Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys.
Speaker 1: This He's Talking Cowboys, straining live from the.
Speaker 3: Dallas Cowboys World Course at the Star in Frisco.
Speaker 4: Welcome to Talking Cowboys, presented by Black Rifle Coffee, the officeral coffee sponsor of the Dallas Cowboys. Lie from the Star in Frisco. Here in the s w b C Mortgage Studios.
Speaker 5: And it's time.
Speaker 4: It's time.
Speaker 6: For that.
Speaker 5: Dude.
Speaker 4: We have Nick her I don't think so. I don't think so.
Speaker 7: Maybe for some specific listeners car speakers at Nick Harris DC.
Speaker 4: Right, yeah, yeah, that's what it is. At isaya stand back, I am stand back. We got Christopher Biemer in the back. I am Josh Rodriguez filling in for Kyle Yeomans, who's not here for some reason. I don't know why.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 4: And then we got Christopher H. Beamer in the back seven series. Actually I don't know middle h. I just made it up.
Speaker 8: What is it, Chris, It's p Peter, Paul, Paul, it's my name.
Speaker 4: All right, boys, all right, let's get to this really really quick. First, the Mavericks and the Stars are in their respective conference championship. Congrats to them, Shouts to them, Dallas teams getting to the conference championships. How's it feel, guys.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's I'm I'm the Stars fan. I'm not necessarily a Mavericks fan, but I am respecting the look. I'm respecting the Mavericks run and of the the heat buddy, exactly of the team's left. I am rooting for the Mavericks. So I hope they get the job done. But it's been awesome to see the Stars kind of rattle off what they've been got going on. They both have really tough matchups here in the next here in the conference finals, though, so it's gonna be really fun. I'm excited for it.
Speaker 4: How you feeling, Isaiamh.
Speaker 5: I think it's dope. Yeah, you know, I don't watch a lot of basketball. Actually, I don't watch any basketball, but I did see the ending of their game. Well, so that's pretty cool. I know everybody's really excited about them. I know Mark Cuban has been working on that squad for some years now. Is dope to see Irving and Luca really kind of finally meshing to see somebody's playing really come to fruition I think is always pretty awesome, especially from the sports management side. So kudos to the MAVs. The Stars are doing Stars things that they've had that roster for a minute. They've added a couple of young pieces. You know, I've watched the Stars over the past few years because of my Seattle cracking that are sitting at.
Speaker 7: The crib watch them get cracked.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they got cracked this year. This year there trash, but we got rid of our coach, which I think was a major problem. So congrats to the Stars. And yeah, the Rangers, you know, did their thing last year. Rangers, Stars, mav Does that put at least.
Speaker 4: My first question, at least to my first question? Does that put any added emphasis on Cowboys expectations on the Cowboys for getting to a conference championship this year?
Speaker 7: I don't think it's any different. We also can't forget the Dallas Wings went to the conference championship.
Speaker 4: Oh oh them.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I don't think it's and I don't think it's any more than it's that it has been, you know, for the last twenty some odd years. Yeah, sure, there's probably a little bit more fan anks to whenever they see the rest of the teams in the city doing a reaching expectation or exceeding expectations. Someone posted a graphic that was like ten thousand plus days since the Dallas Cowboys reached a an NFC championship game, you know, compared to everybody else's now is like one day, two days, and then yeah, one hundred days for the Rangers. I don't know, man, I one of the dumbest questions, and forgive me a person on.
Speaker 4: X that said this, but h officially X now officially X. They asked, is it making the Cowboys ear relevant in doubts?
Speaker 5: Oh? No, that's silly.
Speaker 4: And I said, you're a big dummy, dumb dumb you said that. I said that harsh words. Dummy, dumb, dumb, dummy, dumb dumb, big stupid dude. No, I like, what what are you doing? You know what I mean, Like, what do you really.
Speaker 5: Think trolling that's what they're doing.
Speaker 4: Do you actually think that?
Speaker 5: No, they don't believe that. In their heart. The Dallas Cowboys are the largest sports brand in the world sports, sports, sports. I'm not just talking about football the world. So I mean, we're blessed to be sitting here talking about that, you know.
Speaker 4: That's actual football and then also the other football that nobody cares actually.
Speaker 5: So yeah, so I mean that the Cowboys will always be the Cowboys. Shout out to all the fellas from the nineties that really along with Double J for making this brand what it is. For everybody in the world being able to acknowledge what the Dallas Cowboys are. I don't care where you are in the world, they know that star and that said is a lot not only about Double J, but it says a lot about those guys in the nineties that were running on a terror for a number of years and which is hard to do. It's hard to do in the NFL, especially especially in the NFL where there's cap restrictions and all that jazz. So a lot of kudos to them.
Speaker 7: It wasn't then necessarily there wasn't cap restrictions then necessarily.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, but I mean the league there's a lot more restraints on football teams and there are saved for like baseball, you know, like there's the Yankees are are a big brand, but some of it kind of goes like I don't give it some of it any credit because it's like you can spend as much money as you want to get who you want versus in football, you gotta work really hard from the managerial standpoint, you really put together your roster year after year, which is why what New England did was so incredible, right, It was so incredible because you know that you have to make things work right with a lot less, especially the more success that you have.
Speaker 4: So, yeah, it doesn't hurt that you have the greatest quarterback probably of all time.
Speaker 5: That doesn't hurt at all. I mean, but even still the Patriots, when you hear the Patriots name and you hear the Cowboys name, you want to watch the Cowboys. Even with all the success that the Patriots had and all the guys who made those teams successful, whether it be the Dallas Cowboys or whether it be the New England Patriots, they're no longer in the building. Yeah, the coaches are no longer in the building, and yet when you hear those two brands, you still want to tune in for the Cowboys. So that says something.
