Speaker 1: Welcome to pod meets Twirled, the Dancing with the Stars recap hosted by two guys who can't dance, don't want to dance, and have now seen exactly four episodes of Dancing with the Stars. But since our best friend Danielle has joined the cast for season thirty four, we're going all in. We are Wilfredell and Ryder Strong aka the two dudes standing next to Tapanga aka Danielle of Fishal's backup aka the Daniettes. Yes, Hello, Will Daniette, Hello Rider dan Yette.
Speaker 2: How are you?
Speaker 1: I'm pretty exhausted.
Speaker 2: Not gonna lie in exhausted, Pavid, I have no idea what's going on?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, there's a lot happen. You're back east right now.
Speaker 2: I'm back east on arguably the squeakiest chair perfect that has ever been podcasted.
Speaker 1: In little Podcasting.
Speaker 2: Awoke in this morning by hearing my parents going, oh my god, downstairs because a giant bear was on our deck looking in our door. Really, yep, that's so cool. I guess they have. I didn't see it by the time. I was like, yeah, they're fine, Uh yeah, but apparently he ate our pumpkins because my dad likes to decorate for Halloween. So it came in and ate the pumpkins and was on our door and that was it.
Speaker 1: That's so cool.
Speaker 2: I love their sit in back East, my friend, right, they're.
Speaker 1: Still around, I'm nevewhere Yeah, all right, shall we get right into Disney night on Dancing with the Stars.
Speaker 2: I don't know if I have the bandwidth for this. Last night was so I was like, so anxious and nervous and it was the worst. I don't know if I'm going to be able to make it to the end of this series.
Speaker 1: I'll what was making you nervous, but the fact that Danielle was in the bottom three and then I don't need that.
Speaker 2: I don't know if she's going home now. That's the other thing I was going to ask. I don't know if anybody knows Danielle or can't get in touch with somebody in her management, but I'd love to get a quote from her about what it feels like to be up there, you know, thinking you might go home, because there was a shot that she could go home last nightka Crop but Alex kept.
Speaker 1: Asking, She's like, does that mean she's in the bottom three? And I was like, no, yes, very clearly state no, yes, say not necessarily the bottom three.
Speaker 2: So no, they said the bottom three, not necessarily in any order as well, they said even Danielle texted last night and said I was in the bottom three. That will never happen to me again.
Speaker 1: Tara, can you weigh in on this. The three people standing on the stage are the lowest three votes.
Speaker 2: But it doesn't mean votes wise.
Speaker 3: She is in the bottom three that used to be previously on Dancing with the Stars, where they used to be an actual bottom three bottom two elimination. They don't do that, so there could be someone else who was safe, who had lower scores all around than Danielle.
Speaker 1: Are you sure about this? Yes?
Speaker 2: Because last night.
Speaker 3: Last night I was actually asked Pasha myself because I was so confused by it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because Danielle texted me last night and said bottom three never again.
Speaker 1: Well she yeah, she doesn't want to be there ever again.
Speaker 2: But right, But so you're saying that she could have had the top scores of the night and still ended up on that stage with the other two couples.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think so. See, I think they could. They're playing mind games with us, man.
Speaker 2: I know they're playing mind games. But they also always seem to be the three couples you think they're going to be or close to it. But'llcased on scoring.
Speaker 1: But to be fair, she may she is one of the lower scores as far as the judges go. That's what I'm saying. You just look at you know, the bottom of like last night scores, she was at the bottom three. So this is a call to everybody out there listening who is a fan of Daniel Fischer and thinks she deserves to stay on the show and keep learning how to ballroom dance. Vote for her. Get out and vote.
Speaker 2: We did. We all noted, my mom, my, dad, everybody, we all voted last night.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I think it's you know, I think it's a it's a call to arms. Vote.
Speaker 2: Also also shows the difference in in going first, like being one of the first couples. I still think is a huge detriment to whoever's dancing. Now we can get into it. Dylan kind of broke that mold a little bit.
Speaker 1: I know, he was great.
Speaker 2: I so when I well, we'll get to it. We'll get when we get to Danielle, we'll get to it. Okay, all right, all right.
Speaker 1: All right. So he started with the big birthday cake on stage and Disney characters everywhere, and all I could think about is the poor luony air guy who had to keep his arms up otherwise he burned the place down.
Speaker 2: Oh god great.
Speaker 1: I'm like, oh my god, the poor guy. I like, my arms started hurting for him, and I'm like, he can't put those down. He might take somebody's face off. Yeah, this is one of the curses when you're around the beast. Yeah. Yeah. The whole Disney thing, it was it was a little much for me. I have to say, like, you know, we're applauding Disney characters appearing. I'm like, really, okay, this is what we're gonna do.
Speaker 2: Perfectly, rider like it was all these things that bring joy, like, we'll do it for me, you know what.
Speaker 1: It just felt here. It felt a little pander into me. It was like, what is what is Disney? What? You know? And then everybody had the same story about going to Disneyland. It was like by the third person being like, I came here when I was a kid. Now I come here with my kids and it's fun. They just kind of.
Speaker 2: Somebody was like, no, I never come here it's ridiculously expensive. Have you seen the lines?
Speaker 1: I mean, that's part of you know, it's It's Last night was when I was, you know, because getting into this show and watching it, you know, it's been a trip for me because I don't watch the shows like this that often. And like that was when I was like, come on, let's do some real stuff because it all felt so scripted and sort of planned, and like all the clips of Disney you know, I prefer seeing them struggling in the studio, like trying to learn how to dance, Like I feel like that's the that's the those are the real moments that I want to see. And instead the show just kind of started, like last week's TikTok commercials started to feel like a big Disneyland commercial and yeah, we all love Disneyland. I get it. Yes, great, we don't have to keep it hitting this over the head over and over again whatever on Disney Night.
Speaker 2: All right, give us the show.
