Speaker 1: Any sense of what your success has done to Lab.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I had to give Will McKenzie one of my backups because he couldn't get one until like the end of September, and that's a pro. And then a friend of mine, a friend of a friend, ordered one and is like eight months back ordered. So yeah, I think they're pretty busy.
Speaker 3: Put another log on the fire.
Speaker 4: Nobody he is getting time.
Speaker 5: Welcome to the fire pit with Matt Chanella.
Speaker 6: So Lucas Glover wins the Windham Championship and for anyone paying attention, especially his inner circle of friends, it wasn't that surprising. Mac Parnhart, Glover's longtime friend and manager, literally predicted it.
Speaker 7: And Mac just said, man, this is this is incredible, and you know this is amazing. And but he looked over at me and he goes, He's going to win Greensburro.
Speaker 8: That's the one. He's that's the one he's going.
Speaker 2: To win again.
Speaker 6: After three sessions with Jason Kuhn, the former Navy seal, and after putting a LAB putter in play in Memorial in June, Glover was on the definition of a heater in his twenty four rounds. After Memorial and at Mirfield. He had nineteen rounds in the sixties, which included a sixty two, sixty three and two sixty fours. He had only one round over par a seventy two in the second round of the Canadian Open. And now, after a decade of dealing with yips in what climaxed at setting the putter behind the ball and essentially push putting, Glover had his fifth win on the PGA Tour from a late Sunday night in Greensboro. As he got into his car, took the wheel and allowed him self a massive exhale. It was immediately onto Memphis, where he had just qualified for the first FedEx Cup playoff event.
Speaker 1: Now your mental switch that you've made with Jason, and then this change with the weapon you're using on the green, right like that's a tool. Right now, you've got a new tool, a new mind, but you've got the same old ball striking, and you've got that resolve and the grit and grind. Of course you go back. Of course, you validated the following week.
Speaker 9: I mean, of course, you break through that finish line as Mac described of a marathon runner in a collapse, and then you get back up and run another race and win it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that was Yeah. Like I said, you just kind of keep riding, rode the wave. There was just an extreme, extreme, extreme amount of confidence when I got to Memphis for all of the reasons you just said, And you've hit the nail exactly on the head by the ways you just said it. And I did say, you know, after Greensboro and in between that that you used a perfect word there, a weapon, And then it had been such a crutch for so long, and now I'm showing up with confidence on the greens and something I believe in and at a place again I like that. I've finished third there last year, I believe. And Crystal, in my wife, she was saying, you know, even leading up, she goes, you just need to get to Memphis because that's your course. And turned out Greensboro was and that's how I got to Memphis. But you know, she she called that one. If you just get there, you're gonna do good. You know, you're gonna do well. I think you can win there, man. You know, I agree with you just got to get there type situation. But then when we did get there, I was, you know, riding the high but also still thinking, man, I'm still feeling pretty fresh and still you know, love this place and playing nice and just played excellent golf the last six seven weeks. And you know, now the second season kind of starts, you know, the playoffs, and now now we can tick off some goals for next year, you know, maybe get in some majors, maybe get in the big events, signature events, And wouldn't pick a better time to be full of confidence and right now, and so let's do what we did last week and stick to what we've been doing, and you know, go have fun Putton and let's do it again.
Speaker 5: Which makes you really dangerous.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yep, every golfer, every athlete, you know, you confident and confident in what you're doing and how you're doing it, and you know feel fresh, pretty rested somehow. Yeah, very dangerous any anybody in that situation, in this situation.
Speaker 6: Glover opened with a sixty six, followed by a sixty four. He shot another sixty six on Saturday and started the final round with the lead. Some of the notable contenders were Tommy Fleetwood two back, Rory McElroy three back, and Patrick Cantley, who was five back. In the sweltering heat of a Southern summer. Rory and Cantley made a run and Glover seems to have finally hit a wall, but not on the greens. He's struggling getting to them, which is typically his strength and an indicator that he has spent. It's his putter that's actually saving him. Before we get to a mix of the CBS broadcast as Glover is trying to win back to back, I just want to thank Dormy Workshop for their sponsorship of this podcast. The Canadian based company only makes great stuff and we're lucky to have them putting our logo on a variety of things, all available at Firepitcollective dot com. As they approach their tenth year anniversary, you can find their complete collection of originals, headcovers and classics at Dormy Workshop dot com. Use promo code fire Pit fifteen for fifteen percent of your next purchase. Okay, let's go to CBS on that Sunday, August thirteenth, twenty twenty three, as Glover, who has a one shot lead over Cantley, has a long putt to save par on the thirteenth.
Speaker 5: Ah, He's done it.
Speaker 10: Wow to look about clutch run to the next tea.
Speaker 6: On that next t a par three, he rinsed his iron. Here's Jim Nance and Ian Baker Finch on the call as he hits his third shot back to fourteen.
Speaker 11: Can he get it in close enough to make another good putt for the bogie?
Speaker 6: Here's Ian Baker Finch and Dottie Pepper on that putt to save bogie.
Speaker 12: Can he make two in a row?
Speaker 13: Yeah, yes he can.
Speaker 11: Water putt for Glover comm unbeliever twenty feet at the thirteenth, thirty feet for body here at fourteen.
Speaker 6: After a par at fifteen, he birdies the par five sixteenth to get back into a tie with can't lay at fifteen under this for par at seventeen. Baker Finch back on the call.
Speaker 11: Lind up straight, struck it straight and straight in the middle. Lurcus Glover has hung in there once again.
Speaker 6: After making par on the eighteenth, it was off to a playoff. Here's Jim Nance.
Speaker 14: Two men will battle it out in Memphis, Lucas Glover and Patrick Cantlay.
Speaker 6: Cantley rinsed his first playoff te shot and after Glover lagged up for an easy par, Patrick Cantley had a twenty two foot putt to extend the playoff back to.
Speaker 14: Nance has to make it or Glover is the champion. Got a chance? Oh sends the edge and Lucas Glover goes back to back, including the opening leg of the FedEx Cup playoffs one for the old guys.
