Speaker 1: What's up, everybody.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to another episode of Bucko Territory, presented to you Vibe Foul Territory Network.
Speaker 1: I'm Noah Hiles.
Speaker 2: Joining me as always are my co host platinum Key aka Mark and Josh Harrison.
Speaker 1: We got a big show for you today.
Speaker 2: The Pirates go three and three on a trip out west, probably one of their more winnable road trips on the year, and they're coming off of avoiding.
Speaker 1: A sweep against the always daunting and tough to beat Colorado Rockies. So we're gonna talk about that. We're gonna talk.
Speaker 2: About the state of where they are this year and if they should by at the deadline. We're gonna talk some catchers as well. There was a trade since we last recorded. We'll talk about that, We'll talk about Henry Davis, and then we will always wrap it up like we do on Monday with platinum Key's Key of the Week. So, guys, I know when every fan watching this show sees that question, should they buy, It's a no brainer to them, right, Like of course, you add, right, like this team needs help, it needs to get better. I see how That's why I see the way they feel on that right But if you look at this from an objective standpoint, do the.
Speaker 1: Pirates really deserve further investment right now now?
Speaker 2: If you're trying to win, Sure, But like I'm asking from like just an overall baseball standpoint, because in a lot of ways you're paid to evaluate what is best for the organization. Is what they're going to add at the deadline, Because let's be realistic, I don't expect them to add Yard aunt Alvarez or Trek Scubele or Erotis Chatman.
Speaker 1: So let's just assume they add.
Speaker 2: You know, two war worth of value the deadline. Is that enough to get this team to the playoffs?
Speaker 1: And if not, I mean what what?
Speaker 2: Why would you bo? I'll open up the Florida either one of you guys.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'll start here just because I think it matters. Like those two War players where they fill in. If you're adding two War to this bullpen, I feel a little bit more confident. But if you're adding two War anywhere else outside of the bullpen, that that made me make me a little apprehensive as far as their chances. And I get what you're saying, no, because you look at like the series against Colorado and this team. Are they built to, you know, go deep, like beyond just making the playoffs. And I think if it was any other team, a lot of teams would just be like, you know what, this is in the year. We'll wait and invest next year with improvements to all of our young stars. But this is the Pittsburgh Pirates and a fan base that has been starved just for a modicum of success like this. People are still talking about the twenty thirteen wild Card game, right, and not to diminish the accomplishments and like how awesome that game was, but this fan base needs a reminder that this team can win and can do that. And you only have so many years with Paul Skins. Obviously, now we have counter Griffin locked up, so that window is at least a little extended with Griffin, But the window to win with Skiings is so limited that I feel like you have to try this year. And it might not be worth it for any other team, but it would be worth it for I think this Pirates franchise and especially this front office.
Speaker 4: And I'll pig you back off of that, just to go a little bit off of that.
Speaker 5: You know, as a player, you know you have you're going to be realistic about where you are, you know, as a team and where you stand in a division wherever that is. But at the same time, when you know you're just in a little bit of the thick of it, you know, maybe just in a little bit.
Speaker 4: Of a hunt.
Speaker 5: Obviously where they stand right now, division doesn't look like it's gonna be you know, possible. But at the same time, we know what I think, eight and a half games anything can be. But I'm looking more at the wild card. I think there's a mix of quite a few teams that are you know, that one one and a half game, and you know there's a lot of teams that are gonna be having that same conversation, you know, do we add and if we do, how much do we add vices verse? You know, there's gonna be some teams that's just gonna stand pat But you know, just looking at the you know what Mark said with Pittsburgh, obviously you have Paul schemes, you got Connor, but uh, with them being a game game and a half, you know, around that wildcard, you still don't have a fully healthy team. You know, sometimes teams look at you know, guys coming off the injured list as you know, trade deadline because you're getting something that you didn't have. So in that case, Mark, when you're saying if they are to add a piece, I think obviously bullpen is where they're gonna need to add. And if they are in this situation to say if we are going to spend money, obviously you have to look at the bullpen because you look at O'Neill and connor being gone. You could also say we're buying when those guys get healthy.
Speaker 4: But at the same time, you.
Speaker 5: Also know that you know time is ticking and those guys aren't there right now, so you still need to think about if they're not there.
Speaker 4: But we know offense isn't the issue.
