Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio Our two.
Speaker 2: On this Wednesday, Dan and the Dan n It's Dan Patrick Show. We'll talk to the former Cowboys coach Jason Garrett. He was on the call for NBC for Football Night in America on Sunday. Drew Brees first ballot Hall of Famer. We'll stop by as well. And when you think about Drew Brees in an era where everybody was supposed to be six four six', five he was six feet and that's being. Generous also if you factor in, That, okay he was smaller and he was a, runner but he. Wasn't he was a six foot quarterback who didn't, run and he ended up throwing for sixty thousand yards and winning A Super.
Speaker 3: Bowl so he'll join. Us coming.
Speaker 2: Up stat of The day is always brought to you By Pennini, america the official trading.
Speaker 3: Cards of the.
Speaker 2: Program we will update the poll, results give you a new poll for the second hour of the program and coming up moments from. Now she came up with an advertising and marketing campaign For Sam.
Speaker 3: Darnold it's a.
Speaker 2: Victory day parade In. Seattle they're expecting upwards of eight hundred thousand people to show, up but the public school system says no excused. Absences you have to show up for. School AND, i as a, parent would if my kids, said, hey can we go? CELEBRATE i would say absolutely, absolutely Although todd it was a teacher's, pet would have gone to class.
Speaker 4: If there was an exam THAT i felt LIKE i could not miss AND i was going to be able to re take it another, day which would be terrible for a teacher to do something like.
Speaker 2: That but let's say you were In denver and you're eleven years of age and The broncos just won The Super, bowl and it's an unexcused absence if you go to the, parade.
Speaker 5: Well you're up in the. Stake BECAUSE i don't care about perfect attendance or anything like.
Speaker 4: THAT i was always very concerned about my grades In aroncold as big as A bronco, fan AS i was just like age seven or. Eight if there was a big midterm or final or test that was going to be a big part of MY i would probably go to. School as lame as that sounds all.
Speaker 2: Right eight seven seven THREE dp show email Address dpatdanpatrick dot, Com twitter handle A dp show good. Morning if you're watching On peacock or THE Nbc Sports network and uh listening on our radio affiliates around the. Country let's recap our ones poll question and then move ahead to hour two.
Speaker 6: Seed would you Let slash encourage your kid to stick out in order to attend a championship? Parade ninety percent of the audience say. Yes and should School should schools close for championship parade? Days sixty five percent say, yes that's, so you, know thirty five percent saying, no.
Speaker 2: Though, yeah what if a teacher wants to do? IT i mean we're talking about the. Students, oh they got to have a personal. Day they're going to have a cough, There, marvin.
Speaker 5: That's why THERE'S.
Speaker 3: Pto fair, enough fair, enough all?
Speaker 2: RIGHT a couple of phone calls in, Here, todd do you want to give the marketing advertising campaign For?
Speaker 3: Sam?
Speaker 2: So Sam donald went To disneyland and then he was serving chicken fingers behind the counter Of Raising cane In. Seattle AND i know that's a really popular. SPOT i haven't Had Raising. Cane maybe they'd like to be a sponsor of the. Show But Sam donald was behind the counter serving up chicken tenders yesterday, Yes.
Speaker 7: Paul, yeah there's hundreds of people in line at the local raising, canes and Then sam gets out of the, suv goes behind the counter and starts chopping it up with.
Speaker 4: People, yesh BUT i thought he proved he Wasn't, chicken that he wasn't seeing ghosts, anymore and he won the Super.
Speaker 5: Bowl so it just seems like we want to stay away From.
Speaker 3: Chicken how about we set up our.
Speaker 2: Pitch we could do that the elevator pitch Where i've only got and you know that's where you have the time when you get on the, elevator and then by the time you get off the, elevator you've made your pitch to the marketing.
Speaker 5: Kind of got to get to the point fairly.
Speaker 3: Quickly, yes you would not do well with not. Elevator un that's.
Speaker 4: A big Pentastic we'll go up The Empire State building elevator.
Speaker 2: Maybe, okay all, right so tell the audience what you told us earlier this.
Speaker 4: Morning, OKAY i was Thinking Sam donald obviously wins The Super, bowl and we've heard all these things about all the other teams he was at and you, know seeing ghosts and, everything and we asked on when he was on the, show and many people have asked, him.
Speaker 5: Don't you play with a chip on your?
Speaker 4: Shoulder you know everybody's criticizing, you Playoff sam and all that kind of, stuff play Off.
Speaker 5: Donald so why?
Speaker 4: Not even though he denies the thing about the chip on the, shoulder this time he.
Speaker 5: Doesn't paul helped me flush this.
Speaker 4: Out this time he does have a chip on his, shoulder a giant potato chip on his, shoulder And ruffles Or lays Or y's Or pringles or some chip. Company should get involved as soon as possible and get in touch With Sam donald's people and have him do a campaign with a potato chip on his, shoulder and they could play off the whole chip on the shoulder.
