Speaker 1: Welcome back to Bob WEFs podcast. My guest today is Steve Hotel, President CEO of Overdrive. Steve, what exactly is Overdrive?
Speaker 2: Bob?
Speaker 3: Overdrive is a mission based company that has, over the last forty years been one of the pioneers in the new format of reading books on the screen, which we all know today as an ebook, as well as digital audio books that you could listen to anytime, anywhere while you're walking or in the car commuting. And as a result, the Overdrive business has become the single largest supplier of digital books to schools, libraries, universities, and other institutions globally.
Speaker 2: As a result of this work.
Speaker 3: Over the list twenty five to twenty five plus years.
Speaker 1: Okay, just to sort of define what's going on here, are clear things up. If I am getting a book from Amazon, I'm buying the book. Are you involved in that transaction at all?
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 3: When you are buying an ebook from Amazon, you're purchasing an ebook in their Kindle format, either to read on an ein Kindle device or to read on a tablet or your phone on the Kindle app. So Amazon has built their own ecosystem and a proprietary file format, the Kindle format. They built their business on some of the earlier work that Overdrive did. Because Kindle was introduced by Amazon in two thousand and seven. Oversdrive started digitizing books on floppy diskets in the nineteen eighties. So I am the proud recipient of an honor in this industry. I've been part of more digital book failures than any person alive because I started too early putting books on floppy diskets, and then a decade on CD RAM and by the late nineties mid nineties, when this Internet thing showed it had some promise, Overdrive was the pioneers that helped create the environment for the ebook and the audiobook markets today. So we've been into this business much longer than most and we participate in many aspects of it. But Amazon is a direct to consumer closed system.
Speaker 1: Okay, so what format do you distribute books in?
Speaker 3: We distribute books in most of the popular open industry standards, and there is an industry standard that has evolved as a result of overdrives participation twenty five years ago, when this nascent book end was trying to see about how they might grow a digital electronic book future. Today it's known as epop EPUB, and that is a global acronym, just like your listeners would be familiar with the MP three file format. It's an open industry standard that allows any content creator to package their written work in a digital container and make it broadly available for retail booksellers for their own website, and it could be used by thousands of devices and reading apps. That is kind of the ubiquitous ebook standard today, and that's for books and texts and images you read on a screen in the audio space. Overdrive has its own proprietary apps, but it is all really based upon the original audio files we get from the audio publishers and their suppliers, and we are leveraging some of the open industry standards and then applying as required by the rights holders the controls that manage access copyright digital rights management. So we are based on open industry standards and then to meet the requirements of the rights holders, we utilize copyright protection tools.
Speaker 1: Okay, if I'm a user and I own a computer, can I write something and turn it into EPUB format?
Speaker 2: Absolutely.
Speaker 3: EPUB has been an adopted industry wide standard for mobile online reading for now, going back twenty plus years. Many of the tools like Microsoft Office and Word will allow you to take a word document and save it as an EPUB. Now EPUB actually in the technical stance is a variety of what's called XHTML. So the web standards of XML, HTML and many of the open metadata standards of the Internet are also utilized in the in the ebook world in the epook standard. So there's free tools to take your web content. There are many tools to convert a PDF into epub, and there are lots of service based industries working inside publishing houses or as a service bureau to help content creators and publishers transition their files into an ebook marketplace.
Speaker 1: Okay, needless to say, publishers own the rights. What is the relationship between overdrive and publishers.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm going to just comment on your statement. Publishers own the rights to distribute and merchandise and build you know, the market, and promote and.
Speaker 2: Sell the books.
Speaker 3: But the ownership of the rights is a little bit more diverse. We see that today's world authors sometimes still control all of the rights. So our relationship, as you appropriately stated, is with publishers, aggregators, or in some limited cases, we work directly with the publisher to get permission for the digital book file to have overdrives right to sell it, market it, and fulfill it worldwide based on the permissions granted. And I know your audience is very familiar with the complexity of the music space and copyright and mechanical and license fee and royalties. There is a similar hierarchy and rights structure in publishing, less complicated than music. I'll thankfully say, but for every title, Overdrive seeks permission from the rights holder. And let's just say it's a publisher like Penguin, Random House or Simon and Schuster, that they are giving us the rights to the Stephen King novel that we could sell in the territories where they have the permissions. So for let's say Simon and Schuster us they may give us a new Stephen King novel, and those permissions may be granted for North America. Because Stephen King and his agent may have done a deal for ebook distribution in London, or in Germany or in Australia with a different publisher, we have to go in every territory to those that have the rights to distribute the work in the territory. And then similarly, we work with the publisher to get the permission on how they want to enable access for the institutional buyer and what rights they have with that digital file. I know that sounds like it's complex, and unfortunately it is.
Speaker 2: But we are best known, BOB.
Speaker 3: For the dramatic adoption of ebook and audiobook usage from our nation's public libraries. So I'm going to use that as a use case to kind of bring down to you more day to day how this impacts your listeners. Let's say you hear about a new bestseller that you're excited to listen to on your commute to work, and you're in love with audiobooks, And yes, we do educate millions of listeners that instead of paying for a subscription and a credit card and ads, your public library is an unbelievable, untapped off in resource for access to lifelong books. For free ebooks you can read on your kindle, Audiobooks you can listen to on your commute or on your walk, or on your tablet. And so if you are a patron of a public library, as public library patrons have been doing for one hundred and almost two hundred years in this country, you walk into a public library if there's a popular book, they may have enough units and it's available for you to borrow now. And in the physical print world, if there's if it's in demand and they're all checked out, you would add yourself to a wait list or place a hold, and when the book becomes available, the library would notify you your books available, pick it up. We have created a replication of that experience going to your digital virtual branch online searching and browsing for a book of interest, and with one click you can immediately borrow the book. But for let's say this Stephen King new novel, Simon and Schuster as others, have created permissions that if a user if an institution and bob you're in the Los Angeles area and we have a dramatic, fabulous partnership with the Los Angeles Public Library. So if a listener is going to Los Angeles Public Library excited about the new Stephen King, Simon and Schuster book, they may see that the library has of the e book or the audiobook, one hundred copies of the e book one hundred copies of the audiobook, depending.
Speaker 2: On when they check it in.
Speaker 3: They may see that they're all checked out, and in our app called Libby, and the app is free and the books are free from.
Speaker 2: Your library Libb Libby.
Speaker 3: They may see they're all checked out and you are number fifty two on the wait list. Libby will also say you have approximately like a one week wait. So we have replicated the experience that in the sense where the publisher and the permissions are to only sell the library a number of units, they mandate that for every unit the library buys, just like physical one person can borrow at a time. If that is the model that the library acquires the book under the ebook or the audiobook, well, then the experience is very similar to the print or the physical CD. For the audio, one user at a time. If they're all checked out, the patron clicks put me on the wait list, Libby will automatically notify them the book is available.
Speaker 2: Click here to.
Speaker 3: Start enjoying your read or enjoying your listen. That is the model that built the ebook and audiobook lending in public library. So that is kind of the baseline of the permissions we as publishers. For they set the price. We respect the territorial permission of the author and the publisher, and for every title we seek to get multiple permissions so that our libraries, our schools, our universities, our corporate learning centers can actually acquire the digital book with multiple ways to make it available. I shared with you the most common way, one user at a time. They buy ten copies, ten users can read it, then the rest have to wait till it's the return.
Speaker 1: Okay. Overdrive only works with institutions, and it only is on the public library side, or is there any conventional retail at all.
Speaker 3: Overdrive has a thirty year history of being behind the scenes with ebook and audiobook fulfillment for a number of direct to consumer retail experiences. But we have that side of the Overdrive business is much smaller today, and today we are focused and ninety x percent of our revenue that we are the single largest supplier of digital books, books you can read and those are for all ages in all categories. Digital magazines and periodicals, manga, graphic novels and comics, audiobooks and streaming video and we service every type of institution. We're best known for the success Libby and Canopy. Canopy is our streaming It's like Netflix for Library Canopy with the ka NPY similar to you can cut your subscription to Audible or other paid services with Libby for ian audio or audiobooks. Similarly for the streaming video platform. Canopy has the largest collection of feature films, documentary and children and world cinema, more than Netflix. And again with the library card, the app is free and the content is free. We service public libraries and in the US where in every zip code in North America, US and Canada. We serve about sixty percent of the schools in the United States, so that's pre K through high school. Overdrive is globally supplying ebooks, audiobooks, streaming video, magazines, and content to universities, colleges. We are in thousands of corporate knowledge centers. We supply the US military, professional associations and the like. So we supply almost every form of library, public, academic, school, corporate knowledge center, government, military, prison libraries. That is where we are best known worldwide, and today we are available in over ninety thousand institutions. So pretty much anywhere humans exist, they are using our Libby oursa, our Canopy apps or platforms on set tops or browsers to benefit from content lifelong free content courtesy of their local library, university, or school.
Speaker 1: Okay, just to do some backfill here. Independent retailers are now selling digital books. Who is doing the fulfillment on that?
Speaker 3: That is today being dramatically supported by bookshop dot org, our good friends out of Brooklyn. In that past, Overdrive had a role in it. And like I said, if this was if we were doing this interview twenty years ago, I would be listing a big litany of publishers that we are powering direct to consumer ebook, audiobook or retail bookstores. When I said, I've been part of more ebook failures. Bob is an entrepreneur born and raised in Cleveland, Ohio. I came home to my family said this is it. We are now going to be the ebook supplier for borders. I just came back from ann Arbor. Well that wasn't it. You know, years before I said this is it, we are going to be the number one e book supplier and one billion cell phones, the biggest mobile cell phone worldwide. We just did no Kia. Well that was a few months before the iPhone was launched, you know, So you know we work today. Retail independent bookstores are very well supported by my buddy Andy Hunter at bookshop dot org. And Andy is doing a great job letting all the independents add a full catalog of Ian audiobooks so they can compete with the Amazons and the and some of the other big boxes.
