Speaker 1: Native Land Pod is a production of iHeartRadio in partnership with Resent Choice Media.
Speaker 2: Welcome Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome home to the Native Landing on the podcast based that's it for greatness sixteen minutes. It's so hit, not too long for the great ship, high level combo politics in a way that you could taste it then digest it. Politics touches you even if you don't touch it.
Speaker 3: So get invested.
Speaker 2: Across the t's and doctor i's kill them back to get them staying on business with ride. You could have been anywhere, but you chose us Native Land Podcast, the brand that you can trust.
Speaker 4: Yes, why didn't anybody tell me we were bringing glasses?
Speaker 5: Welcome home y'all.
Speaker 3: Dwayne, Wayne, Wayne, you got the.
Speaker 5: Hyne Wayne glasses.
Speaker 4: That is hilarry.
Speaker 5: You know I used to load lan.
Speaker 4: I don't have any glasses.
Speaker 1: Well because the hip hop, you know. Anyway, I have to be honest. Welcome home, y'all. First of all, this is episode seventeen of Native Land Pod where we can give it to you straight, no chaser. I we are your hosts. Angela Is have fake glasses, but we are your real hosts. I am Tiffany I'm just feeling you for it, joined by Angela R. Who's feeling you for it, which I'll get to. And Andrew, what's up, y'all? I have to say, I love the glasses, Angela love your glasses.
Speaker 5: I am feeling you for it.
Speaker 1: And I don't even know where to start because I just literally seconds ago just listened to Euphoria.
Speaker 3: Guys.
Speaker 5: No, no, no, no, no, you are we taking the glasses off?
Speaker 3: We can, we can take him off now. But I just want to give a shout out to a.
Speaker 5: Different world and shout out dofferent.
Speaker 3: Way around HBCUs.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I love it, speaking.
Speaker 3: To the plight of our brothers and sisters of the hbc U campuses. Y'all have the reason I went to college.
Speaker 5: But can I can?
Speaker 1: I ask you, guys, because you you probably already listened. Have y'all listened to Euphoria yet?
Speaker 4: Of course several times?
Speaker 1: Of course you did, of course you have. I'm still bleeding out from it.
Speaker 3: Andrew trying to read the lyrics there.
Speaker 6: Oh oh, it's so perfect. Can I tell you my favorite part? Tell me it's one little thing that I haven't heard anybody talk about yet. Kendrick's diss is six minutes and twenty three seconds. Yes, what is the nickname for Toronto?
Speaker 5: Is it Crody? Because I've been trying to figure out the six.
Speaker 6: No, Crody is what crips in Toronto call each other instead of brody. Oh, he was in there when I tell you he was in there, But I think he made us six minutes because Toronto is the six. Oh, the cleverness, the cleverness of it, the brilliance.
Speaker 5: Welcome home, y'all.
Speaker 1: This week, I'm sure you've heard by now that the judge overseeing the criminal justice trial with Donald Trump facing thirty four accounts related to hush money, they call it for the alleged affair between he and Stormy Daniels. He was fined in that case nine thousand dollars for violating the courts gag order. Nine thousand dollars. Yeah, but this all happened on the heels of an interview he granted Time Magazine and which he said a whole lot of wild stuff. He declared that if an election was in November, or when the election is in November, he would bypass the law and deploy US military to detain and deport migrants.
Speaker 5: If he's elected, He hedged.
Speaker 1: On the possibility of more political violence if he's erected. He was basically saying his elected victory is inevitable. He would also permit states to decide whether to prosecute those who violate abortion bands. I can't even stress how dangerous that is. So for everyone thinking this election won't impact you, the GOP front runner is threatening to use the US military for his political agenda. We're going to be talking about that all through the show today, so stay tuned. But here's what else we're talking about on the show this week. What Because we like to talk about things that you didn't just hear on cable news, the things that you don't hear on cable news. We like to talk about things that are not being discussed. So we're going to start with this. But if I told you that hundreds of people, mostly black men, were being killed in the most painful and gruesome ways and the government was in on it, Yeah, it's a true story. Stay tuned. I'll tell you what I'm talking about. And guess who's hiring. All of a sudden police forces across the country. They show an increase in their ranks for the first time in four years. We'll get into why and what that might mean, and right on target. We've already seen their work across college campuses where professors and students alike are being met with state sanctioned of violence.
Speaker 5: It's ridiculous what we're saying.
Speaker 1: We're going to dig into the continued unrest across college campuses all over the country. I have a question I want to ask my co host when we get into that. Should these schools still hold graduation. We're going to see what Ango and Angela think about that. And I've always got Georgia on my mind. Shout out Today, the new battleground state is yet again struggling with a new voter suppression bill that could have dire consequences for the Biden Harris administration. That's something you have not heard about in the echo chambers. We're going to get into that. And finally, yes, everybody, calm down. I know you want my thoughts on the NBA. I'm going to give them to you. But there is more than just the games. The playoffs.
Speaker 5: Excuse me off some playoffs.
Speaker 1: The NBA playoffs and my predictions for the finals.
Speaker 5: Thank you. I was given a teaser at what I was actually going to talk.
Speaker 3: About clean I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: Anyway, We're going to talk about how you guys might be watching these games in the future, so stay tuned for that. And before we get into the show, I just want to give you all a little bit of history. If you're listening to this podcast, fresh off the presses Thursday morning, thirteen years ago today, on May second, Osama bin Laden was killed by Steal Team six, a group of Navy seals. Twenty four years ago this week, South Africa was miired and talks led by their newly elected leader Nelson Mandela to end apartheid and a whopping five hundred and thirty years ago this week, Christopher Columbus arrived on the coast of Jamaica, set in the courts for the Spaniards to slaughter the island's original inhabitants of peaceful people known as the Arrowoks. Ain't nothing new under the sun, y'all. All right now, now that we're throwing it back, let's push it for it, Nick, take us down ninety five thousand, drop that base.
Speaker 5: All right, Well, I.
Speaker 1: Mentioned the time interview that Donald Trump did. Did you guys have anything on that?
Speaker 6: We actually have a question about what would happen if we get stuck with Donald Trump for former years.
Speaker 4: AT's say, listen, hey Native Lampard.
Speaker 7: My name is Sean, I'm twenty two years old and I'm from Atlanta, Georgia. I was just wondering if you guys had any advice, any tips, any suggestions, like literally anything about how we the people are going to deal with the next four years. We are probably sadly going to have Trump as the president, and we could potentially have a Republican House and Republican Senate, and because of that, these projects twenty twenty five policies will be passed that make or break our daily lives. So as these issues are coming upon us, how are we as civilians going to react or should react or should prepare ourselves for the next four years of our lives? Any suggestions on how the people are going or should survive?
Speaker 4: Sean?
Speaker 1: We were Sean shout out to the atl and stay tuned Sean because were gonna talk about something coming out of Georgia and later in the show.
Speaker 5: But I need Sean to keep up hope. Did y'all feel like he was.
Speaker 8: That?
Speaker 3: But my advice is do everything you can to prevent that from happening.
Speaker 5: Especially at a background.
Speaker 3: Stay.
Speaker 5: Come on, Sean, don't give up hope.
Speaker 4: You know, I understand where he's at.
Speaker 6: Though, when you look at what's happening and feeling like the folks that we fought to get to the polls for in a pandemic, a lot of folks who you know, don't necessarily have the access or the privilege of access to information that we have, don't.
Speaker 4: Really feel supported and hurt and fought for.