Speaker 5: Even with those guys being out there have still found a way to you know, put some runs across. So the question is going to be remained is you know you around that wild card game or you know that that one one and a half game range.
Speaker 4: How aggressive are you going to be?
Speaker 5: And obviously with the Pirates obviously spending a lot more money than they have in the years past to start the season, no I get why you say, like is it worth it? But Mark, on the flip side, you only got so many years of Paul schemes in this, so they're in a tough spot. So as a player, it's like should you buy you know you asked. Most of the guys are going like, man, we got what we need here when we're healthy. But at the same time, you know, you know, you're a few pieces here they're missing. So if they're gonna have to get creative because if you're within that wildcard, you have to be able to say that.
Speaker 4: We're trying to win.
Speaker 5: And you know, I think for this team to try to win, I think it's more about getting some book pen pieces that are going to help you and you have to try to do your best with that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just look at it. I don't think I have an answer one way or the other.
Speaker 2: I mean, like what I like to see them by, Yeah, what I like to see them by? Absolutely, because it it's more fun, right, It's more fun to write about a team that's going for it. It's more fun for the fans, it creates a better atmosphere in the ballpark.
Speaker 1: It's just more enjoyable to write it.
Speaker 2: But like if I am in the Pirates' front office, I'm just letting these next couple weeks play out and figure out what's gonna happen here, because I mean, the reality is there's three and a half games to separate eight teams. And when I read down the list of these teams Cardinals, Phillies, Cubs, Padres, Marlins, Nationals, Diamondbacks, Pirates, how many of these teams are The Pirates better than They're not better than the Cardinals, They're just not Like I've been waiting for the Cardinals to fall apart all year.
Speaker 1: They're not better than the Phillies. So those are two teams that are just better than you. The Cubs. I mean, the Cubs won the division last year, or no, they did, but they made.
Speaker 2: The playoffs last year. Padres are a playoff team last year. Marlins are one of the best teams in baseball this month. The Nationals Diamondbacks, I mean, I don't know how good they are, Like I think the Pirates are probably in that tier, but they're they're part of that.
Speaker 1: Like next tier out right now.
Speaker 2: And I know they're a little banged up, and I know, I mean, it's not my money. I don't care how much of Bob Nutging's money gets spent. Like I think that that's great, but it's just like, realistically speaking, it's like, what are you looking to achieve here?
Speaker 1: Are you looking to just get to the playoffs?
Speaker 2: And how much help do you need to even get to the playoffs, because like if you can add you know, if you had the crystal ball, and it's like, all right, you just trade a couple of double A prospects outside your top ten and you can get a couple of solid relievers Connor Griffin and O'Neil Cruz get healthy.
Speaker 1: This team wins eighty five games, it's the final wildcard team.
Speaker 2: Everyone's happy, obviously you do that, but like, right now, to me, like I think this team needs a little bit more than just a little help, and I'm not I'm not sure it's smart to trade away any prospect in your top ten this year because it's like what if you do that and you don't even make the playoffs? Because I don't think they're a playoff team and I don't think they're one good player away from a playoff team. I used to think that, but just watching them this month, then I know again they're missing Griffin and Cruise, but it's been bigger than that, So I just still.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I think the number one objective that would be on my mind is find someone to get Ozuna if you can get that payroll off your books, even if it means pairing him with a prospect, which happened with Larryano. I believe in sixteen they traded Frankie or yeah, it was in sixteen they traded Lariano with a prosper Rice Maguire Yeah to Toronto.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And like, sometimes you have to do that, and that to me is the.
Speaker 2: Better route because A, I think he's just You're just a better team if he's not on the roster. And b now you have twelve million dollars that you don't have to ask Bob Nutting for because he already gave you that twelve million dollars, so you can reallocate.
Speaker 1: That and it's a lot easier to get your team better.
Speaker 2: I just like just having covered the team, and I'm not reporting anything, it's just going.
Speaker 1: Off of it. Like it felt like they've already.
Speaker 2: Invested in a comfortable amount for this organization into this and I don't think they've proven to.
Speaker 1: Be anywhere near good enough to ask for more money. Again, I hope.