Speaker 6: This was win number six for the forty three year old Glover, a life changing and career altering stretch of golf, with the yips seemingly in the rear view mirror. Back to mac Barnhardt.
Speaker 4: He went back to back on the PGA Tour against two of the best fields in the game, coming in with the FedEx Cup and all the pressure in the.
Speaker 14: Back that that that you can't believe. And then to add ind to that, you know it's it's one hundred and eighty thousand degrees. You know they're playing on the sun. You know, he hits it in the water on fourteen, whereas before you know that might have had a little Lucas did. I watched very closely when he hit in the water. He didn't, he didn't really do anything. You know, them just kind of went and walked over to the drop area. You know this guy, I mean, he's a he's a warrior now you know. But yeah, nobody will never know. No, And I'm glad you know that. I mean, nobody understands just the distractions of going from I don't know what was he one hundred and tenth and fed X to I don't know where he was, but he went to the top seventy FedEx or somethwhere top fifty. That alone is enough distraction to kind of go, let your outsigh relief. You know, I've made it. That's what happens. It's like the guy that finishes the race. They run through the tape, you know, they put their arms out and they run through the tape and then they collapse. Because that's kind of what went in the god urnament is. I mean, it takes so much out of you and when and so for him to come back in the heat again, same heat, to be rested and against the testament to Kobe who trains him and keeps him in line like that. But he's forty three too. He's not not a child. I mean, he's in GoF he's he's he's been playing twenty years out there to get that mental stamina to hang in there. It doesn't shock me with him, but it's still I mean, you would have been okay if he'd finished top five. He just said, Man, that was a great run to come back in a playoff and beat Patrick Cantley. Yeah, that was. I mean, for me, it's one of those things I'm standing there watching. I I mean, I was stunned. I don't. I think stunned is as easy as best all I can say to me.
Speaker 1: It goes at that point, it goes from being a golf story to a sports story.
Speaker 14: I agree.
Speaker 2: I agree.
Speaker 14: He's a sportsman, so it would make sense, you know, and you know that is when you know you know Lucas. I think it was he hit nine greens on Sunday at Memphis, and I remember I think he said to me he didn't feel like that mini greens or something kind of but and I was like, I remember saying to him, I said, Amen, I go, these guys can't let you beat them hitting nine greens. Got we got some we got They better be paying attention because you know, Lucas is the thirteen fourteen green guy day right, and you can't let him beat you hitting nine dreams.
Speaker 6: Back to Lucas Glover again. Our conversation was in September, a few weeks after his back to back wins in August of twenty twenty three.
Speaker 5: You're in the bloodstream, You're you are, this is you. This is your personal story. Are you able to see that it goes from like that's a damn good golf story to holy shit, this is a sports story.
Speaker 2: Yeah? I think so, But mainly for the reasons I mentioned earlier. Is those you know, the stories of perseverance and the stories of self belief and hard work and believing in yourself and all those cliches that we attached to sports, and unfortunately not enough to two people outside of sports that that are doing the same things in different ways. But but yeah, yeah, I see that, and I hope I hope people see it or some one person sees it and changes their mindset about something. Just that'll be enough for me. But but yeah, I do understand the influence is the right word. But I do understand the impact. That's the there's the word that that that it could have and that makes me. That makes me happy and more thankful is that, like we said, we can I can use this to to push my kids in a in a positive way, and then other people that that may be able to use this as as a as a motivator.
Speaker 9: Isn't it really just about like your son or your daughter saying, I'm proud of you, daddy, and that now you've given them, You've given them the thing that they'll be able to hold on to for like you know, you're referencing your grandfather and the accomplishments he's had. You know, they'll be able to reference you for the rest of their life.
Speaker 1: And I saw my.
Speaker 9: Because they're at an age where it's not like they're one or two or even you know, thirty or thirty two. They're at a very tender, impactful agent. Isn't that what it's about?
Speaker 2: One hundred percent? One hundred percent you know if you yeah, you hope in life you reach them first, you know your bubble. If not, you're doing it wrong, right, You just hope you get that chance one hundred percent. Yeah, well yeah, absolutely and yeah, but yeah, back to what we said, you know, practice what you preach, and now I can have a I have something I can point to and say, remember you were there, that's that was that moment, that's where it all came and h and yeah, just to have that opportunity to have that, to have that potential impact on them, it was all that all that any of us care about as parents.
Speaker 6: Amen to that. Back to Michael Simms, Glover's longtime friend.
Speaker 7: Again, Matt, it was it was neat to see everything kind of it was neat to see Mac do his thing, you know, and put pieces of the puzzle kind of on the table, and then to watch them all get put together is uh, it's exciting, It's really really cool.
Speaker 6: A big part of what was put together was Jason Kohn again, the former Navy seal.
Speaker 5: To win a PGA Tour event is bonkers. There's only like you know, there's only one every week and the rest are all losers in theory. So to see Lucas do that at then to follow it up with all the other distractions that come with a win and the exhaustion that comes with with a win, mental, physical, you know, you got to get up and then get to the next venue and get right in and you're talking about full field like, you know, these are He's not winning low level events. These are elite level events. Playoffs would be shocking to everybody else in this It's it wasn't just a golf story. It was a sports story. This was this was transcendent at that point. To win back to back PGA Tour events is absolutely mind boggling shocking to the general public and anybody who actually follows the game at a high level. But was it surprising to you?
Speaker 15: No, I mean I wouldn't say it was surprising a little bit, of course, because of the odds that are involved. But I've always felt like an underdog, and I've always rooted for the underdog, and that's what we set out to do, you know. And I mean, yeah, originally it's We're going to overcome the yips and get your game back on par and start moving up the ladder and whatever.
Speaker 4: But you won back to back.
Speaker 16: I mean, you know, I mean with.
