Speaker 1: Hi, Get Everybody. I Dan Hord and thanks for downloading The Bengals Booth Podcast. The Keep Roll and Roll and Roll and Rolling addition, as the Bengals look to extend their winning streak to five straight as they host the four and four Houston Texans. Coming up, I'll talk to Cam Taylor Britt about facing rookie quarterback c J. Stroud and we'll find out what teammate he avoids when he cruises around the locker room with a camera after wins. After a big night for the tight Ends last week, I'll discuss it with the best tight End in franchise history. And this week's no the Faux segment, we'll get the lowdown on the Texans from the radio voice Mark Vandermere. The Bengals Booth Podcast is brought to you by pay Corps, Proud to be the Bengals official HR software provider, by All to Fiber future proof Fiber Internet design to elevate your home, business and community to a new level, and by Kettering Health the best care for the best fans. Kettering Health is the official healthcare provider of the Bengals. Now here's a quick reminder that you can have the latest edition of this podcast delivered write to your phone, tablet, or computer by subscribing wherever you get your podcasts. It's the greatest thing since Striping the Jungle. I've got to hand it to everybody in attendance last Sunday night at pay Course Stadium, Striping the Jungle in alternating sections of orange and black looked absolutely incredible in person and on national TV. In fact, they're already selling panoramic photos of the tiger striped stadium at the Bengals Pro shop. I've also seen an amusing meme for what the Bengals should try next. Somebody made an image for the upcoming home game against Pittsburgh that shows most of the fans wearing black except for the ones that spell out Steeler suck in Org. Well done, sir. This week's opponent is Houston, a team that only won three games last year and already has four wins this year, thanks in large part to rookie quarterbacks.
Speaker 2: C J.
Speaker 1: Stroud, the second pick in the draft out of Ohio State, is fourth in the league in passer rating, has the best ratio of touchdown passes to interceptions in the NFL at fourteen to one, and through for a rookie record four hundred and seventy yards last week in a last second win over Tampa Bay. It's a major challenge for Cam, Taylor Britt and the Bengals secondary and I caught up with Cam this week.
Speaker 2: Cam.
Speaker 1: One of the things that many of us now look forward to after Bengals wins is the Cam Taylor Britt. Dubcam typically shows you walking around the locker room dancing with teammates who walk in and out of the frame. How did the dubcam get started?
Speaker 3: Honestly, I think you started. I don't know what win did we get, but it was last year when I, uh think I went on live on my Instagram and they kind of just blew up and everybody was like, oh, we need to see this every time. And I think after that game, uh, you know, that's when we you know, it was just started streaking and every game, you know, it was cams cam, the dub cam, you know, and I take it on. You know, sometimes I forget, you know, he's even coming, and then they hit me with it, so you know.
Speaker 4: I just do my thing.
Speaker 1: I should clarify when you say streaking, you mean winning streak, not people streaking in the background running around naked. So in last week's dub cam, Brian Callahan made a cameo appearance. I always get a kick out of bj Hill. He seems to be a regular. Are there certain guys that amuse you? And is there anybody that give you the look that says, I don't really want to be on uh?
Speaker 3: I think most of my teamers are, you know, kind of accepting of the the cams cam dub cam thing. Uh. It said proud to Trey Hendry say, you know he still you know, turned turned up, you know, fired up from the game, so you know he's just ready to get.
Speaker 4: Up by cam.
Speaker 1: When I asked coaches about you, one of the first things that they always mention is your confidence. Of all of the good traits that a cornerback has to have, speed, agility, whatever, how important is confidence.
Speaker 3: I feel like you that should be a number one thing. You know, you're out there on the island, you know, and your your team trusty. You know, I feel like I put myself in these situations all the time throughout my life. You know, four seconds left in the fourth quarter, you know, just imagine myself, you know, out there on the island. You know, getting the ball throw and making a huge play. And I've dreamed that, you know, and and had the opportunity for you know, it to happen. You know, I think that's the biggest thing, you know, just not shining away from anything, you know, just going there, you know, putting my bits for forward, you know, just doing it, you know, no hesitation.
Speaker 1: You've been making a lot of big plays lately. You've had three interceptions in the last four games. You never had more than two in a season at Nebraska. Is that because at the college level teams were reluctant to throw your way or have you become better at ball skills, accepting passes, whatever.
