Speaker 1: My name is Clay Nucomb and this is a production of the Bear Grease podcast called The Bear Grease Render, where we render down, dive deeper, and look behind the scenes of the actual bear Grease podcast.
Speaker 2: Brought to you by Takova's Boots. I'm a cowboy.
Speaker 1: Boot man and I've been wearing Takovis for years with the most comfortable boot I've ever put on.
Speaker 2: Good boots for good times.
Speaker 1: Welcome to the Bear Grease Render, presented by Takoba's Western Wearing Boots. I'm in the Takovi's hot seat right now. But on this render, we're actually in Mississippi on a camp on the Mississippi River with my good friends Lake Pickle Backwood University and Jordan bliss It. And these guys I've decided are probably some of the best turkey hunters that I have ever turkey hunted with. And on this render we're talking all about turkey hunting. We're talking about some missus, we're talking about some successful hunts, and it's just a good podcast. I also want to tell you about Blood Trails season two by my friend Jordan Sellers. It's a true crime podcast about hunting and fishing. He does an incredible job. I mean, I've listened to every episode and I've been riveted by every episode, and I think you will too. And it premieres April sixteenth. I hope you enjoy this podcast. I'll be sitting here in the Tacos hot seat. We're at a camp on the Mississippi River in the state of Mississippi. We are for those of you not watching the YouTube channel, we are actually sitting at a poker table. What I mean, am I correct?
Speaker 2: This is a poker tabe.
Speaker 3: What would Judy Newcomb think about this exactly?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I hope she doesn't watch, but we we do have. We've got Lake and Lacy Pickle with us. Lacy, this is your second time on the Beargershrender it is. Yes, Yes, We're expecting great things from you on today's episode. Funny stories, energy, intel in the Lake Pickle's life, the truth, the truth, Yeah, the truth about Lake Pickle and uh.
Speaker 4: So it's great to have you, Lacey.
Speaker 5: Thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: Yes, Lake's good to have you man. Thanks, uh and Jordan blessed yep, proud to be here. So you guys, so you've you've been on a have you been on a render.
Speaker 4: Yeah, several of them, I think so. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think you have to.
Speaker 6: Thank you were a really low on clientele and you yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: And then we've got Josh Lambridge Spilmaker over there.
Speaker 3: Yes, sir, I'm here, always here.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, well okay.
Speaker 1: What I would like to do is if everybody could just pull out the stack of poker chips.
Speaker 7: And.
Speaker 2: Every time that.
Speaker 1: Josh's trip to Patagonia comes up, I want everybody to put a chip on the table.
Speaker 7: We didn't do that in Pedagonya, and I guess it happened once, okay, And then every time that the turkey hunt from today that involves Lake that we'll hear about later comes up, we'll put another chip on the table.
Speaker 2: Jordan, is there.
Speaker 1: Anything that you would what? What topics do you think are gonna come up on this episode? This episode is about turkey Hunt. That's what it's about. We're in the peak. I mean, you could argue that April the eighth, the day we're recording this is as good a day as there is a turkey hunt.
Speaker 4: You're in the throes.
Speaker 8: You could say that it is supposed to be the peak rood of Mississippi and the Turkey rut peak.
Speaker 1: When would you say, because the Turkey season opens early in Florida, Alabama, and Mississippi. I mean Florida opens March first, south Zone south zone. South zone of Florida opens low I.
Speaker 4: Seventy opens the first Saturday in March.
Speaker 2: Okay first, so that's not necessarily March first.
Speaker 7: Right, and then and then the North zone of Florida. Everything north of seventy opens March fifteenth, unless.
Speaker 4: It's later later too.
Speaker 8: Mississippi is a second state that opens in the United States.
Speaker 7: Now, because Alabama opens March twenty fifth or something like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so there's three states that open in March.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: We were walking, we were walking through the woods yesterday and I asked Lake. I said, I said, is it the opener of your season here? And he looked at me like you should know this, Oh, season has been open. Like I'm a expert on Mississippi.
Speaker 6: We've been rolling for three weeks or three and a half weeks.
Speaker 4: So when is that?
Speaker 1: When if you had three days to hunt? Question for Lake and Jordan here, when would you hunt here? I'm Mississippi.
Speaker 7: Oh, I mean it would here, It'd probably be around somewhere in that first week of April on a typical season.
Speaker 8: Okay, if I was only in allow three days, do that have to be consecutive or three separate?
Speaker 4: That's a good question.
Speaker 2: Let's go three separate?
Speaker 8: Sure, opening day, yeah, okay, April first, okay, and then the last day of season.
