Speaker 1: We're nearing the end of our time with Shakira.
Speaker 2: Hey, but it's not over until you get her to come to my Quadenttanieta.
Speaker 1: Sorry to disappoint you, but that's.
Speaker 2: Not ever give up.
Speaker 1: Yes, like Shakira, she never gave up, and she conquered it all, from her Telenovella obscurity to those regrettable nineties flops to becoming a household name.
Speaker 2: The same girl who wasn't good enough to join her high school's choir was now selling out arenas.
Speaker 1: She had the Pope as an audience, along with some of the most notable intellectuals of our time. She's building schools for kids and her ps, the Scotstols Foundation, is dedicated to helping impoverish youth.
Speaker 2: Saint Shakira the People's Latin princessa.
Speaker 1: And if that wasn't enough, she was also collaborating with the biggest stars on the planet, hosting reality competitions and creating anthems for the world to single onto.
Speaker 2: She was able to experiment with her sound no matter the language, and just be her authentic.
Speaker 1: And while others may have had to sacrifice all of that to fit into the American market, everything shifted to make room for her. She survived disappointment, setbacks, and heartbreak.
Speaker 2: I'm a survivor.
Speaker 1: I'm not gonna give up. I'm not gonna stop Kolkata.
Speaker 2: She even survived the benches, self doubt and realized that she was simply enough.
Speaker 1: She was in love, she was starting a family. She had overcome it all.
Speaker 2: But just when we thought the fairy tale was reaching its happily ever after, a new dragon appeared to burn it all down.
Speaker 1: On today's episode, you'll hear all about the terrifying emergency that almost ended her career, the making of El Dorado, and we'll go beyond the tabloid headlines for a closer look at the demise of her decade long relationship with soccer star Gerard Pique. I'm your host, Liliana Oosquez.
Speaker 2: And I'm Joseph Carrio and This is Becoming an Icon.
Speaker 1: A weekly podcast where we give you the rundown on how today's most famous LATINV stars have shaped pop culture.
Speaker 2: And given the world some extra tubble.
Speaker 1: Sit back and get comfortable.
Speaker 2: Because we are going in the only way we know how.
Speaker 1: With Buena's leave us usas and a lot of opinions as we relive their greatest achievements on our journey to find out what makes them so iconic. So we had you full, Tom, You didn't really think We're going to do a whole series of shows on Shakira and leave out this collaboration.
Speaker 2: The song that gaves cigars smoking a bed, romping Shakda and really, how did this collab even happen?
Speaker 1: Well, as the story goes, Once upon a time in twenty ten, Shakira had just released Salle Sol. While promoting it, she teased that she was already working on her upcoming album.
Speaker 2: Rumors immediately started.
Speaker 1: Okay, so going back, It's December twenty thirteen and their rumor mill claim Shakira and Rihanna were working together on a duet. That was followed up by claims that Shakira was filming a music video and that Rihanna had been spotted on set. Then the final confirmation the world needed from none other.
Speaker 2: Than Pitbull mister worldwide spilling secrets.
Speaker 1: Yeh He was on a radio show for an interview and he mentioned Rihanna couldn't do the feature for Timber because she was busy working with Shakira.
Speaker 2: Oh but it she's most so steadig lo and bold.
Speaker 1: After four years, the song was released in January twenty fourteen as a single for Shakira's upcoming self titled album.
Speaker 2: And it became an unforgettable hit.
Speaker 1: So I know your feelings on this song, but you and I differ on our passion for this.
Speaker 2: Song because you is a hating as a bin.
Speaker 1: You know, there are certain songs out there that on their own, they just like stand alone in their power, in their infectiousness. This song, for me personally, is not one of those. But that being said, when you watch the video along with the song, it makes the song so much better.
Speaker 2: That's just kind of where we differ. You heard the song first, I didn't, So I have visuals of being sexy, smoking cigars, pretending I'm a rolling around in a bathing sit with my motherfucking BEESTI so that is what it felt like.
Speaker 1: It's just one of those songs that for me needed the visuals, and it obviously didn't hurt that the visuals were Rihanna and Shakira slapping each other's asses in bed. I mean like the world could not ask for a sexier combination of women. And you know, bottom, I think it's like you said, it's just fun.
