Speaker 1: Google releases a new pixel, but it's not the one. How to store a digital vaccine card on your smartphone, Say goodbye to the magnetic strip on your credit or debit card. Plus your tech questions answered? What's going on? I'm Rich Demiro and this is Rich on Tech, the podcast where I talk about the tech stuff I think you should know about. It is also the place where I answer the questions you send me. I'm the tech reporter at KTLA Channel five in Los Angeles. Thanks so much for tuning me in. Welcome to the folks listening on Facebook Live with their rooms feature, which I love.
Speaker 2: It's weird.
Speaker 1: It doesn't always show up in my app. Sometimes when I open the app, it's there, other times it's not there. But it's a fun way to reach a lot of people that may not listen to the podcast per se, but then they get to see it on my Facebook page and they say, hey, what's that? Let me let me tune in and let me listen, and sure enough they stick around sometimes.
Speaker 2: So let's see what's been going on this week? Hm?
Speaker 1: Well, my mom was in town for so long that I felt like I was on vacation in my own city.
Speaker 2: We were you know, going out to eat.
Speaker 1: We were staying out late, we were looking at sites, we were going places. I'm sure you do this when people come to visit you, but it's really interesting how much there is to do that you just don't do or you take for granted. Like we went to the beach, we went to Malibu, we went to different restaurants. I got to shout out my friend Brian Tong for okay, so I'm not a lobster person.
Speaker 2: I've only had it like once in my.
Speaker 1: Life, and I thought it was okay, but I wouldn't consider myself like I don't really seek it out ever.
Speaker 2: I know people go wild over lobster.
Speaker 1: So my mom, which came out here, said the only two things I want are fish tacos and a lobster role. And I said, all right, well, we're in California. I'm pretty sure we can find those things.
Speaker 2: So fish tacos.
Speaker 1: We found this little place that was a little hole in the wall. Oh gosh, I can't remember the name, but it was really it was really good and it was just a little tiny hole in the wall. We went there off a yelp and it turned out to be fantastic. Giant portions.
Speaker 2: So that was cool.
Speaker 1: Then I'm browsing Instagram and I see my friend Brian Tong, you know who covers technology.
Speaker 2: He posted about this place.
Speaker 1: He went to in Malibu that was I think it was called.
Speaker 2: Broad Street Seafood.
Speaker 1: Or something like that, and it was a lobster roll and I'm like, oh, lobster roll in California, in Los Angeles, okay, So.
Speaker 2: I texted him. I said, Brian, is this place legit or what?
Speaker 1: He's like, absolutely, So my mom and I go and she gets the lobster roll. I get some fish tacos, and I will tell you I had one little bite of the lobster from her role, and oh my gosh, I am a convert. Oh wow, it was so good. It was basically just like something anything doused in butter is really really good and that's it just tasted like a butter soaked piece of fish, not even I mean, it wasn't really a fishy, but anyway, it was so good.
Speaker 2: Now I feel like I have to go back for a lobsterole. So it was great. We had a lot of fun.
Speaker 1: I've also been testing out the Galaxy foldable phones all this week. Don't quite have my review just yet. But you know, it's one of these things where I love the fact that Samsung is trying new things and I want to love one of these phones and I want to use one of them like forever, but I just can't. There's there's too many downsides for me. Like with the bigger one, I just love that giant screen in the fold. When you open it up, it's like having a tablet. You can use it as a kindle, you can read books. And I just have this like this romanticized version of myself, like just pulling this phone out and like using it for all kinds of cool things. But the reality is it's big and it's bulky, and it's just it's cool. But I don't think it's ready for primetime just yet. And the little flip phone is really cool, but the cameras just aren't there and so and also you got to flip it open every time, which back in the day was really easy because you could do it with one hand and it was a motorol eraser and it was simple and it was lightweight. This is way more complicated to open, to flip open every time you need to use it. And yeah, they made the outer screen bigger, but it's still not where it needs to be to actually accomplish anything. So to do anything on this phone, you still want to open the phone. So it's just it's one of these things where I think, you know, my reviews will be good of these devices, I just can't really recommend the average person to get them just yet. Now, if you just want a cool flip phone and you're not like a power user, the Flip is kind of cool, but the price is still pretty high for you know, everyday person, like most of the people that text me or email me or looking for a phone closer to the five hundred range.
Speaker 2: And so.
Speaker 1: I guess that goes right into my first story. Google released a new pixel. It's not the pixel that I'm waiting for, you know, I'm waiting for the Pixel six, And mark my words, I will switch to the Pixel six from the iPhone if it's any good. And by any good, I mean they get the processor right, they get the memory right, they get the storage right, they get the screen right, they get the cameras right, which they usually do, and they get kind of like the overall, the overall package right. Like the pixel is one of the best cameras out there, but it's just every year, like the package is like, ugh, it's.
Speaker 2: A little damaged. You know.
Speaker 1: It's like getting a box from Amazon that's just like dented in on one side and you're like, ah, I can't really like, I can't accept this package the.
Speaker 2: Way it is.
Speaker 1: So the new Pixel five A with five G say that five times fast. They call it the latest A series Pixel phone. So I was talking to my brother about this and he's like, what does the A mean? And I said, well, I think it's just a.
Speaker 2: Delineation that it's not as high powered.
Speaker 1: But it's confusing because you're gonna have the Pixel six come out, so you've got the Pixel five A and then the six. So I guess that makes kind of sense, but I don't know. Anyway, the phone's gonna arrive in August twenty sixth. It's a IP sixty seven water resistant.
Speaker 2: Let me just go.
Speaker 1: I mean it's basically the Pixel four A five G with a couple of little upgrades. Okay, the forur A does not have water resistance. The for A, well, I guess they're getting rid of.
Speaker 2: The four A five G. This is so confusing, but it's got a good battery.
Speaker 1: It's got a forty six hundred eighty milliamp hour battery.
Speaker 2: That is huge. I mean that is really really large.
Speaker 1: Now, the memory is six gigabytes a RAM, which I just wish they would stop scrimping on the RAM on these Android phones and just put in you gotta do minimum eight twelve is way better. So it's got six. It's got one hundred and twenty eight gigs of storage, which is fine. It's got a dual SIM it's got a six point three inch full HD plus O lead does not have the high refresh rate screen. It's got all the camera features you need. It's got the rear cameras. It's got a dual a twelve megapixel camera and an ultra wide sixteen megapixel.
Speaker 2: Which is fine.
Speaker 1: It would be nice to have a telephoto lens in there as well.
Speaker 2: You don't get that.
Speaker 1: It's got that slower Qualcom Snapdragon processor, the.
