Speaker 1: You're listening to Comedy centralow.
Speaker 2: From the most trusted journalists at Comedy Central's America's only source for news. It's The Daily Shown with your host Michael coast.
Speaker 3: Well, welcome to The Daily Show. I'm Michael Costa. We've got so much to talk about.
Speaker 1: Tonight, President Obama shows off his rap skills. John Kelly gives Trump a history lesson, and I'll fix our entire voting system forever.
Speaker 3: You're welcome.
Speaker 1: So let's get right into it with another installment of Indecision twenty twenty four. We're thirteen days away from the election and it's a toss up at this point.
Speaker 3: In the past few weeks, Trump has made the.
Speaker 1: Pulls tighter than his shirt collar around his little neck puss. So now Democrats are bringing out the big guns, starting with a rally last night in Detroit, where the opening act was local legend Eminem. That's right, people, Slim Shady aka Marshall Mathers aka the reason Stan drove off that bridge.
Speaker 3: Stan, you really think stars like Eminem read their own mail? Idiot? But oh man, this is gonna be good.
Speaker 1: Eminem has recorded some of the most brutal tracks of all time. He has a song where he stuffs people in the trunk of a car. He rapped about wanting to see President Bush dead. He called his own mom a slot. The point is, Eminem is going to destroy Trump, so let's go. The spotlight is on us.
Speaker 3: More than ever.
Speaker 1: And I think it's important to use your voice.
Speaker 4: So I'm encouraging everybody to get out a vote.
Speaker 5: Please, please, please, Wow, this guy got polite.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Now, everybody in the three one three, put your mother hands up and fill out your voter registration the timely fashion.
Speaker 3: Please.
Speaker 1: And em didn't even perform, But that was okay because he was just the warm up to Barack Obama, the real wrapper of the night. I was feeling some kind of.
Speaker 3: Way following Eminem.
Speaker 6: Now, I notice my palms are sweating me's week. I'ms a heaven Bamaha, my sweater rudder mon spagett it. I'm nervous, but I'm a surface on the comb and run it for drop bombs, but I keep bomb forget it.
Speaker 1: Holy shit, did he just come up with that on the spot. I mean, that was so good it should be a song.
Speaker 3: But it's nice to.
Speaker 1: See Obama pay homage to Eminem because it means that black people have finally accepted that Eminem is the greatest rapper of all time.
Speaker 3: Hey, look close, stop, I know how it feels.
Speaker 1: I went through it every time Tiger Woods won a golf tournament. Okay, I will say, maybe Obama should skip that line about dropping bombs.
Speaker 3: You know, are you still rapping? Are you doing a drone strike? Too real? Don't laugh? Too real, too real, too real. But even if you were to be let down that Eminem didn't go.
Speaker 1: Hard, don't worry, because over in Wisconsin, an up and coming rapper drop an epic Donald Trump distrack.
Speaker 3: He's duck to Bates, but you can't blame him.
Speaker 1: When you get your ass whip that hard, you don't come back for seconds.
Speaker 3: He has been rambling more than the normal rambling. He calls it the weave.
Speaker 2: Donald.
Speaker 4: Come on, we know there's only one weave that you know anything about.
Speaker 7: Being at McDonald, he looks much more like Ronald McDonald and the clown that he.
Speaker 1: Actually is, and Ronald wears less makeup.
Speaker 3: His running mate, Elon Musk.
Speaker 1: Look, Elon's on that stage, jumping around, skipping like a dipshit on these stuns.
Speaker 8: You know me?
Speaker 3: Wow?
Speaker 1: Wow, this campaign has changed Tim Walls. A month ago he was like, oh gee, Whizzy, I love going dimon nerds, And now he's all, how about you suck my nerds?
Speaker 3: Huh, yeah, suck my Nard.
Speaker 1: And I know some people think it's stooping to Trump's level when Democrats throw around insults like dipshit, But personally, I think politicians should be swearing way more often. Audiences always love it. Oh yeah, isn't that right, you dip shits?
Speaker 3: I swear audience.
Speaker 1: But the biggest attack against Trump at the moment isn't coming from Obomber or Walls.
Speaker 3: It's coming from one of the top people in Trump's own White House.
Speaker 9: This morning, Donald Trump's former chief of staff and retired General John Kelly, with a blistering rebuke of the Republican nominee for president, calling him a fascist with no concept for.