Speaker 6: So my advice to Sean would be make some calls to the White House and let folks know where you need to see them, how you need to see them. Kamala Harris is doing an economic tour right now that is incredible. She's been stumping for a reproductive justice. We need the same kind of energy for DEI and some other things like let folks know what you need to see so that people feel like they can be powerful and fighting. We also talked about some things on this podcast about what's happening in states and the kind of ads we want to see. Keep those kind of pieces coming. If we know that our ideas are being heard and we start to see them being made manifest even what's happening with the marijuana pardons are changing it from a scheduled one drug. You know what I'm trying say, reclassified from schedule one to Schedule three. That's major. I know it's not recreational, but it's still major. And so how can we, yeah, how can we lift up some of those things so that folks feel a little more hope filled and hopeful. And I mean with Sean, but I understand, yeah, I want to make sure I understand.
Speaker 1: Vice President Harris. I know, Angela, you mentioned the whole Mama Wad thing. If you guys can stay after, we should do a mini pod on that. If you guys are free to do that.
Speaker 6: I'm gonna make time. I'm gonna reclaim my time on that podcast.
Speaker 5: One thing that frustrates me.
Speaker 1: I have to tell you guys, the echo chambers cover two or three things a day, and there's so much more happening. And this is something that happened that I've referenced on the show that I want to just tell people about the hundreds of black men being killed in the most heinous of ways. In an analysis of more than fourteen hundred lethal injection executions conducted in the US, for the past forty two years. A new study shows that states made significantly more mistakes during the execution of black people than they did with prisoners of any other races. I want you all to take a listen to what happened when these botched executions take place, and remember this disproportionately impacts Black men.
Speaker 5: Take a listen.
Speaker 9: To keep the prisoner from feeling any pain, executioners would administer three drugs. First, they would inject something to knock the person unconscious, usually an anesthetic or sedative. Second comes some sort of paralytic meant to cease all movement in the body, and finally, a drug to stop the heart, usually potassium chloride. But here's something that shocked us while researching this piece. The man responsible for coming up with a three drug cocktail. He says he acted on a hunch. By his own admission, Doctor A. J. Chapman, did no research before coming up with the idea, and Chapman later admitted he was quote an expert in dead bodies, but not an expert in getting them that way. We may have been sold the myth of the painless execution, but many people on death row know how painful it could be, so some prisoners have asked to be killed a different way. The vast majority of execustions for the last forty years have used lethal injection, but other methods are still on the books, like electrocution, which one medical examiner said essentially cooks the brain. Still some said they would prefer that execution method because the electric chair usually takes around two minutes to kill someone. Lethal injection has taken over two hours in some cases.
Speaker 1: All right, I was horrified when I heard this, And the problem is because of a very punishing criminal justice system. The amount of black men that are sent to death row. In Louisiana, the odds of a death sentence were ninety seven percent higher for a black men whose victim was white. And in Oklahoma, a study found that cases with white female victims, cases with white male victims, in cases with minority female victims are more likely to end with the death sentence in Oklahoma with none white male victims. So I just when looking at this, I was mortified. I read this in The Times a couple of weeks ago, and it just occurred to me. I don't even know how you all feel about it. So Angelin, Andrew, are you all I don't know where you stand on the death penalty. Do you think it's something that should happen.
Speaker 6: I I've never been for the death penalty.
Speaker 4: I think that.
Speaker 6: You put yourself in the shoes of God when you take someone's life, and so I just I don't support it. I think what's remarkable to me are the folks who are allegedly pro life or anti choice, who are very gung ho death penalty, almost like aggressively so and that hypocrisy has always been, you know, really interesting to me that once the person gets here, you no longer care about how they live or if they live. So, yeah, I don't. I don't support the death penalty. I certainly understand when you have some situations where you know, it's hard to look at someone or see someone living if they've taken the life of your loved one, But I just I don't I can't do it. Yeah, I don't know what I would do if, you know, face it, like in a situation of self defense or something like that. But the death penalty, sentencing someone to death is not my choice, and I don't think it should be any of ours.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Andrew, what about you?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I've evolved on this one because you know, when I was younger, it was if someone did something to my mother, I'd want to kill them, you know. And now that I'm a you know, a husband or a dad the three kids, I think, Man, if somebody you don't got to kill them, if you you know, if you do something that traumatizes them in such a way, you touch them, you do you know, you you know, you can imagine the scenarios in which you just want to wrap your hands around somebody and bring them to heal. But you know, the beauty is is That's why I wouldn't be a jury rists in my and a trial that involved one of my children right or one of my relatives who I care about and love deeply. And an evolved system, you would think that people would be able to look at these things and and and even for the families who have seen the aggressor put to death for what they did in violation of their loved ones, they don't feel any more complete at the end of the day. They don't feel any more healed, they don't feel any more hole, they don't feel any more reconciled. They don't feel like there was an eye for an eye. There is no justice in that once you take my love loved one's life, and I think the reverse also has to be true. That being said, when I ran for governor, I did come out against the death penalty. I still am today against it. But for me, it was an evolution. I think I was thinking with my you know under you know, not most matured mind about it. Right, It was retribution. It was if you've come from me, we come for you. And in an evolved system of justice, I think we've got to we've got to figure out as a society how to get beyond it. But you're you're reporting on this Tiffany with regard to the disproportionate application of the death penalty as a sentence when when black folks sit in its crosshairs. Think about the number of black folks who have been sentenced to death and weren't even appropriately found guilty, like you know, they've been adjudicated through you know, the Innocence Project or organizations like that that are out there to to to make sure that if you put someone on death row, you better make sure, make sure, make sure, make sure, double check, make sure that you've got the right person. And unfortunately, if you execute someone that's irreversible, you can't take that back. Yeah, uh so, and always I think we are impacted, and I think we're impacted and get the short end of the string on that one every time, and sentencing and the application of when the death penalty gets ascribed to you, and then obviously in the carrying out of the death penalty, which you've highlighted here.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, look, black and Latino men make up fifty thirty one percent of the population and make up fifty three percent of death row inmates. So it's outrageous to see that this is happening. And I think you know, the prison population is often overlooked and not talked about. And so we just want you all to know your loved ones who listen to us, that our brothers and sisters in prison, you are not forgotten about here at Native Land. Welcome home y'all if you do get to listen. And just you know, we want y'all to know that y'all on our hearts and we acknowledge your existence because you matter. But this is right on topic with another report that came out this week about police swelling their ranks yet again. More police officers were hired in twenty twenty three than in any previous four years, and fewer officers overall resigned or retired. This is all according to the two hundred and fourteen law enforcement agencies that responded to a survey giving their numbers. And I bring this up because pendulum swing and this one is swinging again. And just because it's not a breaking news banter where we were seeing our blood spattered across TV screens every few minutes, does not mean that these types of violence aggression towards black people specifically aren't happening. We certainly see it happening on college campuses, which we'll get into. But if you guys, I want you to listen to what police are facing. We actually hear from the Palm Springs police Chief Andrew Wells, and he talks about like basically what he's hiring.
Speaker 5: So take a listen and we'll talk about it. On the other side, this was.
Speaker 10: A horribly tremendous experience over the last few years where you had COVID, the uncertainty of whether or not you're going to come home because of that, and then real and that right into a lot of social unrest. I think that they're looking for, or that community where they see support.
Speaker 9: He says, policing in twenty twenty three is a tougher job than it's ever been, as officers are expected to deal with social issues such as mental illness and homelessness.
Speaker 10: Right now, the police are the only ones here to handle things that are incompany on all society. And I've got a twenty four year old kid with a BA degree or maybe a high school education, trying to solve problems that PhDs can't solve.
Speaker 1: So this is I think what we're seeing a lot of across the country now with this overly pronounced police force on college campuses. And this is not anything new, do you guys, remember I police, forgive me if I get this wrong. But there was a pool party somewhere in Texas and this police officer ran and tackled this girl, a teenage girl, like he was squaring off with a linebacker and tackled her, a young black woman to the ground, a young black girl to the ground. And I just look at these statistics about police swelling their ranks, and I just wonder, should this unrest end peacefully on college campuses. That does not mean that this aggressive police increase is going to end their tactics, So just want your.
