Speaker 1: I am all in.
Speaker 2: Let's kiss you. I am all in with Scott Patterson an iHeartRadio Podcast.
Speaker 1: Hey everybody, Scott Patterson, I am all in Podcast one eleven Production's iHeartRadio, iHeartMedia, iHeart Podcast, iHeart Popcorn, I Heard ice Cream. iHeart Christmas Trees, Episode thirteen, Season six, Friday Nights, all right for fighting. Logan is waiting at the coffee card for Rory's still trying to win her back. Logan, excuse me, but this is not slick. This is a Nora Efron movie. Loui Armstrong should be warbling as we talk. So come on, please put me out of my misery. You promised you'd let me take you to dinner. Nora Ephron was a filmmaker who is best known for writing and directing rom comms. She has written the screenplays for When Harry Met Sally's Silkwood, Heartburn, Sleepless in Seattle, You've Got Mail, and many more. Wow, that is quite a list. Louis Armstrong is a jazz legend, best known for his song what a Wonderful World We all know, we all love it. Logan is comparing himself to a Nora Ephron rom com because he's been trying so hard to win Rory back, and that a Louis Armstrong song should be playing in the background because of his romantic gestures. Did you know in that scene, that scene that we're referring to, Yes, that scene when Meg Ryan pretends to quote unquote get excited in quote uno. Yes, when Harry met Sally, the line that Billy Crystal says I'll have what she's having was actually suggested by Billy. Also, there is a plaque in Cat's Delian, New York City to the table where they filmed that scene. The plaque read, or how Harry met Sally's hope you have what she had?
Speaker 2: And also, and I'm making sure we don't have this in the notes, the woman that says I'll have what she's having, I believe is Billy Crystal's mother, Jackie check that while we continually all right, all right, So in the same scene, by the way, for everybody listening, this is new and improved pop culture.
Speaker 3: So come back to us and tell us if you do agree that this is new and improved.
Speaker 2: So, same scene, after Rory grees to go to dinner, Logan asked her not to back out and do not think of backing out because I will cry and eat a pint of Rocky Road while watching An Affair to Remember with Rita Wilson, which is a reference to Sleepless in Seattle and A Fair to Remember is a romantic drama film from nineteen fifty seven starring Carrie Grant and Debora Kerr. It is considered the most romantic film of all time and as a remake of the nineteen thirty nine film Love Affair. So Logan is naming the film and a Fair to Remember, but he's referring to the movie's Sleepless in Seattle. When Rita Wilson's character talks about an Affair to Remember and gets very emotional. She's emotionally explained, I think she ends up crying. Logan is saying he's going to be like Rita Wilson crying and watching An.
Speaker 3: Affair to Remember.
Speaker 2: Both films, Sleepless in Seattle and An Affair to Remember had the love interest meeting at the top of the empire stableilding. And as we said, Sleepless in Seattle is a Nora Efron film, And as we just said, Scott just said it was.
Speaker 3: Rob Reiner's mother.
Speaker 2: Rob rear the line, I'll have what's right? Oh, pardon me, pardon me. It was Rob Reiner's mother, not Billy Crystals. So I was close, a close. Only counts and horseses hey, you know they're friends, so right there, buds right.
Speaker 4: All right. So Laura is telling Rory she needs to tell her grandparents about not having to pay for Yale anymore. Laura says it's going to be the opening night of Taboo all over again. Taboo is a stage musical originally written by Mark Davies Markham. The show premiered in London's West End at the newly open Venue Theater in two thousand and two. Laureli is referring to Taboo because it's notorious. Rosie O'Donnell investment. Rosie was so enamored with the production that she decided to finance it. After sixteen previews, it opened on November thirteen, two thousand and three, at the Plymouth Theater, and after being hampered by mostly scathing reviews, the production closed after one hundred performances. O'Donnell reportedly lost her entire ten million dollar investment in the project, and Laureli is comparing her parents losing out to an investment into Rory's Yale future.
Speaker 2: When you were reading that, for some reason, all that came into my head was boy George, boy George, And I was like, why am I thinking of boy George when you're talking about Taboo? And I think it was based on his life I'm pretty sure. So I looked it up really quick. Whose life story is Taboo based on? And it is boy George.
Speaker 1: He was the lead.
Speaker 2: So yeah, but he used his name, Georgio Dowd, so he used his birth name.