Speaker 2: Seven sixty five g boring.
Speaker 1: But it does have a audio jack, which is really cool. So I would say, honestly, sight on scene, I guess I was not on the list of Google sent this phone to pretty much anyone with a with a pulse except me.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Why did I say something bad about the Pixel.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: They've sent me every Pixel since it ari, since it came out, and this year they decide now we're just not going to tell Rich about this. So every single influencer, every blogger, everyone.
Speaker 2: Was tweeting, oh got my free gift from Google.
Speaker 1: And someone like myself, who my audience is actually really interested in this phone, they did not contact me to get me this phone to reach. I don't know what the deal is. I mean, Google, I thought we had a good relationship. I guess not so anyway, sight on scene. Honestly, this is probably one of the phones I will recommend the most this year to the average person. And the reason I recommend this phone is because it is so simple. It has all the features you need. And if you're not a wild power user like you need the best, the best, the best, the highest specs, the best.
Speaker 2: Ram, the best screen.
Speaker 1: If you just want a phone that you can pull out of your pocket, make phone calls on surf the web, look at Instagram, take amazing pictures on have great battery life. That's gonna be the Pixel five A with five G I mean, that's the bottom line. And by the way, this phone is four hundred and forty nine dollars. That is a fantastic price. Under five hundred dollars. You buy it, you get it. It works, it's gonna last for minimum three years, and it's It's not the fastest phone in the world.
Speaker 2: It's not the sexiest phone in the world.
Speaker 1: But guess what it does what you need it to do. And for that reason, I really like this phone. It's not the Pixel six that someone like me, who is a phone sort of power hungry phone nerd needs. It's just a phone for the everyday person and it you know, yes, you might say, rich, why not recommend a Samsung? Well, yeah, the samsungs are fine, but they've they're so busy, They've got so much going on that unless you're a Samsung person, you don't necessarily need all the things that Samsung has going on. I think the Pixel five A is going to be just fine for a lot of people. So I hope that I end up getting my hands on one of these. But honestly, I'm buying the Pixel six no matter what, so I will I will get that, and.
Speaker 2: Of course I'll talk about that as well.
Speaker 1: All right, let's get to the first question of the show. Let's see, Ivory says rich, due to the price of Adobe Acrobat Pro twenty twenty, what product do you recommend that performs similar functions for a Windows ten machine. Now, Adobe Acrobat Pro.
Speaker 2: Twenty twenty is wow.
Speaker 1: Is it really four hundred and fifty dollars? WHOA, that is a lot of money.
Speaker 2: Let's see. So what does it do?
Speaker 1: So it's basically the ability to create PDFs. Most of us are just either printing out a page that is a PDF, or we're filling in a PDF, or we're working with PDFs, or we're converting something to PDFs, all things that you can pretty much do for free. But if you want to create and like really modify PDFs, like if your business driven, you need something like Adobe Acrobat Pro. And so what this does is it lets you, you know, fill in forms, create and combined PDFs, send documents with your for signature, send track and confirmed delivery, add or edit text, reorder, delete or rotate pages. And you also what's new I don't know anyway, So this just this is like a This is like Microsoft Word but for PDFs. So if you need that, you're going to have to pay for that. Now from what I'm seeing, it looks like it's about four hundred and fifty dollars, which is a lot of money. So Ivory if you want an alternative, The only real product that I know is from fox It software Foxit, and they have a PDF editor that is not free. You know, you get a free trial, but if you want to actually purchase it, you do need to pay.
Speaker 2: And so if you want.
Speaker 1: The regular PDF editor, there's two versions. There's the PDF editor and then there's the pro. So the regular one is going to be one hundred and fifty nine dollars. The pro is one hundred and ninety nine dollars, and that's a one time fee.
Speaker 2: So if you want.
Speaker 1: Something that's less than half the price of Adobe, it's going to be.
Speaker 2: This is it, this is fox It.
Speaker 1: So I have not truly played with this software enough to give you a really good explanation of it versus the Adobe software. And I assume Adobe is the leader. They've got the brand name. There might also be a circumstance where you can subscribe to the Adobe software and get it for less every month, So that might be another thing to look into. If you don't want to do fox it and fox it. You know, it's probably gonna be fine. I don't know the exact features that you need.
Speaker 2: Did you. Let's see did Ivory. Let's see did Ivory write what features she needed? Let's see.
Speaker 1: Oh, here we go, password protection, combine several documents into one search, convert pdf into word, and vice versa. Okay, so yeah, I think that the fox at one is probably going to do those things. Those are pretty basic functionality. The convert PDF into word you can actually do with with Google Docs for free. So if you just upload a pdf into Google Docs, there's functionality that it will be used to. Yeah, I'm pretty sure you can do that. I've done that before. It might not be pretty, the conversion might not be pretty, but it will definitely do something similar to that. All right, good question, good question, good question.
Speaker 2: All right, let's talk.
Speaker 1: About the big story of the week, a cyber attack on T Mobile. So these cyber attacks are really getting gnarly because it's no longer because these companies have become such mega corporations with millions and millions and millions of customers and tons of data. Every time we hear about one of these major hacks. They just get bigger and bigger. And this T Mobile one is pretty scary because what happened is they got a lot of stuff seven point eight million current T mobile customers, includes first and last names, data, birth, social security number, social security numbers, I say, social number, driver's license. Those are all the things that you need to steal someone's identity.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 1: They also determined that phone numbers as well as your Imei, which is the number that oh my gosh, that identifies your smartphone, was also compromised. Oh my gosh.
Speaker 2: This is unbelievable. Oh.
Speaker 1: They also identified another five point three million customers that didn't have social security numbers or driver's licenses on their accounts, but they still were impacted. So this number just continues to grow. By the way, there was also forty million former or prospective T mobile customers who had their oh my gosh, this is just wild who had their information taken. So basically you're talking forty eight million plus another five so you're talking over fifty million people. This is a major buzzer alert for T Mobile.
Speaker 2: And and I mean, look, what are you gonna do.
Speaker 1: You're gonna are you gonna cancel T Mobile? Probably not are you gonna switch to AT and T or Verizon? It could have happened to them.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: I don't know what the deal is with T Mobile systems how this happened. Uh, But you know, it's just one of these things that leaves a really bad taste in your mouth because this is your highly personal information that is now floating around on the internet. And I'm talking floating around. I had a T Mobile account at one time, and I'm wondering if mine is part of this. So I mean five point eight forty million customers former customers. Yeah, basically this is my information as well. So I'm really angry here.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 1: T Mobile says none of the information included financial, credit card, debit or other payment. Well, who cares about that? I mean, don't use your bank account to pay bills, Okay, that's number one. At least put a debit or credit card between you now, you know, if you listen to my show. Not a huge fan of credit cards because the implications of them. Yes, I have one, I try to use it sparingly, but I do like the idea that a credit card does put a wall between you and your bank account. So if T Mobile shares my credit card number out there.