Speaker 2: It's fun, it's relatable, and it's the lyrics. I mean, I feel attacked, gagged, I'm living. The behind the scenes of this video really really takes me back. We're in twenty fourteen again. It's like my favorite ear and Rihanna is still releasing music. I mean, talk about a blast for in the past.
Speaker 1: I know it still hurts. I don't know when the album is coming, but it's okay. Maybe we will get through it. And what I love about this is that in the behind the scenes of the video, Rihanna is super humble about the whole thing, sharing that, you know what, it was actually a nightmare to shoot with Shatki.
Speaker 2: What tell us how you really feel, Rihanna?
Speaker 1: Okay, so I did you all a little dirty there? Let me explain. Let me explain. What she was saying was that the shoot was difficult for her because Shakira is the sexiest woman alive and here she is Rihanna having to shake her hips next to her, the woman who is literally known for her cut us read, we get it. Nobody wants that job.
Speaker 2: We do love a humble queen, but Rihanna is a goddess.
Speaker 1: She is, and Rihanna also shared that it was an amazing opportunity to collaborate with Shakira, calling her an icon in her eyes.
Speaker 2: We should have got her to do this episode with us. Should we call her?
Speaker 1: Do you have her number?
Speaker 2: Yeah? But I'm not allowed to call her or be within five hundred feet of her or whatever.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's not get into the legalities of your restraining orders plural. Let's move on.
Speaker 2: And Chaquida saying her praises right back, she said Rihanna is, without a doubt, the sexiest woman she's ever met. The two are an inspiring combo bound to make the Machia. They were able to blend it all together, reggae and rock for an incredible track.
Speaker 1: You know, at times it feels like Shakira works best on her own as a solo artist, but you know what she is all about the collab es actually with artists that she's admired for a long time, like the.
Speaker 2: Lead vocalist and guitarist of Soda Stereo, Gustavo Sarati. Soda Stereo, for all of our listeners that may not know them, is one of the biggest bands in Latin rock history.
Speaker 1: We're talking bigger than Green Day. I don't want to say that they're like the Latino Beatles, but you know what, let's just say it. And by the way, all when this episode ends, not now, when it ends, google Coldplay and Soda Stereo for a little intro class into their musika.
Speaker 2: Also, Chris Martin speaks in decent Espanol.
Speaker 1: Yes, he's very sexy when he sings in Spanish. Not that he's not sexy when he sings in English, but like, I don't know, the Spanish just took it to a whole other level.
Speaker 2: It's sexy. Yeah, ma man.
Speaker 1: Chris Shaki loved Sarati and soon they were close and frequent collaborators. She said of him, you can tell his influence over me. You can tell I'm a sarathianaigski Yaosmi.
Speaker 2: Did she make his name into an identity?
Speaker 1: She totally did. I kind of want that for myself.
Speaker 2: Me too, My boo better say I'm a Gotti Joanna.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that doesn't really roll off the tongue as.
Speaker 2: Well, bitch, I'm trying now.
Speaker 1: My favorite song that they ever wrote together, it's called.
Speaker 2: No Can I just say how much I love that? Song. It's so powerful.
Speaker 1: Just listen to these lyrics. Okay, I'm not going to sing the lyrics, but listen to the words. No, don't try to apologize. Don't insist as if it's just a game. Excuses already existed before you came up with them. No, don't look at me like you used to. Don't speak in plural rhetoric is your most lethal weapon.
Speaker 2: Okay, First of all, bitch, I could tell you were really feeling that, and I have the chills.
Speaker 1: Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: In May of twenty ten, Sarati had a stroke and would be in a coma for almost four years before he passed.
Speaker 2: Just like with Gobbo before, Shakido's always searching for collaborators that challenge her and help her grow.
Speaker 1: And Saradi was one of the biggest influences of her career.
Speaker 2: When news of his passing got to Shakida, she dedicated her performance of Salel Soul to him.
Speaker 1: Her wishful words when presenting the single were the following, It's the first time I'm singing this song officially. This is dedicated to everybody who has gone through a hard time, no matter how difficult things may seem there is a light at the end of the road, and this song I wanted to dedicate to my great friend Gustavo set up Gustavo. After the storm, the sun comes out.
Speaker 2: Not to worry, my DearS. Not all was lost in Shakida's life. Soon enough she gained what her heart and soul was truly yearning for.