Speaker 2: Thing and that's my nice elevator. Pitch, Wow, paul he's given you a round of. Applause it's so simple and. Perfect it will. Work you just silence a guy eating a bag of. Chips you pan up To Sam donald in full, uniform and he flicks the chip. Off his shoulder goes not anymore. Black, no he didn't flip it. Off he grabs it and eats. It, okay even, Better, yeah you can't waste a late lace potato.
Speaker 3: Chip we're.
Speaker 7: Workshopping that's even.
Speaker 2: Better, yeah so he'll have a chip on his shoulder no longer because he's eating.
Speaker 5: It but then they put another chip on his shoulder because if it's laz you can't eat just.
Speaker 4: One so now you're constantly getting more and more chips that you're telling your commercial.
Speaker 2: Neverhoods thank, You. Todd hopefully somebody can get this to. UH i know his parents listen to the. Show So sam's, parents maybe you could Tell. Sam and we're not going to take a, fee you, know this is our gift To sam for. Winning, no we'll take the. Chips we'll take a bag of chips or. Two all, right let me see we get a couple of phone calls in. Here The patriots had exit interviews, yesterday and you, KNOW i Thought Will campbell handled his himself quite. Well WOULD i want him to talk after The Super?
Speaker 3: BOWL i.
Speaker 2: Do and you KNOW i bring this up, usually you know after these losses where or somebody doesn't. Talk AND i, SAID i was there When Bill buckner had the ball go through his legs and he did every. Interview eckersley when he gave up the home run To Gibson Mitch williams when he gave up the home run To Joe, Carter Rodney, harrison when you had the helmet.
Speaker 3: Catch you get paid to do. This this isn't.
Speaker 2: College you get, paid and you know the fan bases deserve to hear something from. You And Will campbell did not want to talk after a terrible performance Against, seattle but he did talk yesterday at The patriots press.
Speaker 8: Conference just wanted a night to sleep on. Things hopefully y'all can forgive me and we can move past. IT i know myself and IF i would have spoken, AFTER i would have said something THAT i didn't need to. Say. Obviously you, KNOW i was, picked, high paid a, lot so people expect a certain thing more. Myself so WHENEVER i don't, PERFORM i don't, expect you, know everyone to be, like it's, okay. BUDDY i, mean obviously it, sucks but it doesn't suck for anyone more than it sucks for.
Speaker 2: Me so That's Will, campbell The patriots left. Tackle and when you have a rookie left guard and a rookie left, tackle it tells you something about the right guard and the right tackle that they didn't switch them when they knew they were having problems because even as bad As Will campbell, was the guys on the other side weren't better than. Him but give credit To. Seattle seattle spotted a. Weakness The patriots didn't, React they didn't change. Anything they didn't have somebody else over there helping or chipping or any of. That or you, know a lot of times you go after the guy who was coming after. You this was always a philosophy against great defensive players is don't go away from, them run at, them and kind of you their athleticism against. Them they didn't do that. Either, yeah what do you Think will would have said?
Speaker 8: That he.
Speaker 2: COULDN'T i don't know need to be. SAID i, NOW i would have followed up by, saying can you give me an idea of what you would have?
Speaker 3: Said because then after that he, says BECAUSE I, i you.
Speaker 6: KNOW i don't expect everybody to be, like, hey don't worry about a, buddy and it's you, know Like paul, said it's a country, song but it sucks for, everybody but it sucks worse for, me.
Speaker 3: Or something like, that he says at the. End but, like what would he have.
Speaker 6: Been, Like i'm, TERRIBLE i don't belong, Here i'm the worst player on the, team or, like what would he have said that didn't need to be said in that.
Speaker 2: MOMENT i think he might have, SAID i wish that we would have, adjusted that we would have done something. DIFFERENT i WISH i could have gotten a little bit more. Help Obviously i'm dealing with an. INJURY a lot of people wondering why he didn't get any. Help, yes he wouldn't have been alone in. THAT i, MEAN i felt bad for him because if you let, that you, Know blitzer have a free run at, you and he's just standing there and all of a, sudden you, know he's The Kevin bacon character In Animal.
Speaker 3: House he gets run.
Speaker 1: Over.
Speaker 3: Gone, Yes AND i just, thought.
Speaker 2: Help this, kid because if you, don't it doesn't matter What drake. May it's hard for me really to distinguish how good of Game Drake may could have had with a little bit of, protection just a Little, NOW i didn't think they have enough offense to score twenty, points but he did throw for you, know two hundred and fifty yards in the fourth. Quarter, now granted you might say that's garbage, time BUT i JUST i was shocked That josh McDaniels didn't do anything. ADJUSTMENT i wonder If Bill belichick would have done something different. There and maybe it's not fair to bring that up With Mike, rabel but you got a long. Halftime it's three times longer than a normal. Halftime you couldn't come up with any kind of game. Plan they're, like it seems to be, working let's just stick to the.
Speaker 9: Plan.