Speaker 3: So we played a lot of zone in Nebraska, but also when we did playing man, I didn't get a lot of targets. It started to get like that after my sophomore year to where I had to just you know, try to try to just make those plays, you know, whenever they did come to me. But other than that, you know, I really didn't, you know, get too much action.
Speaker 1: What's your biggest area of improvement from rookie year to second year.
Speaker 3: My preparation, you know, just preparing for the next team, you know, just my whole routine. It is different, you know. I feel like, you know, I've axed out some things and you know, just also added some things. You know, the the you know better myself and that you know, different aspects in life. You know.
Speaker 1: Did you learn that from Vets or was that a matter of I realized this is what I have to do to be successful in this league.
Speaker 3: So most definitely. I did talk to events last year, but I think just coming into the season, I had to, you know, just go on my own and you know, take my experiences and kind of just put it into play and you know, just map that out for you know, how I work for myself.
Speaker 1: I think you've played in twenty one games, including the playoff games last year. Do you feel like a VET at this point?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Just tab it, you know, most definitely. And I can see, you know, some of my teammate see me as that as well. So you know, I just take it on, you know, because it is what it is.
Speaker 1: For chatting Cam Taylor Bread. I look at the secondary room. You're in your second year, Dax Hills in his second year. DJ Turner is a rookie. Jordan Battles a rookie do you look around the room and think, man, we could be good for a long time with this group.
Speaker 3: Most definitely, I think a lot of people says that you know, and yeah, well when you look at it, most definitely are that we are young on the back end, but you know we're damn good and you know, just use working together for multiple years to come. Yeah, I think the Skuys are living for this group.
Speaker 1: Every cornerback is going to get beaten from time to time. It happens. When it happens to you, what goes to your mind and how do you bounce back on the next snap.
Speaker 3: It's like I replayed quickly, you know, back through my head. No what I did wrong for them to catch that ball. It wasn't anything spectacular that they did. You know, I just need to make sure my technique is better on the next rip. But you know it, last year, I think I was a more of a guy, you know, the kind of beat myself up and my teammates on me. You know, like you know it's gonna be all right, Da da dah. But you know now that I, you know, had the opportunity to play in games, had my own experiences, and you know, the welcome to the NFL moments and everything. You know, it's just you know, I kind of know just how to deal with things now, you know, just you know, let it roll off my shoulder on to the next player.
Speaker 1: Was the relmost significant welcome to the NFL moment for you?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I think I said it last year, the Terrence Marshall one. I believe I still should have made a play on the ball. I think about it now if it would have happened. I promised that what happened is just crazy because yeah, you know, and me and him McCool. So for that to happen, you know, it just stuck with me.
Speaker 1: So you faced the Texans this week and a rookie quarterback who's playing well and c J. Stroud you faced them a couple of years ago when you were at Nebraska and he was at Ohio State. Nebraska had a couple of interceptions in that game. What do you think think of c J. Stroud and the way that he's performing is a rookie.
Speaker 3: I believe you know, he's performing, you know, past everybody's expectations. You know, I I don't think a lot of people, you know, knew what he was gonna do, and got to the league. But you know, as I seen in college, he was always a sound quarterback, you know, very like a system guy, knows where to put the ball. You know, doesn't want to, you know, throw turnovers, you know, just throw the game away. But you know, once he trust his guys, he trust him and he's gonna put him in that position every time. I know, they love the deep balls. And if he, like I said, he trust his guys, he's gonna get him opportunity. So you know, that's that's the guy he's turned into right now that you know I've seen, you know through a film, you know, through just watching games. You know, he's getting comfortable out there. You know, we gotta be ready to stop him.
Speaker 1: He's one rookie that's doing well, and wide receiver Tank Dell is another. He's averaging more than sixteen yards to catch. He's got four touchdowns. He's a little guy, he's five ten, like one hundred and sixty five pounds, but super fast, super quick. Are those guys hard to cover?
Speaker 3: We got something for everybody, and on the back end, you know, we'll switch it up on the most definite I want to say, it's hard to cover, you know, just put hands on all right.
Speaker 1: Final topic for Cam Taylor Brett. I was checking out Camtaylor brit dot com looking at the merchandise. Got some good gear on that website. Your nickname is Juice or Cam Juice or some Juice shirts and hoodies and stuff like that. But I want to ask you about the logo because the logo is great. It's a juice box with the letter C in it. Obviously Cam Juice who came up.