Speaker 2: I really don't care.
Speaker 1: Let them charge as much as they want on it, because guess what, I'm not paying that bill. If it's not me making that charge, I don't really care. Let let American Express or Capital One or you know these Bank of America figure that out. I don't need to worry about that debit card. You know, there are limitations on your debit card, Like I remember at some point it was like a on mine I had.
Speaker 2: I think it was like a five hundred dollars limit.
Speaker 1: You can call your bank and ask them what the limit is, and you can set like a spend limit per day. So if let's say someone got a hold of your debit card number, you can actually limit it to only authorize like a thousand dollars of purchases a day, which.
Speaker 2: I know that's a lot for me.
Speaker 1: I'm like, I hope I don't spend that much in a day, but if you did, you know it would cut off. And that's smart because if a hacker did get access to your debit card, you know, they can only do so much damage before you know you figure it out. And yeah, and in the end, with a debit card, you'll still probably get your money back. It's just a little bit more of a headache because it's your money that's going out and now you have to get that money back.
Speaker 2: So banks, you know.
Speaker 1: The way that these cards work is that, you know, if I use my debit card at Target, let's say, and you know, something happens or it's fraudulent whatever, you know, Target doesn't get that money from my bank immediately. They get it on like a thirty day rolling basis. So if something goes wrong the bank, you know, let's say it's Bank of America, they just say, oh, Target, by the way, we're not giving you that thirty three dollars that rich spent there because that's being contested. And until that money actually clears the system and everyone agrees that the transaction was legit, then they'll get that money.
Speaker 2: So that's how that works.
Speaker 1: So it's not like, you know, they get the money immediately. Now, if it's cash, yeah, it's it's gone. It's out of your pocket and it's gone. If it's you know, any other way to pay.
Speaker 2: That, that's like immediate.
Speaker 1: But if it's a debit card or a credit card, they pretty much you know, have to wait for that money to clear from the bank. All right, what else do we need to know? So what is T Mobile doing about this? They're giving people two years of free identity services, identity protection from mcaffee or McAfee McAfee.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's a big deal. I mean, sign up for that for sure.
Speaker 1: T Mobile customers should sign up for the free scam call blocking. Oh okay, let me block those scam calls. They also tell customers that they should reset their pin numbers on their account.
Speaker 2: Oh. Interesting, they change their little website. Huh, that's interesting. They said to.
Speaker 1: Activate account takeover protection, which I would definitely do. And it's just one of these things. It's kind of a nightmare. So I mean, it's out there, it's done. There's not much you can do about it. It's it's just really unfortunate that that happened. But my biggest advice is to not share. Just limit how much personal data you share. I think I mentioned this in the podcast last week, but limit how much data you share. That is the number one thing you can do is just try to keep it, you know, keep yourself from you know, just anytime someone asks you for something, think about, do I really really need to share this information?
Speaker 2: Because you know.
Speaker 1: They'll ask anyone's welcome to ask for anything, and unless they you know, they push you. Or there's that little asterisk next to it on a website that says, hey, if you're using this, you got to put in your email address, your date of birth or whatever.
Speaker 2: And sometimes I even fake it.
Speaker 1: I'll put in a fake data birth. It's a random website. Why do they need to know my actual data birth? Like, no way, I'll just put a fake one in there. And you know, as long as there's nothing, no harm, no foul, like, they don't need to really know anything about me, all right. Next question comes from Christopher. Christopher says, good morning. My boys are starting to walk to school. Now is there an inexpensive way to track them? I've been looking at AirTag and tyle, but I wanted to see what you thought. Thanks well, thank you Christopher for inspiring a segment on KTLA. Future segment, I will be talking about some of these things that I think parents should look at for tracking their kids. So you mentioned the AirTag, and the AirTag is probably the first solution that comes to mind for most people because it's, oh, it's a tracker. It's twenty nine bucks. It works with my iPhone, and yeah, it's great.
Speaker 2: It does work. It does what it says it does.
Speaker 1: But you have to remember this is not meant for people or pets. Now, that does not mean that people are not using it for people in pets, and you can there's no law against it. But if you use an air tag to track your kid, you need to know the limitations of the air tag. The air tag is just a battery with a Bluetooth beacon on it, and that's it. And so what it does is it actually uses nearby Apple products to get its Internet connection and then share that location, you know, or share its location with the network. And so the good news is there's a lot of iPhones around, there's a lot of Mac computers, there's a lot of iPads, and as long as one of those is nearby, it's gonna, you know, update this little device and you're gonna see the location on the find my app on your iPhone.
Speaker 2: And that's fine.
Speaker 1: Now you have to remember the updates may not be in real time, so you can see if your child is, you know, at school, you can see where they are at any given time as long as the air tag has gotten a fresh connection or a recent fresh connection to the internet using you know, a nearby device, and so that's that's the simplest, cheapest, easiest way. But again you need to know that it's not real time.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: If you want real time again, you've got T Mobile sync Up Tracker. This is a tracker that actually has a cellular connection and GPS built in. Now, it's not meant for kids again, but it can work for them because you can put it on their backpack and you can get real time tracking. You can check in at anytime and it will actually connect to the Internet itself. It connects to the T Mobile network and then you can also get boundary alerts, so you can set a boundary around your kids school and as soon as they enter that boundary, you will get an alert to your phone that they have entered, or you can do an exit boundary as well. The battery lasts an average of three to four DA's, so you're gonna have to charge this thing pretty frequently, as opposed to the air tag, which is like once a year. The T Mobile sync Up is also sixty dollars plus five dollars a month for service, so that costs money, but you're gonna get more accurate reporting. Now, if you want something that was made specifically for tracking kids, check out the geobit. This is a monitor. I met with the I think it was the founder of the company at CS a couple of years ago, and he said, it's great for elderly folks, it's great for kids.
Speaker 2: You know. You has a.
Speaker 1: Built in again, built in GPS, built in cellular. But the magic here is that they optimized the software for tracking kids. So that's like the main difference is that a lot of the software was written specifically with tracking kids in mind, so you can see real time GPS location history, and like I mentioned earlier, the alerts when they arrive or leave trusted places. Now this is a little more expensive. It's one hundred and thirty dollars plus. The service starts at nine dollars a month. And by the way, when I say nine dollars a month, that's if you you know, do like a three year.
