 2: I did do a camp, but it was through school. It was like sixth grade camp. We went up to like a lake Arrowhead. I'm now remembering it, and you had to go. I remember the rules. We could only take like three minute showers. I remember feeling like I jumped in and was like and then like jumped out and like.
Speaker 1: There were a prison camp. Where were you going?
Speaker 2: Right? We were in the woods doing hikes and six grades when like body odor starts happening right, like, yeah, why were they letting us shower correctly? That? I just remember that, And I was like when all the girls were starting to shave their legs and like that was not enough time for them. So everyone was just you know, it was gross.
Speaker 1: Everyone was on natural.
Speaker 2: And you did that every summer.
Speaker 3: Well, I think, frankly, that's that's a great segue into our into our film today. It really is, first of all, welcome back to Magical, rewind the show that makes you want to grab your friends, your pj's, and your popcorn and go back to a time when all the houses were smarked, the Wave Tsunamis and the high School's Musical and the camps Rock. Yes, because we've got camp Rock tonight. Yes, let's grab a mic hat and follow me if you can, because we're recapping a dcom smash it. Like I said, the two thousand and eight juggernaut that was Camp Rock. This was a massive title for the studio, starring two up and coming names that would shortly after become some of the biggest stars in the Disney orbit and just Hollywood in general. And it is right from the high School Musical formula that had taken the world by storm just two years prior. So rightfully so, Disney had very high hopes, and they were right, because Camp Rock premiered to eight point nine million viewers on June twentieth, two thousand and eight.
Speaker 1: And is still to this date the third.
Speaker 3: Highest view dcom of all time, behind only High School Musical two and Wizards of Waverley Place. The movie it would go on to air on ABC after The Disney Show premiere as part of their Wonderful World of Disney series, which is a new synergetic plan for Dcom's going forward, as opposed to what President's Daughter did, where it was just shot for a Wonderful World of Disney and it was at the beginning of the digital release era, so it was released for digital purchase on the iTunes store that same week. The movie was shot in twenty five days over two months at the YMCA Camp Juanaquita I Think It Is and Kilco Camp, both in Ontario, Canada, but reportedly took seven months to edit. This movie spawned a sequel and a reality singing competition TV show, which of course makes sense because at the end of the day, according to Billboard, the film attracted an audience of one hundred and forty six million viewers in one hundred and sixty countries and thirty different languages.
Speaker 1: Yikes.
Speaker 3: Merchandise was a large part of the franchise success as well, of course, with t shirts, pajamas, back to school supplies, toys, beddings, backpacks, underwear, Why Creepy, and novels as just some examples.
Speaker 1: There are of course hats too. These are original hats. Thank you Hope, who.
Speaker 3: Is one of our producers and friends the podcast for getting us these original hats, which I'm pretty sure we're gonna have to return because I think they belong to your kids. But anyway, I can't get past the part of me wants to see camp Rock underwear and part of me does not want to see Camp Rock underwear. No. They also had deals with Target, Claires and Limited Too, and as is the case with all modern day decoms, it had an incredibly amazingly well received soundtrack. The platinum selling album features music from Demi Levado, Jonas brothers, other cast members. It reached the top ten in six different countries, cracking the top three on the Billboard Top two hundred charts for four weeks. As you can probably guess from the way that we are talking, the movie is currently available on Disney Plus. So go take a look now or wait until the cows come home and listen to us and talk about it first.
Speaker 1: It's your life. You got to make your own decisions. So I have to know, Sabrina.
Speaker 3: I'm guessing you knew because we've talked about how you thought it was TV movie originally you were familiar with.
Speaker 2: Yes, I was again gotten a chance to. I don't know if it's considered working with the Jonahs brothers. When they were on tour with us during our Christmas tour, you know, they were they crazy enough. They were the opening opening act. It went Jonas brothers, Ali and a J and then us, and so we knew that at the beginning. And these kids were just so I say, kids, Kevin and I are the same age, but they were just so talented and so focused and just I mean the second they go on, you knew them.
Speaker 1: I mean you knew them when they were still called.
Speaker 2: Hanson No no excuse me, sir, no, no, no, no, no, they were just I mean they were going from our shore, our our tour and then sometimes would go and do another show later that night. Like they were just they were getting their butts off. And when this whole thing started to come around from the Daysney Channel, we were just so stoked for them because they earned it. They were talented, and it was amazing to see them really be recognize the way that we felt like they should be.
Speaker 1: So of course, were you share a birthday with which one.
Speaker 2: Nick Jonas September sixteenth, what up?
Speaker 3: Neck?
Speaker 1: And he is he the oldest.
Speaker 2: No, he's the youngest.
Speaker 1: He's the youngest. Okay, gotcha guy, and he is the youngest.
Speaker 2: Man, what a great guy. They were just such good kids, like again kids because they were so squeaky clean and just they were just good, awesome kids.
Speaker 1: Yeoh, Disney kids. But they weren't always Disney kids. And we'll get into that.
Speaker 3: And there were some bumps along the way. I strange enough, you know, we alway, this is to the point where I'm always.
Speaker 1: Like, hey, I've never heard of this movie. I've never seen this movie. But in this case, I had also never heard of this movie or seen this I.
Speaker 2: Thought you were gonna ah man. I leaned right into that day.
Speaker 1: I knew nothing about it.
Speaker 3: I assumed from the title it was out of camp and it had something to do with rock.
Speaker 1: I turned out, I was great.
Speaker 2: But you knew the Jonas brothers, right of course.
Speaker 1: Of course, of course I knew who the Jones bros.
Speaker 2: Were.
Speaker 3: I will say, though you're gonna think I'm lying, but it's this is absolutely the truth. This is the first time I have ever seen or heard anything having to do with Demi Levado. I know the name, of course, but I'd never listen to any of her music. I don't think I've ever heard of Demi Lovado song. I don't think i've ever heard her speak. I've never watched a video. So when she popped up and they it said Demi Levado, I went back to her, that's Demi Levado.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, Yeah, that's pretty shocking.
Speaker 1: I mean literally knew nothing about her.
Speaker 2: She's a mega star.
Speaker 1: She's like a matha star.
Speaker 3: Right again, all the best music in the world was made before nineteen ninety seven.
Speaker 1: I stand right at you.
Speaker 2: You live in that world, okay.
Speaker 1: And so I just didn't know.
Speaker 3: I knew again, knew the name, knew she was a juggernaut, knew she was a superstar, obviously, But the first time I'd ever seen her walk and talk, she might as well have been a black and white photo. I'd never seen freaking talented, And she's very talented, obviously. But it's time to start the party, because our time is here. But first the synopsis, Mitchie desperately wants to spend her summer at the prestigious Camp Rock to work on the musical abilities, but the only way she can attend is so she helps her mom in the camp kitchen, and when a visiting pop star hears her singing, he sets out to find the girl behind the voice while she avoids being discovered as the cook's daughter.
Speaker 2: What did you think, Well, I, you know, watching it this time was kinda a little frustrating to me because I did I was a fan of this one. I really was sure, still am but definitely paid attention. Couldn't help myself but pay attention to the wholes that were within this situation. There are and I think for me, what I watched before was I look at it now and go I think I only watched the performances of this, Like I don't remember any of the blot of things that happened. You know, the ending obviously will get there, but like I was like, I don't know, it was good. I still loved it. I think the Jonas brothers when they get up on that stage, you just see the talent. I think, oh U Ki's just absolutely so good. Her voice. I don't even think they really showcased her voice as great as it actually is in this first movie.
Speaker 3: No, they did a lot of weird things with a lot of talent in this movie where it's like why is that person in this movie, and you don't use what they're good, yes, which I had that with a couple different characters.
Speaker 1: Yeah for me.
Speaker 3: Again, I have no nostalgia tached this movie. There are some big, gaping holes.
Speaker 1: In this movie.
Speaker 3: It's easy to see the star pounder of the movie. Obviously, easy to see the star power of the movie. Like the second the Jonas brothers get on stage, you can tell they are rockstar.
Speaker 2: However, I wish I could ask Joe. I wish I would have asked him back then, what was your feeling when they told you or you read in the script that you were going to be teaching dance?