Speaker 4: With the logo.
Speaker 3: Shout out to my dog Aura Gharsht. He Me and him, you know, kind of went back and forth with ideas, just trying to figure out what my logo would be. Back in college. We were kind of the first one to try to you know, start the nil with Smecia Rattler, So you know, we just put our ideas together and he sent.
Speaker 4: Me the logo.
Speaker 3: I was like, bro, like this perfect, you know this, you know basically you know what his stance for Camjuice, and you know, I just kind of took it on and we started, you know, trade marketing to make sure everything was official. It started the brand and it's kind of just taking off. People doing their own thing with it. With the Juice game Jerseys and you know, just you know, I'm glad to see you know something that I started, you know, take off.
Speaker 1: I'll throw in another plug for Camtaylor Brick dot Com. Some good gear there, Yes, there you go.
Speaker 2: Get that.
Speaker 1: Best of luck this week. Appreciate you, Thomas always, Thank you. Cam is one of three players from last year's draft class who is currently starting. Dax Hill and Cordel Vohlsen are the others. Additionally, Zach Carter is a regular in the defensive line rotation, and Tyson Anderson was leading the team in special teams tackles before tearing his ACL in the San Francisco game. Remarkably, Tyson actually suffered the injury early in that game and kept playing. One of the keys to last week's went over Buffalo was the production of the tight end group. Tanner Hudson, Drew Sample and earth Smith Junior combined for ten catches for one hundred and one yards and two touchdowns. Together, they were Travis kelce Esqus the biggest pop star in the world. Girlfriend. It seemed like a good time to catch up with the greatest tight end in Bengals history, four time Pro bowler Bob Trumpy, who will be the ruler of the jungle this Sunday at pay Course Stadium. With the trio of wide receivers that they have, how important is the tight end position in this offense?
Speaker 4: Key, If he's willing to do it, he's going to be open a lot. You see the guy in Kansas City, he just goes down, turns around and waits for the quarterback in Kansas City to find him, throws him in the ball six eight yards. You take it. Tight Ends can't be particular. If we get it for four or five six yards, that's good. Shut up, go back to the huddle. You're the outlet again. And with the three wide receivers that they have and the attention that they get from defenses, yeah, the tight end could be very, very productive and workers way up in the confidence level of the quarterback. But you've got a six foot five inch quarterback looking over the defensive line that tight ends easy to find. I'm all for it.
Speaker 1: I'm sure that you are. What do you admire and respect about Joe Burrow?
Speaker 4: I hear everybody say he's so cool. I've never met Joe Burrow. But there are some people that are born to the position. They have a mindset. They're just born to the position. Joe seems to have the mindset to be to be born to the position, which is leadership. On the sideline, leaving him around alone. He sits there and looks at his his surface, and you know, everybody leaves him alone. I don't see him running up and down and do this, do this. I need more from you. That's the thing I think I like the most about him. That I don't like the way he dresses.
Speaker 1: The game. But you're not his audience.
Speaker 4: But he handled this this whole thing so beautifully. Uh what he says afterwards smoking a cigar. You know at LSU there's a lot to like about him. And when he's healthy, which we've witnessed the last two weeks. You and I had a conversation about a month ago about is he healthy enough to such and such. When healthy, he's going to be hard to beat for a lot of years.
Speaker 1: They've won four straight, they've won five out of six last two weeks. They've beaten two of the best teams in the league, Episco in Buffalo. At this point, can we confidently say they are back and among the best teams in the NFL?
Speaker 4: Uh Finn at run running back. That's my concern. Joe Mixon establishing establishing some control of the line of scrimmage by the offensive line. His thret is key. That makes I think everything else work back. I don't know. There's a lot of teams that have improved dramatically. Baltimore's defense is better, Cleveland's defense is better. So you got to win the division and we're zer and two against those guys. So are they back? I don't know. You see them up close and personal. They look pretty good. But there's about a half a dozen teams in the AFC that everybody's chasing. Bigels are certainly one of them.
Speaker 1: I think they're back, but there's obviously a long way to go. Seven teams in the AFC make the playoffs, four division winners, three wild cards. Right now, all four teams from the AFC North are in Baltimore leads the division, the other three are the three wild cards. Is the AFC North clearly the best division in football in Europe?
