Speaker 1: Looking for a mortgage bank to help you make your next major mortgage move, whether it's a refi or home purchase, regardless of whether it's your first one or one of many, consider our friends at Stockton Mortgage, but don't just take our word for it.
Speaker 2: Stockton Mortgage has over seventy thousand five star reviews and counting, just like this review from Joshua, who says this about his experience with Stockton. They were super professional, always answered my questions I had and streamlined the process. I could not ask for better people to help me and my family get our first house. I feel blessed to be able to go through them. Be like Joshua or the sixty nine nine hundred ninety nine others just like him, and get started with Stockton Mortgage today by going to Stockton dot com and get started. I've even used Stockton Mortgage myself on my own home loan. For your home loan needs, Stockton dot com and click get started. Stockton Mortgage MLS eight two five nine, Equal Housing Lender NMLS, Consumer Access dot Org.
Speaker 3: This is Kentucky Sports Radio presented by Stockton Mortgage. Now here's Matt Jones.
Speaker 4: Well, welcome everyone, It is Kentucky Sports Radio, Thursday, April the twenty fourth. I'm Matt Jones here in studio in Lexington. You can give us a shout on Actually hold off on calling until ten thirty because we're gonna have a guest here and so I don't want you to have to hold that whole time. So just hold off. Ryan, I see you're on there. You could just wait. If you want to wait, you can, but otherwise try back at ten thirty to a vision at Autoglass text machine is seven seven two seven four five two five four. In this ission sponsored by the TJ. Smith Office. You called TJ. I'll make them pay, Ryan Lemon, It's Brandon Garrison time, BG day. It's BG time, by the way, that's saying. I keep seeing it online. What am I missing? It's Brandon Garrison time. When when? When did they? Is that a thing? Oh, it's it's long been a thing.
Speaker 5: Uh. It's the kind of quote like it's Brandon Garrison time quoted by Brandon Garrison, like he's calling his.
Speaker 4: Own I know, but like did he say it one time? I think the internet just ran with it, you know.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 4: Brandon sometimes when he's in yes, I'm gonna shoot this and I'm gonna punch you in the face. And I think that combination is endeared even to.
Speaker 2: Fans, right, there's no doubt about it. And when he was all muscling up in the Oklahoma game, We're all like behind him like, yeah you go girl, Yeah you go it.
Speaker 4: I didn't say you going. I never said that. I don't think anybody went Shannon. Did you hear anybody say you go girl? Only? Right? I didn't hear anybody say that. But it is gonna be exciting. He's gonna come in here now. He's gonna be in here in like five minutes or seven minutes or something. So we're going to take an early break so that we can have as much time with him leading into ten thirty as well. So this chegment will be a chegment. This segment will be a little shorter than it normally is. All right, So Billy is sitting in here too, because I have good news and bad news. Oh okay, so let's start with Mario and Drew know this news. So let's start with Ryan. Would you like Shannon and Billy and Ryan do not? Would you like the good news or would you like the bed.
Speaker 2: I want to start my day with good news.
Speaker 4: Good news. Yes, let's hear good news. KSR has been invited to something that I don't even know what it is, but it is called the Barstool Bet Gala sponsored by DraftKings. Yes, in Scottsdale, Arizona, a black tie event that it's gonna be like the met Gala, but it's the bet Gala in Scottsdale, Arizona in just ten days. Oh wow, and KSR has been invited. That's the good news. Isn't that exciting? Yeah? Absolutely exciting. Ryan.
Speaker 2: I've never been to Scottsdale and heard everybody it's the most the most beautiful places in the in the country.
Speaker 4: Was you like the bad news?
Speaker 2: It's the bad news.
Speaker 4: You're still not going to Scottsdale. As soon as he started talking, Uh, only Drew and only Drew and me and Mario were going, I got you, So I'm going to give you a hug. Ryan. I could see on Shannon's face he kind of knew where this was going. Sorry, Ryan, I think even Billy knew. You didn't seem to know where that was going.
Speaker 2: No, I just hit me on the you know, last time I did a draft Kings event with you guys, do my house caught on fire, but maybe it's true.
Speaker 4: Guard that house that is the glass. You'll still have a house. That's good.
Speaker 2: It don't get displaced for two months. I'm living my bed.
Speaker 4: Uh so next a week a week from Monday, so we're flying actually a week from Sunday. We just found out about this yesterday. Wow, they're having this event. I do not know what it is. We're supposed to dress. Uh, it's black tie, but that doesn't mean a tuxedo necessarily. I think some of them are actually dressing goofy black tie encouraged the encouraged, but like, I'm not dressing goofy like. I think they're dressing like, you know, like purple Derby dumb and dumb kind of tuxes. I I don't want to be safe. They were like, you can just be safe and dress up, but I don't really have any I've got like business suits, so I'm gonna have to figure something out.
Speaker 2: I would suspect since this is a Draft Kings event, they'll have like a big name entertainer there.
Speaker 4: There are apparently it's it's like all the barstool personality.
Speaker 2: If you say Darius Rutger, I'm gonna hit you.
