Speaker 1: Are you leave the I you wanna way back home? Either way, we want to be there.
Speaker 2: Doesn't matter how much baggage you claim and give us time and a terminol and gage.
Speaker 3: We want to send you off instile.
Speaker 4: We wanna welcome you back home.
Speaker 2: Tell us all about it. We scared her?
Speaker 1: Was it fine?
Speaker 5: Malborn? Do you need to ride?
Speaker 2: Do you need to ride?
Speaker 1: Do you need to ride?
Speaker 2: Do you need to ride? Do you need to ride?
Speaker 3: Do your need to ride.
Speaker 4: With Karen and Chris welcome to Do you need a ride? This is Chris.
Speaker 1: Fairbanks, yes, and this is Karen Tilgareff.
Speaker 4: And I like, I appreciate you pausing before your name just to make it sound like I didn't do a weird.
Speaker 2: Pause, Matchie. This is how we do it, NATCHI, matchie.
Speaker 4: We are both wearing the same shirt and same little Donald Duck sea hat.
Speaker 2: That is true. We could lie and say anything to these people about what we're wearing, what we're looking at.
Speaker 1: They have to trust us.
Speaker 4: No, we've been lying, is what Karen meant to say. We dress the same every episode, and just don't talk about how I am pantiless with a sailor suit. I have a Donald duck hat with a baby blue sash. Yeah, and uh, Karen, whar's the same.
Speaker 2: I feel compelled to show support because Chris has a lot of hate.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm really going out on a limb, especially with the no pants choice. Yeah, but if Donald Duck can do it, I've always said.
Speaker 2: You've always said, if a fictional Duck from the thirties can do it, why can't I.
Speaker 4: Donald, You're a veteran of the navy, put on some pants. I've changed my mind. I just realized how ridiculous it is. What kind of a message is that?
Speaker 1: What level do you think he got to in the Navy?
Speaker 2: Do you think he was like a you know, like I was gonna say colonel, But I don't think that's a boat senior staff member, right.
Speaker 4: I just think he castin kind of a yes man, a grunt. Yeah, that was wanting to express himself.
Speaker 2: He was like the radar O'Reilly just having to kind of more serve than lead.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's because I'm trying really hard to figure out. I don't think I know anything about Donald Duck's personality.
Speaker 2: Oh, he gets frustrated very easily. I do relate to Donald Duck. You can't understand a fucking word he saying.
Speaker 4: Ever, he's mad about a speech impediment.
Speaker 1: He's very frustrated with a speech impediment. And then with who.
Speaker 2: Makes his life hell? Because it's very hard. Right now, that's a Disney thing. But then there's the Warner Brothers gang. Much easier to talk about, right, Porky Pig or bugs Bunny. I know them better.
Speaker 4: It's very strange that I don't know anything about Donald Duck. I'm really trying hard.
Speaker 2: You mean, like just digging up any of his the canon information about Donald.
Speaker 4: Yeah, his friends, it's family, this single storyline. But I have his outfit, Yeah, you have every morning I lay it out like a flat person on my bed.
Speaker 2: His girlfriend's name is Daisy.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, Daisy Duke. Sorry, duck Duck. Yeah, because that's a type of denim short.
Speaker 2: That what you just said there, Daisy Duke, Sorry, Daisy Duck is the only time you've ever sounded like a skateboarder to me. And that was so skateboardery of you, the way, Jay z D.
Speaker 4: Sorry, sorry Daisy Duck Duck. But a skateboarder from a eighties movie where their skateboarders only stop skating to spray paint rad on a wall.
Speaker 1: Or talk about Disney Carton.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because there are always some level of high Yes, do you think donald Like they're laying against the ramp. One of them has dreads. They both have a you know they do no research. No, they can't and by day I mean wardrobe.
Speaker 1: They can't.
Speaker 2: They have an abusive stepfather, so they can't hang around long enough to look anything up.
Speaker 4: It's funny because I brought myself to watch Gleaming the Cube, the only main stream blockbuster because it had Christian Slater in it that was about skateboarding, had skateboarders in it, Tony Hawk was in it, and it holds up. It's a good action movie. I caught up in the story he was he hadn't adopted brother. They talked and it was the Asian mafia situation and they went deep into that. It was It's all what I forgot about because I was waiting for the sweet, sweet skate footage.
Speaker 2: Can I ask, how does a skateboarder who I assume is a high schooler get caught up in the Asian mafia or not?
Speaker 4: He fancied a girl at school and started dating like a preppy.
Speaker 1: Wait, does the British movie.
Speaker 4: It is heed He fancied Alast Yes, yes, and to impress her he quit skating and his hair and then you know what, I kind of don't remember. Yes for real, I think he was going to church too. Yes, very strict family anyone. But he liked her. But he also was trying to figure out why his his uh step brother was murdered and they were dating, so he kind of was started dating. I'm just now realizing it's coming to me. He started dating his his deceased brother's girlfriend to get closer figure out why he got murdered. And boy does he find out?
Speaker 2: Does he?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 1: He gets all the way on there and what was it?
Speaker 2: Drugs?
Speaker 4: It drugs were involved? Bull Saw video was involved. I only know because every time I draw drive by the Bolsa exit, I think I'm bull Saw Video. I think I'm pronouncing it like it was in the movie.
Speaker 1: Can you spell it bol s A oh Bolsa Oh? Yeah, okay, I've never I've never heard.
Speaker 4: It's just it's one of those many like when I drive by Delon Pray Street, I think at Delon Prey Dan and from mister ch Oh. There's just certain words that you see were grabbed from a sign as the screenwriter was driving.
Speaker 1: Absolutely all around this town.
Speaker 4: Yes, for sure, and uh anyway, it ends, of course with a man kidnapping the girl. He has a gun, and of course Christian Slater goes under a semi doesn't all a free Oh he does, he ali, he grabs front side, and then they have another shot where he's suddenly grabbing backside into the air and knocks the gun out of the man's hand. And it was laughable back then, but still it's enjoyable.
