Speaker 1: Looking for a mortgage bank to help you make your next major mortgage move, whether it's a refi or home purchase, regardless of whether it's your first one or one of many. Consider our friends at Stockton Mortgage, but don't just take our word for it. Stockton Mortgage has over seventy thousand five star reviews and counting, just like this review from Joshua, who says this about his experience with Stockton. They were super professional, always answered my questions I had, and streamlined the process. I could not ask for better people to help me and my family get our first house. I feel blessed to be able to go through them. Be like Joshua or the sixty nine nine hundred ninety nine others.
Speaker 2: Just like him, and get started with Stockton Mortgage today by going to Stockton dot com and get started. I've even used Stockton Mortgage myself on my own home loan. For your home loan needs, Stockton dot com and click get started. Stockton Mortgage MLS eight two five nine, Equal Housing Lender NMLS, Consumer Access dot Org.
Speaker 3: This is can Tully Sports Radio presented by his Stockton Mortgage and the Kentucky Office of Highway Safety saved summer driving tour.
Speaker 4: Now here's Matt.
Speaker 5: Jones, welcome back, Takey Sports Radio here at Media Day. I remember two. How great was Colton Price?
Speaker 6: There by the way, awesome, a lot of fun. I like Tim All an artist.
Speaker 5: I don't I will say, I don't know what she and why do people get married at twenty one?
Speaker 3: I mean during the season too, that's kind of crazy.
Speaker 7: That's crazy during his season, during the bye.
Speaker 3: Weeks, but not get married, not in a bye week.
Speaker 5: But I mean, but twenty one.
Speaker 7: Yeah, what are you doing?
Speaker 5: Means he's focused on I mean, I'm still like heston on whether my age is the right du You're.
Speaker 3: Like fifty one.
Speaker 1: I don't know about fifty one.
Speaker 6: We like that from our fifty one.
Speaker 7: Thank you. That's nice.
Speaker 6: You come home.
Speaker 5: Yeah, if you're if you're gonna be that's true. If you're gonna be married. On the team, I think you want your senner to be married. He's the stability of the team. Right. They were like, I don't want I don't want my my star defensive back to be married. He's got he's got oats to sell.
Speaker 7: Yeah, there was a year I think but I'm the center. Maybe I think it was ninety five when like they were like ten dudes on the team that were married.
Speaker 5: I feel like our offensive line is often married. Am I right?
Speaker 7: Didn't mind it Young got married before this senior year exactly. Yeah, I saw it.
Speaker 5: I tell you, I saw him in the New York airport, did you, Yes, he was. I saw him in the New York Airport when we talked about he's on the Jets camp. He was talking to me about I was helping him find a place to live. Yeah, I was telling him the different neighborhoods of New York and New Jersey and yeah, I saw him in there.
Speaker 7: But he that is a big dude. That's a monster, because that dude had the.
Speaker 5: Biggest thighs I've ever seen in my life.
Speaker 7: Well, this is maybe the best big blue wall we've had since that landing Young big blue way.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 5: I think that's probably correct. Yeah, yeah, don't you?
Speaker 7: I think so?
Speaker 5: Okay, Kenny Minche is on his way. So before we gets there, let's do one somewhat negative thing TBT loss law Familia. What an environment? Though, I do have to say I got there right, I came just to feel the pregame and what an environment?
Speaker 7: Was awesome, wasn't. You could feel the electricity in the air. There was a buzz.
Speaker 5: I just wish we could play a game in Memorial. I know we can't financially, but like there's that the energy in that building is so good.
Speaker 6: Yeah, if you could get that crowd, those people that don't get to go to RUP as much and give them a real game. I mean they are just giving it to the TBT refs who probably like, guys, it's the tvt right now.
Speaker 5: Well then one of them was the high stepper. He was like, we had the high stepper.
Speaker 7: They got down twelve to two, and just like that, the crowd and the buzz was gone.
Speaker 5: By the way, I'm gonna take responsibility. I was there at the beginning during twelve ten to two and I left. Yeah, well after that, I had.
Speaker 6: No role in it. It didn't feel right from the beginning. To David Steel's credit, they were playing hard. They like move the ball really well. It can get a little one on one ash in TBT. They looked like a real team and I felt doomed to the moment it started really and then, of course I.
Speaker 5: Will tell you though I haven't bought any Davis Steele since then, no steal everything in my in my studio to be wooden.
Speaker 6: I throw out my stainless still toots and pains, all of them out down the yard. Go pick them up if you want them going back to cast do we do?
Speaker 7: I mean they're right down the road in Russell Springs. They listened to ks R.
Speaker 6: Oh and they were so happy and they were ryan. They cried and they were crying.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Then I saw a video of them handing out cash in the locker room.
Speaker 5: They paid them in cash in the locker room.
Speaker 6: Were little spending money. I don't know if I don't think the two million hits they count yet, but yeah, they're passing cash.
Speaker 5: I would have exempt No, Yeah, I would have liked it. That reminds me of when we did the Barnstorming tour and we would pay Ramel and Joe in cash.
Speaker 7: And then they'd throw the cash at each other.
Speaker 5: Didn't know they would take There were like ten stops and so like we would do stop one we got paid. We didn't we didn't take credit cards. I mean, this wasn't before credit cards, but we were like, we're not dealing with credit cards. So you had to pay in cash. So we would take the cash home that night and like divvy it up.
Speaker 6: By the way, all.