Speaker 4: It appears to me, yes, no hesitation whatsoever. Absolutely. Philadelphia on the other side is certainly appearing to be very strong. But in the AFC, yeah, you've got to go through the AFC North and it's not easy. And you certainly include the Bengals. Yeah, they're up there. What do you think of lou Anarumo, He's a magician. In my retired life, I try to pay attention very close to the defense. I don't know what's coming next. They give you one look, they show one defense, play another, they show blitz drop the blitzer out. He's a magician. And look, the defense has great speed at a key position. Linebackers, they're good tacklers, and the most important thing is when they make all these changes from the time they line up until the ball is snapped. I don't see anybody at a position so deep deep. It's a playbook and it appears complicated, and everybody handles it beautifully, and it's really flomoxed a lot of opponents. What's he doing? Are you seeing other teams trying to do the same thing? I have? Yeah, not as well, not as well. You're absolutely right, not as well. But to lose baits and put almost a rookie kid back there at safety and he catches on that says an awful lot for lou He's an absolute magician. Don't scream that too loud. Because I have a feeling he might be a candidate as a head coach for somebody else, and we don't want that.
Speaker 1: He doesn't need me to sing his praises. I think the word is definitely out, but we'll keep him as long as we possibly can. The atmosphere on Sunday night last week was awesome. Night games at pay Course Stadium becomes such an event. And this city is obviously really rallied around the Bengals in the last few years. You've been here in Super Bowl runs previous to this. What do you think of Cincinnati When the Bengals run a roll?
Speaker 4: They're the topic of conversation. I don't know who I was talking to. Going back to nineteen sixty eight, somebody brought in a sheet of tickets for the Bengals in nineteen sixty eight that were unused, seven dollars and twenty five cents each, and the guy said, can you imagine that? I said, you know the thing I remember about nineteen sixty eight, sixty nine, and even seventy when we went into Riverfront Stadium, the people going to the game, they were very reserved whether we won or loss, and they were wearing a button down collar, white shirt, tie, sport code or suit. And look at them now. The conversation about the Bengals happens every day, all day long. That's great that I have a feeling. Certainly they were popular before, but with Joe Burrow the promise, you know, the future going to be an awful lot of fans for an awful long time. They might want to figure out a way to put more seats in the stadium.
Speaker 1: Are you excited to be the ruler of the jungle?
Speaker 4: Sure? Absolutely. I barely rule my house, so being the ruler of anything is important to me at my age.
Speaker 1: I'm sure you will rule it well. They play Houston this week. I think most football fans expected the Texans to stink this year. They've got a rookie quarterback out of Ohio State, CJ. Stroud. He's been spectacular. Any thoughts on Sunday's game.
Speaker 4: I love seeing these rookie quarterbacks have great starts. I'm all for that. And the Bengals they're difficult to deal with. I don't care who comes in here offensively and defensively. Houstin's going to have problems dealing with this, and I hope the best for the young kid, but next week, not this week.
Speaker 1: I agree with you one hundred percent. We look forward to you ruling the Jungles.
Speaker 4: Thank you Sunday. I appreciate your time, my pleasure.
Speaker 1: The Bengals Booth podcast is brought to you by pay Corps, proud to be the Bengals official HR software provider, by Alta Fiber future Proof Fiber Internet designed to elevate your home, business and community to a new level, and by Kettering Health the best Care for the best fans. Kettering Health is the official healthcare provider of the Bengals. We're paying close attention this week to the status of wide receivers Jamar Chase and t Higgins. Jamar didn't practice on Wednesday after falling down hard on his back in the Buffalo game, and t was limited practice due to a hamstring injury. If either, or God forbid both can't play on Sunday, Tyler Boyd, Trenton Irwin, andre Yosi Vosh and maybe Charlie Jones or Kwame Lassiter will have to fill the void. Boyd had back to back one thousand yard seasons before Chase and Higgins joined the team, and says he'll be ready to do whatever is needed.
Speaker 5: You know, I might have to step up a lot more. I might get a lot more opportunities when a guy like him is down, you know, But I'll brace them rules because I've been there before, you know, and I don't shy away for no moments.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 5: I always be there on my numbers call, you know, like I know, I got to do it more. Got a guys. He chased down any of those guys, and that's how they'll probably feel if I go down as well. But again, like I said, we got the our back ups man playing so well. I mean, I feel comfortable if even if I might not get the extra lot, and maybe they might feel comfortable. I mean, I feel comfortable with bit. You just put any of those guys in chase this position and to just continue to do what we do. Just give him the balls, you know, either way, I feel comfortable.
