Speaker 1: To on the Move, Darlan Deep Speedways, Peace to Hill. From the Baptist Health Studios inside the Baptist Health Training Complex.
Speaker 2: This is Drivetime with Travis Wingfield. Please gonna my avn's in the playoffs?
Speaker 3: What is up Dolphins? And welcome to the Draft Time Podcast. I am your host, Travis Wingfield. On today's show, play the damn song win.
Speaker 4: Win, win, win win, Yeah, everything goes win win, win win.
Speaker 3: The Dolphins are winners for the fourth time in as many opening days, and we have a victory in our back pockets and we're headed to Club dub tonight. We'll go up and down the game script. We'll hear from Tuatunga bai Lowa, Tyreek Hill, coach McDaniel. We'll do five takeaways the play before the play super easy one on that today from the back Does Health Studios inside the Baptist Health Training Complex. This is the Drive Time podcast. You couldn't miss it if you were a Dolphins fan or otherwise. The story of the day happened before the game when Tyreek Hill was detained by Miami Gardens Police. Let's go ahead and hear from Tyreek on the situation that unfolded you know.
Speaker 4: So I've been I've been trying to figure that out too. I've been trying to figure that out too.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 4: Right now, I'm still trying to put it all together. So I'm not going to give you a version that I still don't know what happened, you know what I'm saying. But I do want to say I do want to be able to use this platform to say, like what if I wasn't Tyreek Hill, bro, like first case scenario, you know, because it's crazy, Like I want to be a cop. One day, I got a state trooper, I had all that, you know, so I got a lot of respect for cops, man. But obviously, you know, everybody has bad apples in every situation, you know, So I want to be able to, you know, use his you know, to figure out to figure out a way to like flip this and you know, make it a positive on both ends, on my end and then also Miami day, you know, so that way we can team together and you know, do some positive for the community, because that's what it's all about, bro, Like you guys are here to like protect us as individuals, and you know, I have a platform, and I want to be able to team up with you guys, So that's all I gotta say.
Speaker 3: We also heard the kalais. Campbell saw what was happening and joined Tyreek and tried to de escalate the situation and was also put in handcuffs, and John new Smith showed up there as well. It just was kind of a meeting of the captains in some sense in terms of guys coming.
Speaker 2: To his back.
Speaker 3: And I thought that was a cool galvanizing moment with regards to the reaction to what happened, obviously not the moment itself, which I'll just go ahead and hold comments on that for another day because I talked about in the radio. I just don't think that that was a constructive thing that happened outside the stadium could have been handled much differently. Let's go ahead and move on and get to the football game. I want to start with some audio from Tyreek or continue with some audio from Tyreek on comments that he talked about last year after the Kansas City game and the Dolphins not being front runners and not wanting to be front runners this season. And I understand that it's one game in and we have to do these things in December and January to really buck those trends and narratives. I completely agree with that, But what a great start because off of the way last season ended, off of every opportunity they had to be distracted with some unknown circumstances surrounding star defensive player Jalen Ramsey going into game day, We're down the league Washington on Friday, after losing River Craycraft in training camp and OBJ not being ready yet and Jalen Wright isn't inactive. So in a lot of ways, you had pretty much the exact same lineup that you went into Arrowhead with, and granted it was what one hundred and twenty five degrees warmer today, but you had the exact same personnel that I thought looked really bad in that game. And you also didn't have the practice time that I mentioned as a kind of contributing factor to the poor performance that night in KC, with how pivotal it is to be on the grass with these guys in a timing rhythm based offense, and how in training camp you're all banged up. So you essentially come back into this game with pretty much the same damn lineup that you went into the Kansas City game with, and it kind of looked the same early on, right, but we found the Dolphins. Found out the Dolphins had more resilient nature in their pedigree today and found a way to get a win. And to have all of that going on on top of that pregame situation involving Tyreek Hill and Miami Gardens Police, who which by the way, that cop has already been put on administrative leave, which is the right decision for that. But you also had a really good football team on the other side of the field there. That defensive line is no joke. They're going to beat up a lot of teams this year. That quarterback is really damn good. I don't care what his stats say, I don't care about any of that. He's a really good player. That coach is a great coach. That's a damn good football team. And the Dolphins gritted out a win against a team like that, kind of like the Cowboys game last season, you strained, you continued to believe in each other. To me, that was impressive. Let's go ahead and hear from coach McDaniel or sorry, rather Tyreek Hill on his comments about or what he said last year in January in Kansas City.