Speaker 2: I'm rop I hope Bob Nudding gives them plenty of more money to spend and they go out and they get Trek Scugle, a Rhotis Chapman, they trade everyone. But like, I just don't think this is a club that's been good enough to deserve that type of additional investment. Yeah, if you're looking at things objectively, so that's.
Speaker 1: All I see it.
Speaker 2: You can be to me in the comments on Twitter about what I just said, and that's okay, We're gonna take a quick break.
Speaker 1: Oh did you have anything yet?
Speaker 3: I was just going to throwing that if the Pirates do go on to run here so trade deadlines August third. Obviously there's that group of eight teams all in the NL wildcard rates. If things clarify, the Pirates gain an advantage, some teams fall off. They do have like the prospects to make these big moves. I mean, I don't know if you want trade and Edward Florentino orz but for this team, not for not for the but I mean they do have options if those.
Speaker 2: Are guys that you trade when you're a player away from the World Series.
Speaker 1: This team's two players away from go ahead.
Speaker 5: Josh, No, I was gonna say, the team has to put themselves in a position and make yeah, like, yes, you got to put yourself in a position to say, like.
Speaker 2: If they were the first place team in the Wildcard, I still wouldn't be considering trading Florentino or Cethernandez.
Speaker 1: Like that's a move you trade that. Again, that's like we are one big player away the World Series.
Speaker 2: They are in no scenario are they ever going to be better than the Braves or.
Speaker 1: The Dodgers or the Brewers. They're just not.
Speaker 2: Their ceiling is being the fourth best team in the National League. They're not even close to that ceiling right now. So I mean, I'm at a point where it's like I don't know if I would trade I don't.
Speaker 1: Even know who their number ten prospect is right now, but.
Speaker 3: Like yeah, got Sanford or something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like I mean maybe, but like it would have to be for somebody with multiple years of control. I don't know if I'm thinking just about twenty twenty six, which again isn't probably how Ben Sherrington's thinking. It's definitely not how the fans are thinking. Yeah, but like in a pure baseball sense, I just don't.
Speaker 1: We've watched this team play like I don't know how many games.
Speaker 2: We're almost halfway through the season now, and they've just proven to be average.
Speaker 1: So we're gonna take a quick break.
Speaker 2: When we come back, we're gonna talk about something that has not been averaged. It's been a way below average. It's the catcher position here on Bucco Territory.
Speaker 6: You know why I are enjoying this minute because we're happy, Krats. We're happy because we're wearing mac welded.
Speaker 7: Yes, I'm six foot five and nobody can give me tall clothing, but mack Weldon allows me to have it. So I don't really have to care about how I look, and I still look good Because I don't put a lot of time into what I do to pick out my clothes. Mac Weldon takes care of it for me.
Speaker 6: Classic always in style made from the world's most comfortable performance materials. Summer gets sweaty, don't let unnecessary sweat spots emerge. Mack Weldon's air Knit X fabric helps you out. Their lightest fabric is fused with nylon mesh for maximum airflow. Skip the midday wardrobe changes the barely there feel also keeps you feeling more dry and fresh. Don't sweat the heat this summer. Feel as effortlessly.
Speaker 1: Cool as you look.
Speaker 6: With Mack Weldon, go to Mackweldon dot com and get twenty percent off your first order of one hundred and twenty five bucks or more with promo code foul. That's m A C K W E L d O N dot com code foul.
Speaker 2: All right, backstop talk is what this segment is named. And we've got us have some talks because right now, guys, I was talking with a friend who works in UH for another team in their baseball operations office, and I say, or I asked him, I said, if you were the Pirates heading into the offseason, what is your number one area that you're addressing. I was expecting infield depth. I was expecting bullpen help, maybe even starting pitching. He said, if I were running the Pittsburgh Pirates, I would be looking for a starting catcher. And I actually really like that take, because in reality, listen, I feel like I've been someone who's defended Henry Davis more than most in the Pittsburgh media. Not to say that like he's I never said he was like an amazing player or anything. But I said, I don't care about Henry Davis's offense as long as he's good defensively, as long as he's getting the best out of Paul Skeens and Mitch Keller and whoever else they pair him with, that's where his value comes into play. Well, right now, Paul Skeens isn't pitching to the best of his abilities.
Speaker 1: Right now, Henry Davis is a negative war player.