Speaker 3: Turfing on it. Yeah, yeah, Before you know, to go back to the reporting, the reporter said that police are dealing with issues that they haven't had to deal with before, like homelessness and social unrest. Right as far as I can remember, police officers, certainly in my community, we're dealing with homelessness pre COVID back when you know, then two thousand and three when I first ran for office, social issues. I'll tell you what the big difference is. The big differences is there is greater accountability.
Speaker 7: Now.
Speaker 3: We saw in the George Floyd case, the first you know, near first successful prosecution of law enforcement for the murder, the senseless murder of George Floyd. We know that through body worn cameras, through people taking footage. You know, anytime they see law enforcement encountering citizens, that the pressure is on them to actually live up to the high expectation that should accompany any job where you have the ability to take life and almost be unaccountable for having taken life, right if you if you carry the power of God on your waist belt. There ought to be cameras. There ought to be accountability. You ought to be investigated upon use of firing, of pulling, and obviously the execution of citizens. In that regard, there's there's there's aside from the militaries, there's there's no other place in civil society where we give the power of an individual, a man, a woman, a person to be judge, jury and executioners should they decide? And so No, it isn't homelessness and social unrest. That's different, and in creating demand, it is greater accountability and there ought to be more of it.
Speaker 8: Right.
Speaker 3: The fact that we could name the cases in which police officers have been accountable tells you enough that we're not seeing enough accountability in the system when we can name check them. I want to see a system where it isn't name check, where it is routine that these evaluations and systems of accountability kick into action. But I don't buy that one read sin that what's different is that we got a police homelessness now.
Speaker 1: Yes, on site, Angela, you've dropped in our group chat. This is a horrific interview with the former president.
Speaker 4: I was just pulling it up. Yeah.
Speaker 6: I think what is most unnerving to me is someone who was elected as the law and order president running for reelection now even though he can't obey a lot or in order is talking about really wanting to see immunity, not just for the January sixth insurrectionist in terrorists who he also said that he would pardon, but also he said that he wanted police officers to have immunity. And that is really terrifying to me. Yeah, he wants them to be immune from prosecution. That, of course is a lion, you know, a lion's share beyond what has been the case, which is they have some protection from being personally sued. That has not We've been fighting for that to be overturned for some time. But he wants them to be immune from criminal liability. So if we use that, look at an example that I know pricked the consciences of many in this country with George Floyd. The officers who were prosecuted for the murder of George Floyd that we all saw on tape, they would not have been prosecuted because they would be immune in their official capacity. That is what Donald Trump is saying that he wants to do. So for me, that makes me really nervous. Like we've seen no matter who's in office, no matter who is the president. Police officers who are rogue, who only protect and serve some and shoot to kill others. And what he's saying is I want to make it so that they are not prosecuted. In some ways, they would say dog whistle. I think that as many times as they say, Donald Trump says the quiet part out loud. The fact that there was ever a quiet part, right, and the fact that you can now articulate it verbally is the whole problem.
Speaker 4: This should have never been the quiet part.
Speaker 6: The quiet part should have always been challenged, and by virtue of the fact that now he's not only saying it loud, he's doing it loud. His actions are loud. He is rogue, and he wants officers to be rogue. I don't know what that means for this country. I am not trying to be gloom and doom, but I want people to know what's really at stake, and this is severe and it's all in print on time.
Speaker 1: It's hard not to be doom and gloom when you read that the picture he paints in in this interview. I thought the interviewer did a great job because he was fact checking him in real time, and he said, but mister President, violent crime has gone down, you know, and this is a time of risking police swell their ranks. And he's saying this is according to law enforcement, many of whom support you, and Donald Trump says, Nope, I don't believe it. That's not true. Another thing I think we have to do that is from the FBI and not the local and a lot of his supporters, by the way, support abolishing the FBI if it is law and order. President, by the way, But I you know another thing that I think this may be a mini pod because we also have to think about the future of policing, right and how so as these agencies are hiring more law or enforcement officers I was reading I think from Reiters, they were saying how they're also spending money on like more body cameras, which I think is good, but also license plate readers, drones, thermal imaging, shot spotters, investigative technologies, video surveillance, facial recognition technology. And when we think about that in the ways that we are disproportionately harmed by law enforcement, I mean, we're to me again, I hear you, Angela. We don't want to be dooming gloom, But we could be looking at a dystopian society, a police state. We're people police have to your point, no accountability and a president who also has no accountability. So what does that mean for a peaceful transition of power? What does that mean for a peaceful protest that happened? What does that mean for people minding their own business walking down the street, and like stopping frisk policies could could re emerge. So it's it is frightening, It is doom and gloom to me.
Speaker 3: Well, I tell you the first of all, we we're we're not unfamiliar with what it is to live in a society where law enforcement gets to act without accountability from its very beginning, by and large, you know, back in you know, during the Western expansion toward California, you know, you'd put you shaffs would put a badge on uh, their their sibling or a friend so that they could lawfully kill uh an enemy of theirs. Right, And so it's not unfamiliar that this is this is where Trump wants to take us back to where and more accountability is attempting to be had for people in power who have gone unchecked law enforcement being at the epicenter of that. These folks are saying, hey, how do we get how do we get to go out and do our job when we got people pulling out cameras all the time. You ever see these law enforcement folks who say put away the phone, put down the phone. These are passer buyers. Right in Eric Garner's case, we saw a similar situation. Law enforcement turned their anger toward pedestrians, saying, put down the phone, put down the phone. They don't want accountability. And now what this man is attempting to do is to introduce the lawful killing of civilians, to reintroduce the lawful killing of civilians with again without any accountability whatsoever. And then finally on this Tiff and Angela, do y'all remember the good old days when people across political ideologies, we're talking about the need for the de escalation of law enforcement, the need to reform police departments so that they weren't just you know, gun carriers, but that you had folks who did civil patrol and traffic, You had folks who were homeless and social workers, and that whole.
Speaker 5: Complex. I giving the police force military equipment.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and look what we're going back to Yeah, well, look at now what what he wants to throw back to, But look at what.
Speaker 1: We're seeing right now on these college campuses. I think it will. I want to get into that because it is hard to not address what has happened this week. I do want to get into that because we the violence that we have seen take place across these college campuses has been just unimaginable, quite frankly, So we're going to take a quick break. Pay some bills, but don't go anywhere, because the three of us are going to dive into some of the horrific scenes that we've all.
Speaker 5: Bore witness to this week. So stay right there, We'll be right back.
Speaker 2: You have been born to York University in.
Speaker 7: The Plaza. Now you will be arrested for trust use.
Speaker 3: As the New York City.
Speaker 7: You have.
Speaker 1: From Loyola University in New Orleans to the University of New Mexico to u c LA to Northwestern and Washington U. Encampments have popped up on more than three dozen campuses across this country, and the ubiquitous coverage of students and faculty calling for a ceasefire and a divestment in Israel shows support erupting across the nation and quite frankly across the globe, which we'll get into when we talk about it. But I'm curious to hear from you guys, what does this mean one for upcoming graduations, which I know pales in comparison when we're talking about the level of violence and people who are still being killed in Gaza. But also you know the role of municipalities and how we think they're handling it. But most importantly, I'm curious are these protests having any impacts on US foreign policy? So, Andrew, I wanted to start with you here because you know, you don't think about these things until they happen. But looking at the way these municipalities has handled it like it is up to the mayor to call the police or not, which I did not realize, and mayors have been making that choice. You were mayor of Tallahassee. I'm curious if should a protest like this had broken out on the campus of FAM you, how might you have handled it?
Speaker 3: Well, I don't have to theorize FAM. You was often having protests, not just FAM. You know, I was mayor of Tallahassee, which has two state universities, and one City, Florida and university Florida State. I guess some balloons here Florida State congratulation. Yes, and then and then Tallahassee Community College which is now Tallasse.
Speaker 4: University.