Speaker 4: Why would you hit me? I didn't decide who's going.
Speaker 2: To said I can't go to Scottsdale.
Speaker 4: Now, I didn't decide who could go. They decided who's going. Okay, but it's like athletes, yes, and then apparently a lot of TikTok influencers.
Speaker 2: I don't know any of them.
Speaker 4: Well, they read me a name of Shannon, like twenty of them. Yeah, I didn't know one. I knew one person on the list. It was like eighteen women, two men. I knew one person. You'll get to this was that girl from the from the fight. Do you remember that the girl that came out at the Sydney something. Yeah, yeah, Sydney something like. That's the only one I even knew. They were like, they were like, and these people are coming. I didn't know who any of those people were. So so so Drew and Mario and I had to get our flight yesterday. I'm trying to figure out what I'm gonna wear. I'm trying feel out if there a place in Lexington where you can like look like a million bucks or at least four hundred and thirty dollars. But Billy, Ryan, Shannon. I didn't know how to tell you all, so I thought telling you on the air would.
Speaker 7: Be that's fine, perfectly fine with.
Speaker 4: That, Shannon. I think you're fine. I would assume you're talking about Across's country flight to Scott's day two days.
Speaker 2: It's actually good news as far as.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I knew you wouldn't even want to go. I knew Shannon wouldn't care. I would feel like though, Billy, you and Ryan would like to go.
Speaker 2: You said it was a who's who's going to be there?
Speaker 4: And I'm not. I didn't say it was a who's who? Said it was. I said it was like it's speakers. They did say stars. I don't know why they want us to go. I really don't made.
Speaker 2: Him a lot of money.
Speaker 4: Okay, that talk dance, But I don't know why they want us to go to this. It's like a night of like they're gonna live stream it and people are betting, hence the bat Gala. But Scottsdale have you ever been? Actually?
Speaker 5: Uh, you know, I'm pretty well traveled, but Scottsdale and TPC Scottsdale are number one on my bucket list.
Speaker 4: Which and and this Billy I'm gonna do this with you two, but not here. I'm going to uh if you want Drew Bye for us to play around at would you like to do that? We'll do that Sunday afternoon. I looked at it. There's tea times. I feel like it would be a nice thank you, thank you twelfth birthday early thank you. Billy. I know you're a golfer. I don't want you to feel like I played golf last weekend. I don't want you. I don't want you to feel like you're not getting something. So in June, you and I will play the Royal and Ancient Tates Creek the story You're good, the TPC at Lakeside. You and I will go play and it'll be like it's the same thing. Okay, all right, I'll settle for that.
Speaker 2: Can Mario come because I'd love to get a couple of shots of us playing it.
Speaker 4: If Mario wants to come, Yeah, if Mario, If Mario, if Mario wants to come, that would be fine.
Speaker 3: By the way, is Billy on the female mic because he sounds very feminine talking into that microphone?
Speaker 4: Is that is that the female? Okay, let's your mic is not as good. Brandon Garrison was going to be on there. Rane'll switch because he's here. Okay, so you go get him, Shannon. Let's take an early break. Ryan. I'm sorry you don't get to go to Scottsdale. It would have been nice.
Speaker 5: He would have been the oldest person, that is, he would have killed it with his five dollars punting bets raft things.
Speaker 4: Would have loved that. You would have been good at the punt mats. Except there's no fun whatever, yeah or something like that. All right, we will take a break. Brandon Garrison will join us, will be right back. This cans here we go, Here we go, wunter' back. It is Kentucky Sports Radio, now joined in studio for the first time by our man UK returning player Brandon Garrison. How we doing everybody? Yes, Brandon? How are you all right? You gotta pull that microphone up so we can hear you there. Yes, go, you're doing well good? It is uh you know online everybody says it's Brandon Garrison time. Are you ready now for Brandon Garrison time?
Speaker 7: No, for sure.
Speaker 8: We're excited for this coming year, excited to return and ready for the fancy.
Speaker 7: So love again.
Speaker 4: Look at that look at the you got the chain and yeah, I mean like he's going, yeah, so Brandon, let's we don't have a ton of time with you, so I just want to go into it. Made the decision to come back, talk to me about why you did that. And you know nowadays people can go where they want. Made the decision to come back here. Uh no, for sure, I said, start with coach Pop. You know, just his loyalty, his two year plan that he talks about with me, and you know it's gonna be my What was this two year plan? Like, so when you recruit you initially said a two year plan.
Speaker 8: Yes, sir, when he first came out to my house for to visit, we talked about a two year plan, not like not rushing the process, I say, and just knowing who.
Speaker 7: I'mna be playing along with.
Speaker 8: Like he brung a marian and told me the process with him and I'm gonna get better with him, just in practice and overall.
Speaker 4: So you always considered this to be a two year process?
Speaker 8: Oh yes, Ever since he recruited me, that's the first thing he had brought up to me.