Speaker 3: As opposed to boy George, which com a chameleon. Yeah, do you really want to hurt me? I could sing Culture Club song all day long?
Speaker 4: I know that one.
Speaker 1: She could. She could deduct that entire loss ten million. God, you got ten million laying around a chuck at our crappy plan.
Speaker 3: It's the holidays. I don't have ten dollars around.
Speaker 1: The same scene. Laura I telling Rory she needs to tell her grandparents about not having to pay for Yale anymore. Rory, what's the worst that can happen? We won't be speaking anymore. Gee, that would suck. So wow, they're just hating on each other, aren't they? That nobody likes each other anymore.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean Rory's very caustic towards her grandparents in this way.
Speaker 1: Rash Laura, I Wow, Ice Ice Baby, Ice Ice Baby is a titled nineteen ninety song by rapper Vanilla Ice. Although we know the hit song by Vanilla Ice, we've stopped, lor I is referring to it.
Speaker 3: Collaborate and listen.
Speaker 2: Ice is back with a brand new intention or so invention. I used to be able to sing that whole thing.
Speaker 3: Can you do it?
Speaker 1: I just know I wouldn't even attempt it in front of me. I would not do that.
Speaker 3: Ice.
Speaker 4: You do that, baby, You go ahead and do it, and then collaborate and listen.
Speaker 3: Ice is back with a brand new invention.
Speaker 1: This is when music died, nineteen ninety, the day that music died.
Speaker 3: Come to the extreme.
Speaker 2: I wrock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and watch a jump like a candle dance.
Speaker 3: Go rush to the speaker that booms. I'm killing your brain like.
Speaker 1: A do you have any time in all?
Speaker 4: Shockingly yes, with my cold.
Speaker 1: Although we know it's a hit song by Vitilized, Lorelei is referring to it like Rory is being Ice Cold to her grandparents. You know, only on this pod cast is does Vanilla Ice get more respect than Bob Dylan?
Speaker 3: Rolling in my five point oh with my ragtop down so my hair candlow. Early He's on the standby waiting to see say. I just drove back, kept on pursuing to the next stop.
Speaker 1: Amy, What what address are you at right now? Huh? Give me your dress. We're gonna send Jeeves over the tranquilizer.
Speaker 3: Anytime I can do, Ice Ice, baby, r.
Speaker 1: I'm right there with you. Did you know that Vanilla Ice wrote this song when he was sixteen years old and this song was the first hip hop single ever to top the Billboard.
Speaker 3: Away, that's actually crazy.
Speaker 1: With diversifying the hot one hundred chart with hip hop music?
Speaker 3: Did you stop?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: I just drove back, kept on pursuing to do the next stop. I must have left and I'm heading to the next block. The block was dead, yo. So I continued to a one a beachfront avenue Paris, telling Rory how she double booked photographers for the football game and they got mad.
Speaker 3: First of all, I so this was irritating because no one's leaving a.
Speaker 1: Hole like that.
Speaker 2: So Para says, and then, of course when the temperamental artis found out, I had double book the gig. They flew n Naomi Campbell level hissy fits and quit. Naomi Campbell is a legendary model, one of the Big five models of her generation, declared supermodels by the fashion industry. She was the first black woman to appears a model in the covers of Time in Vogue France. Harris is referring to when Campbell threw a phone at her assistant in two thousand and six and faced assault charges and pled guilty. She had to do two hundred hours of community service, the same amount of hours I think Rory.
Speaker 1: Had to do.
Speaker 2: Did you know Naomi Campbell has appeared on over five hundred magazine covers and is one of the most fought photographed people in the world.
Speaker 4: All right, so Laura lies on the phone calling her parents that tell them why they aren't paying for Yale anymore. Richard picks up, and then Emily picks up Laura, I says Rowan Martin. Rowan and Martin's laugh In was a sketch comedy TV program hosted by Dan Rowan and Dick Martin.
Speaker 1: And not to interrupt, but guess who bought Dick Martin's house that he built in two thousand and three? You you thank you?
Speaker 3: Oh no way, that's a cool fun fact.
Speaker 2: Sweet that was your house you had for like a long long time eighteen years.
Speaker 3: Oh no, wonder you were so sad to.
Speaker 1: Leave its cool house.
Speaker 3: That's prettyoch.
Speaker 2: I wanted to interject, please do That's exactly the kind of interjection we like.