Speaker 4: You guys gotta come up with a new narrative. I guess guys gotta talk about something else, y'all. Y'all can't say that we front runners now. So it's amazing to see. It's amazing to see like our team, you know, not feel sorry for ourselves early on in the game, and our defense had our back the whole entire game, and.
Speaker 2: We just came together as an offense.
Speaker 4: Man, we decided, like, hey, we gotta first of all, we gotta call the place. We got to get out the hotle fast, and we gotta.
Speaker 2: Do what we normally do. Baby, we fast. You feel me.
Speaker 4: People don't like to run fast with us in Miami. Dog is too hot. So we did that in the second half. We ran fast, ran some deep routes, and we executed.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 3: So that is all the pre embo. Let's go ahead and get into our game script right now and break down this thing from a stats perspective. First off the top, here, the Dolphins did have more first dollars than Jacksonville, just eighteen to seven. Miami was also a fifty percent on third down They were eight for sixteen. They did go oh for two on fourth downs, but Jacksonville was two for ten on third downs and oh for one on fourth downs, a critical one that we're gonna talk plenty about in this episode. The Dolphins also had four hundred total yards to Jacksonville's two sixty seven. I mean, that's that's blowout numbers right there. It didn't happen that way, but they were way more effective moving the ball than Jacksonville was.
Speaker 2: Throughout the day.
Speaker 3: They had three hundred and nineteen passing yards eighty one rushing yards compared to Jacksonville, who had just one thirty nine through the air but a buck twenty eight on the ground. Miami ran sixty five plays at Jacksonville's fifty, and that's gonna be important for the game on Thursday, because if I go real quick and kind of do some live mathing rate here on the Buffalo Bills game against the Cardinals, pulling it up as we do the podcast here live with you guys, well, they were on the field for sixty plays, so ten more plays, but to play less plays than Buffalo is an advantage that you have with regards to playing a short week and being in this weather like it's gonna be tougher for those guys to get loose and be stretched out playing more plays than the Dolphin will, So that's a good sign. Sixty five plays to the Dolphins offense, just fifty for the defense. Miami did not turn the football over, Jacksonville had one turnover. Both teams were sacked three times. The Dolphins did commit nine fouls for one hundred and three yards. That has to be cleaned up, and they also possessed the ball for thirty three minutes. Let's go ahead now, five minutes into the show and get into the opening drive and break this game down from start to finish. And it starts with a six play drive that was a turnover on downs, and you kind of saw some of the struggles early on with the wide game not getting any push and Julian Hill failing to hit a rap block. They couldn't get a wide screen going. And then all of a sudden, there's Devon a chan for thirty nine yards with Austin Jackson and Liam miken Berg leading him off the edge, and you're like, Okay, here we go. They're gonna go score a touchdown. And then once again it's three downs and out as a third and eight deep shot that Tyreek gets broken up and he was there maybe in phase, had a chance to make a play, but the defensive back didn't make a good play on the ball and wind up causing the incompletion. There when I thought we might have early fireworks. Then they go fourth down, they go for it, and I thought Tua was a step late to Braxon Barrios on the Texas route where he kind of he lined up in the backfield angles his route wide comes back over the middle. I just thought Tua was late on that throw by like one step and that led him into a hit that he could not, you know, contain control of the ball, and it goes over on down to the Jacksonville Jaguars on the opening drive. And then we get a defensive performance on that first drive where it's a Kalais Campbell sack, a Kalais Campbell TfL just showing his amazing length to wrap up Trevor Lawrence in space to beat up block immediately, a team up with Jalen Phillips for a tackle for lost by the line of scrimmage, and then a third and down throw that the Jaguars just completely missed on. So you're thinking, like, Okay, this defense came to play get the ball back to the offense, let's go score, and they didn't. It's a six play, eighteen yard drive. They do win the edge for five yards to Raheem Moster. They get a slant flat conversion from to Tyreek Hill when him and Waller wrnning a two man route combination, and then we get that deep shot to Tyreek Hill on the corner route and Tua got hit under his chinch strap and just overthrew him on that play. Man a couple of narrow misses early on deep shots that if those happened, this game probably goes an entirely way, but early on just a little bit out of sync, and then it goes all kind of hell in the hand basket from that, he dropped the scream pass to JEANU Smith with a convoy in front of him. Then third and ten, Tyreek drops the pass and you have offensive off sides that causes the play to be no good anyways, if you had converted it. So yeah, I just thought it was just uncharacteristically sloppy early on and that would continue. And the Jags paid it off after a great Jake Bailey punt pins them at the four yard line. They go ninety six yards and it's chunk chunk chunk Bigsby for twenty nineteen yards to Gabe Davis ten yards and a Lawrence Scramble forty yard defensive pass interference after Jayalen Ramsey got toasted by Brian Thomas, who looks like the real deal, and quickly it's seven to nothing. The Dolphins go back and go three and out. They're rotating Tyreek Hill and Jillian Waddle out of the game and with Robbie chosen Grant de Bos and Brags and Barrios, that's not a great place to be. They just couldn't get movement with the running game either. They couldn't Ingold, couldn't help get Serge for an eight chan