Speaker 4: I think that's true, And I think the guy was trying to make a point where it's like irrelevant in Dallas, like specifically in Dallas with all these other teams doing well, and I like, again, I just I think that's a dumb.
Speaker 7: Question that shows along the same lines of the certain faction of the fan base this offseason. That's like, Hey, we should stop buying tickets, we should stop buying merch, stop listening to our podcast, go ahead, go ahead to try and boycott the Cowboys so that they understand that they need to do something this offseason to get us back. And it's like, well, but we're only hurting yourself.
Speaker 5: Dog. Hey, you're a.
Speaker 4: Listening to a Dallas Cowboys podcast in May by the way, just just f yi, it's an off season edition of Talking Cowboys. So it's like, and if those people would not be.
Speaker 5: Listening right now, if we've been watching, we're gonna watch YouTube a million times, just make our numbers go up.
Speaker 4: I just mean, like, it's it's a it's a question for sure, all right? Moving on the faith fight finished foundation? Uh, Dak Prescott's foundation held an event over the weekend or I guess the last Friday, right, CD was there, and then of course Dak was asked about his contract. You know again, Uh, Nick, do you want to share any updates from that? Yeah? I wasn't there.
Speaker 7: Yeah, right, So this was this would have been more so something for John here, but I was able to attend this event last year, and basically it's it's his foundation to UH help with breast cancer awareness as well as suicide awareness. You know, he lost Dak Prescott, lost his mother to breast cancer, lost his brother to suicide. So the faith fight finish, it's it's all kind of comes together for UH Dak Prescott's foundation and to raise money for it. There's silent auctions.
Speaker 4: There's also support for law enforcement in the community, and yeah, also assistants to families in need. Obviously a very great foundation. But to add to that, I just thought it was interesting that, you know, everyone's still talking about his contract. Yeah, he's putting on this really great event.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Absolutely, And if some people recall to the draft, I believe it was for the Kaitlin Carson pick in the fifth round where the International Fan of the Year went up on stage and said that Dak Prescott saved his life. He was able to finally meet Dak at that event last Friday night, which was really cool to see those two come together, and really cool moment for Eduardo Flores and.
Speaker 4: He got the star treatment. Too, he walked the car Star treat.
Speaker 7: Yeah, but yeah, I mean, I think when it comes to Dak's contract situation, there's no update until there's an update, you know, in my in my eyes, yes, every time that he comes into the spotlight and every time that he comes out into the public and he's asked about it, he's probably gonna give the same answer until there's an update. So I mean, for me, I'm I'm along the same lines of he's not trying to break into this exactly exactly, and he's not going to that's that's not his style, even if even if that would help him in this in this case, I don't think that's his style necessarily. So Isaiah is under the impression that he's going to play the season out under under the final year of his deal. I'm kind of fifty to fifty on it, you know. I think something could get done at training camp, I really do. But it was like, right, yeah, but also it wouldn't surprise.
Speaker 4: Me if we don't know anything, but just the feeling and the vibe is like if it happens, training camp is where it happens.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think now though you look at the urgency to get other deals done. Dak is not the one that's getting ready to hold out of OTAs this week. It's Ceedee Lamb and Michael Parsons. Now, Michael Parsons, I don't think that's contract related. I think that's just because you know, Mike is doing a separate offseason thing like he did last year. But you still had factor that in because you look at these big three contracts. They haven't been making moves this offseason because of these big three contracts, you know, not only to give them flexibility this year, but also to understand that they're gonna need that money in different places in twenty twenty five and twenty twenty six. And those different places are these three guys. So they need to get these things done sooner rather than later. But I mean, if you're Ceedee Lamb, why do you get it done before, Justin Jefferson, If you're Dak Prescott, why do you get it done before? You could probably have more leverage and more a bigger opportunity to get more money next off season. You know, if you're Michael Parsons, why do it now when you could have a better year next year and up your price. So I mean it's a weird limbo that the Cowboys have found themselves in. Did they put themselves in this situation?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 7: Probably, But that's where they're at, and that's I don't think there's gonna be any movement until one of those three pops. I think once one of them do, I think that's when you kind of start seeing dominoing a little bit a little bit.
Speaker 4: And if they're waiting till next season, like next season's salary cap situation is even worse. So I think that you I would hope that the cow was want to get at least one of those done on the you know.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it would be even worse if they don't get them done. Yeah, it would be even worse. Now if they do, then their's flexibility to be created. But that's that's, Uh, that's where you're at with it.
Speaker 4: Well, you mentioned cd CD was at the foundation. I believe he was interviewed on I don't know if there were interesting quotes about no, nothing nothing there, Yeah, nothing there yet And he won't be at ot as the organized team activities that are going on this week. Granted those are optional, those are voluntary. Uh, we won't get into the mandatory until I believe it's next week with June four through sixth four through six with the mini camps. Isaiah coming from OTAs like do you first of all, do you miss OTAs? No?
Speaker 5: No, I don't, not one bit. But they're important. They are important in terms of just getting back into the swing of things, getting used to waking up again, getting up, going to workouts, getting outside you know, obviously lifting with the team, going outside, doing your conditioning, doing your routes, you know, all the things that you that you need to do. Your calls, you know, a little brief install type stuff. And then the meetings. The meetings, especially when you have a new coach staff on one side of the ball, is very important because you need to get up on game as soon as possible and get confident. It's not just about instilling a playbook and a system and a strategy and all that jazz, but it's also about being able to just react when you hear it right and be fully confident no matter what you see. If I see, say we're playing cover two, okay, this is a cover two. This is my shade on the defensive front versus this type of look, versus three by one. But if they come out in a two by two. What the heck do I do? You know, I need to be able to react to that. I don't want to be thinking about what did it look like on paper?