Speaker 1: The rule of law or the constitution.
Speaker 3: What do you think? Do you think he's a fascist?
Speaker 10: It certainly falls into the general definition of a fascist for sure.
Speaker 1: Wow, Donald Trump's old chief of staff is calling him a fascist.
Speaker 3: That is huge.
Speaker 1: Although I will say telling America you're about to elect a fascist is a.
Speaker 3: Pretty major thing to announce. In an audio clip. You know, you.
Speaker 1: Couldn't put on pants and say it into a camera. It's kind of like if aliens were invading and the President told us in a screenshot from his notes app just seems like the wrong medium.
Speaker 3: Let me back up here for a second.
Speaker 1: That word fascism gets thrown around a lot, and it's one of those words you hear frequently, but you don't actually know what it means, like emoluments or demure.
Speaker 3: So let me give you a definition.
Speaker 1: Fascism is a nationalist political movement that builds a cult around an all powerful leader who vows to protect his loyal subjects from racially inferior others and the enemy within. Now now that you know that, upon hearing John Kelly calling Trump a fascists, you're probably thinking yeah, er. By the way, Kelly isn't even the only general who served with Trump who feels this way. General Millie, Trump's chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, also said Trump is a fascist to the core. General Mattis, General McMaster, both Trump cabinet officials have said Trump.
Speaker 3: Violated the Constitution.
Speaker 1: And keep in mind, these guys were the adults in the room in the first Trump administration, keeping Trump from going full dictator, and they're not going to be there the second time around. Maybe it's just me, but I'm not ready to put the future of American democracy in the hands of Secretary of Defense, my pillow guy.
Speaker 3: But it gets even crazier.
Speaker 1: It gets crazier because, according to John Kelly, Trump's such a fascist that he even has an all time favorite dictator. And if you're thinking no, no, no, no, no, no, it can't be yes, it.
Speaker 4: Can he would call it more than ones that.
Speaker 6: You know, Hitler did some good things too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, Hitler did some good things. I mean, after all, he killed himself.
Speaker 3: Do we clap at that? Are we? Seriously? Trump? Hitler never did anything that he even sucked at.
Speaker 1: Waving like, dude, God gave you elbows, use them.
Speaker 3: That's how I wave.
Speaker 1: But what Kelly explained in an interview with The Atlanta Magazine is that Trump what Trump really loved about Hitler was how he surrounded himself with yes men, or as they say in Germany, yah men.
Speaker 11: The title of the piece quotes Trump as once having said I need the kind of generals that Hitler had, Trump adding people who were totally loyal to him that follow orders.
Speaker 1: I feel like Trump took the wrong lesson from the Holocaust. The lesson I learned was not to do the Holocaust, but the lesson he learned was, well, the Nazis were great listeners. And apparently the first time Kelly heard this, Trump didn't mention Hitler at first, he just said German generals. So Kelly tried to give Trump an off ramp, but he wasn't.
Speaker 3: Taking it, Kelly told Goldberg.
Speaker 11: When Trump raised the subject, he responded by asking, do you mean Bismarck's generals. Kelly went on quote, I mean I knew he didn't know who Bismarck was or about the Franco Prussian War. I said, do you mean the Kaiser's generals. Surely you can't mean Hitler's generals. Said yeah, yeah, Hitler's generals.
Speaker 3: I mean, Kelly was trying so hard to give him an out.
Speaker 1: Okay, you said German generals, but you don't mean Hitler's generals. Okay, you do mean Hitler, but you mean like Nathan Hitler, the guy my wife goes to pilates with.
Speaker 3: Right, help me out here, man, help me.
Speaker 1: I love how he was like, you mean Bismarck's generals, right, my man. The only generals Trump knows are the Chinese one that makes that chicken and the guy who teamed up with Shaq to sell car insurance.
Speaker 3: That's it.
Speaker 1: Anyway, This is pretty indefensible stuff, and when Trump does something truly indefensible, you can always count on Fox News.
Speaker 3: To defend him.
Speaker 12: It's your job to do with the president wants. And I could absolutely see him go. Now, you know what, it'd be great to have German generals and actually do what we ask them to do, knowing that's maybe not fully being cognizant of the third rail of German general's we're Nazis or whatever.
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, did you just whatever? The Holocaust whatever is for.