Speaker 1: Okay, do you have any competitors in this sphere? Is there somebody else who's licensing written words audio books and providing them to institutions.
Speaker 3: Yes, we do, and in the in the markets we serve because we are global. Business started here from Cleveland, Ohio. I'm delighted to say that we created the category and we were the ones that pioneered early ebooks. And then about twenty five years ago launched the first public library popular digital book service. And that was years before Kindle or iPads and you know the current ebook environment. And we've over the years, we've had the traditional booksellers, the schools and libraries tried to develop a digital business because they had all of the embedded relationships with the authors in the supply chain. They knew all the publishers, they had the relationships with the rights holders. They service the library and university, and you know the big school district communities, so these would be the Baker and Taylors and the Ingram book groups or in the k twelve defilettes. So all of those traditional booksellers to schools, libraries, institutions, every one of them then developed a digital extension to their physical or their print businesses, and many of those are still in the market today. So we have competitors with Baker and Taylor has a platform called Boundless. There's a legacy CD RAM and DVD distributor to libraries, Midwest Tape out of Holland, Ohio. They created a competitive platform called Hoopla. All of them followed us, but collectively overdrives Libby and Canopy. In the North American public library, we are the dominant leader in many cases, we are the sole supplier to many of these biggest systems in the markets, but we do have competition, and in international markets we have competitors in Germany and here and there, all over the space. And if I look at Universe, it's a different group of competitors. If I look at students in the classroom from kindergarten through high school, we have educational competitors. But for the mainstay of you know, public library, consumer ebook and audiobook, it would be the traditional book suppliers to the market and the few I mentioned.
Speaker 1: Okay, Let's say I'm a library system you talk about the County of Los Angeles, and I have an arrangement with Overdrive to provide titles. Would they buy titles from anybody else or rent whatever it may be, or is it an exclusive relationship?
Speaker 3: In most cases with public libraries, there's no contractual exclusivity, but as a de facto business practice, they're only buying from us. And that is the majority of the In the United States, public library data is very available. So we know that out of our nation systems of public libraries roun you know, thirteen fourteen thousand public library systems in the United States. Out of those systems, Overdrive is supplying about eighty five percent of all of the digital book inventories that public libraries used last year. So collectively, all of our competitors might you know, be sharing about fifteen percent of the spend, and we capture the majority of it. And it's not by contract or exclusivity. It's by delivering the best experience for the patron and the listener. It's by having services and features within the experience that want people to use our libby app or canopy. And we're constantly and we do have some competitive advantages that frustrate others. So, for example, in the US, the dominant way many of the adult fiction community enjoy books and reading are on their kindle. Overdrives the only supplier where you can borrow a new bestseller New York Times Bestseller from the Los Angeles Public Library in Libby and through an arrangement an agreement with Amazon, you can borrow it from the library and within a moment open up your kindle paperwhite and start reading the book you borrowed for free in Libby from the library in kindle, and at the end of the fourteen or twenty one days on your kindle, the book expires and gets checked back into the system, all managed by Overdrive. So Overdrive in twenty eleven added a read with Kindle option, and because we're the only ones, Amazon entered into that arrangement with This is another reason why most libraries who are buying popular books will look at Overdrive and Libby as the supplier, because if you bought the book from one of the other suppliers, you would not have the kindle option. So that is just one of many competitive reasons why we've been successful in winning the business. Because we deliver value. We're accountable as well as public libraries and our schools and our universities, and our government agencies, military and prisons are mostly nonprofits, and Overdrive has developed into a mission based company. We know that if we're going to capture federal, state, regional taxpayer money and budgets, we have to earn and be held accountable for how those taxpayer federal funds are being utilized. And we develop, we deliver proven value, and we hold ourselves up to higher standards. And for those reasons, we have continued to grow our footprint in those markets and frustrate our competitors.
Speaker 1: Okay, very occasionally on the libby app in Los Angeles, I will borrow a book that is not readable on the kindle. Is that because the publisher made a restriction or they got that book from a third party?
Speaker 3: Well, typically it is when we ingust and our size of our catalog and businesses constantly.
Speaker 2: Expanding.
Speaker 3: But in a typical month we will add about one hundred thousand new digital books that are mostly brand new books, and with one hundred thousand books coming in in all languages for all audiences. I'm talking about Japanese manga Arabic audio books read alongs where the children and the babies can see the words and follow the engagement and the hear the words. We add categories of content that are not supported by a Kindle device, So often if you are picking up a select title, if it doesn't have Kindle compatibility, or there is some other inability for the Amazon Catalog to do the enablement. But for most of the English language popular trade books. Trade books are the popular books you see at Amazon, Barts and Noble. We have a very high percent Kindle availability in the US, so yes, you will see some books and sometimes it might only be a gap. We just added it it's a hot new book, and you know we're getting in sync with the Amazon catalog because we're not actually sending the file to the Kindle. We've engineered with Amazon a process that allows Kindle to fulfill the title under the terms and conditions of the library permissions we have. So you will find some occasional books that you can open. And this would be for example, I believe our magazines. Libby does fantastic on magazines, but I don't believe Kindle is supporting our magazines so that you will see pockets of inventory you can borrow in Libby in the US where there's not an immediate Kindle availability.
Speaker 1: Okay, point blank, let's just use Los Angeles as an example. They have the right to buy from your competitors. Those books would be at a disadvantage, do they or most people that you work with, they're getting all their content from you.
Speaker 3: The vast majority are buying the vast majority of their digital collection from Overdrive. For the value we deliver, we have to earn the right.
Speaker 1: Place, Okay, but the lines are exceptions.
Speaker 3: There's exceptions. So if I don't have a book, you need the book, God bless you. You have to get the book. Because content is king. Content is and will always remain king. And this is why I'll renew a subscription I canceled two years ago because I have a book or a series or streaming and that I'll go through a bad experience or competitors platform. So we do have The reality is in dozens of major metro markets, or Overdrive maybe supplying ninety five percent of all the digital books, they still could have several other competitors. Usually when they have multiple competitors, it's because they're buying it for a selection of either titles that we don't offer for one or various reasons, or some other legacy reasons. So yes, but it's very rare that they're going to buy the same title, the new Sarah Jay Moss or you know Dan Brown, or you know John Grisham. They will occasionally buy the John Grisham in my platform and one of my competitors, because they do have an audience of users and it could be seniors that learn this system, and they don't want to learn a new system. You know, it's America, and we do not have we do not you know, handcuff our buyers with you know, restrictions, and you can't buy for my competitor. I want to win the business because I offer the best value, the best service, and the best selection.
Speaker 2: But in reality that does exist.
Speaker 3: I could show you the homepage of many California libraries. You'll see what's the most prominent app and the experience they promote in library online. It would be Libby for books, Canopy for video. But in many cases I'll go in the library and I'll see our competitors banner stands and you know, bookmarks and you know merchandising. We're not exclusive and many of our customers have multiple suppliers, but they're buying usually smaller select and they may have a variety of reasons why they did that.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's talk about overdrives. Relationship with publishers. As you stated, you've been in this business along time. It has been a long evolution. Yes, let's just say, with the major publishers today, do you have an annual or multi year deal that covers all their books or are they charging different prices for different titles? How does it work?
Speaker 3: Yeah, our business is not too different from what you would think of a traditional distributor. Let's take Ingram Content Group, and Ingram would be known across many industries. Micro Ingram and Ingram Books or Baker and Taylor is very specific to public library. So we have relations direct distribution, terms of sale with When we talk about the Big five right now, in most countries, the best sellers are dominated by anywhere from two to three. In the US is now we call the Big five. It used to be the Big six, but then Penguin and Random House merge, so we have the Big five. So in the US, the Big five dominate maybe sixty of all of the popular trade book sales. And that's you know most of the New York Times bestseller list and the marquee authors you're familiar with. Our relationship with each of them is a direct distribution agreement. In most cases we provide them access to our marketplace. Overdrive has developed and has been operating for twenty five years, the single largest B to B digital book supply chain for retail and institutional buyers. So with a Penguin Random House, a Simon and Schuster, a McMillan, a hartper Collins, for example, we have negotiated or operating under published terms of sale. Most cases it's a distributor discount off of a digitalist price. So we have the ability to sell a unit of a Penguin Random House bestseller, this new John Grisham.
Speaker 2: We know what.
Speaker 3: Their digital list prices is like recommended price to the market. We pay for every unit that is acquired by a buyer based on the gross margin or the distributor discount. So just to make life easy and our and our distributor discounts vary and there's a healthy negotiation going on. Frequently they're trying to claw back a few points gross margin. We're trying to get them back, so we take a percentage of the sale of the goods and pay back the publisher. I will say this, Overdrive has a very large digital book institutional business to library schools and universities. We send to the big five publishers hundreds of millions of dollars annually, and the majority of the money that library schools and government agencies pay for the rights for you to borrow as a student, as a taxpayer, as a library patron, the majority goes to the publisher, and then the publisher has their deals with the agents and authors, so every time someone buys a book and is being used at a public library, the majority of the revenue paid by the library goes to the publisher.
Speaker 2: And authors earn on every.
Speaker 3: Book we sell, and sometimes authors aren't familiar. All they see is oh, I can get a book for free from the library, and the authors sometimes is not informed, and this is because publisher on their royalty reports to their authors are not delineating occasionally how many units and how much revenue that author earned from the public library channel, from the schools or from the university markets that.
Speaker 2: We sell to.