Speaker 6: Again?
Speaker 5: Okay on page seventy seven, all right, they shifted over, you know, So you want to just be able to react. So by the time training camp comes, you're literally just playing, and now a coach can start manipulating you in positions and start playing with your strengths and how you play with somebody else. Right, we might work really well together me and they might not work that great together in this particular package. So you want to get all those things hammered out as early as possible. So when you have guys missing, it kind of sucks. But when they're those the type of players like mikeh CD, you're gonna be perfectly fine. But it's still I think, at least for defensive side of the ball, is going to have an impact on Zimber's ability to really hit the ground running immediately, but he'll work around it. By front of player's perspective, OTAs are important for majority of the players.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's that's something I was kind of thinking about as I was driving in this morning, Clarence Hilla tweeted out that Cedee Lamb is not here for the start of OTAs and Michael Parsons is not here for the start of OTAs, and the Micah thing was what kind of got my brain jogging a little bit. Just because they're going into the first year under that new defensive system, will Micah's role look a little bit different? Who knows? I mean, he's the most important player on the defense in my opinion, and it's I think having him on the field for these OTAs would definitely help. But you would have to assume that there's been communication, had to know that he's not going to be in the building for this week, and then you just kind of roll with the just on that maybe he comes midway through OTAs. Who knows, there's we don't know what the plan is there.
Speaker 4: And to kind of backtrack a little bit, is there kind of no concern for you for CD not attending OTAs? I mean, is it more so Mica than anything?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I don't have any concern for CD not not here.
Speaker 4: Is the offense is still in places.
Speaker 5: The same offense. You have to assume my understanding for what we used to do you have to assume that that CD and Dak are still throwing.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and Dak has said that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and he has a whole field at his house, right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so yeah, the dockyard the day.
Speaker 5: I'm pretty sure they're getting plenty of reps in. So it's it's about business right now. For CD, it's just purely about business. And anybody who's taking that personally, you'll be okay. Yeah.
Speaker 4: And again again it's voluntary.
Speaker 5: I mean, it's voluntary even when it becomes mandatory. It's about business. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Business first. All right, boys, let's go ahead and take our first break. Let's take an early one. When we come back, we'll be discussing more about the schedule. We have the whole schedule basically to review. Right back after this.
Speaker 9: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the cheetah Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable. And now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has at and T five g. It is fast, reliable and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew at and t five G Fast, reliable, secure, It's not complicated.
Speaker 10: Five G requires compatable plan and device. Five G may not be available in your area. See att dot com slash by g for you for details.
Speaker 6: Black Rifle Coffee Company serves premium coffee to people who love America. When you drink Black Rifle Coffee, you are directly supporting veterans, law enforcement, and first responders in your community. Black Rifles expert roasters love coffee almost as much as Texas loves football, so it makes sense that America's coffee partner with America's team go online at Black Riflecoffee dot com and fuel up with the official coffee of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 4: That's Black Rifle Coffee dot Com.
Speaker 11: To fuel up today, Cowboys fans. After that move, We've just coined the term rowdy replay.
Speaker 5: Let's roll back the table.
Speaker 12: Okay, there's our mascot Rowdy cheering on the boys. And now he's on his phone on his Bank of America mobile banking app, staying on top of his finances with his virtual financial assistant Erica. Bank of America's digital tools are so impressive. Cowboys fans just can't stop banking. Learn more at Bank of America dot com slash Can't Stop Banking Everica.
Speaker 11: It is only available in the English language. You must download the latest version of the Mobile banking app, only available on Sole like mobile devices. Message data Raisy apply remember fbic.
Speaker 13: Welcome back into Dear Doctor, the show where I answer life's questions with an ice cold can of doctor Pepper. Sheila, let's hear from my next caller.
Speaker 5: Would you, Dear Doctor? My friend supported me during a tough time.
Speaker 14: But what's the right gift that says thanks for beinging the soldier.
Speaker 6: To cry out?
Speaker 13: Okay, this one's easy, I say, give her a delicious doctor Pepper. Nothing says thanks good better than one of a kind soda. Yes, any Doctor Pepper flavor will do.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 13: Just a reminder that I don't need to be a real doctor to know that Doctor Pepper is the one you deserve.
Speaker 4: To Talking Cowboys. Welcome back to Talking Cowboys. The official Wait Black Rifle is the official coffee sponsors Cowboys. They're presenting this podcast anyways. The next segment is brought to you by in vis A Line, the official smile of the Dallas Cowboys. All right, boys, let's get into it. We have the schedule to look at. We know, we got the schedule to look at. You gotta start with the preseason. Oh, we were talking about the preseason a second.
Speaker 5: We sure were.
Speaker 4: We got a Vegas game in there. That's pretty cool. And it's on a specific weekend.
Speaker 5: Huh oh, Bobs. So if you were ever going to have a fortieth birthday, people wanted to be on a Friday or Saturday night.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, what happens We're playing on Saturday night.
Speaker 5: You're playing on Saturday night, August seventeenth. Do you know what Friday night is? Is that Friday is August and sixteenth, which was.
Speaker 7: The day that Isaiah Standback was born all the way back in nineteen eighty four.
Speaker 5: So that means I am going to be in Vegas for my fortieth birthday.
Speaker 4: Congradulation.