Speaker 1: Second, we never heard the second week in a row where they announced that they are breaking records on voting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, forty million, I think they said, is amazing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, and that speaks to, you know, the star power of people like Danielle on this show, and I agree. I think you know, having not seen any other season, I'm I'm assuming this is a great season. This is a really Now I have a question for you.
Speaker 2: Do you think it's closer to forty million people voting once or do you think it's closer to two million people voting twenty times?
Speaker 1: I have no idea.
Speaker 2: You'd have to check the ratings of the actual show, right right, because I don't think I have no ratings on any TV show or big anymore. Like the biggest thing you get is two, three, four to five thousand, So everybody's voting ten times, that's what I mean ten, But twenty you get, you get ten texting and ten. So it's like, are two million people voting twenty times or five million people? I can't do the math, but you know what I mean, Like, I'm curious.
Speaker 1: All right, let's get into the dances, okay, Dylan and Daniella up first always seems like the worst position to go in. But these two I thought they did great.
Speaker 2: They killed it.
Speaker 1: They killed it.
Speaker 2: I don't understand why he was doing cars while dressed like Woody from a toy story, I know.
Speaker 1: But it made no sense to me. But I I gotta say, first of all, let let's talk to Disneyland for a second. Cars ride wonderful ride, awesome, I mean, just fantastic. I am not a fan of the Cars movies. It's like a huge miss for me when it comes to pisar.
Speaker 2: Oh the first one was great.
Speaker 1: Really, it makes sense to you that cars sitting in an audience to watch other cars go in circles, that who's riding them, who's inside the cars? It doesn't make any sense. What's the point of these cars? Isn't that the equivalent of people standing around watching people race without cars?
Speaker 2: They're watching people run around a track.
Speaker 1: Isn't that brack and field? You know what? Good? Point? Good? I will concede that point, good sir. But it's still just like, why do they need gus? What has happened? I just don't know why these things exist? It's my brain just melted the first time I saw cars. I don't understand it anyway, But a lovely ride at Disneyland's streat more fun than I expected. Great ride, hate on the movie.
Speaker 2: The whole the whole world over there, the Cars world over there is a cool world to run around and I'm just you know, I've.
Speaker 1: Said it since the beginning. I think Daniella is the best dancer in this entire thing. Great, She's amazing. And I just love Dylan. I love him, you loved him. I'm like, I want to be I want to be on a road trip with him after this. I'm like, Dank, you like, I'm not going to rock climb, but I'll watch you, and you know, we just to.
Speaker 2: He's so likable. He's just like this guy like smiling the whole time, and the smiles fully genuine.
Speaker 1: And working hard, like he's learning how to dance. He's getting great. Yeah, this is he's like having the journey that exactly what you're supposed to on this show, you know what I mean. Who maybe is physically active, but it's never danced and you're watching him go through this journey. It's wonderful. So they did the quick Step to Life as a highway fun song. I thought it was pretty pretty fantastic.
Speaker 2: To strong start, really strong start to the.
Speaker 1: Night, no notes. It was interesting. Derek commented on his head like not snapping enough, and I thought, like, well that's a good note. It's a call they gave him seven, eight and eight. I think it should have been eight's across the board. I don't disagree. I think carry Anne was a little harsh tonight. I do too.
Speaker 2: I think she was a little stingy with the paddle tonight. And there's nothing worse than spending a night with the warring stingy with the paddle. So you know it's uh yeah, she's I thought so too. I thought she pulled it back a little bit this week and was the one who a couple times I did not agree with her scoring I'm with.
Speaker 1: You, man, Yeah, she was having an off night for me, all right. Next up Danielle and Pasha. This was great. They did, I think the best song of the night. I want to be like you. Wow, OK, so what really? Really? You don't love this song?
Speaker 2: I'm a I'm a big Life as a Highway fan, so I thought they started pretty pretty strong with Life as a Highway. But yeah, no, I very much liked the song. I would have been there would have been something really great and I had to google it to make sure. I thought there was a chance because jungle Book didn't. The Sherman Brothers write some of the music for jungle Book. Yeah, yeah, so I thought Danielle dancing to a jungle book song written by the Sherman Brothers, where Jeffrey Sherman has been on our show and was one of the writers. That would have been a cool kind of synergy.
Speaker 1: But great song. Now you can't beat this like upbeat, especially great for the quick step. This was they I felt like, Wow, they finally had some really good production design because you know, everybody else has had all these sets and done more sort of interpretive story based dancing, whereas Danielle and Pasha have kept a pretty standard up until now. So I love seeing them in a set, jumping around, uh being bringing more character. And yeah, it was great. I thought it was super fun.
Speaker 2: When I first watched it last night, I did not think it was as good as Dylan's dance.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I could tell that her legs got a little smurgy there, which they pointed out she she messed up a semer a technical dance. It is, well, I try to stay as technical with the dance terms as I can. They got a little skmergye.
Speaker 1: See I didn't really notice, you know, I was just like in it, and then when they pointed it out, I was like, oh, right, I guess she did get out of time or whatever.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I was like, oh, it was okay, But then I watched it again this morning with fresh eyes, and it was great. It really Yes, she she did one step out of step, Okay, great it was.
Speaker 1: You know it's driving her crazy right now. Oh amazed if she could sleep last night, but she was. It was there.
Speaker 2: How between last week and this week and again, maybe not the best dance, but how she hasn't gotten an eight yet I don't think is fair. Yeah, and I know we're biased, but last night she could have gotten an eight on energy and stage presence alone, could have gotten an eight. And it feels like they're judging her harsher than they're judging some of the other contestants.
Speaker 1: Well, I think they probably know that she's a beloved figure. You know that she's getting a lot of the popular vote. Yeah, and I also think you know, they probably they I think they're Here's here's why I think next week, Danielle and Pasha should do something very technically difficult, you know what I mean, right, like, because I feel like they did the classy dances, the more sort of straightforward they showcased her abilities. Then this week was about entertainment and character and personality. Now I think they should do something that really shows off that she's learning and that she's working hard on the dance side of things. And I think that that would go a long way to sort of showing the judges like, yes, I got out of you know time last week, but I was just in it and I was feeling the dance. Now let me show you that I can do. You know this this very tech. That's my take. I don't know if she'll listen to me.