Speaker 2: And there's a difference between being a number two catcher defensive specialist and being a total nothing at the plate. Right now, Henry Davis, I don't even need to look it up. I mean, I think he's hitting below one forty.
Speaker 1: That's yeah, it's one thirty six. Josh, when you were playing, you had teammates who were pitchers that had a better batting average than that. People who did not even.
Speaker 3: Work had a better batting average thing.
Speaker 1: By like sixty to seventy points.
Speaker 2: Like Hedges was under two hundred, but like, I don't think he ever got below one fifty, and one fifty is like unacceptable.
Speaker 3: But against his edge, eighteen hits, eighteen hits the entire season, and.
Speaker 2: Hedges is one of the best defensive players of any position pounds for pound in baseball, so you're getting value there. Again, Henry is a below replacement level player, hitting like worse than Madison Bumgardner did in his prime.
Speaker 1: It's it's it's just borderline on it. It's not borderline. It's just unacceptable and.
Speaker 4: You gotta be better.
Speaker 5: And I know it's one of the things we highlighted obviously a lot of times throughout you know, conversations we have we've had about you know, offensive production from behind the plate, and oh man, if these guys can just you know, get the staff through and you know, be a rock for those guys being anchor and you know, lead them to the promised land. You know, you guys can hit two hundred well, as you said, one thirties, not two hundred. And like it's not like you're asking for this outrageous production to say we want to seventy with ten to fifteen. It's like, man, you can just hit the mendoz A line. And that's kind of that's kind of crazy saying right now, because before the season I want to say, Noah, you might have even said, man, if he hit around the Mendoze line, I'd be fine, yep, and that's not really like set up a high bar. But I think I was talking to somebody and even diving too the numbers, which is even more alarming to me, which is also goes back to one of the conversations we had is I don't think he strikes out a lot, and that is so it's like, I mean, it's hard, like I get it. Guys go through stretches where it's like, Okay, this dude went oh for twenty this dude w Chris Davis crush had.
Speaker 4: He had one of the weirdest streaks ever.
Speaker 5: You know, So we're not we're not saying that you can't go through these funks, but it seems as if through the course of his career it has always been underperformance on the offensive side.
Speaker 4: And then no, you made a big point.
Speaker 5: To say that his values kind of lie, you know, placed into you know, how he handles the staff and what he does, and when that's not going well, what value does he have? Right and on a team that is already struggling, you know, with health, struggling, defensively, struggling, with pitching behind the plate is the more most important position on that field.
Speaker 4: I've played that is the most important position behind that field.
Speaker 5: Branded you're gonna have guys that go down and you got but you need to have you're speaking of a number two. You got to have a good number two, and you need to have a good number three and number four that just a can pop in and fill in because catchers take a beat him. But if you don't have continuity behind that plate, that is tough. And then if you're not getting much offensive production makes it even tougher because it's like, how do you justify, you know, having this guy in here, you know, or these guys and they're not producing. Like they may be great guys, you know, but like at some point you have to produce. And as I said, it's not to be asked to produce at this All Star level, it's just to be produced to say, hey, you're giving something of value. But eighteen hits at this point the season, with as many at bats as he had, and given his track record, I'm not one to doubt anybody because I've played the game.
Speaker 4: I know it can turn.
Speaker 5: But at the same time, at this point you kind of are who you are, and at what point do they continue to you know, run him out there and not give other guys a chance, or as you said that, one person said they'd be going after a catcher.
Speaker 3: Yeah. And last episode we were talking about Andie Rodriguez stepping up, and I think Andy's a fine backup, you know, number two catcher. Yeah, but I don't know if you can trust him being your starting catcher right now, right so I don't think that's in the options.
Speaker 4: And I don't think so.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And just to really quickly touch on too, we haven't Joey Bart was traded since we were last recorded, and I thought that decision was somewhat intriguing because a lot of people were saying, like, is a time to send Henry Davis down to Triple A? Is that going to solve anything? Do you think like or like Josh said, you know, is this just who he is?
Speaker 1: It's always and real quick on Bart.
Speaker 2: I mean one, they're clearing up salary clearly to add another bullpen orm.
Speaker 3: And I viewed that he's out.
Speaker 2: Of options, and I mean long term value, like Henry is Paul's catcher, so you're not you're not trading him. And Andy Rodriguez is playing the best of the three this year.