Speaker 2: Yeah you know they're gonna get pretty tired after a while running in and Tackling.
Speaker 6: Drake, yeah these three and, outs they're really wearing. Down hell, Yeah, POLING.
Speaker 7: I think we said this yesterday twenty nine thirteen looks really bad for the, score but nine zero at, half it was not out of hand at all scoring.
Speaker 5: Wise.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah that was what was.
Speaker 2: Surprising you kept doing the same, thing AND i kept going at what, point LIKE i Thought seattle would be, like are they trying to trick us? Here they're they're letting us just run in there and you, know knock their quarterback to the.
Speaker 3: Ground.
Speaker 6: Yeah, SEE i, think, yeah this this off season is a real character test for some of these. Guys For Will, campbell how does he come back next year after that being his last game there And Drake. May you, know what is he coming back? To you, know that's you're really going to see if these two players, specifically are they the guy or not based on how they rebound from.
Speaker 2: This, yeah we'll talk To Jason garrett about. This he'll join us in ten minutes from. Now Drew brees will join us a little more than an hour from. NOW a couple of phone Calls david In, La good, Morning, david what's on your?
Speaker 3: Mind?
Speaker 9: Good good Morning? Dan you, know going back to teams abandoning one location in fan base for. Another let's not forget That Oklahoma city was not the first city to Steal seattle thunder see WHAT i did, There fritzy in nineteen sixty, nine the al one trick single. Season Seattle pilots flamed out after a season to become The Milwaukee.
Speaker 2: Brewers all, right, well thank, You. David you, Know Seattle pilots bad. Uniforms Steven, Burbank, Hi, steve what's on your?
Speaker 3: Mind?
Speaker 10: HI i just had a trivia question kind of in line with the, teammates you, know growing up or. Whatever but this is, baseball and it's what players there were father son or, brothers and this this is not For Dan, patrick BECAUSE i Think dan would get, this just for the dank uh brothers or father son that had the most combined home.
Speaker 3: Runs oh, YES pauli the aloof.
Speaker 2: Family, NOPE uh got any any answers over, there The, Griffies, NO i think it's Uh Hank aaron And Tommy.
Speaker 3: AARON i Knew dan would get.
Speaker 10: It could be The hanks Man AND i Think paul's, right you guys are gonna win An emmy before you heard it Here Steven burbank on.
Speaker 3: Tape let's go all, right thank, You.
Speaker 2: Steve it might be after hopefully not, posthumously you, know the death of the, show not the death of. Me but if that, happens then you guys can go up and, uh you, know you can receive the honor in my mate in my.
Speaker 3: Memory just don't.
Speaker 2: Let todd talk too much like everybody gets to say something that seems. FAIR i still like my, eye uh that if we, win we all get up there and we all talk at the same, time and nobody's going to understand what we're, saying but we all get to say what we want to say in the thirty seconds. There so it'd be like and my mom is really. NO i would get up there AND i, go, oh thank. You we'd all just like, to you, know say, something just a little bit of.
Speaker 3: Something my wife that the hell with the? Mother shows? What and then we would go off.
Speaker 11: Stage what.
Speaker 3: Uh junior In? California Hig? Junior what's on your?
Speaker 12: Mind?
Speaker 9: Hey good, Morning dan.
Speaker 13: By To Skinny sat two hundred. Pounds, YEAH i was calling with the teammates out in high, School Josh peterson and De Monte adams all.
Speaker 2: Times, yeah we were looking at those who played the same sport because you know when you talk About Matthew stafford And Clayton, kershaw one played, football one played.
Speaker 3: Baseball oh you knew that. ONE i didn't know. That have you heard that? ONE i don't know if you'd heard that? One, yeah they.
Speaker 2: Did they went same high, School tyler In North. Dakota, Hi, tyler what's on your mind?
Speaker 10: Today?
Speaker 11: Hey?
Speaker 3: Dan thanks to taking a.
Speaker 2: Call, hey just piggybacking on On todd's marketing pitch and good timing With straw And drew coming.
Speaker 3: On i'll come For. Breeze hasn't picked Up Drew, Brees i'll bring it.
Speaker 2: Up drew's not afraid to represent a, product though not at. All all, right let me take a. Break we'll talk To Jason. Garrett why didn't The patriots?
Speaker 3: Change, Yes, hun does us a breeze?
Speaker 5: Airways? Right breeze? Airlines you could do that one, too you get rid of the.
Speaker 3: Fuck so we will talk To Jason garrett About.
Speaker 5: WOW i saw what you did.
Speaker 2: THERE i gave you a whole lot of credit For Sam, darnold AND i.
Speaker 5: Love that the p interrupted you as we getting ready to go to. BREAK i didn't have to say it at that, moment.
Speaker 2: Because once, again you could have told me privately AND i would, say, Hey, todd bring it.
Speaker 5: Back.
Speaker 4: Now seemed to be the moment we were just talking about for BRIEF i threw in breeze at the risk of, Interrupting you're going to.