Speaker 1: In twenty fourteen, Shakira shared this, I would love to have eight or nine kids, which your are my own football team. When you have a baby, you feel his love, you feel so at peace with the world. A year later, she gave birth to their second son, Sasha Pique Meba. By now, Shakira had packed up and was living with and her beautiful boys in Barcelona. As she described it, for the time being, her career came second. She was focused on family life and on supporting Pik and his football career.
Speaker 2: Red Flag.
Speaker 1: I'm so happy that you said this because this action is very triggering for me.
Speaker 2: One hundred percent, Like why would she have to take the back seat when she's already a global international superstar exactly?
Speaker 1: And when your partners in a life together, why does anyone's career have to take the backseat. Why not work together so that both of you can have success and achieved career goals. And you know what, I feel like it often happens in entertainment. I mean, think about women like Cameron Diaz, Selma Hayek, right, I mean even Jlo had to take that break when her twins were born, and even Mendez like, here is you know, Ryan Gosling crushing and she says it's been for a lack of good roles. But they're all kind of taking a little bit of a back seat, or they all chosen to take a back seat, And it makes me wonder why.
Speaker 2: Well, I want to ask you a really quick question. It's like, you know, right now, I know you are not taking a back seat, but you are wanting to spend time with your kids. So is it maybe also them wanting to be like I just also want to learn who this little person is, so we can't necessarily be like, oh, it's the masculinity. It's also like I'm just trying to play Devil's advocate here, like, because you're in a position where you're just kind of like, I do want to stay home.
Speaker 1: Totally listen, there is nothing wrong with any parent choosing to prioritize family over career. I champion that decision. I applaud people for making that decision because the most important thing that you do is raise your family. Right, But in Shakira's case, it didn't feel like it was a family only decision. And in this situation, Shakira left her country, she left her home for him. She stepped back when she should have been stepping forward. So in this case, to me, like you said, it was a major red flag. But it's, you know, something to think about. Why do we as women often have to make the decision between family and career when our male counterparts aren't often faced with those same decisions. Preach motherhood became Shakira's full time job, and the music took a back seat.
Speaker 2: She kept teasing a new album, but days turned into months and months turned into years.
Speaker 1: And yes, we all know she's about rediscovery, as we established in our last episode, But did her role as a mama mean that she couldn't be an artist? Like we said, why did she have to pick one or the other? And by the way, girl call me because the motherhood identity crisis is so.
Speaker 2: Real, and this crisis was so dire even considered early retirement.
Speaker 1: That's right. During an interview with The New York Times, this is what she had to say. I was full of doubts and I thought I was never going to make good music again. But as opposed to the shakira from Ladronez, who spent countless hours in the studio, she had to be more efficient and effective with her time. Now she had two little ones at home who needed her. If the album was meant to be, then it would be, and it did. She described it as finding inspiration itself and realizing it had always been there all along. That was my El Dorado, she said. And there was someone special who talked some sense into her, who encouraged her to keep going amidst the self doubt.
Speaker 2: PK.
Speaker 1: You can just say his name, normal.
Speaker 2: It's just a name, okay, Gerard PK Okay. Yes.
Speaker 1: Her Spanish footballer boyfriend told her that the right moment for her to retire would be when she no longer had anything else to say. But that moment it wasn't here yet.
Speaker 2: Wow, he really set her up for that one. Good huh. Now she has more than enough material for a whole damn boxe. So thank you pqu Let's.
Speaker 1: Not give him all the credit. You know who really helped Shakira get her groove back. Yes, The Colombian singer is best known for mixing the traditional with the more contemporary. Yes, that song is so damn catchy. I know it's different because we speak the language, but like, honestly, this is just a song. It's just good music. It's like feel good music. I also just love this version of Shakira. She just felt so care free in the video. She was back in Badankiya.
Speaker 2: She looked so happy, she was even glowing, like you could just tell that she felt like home.
Speaker 1: It did, and we had missed that side of her all.
Speaker 2: These years in Barcelona. I think really took a toll on our coolumbianna.
Speaker 1: For sure. She felt all kinds of disconnected physically, emotionally, mentally and spiritually. She was homesick and it took her reconnecting with her roots, her city, and her people to be able to make music again. Vivas had been wanting to collaborate with the Colombian star for a while. During an interview, Vivas revealed, I've always dreamt of writing, producing and recording a song with Shakira, so that together we can show our Colombia to the world.