Speaker 2: Contract or a two year contract.
Speaker 1: If you're paying by the month, all of these things are a little bit more expensive, like fifteen a month. Next up is gab Watch. Gabb and I have not tested the gab watch, but I did meet with this try another product from gab and they're basically a company that's making like inexpensive unlocked wireless products that are just pretty easy to use. So this watch is one hundred dollars, but it's a smart watch, and yeah it's no Apple Watch, but it's gonna let your kids make phone calls. They can text, but just to the contacts that you allow. There's an emergency SOS feature, there's a fun little digital pet they can play with, and there's a step counter as well. This service starts at ten dollars a month.
Speaker 2: And finally, if you want like.
Speaker 1: Sort of the most thorough solution, the Apple Watch with cellular can can really be the best solution, especially if you're looking for a bridge for your kids to have one of these tracker solutions but not have a full fledged smartphone. So the Apple Watch, they introduce this feature called Family Setup, and so this means you can you know, typically an Apple Watch always required an iPhone to work, so you had to have an iPhone, you had to activate it on your account, they had to work in Unison. Now they have this thing called Family set Up, where as long as you have an iPhone or I think an iPad as well. You can just activate an Apple Watch, and once you do, it'll just live on its own. It just does its own thing. And there's two ways you can do it. It can live on its own which is Wi Fi, but if you want to use the family setup feature, you have to use a cellular connection, and so that means you have to get the price her Apple Watch with the cellular connection. The cheapest is the Apple Watch se with cellular that's gonna be about three hundred and thirty bucks.
Speaker 2: But this can do everything.
Speaker 1: You can make calls, it can track your kid, they can set them texts including I messages, you can they can fully track their activity. They can listen to music on this thing. There's all kinds of apps on it. So I mean it's an Apple Watch. It's gonna be, you know, the gold standard of smart watches. And they have this cool classroom watch face which is less distracting and I don't believe that the messages come through when they're in the classroom function, so you can have that turn on a certain time and turn off at a certain time during the day.
Speaker 2: So that's a really cool feature.
Speaker 1: This is gonna be, Like I said, you gotta go with the Apple Watch s with cellular, or you can go Apple Watch four with cellular and above, and I believe it's the four and it's three hundred and thirty bucks. Like I said, service runs about ten dollars a month.
Speaker 2: Apple Watch.
Speaker 1: Let me just see Apple Watch family set up. Let me just see what it requires, because I think it was the Apple Watch for yeah, Apple Watch series four or later with cellular or Apple Watch.
Speaker 2: Se with cellular.
Speaker 1: So if you have an old Apple Watch like you're, but you have to have cellular on it for this to really work. I mean, you can activate it without cellular, but it's just not gonna You're not gonna get the features that you need without cellular. So I wouldn't even bother if you didn't have cellular, because honestly, it's gonna be such a nightmare that sometimes you can get through to your kid. Sometimes you'd be able to see where their location is, and other times you wouldn't, based on whether this thing can find a Wi Fi signal and also be connected to that Wi Fi signal. So for that reason, I would definitely not go the Apple Watch route unless you're prepared to do the cellular plan and get the cellular model. Otherwise, I mean, unless they're just using it in the house or something, that's the best.
Speaker 2: Way to do it.
Speaker 1: All right, long answer, but good question, Chris, and thanks for the segment. Watch for it on KTLA soon. All right, let's talk about Okay, we've all been on Zoom for you know, a year and a half. I wonder what the numbers are like on Zoom at this point, Like they must be so much lower than last year, because so many kids are back in school and so many people are back at work. Even though you know, it's still this virus or whatever, COVID is still just wrecking havoc on our world. It's so wild that it just keeps going. But this this idea of a virtual reality meeting room, this is what face Book has introduced with their new Horizon Workrooms through their Oculus brand. So Oculus, you know, is their virtual reality headset and brand, and so they introduce this thing called Horizon Workrooms, which are free virtual meeting rooms. And I think this is so so cool, but I don't see it taking off in a huge way just yet. But I totally think it's amazing. And so what is it. It's a virtual meeting room. You put your headset on and you get into this room with your colleagues and now you can see each other as an avatar. You can pick the room that you want to meet in, so they've all got all kinds of fun rooms. The rooms get bigger and smaller depending on how many people are in there. This can support up to sixteen people in VR, up to fifty total, because not everyone has a VR headset in fact, like nobody does, so you know, you might have one person that's.
Speaker 2: Like, can we please do the meeting in a VR please.
Speaker 1: And everyone else like, uh okay, I mean no one else has VR, but sure you can do VR rich and then we'll just call in so you can do that. But they've got all kinds of neat features that you would need in a meeting, like you know, your desk and keyboard tracking so you can kind of do mixed reality where you can when you're typing on your keyboard, other people will see that. They've got hand tracking, so you can actually write on like a whiteboard. They've got your desktop or so you can actually show share your screen. They've got all spatial audio, which is really cool too, because spatial audio is allows you to hear people, and like let's say I'm sitting here at my desk and i hear someone that's talking on my left, the audio sounds like it's coming from the left.
Speaker 2: That's what spatial audio is.
Speaker 1: And we're seeing more and more of this, and I'll have another story about that in a moment.
Speaker 2: But it's just it's such.
Speaker 1: A cool feeling because it literally feels like the person is where they look like they are, if that makes sense.
Speaker 2: So you've got spatial audio, you've got.
Speaker 1: The virtual whiteboards, you can actually draw in VR and you can and you know, keep that and save whatever you do. You've got all kinds of different virtual rooms. I mean, it's just everything you need to actually have these meetings in the virtual world. But again, like I said, this is gonna be really really tricky to take off, because let's be honest. I mean, think about a meeting that you have at your office. When you had meetings, I mean, it's basically a bare bones conference room. You know, people are on their phones, they're distracted, they get in there, they're sitting on their laptops. Like it's not this like idealized vision of the future where everyone's like okay, let me strap on my headset.
Speaker 2: And let's get to this meeting.
Speaker 1: Like even with Zoom meetings, I'm always like a couple minutes late. I'm just plugging in my headphones, like I'm literally adjusting like which input and output for my speakers, or like my Bluetooth isn't working, Like it's a mess, right, Like we're lucky that we actually can, you know, do some of these meetings and make them, and then you know people are sick of them. They're you know, let me go, and they click off so fast that like you don't even say a bye practically. So to go from that to a virtual meeting room where everyone has an Oculus headset and and they're sitting there like using that Oculus headset and trying to refer to their notes on their computer, I mean, it's it's gonna be pretty wild. It's definitely a stretch. But I do see this kind of thing taking off in the future because it is cool, and I do think a large element of future work is going to take place with virtual meetings instead of face to face, just because people always want to meet face to face. But I think is as companies can save money on travel and people realize they don't necessarily need to travel. We will see more of an emphasis on this.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: The other big thing about this is that you're talking companies, right, And what do you think when you think you're discussing stuff with your company, it's most of the time it's private.