Speaker 3: Bring take a.
Speaker 2: Break Jason garrett will join us next here On The Dan Patrick.
Speaker 1: Show be sure to catch the live edition Of The Dan Patrick show weekdays at nine Am eastern six Am pacific On Fox Sports radio and The iHeartRadio wapp.
Speaker 5: Stec ots.
Speaker 14: HERE i have a Podcast. Empire it continues to, grow AND i have brought it here To. iHeart i'm also doing a live radio show from three to five Pm eastern because my wife wanted to kick me out of the. House it's Called Stegatzi Company, live which is available in podcast form right when the show finishes every single. Day some of the biggest names in. Sports a lot of phone CALLS.
Speaker 4: I love you on your.
Speaker 10: Show it's one of my.
Speaker 14: Favorite a lot of interact shit guys not taking them selves too. Seriously those are just some of the things that you could expect From stu gots And company And Steve Gotson Company. Live so listen to stew gods And Company live and our original. Podcast please, subscribe rate and Review Stu Gotson company And God Bless. Football taylor's livelihood depends on.
Speaker 5: It do It today and you can.
Speaker 14: Check all of those out on The iHeartRadio, App Apple podcast or wherever you get your.
Speaker 2: Podcasts, seaton do we have a new poll question for hour or?
Speaker 6: Two we have the two from our one that are still up there about taking the day? Off, okay would you encourage your child to sick out in order to attend a championship? Parade ninety percent say? Yes and should schools close for championship? Parade these sixty five percent say.
Speaker 3: Yes this Is.
Speaker 2: Jason Garrett Football night In america's studio, analyst former head coach in THE, nfl JOINING. US i watched the pregame and you were pretty confident where you Thought seattle was going to win by double.
Speaker 15: Digits why were you so? CONFIDENT i just thought they were so much. Better you, know when you watch the film of them all year, long you know there's something about the gauntlet that they went through in THE Nfc west that was interesting to. Me you Play San francisco three, times you play The rams three. Times you, know they win fourteen games in the regular, Season they're impressive in the.
Speaker 11: Playoffs the defense is.
Speaker 15: Dominant sam was clean throughout the, playoffs and you, KNOW i don't want this to come out the wrong way because it is hard to win a, game let alone win fourteen. Games But buffalo's rode all year excuse, Me New england's rode all year long was not nearly as. Challenging you, Know buffalo was the only team they played with a winning, record and you, KNOW i just feel like at the end of, It seattle was they went through the, gauntlet they were more, impressive AND i just think topped about, them they were a better.
Speaker 2: Team help me understand knowing What seattle's. Doing your left tackle is, drowning and it doesn't seem like you're changing your offensive philosophy at.
Speaker 3: All WHY.
Speaker 11: I was.
Speaker 15: Surprised you Know New england's, approach you know the challenges we're going to be up.
Speaker 11: Front we set it before the game THAT i just.
Speaker 15: Don't know If New england's offensive line can Block seattle's front and they couldn't block them when it was a foreman, line and they didn't handle the pressures very well at. All and what was interesting was they were not challenging. Pressures it was a SINGLE dB Coming, witherspoon it was strong dog meaning a mic And Nicol sam. Coming these aren't complicated pressures and it just didn't seem Like New england had any answer for.
Speaker 11: It and for, me you go into.
Speaker 15: The game and you, say, okay let's try to do this and then it's not. WORKING i was just surprised they didn't try something. Different, hey getting, empty get the ball out of his hand, quickly that's something they've. Done, certainly chipping those guys and changing up protections is something you could get. To And josh McDaniels is as good as they GET i, mean trust, me he's in his Tenth Super. Bowl but as that game wore, ON i was surprised he just didn't try something different to alleviate. It AND i was also really surprised they couldn't handle what appeared to be pretty basic.
Speaker 11: Pressures they looked a little bit lost out.
Speaker 3: There, Yeah i'm.
Speaker 2: Surprised and of, course you, know you have forgotten more football THAN i.
Speaker 3: Know And i'm, going can't we just bring some help over?
Speaker 2: There if you're going to go back to, pass then have the opportunity to. Pass you, KNOW i don't know what's going to happen after you throw, it but at least giving the opportunity to be able to throw the. Football AND i really thought they would subscribe to The Tom brady, playbook where it's just out of his hands, quickly and therefore you neutralize that and then maybe you get you, know five seven ten, yards you keep some drives. ALIVE i thought they abandoned the run way too. Early and If i'm noticing, this And i'm a, NOVICE i, Mean seattle's probably GOING i don't think they're going to change. Anything let's just keep doing what we're.
Speaker 15: Doing, yeah the number one thing when you're putting these plans, together and Again josh knows this better than.
Speaker 11: Anybody it's what your protection.
Speaker 15: Plan, okay that's every, week but then particularly when you're talking about their offensive line going against That seattle front and you said, it you, know what are the.