run. Rob Jones gets hit with that holding call that wipes out to a scramble for a first down, got his hands outside of the framework and that happened twice in this game where he didn't have to hold the impact the play, but he did, and it cost his team ten yards in a big spot. And the way this offense was operating today with you know, down some key parts and just not really being on rhythm and on time and against the defensive line that creates quick pressure. You can't survive third and thirteen all game long, you know, it just doesn't work that way. So they go three and out on that drive again, give the ball back to Jacksonville, but a quick drive from them after another Kalais win, a Brooks and Steeler combination stop, and then a pressure from Jalen Phillips and Emmanuel Ogba on that drive forces an errant throw that creates a drop pass by Christian Kirk on that third nine corner route. So while I'm talking about all of these plays that the Dolphins missed, the Jags were doing their part as well early on to kind of fudge things up for themselves. They give it back to the Dolphins, who once again turn it over on downs. A five play, thirty four yard drive that takes just under three minutes off the clock. Walla gets a catch or from the passer on to him. They didn't call the one later in the game. That was crazy to me. And then durham Smyth just starts dropping passes. That little slide route that he dropped was like bread and butter play from the offense last year. The rail, the scene, the slide, you get to an rpo look, he runs with Smith and dumps it off to him. You can't drop that ball, and he did there. Then they go off side to get back ahead of the chains, and then it's third and three for no gain for eight chan then fourth and three to Barrios, where again I talked about it all off season. I didn't want to see, you know, fourth and three throwing to a strapped Brax and Barrios once again. But here we are running double slants on the front side. Two it has to clutch and just again out of rhythm, hitching, not really in his normal tempo, and the ball goes incomplete and back over to the Jaguars. I just think that if you're in that spot and you don't have the personnel for it, maybe just kick it away, because it didn't work out there and it was looking ugly early on. And that leads to yet another Jacksonville touchdown, an eight play, fifty five yard drive, and they get this third and eight play where Lawrence ripped a middle of the field shot between split high safeties with Jordan Poyer and jev On Haul and where he made a good check at the line of scrimmage and then found the opening and ripped that thing in the middle, and I thought Jordan Poyer was just slow to get to the spot all day today. Not his best debut. They come back and they get a couple of stops. It's a storm duck play, which by the way, he was active over Ethan Bonner, which was a big development, I thought in this game. And you get a good Jordan Brooks coverage that sets up a third and six play, they get a critical or a third nine play, I should say, they get a delay of game and then it's like, all right, we're gonna get a field goal here and go ten to nothing. But no, Trevor Lawrence makes another fantastic throw and a great toe tap by Brian Thomas Junior. And it was just a good route concept because Marcel Luis Jack from ESPN was trying to ask, what do you think happened there, and he showed me the dots, you know, the play that kind of tracks everyone GPS, and it was just a good concept where they had that little hook route in the front of the end zone and the corner route off the back of that, and it kind of confused Poyer and Ramsey in that spot to converge in the one route and the ball goes over their head for a touchdown. Fourteen to nothing. Oh no, not looking good. But then we saw the thing that Tyreek Hill mentioned that he wanted to see in show up a twelve play, seventy yard touchdown drive that took five minutes and seventeen seconds off the clock and finished with a Devon eh Chan one yard touchdown rush. And it began with a sixteen yard play where a Chan made someone missing the flat on a little checkdown from Tua. Tua has a scramble for a first down. They just can't get anything going inside, though, and the couple of runs creates this third and eight for Waddle, who gets a corner route against this too high coverage look. And that's where I thought Miami began to kind of adjust offensively because they were just squatting on the stuff they wanted to run. They were shutting down the running game and causing these long situations, and Miami had no answer until this one running a corner route where he took the inside release against that underneath corner and then runs the flag outside the outside shoulder of the safety and tuas on time for a nice completion. You get nine yards from eight Chan, then a false start from Smyth after a second drop on the drive as well, by the way, makes it third and six, and then Tua hits Tyreek on this little stop route at the sticks right on time. And then they go three consecutive or rather two consecutive slip screens. E Chan scored, by the way, they didn't review that. I don't know why they didn't, but he was definitely in, which would have given to a second touchdown pass on the day. Kind of annoys me. Got vultured. But then they run it in with von eh Chan on a one yard pivot die, which is usually a full back play. So eight Chan today we'll talk about him, but my goodness, he is being used in a variety of ways. But then the Jacksonville Jaguars go right back down the field in six plays forty three yards took a minute in four seconds, easy chunk for eighteen yards, and a comeback route working on Kendall Fuller, who I thought was not his best today. And then an easy twenty yard throw to Gabe Davis where he overran the tackle in the middle of the field and they get right back into field goal range and convert and make it seventeen to seven. And then to close up the segment here, Tyreek told us that Tua got in the backside, if you will, of the Dolphins locker room oh tour.