Speaker 1: Joey's out of options.
Speaker 2: Joey's just not a good defender, and he's not that great of a hitter right now either.
Speaker 1: And they went and they got a right handed reliever who they're familiar with and who had a decent year with them a couple of seasons ago.
Speaker 2: So I get it, but I do think that, yeah, part of that is get I mean, we've been talking about getting Joey Bart's money off the books for a while now in Pittsburgh, so they finally did that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, So yeah, I just.
Speaker 2: Want to read off some Henry Davis numbers just to kind of contextualize, like how bad it is, because the one thirty six batting average, ironically enough, doesn't.
Speaker 1: Even do it justice.
Speaker 2: His on base percentage is two thirty eight. On base percentage is two thirty eight. That is like unfathomably bad. His career weighted runs created plus is fifty one, so his career, he is forty nine percent below league average at the plate. This year, his weighted runs created plus is forty five, So excuse me, it's fifty one in his career, So he's six percent worse than his career average as a hitter, which is already forty nine percent below league average. So right now, he is producing fifty five percent worse at the plate than an average major league hitter. Just an average major league hitter, I mean. And you can point out the slug Five of his eighteen hits are home runs. His slugging is two eighty so okay, And now let's look at the defense, right because that's his calling card. His blocks above average are in the seventh percent title of Major League Baseball.
Speaker 1: Seventh.
Speaker 2: Now you could highlight like he catches some guys who have control issues. There's no doubt about that. Like anyone who is Johan Ramirez, his catcher is going to have a lower blocks above average than they probably should.
Speaker 3: I wouldn't want to catch.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Mason Montgomery is like I said earlier, he's Archimedes Caminaro, like like just some guys they just don't know where the balls go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So, like that's tough.
Speaker 2: But he's in the seventh percent tile and blocks above average, and this.
Speaker 1: Is supposed to be his thing.
Speaker 2: And now I will give him his flowers, his caught stealing above averages in the eighty six percent tile. He's very good at throwing runners out. His pop, his pop time is one point eighty six second. That is like elite pop time. So he's really good at throwing runners out, but I don't think teams are like stealing a ton, like even attempting when he's not in the game, like not like.
Speaker 1: A thing who has a great pickoff move. And then his framing is in the fortieth percentile.
Speaker 2: So he's a blow league average framer as well, And I know that means a little less now in the ABS.
Speaker 1: Era, but still.
Speaker 2: Especially for a team like the Pirates who doesn't have a lot of challenges because they always blow him.
Speaker 1: Like I just.
Speaker 2: I don't see what he's providing, and he has options, like you can send him down. He still has two minor league options. The thing is, like we've seen that before he goes down to Triple A he crushes Triple A pitching because there's such a large gap right now between major league and Triple A pitching. And I don't know what it means to him if you do send him down like that could just like shatter his confidence, I guess, but it's like what confidence could he possibly have right now?
Speaker 1: Yeah, the dude's hitting one thirty six and again, Yeah.
Speaker 5: Seriously, though, this game is a lot of confidence, and as you mentioned it, yes it might be looked at bad, but it might be just what he need to go down.
Speaker 4: There to get some confidence, you know what I mean?
Speaker 5: Because as you're saying that, I started laughing because it's like, yeah, you hit one thirty six, Like, I get it.
Speaker 4: You gotta fake the funk. I'm the best hitter on the planet. But like, are you really going up there? Like, man, I.
Speaker 5: Hope this is the bat I turned around, but like as you said, man, he's got options, it's not uncommon to go down there and guess what. Even if you go down there and kill it in the game is not the same. It's still you experiencing success to say, guess what. You know what, I know what this confidence feels like, let me take it back up there. Not to say that it's gonna translate, it's gonna do the same thing, but maybe he need a mental reset. Can't hurt see, Like yeah, hey, yes, But I wasn't laughing at what you said. No, it was just it was just kind of spot on because I was like, yeah, confidence is a lot of this game at that level, and you're right walking up at one thirty six how much confidence do you have even if you are faking it, Like, at some point, in order to.
Speaker 1: Have confidence, you have to have something to lean on.
Speaker 2: Again, this guy is a career offensive producer forty nine.
Speaker 1: Percent below league average, right, so what is he leaning on? That's my thing.