Speaker 3: Yeah, and the other one's really dumb and they're just that is.
Speaker 2: Not his wheelhouse at all.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're not the best actors in this movie at this point.
Speaker 1: This is the start of their career.
Speaker 3: And that was the thing that's so jarring is the acting wasn't great, but then the second they step on stage with their instruments, you're.
Speaker 1: Like, oh, rockstar rocks.
Speaker 3: That's where they live, they're rock stars, that's where they belong.
Speaker 1: So I didn't hate this movie, but this.
Speaker 3: Coming off a high school musical and some of the others that we've seen Lemonade Mouths some of the other strictly musical musicals.
Speaker 2: What this was not my favorite strictly musical musical. See You're Coming, You're Coming, you are?
Speaker 3: I am, yes, I am able to distinguish which of the horrible diseases I would rather have. I'm kidding, of course, no, I just I'm still not a musical person, but I'm I'm starting to be able to tell, like.
Speaker 2: The difference of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, good way they've.
Speaker 3: Done this back, Like to me, the Teen Beach Movie, the music hasn't stuck in my head the way it has with Lemonade Mouth, where I can still hear the songs from Lemonade Mouth. I remember nothing from Camper, none of the songs. But like the dancing in Teen Beach Movie, the set pieces they were doing incredible, So I'm starting to see why people love them because of the intricacies and the visuals. Some of the music that's written, the visuals really incredible, and I thought some of them faltered a little bit on this one. Like again, I know nothing of dance. I don't think the dance in this movie was particularly good.
Speaker 1: Am I wrong?
Speaker 2: I hate to say it, but like, yeah, it was. It's not great, right, and it's just crazy because they have some really good dancers.
Speaker 1: One especially. Yeah, we'll get into that.
Speaker 3: So the movie stars at mostly unknown singer actress who I just met on the screen, not in real life, named Demi Lvado.
Speaker 1: She's great. She'd be go her career as a kid on Barney and Friends.
Speaker 3: Then was the lead in the Disney interstitial series as The Bell Rings, which were two to five minute comedy segments airing on the channel.
Speaker 1: Then she broke out as Mitche Torres in Camp Rock.
Speaker 3: This was her big one, a role that catapulted her into the stratosphere. Since then, she has focused mostly on her music and went on to sell over two hundred and fifty four million records in the US. With an MTV Video Music Award, fourteen Teen Choice Awards, five People's Choice Awards, two Latin American Music Awards, and a Grammy nomination, she is an A list music icon. She's also become a high profile philanthropist for mental health issues. God bless her because people like myself who deal with mental health, we need more people talking about it. Substance abuse, animal rights, and the LGBTQ community are some of her passions, just to name a few. She's become an a list name, like I've said, and it all started right here. Then there is Joe Jonas, who plays Shane Gray, and I tried to ignore the fact that that sounds also like the lead from fifty Shades of Gray, the bad boy member of the pop trio fake group in this movie Connect three. In real life, he's one third of the Jonas Brothers, a family pop group who all appear in this movie as his bandmates. It was their acting debut and that showed though they'd been making music videos since two thousand and five with some success, but also had a lot of industry ups and downs, which is what we were talking about. They actually got dropped by their label in two thousand and seven, dough to that label YEAO, because wow, did you miss out on the power band that is the Jonas Brothers. And then they connected with Disney and Hollywood Records, and of course the rest is history. Disney and Hollywood Records really know what they're doing with stuff like this. They were closely connected to the Hannah Montana universe and eventually turned into their own reality show on the Channel and participating in things like the Disney Channel games, where if they weren't on the yellow team, probably did very very well.
Speaker 2: Evan was on the yellow team. He knows my pain.
Speaker 3: He knows he knows your pain. He feels it with you. Another fun fact about camp Rock while filming the movie, this is how impressive and prolific these young men were at not only at the time but now, but especially at the time. While filming the movie, they co wrote and co produced six songs for Devin Levada.
Speaker 2: While doing those are probably just some kids that actually made an album. They probably did twenty five of them. I mean that they were just right spewing out talent wherever they were boom.
Speaker 3: And again, as I sit here and say they're not the best actors in the world, I will always then bracket it by saying the second they grabbed their instruments and got on stage, they were rock stars, and you could tell absolutely. They've since, of course, gone on to be huge forces in the music industry, weaving in and out of nostalgic reunions and solo albums, while Nick continues to act in movies like Midway and Jumanji. Jumanji, in my opinion, was the best movie of that year and.
Speaker 1: He was amazing.
Speaker 3: So he clearly kept up with his acting and killed it. He was awesome, and he was great in Midway too. Not not a great movie, but he was good in it. So you know, he obviously was. This was their first and you could tell it was their first, and you got to give him a little bit of a pass for actually being musicians and in their first movie.
Speaker 2: It definitely wasn't their focus at that time, right, They were focused so much on their music, so you know.
Speaker 3: Exactly, so it didn't. It didn't bump me at all. I totally got it, and it was perfect casting. This is exactly what you wanted, not only for the love interest and all that kind of stuff, but also for the synergy of dcoms in the Disney Channel.
Speaker 1: This is what they are amazing at.
Speaker 3: Megan Martin plays the evil villain of the film test Tyler and Man is she mean? The stuck up daughter of a famous pop star who makes Mitchie's life a living hell, and she's another familiar face as a Disney Channel guest star. She would also play Bianca on the Ten Things I Hate About You sitcom and Julie on Awkward and Video Game Fans of course, will recognize her as the voice of Nemine. Am I saying this right, guess is as good as my nominee. I don't know which is even worse to say, because it's in The Kingdom Hearts Games, which I'm also in. Wow, and she is Jessica in Until Dawn. This is where I've started to have a problem, going what are you thinking? Because Alison Stoner is Caitlin Mitchie's new nerdy friend, and at the age of just nine, she was the scene stealing dancer in Missy Elliott's work at Video and then went on to star in the Cheaper by the Dozen movies, which are great.
Speaker 1: But she was also in the Step Up franchise.
Speaker 2: Oh that's where you're I get. Okay, I'm with you now, I'm like, he must have worked with her?
Speaker 1: What he is?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 3: No, I didn't work with her. She's just in some of the best movies ever. If there is a step Up, a Stomp the Yard, a sticket, I am in and she was awesome. She also is now a go to actress in the field of voiceover. You've heard her as Isabella on Phineas and ferb Calie on Pete the Kat and Barbara Gordon in Young Justice. One of the problems I have is I know almost nothing of Alison Stoner except that she is an amazing dancer.
Speaker 2: No dancing for her well in the finale, and the small little bits of yeah, she's not showcased what she is.
Speaker 3: You're casting Michael Jordan and then saying we don't want you to play basketball, Like, what the.
Speaker 2: Hell We're gonna play tennis?
Speaker 1: Yes, it's like she was.
Speaker 3: She's I again, I know nothing of Alison Stoner other than she's a good actor. She's a good singer, but a phenomenal.
Speaker 2: Dance probably one of the best, I mean and so so good.
Speaker 1: One of one of the best of her generation arguably.
Speaker 2: Right, absolutely absolutely.
Speaker 1: And you don't and you don't have her dance.
Speaker 2: It's really and they know that about her because this is not her first thing on Disney Channel. I don't remember what she was, but I you know how Disney Channel has like those little interstitial type things. She was a part of something where it was her and a little she was little little and they would have, you know, Disney Channel stars come and they do little interviews. So she was a part of the channel. They know her very well, Mike Super Short show. Yes, there we go.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, yeah, I remember my super.
Speaker 2: S a little one in there and she was so cute and would.
Speaker 3: Dance yes all the time, and they and yeah, and for some reason they cast her and then they don't have her dance.
Speaker 1: I didn't get it. I had the same thing.
Speaker 3: I will get to it, but I had the same thing with the guy with the drumsticks.
Speaker 1: He's banging on.
Speaker 3: Everything except a genie pair of drums.
Speaker 1: Are you kidding me? How do you not put that man in front of.
Speaker 3: A drum set after setting us up for two freaking hours with him beating on everything else.
Speaker 2: I was angry, Sabrina, and you know how I feel about people just randomly drumming on crap all the time, Like I thought about, this kid doesn't stop.