Speaker 1: Could you switch from front side to backside like that in the air?
Speaker 4: I mean it's not likely. Maybe on a snowboard, I can't let go of the board. And then with the other hand, I suppose people do it.
Speaker 1: People do it with bikes.
Speaker 4: They do. You're right.
Speaker 2: I've watched so much trick bike footage because that was one of the main things that Pete shop for your TV channel.
Speaker 4: Oh more bmxdent scape.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, just just like these children get paid to travel the world and ride their fucking bike.
Speaker 4: I know, and they do jealous, but there is keep it rest easy, knowing there's no retirement plan.
Speaker 2: Oh well, you have to start your own pho and kay and get real smart about that.
Speaker 4: Ye some guys do it, other guys don't.
Speaker 2: Other guys don't. And the oh look at the bignyer truck. Look at that. Hey, how's your new sweet tooth feel?
Speaker 4: Do you care about bign I think it's luck but we could try and open it.
Speaker 2: On the other side.
Speaker 4: Oh, it's a food truck. I thought it was a delivery vehicle. I mean it seems like a powdered Uh what is aigne?
Speaker 2: It is exactly what you're thinking of, like a It's almost like a croissant with less folds and it's like a square and they put so much powdered sugar on it.
Speaker 4: Is it like filo dough?
Speaker 1: It is more Uh, it's more donut.
Speaker 4: Ye Oh, I think I've had one. It's they're nuts in it. No, but there's definitely powdered sugar. As the photo.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think you're thinking of the Mediterranean dessert.
Speaker 4: Yeah, baklava. I love.
Speaker 1: This is more of like basically a French donut.
Speaker 2: So there's I guess the reason I said croissant is because it's real airy and fluffy, right, But it's like a light it's a croissant donut.
Speaker 4: Maybe on the way back I will be starving.
Speaker 2: I mean we could also just get coffee and go to a place where we can get all those things and more.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, this is our solo episode.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we can fill it up with little kinds of fucking errands. That's why I got excited about the benetra.
Speaker 4: In the back of my head, it is a little worried about my brain because I couldn't remember whose stick today's guest was.
Speaker 2: It's me.
Speaker 4: Well, thank you for having thank you for coming and for having me.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's how it works.
Speaker 4: I drove back from Big Bear today and I there was a person tailgating me down that windy road. Now, people that live up in the mountains, they are tired of going up and down that windy road, and they don't have time for someone unfamiliar with the turns to go cautiously sure honking. There was a truck in front of me too, there was nowhere for me to go, laying on the horn. And I looked back and it was a little old lady with gray hair flipping me off while weighing on the horn.
Speaker 1: What did she want you to do?
Speaker 4: I knew what she didn't want me to do, and that is basically slam on the brakes, which you did it. I'm afraid I did it. I'm not proud of it. I came to almost a complete stop, and then I'd go a little further, she'd land the horn more, I would come to a stop again. I if she did hit my car, she would be in the wrong. I also wanted to make her nerve. I'm not proud of this behavior. I'm just saying it. I think that our fans support my unhinged dad and think. And then I started flipping her off. This is a little old lady with gray hair, by the way. But then I thought, what if she's saying a rush she U it has to go to the hospital. She feels palpitation. She I pulled over. Finally she flipped me off again, as did the little old lady in the past her seat. And then they proceeded to honk the person and that was in front of me. They were just unhinged. I wouldn't you're on her side. No, no, no, I can tell you're on her side.
Speaker 2: Well, I like to Devil's advocate because you start stories like that in the middle and then I'm like, what was the.
Speaker 4: In It's good storytelling. It's like Christopher Nolan, Yeah, I started in the middle, arguable, Yes.
Speaker 2: Did you when she first started honking? It was it totally out of the blue.
Speaker 4: I start going faster, and then I'm like, this is getting dangerous. I can't go as fast as this this person wants me to go. That's when I saw some old lady flipping me off, and I'm like, maybe she doesn't see that. I'm tailgating a truck in front of me. Windy road. There's rocks, there's patches of ice. We're up in the mountains. It was there are two types of people that moved to these mountain communities. Those who enjoy nature I suppose or want to be skiers, and those who are unhinged and can't deal with society. Yes, and or have murdered and they're like, I gotta get a cabin.
Speaker 1: They're doing a hideout.
Speaker 4: I keep killing people in the city. I don't know which, but this didn't seem like an outdoors outdoorsy lady Grandma murders.
Speaker 2: It could have absolutely been a serial killing team.
Speaker 4: They were the Golden Girls of Golden State Killers. They were they were. I don't know. I have so many questions, but I let them go. I decided not to follow them one.
Speaker 2: You have decided to stop trying to teach them a lesson by getting them to rerend you.
Speaker 4: Now, I know you and I both have started following people that have upset us on the road. And then and then we're like, what are we doing? What are we going to do when we catch up to this person.
Speaker 1: I've never done that.
Speaker 4: I know you've waited. You've told me how you've waited outside at homes, and I'm like, your secret safe with me, I've said, and then I've shared with you how I've done the same.
Speaker 1: I just like our Donald Dug outfits same same.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah, I thought that maybe I had something on the roof of my car. I thought maybe she was warning me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what I was thinking, Like, there's gotta be a reason.
Speaker 4: She was just really angry.
Speaker 2: She was furious. Could she could she have been also snowboarding that day and maybe you cut her off at the old ski lift or something.
Speaker 4: I thought of it. I thought maybe I thought I couldn't figure it out. And the cars behind her also were bad at me, and they were going so fast. I was driving like a normal person, certainly above the speed limit, but downhill a mountain road, I'm not gonna push the pedal to the metal.
Speaker 2: Well, also, you can't if there's a truck in front it, you can only go.
Speaker 1: I'm on.
Speaker 4: And everything I've described is I'm not bending any details. Okay, Yes, it was a bizarre behavior. And I have a fear of getting you in tailgated, and especially by a senior. Oh my god, what an embarrassing story. No one's going to be on your side.