Speaker 2: And when you're seeing schemes, Skeens is fine overall, but like Skenes, isn't the schemes that we've seen before, Like the pitching staff as a whole, Like, it's very, very difficult to find one thing that Henry Davis is doing well right now aside from throwing out base Steelers yep, and that is such and it every part of the game matters. But it feels like he is essentially like a guy that you have on your football roster.
Speaker 1: Who's only on the punt team.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like all right, yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like that's what this is. But even the long snapper provides more value than this right now. So I just don't I don't know, man, I don't know what you do with him. It feels like optioning him isn't going to solve anything, because I mean, is Roe Floraz any better?
Speaker 1: Maybe?
Speaker 2: I mean it might be worth it, but like he's certainly not better defensively, So I don't know, and I.
Speaker 5: Don't competition because I mean not necessarily competition, But I mean at some point you, I mean, it's hard to justify sending somebody up there at one thirty six.
Speaker 4: That's just being honest.
Speaker 5: And yeah, I don't, especially if you with all the numbers you've pointed out. But obviously there are some intangibles, probably behind the scenes too, But like, at some point, you still this is a game that you have to produce, and if he's not producing, send him down a triple A with options. Let him get himself together and bring him back when the time is right. And if that time ain't right, then I mean time is to move on. But I mean, if you got an opportunity, you're really serious about putting your best team forward and trying to you have to make these necessary decisions, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: Yes, it's might, but hey, if this is going to make your team.
Speaker 5: Better, Hey, Paul is throwing bullpen, he warms up with a different he warms up with the bullpen catcher.
Speaker 4: He's throwing the different catchers.
Speaker 3: Henry Jas said, could throw to a net and still just absolutely shove so bad marketing on his end.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, But the other part of it too, before we wrap this up, is something that I've kind of noticed, and I might do a story on this, like later in the week.
Speaker 1: It always feels like Paul Skeens gets like.
Speaker 2: The worst lineup of the week when he's pitching, because and they did this to him last year.
Speaker 1: It's under the assumption of, like, all right, well, Paul's only going to allow one or two runs, so let's just play.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's give this is a day off day for guys like Brandon Lao or Ryan O'Hearn. And I'm not saying that that's exactly how it goes because I don't have numbers in front of me, but like it does feel like you see a little bit more of the bench guys playing when Paul's pitching already, and then you combine that with the fact that his personal catcher can't hit.
Speaker 1: He can't even hit half his weight.
Speaker 2: I mean, what do we He's not half his weight, he's like two hundred and twenty pounds, but like still, I mean, it's it's just unacceptable, man, just unaccepted.
Speaker 4: Than overall not good defense.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you know, you're handicapping your team.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 2: As much as we have rained down on Ozuna for hurting this team in all areas, I think it was overdue that we have this talk about Henry Davis and the catcher position as a whole.
Speaker 1: Right now, they have, like.
Speaker 2: I said, I think we said in spring training, it feels like they have four number two catchers.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I don't even know if they have that money now, so definitely don't because they traded Joey away. Anyway, we're gonna take a quick break when we come back. We'll conclude this episode with Mark's Platinum Key of the Week.
Speaker 3: Baseball Fans, the MLB season is in full swing and fangiel is giving you a chance to call your shot with daily dingers. Joining the action is easy. Just make your free pick on who's sitting a home running their game, and if you're right, you'll get a profit boost to use on your next bet for a chance at X for winnings. It's just another reason why FanDuel is the home of home runs. So, Josha, who you have hitting a home run this week?
Speaker 4: Man? I'm going back with my boy b right, I gotta go.
Speaker 3: With another one on Sunday June Brian Reynolds. I said it last time, just a completely different hitter. He's unstoppable right now. I love it. What about you? Noah, who you got?
Speaker 1: I'm gonna go with Henry Davis.
Speaker 3: I love it. I mean we just said, hey, five of those eighteen hits have been home runs, so you know, why not about six? Yeah? Why not six? Yeah? Make a good nineteenth hit, yeah, and I'll finish it off. Another guy. We just mentioned Andy Roger. You guys has and you hit. Yeah, he's got a home run this year, but he's got a couple. Yeah, so hey, I love Andy. He's been making really good contacts. So see him put one over the defences there. All right? So are you ready to play your game? Head on over to FanDuel dot com Slash podcast to get started. That's FanDuel dot com podcast. To opt in for daily dingers and make your free pick on who's hitting a homer, playball and swing for the fences on fanuel, an official partner of Major League Baseball.