Speaker 4: So gotcha, Well that makes sense now, you you know last year, well, let's let's talk about last year and then we'll go into this year. Last year, one of the revelations to me was it you could shoot like from outside, Like there was a period you were leading the team in three point percentage? Has that always been a part of your game? And I feel like you feel like you got the freedom throw it up there.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I'll say I always been able to shoot, but I feel like Coach Pope helped me gain a confidence, I'll say, and just getting rests up in practice and after practice stuff like that. But you know, he told me, just as long as I shoot, I gotta hold my follow through and if it goes in or not, he's not tripping on it.
Speaker 4: A lot of times with big guys, especially big guys who've not been given that green light before, they do look timid about it. I never thought you looked timid about it. Is that something that like Mark Pope says, hey, you're open fire. Is that why you kind of have that confidence?
Speaker 7: Yeah? No, for sure.
Speaker 8: You know, he likes to get up a lot of three, so he allows one through five to shoot, but he says, as long as you own your shot, then he lets you shoot it and have the free will to shoot the three.
Speaker 4: He said at one of the postseason game one of the NCAA Tournament games, something like Brandon knows, like Brandon Garrison has the most confidence in himself even if he shouldn't, or something like that. What did you do? What did you think of that? Oh?
Speaker 8: Yeah, just you know, he helped me build that confidence. And I feel like you just gotta have confidence when you're out there on the floor, Like you can't overthink, and if you do, then stuff not gonna go your way. I'll say so just having a conference on the floor, I'll help you out.
Speaker 4: My favorite part of your game is that you are significantly better than I was at basketball. But you have that because if that weren't the case, you wouldn't be in here. But if you but you have like I don't want to say a temper, but you're not gonna take any anything from anybody. So you had the situation. We saw you go at it with other players, We saw you go at it with the crowd. You seem to, especially L's down against a little bit. You seem to especially there's something about Oklahoma that seems to get under your skin a little bit. Well, talk to me about that.
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, like everybody's seeing.
Speaker 8: I just feel like, you know, me, me being from there, going back home, you know, just excited to be there. Things got chippy, but I feel like it's just part of basketball. None just was intentionally dumb. But things got routy that game and we come out with the dove. So just a part of basketball.
Speaker 4: I mean they were o MARII Williams read you back back to the bench. I mean it was you got into it.
Speaker 8: Right, yeah, you know, just some words. Was you know, my temper was up? Wasn't really thinking do you have a temper? I'll say, like just not just like a bad temper, I say, but like on the court, you know, it's just you like to talk trash.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, I like to. I love that you talk trash. What does that like get you into the game?
Speaker 8: To do that, I'll say, it helps me like get going, you know, just it's just a part of the game. Like I don't even notice I do it sometimes always I noticed play.
Speaker 4: Yeah. So when you, uh, when you played that game at Oklahoma, I mean those those two Oka Ga Homa games were unbelievable, and of course Otaga played there. I mean, did that was just more juice in those games, both in the tournament and down there.
Speaker 8: Yeah, like I said, just me being from there, Otega used to play there, I feel like it just brung more juice. You know, Coach talked about it, you know how it was gonna be, and I just feel like we all knew how how the games go to or no than how the vibes and energy.
Speaker 7: Was gonna be.
Speaker 4: When you look back at last season, what are gonna be the things you know? When you're twenty five? Pope always talks about when you have grandkids, you're gonna talk about this. He says that all the time. What are gonna be the things you remember most about last year's season?
Speaker 9: Oh?
Speaker 8: Yeah, First, just the teammates I played with, how they taught me a lot of things, how we connected, and just you know our first year going making marsh Madness and going as deep as we did.
Speaker 7: So those are some of the mirrors some of the memory.
Speaker 4: What's your favorite game?
Speaker 7: I probably said Oklahoma game at Oklahoma?
Speaker 4: Yeah, well thanks, I think that's probably gonna be everybody, all right, You got Coln Chandler, Trentoah definitely coming back. Otega is probably comes back. We'll see what happens with the draft. But then you got all these new guys and we're having to learn who they are. What do you know about your teammates next year?
Speaker 8: Oh yeah, I don't know them all. You know, gonad to get used to them, reach out to him. It's tough, but closer telling me someone coming this weekend, so hopefully I can connect with them, you know, and just for like they put together group.
Speaker 4: Uh, it's deep, like there's a lot of dudes. I mean you just like you, but you you know, had to battle last year with themar you're gonna have. Uh, you got guys coming in next year, Diabate, we got the what's our what's our what's our? Croatian's name you always see Yeovich? Yeah, Yellovich? Are you Are you excited for that competition? Yeah?
Speaker 7: No, for sure.
Speaker 8: That's just one of the things Coach Pope talked to me about, just having more guys in practice to go against. You know, we didn't have that last year, so just having that this year, I for like make us all better.
Speaker 4: It's twelve guys. It's a deep run, do you. I mean, I'm sure as part of your decision making to come back, you set down with with Mark Pope. What did he say to you about this year's team and about what to expect.
Speaker 8: Yeah, first he just brought up I gotta uh get that leader role, you know, and just the group of guys he brings in, you know, just teaching my teams run around here, how the offense work, and just all the little things that we sat down and talked about.