Speaker 2: Really okay, Why walk me through?
Speaker 4: Why quantify that.
Speaker 8: I've had great hunts all three of those days historical data?
Speaker 7: He is right, like, it's if you if you could break him up, I would lean towards the April, like I said, But something about the opening day, like before they've been messed with, you.
Speaker 1: Might just get one that just yeah, you ken in on. These turkeys are unpressured, right, and a lot of.
Speaker 8: Times too the opening weekend you may not like have a turkey like come in and do it right to the gun barrel, but you hear a lot of turkey vocalizations. Yeah, they're usually still grouped up, so you get to hear the hens cackling and multiple guiblers gabbling and Jake's yelp and the whole she bang. Yeah, you know, it's it's a cool experience when you get in a group of turkeys that opening week.
Speaker 1: M fact, have they so seven eight years ago, maybe longer, there was this big push in wild turkey biology about these early season openers being harmful to nesting hens, and so, I mean it was it was very strongly put out there, and all the states moved their seasons back, but they did in Arkansas to the point that, I mean, nobody gets excited about even hunting the state anymore because it's like, it's like so late.
Speaker 4: It's just the April, isn't it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, twenty something or twentieth it's actually April twentieth.
Speaker 2: Uh, and they're still goblin then.
Speaker 1: But used to when I was growing up, it would have been like the first Saturday in April or something like that. I mean, I many times remember hunting in the early April. Have they decided that that was good biology or maybe I've heard I've heard a couple of different stories.
Speaker 8: So thankfully, Mississippi has not changed anything from what we've been doing for twentieth years. Yep, they actually opened ours earlier now than they did back in the nineties. Yeah, there was a big uproar because we had a swing in turkey populations there for four or five six years. It's still not what it was twenty five years ago. Everybody knows that. But the last four or five years we've had outstanding hatches. And right now we have as many turkeys as I've seen in my lifetime.
Speaker 7: Yeah, turkey number are strong right now. I don't don't quote me on this, but I'm pretty sure. And Jordan you may know they some folks are almost looking at it like an experiment, because you have Mississippi that stayed with the old season framework, and then you have Alabama right next door. In a bunch of other states, Tennessee pushed theirs back and so and I think it's I mean, we're I don't know, like maybe four or five years into it, So I know some folks are looking into it that way.
Speaker 4: It's kind of like a case study.
Speaker 7: To see how it works out, right, because I haven't heard it hasn't it hasn't been long enough for them to go, yeah, this is actually helping or this is kind of a non factor.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, Okay, what do you think, Lacy? You're gonna lean on Lake's opinion? Yeah, biology, okay.
Speaker 5: I am a report of wife Clay.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, great, you can you can.
Speaker 1: We'll we'll see what you feel about what happened today that Lake will talk about later.
Speaker 3: Okay, there's no turkeys in Patagonia by the way, right, So that brings up a great question.
Speaker 1: Josh, Josh Spilmmaker two days ago, was in three days ago, was in Santiago, Chili, Chile, and uh so, Josh just.
Speaker 2: Came back from a big fishing trip. Moving on.
Speaker 1: That was back to that was quick now you were there, you were there for ten days. Called a huge brown trout.
Speaker 2: You just your trip for Yeah, oh, I gave you deserve You deserved this, Josh, you deserve this. You deserve two minutes.
Speaker 3: It was a great, great trip. Patagony is actually a really amazing place if you are a fly fisherman. I can't say if you're a hunter, it's probably not somewhere that you want to be. They they they don't have any big game, which is a interesting that to the best of your So a lot of the at least the region you know, Chile is like most of it is one hundred miles wide, but it's over four thousand miles long.
Speaker 2: That's increable.
Speaker 3: And the region that we were in a big part of it looks like Montana and they're you know, ranches that are two hundred thousand acres and in the only the only I mean they run cattle, they run sheep. But there's no no big ung.
Speaker 2: There's no Yeah. He show me pictures. Looks like Montana.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, there's no there's no servids bigger than Yeah.
Speaker 3: They have a native servid that's that's really I can't remember the name of it. It's a but it's only He told me forty forty centimeters tall, which is like like sixteen inches.
Speaker 2: So they've got they've got pumas. Mountain lion.
Speaker 3: You do have some pumas. Yeah, they do have some pumas. But other than that they have they have a bird that looks like an ostrich called a ria, which is wild because we're driving through and he's like, there's some maria and there's just these two big giant birds just out in this flightless grassland.
Speaker 4: Ostrich like birds. Yep.