Speaker 3: Yeah, tele Community College. So sixty almost ninety thousand students right here in this area and protests is pretty pretty regular and pretty rampant with the state capitol here. A couple of things. One, typically, law enforcement of a municipality does not enter into a university campus without being invited, asked into, and onto a university campus. Most, at least in our case, most campuses have their own campus based police. That's true here, and it's it's true at Columbia, it's true at many of the other institutions. So the university really takes the lion's share the responsibility of shaping the response to students who are trying to trying to try to protest. I've heard people say in the last couple of days, you know, these protes has have gone too far. They have now gone and sat in and taken over buildings. Well, we took over buildings, we took over president's offices, we took over student union complexes in order to get into attention and to create an inconvenience. That was the point. If we went and sat under a tree that nobody ever saw, what real impact might we have. So it's a it really is annoying to me to hear people say, you know, you know, this was okay when they were outside on the lawn and with their signs and making noise. But when you go into a building, when you go and sit in a president's office, you've crossed the line that that defies any logic around civil civil rights movements citting participation and protests. Woolworths weren't serving black folks in the late nineteen fifties and early sixties. Right to go into a Woolworth and sit at a counter that was reserved for white folks was a provocation. And so with the people who are right now criticizing folks for occupying, for taking up space that you say is not theirs, would you have the same opinion or did you have the same opinion when we were watching the Woolworth counter demonstrations and so on and so forth. What I would say for anyone who is either on a college campus or lives in a college community when it comes to these kinds of protests. I would be very slow to call in local law enforcement unless it is absolutely necessary, and large part because local law enforcement oftentimes does not deal exclusively with students. They deal with some of the more hardened in our community, and not oftentimes protests. And I think sometimes the need to show who is in charge, I'm the authority here, has the intention of escalating a situation and causing things to spiral out of control when we think what we're doing is calling in safety and keeping everyone safe, in fact is the direct opposite. That's not always true with local law enforcement, but I will tell you I've seen far too many occasions, too many instances where we've gone from zero to one hundred almost overnight by the presence of enhanced law enforcement, where they come in with riot gear, warlike vehicles and so on and so forth, and it just has no place on a college campus in my opinion.
Speaker 1: I want I'm curious your thoughts, Angela, because as of Tuesday, more than twelve hundred people have been arrested.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you know, the first thing that I want to say is I have been really watching this and watching my rhetoric and trying to be mindful about how I'm engaging around the protests. Is there something from the other side that I'm missing? Is there a blind spot that I have? I did an interview last week for a podcast, and I was asked, if you know, if I thought that some of the hate speech was okay, and I was like, well, can you give me an example of what you heard, you know, because.
Speaker 4: Maybe I didn't hear it. I really want to know.
Speaker 6: And I think that one I'm concerned when I see Congress, you know, considering a bill that redefines anti Semitism, and then part of me says, you know, I'm really interested in what other movements, what other protected classes we can include in some of this.
Speaker 4: If we are true allies, as.
Speaker 6: We've known the Jewish people to be from the Civil rights movement, can we include in there protections for the Palestinian people? Can we include in there protections for black lives? Can we include in there protections for migrants? Can we include in there right everybody who is who has been hit hard on every side? Can we include them in there to be protected? Shouldn't we all receive that same protection. I'm all for expanding the Civil Rights Act because I don't want it to go away. And if this means we get to preserve it a little longer, by all means let's include who needs to be included. But also because I was so just feeling like the weight of what was happening in the civil rights movement, I picked up Julian Bond's Time to Teach, which our dear brother Van Newkirk wrote that afterward for and I read it a long time ago, and I was like, let me pick this back up. Van, as you all know as a brilliant, brilliant writer, and yes he's at the Atlanta but he wrote that afterward in this book, and in what Van was saying, he talked about sowing seeds of doom, or using the seeds for a paradigm shift. And I think that that's what this moment can offer us, because one of the lessons that Julian Bond gives in this book is that movements at the time are never popular. Popular, They don't like, they don't take off because there's viral and widespread support. They take off because they're necessary because somewhere someone had a conscience. I want us to sit with that, like, if we can put our humanity first, how do we show up? You know, if we can lay aside the labels just for a moment, how do we show up. There are kids now who are going to go into a very hot summer without running water, who are taking baths at hoses with buckets in Gaza, who are going to cool off in the ocean, and those are play days for them, and those are the only moments of fun that they're having. But there are also people like a young woman who I read about yesterday, who has been so traumatized. She's a teenager and she's urinating on herself uncontrollably. Like, this is not the kind of thing that we can turn a blind eye to and say because you looked at me wrong, because you said the wrong thing, because you did the wrong thing. Because you're not speaking up and naming every single hostage, like you're naming the number or numbering the amount of people who died in Gaza. I can't even hear the morality of what you're saying. It's fine to humanize the other side. The folks who are focused on the large numbers of people who are being hit. The folks who are saying, yeah, there was a billion dollars for Gaza in this aid package, but seventeen billion dollars for weapons for Israel, and I got a problem with it. You can certainly make sure that we are conscious and conscientious about what's coming out of our mouths, but let us remember that we need to be standing on the right side of history. Where would you have stood with the Vietnam War protests? Where would you have stood and to sit in with Rosa Parks or the folks who came before her, who preceded her.
Speaker 4: Where would you.
Speaker 6: Have stood when affirmative action was on the ballot in my home state in Washington?
Speaker 4: Where would you have stood? Or would you have just looked and said, that's a shame.
Speaker 6: And the truth is, the real shame are those of us who aren't courageous enough to say something then, because we're worried that our pockets would be impacted, or we're worried that we'll lose an elected office, or we'reried worried that we'll lose friends that ain't your friends anyway. If they don't allow you the space to tell the truth and to ask some tough questions, you are not safe. And none of us are safe as long as we continue to turn a blind eye to this remarkable crisis.
Speaker 7: I take you.
Speaker 3: I got a question for you. Well, I mean, so you've been on the journalism side of this, and I've been baffled by the conflation of protests equaling anti Semitic, yes, and targeted or offended being reserved for only one group of people. Can you help us understand why is it so hard for the for the for the for the media, for the press, and and and I say this with only very few journalists, mostly written, mostly writers who are going on campuses and actually talking to people, understanding what folks are saying, why it's so hard to in telling the story, tell the whole thing?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Well, number one, see, people include more than just Jewish people. So when you say anti Semitic, that can really apply to multiple groups of ethnic people, including Muslims. But the way the media has kind of framed this for the last few decades, it has been specific to Jewish people. And I want to be clear, I'm not covering any of these protests that haven't been on the ground, so you know, I'm bearing witness like you guys are, I think, And I also just want to give a quick shout out to Sarah Snyder, who did an amazing interview this week on CNN with Palestinian student, because you don't see a lot of those voices. And I would say, Andrew, it's because of the same reasons why it was a controversial statement to say black lives matter. It was so often what we consider to be right or moral, even in newsrooms, what we consider to be ethical or unbiased is centered on what is white and what is male, because those were disproportionately the decision makers. And even when you have people of color wise through the ranks, they still carry that same water because that was their training, and we lose I think a part of our intellectual curiosity about these things, just for the journalism lens of this. Yes Hamas attacked Israel or Israeli's killing about twelve hundred people, taking around two hundred fifty people hostages, a horrible thing to happen. In response, the IDs ordered by Netan Yahoo have killed over thirty four thousand people, most of whom are women and children. When we say that, it almost sounds like what doesn't matter if you kill men? All of these lives matter, And I want to I appreciate what your point. Angela because a lot of these things are comprehensible in the macro and not the micro. You tell me thirty four thousand people died, and it's like, oh guy, that's terrible. You tell me the story of one little girl who has play dates in an ocean and who's urinating on herself uncontrollably because she's traumatized, and that is a different story to tell, and we don't see that on a lot of US media. I think Al Jazeera has done solid work in covering this, and you guys will remember twenty years ago Al Jazeera was like, we can't watch Al Jazeera and you know, they're like a terrorist news outlet, and it's just not true. It's been proven to be untrue. I do want to say that these protests have cast a wide net of influence across the globe. It is not just students in the US, but students everywhere across the Middle East and globally are joining with protesters in solidarity, from Kuwait to Lebanon to Egypt and even at the Sorbonne in Paris, Italy, Britain, Canada, and they say that they were directly inspired by US students. So for any students listening to us. We hear you, we see you, and you have sparked a global movement and shifted a policy posture that the United States has had. And I think these voices on the ground are rising up. I want you guys to hear from some of the people directly. Take a listen. This is sound that Angela actually dropped in our group chat from two Palestinians expressing their gratitude for people acknowledging their humanity.