Speaker 11: Answers let's get it out.
Speaker 15: Quickly part of What New ENGLAND'S dna has been for twenty five years is let's use empty and let's get the ball out of his. Hand five, protectors but we're going to give you quick. Answers, boom figure it, out throw it to the best matchup and let's see if we.
Speaker 11: Can move it that.
Speaker 15: Way the other thing to do is you start bringing people. In you have a tight, end you have a, back you chip and hammer. On the issue for them was particularly the left hand side rushing On. Campbell but you know you do those things by bringing extra people. In you have seven, protectors eight protectors in some cases nine, protectors where you're just you're loading it up that, way and just didn't seem like they did a lot of, that and you said. It the best way to alleviate the pass rushers you run at. Them you make them be run defenders, first and they weren't able to do that. Either but you, know let's Give seattle. Credit you know they've been, really really good all year, long and you, say, okay let's run it to the third best run defense in the. League you, know they cover really well on the back, end they pressure. You it was going to be a challenge and that's why we said that going In seattle is. Better but, Again i'm not so Sure New england did enough to adjust and give their quarterback and their team enough chances in that.
Speaker 11: Game and we saw. It we saw it throughout the.
Speaker 2: Game Jason garrett From Football night In. America would you rather have a good quarterback for thirty five million or a great quarterback for fifty?
Speaker 16: Five great for fifty, Five oh not even. Close, yeah great for fifty. Five those guys make such a.
Speaker 15: Difference you, know why did The rams have a real good opportunity to Beat Seattle.
Speaker 3: Because they Paid Matthew. Stafford he's just an elite.
Speaker 15: PLAYER i, mean this is a, rare rare football, player and so all those things we're talking, about getting the ball out of your, hand, quickly hand on the, pressures identifying the. LOOKS i, mean this guy does it in his, sleep and then he can throw.
Speaker 11: The ball like it's.
Speaker 15: Nothing so go back in the history of, football there's been Sixty Super. Bowls, now look at all The Super bowl winning teams, typically typically they have a great. Quarterback look at all the dynasties in the history of THE. Nfl it's great head. Coach, oh by the, way elite quarterbacks in The hall Of. Fame so to, me it's a no. Brainer if you got, one you pay. Him the worst thing is you're paying fifty five million dollars for a guy who's not.
Speaker 11: Elite that's where you're running.
Speaker 3: To issue any names you want to, name no at.
Speaker 15: All but you, know you get you get to that point where you say he's our, guy and.
Speaker 11: Ah, hell we got to pay. Him that's where you make the.
Speaker 15: Mistake you got to believe deep down that this is an elite player who's going to make a difference for your.
Speaker 3: Team but why do these.
Speaker 2: TEAMS i never would have, extended Uh, KYLER i never would have extended Too, well these are all THINGS i said in real, time UH. C. J. Stroud i'm not extending. HIM i Mean i'm going to make him prove that he is an elite quarterback here we just jump?
Speaker 3: Early why no?
Speaker 15: Doubt you, know you start to feel this, pressure you know from the, Outside oh you got a guy or reflashed for, you and you really got to be in your building and you have to evaluate, it and you have to evaluate it hard and, say, okay is this guy really the guy we want for the next ten years leading our. Franchise and just because they haven't done it yet does doesn't.
Speaker 11: Necessarily mean you say no to.
Speaker 15: That you know a lot of people, say, oh he hasn't done an he hasn't won. Yet, well, okay you have to pull back and independent of those, results say is that this our. Guy has he demonstrated the intangible, quality great, leader, tough all of. That does he have the physical ability to make a? Difference you, know the Great ron wolfline On Brett. Farr does he tilt the?
Speaker 11: Field you, know if.
Speaker 15: You're going to pay a guy fifty five million, dollars he'd better be a difference. Maker he better represent everything you want your. Organization AND i agree with. YOU i think they jumped the gun too much on these.
Speaker 2: Decisions and you start to look at the off. Season here Is pittsburgh going to bring Back Aaron. Rodgers would you bring Back Aaron rodgers if you were coaching The?
Speaker 15: Steelers, well IF i Were mike, McCarthy i Think i'd be better inclined to answer that. Question you, know he was with him for so long as we all, know SO i think that adds a little bit of a wrinkle to. IT i, THOUGHT i Thought aaron did a great, job you, know helping that team get to where they. Were but, again when you're bringing in a new coach and it's a new, Regime.
Speaker 11: Okay do we want to start? Over you, know.
Speaker 15: Maybe It's Aaron rodgers for a, year but you draft a quarterback high and, say, okay we're going to do This Patrick mahomes, thing you, know Like Alex smith was gonna was gonna keep the seat warm for our quarterback who's coming in the.
Speaker 11: Future maybe it's that.
Speaker 15: Decision BUT i don't say automatically we're kicking him to the. Curb he's been too good throughout his. Career he was too good this. Year and then the connection with McCarthy is an interesting wrinkle to.