Speaker 5: Reported from all my tax reported, all of them report and then the next game, I would hand Joe and Ramel their cash, their stack of cash, and they would be like children when they got it. They would hit each other over their heads with it. Ramel couldn't have kept that cash more than thirty minutes because he would just walk around tipping people. He would just like he would just be like he just wanted to carry it and just hand it to people.
Speaker 7: I remember you're telling those stories, like yeah, they would just throw their money at each.
Speaker 5: Other and he would they Romel and Joe, they would get that and you know sometimes it would be like two grand, twenty five hundred dollars in cash. I'll just hand it to them and they would just start smacking each other. And maybe more than that sometimes I.
Speaker 7: Think I'd leave their stack of cash at a restaurant.
Speaker 5: And we went to Skyline in Cincinnati in not a great part of town, and they ordered their Skyline and then just set like three thousand dollars on the table. I was like, what are you doing. You're gonna get us?
Speaker 7: You could get us robbed.
Speaker 6: New to them and at nev N I l back then, So that was a big point.
Speaker 7: That's how I knew.
Speaker 5: That's how I knew we weren't cheating at that point.
Speaker 7: Yeah, because they were. If we were cheating, they were.
Speaker 5: Too happy to have the money. They wouldn't have they wouldn't have like these guys now, they wouldn't do that.
Speaker 7: They'd like put it in R or something.
Speaker 6: Oh, we didn't get the money last night. But they still had their own section with the crowd.
Speaker 5: They want some people, that's right. I think they had to have been employees. That's the only thing I can figure because why would you why would.
Speaker 7: You be employees? And the kids of the employees.
Speaker 5: I'm sorry they lost. It would have been exciting, I think. I think when they played the little like in the with all the pictures of the young girl tiered up, you know what she's right? I get like that. I didn't get it last night because it was the TBT. But you get a big game, like if Kentucky's about to play Florida at home and they play that, sometimes I.
Speaker 7: Get a little tiered up there.
Speaker 5: There's just something like emotional and nice about it.
Speaker 7: Those great moments. You know the James Lee dunk at the end of the seventy eight tournament. You know, Kayshawn hitting one from the logo, and they put those.
Speaker 5: I mean it's all the great. They really do a good job. But they hit like every big UK moment and then they add them as they happen. I mean, oh ways, I'm sure he'll be on there this year. He shot against Santa Claara.
Speaker 6: Even as the season goes on, they try to get some of the current team at the very back end.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 6: It's it's one of the best things they do. They've done it a while. I mean everything from like Ed Davender's dunk to Anthony Davis in the final four. They include it all.
Speaker 7: Ed Davenders, you mean, excuse me.
Speaker 6: Devon probably had some good dunks, but Dirk Midfield's big dunk.
Speaker 7: I don't know if fed Devon could dunk Christy.
Speaker 6: It's it's a they worked him in. I don't know why I got this.
Speaker 5: Go you have you have all our players, Carson Price is dunk, Carson Stone Carson Stone's dunk. So anyway, all in all, TBT experience positive, don't you think very positive?
Speaker 7: I think, well, you know, everybody went had a great time. Just to the outcome. I think we had a couple of guys pick a really bad time to have a really bad game and it didn't help.
Speaker 6: Been a problem the whole tournament.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we I don't know what you do about TBT free throws. What are you gonna love him? But Archie's never been a free throw guy. Archie's never been a big free throw. Andrew was two of eight. I think Andrew was two of eight. Yeah, well he's pretty money when he.
Speaker 7: Had a good game. Yeah.
Speaker 6: Really, the thing that held him back it's the guys. Will he needed help, the guy will He really needed help. The guys that committed big men and didn't help. But they just had no size and it caught up to him.
Speaker 5: I did enjoy Billy's Batster party. We we We saw Willy calley Stein out and that was fun. Got to got to hang out with Willy cally Stein and talk. He's that dude if he wants to, He's a guy who could be We've always talked about like who are the former players that could do media here if Willy wants to? And I said this to him. He he We had a conversation as serious as conversation as you can have at one am outside.
Speaker 6: Of the vine after tequila Shi.
Speaker 5: After well, I didn't have any, but he did. I said to him, I was like, you know, if you want to do this, you could do it. You just have to, like you know, you're gonna have to put effort into it. And he was like, I do want to, but I also want to play golf. And I was like, well, okay, but you're gonna you know, because he could do it. He's very interesting and he has good insights on on the basketball.
Speaker 7: He's great for what TVT is all about, get the fans involved, and he loves it. He loves to interact with the fans. But that's why he would do good a media. He gets what it's like to be a fan of this university.
Speaker 5: Minshei. By the way, will be eleven thirty. We just got the text. It'll be a little bit later. What do you think of will Stein's interview?
Speaker 7: I thought he was fantastic. Well a matter of fact, every time he steps in front of the microphone, I think he's good.
Speaker 5: He gets it, you know, called out TJ Walker the sports talking he did. Yeah, but he doesn't like he I give him credit, like he's he says what he thinks. And you know, I think in today's world, authenticity matters like that. I think the it's the same politics, for better or worse. I'm not saying this is necessarily good or not, but the world has changed to where people want authenticity. They when we were a kid, what we thought of the way a coach acts, the way a politician acts.
Speaker 7: That's not what people want now, right.
Speaker 5: They want to know who you are really, and I think Will is very comfortable in his own skin.
Speaker 7: I think you might even be to say he's one of us.