Speaker 5: Take a listen. It gives us a glimpse of hope. Is that to be worth alone?
Speaker 3: And that goes for the efforts made by the students of the universities in America.
Speaker 2: We all lost everything, but we can't lose the hope because you're stunk by us.
Speaker 10: Thank you.
Speaker 1: It's unimaginable what they're facing, and we are not wrong for acknowledging their humanity and calling for an immediate ceasefire. But these students also want divestment from Israel, which is why I brought up apartheid. That you know, in nineteen ninety there were talks and how to end apartheid in South Africa and this I'm telling you to me these there are some people might say it's a false equivalency, but it certainly I think there are some parallels there.
Speaker 3: You know, listening to those two young women, I feel some type of way about it because the folks who carried out the massacre in Israel are not the same people who we see on the screen. They're saying thank you for seeing our humanity Hamas carried out and executed a terrorist attack and retribution for that we've seen almost in a universal attack, almost distinguishing not between civilian and military and terrorists. Everybody's being looped together. And this was part of what why was was getting at, Why the hell is this so hard to see the difference. I was gonna say the nuance, but it's not even a nuance. You have people who carry out an attack, those who are victim of the attack, and then you have innocent men, women, children who just because of where they are forced to live, no choice, forced to live that they are right now the largest community of people who sit at the most devastating level of impact of this thing, And I just for those who are covering it, who are writing about it, can we please start to make the difference between these the roles in which these folks are playing so that we don't cast everybody by the same in the same that upsetting.
Speaker 5: But yes, and I don't.
Speaker 1: I definitely don't want to make like college graduations are just as important as people's lives. I mean, one is clearly more important. People's humanity and their lives are important. But I'm just curious to hear from you guys. Should these schools proceed with their graduation ceremonies.
Speaker 3: I hope so, I mean absolutely, I hope.
Speaker 10: So.
Speaker 3: I gave the example of a speaker who I didn't want at my graduation, I wouldn't an advocate for canceling the damn thing. I was an advocate for showing out against that speaker, but walking across the stage and celebrating my achievement with my peers. Honestly, I do feel for these students because, as you all know, these are the same students who did prom virtually and graduated virtually four years ago, and so many of them are now being hit with the same thing because universities don't know what to do with First Amendment rights.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Well, and the thing is, like, I feel like this whole question about graduation really began with the cancelation of the USC valedictorian speech Asna.
Speaker 4: I don't want to say her last name, Tabisam, sorry if I said.
Speaker 6: It wrong, but you know, they canceled her speech and talked about security concerns and then they were like, throw the whole graduation away and now that's even on the table. Is just like trifling, Like I'm sorry, I understand that at public I mean at private schools, you don't necessarily have free speech. We talked about the last time, you have a code of conduct that generally supports free speech.
Speaker 4: And the right to.
Speaker 6: Assemble doesn't mean you have the right to occupy buildings and spaces and all of that.
Speaker 4: But that is a part of protests.
Speaker 6: Protest is designed to put something in your face and make you uncomfortable. That is the point. And if we can't see beyond that and realize that every time in history where you've had this outsized response and you brought in law enforcement and they look like the military trying to throw kids wherever, you know, starve them out, all of that. Number one, it looks like the thing they're protesting. Number two is it is a slap in the face for those of us who are still traumatized by what happened on Capitol Hill on January sixth, and that was not even your response to like an actual terrorist attack where somebody wipes shit on Nancy Pelosi's desk, you know, for lack of a better.
Speaker 4: Term, shit. You know, it's like, how this is mind blowing to me? It really is.
Speaker 6: And I'm not saying that every single one of these protesters, because we know that all of them are not students, but those who are standing in solidarity with the student protesters, I'm not saying all of them have done every single thing right. But what I am saying is they are probably at their wits end about how to break through, about what else can we say to you about how serious this is about Like why do we need to tell you about history?
Speaker 4: This is a place of higher learning.
Speaker 6: It's an ivy in some of these instances, not all the schools are. But you shouldn't know better than to have history repeating itself. Meet us halfway ensuring that people have equitable access to education in all spaces. If you're going to do something in Tel Aviv and sure the Palestinian people can also attend, that's a part of the protest. Like they're saying we're watching all of this happen. You're receiving resources from here like this is a problem and we should not be so held to a resource elected officials, institutions of higher learning that we won't do the right thing. And right now, these young people can afford to do the right thing because they ain't got bills to pay yet, right some of them, and some of them like yo with that, And I admire their courage to just ask why. Some of it is just a why. Some of it has just explained it to me.
Speaker 1: Well, a follow up to that for you or Andrew, whoever wants to answer, One what impact do we think this will have on the election in November? And two do we think that these protests is having any impact on our foreign policy? The fact is not lost on me, Angela that you point out the seventeen billion dollars that we have allocated to real who's likely using that money to fund the IDF for the assault that we've seen on Gaza. So what is the final impact of all these protests? What's going to be the tangible result?
Speaker 3: I fear, honestly, if I'm being real truthful here, I think Republicans are creating a foil and a straw man argument that Biden and the Democrats are going to want to run away from the lawlessness, the chaos, the crime. You heard Donald Trump during this interview define what the statistics, what the numbers, what the actual reality is, which is violent crime going down everywhere across America, and him saying, I don't believe it, full facts, fake news, right, they are going to create. I think the straw man argument that if you elect Democrats, what you get is protests, chaos, disrespect, occupying of buildings, lawless business, increased crime. And I think the way in which Democrats will answer will be to shroud themselves in safety, security rhetoric, and quite frankly, have little to no impact on what US foreign policy will look like. Joe Biden, on one hand, stood up and said, never again, don't do this. Recalibrate your your your war approach so that civilians are not you know, impacted the way that they are today. And then two weeks later, Gung Host signing a bill sending weapons arms created manufactured right here in the United States of America. You know, center cross that are that are extracting and exacting the same harm that he just decried.
Speaker 5: Well, what did you think about that, Angela? And what Andrew said?
Speaker 4: I was, well, what I was going to ready to tell you?
Speaker 6: I wanted to look this up because I was like, how is the aid kind of divvied up in Israel? So on this on this point, but slightly tangential going back to the original question, United States. This is from the Council on Foreign Relations. The United States provided Israel considerable economic assistance from nineteen seventy one to two thousand and seven, but nearly all USA today goes to support Israel's military. The United States has provisionally agreed to provide Israel with nearly four billion dollars a year through twenty twenty eight, and of course that does not include the supplementary funding for what's happening with jimas right.
Speaker 1: So what do you think that? First of all, that's frightening, But what do you think this means for November?
Speaker 4: Tif?
Speaker 6: You know, I was trying to avoid this question answering it because I just honestly, I'm scared because for the Palestinian people, there's not a win with either candidate, Like, there's not a win.
Speaker 4: It can get worse, it can get considerably worse.
Speaker 6: Right, Like Donald Trump doesn't care like he's he did, did some of the things to agitate Hamas to even go here right in October. We know all of the things he was doing in his administration, with Jared Kushner, with Stephen Miller, with you know, putting up an embassy in Jerusalem to make a statement. We know what he's done. He is only going to make it worse. And then what I think is interesting is he's saying in this time interview that we've referenced already a few times. In the Time interview, he's basically kind of hinting at the fact that he's mad at Bebee but Biban Yahoo.