Speaker 3: Oh we'll get into that, because it's the first thing I was like, Oh, Sabrina, Oh, Sabrina, that's the first thing I thought about. The movie runs ninety seven minutes, which is too long for the bulls Eye. Unfortunately, it is directed by Matthew Diamond, who had worked on TV shows like Family Ties, Golden Girls, That's a Raven three great shows, but Camp Rock was really his first musical. He'd later go on to direct So You Think You Can Dance, and a lot of great TV music specials like Live from the Lincoln Center. Annie directed Billy Crystal Mister Saturday Night, a new musical comedy on Broadway. The movie is written by four different names, but one is very familiar to those of well my generation, Julie Brown of MTVV.
Speaker 2: You know Julie Brown from MTV.
Speaker 3: Now not Downtown Julie, Maybe not then, not Downtown Julie Brown, but Julie Brown, who also appeared in Clueless, Earth Girls Are Easy, which she also wrote, and a Goofy movie. She is the word renaissance woman of her time is so understated. She also appears in Camp Rock. She's the musical director de La Duke. And seriously, if you've got a couple minutes and you want to just look at a bonker's career of somebody who is good at everything, go check out her IMDb because it is all over the place and she has succeeded in so many I mean it's like, oh she wrote that, Oh she's in that, Oh she directed that.
Speaker 1: Oh she it's great, So go check it out. Karen just or Gist.
Speaker 3: I don't know which one. Gist is credited. She's still a very successful writer and showrunner on TV with credits like Mixed Dish, Gray's Anatomy, Revenge, One Tree Hill, and the upcoming movie Sister Act three, So very prolific writer.
Speaker 1: Same with another credited writer, Regina Hicks.
Speaker 3: She's still absolutely killing it too as a writer, producer, and showrunner with credits like The Upshaws, Insecure, and The Mayor. And she appears to still be working with Gist or guest let's say Karen As. She's also working on Sister Act three. And lastly, we have Paul Brown, who came from one of my favorite shows of all time, Quantum Leap, with Julie Brown who also worked at Quantum Leaps. So maybe that's their connection and we might have two writing teams here, but that's just a guess. Okay, we already talked about this, but there's a lot of dancing in this movie, almost none from the best dancer of her generation, one of the maliceon Start, and we've already kind of talked about what you think of the dancing, because again, as somebody who knows and what I mean, nothing about dancing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it didn't look great.
Speaker 2: No, it was interesting because at this point everyone wants to work with Disney, but especially in this world now, like the first movie of the Cheetah Girls, they were trying to I'm sure kind of pulling right now, we're on Camp Rock Days, and it's like everyone in this industry that's doing dance wants to get something on the channel. So you would think that they'd have this incredible I don't know, it just really wasn't what it should have been where we're at in the world of Disney Channel. This didn't hit the mark like it really could have and should have.
Speaker 3: Now, as the resident expert, which you clearly are, is this, well you are?
Speaker 1: You laugh but you are? I mean, is this.
Speaker 3: A problem with the actors dancing? Is it a choreography problem?
Speaker 2: No, it's not the actors that they've got dancers in it, right.
Speaker 1: You've got Alison Stoner, for gods.
Speaker 2: I mean, however, Joe Jonas is not the one to have doing a lot of choreography, right Right. It almost felt like, why wasn't the whole thing like a rock camp. Why did they need to be dancing? You know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Right? Camp pop would have been better.
Speaker 2: I think maybe right with it being camp rock, they didn't really need to move that much. It could have just been lots of different band type stuff, you know.
Speaker 1: Like lemonade Mouth, right, like a lemonade Mouth kind of band slam.
Speaker 2: Right, which they And that's the thing even with lemonade Mouth when they did the finale and they were so they were all dancing so much, it was kind of like, I like what you guys did, like just the instruments, because you need a high school musical, a Cheetah Girls that was more hip hop, a rock band, you need all that, right, Like like they didn't need to do it the same Like as I don't know, I don't You're right.
Speaker 3: They hadn't yet made a foray into rock for young, younger viewers.
Speaker 2: I don't think at this time because lemonade Mouth is way after.
Speaker 3: Yeah, right, so this could have been their opportunity to really rock out.
Speaker 2: That's who they besides Alison and then you know some of the smaller roles. Their main actors were Demi, who's not a dancer, right, and the Jonas brothers, who.
Speaker 1: Are not dancers.
Speaker 2: That's not what they do.
Speaker 1: They're musicians.
Speaker 2: They're musicians, Yeah, exactly. You know, same with Demi because I don't know how many instruments she does play, but I'm pretty sure she at least does the piano because I think I've seen that in one of her shows and stuff. So, yeah, it just didn't make sense. It was kind of reaching when they didn't need to. They should have just really focused on what they had. I agree, except for Allison.
Speaker 3: So before we actually break down the movie, did you have a favorite song? That's one of the other problems I have with this is I literally don't remember a single song from it, except maybe the one they do at the end, where again it's a duet that they hadn't rehearsed.
Speaker 1: That's perfect.
Speaker 2: I liked the song that went throughout the movie, This is Me.
Speaker 3: That's the one that she's that she's writing herself that he's trying to find the voice of.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I kind of remember.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I did like that. I thought it was catchy and I felt like it was like a good message for young girls too, and I think that it really resonated with a lot of fans. So I liked that song. But again, same thing. I remember the performance aspect of the song that the Jonas brothers do. I have no idea what it was about, and I have no idea what the song name would have been. Honestly agree.
Speaker 1: I agree. All right, let's get into it.
Speaker 3: We start with Mitchie excitedly waking up for a bed and immediately letting the audience know that she's very into music by playing almost every instrument known to man, keyboard, guitar, pro tools, and we see a notebook to let us know that she's also a songwriter. We also get a very weird moment where she looks at the camera but also just spins around to look backwards at her own room before she leaves, like she's amazed she woke up in the morning, yeah, which was a little strange. And then there's she breaks the fourth wall and then it never happens again, so almost you almost wonder if it was done by accident or I don't know, But we get her messing around with her hair in the mirror, wearing smaller and smaller sunglasses. She's just getting ready for school as a cool, quirky teen. She runs downstairs for breakfast with their mom, and on the TV we learn of Shane Gray, a trouble pop star in the band Connect three, and he's once again found himself in hot water. He stormed off the set of their newest music video and the label is furious he needs to clean up his act and their summer tour has been canceled. Are they good to tour with? You said you went on tour? I imagine all this is made.
Speaker 1: Up for the movie.
Speaker 3: And they're actually, especially at the time, really great people.
Speaker 2: Yes, the sweetest and super supportive. And I mean, even though our genre was so vastly different from what they did, they would come and watch our sets and you could tell they were just like sponges. They just wanted to learn and musicians, and yes, it was just I mean, they really just were so pressive. And this was before they even blew up.
Speaker 1: So that's awesome, Mitchie.
Speaker 3: So this is where we learned that Mitchie so badly wants to go to Camp Rock the first time we've heard this, a high profile summer camp for aspiring musicians. But no matter how many hints she drops to her mom, it's just too expensive for their family. Her mom's catering business is just taking off, so they just don't have the means. But it still bums out Mitchie and in turn her mom. But good news, her mom has been asked to cook at Camp Rock, which means that Mitchie can attend for a discounted rate, but she does have to help in the kitchen. Mitchie is thrilled, and just like that, we are there at Camp Rock. They set this up where the camp is so musical for the first time we see a kid.
Speaker 1: This is all.
Speaker 3: This is where I was like, oh, Sabrina, because I didn't know what this movie was gonna be. I didn't know if they were all going to break into like wear at Camp Rock, Like, I didn't know any of that. So when he comes out and he starts banging on the thing, I was like, oh, Sabrina's favorite whether they can get a beat from just random keys and kicking birds and whatever the hell's happening. So yeah, and then the fact, raise myself, this kid drums on every freaking thing in the movie except drums.
Speaker 2: Never once, never gets a drum an actually drum.
Speaker 3: Now they don't put this kid in the end as the best drummer in the world.
Speaker 1: I don't understand. It's so many weird.
Speaker 2: We want to see, like Travis Barker looking just like, go, go go, give him a moment.