Speaker 1: Insignificant things like when you put the plastic recycling in the paper recycling. It's not oops, I did a genocide.
Speaker 3: I like that kill meat thinks.
Speaker 1: Praising Hitler is a third rail, like it's a taboo subject.
Speaker 3: That's not pc to discuss at the office anymore.
Speaker 1: Uh, you can't even compliment a woman's haircut or tell her about all the good things Hitler did anymore.
Speaker 3: Thanks woke police.
Speaker 1: This was even a little too far for some of the other people on the couch. Watch Steve Doocey as he realizes where kill Meat is going with this.
Speaker 12: You know what, it would be great to have German generals and actually do what we asked them to do.
Speaker 1: Poor guy, He looks nervous, his palms are sweaty, me's weak arms heavy, goes vomited on.
Speaker 3: His sweater already.
Speaker 1: Look, almost everybody has figured out that Hitler was bad, but for that one person that didn't, who also might be the next president.
Speaker 3: Great job, everybody.
Speaker 1: Maybe the media can drive that point home a bit more.
Speaker 4: Here at the History Channel, we've spent the past three decades pumping out World War Two documentaries for Grandpa's but we're starting to think we haven't been clear enough about whether or not you should root for Hitler. So we're eliminating that confusion with our new lineup of World War Two programming.
Speaker 3: Join us.
Speaker 4: Mondays at seven four Defeating the Fury, who, to be clear, was the bad guy, followed at eight by Hitler's generals, the also very bad guys behind the main very very bad guy. Then at nine one hour of just a black Screen that says Hitler was bad, plus All of our other shows now have helpful graphics in case you forget halfway through that Hitler was bad, And of course you can still enjoy all our other programming like Ancient Aliens.
Speaker 12: I believe that the Pyramids were built by aliens, and even I know Hitler was bad.
Speaker 4: We've even teamed up with our sister network to present Shark Week, the Hitler's of the Sea. Wait, does that make Hitler sound cool? Forget it, so please enjoy the History Channel. The h is for history, not Hitler, who was bad.
Speaker 3: I can't believe that to say.
Speaker 13: When we come back, I go home to Michigan. Don't go away, alcome last.
Speaker 3: Of the show.
Speaker 1: Last night we aired part of my investigative series on the electoral College and now the thrilling conclusion.
Speaker 3: We're breaking news now.
Speaker 8: The cocky clown Michael Costa headed to the battleground state of Michigan, going there to see if they.
Speaker 3: Will ask the national popular vote.
Speaker 8: It's still a long shot, especially now for someone as aft as Michael cost.
Speaker 1: I'm in Michigan, the state known for being where I'm from, at the capitol to inspire lawmakers to pass the national popular Vote bill. It's got so I'm speaking with Carrie Ryan Gans, the sponsor of the bill, to find out how to get it pushed over the finish line.
Speaker 3: How does this National Popular Vote bill get voted on it? And where does that happen?
Speaker 14: So on the House floor. If we get it on the agenda, we'll be able to have it. But you put up on the board and we will be invited to vote on it.
Speaker 1: And you feel like you have the votes you need, yes, So then why not just pass it right now while your boys here?
Speaker 3: Well, I do expect a vote by the end.
Speaker 9: Of the year.
Speaker 3: End of the year doesn't really work for me.
Speaker 1: This is the time that I'm going to be in Michigan because I got a.
Speaker 3: Flight in thirty six hours. Who do I have to talk to you to get this bill passed? Because I'll do it.
Speaker 1: I'm like the most famous guy from Michigan ever, well besides Tim Allen, but that guy sucks.
Speaker 3: Well, we have been really busy.
Speaker 1: This term voting on what's the best fight shop in Macinai Island. No, we don't need to well, which Michigan are can eat the most snow?
Speaker 14: No, we've been doing important work, so we do deliver. We do want to vote on this, and this is really a nonpartisan issue.
Speaker 3: What can I do to push this through?
Speaker 1: Because let's be honest, if this thing passes, who's the hero boom right?
Speaker 3: And I need that right now?
Speaker 14: You know, it might be really helpful to hear from just more people in Michigan. The general public I think would totally support this.
Speaker 3: You want me to hang out with the general public.
Speaker 1: Yes, my mission was clear. If I was going to get this bill passed before my flight, I had to use my star power to get the people on my side. Because one thing was certain. I will not pay a change fee.
