Speaker 1: Yeah, you're listening to in the Vets Office with doctor Josie Horchak. All right, everyone, welcome back to in the Vets Office. I am your host, doctor Josie, and today we have a very special guest. You may know him from the Bachelorette, but there's a lot more to him than just reality TV. He's a best selling author, a business and financial expert, an entrepreneur, and the host of his own hit podcast, Trading Secrets, which I may or may not be going on in the very near future. Oh yeah, and most importantly of all, and the reason he's here today is he is a dog dad. So the newly adopted Teddy Welcome to in the Vet's Office. Jason Tartet, thank you so much for having me. I'm happy you're here.
Speaker 2: This is cool. This is It's also like wild how many people we know like like this all just came together so quickly. It's kind of crazy small world out there.
Speaker 1: I know, Nashville especial.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, it's like, what's not six people's like six s greous separations.
Speaker 1: One totally Yeah, I saw you adopted Teddy, and I messaged one of our really good mutual friends and I was like, hey, I met this guy, might be interested in a concierge. Vette like, let me reach out. So I text you and You're like, I might be moving. I don't really know. I'm like, no worries. Then I'm like, hey, we could pro rate this if you want, you know, me being a business girl, and.
Speaker 2: Why you said that? Okay, So let me tell you about you talked about red flag these texts right there? How many is that that is? Okay?
Speaker 1: Eight hundred and fourteen?
Speaker 2: Well, I am the worst at texting. I don't know. You said you can, ok we can pro rate.
Speaker 1: Let's talk.
Speaker 2: We can talk about I do New York City and Nashville like a pro ray from when I'm just here.
Speaker 1: Absolutely my clients close.
Speaker 2: The deal in trading secrets.
Speaker 1: You're going to close the deal. And and so then I'm sitting there and you haven't responded yet, and I'm like, oh, man, like I'm stressing about season three. I need more guests. So then I send you a voice memo. You're busy. I don't hear back from you. No big deal. That night, I go out like this guy.
Speaker 2: Guys, what of this sucks?
Speaker 1: So then we go out. I go out that evening, I meet up with my good girlfriend who's here in town with her sister, Kelly Flanagan, and you show up at the bar and I'm like, oh my god, this guy. I've texted him, I have voice memoed him, and now I'm at this bar. I look like I'm stalking this guy. I was like, hello, I'm doctor, Josie.
Speaker 2: Josie, I was like a doctor. I'm like, wait a sec what what like.
Speaker 1: Your the one has been blowing me up. Anyways, I'm glad that we met, and I promise I'm not a stalker.
Speaker 2: No, that is it's a I mean again, small world, right everyone, by the way, everybody and I have friends, wags, walks, my train, everyone in door as like you're the best, Like you're the best. My biggest issue, though, is I'm in this weird position where I'm trying to figure out am I going to move to New York City or am I stay in Nashville. And I'm like toying with all the ideas, but the idea of the concierge pet service makes like perfect sense, especially Teddy goes freaking nuts at the that. It's just I gotta feel like everything in my life, which is crazy, even bet services. You can't figure shit out until you have your foundation, right. So that's like I gotta get the stone down and then can like build from there. So we're gonna work it. We're gonna work something out there.
Speaker 1: I can't wait. And I want to talk about your move to New York and what they might look like for your Teddy as well.
Speaker 2: Yes, your opinion.
Speaker 1: Yes, we'll discuss before we dive into all things Teddy. I like to start this podcast with the case of the week and this kind of just like opens up what life is like in the trenches, if you will, for the listeners. And so this particular case, there was a guy, this is probably about a year ago. A guy was walking his dog off leash in each EASTU leash, East Nashville.
Speaker 2: I think I know this story.
Speaker 1: Do you know this?
Speaker 2: I only said like four things and I think I know.
Speaker 1: Oh boy, you know what happens next?
Speaker 2: Yeah, isn't this this how small Nashville is?
Speaker 1: Okay? If this story is right, well I'm going to be shocked. If you know this.
Speaker 2: Maybe it is one of your class classes that heats it up, okay, because it's a successful thing.
Speaker 1: Well, this is before I was concierge. But still, oh, great guy, great guy. Okay. So he's walking his dog off leash. And this, by the way, for everyone listening, I don't care how good your dog is, Like drivers are crazy. They still want to like sniff and get into things. Put your dog on a leash. It like gives me heart palpitation seeing them running around off leash. Anyways, this dog, he notices is sniffing in a bush. He goes to kind of see, like, what are you looking? Like, what are you sniffing at? And the dog pops back up. He has like something plastic in his mouth, and he sees plastic and white. The dog fwallows it. This happens all the time. He's like, maybe it's trash, maybe it's a napkin. We'll see, we'll see. They get home about a half hour later. The dog is super agitated. He's pacing around the house. He's just acting really strange. And so he calls us and I tells us what's going on, and we say, yeah, you should definitely bring him in. Let us take a look at him. The dog comes to the clinic and he has the highest heart rate I have ever heard in a dog. It was like three hundred beats for a minute. He is panting full body trimmers, pupils are huge. He has a temperature through the roof and and a young dog. We always think, what have you gotten into? What kind of talks in We drug test him and come to find out he an entire bag of cocaine.