Speaker 4: He stepped up in the second half. He did his thing. Second half, he played lights out man. Like I said, first first half of fans, like we always we all was like kind of timid a little bit, you know, you know, shaking all the dust off our knees and stuff like that.
Speaker 2: You know, it was get not the whotle kind of slow.
Speaker 4: But the thing that really motivated motivated me the most was when we came in during halftime and it's the first time I heard toos like Hawaiian accent. Like it's crazy. Like he was like turned up and animated in the locker room. I'm like, okay, I'm liking this. Like he was like going and I'm like, yeah, let's go man, Like he called me out j Doug.
Speaker 2: I'm like, yo, I'm loving this, bro.
Speaker 4: And like me, I love accountability at its finest, you know what I'm saying, because that's what I grew up on.
Speaker 2: I grew up.
Speaker 4: I grew up on my dad telling me ariek I need you to be better. You feel me, not patting me on my back, not doing this. And for my quarterback, they called me out in front of the whole offense like that had to step up.
Speaker 2: I had to do my thing, you feel me? So I liked that and the leader.
Speaker 3: Actually, in fact, let's go ahead and hear from McDaniel, who also touched on the two halftime speech.
Speaker 5: I was writing writing down plays on the on the white board at the time. It was it was a cool moment because it was genuine and it was not.
Speaker 2: Anything but constructive.
Speaker 5: You know, there was uh details that that lead to execution in terms of how we are organized and communicate with who's in the who's in the huddle, how those players go from the huddle to the line of scrimmage, and just executing the the nuances.
Speaker 2: Of our job.
Speaker 5: Uh that that, you know, I guess at the time, he he, he definitely felt that that there's several guys that were loose there. I couldn't I couldn't deny that at all and was really pumped to hear him constructively lead. It wasn't we're but you know, it wasn't let's win or let's make plays it was let's adhere to our standard, which is what a captain and a franchise quarterback have to be that voice to echo. So it was cool to have him beat me to the punch of something that if he wouldn't have said, I probably would have very very closely holding all of us accountable.
Speaker 2: And I think that's it was a cool.
Speaker 5: Opportunity to him for him and his growth and what this team definitely needs, and he knew it all right.
Speaker 3: Good place to go ahead and take a break. We are at halftime. Plenty more to come, including second half breakdown, the five takeaways, play before the play, a lot more audio, and the adjustments that I thought were critical to this game for the Dolphins.
Speaker 2: All of that.
Speaker 3: Next Drive Time podcast your host Travis Wingfield, brought to you by Auto Nation. The Great Chris Kaufman on Twitter of the three Yards per Carry podcast put a tweet out tracking the Dolphins personnel usage, and I would have told you going into this game they would have had like three plays total from eleven personnel. But they were in that grouping more than any other group being early in the game, and they did adjust in the second half to that. But I thought there was way too much three wide sets with their personnel, and defensively they were not connected and coverage. I thought they weren't blitzing enough, and they got that sorted out, but it seemed like it took both the offense and the defense a half to kind of adjust and the Dolphins come out on defense and get a quick three and out from the Jaguars, which they desperately needed in a seventeen to seven game. Three plays five yards where they blitzed This third down play where Javon Hollins flexed out wide on Evan Ingram Kendall Fuller's in the slot matching up on Christian Kirk and then Jalen Ramsey has the boundary with no split receiver and the rush dictates a hot throw and Javon can then drive on that route and break it up, and he does for a big PBu just love the adjustment to get right back to pressure and blitzing and going away from what didn't work in the first half and coming back to it here in the second half. But then Miami's offense sputters again six plays two yards and it's because of another holding call. They got themselves behind the chains. Even the first first down seemed really difficult to convert, as it was like this third and three conversion or pla to Raheem where he barely gets by a yard after a six yard play to Julian Hill, a one yard play to Waddle. It just felt like tough sledding all day to this point. And those are the kind of Dolphins teams that, quite frankly, between you and I, I loathed. I hate watching that football like there's plenty of teams in the NFL that do that. There's a lot of teams in college that do that. I can't stand it. And it seemed like the Dolphins were kind of falling into that pattern today until they weren't. And on third and thirteen two would get sacked.
