Speaker 1: And that's what you really missed with Jenna.
Speaker 2: And Kevin An iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 1: Welcome to you, and that's what you really miss podcast.
Speaker 2: I love these days Q and A j No because I got to spend them with you, Jenna.
Speaker 1: Liar and a Q hire any Q and a Jay.
Speaker 2: I Look, the more Q and A's we do, the more creative you have to get with the questions you're asking. And it's it's working.
Speaker 1: You're coming like it hot, like that's I'm really I'm here for it. I'm ready to go. I want to do as many as we possibly can.
Speaker 2: Okay, rapid fire. So our friend Santanna's Breadstick gave us some really hot ones. So we're gonna let's just go through these real quick. Shout out to Santana's bread Stick. If you don't follow her on Twitter, get on it. So the first question some cast members release music or albums during their time on the show, show we're all over interested in making your own soul music during the show, Kevin, you were, Yes, I was interested. I did record like forty songs. Oh that's crazy with Columbia one summer because I made like two songs that they really liked. Keep going and we all Denia did, Darren did, Leah did. Obviously she put out albums Amber, Amber, But what happened was for a lot of us was that we didn't have the time to commit to promoting the music if it ever were to come out, So then they didn't necessarily want to invest in doing that. I think Lea being like a big star, there was obviously more draw, Yeah, more draw and so like they were willing to do that, and she could work it out scheduling wise, but yes, we all tried for a bit. Didn't necessarily work out for all of us, but it was a great experience. Learned a lot, and I have a lot of demos that I listened to that nobody will ever hear.
Speaker 1: I need to hear more of these. I didn't think I knew about your forty songs.
Speaker 2: I mean a lot of them are not good. Well, you know, you got to just keep making music. It was just not I was finding I was singing about girls. I remember paying a various song and he was like, oh, it's a good song, but yeah, I don't know what I'm doing right.
Speaker 1: Right, right, Okay, we'll scratch those When doing duets or group songs, were able to hear how others did their parts, and did that ever make you change the way you sang your part to match their vibe. No. We all recorded very separately at very different times, and the first time we usually heard each other's solos or recordings was when we hear the final mix. Yes, we would record to the demo singers right. Unfortunately, it probably would have affected it a little bit. We didn't have the time right exactly exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so we matched. We matched our demo singers who were perfectly laid out to match their demo singers. And I'll just put together like a beautiful puzzle. It was a machine, not a question. But I do think y'all should go on the amazing race. We've talked about this before we're down.
Speaker 1: We're down.
Speaker 2: I would do it with Jenna in a heartbeat.
Speaker 1: I would do it with Kevin. I'd be scared because I don't know where I am ever, really really good with directions, see, and then maybe we would be a good Okay, you are really good directions, so you never have to look at your GPS, but.
Speaker 2: I'm not good at anything else.
Speaker 1: Kevin needs like eight and a half hours of sleep with like a full stomach, like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I get really angry, don't do well.
Speaker 1: But like I hear on the Amazing Race, I have friends who did it who have lost who lost like a lot of weight on it, and like we're very stressed and it was like very stressful. So I don't know. Okay, Why are some studio versions of songs different from the TV version? For example, Puck sing's on the TV version of Get What You Get, but the studio were released for It's Chord interesting.
Speaker 2: I would think it would be because story wise, they needed a certain character to do something and right, yeah, and maybe Chord recorded the I don't usually it's about story. No, it didn't happen often, but if it did, it was usually story related, and so the version would be done like Chord would have recorded his version because sometimes you know, the music department and this I don't know, the writing departments are not in full communication over those nuances, right, And so it could have been a thing too where like in hindsight, Mark could have been liftinking to Chord's part because they realized they needed Buck to be singing that and then gone it into just record it and just use it for the TV version because the other version was locked. I don't know, but usually it was story related. Did y'all ever coordinate outfits for events because it always looked like we're going to different events in the early days.
Speaker 1: No, that's why. Yeah, we also like didn't have the money to like hire stylists and things, so it was like usually coming out of our closet or like the cheapest thing you can find at Bloomingdals. So all of our questions, Our outfits on ric carvers were questionable, especially in the beginning, but continued after that.