Speaker 6: I mean maybe, yes, No, he is one of us. Yes, I do agree with that. Yeah, it was just like talking to one of the guys. I mean, he's starting his first season as a head coach, and it felt like we were just talking to a fan that pulled up to check out the team with the rest of us. I thought he handled you know, it didn't really give us much on the GM question. But you asked him about a GM leaving and he immediately turned it into lifting knockta up as opposed to really getting into what happened there.
Speaker 5: Well, I mean it's got to be it's it's I mean, it's not a positive.
Speaker 6: And he admitted that it was unexpected.
Speaker 5: And and I think that was the news part, that it was unexpected, that they didn't know that that was coming. But you know, I think they handled as well they could. And I think Knocked, I mean Knacta was doing a lot of that work as well. So I think if you're gonna have somebody to step in, he's the perfect guy to do it.
Speaker 7: Yeah, you're not throwing in some rookie. That's what Pete's done, you know, the last fifteen years. He may be back in Louisville. He was kind of like acting.
Speaker 5: According to Will, Pete did the general manager job. Of course, someone else's signed the general manager job at Louisville. I kept waiting for the text. I didn't give one like that. But he may not know because they may be in practice. But he's gonna hear that, and I'm gonna hear from him either or I could see a tweet coming out.
Speaker 7: Yeah, oh yeah, I.
Speaker 5: Could see a tweet a grown man, g roa and man tweet coming out. But I like that. I love you know, I can get I get the sense because I know obviously event's very well. I've gotten to know Will and Pete a little bit. I think they all like each other, but there is a rivalry there cool and they're not gonna hide it. I mean, it's kind of like I think they like it. So take when Calan We're at their biggest they didn't like each other, but they didn't really want to acknowledge.
Speaker 6: That they play nice when they had to.
Speaker 5: They play nice, but they didn't feel nice. I don't think they feel that way now right Like, I don't know that they've ever gotten over that. I think I do think Vince, Pete, and Will like each other, but I think they're going to acknowledge that there is a healthy It's a little bit like Shaman and Billy.
Speaker 3: What do you mean by that.
Speaker 5: Well, I mean you and Billy you like each other, but you both want to make sure the other one knows that the other one's better.
Speaker 1: Well, Billy knows that I'm better.
Speaker 5: I don't see Shannon just said Billy knows that I'm better. Billy's sitting over there. That's what I'm saying. There's a little bit of that. I think that's what you have with the UK Louisville, but.
Speaker 6: Also that's what you want from your rivalries. Like you're supposed to be putting L's down in the in the other fans face. Your coaches are supposed to have that banter. That's why it's a rivalry and what makes that game so much more fun when it comes around every year because you've had eleven months of firing off tweets or whatever it is, as long as you're having that little back and forth and keeping it somewhat respectful.
Speaker 5: Do you think, I guess, end of the day, all of this excitement. I don't think there's hype in the sense that people think we're gonna win nine games, but there is a sense of, Okay, this is gonna be really good. Do you think I mean, is the product on the field gonna meet that?
Speaker 7: I think so. I think you know we're still gonna be underdogs. We won't be like huge underdogs because I think we've shortened the gap with some of these top.
Speaker 5: Line so you're expecting to see it when placed absolutely Like, do you think when we play Alabama win or lose, is that game going to be competitive?
Speaker 7: I think so. I think I think will be with a lot of these games that are coming up, that. Like I said, we may not be favored, but we're gonna be in the game and be competitive. Yeah.
Speaker 6: I think they're gonna be competitive in a lot of games. And they're gonna whether it's Alabama or Tennessee or Florida, they're gonna knock off.
Speaker 5: See, I'm with you. They're gonna beat somebody, but they're gonna win one of those. Big they're gonna beat some I look at that. Alabama L s U. Who's the other one? We have A and m Oklahoma, Florida, Florida. I think we certainly can be Yeah, but let's just say Tennessee, Alabama, L.
Speaker 7: S U.
Speaker 5: Tennessee, you're gonna win. We're gonna win one of those. Yes, they're all at home right, Yes, Tennessee, Tennessee's in Knoxville. Who are at home games? Alabama L s U. Van Dy Florida, Florida. See we're beating Well, we're gonna beat Florida.
Speaker 6: Do we count Louisville in this conversation?
Speaker 5: Well, I mean I think we're gonna be I think we can beat Louisville. I don't consider beating Louisville. Well, I think it's punching up a little bit considering the last couple of years. But to me, in Alabama or l s U win is a program changer. Yeah, right, A Louisville win, a Tennessee win is not a program changer, but it's close. A Louisville win is that would be really great to get. But Louisville to me, I mean, they're not gonna like this, but they can get over it. I look at Louisville like I look at Florida, maybe even like I looked at Mississippi State, which is that's South Carolina, which is that's how you measure where your program is. But it's not a changer if you win. Do you agree with that?
Speaker 7: I do agree with that, and I do like when you ask coach Stein that. I like how you answered the question. He's like, the Louisville win is important to us as any game on the schedule, and we're absolutely gonna go out and keep that.
Speaker 5: I mean, we beat Louisville on the road two years ago and we weren't even good, right.
Speaker 6: So another one to watch. It's not as big of a name or logo, but going at South Carolina, that's a rivalry we've lost. That's when things started going on to decline because you weren't winning that game anymore. That could be a fun roadway.
Speaker 5: That's a bit that's I think you're right, a big one. Debbie Green, you know who, of course told me something recently made a lot of sense. She said, most businesses don't have a marketing problem. They have a strategy problem.
Speaker 7: I wonder how they can fix that.
Speaker 5: They have people to do in social media, but nobody has step back and say is this working?
Speaker 7: Huh.