Speaker 3: Then Tommy Lee, he's ripping it up. He's just a great drummer. But no, so other campers break dance while walking off the bus because they can't even wait a second more to boogie the places. Apparently it's like Fame, if Fame had grass and some serious mosquitos and probably some sort of river flu or something like that. So Mitchie arrives just in time to see Test Tyler, great Disney name. Anytime you get into a literation, it's always great. Test Tyler, a blonde diva whose mom is a Grammy winning pop singer. She's pompously arriving in her own limo. We also meet Brown Cceria, the camp director, who announces he was also in a band called the White Crows, which does not sound like a name you could actually legally use. It's like calling yourself the Rolling Pebbles or Green Floyd. He does seem like a nice enough guy, though, and they make him kind of the cool camp director h English guy rock star. I frankly thought they were going to set it up that actually he was never involved in music, but what the heck?
Speaker 1: They it was very great.
Speaker 3: So we're now back at the camp and Mitchie meets Caitlyn, and aspiring music producer who, in her first scene gives us this incredible small look into her beats.
Speaker 1: If we could play this.
Speaker 3: Clip, Hi, I'm Caitlyn Camber today top selling music producer tomorrow check me out.
Speaker 2: Cool, I'm Mitchie.
Speaker 1: That's it. What a pioneer.
Speaker 3: You can tell she's going to take the musical world by storm because it's and.
Speaker 1: That's it, and it sounds like a video it does.
Speaker 3: We also learn about Final Jam, which is the end of camp performance where somebody is crowned a winner, and it seems like a very big deal, so much so that the musical director says oh la and announces for the very first time, they'll be joined by a celebrity instructor.
Speaker 1: It turns out to be.
Speaker 3: The shamed Shane Gray, who is also a former Camp rocker and the nephew of the camp director.
Speaker 1: Brown.
Speaker 3: His band Connect three wants him to go to work at the camp as a pr move until things smooth over with the label. Also, Connect three told the press he'd be recording a duet with the winner of Final Jams, so that's some added pressure. Not only a Shane, but also on whoever gets to win. It's like you, It's essentially like getting a record contract. You're gonna be with one of the biggest bands of the world. You get to record a duet with the guy everybody wants to record with.
Speaker 1: I don't want to harp on this, and we're not gonna harp on this. I'm just gonna say.
Speaker 3: As rock stars who have never been in a movie before, they were okay, why don't we Why don't we say that about the Jonas brothers because this is not their for Hey, this is always what I like to say. They're much better actors than I would be a rock star O best best way to put it. Mitchie feels inferior and scared. She's not a type A person when it comes to performing, but she feels safe alone at the piano singing, which she does the first day at camp. Shane Gray hears her singing from outside a window because he's avoiding the adoring campers, but he doesn't get to see her face. He just loves what he hears and very clearly is attracted the voice, and he needs to know who that was. Caitlyn tells Mitchie that talent means nothing at camp What a downer, she says. Money rules the social scene, which is why mean girl tests is so popular. Considering Mitchie can only afford Camp Rock because her mom is the manual labor. This puts her in a very tough predicament to be liked. So what does she do what a lot of kids do in this situation. She lies and she tells everyone that her mom is the president of Hot Tunes TV in China, which is the very perfect international kind of lie.
Speaker 1: Like my Canadian girlfriend.
Speaker 3: Sarah, she was real, she was real, she wasn't. And because her mom seems like a very big deal in the industry, now, Tess and the cool girls want her in their cabin. So Mitchie ditches her new nerdy pal Caitlin with those sick beats, she just dropped and has to wake up early every morning to sneak away to the kitchen to help her mom. Also, we realize that Tessa's famous mom pays very little attention to her daughter, and that was sad, and you could tell that Tessa's having these kind of moments because her mom is too busy to.
Speaker 1: Care about what she's actually doing right, very.
Speaker 3: Sad Brown Then goes to teach his very first class ever, and in a very gotta kick it up way, they are already dancing before the lesson even begin.
Speaker 1: I'm not gonna harp on this either, but the dancing it all just seems so awkward. It's really really strange.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Counselor Brown says everybody has to sing in front of the class, and he picks Mitchie to sing, even though she doesn't put her hand up, and after some initial nerves, she blows the class away with her original song, so much so that the cool girls take it one step further and ask her.
Speaker 1: To join their group for final Jam, but singing in the background.
Speaker 3: And you can tell at this point that Tess is only asking her to join because she doesn't want her to go on her own solo mission because she's so good, right.
Speaker 2: She's keeping her enemies close.
Speaker 3: Oh exactly close to the final jam chest, Mitchie was thinking of singing solo, but gives into her peer pressure and her dreams of being cool, so she agrees.
Speaker 1: Did you notice all of the clothing in this movie the wardrobe? Yeah? What did you think about the closes?
Speaker 2: It's all over my sabrinas seems this is at a time.
Speaker 1: Where everyone went to the gap.
Speaker 2: It's more like what is it Contempo or those other stores. But it's like the shirts of the girls are so long, and it's if it's not a long enough shirt, there's a layer under that goes longer. They are just I mean it's just layer layers. Oh yeah. And at the time they even would do if that's the look you were going for, you would even have it was almost just a band that went around your hips. It wasn't even an actual shirt that you would layer. It would go like a band and then you'd put your shirt on over it to.
Speaker 1: Make it that way, so it was like really thick belt. You would first put.
Speaker 2: On this just like a cotton T shirt, like what would be at the bottom of it, but instead of having to wear two shirts, they would create bands, so then you could just always like put your second layer there.
Speaker 1: So it was like a fake second shirt.
Speaker 2: Yeah wow, yeah it was. And the jewelry was very chunky, and I don't know if you noticed that or not.
Speaker 3: I did not notice chunky jewelry, except of course for the chunky bracelet that the.
Speaker 1: Bras becomes important.
Speaker 2: It's a lot.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we are back in the kitchen now, and while helping your mom on the download, Shane suddenly appears so just like misdoubtfire, Mitchie covers thinking quick covers your face and flour, and Shane for some reason acts like a I mean, they've really made him an a hole. He comes out here, yeah, and is just a jerk to her. You know, I have food allergies and I thought my manager set this up. So they're really setting them up like he is the trouble Madonna. Yeah, turtle Prima Donna. And Mitchie puts him in his place, kind of says, hey, don't be a dick, and.
Speaker 1: It starts this.
Speaker 3: Okay, this is another thing I noticed. It starts this movie's obsession with being shamed as being kind of kinky or romantic. And I'll keep everyone loves to be insulted in this movie, and I'll keep pointing it out because she in turn degrades him, and he seems to like it since it's a celebrity. He never hears anything like that. And this just keep I'll keep pointing out. It just keeps happening where somebody's like, hey, you smell and you're stupid, and.
Speaker 1: They're like, oh, my god, I love that. It's really weird.
Speaker 2: It's it's awkward in some points too. Just yes, what Yeah.
Speaker 3: And there's a very kind of very quick personality changes where in one line you're a jerk and in the next line you're instantly kind of almost lovey, dovey and flirty. Yeah, the writing was strange at that point, Shane. It turns out miss teaching his first class, but now he is going to be joining Mitchie and the cool Girls in a dance class, where we hear the iconic line grab a mic and a hat and follow me if you can.
Speaker 1: I don't know what to say about this scene. I just don't know. Can you please take it away? Sabrina? What did you? What did you think of this scene?
Speaker 2: This was again when I'm going I just it's just so far from anything that Joe Jonas is known for would ever want to do.
Speaker 1: It seems like it's not fair.
Speaker 3: How did they not have him teach a songwriting class or a singing class?
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, it just is it. Even in his band, they were not put across as a boy band, right the musician next and scene they're musicians, So it just it really did not make sense. At all to have this scene and it just was frustrating at this point for me. Again, you have Alison, but yes, why wasn't she if she's a producer and a dancer and you know, why not have her do it? I mean they have to give him to do something right, but like.
Speaker 1: This is songwriting class, songwriting class.
Speaker 2: This just wasn't it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, I mean anything, it's it's a strange, strange scene in his movie. He teaches them a routine on the fly that number one shows that he's not a good dancer, and number two there's no way anyone could learn from the speed in which he's working.