Speaker 2: You don't want this.
Speaker 1: Thing aired anywhere. So you have to wonder, okay, well if this is you know, with Zoom, you know, it was a big deal when they first came out, like okay, what's where is this stuff traveling through? Is it traveling through servers in China? Is it here in America?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: Where where is my stuff going? And you know, that was a big deal when Zoom first kind of came to fruition, when people started using it a lot, and so they got to the bottom of that and they said, hey, you know, they gave some clear indications of how your stuff was being used, how private it was. You know, they introduced end to end encryption, which you know satisfied a lot of the privacy issues. And so now with Facebook, you know, we need to know this. They didn't mention anything about encryption, so they didn't mention that word at all in their blog posts. So that's probably not happening. But they did say it's designed to be safe, so let's see what they say about safety. So safety and privacy. So workrooms will not use your work conversations and material to inform ads on Facebook. Okay, sad that they have to say that, but yes, that's a consideration. The audio contents of your meetings are processed on Facebook servers, but they're not stored, but someone can record them and send us a clip as part of a report. In this case, we'll use the information to take appropriate action and then.
Speaker 2: Delete the recordings.
Speaker 1: So that is a very interesting aspect of this is that, you know, think about this idea that these meetings are likely to be recorded, and if someone is you know, being a little bad in that meeting, or says something that's not right, or someone doesn't agree with or whatever, it could be a recording that you know, could not only It's just there's a lot of implications of this, so we'll see what happens. I think it's really cool. Again, it's called Horizon Workrooms. It's from Oculus. I'd love to try it out.
Speaker 2: I don't have an.
Speaker 1: Oculus, but this would this wouldn't be my reason to get one, but it's definitely the VR stuff if it came along a little bit more. It's so compelling to me. I just love virtual reality. There's just not that one killer application just yet. All Right, Roy has kind of a wow loaded question here. I'm interested in making my home more automated with some smart devices. Might you recommend products that work with home Kit for sensors, wall light switches, light bulbs, Will light bulbs work by themselves? Or do they need a smart plug? Smart plugs, outdoor cameras. Thanks for all the time you put into your podcast, Roy, Well, Roy, this is quite the question, and I'm gonna try to break it down and explain. Now, home Kit is definitely the.
Speaker 2: What's the word?
Speaker 1: I love the word fledgling, but I don't think that's the right term here. Fledgling means, oh, it is a person or organization that is immature, inexperienced, or underdeveloped.
Speaker 2: So I'm right it is. Home Kit is the.
Speaker 1: Most fledgling of the three sort of standards when it comes to smart home. You've got Google, You've got alex A, you know Amazon stuff, and you've got home Kit. And so with Google you've got basically ninety nine point nine percent of smart home products work with both Google and Alexa A. Whoops, Okay, well alex A, so you know ninety nine percent of the stuff works with them. Then you've got home Kit, and you really got to look hard because not too many things work with HomeKit. Now, if you want to look at home Kit accessories, you can go to Apple's website and you can look at Apple dot com, slash iOS, slash Home and they've got all the different things, So you can look at all the different stuff that works with it.
Speaker 2: It's not that much.
Speaker 1: I mean, you're talking a video doorbell, You've got Logitech Circle light bulbs, You've got Nano Leaf, Logitech cameras, Wemo Smart miniplug. So to answer your question, I think that you have to look at some of these brands. So I think for your lights, I would go two routes. I would probably go Hugh Phillips. Hugh the most expense there, but they're also the most flexible. So let's say you start building this thing out and you say, this home Kit stuff is just not doing it for me, Well, you can switch to you know, the other two platforms, no problem, because Hugh works with all three. So that's number one. Number two, what else did you ask about?
Speaker 2: You said wall switches.
Speaker 1: So when it comes to sensors and wall switches, I think that you're.
Speaker 2: Gonna have to look at something like a u oh gosh.
Speaker 1: I think you know, like Weemo is gonna be for like smart plugs. The wall switches, you're gonna have to again go with Hugh. Sensors, You're gonna have to go with Hugh. Outdoor cameras are a little tricky because there's just not that much And if I look at cameras literally on on Apple's website there is the UFI Cameras one model, and then Logitech and and oh and eve Eve, so you just don't get So for my what I I've done is I think I really like the the ring stuff for when it comes to like all around the house with cameras and things like that. I like the hue when it comes to lights. And that's basically it. That's what I've built out, and I'm trying to stick to those two things because they do work together.
Speaker 2: They work pretty well.
Speaker 1: And the home kit stuff is nice, Like I think that Apple did a really nice job designing like the app and everything and it's built into the iPhone.
Speaker 2: And all that good stuff. It's just not there. It's just not like the stuff that you need.
Speaker 1: And I don't know what the reasoning is, like why these companies are so loath to like adopt it.
Speaker 2: I probably think that it's just easier to do the other two.
Speaker 1: Less licensing, less hoops to jump through, and I just think there's so many more products, And if you want to go super cheap, you can get like a light bulb for like five bucks at Walmart and it still works with Google and alex A. So I mean, there's just so many more options when it comes to these other platform I think the home Kit stuff is you're going down a very narrow path with that. And yes, it will get better, but I just think at this point, stick to Hugh, stick to Ring, and I think that those two products, those two product lines will really help you get you know, the most the most varied out of you know, like the the most accessories out of all the different things you can look for. But anyway, Roy, good luck with building it out and hopefully you know it all works out for you, all right. I talked about spatial audio a little bit ago, and Netflix confirmed to I guess users on Reddit and there's a report from I Generation. I'm getting this from nine to five Mac. But Netflix confirm it's rolling out spatial audio support for iPhone and iPad apps, which is huge. I remember watching a movie in with spatial audio and it's just fantastic. I mean, it's really really cool. Yeah, to have air pods pro or max to use it, but again, it just means that the audio happens in the area where you'd expect it to happen.
Speaker 2: So small thing.
Speaker 1: But if you're on you know, i'd say on a plane, but I'm not even sure you'll be able to hear it on the plane, but I guess you would if you're with noise canceling.
Speaker 2: But you know, if you're watching a.