Speaker 5: That's what Debbie's the best at with bringing in the Green. She takes a step back and says, is your marketing working? Rather than just saying, well, I do social media because that's what you're supposed to do. Is anybody looking at those videos when you do these ads? Anybody listening to them? When you do the television commerciacs? They listening watching them? Because if they're not, what's the point, right? That's what Debbie does. She's bringing in the green dot com slash KSR and she'll give you a free one hour consultation. I've said this many times. Most of the businesses that have had a lot of success advertising on KSR have worked with Debbie. Yep, bringing in the Green dot Com slash KSR a free hour, one hour consultation not just about advertising on KSR, but all Kentucky and regional media bringing in the Green dot com slash KSR. Our good friend Debbie Green. If I had a business and didn't know how to market it, that's who I would use. Kenny Minshi will join us. Also, today's big day starting on the ESPN.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that looks good.
Speaker 5: Hours away. Mario has got to get that lighting working.
Speaker 6: Who hung that baseball bat up? I know you didn't do it.
Speaker 5: It's gonna surprise you. I didn't hang any of that. Yeah as well, talk about right after this this is KSR. Yeah, balls to the wall, Burner back Tucky Sports Radio. If I'm note two eighth twenty two eighty seven. By the way, some of you have asked, like the last week or so, we really haven't taken many calls, in part just because of the way the shows have worked out. First one coming back and then we had interviews and we've had this. Starting tomorrow, we will be back getting ready for phone calls, et cetera, be back in studio more of a regular routine, uh, starting on on tomorrow, So hopefully we can we can hear from you guys, because I've kind of missed getting to talk to the callers.
Speaker 6: Haven't had the callers getting pretty comfortable here at Kroger Field been.
Speaker 5: I mean we've been here two of the last three shows. I don't know if we'll have us back for that. I think they're having an open practice for the media Thursday, though.
Speaker 7: Let's come back. We got our table.
Speaker 5: I think it's before we go on the are so. But but you'll start to get to see these players play a.
Speaker 6: Little bit, start getting the fall camp interviews they do weekly. The updates will be coming.
Speaker 7: But it gets you excited. Man, when you sit down here with the players and coach Diny, can I get you excited for the upcoming season. So we need to do a lot of that, a lot more of that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So two quick things. First of all, the Reds, it's the trade deadline right today. I knew you would like this story. Tyler Stevenson, Yes, the catcher. Right in his first at bat six seven years ago, he hit home run with the first that bat with the red, first step bat in the Major's the Major's Okay, hit a home run. Then today is at six o'clock the trade deadline. There's a decent chance he might get traded. His contract aspires at the end of the year. They're probably not going to resign him. Last at bat last night, he hits a home run.
Speaker 7: He hit another home run.
Speaker 5: Shannon said earlier. I've said this many times, what's your most important days on the job, Shannon?
Speaker 3: First day, in your last day?
Speaker 5: First at bat, home run, last at bat, home run, Pretty nie, isn't it.
Speaker 7: Yeah. I think the Red Spans and will now remember him fondly because of that little fact you just put out.
Speaker 5: There, and they asked him after the game to comment on and he started crying, which like you want, I mean, we all want our players on the team to care so much that they cried, Drew So that was kind.
Speaker 6: Of not especially at a place like Cincinnati that's been rebuilding for two decades now. Yeah, I mean, but honestly, he doesn't have a lot of team success there other than making the playoffs. You're in there. For him to cry, it still shows how much he loves the connection to Cincinnati.
Speaker 5: So three o'clock today on ESPN Radio, Matt and Myron debuts. Everybody's asked how you listen. It's very easy, ihard app. Just put in ESPN Radio right, that's it our app ESPN Radio Hit play.
Speaker 7: It's very easy, very simple.
Speaker 5: If you want to watch it, it's on the ESPN app, like where you watch the games that are on the computer.
Speaker 7: Huh. We will be on there.
Speaker 5: They finished the construction of my studio at nine to thirty last night.
Speaker 7: You've supposted the picture of the wall though you had all your things up on the wall.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so they put so the guy first of all, Matt and Dale. Dale's a listener of show. Thank you guys. I mean they were in my house till late at night Thursday, Friday and Sunday to get it done. It's there's more stuff that's gonna go on that wall, but that's for now.
Speaker 7: I think it looks great.
Speaker 5: I put a little bit of everything in my life, right, so I'm putting a picture of us up there. We don't have that up there yet, but you know, you've got so the brown wildcat thing behind my head. So people understand, because a couple of people are like, it's not very modern. Shut your face. You don't even know why I have it up there, that brown wildcat thing. My grandfather had that picture in his gas station when he was working and then put it in his house and he gave it to me. See that's fifty or forty years old. Yeah, so that's why it's up there. It's a nod to my grandfather who made me a Kentucky fan. Makes it special, yes, and then the uk WWE belt. Yes, there's a Hurricane's puck. There's a bear's helmet my emmy, a Middlesborough High School sticker, a Transylvania Pioneers pinnate that looks like it came from the fifties, but I kind of like that, and a KSR baseball bat given to me by Louisville Slugger.
Speaker 7: You got a thirteenth region with Middlesborough and k Wood.
Speaker 5: And a k Wood Ledford bobblehead. Though the only thing missing is something from the Reds. I've got an Llie de la Cruz bobblehead, but it's in Louisville. I gotta get it and bring.
Speaker 7: It back and then you all set. You'll have it all up there.