Speaker 2: And someone's grandma shot me in the face because I would not accelerate.
Speaker 4: Well, I love my grandma. They're gonna mean to take the grandma side.
Speaker 2: Everybody's on a grandma side. Yeah, that's why I was trying to question you, because I was like, did you do something to the grandma first?
Speaker 1: But it doesn't sound like it. No, No, it really doesn't.
Speaker 4: I thank you. It was bizarre behavior.
Speaker 2: Crazy, I mean that is you know. That is what this whole podcast is about. The ship that happens on the road. Most of it you wouldn't.
Speaker 4: Believe, right, And and the one the version I've talked about because it was it had we were just starting the podcast ten eleven years ago, right after this had happened, that rear ending where I was, Me and my girlfriend were both in trapped in a smash car, a car that the tow truck place thought, oh, for sure these are deceased people because the backseat, you know. Yeah, it's it's a theme that that comes back often.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So I know that that person that hit us kind of evaded the situation, was uninsured and left town because I followed him on Twitter, but I always check in. I'm like, how it's this person doing. I don't know why. I'm not going to ever say hey, why did you not? You know, we had to be interrogated by the insurance and all these things because all he did is not answer the phone, and then they're like, well we're going to go after you. Then no one hears that story.
Speaker 1: Well they do both sides.
Speaker 4: I found out yesterday he died in twenty twenty. Yeah, god, damn, I'm sorry. Is this a bad story? The reason I'm bringing why, don't you know the reason I'm bringing it up. I want to know why. I want to know how. I went to his appreciation page. I'm like, ah, there's no clues in the comments, I'm like, what is it? Was it COVID? Was he in a car wreck? The only clue I saw was someone put be careful who your friends are. No one's talking about it, be careful who your friends are. Plus no one mentioning anything had to be a drug overdose.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was just gonna say the same thing.
Speaker 4: See, that's why I brought it up. Now it's a fun conversation.
Speaker 2: Well fun, that is generous, But I feel bad.
Speaker 4: What if it all started the drugs and everything because the insurance came after him and he had to pay that money, and then you know, all the fitness career and everything he is into went by the wayside. Barbituates took over this.
Speaker 1: That's why the saying is don't do drugs.
Speaker 2: That's the whole thing about it is there is actually the reason they say it is not just to be a bummer, but it's because it sucks your life up.
Speaker 4: I just wanted to bring it up because we were talking before about how people that have wronged me have perished in the past, and do I have a special and it happened once again. That's all I'm bringing.
Speaker 2: Those are the kind of the things that were floating in the air. You felt like they needed to get I.
Speaker 4: Feel bad, you know, I feel guilty. What have I had something to do with this? Anyway?
Speaker 2: It's a fun, lighthearted borderline suicide and or overdosed right.
Speaker 4: Right, Yeah, it's a mystery. I like solving things.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let us know.
Speaker 4: Definitely that a cliffhanger updates with little theme music.
Speaker 1: Yeah, any kind of a death you might want to talk about, bring it up.
Speaker 4: Sure, make light of it. Bring it up, and the nervousness will cause the jokes to double when talking about the sensitive stuff.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 1: I'm over here just waiting with baited breath. What kind of news are you going to break? The best or the worst?
Speaker 4: By baited breath? Do you mean like when people go fishing with a sardine?
Speaker 2: Do you have that?
Speaker 4: No? I just thoughts on a's an opportunity baited.
Speaker 2: Are we drunk?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm wasted.
Speaker 1: This has a real day drinking. Oh my god, this is.
Speaker 4: Day a year and one day. Oh my god, of no drinking in my life.
Speaker 2: Congratulations, Chris Fairbanks. That's a huge accomplishment.
Speaker 4: Why I brought it up and to distract us from the previous topic, which was questionable.
Speaker 2: Then I won't say the thing I was about to say, which was in praise of day drinking.
Speaker 4: Let's fall off the wagon.
Speaker 2: I just as an alcoholic myself, and the things that I love about drinking, they're all kind of like false memories essentially, because when you tell yourself, I wish I was doing this again, or I should be doing this again, it's actually just a kind of like reflection of a time where you were younger, hotter, more popular, right, whatever the case might be, and you're basically going, oh, it was still like that, yeah, and so, but I find myself always putting that on, like God, day drinking is so fun, except it's four drinks in you're fucked because it's like to.
Speaker 4: Sleep yep, and it ruins that day, it ruins the next day.
Speaker 2: If you think you're gonna be able to do your set that night, you're wrong. Like you're gonna do it, but it won't be.
Speaker 4: Good, right exactly.
Speaker 1: It never helped, It never helps.
Speaker 4: And I always, even to this day, I'm like, oh, I don't go to parties anymore. It was so fun at parties because I my memory is me, you know, dancing with a lampshade, on my head and everyone laughing like why is Chris so fun? But really, in reality that night I probably said the wrong thing, sure, or got upset or ranted about someone that is wrong to me or the elderly things that I don't do anymore.
Speaker 1: Except for except for on this podcast.
Speaker 4: Well, yes, but you know, when I'm not podcast as a life practice, yes, as it's sometimes I say their own thing because that's part of my podcast character.
Speaker 2: Oh that's right.
Speaker 4: But off when we're not recording, you know, I'm very it's almost boring.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, how accurate you always are?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Em politically correct.
Speaker 1: Yes for sure, Yeah, definitely.
Speaker 2: But yeah, so my story was But I think because I gave it that free limb what I just said, I can still tell it without being without Where are.
Speaker 4: We right now?
Speaker 6: I turned down the street just to get off of Ventura, right and thinking it would loop us back, i'd be able to go over and oh maybe I still can cam Rio.
Speaker 1: Hell yeah, right, I thought this was a dead end.
Speaker 4: No, this is kind of an exciting, uh like road that goes along the river, I believe. Well, it comes to a complete stop.