Speaker 15: Our intention though, that's what we want to do. We want to keep that up, you know. And yeah, I mean it's I was just I guess I've had a surprised of course, a little bit. But you know, I think that critics and the low odds, rather than being defining characteristics of our capability, they're natural properties of difficult tasks. That's what makes them special and worthy of pursuit. And it's the pursuit of an aim that keeps our soul alife more so than the accomplishment of it. And so why limit ourselves with Okay, well, if we get in the top twenty, that'll be good enough, you know, Or if we get in this that or the other thing, that'll be good enough. Like let's set our sites on winning this and winning all of them. Why wouldn't we, you know, And we'll see what happened. But that's the intention. I mean, we don't go out on a mission and the Seal teems to kind of feel it out and see how it goes. We're going out to absolutely dominate, you know, destroying, destroying, demoralize on our opponent as soon as possible. Now in competition, of course, there's some moral ethical boundaries that are different from combat and things like that, but that's what we're going into. Absolutely crush the competition. We're going in to win every single time, all of them.
Speaker 1: It must be so rewarding it is to be you and to have this kind of impact on people's lives because they must feel so lost and so embarrassed.
Speaker 5: We're so you know, angst ridden, and then you're able to like bring it.
Speaker 15: Back it's very meaningful to me, and it's incredibly rewarding. And it's because when I was in college, I never heard of the term yips. Until the years after I was done playing. I didn't know what had happened. I just knew it was some sort of anomaly, you know. I knew I wasn't mentally weak, and then I went and I proved that by going through buds and seal training and how weak.
Speaker 2: But I never really knew.
Speaker 15: But when I take myself back to that point in time, and I think, I kind of try to not go there too often. It was so dark, and it was so hard, and it was so embarrassing, and it was frustrating because you don't know how to describe it to anyone, you know, and it's very lonely and you feel like you're the only person in the world. This was before social media, so you can't get on there and look it up, you know, like AOL I think was coming around about that time or something, you know, the dial up internet, so it's not like you can hop on Google. And even if we had, I wouldn't know what the college because I've never heard of the yips, you know, I just it was so hard, but I found God through it, I developed I learned about myself through it. I got better through it, and I think that implosion of made me a person capable of becoming a Navy seal. And then through the sealed teams, the experiences, relationships developed, and confidence gained, all sorts of things helped me develop a solution for this problem. And it's incredibly rewarding and meaningful to me to help athletes with it. And that's why it's it's always a different version of the same story, you know, when they come to me and start talking through it, and.
Speaker 6: Yeah, let's go back to Glover.
Speaker 1: Was it just like this massive stress test and then you now you're able to kind of stop down, reflect and reset and reconfigure your future.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah, for sure. You know, go from Memphis to Chicago and still kind of riding the high there, just didn't play that great and then kind of ran out of gas in Atlanta. To be honest, I was exhausted, but yeah, got home, yeah, yeah, and then got home and I've just been home. Man, it's been awesome and just yeah, I don't haven't been talking about it much, but I've sure been thinking about it a lot, and yeah, it's just reflecting on it. But again, I'm not really that way. I'm like, well, all right, let's use this, let's use this, let's go have the best year we've had next year. And I'm in all the majors, I'm in all the signature events. And you know, I got home and Sunday night and Tuesday I was in the gym and and just motivated, just and happy and it's fun. And I played golf one time since Atlanta, and but it's not ever too far from my brain. And just trying to get back in shape and get my body where I wanted and play a couple of times this fall, and and uh, just stay fresh for twenty four.
Speaker 1: So fun.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, it is so fun.
Speaker 6: Back to Michael Simms.
Speaker 7: You know, it wasn't until after the Tour Championship that I got to say some of the things that I wanted to really say to him, just really really proud of really proud of them, and.
Speaker 1: Give me a give me a nugget or two of what you really wanted to say to them.
Speaker 7: I think that's just between Lucas and I. Some things are best left unsaid, you know.
Speaker 2: There there.
Speaker 8: I mean I love the man, So it's it's uh, it.
Speaker 7: Was nothing, but really really, you know, it was it was, it was great things, it was, it was really cool.
Speaker 8: It was nice. It was a really really nice conversation.
Speaker 1: A person like Michael Simms, What what is it about out him and that relationship? That's that that you know? Is that just like best friendship? Is that the best way to describe a relationship like with a guy like Michael.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's he's very good at wording things in ways that make you He just tells it like it is. He just says, You're never ever ever going to admit to me that how awesome that was. But I'm here to tell you that was awesome, and you're never ever ever going to brag about it. But I'm going to brag to you. So you have to hear it. And just you know, everybody needs that friend. When it's good, he reminds you. And then when it's bad, it's never that bad. But yeah, he's seen it, he's lived it, he's played the game, he struggled with the game, and yeah, you know, he but he's not the type of friend that tries to fix everything. He wants to hear it. From me. He wants to hear my struggles, and then he thinks about it for a little bit, and then a few days later, you know, I've been thinking about that. And it's never that quick fix. It's never that knee jerk reaction. It's always well, let me you know. And he never says it, but he thinks on it for a little bit and then he he'll come back to you with an idea. And but his relationship is has been key in it, just because he's grounding, but he also reminds me that it's still supposed to be fun, it's still supposed to be enjoyable. And uh, it's just a constant reminder that that I'm still good enough. I just got to enjoy it and just have fun with it.
Speaker 6: To Mac Barnhard again for his reflections on Glover's finish to his season, this.
Speaker 14: Is this is to be continued is the way I look at it, right. I mean, this is not we didn't This isn't he found on something he's always hit. He's always hit it as well, so and he didn't really hit it as well coming in. He was just tired. He's always hit it well and this isn't like he found a putting stroke where he found I mean, I think he found Lucas and it could get, really, it could get. We could have some fun now. I mean this cat can, he can, He's always been able to hit it. But I don't think anybody like I said, you have to be closest game to understand how fans are and how they say how much they appreciate what he did. I mean, he went from nowhere to there.