Speaker 2: Stop it, This is not the story I heard.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say that the insane just.
Speaker 2: In the park there's a bag of cocaine sitting around it.
Speaker 1: It was on the streets. He was walking down the sidewalk. And we have seen this time and time again a lot of times. It'll be like an edible, like weed. Edibles for whatever reason will be like dropped and on the street. This is definitely my first time of a dog eating an entire bag of cocaine.
Speaker 2: What do you do well the dog?
Speaker 1: I mean, you can give it like special muscle relaxes, but we had to hospitalize. We sent it right to the er, to the ICU. They do like tons of ivy fluids to kind of flush the elter system. He ended up like seizing for multiple days in a row, like full blown overdose. And I'm like, I want to say that he did great and went on to be fine, but he didn't. It did not end well. I'm so sorry that I brought you to this podcast to tell you this horrible story. But I think that this just really reiterates how important it is to have your pet on a leash, and even when they're on a leash, like keep an eye on like what they're getting into, because like you do see this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm I'm a huge leash guy, just like I think you have to be. That is so sad. The well, sorry that I was gonna say that I thought it was. It was the same start of the story. Very well trained dog, service animal, smartest breeds out there, no leash, which is typical I guess for this owner. And he went up to a girl there at the park and he's playing with the girl and the girl was like it was out of sight of the owner, I guess, And the girl said he was the dog was amazing. And then he gets distracted and all of a sudden he hears shots, gunshots.
Speaker 1: Oh I know the story too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this was Percy Warner Park. And he goes over and then and then guy that was nearby said that he felt threatened by the dog and the girl was like, this was the sweetest dog in the world. That dog did nothing. I was the eyewitness. There was nothing.
Speaker 1: There were multiple eyewitnesses.
Speaker 2: Multiple eye witnesses saying there was no attack, There was no nothing, and this guy took out a gun and killed the dog, probably broad daylight at a very like well known safe part, which is just it's I mean, there's a lot to tackle within that situation, right, Like, there's a lot of different areas you could talk through, but you know it does there's the theme from the other one is.
Speaker 1: Like leash exactly.
Speaker 2: Obviously there's a lot more issues in that circumstance, but that's yeah, there's so much factor, yeah, unpacked there, but the leash thing, it's really.
Speaker 1: Speaking of leash. Yes, talk about Teddy.
Speaker 2: Talk about Teddy Man.
Speaker 1: So all the listeners know I do a ton with wags and walks and that is where you got Teddy from. Yes, do you know? Tell us about him, like what's his age? Do you know his breed? And what is his backstory?
Speaker 2: Okay, so he is he's ten months when I got him. I've had him for a month now, so eleven months. That's all prediction, right, you guys decide that based on teeth. Yeah, okay, so that's what they told me based on teeth. His back His backstory is wild. I actually haven't shared this yet. He he in November, and I wish I had the notes in front of me so I got this perfectly correct. But in November, his owner was arrested, and when he was arrested, it was a pretty serious charge. And at that point that owner had the two options to give the dog up.
Speaker 1: Do you know what the charge was? No, like, did he commit homicide or something?
Speaker 2: I like, trust me, I'm gonna find out.
Speaker 1: We have to know.
Speaker 2: Because I don't have any information. I'm gonna I'm gonna go true crime because I love true grind. So he gets arrested, it's a serious charge, and then he has two options to surrender the dog. It'll go to a shelter to rescue, or a family member can take the dog. He wouldn't do either option. As a result of that, he then has to go in a specific type of shelter. In this shelter from when I was told it was an outdoor shelter. Now I had a roof, but it was outdoors. So from November to February. Teddy was only in this shelter outdoors through the entire winter until a decision was made on the case. He was held in custody. A decision was made in February.
Speaker 1: I believe he was like in doggy foster care.
Speaker 2: He was in doggy foster care. Yeah, except yeah, sounds even like a little bit worse. Yeah, And they I have pictures of him like this in this like small area and it's not great. And then when the when the guy was found guilty, that is when Waggs was able to like the Wags had their eye on him. The second he was found guilty, Weggs could take him. And it was the day that he arrived. It was the next day I came in. So that's like, are you.
Speaker 1: Just going there? Were you looking for a dog or are you going to do like social media stuff? How did that?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I had my ex fiance and I had two dogs together, and I don't want to get into that on this podcast, but long and short, they're in a good, healthy and happy place with her and I hadn't seen them since May of last year, and so I have been like really like having a void in my heart for dogs and It was February thirteenth, and the mailman left two dog bones at my front door and I was like I can't. I like, like, I literally and I took a video of it. I'm like, I'm dying right now. And Wags and Walks actually reached out. They're like, hey, why don't you come volunteer and just come spend some time with dogs and like maybe they'll put a smile on your face on Valentine's Day. So I was like, you know what, You're right, And typically my days are just warped and packed and back to back meetings. I canceled everything and I was like, I'm coming in tomorrow. And so I went into Wags when I went John Gurney and we went to go we played with all these dogs, and then I met Teddy that day and that was the again. He got there the day before. He wasn't even registered in their system, and I was like, oh my god, shit, shit, it's not good, this is not good. It's so funny media. Oh. It was the second I put my eyes on him and I was like, oh no, oh no.