Speaker 1: Movie or a TV show that supports it, and you've got it on Netflix, and you've got the iPad or the iPhone and you've got the air pods and all these things are in line, and the stars are also aligned as well.
Speaker 2: No, that's not it.
Speaker 1: I thought I had like a no, okay, I thought I had the Princess sound effect, you know, like the Fantasy Land. But anyway, if all those things are all those things are satisfied, you will hear the spatial audio, and once you do it is it is actually very cool. All right, Since that was such a short story, I'll just move on to the next story. This is a sad day in history. Well, you still got a couple of years, but the magnetic stripe we'll start to disappear from cards in twenty twenty four. So Master Card is the first bank to say, you know what, we just don't need these things anymore now, the magnetic stripe. There's some history behind this. I don't know if you're old enough to remember this, but back in the day when I was a kid and i'd watch my parents use their credit card, it was a by the way, it was always American Express, and it was one of those cards, you know. You put it in this little machine and it was like a metal like I don't know how you describe it, but you would physically place the card down and then there was like this roller thing on top. They put this little piece of paper with some carbon in between it, and it would they would go chick and it would literally you would roll this this rolly thing over the card and make a physical imprint of the card onto this little slip, and a lot of times you would fill out this slip with like the amount of the transaction and then you would sign this slip. Now, that is just wild that we've gone from that to tap and pay in my lifetime. I mean, that is pretty amazing. And so after the whole there was a magnetic stripe, and the problem with it is that there was no authorization. Now, I remember there were certain times when it was like a big amount the retailer. And I'm reaching way back into memory here and maybe this was just made up in my memory, but I remember like the retailer would actually have to call up like American Express and be like, hey, we've got Joe Schmoe here and he's got a a four and seventy five dollars bill.
Speaker 2: Can we authorize that?
Speaker 1: And they would give you like an authorization number that you can write down so that you knew the card was good for that amount.
Speaker 2: So, I mean, think about that.
Speaker 1: When the magnetic stripe came along, it allowed companies to in real time not only capture the data from the card, but also authorize the amount and the transaction. And so that, of course, I'm sure cut down on fraud. It cut down on all kinds of stuff. It was just more efficient. And then of course we've got the the the chip which they added to the card, and the chip brings another level of of security because now it's a unique number every time, So every time you dip your little card in the chip reader, it doesn't exchange the card number from your card. It actually exchanges a one time number that is then authorized and the transaction goes through. So that's even more secure because if that card number ever got out there, well it wouldn't work again, so it doesn't really matter.
Speaker 2: And so that was really cool.
Speaker 1: And then kind of at the same time that the man that the chip came out, we got tapped to pay. And I remember doing a story with Apple Pay. Oh, let me se how many years ago? This was Apple Pay. By the way, if you ever want to look up a story I did, all you have to do is type in the keyword Apple pay ktla DeMuro and that's it and that'll bring you. And so here November seventeen, twenty fourteen, is when I did a story when Apple Pay first came out, and I walked out, walked down Third Street promenade with Apple's Eddie Q and we kind of went to Panera, went to Disney Store. Some of the early adopters of the tap and pay, which Apple never called it that, They always called it Apple Pay. They wanted you to think it was proprietary, special to them, when in reality, you know you've got Apple Pay, You've got it's basically just RFID, and in fact, a lot of credit cards have it built in right on the card itself these days. I don't really see the point of that because I always had my phone with me and I'd always rather just tap my phone.
Speaker 2: But I guess you know, it's good to have in.
Speaker 1: Case you haven't set up the the Apple Pay or Google Pay or Samsung Pay on your smartphone. But I just recommend doing that because it's more secure, it's easy, it's simple. And I actually read an article, I think it was life Hacker where someone said this was an added benefit that if you're traveling and you lose your physical card, they can update the digital card on your phone, so you actually would still have a way to pay, which is kind of cool. I think I mentioned that on the podcast as well.
Speaker 2: But anyway, so with all that said, here is the deal.
Speaker 1: Newly issued master Card credit and debit cards will not be required to have a stripe starting in twenty twenty four. In the US it's twenty twenty seven, because we're just slow here to adopt.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Europe is like so much faster in Europe and Asia for the chip based transactions and the tap and pay are just so much so ahead of the US. And then by twenty thirty three, no master card, credit or debit card will have magnetic stripes. So there's a big runway here. But I'm not sad to see it go, because I mean, it's called progress and we're all good. So to me, if I could tap and pay everywhere, that would be amazing. I can leave my card behind. But it's just not everywhere just yet. Restaurant being the major holdout, and in the US especially, restaurants do not come to your table to let you tap and pay or put the chip in. Although I was at a restaurant last week with my mom that did do this.
Speaker 2: It was called a Paradise Cove in Malibu. I know.
Speaker 1: We went to Malibu, lat and to my surprise, the place was like a tourist trap.
Speaker 2: It was great. It was on the ocean.
Speaker 1: You know it was beautiful, but we're talking like twenty five bucks for a drink because it's like, you know, there's nothing on the menu that's less than like twenty dollars because it's a you know, it's you're paying for the view, right But when they came to my table for the bill, you know you could they came right to your table with the little machine that they run the cart in right away, which I just love. You tap the card, it does it. Some restaurants i've been to take it a step further they give you like a portfolio and you can actually split the bill right on your check. That would be awesome. That would be my dream for every restaurant, especially when you go out with friends. A lot of times, not everyone at the table is, you know, in agreement that you just want to split it. Let's say you're with you know, three other couples. You know, some people want to split it three ways. Some people don't, and I'm fine with that. If they don't want to do it, it's fine. Usually there's an over under of about twenty dollars I've noticed, but some people are not comfortable. They want to just pay what they exactly had and that's fine, that's their progative. But the problem is it's a pain if the server's trying to do that. And we have the technology where give me a tablet, let me choose the five or six things that we had, and give me my total including the tip in the tax, and I'll pay it and then I'll move it to the next person. They choose their five things and they pay their little portion, and then the final person gets hosed because they're on the hook for anything that anyone else forgot. No, just kidding, it's just you know, it'll work out. But I don't understand why restaurants have not adopted that more often, because I don't know if it's a tip thing, or you know, if waiters get cheaper tips because of that or what. But it just it's probably just the expense of it and the upkeep and the maintenance.
Speaker 2: But it's just to me. I love the idea that I can just say, Okay, I had.
Speaker 1: A iced tea, I had a salad, Okay, I had that appetizer, I had that dessert, I had that main entree, and oh there's my total boom.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 1: Uh, what was I talking about? I don't even know anyway, credit card going away?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 1: So we talked about in the last episode about extended warranties. I said that I never get them, and Tony wrote in and said, I myself usually don't buy extended warranties on.