Speaker 1: Here, I guess, Well, we'll see, it'll loop us back.
Speaker 2: Yes, at least it's nice. So I was. And you remember our good friend Zach Noy Towers, who was a guest on the show. He and I like a weekend or two weekends ago, were out doing stuff during.
Speaker 1: The day and then we're like, hey, should we eat lunch?
Speaker 2: We were both realized we were hungry, so we went to this Mexican restaurant. Yes, And it was like one o'clock and there were it wasn't that crowded, but there was like three people sitting at the bar and it was like the way the light was coming in through the window and the music and this and that. I was like, I just personally inside, I was like I would fucking kill to be sitting at that bar day drinking today.
Speaker 4: With a margarita. Yeah, I don't know why I want margarita's.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because they mean party, they mean like fun times. The taste is like someone handing it to you, like here we go.
Speaker 4: Yeah. The margaritas have a reputation for like it's okay, it's a margarita.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's it's like oh, or what are you at a bachelorette party? Are you? Is it your birthday? It must be a celebration because it's a margarita. So we're sitting there and then I say it where I'm like, god, I've really really over romanced day drinking. And then Zach was like, oh, I loved day drinking. The waiter walks up and puts two shots in front of each of us and goes, these are for you guys.
Speaker 4: Oh wow.
Speaker 1: And then Zach looks up and goes, do they have alcohol in him?
Speaker 2: And he was like and then the waiter just takes him back and walks away. It was so funny.
Speaker 4: That's Zach also doesn't drink.
Speaker 2: He does not he's been sober for a long time. Yeah, oh wow, okay, yes, And it was it was as if that waiter could feel the vibe that we were definitely giving off, but that we did we didn't want to be.
Speaker 4: It was a subtle double vibe. Yes, I'm gonna go out. I'm gonna go out on a limb here with this, and I see that that was the wrong limb. Goodbye, thanks, goodbye. That's perfect.
Speaker 1: Never takes his fingers off the shot glass.
Speaker 2: It was and it was a bright pink shot, so like I was like, what's in there? This is wonderful, delicious, Oh wow, what could it be?
Speaker 1: We will never know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that that I wouldn't have taken it. But it's one of those situations like what if the timing happens, you know, things happened that day, I had a certain week, and then all of a sudden someone puts those in front of me, Maybe then I would.
Speaker 2: Well, but it doesn't sound like it sounds like you're on a track that makes internal sense as opposed to I have to do this from the external reason, right.
Speaker 4: My reason for stopping has built up over time. Initially it wasn't I'm like I need to recover. H It's just like, wait a minute, this feels good, and it's starting to feel better. What an interesting experiment this is. And now I'm like, well, i'd be very disappointed in myself, right, but I do enjoy, uh, you know, buying drinks for other people and watching them get a little sloppy, just so I can test my ability to act, because you know, I'm a thesbian deep at heart.
Speaker 1: That's true.
Speaker 4: Act drunk also, Well, it's fun.
Speaker 2: I always noticed because in the beginning I could not go to bars with my friends because I was just like I just want to drink.
Speaker 4: And this is torture, right. I'm still having trouble with it yet.
Speaker 1: I mean because bars, that's just so it's dedicated and specific.
Speaker 2: But then when I felt more stable and I would go, I would like be sitting in a booth with my friends and three of us would be getting drunk and two of us would not. But I swear to God like as we would talk and laugh and riff, I was like, now I feel drunk. I thought I was getting like my brain was basically going, eh, you are kind of drunk, right, I mean that's the kind of Ellie driving you just can't do right. The guy that needs to you need to go around the bus, right, I know you need.
Speaker 1: That's why I fucking stopped.
Speaker 2: I'm not going to stay here forever.
Speaker 4: Go fool.
Speaker 1: I gave you the opening.
Speaker 4: Were you behind me wearing a wig today? A Big Bear?
Speaker 2: Me and my sister. I think at that age you're only hanging out with your siblings.
Speaker 4: Yes, yeah, I think, or a mountain housemate.
Speaker 2: As they call lesbians up in Big Bear. I'd love to meet your mountain housemate if if you felt comfortable introducing.
Speaker 4: Me, yeah, yes, yes, And they're dressed in the same outfit.
Speaker 1: Mm hmmm, Donald Duck Don Duck boom.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'll I am. I really did bring that up because I was disappointed in my own I should have just pulled over, like, look, go be crazy somewhere else and not think about it for another second. But instead I wanted to fight.
Speaker 1: That's a harder thing.
Speaker 2: It makes sense to me that, like, you're gonna do it piece by piece.
Speaker 1: First, the drinking is gonna get sidelined.
Speaker 2: Right right. Then you're gonna get real used to more than one year and one day, yes, real, used to unadjusted feelings.
Speaker 1: And then like in fucking eleven years.
Speaker 2: Hey, we passed that Rolls Royce on the other on the way going really yeah, literally almost in the same spot.
Speaker 4: Well, I'm gren there's been a few things like that, and I don't know that you noticed. When we were going down that street and we're like, where are we right now? A girl with a dog was walking And then we went around the block and I swear it was the same girl with a different dog walking in the same direction from a different time. It was a like that cat.
Speaker 2: I'm going to tell you this in that movie with Keanu Reeves.
Speaker 1: In Los Angeles.
Speaker 4: Oh, I don't like the phrase glitch and the matrix. Yeah, it's but it can't be replaced. It just comes out of all our of our mouths. Right, everyone knows what it means. Yeah, and I'm there I've said.
Speaker 2: But I will say this here in Los Angeles, all the actresses kind of do look alike.
Speaker 4: I we just saw someone in their stunt double and a dog and a stunt dog, and.
Speaker 2: They got into an argument and they walked away with two different dogs.
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: But I was just going to tell you the thing of getting mad at people or like road rage, right, I have really bad road rage and like really like really bad like not letting people in to punish them because they did it wrong and et cetera.
Speaker 4: That's why this is a good podcast. Let's go on.