Speaker 4: You're gonna be the old man now like it's you and O Tager are gonna be like as Mario would say, the unks on the team, right are you? Are you ready to embrace that role of you know, you're gonna be the grizzled veteran that talks about hey to get over here on campus?
Speaker 7: Is this et cetera. No, Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 8: You know it's just another role I got to step into, you know, since all the other guys says going, So I'm excited to step into the row.
Speaker 4: Do you all right? So let's talk for a second about Mark Pope. All right, So when I see Mark Pope, I think he's you tell me if these are all adjectives that are correct. He seems like really smart? Is he really smart?
Speaker 7: Yeah? For sure?
Speaker 8: Just like yesterday we had a little meeting that he was just saying big words.
Speaker 7: I didn't really understand.
Speaker 4: You remember one of those words.
Speaker 7: I really don't know how to pronounce myself.
Speaker 4: Beautiful, incredible. He says beautiful a lot. Do you ever go look at him and go, hey man, not everything could be beautiful?
Speaker 7: Yeah, but it's just a part of him. I just kind of got used to it. And yeah.
Speaker 4: So he also seems like a guy who has a basketball answer for everything. I mean, do you get that sense like every situation he's always got something new coming up?
Speaker 7: Yeah? No, for sure.
Speaker 8: Just I feel like just him being a coach and him playing basketball all his life is just a part of, you know, his nature.
Speaker 4: I love him and we're close to the same age and so, and I can say this because I resemble it. He also seems like he's a little bit goofy and a little I wanna say dorky, but maybe a little bit. Is that is that fair to say?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 8: Yeah, I say goofy for sure. Just I feel like that's just a part of him too, and it just brings out his personality.
Speaker 4: Does it make you all laugh, like when he does goofy stuff like that?
Speaker 7: Oh yeah?
Speaker 8: Or at least all the guys you used to have him make jos. I don't know if it should make him feel good or what.
Speaker 4: But oh so can Is he the kind of guy you can give a hard time too?
Speaker 8: Oh yeah, yeah, for sure. You know he can take it, you know, because he he gives us a hard time. So I feel like this past year we gave him a lot of hard times just in practice, you know, film or just seeing them around walking around.
Speaker 4: What team you know, for us, like Louisville Tennessee tend to be the teams that we rival with the most. Is there one team where you're like, I'm not gonna say you hate them, but you're like, we've got to beat them. Besides Oklahoma because obviously that was one.
Speaker 8: I probably say Louisville just because of big rivalry, you know, and I it'd always been around here, so I probably.
Speaker 4: Say, could you feel that like when you played Louisville? I mean, we want that game more than anybody. For you, it's just another team, But could you feel that like everybody's like you gotta win this game?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 8: No, for sure, you know, just since I got here, that's the first team they talked about, like they wiped all the other teams. They just say I gotta beat Louisville, and Tennessee was one of them. So just when we came up on that game, I just felt the energy, you know, the vibes and how much it meant to win for the fans.
Speaker 4: And next year those might be two preseason top five teams because they've got a great life and you're gonna play there.
Speaker 7: Yep.
Speaker 4: Do you have El'stown ready for the Young Cinner? I mean I know that. Don't look at Dab over here. Just look at me, like, do you have the Do you have the like El's Down ready for when we go to the Young Center?
Speaker 8: Oh yeah, not for sure. You know it's it's always El's Down. I say so, no matter where we are, I'm.
Speaker 4: Always always L's Down. All right. We always like to ask people who've been here, what's your favorite spot to eat at in Lexington?
Speaker 7: Like just quick Mill or like whatever?
Speaker 4: Like what if you if if I'm saying to you, we got you got somebody coming in town, You're like, I'm gonna take you two restaurants?
Speaker 7: Where you going Jeff Ruby's for sure and probably my loans.
Speaker 4: So you you like that, you like to dress up and get the steak thing right.
Speaker 8: I wouldn't say, like I'll dress up to go there, but like, I like their food is very What about something quick? What about like I gotta go out?
Speaker 10: You where you're going probably hit up Keyne's or Chipotle for sure, so you're you're kind of your check Kane Chipotle? All right, I let Ryan Lemon ask one question.
Speaker 2: Go for it, Ryan, I'm gonna ask you off the court stuff I'm I was always said, one of the greatest thrills in life is to be a dad. I'm the only dad here in the group. What's it like for you being a young dad? Have to juggle college, juggle playing? And what's your favorite thing to do with your kid?
Speaker 7: Oh?
Speaker 8: Yeah, just me becoming the dat I feel like its mature me. I say, helped me grow up faster, you know, and just being around him it's just always brings me joy. But favorite thing to do with him, I say, is probably tell him to the part because he likes to run around a lot. Like yesterday it was great weather here, so he took him to the point.
Speaker 4: How old is he? One and a half one and a half. What's his name?
Speaker 7: Cary A?
Speaker 4: Cory O car O car Yeah, he was up at the Oklahoma game when he broke out. That was a big part of it when you were trying to like show out a little bit.