Speaker 1: Charlie Jones, the fourth round draft pick out of Purdue this year, was cleared to practice on Wednesday after missing the last five games with a broken right thumb. He's eligible to be activated anytime in the next three weeks. With that injury, you can still stay in shape. Do you feel like you could play if needed.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I feel like I'm ready to go. The trainers did a good job with me on the other field, just keeping me, you know, in shape, running, running routs, catching punts. So you know, today I felt good being out there. Obviously practice is a little bit different than being off to the side, but I think, you know, a couple of days of it and you know, I'm ready to go.
Speaker 1: While you were hurt, Joe got healthy. Are you eager to be one of his targets now that he's able to move around?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 6: Yeah, you know watching him has been awesome seeing him, you know, first and foremost is feeling healthy, being healthy out there, and then playing the way that we all know he could play. So I'm definitely looking forward to to getting my chance to show him that I'm someone he could rely on.
Speaker 1: While Charlie was out of action, he practiced catching punts with his left hand only since he couldn't use his right. Now time for this week know the Faux Segment. Mark Vandermere is the radio voice of the Texans, and he joined Lapping Me this week on the Bengals Game Plan show. I asked him if he's surprised by the teams four and four start well.
Speaker 2: Dan, you know, I'm a little surprised, I guess about the proficiency of the passing game with CJ. Stroud being this good this quickly, I'm not surprised they're winning some games here. But we'll see where it all ends up, right, because we all know in this league sometimes the team will have a good first half not a good second half, vice versa. We'll see where it all goes. And I'm hoping the Texans get stronger, obviously, And I think the big surprise here is Stroud and the passing game, because I thought he'd be okay, and he's a rookie quarterback. I didn't think they had the weaponry that is being displayed, at least statistically right now. I thought they had some assets. Dalton Schultz looks good, Damian Pierce, Devin Singletary. I knew the receivers were okay at the very least, but man, they're putting on a show right now. And I credit the whole organization here, the mcnares for reaching out and hiring Demico Ryans, Nick Catherio, the GM. They've put together a nice group here and they've got four wins, so that's a pretty good start through eight games.
Speaker 7: Man the game that he had last week against Tampa Bay, completing seventy one point four percent of his passes, four hundred and seventy yards, five touchdowns, quarterback rating one four to seven point eight, no interceptions. I mean, rookie record for yards and for touchdowns, youngest to throw for four hundred and fifty yards more six quarterback in NFL history. I mean, that's just crazy watching him. He is so on time with his intermediate throws, and boy does he have an extremely accurate deep ball. He drops dimes on those deep balls.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that is really impressive. We all know how hard it is for quarterbacks to come into the league and throw to a window and there's nobody there yet. Right, even the touchdown pass that won the game last week, you know when he releases the ball, tank Dell is not in the area yet, but he knows he's going to be there. At least he hopes he's going to be there, and he's right. And Dell had that one where he caught it at the fifteen yard line to set up the winning play. That's a beautiful throw and catch as well. Stroud has the timing accuracy. It's funny because when he began training camp, you know, OTAs, let's go back there. He progressed really nicely because from where he started to where he finished, he improved a lot when camp began. If you told me day one, day two that he would do this in week nine, I'd say really. But and again it wasn't I doubt that he could be good. But he got off to a little bit of a slow start. And he's a rookie. You got to expect those things. And we always say this, right, everybody has to improve, everybody's got to get better. The rookies come into this league. I don't care where you played, if it's Alabama or wherever. You got to get better from where you started. And that's what he's doing. He's dedicated to it. He wants to be great. He's putting in the time and you're seeing the results.