Speaker 2: It's the lifeblood of this project.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: But you know when you're drunk that you're drunk, right, So then you're like, oh, I fucked all this up And you can just take that element out of your life with difficulty sometimes, but it can be gone.
Speaker 1: You can't ever get rid of your feelings.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Uh, that's one thing my my reaction with sudden anger that I used to think was maybe my brain has something wrong with that, maybe I was born with it. That was one of the things I realized after not drinking for a while, because it kind of just sits there. Yes, because it wasn't happening just when I was. Did you know ilcohol something known as a depressant. Yes, sometimes depression acts out as anger.
Speaker 1: Yes, I think I do know this thing. It took you a year.
Speaker 4: Is it very famous place to get Margarita's oh cosa vega? Yep? You know it from what movies? Well, something in Hollywood?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I feel like I know it from in the days where they were still making the show Friends. I always heard the Friends would go there to party after work, so there would be people like I took my sister there one time when she came to visit me, just in case we got to see like Jennifer Aniston in the wild.
Speaker 4: So funny and you might laugh in my face. But it wasn't until right now that I realized New York City and Central Perk and everything was not in I thought they were New York actors. Really there's you could be a cop show or you know, a soap opera or Friends. That's why I thought the New York acting jobs were But of course I know Central Perk was honest. I even went I saw it on a studio lot once. I'm like, oh, there's a friend's coffee.
Speaker 1: But in your mind the reality, yes of it.
Speaker 4: I thought they were New York actors.
Speaker 2: Well, and did you know that Seinfeld was also in? Like they've filmed that right down here at Radford.
Speaker 4: It's kind of and I'm admitting that's now also a little bit of a surprise even though I knew. I knew, but yes, of course, yeah, yeah, well, well I like the idea that they all hung out together.
Speaker 1: I know, I think that's very sweet. Yes, but I never watched that show.
Speaker 4: No, it didn't. It didn't age well, I feel, yeah, a number of reasons.
Speaker 2: I think I just thought I was punk rock and I was like, I'd rather watch a black and white film.
Speaker 4: Yeah, for me, I was into it. We would have like a friend's night in Bendorg and I lived in this house with just snowboarder dudes, and we were way into it because it was just on the verge of the Ross and Rachel characters getting together. Yeah, and something about that was like exciting for us.
Speaker 1: Everybody loves romance.
Speaker 4: I had a picture and I think I've told you this of Jennifer Andison on my wall along with Perriet Wheeler. Sundays, Oh yeah, too little. I was listening to the Sundays just today and I still think you could front a Sunday's like band, And I think you have a similar voice.
Speaker 2: And I think you'd be the only person in the audience if we if we went.
Speaker 4: Ahead and fly back, Oh no, no, Shgayzy dream pop is is still there's a huge following.
Speaker 2: Are you sure?
Speaker 4: And you could you know, you could have a modern twist.
Speaker 2: Just you mean, like update Sunday songs, maybe put like a DJ track behind them.
Speaker 4: If you went like today, if the Cocktail Twins I put them in the same category, had like a concert, it would be more packed than a smash Mouth show. Those those audiences stick around. You're right there ready for you to do original new Sunday's songs. And I know you are and.
Speaker 1: Dev and something like that.
Speaker 4: Yes, but that everyone, that is just Karen's podcast singing voice. That to make me feel better.
Speaker 2: I'm doing a character of a voice. I mean, that's my character. Maureen Wheeler, Harriet Wheeler's younger sister.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, arts and crafts teacher if yeah, but get you in the studio with some cans. Sorry, oh boy, sorry sir. It was not happy.
Speaker 1: I should have let him go.
Speaker 4: Oh no, think about it. Think about starting a band the other way.
Speaker 2: I mean that would it would be super fun I feel like, and not comedy just separate.
Speaker 1: Yeah, not a comedy thing. I would not be trying to be funny.
Speaker 4: It would be hard to do comedy shoegaz Yes, it would be irritating. I think to do that.
Speaker 2: Yes, well, but you know Brian Cook does the show where there's he does the cover band.
Speaker 4: Yes, and who did you do?
Speaker 2: I have done on the cover band show the Go Gos. I have done PJ Harvey which.
Speaker 4: PJ Harvey song?
Speaker 1: Oh we did?
Speaker 2: No, we did? We did it duet with Nick Cave, me and Rick Brandy's boyfriend Rick, the real Nick Cave PJ. Harvey did it with the real Nick Cave, Rick Brandy's boyfriend.
Speaker 4: Do you thank you? Okay? Gotcha?
Speaker 2: Gotcham And then we did the song I picked that I was really excited about was Kamakazi, which was so fucking hard to do because it was in six.
Speaker 1: It was in six eight time, I think they said.
Speaker 2: Which is like like basically for jazz musicians, like very difficult. The count in like it goes dun dun dun dun dunk, starts over like in this very strange way.
Speaker 4: I can only assume there's a setting on a record player just for this. I don't know what you're talking about. I don't.
Speaker 2: I just sing karaoke in a band, you know, when they say four or four time and that is like one two three four one.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I'mtually at least could probably explain this way better because she yes, yes, so.
Speaker 7: Four four six eight is actually closer to like a waltz. It kind of feels, but it's it's in double time, so it's like rather than like one two three one two three, it's like one two three one two three one two, it's like it's six divided by two.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, and that's what it was like. It was so hard because it's a fast okay, anyway, go ahead.
Speaker 5: Sorry.
Speaker 4: I was like, that's that's it, that's it. Yeah, wow, yeah, Well, if I think if there's another chance, I'm sorry getting sidetracked by by what I would sing what would make it about me? I mean, I want you to do Sundays next time. I always knew it today that it's still so good, bonded on, and I remember it just being a you know, my mom would mail in the Columbia Record Club, literally putting a stamp on a piece of paper. It's such a vague memory.
Speaker 1: But what about taping a penny?