Speaker 4: But he he.
Speaker 6: Plays both sides well, we've seen him do us since Charlottsville, you know what I mean literally, Like there's good people on both sides, but we know his intention is going to be to support Israel by any necessarily.
Speaker 5: It probably sides.
Speaker 1: I mean, he was very clear he does not support a two state solution anymore, which is I don't know how that could even you know, that's not both sides well.
Speaker 6: And it's not both sides on that, But I'm saying, like him being like kind of hinting at oh, like, well, I'm mad at Yahoo, so maybe I wouldn't work with him like that.
Speaker 4: That's what I mean very specifically.
Speaker 1: About honestly only saying that Angela because the people of Israel are not happy with net Yahoo. So I think he is like hedging his bets that, Hey, people of Israel, I'm still with you. I'm the president who's done the most for Israel, which is not true, right exactly, so he can still.
Speaker 6: But it could look like to some like you know, really well meaning only seasilver lining student young people since we were talking about young people. Oh, he doesn't fill with net Yahoo at all, so maybe we'll have a better run with him.
Speaker 4: That is not the case.
Speaker 6: I don't forget what he did when he was elected in twenty sixteen. He has by far had the most conservative policies, completely alienating the Palestinian people. This is still the man behind the Muslim band, right, Hey, let's be very clear about.
Speaker 3: That first time.
Speaker 6: So he's first, Yeah, this is this is not don't be please, don't be confused, Please don't be deceived, like this.
Speaker 4: Is absolutely the same guy.
Speaker 1: Well, I think what is also in Bolden completely and What is also more frightening, This president will take us to a war.
Speaker 5: I mean he said that too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he has said that, you know, if Iran gets involved, then yeah, he hasn't ruled out that we will go on war. Well, you can argue Iran is already involved. So again, well already what this means foreign policy?
Speaker 5: Heartbreak Andrew. But you go ahead and then after that.
Speaker 3: Break Just to your point bbing at in Yahoo, the reason why he has taken the tact that he has is because he believes that there's popularity in war. If you are standing for us against everybody else, then you're our guy. And I mean, I mean the fear of the terrible part of this is that these folks are willing to use our bodies, our lives, as as as bargaining shits for political positioning to win, to be popular.
Speaker 1: And wartime president's benefit because it does it. It has an impact on the economy, right, it benefits the economy in some ways, but it is detrimental to people and the highest ethnic group I believe this is the case a few years ago. I'll fact check myself, but the highest group of ethnic group that joins our armed services are black women which is something that we also don't talk a lot about. So we've literally saved this country numerous times. All right, we got to take a quick break.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: Coming on the other side of this, we're going to talk about why Georgia is on my mind, should be on all of our.
Speaker 5: So stay tuned.
Speaker 3: Georgia.
Speaker 6: Ooh, go ahead, Andre said, they said Mississippi Goddamn maybe should be Georgia.
Speaker 1: Dang, I love you know, that's one of my favorite Nina Simone songs, Mississippi Goddamn and I we literally still feel that way. But honestly, all throughout the Bible Belt. Uh. Angela and I were on the phone earlier this week talking about just like the Black Battleground because everybody always says, oh, the souths is read, and it's like the South is read until it ain't. Like there are pockets that we can influence. And speaking of that, Georgia is one of those pockets. You know, Georgia is now officially a battle ground state, so whatever happens there actually has big influence, which is why when the GOP controlled Georgia state legislature passed a wide ranging election measure, we should all pay attention and be a bit concern in my opinion. In this new bill, any political party or political body could qualify for the presidential ballot if they or it has already gained access to the ballot in at least twenty states or territories. So you guys think about this in terms of RFK and what that might mean for him under the law homeless people, well the proposed law, because it hasn't been signed by the governor yet, homeless people must also redo their voter registrations. Previously registered voters without permanent addresses. If registered it like shelters or like government offices, well no more. The bill also includes provisions that would make it easier for some of these amateur right wing voter fraud hunters to successfully challenge voter registrations. You guys remember when that bill passed in twenty twenty one and they were overwhelmed with these ridiculous, bogus challenges. Well they've made the path easier for that now.
Speaker 3: These things include committing the crimes.
Speaker 1: Exactly, Thank you, Andrew, because I what a great time to remind people y'all's favored white man president called election officials. They are asking to please find eleven thousand votes, but they stay on some Let's find the cheaters when they're the cheaters. The call it's coming from inside the house. But these these the presumption includes the presumption that the voter has died, or has registered to vote in a different jurisdiction, or registered at a non residential address. So I you know, I guess I put this question to you, guys, I don't know what this means. And since George is a battleground state, but more importantly, what can we do about it?
Speaker 5: Like how do we combat these things?
Speaker 1: Governor Kemp, an expert in voter suppression, by the way, has until Madant to sign the bill. But even if he doesn't sign it, if he just the only way it won't become law is if he vetos it.
Speaker 5: I don't see that happening.
Speaker 3: I mean, haven't they They've done everything but take the right to vote away in the state of true. Yeah, and that's only because it's it's an amendment in the Constitution of the United States of America. They'd have to amend the Constitution. But they've they've they've done everything short of completely take away our votes. But but they're not the only ones, y'all. They these things keep popping up and state of the similar legislation in mind, similar legislation all across the black Belt. The intention is one thousand percent clear, right, And I guess I mean all all I can say is we have to continue to persevere. They're never going to make this easy. No one is going to save us, but us is. And so I mean, it's it's not me throwing in the towel. It's simply saying, if they could, if they can put the roadblock up expected because what Sean was talking about planning the detour.
Speaker 1: Sewn who sent in the question, I'm glad you said it's not you throwing in the towel.
Speaker 4: Andrew like you.
Speaker 1: You're saying, like planned for the detour. And I gotta say, it is hard to overstate the significance of the black vote in Georgia for them. From two thousand to twenty nineteen, the number of eligible voters in Georgia increased by nearly two million people, with black people making up nearly half that number. That's according to Pew Research, and Georgia is one of six battleground states expected to determine the outcome of this election. Angela, you always have like a strong like this is what y'all gotta do in Georgia. I know you gave Sean some words of encouragement. I'm just curious what can we say to the voters of Georgia at large facing this.
Speaker 6: You know, I think it goes back right back to where we were just talking about around movement building, you know.
Speaker 4: Like this stuff is.
Speaker 6: It's not popular, but it's necessary. I was feeling discouraged too again. Part of the reason why I picked up the Julian Bond book because I'm like, how far back are we gonna go?
Speaker 7: Like?
Speaker 6: Why are we going backwards like this? But we have to remember there's always a retraction after progress, and so you cannot give up hope. We'd have every right to fight. We have every right to be here, We have every right and have always had every right to vote.
Speaker 4: So let's not give it up so easy. I also want to.
Speaker 6: Shout out our dear sister and our brother Cliff, Latasha and Cliff for doing the work in Black voters Matter and making the ballot box so much more accessible for our people to win. We all vote for making it a national issue that was detached largely from race for the Brennan Center, who make sure that we're educated on these issues writ large, and for all of our civil rights orgs who make sure that we're informed and we're doing the work and so on. When we need to, maybe we have some more lawsuits, so they on their heels like we've been on our heels on all of our rights. But I really would just say, just keep going, keep fighting. You know, you deserve to drink water and have a snack at the vote at the voting place, but you're you're going to be challenged, and I think that's a part of it. And just remember that somebody did it for us. Let me break out. This is a good time to break out. Harriet, where's my Harriet? Hold on, hold on, hold Michael. There she go, Oh, there she go. There's Harriet. So anytime you.