Speaker 6: There was back to back wins, five top tens in the ten events after Memorial and he was in the conversation for the Ryder Cup team. Glover had made it clear he wanted to be wearing red, white and blue. After Memphis. Glover, the hottest player in the world literally and figuratively, sat in sixteenth in the Ryder Cup standings after the Memphis win, and in the press conference, he answered questions about playing for his country, first from Rex Hoggard, second question from Doug Ferguson.
Speaker 12: I know this has cappened kind of fast, but in the last I don't know five starts. Has the Ryder Cup gotten on your mind at all? About fifteen minutes ago, what'd you think? I think I've never made it and I want to.
Speaker 17: And if you, I think you'd have to win next week to earn your spot onto the team.
Speaker 12: If you don't, would you pick you.
Speaker 2: Right now? Yes? Playing pretty good golf, and I think I'd be pretty good in the team room and be a good partner, So yeah, absolutely I would.
Speaker 6: After the win in Memphis, Glover finished T. Twenty two at the BMW Championship, and in the Tour Championship, his ninth event in ten weeks, he finished T. Eighteen and then, as we all know by now, on August thirtieth, Glover was passed up by captain Zach Johnson to play for Team USA. Here's Mac Barnhart.
Speaker 2: If you're Zach.
Speaker 1: Johnson, would you have put him on your team?
Speaker 14: Two seconds? Two seconds? Jackson neighbor down the road here. I mean, I've been in that war room with Davis when they're doing pigs. It's not easy.
Speaker 2: It's not easy.
Speaker 14: But I mean he and Keingan Bradley, I mean, probably two hottest players in the world. Yeah, you know, like I say, we're gratefully disappointed. We're disappointed and that we didn't do it. We're grateful that we were even part of the conversation. I'm like that, but would not to take Lucas Glover if he gave you any hint that he was ready to play. I don't even I can't even find them what anybody was thinking. I mean, Brian Harmon and Lucas Glover. Put them together, and they're not going to miss the fairwell, they're not going to miss a green and both of.
Speaker 2: Them can pie.
Speaker 1: Michael Simms, if you're Zach Johnson, do you pick Lucas Glover to be on that Ryder Cup team?
Speaker 7: I mean, I mean, I do, you know, but that's that's neither here nor there. He's got so many great things to look forward to in these next you know, with this next season and moving.
Speaker 8: Forward with his with his own career, Like.
Speaker 7: You know, that stuffs great, but you know it's it's a it's a nice little show. And then and that I would love for him to be a part of because I know what I know what that means to him. You know, he's he's played on the Walker Cup team and.
Speaker 8: It would have been really really special.
Speaker 7: Let's just say that, and and uh, but I know there's a lot of other things that are involved, and it's pretty neat that he's in the conversation again, awesome that he's in the conversation when I picked.
Speaker 8: Him, Yeah, he's hot. Would I want Lucas putting for me right now?
Speaker 7: Absolutely? Would I want him hitting the T ball for me? Yes, what I want. And he's a team player, and you know, like I said, he's got a lot of heart and like Mac always says, you can't measure that.
Speaker 6: Let's give Glover the final word on the Ryder Cup.
Speaker 1: Would you have picked yourself to be on that Ryder Cup team?
Speaker 2: Yes, I said it then, I'll say it now. And you know, they they revamped the system to pick the hot guy, and he was pretty hot. You know, gave out a gas there in Atlanta, didn't have the greatest finish, but you know, I felt like I fit the criteria. I guess I kind of understand why I didn't, But you know, I, uh, one hundred and one under par since Detroit, I would think that's pretty hot.
Speaker 1: Mac called it grateful, disappointment, grateful, grateful to be in the conversation, disappointed to not be in the tournament.
Speaker 2: Yeah, one hundred percent. And that's exactly what Tommy said as well. A texting texted him that we weren't going, and he says, well, back in June, if we you told me we were having this conversation, uh, we just said you're crazy. But but yeah, that's perfectly termed grateful disappointment. Yeah, exactly right.
Speaker 1: Zach is you know you guys are you guys? Are you guys?
Speaker 2: Are in?
Speaker 9: Been been in and around, You've been been friends, you know, peers, competitors, you know a long time?
Speaker 1: Was that it was it? Do you think it was tougher on you or tougher on him to to make that call or feel that call?
Speaker 2: Probably him. I've talked to several former captains and they said, that's the hardest part of the gig. And uh, you know, Zach came, Zach and I came out together and four on tour in the same class on corn Ferry and O three and been friendly and friends, very friendly ever since. And in the back of my head, knowing that how difficult that was from hearing it from other people, I just didn't make it any harder than I knew it was for him. Just said, amen, I understand, no problem, good luck, and uh, I'll be pulling for you and that you know, So yeah, I can only imagine how difficult that was, because you know, as the captain, how how much everybody else wants it, and uh yeah, I had to be very difficult in that conversation.
Speaker 1: Does he just simply tell you that that he wasn't able to pick here or does he tell you that he picked someone up?
Speaker 8: Like?
Speaker 1: Is it just a short conversation? Probably not long?
Speaker 2: No, No, wasn't long. I made like I said, I'll try to make it as short as possible and as easy only as possible. He just said that what in uh uh what in the what in the fit? He was looking for type conversation. So that's fine.
Speaker 6: Meanwhile, let's go back to lab golf. Here's Sam Han reflecting on Glovers back to backs.
Speaker 17: I'm just so happy for him, man, I mean this is you know, as anybody who's in the golf world knows. I mean, this is one of golf's best dudes. Like, just so awesome, and I applaud obviously, the resurgence is incredible and staying on, you know, committed to trying something different. All that stuff's really impressive. What I find equally, if not more impressive, is the fact that the dude kept his card for ten years with the yips like that. That takes a level like and and now that I think about it, when I realized that that he did that he kept his card with the yips, which nobody does. Like the dude who finishes one hundred and ninety eight on tour and putting loses his card every year, period like period.
Speaker 2: And he didn't.