Speaker 2: Did y'all know? This was Shakidra's first time collaboration with another Colombian.
Speaker 1: Artist, Crazy Right, and when she heard the demo that his team sent over, she loved it, but she needed to add that Shakira sparkle to it, so alongside Vivas, she rewrote lines like the catchy yeva ma and dhuvisikleta, and was the one that suggested that the song actually be titled le Vi Siicleta. In the song, Shakira sings that she loves both Marankia and Barcelona, but then they throw at you Gusia, Pique Algundia, le muestras elna. This Wassea Barcelona.
Speaker 2: Aka once Pks's help, Beauti Columbia is he won't want to lock her up in Spain.
Speaker 1: Much like bad Bunnies as the almost been, this music video shows a totally different side of Colombia that many people sadly don't get to see. Of the music video, Shakira said, it presents Columbia as I saw it through my childhood, and not as many people imagine it, not the Pablo Escobar Columbia, which is the cliche that lots of people who are not familiar with the rest of our reality only know about.
Speaker 2: It sparked something, Henny because she was writing again.
Speaker 1: El Dorado became the eleventh album in her.
Speaker 2: Career eleven albums all ready.
Speaker 1: She really doesn't stop none of our icons. Do you know what's crazy?
Speaker 2: Okay, well, this is what I think is crazy. El Dorado is where she lost her songbook, and then that's what she's naming this album. I mean it seems like full circle.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's way better than what I was going to say. So yes that El Dorado was packed with collaborations, two.
Speaker 2: With Colombian singer Maluma, one each with Nikki Jam, Vivis, Black, m Magic and Earth You're so good at that.
Speaker 1: Shakira did try to embark on the El Dorado World Tour, and it was supposed to kick off in November twenty seventeen, but the tour was postponed over and over again.
Speaker 2: Why was she busy trying for that football team with peaking?
Speaker 1: You would think so, but no. In November twenty seventeen, Shakira announced on her socials that she had suffered a vocal cord hemorrhage.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, the pipes were damaged, Holy Shiza.
Speaker 1: They put her on strict vocal rest and suggested surgery, but Shakira was terrified of surgery, so she relied on more non traditional measures.
Speaker 2: I am in to non traditional. What did Homegirl come up with?
Speaker 1: Hypnosis, meditation, even gargling with holy water from the French city of Ludres, anything to try and repair her vocal cords. She told The Guardian, either I needed surgery or divine intervention.
Speaker 2: How very late of her. It's definitely giving Gwyneth Paltro vibes.
Speaker 1: So goop and imagine it for a second, being a singer and losing your voice. It's like losing your identity.
Speaker 2: That's how I felt after I quit modeling.
Speaker 1: I bet Shaki called herself unbearable and bitter to be around.
Speaker 2: We've all been there, and honestly, I was there for like six years.
Speaker 1: Did the Agua Bandita do the trick for you?
Speaker 2: I'm still trying. Well.
Speaker 1: It worked for Shakira. She was back in the game and preparing for one of the biggest nights of her career. Welcome to Miami, Dmbnathos, I'm Miami, and welcome to Super Bowl fifty four. It's the performance that will not die and if.
Speaker 2: It does be equal resurrect.
Speaker 1: It, you can count on that. And the super Bowl in Miami featured none other than Jennifer Lopez and Shakira. It also happened to be Shakira's forty third birthday.
Speaker 2: So she gave us the gift of a lifetime.
Speaker 1: I feel like we should do an entire podcast about this super Bowl performance. I mean, Jennifer did an entire Netflix special audit, so clearly there's an audience. And this isn't the first time that we've talked about the super Bowl performance. We of course talked about it when we had our j Lo Icon episodes. But let's talk about what makes Shakira really stand out on this stage, and that for me was the choreography, the dancing, the movement. Because we all know that Shakira can sing, but I think we also don't realize is that she can dance like nobody else. She is such a skilled dancer, and what was so amazing about this particular performance is that she brought everything Colombian to that stage. So part of that routine was something called chumpfeta, which I did not know about. Until that night. Do you know what chumpeta is?
Speaker 2: Just sae, I am just actually I'm just learning about that right now, so enlighten.