Speaker 1: We began our show tonight, Mark by talking about the Bengals potential injury situation. Jamar Chase didn't practice today, Sam Hubbard was out, t Higgins was limited. Then we received the Texans injury report. I've never seen one this long in my life. Eleven guys didn't practice, nine guys were listed as limited. I imagine most of these guys are going to be able to play. But of the key players on the roster, which guys do you have your eye on his possible concerns for Sunday?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm looking at that injury report. It's easier to just read the Houston phone book. You know, there's so many names on it that you start to wonder, Wait a minute, because when you have a Wednesday did not practice, sometimes that's all right, You've got something right. There's an injury listed, But is it a day of rest for that injury or rehab for that injury? I think the key day turns out to be Thursday. You know, it's PGA equivalent of moving day on a Saturday. Thursday is when you got to make that move. Are you limited on Thursday or are you still at DNP Because you know, I watched Will Anderson limp a bit at the end of that game, and I thought, uh oh, and we saw a number of guys we thought uh oh. But John nettually had a practice today and he had a rib injury, so he hasn't really done everything yet that you hoped he would do when you drafted him. But he's on the rise. I think the key ones though. You know, obviously you look at Steven Nelson, you hope that he can play at corner. They had Derek Stingley Junior out of practice today, which was good. He was limited. He's coming back from a hamstring that put him on IR So we got a lot of guys that we had to wait and see, and this is a tough week to wait and see. But hey, this team has had so much injury adversity already, particularly on the O line, and at times when you think it's gonna be at its hardest, they come up with a great performance. They had Michael Dieter in there at center on Sunday. This is their fourth center since the start of training camp, and he has center starting experience with the Miami Dolphins. But still, you know, they're playing together as a group for the first time, and somehow they put together enough pass protection to throw for four to seventy So you never know how injuries are going to play into it. I just hope everybody can go.
Speaker 7: When I watched a little bit of tape that I've seen, I see a heavy forty nine er influence. I mean, it looks like San Francisco, Part two to me when I'm watching the offense and defensive schematic and makes sense. I mean, Demiko was obviously heavily influenced forty nine Ers. Bobby Slowick is a disciple of Shanahan as well. You have a defensive coordinator that's been around, but it's his first year. You know, with this organization, it seems like it's very forty nine or ish am I seeing things? Or am I correct in that assessment?
Speaker 2: No? I think you see a lot of that because Demiico Ryans obviously, like you pointed out, with that organization, and last year the forty nine Ers were number one of the in defense in yards and points for the first time in the history of that franchise, which started in what nineteen forty six, So that said something about not just the players, but his ability to coach them. And now he's here, He's got Jimmy Ward and you know, they bring in Ridgeway, they're bringing in some people from there, some of the other coaches. But he also reached out from across the board, you know, not just forty nine Er guys. Now Slowick was there and he is a disciple of that system. Slowik is interesting to me because Dimiko takes a chance on a new offensive coordinator. But he's got a lot of brains. He was with Pro Football Focus for a number of years, which I don't think necessarily makes you a better coach, but it's interesting how that affects things and his evaluation of players and how to use them. And what I see from him is the ability to adjust, because they definitely want to run the football, but they have not been able to run the football at all the way you want to as a forty nine er type offense. So look what happened on Sunday. Look, let's just go throw it. We got to go throw it. We got a great quarterback here, a great young quarterback. Let's see what he can do. And they're making the most of it. So the ability to adjust, and Dimko has got to do it too with the injuries they've had on defense. The positive effect of Demico, the vibe in the building is so strong, so good, so uplifting. He wants everybody to be energetic, have fun, work hard. You just feel it. Even if you're not involved with the team, you feel it. And it's such a breath of fresh air at NRG Stadium. It's so good to have him as the head coach.
Speaker 1: I mentioned the Houston is four and four. Those wins include a twenty point win over Jacksonville. I don't think the Jaguars have lost since that game. And how about a thirty to six win over the Pittsburgh Steelers. We love that as Bengals fans. Did those wins show you just how legitimate the Texans are at this early stage of the season.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think one thing to point out about those wins defense relatively healthy. They had some guys out, but relatively healthy, and they were on fire at Jacksonville. That was Week three. They were coming off the loss and they really torched them. I mean, they really took it to them. I don't know if the Jags were overlooking or whatever, but it was wonderful to see the kind of performance they put together. They picked off Trevor Lawrence, CJ looked really good, big third down play at the end for a dagger touchdown pass. And against the Steelers that was the day they retired JJ Watt. Well, they didn't retire as Jersey, but they put them in the Ring of Honor and it was a great ceremony and everything. I think everybody was pumped up. There were a lot of Steeler fans in the building. You all know how they travel, and I think it pumped up the Texans to see the terrible towels in the building. But they performed well. I think what happened is coming on. They lost to Atlanta, then they come back to beat the Saints, then they lose to Carolina after the buy their kids, and they don't know how to win yet consistently. And it's tough of this league to win consistently no matter who you are. So they've got to learn these lessons. But I can tell you this, the Bengals will have their undivided attention. I mean, if they were playing Carolina this week for instance, who knows what happens, but the fact that you're playing the Bengals, which yeah, this is a team as good as any team in the league, they'll be certainly ready for this one.