Speaker 2: I think I think she's a bit in her head. And we know Danielle. Again, we've talked about Danielle's personality. She not only wants to win because she she's a competitive person, but she anything she tries, she wants to be great at. That's just Danielle. So I think she's in her head about every step and doing this. And I think I've said this, I said this in our very first episode or second episode, I can't remember, but the week when Danielle just lets it all go is going to be a week where people are like, oh my god, look what she just did.
Speaker 1: So you don't think this was that week, huh? You think she don't too okay, it was a good move to she let it go more. For sure, she definitely let it go more.
Speaker 2: But to me, in the beginning, it started a little rough with her by herself, you know, when she jumps down from the chair and she's not with Pasha and it was just her doing a move or two alone. They were a little stiff for me, like she was warming up a little bit. And so there's gonna be that week, and I God hope she stays because she deserves it. And the idea that she got the same scores this week that she got last week, to me, is ridiculous because it shows they're saying she hasn't grown, and I disagree with that one thousand percent. But so when she puts that week together, and god if she can do it next week, which they've announced, so we can talk about when Bill Daniel's mister Feenie is there, she'll bring the house down. She'll bring the house down. And I think a bunch of her Boy Mets World castmates are going to be there. I don't know if we'll get the invite because we don't know her all that well, but I know a bunch of them are going to be there. Uh and so yeah, it was She'll bring the.
Speaker 1: House down, that's all.
Speaker 2: I gotta say.
Speaker 1: Seven's across the board, which was the same scores last week.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I thought that there could be.
Speaker 3: There.
Speaker 1: Before we move on, you know, we have to.
Speaker 2: Do will history be of Dance, which you know I have an encyclopacknowledge of all things dance and I like to let people know a little bit of the history of the dance that Danielle particularly does.
Speaker 1: This week, I am also I was very proud.
Speaker 2: I I came up with the idea where I'm every week it's going to be sponsored by a very small company that needs to be up and coming that i'd like to work with. So this week's History of Dance a sponsor a company called Lamborghini.
Speaker 1: Oh little yes car company.
Speaker 2: We're a little car company, up and coming, Yes, And I think if they sent me a car they'd be happy. But right now we're talking about the quick step, which is what daniel did writer and it involved in the twenties.
Speaker 1: Oh I guess okay, no, go go yeah, yeah, no, it's fine.
Speaker 2: No, I'm just picking a company, a small just trying to give me a break.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they need your help. I'm trying. Let me guess. Quick step is about stepping quickly. You can we have it?
Speaker 2: Yes, no, but it's from the twenties. It's actually a combination writer of the fox Trot to Charleston, the shag, the peabody and the one step. It's English in origin and stand up when we get there.
Speaker 1: Not going to jump in, but you're not going to tell me about the people? Would you like to know?
Speaker 2: So? Soon after the induction of the fox Trot nineteen fourteen, two variations developed a slow version done it about forty measures per minute.
Speaker 1: That's the peabody. Would you like me to keep going? Or no? No, no, no, that's okay, okay.
Speaker 2: That's fine. So it's English nineteen twenty seven it evolved from the fox trot. The quick step now is it's quite separate writer. Unlike the modern fox trot, the leader often closes his feet, and syncopated steps are regular occurrences, as in the case of the fox trot. Three characteristic dance figures of the quick step are the chasse where the feet are brought together, the quarter turns, and the lockstep. I just thought kind of fun.
Speaker 1: God, let you mean's going on. You could have just been using Star Wars terms for me, you know, like, but you would have understood Star Wars term. You know. Those kicks were a little sithy this week, a little sitthy, I mean, little ky Crystal. See, do you think the judges have all of this stuff in their head? It's just like because I mean they threw out terms this week that I.
Speaker 2: Was just like what I would say, you're artists too, I mean, would you know, would you know the equivalent lingo of theater?
Speaker 1: I think so maybe that's what I'm saying. I think so. I think it's probably the same or film.
Speaker 2: I think it's the same thing where you're talking about dps and the one eighty eighty rule and eye lines and stuff. Some people might not know exactly what you're talking about, but you do because this is your world. So yeah, they probably have this right at their fingertips. It's crazy, yeah, all right.
Speaker 1: Next up, we had Scott Hoyne and Riley Arnold. He is apparently a Disney fanatic, goes to Disneyland all the time. I'm really glad that he has stuck around because I am liking him more and more and I'm liking watching them down.
Speaker 2: You didn't at first?
Speaker 1: Nope, not at all. Yeah, I was like, why agreed? You know, and I think you know, they talk about it on the show. They talk about him coming out of his shell and yeah, it's worked. Like I'm totally like great man, Like you're you're killing it. So they danced the salsa to Bop to the top and yeah, I thought he was great. I think he's just getting better and better and like it's merging the sort of expressiveness that he has discovered. And it seemed technically great to me. So I thought this was really fun. They got a little a little knotted in their arms.
Speaker 2: They did she got she she tucked under and had to do everything.
Speaker 1: It was it. It was like what what that was that a mistake? Yes, that was definitely that was a mistake. They're twisting and like folding.
Speaker 2: But and they were doing high school musical right, which I thought was kind of interesting at seeing that Dylan didn't do high school musical with his brother, which he talks about right and and and then they're doing high school musical but they're doing shar Pei. So I mean, it's it was a fun tongue in cheek, if you know, High School Musical. You would have loved this dance kind of moment. They both had the microphones, like even though they weren't singing, they had the mics that they wore in the movie, So.
Speaker 1: It was it was movie. So I don't know. And then like when they were like talking over each other afterwards, that's like a reference to the movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they were, there was actual that was that's the the brother So there's a brother, sister and team in the High School Musical movies that are kind of kind of steal the movies, especially the woman Sharpey, who are just as Ashley Tisdale's character. So yeah, they're great, but they were. I couldn't agree with you more. By the way, At first, I was like, ooh, this guy, he's very robotic, very mechanical. I don't find anything particularly engaging about him, even during his packages. And then now I really like him when I do the same thing, I really like him.
