Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, radio News.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the Merlin Talks Money Market rapp where we talk about the biggest moves in Marcus this week and was driving them. I'm joined Stepics, senior report and author of the award winning Money Distilled newsletter, and joining me while Merrin is out is Morewene conyum more whenas co editor of the Bloomberg Markets Today blog in London and writes about UK assets, economics and markets more generally. Moreena, thank you so much for joining us again, thank you having me well Whenna, thanks for joining me. Now we're recording this in the morning the July eighth Wednesday, so we tell you listen to this. Things may have changed, but hopefully the themes that we discuss are fairly long running. So today we're going to talk about the on again, off again Seize finan I ran, the EA bubble has bossed thanks to Admitter's CEO, and what all of this means for UK markets and your money. The cease fire has been on again and then off again, and at the moment it's off again. I'm sure that we may see fluctuations in that status over the common days, but for no, that's certainly. Can I put the wend up the market a bit?
Speaker 1: It has.
Speaker 3: We've seen quite a big escalation in bond yields thanks to oil price spike following comments from US President Donald Trump as far as he is concerncyes fires over. Of course, there may well be a lot of further developments on that topic.
Speaker 1: But we are seeing some.
Speaker 3: Of the bond rally, you know, really pulling back. Bonds are falling in Europe and particularly the UK as those inflation concerns start to creep back into people's minds, and we're seeing that in central bank bets as well. Those hiking bets are being added to. Today, still only pricing in at the moment one hike from the Bank of England this year, but there's about one in three chances now that there might be a second one, and it's up quite considerably from where we were earlier in the week. So at the moment that's the trajectory. But I think what it really shows is that there is still a lot of volatility and a lot of uncertainty, and i'd say for the last month or so, the market has started to be pricing in a degree of stability, thinking this ceasefire is going to hold and that the second half of the year would be one of lower oil prices and improven We're still not back where we were, but I think it thinks they are a lot less settled than perhaps had started to be deemed the case.
Speaker 2: It's interesting because, I mean, I think the thing that's always struck me, struck me since this began is that on the wine hidh and it's not always it's not a good idea to second guess the market, but at the same time, the level of complacency and sort of faith that this would all kind of come out in the wash. I mean, the fact that oil prices were down to where they were at the start at it's conflict back at the end of February. I mean, I'm sure that this is just another phase in the ongoing kind of saga, and it will be all sunching and roses again at some point. But I guess it's this point about how markets really haven't considered the potential downside here, although maybe getting a bit too comfortable with the idea that it was all going to be okay, and hence they kind of slightly kind of the big reaction to today at it not being it's actually not all over.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely, I mean I think there's perhaps an element of complacency, as you say, I think there was also an element of the we've had a few weeks of things seeing seeming steadier, but that followed, you know, months of quite extreme volatility with quite big swings on every comment, and actually that those moves got smaller, and whilst we have seen a sizeable reaction today, it's nothing compared to at the beginning of the war. So I think markets they've permanently priced in a certain degree of volatility now, but very interesting to see. I think where we go from here now that uncertainty question is back in there and in other areas of markets of course, so we are seeing bigger fundamental shifts which are also impacting some of the moves. So inequities that we're seeing beyond the sort of or again off again Iran wre situation.
Speaker 2: Well, because this is also the EI bubble story, seems to be a know up Elsie can't time these things, is they had to tell there does seem to have been a bit of a sentiment tipping point. I mean, I don't know what you think, but I think meta, So like the Facebook boss last week coming out and saying effectively that are not even to be fair, they hinted at it. They said, Okay, so we're building all this capacity in order to create an AI, but actually we might end up just renting it out to other people because you know, that'll make us some money in the meantime. And you get the sense that markets took that to mean, way, I'm in it, you know, because the thing the bow gay Man everyone's waiting for is we've built too much of this stuff and now we need to monetize it. And if Meta are turned around already and saying, okay, we're building all this stuff, but effectively we're not going to need it, so we rented to someone else. I think it's sort of like appears to have made people in the market think twice about their exposure to semiconductors and chipman you factor of us, I mean, Jane, and that is kind of sort of fear somebody.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I think there's definitely been a bit of a reassessment and people looking along with supply chain. So where we'd seen a lot of the focus those high growth sort of chip making stocks, the data centers that has been on such a long rally. I think the question was always how far can this go? And maybe we're starting to get a bit of that answer. We still have days of rallies, but we are increasingly seeing the sort of reversal. We're seeing a pivot in trading patterns and people looking for value elsewhere. So it's still in the tech space, but who stands to benefit from other parts of the AI trade and some of the sort of more traditional tech companies even you know, seeing Ali barbars oring in China rather than Samsung, and we are seeing a shift, I think, and whether that's going to continue in a linear fashion or we're going to see a bit of back and forth. But I do think there's definitely been rotation starting and some sentiment changing, and that is obviously weighing on global equities because it's been where so much.
Speaker 1: Of the power has been.
Speaker 3: There are pockets which can be resilient to that, and that the UK is one of them.
Speaker 1: We don't have much exposure to tech.