Speaker 7: I just hope the dinner goes somewhat smoother than it did last year in Seattle. Can we tell that story really quick? Oh my gosh. Okay, So there was like what twelve people at that dinner, give or take, and at the end of the dinner about that At the end of the dinner. The waiter was gave us one ticket and he's like, yeah, if it's a party of more than four, it has to be paid on one ticket. And we're like, we're not doing that because the tab would have been like what like twenty five hundred dollars. So we're like, no, that's that's not gonna work. We need to break this down. So from the time he gave us that to breaking down every individual receipt, we were there like an hour for no exaggeration. Like by the end of it, I gave Haley Sutton my card. I was like, here, I don't care if I get it back, I'll see you tomorrow.
Speaker 4: And that was that was that.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that was The dinner was great and the people were great.
Speaker 5: Community was great. It was great. All my friends come through, had all my squad from Cowboys was there. It was It was a good time. This year. This year is gonna be real.
Speaker 4: Yeah in Vegas, in Vegas? What hotel you're taken over?
Speaker 5: I don't know. I don't know whoever wants to sponsor, whoever wants to sponsor me. I am turning up. I can tell you that I'll be fine for the game. The next day. I don't drink alcohol, so I'll be I'll be perfectly fine for the next day to call it called a game if I'm in a position to do so. But yeah, it's gonna be a good time.
Speaker 4: That's be a good one. So that's the preseason. So preseason yea, Rams, Raiders, Chargers, No surprise there. Let's get into the good stuff. We talked about the Browns last week. This first half of the schedule before the bye week is pretty insane.
Speaker 5: Yes it is. Somebody doesn't like the Cowboys.
Speaker 4: Brown Saints, Ravens, Giants, Steelers, Lions in the bye week on October twentieth.
Speaker 7: So go ahead, Josh, go ahead. No, how are we feeling about it this? Whenever you were looking at the opponents going into the schedule last last week, the opponents you knew you had, you knew you were going to be kind of facing an uphill battle at some point in the schedule last year, at some point, at some point last year was on the back half. It was in December, whenever you had Buffalo, Miami, Detroit, who else was in there?
Speaker 4: At Philly.
Speaker 7: This time it's front loaded, which I think plays Seattle. Last year, I think it plays a little bit in favor of the Cowboys because then you're not going into the playoffs off such a hard run there, whereas this time you're going into the playoffs. Yes you have a Week seventeen game against the Eagles, but yeah sixteen at home against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. But then you got the Panthers around that, the Commanders around that. So I mean, it's not as hard as the December. This year is not as hard as it was last year. But pre bye week last year, if the Cowboys come out this season and play pre bye week like they did last year, pre bye week, they're going into that bye week two and four, and that's and then you're going you had to play the forty nine ers coming out of that in Week eight. That's when you that's when you start looking at some some potential changes that could happen because you have thirty players that are going into the final year of their contract. You have a coach and a defensive coordinator that are going into the final year of their contracts.
Speaker 4: That's where I think it could get a little bit messy.
Speaker 7: But let's say this, whether they are able to get through that early storm after week eight or not unscathed. You have week nine through Week eighteen where you only have four playoff opponents from twenty twenty three. That can give them an opportunity to either catch up in the division or to build a lead in the division one way or the other. And I think that does help them at the end of the day. But they got to get through that first, that first goblet.
Speaker 5: Yeah. I don't know who made the schedule, but they clearly put baby powder on their hands and just slap the cowboys in the first partner to see it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 5: The first three games, That's that's a hard start.
Speaker 4: Brown Saints Ravens.
Speaker 5: Brown Saints Ravens. And I'm not talking about.
Speaker 4: This not familiar opponents.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm not talking about the Saints so much.
Speaker 4: Okay, But even so, that was another question I was going to ask as far as trap games go, Like, yea, you pull out one against the Browns and then play the Saints like you did the Cardinals last year. That's that's an ela.
Speaker 5: I mean, hopefully you learned from experience, But take the take those first three games. Cleveland and Baltimore are two of the best defenses in the league period pre like, yeah, period, a freaking period. And in Cleveland, to me, scares me from this. And they always talked about the too whatever. Okay, they got something, that's exactly. They got some freaking dogs over there in Cleveland, some pure dogs. And there's somebody on the offensive side of the ball who probably wants a little payback. So playing playing the Cleveland Browns at their healthiest against I'll call it what it is, the most dominating physical defensive player in the league.
Speaker 7: M yeah, I'll give you that.
Speaker 2: Give that.
Speaker 7: As far as power rushers go, there's not a better one in the league, right.
Speaker 5: The most dominant physical specimen in the league.
Speaker 4: That's fair.
Speaker 5: Michau's everybody's gonna say. Compare Micaeh. Micah Is is notch below in terms of abilities. To me, you talking about somebody is Miles Garret who literally just line up, no matter who you are, and put his hand in your chest and run you back into the quarterback. That's just one of his moves. Even Tyler God, even Tyler, well, you have a whole off season, Tyler uh soil, you're ready for this film? Is that your? I mean? The good news is he is a film buff. The good thing is Miles Garrett won't have film to watch, yeah of Tyler guy.
Speaker 4: That's fair. That's fair.
Speaker 7: That is fair.
Speaker 5: So that's that's the positive. So Cleveland is a is gives me the bubble guts. Okay, the Saints Okay, back at the crib like you're good. Baltimore comes in. You know what that is? Okay, you nately know what that is? You better? You better, you better put your jockstrap Bard.
Speaker 7: Who are you spying on Lamar Marvin Orshan if he's ready to go? Yeah, which the problem expectations training camp? So yeah, yeah, over showing lea foul based on whoever.
Speaker 5: It's gonna be interesting. It's gonna be interesting to see Zimmer's approach. First of all, obviously we gotta get through those first handful of games, but it's gonna be a very interesting to see his approach to that team, especially with the addition of King Henry. Yeah, it's gonna be that offense changes with King Henry back there.