Speaker 3: How do you feel about the electoral college tick? It sucks? Does it feel outdated? Sometimes?
Speaker 1: I'm not a fan of the electoral college. I'm actually more of a fan of popular vote. What if I told you that tomorrow there might be a bill being introduced that would support a national popular vote to determining the presidency, I would be uh, I would be excited.
Speaker 10: I think that would mean Michigan's.
Speaker 1: Just right on the right track.
Speaker 3: So maybe that's gonna happen to mine.
Speaker 10: I'm not putting money on.
Speaker 3: That, okay, but if it did happen tomorrow, Terry, that would be great.
Speaker 1: Look into that camera and show me the face you're gonna make if the National Popular Vote Bill passes.
Speaker 3: Go ahead, I think a popular thing is a good one. Would you want Michigan to pass the National Popular Vote Bill? Hell yeah?
Speaker 1: Would you want Michigan to pass the National Popular Vote Bill? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Go great?
Speaker 8: Go light who.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that settles it. Michigan needed to pass the National Popular Vote Bill. Michigan, let's get this National Popular Vote Bill done.
Speaker 8: Who.
Speaker 1: After checking my victory balloons at security, I started wheeling and dealing on the floor.
Speaker 3: What are you here for?
Speaker 1: We're hoping the National Popular Vote Bill gets introduced and passed today. Would I single handedly be able to get Michigan to pass the National Popular Vote Bill? Specifically, before my flight National Popular Vote the word was getting around that Costa was in the House and things were starting to happen. We're hoping the National Popular Vote Bill that's introduced today and voted on, that's got up.
Speaker 3: That's got up. That's why we're here.
Speaker 1: But after a tedious legislative session, this is not our bill.
Speaker 3: Relax, it's not our bill.
Speaker 1: It was clear the vote was not happening. It could be in the Delta sky Lounge in thirty five minutes.
Speaker 3: I can't do it. I gotta go.
Speaker 1: I can't believe it.
Speaker 3: It's too bad.
Speaker 1: Man shot Michigan lawmakers. You have really left the people, but more importantly me down.
Speaker 3: It's okay, buddy, God damn it.
Speaker 1: John King's gonna have a field day to this thing.
Speaker 3: This breaking news.
Speaker 8: The depressing dufus Michael Costa has failed to get the national Popular vote Phil passed here in battleground Michigan. He didn't even get it on the agenda. Now, it's not an end to the National Popular Vote movement, but it is. It's definitely an end to anyone caring about Michael Costa. In fact, they're just getting exclusive footage of a dejected Costa leaving the Michigan State Capitol. Take a peek, just like the little sad boy he is, and CNN can now officially project Michael Costa is pathetic.
Speaker 7: Dun king out and welcome back, David Hogg, and they're joining me on the show, so don't go away.
Speaker 3: Welcome back to the David Show.
Speaker 1: My guest tonight is a leader in the fight to end gun violence and the co founder of the Leaders We Deserve Pack.
Speaker 3: Please welcome David Hogg. It had it all right, Star getting You're twenty four years old. You're twenty four years old.
Speaker 1: You co founded March for Our Lives after surviving the Parkland shooting to support gun control legislation. You've now co founded Leaders We Deserve Pack. Yes, tell us what is that? So it's basically the second step in our process. You know, we work to with March for Our Lives to help elect better people to change gun laws. But our generation is getting old enough now that many of the young people that marched out with us, that protested with us and organized in twenty eighteen in the largest student protest in American history, are now old enough to run for office.
Speaker 10: So my philosophy, So my philosophy around that is, if our government is not willing to change gun laws, then it's time to change whoosing government.
Speaker 3: Oh sure.
Speaker 10: And the way that we do that, Michael, is we help fund great generational leaders under the age of thirty for state legislature and under the age of thirty five for congress, people like Congressman Maxwell Frost and soon to be Congresswoman Sarah McBride in Delaware, and work that I'm on a day to day basis on everything that they need to be able to win.
Speaker 1: You're tired of old people having a monopoly of power in our government.
Speaker 3: But isn't one of the solutions just waiting?
Speaker 10: Well, funny enough, I think that that's our long term plan.
Speaker 1: Ultimately, you know, whenever people stick it out, they're gonna die exactly.