Speaker 3: So there's a lot of misinformation on the creator community. When they just see, Oh you mean someone's getting my book for free? Well, how do I get paid? I can tell you every author earns significant share of the revenue. Librari's pay and the majority of the revenue goes to the supplier, my aggregator, my publisher, or my audio partner.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you have a deal. Let's say with Penguin Random House on their books to traditional retail and physical every book might have a different retail price and wholesale price. A is it the same with you b as a result of an anti trust lawsuit? When Apple and Amazon sell their books, it's an agency thing such a it's a percentage in your particular case, is you're buying the book akin to that or is it a kin to a retailer? This is the price minus whatever discounts you might have. That as a price you're paid.
Speaker 3: As you're familiar with as a result of the antitrust action the Big five or six at the time, it was found that they created this agency model to facilitate go you know, I want to discuss legal justification for that. But to answer your question, it's more like a straight distribution business and we actually have the ability to set the price we charge the market for the vast majority of the inventory coming into the Overdrive marketplace. We operate marketplace. It's only a B to B shopping. So your listeners, unless say are a buyer at a nonprofit institution, library, university, government agency, they can't go in and look at my catalog. But for the ninety thousand institutional buyers that have access to go into my warehouse to see what books are available, they see majority of it are the digitalist price that was established by our supplier. We just benefit from them setting the price putting it in, and we operate off of our gross margin discount from what you know, the difference from what I sell the book to what I have to pay the publisher for the unit. So for if I have to pay the publisher fifteen dollars and I sell the book for twenty five, you know, then I'm earning the ten dollars gross margin. So I earn forty points and the publisher got sixty. I mean, if my math is right, So that's that is the model. We get a digital list price, we sell it at the digital list price. We pay the supplier minus our distributor discount. Now, in some cases Overdrive might discount the price and I might get, you know, eat into my gross margin. In some cases, we might have the publisher say, we want to up unit sales, we want to sell it to more doors. Let's let's create a sale like back to school. Like back to school is a very big campaign we're in the middle of now, Bob. And it's not just for schools. It's for public libraries, for universities. It's even for corporations that are helping professional development or remote or continuing education or professional development. So we may have publishers say, hey, for the month of August September, we're going to reduce the price of all of our books.
Speaker 2: Our gross margin stays the.
Speaker 3: Same, but then we increase unit sales, maybe capture a little higher bump year over year for back to school period, but we're still operating off the same gross margin. So the gross margin that we negotiate with our suppliers is basically how Overdrive earns its.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: Okay, as a practical matter, I realize nothing is identical, But if a library is buying a book, or when you're buying the book, is it essentially the same price as an end user might see on Apple or Amazon.
Speaker 2: It may be.
Speaker 3: Unfortunately for the most popular in demand bestsellers, the supply chain and the publishers and the authors and the agents have increased the price to library lending to often make it a multiple of the price sets the prevailing retail price at Amazon, Barnes and Noble or Apple or Audible. And they've justified that because they are correct in saying that when we sell a license for a library to lend this book out, we know that it will be used by multiple users over the course of a calendar year. And they also know that during the period of the digital access for that book, they're unlikely going to be buying a replacement copy. So when a library bought a physical book or a stack of audiobooks, and audiobooks really is the reason why overdrive success in the early two thousands rolled across the country. We were solving a big paint point for libraries. If your listeners are still going into public libraries, maybe for themselves or parents or grandparents and getting mom or dad an audiobook and they get a hearts clamshell plastic case like you used to get a Blockbusters and it's filled with a sleeve of twelve CDs. That's how people were using audiobooks before we invented download audiobook at the library. But guess what, after about three or six months, the library had to buy replacement units. When we were first selling our digital book value proposition to libraries, and you bought an ebook or an audiobook, I said, you know what, you buy this unit never lost, never late, never damaged, lever scratched. So publishers said, an author said, at least when the library or the school bought my book every year or every few months, I might be selling additional replacement units. At least when they were buying my digital books. The book couldn't be anywhere in an instant so there were limitations on the number of actual readers that could benefit from that print copy or that box of CDs. So the publishers of the big best sellers and their agents and authors started to demand that they would only sell into schools and institutions that had permissions to possibly let fifty people use it in a year or more. They wanted a higher price per unit. So today the reality is that for many of the best sellers that when the first book comes out, and the book industry also kind of like the video industry. You know, it first used to be theatrical first, and then it went into pay per view, and then it got into you know, the streaming, and then eventually it went into the home channels and CD and DVD markets. So the publishing industry still still has a premium on when the new book comes out and it's called a frontless title. When the frontless New York Times bestseller drops, they really want to maximize the impact at retail first format hardcover sales. They're trying to keep the velocity and the buzz up. And then as a book after twelve months or twenty four months, starts to become a book that they would call it's now moving into the publisher's mid list and eventually backlist for the author and publisher, we'll often see the prices to the library decline. So we have a complex because we've been doing digital library and we've created the dynamics of now I think we have over thirty thousand individual suppliers to our digital distribution platform globally. We've allowed the suppliers, the aggregators, the JK. Rowlings and Potter Mores when they say here's how we're willing to make Harry Potter available in forty languages worldwide. We want this price, we want this model. We have to listen to them and see how we can accommodate. So Overdrive another reason why we are the dominant supplier because we've invented and developed most of the platforms that all our competitors have emulated or copied over the years worldwide. Our capability of meeting the rights holders requirements is unparalleled.
Speaker 2: We support more one off.
Speaker 3: Unfortunate because content is king, and for the first five years when I launched popular ebook lending, all I heard was Harry Potter, Harry Potter, Harry Potter, and still today Harry Potter went through seven as we call it, starting with Sorcerer's Stone, is still today one of the most used digital books worldwide in all languages and all channels.
Speaker 2: So, being content as king, we.
Speaker 3: Have developed and we support to the suppliers, and we are evangelizing for authors and publishers. If you follow Overdrives guidance, we can tell you how you can grow market share, increase brand awareness, and when libraries are interested in then ian audiobook and put it in their catalog for discovery. Overdrive will help you, your author and your publisher. We will discover your book and sell more print. We'll sell more print to the library, will create more demand for your book at Apple and Kindall and Barnes and Noble and elsewhere. We have been proven to be such a valuable discovery and sales partner to the author in the publisher community that I'm proud to say almost all of the Big five now have also given overdrive permissions for other models besides the one user at a time.
Speaker 2: And that's something I want to share with you and your listeners.
Speaker 1: OK, a couple of things. Just do some cleanup work. What about the concept of expiration you have. I'm buying the book, but after it's read two hundred times or it's read for twelve months, it expires. What's going on there?
Speaker 2: In a good swath of our catalog.
Speaker 3: We have enabled the publishers that require a overdrive, invented this term metered access. What happened was when we were negotiating twenty five years ago and ongoing even today overseas and globally, when I get a reluctant author or publisher says, well, I'll only go in the library, but I don't want them to buy the book and have one a digital file and then that's it forever. So they invented the way that they said, I'm willing to sell to the institution, but I want them to every two years have to renew their license. So we created a system of metered access levers. The first metered access level was introduced about fifteen years ago by HarperCollins. They said, especially think about nonfiction. Think about reference. If you are a library and you're buying a reference book, an evergreen title, a dictionary, a reference book that people use to look up. It's not for pleasure reading, it's not a beach read, it's for looking up in research. Do they want to sell that book and maybe it doesn't get updated but once every ten years? Do they want to sell that book once and then that's it. The library buy five copies, will never sell another copy of that dictionary until there's a massive update. So publishers fifteen years ago said, we want to find a way that if we do sell it, it's not perpetual. So HarperCollins fifteen years ago introduced the first of these levers. They introduce, when the library buys my new popular HarperCollins ebook. We want the library to lend it out twenty six times. After twenty six times, they want them to buy a replenish unit. So that was introduced. Within a year or two, we had one of the other Big five who said, we are willing to give you books popular bestsellers, and they introduce a meter of We're willing to sell you the ebook for library lending. One user at a time. They buy five copies, five people in the wait list. You wait your turn. But for each unit, we want each unit from the data goes live, we want the library title of that unit to expire in two years. So that's meter to Access twenty four months. During COVID, we then had libraries at urgencies and wanted to fill holds. Penguin Random House said, to be even more flexible. How about we now let libraries buy the same unit that PRH made Meter to Access twenty four months. Now you can buy the same best seller metered access twelve months at fifty percent the price. So overdrive has supported and today in our catalog, unfortunately, we support and when we go internationally, we saw that in Germany the publishers were licensing books to libraries for forty eight months or fifty serfs, whichever came first. So Overdrive had to develop the capability so we could support the Berlin Public Library, Hamburg or you know, Munich. So unfortunately, when I said, the business has got it complex based on the marketplace and they restrictions or the permissions that were set by the rights holders. This is why it's becoming more complicated and challenging in the for the buyer, and Overdrive has been evangelizing, simplifying and providing the tools.
Speaker 1: Okay says there's a tension always in commerce between the seller and the buyer. So you're talking about the seller having multiples of traditional list price, you're talking about controls. Now when you deal with an Amazon, which of course is extremely powerful, they will push back into that. They'll say, well, you know, our business model doesn't work, our customers don't want it, our libraries pushing You read in the Wall Street Journal about this all the time, Okay, especially expiration whatever. Is this just something that people have to accept or is there a pushback? And to what degree is Overdrive itself saying hey, you know you're killing the business by doing this.
Speaker 2: You know, Bob, thank you.