Speaker 2: It's ugly.
Speaker 3: The booz are coming down, not good Man seventeen seven. Luckily, the defense respawns as Jacksonville goes three and out and actually lost three yards. And on the third and thirteen, after a misthrow and a run stuff and a hold makes it second and twenty, they get a seven yard game to make it third and thirteen, and the Dolphins, rather than going with the blitz, get a four man rush and Jalen Phillips single handedly shuts the play down by running right around the right tackle, which was the second time he did that. He would do it two more times more on that in a moment. But the Dolphins get it back and they punt it back over again. Four plays forty three yards. He hit the sixty three yard play to Jalen Waddle, and this is where the adjustments began to come in. And that was a second read from two of that I thought was really brilliant. Where they squatted on the short little dig route to Tyreek Hill, that safety pulls up from the backside crosser behind that and vacate that or run for that vacated space to a right on time. Wattle makes the big play. But why did he not score on that? You are faster than whoever that was. I don't know who it was, but he's faster than that guy. Should have scored there, because then the Dolphins lost twenty two yards on the next three plays. That fourteen yard sack from two, well, we got to get out of that, man. You just have to get out of that sack. I know he got tripped up, but gotta find a way to get off of it. Couldn't get any pushed in the running game. Another penalty just like the whole thing was or no, it wasn't a penalty, was it was negative runs And then a sack on Tuas so really bad. And then the Jags look like they're going to put the game away as they go six plays ninety four yards and they miss a critical tackle backed up I should say they were on the six yard line, the four yard line, and Javon Halland misses a tackle at the critical point on Tank Bigsby for twenty five yards. Then they run off Kendall Fuller and press or he's not in phase and just run him off for a nice comeback route and it's like easy completion, just got gashed up and down the field. And then luckily as they're making another big run, Javon Holland swings in there and throws a big old paw on the football and cater Coohu jumps on it and they get it back. It's a touchdown. If he does not make that play. That's easily the play before the play because I don't have to go in depth on that, like usually it's a second down play before a third down stop that I talk about. But on this one, Jialen Waddle's forced or Chilean wattle, Javon Holland's forced fumble and cater Coho's ensuing recovery leads to a one play Dolphins drive eighty yards to a tongue by low with the Tyreek hill takes eleven seconds off the clock, and once again, just like the previous drive, they squat on that first underneath route and what throws a strike to Tyreek and he is the ultimate angle eraser man like he would have scored ty on the Wallle play because he just is faster, I guess, but I thought maybe Waddle was maybe a little bit winded on that play, Like I just can't believe he didn't score on that, but Tyreek did. He did not have the angle much like Gronkowski, and he still want to and got the touchdown. So a big play there, great throw, great read from Tua once again taking advantage of the Jags overplay. And then the Jaguars get it back and they go four plays eight yards and out and what are you doing going forward on fourth down? And we had to sean hand with a stack and shed for a one yard game. We get a third and one play, Bernito Jones, Zach Seler join in with Jordan Brooks for a big stop on the ballcarrier and then they go for it on fourth and one. And what an amazing play this was, because I've watched this thing so many times. You had, first of all, weird play called by the Jags because they ran like dive action where they just kind of caused a pile up inside and then ran like a sweep. And we were privy to it, like Emmanuel Ogball was out there, Jalen Ramsey was out there, I believe it was Javon Holland out there, and all these guys are getting pursuit angles and ETN tries to bend it back across the other way, and they just got their butts out there and went after it man, And we saw Zach Seeler with fantastic effort. We saw Kaleis Campbell get a big piece and Jalen Ramsey saw it and felt it and ran parallel to the last scrimmage and got all the way over there and made the critical hit. What a great play that was, great strain that got me fired up. What an absolute, just absolute awesome moment there from Anthony Weaver's defense and these guys that got it done out there, strained effort, all of that on display, but then Miami can't pay it off. Three yard three play drive goes six yards, You get a seven seven yard run from Raheem Moster, and then a deflected pass on a slide throw from Tua to Ingle that would have been an easy catch and run for a first down, and then on third down you can't convert, and it's like, okay, let's kick the field goal, and we missed from forty two. At this point, I was like, they're gonna have to dig deep to find a win, and Tua talked about being down fourteen to nothing and the resilience of this team to pull out a victory from that spot. But I think it plays well here because that was a big moment in the game, a big deflating moment, but the Dolphins did not let the let that moment ultimately decide the game.