Speaker 17: And he didn't because he had a level of acceptance, you know, about what he was dealing with, and you know, and you'd see him miss short pots. I'm sure he'd get mad, he slapped his leg or whatever, but like for the most part, you miss your your your fourth four foot of a round, that next drive is going in the fucking trees and then you're hitting the tree trying to punch out, and then you're shooting seventy six and you're going home. And he didn't, you know, he had this, he had he had enough of the ability to compartmentalize his putting that allowed him to maintain his extraordinary ball striking. And he's one of like two guys that I can think of pretty much, him and Sergio Garcia the only two guys that have that have transcended horrendous putting with other worldly ball striking, and he did it, you know, and he compartmentalizes putting with sings another yuy, yeah, absolutely great call, great call yeah, And and totally exact same thing, where these guys just didn't let their shitty putting bother them and they knew they were going to hit it well enough to maintain.
Speaker 2: And then.
Speaker 1: Ben Hogan for that matter, fucking he tested fucking putting.
Speaker 17: Of course, he said they should be two different games, and before Lab I used to agree.
Speaker 6: In two weeks of wins, Glover doubled his career earnings in the previous five years out on tour, which included a win at the John Deere.
Speaker 17: By the way, what.
Speaker 1: Does that meant for the LAB business? How many putt?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 18: What?
Speaker 1: How obscene? Is this from a business perspective?
Speaker 17: It's obscene, but not catastrophic. Explain if he'd have won with a conventional directed force, it would have been catastrophic. I mean, we'd have had way more orders than we would have been able to fulfill in the next six months. It's been a massive explosion for sure. I mean business is virtually doubled overnight, but it didn't quadruple because it was a broomstick, so so which is interesting too, Like I have it in my head that if it had been Adam winning two weeks in a row. Yeah, Lucas's win definitely validated the technology in a lot of minds. For the for the avid golfer who knows who we are and starting to see him pop up at their country club and seeing them around wondering what these things about. Lucas winning definitely validated some of the tech. It also validated broomsticking because I think in the mind of the average golfer, I would say that him switching to a broom was probably more relevant in their minds than than the technology in that room. And so it's been really funny. I would I guarantee guarantee that we've broke an all time global broomstick sales record in the last two weeks.
Speaker 9: This is what like give me like you you went from like selling five putters a week or whatever the number was.
Speaker 17: We sold more broomsticks in the last week than we had in the last two years combined. We had one we had one one entity.
Speaker 2: What they called uh.
Speaker 17: Golf Golf Supply like in Alabama or something like that called up the next dame about one hundred and twenty brooms, which is greaty.
Speaker 5: They sell it five hundred bucks apiece or or or seven Yeah.
Speaker 17: Yeah, I mean we we got all kinds of fun custom upgrades. I think if you're growing straight steel, yeah, maybe it's like five fifty five seventy five something like that. Next shaft up is going to be six fifty, which is probably the acroshaft, which is probably the most popular of everybody ordering these things up. And then you know you put the the you know, a couple other high end chefts that we have in there. You know, you spend a thousand bucks pretty quick on one of those things. And yeah, I mean it's been crazy, and so we've got so many first time broomstickers, which, like I said, I think if it was Adam, I don't think it would have had that effect. It might have had the effect, it would have had the effect on lab like it would have had. You know, we would have seen massive sales increases and all that, but I don't think it would have been nearly as broomstick specific as it was with Lucas because of how well documented his short putting woes were.
Speaker 2: And so.
Speaker 17: You know in the way he's telling the story too, kind of I think makes broomsticking seem like less intimidating, less scary. By the way.
Speaker 2: I love putting with a broomstick.
Speaker 17: It's an awesome way to put and I had never touched one until we started prototyping for Adam, and I developed my own technique on my own, just most of so I could figure out which feels good and understand the feedback that he was giving us on how to make these things and how they were supposed to look and feel and whatever. And I think it's an incredible way to putt. And it's just so funny, like when people grab it. When I'm putting with one, and people grab it to try it. You got four seconds. They pull it back. It's so heavy, they feel it fall to the inside, they loop it around. It feels all completely out of control, and they're like, geek, not for me, and they don't give it another try when all it takes is another fifteen seconds and somebody's saying like, no, this is how you make it work, and then it'll work.
Speaker 6: Back to Adam Beach, owner of my Golf Spy and independent company testing anything in everything, A golfer buys and uses.
Speaker 9: What are your thoughts knowing what you know about LAB putters and this technology, and then knowing how hard it is to keep your card and be Lucas Glover and then to win back to back, what are your thoughts on that?
Speaker 5: Is it validation or is it a some.
Speaker 9: Or what.
Speaker 19: Lots of golfers over the history of time have found the putter that work for them, right, So LAB is not unique in that. Right, Lucas Glover found the putter that is working for him.
Speaker 2: That's great.
Speaker 19: But the interesting thing is we're finding that with so many people and it's not broken out into the tour yet because it is an oddity. So where you're seeing it is and people that were willing to take a chance to solve a really hard problem.
Speaker 16: Adam Scott.
Speaker 19: A lot of the people on the live you're seeing play with it, Lucas Glover, and it's solving the problem. But what you're not seeing on TV because they don't cover amateurs, is this putter is solving problems like that for people all over the world that aren't professional golfers, which is the really cool thing.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 19: The other thing too, that I think is great for Lucas Glover Lab golfers in general is like you said, at the end of a tournament, the camera is focused on the putter, right, And if a putter can win a big tournament, go back to Payne Stewart and Seymour Putters. I was actually involved with Seymour Putters at a time like that, and I remember there were thirty thousand orders that came in and actually bankrupted the company because they couldn't keep up with the orders. LAB is going to have a similar situation. And here's why. If it was just a Scottie Cameron winning, a few people would go out and buy it. But not only is this putter winning and helping a golfer, but it's such a polarizing looking design like Seymour's was back in the day that people go Every golfer is looking for the solution, the club that can take them from a ninety to seventy two, and they actually think there's a single club for a training aid.
Speaker 14: That can do that.