Speaker 1: Me, okay. So, Jompeta is a style of dance that actually originated in Shakida's hometown of a Badanghia, and it's really known for this complicated footwork and it is such a core part of Colombian culture. She brought that to the stage, and as if Champeta wasn't enough, she also brought to the forefront another Afro Colombian dance called mapale right, and both of these dances were choreographed by Paris Goobel, who of course is like the hottest choreographer on the planet. But seeing Shakira do those dances and bring attention to something that is such an organic part of her culture and so Columbian her city, yeah, I mean it was really special and for somebody that loves dance and who doesn't like it was just so cool to like open my mind because when I saw her doing the chump beeta, I was like, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa?
Speaker 3: What is that?
Speaker 1: It's some real fancy footwork, like you know, like Lord of the dance has got nothing on Champeta. I loved Lord of the Dance for Latinos. That performance was such a beautiful expression of how diverse our cultures are. J Loo and all of her Bodiquenez up on that stage. Shakita and all of her Columbiana is up there, and it was really beautiful for everyone else to see that diversity, but also how unified we are. And you know what, despite all the false media narratives about the conflict between Jlo and Shakira, both women handled that performance with so much grace.
Speaker 2: You know, Shakida's no stranger to sharing the spotlight with iconic women like Beyonce, Rihanna and now j Lo. She knows how to bring it and how to make everyone look good.
Speaker 1: During their joint press conference, Jlo shared her experience growing up with a football obsessed family, but Shakira well, she admitted that growing up in Columbia American football was way outside of her comfort zone.
Speaker 2: But both women agreed on one thing. The Super Bowl halftime show is the pinnacle of live performances.
Speaker 1: To perform on a global stage of that magnitude was an honor and a privilege.
Speaker 2: And yet there she was opening what would quickly become one of, if not the most iconic halftime show either.
Speaker 1: Can we do a quick fit chat. I feel like we've talked a lot about the music and the dancing, but I need to go in on her fits. Let's count down her top three performance looks, not of the super Bowl, but of all time. Okay, Joseph So coming in at number three, give it to us.
Speaker 2: Shakita rat unplugged truly gave me back her Shakda rocker with her red hair and her leather pants and boots, and she was just vibing in I.
Speaker 1: Love this look. I mean, for a lot of people, this was their first glimpse at Shakira, like who she was as an artist, what she represented. But that leather pant leather boot combo became a signature when it came to Shakira's style. Now let's talk about number two.
Speaker 2: Sexy Shakira and La Toura. I can't even describe it. Her hair is preasy and the video is is just everything. This is a sexy Shakida that I absolutely fell refell in love with.
Speaker 1: She looked so sexy in this She's wearing this black knotted T shirt with a bikini underneath, and then she's got this like black mini skirt, and of course she has her signature blonde hair. She had already transitioned from the red into the blonde, but it was covered in black paint and it was a pinnacle sexy Shakira for sure, totally.
Speaker 2: And finally, the most iconic performance look of all time.
Speaker 1: Let's call it what it is. This is icon Shakira, of course, naturally at the super Bowl. And I cheated because it's technically three looks in one by Peter Dunda. I know, I cheated. And of course the first one was like this red Sarasky crystal set. When she's asked about the show, she talks about how this red symbolizes fire and passion and it's been a signature color for her in many performances. She loves to wear like that really vibrant red. But this was, yeah, it is. And this was like a two piece skirt set, had a boustier top, it had a removable corset, and then out of nowhere, it transformed into a second look, which was that like beautiful fringe and feathered skirt that was hidden under her sarong.
Speaker 2: It's like.
Speaker 1: So right, it's like Transformers fashion. But then it gives way to her third and final look from the super Bowl performance, which was that gilded gold set, and that gold was meant to represent celebration and also symbolize the champion that is Shakira. To be honest, there's so many good performance looks to choose from, and I actually prefer Shakira in performance looks rather than red carpet looks. I feel like she's not as comfortable on a carpet as she is on a stage, and it shows because she like turns it up for her performances.
Speaker 2: But her performance outfits are insanity Caine. Wow. You know.
Speaker 1: I think she's just more comfortable dressing up and kind of like channeling this altere version of herself on stage, whereas in real life I think she's super cash Like. I think she's literally like bisskussles in her house in jeans and a T shirt.