Speaker 1: I think it tells you early on and a lot about our team and a lot of what we've tried to ingrain in each other with the relationships we've been building off the field on the field, it just collectively, I got your back. You got our back. We're not shying away from what we know is true. Like we're down fourteen, that's what it is, Like, what are we going to do? Nobody else can change that but us. So we went through a lot of adversity. But good teams find ways to win even if it looks not as good. So there's a lot of things we need to clean up, but happy we came out with the win.
Speaker 3: Because the jag hit the football back after that and they go four plays sixteen yards and punt it right back to the Miami Dolphins. They get a really nice couple of plays by David Long, who led the team with eight tackles in this game and was all over the place firing downhill. One of the he was in consideration for my game balls on the post game show, I did go with Youlan Phillis, but he was right there in the running for me. And then they miss another throw like there was a couple of players they had Christian Kirk with Trevor Lawrence and they just couldn't hit him. So that was you know, hey, tip your cap, thank you good sirs. Dolphins get the football back and kick an eleven play drives seventy three yards and six and a half minutes and kick a field goal. Finally got some offensive lineman out in space. Aaron Brewer had some really nice blocks in this drive. Eight Chan had a six yard run. They had some adjustments to the short stuff and the crosses, and the Dolphins wind up going back to the perimeter. They get a twenty yard DPI on one of those throws to Waddle. They had a big rip to Tyreek for twenty one yards off play action pass where he had that deep comeback like hook zone that we hit so many times last year. Then you go six yards for Raheem, but then a false start on Julian Hill. Then you get a great Jeff Wilson run and the Jeff the game kind of became the Jeff Wilson game where he goes for fourteen yards just running through guys, fresh legs, good cuts, swift decision making, and then he has another nice six yard cutback run before alec Ingold converts on third and one. Then we have a nice run that takes down to the three yard line and you're thinking, Okay, here we go. We're gonna make it twenty one to seventeen games. Gonna be over here after the Jags next drive, but tyreek Hill holds and it comes back to first and twenty and we just go nowhere after that. But we do kick a field goal and tie the game at seventeen apiece. And then it's one more chance to get a bit stop and they did just that. Three three Jaguars play. It's a David Long TfL Emanuel Ogba gets a sack on a redirect, working back inside the left tackle, and the reason that Lawrence ran to his spot was because Jalen Phillips abused the right tackle and ran right around him and forced Lawrence off of his drop like he interrupted his three step drop and had to hitch up into the pocket, right into Ogbah, who also won. And then Phillips comes back on the next drive, runs the yark, keeps working, keeps working, keeps working, gets behind the quarterback, steps back up and angles in and gets the big sack. Closing time. One last call for Alco Hall. I for got the lyrics in real time. Yeah, And the Dolphins get off the field, get the football back, and they drive it down for a game winning fifty one yard field goal from Jason Sanders, a big throw from Tua to Waddle on second and six and move the chains. A Chan had that big play on the slip screen, and then Jeff Wilson just went to work grinding out critical yards and Jason Sanders with a big field goal. You love, love to see it. Dolphins win twenty to seventeen. They get to one to zero on the season. We take our first break right there, come back on the other side our second break, I should say, and come back into the takeaways and the individual thoughts on the game. That's all next Drivetime Podcast, your host Travis Wingfield, brought to you by Auto Nation. Takeaways from a Dolphins twenty to seventeen victory over the Jacksonville Jaguas, Number one responding after a slow star. We talked about it throughout the script. Drops Barrios, John u Reek penalties two. I had a couple of misses one to Barrios won the deep shot. Rob Jones had two penalties. They weren't hitting their landmarks in the running game, which is so critical for this offense. I didn't think Armstead or Jackson had particularly good games. I didn't think I can I don't think anybody in the offensive line had a particularly good game. It was a third down, The third down run by Raheem before the second quarter turnover on downs.
Speaker 2: Was just bad. Like all of it was bad.