Speaker 7: You have to have a defensive tackle for that.
Speaker 5: Game, exactly, exactly. So, I mean, I know we're getting the contest and the context of Zimmer's comments on Mazi, but Baltimore is dangerous for all the reason everybody knows. Okay, so those first three games give me the bubble gus. You'll know exactly who you are. Then you get into the Pittsburgh obviously in New York is New York Pittsburgh.
Speaker 7: On a second, this New York Thursday night game, you have to travel to New York off four days rest after most likely taking a beating against the Ravens. Physically, whether you win or lose that game, you're gonna take a beating in that not feel.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, I mean, I hear you that. I'm not until I see different. I'm not that concerned about New York. Obviously, every team's different going into every season. As of right now, I'm unbothered by them. Pittsburgh gives me a little bit of bubble gups just because I know they're coaching because of how well they're coached, and.
Speaker 4: Who knows where they're going to be at that.
Speaker 5: Who knows where they're going to be at that point. But I but what we do know is they're going to have a competitive quarterback play and that's something that's that's hurt them over the past few years. Right So that team with us, with the coach that they've always had and solid quarterback play. They could be a problem.
Speaker 4: May be the playoffs with Kenny Pikett exactly like so Pittsburgh.
Speaker 5: So I mean, look at Cleveland Browns one of the best defense in the league. Okay, Baltimore Ravens one of the best defenses in the league, Pittsburgh one of the best defense in the league. And then you got Detroit.
Speaker 4: Yeah, who wants paidback from last year?
Speaker 5: Oh, apps of freaking loutely. So that those four out of the first six games, that's tough. Man. To your point, I don't know what it may be at that point, we'll see. I'll give I'll give my statement after training camp. Okay, was I can see the squad. But there's four of the best defenses and teams in the first six games.
Speaker 4: And then you get the bye week after that cone.
Speaker 5: Which sucks because you don't want to buy week early. That's an early from a player's perspective, trust me, because your body, you're asking me now to play eleven regular season games straight.
Speaker 7: Yeah, potentilarly playoffs and then straight.
Speaker 5: Into the playoffs potentially based upon what I do during the regular season. Yeah, there's no breaks. Your body gets no rest. I would much rather have my bye week in the middle to the second half of the season, especially obviously if you have plans or realistic opportunities to go into the playoffs, because you want to be as fresh as possible. But you got your drawn. It is what it is. The other portion of the schedule that I hate, outside of those those first four out of six games is coming straight off of week eight, Week eight to week twelve, that next block, okay, after the bye, because the good thing is you get a chance to prepare for San Francisco, thank you, yes, yeah, and you're in in San fran Okay, that's gonna be that to me, obviously, everybody knows that's gonna be a challenge. Okay, San fran Atlanta young talent, we'll see where they're at. Okay, But then you go straight into Philly, straight into the Texans, and straightened to Dan Quinn, who has transformed his roster. We'll see where they're at.
Speaker 4: I believe that number.
Speaker 5: I believe he's gonna be very competitive this year. I truly believe that that team is gonna be very competitive with a bunch of just contributors, not big name guys. But guys who all know what the heck they're doing, do their job very well, and they're gonna probably sink and play very well together and communicate all those things. It's gonna be one of those teams where it's like they don't do nothing flashy, but dog on, they just they're there. They're in every game and if they get any quarterback play.
Speaker 4: I don't expect the Commanders to necessarily be a playoff team, but I definitely am expecting them to split their Eagles and Cowboys.
Speaker 5: Oh, I think they're in the conversation. I think as of right now, I think they're going to push that conversation.
Speaker 7: You think they have more of a chance with the Giants, Yes, I think that's fair.
Speaker 5: Yes, I think they pushed that conversation.
Speaker 8: That last year.
Speaker 5: Was that last year the year before, we had three teams, three out of four NFC East teams in the playoffs.
Speaker 7: Two years ago.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yes, I think I can foresee I can foresee that being one of those situations.
Speaker 7: Are they closer to the Giants for the Cowboys like you have them in the middle right there? Yeah, you think they're probably better than I think they're in the third spot.
Speaker 5: I think they're in the third spot in the NFC East behind the Cowboys.
Speaker 7: Yeah, you think they're closer to getting to Dallas or they closer to falling more so than.
Speaker 5: I don't want to make that statement yet.
Speaker 7: I'm curious where you're at.
Speaker 5: I do believe that they're going to be very competitive though. If you look at what they've done defensively roster wise, there's there's there's You should be concerned. You should be concerned with what he's added on defense. They've literally kicked everybody off the team and just said, okay, you know what now I want you you you you when you hey, Bobby come over here? Who else we got over here? And they just started grabbing guys. Got Bobby Dog all right, They got Boby Wagner in the middle of the defense, right, So smart cerebral players that know what they're doing, don't make mistakes, right. He puts some splash players around him. Got young talent out there, k on defense from the draft right and now on offense. O, K, you got a young got a young QB. But he also has Austin Eckler's and guys like that that can go out there and cause you issues. For matchups, so he was very strategic in terms of putting his roster together, enough time spent on Dan Quinn. But I think those guys gonna be competitive. So I think that San fran K, then obviously Ato, whatever, Philly, Texans, Washington. That's another four out of five games right there. That is a problem to me.
Speaker 4: And then you just have Cincinnati coming up next, and then you just have the Eagle.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think that. I think that New York, Cincinnati, Carolina. I think that's kind of like if you were gonna Cadillac it. I think that's your Cadillac season right there.
Speaker 4: Just just kind of chilling.