Speaker 2: Right, remember that where they're like, for just a penny, you can have all these things. And then it's like, so you tape a penny to a postcard and send it in and then you're supposed to get twenty cassette tapes or however many they promised, But of course it wasn't just a penny. Then you had to start paying them. It was like a subscription cassette tape.
Speaker 4: Yes, it was something my mom fell for and I kind of reaped the benefits. But I remember ordering It's one of my first CDs, like and you pay with like Sonic Youth and some you know, Chili Peppers or something I don't listen to at all anymore. Sundays I randomly, I didn't know much about it. It was in the alternative section and I was immediately mesmerized, and it kind of set the tone for all the music I would secretly like, without telling all my skater dude friends, you totally talk like this. I love the new Sepultura.
Speaker 2: I like the first time I tried to talk to Brian Posain about that band, I was like, have you ever seen Sepultra live? And he was like, Sepultura. He got so mad. Yeah, yeah, it was hilarious.
Speaker 1: But I'm like, I've only ever read it. I've never talked to.
Speaker 4: An actual fan, right, Yeah, it.
Speaker 2: Sounds like somebody mispronouncing it. It does Supultra maybe, and I was just basing that on.
Speaker 4: It's a very Los Angeles yeah reaction to Sepultura. When I moved here, of course because of that band, I called it Sepulveda. Yeah the street and then Henry Henry Phillips laughed in my face, and.
Speaker 1: Then you did it on stage.
Speaker 4: And then we became such good friends that I used to sleep over at his house and had my own Futon mattress under his bed. We would watch YouTube videos into the night. Alcohol was a big part of it, and it all started with him correcting my pronunciation of yeah, I only knew Sepulter because I had a friend who would a skater friend who listened. He had two cassette tapes and that was one of them, and I listened to it so often that I kind of got into it. And the other one was It's Mooth Operator.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 4: No, it was another metal band which I can't.
Speaker 1: Remember, Minor Threat.
Speaker 4: Uh that's that's hardcore. Oh the Anthrax is, Yes, it is. Yes, it's great that you brought that up, because that's a perfect combination. I would call that hardcore new metal or not new metal. That's like wrapping. That's Liam Biscuit went away.
Speaker 8: Yeah, new metal was in you metal? Right, it's it's yes, worst case scenario. Oh man, what band would you want to cover for a.
Speaker 1: Show like that?
Speaker 4: It's funny because I there are some Fishbone songs that I can very much nail and in a way that people maybe don't expect until it hits a certain note. But we'll changed the song a little sure. And there was a night where Angelo Moore was part of that show. Oh right, yeah, and I was on it but couldn't do it because of a road gig, And I to this day will I for days to come I almost wanted to tell Angelo Moore when I saw him in the Costco parking lot in you know, going He was just going into a chase band and I skated by him and I'm like, I'm a big fan of who you are, and he just smiled.
Speaker 2: And said get out of here, and has.
Speaker 4: The exact same face as he did many many years ago. He just looks the same. But I also have all these songs that I've been singing with that band, whether or not we do that again. I got pretty good at some of those songs. Yeah, so I could do Dinosaur Junior or Descendants, but that doesn't really say who I am. I would rather do a Sunday song in your voice. That's what I want to sing. It's so funny when you're a kid and first listening to music, Like when i'd listened to like orchestral maneuvers in the Dark or dirty Rotten Imbeciles, whatever it was, I would imagine my stay and yeah, OMD D tm I. But I kept it. You know, my friends were listening to Poison and bon Jovi, so I had my fringe music a secret. Turns out this whole time I was right, you were wrong.
Speaker 2: I kind of feel that when like so much of the eighties music that I loved is still being played, like truly The Cure, the idea that like boys Don't Cry gets played on like if you're in CBS, those are the songs that come up where I'm like, this is strange to me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this was alternative music in the eighties.
Speaker 2: You had to like hunt around to the special FM radio station that had it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and like now it's like here this is what everyone likes.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's it's I can't explain it sometimes, like like Morrissey's popularity with Latino crowds, like there's it's just awesome. And I don't know why, because when I listen to The Cure, people made fun of it because he had his voice was different and they weren't ready for it or it was too a lipstick. Yeah, yes, and and but I would pretend to be him when I'd sing those songs. Well, I'm going to ask to do that. Show you shouldn't because it's fun to do.
Speaker 2: It's kind of cool because drummers kind of have no choice but to be loud. Like I remember somebody playing us playing like a quiet song at something sometime and my friends are really good drummers. Like I'm trying to be as quiet as possible.
Speaker 4: Right our drummer, his arms are the size of my legs. He does not work out as far as I know, and since cology has gotten more and more muscular, so he has no choice. Yeah, he can't not be strong.
Speaker 2: He has to shred, he has to rip it up.
Speaker 4: Yes, because that's what his arms are doing on their own, scredden and rip it.
Speaker 2: It's pretty cool.
Speaker 4: Yeah, to have big musclely arms.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know, and have gotten them from rhythm.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, there's no story. I love muscles with no back story.
Speaker 2: I mean just like, Oh, it's because I work at the junkyard.
Speaker 4: Yes, these old abs. Welcome back to these old abs, these old abs. Today we're going to talk about a garbage man. A garbage boy really appears to be eighteen or nineteen in my area in Echo Park. I've seen him multiple times because very handsome, very in shape, has a like horn, rim glasses and a nice neat haircut, a perfectly white shirt with no spots on it, tucked in and just car hearts. It looks like it does not work for the city, but it it's just a very unlikely garbage man, mainly mainly because he's super clean cut. And then I yeah, I'm just every time I'm like, why is that young? Does not seem old enough to even have a job. And I'm not exaggerating, I'm painting the exact picture this kid. So explain that. Explain those muscles also muscular.
Speaker 2: So wait, he's and you've seen him in the act of doing the job.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's a garbage truck guy. He's taken the cansies.
Speaker 1: Well, i'll tell you. I'll tell you exactly what's going on there.