Speaker 3: Color they they're brown, dark brown, kind of like yeah, look, look looks similar to.
Speaker 2: Now what I thought South America.
Speaker 1: I've seen video of a mountain lion what looked like a mountain lion attacking these lama like animals.
Speaker 3: They do have, they don't have as many lamas in Chile, as they have alpacas well.
Speaker 2: These appeared to be wild animals.
Speaker 3: I didn't see any any wild and they didn't they didn't mention it. All their all their native game is protected. You can't can't hunt it. But but a lot of the critters that they do have were introduced, like in fact, the trout, the brown trout were introduced in the late sixties.
Speaker 1: Can you imagine showing up on a continent, especially if you had knowledge of Africa, just the plethora of wild game that's on the Africa and continent, and then you came to North America and saw, you know, I mean, we have a we have a vast array of big game, not as not as varied as Africa, but but pretty impressive.
Speaker 4: We got a lot.
Speaker 1: And then you go to this other continent and they got a bunch of monkeys, big.
Speaker 2: Snakes, one one. Well they have jaguars.
Speaker 1: Maybe not in Chile, but yeah, in the north, maybe in the northern in South America they would have jaguars.
Speaker 4: And I'm talking about us.
Speaker 3: I'm talking about an area that would be considered small in Chile. You know, Chile goes all the way up nearly to the equator and almost all the way to Antarctica. So I mean there's a there's a wild range of geography and in there. So you know, up up in the northern part they might have more more of what you would find in in in northern South America. But where I was at it, I mean there was there were no poisonous snakes, there were no poisonous bugs.
Speaker 1: There were no no poison ivy.
Speaker 3: No poison ivy, I mean, yeah, no poison plants. I have these beetles. I didn't show you a picture of the beetles. They have these beetles.
Speaker 4: Oh you did that.
Speaker 3: That bore into these beech trees that are about the body is about about two inches long, but they have these huge jaws on the front that are about another inch and a half long, and they're pretty wild looking.
Speaker 6: How would you like to have that snap your dad?
Speaker 3: Yeah, no kidding.
Speaker 1: So you you caught one big brown trout.
Speaker 3: Caught a trophy brown trout twenty eight twenty nine inches long and fifteen to twenty pounds on a fly rod.
Speaker 2: It was that's awesome.
Speaker 3: It was a kind of a catch of a lifetime. So you can check that out on my Instagram.
Speaker 6: They were beautiful too.
Speaker 1: So we were talking about the turkey regulations in Mississippi. Somehow when we got on that.
Speaker 3: It was a perfect segue in the Patagonia mm hm.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: So at the end, at the end of this, keep your stacks separate from Patagonia and Lakes Lake's story, which we're gonna count that as one, and whoever wins wins between Josh and Lake.
Speaker 4: For uh, you're falling behind, like, so I haven't gone yet.
Speaker 1: So okay Mississippi, Okay, these early season dates, we just don't have enough years to know if they're really help. I think they probably do help turkey numbers because people don't kill as many turkeys because you're not hunting at the peak. I know in Arkansas. I just feel like if the two week turkey season was the April first or April fifteenth, you'd kill more turkeys than April twentieth.
Speaker 2: And May fifth. Now I feel like you would don't know that.
Speaker 7: This is my This is my hypothesis based on nothing but anecdotal evidence, not based off science or anything, but it's just anecdotal. I think that if they ever I don't know if they ever shift it.
Speaker 4: Back or not.
Speaker 7: But I think that they're going to figure out the season framework as a non factor.
Speaker 2: I like the sound of that, Like, that's just my thought.
Speaker 6: I feel the same way I do.
Speaker 8: You know it, that's not because I want to haunt earlier every year, but I just don't see a difference.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, there's there's this fine there's this fine line. We've seen it with black bears in Arkansas and turkeys with Arkansas.
Speaker 4: Is when.
Speaker 1: I mean, we've got to have a conservation in mind when we set our season dates.
Speaker 2: I mean you absolutely do.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, of course, I mean you have to.
Speaker 1: But in the case of moving the season dates later, and in the case of I can't go too much into the Arkansas black bear season. But but for over a decade we've had these like really late black bear openers, and the data just doesn't point to that that really that significant in the management of the bears. And it's but it puts a major major factor onto the to the hunting culture and the people involved in the sport, the people that actually care about hunting bears and turkeys too. I mean, like the late season opener has like stolen the soul of Arkansas turkey season, And granted, if we didn't have any turkeys, that would really steal the soul of Arkansas turkey hunting. So I'm not saying you lean towards culture over science.