Speaker 2: For sure, Ryan tried to help. Ryan tried to help influence Lou who did costume. She tried to help guide us, but you know, it was like we were we didn't know what we were doing.
Speaker 1: Now we're getting into all the questions that you guys released and wrote in kiss Mary Kill Season one, Tina, Season three, Tina Season FOURTEENA.
Speaker 2: Oh, I think Mary season three, Tina Kill Season one Tina, and kiss Mary season Fourteina. Yeah, that's right, Love season one Tina. But she can't get it. That's a different person. What's an inside joke the whole cast had? Wouldn't the inside joke? If I told you, I will say so. In the Glease episode, Mercedes comes in and is talking to Rachel and says the oh, you guys should go backstage because you guys are gonna love the show because the kids are singing sound and we got zound from is it? Leah and Groff?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I think so.
Speaker 2: They would always say zund instead of down and in the show several times. Yeah, we said it to each other all the time.
Speaker 1: I love that.
Speaker 2: Someone said I was five when I first watched the show. How do you feel about kids watching? I think that's up to the parents. Yeah, there's obviously things that are not appropriate for children. So wow.
Speaker 1: I think the musical numbers, like most of them you could watch on their own, and then you save the storylines for when they're grown and they can decide on their own if they want to watch the show.
Speaker 2: Jenna, would you want to do Broadway again?
Speaker 1: Totally? Duh?
Speaker 2: What show would you want to do?
Speaker 1: It's hard to say because everything now is so it's chaotic. Broadway is chaotic, like there's nothing that makes sense. There's every type of musical right now, but they're all like it's like back to the futures. On and Water for Elephants is on, and I don't know the notebook. It just feels like there's a lot of new content, which is good, but it's also based on movies and a lot of IP like nothing original, and so I don't know. I actually don't know, and I haven't seen anything recently, so I don't even know if there's something like recently that I would do. But I'm also aged out of a lot of the ones that I used to want to do because I'm old.
Speaker 2: You are really mm hmm. Someone said favorite voice Amber.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Naya close Like I.
Speaker 2: I met someone the other day, Jenna, Asian woman, and she said that she was upset that you didn't get to sing more because she was really proud to have like an Asian girl on the show. Yeah, And I was like, the thing is Jenna can sing her face off. She's like, I know, like we got to hear her she sang her face off. She did, It's very nice. You can. Really your voice is one of my favorites. What it is? You don't crazy?
Speaker 1: No, I don't. I actually talked at that. No, but thanks, I get to play I'm my one of my first Glee songs. The other day, my daughter she's obsessed with the ABC's right now. I played her no and afterwards she's like ABC really Yeah? She says ABC all the time, so it's not like that did it. But I played ABC for her in the car and she's like, ABC.
Speaker 2: Did she dance to it? Yes, she does the shoulder dance. She's too young to understand that that's you, right. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I've tried to show her before and she doesn't quite understand. She understands like photos, Now, okay, what was your favorite food from the craft table? On sat? Those doubled eggs in the mornings.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it sounds gross because they're probably sitting out for having it.
Speaker 1: But no, because it was breakfast. They had them and they came from Costco, I think, and they were so I was like, ohways, so chilled when they had them.
Speaker 2: I love them. What was it like filming songs and two times of speed? It was just really hard. You had to do that a lot, Kevin, Yeah, it was difficult, but the challenge was exciting and really fun and I loved doing it because I felt if I could get it, I felt very proud of myself because it was it's almost impossible. Yeah, it's really crazy. Depending on the genre and you know, the artists. It's very hard on a lot of words. If it's very wordy. What happens when an actor directs an episode, but they also have to be in the scene. It's a very good question. They're in the scene and somebody usually watches it for them, and it kind of says because like a director has like set the scene, they've blocked it out, they know what it looks like, and then they are in it and they you know, they probably get to watch it also outside and now you have replay, which we didn't always have ongly, so you can either replay it or you just have somebody trusted there that was like and then hopefully while they're in the scene, they're like, oh, that one felt really good, you know, and their instinctually I think we yeah, what we need and I think they have a relationship with the DPS, the director of photography probably script yeah, and script coordinator if there may be a writer or producer on set. So between that little team people are looking out. If the Trouble Tones reunited, what would your dream number, oh god be to see them do my god, honest, I would love to see them do anything from renaissance. I would like to see them do something from Calbert Carter an't to be honest, Yeah, I think maybe just a Beyonce act one an act to Medley would be really great for me. Yes, I would not be mad at that. I also love the past couple guests we've had on when you ask them about people who worked on the show, you asked them about their favorite things. The trouble Tones have come up every single time.