Speaker 2: Like that tank top end the low jeans because she's that girl.
Speaker 1: Oh, she is all about a low rise. She'd never left the low rise, honey, And if I had a stomach like that, I wouldn't either. Joseph algom Pica, Oh.
Speaker 2: Girl, I have been sharpening these nights. Let's go.
Speaker 1: Shakira and Pikue they were everywhere. Forbes named them one of the world's most powerful couples. Singers were shouting them out in songs. She described their romance as passionate and exciting.
Speaker 2: You kinda watch out for those and you guys.
Speaker 1: They first met on the music video set for Waka Waka. The video featured several famous soccer players like Dani Alves, Carlos Kameni, Lionel Messi, and Raphael Markets.
Speaker 2: So Gerard wasn't that special.
Speaker 1: I mean, Shakira had no clue who pik was, but that didn't stop her from thinking, you know, he was cute and strategically sharing that little tidbit with the right people. We'll explain you. See, Shakira was at the FIFA World Cup in May of twenty ten. Now file that date away for later, okay. So pi k was arriving to the World Cup after her, and of course he needed to know what to pack, so he texted one of the hottest and most talented women in the world to ask her about the weather. The other has this man never heard of? Google? Alexa Siri? Like, I don't know pick your virtual assistant. It's so lame, so lame, and he knew that he had zero game, so the only way to see her and actually get her to agree to a date with him was to win the whole damn Cup.
Speaker 2: Excuse me a fact check time. At this moment in time, Shakio was dating the Laua. She was not even available.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, I know.
Speaker 3: So.
Speaker 1: In August twenty ten, Shakira and Antonio confirmed they were done, so immediately after Shakiro was spotted with Gerard. Even though they kept claiming they were just friends, they.
Speaker 2: Made their relationship social media official in front of God and Facebook the summer with a photo and the caption.
Speaker 1: Was leespresento amisol aka, I present to you my son.
Speaker 2: Salle el sool. Oh shit, it's all adding up.
Speaker 1: Well it did for almost a decade, and of course two babies later. But in June of twenty twenty two, Shaki and Pique confirmed their split.
Speaker 2: We should have known something was up when she was promoting the music video for Can't Remember to Forget You.
Speaker 1: Oh I forgot about that, but yes, she shared this. He's very territorial and since he no longer lets me do videos with men, Well, I have to do them with women. It's more implied in our relationship that I can't do videos like I used.
Speaker 2: To controlling, trying to cage our loba h.
Speaker 1: Shakira was determined to make it work. She sacrificed her identity, her country, her hot men in the videos, and her career for him. And also Pique was just kind of known for being a total party boy.
Speaker 2: I mean kind of like to me. Anyways, the man liked to step out and not just out on the town.
Speaker 1: Okay, on one of those boys' nights out, PK meets glad at Chia Marti and y'all please don't at her. Don't look her up on Twitter or Instagram. She's had enough heat from the rest of us. But anyway, paparazzi caught wind of the two and basically said she was quote unquote younger. Eh gross, and you know what I saw the photos. I'm just gonna say she was a budget Shakira.
Speaker 2: It's giving a cliche.
Speaker 1: It's getting tired. And insiders told The Sun.
Speaker 2: Wait wait wait, the literal Sun or PK no.
Speaker 1: The news outlet. They reported that p K offered Clara a job at his company, after meeting her at a nightclub. And get this, his boys helped him keep the affair on secret. Shut your but this is giving me Vander Pump rules, Tom Schwartz, and Tom Sandoval all over again. And it wasn't just his boys that helped cover it up, so did his mama.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, it's always the swaggrass.
Speaker 1: And soon their marriage began to unravel.
Speaker 2: Shakita was going through a difficult time and her boy was out there with the new boo. She went through her hemorrhage.
Speaker 1: Scare, plus the tax fraud accusations.
Speaker 2: Okay, wait, can you give the people at home listening a quick rundown of all that drama?
Speaker 1: Yes, but I need another coffee for this, so we'll be right back after this little cafe seat the break, okay. Shakira versus Los Conquistellons the cliff notes. The Spanish government charged Shakira with defrauding the country of fourteen point five million euros in taxes that's roughly about fourteen million American dollars between twenty twelve and twenty fourteen. They're claiming that she was a legal resident of Espagna during that time, but our Lobita claims that she was living in the Bahamas and didn't really move to Barcelona until twenty fifteen. So if convicted, Shaki could be facing eight years behind bars and a twenty three point seven million euro fine.