Speaker 1: I feel like he's just gotten comfortable and and he's just enjoying the process, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And now I have a question. Do you think this dance was better than Danielle's dance?
Speaker 1: Hmmm, No, I think it was about the same.
Speaker 2: I agree.
Speaker 1: And didn't they get an eight? No? No, they got sevens Oh they did? Okay, good, Then this is not the one.
Speaker 2: There's another one where they gave him an eight, and I was like, how the hell is that better than what Danielle did?
Speaker 1: Right right? No, this one I felt like, you know, I think they're about the same level. I would say, you know, like in terms of their journey, Like I feel like, yeah, I can see that. Yeah, so yeah, no, it seemed fair to me. Seven seven, seven, Okay, that's fair.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is not the one I was thinking about then. And again, she's you can watch I can watch her do anything. She's adorable. Riley is just such a fun dancer, big smile. I mean, she looks like I'm not trying to insult her, but I know she's very young, but she looks like a little kid, like having fun dancing right right, and it's it's very engaging.
Speaker 1: Next up Alex and val This was she was gonna be a Villain. They did a Viennese waltz to Once Upon a Dream. It was all Maleficent themed. Say that three times.
Speaker 2: I love this. This was dancing the night for me me too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just you know, it's funny because I've realized what I am most engaged by is storytelling, you know, like I still kind of want a dance to be a play or to you know, and they really got into the characters and the storytelling, and I just felt like, I don't know, I felt like I was reading, you know, between the lines of like this relationship. And I mean she even talked about it like, oh, we want it to be a toxic relationship, and man, I just thought it was so great. Me too. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Even the little flicks of her wrist to control him were like precise and coordinated. It was, I thought, a really cool dance all the way through and I thought, yeah, definitely dance of the night for me.
Speaker 1: It was so expressive. And you know, I also just think it's more my style, you know, a little darker, a little like, I don't know, it's just great.
Speaker 2: Costumes were great, by the way, I got some I got some ish as the kids say, yeah, last week for criticizing Danielle's dress, stand by that criticism hundredercent. She looked amazing tonight, Danielle. Yeah, I thought, But since we're talking about costumes, because this maleficent costume and VAL's costume.
Speaker 1: They were great, okay, okay, but the makeup way too much.
Speaker 2: Like when people were coming you mean her, no every yet, like the mouse came out, I was like, I'm uncomfortable, Like.
Speaker 1: It was like the makeup was too good. It was like they completely transformed the dancers. I couldn't recognize them, you know, like the Aladdin the Genie it did. I was like, you look too much like a human mouse, Like it's so crazy.
Speaker 2: I don't disagree as a lot, right.
Speaker 1: And then the alien, I was like, I don't even know who the alien was. I can't recognize it was like, and at one point they complimented the makeup. I'm like, no, they actually went a little too far for me, Like, especially when you have Disney characters with their big Disney cartoony heads, I'm like, what do we have to actually make them look like on camera they're actually a human rat hybrid? Like no, anyway, right along to uh Hilaria, wait what did they get? What did they get?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: They got eight?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I could have been a nine in there for me, A great I could have sworn it was gonna be the first nine we saw them too.
Speaker 1: For me, to that, and I think if they had gone later, they probably would have gotten Yes, yeah, what is that? Yeah? No, it was like because because when the nine came out later in the night, I was like, really because Alex Bellow is still kind of my favorite.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Do you think the dancers know? Like do you think they get their list of where they're coming and they see their one or two and they're like, ugh, wait, what do you mean Like when they when they find out the order they're going to dance it for that week? Do you think they know professionally?
Speaker 1: We talked about this early on. I would also like to go first, to get it out of the way, right, Like I would hate. So there's got to be a balance where you're like, Okay, at least I go early in the night and then I can just relax, right, But yeah, but you don't get scored as high.
Speaker 2: I know, it doesn't seem I think if she went I think if Danielle went later, and again, this podcast at the end of the day is about Danielle. If Danielle went later, there would have been an eight I think in her in her performance.
Speaker 1: All right, HILARI On GLEB they chose to do the Star Wars Cantina song, which was a weird choice. Weird you know choice. It's like one of those songs you can like for about fifteen seconds ago, oh yeah, that's cool, but then to have to watch a whole dance of it, I was like, song, song doesn't really go anywhere?
Speaker 2: Does the longest?
Speaker 1: I know? And I like Star Wars a lot. I could tell that she does, and it seems like a fun idea, but like, I don't know what else you could do though.
Speaker 2: What you could Star Wars with John Williams music some of the most iconic music in the history that the song you.
Speaker 1: Pick, I know, but it's the only one that you could really do like an up beat a quick step to. Yeah, that's the thing.
Speaker 2: If you have to do something up be it would have been difficult to do. Now, if you you want to bring the house down and you do Luke's theme and you're doing like a tango to Luke's theme or something like that, that would be amazing.
Speaker 1: I mean, like I'm trying to imagine, yeah, no, no, no, no, oh.
Speaker 2: That'd be great too. But yeah, the quick step to that. So I found this entire thing. The song you're dancing and all of it I found really weird. This week.
Speaker 1: It was just uh yeah, it was just like, oh, that's cute, and then it just kept going. Yes, I know that she was dancing well, like I could, I could tell, but I just it's just not not for me.
Speaker 2: I could see why people didn't like it. I really could see why people didn't like it. This week I found it was just very odd.
Speaker 1: The judges were pretty kind though. They gave them yes eight so seven, eight and eight.
Speaker 2: I this is the one and I'm sorry, this is the one. They get two eights for this and Danielle gets three seven.
Speaker 1: I think I think there was some technical step stuff that she is good, she's good at Hilaria can can do it, and so I think that they wanted to reward her for that. But in terms of entertainment, like no, like it just felt I don't know.