Speaker 2: TVs, but I did with a TCL. I'll tell you why.
Speaker 1: The version I was looking to buy I was getting great reviews, but some people said they were getting ones with a dirty screen effect. So I bought the warranty just in case. It wasn't very much. If I remember, the TV costed about five hundred dollars. I bought it from Amazon. Sure enough, when I got the TV, there were some blotches on the screen whenever a screen was showing a completely white screen or a blue sky.
Speaker 2: Not a big deal.
Speaker 1: I didn't want to go through the trouble of sending it back and not having a TV. About a year or so later, I decided to go ahead and replace it under the extended warranty. A repair guy called and asked what the problem was. I told him about the dirty screen effect, and he told me to email him pictures of the screen. He called back and said no need for him to come by and repair. I would just get a full refund. A few days later, I got the full price credited to my Amazon account, so I basically got a free TV. And while I occasionally see those blotches, still it's not a big deal. I thought you'd like to know, Tony Well, sounds like, sounds like it worked out in your favorite Tony and.
Speaker 2: You know, honestly, I would. I get it. I get what you're saying.
Speaker 1: It's like you got your money backs, you can deal with those little splotches. I am assuming this is not your primary TV.
Speaker 2: Maybe it is, but I get it.
Speaker 1: Like there's Amazon does this thing now even when you try to return things, They've got some kind of algorithm that sometimes if it's more expensive for it to be returned or more trouble for their system, they just say keep it. And you know, they're experimenting with a lot of different things when it comes to returns. So you bought the extended warranty, so so the reality is it worked out, and yes, sometimes the extend of warranty will work out like like it.
Speaker 2: Did in this case.
Speaker 1: That's not always the case, but I'm glad that it did. I still don't really recommend them, because you know, there's you didn't.
Speaker 2: Know what was going to happen here.
Speaker 1: You know, you didn't know if this TV was gonna you know, if you had to slap it back to somewhere, you know, and bring it back into the store. But it you know, again, it's just one of these things where it worked out this time. But there's probably one hundred other people that bought a TV in that month that they never made a claim and Amazon just got free money and split it with a surion or whoever provides the warranties at Amazon at this point. But anyway, I'm glad it worked out and it sounds great. And you know, like I said, I'm not gonna fault you if you want to buy an extended warranty, and that makes you feel better when you buy electronics by all means do it. I'm just saying there's a reason why these companies offer it. Math works out in the insurance company's favor. It always does. That's why it's called an insurance company. But it's also called insurance for a reason. It gives you peace of mind. And I am as as.
Speaker 2: What am I with my money? I am not?
Speaker 1: I am frugal and as frugal as I am with my money. There is also something called convenience. There's something called peace of mind, and there is money that you have to spend in your lifetime that gives you those two things. It also gives you enjoyment. And so you know, if you stay at a nice hotel that costs one hundred dollars more than a bad hotel, I can't fault you for that. You've you've got, you know, luxury in your life. You've got a great feeling, You've got a great memory. So money does a lot of different things, and I don't like wasting money, and sometimes things fall under wasteful spending. But at the same time, I'm not going to fault you for directing your money to what gives you a return on that money in any way that you feel like that's a return. And if you feel tony that you got the return, that's great. That's all that matters here. And so I'm just saying in general, you know, there are circumstances where people feel like they got ripped off or they feel like it didn't work out, and so for those reasons, I typically don't recommend the warranties, but I'm not going to fault you if you go ahead and do it all right. Another big story this week, CS twenty twenty two says they will require proof of vaccination to attend CS twenty twenty two, which is happening in Las Vegas January fifth through eighth, twenty twenty two.
Speaker 2: Now, as you might.
Speaker 1: Recall, I did host the virtual show, the All Digital Show last year, or I guess it was the beginning of this year. I do not have any inside knowledge of CS. They have not contacted me to host this year's digital show. I don't know if that will happen again with myself. I hope it does, but I don't know, and I will be ready to do it if that call comes in and I'm allowed to do it. But with all that said, they are moving ahead with the physical in person version of the show as well. It's gonna be a hybrid. You're gonna have in person and you're gonna have digital. I'm assuming, and again I don't know this, but I'm assuming the in person is going.
Speaker 2: To be scaled back.
Speaker 1: Typically there's over one hundred thousand people from around the world that come to CS. I don't think that will be the case in January.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Things are very fluid with this coronavirus and with COVID, and so who knows, we could be in a really good place in January.
Speaker 2: We just don't know.
Speaker 1: So I think that they're hedging their bets on this year's show by requiring the proof of vaccination. And they're also looking into accepting a proof of a positive antibody test as an alternative requirement. That has not been solidified yet, but I guess that's for folks that have had COVID that may not have this shot, and they say, I don't need the shot anyway, because I already had it, and so I've got the antibodies.
Speaker 2: I'm good to go. You know.
Speaker 1: I think that this is, you know, just the way the world right now. This is what's happening. We're seeing a lot of places require the vaccine to admit I see both sides of that argument. And you know, do I have it?
Speaker 2: Yes? And you know, I.
Speaker 1: Got it because it's sort of the best I can do to protect myself at this point, and I'm just not going to keep myself from, you know, any downside of of not having it, right, I just want to do the best I can do. I know that some people have reservations about it still, but again, I'm doing what I did what's best for me in my life. I wanted to travel to Hawaii. I wanted to travel home to New Jersey. I want to go out and do my stories. I want to interface with people, and I just yes, I know that there's still always an inherent risk right now with this thing. But again, like I said, I did the best that I can do. So CS is doing the best that they can do by requiring this, and I'm sure that some people will have a problem with that, but I am sure the majority of people will be.
Speaker 2: Totally fine with that.
Speaker 1: Now, with all that said, since so many places are requiring a vaccination card or a digital copy or whatever, I have not run into this just yet, but it seems like more and more places are doing this, and so for that reason, I did a story on KTLA about storing your digital vaccine pass on your phone, and so there's not one official method. I think most people are when they go on Google, they look up like, you know, digital vaccination card, And honestly, I think that the government probably should have thought about this when they came out with this weird little cardboard card that someone writes on that's a record of your vaccine. Like, give me a break, I mean, come on, we're in twenty twenty one. Like they there should have been a digital component to this card from day one.
Speaker 2: But there's not.