Speaker 1: Literally, I feel like we all knew this but it was kind of unspoken. But now it's just justice for.
Speaker 2: Trouble Tones truly.
Speaker 1: Did you get the script for season four and season five the full script or only the Ohio scenes?
Speaker 2: The full script? Yeah? Would we read the whole thing? It's a different story. Probably not because usually, I mean it was two shows New York rarely ever had anything to do with my month clip flip flop. What was your favorite moment from one of the many interviews that we had to do. Wow. I usually liked when we would get grouped together, like if me, Jenna, Amber and Chris. There's there's a couple from the UK, like our first trip to the UK where we're just being influenced.
Speaker 1: There's good comic con ones. I like those because you all did those together. And then I also look obviously Oprah.
Speaker 2: Oprah was so special. I also think the when we went on Alan Carr together in the UK was really fun.
Speaker 1: Also, so on tour there was a tour Oh the movie Press. You put us all in a room. They broke Yeah, they broke us up into two and threes, and so sometimes just me and Kevin. Sometimes you meet Kevin and like Amber and they put us in a hotel room. It was a very like small, poorly ventilated hotel room, and then the journalists would come in and out. So you would just sit there the whole day and journalists would come in and out, and you start to go absolutely crazy. We had some real moments on that one that was fun. I like those.
Speaker 2: You know, it's been lightning. If you follow any like entertainment journalists or movie reviewers on TikTok, you see that because you'll see all the different people who interviewers who go into the journalists who go into the junkets. You see the people were in the movie or TV shows sitting in the same spot, and you see how people start to get a little there and crazy. But I feel like it's a really good window into it. It's a very good representation of how it feels. And yeah, I mean there's a really great one. Oh God, I forgot Allison who now hosts Bakeoff I believe her name is, and she interviewed Harrison Ford and Ryan Gosling a couple of years ago and has interviewed Ryan since and they have this really good report and like things always go off the rails and it's great.
Speaker 1: I love that.
Speaker 2: Howard, are you feeling any type of way about recapping season four.
Speaker 1: I'm enjoying it so far.
Speaker 2: I'm enjoying it, and I think since the breakup, I'm just it unlocked some emotional things for me. Or I think I'm just like on the verge. I feel the same the entire time, and I don't know why I feel the same. I totally get it weird. Why is that because there are earlier seasons I didn't have a problem. We're getting close, That's why I think.
Speaker 1: So.
Speaker 2: I know this sounds really dark, but it's close.
Speaker 1: It is what it is.
Speaker 2: When is Ryan coming back? He will be back. We've talked to him, we're trying to get him back, but he's filming about eighteen different shows right now, so he'll be back.
Speaker 1: Luckily, character would win in the Hunger Games if put into oh.
Speaker 2: Man, I want to say Santana or Brittany.
Speaker 1: I was thinking Heather, Yeah, like Heather.
Speaker 2: Harry, Oh Harry.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I think Carrie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Harry might if they'd be unbeatable. Yeah, yeah, it is Chris coming back for the episode. He wrote, we should ask him. We have an ask for sure. We'll see. Also, Chris has another book coming out. Make sure you can look for it. It's like twifty or something. Yeah. Oh, what drink do you think your characters would theoretically order at a bar?
Speaker 1: Do you get like a long Island? I hear something stupid like cat.
Speaker 2: You know, I think Artie would get Oh yeah, I feel like he would like dark liquor. Yeah, not because he necessarily would enjoy, but because he thinks he should. What's the most frustrating memory from set? Honestly, I think the perception of how we all feel about it now is frustrating. I think there's a perception that if we say anything critical about the show, people think we don't like the show. If we say anything critical about the show, people think we're shitting on people that were on the show. So many people that were on that show loved being on that show. And I don't know how many times we've said it, but will continue to say it. Just yes, there were hard times as the show went on, but we all loved doing that and we made great friendships with crew and cast and got to see the world and do unimaginable things together. And obviously there was tragedy and darkness you know, that did happen, but that happens, and we've only grown closer from it and shooting that show, which is so special, Like, we loved doing it and we love the show. It's not perfect, who cares?