Speaker 2: That's a lot of money an album that is going to be a good album now.
Speaker 1: When asked about the situation during an interview with Lle, here's what she responded. I have to fight for what I believe because these are false accusations. First of all, I did spend one hundred and eighty three days per year at that time at all, I was busy fulfilling my professional commitments around the world. Yeah, bitches, Okay, she didn't say that. I said that. Second, I've paid everything they claimed I owed, even before they filed a lawsuit, so as of today, I owe zero to them. And finally, I was advised by one of the four biggest tax specialist firms in the world. Yes, Shakira, you drop Price Waterhouse Coopers.
Speaker 3: So I was.
Speaker 1: Confident that I was doing things correctly and transparently from day one.
Speaker 2: Okay, Wow, none of this really seems fair to me, right, It's just crazy.
Speaker 1: Listen, they need the money, we all do. But I'm sure there is way more to this story. We just don't have an entire investigative podcast team on the trail. But wait, Joseph, hold on, should we?
Speaker 2: This is all too much for my brain and my heart. I can't. Plus, Pika had the balls to be tossing his around with another woman. Hell to the no.
Speaker 1: And how she found out about the amanthe y'all, it is straight out of a bad rom com. Let me tell you how it happened. Shaki goes away on tour and when she comes back, she opens her fridge for a little late night snack, only to find that her favorite strawberry jam had been eaten her what ough men never notice details? So Shakira noticed that her favorite strawberry jam it was gone. Someone had eaten it. No big deal normally, right, But here's this. Pike doesn't eat strawberry jam. He's on these special diets and he can't eat it. And her little boys, well, they hate it.
Speaker 2: Some sneaky link had been up in her house. Nobody touches Shacki's jam.
Speaker 1: And all jokes aside, this was a heartbreaking time for her.
Speaker 2: There was the tax fraud Hurstwegara Brucha, who gave her the whack ass haircut advice, and now her ex partner was gallivanting around Basia with the other woman.
Speaker 1: During interviews with El Lunivision and Rolling Stone, she got super vulnerable, simply sharing that this is the darkest hour of her life.
Speaker 2: She was so honest and upfront about it all, saying many of us unfortunately grow up believing that we need a man to complete us, that you need the man the family to be considered a true woman, And sadly, like many, she bought into the whole fantasy.
Speaker 1: And we can all agree that it is not easy to end such a big public relationship, especially when children are involved. So Shakira major Ard promise that they were going to wait out any kind of public announcement for a year for the sake of their kids, Sasha and Milan.
Speaker 2: But glad Ambique had their own plans. They trolled CHECKI toa by kis kissing in public and posting pictures together online.
Speaker 1: I hate them like I literally hate them. So Shaquia did what bitch had to do.
Speaker 2: She entered her singles era she single. She's releasing those singles and spilling all the tea with her masterful lyrics.
Speaker 1: The Felicito with Rau A Lejandro with Ozuna and TQG with fellow Columbiana and our girl Crush Forever love Her Harold g.
Speaker 2: All in Spanish so p K can understand every word and.
Speaker 1: The lyrics are so good. It's one of those times when I wish people all spoke Spanish because translating them just doesn't do it justice. I don't know. Take some dual lingos so you can listen to the song in Spanish.
Speaker 2: Between Monotonia and TQG. Shakita released the disk track to end all dis tracks.
Speaker 1: Mind you, he was also a classy I know, I know, it was a lot of shade, but she kind of held back. Our girl's a class act and it's been years since Shukid has been her true artistic self. Remember, Pik had a lot of rules and opinions.
Speaker 2: Once they were done, she was free to collaborate with male artists again. When the bezer Rap session came out, everything was out in the open.
Speaker 1: If anyone ever cheats on me, warning Patrick, I'm stealing a page from Shakir's book.
Speaker 2: Bitch wrote the playbook on calling out all of these trifling men.
Speaker 1: She sure did.
Speaker 2: But for the people like me who are catching up on all of this drama, who on earth is bizer App?
Speaker 1: I'm so happy you asked.
Speaker 2: So.