Speaker 1: But different states have made their own, like here in California, where I am. I was very surprised that you can go on the California Department of Health website and apparently wherever you get your vaccine, they feed the data into this website. Because I put my information in and boom, within a couple seconds, I had a QR code texted to me. And then you take that QR code and you can import it into various apps. I think the easiest my okay, so bottom line solution that I came up with. And if you get a QR code, like one of these smart digital health cards that a lot of these companies are using, CVS, Walgreens, Walmart, Carbon Health California. If you get one of these smart health cards, you download an app called common Pass and it will import that card into the pass. It will make a nice digital card that you can then show wherever you need to show. It doesn't add to your Apple Wallet or your Google Pay. It will add to Samsung Pay over the next two weeks, so that's really cool.
Speaker 2: I would hope they would.
Speaker 1: Make it so that you can add it to your app will Pay. I don't know why they didn't do that off the bat, but they didn't. So anyway, that's the easiest thing that I can see to do. There are also a couple other ways.
Speaker 2: You can do it.
Speaker 1: You can obviously just use the Notes app to make a scan of your card. You can use the drive app on Android to make a scan. You can also use if you're in New York, the Excelsior pass. Check with your I would say, check with your state to see if they have a digital passport. Check with your the person who or the provider that gave you your shot if they have a digital passport. Some of them do, like Carbon Health, I call it digital passport. I mean a digital copy of your card the Clear app if you want to go, if you already have Clear, or if you just want to use their app, you can create a digital vaccination card on their app.
Speaker 2: It is free.
Speaker 1: It is different from their health pass If you download the app, look for it just says digital vaccine card. You click there or tap there, I should say, and you follow the steps and you can make a digital vaccination card. There is no subscription to Clear necessary, and I like Clear because their app is really nice. It's very well designed. But those are the basic ways Google and Apple are actually.
Speaker 2: They are gonna bring. Sorry for that.
Speaker 1: I think you heard my phone ringing through the through the podcast there. That's that's real high quality podcast there. When you hear my phone ringing through the podcast, that's because my phone is plugged in for the Facebook Live. Oh anyway, so what was I saying?
Speaker 2: I lost my train of thought.
Speaker 1: But anyway, so that's the way to do it, vaccination card on your smartphone. And yeah, I totally lost my train of thought. But anyway, that's it.
Speaker 2: Let's let's just get to a question. One of the highest quality podcasts you can listen to. All right, let's see here.
Speaker 1: I think I have time for one more question. Okay, So Justin via Instagram says, hello, mister Demiro. I've seen you on KTLA five. I have a question. Do you have any tips on how to clean up your Mac laptop?
Speaker 2: Yes? I do. I do this very often.
Speaker 1: Number one tip if you have not done this in a while, and you're comfortable and a lot of your stuff is in the cloud, just do a full factory reset of your computer.
Speaker 2: Now. On a Mac, unlike.
Speaker 1: Windows, you can't just say hey, Windows ten has a feature called like refresh and you just basically it's kind of like on a smartphone where you can just factory reset it. Mac doesn't have that just yet. Maybe they will in the future, but you do. You know, there's a little bit of not know how involved, but you can go through and if you look up online clean install of you know, let's say, what are we on big sur? So if you do clean install of big sur you can follow the directions. It does take a little bit, but that's what I like to do once a year, is do a clean install of the software, and that way it gets rid of all little fragments of garbage and junk and stuff and things slowing down your system. That's like the nuclear approach. So if you want a fresh, fresh computer, if you want to reset the clock on your computer, maybe it's a little bit of an older Mac laptop, you want to reset the clock, give you another year before you have to buy a new one. That's the best way to do it because you really clean your system off and you get things. You get to start from scratch once again. Now, if you don't know how to do that, or you don't want to do that, or you feel like that's too much work, the next thing I would do is go through your entire system and delete everything, all the apps that you don't need, you don't recognize, you don't want. I would do that, get rid of the big files and you know, empty your trash, do all the software updates, and restart your computer and that should bring things up to speed a little bit.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: The easiest way to do all those things that I just mentioned is an app called.
Speaker 2: Clean my Mac.
Speaker 1: And so clean my Mac is like every other program nowadays. Usually there's either like a subscription component or a you know, a fee component.
Speaker 2: You can do a free trial.
Speaker 1: I don't think it does everything for the free trial, but that's the best thing I know of. I use it all the time on my computer. I've used it for ten years and it's just fantastic. So it's got every single thing you need in there. It's your cleanup, which cleans up your system, junk, your mail attachments, your trash, bins. It's got malware removal, it's got privacy kind of optimizations, it's got speed optimizations, maintenance, it's got an uninstaller that will uninstall all the little fragments of apps that.
Speaker 2: They may leave behind.
Speaker 1: And also my other favorite thing is it can look for large files taking up space or old files and it does all of this stuff in one scan. It sounds like an ad for Clean my Mac X, but it's not. It's just I'm a big fan of the program and it just works really well. So the other program that is kind of the competition, and for a while it was actually kind of a crapwear, but it is. It is cleaned up its act and it's actually become legitimate again. It's called mac Keeper, and so mac Keeper is now legitimate and it will do similar things for your computer. I have not tested mac Keeper as much as I have the Clean my Mac because that's what I have installed, is Clean my Mac. So I would look at those two programs, see which one you think works best for you. And that is my recommendation because I think one of those two will we'll do exactly what you need. Oh, look at that, you know what that sound means?
Speaker 2: It is the end of the show.
Speaker 1: That's gonna do it. For this episode of the rich on Tech podcast. If you would like to submit a question for me to answer, just go to my Facebook page Facebook dot com slash rich on tech, hit that big blue email button and send me your message. Alternatively, you can go to rich on Tech dot tv and right under my name, look in the role icons for the email icon. Hit that send your message, and I will do my best to answer it in a future podcast. Also, I would love it if you would rate and review this podcast. Go on Apple Podcasts or whatever podcasting app you use. Write a quick line about what you like about this show that will help others understand why they should listen. You can also go to rate this podcast dot com slash rich on tech. If you'd like a little assistance with that. You can find me on social media. My username across all social media I is rich on Tech.
Speaker 2: You see the theme here. No matter where you live in.
Speaker 1: The US, you can download the free ktla plus app on Apple, TV, fireTV, and Roku. Scroll down to the tech section and you can watch all of my TV segments on demand. TV is where I do my best work. That's where I Make my Living is TV, so be sure to watch those segments.
Speaker 2: They are a lot of fun.
Speaker 1: I try to pack a lot of information, useful information, into a short amount of time. My name is rich Demiro. Thanks so much for listening. I know there are so many ways you can spend an hour of your time. I do appreciate you spending it with me. As always, stay safe, I will talk to you real soon