Speaker 3: It but you have to have a plan going.
Speaker 2: Forward BUT i look At, MIAMI i don't know what their plan is is it Quinn ewers until they maybe find their? Quarterback Is Bryce? Young is he a big time let's extend him quarterback In? Carolina? Minnesota that seems to be a. Mess pittsburgh big question mark, There arizona big question mark, there and. There there's a lot of things that need to be answered. HERE i don't know if they will, be but that's just you, know a few a handful of.
Speaker 15: Teams, YEAH i agree with you, Completely and LIKE i, said you, know the only thing worth to not having a quarterback is having the wrong one that you're paying a lot of money. To so it's probably better to take a breath on some of these decisions and let them prove it to. You if they come back and prove it to you, Again, okay you know the evidence is, There BUT i do think you have to be careful because the obvious, question and the reason you ask me in the, beginning is if it's.
Speaker 11: Fifty five or thirty, five what are you doing with that twenty million?
Speaker 15: Dollars and are you able to build a defense Like seattle built because you put your resources over. There you need to put your quarterback in an environment where he can have. Success so if he's taking all the money and you're not paying linemen or playmakers or defensive. Players it's going to be harder for him to have. Success so you're better believe in the.
Speaker 3: Guy we Got Drew brees coming up next.
Speaker 2: Hour you pay, Him, well you can't pay him now because that that arm is. Gone but, UH i know you crossed paths with. Him you spent a lot of time With Drew brees at certain, points didn't.
Speaker 11: You, yeah we. Did you, know football history could have been.
Speaker 15: Different uh If Drew brees came To miami WHEN i was WHEN i was coaching down.
Speaker 11: There but you, know things all work out the way they.
Speaker 3: Do but how close was that that he was going to play For? Saban?
Speaker 11: OH i think it was really.
Speaker 15: Close you, know we went to we went To New orleans On Wayne heizenga's, plane and you, know he and his wife came back with.
Speaker 11: Us we had an amazing.
Speaker 15: Dinner you, know it's easy to say, now but we all we were in On Drew brees, obviously and you, know ultimately came down to a medical decision where they said he had a seventy five percent terrior's rotator cuff and he WANTED x number of dollars, guaranteed and you, Know i'll never Forget.
Speaker 11: We're not going to do, that you.
Speaker 15: Know and you know who's the one that said the same who said, that say it, again who said we're not going to do.
Speaker 11: That our coach was the guy who ultimately said.
Speaker 3: That, okay So saban said we're not going to give him what he.
Speaker 11: Wants, WELL i just think it was a bigger.
Speaker 15: Decision you, know he probably discussed disgusted with the doctors and with ownership and where he was physically and all of. That and you, know my contention all along IS i get, IT i certainly understand, it BUT i bet on certain guys coming back from injuries more than. Others and even though it was a severe injury To drew the fact that It's Drew brees makes you, think, huh this is the kind of guy who's going to do absolutely everything possible to get himself. Right and sure, enough he only threw for sixty thousand yards after we had those, discussions.
Speaker 2: Sixty two thousand to be exact. It but you guys Took Dante. Culpepper wasn't it wasn't he a medical risk as?
Speaker 3: Well he?
Speaker 11: Was he was and that was the tricky part of.
Speaker 15: It and it's a little bit to our discussion that we're having right now about. Quarterbacks you, know just because we weren't able to do the one thing didn't mean we necessarily had to do the other. Thing And dante was an amazing, player but such a big part.
Speaker 11: Of his game was his.
Speaker 15: Movement you, know he threw thirty nine touchdown passes two years before, that but so many of them were him knocking guys, away running extended, plays rocking to the ball down the. Field and he had a severe knee injury and he was not able to move like he was earlier in his, career and he just wasn't the same. Player and so you, know in that, situation you, Say, okay we can't have. Breeze do we necessarily have to do. This maybe it's better to keep the slate clean for now and then go make the best decision going. Forward and we chose not to do.
Speaker 2: That he had a great. SEASON i enjoyed The Super bowl coverage as. Well thank, you as always for your. Contributions you're the.
Speaker 11: Best thanks so much for having.
Speaker 2: Me thank, you, Buddy Jason. Garrett Football night In america and a Former cowboys head coach Under Notre dame football as. Well Sam donald's in that sweet. Spot you don't have to worry about that for another year at. Least but, hey if he has another great, year you have a playoff. Run, now all of a, Sudden sam will be twenty nine years of age And sam would probably be, saying how about fifty fifty five million and he will have earned. That that's WHERE i think people we give up on quarterbacks really. Early and you, know for a variety of. REASONS a lot of times that quarterback goes to a bad. Team you get bad, habits bad, results and confidence is. Shot then all of a, sudden you get kicked to the. Curb then you got to rebuild your. Confidence then you got to show that you can be a good team. Player then you get your, chance and then you go and then you get that thirty five million dollar. CONTRACT i, Mean Baker mayfield did this, Obviously Sam darnold has done, this AND i hope this is a pattern for other quarterbacks who get kicked to the. Curb get that. Opportunity don't price yourself out of being on a good. TEAM i Mean, sam on a good, TEAM i can have A b, quarterback AND i can have AN a, defense and my special teams were a.