Speaker 1: Thank you, thank you for the encouragement.
Speaker 4: So the show was characterized by a rapid fire series of gags and sketches lauralized naming two rapid fire comics when answering the phone and both Emily and Richard pick up right after each other. And did you know that Lauren Michaels was a young writer for this sketch comedy show and adapted some ideas for SNL. So if it wasn't for Rowan and Martin, we wouldn't have an SNL.
Speaker 3: And isn't this gold wasn't this Goldie Han show too? Yes?
Speaker 1: I was going to say that's where she was, twenty year old Goldiehan in a bikini shaken around. You know, I don't know about that last statement about the Lauren Michaels you know, Lauren Michaels took the National Lampoon guys and built SNL, you know, when they were doing their radio program.
Speaker 4: Check it.
Speaker 3: I feel like it's probably right.
Speaker 1: Really well, no, no, I know, Rowan and Martin was definitely an inspiration. I'm not saying it wasn't for Lauren Michaels, but there's more to it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that's probably quite valid.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, because Chevy Chase and all the Guilder Rater, all those people were National Lampoon. Yeah, people doing a radio show.
Speaker 4: I watched Christmas Vacations so many times during.
Speaker 1: The holidays, same scenes, Laura I joking about which Christopher, Emily, and Richard are referring to laurasipher Isshuewood that cabaret money was burning a hole in his pocket. Christopher Isherwood is known for the nineteen thirty nine novel Goodbye to Berlin, which was later turned into the musical Cabaret. The original Broadway production opened on November twenty, nineteen sixty six. I remember nineteen sixty six. It was a great year at the Broadhurst Theater in New York City. It became a box office hit, ran for eleven hundred and sixty six performances, and was then turned into a film, Cabaret. The film ended up making forty two million dollars at the box office, which starred Liza Minelli and directed by Bob Fossey. That was a lot of money for a film to rake in at that time. Lorelei is comparing her Christopher to Christopher Isherwood. Both are rich and burning holes in their pockets. Did you know? Author Christopher Isherwood, who created the character of Sally Bulls, felt Liza Minelli was far too talented for the role. Hell of a thing. Sorry, kid, you're too good bye.
Speaker 2: Loralai and Rory are at Yale talking about dressing crazy for their lunch date.
Speaker 3: Oh so typical.
Speaker 2: Kid grows up, goes to a fancy school, becomes a snob, and is suddenly ashamed of her mother. You totally Mildred Piers to me. Mildred Pearce is in nineteen forty five American melodrama directed by Michael Curtis and starring Joan Crawford. In the film, Mildred and her daughter Vida do not get along and she's so ashamed of her mother. The film was later turned into a series starring Kate Winslet and Guy Pearce. I kind of remember that Laurai is saying Rory is ashamed of her by not dressing crazy for their lunch date. Did you know the original film starring Joan Crawford, the famous slap scene on the staircase was an actual slap. Joan instructed her costar and blythe to actually slap her.
Speaker 3: Wow. Wow, this is new and improved pop culture.
Speaker 4: This is juicy. Same scene, Laura's telling Rory about the reaction from Richard Emily not having to pay for Yale anymore. Laura says, they took it great. Mom practically broke the phone, she hung.
Speaker 3: Up so hard.
Speaker 4: And Dad, well, Dad was solemn, quiet, sad. It was a huge success. Okay, here's how I see it. You and your grandparents are at a huge crossroads. A press service, if you will. They are the Bridges of Madison County and you are Meryl Streep. So The Bridges of Madison County is a nineteen ninety five romantic film based on the novel written by Robert James Walker. It was produced and directed by Clint Eastwood, who also starred in the film alongside Meryl Streep. The film is set in nineteen sixty five, where Meryl Streep plays it Italian warbride Francesca Johnson, who lives with her husband and two children on their Iowa farm. That year, she meets national geographic photojournalist Robert Kincaid played by Clint Eastwood, who comes to Madison County to photograph its historic covered bridges. With Francesca's family away for a short trip, the couple have an intense four day love affair, and Lorelai is using this reference as a divide among their family. Meryl Streep is divided on what to do love Clint Eastwood's careacter or go back to her husband.