Speaker 8: No purchase necessary, opt in required, bonus issue, does non withdrawable profit boost tokens. Restrictions apply, including any token expiration and max wager amount see terms at sportsbook dot FanDuel dot com. Gambling problem caller tax one eight hundred gambler.
Speaker 3: All right, now my key of the week. All right, I'm gonna laugh at that every time, but yeah, yeah, yes, hey, you know it's the key of the week. It needs all the graphics and introduction it could possibly have. So this week's Key of the week, I wanted to highlight Evan Sisk. This bullpen has been and not great, and Evan Sisk has been the one bright spot, albeit in low leverage situations. But he has a one point eight five ERA this year just really adds something different to this bullpen with his arm slot, his extension, the angle that he throws from it, it's just funky and it throws guys off. On Sunday, we saw the Rockies strike out three times against him. Uh one of the Rockies batters swung and miss on the pitch that hit him on his inside foot. Just stuff that you don't really see. I mean, he only throws ninety one miles per hour, so his fastball velocity is seventh percentile in MLB, but his ex ERA this year is expected ERA ninety six percentile expected bat average ninety seven percentile ninety k eight. So I just wanted to give Evan Ciske a little shine because this bull and has been so so bad that it's been easy to kind of overlook the one bright spot. Uh So my key of the week with the Jerry Jones injury, now might I don't know the impact on that. He's initial test came back clear, so who knows if he'll have to it's a starter or not goes long next time. So if this bullfin has to step up, at least we know that Evan Sisk is someone that they can rely on. I'll be in a low leverage situation. So that was my key of the week. This week.
Speaker 2: We're debating if this team should buy at that deadline, and we're highlighting Evan Sisk.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, sure, yeah, Hey he's been good, that's been good.
Speaker 5: Numbers just threw out even though they're low leverage. It might be a situation where hey, hey, what do you have to lose? Yeah, and just to back up some of those numbers, I'm just saying, honestly, what do you have to lose? Especially with the way the wolf has been thrown and you know, watching a couple of his outings. Man, he's got a little funky little cross delivery that that's got a little bit of deception. And I think that's where you know, you mentioned in his velocity was like ninety ninety one, you know, tops, which is like seven percentile. The name of the game is to get out. And if you can pitch and you can locate, and you got some deception, and you know, and you mentioned in those low leverage situations, you know he's coming in situations where he can just pitch, and you know, sometimes guys can work them themselves into you know, mid leverage to high leverage, especially in a struggling bullpen. And then as I said, I watched a couple outs, he's got a little bit of funk and stuff to him to where, hey, that little bit of deception is just enough because one he's lefty, you don't see enough of him. In two he's got a little bit of a crossfire with a little funky angle. So you know, hearing those numbers are definitely encouraging. But obviously we know where the bullpen and stuff is. Why not give this guy a chance. I ain't saying to run him out there in the eighth or ninth inning.
Speaker 4: But you got my situation. If you got a situation that.
Speaker 3: Like going high leverage with him.
Speaker 5: Nah, I mean I mean maybe a situation where like because low leverage obviously you might need to bring him in a situation where hey we need a groundball double play, you have a funky delivery. It might be right he's coming up, but hey, your angle might get this double play. You can't just save them for the you know, seven run deficit or seven run lead, like at some point if he's having this success, he's getting big league hitters out.
Speaker 4: I don't care what the situation is. Give him a chance.
Speaker 5: And as I said that ain't saying throw him in the eighth or ninth inning, but give him a You come in in the middle of a jam, and we need you to, you know, get this this third out right now with you know, second and third two outs might be Hey, what you got to lose?
Speaker 3: Ye kind of yeah, And yeah, you got injuries.
Speaker 1: So I mean I'm looking, I get where you at.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 2: No, I just I mean, I don't want to sound like I think Evan Sisk stinks.
Speaker 1: I just think Evan Sisk is a bullpen version of Bailey Falter. Like that's what. Yeah, and it's just like yeah, like, I mean.