Speaker 1: He is an Argentine DJ and a record producer, and he's really known for doing a lot of Latin trap or rap and mixing in a little bit of edim and he is so well known for these music sessions, they're like legendary. And he has this way of bringing out really raw emotions from artists like Messi Dente Viano a piano and now shook Kira. And if you guys have not actually watched the video for the song, I highly encourage you to find it on YouTube because like, listening to it is one experience, but watching her look dead into that camera and sing like she does not care about any of us. She is literally singing this straight type que am I right, yeah. And I think oftentimes with Shakira's videos were like, oh, we want some huge, like over dramatic production, like rolling in a bed with Rihanna, like turning into a mermaid. No no, no, no, no no no. This video is raw and real because that's exactly yeah, that's what the song is. And there's so many good little like singers in there from her like she says made heesta de vesina la suegra. So that means that you left your mom as my neighbor. Because again, I don't know if you guys know this, but Shakira literally lives like across the way from Pik's mom. But I think my favorite line las mohs yo yoran las mohees fact durdan, it's Soka. She's like, I'm not crying for you, bitch, I'm getting paid with this song, print print ching ching oh loo.
Speaker 2: Well, my favorite line, because since you're saying your favorite line, I tell you mine ivo viste mas dura like you think you hurt me, but you made me stronger. I felt that shit.
Speaker 1: And as we're here translating these lyrics, so was everybody else watching this video, because everybody, whether you spoke Spanish or English, wanted in on that chiement.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna say it, Benito's impact there. I said it.
Speaker 1: No, you're one thousand percent right for sure, and I can't believe that we've left out the mastermind behind this collaboration. oOoOO, this may surprise you, But Milan wait.
Speaker 2: Like Christina Milian or Milan, her son.
Speaker 1: Her son. Shakira says that her ten year old son had been telling her for months to work with bizrab and he even sent Shakira's manager of voice note telling him to make it happen.
Speaker 2: Come through Miho Milan getting your mom on the best breakup song ever.
Speaker 1: And Shakira was all over it. She did not hold back any punches. She even took a swing at that ex Suegra with the help of a bruja. Here's what Twitter had to say about that move. Shakira setting up a witch mannequin on her balcony to face her ex mother in law's house while blasting her Gerard PK distract at full volume is the exact setty standard we should all aspire to in twenty twenty.
Speaker 2: Three, Like Wow, for all you non Latinos, there is no coming back from that punch.
Speaker 1: No, like you go for the Swegura like it's a jugular, It's over over and this track with Bizarrap actually broke over fourteen Guinness World Records.
Speaker 3: Wow, Lobot status activated and before anyone listening dms us or emails us telling us that she's being immature or acting out.
Speaker 1: Just take a second. Put yourself in her shoes for just a minute.
Speaker 2: Also, there's a video of PIC's mom grabbing Shaki by the face. I'm not saying she deserves it, but I'm also not not saying it.
Speaker 1: And if this one music session is any indication of what's to come, we are in for some good old fashioned female rage with the upcoming album.
Speaker 2: I need a minute to come down from that cheeth Mahai, bring me back.
Speaker 1: Okay, breathe in out, in out the must Now, let's slip things down, reset and take it back to where it all started. Her music.
Speaker 2: Hey, don't forget her sainthood.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's kind of hard to really understand the depth of her artistry until you really dissected album by album, moment by moment. She was truly ahead of her time, and it's an incredible gift to see the progression and the evolution of the music industry through a career as illustrious as Shakira's.
Speaker 2: I don't think anyone will be able to recreate her magic like ever.
Speaker 1: I don't think that's a bad thing. I mean, there are so many amazing new performers coming into their own right now who are inspired by her creativity and driven by her commitment to pure artistry. But they're standing on their own sound as style. It's exactly what Shakira would have wanted for them.
Speaker 2: Unique voices with so much to say to the world through their mut.
Speaker 1: On the next Becoming an Icon.
Speaker 2: Can't get enough of that shock et neither can we, so we'll.
Speaker 1: Be diving into all the recent headlines with our pop culture expert and breaking down Shakira's moved to Miami. There's so much, so much to discuss. Becoming an Icon is presented by Sonoo and Iheart's Michael Duda podcast Network. Listen to Becoming an Icon on the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcast, or wherever you get your podcast