Speaker 3: I've been an evangelist for enlightening the rights, whul on the un realized, the underrealized value and appreciation for what our nation's librarians do. And I'll just talk about the US. It's it's kind of a global phenomenon in many markets. And when we introduce this, and I've had to give testimony in Parliament, I've given testimony and many I've been in Congress. I've been in the US and globally. There is an anti library e lending bias that has permeated this market, and there are bias and stereotypes against e lending, and as a result, the libraries have been forced to evaluate if they want to be relevant with the migration to an online, mobile, digital world with a mobile and everyone's smartphone and listening in your car and you know, Bluetooth and every device in your house. The libraries have had to swallow hard. The prices in many cases are onerous, the restrictions are challenging. It puts tremendous stress on the institutions. And the real trauma now is not even what this environment. Yeah, this is the overhead for a market that's been going through the pains of transitioning from analog to digital as many industries have growing pains and accommodations and so many of the things that are being done now, and there's all you know. So the pressures that the libraries are put under has been daunting. But I could say this overdrive has been consistently delivering over twenty five years incremental progress because we have a north start. We are a mission based company. In twenty seventeen we became a certified B corporation. If we are going to capture significant tens of millions of dollars in every state from their public funds to educate, entertain, comfort and support the communities from cradle to grave, we have to be advocates for those institutional buyers. And I can tell you we have pushed and we have been successful in getting fair, flexible and more reasonable accommodation and movement from the Big five than any other force in the market. And we are constantly getting wins for the buyers. But there's still a lot more work to do. I don't want to name names, but we have some very big, prominent publishers that if you just looked at their terms, you would think that they really do not want any libraries to buy their books because they've made it so onerous and so difficult, and as a result, librarians have say I'll only buy the book if I have to so that author and that publisher unless they have a must have book it's now you know, made it to a motion picture, the author's coming to town. They will buy that author's book as few as they have to, only because they want to be relevant and they don't want patrons saying, what's the matter with you?
Speaker 2: This is the biggest book. How come you don't have it in libby?
Speaker 3: Because everybody expects the public library to have every book available for them, all books at all time, because it's digital, and unfortunately the libraries are dealt this dynamic situation. But I can tell you Overdrive has stood on the side of librarians and we are delivering every month wins. For example, the last two years we have evangelized big collections value propositions to libraries. One is called all access. When we saw during COVID the dynamic spike in demand when all the physical libraries close and every student in America became a remote and distant learner, and the cries came out from the librarians and the cities and the superintendents of the big school districts, including LAUSD and New York Public schools. They said, we're not going to be here for two years and our kids don't have a book. So we had to go to the publishers and say we need to create instant availability.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: We started to negotiate and got permissions for what we call all access collections. Libraries now through Overdrive can select from dozens of bundles where they buy an annual plan and in some cases two thousand books always available, no weightless, simultaneous access. If you need to make a reading list for your kids for summer reading, use these books. They will never be a wait list. You promote them on your homepage, you make reading challenges and bringing the authors. You want to have fifty thousand people read the same book at the same time.
Speaker 2: Done.
Speaker 3: So, we have evangelized that we have launched all access collections. We launch a very popular all access romance and let's face it, romance, adult picture, erotic, romanticy, pretty hot, and I'm talking about great books.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: It may not be the current New York bestseller, that this publisher is giving me unlimited access for the entire state of California for one flat fee. But that is live today all across the country. We have evangelized. I'm a costco shopper. My wife loves BJ wholesale Club. What do we do when you know that as a library you need inventory. You know this is a quality book, it's never going to go out of style. We negotiated with the publishers for a model we call Overdrive Max.
Speaker 2: And it's like costco.
Speaker 3: If you are going to buy something that has long shelf life, you're buying paper, toal and bottled water. Why do you buy in bulk because it never expires and you want to get the lowest cost per unit. Overdrive has rolled out globally a growing catalog of Overdrive Max availability and you can buy this book in bundles of one hundred cirques and it never expires. So I have Monday morning in Long Island, New York and Queens. The buyers for New York Public and Brooklyn Public, they come in at morning. It's called book ops or operation buying for the NYPL and Brooklyn Library. They come in, they say what was added over the weekend in that model. I buy that model first because I can use that available inventory anytime anywhere. If all of a sudden there's a big demand on the best seller, I could buy one hundred units and knock out one hundred holds at once because I got a low.
Speaker 2: Cost of unit.
Speaker 3: I went to Costco, I loaded up, I reduced the waytime and the Holts list. I know that we have this author coming in for an author event. The author's coming for an author event, three hundred people are coming in. Everybody's going to want the book in advance of the author event. So they might say, let's buy five hundred units in Overdrive Max and I have the lowest cost per lend. So Overdrive has provided tools to the library so they could go into our massive catalog of millions of in copyright digital books and in many cases of valuate because schools, libraries, institutions use books for different purposes. So I argue to the author and the publisher, if you give the market multiple ways to buy your product, you'll sell more.
Speaker 2: I have some.
Speaker 3: Buyers in some communities who will only buy by one model, and that's it. If you don't offer your books in that model, you don't exist. They come in, they search what's available. If you're not in that model. You don't get that top of the wall.
Speaker 2: It's spent.
Speaker 3: So I am evangelizing that if you give the market multiple ways, because you buy books for reference, you buy books for a beach read. You buy books when you're going off the grid. Then you want that five hundred page novel. But you're going to the beach for the weekend, you want that weekend read. We want books in because libraries, schools, universities, corporations, knowledge centers. Books are used in so many different ways, and we have engineered multiple solutions and it's evolved over the last you know, three decades.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's talk the history of ebooks from a consumer standpoint. You've been in the business for forty years, but the average person is not. Kindall launches from Amazon. Their business model is we will pay you traditional wholesale on the book, just like a physical book. We will set the price, we will make up the loss. So let's say wholesale was seventeen dollars at the time, everything was nine to ninety nine.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: Of course, as we say, it was the antitrust element. But what I'm focusing on here is publishers and what degree are they hip to what is going on in the online digital world. When they did that, ebook sales went down. They saw that as a triumph. Okay, Jeff Bezos was still at the Amazon at the time, said my goal with the low prices is to grow a business. Steve Jobs at Apple didn't give a shit, he said, you know, books weren't that important to him. But subsequent to that antitrust, you know, all you saw were articles about, well, the independent bookstores coming back. Look how well physical is doing now. Libby is an unbelievable success. But I want to carve out something and I want to leave that aside for a second. Do the publishers still understand that the future is digital or are they still hanging on to the physical model and using digital reluctantly? And to what degree are they sophisticated on this subject.
Speaker 3: Well, it's a great question, Bob, and unfortunately it varies from house to house. And as I think you know, many of the larger trade houses are actually a federation of individual imprints that they've acquired through acquis positions. So the largest is Penguin Random House in the trade book space. I was just over with our publishing partners in Munich at PRH Germany even trying to evangelize the German fifty Penguin Random House German imprints that you've never heard of.
Speaker 2: Maybe you've heard of one or two.
Speaker 3: Every single one of them is run by an individual publisher, and PRH runs a more decentralized.
Speaker 2: Business.
Speaker 3: So you may have parts of the catalog that are progressive and they want to get discovered everywhere worldwide, and they're a little bit more flexible on models and pricing, And then you may have a more traditional, legacy conservative mindset who you know, just has it is holding on to the past. In the international markets, it's dramatically a challenge when I go, let's say, into Japan or into some of the Asian markets, they have such a reluctance to change their business process. And quite frankly, it's happening in the last year or two. There's been a real awakening that the traditional print model is not only declining and at risk, but there was like a major shock wave just recently when the industry decided that they're going to just quit mass paperback publishing. I mean, the biggest impact would be for the thousands of drug stores and small independent retail that when the magazine jobber came in to freshen up the newsstand and the magazines next to the American greeting guy who was freshing up because it's a real estate business. At least they also dropped in the top twenty best selling paperbacks and maybe was an impulse item at the bookstand or at the train station. Mass paperback going away as a format. That's huge, I mean everything they've been trying to protect. They also have had this legacy value proposition that the most important thing that the Big Five now have been, you know, obsessed over for the last decade is the New York Times bestseller list. Let's face it, you know, the Big Five. This book business, the trade book business is so based on the mega, the mega breakout book. You know, a publisher or a retail bookstore chain has a good year or back. A bad year could be based on one author, could be based on one.
Speaker 2: Book, what Sarah J.
Speaker 3: Moss did for Bloomsbury the last year or two, or you know this, you know some of these romanticy breakout stars, the TikTok the book talk things. It's so that has so much has changed in the last even just twenty four months that the appreciation for those that have reached to the audiences. And even over the last just year, I've seen a dramatic investment of publishers and authors where the author is now holding back more approval on the tours, on the branding, and almost every author now is investing. An author is a brand. So for any New York Times bestseller, they're not necessarily sending you to the publisher's website to learn about my tour. They want the direct relationship with the reader. We are working and so many authors are now coming to us directly and the author. The rise of the author is a brand. The rise of the author is even creating new dynamics for how the publisher is catering to keep that best selling author. It used to be just on the size of the advance check and they go to auction and who got the best You know, who negotiated the biggest upfront. Many of these new author deals and agency deals are not only author, show me your reach, show me your platform, Show me what you're going to do to grow the audience for my brand. How are you going to build a sale for my backlist? You know, we've done such The good thing about Libby's success in scale Bob is unlike Amazon and Apple and Google, who have billions of data points, Libby has billions of data points on how a reader was looking for what to read next, where they discovered it, how they came to the library, how they came to a digital edition, where they borrowed the book, how they open. All of this is anonymized and privacy is sacred. But we have the aggregated data endpoint of how a book was borrowed, where was used?
Speaker 2: How? Just imagine this.
Speaker 3: I presented a at a publisher conference in New York earlier this year called the u S Book Show, to an audience of eight hundred New York and US and international publishers, and I asked this question, could you ever imagine a day where your acquisition editor, your author, your publisher knew where in the story you lost the reader?
Speaker 2: Just imagine? Would you?
Speaker 3: Would you In the music space, would you would your would your creator like to know where in the track that they say? No?
Speaker 2: Not for me? Imagine? We showed I did a study.
Speaker 3: I took one author, a very successful author, Janet Ivanovitch. She has this series of Stephanie Plum who's a protagonist in these murder mysteries, and Stephanie started. Janovitz started with One for the Road, and every one of these murder mysteries with Stephanie plum has. I think the most recent one was The Dirty thirty. You know, they all had the number. And she started her career, did the first three books, one of the big five, and her ebooks and audio came up.