Speaker 2: Yes, it was so it was like you do it once and then he goes all right, here we go five six Wait wait wait wait, wait wait wait? Who can I see that one more time?
Speaker 3: It must have killed you as a dancer, that she must have killed you.
Speaker 2: Yes, it did. It really was just I felt that hard.
Speaker 3: Between the and I because you were like, oh god, this is one of this movie so great. I went from people banging on sticks and stuff and then to the bad dance and I was like, really, this is the.
Speaker 2: Part when I go have I not seen that?
Speaker 3: Might?
Speaker 2: Wait? Wait I don't what.
Speaker 1: I might have just had the baseball hat.
Speaker 2: You might have just had the hat and never saw this movie at all.
Speaker 3: Wait a minute, well, Tess is starting to suspect something with Mitchie's supposed backstory, even having an awkward exchange with Mitchie's mom in the cafeteria. Mitchie lies and says she knows the chef only because she's cooked for Jessica and Nick pre breakup and Pharrell.
Speaker 1: I have a question, Yes, who are Jessica and Nick?
Speaker 2: Well, I'm assuming they're talking about Jessica Simpson and Nick Lache. Ah, okay, Nick ninety eight degrees. God, they had a big reality show and I that was big at this time of Okay, I.
Speaker 1: Ask where she thought Chicken of the Sea or whatever was actually real.
Speaker 2: She's the one that yeah, gotcha.
Speaker 1: No, I know who. I actually know who they are. I just didn't know when I heard Justine Nick, I didn't.
Speaker 2: Okay that reference, right, gotcha?
Speaker 1: So the lie is obviously getting deeper and deeper.
Speaker 3: It's now the night of the Campfire performances, which has the Cool Girls singing a song with Mitchie in the background. The song gives very we love to talk about mudslide crush from Lemonade Mouth, very mud mudslide crush vibes, and it's a run for the wildly conceited.
Speaker 1: So anyway, here are the lyrics.
Speaker 2: Yes, here we go.
Speaker 1: You follow and I lead.
Speaker 3: You want to be like me, You're just a wanna be love it or hate it me myself and I agree, you'll never catch.
Speaker 1: Up to me. I'm too cool to know you, to know you.
Speaker 3: And again another sign of people loving to be degraded in this movie. The audience loves it. They're like, oh my god, you are too cool for me.
Speaker 1: I shouldn't.
Speaker 3: I should poke out my own eyes then rather gaze upon your band.
Speaker 1: What did you think of the song?
Speaker 3: It was?
Speaker 2: I mean, I had to rewind it going. I've got to hear these lyrics again. There's just no way. No, you're okay no, I heard.
Speaker 1: It right, Yeah, okay, okay, I got it.
Speaker 2: I heard it right, I got it.
Speaker 1: That was okay.
Speaker 2: Hell Because again it's the same thing that I had said with Lemonade Mouth. I get it. They have to be bad so that when it's good, it's good, but it also is I don't know if it has.
Speaker 1: To be that bad cartoony bad. It doesn't have to be bad.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, yeah, I mean, I agree, I agree.
Speaker 1: Mitchie later finds Shane performing on a bench near the river.
Speaker 3: And he's so mad that she she walks up and he's like, go, what the wow?
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, I'm just I'm gonna walk this way.
Speaker 3: Then seriously, I won't even look at you, my bade.
Speaker 2: It's just so over the.
Speaker 3: Top, curious with her, more shaming, even ridiculing her for saying sorry twice. And guess what, she loves it. Yeah, this must be the origin of negging. This is it. They eventually start to vibe, especially once she insults him by calling the cookie cutter pop music. But she loves the music he's playing now, and he says it's the direction that he wants to go, but the label won't let him. We learned that's why he's acting out. D COM's really involve overbearing labels a lot in their movies. You know. Cheetah Girls is another example, and it's yes, yeah, Lemonade Mouth too. This time it's Lemonadier. I'm sure it would have been about the you know, them selling out and.
Speaker 1: All that kind of stuff.
Speaker 3: Yes, totally, we are now back in the cafeteria, Tests and Caitlin get into a fight, putting Mitchie in the middle, and we get a Disney signature food fight with spaghetti with no sauce. No fuddy just gets dry pasta at this camp because.
Speaker 2: They didn't want to mess up the wardrobe.
Speaker 3: You're like, but this is your mom cooking, do you gey, mom? Go buy a thing of REOs? Like how hard does it get some prego? I'm not saying you got to sit there and cook a marin era from scratch all morning long, but get a can of sauce going right, So it's no sauce. Everyone is just eating dry noodles. I could not get over it. I couldn't stop watching it. It sounds awful.
Speaker 2: One of my Sabrina sees for sure. I was just like, what okay, no, no, no.
Speaker 3: Meatbo No, you eat dry pasta when you can't hold anything else down. It's like that. It's the pasta equivalent of a of a saltine. It's like, what are you doing anyway? Caitlyn gets in trouble for the food fight and is forced to join kitchen duty, which uh oh, we know what that means.
Speaker 1: She might figure out Mitchie's Big Secret.
Speaker 3: But on the good side of things, Shane performs a new song for Mitchie and it is a love song that he plays while staring at her the entire time. Also more lemonade Mouth comparison. Here he's singing with a background track at some point, so he's just singing to her and yet somehow being backed up and no one else is there.
Speaker 2: Right, I knew you were gonna hate that.
Speaker 3: I was like, uh, of course he's got a backup sack.
Speaker 2: We just lost will will come back?
Speaker 1: Hey?
Speaker 3: I thought I lost you at Drumming Guy and basically the opening credits, So don't get me started.
Speaker 1: I know, I know. What do you feel about?
Speaker 3: And this is a trope in most high schools and middle schools, what do you think about acoustic guitar party guy? Because there's always that guy who carries his acoustic guitar to the party. It's like, I'm writing a song and it's like, what do you feel about that?
Speaker 1: Did that work for you?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 2: I there were a few guys in my high school that kind of seemed to always just have their guitars with them and you're going, you know.
Speaker 1: What was the band name?
Speaker 3: Again?
Speaker 1: What was the band.
Speaker 2: Name, Dream Dream something Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And then when I was on Dancing with the Stars, Mark and Derek played constantly. They always Mark really did have his guitar with him everywhere. I remember him flying with it and the way this was like his baby. He could not check it. It had to go on the plane with him. They had to put it in the closet. He could not put it up top with you know. It was like a big thing. So I guess I don't really mind it because I've seen it actually really happening, So it doesn't bother me iver obs because I've actually seen it.
Speaker 1: You always kind of give the side an out of the guy who brought his acoustic guitar to apart, right, You're kind of like she obviously loves the song, and he says you inspire.
Speaker 3: He was inspired by the girl he heard singing on the first day, but neither of them have any idea that it's her. They are certainly falling for each other, but she's lied to him about her mom too, so she's obviously nervous about someday either having to tell him the truth or her lie being found out. It is a tough way to start a relationship on a lie. And speaking of her lie, we've got nerdy pal Caitlyn. She learns the truth when during her dry spaghetti punishment, she sees Mitchie working in the kitchen. But as a true friend, she's decided two things for her A she's going to keep her secret and B she's not gonna dance so that everybody else doesn't.
Speaker 1: Look bad in the movie because she's a muscle.
Speaker 3: Dancer, which then sets up a very crazy part of the movie, which is Caitlin's sleepover performance where she plays a beat and dances.
Speaker 1: I can't keep harping on this.
Speaker 3: They you've got the great, greatest dancer. She doesn't dance well and the song's not great. That's all I'm gonna say. And you've got It's like, let this girl go off and just just say.
Speaker 1: Alison, We're just gonna film you for ninety seconds. Just dance.
Speaker 2: That's all It would take too for her to pull out some just say and it would be incredible scene tricks.
Speaker 3: And I was saying it as a joke, but I honestly wonder if because like you said, Demi Levado rockstar, the Jonas Brothers rock stars, they're not dancers. You wonder if you get an Alison Stoner dancing, if it really just makes everybody else look horrible.
Speaker 2: Oh I mean, I.
Speaker 1: Don't know if they're that good. You know you've got again.