Speaker 1: I don't know if love it first sight for humans exists, maybe, but with dogs.
Speaker 2: It was instantly, I was like, I looked at him like, oh no, I walked away. I did it like that, and I'm like, ohh And I came out and we had soul plays. So I'm like, all right, take a breather. And I promised myself I would if anything, I would walk out, take a day or two. Took a day or two, went back to play with him for like three hours, walked them everything. I'm like, he's mine and so that was like, that was yo. His breed. He looks like a gold but he's definitely got something else. No way. His DNA testing's in right now, so I don't even know what he is. But I don't know. Maybe Collie, I don't know. Everyone's got a different opinion on it.
Speaker 1: How how much does he weigh?
Speaker 2: He weighs he's tall, Like off the ground, he's tall, but he's around he's around sixty pounds.
Speaker 1: Does he have on his back feet? Does he have back do claws?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: I could he does.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I could see him having great Pyrenees And.
Speaker 2: That's what that's what the Wag's found. That's what Catherine said.
Speaker 1: I could see that. I was like, what, I've never seen him in person, but.
Speaker 2: That's a that's a big dog, big dog.
Speaker 1: And they were they are bred to protect chicken coops. Oh interesting, yeah, I know, or like farm animals.
Speaker 2: So what would that mean behaviorally?
Speaker 1: Behaviorally, it means that he they're a very smart he is smart, probably too smart for it's a good yeah, and that they just can be a little bit more like like they're just can be protective.
Speaker 2: They're protective, they're very stimulated, they're very he's very alpha. Yeah, okay, yeah, we've had gon have to check that. No, okay, so recently.
Speaker 1: Yeah, was he neutered at wags?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: Okay, interesting? And how I mean he's ten months old. I have this theory that dogs come from rescue and they either come to you a little bit more like mellow, and then as they get more comfortable, they're like let's go and they're crazy, or they come and they're like super hyper stimulated already like really on edge and then they start to calm down. Yes, how is he?
Speaker 2: He is the definition of extremely stimulated, like he is a wild man. He is. Oh yeah, and you could tell, like right, dogs are packed animals. He definitely whatever packed he was in, he was the leader and you could tell it's his intention and energy is like so kind and sweet and fun and smiley. But he is also never been told no in his whole life. So like you could tell he reat wherever he was with this dude that's in jail. That dude got his show run by Rango, which.
Speaker 1: Was Commitment murder Y Ringo's the Box.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Rango was the bike. Rango's got street red and now he's teddy. But yeah, so he has a lot of training to be done. But he's such a sweet, like kind boy too, Like he's got such a soft side to him.
Speaker 1: I we were talking about this a little bit before, but I tell owners, it is so common that they come to me and they have a new puppy and the puppy is like eight, ten, twelve weeks old. They're like, it's so cute, it'd sleep so much. I have the perfect puppy. They come back six months later and they're like, what have I done? This dog is a monster, like I won't get me, help me, And I like, this is very normal from months eight to twelve, maybe him like eighteen, they're just on a tear.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're exactly, And he wasn't you know, he just wasn't the way so Nicki. The way Nikki kind of explained it, She's like, for the for.
Speaker 1: The listeners, Nicki is the trainer that we had on season two. She's actually coming back.
Speaker 2: Oh she's yeah, she's so good.
Speaker 1: She's amazing. People loved her. They were like, bring her back.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh my gosh.
Speaker 1: The people the listeners know Nicki.
Speaker 2: Yeah. When she talks, I don't say. I'm just like yes, like writing notes, just keep telling me. I think the way she explains it is very helpful too, because it's the psychology and then the action which is really helpful. But what she was saying was that like thin, imagine like a human like I just dropped, like name a random city in a country anywhere, Tokyo, Copenhagen, Okay, Copenhagen, Tokyo, wherever you put yourself there, and you're just like go figure it out. You'd be like look, you know, you'd be stimulating looking everywhere do I go? What's the currency? What's the restaurant? Where do I stay? You just like you don't know, ha ha, It's like that's your dog right now. And imagine you know Tokyo, Copenhagen, and I bring like the best a very good friend who knows everything. They speak dual languages, they know the spots in the restaurants. What are you gonna do. You're gonna let them lead and then you're gonna follow their lead and then they're gonna show you everywhere and you're gonna be safe and sound. This is what the dog needs, Like you have to be the leader and these dogs love you. Most dogs don't respect their owners, and you have to develop a respect with your dog. And so we've gone through a lot of like intense training, everything from create training to opening the door letting him come out when he's told to come out. But then it's like this constant re establishing relevance, right, which is like, so he gets out of the crate, Now we got to re establish relevance. Then we got to open the door, make sure he doesn't go out of the door without being told. Then the leash training, and there's been a lot of ups and downs and challenges and lefts and rights. But the biggest thing that we're working on is he's mouthy. And I didn't realize that, like if a dog is like what Nikki had said, if a dog is biting your your leash. It's an extension of you. It's like they're biting you. And if they're putting your fingers or hand in their mouth in any capacity, even if it's like playful and like they think it's a toy, like they're not biting to hurt, but it's like like it's the ultimate sign of disrespect, like they that doesn't happen. And so he does that. And then he also his other thing that he's what we're really working on, is cars come by and he will rip after a car like it's a moving toy. So which is a lot, right, because the consequences of both of those actions, if not appropriately handled, could be severe injury or death or where whatever else could be from that. So those are like two things we're taken like super seriously.