Speaker 5: Then I'll have it all there. I'm gonna have a little picture. I'm probably gonna go to the bar and steal one of those pictures of the KSR crew and put it right there next to my shoulder.
Speaker 7: Now, you always liked it when you will see somebody else and they would have a book Mitch Please behind it.
Speaker 5: I don't know if they I'm trying not to push the envelope yet, I'm not sure if they want, like I was, I have that picture of Mitch of the book in the New York Times bestseller list, but I don't know if ESPN wants a picture of Mitch McConnell behind me on the wall. So that's what I cause, you know, that's But what I might do is have a set of books and just have it to where you see Mitch Please, because then you would know, oh, that's my book.
Speaker 6: Jimmy Dike's on his home set. He has ten books and they're all the same book that he wrote. So you could put like ten Mitch.
Speaker 5: No, he does. He's got ten of his own books.
Speaker 6: Just lined up behind him.
Speaker 7: He put up ten Mitch pleases back there.
Speaker 5: That's really no.
Speaker 7: I think what I'm gonna do.
Speaker 5: I am gonna have some books, but I think I'm going to rotate the books based on what I'm reading.
Speaker 7: It's sort of like a Matt Jones book club.
Speaker 5: You need to put a little easter egg well you know what he Paige used to do the thing where he'd have a little sign behind him on around the horn and he'd write things. I'm thinking about doing that, like maybe one day just having like hey for a handsome Jimmy, right, one day having I got two questions right, like like no, if little easter eggs just for the keve like.
Speaker 7: Today, you could put carson Stone exactly.
Speaker 5: That's exactly what I would put up today, Carson Stone. I'm thinking about adding that behind it as well. But we had to get it working. And Mario, by the way, if you get there, if you turn it on today and the lighting's not good, that's because of him. He is in charge of the lighting. They just but to be fair to him. The light lights just came at eight o'clock last night. So we're excited to work in progress. We're excited for this is a big deal. Man.
Speaker 7: You get your own show on ESPN.
Speaker 5: It is a big deal midweek. So people keep asking me if I'm nervous. I'm not nervous about the show. I'm nervous about the technology in my house. Since it's just gotten put together last night, so I am nervous about that. But this also, the headphones they had me wearing are from a different generation. I have to get new ones. I looks like Drew in that one picture. We'll take a break. Kenny Minschie right after this. TJ.
Speaker 1: Smith, personal injury attorney, called TJ.
Speaker 5: He'll make them pay.
Speaker 3: Now more of Kentucky Sports Radio presented by Stockton Mortgage. Here's Matt Jones work.
Speaker 5: I'm back. It is Kentucky Sports Radio. Before we gets to Kenny Minchin ten, tell me about stockable.
Speaker 7: You know. I'm so glad you asked, because school shopping isn't the only so you got the strim this time I got okay, cocking points for all of August, like the home month, some memories we start over. School shopping is the only thing worth planning for this August. If buying a home is on your list this year, doctor Marrioys can help you understand your options before you're ready to move. Maybe you're still waiting for mortgage rates to be perfect. You can spend all your waiting or spend that time getting prepared. DODR Mario can help you build a plan no matter where rates are today, So learn more at docton dot com and them last eighty five nine equalhalgy lender back to you, Matthew.
Speaker 5: You can learn from that, Kenny, Like that's what you get to be a pity.
Speaker 7: That's professionalism right there.
Speaker 5: That's what you do right there, So you can I don't know what you're in il deals are right now, but if you need some help on the commercials, you can just learn from old main limit Kenny Minshei's here quarterback for Kentucky. I have to tell you, Kenny, for Kentucky fans, this is maybe the most mysterious quarterback we've ever had because we don't know a lot about you, but people are excited. So what do we need to know?
Speaker 8: I feel like you need to know. I was I've been in college for a while, so I'm not just a freshman.
Speaker 5: You're not just off the street.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well I'm not off the street.
Speaker 8: But yeah, although I haven't, you know, started games, I've played a lot of football and I know what it should looked like. So you're getting experienced quarterback although I haven't, you know, been on the field too much.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean that's one of the things people say that are around the Notre Dame program. You nearly won that job. I mean, you were right there and you decided to go in the portal, and lots of people wanted you. Welly Kentucky.
Speaker 8: Everything really from the coaches to the players who were staying from last year, the coaches that were bringing I mean, the players that the coaches were bringing in from the portal just very enticing. And and you know, Stein and Sloan, they got a really good thing going on here, and they're really smart, and I want to learn from the best.
Speaker 5: They are really smart. That's one of the things I hear about you. You're a really smart quarterback. Was that sort of connection in terms of like intelligence and just that was that part of what drew you to him? For sure?
Speaker 8: Yeah, I think just talking with my family, you know, one of the major major points for me, he was playing for a really good coach, a really smart coach who knows what it should look like and who can make me a better player, because that's all I want. And you know that's obviously found out in in Stein and Sloan, and you know with the quarterbacks they've coached in the past, you can tell that they've done it before, and I know they can do it again.
Speaker 5: Got a big offensive line. We had Colton Price up here. I mean, his legs are as big as Ryan's head. I don't know how. I mean, you gotta be you gotta love that. The protection there right.
Speaker 4: No doubt. I feel really good about it.
Speaker 8: You know, that's one thing as a quarterback, you you want to be able to lean on probably the most important part of the offense. So having those big guys in front of me is really good. And I love those guys. And but yeah, not only protecting, but also just being able to run the football. That's a really really big part in college football and especially in the SEC.