Speaker 3: We've been missing out quite a lot, but on days where you see still off. In fact, the last two days one of the worst performing sectors in Europe has been technology and the UK, particularly the foots one hundred is only very slightly exposed to that with some sort of funds, meaning that even if it falls with the global broader sentiment, it's actually been outperforming peers.
Speaker 1: It's also, of course supported.
Speaker 3: By some fairly heavy weight oil stocks like BP and Shell, so the Iran conflict escalation or potential escalation certainly plays into its hands as well there. But it's certainly a time i'd say, where people would be wanting to look at diversifying, and diversifying is paying off and not having all of your eggs in one very specific type of tech basket.
Speaker 2: Yeah, arguably, I guess in this context, the Yuki is a defensive market. Whereas you know, if you're looking for something to opposite your your South Korean costs exposure, which has been up and down like a yo yo, because it's basically two stocks, I guess kind of the UK looks more appealing to people. The other big thing this week was the bed for easy Jet, which is obviously a big name consumer brand, you know, even if it's not the largest company and the food see so a private equity company that's come along and decided that bed for this and it seems to be going through and I guess the question is is it going to be a point at which, you know, this sale off of the UK as a whole kind of comes to some sort of end, or we're going to see the IPO pipeline pick up. Because someone actually put it very well on the Ft the it's a ratio of twenty seven to one in terms of the value of stuff vanation from the market and the value of things coming in to replace it are then hence I so I was reading that perhaps in the next six months, in the second half of the year, as long as there's a bit less volatility, we make it a few more additions, you know, in the IPO pipeline. But I guess if if what we're seeing right now continues, that make it pushed back yet again.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean, there are a couple of companies that have been discussed as potentially IPA can that I think Virgin Active was one of them. But overall, you know, we've seen two trends. One is UK companies being acquired because to our point about the foots generally underperforming in a way, they are so much cheaper, so they are seen as good value when they're very attractive to overseas buyers. Unfortunately, that also means that when companies are looking at where which market they're going to list in, they potentially see more potential gains from listing in the US. And I think, you know, when you look at actual performance, that can vary because you can certainly be a bigfish in a small pond, or you can potentially be overlooked. But there's a lot more investor activity. One interesting thing I think it was last week was Robin Hood CEO was talking about trying to get people in the UK.
Speaker 1: It's a retail.
Speaker 3: Investment more and you know that could help potentially if there's more of an investment culture in the UK. At the moment, UK companies aren't even owned predominantly, you know, by UK holders, So I don't think we're going to see a massive shift in that.
Speaker 1: But of course, if we see a.
Speaker 3: Fundamental change in evaluation ratios, then we might see less M and A and more listings here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I suppose that's the thing, because I mean, the Robin Hood thing is interesting because the FCA has relaxed the rules about financial advice so in order to make it more feasible to give beginner investors the kind of very basic stuff that you know, people in this office, you know, personal financial others right about all the time. But the companies themselves are not allowed to see that to people because it's sort of like it has been deemed as being too much like personal advice by the regulatory regime. But that is getting to relax. So we interesting to see if that can put a dent in the kind of UK investors kind of you know locked, and to see if a law I still think tax stuff with body help.
Speaker 3: It was about I was about to say it is a lot easier well certainly taxation wise to buy foreign docks to the UK stock markets detriment you know, things like capital gain sacks do. That's been something that's been discussed and I think that will probably continue to be in the conversation. If the government, whoever is leading it, want to continue this push to make us a nation of investors not just savers, that there's going to have to be some more sort of attractive incentives. So certainly people don't want to feel financially penalized for investing in UK companies instead of foreign wants.
Speaker 2: Yeah, can they get the distant duty. But there is one osade we were discussing just before you came on to the coincident and the activity from outsied in the UK, and that's that it may be responsible for the pond being surprisingly strong this year.
Speaker 3: It has been suggested that it's at least helping. The pound is actually I was just checking that the third best performing major currency so far this year, which is quite surprising when you consider that the dollar has benefited from the US Iran war, which would normally weigh heavily than the pound. It's weighed on all peers. But also we've had this sort of domestic political turmoil. I mean, our Prime minister has just resigned. As yet the successor is not absolutely set in stone and what they will do is quite largely unknown, which when you look back over the last few years at how the pound has suffered as a result of economic uncertainty, concerns about what Rachel Reaves was going to do, even though she set out her plans, it's quite surprising that it's been unbelievably unruffled. One of the suggestions is actually that there's a lot of inflows as a result of foreign companies investing in UK assets, particularly company takeovers. They're both attractive for that, but it is supposive of the currency too.
Speaker 2: Okay, so if we get the stock market working again, we may have to contend with a week er pound. Okay, I think I think that's a price that I'm willing to pay. Thanks very much more when I really appreciate your time. As always, thank you, thanks for listening. This week's Marlton Talks Money Markets Wrap. If you like a show, rate the view and subscribe. But if you listen to podcasts and be sure to follow me and Marren on x Man's at merin sw and join Underscore Stepic. The episode was produced by Summer, Sadi and Moses and questions and comments on the show and all our shows are always welcome. Our show email it is Melon Money at Bloomberg dot Net. A special thanks to more when at Conium