Speaker 7: I look at this defensive football team as a former old lineman, though, and Will Anderson man, this kid for a rookie is fundamentally sound. His use of his hands is like very very exceptional. I mean he's extraordinary that way. Malik Collins the three technique. This dude is disruptive. I mean, he really causes issues up there. This is good football team up front. Cashman you know, makes plays at linebacker. I mean, it's a it's a good front seven. It's it's nothing, nothing to sneeze at. But you don't feel like they're playing at the level they were playing at earlier in the season when they knocked off the division leader Jacksonville and Pittsburgh back to back weeks.
Speaker 2: Well, I think in some ways they have this pass game not as much because obviously you look at thirty seven points on the board, you're thinking, Okay, they gave up some points to Baker Mayfield and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Carolina, they held them to a low point total, but they gave up the game winning field goal drive when they had them pinned at the nine yard line Atlanta. They had a chance to close them out, but Atlanta drove for a game winning field goal. So they lost those two games, Carolina and Atlanta at the Buzzer. But the defense, they've been holding teams to relatively low point totals other than this past week. They came into the game tied for six in the NFL and points per game allowed. So I do like that there's some bend but not break. And they are good against the run, and you pointed out Will Anderson fundamentally Sam the leak, You've got Jonathan Grenard, and you've got good players up front. Demico cites them setting the edge as a key reason or one of the reasons why they're good against the run. They don't let you get to the outside. They stuffed the middle. They've been playing to run relatively well, but in the passing game they've given up some things from time to time, and they got to shore that up. Well. Look, it's like I said, it's a young team. They're learning. And you know, I don't know how you guys feel, but I always look around the league and I say, man, it's all about are you ready to go at noon on Sunday noon Central one Eastern and whatever the case may be. Are you at your best at that point? And what are the coaches and players need to do to make sure that happens? Because too many good teams go win one lose one, right, and too many bad teams win games. Maybe they're quote not supposed to. Why It just feels like some teams maybe aren't ready or maybe everybody's that even that good. The differences are so minute, no.
Speaker 7: Doubt in the real quick the run, like you pointed out, only allowing ninety seven yards a game on the ground, that's top ten in the NFL. Three point five yards per rush, third best in the NFL. Last year they gave up for franchise record one hundred and seventy point two yards a game. I mean, was worse than the league, our franchise worst. Tamika Ryan said, no more of that. We're handling the running game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because there's nothing more demoralizing, right when you're giving up gashes on the ground. Last year that was really tough to take. And last year, look, they were in a lot of games. They had the Chiefs deep in overtime and actually stopped Mahomes and overtime. I felt like putting up a banner in the stadium. We stopped Mahomes and overtime. They were right there with the Cowboys first and goal late with a chance to put the game away, couldn't score. They had games like that last year and we all know they won the last one against the Colts, which turned out to be the biggest blessing ever because they got CJ. Stroud with the number two pick in the draft, and you guys know, when you have the quarterback, food tastes better, the air smells cleaner, life is better, and we'll see where it takes them.
Speaker 1: Bengals are favored this week by six and a hal half points. Here's an invitation to join Lapp and Wayne box Miller for the Bengals pep Rally Show on Friday from two thirty to five thirty at the Wings and Rings Beachmont location. Their special guest in the final hour will be defensive tackle Zach Carter. That's going to do it for this episode of the Bengals Booth podcast, brought to you by pay Core, Proud to be the Bengals official hr software provider, by Alta Fiber, future proof Fiber Internet designed to elevate your home, business and community to a new level, and by Kettering Health the best care for the best fans. Kettering Health is the official healthcare provider of the Bengals. If you haven't done so already, please subscribe to this podcast and if you have a minute, give it a rating or share a comment that helps more Bengals fans find us. I'm Dan Hord and thanks for listening to the Bengals Booth podcast