Speaker 7: Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 8: You know when he's there, just I feel like I'm just playing for him. So just doing it all for him.
Speaker 4: I said, well, I have to tell you, I mean, you were a ton of fun to watch this season. I think the thing that I like the most about is the joy that you play with and the excitement that you play with. I'm sure when you came here you heard tell me what you heard about Kentucky basketball and now that you've experienced for a year. When someone asked Brandon Garrison, what is Kentucky basketball like, what would you say?
Speaker 7: Oh?
Speaker 8: Yeah, just what I what I first heard was, you know, just a piss where all the games sold out, Kentucky fans go ask for pictures wherever you go.
Speaker 4: You know, is that annoying because you can't hide because you're tall.
Speaker 8: I want to say it's annoying, but like sometimes it can get like but what I tell like somebody who asked me, it's just like they show a lot of love. You know, every game will be sold out and they're diehard fans out here, So just take advantage of it and meet as many people as you can.
Speaker 4: You, I mean a lot of people don't realize, no offense to where you came from. There's a lot of schools that don't get the crowds. When you know that every time you run out there, that arena is gonna be full. What's that like is a player?
Speaker 7: It's just special.
Speaker 8: I feel like it just makes you want to get out there more, you know, and just excited for the game, you know, because I came from a crow where it wasn't like that, and some games could like, uh, you know, you got to have your own energy. But I feel like just having the stands packed out they bring energy for you. So you ready, right we step out on the floor.
Speaker 4: You feel like, you know, one of the dudes you played against could be the number one pick. You feel like you could take Cooper Flag, Like if it's one on one, you know, you think you think you got even if it happens, I might go first in the draft.
Speaker 8: No, yeah, for sure, I say I could take it one a moy I go sa I'm gonna lose to anybody, but yeah.
Speaker 4: That's good. You know we were in Seattle with that comeback against Gonzaga. That's my favorite win of the year. Kentucky fans packed Seattle, packed it Land up for dude, go on the road. What's it like in all those environments to just see big Blue Nation everywhere?
Speaker 8: You know for sure just seeing them out there because I didn't know like they, uh we travel all the way to Atlanta, Seattle stuff, but just send him out there.
Speaker 7: I helped.
Speaker 8: I feel like they helped us get that dub out there, both in Atlanta Seattle.
Speaker 4: So what's great having you. Good luck on next year. I'm sure we'll talk to you again. Let me know where I can get that necklace because I gotta step up my my fashion game. Brandon Garrison, thank you very much, appreciate at the time. We'll take a break right back. This is a KSR.
Speaker 7: TJ.
Speaker 4: Smith, personal injury attorney called TJ.
Speaker 1: He'll make them.
Speaker 3: Pay now more of Kentucky Sports Radio presented by Stockton Mortgage.
Speaker 4: Here's Matt Jones walking back. It is Kentucky Sports Radio. Nice job by Brandon Garrison. Thank you to him for coming on. I thought he did a great job. Brian, I actually thought he killed it.
Speaker 2: It's so much better when you get these guys off the court and he doesn't have to be superstar brand and he's Beg Brandon. You don't get mcno him as a guy. And I thought he did a job.
Speaker 4: It's hard, you know, it's hard to lot some of these guys, like it's not the easiest to get him to talk. But I thought he opened up and did really well and now ready for a year two. I think I love that he just plays with his temper just out you know. I think that's the only time I see the UK people getting nervous when you talk about that, Like that's what I love about him, Like that's what he does, you know.
Speaker 5: Yeah, dab over in the corner, we're talking about the l's down in Oklahoma and all that. I could here get a little red. You know, they're media trained to not say that, and let's be honest, a lot of these don't go well. The guys don't like to talk. He was great even off the air, very friendly.
Speaker 4: Thinking of something. When you're talking about places to eat with Mario, yeah, great, great person, always knows places I don't know exists, Like he's talking about some Jamaican place that like, how do you know all these places?
Speaker 2: Like I.
Speaker 4: You know, you just there's like a like there's like a he just has a way of knowing all this stuff. In the moment you said it, he knew it. Brandon knew it too. Just unbelievable. One person writes, you can open up the phone. Say if I'm nine two eight oh twenty two eighty seven, Shannon will open it up. One person writes, Matt, I think they would have invited Billy if he was nicer to people, and Ryan, if he was more consistent.
Speaker 2: Well maybe fair. My heart did break more for Billy than me. And you said you're gonna play a TPC saw Grass, I could just see Gottsdale.
Speaker 4: Those are different. Yeah, we played at TPC saw Grass.
Speaker 2: At the Gator Ball, Yeah that's right.
Speaker 4: You got Did you play? Did you know?
Speaker 6: I did not?
Speaker 4: I did not get to go to the Gator bawl okay. So uh so, yeah we've played a couple of those, but I don't worry. I'll play with Billy.
Speaker 5: So at some point Billy plays Valhalla just regularly so he gets to see some good golf courses.
Speaker 2: Uh didn't we do? We did a show there. Did we tpc saw grass that morning that we did elsewhere?