Speaker 3: Plus AND i got.
Speaker 2: A, coach the first coach IN nfl history to call all the defensive plays while being the head, Coach mike. McDonald and he's not even forty years of, age so almost the defensive side Of sean mcvay's offensive. Genius you get that With mike McDonald getting that. COACH i know we talk about getting your, quarterback but getting that coach really really. Important we know, that BUT i don't think we spend enough time on did we get the right? Guy Like New england got the right. Guy everybody would Agree seattle got the right. Guy and there's other coaches around the league where you. Go you, Know girodmeo didn't get the right, Guy, Yes.
Speaker 12: Marvin so If Sam donald goes on a run for the next maybe four or five, years people won't even remember that he was A. Jet they can, remember, man Remember Sam, DONALD i played for The. Seahawks, safe they make it to Another Super bowl and he plays good football for the next five years In.
Speaker 2: Seattle, no they'll remember Because jets fans will lament the fact that they let him. Go so it'll still be. There, well they won't remember that he was a backup In San francisco or he was on the scout team In, carolina but they'll remember that he played for The, jets because we won't let The jets fans forget.
Speaker 7: That, Yes, bull you're all you're kind of both right, there because it'll be a footnote that he's A. Jet but the more success That donald, has the more the he came from The jets and overcame The jets will be replayed and replayed with every story about.
Speaker 3: Him all, right let's take a.
Speaker 2: Break we'll get to more phone calls coming Up Drew brees in the final.
Speaker 3: Hour we're back after.
Speaker 1: This Fox Sports radio has the best sports talk lineup in the. Nation catch all of our shows At Foxsports radio dot com and within The iHeartRadio. App SEARCH fsr to listen.
Speaker 2: Live now that THE nfl season is, over we kind of, go, uh what's been going on in.
Speaker 3: The other sports?
Speaker 2: Here college, basketball THE, NBA nhl getting ready for, baseball with spring, training The olympics going.
Speaker 3: On there's a problem in THE, nba and that has to do with.
Speaker 2: Tanking, now normally you'll get maybe one or two teams tanking for the opportunity to get somebody special Like Cooper, Flagger Victor. Winbinyama and you've probably got three or four players in college basketball this year who will come in and contribute right. Away and Aj debansa is probably going to be a guy that's going to. CONTRIBUTE i, Mean utah would love to just keep him In utah and that would be tank.
Speaker 3: Worthy AND i Think utah is building.
Speaker 2: Something you, know they Got Lauri markinen and they Got Jaron jackson. Junior the third is, WELL i think they're playing four. Bigs. Uh you Got Ish, Bailey Ace, bailey who's Ish Ish, smith wasn't?
Speaker 11: He?
Speaker 2: YES i think he was traded more times than any other player in history or played on more.
Speaker 3: Teams Ish. SMITH i think the most teams THE, nba, yeah is. Fifteen So Ace bailey out Of, rutgers you got.
Speaker 2: Him and if you're tanking and maybe you get one of these guys and maybe you got something. There but teams are being. Obvious it feels like like we're just gonna sit our team. Down we're not going to play in this. Game, okay like back to. Back, NOW i understand if if let's Say i'm a catcher And i've got a day night doubleheader And i'm going to catch both. Games, Okay i'm asking a lot of. YOU i don't, know if you, know private, planes good training and food and, health and you got to do back to. Back we're, like oh my, god back to. Back, yeah that's part of the job. Here AND i don't think you can guilt players into wanting to. PLAY i just think we're past. That it's a different generation and maybe they're just being smarter That, hey you, know the way we, play the, physicality, athleticism everything about.
Speaker 3: This you, KNOW i need more.
Speaker 2: Breaks you, Know lebron's missed what eighteen, games won't qualify for first second third Team ALL nba first time in his. Career so even a guy who takes care of himself as much As lebron, has you, know they're all, fallible, Yes.
Speaker 12: Marvin, Yeah AND i think there's a difference between tanking and just being. Sorry like The Washington, wizards they're not tanking if that was the case they've been taking for the last twenty.
Speaker 3: Years they're just not. Good, yeah but they could.
Speaker 2: Be this can be an organizational tank that we're going to bring in players that aren't very, good and then we sit them, like Is Trey young? Playing he's not, OKAY i, mean this is the guy who's averaging with twenty seven and. TEN i don't, Know, like after a, while if they're not, Playing i'm not watching and you got to win me. Back And I'm i'm AN nba fan for sixty. Years but after a, while you're, like who's. Playing imagine you go to The spurs. Game now you got treated To Victor, winbnyama but it's, like No, lebron No. Luca that might be the one time that you're gonna go and you're gonna take the family to see.