Speaker 1: That's so interesting. I love the analogy of going to a new city being totally overstimulated and we are there. It's so interesting because our first instinct is, Oh, I'm just gonna love you, just going to love you through it, but they don't. They want your love, of course, and I think there's like a balance, but we also have to be their structure, right, which means we have to set boundaries and we have to you know, be kind of strict. And that is so I see owners struggle with that.
Speaker 2: I struggle with that whole hard. I'm like, I don't know, it's good. It's got to be good raining for a child because it is like say, like being like a little tough on him, yes, and resetting boundaries and doing things I know that are irritating him, but for his best interest and mine, it's so hard.
Speaker 1: And when we have human children, Yeah, thank you, Nikki, we are ready.
Speaker 2: Yes, thank you, Nikki. We appreciate it. Basic because he's mouth. The one thing that we're working on is like the figure.
Speaker 1: Eight, which is I don't know this, okay.
Speaker 2: So it's you take essentially you take the the the lea the lead. It's not the leash. It's like that lead thing you know, the rope that these yeah, no, no, no no, it's just essentially it's a leash. So it's a leash, but it's just a rope, okay. And you you bring it enough of it down under what do you call this the muzzle the muzzle and you you turn it and then you put the it's the rope over the muzzle. So it's just it's just a rope. It's like one like kind of like leash over the muzzle, but it's like tying the back and it helps them with getting comfortable that they don't have control. It doesn't hurt, doesn't create any pain, but it's a new way of like when we're walking, you're not going to pick up that stick, Like you're not going to do that. And it's a constant theme with Nicki's training of like you have to lead, you have to be in front, but also you're almost like a horse, like your body language, everything you do, they're reading. So if I'm on my phone, he's going to know I'm distracted. He's going to start leading all these little things. So like the thing that's the most annoying is practicing is literally me walking a foot forward. If he gets in front of me, we turn around, just back and forth, so he knows at all times he needs to be behind me. So there's a bunch of stuff.
Speaker 1: But my German shepherd went to Nicki and so he's upstairs right now sleeping because we just spent all morning out front. If he gets ahead of me, we turn around and go back the other direction. If he has made so many strides, but there's still times where he's like, oh another dog, yeah, and yeah. I mean it's like you're like, I'm burning a hole in the sidewalk from going five paces forward five paces back.
Speaker 2: It's but it's like the patients and the consistency. One thing I thought was interesting. I don't know if I don't think she'd care if I shared this. I just found it fascinating is when she's doing this. What I love is she's explaining the psychology of like what's happening to the doc and he was being we were going she was he was throwing a fit, biting the leash and like trying to play tug of war, and she went down got his energy. It was a whole thing. He was being a brat and she was doing this thing with his mouth and it didn't create pain, but it created this signal. I was like, what are you doing? What is that? I've never seen that, And she's like, when I do this, he's going to instantly stop. And I was like, almost like imagine a pressure point, but not a pressure point. I asked her to explain it. She explained it and on the on a dog's muzzle like on the top muzzle. I don't know what you call that the upper what do you refer to that?
Speaker 1: A snout?
Speaker 2: Yeah, the snout, but like that where their teeth are on the top versus the bottom, Like what would you call this versus?
Speaker 1: This is the maxilla?
Speaker 2: Okay, so you open their muzzle the maxilla. Yeah, And she just put her hand in the maxilla and then the fingers kind of press stuff on the gums, just the maxilla. And I was like, tell me more, and she's like, well, and I hope I get this right. This is what she said. I believe is when dogs fight, a dog is like kind of winning because that's where they're gonna bite. So it's it's almost like the equivalent of like if you're if you're in a fight with a man or a woman or whatever, yeah, and they put you in a headlock, and you're just like, Okay, if someone puts me in a head lock, I'm fine. I'm not going I'm not like bleeding, I'm not that, but I'm like, okay, I gotta submit.
Speaker 1: You got white yeah.
Speaker 2: Like all right, white flag, like you you won this and so things like that.
Speaker 1: That just you wouldn't know and we don't learn that from that school. I don't learn that.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So next time I'm going to fight with my sister, I'm gonna stick my hands in her mask. I'll show her Morgan's shaking her head at me. Carla, if you're listening, watch out. That is funny. I mean, that is really interesting though, and a lot of it is just and I do love it. She explains the psychology because a lot of times you're like, do this, do that, but you're like, why am I doing this? It doesn't really make sense. When you can think through it, it's so much more helpful.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly. And she like even things like the couches, Like dogs don't know what a couch is. We allow them to get a couch. Once they get on a couch, they are rated our like e ie with us. Yeah, And so she's like, if you get to the point that the dog come in the couch, it's got to be earned, right, you know. And so like they sit and then you let them come and if you want them off, there's a demand for them to get off. So it's the whole thing is just fascinating, but it's a.