Speaker 10: But it's about creating an intergenerational coalition in our government. So many of the greatest presidents we've ever had, whether that was Abraham Lincoln, he was twenty five when he was first elected to the Illinois State House.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 10: Lbj was twenty eight when he was first elected to Congress, Joe Biden, And I know this is hard to believe for the younger people. It was twenty nine when he was first elected. And those men went on to become so successful, I believe because they started when they were so young. And it makes sense. If you start when you're young, you know how to get stuff done. And if people want to know more about what we do, they can go to leaders we deserve dot Com.
Speaker 1: So yeah, silly question, do young people want to run for office? Because it seems to me like and I'm an old man. It seems like every young person I see is just on TikTok.
Speaker 10: Well, they are certainly on TikTok, yes, but they're also engaging with all kinds of things on there because they all want to help create a better world. Ultimately, we see young people over the past several years, ever since Donald Trump got elected march for their lives in the form of March for Our Lives. We've seen them protest, to fight for action on climate change, and so much more. And ultimately we've grown up hearing the mantra gen z was taught along inside our ABC's the mantra of run, hide and fight, right right right. I think it's time for our generation to repurpose that and realize it's we have a responsibility not to hide from the responsibility to protect the next generation so that they don't go through this. We have to fight to create that future, and if necessary, we need to run for office to make that future a reality.
Speaker 3: Well how when by the way, Michael, yeh, by the way.
Speaker 10: My mom literally just called me when I was a makeup that she wanted me to say that she has a huge crush on John.
Speaker 1: And this guy's got comedic timing, you know what I mean. I was just about to promote it some more what you were doing.
Speaker 10: But if anything, Michael, you guys know the importance of having young people join a show for example, right, and johnstill comes on once weeks, So your show is an intergenerational coalition.
Speaker 3: That's true.
Speaker 1: And I honestly, John I think thinks the rest of us are all just the same person. So but when you're it's not when you're looking for a gen z, I know, it's like, hey, I.
Speaker 10: Know you're different. I watch the show religiously.
Speaker 3: That's thank you for real.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, But so like they're older people, they watch it on a cable channel. You watch it on your friend's YouTube or something. Yeah, great, which is which is why nobody has any money. But when you're looking for a gen Zer to run, you've said you're looking for someone that has the juice.
Speaker 3: Yes, what is the juice?
Speaker 10: Great question?
Speaker 3: Do I have the juice?
Speaker 10: Well?
Speaker 3: Can I get some juice? You?
Speaker 10: I think it's possible for anybody to get it. But I think that you, especially as somebody that does this work to help communicate the news to young people that so often are tired of hearing cynical worldview constantly. The thing that I hate most is the I think the greatest threat to our democracy is also on the things that keeps me up the most at night, obviously, which is the hopelessness and apathy that so many young people have. That is a self fulfilling prophecy. And I don't think that you have that. So I think we do have the Jews.
Speaker 3: I got the Jews, but I think.
Speaker 10: In terms I got the Jews in terms in terms of what does the Jews really mean? Though, fifty percent of what decides who we endorse as a candidate, it goes beyond our questionnaire and where they stand on the issues. That's forty nine percent of it. Fifty one percent of it is why are you running for office. We're not here just to support somebody because they they want to have you know, congressmen or woman next to their name, or they want to be a representative just for the sake of having power, for the sake of having power. We want to elect somebody because they want to use that power for good, to help the people that don't have it right now, to help build a more perfect union. And part of how we do that is our candidates. They don't take corporate money. We don't take corporate money.
Speaker 1: I'm going to ask you about moat. Yeah, let's talk about money. So, first of all, there's a great movie that came out in nineteen ninety two called Juice.
Speaker 3: You weren't even born yet, you weren't even a thought yet. Your parents probably hadn't even met yet.
Speaker 1: Now, the very last scene, he goes, you got the juice now, man, and he goes, no, I just I want you just to think about that.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I'll have to follow up on it.
Speaker 3: Money. So I go to leaders we Deserve website. Yeah yeah, And before I.
Speaker 1: Even really read the bio and see the video, it's like, yo, click here for some money.
Speaker 3: So that has me thinking, where is your money coming from?
Speaker 10: So that's a great question.
Speaker 3: You're welcome.