Speaker 19: So this gives them hope, right, and every golfer is looking for hope. I just talked to my dad. He's eighty years old, and look, he's never figured it out. But he calls me, he said, I think I finally figured it out. So Okay, sure, I mean he's still he's still got that hope.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 19: So when people see that lab putter, help a guy like Lucas Sclover that has had the yips with a putter, and they they also relate to that struggle because all of us have struggled like that. That's human, right, that's amateur. And now see an amateur be able to put as well as he has with this putter.
Speaker 2: That's real.
Speaker 19: I mean, it's just authentic.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 8: You can't you can't.
Speaker 6: You can't manufacture that from Adam Beach to Adam Scott.
Speaker 9: Okay, now here comes Lucas Glover. Where where at what point? At what point do you uh, where was it or how was it in which you had a conversation which you know, Lucas ultimately ends up with a lab in his bag?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't. I don't know.
Speaker 20: What I did notice this year wash and last year was a few guys came to talk to me about it. Charles Waltzel talked to me about it last year at the Byron Nelson and Thursday morning he was still unsure whether.
Speaker 2: He should put it in or not?
Speaker 20: Uh, And I said, well, you know, I'm not here to tell you whether you should put it in play or not, but why don't you just do the same things you did in practice, which she told me was so good today. How it couldn't be worse, Like he wasn't putting or playing particularly well. I said, I don't think it can be worse, so you should just think of it the same you were making everything you said, And he went out and made like twenty six birdies that week and shot twenty something under and finished top ten for his first top ten in a few years on the tour. And he then left to live but he won the first live event with the lab. You know, kind of a little bit out of nowhere, respectfully saying that about a Master's champion, but you know, he had him in playing well. And then this year I kept watching more and more guys put labs in play around the world, and I saw Ben Arnes. James Hahn first switched and he led strokes game putting his first week in Hilton Head. Ben Arnes switched and turned his game around. That was kind of midway through the season, and that about the same time Lucas Glover opped in and put it in play as well, and obviously we saw very well what he did, you know, And to me, it just looks like it's complimenting the rest of their games, is what it looks like it's doing, and giving them the freedom to play the way that they know they can, and obviously giving them a hell of a lot of confidence to go out and make some putts on the greens.
Speaker 9: Lucas being an example of obviously the wherewithal or the perseverance and the toughness to do what he has done, which is keep his card for for so long, regardless of putting struggles for so long, very very very famously infamously now at this point where he just you know, we saw him. Every anybody who's a golfer can somewhat relate to just that, that pain and the the optics of it all. Just so nobody wants to look right and then and then to go on and uh and to win back to back against formidable fields and and and literally resurrect his whole career. Do you you do you remember any kind of conversation you had with him, or or anything in which did he come to you, did you did you at that point then become almost like the shepherd or the sherpa, helping people get up to the to the top to the top of their mountains.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 20: No, I joked that we're starting a little bit of a cult and we're going to have meetings every uh every Friday evening out there. But no, Lucas didn't come to me. But you know, we played college golf at the same time. We are similar age and we've known each other a long time. Uh, And you know, he's he's a think his mind. I don't know much about his game and what he gets up to with his game, but you know, here's a guy who likes doing crosswords to activate his brain. And you know he's a smart guy. And there's no doubt that when you're struggling with your putting like he has, it's just it's just such hard work. You know, anyone who's felt a tough time on the greens can relate. You know, I think back to that. My frustration levels was so high in twenty ten, with good putting and bad putting. I just didn't know what was going to show up. It was either good or terrible, and I just couldn't do it anymore.
Speaker 8: So I said, that's it.
Speaker 20: I'm going to learn something new. Yeah, I see more guys doing it. And it doesn't it doesn't have to be a broomstick. I just feel like I've just been on a search for the last ten years and like, what is the best piece of equipment that will help me hit more good putts? And you know, that's kind of the path I'm still going down. And I think, you know, a lot of the tech, all the technology in a lab start you in such a good place. You know you're getting you're giving yourself a great chance before you've even moved it, and then when it moves, it moves better.
Speaker 6: To Kelly Slater, who we learned about in episodes three and four, was one of the early adopters of the lab Look and Results. It was Slater's putting at Pebble Beach that led Adam Scott to try and one.
Speaker 16: There's something there that's really special.
Speaker 10: And I'm really super glad to see that FROs are catching on to it, because that's what becomes accepted by the masses after that.
Speaker 16: But you know, to see Lucas when when.
Speaker 10: When obviously he's had some putting woes, over the years, and I think there was three or four in the top seven that same week. He's in the lab Putter. I think most of them on the MEZ. A couple of guys are on the directed force that I like. I prefer the directed force myself, but I think visually, if probably people have a problem with the directed force, they end up leaning towards the mez and trying that, and it just for me, it didn't. It didn't square up as well as the directed force.
Speaker 16: It does for me.
Speaker 10: But you know, Charles Howe's using them as Adams using them as I think Lucas using them as Yeah, I've I've bought a few for other people too, or ordered some. I actually played with Obama and he was he was checking the buttter out, like what is this thing?
Speaker 16: So I had Sam sending one. It's just been a fun journey.
Speaker 10: I really enjoyed feeling like I have some small partner, but also watching something that I knew was great start to become something.
Speaker 16: And it's fun to feel like you're like going on that journey with them.
Speaker 9: You know, little validation, right, little validation of your instincts, your sense of technology of validation for them and what their their journey as a company. I mean I would imagine all of that just and then to watch Lucas the ultimate grinder, who's kept his card for ten years regardless of all these putting wo for him to go back to back, all of it is like such feel good.
Speaker 16: It's insane.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I get goosebumps when you just said that, because it's so cool.
Speaker 9: Man.
Speaker 16: It's yeah.
Speaker 10: I mean, I love seeing my friends succeed, and so it's great. You know, Sam and I have become buddies over the last few years, and I just love that it's being accepted and and and sort of run with by people. You know, A one putt two putts in any tournament changes these guys' lives. Yeah, like, but it's it's amazing, and I'm surprised that I'm surprised none of the big guys have seen this and tried.
Speaker 16: To come in and buy the company.