Speaker 5: What he makes your best strength as a quarterback. If you were an NFL evaluator and you were saying, Kenny Minschi does this, what do you think that would be?
Speaker 8: I would say my accuracy, whether it be just sit in the pocket or be able to make not so much as off platform throws, but throws with maybe a guy in my face or with really tight coverage. Just being able to put the ball where I want to put it.
Speaker 7: Now.
Speaker 5: I know you were at Notre Dame, so really good opponents, But I mean Alabama's on the schedule, LSU's on the schedule, Tennessee's on the sky. I mean you got to look at that and go there's so many great opportunities. Is that exciting for you? I know I don't want you. We're not looking past week one, but you sit there in Alabama's looking at you week two. It can't help but be exciting.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean looking at looking at the schedule way back when I got here is definitely definitely exciting. Just being able to look at all the really good teams starting from week one to week twelve that we're gonna be able to play this year. And like you said, I just view it as a really great opportunity to you know, play against the best, because that's all I really want to do.
Speaker 5: I mean the spotlight alone, I mean that second game, it'll be the whole nation watching you, and that's I would think that would be just an awesome opportunity, awesome opportunity.
Speaker 4: To you know, go out and do what we do.
Speaker 7: Hey, key, Ryan Leman, I'm from Kentucky's sports. You're known as a gunslinger. You throw it around. Yeah, in the spring game, you scrambled and scored a touchdown. Are you a dual threat guy? Are you gonna run the ball?
Speaker 4: Some?
Speaker 8: I think I can do both. Obviously, I'm a quarterback. I can throw the ball. I can make any throw in the field. But I think I do have enough athleticism to use my legs when I need to.
Speaker 6: We mentioned how you come from Notre Dame. That's obviously one of the biggest brands in the game with the history and tradition. Now you're kind of on a ground floor of what will Stun's trying to build. So he went from trying to maintain success to now start it.
Speaker 7: Is there a different.
Speaker 6: Feeling going into the games that you're kind of a part of something new and want to build it.
Speaker 8: I would say the main difference is, like you said, they're already being that sort of standard and then coming here with a bunch of new coaches, a bunch of new players from the state strength staff to even like the position coaches established and that the standard that we have for our team. I think that would be the main difference. So just being able to build that up with coach Stein, I think that would be Yeah.
Speaker 5: You don't even know you've done this, but you've created a little rivalry with Me with Us and the show Busting with the Boys.
Speaker 7: Do you know that show?
Speaker 4: Yes, I do know that show.
Speaker 5: Will Compton he thought you were going to go to Nebraska and then you came here, which led to some trash talking back and forth, which a lot of the listeners don't know has led to some occasional trash talk texting back and forth. So I don't even know him. I've never even met him, but we argue about you quite a bit. So I'm excited You've got to prove Will Compton wrong as you go out this year.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I don't want to get in between your guys's beef, which it sounds like I already am.
Speaker 5: Well, yes you are the Bee.
Speaker 8: But yeah, I haven't seen too much of their show, but yeah, i'd probably say I like the show a little bit better.
Speaker 5: Big look at that. There we go. Then you're I'm completely on your side. All right. Let me ask you a couple of questions, just for fans to get to know you. Give me your favorite musician who you listen.
Speaker 4: To, Uh, listen to Zach Bryan. He's my He's my number one. Yeah, a lot of really, a lot of Zach Brian.
Speaker 5: That I didn't see Zach Brian. What's your favorite Zach Brian song? Just saw him in concert in Louisville a couple of months ago.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was there.
Speaker 5: You were there? Okay, well so they.
Speaker 4: Went, so it's a good time.
Speaker 5: What's your favorite song?
Speaker 8: Starved would probably be my favorite, probably not a fan favorite, but starved.
Speaker 5: Well, we'll we'll play it on the way back here.
Speaker 6: All right, listen to the Live Red Rocks album All My Homies Hate to Get Master.
Speaker 7: It's the best one.
Speaker 4: Yeah, really really good.
Speaker 5: You know you have Will Stein like and Forrest Gump. Yeah, you're a big Zach Brian guy. I think you're you're gonna be on the staff. Uh all right?
Speaker 4: Favorite movie Sandlot?
Speaker 7: Sandlot?
Speaker 4: Really good?
Speaker 5: I thought that was that? Was that not before your time?
Speaker 8: Oh yeah, wait before my time? But I mean that's a classic. You gotta watch that growing up and then just turn into a movie I just kept watching.
Speaker 5: Okay, so saying Lot, Zach Brian, All right, what about your favorite television.
Speaker 4: Show I don't watch like you're streaming whatever. Yeah, I mean, but growing up, SpongeBob. That was like SpongeBob that was.
Speaker 8: The only thing that was on the TV really before school, So it was just a lot of Spongebobs.
Speaker 5: Can you imagine drew the odds we could have gotten on our quarterback picking SpongeBob, Zach, Brian and uh uh saying a lot as the three I would not have gotten.
Speaker 6: I didn't have those. But that's why we're here. We're going to learn more.
Speaker 5: See, I'm glad. I'm glad to learn that.
Speaker 7: Do you Uh?
Speaker 5: Somebody asked me, do you play video games?
Speaker 8: I don't play video games. I left my console back home, but whatever, focus, Yeah, I gotta focus, and I'm just I'm not a big video game person, even growing up. But whenever I do go home, sometimes I'll I'll get on and play with friends. But n C Double a Gun, n C double a game is pretty fun. I'll play that with my sister when I can.
Speaker 5: You're on it.
Speaker 4: You gotta like that one, Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 5: Do you play as yourself?