Speaker 2: I would love to talk to a judge. Do you think and I know they probably have to be there. They're trying to be as unbiased as possible, but do you think they have their favorites so that they try to keep people in the competition.
Speaker 1: Well, I also wonder how much they're playing like against or with the popular vote, Like, how much did they know about the popular vote? In other words, do they like, if somebody that they like is they know not getting well scored in terms of the popular vote, could they boost them a little bit? Right? Do they jack out up or do they not tell the judges the popular vote results? I mean that seems the most fit to me is that. Yeah, but you kind of know, right, you kind of get this feeling. It's because Hilaria was in the bottom three last week, so you assume like, oh, she might be on the bubble. So maybe they were like, well, she might be going home tonight, let's give her a couple eights.
Speaker 2: I wonder. Yeah, I don't know how that worked, because again, very good dancer, she's technically very good. We've talked about this before. But how that's two eights and Daniel's three sevens. I Daniel was so much more enjoyable to watch, right, So yeah, that was that. This was the one where I was.
Speaker 1: Like, really, two eights for this and Daniel got three sevens.
Speaker 2: Yeah, totally biased, but I get it.
Speaker 1: Next up, Andy Richter and Emma Slater of course, just love this guy.
Speaker 2: Are you a ratitudey fan? The rat is the rat cooking okay, while the car's racing is not.
Speaker 1: You know, I've come around on Ratitude a little bit. I didn't. I didn't used to like it. I found it a little but I watched it recently with Indy and I was like, this is a this is a cute movie. This is a cute movie. I like, yeah, I mean yeah, the ending and he actually the critic comes and eats the Ratitude and it goes to the flashback of him. It's amazing. I mean that's a great storytelling. Yeah, I mean yeah, So this they did the Viennese waltz and it was the ratitudey song. This was fine.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: There was a moment when we're watching it and Alex goes, he's just walking yeah, and I was true, Yeah, it's true. And like I said, Mouse makeup where Mouse is comfortable.
Speaker 2: It's my favorite quote of the night.
Speaker 1: Yeah, don't don't do that. It was like it was an uncanny valley mouse Land not happy. I think, you know, here's somebody who's clear.
Speaker 2: And I'm not going to say skating by, because that's not This is exactly how the show works and how that show is supposed to work. But this is somebody who's clearly just getting by every week because people like him and it's the popular vote. I think, yeah, we've probably seen the progression of his dancing. I don't think you're gonna get much more. Who knows. Maybe he comes out and kills it one week, it does something where everyone's like, oh my god.
Speaker 1: But I don't think so. I think he's not going to be doing the quick step. No, And I.
Speaker 2: Think it's kind of every week is going to be kind of him moving around a bit, holding on to his partner who dances around him. And he's hugely likable when he does it, and you want to see him every week. But I think if it's this is the thing that Jensen said to us, if you vote for your the worst dancer, he goes home. If you vote for your favorite dancer, he stays.
Speaker 1: So I don't think he's lasting more than a week. I think he's gone next week. You think, yeah, because the competition is just two fierce now. It starts too many other likable people who are who are getting better good technical dancing. Yeah, and then there are just flat out amazing dancers. Right, Yeah, you've got because the professional dancer Whitney. These people are like clearly going to be in the top three, and so I think, I think, just we're getting to the point where we can't just keep having you know, Andy along for the ride. I know, all right, next time up. Robert Irwin. Oh wait, what did they get? Oh? They got sixes, which I thought was fair.
Speaker 2: Again Yeah, again, I don't think they've gotten They've never gotten a seven. I don't believe they had five. All five's the first week and all sixes ever since.
Speaker 1: I think I think that's I think that's as high as they can get.
Speaker 2: I think so too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Robert Irwin, Whitney, Carson Zootopia and they got to see.
Speaker 2: It, and he's likes so bad.
Speaker 1: I know, Well, I didn't quite understand that because.
Speaker 2: I think he's I think they made a character for him in the movie. I think, isn't that what they're saying is that? I think, did they or did they just do that as like a one off?
Speaker 1: Like in the movie we.
Speaker 3: Were he voices a character in the new movie.
Speaker 2: Coming out to see There you go? He gets to he's also in it.
Speaker 1: Wow, good for him, that's awesome. Yeah. Cool. Well, I was jealous of them getting to watch. Yeah, of course me too. What did you think of the dance?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 1: Boring? Yes, I like this.
Speaker 2: He's falling off a little bit the last I think he's opened the door for other people to come in.
Speaker 1: I love this song actually, and there's it was nice to see them sort of you know, dial back the like fireworks again, but like I don't know, right, and yeah, and you know this is this is the problem with coming out so hot that first episode. Yes, we kind of have high expectations. He's he is great. He's a good dancer, ye, man, like you got to blow it out now every time. And like I remember talking after the first episode and being like, you know, that was amazing, He's the best. And then I think it was Jensen was like, yeah, but where do you go to here? And it's true, like it is it's part of this. Part of the fun of this show is watching someone progress, watching someone do somebody something different. And it didn't This just felt like a step like it was I don't know, if you have done the first week's dance, this would probably have been like, oh, he's great, he's great.
Speaker 2: I also think the pre the pre dance package let him down because they cut to him at one point right before they start going, like he's going, I'm not gonna do the accent, but like it's me and so of course, you know it's gonna be high energy and we're gonna go out there and do our thing. And then it wasn't high energy at all. And because he says that, it's like and then when Shakira kicks in, you know whe're going. I was like, oh, man, so when she starts singing, they're really going to pick it up. And then they didn't pick it up, and I was like, oh, okay.
Speaker 1: You know, you go from ripping your shirt off the next week, you're going to like try and button up a little bit more. He felt I think he felt a little like he had gone too far. He felt a little too free, so he was holding back a little bit with their you know, decisions this week. And all right, so they got seven, seven and eight. I actually thought they could have had another eight in there.