Speaker 5: Just chilling. I think. I think if you're in a good position after those games, those three games are gonna sem like a cake walk.
Speaker 7: Cincinnati, I don't think.
Speaker 5: I think Cincinnati. I don't think Cincinnati is what they used to be. I really don't. And I think they have too many problems in the locker room right now contract you with issues. I don't think they're all one unit. I think we're I think I think I think what we saw from them a couple of years ago, where they were a complete problem, I think that's gone. And I think They're gonna have to reinvent themselves. I truly, I don't think they have that identity anymore.
Speaker 7: What's a tougher game Monday night against Cincinnati at home or Sunday night against Tampa Bay at home.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna go Tampa. I'm going with Cincinnati because of Joe Burr's ha haircut. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 7: I saw that fake. That's a disappointment Tampa Bay.
Speaker 5: Now, yeah, yeah, man, Tampa's a defensive team too, right, So, I mean the offense is gonna have to step up. Offense got to step up. There's there's not a lot of teams out here that scare me offensively handful of teams, obviously.
Speaker 4: Are you more concerned about the Eagles this year than you are the Commanders?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 7: Absolutely, still absolutely, still absolutely.
Speaker 5: Yes, the answer is yes. But I don't I'm interested.
Speaker 4: You just seem very very hyped up concerned.
Speaker 5: I'm concerned. I really am concerned because I know what the energy of dan Quinn energy does and we've seen it. Yeah Yeaheta, It's not just one side of the ball that feels that. Yeah, So yes, I am. I mean I'm concerned about them. Philly, still Philly. We have to see what Kellen Moore is going to do.
Speaker 4: That's that is a new wrinkle. Yes it is this season.
Speaker 5: Yes, and we know Kellen Moore likes to throw it around.
Speaker 4: You kind of forget about that, you do forget about it.
Speaker 5: He had a little couple of stumbles down there in Los Angeles, but that but.
Speaker 4: The whole coaching situation, that whole coach.
Speaker 5: Situation was terrible. But outside of that tenure, he's been very successful at what he does, especially when he has weapons.
Speaker 7: Aside from the front end of the schedule that we've talked about many times as far as being a lot of really good defenses, a lot of physical teams. You look throughout the schedule, you see a lot of teams or just coach really well and physical teams. You're gonna need to come with a different approach than you had last year when it comes to physicality on the field, because you go into a game like Buffalo and you know what's gonna happen after the first drive. You go into a game like Green Bay, you know what's gonna happen after the first drive, and you can't have that happen this year because there's gonna be more than just the four or five games where that happens this specific schedule. You have about seven or eight games where that's the case, and you need to you need to be able to match that physicality. I mean you talk about the Bengals. Yes, they might not be the product that we've seen in yours past. Still a really physical team, still a really well coached team in my eyes. Zach Taylor does a fantastic job Tampa Bay, same way. I think Caroline is gonna be a little bit better this year. You gotta go back there again this year, Eagles twice. I mean, you're gonna have to do what's.
Speaker 5: Your most physical, physical game on the schedule.
Speaker 4: Ravens.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's Ravens outside, even more so Detroit and San fran.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's the Ravens. Yeah, because because you have to account for what's coming out of the backfield and you're gonna be having to take that hit multiple times throughout the game.
Speaker 5: Who's taking that hit on everybody?
Speaker 7: Whoever's played defensive tackle, whoever playing.
Speaker 5: Who's the first of contact on the inside.
Speaker 7: If it's not a defensive tackle getting signed, it's Eric Kendricks.
Speaker 4: Ravens one hundred percent for me.
Speaker 5: I think for those who don't know what he just said, that means that he's gonna be on the second level.
Speaker 4: Exactly exactly, Uh Derrick Henry for the Ravens, that's gonna be rough, man. I don't want to see that. I don't wan to see him runing out the middle. I just don't want to see him running, period. It's just you just take that week off, man about it.
Speaker 5: I think that's a tough question, man, I truly believe. I don't know what that looks like. Cleveland physical, Baltimore physical, Pittsburgh you best believe is gonna be physical, Detroit, Detroit physical, San fran physical. Yeah. I don't know what the answer is.
Speaker 4: And to think about beat up, they're going commanders, commanders too. They're gonna want to play.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, real tough.
Speaker 4: All right, boys, let's take our last break. Uh more talking cowboys.
Speaker 14: Right after this, they say champions are remembered, but legends are never forgotten. United Agon Turf offers a winning lineup of John Deere equipment built to tackle any challenge on and off the field. Legendary John Deere tractors combines residential mowers, commercial mowers, compact construction equipment, Hater utility vehicles, and a full line of golf and sports turf equipment. United Agon Turf the official agonturf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit United Dagonturf dot com to find a location near you.
Speaker 6: Are you ready to take coffee off your grocery list forever? Black Rifle Coffee Club is here to help. As a Coffee Club member, you'll get your favorite coffees, roasted package and ship to your door free of charge on your preferred schedule. Set it, forget it, and never run low on coffee again. Members also get exclusive deals on coffee products and discounts from partner brands. Ease your mind and let Black Rifle worry about your coffee supply. Go to Black Riflecoffee dot com to join the coffee Club today.
Speaker 11: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black, and right now, Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order.
Speaker 5: Plus.
Speaker 4: Because every deal needs a playmaker, your.
Speaker 11: Order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping.
Speaker 4: The Jack Black Playmaker is four.
Speaker 11: Of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy lipball. Make a play for the playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP.
Speaker 9: Tod thought it would be secure to jog in the cheetah Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable, and now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per But the good news is Todd has AT and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At and T five G. Fast, reliable, secure, It's not complicated.
Speaker 10: Five G requires compatible plan and device five G may not be available in your area. See att dot com slash five G for you for details.