Speaker 4: Yes, you do sometimes because you don't.
Speaker 5: Want to play as an opponent, so you play as yourself.
Speaker 8: Right if Yeah, if we're picking teams, it's like, you know, if I draw that random team and it's Kentucky, I'll play with myself.
Speaker 5: Okay, Yeah, now, uh do you. We don't really know the players. You know so many new guys. Uh here, So give us a little bit of the Kenny Minchi scouting report on the team as people who are like the funniest most, who's got the biggest personalities.
Speaker 6: On the team.
Speaker 8: Biggest personalities, I would say, Willie Roder, you guys okay, yeah, you guys know him, Bo Barnes, Hardley Gilmore.
Speaker 5: Hardly Gilmore will ask you for the ball.
Speaker 7: He will.
Speaker 5: He will look at you and say for me, I'm not you're acting like I'm not Hardly here, throw me the Ball's.
Speaker 8: Indeed, yeah, very very lively personality really in every position group. I feel like we got a really really funny team and it's it's a lot of a lot of energy floating around the line.
Speaker 5: Now, have you been told that you like have to beat? Have you been told that?
Speaker 4: I think that's expected. I don't know if those words have been.
Speaker 5: Had said that to you? I don't.
Speaker 8: I don't honestly, I don't know if someone's actually said that to me. But it's it's I think it's pretty understood.
Speaker 7: We're yeah, across campus hear.
Speaker 5: It every day. You've you've just learned that all right, I'll leave. I'll let you go with this. If you've got this will probably be the biggest platform of Kentucky fans that will hear you talk before the first game of the season. If you were to say to them, this is who Kenny Minschi is, and this is what I want you to know about me, what would you say?
Speaker 8: I would just say I'm a normal guy who loves football, loves playing quarterbacks, and I love the guys around me in the facility. I think very highly of the offense side of the ball, defense, and the coaching staffs during staff and I think we can be really special this year.
Speaker 5: You've been around a great program. You know what a great program and a great team looks like.
Speaker 7: Indeed, where is this one?
Speaker 5: Where is like, you know, on the scale of how good you need to be to compete at that level.
Speaker 8: Like you said, I've been around really good teams and this is a really good team.
Speaker 5: So I love it. That's all I need to hear. Nice to meet you can't Good luck to you. And uh, sand Lot, you know what if we if we beat Alabama, we'll have a showing of the saying Lot, well, well we'll get it. You can come and say why you like it so much?
Speaker 7: Exactly?
Speaker 5: All right, I'll be there, all right, Kenny Minchi, we will take a break, come back. Final segment here from Kroger Fields KSR. So this is the Kenny Minschie song he likes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is Starved by Zach Brian.
Speaker 5: Starved. I hope they don't play this when he runs out.
Speaker 3: We need to pick up the pace a little bit.
Speaker 5: I think we're gonna need to begin injacked up and I need a little bit more energy when he comes out into play Vible for when he comes.
Speaker 7: Out, I would have guessed fifty artists before I would have guessed Zach Bryan is who he likes to listen to.
Speaker 5: Yes, well, you know, and.
Speaker 7: A TV show. I would not have guessed SpongeBob Square.
Speaker 5: You said it made you feel old that he likes SpongeBob.
Speaker 7: And he looks like he's twelve.
Speaker 5: He does look like a child.
Speaker 7: He's very very young, looking very young, and he says watching SpongeBob, I'm like, oh my goodness, I am one hundred.
Speaker 5: Is very He does look very very young.
Speaker 7: Yeah he does.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and a Nashville native that doesn't like the Titans. I thought we're gonna bond over that too.
Speaker 5: And I mean, I think, you know, knowing nothing else about him besides what we saw there, I think he's he's a very unique personality. But quarterbacks are like that. Quarterbacks, quarterbacks and kickers, they can be they can be unique.
Speaker 7: They can be very confident, boastful, and.
Speaker 5: Then there's he was actually seemed like pretty humble or.
Speaker 7: Mind me like Steven Johnson. Steph Johnson was kind of that way.
Speaker 5: That's that's a good analogy. Yeah, just coming eight five, twenty two eighty seven. Court physical therapy. If you need if you're out, you're working out, you know you're in there, you're you're doing the jump jack's or the cartwheels. Uh, court physical therapy. You might get hurt, maybe you strained something.
Speaker 6: I would definitely get hurt trying to do a cartwheel. I'd like to see you do a cartwheel. Uh.
Speaker 5: Go to KRT dot com over seventy locations. Uh. Most of your insurance will pay for it. Uh as you get closer to the end of the year, your deductibles need to be used. Court dot com. That's KRT dot com. Go to court physical Therapy. I was in the pool this weekend, did some cartwheels. Finally figured out how to get the bugs out.
Speaker 6: And the bugs just floating around.
Speaker 5: Apparently there's a thing called a pump.
Speaker 6: Yeah, those are usually with the pools.
Speaker 5: It might not have been on.
Speaker 7: Your filter.
Speaker 5: Yeah, maybe that wasn't on. Yeah, probably should have done that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I still got a lot to learn about the pool.
Speaker 5: But then once you did it, it was interesting buggling away.
Speaker 6: Wow, you get it all figured out.
Speaker 5: You know, slowly, but surely. The blinds are now working.
Speaker 6: Wow.
Speaker 5: Now the only thing I have left is I have a fan and I can't figure out how to turn it all or turn it on, and so birds are staying at the top of it. I need to turn it on so they'll get away from me.