Speaker 2: Because I thought it was I don't disagree, but I agree with you that it was. You know, technically, it seems he's he now seems like he's working on dancing, like a technically becoming a better dancer.
Speaker 1: But it was.
Speaker 2: I found it a little more.
Speaker 1: All right. Then we had Elaine Hendrix and Alan Burston. So cool that she's the voice of Or she was one of the actors is the part of the Space Mountain pre show package, and that was cool. I love that. I would love to be one of those people before a ride, wouldn't Isn't that like an accomplishment as an actor? Like I didn't you did? For of course?
Speaker 2: That My my rap song, the Nickelodeon Rap Song, was on the tour at Universal when you go through Nickelodeon before you get on the ride, on there rapping to you and then you go you go from there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's so cool man. Oh it was great. Yeah, it was great, awesome.
Speaker 2: And you remember our most famous boy, metrold Alum who did it was for the Back to the Future ride. Was the right turner's Turner's girlfriend. Now I can't remember who played Kat Thompson, but I can't remember her name. Yeah, she was and came perfectly exactly. She came on pod too, but yes she was. You go to to the Back to the Future ride and there's her giant, giant crowds watching her do her thing. It's so neat.
Speaker 1: That was so cool. They were dancing to the song from Space Mountain. I didn't know there was what I didn't know there was Nope. I think she is an excellent dancer. I just this was just kind of not my style, right, So I fel like, yeah, you enjoyed it. Yeah, yeah, I mean.
Speaker 2: Again, it was I think also coming off of Robert Irwin where I was I was a little let down, I guess, with expecting some excitement and some stuff, and it was just kind of like, oh, they're dancing and it's okay. This was a nice change of pace. I thought the Space mountainey aspect of it, where it was like it was alien and stuff, but almost from the sixties. Yeah, so there's that kind of almost go go.
Speaker 1: Vibe to it, which I thought was cool.
Speaker 2: I liked the light show at the beginning, so I was in I thought this question, and she's she's another one who's so likable, right that you're kind of rooting for her.
Speaker 1: It's funny because, like you know, I could tell by the way the audience reacted and by the judges who they gave them eight's across the board. I was like, oh, this is really good. It's just not for me. Like there's this kind of campy approach to dancing and this kind of like bouncy thing happening that I was just like, uh, you know, like this is just isn't my style. But that has nothing to do with their actual capabilities or you know, talent, because they clearly have it. So yeah, that was great and yeah good high score.
Speaker 2: Yeah, high score and high score. She's gotten so far, I think, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: And deservedly so, like she's gotten even better like week to week, so I think, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, another one progressing. But that's one of the things I'm gonna go back to my best friend. Sorry, this is what I'm what we're here for. That's one of the things that upset me about last night is because by giving Danielle three sevens again, they're saying you have not progressed from last week. And I don't buy that. I don't. I don't think that's accurate. She has gotten better from the first week to now, and they're not showing that in the scoring at all.
Speaker 1: In my opinion. Okay, next up Whitney and Mark.
Speaker 2: Two professional dancers on a dance show.
Speaker 1: I mean, this was truly amazing.
Speaker 2: Of course, of course it was Yeah, virtuoso pianist playing the piano.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And they were doing Hamilton the rate where it happens, which again for me, had this storytelling component that I just love. Yea, you know, I'm just clearly more of a like a musical type of person, like I want there to be characters. I want to know what's happening, and like, you know, when she shot him at the end, I was like, oh my god, this is amazing. It like captured the essence of Hamilton, told us a sort of story and struggle between.
Speaker 2: Them, And do you think it was fair using Hamilton because it's the only thing Disney is that Disney licensed it to put it on Disney Plus.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So I mean there's nothing Disney about Hamilton at all other than you can watch it on the Disney platform. So is this kind of a cheat?
Speaker 1: But who cares? Like, I know, I'm just curious. It's like, you know, it's there's nothing Disney about Hamilton, right, I mean, I guess when I think about the idea that like other people were choosing rides and the theme songs from a ride from when they clearly just chose a song they wanted to do and a story they wanted to tell. I guess it is, But like, I mean, do they stop people from choosing other things?
Speaker 2: Like, I don't know. I still know who chooses because in some of the pre show packages, the uh, celebrity is going and this week where dancing to it. In other ones it's the professional saying, hey, this week, guess what we're dancing too. So I still don't know who picks it.
Speaker 1: I see. I mean, because you know, Disney, could you could do Marvel, you could do right, I mean they could have done somebody could have done a Guardians of the Galaxy thing, right, which doesn't feel Disney, but it is technically Disney Company. I don't know, man, that's a good point. I don't know. I'm curious.
Speaker 2: I mean, Disney is also ABC. Could somebody have danced to the Boy Meets World theme song?
Speaker 1: That would have been great? Just this boom, it's that would well? This was I thought, this was truly amazing. And of course it was there with with Alex and Val doing the Maleficent dance, and this got the first nine of the season agreed with it too. It was yeah, I agreed, but I still in retrospect, I would have given Alex and Vaalen nine.
Speaker 2: So I think So too still wasn't my favorite dance of the night. Alex and val were still my favorite dance of the night. But this is again it's I'm not gonna keep harping on the professional thing. I mean, this is she should be on so you think you can dance, not Dancing with the Stars. So so you think you can dance? I think is professional dancers and people that have been struggling to dance her whole life now getting a break to try to dance.
Speaker 1: Oh that's not Hey, we're celebrities.
Speaker 2: Who's gonna teach No, we're gonna teach you how to dance, Which clearly you don't have to teach her how to dance.
Speaker 1: She's a professionals dancer needs to dance.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so, and she's great at it. She's she's easy to look at, she dresses amazingly, she's personable, she got a big smile on her face, she's obviously having a ton of fun.
Speaker 1: I'm not trying, not holding anything against her, she's just on the wrong show. Yeah, uh, next up, Jordan and Ezra. I just love her so much.
Speaker 2: Let me too.