Speaker 4: To Talking Cowboys. Welcome back to Talking Cowboys sponsored by Black Rifle Coffee, the official coffee sponsor of the Dallas Cowboys. Our next segment is brought to you by Our next and final segment is brought to you by Quaker Oats Super Trusted Superfood. Quaker Oats is the official oatmeal sponsor of the Dallas Cowboys. Boys, we got our oats in today, Yes, absolutely, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 7: I actually did have Waterburger this morning. Though it's a rare breakfast morning for me today. Still a sponsor technically my girls in town. She's like, can we get breakfast? I'm like, yeah, sure, come on, let's go water Burger.
Speaker 5: What a bees?
Speaker 4: Yeah exactly, Wow, I like it. Yeah. And also Quaker Oats and also Quacker Roads. Yeah, I had to get that in as well. All right, boys, last segment, I want to talk about Mosic Smith real quick. You kind of teased it earlier in the show. His weight, more so, a lot has been brought up about his weight, his uh using weight last season whenever he got I think he started at three point thirty and then went down at about two ninety seive what I thought he was covering more so around like three twenty three when he got here. I think it was what he was listed as last year. He was subbed three hundred by the end of the season. There was no official measurement at the end of the year, but he was looking so I test. But Mike's Zimmer actually talked about his weight and basically his conditioning last week. Do you want to kind of touch on that.
Speaker 13: Yeah.
Speaker 7: So it's it's weird because it's depending on who you talk to, you kind of get a different answer. As far as why that weight loss happened last year, Some kind of attributed it to him having that shoulder problem towards the end of the year and him not being able to get in the weight room as much. Some would attribute it to, you know, him being more conditioned last year than what he was used to a Michigan. Some would say that it was because they were trying to fit him under the dan Quinn defense under more so as a three tech rather than a one tech, which doesn't even make sense. I don't believe that sort of thinking, but that's what Mike Zimmer had kind.
Speaker 4: Of alluded to.
Speaker 5: Juris what caused it.
Speaker 7: It doesn't matter what caused it. Absolutely, it does not matter what caused it. He needs to be three twenty plus to play one tech and to be able to just hone in in the middle of that defensive line and be the guy there. He's got to do it this year. I believe they'll add another body there before camp. I'm pretty confident in that. And there's honestly, there's a couple of guys out there that I think could be better than Mazzie Smith was last year already. You know, I think there's a big concern around that position. Still, don't get me wrong, But there can be a body added to that group and it'd still be okay. But as far as Mazzie Smith goes his off season shoulder surgery, he's gonna have to come off that. He's gonna have to be able to rehab from that completely in time for training camp and be ready to hit the ground running at training camp because he's gonna have he's gonna have a couple of guys, not only Mike Zimmer, but also defensive line coach Jeff Scanina on his rear end to get him ready to go for week one.
Speaker 5: And from John Bashoda, he said, Coach Zimmer say, we're gonna start with the basics. Get him in a good stance, get him using his hands the right way.
Speaker 4: You have to do it. In John's voice though, no.
Speaker 5: No, I'm not doing that. We're gonna start with the basis, get him in a good stance, get him using his hands the right way, getting his footwork the right way, and then kind of go from there. We anticipate that he's gonna be a good player like he was in college.
Speaker 7: So he's saying that he was not a good player in your one. Correct there's an appearance something like that.
Speaker 4: Can we get him there?
Speaker 5: Yeah? There is? Yeah, that's what it sounds like. We're gonna anticipate that he's going to be going to be a good player like he was. Dude, what's up, bro?
Speaker 4: Welcome back Kyle Yeomans to the shows?
Speaker 5: What's that man?
Speaker 4: Fathers?
Speaker 2: I actually I walked in because I was doing an event, and first going I was like, wait, talking's on the air, Just like, come.
Speaker 4: Across the let me look. Okay, yeah you're gonna slip.
Speaker 2: Fine, Yeah, how's Beamer do? And in the back I haven't even talked to Beamer seventh series?
Speaker 4: He's fine, he said, you got to go.
Speaker 2: Actually, oh okay, I'm not on the clock, but I just wanted to say, hi, guys, a great job.
Speaker 4: Oh thanks man.
Speaker 2: Josh was feeling in great. I feel like I feel like we need to we need to talk about Josh.
Speaker 7: Yeah, being in here.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I like yeah, I like it.
Speaker 2: The uh the kids are doing great. Yes, all three.
Speaker 4: All three are homes, which is trial baby, yeah, graduate.
Speaker 2: Mikey was the last one to get home and he had surgery last week.
Speaker 5: So how many divers are you going through per day?
Speaker 4: At least I'm trying to think.
Speaker 5: I'm trying. I can give you like an exact seventeen eighteen.
Speaker 2: So they get fed every three hours, so that's eight feedings per kid. And they get changed usually once or twice per feeding, so that's eight times three, so twenty four.
Speaker 4: So probably thirty to forty at least. Yeah, almostaid a bad word. Go fund me for decades, Yeah exactly.
Speaker 5: But when you an.
Speaker 4: Officials diaper sponsor for Talking Cowboys, for sure, I just.
Speaker 2: Want to come say that's amazing, man doing all right, Yeah, you're doing good.
Speaker 4: I'm good overall.
Speaker 2: Got four hours last night, so I got a little extra energy, little pep in my stereogo all.
Speaker 4: Right, y'all. Well, mission bro goo to see a buddy. You guys will see you, thanks man, Massie Smith. Wait right, yeah, so.
Speaker 5: I mean yeah, so I mean hearing that last sentence, we anticipate that he's going gonna be a good player like he was in college. What do you think about that?