Speaker 7: There's a balance there though, right, I mean, like, the science is heavily important, but if you don't have a hunting community there to appreciate that resource, then how far is it going to get you?
Speaker 4: You know what I mean? Yeah, So then that is And.
Speaker 7: I'm not trying to paint the picture that Alabama's turkey culture is gone, because it's it's very much alive and well, but it did, like.
Speaker 4: And I understood, ruffled some feathers. I do.
Speaker 7: I do think that people that though yeah, pun intended, I do think that the folks that made that decision did so in a conservation mindset.
Speaker 4: I fully believe that.
Speaker 7: But I do think they could put the Alabama season nowhere back to the way that it was and it would be fine.
Speaker 6: I also think it was an impulse decision.
Speaker 2: There's no everybody knows it.
Speaker 1: I mean, uh, major voices in turkey biology were saying stating this is a fact.
Speaker 4: Dude.
Speaker 7: Well I didn't say it, but I heard that, And now I was like pushing back, like I was scared. They get freaked me out because it got it got pretty I mean, I don't know how doom and gloom it actually got.
Speaker 4: But from my perspective at the time, I was like, we got to do something.
Speaker 7: And so yeah, when I first heard it, and that's I'm putting my own stuff on the chop of block. When I first heard it, I was like, it's probably a good thing.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Sure.
Speaker 4: Now with a little bit of retrospect, I see it differently.
Speaker 2: Well, time will.
Speaker 1: Tell, and it's it's it's encouraging that we've had some good hat and I think we've had good hatches all across the South. I know in Arkansas we've had better hatches than we've had in fifteen years.
Speaker 8: I just had a friend of mine that lives in Arkansas send me pictures from a place that they have in the those arcs of Three Gobblers. He said, this is first time in several years we've had this many turkeys on his place and they're fired up.
Speaker 4: That's all.
Speaker 1: What's he doing sending you those pictures. That's a mistake, buddy, If you're out there, don't send this guy pictures of the turkeys because he knows what to.
Speaker 4: Do with them.
Speaker 6: Two weeks ago.
Speaker 2: Now our friend Lake, on the other.
Speaker 3: Hand, Hey, oh.
Speaker 2: There, it is like that.
Speaker 5: That was like a foreshadowing chip.
Speaker 4: Question for everyone, play their foreshadowing.
Speaker 1: Okay, before we get to Lake's Lake's story, Hey, there's another one there.
Speaker 2: Jordans.
Speaker 1: Lake's said something about you yesterday that was very complimentary. Uh uh, he did, he did, and it was it was I thought it was a good description.
Speaker 2: This is okay, if I say what you said.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's heard me say it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he said, he said Jordan Bliss, it is not only I don't know if you use this term, but this is what I heard. An exceptional hunter. He's also exceptionally lucky. And a lot of people like when you have both.
Speaker 7: Yeah, what I said is you normally have what I what I appreciate it. I say, what you normally have is you have the hunting buddy that gets lucky all the time, and you have the hunting buddy that's really good. Somehow Jordan finds a way to be both.
Speaker 1: And you told me a story, and I want to hear Jordan tell the story. Okay, I mean you you can tag team, but the story. How can you tell it? We'all were on some on some land here in Mississippi.
Speaker 7: The one a couple of seasons ago when the turkey got spooked and flew into the tree.
Speaker 2: Tell us that whole story.
Speaker 8: So I had a drawhunt and Lake went with me, and I had been hunting the private land next to it, so we kind of knew where some turkeys were on the public area. And uh, we go in there and they pitch black dog. I may get in there early because we want to do the first one to the gate, right. You don't want to I don't want to be late when it comes to the puplic land hunting.
Speaker 4: We waited through a sea of briars too.
Speaker 8: And uh, I actually got access to come in kind of from the back door of this place. There's some private and if you can do that, you got to do due diligence and ask permission and trade hamburgers and hot dogs and everything can else to get it. But uh, we got in there at like four forty five in the morning and doesn't get gabbling tome soil six and uh Lake and I were sitting there just waiting on that turkey to gobble, and he finally gobbles one time. We start be lying in towards him and and uh we what a couple of hundred yards? We hoot again, he gobbles again. We'll get a better bead on where he's at. And uh, where he's at. It's on the other side of like this big savannah type cut, like big open pines. Like you can see five six hundred yards there when it's daylight. So you want to get across there in the dark, because if you don't, there ain't getting across there without Turkey seeing you. So we get across there and pitch black dark gets set down and Turkey gobs a few more times, start yeping at him. If I remember correctly, Uh, hen flies down first, and then he soon followed and gobbled on the ground. And a few minutes goes by, and all of a sudden, the woods rupped cackling. Turkey's flying and turkeys fly to our left and one flies right over.