Speaker 5: It's a good job with benefits, and he has OCD so he cannot stop tide penning that shirt because he's handling garbage left, right and center.
Speaker 4: You know what I was thinking, maybe is the smell, which would bother most of us. It's the reason I don't do the job, the only reason.
Speaker 1: That's the only reason.
Speaker 4: Yes, but fluids, everything that's in there, we don't even want to talk about it, diapers, I could go on and on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you don't need to name items of garbage.
Speaker 4: Vomit snot bags of snot sanitary napkin used and old and new.
Speaker 2: Where did the bag of snock come from. Just tell me really quick who did that?
Speaker 4: And how you hanging up to keep bugs away during a picnic? So this kid who filled.
Speaker 1: It, how did you fill it? How long did it take to fill?
Speaker 4: Man? Old man mucus to the neighbor keeps the bugs away. But I was thinking maybe this kid had COVID and still hasn't got a sense of smellback. And he's like, might as well take advantage of it because he does not even WinCE. I've seen him deal with unspeakable things. I know it seems like I'm spying on this. I always drive down the road and he's working. The garbage cans are in the streets. They're not in the alleys. I'm not lurking in my alley. I know that's what you're thinking. Well, this is out in the open. He gets out of the truck a lot because he cares about his job. He's making sure everything's secure. He's doing a lot. You know how you see a lot of garbage folks that are really rely on the mechanical arms and they just shake it. There's like sure cleanex or something, and it won't come loose, and they're just jiggling and the and the can is cracking, why.
Speaker 2: Not go back to the bag?
Speaker 1: It's not that's that's you know.
Speaker 4: It was. I knew it, and I let it pass by. I knew it was a perfect not bad called back situation.
Speaker 2: When you have the opportunity to do this not bad callback and you're not gonna do it if.
Speaker 4: It's so obvious, you know, I'm gonna go single cleanex But yeah, a lot of these guys are just shake it. Like you'll see trash bins sometimes just shattered to pieces because someone doesn't want to get out of the truck and to make an adjustment. And I'm not pointing fingers here.
Speaker 2: Although I find that in memory of seeing garbage men in New York City, they're always out of the truck.
Speaker 4: LA.
Speaker 2: It's so la of LA garbage men to be like, we can handle this from inside the truck, which I believe they can. I've never seen my garbage man out of the truck.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's no one walks in LA.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, stay in the cars. Not this kid.
Speaker 2: No, he's out about. Here's the other thing. He might not be a garbage man. He might love garbage and he's just hanging.
Speaker 4: Out and they let him drive the truck.
Speaker 1: Oh you've seen him driving.
Speaker 4: God, he's a guy. He's getting out, he's focused.
Speaker 2: He's like, he's the only he looks.
Speaker 4: Like Connor McNutt. Do you know that he's a comic with a that is also surprisingly muscly, and he's a skater comic that moved to New York and just came back. He's he's a funny Okay, this guy looks like Connor of your listening, you got got a trash man doppelganger and I it's it's one of those things where it's like when you see a young who was that famous kid that was a bodybuilder mister Oh, he was a tiny boy in the nineties that was like the strongest boy. It was after the Strongest Boy, little mister Universe or something. He was like and his dad was like abusively, it was like go to the GM every day. And then later he became a normal boy and quit working out Pinocchio.
Speaker 9: He his dad molded him to be muscular and then he stopped lying and God gotsoft.
Speaker 2: So he was kind of like, uh, I see what you mean. Like it was on a bunch of human interest, like real people type stories of like this next child is loves weightlifting. And then it turned out he was being four every day.
Speaker 4: And you could tell he was. But that wasn't the story, No, of course, it was like, look how muscular he is for a kid. That's this garbage boy from my neighborhood.
Speaker 1: He's grown up to be a garbage man.
Speaker 4: It doesn't fit his age or face that he's this strong.
Speaker 2: Since you're already stalking him, why not take a picture next to him.
Speaker 4: He's out in the streets. And okay, I'll show you the already existing photos on my phone. I just want you to know I'm not in an alley.
Speaker 2: This is from your roof.
Speaker 7: M h.
Speaker 4: Laying yes, flat down on a blanket like a sniper.
Speaker 1: With a telephoto lens.
Speaker 4: Yes. Great, I'm like Michael Fastbender in that movie We're Yeah, he's a sniper, a killer. I think it's called Killer. Oh. I tried to watch that, except I'm just trying to take killer photos of the garbage boy. I got my tripod, my blanket.
Speaker 2: Oh, so you like him, young, I didn't know I'm I did this is I just am surprised.
Speaker 4: I am there. I have no ill will or ulterior motives. He's just the most interesting garbage man I've every se.
Speaker 2: Could it be just purely his youth making his shirt look so clean? And really you're just kind of like, oh, the beauty of youth.
Speaker 4: Every time I've seen him, I'm like, wow, how is that shirt so white? Why is it tucked in? Why? He's got everything about him is clean and proper, And he's like, and he does it on purpose because he's like, this is a dirty job, but I'm going to do it in a you know, in a clean way, in a clean, mister Clean way. He's basically dressed like mister Clean, except I've yet to see him in white pants.
Speaker 1: But I you know, and is he muscular like mister Clean? Yes, okay, but he's young, he's.
Speaker 4: See now you're starting to see the pictures. Yes, I wish I had these photos on hand. They're at the developers.
Speaker 1: Well, how about the portrait you're painting of him?
Speaker 4: He won't stand still long enough. He works so hard.
Speaker 1: Don't go all the way out into the traffic to prove a point.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry, yeah, sorry, I'm on the hood.
Speaker 2: Sorry.
Speaker 1: He's also smoking a big joint.
Speaker 4: He is smoking a big joint, big old joint. Yeah, Oh, this guy's gonna be key wonting to make people get he's a suit. Oh that was a joint. Some of that's un into the car everybody. Wow. Oh whoops, Okay, it happens.
Speaker 2: Your dog's in there, fucking weirdo. I am sorry that that one I don't like. How about leave your dogs alone?