Speaker 1: Huge learning experience humans.
Speaker 2: Oh my, and I also realized like, how you know I've had dogs in the past, and I'm just like, wow, how much I.
Speaker 1: Was not I am a horrible pet owner. It really makes.
Speaker 2: You think and I know, I know, So it's a lot.
Speaker 1: How is it going. When we had first talked about him, he was limping a little bit.
Speaker 2: Yes, so he still is. It's interesting because like his limp comes on and off. We have and this was my last gold in. Poor guy was kicked in the hip and was found in the streets. Bro yeah, and found in the streets with a broken hip. He got surgery and then we rescued him. Because of that, I'm hyper aware of the hips on a dog, like whenever am I walking him too much? Is he on the concrete versus the grass? Because I would always want to if he dragged it. So when I first picked him up, I was like, something's up with his hip, But it wasn't too drastic, and then it started to get worse, but then it got better with pain, medication and inflammation. So we got an X ray done. The x ray is a big question mark because the vet said it's good. The radiologist said it shows like an ACL tear. Now we have wags has orthopedic that they suggest doctor Nunley. Doctor Nunley is like, it's inconclusive. So I have three different opinions from oh, I got to send those to you want to gain your opinion. Three opinions and all of them are up in the air. So what we're doing is doctor Dunley is I guess he works all over, So we're setting an appointment with him for Teddy to go in to see if there's an ACL tear.
Speaker 1: We can feel it. Yeah, it's so interesting because in humans, well I guess, and animals too. When we take X rays, we can see how does the femur fit into the hip socket, and that tells us do they have hYP dysplasia or not. That's super easy to rule in or out. But at ligament tear we instead of ACL, we call it CCL and dog that's right, I know something else it's an ACL same thing. We can't really see that. We can't see that ligament on X ray. Soft tissue structures don't really radiate like bones do, and so we can only see evidence of a CCL rupture. So like, is there a little bit of swelling which we can see on X ray? Is are the bones like slightly out of position. But we can't say, oh, yeah, slam dunk, the CCL is torn. So we do put a lot of weight on our exam and when we move the different bones in the leg, if there's a lot of we call it laxity, but like a lot of extra movement, then that would be give us more evidence that yeah, this probably is a torn CCL.
Speaker 2: Do dogs do MRIs.
Speaker 1: They Doris, would you do an MRI? You absolutely could. I would say yeah. I would say, we're gonna know by the time we do the exam and take the X right, it's gonna be pretty solid. If it ever gets to the point where I've had a dog who had this horrible swelling in his front leg. We didn't know why we couldn't get to the bottom of it, and we did an MRI. So we do have that as an option. But you're that's like way more expensive than an X ray an exam.
Speaker 2: Yeah. What's interesting is like it's hard. I don't know. I guess we'll have to see because there's some days he's not phase it all.
Speaker 1: On other days he limps a little bit, say a little bit, is he like toe touching? Like what does that mean like limping on his toe or is he limping like not putting any weight on it at all?
Speaker 2: Toe touching? Okay, but like that same day he'll be doing bunny jumps fifteen feet in the air, like trying to run, and I'm slowing them out there. We're pretty since I went to the doctor, we're like really slowing down exercise a little bit because they suggested two to three weeks. You know, obviously he's a teenage wild man, so give him some love and get him out there. But like, let's let's keep an eye on it, and then he's taking anti inflammation stuff.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, I mean, and so even if they tear their acls, it doesn't have to be a full tear. It could be a partial tear too, That's one thing to think about. And so with that it can kind of wax and weig like my husband Cody toward his ACL and then went scuba diving the week after. So they can tear it and still get around.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: So I would say I wouldn't let that like sway me one way or another.
Speaker 2: Okay, but it should I mean, it should get like if it's a tear, we'll find out here. So the next week or two it should get fixed though.
Speaker 1: Right, yes, and a young, young, one active, million trillion percent fix it. Yeah, absolutely, because if you don't fix it then they're really predisposed to arthritis in their joint. They kind of hobble around their whole life. And we have such like the surgery now as like so it's a well oiled machine. They do great. Definitely worth doing.
Speaker 2: The idea of him two weeks though, like not being able to walk, it breaks that.
Speaker 1: It's like twelve weeks.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, twelve weeks.
Speaker 1: It's twelve weeks of recovery.
Speaker 2: The first this poor guy, he's got so much. He's going to the therapist for dogs. He's gonna need to talk to someone.
Speaker 1: Sounds like he could use a concier therapist. I do not geting. I would. I can talk to him.
Speaker 2: Can you tell me.
Speaker 1: About your feelings?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: So really the first two to four weeks on a leash in and out to go potty right back inside.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, that is a form of torture for this dog.
Speaker 1: And then four weeks you can put them on a leash and like go around the block of eight weeks a little bit more twelve weeks back to normal activity.
Speaker 2: I really hope it's not Tor.
Speaker 1: I hope so too. And honestly, I mean he's so young and rambunctious right now. Like you, it's okay, you're not like neglecting by not doing anything, especially since he's not limping on a like regular basis.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're in. It's all we're doing is waiting for this with yes, which is gonna be the next week or two.