Speaker 2: And I actually know on average.
Speaker 3: The completion rate where people when those who fell in love with the Stephanie Plump stories, where seventy five percent read seventy five percent or more. Where did you lose the reader? I know where they lost the reader? What chapter page? I mean the aggregate of hundreds of millions of sessions. She then went to the second publisher, and we noticed over this thirty year history that when this second publisher brought out a dozen books, they didn't read as far into the e they didn't listen as far in the audio that represented her voice. She lost hundreds of millions of minutes of people listening to her story. And the only thing different I could tell was she changed publishers. And you would say no, actually, when they went to number two, it went up. Oh, and so the first publisher said, oh, well, she had a following. By the time they got to book four, people had heard of her. That wasn't it, Because after twelve books she went to publisher three and it dropped down again.
Speaker 2: And then she went to original publisher and it stayed low again.
Speaker 3: What happened at publisher too while she was there with these dozen books Janet Ivanovitch's books, people completed on average almost more than seven eight nine percent of the entire story. I have to say the editor who worked with Janet Ivanovitch during those years knew how to get that story to the listener in a way that engaged the reader and kept them in trance with the story longer. I just have I can't say why the readers left or stuck around, but I just have the d they did. These are the kind of untold insights we now have with publishers and authors, and we are willing protecting privacy, anonymize aggregated data and with the permission of libraries and our suppliers. Are these are the data points that are going to change how we build audience for our suppliers and their authors.
Speaker 1: Okay, I have to ask because of the incredible volume of books read on Libby. Why is there not a Libby chart which would ultimately even eclipse the New York Times chart.
Speaker 3: Well, we do share, and I think People Magazine in the Spring usually has an exclusive with Overdrive. We have given USA Today, and we do have a feed on the most read books, and we do give every institution, and we do operate dashboards reporting this out, so the most popular books open, read and consumed. We published this, and we publish it on format for audience. So I can tell you for adult fiction, for adult nonfiction, for ya young adult, I can tell you by subject, by genre, by sub subgenre, so you know, when you know Amish romance was a hot thing and everyone got into Amish romance, we could tell you in Amish romance whether it was Kensington or Harlequin.
Speaker 1: Who is there, Thomas, Well, let me give you an example from the music business. Traditionally it's been the Billboard chart. Different people provided that data. That is manipulated data. What I mean, it is not pure numbers. They adjust and they wait. So despite my publicity, everybody in the music business now relies on the Spotify Top fifty. All the numbers are available to everybody. Wouldn't this be a benefit to everybody to essentially have a Libby chart.
Speaker 3: Yes, and we do provide this information. It's just that we're trying to find a partner that wants to platform it for more ubiquitous discovery. So first of the year, we publish, at the end of the year our stats this year, and by the way, on a typical week we have through We also the ways people come to discover a book and benefit from a piece of content in Libby could start in ten thousand starting points. You could be at your local library, in the library searching on the public catalog where you could see a QR code at the end of a shelf, saying did you know this book's available in Libby?
Speaker 2: And you know?
Speaker 3: So people come into Libby. We have about five hundred third parties who take overdrive catalog feeds in a dynamic APIs, So you could start anywhere in the planet, find a book, wind up at the library, get to Libby, borrow the book, open a.
Speaker 1: Little bit slower, you say, just like the Amazon partner program that you're saying, certain enterprises, if people access there and go to Libby, you pay them.
Speaker 2: We don't pay them.
Speaker 3: But I'm just saying the way we report on top circulating books, we have more data and we slice it and dice it for the benefit of First of all, informing our partners are supply chain stakeholders, publishers, as we let them know how they're performing, how they're trending. So if you let's say you're a publisher or travel books, let's say ebooks, and you want to get market share, you're a lonely planning You're competing against Rick Steves and you know five other travel book you know voters, and you know all the others. You want to know how am I performing in my category? How's my market share? Am I trending up or down? Are they buying my Europe or they only just buying my Disney Disney World twenty twenty six. So you are trying to improve sell through and market analytics, we can provide you down to almost the zip code, just like the Bouchers or the Neils sins would tell you how you're performing at retail or some of the other data services overdrive. First of all, we provide the publishers so the supply chain sees real time which institutions bought their book, and they have a clue on how many units, what was paid, and how they're performing. With so much of this data, we do have the ability to put out the Libby fifty or the Libby hundred.
Speaker 2: But we could do it, and we do it for schools.
Speaker 3: We do it in the classroom, We do it for every grade, we do it for every community. I can tell you in the Pacific Northwest what's trending and how it's doing down in Louisiana and the parishes. We have more data than most.
Speaker 1: You talked about writers becoming brands analogizing to Spotify. Once again, Spotify has Spotify for artists, so not only the company, which in this case could be a record company in your situation, a publisher that the artist himself can see where his music is being played and therefore direct marketing activities to that location, assuming they want to. Is there anything equivalent in the Overdrive atmosphere.
Speaker 2: Absolutely sure, well obviously we have.
Speaker 3: You know, it was kind of funny in the early days when we were introducing public Library. I had an author who reached out to me and just was praising me in Overdrive, and I couldn't figure out why this discreet author was praising me and how we sold thousands of units of this really small, unknown nonfiction book. And then this was early in our library lending experience. The title of his book was something like A thousand and one and I forget what the rest of the book was. And so, you know, in the early days when libraries were buying books and they put up a list of books you could borrow, they just alpha sorted it. And so people came into a library and they say, well, I want to try this, and the first thing that came up was one thousand and one you know whatever. It was one thousand and one Ways to Tie your Shoe and I, you're on, how are we selling all this? And I said, everybody's just trying the new system. So he was Alpha blessed. They all bought it. People said I want to try it. Let me try this thing I heard about, and so they downloaded this book. And so so the bottom line is it has evolved and merchandised every single library today. When you go into an LA County Library or LA Public Library to two separate systems. And here's a little Libby hack for your listeners. Libby supports your ability to get multiple library cards. So if you have a card from the County of Los Angeles and you have a library card from lapl the City Library downtown, when you're in Libby searching or looking for something to read, you will get the benefit of both collections. And they both have different collections. They may have many of the same but one may have a shorter wait list for that new bestseller. So with Libby, you can have multiple library cards and work Beverly Hills or in Huntington Longbridge, Orange County. We're in every library in California, so when your listeners have at least two or three library cards, this also and so for us to say what's the best circuing book in Southern cal we could look at every library in southern cal and we can say for this region, this is trending. These are the best by audience, by category, by genre. So it's we have board data and we are offering it up. As I said, just protecting privacy and permissions.
Speaker 1: Okay, I want to pull the lens all the way back. Such an overdrive is not dominant. Just in the landscape. I want to talk about digital books and digital reading. There are many people, especially older people, who have fetishized the physical book. They will go.
Speaker 2: On and on.
Speaker 1: I like having something in my hands, I get a headache when I read digitally, etcetera, etcetera, etcetera. And they will trumpet, you know, any success in the independent world, the new guy who runs Barnes and Noble, who has you know, different inventory and different stories. Having said that too, elements people of that age remember going to school, you went to high school, you went to college. There were a million physical books and to transport them around that was a big schlip. So putting out some of the issues. You and me both know that going to educational institutions in the future it will all be digital for numerous reasons, portability and the issue of being able to replace for changes instantaneously. My question is to what degree is that happening? And I'll use this is not a perfect example, but I'll use the classic example of Kodak Digital's coming, I mean, Digital's coming never came. Then in one year digital wiped out Kodak. So what is the future of digital reading? Vis a vi physical?
Speaker 3: The print book will never go away. And for good reason, and just to be clear, we are a mission company with a vision of a world enlightened by reading and access to information, education and opportunity, and print books are still essential and print books have created so many advances that we are benefiting from. I'll give you one example. We are working with a company in the UK called Ulpuscroft and the gentleman who is the founder of the foundation there, he invented what's now a beloved product by seniors. It's called large print. Before this, gentleman said, why don't we make a book where the type size is accessible to those that are aging or have failing vision or macula degeneration or high corrective lenses, so the print book will always be around. The print book is one of the most beloved gifts. Giving a digital book.
Speaker 1: Wait wait, wait, wait wait, I gotta blow the whistle on this because I see you being very political, so I gotta play devil's advocate, which is really the truth. Everyone who uses a digital reading device knows that you can adjust the type size, which is extremely advantageous for elder readers. B CDs music physical music was an incredible gift that is not a gift anymore. Yes, there are stores selling vinyl. It's a deminimous business. Okay, it gets a lot of press. If you look at it, I don't want to want to throw the it's really a z it on the ass of consumption. So yes, a coffee table book, etc. Those will exist, just like people have vinyl collections. Okay, but in reality, isn't it going to be the extreme outlier and everybody's really going to be reading digitally?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 3: As you astutey said, education, it's a foregone future. We saw it start in higher ed. It actually started in the professional space when I got started, when I got started thinking about a future where one day, when this blinking box showed up on my kitchen table forty years ago, said one day on the screen, I should have access to every print book in the world. And I was a little too early, and we finally got there.
Speaker 2: But at.
Speaker 3: To be I am being politically diplomatic because we love the print book and we're not competing against it. But you are correct, depending on how far you set your future, crystal Ball, in a thousand years, will print book be in museums and archives. That's going to be probably where some of these relics live, like we relish, you know, the Gutenberg Bibles and the relics of prior decades and civilizations. I do believe in the digital future, and every book being printed today does have a digital simultaneous except for some you know international and you know small foreign markets. The future is purely digital. But we have a bigger problem, and that is long form reading and book consumption is on the decline. And this is also coming into headlines more mainstream recently, and it hasn't been new. The decline of reading by adult reading of long form print books has been on the decline since the invention of television. If you look at the pie chart of all of our disposable time for entertainment or consumer activities, that slice that used to be long form adult book reading by every demographic age, gender, race has been shrinking.