Speaker 1: I was excited to see that. And I also like, cannot believe the height difference between these two, Like did you keep noticing this?
Speaker 2: Like it's huge, it's huge, and she's fine.
Speaker 1: She's really she's really small. So I don't, you know, I knew they were just like okay, but they still make it work. I thought they were great. They danced to special Spice. I have never seen the movie The Frog Princess, so what have you no? Okay? And so this by you Adventure. This is the rebrand of of Splash Mountain. Okay, Oh is that what it is? Yeah? I think it's just Splash and they just took.
Speaker 3: They re themed it to Princess and The Frog.
Speaker 1: South is one of the shameful moments in Disney history. So yeah, yeah, okay, moving right along.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: I thought this wall that they started behind was a little weird yep, and getting out of it took like an extra couple of you know, she kind of threw him over and he jumped over, but then she had to get out and I was like, guys, that was just an awkward choice. And then also as much as her dress was beautiful, it kind of hurt the quick step factor.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can see that.
Speaker 1: It was like she would you know, she had the big ballroom princess dress, but then it was a quick step, so I wanted to see her quick legs. And I know she was doing it right, and they scored her well, and but I was just like, you know, I don't know if that was the best choice. So I feel like some production choices, like if they had not started with that wall or the you know, the porch that she was on and the gate in front of her, and then chosen or found a way for us to be able to see her legs better, I think it would have probably gotten a nine from at least one of the judges.
Speaker 2: But yeah, she's another one totally likable that she I thought last week Robert opened the door for her to take the top spot. Yeah, but there's a couple people now that I think could really jump into that top role.
Speaker 1: And I agree with you.
Speaker 2: If you take again one of my guys, Michael Flatley, Lord of the Dance, and put him in a long dress so you can't see his feet moving independently of his body, then what's the point. But she's she's and it's it's so funny that you mentioned the height difference because Scott and his partner definitely have a height disadvantage too, and it was so noticeable in the first couple of weeks. Now it seems like they're kind of dancing better together, whereas you never really noticed it with Jordan and her.
Speaker 1: Jordan, No, not while they're dancing. It's only when they're standing next to each other before and after that, I'm like, oh, but when they're dancing, I'm totally on. Like that's it's really a tribute to them that they're making at work, and it makes it feel natural.
Speaker 2: And you just see her athleticism. She's obviously so comfortable in her body and knows what she's doing and knows how to move it and is great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, Jan and Jehan closing out the night with Aladdin a friend like me, This was again not comfortable with the up. I thought this was okay.
Speaker 2: Did you see the confetti afterwards? All stuck to his body? Yeah, stuck to the blue paint's.
Speaker 1: But I thought this was very fun and expressive and like character based for them, which is cool. But you know, when she like did her like walk over or back walk over and stuff, I don't know I just I was kind of like, what, I guess, it's okay, it's it's a jazz dance, which is this is the first jazz we've seen. And like halfway through, I was like, so, jazz just means kind of whatever you want to do when you listen to jazz, exactly what it is to dance too. Is it like the idea that you can incorporate kind of steps from anything.
Speaker 2: I guess, well, I know, of course, I know, and we'll get into that when we get into the history. Sure, but I don't want to give that away now until Danielle has to do it. But yes, I to me, this was a little bit of a wa wah end to the night where I was like, Okay, that's kind of okay, we're just done now.
Speaker 1: It was it wasn't my least favorite.
Speaker 2: The least favorite was still the weird Star Wars canteena dance, but this was this was a close second to my least favorite dance of the night. Right, So, and she's adorable and you want to see her dance and they're they're great together, even if he's in his strange blue makeup, which was off putting. But yeah, it was just kind of okay, and they got.
Speaker 1: Seven, eight and eight. Uh, I would have can't one more on the seven side of things?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that gets two eight and Danielle gets three sevens. Yeah, I didn't get it.
Speaker 1: That's the comparison that I would say is makes it seem a little unfair that Danielle only got sevens. Yes, I agree. I think we're biased, all right. And we came to the elimination round, uh, which was very depressing to see Danielle and racketing.
Speaker 2: I couldn't imagine standing up there.
Speaker 1: I know they're you know, they're pulling on our heart strings, they're manipulating us. They're you know, making sure that we get out and vote and keep supporting our favorites.
Speaker 2: So well, now it's a tough question for you because apparently I was wrong. I thought she was in the bottom three, so I guess maybe she wasn't. Do you think she was in the bottom three of voting.
Speaker 1: I don't think so. Okay, I think I think that they are. I think she's in the bottom of the judges. But I think the popular vote people, I know, people love Danielle, you know, and like she know this, people are going to keep voting for her just you know, her personality and how hard she's working. So I don't think she actually is in the bottom three, but I think it was a little reminder to be like, it's not always going to be easy, and it is really stiff competition this year. Like huge that I say this year, like I've watched other years, but it seems like, I mean, it's always this hard, but it just seems like, you know, yeah, I like almost everybody, now, do you know what I mean? Like, I'm like, everybody deserves to be here, yeah, you know, for for different reasons, but they're like that that I'm like, Andy is the only one. I'm like, buddy, you got to get out of the way now, because right, it was awesome, but she got to get out of the way.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: But then when I start looking at you know who's left, you know now that Hilaria because that was the result, Hilaria and Gleb We're voted off, which I kind of expected me too, I guess, because maybe I thought it was going to happen last week. But then when the dance this week was just kind of I was like, oh, well that, you know, maybe they could they had had a better dance this week.
Speaker 2: Then who would they know because I don't think she says. I don't think she's getting It's exactly what you said with the judges. She's not getting the popular vote like daniel or Andy you're getting there.
Speaker 1: She's getting the judges vote like she has way more judges, like Hilaria was doing way better in terms of the judges than Danielle. Yeah, so this was just a popular vote decision.