Speaker 1: That Jeff, that's doctor Nunley's heirs. Name is Jeff.
Speaker 2: Oh Jeff.
Speaker 1: Shout out to Jeff.
Speaker 2: Let's go tell us what's.
Speaker 1: Going on that he needs you. He needs a therapist, an orthopedist. Action here got him for one month.
Speaker 2: One month. He gets more packages than me. He's got a lot of fans out there. People love speeches. It's like a speech. They love to.
Speaker 1: Start monetizing on my dogs.
Speaker 2: Honestly, there's like when I walked out to come here, FedEx showed up and then there's like four or five packages. Everyone was for him. Everyone.
Speaker 1: This is amazing.
Speaker 2: He is just thriving. Get up here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, camera putting you on social media?
Speaker 2: Okay to know, Yeah, she's doing she should be doing. She could do a lot.
Speaker 1: She really could.
Speaker 2: They're actually for the agency that I own. We some dogs like Doug the Pug, or I mean, Doug the Pug kills it. Dog the Pug Like Doug the Pug makes the og. Majority of humans in this world does.
Speaker 1: And he's like he has more followers than Miss Peaches. He's the og. Doug has a new little sister named Dory.
Speaker 2: Yes, I saw it, Doug her now, I know.
Speaker 1: They're so cute.
Speaker 2: Cute.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you're thinking about moving to New York City, which is no secret. Yeah, and how will I mean is Teddy like a deciding factor in that, like, oho, I want a yard for him in Nashville or yeah? Is that playing into your decision at all?
Speaker 2: It's definitely playing into my decision. And I brought him to New York already, and he did great New York, which is good. He'd like acclimated pretty well and we didn't have any issues or anything. If I did live in New York, it would have to be like Park, would have to be within extreme close proximity. I think what I'm where I'm leaning towards right now is buying a place in Nashville, having a nice backyard, spending a lot of time here and then having more of like an office space in New York that I could get the best podcast, have an area to cook and sleep, so I could kind of like work as like a an office and that I could do both. I'll go up there to work a little bit and then come back here to kind of relax and have residency here.
Speaker 1: That's smart tax purposes too. Yeah, listening, just yeah, look away. We I lived in downtown Chicago prior to moving here and took care of all the pets in downtown Chicago, which is just as urban as New York City, and they I had a great day in there. So you can have big dogs. Yeah, she's a big Yeah. So you can have dogs that live in those settings and they do great. I feel like people are like, how could you put that dog in an apartment? Well, she gets three walks a day and you know, you have access to parks, so I wouldn't. I mean, they can live a very nice, normal lifestyle in an urban setting like that.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's good to know. I should definitely get them trained, fully trained.
Speaker 1: For going to say that. First, We're gonna need like a couple of years with Nikki. Yeah, I was gonna that'll be that would be something else. Can you imagine him just like tearing down the streets?
Speaker 2: Oh gosh, well he did. He was actually really good with the walks and stuff, which I'm surprised by.
Speaker 1: If he likes to chase cars.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he likes to chase cars. One session with Nikki. He doesn't chase cars anymore.
Speaker 1: The old maximum point.
Speaker 2: He does not chase cards anymore. He's doing just fine with that now, which is good.
Speaker 1: I love that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Okay.
Speaker 1: We always sort of wrap up our episodes with a segment called paw and Order, So we're gonna do pawn Order. And this is three things I would never do with my pets as a veterinarian, and I think these will be good for you as I've kind of tailored them to like a new pet owner with a dog. So Number one, I wouldn't follow directions on the back of the bag when feed my pets unless they're a puppy. That's the only caveat the reason being is they almost always tell you to overfeed. My thought behind that is it's probably the pet food companies want to sell more food. Oh interesting, And so if you want to know how much to feed your pet. Ask your veterinarian. We can tell you exactly how many calories to feed, and then based on what you're eating, we can tell you exactly how much of that to give.
Speaker 2: Can I put you on the spot, Yeah, Like, what do you think he should he's fifty to fifty let's say call it fifty to sixty pounds. He fluctuates your active crazy barrier.
Speaker 1: Have to take that into account.
Speaker 2: And he's a grown boy, growing teenager.
Speaker 1: Sixty pounds, We'll say, well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'd say, like precisely, it's probably like fifty seven something. Okay, fifty six fifty seven doing my calculata, your calculate, right, And I'll tell you right now when I do. I feed him every day at ten.
Speaker 1: To five, at four fifty. Wait what ten to five?
Speaker 2: I feed him twice a day, okay, at.
Speaker 1: Ten and okay, it was like, wow, four fifty that is very yeah, okayise five. So you who noted, Okay, let's see here. So this is actually a really great example. So if you had a fifty pound, fifty let's say, sixty pound dog that isn't young and active and growing in all the things, they would probably eat roughly around like seven hundred calories a day, and a sixty pound dog that is young and wild and active and biting his leash and all the things you're going to get closer to, like eleven hundred calories per day.
Speaker 2: Okay, good to know.
Speaker 1: So that's how much I would feed him, and then you can look what are you feeding him.
Speaker 2: There's a company called Mave that I've been okay with their stuff like the Farmer's Dog. It's all like the fresh stuff Farmer's Dog. Those are the two right now I'm playing with.