Speaker 10: When we started. When we started, it was a huge risk that we took because we were actually ready to launch on the day, the day that we were supposed to launch, twelve hours before Donald Trump got indicted the first time, right, and then we launched a week after that, and then he got indicted a week yes, right, But when we launched, we had no money actually, and what happened is we took a huge risk and we put it out there. We raised over a million dollars in our first seventy two hours.
Speaker 3: Ye is crazy.
Speaker 10: And what I'm most proud of, by far, is right now, in our first fourteen months of existence, with just a small team of four people and great friends around us, we've been able to raise nearly twelve million dollars to support young people. But that would not be possible without one hundred and thirty thousand individual donors who donated on average far less than one thousand dollars to our organization. Are No single person has control over us other than just making sure we do the right thing and our candidates do the right thing.
Speaker 3: I mean, we need more.
Speaker 1: Once you take money from a corporation, it does change things, doesn't it Just a little bit.
Speaker 3: It taints things a little bit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and so you're saying that that's not what you got, Okay, great young men of your generation, not putting us all on you, But I am curious a lot of them are supporting Donald Trump.
Speaker 3: Yeah what's all that about, dude?
Speaker 1: That's a great question. Yeah, well are you? And as leaders, we deserve supporting Democrats, progressives, conservatives who.
Speaker 10: So right now. Excellent question.
Speaker 3: I'm not just going to be your friend. They're gonna push back alot.
Speaker 10: You absolutely should. We support young progressives running for state legislature in Congress, and the main places that we look for them are people that have a background in social movements, people like Bryceberry, who's running and will soon be the youngest person ever elected to the Georgia State Legislature at the age of twenty three. He is a seventh grade algebra teacher, Jesus and a former organizer with Mark Carlans and then the So's.
Speaker 1: That's really also proving that if you know algebra, it still has no relevance in the mind.
Speaker 3: Exactly. You got to become a state legislature Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 10: And so that's really what we're what we're doing.
Speaker 1: If you could talk or give advice to Kamala Harris, the one thing you could tell her to mobilize young Democratic voters, what would it be? And please tell me has nothing to do with the Huktwah podcast.
Speaker 10: It does not. What I would say is listen to us and what we're saying.
Speaker 3: Thing I just showed out WHI I was. I didn't even say that, right, right? Yeah?
Speaker 10: What I would say, what I would say is listen to us and what these what these young people are saying, and what we're going through right and realizing and I think this to a large extent, she's she's done a pretty good job of that. But there's still a lot more work that we need to do to make sure that we're we're listening to these young people and giving them faith that their voice and their vote actually matters to somebody like the vice president or the future ideally future president of the United States, and that they know that there's a lot more elections that affect you than just the presidency. This presidential election and abortion ban is really going to be decided by your state legislature. And that's why most of the work we do isn't even in Congress right now, it's in state legislatures to help put up a fight against the radical abortion vans were just earlier today. That's why, that's why this year we've been investing. The state that we've actually invested the most in this year is Texas, where we spent over one point five million dollars.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 10: And the reason for that. The reason for that is we know as Texas grows and when we do you flip Texas, because I believe that Texas, like Florida, is not a red state, it is a gerrymanderd in voter suppressed state. Okay, right, If we flip Texas, we could have a future where we don't even need to win Pennsylvania, Michigan, Wisconsin to win the presidency, because all you need is Texas in that scenreo with the key typical Democratic strongholds, and we're not investing for one cycle with our pack. We're investing with time in the market of change, if you will, where we know that we have the greatest advantage on our side that anybody can have in politics. Then none of these corporations, not even people like the Koch brothers, can buy more of which is the fact that we're going to outlive most of the people who are against right.
Speaker 3: It's a good point.
Speaker 1: When we get our ballots, we're always very familiar with the presidency, but there's so many other people on the ballot, and it would be nice if those names were as familiar as well. Exactly, you were survivor of the Parkland shooting in twenty eighteen. Since then, depending on how you fine a mass shooting has been fifty four more mass shootings in this country.
Speaker 3: This could be very disheartening.
Speaker 1: Yet when I see you, when I meet you, and when I see on TV or anywhere, you seem resilient, you seem inspired, You don't seem disheartened.
Speaker 3: Tell me what is the trick? How do you stay up? Because it can break you.
Speaker 10: It can.
Speaker 3: You know that better than anybody.