Speaker 2: I could see that being a thing. I couldn't say that being a thing.
Speaker 3: It's like Corbyn who said he just did he loved to dance and sing but didn't play basketball. If you know, you cast Michael Jordan next to him, it's gonna make him look like a.
Speaker 1: Terrible basketball player. Right, So maybe that's what it is.
Speaker 3: I'm hoping that's what it is, because otherwise they're not using her at all. She plays a song that sounds like a nineteen eighty seven Nintendo game and everyone loves it like she's daft punk. So Test, of course, sabotages Caitlyn's performance by pretending she sees a snake and then does a hand signal to her that is now forever in my brain. Do you remember what I'm talking about? The whatever major loser? Oh?
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, yes, It's.
Speaker 3: Like it's like what ever major loser there? It seems like it seems like a long way to go to just get to loser, right, But Mitchie finally stands up to Test, and then Caitlyn admits that at one time she was also a very close friend of Tests and also sold her soul to become popular, that Tests treated her horribly and eventually dropped her, and now she makes weirdo Nintendo beats and dances very badly.
Speaker 1: In Pets. Sane is still looking.
Speaker 3: For the girl with the voice from the beginning of the movie, so we get another ridiculous montage where he walks up to drum Guy and for some reason, even though they're outside and alone, whispers in his ear.
Speaker 1: At this point, I.
Speaker 2: Literally so many of my at my screen. Why why are you whispering?
Speaker 1: Why outside of alone? What do you Why are you whispering? What's going on?
Speaker 2: Who's there?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 1: What are you whispering about?
Speaker 3: But so they just start whispering to each other that he needs to find this voice. The montage goes on, but Mitchie, who's heard this rumor as well, thinks there's no way it's her. She just says, well, he's never heard me saying, which which is a good way to put because she doesn't know. So she's like, gamp be me. Even though they go kayaking together and their relationship is blossoming. It never really comes up, and it's weird that he never asked if she was the singer or describes the lyrics he's heard. But he does tell her most people hang out with him for the perks, and she is different, so they kind of kept it that way. Then, just when things are looking too good to be true, Test figures out the big secret that Mitchie's mom is a cook, and thus she's poor and poor people suck.
Speaker 1: That's, of course what Test thinks about everything.
Speaker 3: Now it is time for the beach jam and we get our first full Jonahs brother's performances Connect three and the I'm sitting there watching, going wow, I guess it's their first movie. But they cannot act.
Speaker 1: And it's not that they can't act. That's wrong. That's wrong, and that's harsh.
Speaker 3: They weren't polished as actors, obviously because it's the first thing they did. And then they get on stage, just the way they walk on stage and they're holding their instruments.
Speaker 1: I was like, oh, rock.
Speaker 3: Stars, Yes, dang, that's where they belong. You saw they took a fish that was a little bit flopping out of the boat. They put it back in the waters like oh.
Speaker 2: Fish like totally.
Speaker 1: And so yeah, you could. That's where they live. They could.
Speaker 3: That is their stage, the spinning around the I mean because again we're we've now seen Lemonade Mouth and bands that were quote unquote put together, and now you've got people that are legitimate rock stars.
Speaker 1: And the way they hold their instruments.
Speaker 3: I mean, look at the way they're holding their instruments and then just quickly go back and watch.
Speaker 1: Poof point and so you don't know.
Speaker 3: You know, this is where they live. They're rock stars, yes, yes, and so it was great.
Speaker 2: Also Andy Lawrence when he does the same thing, You're just like, oh my gosh, that kid plays the guitar like he knows how to play the guitar.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, that's you know, he's another one who travels with his guitar. He just he's at one with the guitar, you can tell.
Speaker 1: Ye.
Speaker 3: So they perform an he's been writing at camp in the direction that he wants and everyone loves it, including his brothers who are playing it with him. But they kind of just realize that they love it, even though they've obviously had to rehearse the song anyway.
Speaker 1: But in the celebration.
Speaker 3: Test exposes Mitchie as a liar and her mom as the chef, which seems actually like a really great job, especially nowadays when you've got the biggest shows in the world like The Bear and Kitchen Nightmares and all stuff. Being a chef is awesome, but in this movie it's like you cook food, you you suck. Unfortunately, Shane overhears it all and now he feels betrayed too. This is the worst case scenario for Mitchie. Uncle Brown console Shane, who thinks he let himself get derailed by falling for Mitchie.
Speaker 1: He needs to focus on his own music.
Speaker 3: Brown also reminds him he's still looking for the girl with the voice, and Shane even sings the part he remembers.
Speaker 1: Idiot.
Speaker 3: Tests overhears this and realize it is Mitchie, and now she must make sure that Mitchie doesn't make it to Final Jam since Connect three are the judges. So we go right into a montage now leading up to the big day, seeing the cool girls rehearsing, but also Mitchie has rejoined Caitlin and her less cool pals to start a new band. We see the competition building, which includes Mitchie trying on a Boa, so we know that they mean business. And now it is finally the Big Days barges into the kitchen with camp Director Brown claiming that the girls stole her bracelet, the bracelet that was set up that her mom gives her a new charm every time her mom wins a Grammy, like you do. I have the same bracelet I wear every time I win a Grammy, I put a new one on.
Speaker 1: No bracelet, no bracelet. So there we go.
Speaker 3: Mitchie and Caitlyn obviously deny having anything to do with this, but Director Brown looks over and wedge between two books.
Speaker 1: Bam, there is the bracelet. He finds it in the kitchen.
Speaker 3: They are now banned from camp activities quote until the end of Final jam unquote, even though it's obvious to everyone that the bracelet was planted. Brown repeats again he has no proof and so quote until the end of Final jam unquote and leaves.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 3: Shane is still in need of recording his duet for the label, and he hopes he'll find the girl with the voice of the show. But we know that's impossible now since Mitchie is banned from attending quote until the end of Final jam unquote. But somehow, right before the show, Mitchie gets really excited to still attend Final Jam because she's figured something out. So now we're at Final Jam. Test gets into a fight with her two mean girl band members backstage and they finally stand up for themselves and they abandon her, which is finally a good and nice come up and for the bully, we get the stakes for Final Jam. The winner gets a big trophy and a chance to record with Shane.
Speaker 1: So we have to assume.
Speaker 3: Everyone, this long list of people at Camp, act after act after act after act is going to fight and bring their a game to win the trophy and record with Shane.
Speaker 1: The first performance comes up.
Speaker 3: It's a group called the Ostila v The Crue, and it's a rap song from characters that we hardly know and haven't seen in the movie at all.
Speaker 1: This is a question.
Speaker 3: They perform a song called Asta la Vista, all about camp and how hard it will be to leave. So, if you're trying to win a big music contest, isn't this a very specific song about the camp?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 3: I don't know how they would have any appeal to win, but anyway, it's bad decision making.
Speaker 1: And now, hey, but we've moved on. They were great. They do some dancing, we get some rapping. It's fun. The second performance now comes up.
Speaker 3: It is Tess now a solo act because her two backup singers have walked away, but she is still introduced as the it Girls. And guess what, Tessa's mom made it to the concert great, But in the middle of Tessa's performance, her mom takes a phone call, which throws her off. The best part is Tessa's mom just stands up and takes the call while still in the auditorium. She doesn't even walk out and in turn test stop singing. Yet the vocals keep going and even she almost falls off stage, so it seems like she's lip syncing, even though it's it's you shouldn't be able to lip sync if you're at final Jam.
Speaker 1: Come on, this is like, this is not Millie Vanilli or the girl from Saturday Night Live.
Speaker 3: Tessa is devastated by her mom and embarrassing herself, so she just runs off to the corner to cry. It's very sad, and at the last minute we hear someone named Margaret Dupree has entered the competition, and my ultimate confusions set in yet again. It's apparently one of the cool girls that broke off from Tess, who now is a solo song to play. She performs it, it's great, But for some reason, they also now put in a montage of her as the background dancer and a character we didn't know anything about, as if she's now supposed to.
Speaker 1: Be the lead of the movie.