Speaker 2: They already have a left handed, high leverage arm too, Like that's I'm gonna give those outings to soda. And now, I mean, if you want to flop rolls with him in Montgomery, I'm fine with it. I mean, I'm looking at some of the under the hood stuff. I mean, yeah, he reminds me a lot of Bailey Falter in the center.
Speaker 1: It's I mean, it's a lot of fastball.
Speaker 2: It's low v low, but he's in the ninetieth percentile of extension, and the Pirates gets a lot of out of those guys.
Speaker 1: The like it's same thing for Isaac Mattson.
Speaker 2: It's a lot of fastball but good extension, and you could throw it slower, but if it seems like you're throwing it halfway down the mound, then it's harder to hit right.
Speaker 1: So I get that.
Speaker 2: I'm looking now, like we talked about him facing Righty's I mean, he throws his curveball thirty seven against right handed pitching. His curveball is his best pitch as far as run value. I think it's a three, which is pretty good. So yeah, I mean he's got a three run value on the the change up is Yeah, he throws the change up. It's like a league average pitch against righty's. He's yeah, righty's, he's he's using the change up eighteen percent. So yeah, he's laying off.
Speaker 4: That's what I was thinking.
Speaker 2: That's what yeah, I mean, it seems like under the hood, he could be a decent option. It's just kind of like, again, real teams aren't considering a player like this for such a high leverge, like he belongs in the major league bullpen. I'm not saying that, but it's like, if you want to be serious, it needs to be someone bigger than Evyansisk right now, that's just because if he fails, then what right, because guy, he's that old role. Yeah yeah, you put him back in his old role, and who knows. Like we talk about confidence, this.
Speaker 1: Guy like some of his.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, you throw him out there and he blows two saves in the same week and he's getting booed by the home team fans. Now he's not comfortable pitching in any situation. So like I get it, like you got.
Speaker 1: To throw who you gotta throw, But like.
Speaker 2: We've seen what happened like they tried that with Wilverdo tell like they they try to push these guys into situations they're not ready for and they're just not ready for that. So I would hate to see that happen Evan six too, but they'll probably do it because they don't have another choice.
Speaker 1: Guys, any final thoughts before we wrap.
Speaker 3: It up, Josh, anything for you?
Speaker 4: Uh you want me to start? Yeah?
Speaker 5: Final thoughts is, uh, they got out of their three three over over the you know road trip, which isn't bad against winnable teams, but uh, you know, come home and get started on the right foot. But for those that are watching this, be sure to tune in Monday for a special episode the Foul Territory where.
Speaker 4: I will be co hosting.
Speaker 5: So as this episode is airing, I will also be airing, you know with the Foul Territory Network one of three tomorrow or today, as I should say to mother shows. So that's one of my final thoughts. What about you guys.
Speaker 3: Just staying busy in retirement? Hi, Josh, can't keep this guy off to the air. I love it. I just want to remind everyone if you've stuck around after thirty plus minutes here to make sure you hit that subscribe button. We're trying to get to three thousand subs halfway there, and appreciate the support along the way. Also, make sure to check out the Bucket Territory merch Store. Some high quality stuff stitched like quarters up really nice. Make sure you're showing up to P and C Park looking fresh in all of that, and appreciate the support.
Speaker 2: My final thought is happy belated Father's Day to all the fathers who are watching this who have impacted our lives, especially my dad.
Speaker 1: Shout out to you.
Speaker 2: I know you're watching the show while you're having your breakfast before you head to work, so thank.
Speaker 1: You for watching and supporting me as always. And yeah, just happy Father's Day to everyone.
Speaker 2: A good dad can do a lot of the world, and uh, you know, I had a really good one, so shout out to him, and shout out to all the good dads out there.
Speaker 4: So yeah, happy Father's Day at all father's out there. My dad, Big Evince, appreciate you and I had to follow you up on that.
Speaker 5: No, appreciate you reminding everybody.
Speaker 3: Today, so he's not going to be listening, so thanks dad. He's on the l yeah. Yeah, he's on the I L for Bucket Territory listening chip right now.
Speaker 4: Yeah, speed of recovery.
Speaker 1: We came out and get him back, all right. For Platinum Key and Josh Harrison.
Speaker 2: I'm the Ohio signing off saying thanks for tuning in to another episode of Bucco Territory, presented to you by the Foul Territory Network.
Speaker 1: Take care,