Speaker 10: And I think now that it's finding its own footing, it's maybe it's too late.
Speaker 13: You know.
Speaker 9: There is telling me that they were all playing, like Liam, the Rep, and the skuy madd who works with them, and they're all in these three different groups playing their tournament.
Speaker 1: When Lucas was at the window.
Speaker 9: And they all ran and they just ran to each other and jumped up and hugged and celebrated when they when you, yeah, it's and they've now doubled the sale. The total sales of the company up to this point has doubled in the last month.
Speaker 10: No, that's amazing, man, Now cool is that what a success story?
Speaker 2: Great?
Speaker 10: It's a snowball, you know, because not just the pros now so many more people are gonna be seeing that putter at their courses, and then more people, oh let me try that. Oh my god, I gotta get one of those. It's just it's gonna be like it's a sensation. I just knew it was kind of bubbling below the surface and at some point everyone's.
Speaker 16: Gonna go, Okay, we get it.
Speaker 10: A product like this is like it reversed as the sponsorship thing, where like the player has to pay a little back to the company. That'd be kind of funny.
Speaker 6: It was Brett Rumford, the Australian journeyman and short game guru back in episode five, who said something similar as it relates eats the ball and equipment deals, especially relating to the putter. Here he is again reflecting on Glover's wins.
Speaker 21: If you're a yipper, I mean, that's another world, isn't it. I Mean that's like he's come from the full on world of yipping. Like that's like that goes beyond a sales pitch. That to me, to take someone that for fifty was it fifty nine or sixty you had that part from a foot and almost came out of the circle te of the Scotty Cameron that who was using like almost missed, almost missed the golf ball from foot and a half.
Speaker 13: You missed the whole by about two inches.
Speaker 21: This is a guy that's on an absolute runner, like he's he's got a put for fifty nine, so, which is crazy.
Speaker 13: But when that starts to set in, it's in.
Speaker 21: But when you take someone that's that's a yipper to a back to back winner like that, that goes beyond the sales pitch, That just goes beyond, you know, that's that's more the intuitive awareness that unlocks certain things with an player that just frees them up, doesn't it. You know, just that giving up control. He's you know, maybe for the first time in his career. You know, he's literally just given up control. He's had the feeling of it anyway that he doesn't have to have this you know control that we all have on the putter, so which is just amazing. And that's just like walking my analogy from before. It's it's really hard to try and give up that control. But I think the technology is is that there's just there's just no micro muscles that's holding up any part of the putter. So all you're doing is holding up sure the part of whatever lineboard that's in, you're holding up the mass of the putter, but there's this zero twist in your hands, so I mean you can literally just put it with two.
Speaker 13: Fingers and the thing just just swings by itself.
Speaker 21: It's an amazing story, but it's you know, there's so many facets to it that could be basically analyzed and broken down. And I'm sure there's there's sykes out there that just what I spend thirty minutes with him speaking. I'm sure there's like the brain connection everything else. Like psychologists are kind to basically say, yeah, that was me. I'll be working with him for the last three months, you know, studies put it, you know, says putting his hand up and I'm sure it's a bit of a concoction of everything. But for me, it is like I say to my dad. You know, for all these psyche gurus that are out there, I said to my dad, I give him like a five stack of books. You know, these guys here are like working with the best players on the PGA tour.
Speaker 13: So read that, Read all those books, and you'll be on the seniors tour next year. He plays off twelve.
Speaker 21: But there's still a point, right, there's still a point where there's the genius of the player, you know, the talent of the player that's played, you know for his whole life. There's still that that work ethic that you need, isn't it.
Speaker 13: Then you need the information on top of it. It's a bit of a blood of everything.
Speaker 21: But and then when you get this, you know, this technology in his hands. You know, he's got the golf and DNA, he knows how to play the game. All of a sudden, it just it just frees him up and unlocks that that player within, doesn't it. And all of a sudden it now just becomes he's a ball striker. And now he's got the feeling that he's a winner. And then that's that's a powerful concoction.
Speaker 6: Liam Bedford of lab Golf, who built Glover's original putter.
Speaker 22: That is my number one objective is to help people play better. That doesn't matter who it is. If I can help someone put better, I've done my job. Like that's what I feel like my job is. All I want to do is help people put better. And even if that's not even in our product, Like if I can, if I can go out to the tour, a tour event, and you know I will, we will be will be messed around with a bunch of different putters and then there's I mentioned something that they notice and they start feeling something different and they start rolling in all parts. Like that's all I can ask for. If you use my part of that's just a bonus, but it is cool. Like I worked in the customer service team for my first year with the company, and the amount of emails we used to get, even back when we're small, like of you guys have changed my golfing career, like golf life, like I now love I hate a dreaded getting on the greens and now that's my favorite part of the game. And like just getting those emails, because there was a bunch a lot of times that we were we were a small company, were bugged down. We didn't have enough people to do all of the jobs, and sometimes it was pretty overwhelming. But then you'd get, you know, once a week, twice a week, you'd get these emails from guys that would just make all of it okay. It just be like, all right, this is this is why we put in the hard work, and this is why we work so hard, is to help these guys and make people enjoy golf more.
Speaker 6: Stuart Smith, an accomplished pro from Reno, an early adopter of lie angle and balance, who we heard from in episode two.
Speaker 18: You can only applaud Lucas Glover. I mean, eventually, I think what I've heard. We hear many definitions of the yips, and basically it comes down to where you're expecting, you're mechanically you're not able to meet your expectations, so it creates an anxiety and once you're in that situation, it just.
Speaker 13: It just kicks in.
Speaker 18: So for him to overcome that and probably not even fully yet, we still know that he's liable to miss from eighteen inches. Still always such a great bass striker, but he has something that he believes in. Now he's been able to maybe wrestle that demon away from himself to where he can literally step in and keep a clear mind and roll it like he knows that he that he can.
Speaker 16: We all believe we can.