Speaker 1: Get Harriet Tubmand, this is where you need to pay attention to Michael Harry.
Speaker 4: You cannot have Mike.
Speaker 6: I love Michael, Harriet, but he is not around my neck. This is Harriet Tubman. Shout out to black a f history too, so you understand the retractions we're talking about.
Speaker 4: Michael Harry. We'll talk about that in the book.
Speaker 6: But this is important anytime you get tired, remember that there were folks who toiled and went down roads where there was no path, so that it would make our path that much easier.
Speaker 4: So certainly we can fight to protect our body.
Speaker 5: I love that. I think about that.
Speaker 1: What right do we have have to be tired considering what our what our ancestry went through.
Speaker 4: Well we got it right, we do.
Speaker 1: But I went up myself and get up and keep working a nap when myself I feel tired, I'm like, what right do you tivity?
Speaker 4: I believe it in that ministry?
Speaker 5: Yeah, Andrew, you were going to say something before I move us home.
Speaker 6: No, it better be it better be on topic too, because I don't know what you're doing over there.
Speaker 3: To my Michael, No, I thought about this poem that I had committed to memory so many years ago. Don't see it through, don't quit?
Speaker 4: Oh sorry?
Speaker 3: And it talks about success is failure turned inside out, the silver tint of the closet, doubt it's it's it's when things seem worse that you mustn't quit. Was a line that came to me when you were saying, you know, Angela talked about you know, with with the evolution of time. We make, you know, gigantic steps forward, but then there feels like this whole God leave. You know, we can't, we can't. We can't win for losing, right, the retraction starts and oftentimes it really is sort of like the last stand. Yeah, and it's when things seem and feel worse worse that we mustn't quit. Yeah.
Speaker 5: I love that.
Speaker 3: Don't quit.
Speaker 5: I love that. Okay, we're moving on to basketball.
Speaker 1: And before you get all excited, I'm not going to give you my opinion on the NBA finals or playoffs yet. We'll get into that in a second. But this is what we This is our segment. Politics are everywhere, and politics are even in where and how you watch these games. The companies holding the rights to show NBA games, that's Disney, which owns ESPN and ABC, and Warner Brothers Discovery, the parent company of TNT. They are collectively paying the league twenty four billion dollars over nine years for that privilege. But guys, their contracts expire after next season, and the NBA they set their eyes on to more and double the money it receives, so they're looking at like in the fifty billion dollar range to air their games.
Speaker 5: Take a look.
Speaker 1: But the reason why it's really interesting because sports never like you never hear like, oh, the NBA is down in profit by billions of dollars. People watch the NFL, they watch the NBA. Take a listen to NBA Commissioner Adam Silver on his predictions and thoughts around as they negotiate their next round of TV contracts.
Speaker 5: Take a listen.
Speaker 8: There's so much competition these days in media. I mean, just think of what's going on at TNT in terms of changes in cable, what's happening at CNN, and everything's moving digitally. So as we're looking out the next decade, we got to think about how we're going to produce and present our games in a way where they're going to be easily accessible. Because look, a lot of people you must talk to fans all the time and don't get cable, and they feast on social media, and our players are incredibly popular there, but it's not a substitute for watching live games. And the thing that really excites me, there's been a lot of talk about games and essence being and poured it over to digital platforms, and you saw it with NFL, with NBC in Peacock. Amazon has games now too, but in essence there's still the same games. It's the same feet of the game. What's really exciting to me as you move to these digital platforms, it creates opportunities to do things unimaginable before in traditional television. I mean, frankly, for people who do want to bet and you talk about that, you can do that. If you want nothing to do with that, that's fine. For people who want to buy the shoes the players are wearing that the jerseys are wearing. Who people want to be part of a larger community. For people who want different languages, different dialects, for people who want to listen to commentary from Charles not just during the break but throughout the game, or people want Mike Breen to be doing play by play, or just to hear a group of people who are just fans having fun watching the game. So I think production is going to change dramatically over the next several years. And the other part about our game being global, I mean, even now, seventy five percent of our viewership comes from outside the United States.
Speaker 1: Who knew I did not know that that many people outside the United States even about NBA Africa. But I this is like kind of a microcosm for like the business at large and like how people are consuming sports. I find it so interesting. And I also want to say that I predicted that the seventy six ers Nick game would go into overtime. I predicted it in the fourth quarter when it was not a lot of time less and I'm like, they're gonna tie because I'm going to overtime, am I?
Speaker 7: So?
Speaker 1: I mean, she couldn't have bet that myself. I told myself would have been too little.
Speaker 3: I was.
Speaker 4: I was saud of you.
Speaker 1: I was thinking it and then it happened and nobody was around for me to tell. But I should have dropped it in the group chat, just so y'all knew.
Speaker 3: I literally thought, think about me winning a lot of reasons.
Speaker 6: Okay, can she bet on it sooner?
Speaker 10: Though?
Speaker 1: Can be do y'all Do y'all have anything on that or do y'all have a team that y'all want to tell you gonna think you're gonna win? Whatever y'all want to talk about. I just like talk about sports.
Speaker 3: There's there's not a lot of sectors that are growing, Like yeah, I mean you heard the comer say, doubling. Yeah, right, And and we haven't he talked about the percentage of global viewers. We haven't even begun to scratch the surface of it, right. I just hope, I just hope that the global expansion creates opportunity for both the men's and the women's side. Already, women are going, you know, to China and abroad and get you know, making four times what they might make here in the States. But you know, let let this wild, rapid, incredible growth, both on expansion into other markets, but also in production quality, and investment, and and and and women's games. Let it, let it, Let it be across the board. That's all I gotta say.
Speaker 6: I you know, one of the things that I think is interesting about this is there is kind of a bidding war that's happening, and T and T could very well lose their rights to NBC Universal Comcast comcasts that they're willing to pay right around where Disney is willing to pay. And so what I would put on the table it just in case the NBA listens to us for stress, who you're gonna go with, like obviously you should, I would ensure just like the NFL has a Ruiney rule that they don't do so well at enforcing, but ensure that there's that kind of a process in place. What are the what are the do the executives at these companies look like the players on the floor? Do the do the do the contractors they work with look like the players on the floor? Are the commentators who are talking about these games in between the breaks, at halftime, you know, the pregame, the post game.
Speaker 4: Who do they look like? Do they have experience with the NBA?
Speaker 6: Are you ensuring that there are w NBA players and former players also at that table, ensuring that any ads that those companies bring to the table are doing business with w n B A and NBA players. Is there something that you can get them to do to throw the U NBA a bone. Y'all are partners in this mission, and right now the women about to take you over.
Speaker 4: Tip. I got my seats to this season opener.
Speaker 6: By the way, I want to go. You go Seattle Storm March. Sorry, that's not March anymore. Seattle Storm May fourteenth. They are playing the Minnesota Links. I'm making sure that that is the fifteenth, Like, yeah.
Speaker 5: Grant, we're gonna be somewhere.
Speaker 4: Are we gonna be in my own May fourteen?
Speaker 1: Oh you're right, Okay, we go. We all stay tuned anyway.
Speaker 5: I love everything you said.
Speaker 6: I don't even know where I was going, but my point was make it blacker and then maybe the NBA will consider Adam Silver.
Speaker 4: I'm speaking for you, so you need to run me a check or signing.
Speaker 5: I love all your point.
Speaker 1: Good concern producer, Nick, can you dub like Angelo's voice over my face?
Speaker 5: I wanted to look I was making those points.
Speaker 1: Because that was so good about like the commentator.
Speaker 5: I love how that.
Speaker 1: I seriously though, I didn't even think about that, Like, I was kind of looking at this from like a you know, broadcast perspective. But the social justice element of that I think is so important. The NFL is still the most.
Speaker 6: Well the equity. It's the equity tip more than social justice. Were not asking them to. I mean, it would be nice if they had a Black Lives Matter back drop, but we're just talking about.