Speaker 4: Because Mark stoops and then we're playing Mitch played golf there, I think as well. So yeah, eight five, nine, twenty two eighty seven. Let's talk for a second, since Brandon was here about this whole uh portal situation. Okay, So the portal rankings, they're kind of all over the place for Kentucky. We've seen people rank Kentucky going into next year as high as like number three. ESPN has his number two, John Rostein has at like thirteen, and then there's still a lot of chatter about this twenty million dollar number. I think I'm gonna end up on an island of saying that the twenty million is not correct, But I still feel confident on my island. Okay. Jeff Goodman came out yesterday said he thinks it's seventeen to twenty. Now I will note seventeen is not twenty, but he's like it could be up to twenty two. I'm very much still it's significantly less than that. But that gets me to a bigger question, which is do you care how much it is? Meaning like, if it's seventeen twelve twenty two. Does it matter to you? Does it factor in at all how you consider expectations or the team or anything like that?
Speaker 2: Doesn't factor for me one ounce. Nothing. I mean, as long as we've got the money there, then we can compete with other teams under we got to buy some money. Absolutely, I don't care how much we gotta spend.
Speaker 4: Does it change, though, what you expect of the team in the season.
Speaker 2: No, maybe I'm weird that way, but no, what about you, I don't care.
Speaker 5: I mean, if they were the twenty fifth ranked team with money, PEP would be critical of a Why I can't Kentucky? You four better players, aren't you Kentucky? Where's your money? So I think it's better to be spending the most than not. I will say it raises my bar a little bit for expectations, like if you are spending the most, not not really big, but like there is like okay.
Speaker 4: But that's weird because you're always the guy that's like, it's not my money.
Speaker 5: Well, I know I'm not saying they got to win the title, but I mean, like last year, whatever they finished in the SEC, you need to be in contention in the SEC.
Speaker 4: If you spent twenty million dollars.
Speaker 5: Now again, when the game start, I will not think about nil again. But I do think going into the year, if you have one of the most expensive rosters, it should be one of the better rosters.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I understand what you're saying. I think it's very important. Like there's going to come a time I'm here very soon where we're gonna know what the schools are paying these guys, sure, because it's going to be publicly released records as part of the revs here, but we don't know yet. So right now we have no real idea. I think they're as I said, I think this money it's all agents saying the money. I had an agent contact me yesterday and say it is twenty million dollars and I said to them, I love you, but of course you're going to say that. And I said well, and he was like, I'm just telling you it is. And I said, okay, I'm not saying you're wrong, but I feel more confident that it's not than it is. But I do wonder if it's going to matter to people, because, like think about Mark Stoops, people always bring up what he makes. Right. They did the same thing with cal like we're going to pay you ten million dollars, and and that was money coming officially from the school. This is money coming from club and Club Blue and donors. I just wonder if you're gonna put a burden on the team by saying it's a quote unquote twenty million dollar team.
Speaker 2: Okay, I gotta ask you a question, because this was asking me yesterday. I thought it was a great question. I'm just gonna use Jaden Quainton's as an example. Okay, what if they've promised him one point five for two years, so it's three years, and that Fick factors into the twenty million dollar total.
Speaker 7: Are we thinking that's plausible?
Speaker 4: Okay, that's a very good point. Maybe people are saying twenty million, but they're taking an overall multiple year thing. Maybe that's what they did with Malachi Moreno, yes, maybe that's what they did. I don't know if Jasper Johnson would definitely agree to two years when he could go to the draft.
Speaker 2: But yeah, maybe that's where the high twenty million dollar is not coming from.
Speaker 4: You know what, that's very plausible. I don't know. I just know that what they are paying for this year's team, I do not believe is that amount of I do believe though they're gonna have either the highest or the second or highest, it's gonna be us or BYU that spends the most money.
Speaker 2: And I think you know you ask us if it matters.
Speaker 4: To b why you spending most of their money on one kid?
Speaker 2: You said you ask if it matters to us. I think it matters to most fans to know that we're among the top in the SEC. We don't want to be married by.
Speaker 4: The tree like I think, if we didn't spend the money, people will go, well, are we going cheap? Do we not care? Let's be honest.
Speaker 5: The people talking about this, the national people, the goodmans, they don't really know what to do because some of them are trying to be critical of not having money. But if we didn't have the money, they'd say, Kentucky's gonna fall behind. I think they're all confused on how to handle this.
Speaker 4: I think you're right. I think you're right. I also we heard Pope can't recruit.
Speaker 5: He's with and with and now it's he has too many people, Kentucky spent too much money?
Speaker 4: Well, which which is it? Now? I don't know if this is true. I think we're gonna find out in the coming days. But I heard you the SEC was going to go in together and say, okay, of this twenty two million dollars you can share, we all as a conference agree to do seventy percent football, fifteen percent basketball, ten percent women's like whatever. I don't know what the numbers were, and that the goal was we're all going to do the same thing. I've heard that fell fell apart, and now every school gets to decide.
Speaker 7: Wow.