Speaker 2: When the Internet came up. It shrunk again when online social media, when online gambling, every time gaming gaming set tops, every time something new comes on you can do on a device with a screen or with a speaker. Long form digital books podcasts now, but podcasts actually helped create set the stage for growing the audiobook business. But the book print industry has many factors that are causing stress. The decline of their product is a consumer product in the market and it's not just domestic. The decline of book reading in the UK. In Germany is actually a little faster than we're experiencing in the US well, because we came from two communities that had more literate baseline, so you know, they live longer. In Germany, every community has multiple independent retail bookstores in every neighborhood. It's a book culture.
Speaker 3: But the decline of book consumption, the number of buyers globally for print books is on the decline. So digital is an answer. Audiobooks is a dramatic bright spot for this industry, and we are constantly innovating how do we grow the market for this consumer product called a book or long form reading. And I'm excited to say we're having great success working with our educational and library institutions and finally for the most astute publishers being better and more appreciated for how we are trying to reverse this decline in demand for the product. Now, music, the market grows every day. Everybody wants music, and music is not going away. But long form reading of books that's under attack and that has been on the decline, and there's no answer for it right now.
Speaker 1: Okay, point of information in colleges universities. What percentage of books are digital as opposed to physical today.
Speaker 3: Well, the college textbook curriculum market has gone nearly one hundred percent digital as a result of the publishers themselves creating the digital learning platform, so they could not only sell the tech book, but then sell these Many of your listeners may remember, like in the nineties and two thousands, when they were in college and they got their textbook, there was a CD rom in the back and that contained the supplemental materials. So if you're Pierson or Gale Ahote Mifflin or McGraw hill Wiley trying to sell your textbook for the state of Texas or Illinois for history one oh one, and you get a big adoption, that's a big deal. Your textbook gets adopted for a three or five year cycle. That could be seven figures for that book and that imprint. So to do that, publishers had to compete and add special value add Before the Internet, they used to offer teachers editions and quizes and supplements. Then it went to the CD in the back of the textbook. Now, for the last fifteen twenty years, publishers have gone direct and created ancillary supplemental value add So right now every piece of coursewear or curriculum may be offered directly from the publisher, is part of a learning system or also you've seen the rise Amazon, Barnes and Noble Education follow it, check vital Source. Many other platforms have aggregated all the digital college textbooks and either offer pay as you go or a subscription. So that market is pretty far along on the digital transformation. If I go to K twelve, now we're at the infancy last year twenty twenty four. If I look at the spend, and it's a big number. For the one hundred and fifteen thousand K twelve schools in the US alone, the spend on coursewear, textbook, curriculum, school library, special ad, summer reading, intervention, English language learning is a second language for immigrants. It's in the billions. And yet if we look at where are they in the transformation from analog, physical to digital ebooks has not really entered the elementary school, the middle school, or the high school at any scale yet, except that Overdrive has been evangelizing and growing that market.
Speaker 2: Today.
Speaker 3: I'm proud to say we are in sixty thousand schools, but still the use of an ebook or a digital audiobook in the classroom in K twelve is still a.
Speaker 2: Single digit low.
Speaker 3: And this is one of the biggest growth opportunities of the next five years for every author and creator. If you have a book, fiction or nonfiction that is appropriate for a school for education, school library, some are reading entertainment, learning English to whatever. The next five years, you should be thinking purely, how do I get in on this. It's about to happen and our team at overdrive and Libby is even driving parents to discover that they're kids. For all those that have children in the schools, we have a Libby for students app called Sora.
Speaker 2: It's called Sra. The app is.
Speaker 3: Free, but for your student to benefit from it, you have you know, just like you can't walk into a school and go into the library. They're pretty locked down, not like the public library. Everyone's welcome. Sora is available to sixty thousand schools in the US and we have millions of students. Our biggest success we just hit a milestone with New York City Public Schools.
Speaker 2: New York City Public Schools and.
Speaker 3: The leadership of Fabulous Library and Melissa Jacobs, who runs the New York City Public School libraries. She has delivered just in the last two places. Students in those classrooms have opened and benefited from ten million ebooks through the New York City Public School SORA collection is called Citywide Digital Library. You could be in any of the five boroughs, you have a student in any of their charter schools, STEM, academies, whatever, ps, whatever, one oh one, you have SORA and you have the ability for your student to benefit twenty four to seven just like Libby, except SORA is built in student learning, gamification, reading, daily reading challenges and the like. So our engagement for growing the audience and the transition to digital is accelerating. We're seeing in corporate America a broad adoption for employees to have benefit for professional development wellness. HR departments are adding digital lie libraries. Our first digital library was Microsoft Corporation twenty years ago.
Speaker 2: Back in the day.
Speaker 3: Mike Bushman was a corporate librarian and building one hundred in the campus in Redmond.
Speaker 2: And this was while Bomber was running it.
Speaker 3: And I've had relations and we dealt with Bill and Melinda in the day, and he said, I am buying millions of dollars of programming and coding books every year, and I have to buy hundreds of units and drop them into hundreds of locations around Redmond and Seattle and San Francisco. I don't want to do that. So they created the first corporate digital library with Overdrive and all of the books on cybersecurity or programming in JavaScript or AI, this or that or whatever. They then started making a digital library for their workforce globally. Anytime anywhere you need a book and how to program this thing, you got it. Corporate Knowledge centers. During COVID, they provided all of this comfort and wellness and you know, am I okay and all of that you know, access during these you know, troubling and uncertain times. So the momentum we're seeing in corporate libraries. You know, our largest corporate partner is a US Department of Defense. About fifteen twenty years ago, every branch of the military said we want to serve our community worldwide. So Navy Knowledge Online Services one point seven million readers. It's not only the active military and the officers, and it's a it's a students at the War College. You could be on assignment in a nuclear submarine and you your commandant says, we want you to read Jefferson's War. Listen to the audiobook in your bunk. They are getting this from the US Department of Defense through a platform, and they're opening it with Libby. So we are building and growing an evangelize seeing books and reading and education and comfort and entertainment globally and overdrives. Footprint is fortunately expanding and helping publishers and authors offset some of these other challenges they're seeing in retail.
Speaker 2: Or some of the legacy print businesses.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about the elephant in the room, which is funding. These are public institutions, these libraries who presently have an administration who says they don't want to give as much money to the libraries. Tell us about that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a very unfortunate and tragic condition that I don't want to open this stack. But at tax coming to our public education and schools and libraries was a political playbook executed in the last election cycle, and it created false narratives that these institutions are being utilized for political or cultural agendas. That was nonsense, and we've been dealing with for about four years now. Libraries and librarians and educators and public schools and school librarians being villainized and coming under attack for a false narrative for a political gain. Unfortunately, this has created a toxic environment in many communities and has created local pushback and has challenged so many of the underlying principles that have made every community better because a public librarian educated their children, helped those seeking a job from divided, a public internet terminal for those that had no broadband in their home, and that continued when the recent election cycle put a party into the White House, and they came after this April and took the funding from the Institute, from Museum and Library services, and that playbook now is being replicated in several state capitals.
Speaker 2: It's tragic. Instead of investing in.
Speaker 3: Bringing America back and educating our next generation workforce on the skills and making them competitive, instead of making sure every person, regardless of their background, could compete with proficiency and talent in language in English speaking, they are defunding the safety net community organizations that are essential and overdrive. And I've been on the record what has happened is unfortunate and tragic, and in many communities, the most impacted will be the small and rural librarians who because a few dollars that trickled down from Washington to their state library, it got distributed like here in Ohio to our eighty eight counties. That is essential service money. That money in some rural and farm communities allowed the librarian to go in and open the door or pay for the broadband that the community needed to come in and sit in the parking lot so they could check their email or see if their job and they could find a job. Just like it's just a tragic situation unfolding. I'm proud to say that in many of the larger metro areas, because they've built multiple sources of funding, that some of these cuts may not impact the material budgets, the money that they use to buy content, books and subscriptions. But it's a real concern, and the greater concerns are in the small and rural communities that will be impacted even more so. You know, we have stories every day where the impact of the presidential executive orders or some of the state capitals who have taken and said in the protection of minors, this false narrative that we need to protect our children and implemented some of these playbooks. Most of the voters who put those elected officials and offers are going to be the ones that suffer the most. That's a reality, and it's happening every day. It's not something that's coming. It happens every day. Now the money's been cut, they're fighting, flying back bits and pieces or trying to find alternate sources of funding, and Overdrive as a partner in that effort.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's switch gears completely to Canopy. Explain how Canopy works. Public is very familiar with streaming and they're very familiar with their rights involved and a lot of money. So how does Canopy work.