Speaker 1: I would Yeah, you can look at those bags and I'll tell you exactly how many calories. Most of the time on pet foods it says kill a cow so k c al per cup or per ounce and that's the same thing as a calorie.
Speaker 2: Good. So good to know, yes on it. Oh, what do you think about slow feeders?
Speaker 1: I love them. I have the best slow feeder that I use for my shepherd. It's made by yomphy y o m p yump.
Speaker 2: Okay, what else do you think about? Sorry, I'm stealing yourself, no question. Someone told me that you shouldn't put the bowl on the ground. You should actually elevate it for digestion issues. Is that is that internet.
Speaker 1: Trolls are going to come after me for this and I think they know everything. But no, you can put it on the.
Speaker 2: Ground because I was getting yelled at for that.
Speaker 1: There are no scientific studies to show that raising food bowls. The reason they say that is that their stomachs are less likely to flip if the food bowls are raised. There's no data behind that.
Speaker 2: Interesting, So you said stomach flip, Like what should what does it mean? And what should I look out for? Like, how do I know if my dog's stomach flips it's bad?
Speaker 1: So it's really mainly in like our really deep chested dogs that have all that extra space, and there's really no rhyme or reasons why it happens. We just know that some breeds are more predisposed to it, and for whatever reason, that stomach expands and then it flips on its and it cuts off blood supplies in the stomach and it's a like dire emergency, life threatening condition. The main symptom that we see is dogs that are wretching, so they're like gagging trying to get something up and nothing's coming out.
Speaker 2: Ah, is it common or no.
Speaker 1: It's the data. And like deep chested dogs like great Danes, forty percent of great Danes will experience GDB. Is what it's called.
Speaker 2: Okay, I have one more question and then.
Speaker 1: I'm done because ask away. I love this.
Speaker 2: That's something that the podcast holsto we can't help it. What are like, obviously there's symptoms of a human should like go to the emergency room. What are some things that is dog owners should be like if your dog's doing this, like don't mess around? Go see go go? Yeah, Like what are those things?
Speaker 1: A active bleeding? Okay, they're actively bleeding? I take them in Coughing I like to take pretty seriously a cough and a dog can go from being nothing to being something really bad pretty quickly. Coughing, by the way, can sound like a gag. A lot of times people will come in and be like, my dog, it sounds like something stuck in its throat and it's like this, I'm gonna make the cough noise and it's so embarrassing as what like that is what it sounds like? Okay, and then I kind of have this rule of three. So if they're having vomiting or diarrhea, or something like that. If it's three times in one day, three days in a row, or they have three concurrent issues, you should probably take them in to be seen. If it's like one off throw up, I'm like, yeah, they'll be.
Speaker 2: Fine, sure, But if you see three, then it's like.
Speaker 1: Go, exactly, they're diarying, they're not eating, and they're vomiting. Take them to the bet.
Speaker 2: That's the only thing I learned from like Nikki, threes are big. It's three days, three weeks, three months. If you heard that one, which is can you so I don't screw it up. Whether it's like three days when you adopt a dog, you need to be with the dog three days in your home, don't go anywhere nobody else, et cetera. And it's like within three weeks they start to find like they'll start to understand you're their person. And that takes like three full months of like active care for like them to like decompressed, decompressed, like be at their homeostasis.
Speaker 1: Yes, I that is so important when rescuing a dog is to have that expectation that you're not going to bring this dog in. You shouldn't go hit up the patios in the parks right away, like allow them to acclimate to your home and decompress, and that that takes time. And so that's like the essentially what that that rule is, and it's so important even like a year after adopting them, like I'll still like notice them starting to just like get even more comfortable. So it takes time.
Speaker 2: It takes time time.
Speaker 1: Okay. Number two on the list is it is flea seasoned people. It is getting warm out. I can't tell you how many owners have called me because they have fleas on their pets. And I'm gonna throw my sister under the bus again on this podcast, but she called me the other day. I know she called me the other day because her dog had a tick on it. And my big no no here is don't buy flea and tick prevention off of Amazon or Chewy. If it's not prescription base. You do not want to buy the over the counter stuff. It doesn't work. That's usually going to be like sorry to call you out Frontline, but like Frontline is the brand that I find that doesn't work very well, and you're going to end up saving a few dollars on the short end, but long end, your pet's going to get fleas intecks and you're gonna spend way more money trying to treat that. So it's worth the extra five dollars to buy the prevention from your met.
Speaker 2: Wait, isn't the prevention thing you wear on your neck?
Speaker 1: It can be the Ceresto collar, it can be around the neck. I don't love that one as much.
Speaker 2: What do you love?
Speaker 1: I love Simperica Trio, which is.
Speaker 2: That's the shot, isn't it?
Speaker 1: No, that's pro Heart. Simpiricatrio is just an all in one chew. It does flee ticks, heartworms, all in one chew once a month.
Speaker 2: That seems effective, super duper effective injection. I think. Is Simperica ever done an injection? Never? Never?
Speaker 1: You're thinking pro Heart.
Speaker 2: Might have been pro Heart because we did it and we almost lost one of our dogs. Really Yeah, he went into like cribb of the reaction, didn't know what to do. We had him on an ivy that I'm a heart monitor. The gums went fully gray, like we almost lost very scary. Yeah.