Speaker 2: And did you see all of all of the talent, by the way, except Danielle. I don't think Danielle said it, but a lot of them were talking about basically, if you keep me around next week, wait till you see what I have in store for you next week, right right, which is the first time I've heard that. I've never heard the other I mean, Dylan said that. A couple of people said that where it's and a it was one of them where it was I think she was going to dance with Alec Baldlin next week, And people are like, yeah, that's that's all.
Speaker 1: Right, all right. Well, luckily Danielle did not get eliminated, thank god. I didn't really think it was gonna happen, but.
Speaker 2: I didn't know. I truly didn't know, because again I'm like, I don't. I still don't get the scoring. I still don't get the judging. I still don't get how they're picking these numbers. So I was nervous because I was like, I don't. I don't understand how. And it's the not knowing that makes me so nervous because I'm like, don't, I don't know how they're scoring this. I don't know what's going on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was rough, all right, you got a question for me?
Speaker 2: I do, of course, As you know, every week we are going for our little segment that we like to call the strong incentive, and that's what it would take to get right or strong to be a contestant on Dancing with the Stars. Now, if everybody recalls and they've been with us every week, the first week, somebody showed up at his house with a case filled with five hundred thousand dollars in cash, straight up cash riders said, get off my porch, I'm armed. Second week, we added to that five hundred thousand dollars in cash with a brand new Airstream sprinter van. I think it was came to us. It was an Atlas sprinter van with the extended cab which was went through Ryder entirely, but it was over a three hundred thousand dollars value, where at eight hundred thousand dollars of cash and prizes, and Rider was still in his porch with a shotgun.
Speaker 1: Third week, quite armed, making me a great question. Rider. We'll talk about that later.
Speaker 2: Third week, somebody found Sean's original leather jacket and threw that into the mix, and that was tough, going for a soft.
Speaker 1: Turn under against the fans.
Speaker 2: Hey, I didn't turn you against anything. I'm just making offers, my friend.
Speaker 1: And now I have to wear the leather jacket on Dancing with the Stars.
Speaker 2: Ugh, no, god, All right, this week, Rider, we're going to see how well I know you, because now that you're once again on your porch and another box arrives and you open it up and it's your in mint condition original magic cards that you heard from back in the day, with a perfect condition black Lotus card thrown in.
Speaker 1: Wait a minute, how much is a black Lotus worth? I think the last one just sold for six hundred thousand dollars. Oh my god, you're so mean. Okay, so what would my what like all my original cars from like when.
Speaker 2: I was in every card you owned from your beta, alpha and beta decks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so, oh no, it would be my unlimited deck. It would have volcanic eruption in it. It would have slight of My whole thing was that I use. It was white and blue and I used sleight of hand and yeah, sleight of hand, and what is it I could change the color terms and the color color color of prism. No, it was they were in the car, somebody casts something. I could like change which color they were targeting or whatever. It was like it was like super manipulative deck and then it was all like white like nights and like very like uh yeah, oh man and a black Lotus card. Oh you know what was in that deck that I would have had. It was Blaze of Glory, which was great, which is an instant that would make it so that everybody had to block one creature. So I would boost up one creature and make everybody block. Oh no, not worth it, not worth no, you know, because A I don't collect magic cards for the value of the cards. I don't. I don't. I've never been into collecting, So I would I would, I would appreciate. I would actually if they weren't in mint condition, I would actually be more tempted if they were like the original cards that I've lost, like born and you know, covered in dirt from you know, when I would play in the ground at coffeecats in Sebastopol. No, I'm not going to do it. It's not worth it. It's not worth it. I at the embarrassment of me dancing and the self consciousness. I love you, my magic cards, but you just now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're at about two million dollars worth of stuff.
Speaker 1: For the red Yeah, you threw in the blacklow. It's just to just to really stick it to me. But I think you knew I would say no. You knew I would say no.
Speaker 2: I can't have I can't pick something every week to where it's like, oh, he's definitely going, because there's a couple that I know for a fact the second I say, you'd be like, okay, I'd have to do it. And so I'm obviously holding those to the very end.
Speaker 1: Right right right, just the torture of this though it would be you.
Speaker 2: Know, it's magical, Oh freedom, you're.
Speaker 1: Sing, hold on. Have we asked, like, would you do this show ever. No, right, but I would it's not for you, adourisement. But what about the would you do it for five hundred thousand dollars?
Speaker 2: No, because I just there's no I've said this from the beginning. There's not a dance instructor in the world that could actually teach me how to dance well and way better dancer than I am, and I don't think so. Man.
Speaker 1: We did a dance on Boy Meets World and I remember and go back and watch it.
Speaker 2: It's awful and I'm staring at you guys the whole time, and I'm like just trying to get my feet underneath me.
Speaker 1: No, I think you could look at it as a as an acting job, like you could get into your head like I am playing a role this week and that role is you know, the dance for this Yeah. Yeah, Really, Honestly, I think that's how you could get into it, because I think you can do physical comedy incredibly well. And I think that if you just looked at it as like I'm playing this part this week, whether that's you know, the guy leading this great ballroom dance or the person who's expressing this thing through a quick step. I don't think that would work. Yeah, I don't think it could work.
Speaker 2: And by second week I just ripped my shirt off and instantly be voted off the show. They'd like, stop me mid dance, like whoa who whoa, whoa, whoa whoa?
Speaker 1: Shut this down. Let's get this guy a robe. God, you're so hard on yourself. Man, I love it. All right. That's it for this episode of Pod Meets Twirled. Join us next week as we continue watching season thirty four of Dancing with the Stars. We may not know a Lindy Hop from a Bunny hop, but we know what we learned way back in Phoene's class. Daniel Fischel is the star of the show. Podmeets World is an iHeart podcast producer hosted by Danielle Fischel, Wilfridell and Ryder Strong executive producers Jensen Karp and Amy Sugarman, Executive in charge of production, Danielle Romo, producer and editor Taras Subasch, producer, Maddi Moore, engineer and boy meets World superman Easton Allen. Our theme song is by Kyle Morton of Typhoon. Follow us on Instagram at Podmeats World Show or email us at Podmeats World Show at gmail dot com.