Speaker 3: Canopy is an amazing value add for everyone who has an interest in film, and the value add of Canopy is I think based on threefold and the reason Overdrive acquired the business it was the best we to've ever seen. Overdrive built a digital video streaming platform for schools and libraries and we launched it and about a decade plus ago, a startup in West in Australia by an amazing entrepreneur by the name of Olivia Humphrey from Perth. She saw a problem in some of the universities in Western Australia, the universities who were teaching film and or were signing documentaries and film in the classroom could not supply the teachers the classroom or the students with access to the videos or the films. And so she negotiated, like with the film studios, could I get permission to create a platform for academic libraries to license a digital video and stream it for these educational purposes. So Canopy was born in Australia, it launched, and today still Canopy is worldwide in more university libraries and public libraries. After several years of success in the university library, Olivia with her young family moved to San Francisco and said, let's get into the big markets the US North America. And then she started to sell the universities in North America. But she said, well, since I'm in libraries, and since we do have films of interest for public libraries, documentary, foreign films, some you know, film noir and boutique, and lots of unbelievable art films. The curation of the Canopy collection is so eclectic that people love Canopy because of the curation. What is in those catalogs and what have been selected from these out of the way book festivals, and we have a team is just outstanding. Now today, Canopy has evolved because when she introduced it to public library she did not have the appreciation for how public libraries worked and how they could their sources of funding, and how it might use in a consumer space. So when she came to the US and I saw the excellence of their product, of their user experience, I approached Olivia and I said, look, you have done what I've dreamed of doing. You have an unbelievable catalog, you have a great platform and user experience. And they also integrated with all the set top players, so you can get Canopy on Roku, Apple TV, or Samsung or any of your smart TVs. In addition, Canopy ka n o, py dot com. You can run at anything with the browser. And of course I natively run the Canopy app on iOS or on my Android smartphone. So they had they had the best platform, they had the best catalog, they had the best user experience. I said, Olivia, I either want to partner with you, buy you, or I'm going to be competing with you. And it took a twist in turn, she went to a private equity and eventually we acquired it about four or five years ago. And so today Canopy is the most valuable streaming product. We just got from Yahoo and many other media the five streaming best platforms. Regardless of price. Canopy. You'll never get asked for a credit card, you'll never see an ad and it is purely delight So Canopy has one of the largest film libraries and over the last several years now that Overdrive with our reach, we've scaled it up into public libraries. We've changed the user experience to make it simple for public libraries and patrons. So today the public library can add Canopy. Like I'll be in San Francisco seeing our partners as San Francisco Public Library. It's available at Los Angeles Public Lives Library and they subscribe to Canopy. And Canopy has a core collection that is adding thousands of films every year. Because some of the rights come in and out, we negotiate with major suppliers. Like one of the biggest deals I ever signed it Overdrive was when we did a five year exclusives with BBC Studios in London. Because we have so many Anglo file you know, they just love everything British and the downtown Abbey crowd and all that. We signed a multi year exclusive for library and institution with BBC and it's been extraordinarily popular. We now are negotiating next to Amazon, Prime, Hulu, Disney, Netflix and the others at all the big studios. So we when we acquired Canopy, they we had a film team and the head of our business units Southern cal We have a team in California because we are working with all the major studios. So whether it's lions Gate or Warner Brothers, we are in the rooms negotiating alongside. When they're carving up the out the geos and they're coming up the territories, and when they're carving up the platforms, we're in there saying we want institution. We want to have day and day or whenever it's available for those markets. We want public library, academic library, and some of the other governmental special institutional markets. And just like we do with the Amazons and the Netflix, we may get it for a particular term when we're dealing with the mgs and you know the restrictions, and of course the whole video community has their own kind of rights management, you know, technical qualifications and we of course abide by all that and for the patron, it's just a win. If you are subscribing to the half a dozen to dozen monthly subscriptions that you use on and off, or maybe less or more. In the peacocks and this plus and that plus, you may discover that about a high percentage of the movies the documentaries.
Speaker 2: We have an amazing kids collection.
Speaker 3: It's called Canopy Kids, and it's unlimited and you could put Canopy Kids, set it on your tablet, give it to your young child and they can just go unlimited use. And then of course we have feature films award winners, and now Canopy is giving us a platform to do originals and exclusives. The very exciting time that we're in the streaming video business and we are negotiating alongside the other big platforms. We're just saying we want it for this market. I have complaints. Now in Singapore, we have such a fantastic success. The entire country of Singapore just is almost standard on Libby and Sora.
Speaker 2: And they added Canopy.
Speaker 3: But when Singapore National Library wants to buy for every citizen and the five million plus citizens Canopy, they go how come, I don't have these blockbusters. They go, well, I didn't want to write a check for the whole Southeast Asia. I didn't want to put up money. When we negotiate, I said, how much do you want for the US? How much if I throw in Canada? You know it, it is negotiating for territories and rights. So I didn't actually, at the time we were signing up for that big deal, say how much for Singapore. But now I got to go back to all those studios and say, you know, let's face it, Crazy rich As. That's you know, when Crazy rich As came out as a Warder Brother film or you know, and we've been selling the books like crazy you know heaven Chan. Of course they wanted that. But so it's a really exciting time.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, but explain the money to me. I don't quite understand you're bidding on these rights. Where does the money come from? Because it's free to the end users.
Speaker 3: Correct, just like I do to the libraries or the universities or their corporations. I show you my catalog. You want to add canopy, We have multiple ways you can add it. And since we've added, we created these we call plus packs so let's say you're a smaller community, we don't have the budget. But the reality is, you know, just as we talk about the evolution of streaming video and library in this ecosystem, if you asked me five years ago, pre COVID, what was the number one circulating reason a product or the reason people went to their local public life or in the US, it was to borrow a DVD or Blu Ray. I could tell you in many metro markets, just pre COVID, let's say twenty eighteen, twenty nineteen, if you looked at what was the foot traffic to the libraries throughout the United States, one of the top reasons people went was to pick up that DVD or Blu ray they reserved and they got from the library for free to take home for their family.
Speaker 2: Well, let's face.
Speaker 3: It, just like DVD and streaming video, and you know, vinyl is no longer available in big box and major retail, they've just gotten out of it libraries. Since COVID, the size of the retail foot space and public libraries for circulating DVDs and Bluberries has been shrinking and shrinking. For the same reason one foot traffic is down COVID killed it, and now they're fighting to bring back foot traffic, which has been building back. But unfortunately in many markets here, like in Cleveland, Ohio, we're overdrives headquartered, our biggest public libraries still are not at the twenty nineteen levels of visitors in their branches or foot traffic in their central library. So as a result, everything has been moving towards streaming. When the library wants they had canopy, they can either buy the whole collection and set a monthly budget and we can monitor in the usage and kind of throttle it because they're giving you as a user, Bob, if you go to Los Angeles Public Library, LAPL will give you each month maybe thirty tickets, and every time you want to watch a feature film, a documentary or children's childrens.
Speaker 2: Don't cost a ticket.
Speaker 3: You may see a blockbuster feature film and for you to borrow it for the window of seven days watching it might cost you two tickets. Doesn't cost you anything because the library's giving you tickets. But after let's say by the twentieth of the month, you've used up all your tickets, well then you got to wait till the first of the month, and then you could start over unless you had multiple library cards and go somewhere else. But the bottom line is the library will budget so much per year, so much per month. But with small libraries with no experience in the demand for streaming, Overdrive introduced what we call like we did for ebooks. We created all access, a bundle, flat fee unlimited. Overdrive introduced Canopy plus packs. So if you don't know the demand, you don't know what we have plus packs, staff favorites, all time classics. You want books for your kids, you could buy a Canopy plus fix for children, and we have tiered pricing. If you're in a little parish in Louisiana and your total population of five thousand, maybe for under five hundred bucks a year, every kid can stream.
Speaker 2: This all year long, unlimited.
Speaker 3: That same plus pack for Los Angeles Public Library might be twenty five hundred a year, and then it's an annual subscription, unlimited viewing. So then we have plus packs for World Seminar, all time classics, film noir. These are constantly building and we are giving actually institutions. So if you're in academic institutions and every year you're teaching multice Falcon and I have it. We might even give you the option to buy that title, have it for ten years, and only pay a small service fee annually. So, just like we did with our market evolving, if you give the institutional buyers multiple ways to buy, you will sell more, you will open new doors, and you will also evolve to see where the market and the demand and the budget will drive your growth. So libraries budget, we give them multiple options to suffice. We have a lot of budget for video. And if you're transitioning. Let's say you're lapl and you budget a million dollars. I'm making this up every year for new Blu rays or DVDs. You've been transitioning, so you're saying, well, we're going to start because the usage of the physical good is declining. As it declines, we're moving that budget and we're transitioning into canopy. So that's been going on for the last few years and it's accelerating.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's pitch back to a Libby. Libby is a menia. Okay, I should have been going to library from the time I can remember, big Reader, but Libby is a thing unto itself. Do you know what percentage of reading is done on Libby as opposed to physical Can you tell me what percentage Overdrive sales are compared to the overall market for books.
Speaker 2: I can give you some some general.
Speaker 3: Sense of scale and proportion because we obviously utilize industry reports. So there are several sources of the global book business in the United State, well, i'll say the United States book business, and one of them is from the AAP, which is the Association of American Publishers. And then there are some data services companies, the book scans that aggregate for the retailers, and they aggregate from the big box. But there's a lot of gaps when publishers sell direct that's under reported. We don't have the you know, all of the detail. Let's face religious Christian Bible sales, not all of that is always reported up. There's so much activity on direct to consumer.
Speaker 2: Do we know?
Speaker 3: Is Amazon sharing KDP numbers and Kindled direct and exclusives? So I could just give a sense. So in last year, Overdrive circulated around six hundred million digital books. This year will be probably around three quarters of a billion, seven hundred and fifty million. Now that's actual delivery and fulfillment of a full book. Now in addition to that, we had billions and billions of reader sessions opening a book, sampling a book. If you've been in the Libby, you know, before you borrow or get in line, you could open and go through ten percent for free.
Speaker 2: Say it's not for me.
Speaker 3: You're looking up a fiction book and you want an audiobook. You may want to say, let me listen. Do I like the narrator's voice. So our impact on how many books are open and listen to is in the hundreds of billions a year. But at the end of the day, I've delivered last year over six hundred million entire books to an end user who was authenticated, had a library card and got a book that I had permission, and we paid the publisher, the author got paid. Everyone wins. And in many cases I have authors and publishers thanking me because I discovered on a Libby I bought my print sales went up. I was just last week I was meeting with my partner in Fort Myers Lee County Library System, Southwest Florida by Naples and the and the librarian said, we used the demanded Libby to buy print.
Speaker 2: I go, I don't get I don't get any.