Speaker 1: Emily arguing what she finds music about the whole Christopher paying for Yale situation, Laurel I jokingly responds, lourl. Reno nine one one, that's a good line. Reno nine one one is an American comedy television series created by Robert Ben Garrant, Thomas Lennon, and Carrie Kenny Silver. Thomas Lennon is a comedic genius. It is a mockumentary documentary style parody of law enforcement documentary show, specifically cops, with comic actors playing the police officer. Laurai is naming off something amusing by responding to Emily, did you know the whole series is basically improvised by the cast.
Speaker 3: People love that show.
Speaker 1: Oh it's brilliant. It's brilliant. I mean, just it's so funny. It is really funny.
Speaker 2: I'm happy this once for me. Loreli and Luke are awkward in the morning and bump into each other, which if you miss the recap this week we dig into this, but Laura Li says it hurts so good, as mister Mellencamp said, is it bleeding? Okay, There's many reasons why I love this line, but first I'll tell you. John Mellencamp is a singer songwriter whose hit Hurt So Good landed number two on the Billboard Hot one hundred. Lorli quotes this song after bumping into Luke in the bedroom in the morning. John's daughter and our good friend, Teddy Mellencamp was on the Real Housewives of Beverly Hills. In a recent Watch What Happens Live interview with Teddy, he said he has only seen a few episodes the show and calls her dramatic.
Speaker 1: John Mellencamp's daughter Yeah, you didn't know that. I did not know that. Oh.
Speaker 3: Yes, So we work every day with Teddy Mellencamp. She is our pal. We'd love her. Her podcast is amazing.
Speaker 1: But we hung out at the Vegas thing. Yeah, I heard she's fantastic. That's her dad.
Speaker 4: Yeah, wait, Amy, have you met have you met John? Because I've met him with her?
Speaker 3: Oh are you serious?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Who's her mother?
Speaker 2: Her mom was married to John isn't now but at the time, but not famous.
Speaker 3: But this is the funniest thing, so I.
Speaker 1: Always correct it was before.
Speaker 2: So I always tell Teddy like, hell's your dad because I think he's so cute, And she'll say Pepaw And then sometimes she'll send me like Christmas photos where they're all there and literally, this.
Speaker 3: Is what I'll say about Peapa.
Speaker 2: It's like Christmas morning and Pea Paw is ten out of ten dressed in the coolest outfits I've ever seen. I'm literally like, Pepa is wearing that in the kitchen right now, like what a study has come out on stage, the kids have come out on stage with John, Like it's pretty cool.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's legit.
Speaker 2: Yeah. She she sends the barf emoji every time I say, your dad's a babe.
Speaker 3: So many people say it's her.
Speaker 4: When we were in Vegas for something with her, her dad was performing at the Oh that's right, and so he stopped by to say hi, and I was like, I think you just forget.
Speaker 3: We work with Teddy so much I forget.
Speaker 4: I'm like, oh, her dad's John Mellencamp, like ever, just.
Speaker 3: Forget well, And they have the total regular father daughter like. He's just a regular old dad to her. But to us, we're like, it's John Mellencamp.
Speaker 2: I just want to go Little Diddy, Little Doddy, Little Diddy.
Speaker 3: He's so awesome.
Speaker 1: So he was John Cougar and then he became.
Speaker 2: John Cougar Mellencamp, and then there was a time when he wasn't like John, don't call me Cougar. I think it was John Cougar. Then he was John Cougar Mellencamp. But he's really John Mellencamp.
Speaker 4: Teddy sometimes says the Kougs.
Speaker 3: Yes they do, ca the Cougs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we should have cold called Eddy.
Speaker 3: We should have just called her and been like, your dad's in our pop culture. Maybe we'll do that. He's recording right now.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, Tara, maybe we need to call her when we record again, give her a little shout out, because we did that with Mark Dallas. When we need to call all the celebrities.
Speaker 3: When their parents.
Speaker 1: You mentioned it's a whole new podcast exactly. Anyway, that's going to wrap it up here. Thank you, ladies, Tara sued Amy Sugarman. Next episode, Season six, episode fourteen. You've been Gilmore best friends on the planet. Keep the cards and letters coming. Don't forget to go to veeps dot events backslash I hyphen m hyphen all hyphen in for tickets to our live event January seventeenth, and it's going to start streaming a week after that, so you can get tickets to both. Anyway, I love you guys, Stay safe everyone, Hey, everybody, and at forget. Follow us on Instagram at I Am all In podcast and email us at Gilmore at iHeartRadio dot com.