Speaker 1: Who cares?
Speaker 2: No show is.
Speaker 1: It was overall mostly joyful, yeah, and all just it's so so overshadowed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think people really just like latched on too, like, oh, there was so much drama and there was so many like there's a curse, Like, no, that's not how we think about the show. I think people who involved in the show do not think about the show in that way now. And if you listened to any of the interviews and people have come on here that you'll know, Yeah, exactly that's just not how it is. That's other people who had nothing to do with the show making up.
Speaker 1: Who don't know.
Speaker 2: That's frustrated.
Speaker 1: I don't know, you don't know. On a lighter note, how do you think the lead characters would have reacted to the new Wicked trailer? Well, you know that the whole Lea cast would have been at that premiere. Oh fully, everyone would have loved it. Hell or high water. I will be it. I will be in a theater on release day?
Speaker 2: Did you love that trailer?
Speaker 1: I I cannot explain the excitement I feel and how beautiful it looks and how good they sound, and like the joy I felt. I there's nobody better suited to direct that film than John.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm really I'm just really really excited.
Speaker 1: Like it is in the best hands. Are you kidding? Like? I have no doubt in my mind this is going to be spectacular.
Speaker 2: And you cast like a bunch of musical theater nerds in it, and that like, who's going to respect those roles more than the people who are obsessed with them?
Speaker 1: I love it. There was like a little trailer that I watched of like John revealing to Ariana and to Cynthia.
Speaker 2: That they is the most ective thing ever.
Speaker 1: Brilliant, but also like at the stage in their careers to cry or to get so excited about a role. I was like, Okay, they they really care like their role, Like they're going to take really good care and they're gonna work really hard, and I respect that. I was like, that is genuine to me. If you haven't seen that, go watch it.
Speaker 2: And it's like that's going to obviously like play into how we viewed the film when we see it.
Speaker 1: When you just forgot it was a two parter, I'm just, I know, disappoint because of course you know it's gonna end w find gravity. Are you kidding?
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I can't wait for the people who don't know that it's a two parter to go like that's it and then black that's it. That was like when we went to see the Harry Potter films and it was Deathly Hollows Part one. I had never seen any of the other films. I knew nothing about the books, yet I didn't know anything about its part one and then the wand into the you know, sky and the lightning, and I was like, that's the end of this movie.
Speaker 2: Jenna.
Speaker 1: If I could go back in time, I would read all the books and watch them in real time because I'm just so disappointed to myself. Yeah, please please go Kevin. What is your favorite thing that Austin is beached for you thus far in this very long relationship.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, he has created the perfect chocolate cake. Oh my god, that's all the perfect chocolate cake. And he made it for my birthday one year. It looked ugly, He's not great on my but the taste unbelievable. So now he has like refined it and has made it better. But it is the perfect chocolate cake. He also, during quarantine was baking all the time and made these like peanut butter and jelly cookies, cookies with like a jelly pocket.
Speaker 1: And I need it, I need it.
Speaker 2: They were unbelievable.
Speaker 1: It's a glee Caska. Matching tatoos. Would you, well, that's already happened, matching tattoos. Did you ever improvise minds? If so, who did the most? No? I have to say everybody is pretty word perfect and if you weren't word perfect, our script supervisor. It changed over the years. But like Babs in particular, like she knew that these writers were actually pretty set on how how the dialogue went and it's Ryan Murphy dialogue, like okay, yeah, and so they really correct you, and you really do your best to get them as close to as perfect as possible or as close to the page as possible, because you know, there's some shows that are like oh, or even auditions, they're like do one on the from the page and then you can go off and like do another one that's like kind of improvised and have fun and make it your own but not ugly. There's also like not a really time for it, like you just have to tell the story and then like make a joke to get out of there. But Heather is the answer, right, and that would also be like Ryan spewing lines at her.
Speaker 2: You like say this, say that Backstreet Boys are in sync. Oh my god, don't make me choos.