Speaker 18: I mean I suffered with the Yipps as well, where I would have never went to anchor and anchoring the putter still probably putting mediocre at best, maybe there, but still it's just that it's that one little thing that has helped him overcome and maybe that has helped him either mechanically to now meet his expectations better when he's putting in an event or has pressure on him, and he's able now to perform right without anxiety. That's the whole deal. You perform without anxiety, and the lab Hutter will l A B. Hudder will help you overcome some of those demons. I'm a big believer in.
Speaker 9: That if you talk to Bill or send him a text or any any interaction of congratulations or kind of thoughts on feeling like you're the company and the technology and everything that you've seen and used and believed in for so long has been validated at this point Oh.
Speaker 18: Yeah, I mean Bill and I talked pretty regularly, so he's still you know, he I never know when he is coming in town, but he's always asked me to play golf. We we usually always go out and play. Funny enough, we'll use our La B putters, but we'll go out and use some old forged irons and some Persimmon clubs, and he loves to play these hickory sticks. So usually I'll take my per Simmons and my sixties irons out and he'll take his hick resticks and we just go out and we kind of have a blast, but the La B putter stays in the bag.
Speaker 6: And once again we'll end this episode with the man and who started it all, Bill Pressey, who as a kid in mcwan, Wisconsin, in a basement tinkering with clubs. His grandfather once told him there are four ways to make money. You can win it, marry it, sell it, or invent it. As we learned in episode two, Pressey went from living and working out of his car to inventing the revealer and the technology behind lie angle and balance, and he did it in his garage.
Speaker 9: What has been the uptick in business? Can you quantify for me the difference between where you were in June to where you are in August, now that Lucas has gone back to back.
Speaker 23: Yeah, I suppose it's a dicey question. But the next day broomstick sales for pass shortcutter sales. That's pretty big. That's a big that's a big big. I don't know if it's still I haven't seen the recent sales reports. But just like when Jack won with the response, the same things happened the LAB. There's no I can't put numbers out there, but it's off the hook, and I feel bad for all all of our workers and the builders are just double time over time, expanding, hiring, training, to scale up to keep this demand. Thank god we didn't get a tour win earlier. Thank god, because I wouldn't have been able to capitalize LAB, we wouldn't have been able to keep up. If this is what happens when you win a tournament, thank god it didn't happen earlier. I mean, it would have been cool, but yeah, that's the business sense of it. The dangerous thing about business is you can sell so much you'll put you out of business. And there's so sort of grow and sustain growth is uh, you have to be scaled to take advantage when you when the time does come, and you don't want that time to come too soon.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 9: Do you get the sense that they're within this story? There is there is a sense of hope and uh and and inspiration that people can garner from your story, you know, Uh, Lucas's story.
Speaker 1: You see what I'm saying, Like.
Speaker 9: Kelly's story, there is something here beyond. There's something at work far beyond like a putter.
Speaker 23: Yeah, there's.
Speaker 16: I think it comes from within.
Speaker 23: I mean, you're doing your theme right, and you've been with some pretty big companies before, and you know, there's something that drives us to do this, and whether it's resetting our own expectations for what we want in life. And I had always had a desire to contribute to the golf, the history of golf. And I was always a very skilled, you know, persuemon club repairman and refinisher, and I worked, you know, I learned the old old clubs and the whole trade. And I always felt that I had a calling. And I told this to my friends in high school. I'm fifty almost fifty four, and I told him I'm going to change the golf industry. Didn't know how. I didn't know, but I knew way back then that I was going to have an impact, But I don't know.
Speaker 16: It wasn't.
Speaker 23: Consciously done or anything like that. It's just it's it's a drive from within to do something a dream and to you know, get out from under the machine. And uh, you know, when you when you wake up in the morning, the scariest thing is is knowing that you can do what you want to do, but also knowing that you gotta do what you got to do, because if you have the ability not to do that, nobody's gonna yell at you. And you have to make that conscious decision to work harder and sacrifice everything for years to achieve something.
Speaker 2: That you want.
Speaker 23: And I think along, I know my goalposts have moved over the years. When I started off, my expectations are far lower than where we're at now. Ah for sure. I mean even in the director forced days, it was just to make a little putter company so I I could stop teaching full time at Golf Tech and raise my kid because I was a single parent and so you only have so much time in the day to cook clean, you know, get the kid to school and do all this stuff. And so when you're working forty to fifty hours a week to pay the mortgage and do all that stuff, I decided right then and there that I wanted a different life than to work for somebody. And golf Tech was a great organization. I learned so much from golf Tech, but the reality was it wasn't mine, and I wanted something that was mine.
Speaker 14: And when I.
Speaker 23: Found the opportunity to expose the bullshit of face balance and toe hang marketing being a golf pro, I saw that immediately, and I'm like, oh, I'm gonna watch this thing. I'm going to ride this I'm going to ride this pony and this revealer into the sunset. And you know, you got to go through a lot of hills and valleys to get to that sunset. It's a hell of a ride.
Speaker 9: It's sometimes the best story is your own story. And I gotta feel like, I'm not sure you're ever gonna stumble upon a better story than your own story.
Speaker 23: It's been a long ride, you know, I overcame a lot. It's hard to talk about.
Speaker 3: Put another long fire. Nobody here getting tired settle down, and sudden in the story here is about to begin, the circles starting to take its shape, seats filled and the tiredsome landsns escape, and everybody's got some glory, just wait on to unfold. Everybody's got some story, Just wait un to be too. The place for.
Speaker 9: That is here.
Speaker 3: All those smiles and all those tears, Let them go. Put another log on the fire. Nobody hears getting tired, Settle down, and settle in the story hears about to begin. Tales were told of war and going, lovers lost in a lifetimes dreams our soul. Maybe you should stop and listen at the wisdom and me. Maybe you should pour your heart out.
Speaker 9: We ain't going the way.
Speaker 3: Find your mercy and the sound as the smoke gets pushed around in your soul. Put another log on the five Nobody hears getting tired, Settle down, and settle in the story hears about to begin. The story hears about to begin. The story hears about to begin,