Speaker 10: It can't. And I'm going to be completely honest with you, Michael, and that truly it's things like The Daily Show. And I'm a good answer, no, but truly, And the reason why I say that is because there's so much negativity and in vitriol in the media constantly. It's hard to watch it when it feels like you're being told constantly the world is on fire. But you still need to be informed watching things like The Daily Show. And really, a huge person that I have to thank for getting involved in politics in the first place is actually John Oliver. Sure, because I started as a young debate student when I was in ninth gradehigh school. I started watching his show and it gave me a completely different perspective into how hilariously corrupt a lot of these different state legislatures and politicians are, but how it doesn't have to be that way. And one thing that was really hard for me to learn, the hardest thing for me to learn after the shooting, and I think this goes for a lot of my classmates, was that it's okay to be happy no matter what you've gone through. And I say that, I say that because I have learned. I've learned it is an absolute happiness. Joy are not anathetical to progress, no matter how hard the issue is that you were working on. They're an essential part of it. And that was a hard lesson to learn.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because.
Speaker 10: Thank you. Because after the shooting, there were so many people, you know, naturally, what do you do in a photo if somebody takes it with you, no matter what you've gone through, you smile, right. There were so many people that would make, you know, right wing people online that would make memes of us smile ling, saying these are the faces that you make when you're standing on the bodies of your dead classmates.
Speaker 3: Jesus Christ.
Speaker 10: Yeah, And that had a horrible effect on us, and it really started to tear us apart. But I realized at a certain point that they actually need us not to be happy and believed to believe that change isn't possible, because I know from talking to people like Dolores Fuerta, who I was at a protest with a few years ago, and I asked her, what is the most important thing that you can tell other young people, other activists for them to know, and she said, the most important thing is that you have to make people believe that change is actually possible. If we didn't believe change was possible after Parkland, if we didn't believe change was possible, if we didn't have in some ways the ignorance to believe change was possible, and a Republican state legislature like Florida was, we wouldn't have been able to raise the age to twenty one because we would have listened to those negative ad peddlers and polsters and Shrundans.
Speaker 1: It was a Republican governor, a Republican and you actually achieved some change.
Speaker 10: And we raised the age to buygon twenty one in Florida. And not just that, we passed red flag law that can disarm people that are risk themselves in others and that law has since been used in Florida alone over nineteen thousand times.
Speaker 3: Wow, and.
Speaker 10: Michael guests who uses it most Republican sheriffs, right Republican sharfs, and guess who hasn't repealed it, Ron DeSantis. Because it has such wide bipartisan support, we cannot buy into this lie that this is such a partisan issue we can't do anything about it.
Speaker 1: And I liked I heard you say somewhere else that a lot of the Republicans that helped pass that still got reelected.
Speaker 3: They did, because that is ultimately what it comes down to.
Speaker 1: If they fear, oh, I'm not going to get relected, but they got re elected exactly.
Speaker 3: Some of them are still there.
Speaker 10: But that's why it's so important that young people use their voice. And I'm not going to say to them right now that this is going to get solved. If you just elect Kamala Harris, everything's going to be better. It's not going to be. We're we're putting. We've been left eight the results of a fifty year chess gin that Conservatives have played here through things like the Federalist Society, the Heritage Foundation, and so many of these other institutions that Donald Trump is simply a symptom of, and he is only that a symtom of it. If it wasn't him, it was going to be somebody else. Our generation has to start laying the groundwork now to reverse engineer a lot of that so that we can actually we can reinstate things like Roe versus Weight, so that we can overturn things like DC versus Heller and Citizens United and all these other insane decisions as the Supreme Court is made.
Speaker 3: Keep it up. Thank your positivity is very inspiring.
Speaker 1: For more information, check out Leaders we Deserve, dot Com, David Hogg, everybody.
Speaker 3: We can take a quick RK. That's the show for tonight. Before we go. The Daily Show is official Indecision twenty twenty four.
Speaker 1: Merch Just Drop Proceeds will benefit Headcount, a nonpartisan, nonprofit organization that promotes voter registration. If you want to support Headcount and look great on election Day and the QR code or head to link below.
Speaker 2: Explore more shows from the Daily Show podcast universe by searching The Daily Show wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 1: Watch The Daily Show weeknights at eleven.
Speaker 2: Ten Central on Comedy Central and stream full episodes anytime on Paramount plus
Speaker 8: Paramount Podcasts