Speaker 6: Hopefully. This is an outdoor fan. It is an outdoor fan.
Speaker 5: They're not.
Speaker 6: A problem.
Speaker 5: That would be a problem. But but yeah, I'm starting to learn stuff, and you know, I'm feeling a little bit like a homeowner. One person wrote about the space matt. That's a that's a lot of stuff on a very small part of your wall. Won't that look odd? No, goober, that's the part the camera sees.
Speaker 6: It's not like it's your kitchen.
Speaker 5: It doesn't do any good to have stuff in parts that they can't see.
Speaker 7: I thought, you see what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: Don't have plenty of room to add more stuff, all this stuff, like what you're seeing that little square we I mean, Mario was there Friday. We've measured what can actually be seen on camera. If I put stuff to the left or above or to the right. Now, well you won't be able to see it anyway. I mean I might do it eventually, just for life, but like that was for the back. What is going to be on camera? And then there's a little hole. But that hole is for me. That's right, that's that's my body, that will be right there.
Speaker 6: Sounds like somebody doesn't have a TV show the broadcasts out of their home.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, like I get it, but you gotta understand, like I gotta you know, there's gotta be space for me and my big head. That's why there's that little line in the center. That's from my head.
Speaker 6: All that stuff goes around. We get it.
Speaker 5: Sounds like he didn't get it.
Speaker 6: Clearly don't have a TV show?
Speaker 5: All right, So do you leave Media Day excited about the this UK group I do.
Speaker 7: I mean, all I had to hear was will Stein talk to us, and that got me excited. I mean, I love everything, everything.
Speaker 5: But we've been to a lot of these over the years. I mean, this is probably our fifteenth, go back to when I started the website, probably my twentieth, but fifteenth probably doing the show. Here the thing, here's the thing that I would take away as my biggest takeaway, Drew, what's up the class? And I don't mean class like Tody, but the status of everything has upgraded, Facilities nicer, you know, the sort of I guess what it was you call it, you know, arrangement of it, including like time is more precise, food is better. I know these are little things, but it suggests to me a group that's concerned about upgrading the look of something and details, you know what I mean. Like, I mean, it had gotten to the point that sometimes I felt like we were like going to a school cafeteria for stuff, and then it was just kind of like, oh, here we go, here comes to meeting again. There was a lot of thought put into today, you know what I mean. And I think that's kind of symbolic of the whole thing as a whole.
Speaker 6: Yeah, this is just one day and they're a year long operation. So if everything is running so smoothly here and so well done today, it tells me that every day, whatever they have going on in their meetings and everything behind the scenes, that all that's in a row, and every being very intentional with that too.
Speaker 5: Yeah. I mean when you to me, the big things in life are determined by the little things, right. So you remember many years ago, Drew when I would be like, we have a post every hour, and it would probably be like seven oh five and there wouldn't be a post, and I'd probably call and go, where's the post? And I'm sure people go, it's five minutes. Calm down. But there was a there was a detail part. Let's get the details right and then everything else will work. I get the sense that's how these guys are, that they are like, let's get the small stuff right and then the big stuff will work after that.
Speaker 7: And that's not just steying. Everybody underneath him seems to be there.
Speaker 5: I agree, Kurt Signetti. I've been reading about Indiana. That's what he is, right, Like, he's like, you get the details right. You know, it's the theory we've about the broken windows theory of policing, which some people don't like. It's a conservative theory. I actually agree with it. You're in a neighborhood and you see broken windows or you see graffiti, and you think to your self, else, well, nobody cares about anything here, correct, So I can do whatever I want. You clean up the graffiti, you you fix the windows, and it looks like this is a place that's nice. This isn't a place for havoc. Right. I think the same thing's true about a football program. You do the details, the uniforms look good, you've put a new code of paints, you put good food places, et cetera. And all of a sudden, everybody wants to upgrade to the environment where they're in.
Speaker 7: And I think the football program needed that. I agree, boost it got. I think they got a little stagnant. Stagnant's a great word. Yes, I think the whole thing.
Speaker 5: Towards the end of the cal air, the basketball program is stack. Towards the end of the Stoops air, the football program is stacked. Towards the end of the Barnhart area, A lot of the athletic department stuff was stack. Yeah, it feels like that sort of injecting the boost I think is needed. And you could kind of feel that Drew today in a way that I think has been interesting to watch.
Speaker 6: Yeah to that, I said, for many years it felt like they just run on autopilot over there, like let's do it just yes, that's the there's ideas and just working hard on everything and also just with the players and the coaches, the well Stein's got the little bit of arrogance, but there's a quiet confidence. This for many years is let's go see what we can do. Let's go to work. Well, maybe we'll surprise everyone. This is like no, we're good, and we're good, ready to go show it.
Speaker 5: I like it. Well, listen, thank you all very much. Thanks to UK for setting us up here U at media Day, and thanks to all the folks in Lexingon. We've been doing this at this place now to the last three days. Let's just keep coming. Uh three pm. ESPN Radio would love to have you for the first one. Also follow the new Instagram Matt and Myron. I don't I don't like the logo ESPN Dia logo.
Speaker 7: I don't like it.
Speaker 6: You can get that fixed as we need. Ryan's journalism to move from this chair to everybody.
Speaker 5: Do you think you can be what you are here in the studio?
Speaker 7: And I'll try, but I'm in my comfort zone here. Media.
Speaker 5: Keep Tom Leach on your belly button.
Speaker 7: We'll do that.
Speaker 6: We'll see your okay, Are five guys ten up?