Speaker 4: So here's my question is Kentucky fans, if you're in charge, what do you decide? Are you? Okay, here's the decision. Let's say it's twenty million dollars. Let's just make it a round number. You can spend in theory, all twenty million on football. You could spend seventeen on football, three on basketball. You could spend ten on basketball and spend more than anyone in the league. But also remember like Saint John's could spend all twenty of theirs on basketball because they don't even have a football team. What are you gonna do? You're Mitch Barnhart, what are you doing? What are you spending the money on?
Speaker 5: This is where I think Kentucky's in a bad spot because every other SEC team is football first, and fans won't have an issue with just loading up on football because that's the way they've been for a century up until fairly recently. Like Alabama, I think we'll take a little dip in basketball because the don't want football to still reign supreme. But we've been basketball first for so long. You just can't throw a football aside because they need so much money, they raise so much money, you can't just let football die.
Speaker 4: And then you have baseball, which a lot of these women's they care about women's basketball. Like Kentucky, we want to be good at everything.
Speaker 7: So what do we do?
Speaker 4: I don't know the answer to that question. I really don't know what they can do that will please everyone.
Speaker 2: And knowing Mitch Barnhart the way we do, he's so emphatic about improving all of the sports, not just one. He will disperse it what he thinks is as even as possible. I believe he won't.
Speaker 4: You can't lose basketball, cannot cannot And I don't know what they're gonna do. What if we find out Louisville spending forty percent of theirs on basketball, and we're spending fifteen A.
Speaker 2: Lot of people be mad about That'll be riot, You'll be right.
Speaker 4: So I think it's going I think it is going to be a very tough decision coming Italian Stallion. Go ahead on, come go ahead? Who are.
Speaker 9: Hey?
Speaker 11: I'm a longtime post game show listener, but I really enjoyed y'all's topic yesterday about the all time cow Players draft. Me and my buddies did the draft of our own after listening to y'all's, and I wanted to call in and express my gripe that I had with Shannon taking Devin Booker fifth. Overall. I would argue that Devin Booker is not a top five shooting guard of the Calira. I think you go Murray Monk Definitive one and two, Ryan Lamb three, and then I'd take Reeves and Dillingham over and I'll hang up and listen to what do you think?
Speaker 4: I actually there were two picks that I severely questioned. One was Booker, yeah, and honestly the other one was Tigue. Both of them were your picks.
Speaker 3: Well was first of all that I wasn't prepared because I didn't know we were doing this the second part was, I don't think I heard you when you said it's how they performed at Kentucky. So I'm just taking just best players as how I perceived them.
Speaker 4: I think if you look at everyone's teams and you said which one would be the best in the NBA, you would win. Yeah, because you had the best, because you had Towns, Booker and SGA.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I was just thinking big picture overall best players in the calaria.
Speaker 4: I think if you took so a guy, did you see a guy computer simulated our team.
Speaker 2: No, I didn't see it.
Speaker 4: A guy computer simulated our team really and mine one, but I went to and one, Shannon went to and one. But I beat Shannon. Drew went one and two, and you went one and two. But the games were all close. They actually had us all being pretty close.
Speaker 2: Well, I know I got a lot of flak online about my team, but I'm thinking I got the National Defensive Player of the year, Garden. You're big guys. Everybody thought I didn't have a good big guy. I got the best power forward. I got one of the top three point guards shooting guard.
Speaker 4: Your team kind of stuff.
Speaker 5: I'm a fourteen and a half point favorite against your team.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Covery, this was real. It's me and Drew playing for the national title. It's basically my athletes versus his tough guys and shooters, and it's a battle. Wins the third place game and you cried no stop overpaying for sunglasses and check out Shady Race. Shady Rays, an independent American old company started right here Kentucky. Premium polarized shades, running, fishing, biking, golfing. It's all at Shady Race. They have the best protection program in the industry and premium polarized shades for you. Go check it out. It's Shady rays dot com. Available also in the new UK blue and White collection at shady rays dot Com. We'll take a break, very backs can suck. Welcome back Tucky Sports Radio. Biggest snub yesterday. Neurlin's was our biggest snub, no doubt by far. But Oscar went in the last round, right, So like Oscar going the last round, we just have had so many good bigs. Nerlin's the biggest snub. Nick Richards was a big snub. Cason Wallace didn't even come up. Yeah, Cason Wallace was really good. Tie Tie was really good here didn't even come up, didn't come up, didn't even enter my mind. We're jilling him. Yeah, we mentioned him as a snub, but like, he didn't come up.
Speaker 2: Didn't even come up. We mentioned Keldon Johnson after the draft, he didn't come up during the draft.
Speaker 4: And even dudes like Nate Cestina never entered our minds, right, you know. So it's just interesting. I'm interested to see what people would think. Here's what I'd like you to do. Seven seven two seven seven four five two five four. I want you to on the text machine write me and say you have one hundred percent. Forget about the amount of money, one hundred percent. What percent are you giving to football, basketball, women's basketball, baseball. That's gonna be the four that get the money, right, What are you given each percentage? If you're the a D I'd like to see what people say. Now here's the The SEC had proposed seventy football, fifteen basketball, ten women's bass. Excuse me, yeah, ten women's basketball, five baseball. That's what they had proposed. What would you do if you were in charge?