Speaker 2: Also, she's playing the guitar. Now, now we've seen Patna's brothers, you're gonna put this poor girl on stage playing the guitar, which she never plays throughout the whole movie. Never in the montage does she have any type of instrument. No, it's another weird song with like weird lyrics. It is not. I am so confused. I had no idea we were supposed to care about this character this much. No, she has no backstory of why we care about her. Like honestly, it was so confusing.
Speaker 1: So montage literally ends with the fight she just had backstage, like two minutes ago. They showed it again.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yes, yeah, so I I didn't understand why all of a sudden were supposed to be invested in this side character. When her song goes over so well, Test even compliments her, apologizes for her behavior. And the cool Girl. Then they just walk away. There's no closure here whatsoever. Just hey, your song was.
Speaker 2: Good, and you should be told because when it's good, those people should be told that it's good.
Speaker 3: So it's now, all of a sudden, the official end of Final Jam and Connect three is off to judge. So of all of the people at Camp Rock, Margaret entered last second. So originally they were only supposed to be two people performing two performances.
Speaker 1: That's it.
Speaker 2: It looked like a longer list to me.
Speaker 1: But if everyone at the camp yeah, get up there.
Speaker 2: They could have definitely done maybe a montage instead of this new character. That could have been a montage of quick little snippets of different bands different this different that they don't have to even have songs. They could just look like they're doing you.
Speaker 3: Know what movie did that brilliantly, Band Slam. Band Slam did that. They did a mostage of the twenty acts that go before, which is how you're supposed to do it. Anyway, this I didn't get it. So again, you had a fifty to fifty chant. It was either gonna be the It Girls or the Osta Lavista crew. That was it, right, those are your choices. Do you think the Jonas brothers sat there going like, I don't want to record with either the It Girls or Ostell Lavista baby like come.
Speaker 2: On, absolutely well? And also you didn't mention too both of those background dancers of Tess are now in different.
Speaker 1: We're a different bands.
Speaker 2: She walked right into that group super fast. How did she know the song? Was she already on her way out? We didn't know.
Speaker 1: It just seemed really thrown together.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thrown together? Yeah? Not sure why?
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 3: So Brown announces the end of Final Jam, which is when Mitchie appears. She tells Brown quote it's the end of Final Jam unquote, and he is ecstatic. He says, I was so hoping you'd catch on to that. So he tells her to go out there and steal the audiences heart.
Speaker 1: What what?
Speaker 3: So he punished her, but wanted to catch some strange riddle about showing up at the end of the show. This is where I'm talking about great fun actors that are going to go on to take Hollywood by storm, which they are used in the wrong way with stories that had big plot holes in it.
Speaker 1: Because that's what This doesn't make any sense, right?
Speaker 2: How did he even know that she was any good at what she does. He there's never a point.
Speaker 1: He heard her that one time, that one time in the very first and that's it, right, Okay, that's it.
Speaker 2: But couldn't he have heard her at some point for her scene?
Speaker 3: No, because then somebody would have said, you can't hear her voice again, because the Jonas brother is looking for the voice, so you can't hear, which again makes no sense.
Speaker 1: Anyway, Michie goes out. She performs her song to when she sang.
Speaker 3: Alone at the beginning of the movie that Shane heard Mitchie's parents love it, but more importantly, in a nice slow motion but yet fast turn towards the camera, Shane realizes this is who he's been looking for, grabs a microphone, jumps into the song and makes it a duet without any.
Speaker 1: Practice at all.
Speaker 3: And now we have the track he promised the label, but not the winners. That's not what he's gonna record because she doesn't win Final Jam.
Speaker 1: We'll get into that. And now so the love story we all wanted.
Speaker 3: They finish very disney esque without a kiss with interlocking fingers. Side character who's now the lead of the movie. Margaret wins Final jam and the trophy and the chance to record with Shane basically just by beating the one Osti Lavista Baby group and her old leader now Nemesis.
Speaker 1: Tess can't feel like a huge win. I gotta be honest.
Speaker 3: Tess admits the girls didn't steal the brain then she just walks up afterwards again in something it's like, oh yeah, we need to write something.
Speaker 1: So Tess just walks up and goes.
Speaker 3: By the way, I told the director of the camp that you didn't steal the bracelet and they're like, hey, thank.
Speaker 1: Have a good summer.
Speaker 2: I just admitted to my life, have a good summer.
Speaker 1: Have a good summer.
Speaker 3: Sorry that I accused you of a felony.
Speaker 1: Have a good summer, And.
Speaker 2: How would you in front of the entire camp?
Speaker 1: Yes, oh that is the best?
Speaker 3: Okay, So yeah, Test feels like a winter, while Mitchie finally reveals that even though she didn't win the competition, she feels like a winner because it was the best summer of her life. For in Shane reunite and start their relationship all over, this time with no lies at all. We end the movie in a real dcom way with an all out cast jam session performing together a little track, in this case we Rock, which is the Camp Rock song. We saw this in teen Beach movie High School Musical, and it's become the formula for a musical franchise attempt. It is a nice surprise to see all the characters back together and have an anthem for the kids to remember, and the crowd goes wild. Mitch and Shane stare into each other's eyes and again, no kiss. That is the movie, and they do an immediate replay of we Rock over the credits, And it was quite a decision to go back to back, but I bought this at least because, hey, you figure every year at Camp Rock they always end with the same song.
Speaker 1: That's how I in my head, it was like, this is the end of the year.
Speaker 3: It's like in Dirty Dancing where they always end with the big dance that that Patrige crazy does.
Speaker 1: So there you have it is your film. There you have it, Camp Camp Rock.
Speaker 3: Let's do real reviews. I have the one star this week, Sabrina, and I'm gonna read it for you now. This is a one star from Nathan m who says the name is camp Rock, but there's no real rock music. It's all pop, bubblegums, soccer, mom, radio music. Where's the Nirvana or ac DC and Metallica? So disappointing. I think putting in Nirvana, ACDC or Metallica is probably not what they're going for. But he's not wrong about it not being like exactly what you said at the beginning.
Speaker 1: You're like, there's no rock, no, So there you go.
Speaker 2: All right, Nathan, thank you for that.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Nathan. What do you got for five stars?
Speaker 2: I've got the five star with Salvia?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: How you'd say it? Is that how you'd read it?
Speaker 1: I would I probably wouldn't. I wouldn't say it the inflection that you did, which is kind of fun.
Speaker 2: Salvia, Oh Salvia, I don't think I've ever seen that name before.
Speaker 1: I think that's I don't think I have either.
Speaker 2: Okay, anyways, moving on, five star, great movie. I will definitely not revisit it as a twenty two year old.
Speaker 3: Do you think she's being ironic like she's saying like I definitely won't, like I will come back and watch it again.
Speaker 1: Yes, I think that's what she means.
Speaker 3: Okay, all right, Well, we're going to do a fun new feature as we do every week. Actually, this one is not new. It's still a fun feature. Don't get me wrong, folks. Yes, but it's we're going to bring back a feature. It is time for the return of a very past favorite. It's a game we call even more Warped Tour. We played this one when we recapped Radio Rebel, a movie that has a ton in common with Camp Rock. Throughout this movie, many fictional musicians and bands are seen in the form of posters. So I'll name a banner musician and you tell me if it's seen at some point in the background of Camp Rock, or if someone who played on the infamous Warped Tour in two thousand and eight, the year this movie was released. So essentially real band or fake band is. I think what they're saying the first one, and again I always say this, we don't know what it's going to be. We've never we don't know the answer, we don't have.
Speaker 1: You don't have to convince people about that. By this point, people know, they know, they got they know. Okay, here's the first.
Speaker 3: One, Opal Fire, Warped Tour. I'm going to agree with you, Warped Tour. Never agree with their Camp Rock.
Speaker 2: Ah.
Speaker 1: Okay, Jack Number two Horror Pops War Tour.
Speaker 3: Alright, you guys, you get that's that's the point number three, Cabin Fever. You had to have thrown that in from Camp That has to be a rid or strong reference from his movie. I'm gonna say that's that's Camp Rock or a fake one.
Speaker 2: What do you think, Cabin Fever? It's so obvious? Really, No, I'm gonna say warped. It's too obvious.
Speaker 1: Because the movie was subtle rock. Chris Misiala, that's not a band name, that's just a dude.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's just like an artist.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna say that's a I'll say Camp Rock Warped tour.