Speaker 3: Reward for that when the when the publishers are arguing and taking margin away. My discovery of your book in sampling is selling you books at retail, selling your print to other institutions. And we are fortunate that every day I'm getting the data showing that our impact on the growth of the audience for your product. Publisher, you should be paying us just for the placement in that Libby position, because we are getting hundreds of millions of impressions that lead to retail sales. But can I connect all those dots now?
Speaker 2: Wait?
Speaker 1: Wait, wait, when you say six hundred million, does that mean Overdrive bought six hundred million books or does that mean six hundred million people read Overdrive books?
Speaker 3: It means during calendar year twenty twenty four, I delivered to an authenticated end user, six six hundred million books were delivered. Maybe it's to three hundred million readers. Maybe it's you know, three hundred million people. Over the year. They averaged two each, one at one, one at fifty. I don't know, So it's all anonymoused because we respect privacy in that case, Let's take Los Angeles Public Library. Los Angeles Public Library last year was our top public library circing Libby books and they circulate on average over one million books a month now. Also, Los Angeles Public Library spends with overdrive to acquire multiple copies, licenses, new materials, bumps up the ability to service. Under these other models. They spend annually approximately almost ten million a year to keep their Libby catalog fresh, complete and current. So the library is spending one library in California and it's number one in circulation under the leadership of John Zabo and amazing library leaders at LA Public Libraries plus to have they are a rock star globally. I have people all over the world that look at how New York Public or LA Public or Toronto Public, or I'll be up in Seattle with our partners at King County. These are libraries are innovators. Libraries have been evangelizing books and creating the market for reading and pushing people into lifelong reading since there was a library in Alexandria three thousand years ago. We know that this is a growth market and I'm proud to say that when I'm in New York or London talking to the Big five or whoever. Overdrive as far as a source of revenue for the trade publishers is always in the top five. Who's number one, who generates revenue for them? It's Amazon, Amazon's number one worldwide pretty much number two and three. Depending on what segment, what audience, what geo, it might fluctuate between an Apple of Barnes and Noble or audiobooks, maybe Spotify and you know, Nordic Countries is your rock star. Now couple of courses in the mix and b you know the others. But overdrive as unit and revenue sales to the publishers. In some cases we may be number three. We are delivering hundreds of millions of dollars annually to the creed or community, and the publishers and the authors are getting, on average, possibly even more for the privilege of someone benefiting from a book from that school or library than they're getting from buying it at retail. And let's face it, when you we have no secondary market. When they sell to the library, they're not competing against used book sales or eBay or you know other other forms where you know, libraries are not benefiting and some of them are arguing they should from the first sale doctrine. You know, you bob or I Bob I buy a book and I want to gift it to my daughter, I want to give it to the library.
Speaker 2: I'm free to do that.
Speaker 3: Library school buys a digital edition for lending under the permissions that are granted to me as their distributor and vendor and partner. The library can't say, you know, this book is not so popular, we now want to give it away.
Speaker 2: I mean I can't. They can't.
Speaker 3: So the value proposition to the author and the publisher is extraordinary. By the way, when the library spends a million dollars and the publisher gets us, the publisher has so much more net earnings off the sale of the digital book through me. They never get. They don't have to put a reserve on their balance sheet for returns. They don't have to worry about print costs, print overruns, returns, shipping costs, warehouse They don't have.
Speaker 2: Any of that.
Speaker 3: Yet they want to negotiate with me and get the benefit and beat me up on gross margin and clawback and put it make it harder for me to sell. They should be paying me to promote their books in the library. Because of the value of Libby and the discovery and soar in the classroom, we are growing the market for their products. And I'll keep evangelizing because schools and libraries are the best thing for the future of books and reading. And if they don't wake up and get that memo, shame on them. Someone's going to take their business. And it's happening every day.
Speaker 1: Okay, two quick questions. One, if la spend on Libby is a million, what's their spend on Canopy.
Speaker 3: It's a smaller number. And by the way I generalize, those are those exact numbers. I use that as a general number. So they probably spend six figures a year with Canopy. And they may be adding and adjusting because as we keep adding collections or providing different models, because we're also learning film and video or use for different perpose. So if they are using it for complementary to event or programming, they may need to be very concerned about public performance rights. So Canopy in the public library is not quite at the level of revenue that we've what you enjoyed from the book business. Because I've been giving many of the biggest public libraries in North America have been on Overdrive platform and now with Libby for twenty plus years. So we started with Cleveland Public twenty three years ago, so LA Public Library we've probably launched around four h five so twenty years we've only been in the supplying of the Canopy video business. Now, you know, just under five years. And since we acquired Canopy, the models and the collection wasn't as well aligned for the public library space, and we've made some real milestones. This simplifying the tickets was a major way of streamlining because before, when people borrowed movie from Canopy for the tickets, the librarian didn't know how much it was costing them. But now when they see films in the Canopy catalogs and they see that this is two tickets, this is one ticket, this is no ticket. If they want to highlight for a subber reading program a film that is low ticket use, they know that it's going to be lower costs for them because they're paying for the platform and the collection, and users can get more views. And every end user now has a simpler I give you, I give you thirty tickets. You know where you are. Every time you launch Canopy, it shows you how many you have available. In the upper right hand corner, you're you're using down your tickets for the month and then it resets.
Speaker 1: Okay, finally, what turns you on and how did this start? Is it about books or is it about a digital enterprise? I mean retrospect. Jeff Bezos didn't care about books. He's kind of honest about this. Saw a niche filled it. So is this about reading or is this about tapping an untapped market?
Speaker 3: Well, if you would have asked me those questions at once every decade over the past forty years, I would have had a different answer. But I can tell you over the last decade what has got me to jump out of bed every morning and be so eager to lean forward into every opportunity that technology and access to content and even with some of the new influences of AI tools, which is another podcast at a future date. I believe that in the next five to ten years, as a confluence of the technology and our positioning with these it's the secret weapon overdrive has is a network of dedicated community servants informational professional known as librarians, and they have been dedicated for a world enlightened by reading. When someone walks into that public library anywhere in the country, they don't look at how your dress or what your zip code is they are there to welcome you and provide you whatever it is which will help you in your time of crisis, in your time of celebration, at every point of the journey. And what excites me is I honestly believe we are going to change the literacy pandemic in this nation. Childhood illiteracy is just a fact of life. And you know, unfortunately where you are, you know this is where zip code matters. If you are in a in a neighborhood where you have access to less funded public libraries or less funded public schools and they don't have access to all the material and resources and interventions, it's likely that your students will not have the same progression how they learn to speak and read books and progress in their academic journey. This is why so many states are now leaning forward in the science of reading, or there's been a decade mandate to read by three. We know that if a student isn't by the third grade reading at the appropriate grade level, you could almost chart out the rest of his life on his earnings, his academic and his even his health and wellness. That's all impacted by the foundation of reading and literacy. Now in the urban markets, that we are dedicated to support every public library in America. Yes, we're so blessed that if you are a Libby fan commuting and you have multiple tableists and streaming platforms, we are better than slice bread. And I love the love letters and the you know, we have fan bases worldwide, but that doesn't motivate me. I want to improve the life of those who need a book to take care of their parent, or to make a reversal of their decline of their health, or to help them get that job so they can apply for that manufacturing opportunity, workforce development, adult literacy, health literacy. We are going to I go to every week, you know, the first of the year, I'm at CES, marching around. I spend about a third of my time at the Senior Tech sponsored by AARP. Because we're all aging, We're all going to need assiste of technology everything. Yes, I could make the font larger, and I need to make the audiobook louder, and I want to speed it up or slow it down. But the invention of you know, I'm going to be everything you read and hear is going to be instantly available in every language. We are going to be able to adapt the book and the modality of presenting the content and the concept to every reader in untold ways that are going to make a difference. So this is this is what excites me. We are going to make We are going to turn around a nation that has been over decades becoming.
Speaker 2: Less literate, less skilled.
Speaker 3: You know, in the UK, they just died a twenty study that in the UK classroom students are reading four percent below the grade level over two years ago, and the kids that are getting to the middle schools are reading at the lower grade levels. And it's not just there, this is happening worldwide. We are going to make such a dent and literacy English Language Cultural Education workforce element. I volunteer in our local major healthcare system here at University Hospital, and I'm all about health literacy. Yes, we have the best doctors and the best apps, and the best science and the best clinical data. But at the end of the day, it's you, the patient who has to make the change. If I don't stop eating this and do that, if I don't get off my butt and do this, I am going to suffer that outcome.
Speaker 2: I got a bad lab result.
Speaker 3: But when I come in and they tell me something and I don't understand, and they give me a file folder of papers and I don't know what placeemic is and I can't read it. I can't even understand how to take the pills because it's three x five x, and I have a numeracy issue. Literacy enlightening the world through books and access to information.
Speaker 2: That's what gets me out of bed. And we have a lot of work to do.
Speaker 1: Well, Steve, you've really gone through it lists. I'm glad to have you on the podcast. I'm a huge fan ofly B use it literally every day for those people you know, listen, I get physical books all the time. I happened to read it. Be reading a physical book right now. Had to go for a doctor's appointment yesterday. I'm celebt to go. Well, that's a big book and I got to carry it around, whereas I can read digital books on my phone. Secondly, I'm always reading a physical book and I find a word I don't understand, I start to touch. Because I'm used to digital books, I can give the definition. Well, you've certainly amplified what's going on in the ebook digital revolution libraries, and I want to thank you so much for taking this time with my audience.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Bob, and I really appreciate your perspective from the industry standpoint, because usually I'm talking about just the frustrations of the end user. And I really like talking about the industry because there's so many commonalities of negotiating with the artists and the music publishers and the labels that we are deal with on the on the book and the on the film side. I stayed out of music because it was too hard. That's how we met our.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 1: On that note, till next time, Thanks again, Steve. Till next time. This is Bob left six