Speaker 1: No, I mean, I'm sure there's a lot of listeners out there that have their dogs on pro Heart. And it's not to say that it's a blanket statement of it being bad. It's just any vaccine, injection, anything we give them. There's all in humans too. There's always the risk of having a reaction to something, so he is one that we would not want to give pro hard.
Speaker 2: How do you for fleas and stuff? How do you? How do you know if a dog has fleas?
Speaker 1: They are super duper itchy, like they're unbearably itchy, and then we I can do my examine and see you please, yeah, okay, okay, you'll know, right, and then the fleas can like get.
Speaker 2: You can't see like I couldn't see fleas.
Speaker 1: You can see a flee you can mites like skin mites you can't see, but fleas you can see. They're like little teeny little like gnats, like the size of a gnat.
Speaker 2: Right, yeah, keep my eye. It's flea season.
Speaker 1: Keeper, it's flea season. Okay, number three. It is starting to warm up, as I just said, And my dogs are like crazy. I bet Teddy, Well, Teddy might still have his puppy coat, but he's got long hair, so you'll notice hair thick, hair thick. You'll notice that in the spring and the falls, when they do the majority of their shedding, and I would not ferminate my dogs this time of year really. Ever, the ferminating is a tool. It's a d shedding tool that kind of pulls out that undercoat. And if you go take your dog to the groomer, the groomers will also say like, do you want me to ferminate your dogs for you?
Speaker 2: Thing?
Speaker 1: Ferminating. I can't tell you how many times I see dogs come in three to five days post erminating and that tool causes like little micro tears in their skin and it gets infected and they're so itchy. They have like pustules all along their back. And it's not every single time, but it's a lot. So I try not to ferminate. Just get yourself a really good brush.
Speaker 2: Don't ferminate at all.
Speaker 1: Don't ferminate ever, I don't.
Speaker 2: Oh, don't do that.
Speaker 1: It's that tool so harsh and it like just scrapes across their skin.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I didn't know that, So get a brush. Don't use that for that clothing I use. Don't use that?
Speaker 1: Is it well?
Speaker 2: All? Look?
Speaker 1: Is it? Is it a ferminator?
Speaker 2: I think? So I'll send a picture and see what you think. But yeah, it's like one of those ones that it's got like a little I don't know, it's like metal and it's got like the little baby claws, and like when you do it, like he likes it, it feels good. But then like a bunch.
Speaker 1: Of hair, I'll take a look at it, you'll know, Like.
Speaker 2: So what about shampoos and stuff. Don't use fermination champ because aren't there like fermin champoo shampoo.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, d shinting champoo great, okay, anything like labeled for a dog champoo. Wise, it's the tool. It's like that metal on skin. Okay, it hurts the skin barrier and then they can get infections after that.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: I feel like people always like, do you have any brand deals from this podcast. I'm like, I'm literally up there. Just don't do the ferminator, don't do the front line.
Speaker 2: Let me tee you up with a potential brand opportunity here.
Speaker 1: Number one treat Number one treats.
Speaker 2: They're like top treat that you're like, that's a good treat.
Speaker 1: I really like Stuart's freeze dried and I don't love like freeze dried stuff, but these are the best. I carry them with me to all my appointments. Stuart's freeze dried liver treats. You can get them on I think it's like a family owned company. You can get the money Amazon.
Speaker 2: Okay, anything that you're like, absolutely not put that in your dog's mouth.
Speaker 1: Antlers, good one, anything hard like that. I can't I see a fract right, a hard bone. Anything I can't press my finger into out. I see so many fractured teeth.
Speaker 2: What about those bones with like the like this, I don't know what's your standard, like bone with like the peanut butter stuff in there. I'm blanking on it.
Speaker 1: Like a marrow bone. Yes, I mean those are also really hard, like they can fracture their teeth and then I got to go in and take the tooth out.
Speaker 2: That's a process.
Speaker 1: It's a process. I'm sweating, and you're spending thousand dollars.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, so veinary care.
Speaker 1: We're going to I can't wait.
Speaker 2: I can't wait.
Speaker 1: Yump again and plugging them y omp. They make really good soft soft but they're silicone, so they're still like they can chew on them. Really great toys and bones for dogs to chew on. That's the tea.
Speaker 2: That's great. Yeah, awesome, Well.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much for coming on.
Speaker 2: Thank you for having me. This has been great and you'll have.
Speaker 1: To keep us posted. Well, I'll let people know what happens if you guys moved to New York. If Teddy gets a CCL face and needs it face, there's a lot.
Speaker 2: On the horizon. Maybe we'll do a part two one day and he'll be here once he's trained.
Speaker 1: In five years, Teddy will come years old. All right, Well, this has been a great first episode of season three, and we have so many more great episodes to come this season. We've got Lauren Aigins, We've got Victoria Fuller, we have the head of the swat team that trains all the swat dogs for the Nashville PD, Nikki the trainer who we've talked about one hundred times. This episode is also coming back, So stay tuned because it's going to be awesome and I can't wait for you guys to listen to it.
Speaker 2: H