Speaker 3: Them.
Speaker 6: YEAH i think it's important though that we sort of separate people into some. Categories maybe Because Trey young is twenty seven years Old lebron is forty.
Speaker 2: One, yeah BUT i don't know What washington's doing With Trey young because you trade for, him AND i, mean this is going to be out the rest of the. Season Anthony, davis they traded for. HIM i think he's a healthy scratch the rest of the year or coming back from an. Injury they're deciding they're just not gonna play. HIM i don't know what the what the commission can. DO i, mean we've been down this. Road we're going to continue to go down this. Road the regular season doesn't mean. Anything AND i go back To Greg popovich and he talked about that because he didn't care if, they you, know were in first place or fourth. Place he didn't care in the. Standings he just wanted his guys rested to win. Championships and that's what they. Did he accomplished the goal that they set out to win a. Championship now we may not like along the way that, hey we're got a road trip In. Miami Hey, timmy and you Know, parker why don't you guys stay back? Here Like and that's when the commissioner find him like a couple hundred thousand.
Speaker 3: Dollars, Yeah, Paul.
Speaker 7: There are so many stories about this in just the past two. Days our Buddy Chris mannox of S i wrote one yesterday The Utah jazz were in a game where they were up three points to start the Fourth they set three of their starters for the entire fourth, quarter so they're doing everything they can to lose the, game and they won that.
Speaker 3: Game was that Against?
Speaker 7: Miami, yes and three starters when a three point game. Site that means it's obvious you're not competing in that.
Speaker 3: Game, yeah BUT i don't know what you can do about.
Speaker 2: It and, look you KNOW nbc And peacock paid a lot of money for THE. Nba, uh you, know we got inside THE, Nba we Got charles and those guys come in to the mother. SHIP i, mean people are spending money and you know what is the product that you get to go? See that's the, unfortant you, know unfortunate part of. This and look WHEN i came up with the suggestion to the, commissioner how about sixty five games to qualify for postseason? Honors like can we motivate them? MONETARILY i don't even know if that. Matters but you'll get a guy, who, hey IF i make, first, second third Team ALL, nba this kicks. In OR i can't you, know qualify to win THE mvp UNLESS i play in at least sixty five. Games, WELL i don't think you can be THE mvp if you don't play in sixty five or more. Games but THE nba has got a real issue here of probably five to seven teams who were tanking.
Speaker 3: Right before our veryes.
Speaker 2: AND i don't know what you're gonna find them you're gonna Take, well you can't take away there if you took away their draft, pick unless you came up with something. Different but you know it's not the the two worst. TEAMS i remember when The Phoenix suns And Milwaukee bucks had a coin toss and the winner Got Kareem Abdul. Jabbar it was just a coin toss and The sons Got Neil. WALK i mean that that's what it. Was it wasn't like and maybe they were tanking Back. Walk, yeah who won?
Speaker 16: That?
Speaker 7: Trade dan break it.
Speaker 2: Down i'd, say, well and you Know i'm gonna Say kareem got the P, YEAH i Think kareem won, that but it was a coin. Toss now you have the lottery and Then dallas wins the lottery With Cooper. Flag like you just you try to fig out how can we do this and be fair to everybody here without rewarding the teams that are just flat out.
Speaker 3: Tanking, marvin you got a suggestion.
Speaker 12: Here not a one because so, say, Look lucas, out But luca's been out like he's legit. Injury he hasn't played in a week and a. Half so what do you do?
Speaker 2: There BUT i don't know If yannis how hurt he, is unless it's his. Feelings and you know they don't want to get him hurt because they want to trade him in the off. Season you, know these guys stay out a lot longer THAN i remember players staying. Out and how DO i tell if you're lying to? ME i can SAY i got an upset. Stomach fritzie pulls that all the, time AND i believe.
Speaker 5: HIM i do pull, that.
Speaker 3: But you do it in a convincing. Way i'm very. Convincing we're, unfortunately, Yes, marvin.
Speaker 12: BUT i might Give giannis the benefit of the doubt more so than someone Like, kawhi who's known for sitting. Out giannest there's never been a thing of him staying out for long stretches of.
Speaker 2: TIME i don't know this calf injury is staying with, him and that would be buyer.
Speaker 3: Beware he is in his thirteen.
Speaker 2: Season, yeah, okay but you KNOW i got a factor that in If i'm trading for, HIM i can't get him and all of a sudden he goes Calfs.
Speaker 3: Okay don't they have? Calf what's the?
Speaker 2: Term?
Speaker 4: TODD i heard calf management taking load, management just taking out.
Speaker 5: Loaded what?
Speaker 3: Happened what are they?
Speaker 2: Farmers you, know? Ranchers we got calf? Uh good, times good. Times Drew, brees first Ballot hall Of, famer will join us and talk about getting the.
Speaker 3: News more of your phone calls as.
Speaker 2: Well two hours in the books on This, Wednesday final one coming.
Speaker 15: Up