Speaker 1: How about that?
Speaker 4: Well, leave them alone.
Speaker 2: They don't want to wear a little, they don't want to go with you. They don't want.
Speaker 4: To be baby. Ye that's not And normally you walk dogs so they can get exercise. And that's just a dog and a bonnet. It's cause playing as a baby for you, so that people come and go you and they're like, what a beautiful baby, and then they get bit that's kind of baby at all?
Speaker 1: Your baby bit me, ma'am.
Speaker 4: Well, anyway, I hope I didn't talk too long about that, kid.
Speaker 2: No, I liked it.
Speaker 4: Okay, good, it's interesting. I just I will keep driving something home until you jump on board. I've kind of I've done that.
Speaker 1: Exhausted you brought me around.
Speaker 2: No, you really did well. Because I think I needed a better description. I let go early of the weightlifting thing because of the clean shirts right right, and it took over and then I was seeing him as kind of a lanky.
Speaker 4: Imagine a kid that is doing selfie fitness.
Speaker 9: You know a lot of people tell you need to eat low fat to get abs.
Speaker 4: That's not true. Relicorp produces belly fat, and that order my plant. He seems like that kid.
Speaker 1: The kid that's selling belly fat.
Speaker 4: He's a fool by the bag. It's either that or a bushel. It's not he's oh got that, uh yeah, to be a garbage man behind a liposuction clinic. Oh sorry, Anyway, The point is, I know we'll have that stricken from the record. It just doesn't It's very unlikely.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is for sure. I think I've told you about my my garbage man, who I like to get up in the morning and walk my dogs looking about as disheveled as I possibly can, like truly insane, hair, often unwashed, never put anything on my face, crazy glasses, whatever, dirty clothes, the old nine yards. And there's a the garbage man that I've seen on my street will give me the like Heidi Hoe tip of the hat, and it's so thrilling where it's like truly at this discuss like crusty eyed moment in my life. You're going to be like, hey girl, I see you. It's just like that.
Speaker 4: It's like your time in Italy.
Speaker 1: Really it really is, it really is.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: It makes me want to kind of go out and be in the streets when the garbage comes.
Speaker 4: Yeah. It's funny because every time I've said garbage man, I feel like I'm saying out of date. I'm like, I've said it with hesitation, like garbage tech is what we're supposed to. Yeah, I know that we're being inappropriate, but I feel like, but garbage boy, that's isn't that thing yet?
Speaker 2: No, that's that hasn't started. No, but it's all ready illegal.
Speaker 4: Yes, garbage boy, I expose in certain places there are laws against it.
Speaker 2: What is that woman doing, ma'am? Just being cautious, just cautious by staying in the intersection, y yep, good.
Speaker 4: Lo oh, it's the design of that. It's always because of this parking lot.
Speaker 1: So definitely come to a full stop and just hang out.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry, but that parking lot has so much blood on its hands.
Speaker 1: I mean, that parking lot isn't sane.
Speaker 4: It's a terrible design.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's not good.
Speaker 4: There's a few of them like that. I've seen a couple we just turned to do dads in their front yards.
Speaker 1: Jack Lemon and Walter Mathow wrapping up this podcast.
Speaker 4: Yeah, held, oh, it's true. It's true.
Speaker 1: You know what. It's springtime.
Speaker 4: It is springtime.
Speaker 2: It is.
Speaker 1: It's getting warmer and nicer by the day.
Speaker 4: It's funny because I yeah, I went to Big Bear and I brought my snow boarding clothes which are warm and it. I don't know how it works, but there is snow up there. I think as they make it, spray it on the some of the natural snow. But it is fully winter up there, but also fifty five degree like I was sweating it.
Speaker 1: Oh you know how they do it, global warming. Yes, that's how they.
Speaker 4: Do Thank you Albert Gore, and thank you Tipper for making some of the raunchy rap lyrics a little more tolerable, Tipper Gore. Tipper Gore getting after the two Live crew so we could focus on things like trying down. We've done it again, the leaf blower of economics. Let someone else deal with it. See that one's pretty good.
Speaker 2: It was pretty good.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's some political people that would chuckled at that one.
Speaker 1: They were like, oh my god.
Speaker 2: Bill Maher was like, this guy's biting my area.
Speaker 4: Oh that was great. Well, well, anything to promote. Yes, it's been a while since we didn't have a guest. I don't know how to act around you I have.
Speaker 2: I would love people to listen to all the other podcasts on this podcast network. They're really good.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and check out the merch and give ourselves give your give yourselves a review.
Speaker 2: How about this? Here's a teaser, an upcomer upcoming teaser. Chris Fairbanks has designed a new shirt and it is based on suggestions that you all made to us on social media that he set up a little pool, and so he made the shirt that you suggested a reality. And when I tell you this is going to be a great shirt, like you just won't believe it.
Speaker 4: Oh thanks, I'm excited about it too. I worked hard on it because I'm out of practice, and the first versions I was like what am I doing? I don't know how. You just have to practice, yes, drawing all the time for it to come easy, and so I was like starting and erasing it. Anyway, I like how it ended up.
Speaker 1: And were you able to do timelines.
Speaker 4: I will work. I'm going to work on that. And that's that's another teaser. Look out for this next thing. We've given no hints or details about.
Speaker 1: It's all vague art based.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we can't expose too much, just art.
Speaker 2: It's art for you by Chris.
Speaker 4: Thank you for listening to this very mysterious episode of Do You Need a Ride? Do You Yet aar? This has been an exactly Right.
Speaker 2: Production produced by Annalise Nelson, mixed by Edson Choi. Our talent booker is Patrick Kottner.
Speaker 4: Theme song by Karen Kilgarrett.
Speaker 1: Artwork by Chris Fairbanks.
Speaker 2: Follow the show on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook at dinar podcast That's d y nar Podcast.
Speaker 4: For more information, go to Exactlyrightmedia dot com.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Oh You're welcome