Speaker 3: The fourth down slant to Barrios looked out of sorts. They just didn't look connected. Now, all the edge matchups went to the Jaguars, which I thought was a surprise because Ingold and the tight ends just didn't have their best game. We have a smyth and John new Drops. Ingold could not get the edge that he usually does. Julian Hill couldn't hit those rap blocks like he usually does. Let's go ahead and go back to QB one on what went wrong earlier for the offense.
Speaker 2: I think collectively as a group offensively.
Speaker 1: It was just one of those deals where we just need to get our head out of our eys.
Speaker 2: That was it, Like that was it.
Speaker 1: It was okay, yeah, we're we're just gonna come out here.
Speaker 2: You know, it's hot. These dudes are probably gonna give up a little bit.
Speaker 1: And now we got punched in them out And that's what you get, how you spot.
Speaker 3: But then you come back and you get big numbers and you get an adjustment to what the Jags defense is doing and Ryan Nielson, who's a great coordinator. You get a thirteen to nothing second half win despite a missfield goal. You drove it down. You sustain drives, a twelve and eleven play scoring drive in this game. You hit the big plays eighty yards and sixty three yards of Tyreek and waddle. You got critical stops, you got pass rush, you got coverage. You close it out with a defense and a tie game. Just a nice team win in to all come together in a critical way. And man Jalen Phillips, we'll come back to him in a second. Number two takeaway is the ability to adjust in the second half, making the difference. We talked about it already, but they just couldn't get the run game going, kept getting behind the sticks. The only real success was popping the quick game, and we had success doing that. But you cannot live in that world. Offensively. I watched the Washington State Texas Tech game on Saturday night and Texas Tech runs this offense where they go three down offensive linemen and they flex two of them out, and then if you commit numbers to one side to the screen game, they'll they'll throw it the other way, or they'll run it inside or if you bring guys back inside, they'll throw the screen game out wide. And it worked for like two drives and it was like, Okay, cool gimmick, dudes, and then they figured it out from there, like you can't win that way. The passing offense just bad timing, bad rhythm to a double clutching, not being in work with in tune with his footwork to the receiver's routes. But they adapted and those two shots were prime examples of him moving the safeties. We heard from both Tua and McDaniel that it was a second read on that play, and Tua kind of four went that first read that was actually there. Tebriecu is open on that first play to Wattle, and the second one was there too, but he pumps it deep because he knew the way that his action and the way the receiver's action would influence that safety and lays it out there for this beautiful throw for big plays. I just thought the adjustments were really, really nice, and on the second half by a coach, weave as well. You know, I'm be curious to see the numbers on this, but I thought they were way more married up in their coverage and rush and the nature of the blitzes and the sim pressures. All was this really well orchestrated plan and idea for how to confuse Lawrence, which was the key for me going in right, and he was as confused as hell on the second half. Got almost nothing done for the Jags offense in that second half. Takeaway number three, Gosh, it's good to have fun skill players. And this is why I put way more value in guys that touch the football than guys that don't, because when the offense is struggling, what do you have but a guy that can go seven for one thirty and one, A guy that can go five on five targets by the way, in Wattle for one hundred and nine yards. A guy like Achan that can catch seven for seventy six and give you twenty four on the ground. So three guys go over one hundred yards. You have the two big plays we could talk about. Wattle had that big third and eight conversion on the first touchdown drive, working on that corner route off split safety look. And then Tyreek on that third and six after the Smyth fall start that little spot throw, the kind of turnaround back shoulder that's just timing and repetition.
Speaker 2: With Tua.
Speaker 3: Everything looked better and faster with those guys. And that's who's gonna get you out of trouble. That's who's gonna win you football games, is all those guys. And you know they can run this quick game and it can mitigate poor offensive line play. And we saw, I mean that touchdown drive. To go back to that well twice just tells you like, we can do this. We can get bodies out wide and block that, and we have the ball carriers to find the end zone on those reps. So it is good to be fast and great when you have Reek Wattle and eighth Chen and a good quarterback that goes along with that number four short yardage edge play and the inability to get the ball to the other guys. We're kind of a convoluted takeaway here for me, but you know there, that's where the Jags are stout one of the best fronts you'll see all year with hinz Allen Ars, Eric Armstead, Devon Hamilton, Trayvon Walker. So I expected the quick game that we saw, but I thought we'd get the ball on the perimeter better in the running game. I think the real game changer here was how their edge just played our tight ends. They just they just beat us. Man, they whacked us there and ingled all game long. I just felt we needed more for the offense to have a better day. And it's still wild to think we had four hundred yards because a bad day moving the ball for four hundred yards is.