Speaker 4: I honestly cannot speak to his uh, his play in college. It's not necessarily my abou im talking about Zimmer's statement. Oh, I think it it's probably best that he goes back to the sort of frame that he had when he entered uh the NFL draft, and not necessarily what he was doing last year. Just whatever he was doing last year, just maybe don't do that. And for Mike Zimmer's defense, I think it makes sense to keep him at a at A three.
Speaker 7: I'll say this coming out of coming out of freakishly athletic for his size still is the case. I mean, we're only a year removed from that. Let's not get too far ahead from you know, what he was whenever he arrived in the building. I if if the coaching staff was the one that wanted to experiment with losing weight with him and potentially moving him over to three tech. If that is the actual case, I see where they're coming from. Okay, Hey, this guy is freakishly athletic. We have a guy Jonathan Hankins that canmand down the one tech. Let's try to maximize this athleticism potentially at three tech. So we have two guys in the defensive interior that have this size, they had this build, and one of them is freakishly athletic. The other one just knows how to fill up running lanes. And I understand where they're coming from in that sense. Granted, you still have Osa, who I think is a freakitionly athletic guy in his own right, but maybe Mazi you see a little bit more size there and a little bit more ability to plug running lanes and maybe an ability to rush the passer as well. Dan Quinn always talked about it too. I don't love it, though, I'm not saying I'm just seeing where we were coming from. Yeah, but I could see dan Quinn having that mind mindset, yeah, because he goes after athletic guys. He wants to maximize athleticism over anything else. That's why you looked up last year and you only had one linebacker left on the rosters, because they were trying to prioritize athletic guys under the Quinn defense.
Speaker 5: Our very o JM asked him a little bit more detailed questions and Zimmer came back and said, he is going to be an attacking three technique to get up the field. But the plan for this season is to probably play blocks a little more.
Speaker 4: So they're going to play him at three tech. Who do you play?
Speaker 7: Who's who's gonna be the one tech? Who is going to be the one tech on this roster?
Speaker 4: Isaiah's looking for him?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 4: It not mine post June one. I feel like you you find out a little more. Yeah, probably so, probably so.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's that's that's that's a fascinating.
Speaker 4: It remains to be seen, I think on that end, and it just they'll figure something out. It's just like it's not gonna be. It's not gonna be what That's not what the people want to hear?
Speaker 5: Josh right?
Speaker 4: I mean is that what they want to hear?
Speaker 5: Bro?
Speaker 4: There will be play, is there?
Speaker 5: It's it's players outside of free agency and outside of the draft.
Speaker 7: Is the front Maybe the front's just gonna look different. Oh yeah, maybe the front's just gonna look a lot.
Speaker 5: I can go with that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Hey man, Mike's Parsons still plays on this team. Do you have the Marcus Lawrence?
Speaker 7: Yeah, Carl Davis.
Speaker 4: Anyway, Yeah, I got it.
Speaker 7: What do you have more concern over defensive tackle running back the tackle, Yes, same defense. A lot of people are putting so much emphasis and focus on this running back.
Speaker 5: Why.
Speaker 7: I get why because it's it's a it's a big position, and I don't think because the Cowboys.
Speaker 4: You need to have a you have.
Speaker 5: If your offensive line is moving mountains off the ball, it doesn't matter who's toting the rock. Cavante Turpin will have success as a running back. If the offensive line is moving guys off the line of scrimmage, that is where your focus has to be. That's where you need to invest your money. At no disrespect to the crew eats out there who play the running back position, but there's just very few of them left and which is why their value has gotten down. That doesn't mean that guys can't contribute, doesn't mean that guys can't catch, can't pass ball, can't run the ball for like, But what are you doing to separate yourself from the other thousand running backs around the league. There's probably small margins that are going to separate those guys. So with that being the case, that's not where my focus is. I want my old line to move anybody who steps in the line of scrimmage. These defensive fronts that we just talked about Cleveland, Baltimore, Detroit, San France. If you can't move those guys off the ball, it doesn't matter. They don't care. If you had King Henry in the back, he's not running over three hundred and thirty pounds except for maybe get two yards. It's gonna be, you know, whatever a cloud of does. The running back position is gonna be perfectly fined by committee. You have to address the old line. And if you address the old line, trust me, you're gonna be gucci. But if you don't address the D line, yeah, you're gonna be getting moved off the ball. The same when we're talking about our office line, hoping that they move guys off this, it's.
Speaker 4: Gonna be that Green Bay game kind of over.
Speaker 7: It's gonna be worse because there's no Jonathan Hankins. Yeah, granted you have you have stability in the second level, now, which I'll give the I'll give the front office credit for that. I think they did a good job in addressing the second level this year to the best of their ability. Were their better names out there, absolutely, but based on what they wanted to spend at the position. I think they got the best guys that they could possibly get with the money they had available to them. But the defensive tackle position got to be addressed.
Speaker 5: It's got to be Cleveland's gonna run, Baltimore's gonna run, Pittsburg's gonna run, Detroit's gonna run. San Francis is gonna run, Philly's gonna.
Speaker 4: Run, Yo, Mama's gonna run, Ye, Daddy's.
Speaker 5: You know what I'm saying. These teams, these are teams that are going to run the ball.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, for sure. And we'll have to supplement that somehow. With that positive note, boys, we'll be back next Tuesday week. Enjoy your Memorial Day weekend.
Speaker 3: UH.
Speaker 4: Cowboy storyline will be up later today at one pm Central Time for Nick Harris on scratch your name, Isaiah stand back, Christopher Beemer in the back, Kyle Yemens who is here today. Josh Rodriguez will be back next week. Thank you.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.