Speaker 2: I mean, you got to give most of it to football. I would probably maybe, Well, I.
Speaker 4: Want to see what they say, Yeah, all right, Well and then we'll go through it.
Speaker 6: Ryan, Go ahead, Ryan, Matt, I just wanted to tell you I'm about to embark on what would probably be your nightmare vacations.
Speaker 4: What is that.
Speaker 6: I'm gonna be playing pickleball and Pigeon Forge.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't want to, that's honestly. There's a clip shot and I want I want you to find and make sure there's no cuss words. But it's Judy jim Stone talking about children. Okay, see if you can find that, make sure there's no cussing and four hours see okay, think about that pickleball in Pigeon Forge with toddlers. Go ahead and put me in the grave. Now that would be awful. Like the only thing works would be if you're going to Myrtle Beach.
Speaker 6: Matt Cooy, You don't you don't want to return to serve, clean up a little vomit and then play a little minute or no, or go to the outlets?
Speaker 4: No, thank you, God, bless you, sir. I wish you the best. I appreciate the call. I want you to hear that because this is how I feel. Almost did one of those videos where people like just use their mouth and they like just act like they're saying it. Let me think to this when he finds it, because that's how I feel. Go ahead, Bob, good morning.
Speaker 9: When you're rope trip Discutsdale, A great trip. You see Kimmel Black Mountain and Dizzy Dean was his home.
Speaker 4: Will not see Dizzy Dean's home. But I am excited to go, you know, Bob. They say the most beauty you know, full people in the country are in Scottsdale, and now we're going to be there.
Speaker 9: To fit in. Well a world serious. Back in the late eighties, we were there at Scottsdale and they just opened the Phoenician three eighteen whole golf courses.
Speaker 4: Well, there's a.
Speaker 9: Star place, so take your golf clubs. And there's a story with the Phoenician. But I'm sure you don't want to hear it.
Speaker 4: That's okay, Bob. It's good to hear from you. I hope you're doing well. I haven't heard from Meanwhile, you're doing good.
Speaker 7: Well.
Speaker 9: I'm going to turn ninety two this year.
Speaker 4: Nice rock star, Bobby. If i'm I'm halfway there, so I hope I can meet you one day.
Speaker 9: All right, Well, you go after hurry because I'm going to turn in for another ninety.
Speaker 4: Thank you very much, Bob. I like Bob ninety two, still going. And he talks about Dizzy Dean. Yeah, I like the name Dizzy d Are you have that, Shannon.
Speaker 7: No, I can't find it.
Speaker 4: You can't find Judy Jimstone talking about children.
Speaker 2: I don't know if Judy jims don't ever say anything when she didn't cuss?
Speaker 3: Did she?
Speaker 4: I don't think she cusses in this all right, I'll play all right, well, Dennis and Richmond, go ahead, Dennis.
Speaker 6: Football fan, Then you have to donate seventy percent, like sec says, if you're gonna stay competitive. Actually my call was about complaining about this budget for the basketball this year. This is a problem with Kentucky football.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 6: For years, this is the program here, and the fans have not wanted to give their football program as I have the basketball program. So there's no way. If Mark Polpe does not win a national championship this upcoming season with ben number one with a budget, then he should.
Speaker 7: Be ripped.
Speaker 4: A right. Hang on, who had the biggest budget last year in basketball?
Speaker 6: Uh?
Speaker 4: You know, you don't know, and you don't know who had the second biggest budget and you don't know who had the third biggest budget, and you don't know who had the fourth biggest budget. My point is not to say you should know or not know. My point is to say when the game start, nobody remembers any of that. The answers to my questions, by the way, like the biggest budgets last year were like Kansas State, Arkansas had one of the biggest budgets, and none of those gems Indiana, none of those teams even contended for a title. So I don't think just having the biggest, biggest budget, sir, is gonna like guarantee anything in college basketball.
Speaker 6: But you know, how, how can anyone you don't hear? How can anythan.
Speaker 7: Uh up?
Speaker 6: Mark uh Mark stops when when I know his budget wasn't number one in the answer secret fo Okay.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but hang on, hang on. I love Mark Stoops and I'm not ripping him, But don't you think we had a bigger budget than Vandy?
Speaker 6: I agree, yes, he should have beat Vandy exactly.
Speaker 4: So when people criticizing for beating from the losing to Vandy or losing by thirty to Louisville or losing by thirty to South Carolina. Those are reasonable criticisms, right, Like, I agree with you. You can't expect Mark Stoops to beat Alabama, Georgia, et cetera. But you can expect them to beat Vandy.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I agree, But I mean, but seventy if they If they're proposing seventy percent of football, then Kentucky has to do seventy percent of football.
Speaker 4: Even that's a fair point. If you agree, let me know, we'll take a break. Bart Back's Kazar