Speaker 1: Oh, it's Camp Rock. Baby, he's on there. Yeah, he's all over it. He can't, yes, Chris Mizala, is he a posters in the background? Yeah, they're all posters in the background. Okay, yeah, how about the ages? These are all made up?
Speaker 2: Not a this can be right warped top.
Speaker 1: Okay good.
Speaker 3: I had to ben at that point. And finally, Licky Degama Leasy Digama l I c I. So it's probably not Licky Leasy Degama in my in my mind, it's Licky Licky de Gama, Cambro, Camp Rock Yeah, Camp Rock Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yes, Oh we got some of them.
Speaker 3: Okay, Okay, I'm guessing none of these bands even real or fake recorded before.
Speaker 1: Nineteen ninety seven when music was made.
Speaker 3: No, thank you again Jensen for jumping in and making us feel like we are not hip at all?
Speaker 1: Can we now do?
Speaker 4: Sabrina sees, Yes, I'm gonna do the very few that you that we did not already do.
Speaker 2: The first one is, my gosh, she has so much time in the morning to get ready and do so much crap before she walks out the door where you like, I was sleeping till the very last second until I absolutely had to get my seventeen minutes in of hair, makeup, outfit, food out the door right, Like, my gosh, that was like exhausting watching her get ready before she actually went to school. Okay. And then the camp director, not the guy, the girl, the lady that comes in.
Speaker 3: Is like welcome, Like, oh, that's the one who was one of the writers that she played.
Speaker 2: Hey, yeah, was she a needed character? This is one of the things that started. Sabrina sees of like these characters that aren't.
Speaker 3: Really she wrote herself into the part like she wrote herself into the movie would be my guests, because she's.
Speaker 2: Not necessarily the camp director.
Speaker 3: She doesn't really do and she was the musical director but didn't teach any of the.
Speaker 2: Classing right, So she was like a character that just was so and she just kind of popped up here and there. It was very strange to me. Yes, I agree, And then quickly you know I love a good romantic moment. How bad did you feel for Joe and Demi to wear these life that are like.
Speaker 1: You're so, I'm so glad I'm drowning in your love?
Speaker 2: Yes, that, and then I will say it we didn't really pap on it too much. But why could we not get a smooch from Joe?
Speaker 1: And think there should have been a smooch.
Speaker 2: There should have absolutely been a smooch. It didn't have to be a crazy.
Speaker 1: I should have kissed with Alison Stoner dancing behind them.
Speaker 2: Yes, the guy in the background and they're smooching. I needed a smooch. That that's what killed Mery. No smooch, So that those are my Sabrina sees.
Speaker 1: Do you smooch in Cheetah Girls too? No? Don't tell me, don't tell me, I want to find out, don't tell me? And so now thank you for Sabrina sees.
Speaker 3: We are now going to rate this movie as we do one out of ten, one being the worst, ten being the best. Are options for the week are one out of ten, White Crows one out of ten, Dry spaghetti.
Speaker 5: Noodles one out of ten, Dumb Jonas Brothers one out of ten, Poor Chef Moms one out of ten, Caitlin Nintendo Beats one out.
Speaker 3: Of ten, flower white Faces, or of course, one out of ten. Random side character happy endings? What would you like to go with?
Speaker 2: I think I picked last week?
Speaker 3: You you go for it, and you know what I'm gonna say, I'm gonna pick. I love random side character happy endings, but I think I'm gonna pick dry spaghetti noodles.
Speaker 2: Yeah that was a big guy, did I go?
Speaker 3: I think I went first last time with you Lucky Dog, because I gave it a negative number.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, negative number. I will go.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And you know what I'm gonna say that I was really excited to rewatch this movie, and I wish I had kind of just lived in the fantasy land that I was in before. I know, I just because we're really breaking things down, you know what I mean? And I wish I had kind of just like I said, I questioned myself, have I seen this movie before? I love the Jonas brother, I love a lot of the actors in it. Su I'm gonna go and drop it down to more of a six point five, And I think had I not actually rewatched it, I would have been like eight point five post to nine. In my brain, my memory is an eight point five to nine okay, dry spaghetti noodles, But the reality of it is a six point five.
Speaker 3: Dry I'm I'm not too far from you, okay, I'm I'm gonna give it a number we've never given before. I'm gonna give a five point two five what dry spaghetti noodles?
Speaker 1: Yes, because it's not quite a five and a half.
Speaker 3: And it's for the same reasons that you said, Demielevado great, the Jonahs brother's great, seeing the potential right of the casting. I do not blame any of the people in this movie for what happened in the movie, and that can happen. There's a lot of times when you see the movie and you blame it's like, ooh, you made a weird choice or you didn't do this or where you were bad whatever, It wasn't that at all with the material they had. The script was just there's holes in it.
Speaker 1: It was weird.
Speaker 3: There was no resolution for things right, weird montages that came out of nowhere. None of it any of the cast's fault. So the cast alone gave this a five and a half ish M five.
Speaker 1: Point two, five to five point five.
Speaker 2: It does make me really interested in watching the second one because by that time, again, like I'm saying, with the success with having a voice, and also the channel probably figuring out themselves. Oh wait nope, oh no, we shouldn't. We probably will for the next one, you know what I mean. Again, I'm assuming that's what it would be. So I'm excited to watch too. This does not defer me away from camp.
Speaker 1: No, I get it. I get it.
Speaker 2: I and they're all going to be wear the hat proudly still yeah, before I give it back to Hope.
Speaker 3: It's also coming right off of high school musical. You know, you saw the dance numbers and everything. It was just it felt different. And I go back to teen Beach movie that made fun of itself for people singing at the same time and doing stuff like that. And then you got Lemonade Mouth where they're just kind of singing as a band.
Speaker 1: It was like this movie didn't know what it was musically. Yeah, does that make sense? Totally so. And again you have Alison Stoner who isn't dancing. What why? Yeah, so strange choices in this one.
Speaker 2: I mean, I hope to god she dances in the second one.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, how do you know?
Speaker 2: I love her dancing so much that I'm like, I need it. I need it.
Speaker 3: I didn't like dancing, and I like watching Alison Stoner dance.
Speaker 1: I mean, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: It's there's some people that are just they're great at it. So anyway, that's our film. That that is camp Rock. Everybody this week we are also this is very cool. We are very honored to well Megan Martin, who played well, let's be honest, the real B word in the movie tests in Camp Rock to our Park Copper episode. It was such a fun conversation. She is hysterical. She had some great insights into the film, but also dropped a little bit of knowledge on when we're going to bring her back for the second one, which she ended with kind of a bombshell.
Speaker 2: And I put her to the test. I asked for some some dirt and I needed it. I needed to see and she got me this great She was awesome, She was amazing.
Speaker 3: She loved doing the film. By the way, you got to check out the episode. But until then, why don't you listen to a little snippet of what you're gonna hear?
Speaker 1: The shoulder moved from the became a TikTok thing.
Speaker 2: Yes, and it's trending right now. It's trending like bit everyone does that.
Speaker 3: And there's a weird rumor everyone thinks I dislocated my shoulder making the movie, which is not true.
Speaker 1: I did not dis like game my shoulder.
Speaker 3: I just was a fifteen year old with a weird, bony body.
Speaker 2: So it just looks odd.
Speaker 3: I look like I hurt myself by my ligaments are just that of a fourteen year old.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just like someone whose body is not developed.
Speaker 1: So fine. She was so much fun.
Speaker 3: And our next movie is the nineteen ninety six comedy that she ends I don't want to spoil anything, but she ends up talking about Yes, our next movie susie Q, a movie that first aired in Germany and then went to the Disney channel. So no matter what the movie's about, this is a first for us. And this one's free to watch on YouTube. This is not on Disney Plus, this one's on YouTube, so join us for that. You really have no excuse even if you're in Germany, because we're in Germany. I know my cousins live in Germany and they listen to us, so we're there too, so it doesn't matter where we are. Come and join us. And thank you so much for joining us for Camp Rock Camp Rock two. Looking forward to it, but remember to subscribe to our feed and you can follow us at the Magical Rewind Pod on the Instagram Machine.
Speaker 1: Bye everybody, Hey,