Speaker 1: I was a really big in Sync fan growing up, and then I turned Backstreet Boys, and I find myself now in my old age listening more to Backstreet Boys.
Speaker 2: Really, yes, I'm gonna in sync, is my answer. But I do love the Backshee Boys and specifically Aj Aj. Of course, AJ's voice is stupid. Do you think John mulaney could have guest start for sure? Yes, and divs on him being my brother.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, that would have been perfect.
Speaker 2: Who hooked up with who? Nobody? We've never even touched. No, Kevin, please confirm that you and your boy band were in the Brats movie? Yes?
Speaker 1: Oh my god, you were? Were you in it? Are your voices were in it? We performed a number?
Speaker 2: No? We performed? Yeah?
Speaker 1: What what year is this?
Speaker 2: Don't worry about it, Kevin Brat No, put your fingers down, stop typing them into YouTube.
Speaker 1: Just something I didn't know about you guys. That is so crazy.
Speaker 2: I should have left that one.
Speaker 1: That's a good one. Do you ever use the word glee in regular connotations or is the word completely rooined for you never use it in real life? I have like you use the word gleeful.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I try to say it really quickly if I do. Someone said, is there ever a song that you always skip? At least time you've done that? You always skip? Yeah, don't stop exactly always just no fence. It's a great song. It's a great song, can't do it? One of the best. It's now the highest selling single of all time. What Yeah?
Speaker 1: Ever, Ever, that's not possible. Taylor has to pass us. Are you kidding?
Speaker 2: But no, Taylor's not even in the No, no, No.
Speaker 1: No, Elvis, Michael, any of these people.
Speaker 2: The top song, I believe previously was Candle in the Wind, John Well, what the hell that deserves to be at the top. Yeah, lord check me, I believe that's true now. But even if it's close to being trip, it's really crazy. It's just my head around style. No, it's a it's a phenomenal song. Everybody loves that song. Our version, No, not our version, the song in general. Okay, god blast Okay, yeah, okay that our version can tried it to it because it's a cover of it.
Speaker 1: For sure? For sure? They I okay, I'm feeling better.
Speaker 2: You thought our version was the biggest selling single of all time.
Speaker 1: That's why I had a really hard time, right, can't be right?
Speaker 2: What are you? Because? No?
Speaker 1: But that you're the numbers and the music guy and the tarts and all of that, Like I you know, I don't word for it.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, but.
Speaker 1: That really took me through a for a ride.
Speaker 2: So in January of this year, the RIAA, which is when it certifies all these things Recording Industry Association of America certified Don't Stop Believing as eighteen times platinum, meaning it sold eighteen million singles, and then Forbes declared it the biggest song of all time. However, White Christmas has sold fifty million physical copies, so I don't understand, So okay, and let me just say something else. I do think for like these records and things that come out nowadays, there should be an asterisk because like when Thriller came out, all those albums White Christmas, people had to get up out of their house, go to the store, go buy this thing. That's right. That is very different than sitting at home, just like clicking right. Yeah, And so like selling I don't know, five million albums now, it doesn't feel like its equivalent to the effort it would take to sell five million albums in the past.
Speaker 1: But that's just me anobu shitting limits is coming, get ready. I'm so excited that that's coming soon. Couldn't be more excited about that. Sorry, it wasn't a question, but I'm very very excited. No, but I'm very excited. So okay, one last question. Yes, our producer Sam has suggested one and I think she's right. Has the feeling that Glee leaves you with change in starting this podcast, I think it has deepened how I feel. Yes, yes, it's also healed, so maybe it has transformed it for me. I think the overall feeling never really changed for me, like when I actually look at it from you know, outside, But it's become.
Speaker 2: Clearer, yes, definitely, and deepened, and I've really just enjoyed it, to be honest, No, for sure. Thank you. Thank you everyone for writing in. Thank you for taking the time to think of these things. New questions, different questions. They were good. Yeah, sorry we didn't get to answer all of them. They were a lot. You guys rock and thank you again for listening. If you're every week, this is your first time, whatever it is, thank you so much. We appreciate you listening. And that's what you really missed. See you next time. Thanks for listening, and follow us on Instagram at and that's what you really miss pod. Make sure to write us a review and leave us five stars. See you next time.