Speaker 2: Not that bad.
Speaker 3: I mentioned the drops the screen game, you know, the screen that John Wood drop was bad. They just were not good offensively at that position of the tight end spot. But man, when it mattered most to put a bow on this takeaway here the third and one conversions three for three, two battering ram runs by alec Ingold, one by Jeff Wilson. Let's go ahead and hear from coach McDaniel on the short yard conversions for this Dolphins offense.
Speaker 5: I think you speak for all of us in short yardage. It's you know, it's not that exciting because we already converted because we're the best in the league.
Speaker 2: In short urage.
Speaker 5: No, I think I think that's a good The same thing, the same thing, you know it the when you had when you find success in places that you put emphasis on, you know that that's rewarding. I thought the guys are very aware as well as the coaching staff. The whole team is very aware of the places that we've fallen short at because we we don't run from it. We uh, you know, try to focus on in the off season for out the gate game one to find some success. It's always awesome to see guys uh be able to feel that because it's been that important to him, important enough to get some better results.
Speaker 3: Take Away number five is the defensive strain and what captainship means where certain guys and how it changes the way this team is built and responds. We talked about it off the top. Coach McDaniel said in his press conference he thinks this is a game this team would have lost the last two years just based upon the way it went and kind of where they were from a potential mindset standpoint. But that grit I thought was on display all day. We borrowed from Dan Campbell here a little bit tonight, taking some of that lion's grit, but especially that fourth downplay. Man, Like, you just had guys that didn't quit. You had Javon Holland not giving up when it looked like a sure twenty four to seven Jacksonville League, and to play out the string and lose this game, the defense respawning again after the missfield goal, the offense converting critical downs late in the game, not taking the game into overtime. I think we learned something about this team today and that's the fifth takeaway for me. So those are the five takeaways. Some individual numbers here for you ar some standouts. Jake Bailey was fantastic, just boom the ball all day long. Two punts down inside the five yard line. Ironically, one of those is a ninety six yard touchdown drive. One was a ninety six yard fumble drive that almost was a touchdown before the Javon Hall and strips strip at the end of that. Elijah Campbell forced the fumball on the kickoff. He looked really, really good at there on special team once again, and Jason Sanders sends us home with the victory, helping us not go to overtime. The importance of the out on a short week, I cannot trust it enough. Let's go ahead and here one more time from coach.
Speaker 5: McDaniel, because Jason's given me reason to you know, I think this has been my third year you know their year year round. You know, kickers are the same as players. You're executing techniques and fundamentals in crunch time, and there's there's uh, you know, I Jason's given me reason at the end of games to be extremely confident, and there's been several games that he's made multiple kicks.
Speaker 2: You know, it goes.
Speaker 5: I go back to the twenty two Jets game where he had all of our points.
Speaker 2: I go back to.
Speaker 5: The the Dallas Cowboys game last year, you know, and there's there's many beyond that.
Speaker 3: One more shout out to Jeff Wilson, who led the Dolphins with twenty six rushing yards and that was all third and fourth quarter work from hefe He just looked fantastic. I cannot wait to see him and tell him congratulations around the building probably tomorrow. Leam Meikenberg I thought had some good surge and some critical spots, especially those third and short runs. Again, the tight end group struggled. I thought Jordan Poyer had not a good day at all. I thought Kendall Fuller struggled. Jalen Ramsey got beat deep on the DPI. I think Seiler will be motivated by this tape to clean up some stuff. So not the cleanest game for a lot of the guys. Good day for the offense in terms of the skill players get their numbers and eventually finding a way to win, and we'll clean it up here. Hopefully just a few days to do that though, because the Bills are here on Thursday. But if you win that one, who buddy, what a start of the season that could be watching games this weekend with the two to oh mark. Hopefully that's the case coming up here. But first we're gonna do the podcast tomorrow reviewing the All twenty two film, so don't miss that. In the meantime, you all please be sure to subscribe to the podcast wherever you get your podcast from. Leave us at rating, leave us a review, follow me on social at Wakefield, NFL, and the team at Miami Dolphins. Check out my guys and set the juice on the fish Tank podcast. Check out the YouTube channel. Go over there and watch Dolphins HQ. I need ten thousand V that's a nine point nine right now, go just click on it a few times, give me ten k views. Check out the website mimidolphins dot com. And last button, not least of course, Carolina and Cameron Daddy should come in hold