Speaker 4: The people who know the game.
Speaker 6: The best should be your commentators, the people who are occupying the seats. You want folks who understand the league doing business with the league. That means it should look blacker. Yeah, how many of your players are black? That's so true.
Speaker 1: But even when you're talking about the people doing business, the contractor is the commentator, like all of that. I think it's so so tantamount to the credibility marketing. Yeah, yeah, employees, market contractors, commentator, all of it. I echo all of that. The NFL is still the most valuable sports league in the world, and they didn't quite double their fees. But I think what you're saying is about even these other businesses wanting to buy. We've seen massive layoffs at Disney across all divisions. You saw a Discovery One Brother's Ways of a ship ton of money on CNN Plus and all the things they're doing. So I want I'm curious how many people actually have the deep pockets to be a real player in this. I take your point about Peacock like they they may be a player, but they're streaming the other streaming services out there. Given the global audience. I wonder if Netflix will will get involved in this, And what does this mean.
Speaker 6: From Amazon is already they have a deal with Amazon that's worth a lot of money. So there's they're slated to make over seventy five billion. The NFL does, but does the NBA, NBA They're yeah, they're working on an Amazon deal too.
Speaker 1: I thought I just read I've read in the time. I thought that was a rumor. I didn't know that there was like confirmed.
Speaker 4: That they breaking up.
Speaker 5: But we don't know, we don't know.
Speaker 1: The streets are talking, the streets are saying sorts we have heard say so to say there may be some talk with Amazon.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but here is an actual demographic number.
Speaker 6: Seventy more than seventy percent of the players in the NBA are black. We would like to see it in the ranks of any organization that comes to the tape wanting to stream or broadcast on linear.
Speaker 5: I love that.
Speaker 4: I love that me too.
Speaker 1: Well, that concludes my sports talk for money the show, and thank you for tuning in.
Speaker 5: But before we go, though, did you guys? Are you guys?
Speaker 1: Is there any team that you see winning the championship?
Speaker 4: Not the Lakers? They only won one of their series games. They're out.
Speaker 5: Lakers are out. Andrew, is there a team that you see?
Speaker 4: You don't You don't have one.
Speaker 3: I don't have a dog in it.
Speaker 1: No, Well, this is what Okay, I don't necessarily have a dog either, But you're supposed to say I want to see a good game.
Speaker 5: I am looking forward to seeing take a girl, I do.
Speaker 1: I was tried in president because she told me, if you don't have a kid, Angela. Angela told me because I was telling her. I was watching the seventy six ers nixt game and I was like, but I don't even care who wins. I just like, I want both teams. I'm rooting for both teams. And she said, no, don't say that, say that you want to see a good game. Yeah, So that's what I'm saying now. I want to see a competitive game. Yeah, and my predictions coming to I'm.
Speaker 6: Gonna tell you one person that I've been remarkably impressed with this season already, and that or this this series already is Jalen Brunson, the New York Knicks.
Speaker 5: It's new to the shooter.
Speaker 1: He was hitting those three yests. He was shooting those three it was so every time. And the other little boy.
Speaker 6: He's gotten several Yes, yes, I'm gonna come back to that eventual. Tyre's Maxie, but Jalen Brunson has had multiple games over scoring over forty points. I want to shout him out, especially because they gave him hell when he was going to the Knicks where his dad works, and they were it was a huge thing, huge scandal. But this is by far a better fit. The MAVs are playing well, but it looks like he's found his home at the New York Knicks. So I'm enjoying watching him play. I'm enjoying these games.
Speaker 5: But I love that his dad work. So I only know that because I googled him last night and I saw his dad was a coach at the game.
Speaker 7: I was it.
Speaker 4: That's so sweet.
Speaker 1: And he got black mom, black daddy, like little family. They just look so cute as a unit. And they his parents met and at Saint John's, I think an undergrad and they've been together since did y'all and I know that, don't hate, don't hate, Okay, I'm gonna.
Speaker 4: Let me just I.
Speaker 6: Want to make sure we know what what is where his dad Actually, his dad used to play in the leagues.
Speaker 4: An assistant coach.
Speaker 6: Yeah no, I know that, but I was trying to get his exact title, assistant coach.
Speaker 4: I don't know why. I thought he was in the back office.
Speaker 1: And like this guy to his son's career. I just think it. So I like their little family unit. I love it, so shout out. Okay, well, you know what, because I like their family unit, I'm rooting for the Knicks. I'm rooting for the Knicks. That's what I just decided. I'm hoping they get Yeah, because you.
Speaker 5: And Spike Lee. He just reminded, Yes, you.
Speaker 1: Know, I sat next to a Spike at a game, at a next game, and he was every bit.
Speaker 5: Yes, yeah, he was every.
Speaker 6: You don't play now if you ask him some questions during the game, you might get cussed out.
Speaker 5: Listen, he was arguing with the players. He was going.
Speaker 1: He started, he was saying something of Van Fleet is that his name? But yeahah, then he was saying something to him. He is hilarious to sit next to. But you know the other thing, these kids, they look like big grown men and then when you look at them, are you just a little boy like they just like in their early twenties, you know.
Speaker 3: AnyWho, another news, roll Central Kitchen founder and chef Jose Andres has announced that they are going back to Gaza as you all know, the well the Central Kitchen, after three vehicles in their convoy. Yeah yeah, seven people, okay, three vehicles. Yeah, sorry, we're we're obliterated. So that's good news.
Speaker 1: And Angel really Central Kitchen incredible.
Speaker 5: Well, thank you for that update. Andrew.
Speaker 1: We're gonna and you close out our sports section with good news because you know, when I get to talking about sports, I can go on and on and on. So I'm glad you stopped the conversation.
Speaker 3: Then yeah, I'll drip from your mouth.
Speaker 1: I just can't help myself. So we're going to take a quick ad break, but don't go anywhere, guys. When we come back, we have calls to action for you. You don't want to miss thee so stay tuned.
Speaker 5: We'll be right back.
Speaker 2: Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, welcome, welcome, welcome.
Speaker 5: All right, welcome back everybody. We're going to be really quick.
Speaker 1: We have three calls to action for you, and I'm going to let Andrew kick us off.
Speaker 3: So today marks the implementation or into effect, the six week Abortion Band and Florida, pushed by the Republicans. Almost half the women don't even know that they are pregnant at six weeks, and so this will have a huge effect on the state of Florida. But there is a constitutional amendment on the ballot in November. If you're not registered, y'all, please get registered. Tell somebody to get registered. That window closes thirty days out from the election.
Speaker 5: It thank you, Angela, what you got.
Speaker 6: My update is about Marilyn Moseby. I am hoping that you all saw Marylyn's interview with Joy Read. It is her first, it's an exclusive, and I hope that you will be inspired to sign the petition. We are just over nine thousand signatures and would love to see you all add yourselves and make sure that you add your friends and family. Please send it to them and make sure we get this pardon request on President Biden's radar.
Speaker 1: I love that, and I'll echo Angecles call to action and just say, whatever you're doing in your community, do something, do something this week that benefits the greater good. But before we end the show, I want to remind everyone to leave us a review and subscribe to Nata lampod. We're available on all platforms and YouTube. New episodes drop every Thursday. You can also follow us on social media. We are Tiffany Cross, Angela Rii, and Andrew Gillum.
Speaker 5: Welcome home, y'all.
Speaker 1: There are one hundred and eighty six days until election day last moran See.
Speaker 2: Thank you for joining the Natives intention of with the info and all of the latest regular mccross connected to the statements that you leave on our socials. Thank you sincerely for the patients reason for your choice is cleared, so grateful it took to execute roads. Thank you for serve, defend and protect the truth even in paint for welcome home to all of the Natives wait, thank you, welcome he y'all, Welcome.
Speaker 1: Native Land Pod is the production of iHeartRadio and partnership with Reason Choice Media. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.