Speaker 6: Type of me and lake and like something spooked him. Though something spooked it wasn't that.
Speaker 2: It wasn't.
Speaker 6: Now they're they're flushed.
Speaker 2: They got flushed animals or.
Speaker 8: Something who knows what, We don't know. It could have been a Bobcat. It could have been somebody coming in her hunting.
Speaker 6: I don't know.
Speaker 4: It was a putt and fly fest.
Speaker 6: Turkey is fine.
Speaker 7: It looked like a covey flush of quill. But they're all going different directtions.
Speaker 2: Y'all think the hunt's over?
Speaker 8: Oh yeah, just like pretty much done. And we just sit there because for one turkeys, we don't know where they're all at. And too, like I explained, we stand up, we're exposed to everything. So if we stand up, whatever turkeys are still around us are going to be spooped even again. So we just a lect just to sit there a few minutes and to see how it plays out. And uh, maybe ten minutes goes by, and I yelled, and Hen starts yelping, and I yelped back at her, and we get into a conversation, and I remember, right Lakes yelping too. We're just all carrying on, you know, back and forth. She seems to be calm down, she actually coming towards us. And keep in mind, we had a turkey that flew in a tree behind us, and so we're being as still as possible. I just assumed it was a hen foreshadowing.
Speaker 4: We both did yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, And.
Speaker 8: Anyway, that hen's coming at us. She's probably seventy yards out there in front of us.
Speaker 6: And uh, this.
Speaker 8: Turkey over to our right is in a tree forty ish yards thirty forty yards over there. I'm scared to move my head, so I had never looked at it. I just know it's up there. Well, I started hearing it shuffle around, and I see it pitch out of my peripheral vision and I turned my head.
Speaker 6: When it's flying, I'm like.
Speaker 4: It's the gobbler.
Speaker 8: See a white head coming out of the tree, like just helicoptering down pretty much, just going straight down to the ground. It hits the ground, if I remember right, it either gobbled right when it hit.
Speaker 6: The ground or went in the strut the started strutting.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it started strutting, then it gobbled, And it's like forty yards from us, strutting, gobling while we're yelping back and forth.
Speaker 6: His head out in front of us. I'm like, Lake, it's the gobbler.
Speaker 4: Here's the gobblin.
Speaker 8: It's men have both right handed, so it's our weak side. And I'm have this blow down tree out in front of me. My legs are kind of up under it. So I start using that as kind of a pushing pull type pivot point, and I'm easing as slow as I can around trying to get my gun pointed that direction. I made this inch by inch because he's in a pretty much wide open within gun range and he's strutting and then he starts gobbling and he got him five or six times, and uh. I finally get eased turned to that direction, and I'm like, like.
Speaker 6: Are you own him? And he's like yeah, I'm moaning.
Speaker 8: And I pull up and gun and yelp at him and shoot him like the craziest thing ever, Like who'd ever thought that would happen?
Speaker 6: Mm hmm.
Speaker 8: But turkeys get flushed, one flies and tree right below us ends up flying down and get shot like never happens to anybody except Jordan.
Speaker 4: Happens to him. Happens to him.
Speaker 1: And what you said was that, Yeah, there's a component of luck to that, but there was also a high component of.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's what I mean.
Speaker 7: It's like he's it's not I mean, I have we thought, probably all had. I've got buddies. That's like every story they come back with them like, how are you this lucky?
Speaker 4: All the time. You just like dumb into success.
Speaker 7: But yeah, it's like to say what I said was like just to say that Jordan got lucky would be dishonest because he is good.
Speaker 1: Well and in that story to know where that bird was, to have the access through the through the other place, which takes a lot of work, a lot of hustle, a lot of energy, a lot of desire.
Speaker 7: I mean we waited through so many briers that morning going out.
Speaker 8: I did take a wrong turn and went off in a rabbit ticket hawk.
Speaker 4: I mean, like you know, like cuts on your forearms, kind of thicky.
Speaker 8: Man have both wearing leafy suits and they were not leafy as much.
Speaker 2: I came out and tripped them down.
Speaker 4: Got the turkey though, Got the turkey.
Speaker 6: Big turkey too.
Speaker 4: It was big, long spurred thing.
Speaker 1: Well, speaking of being lucky too, I've got this nice in seat of matching sheds that we picked up yesterday while we were listening to a turkey.
Speaker 4: Gobbles wide out on the dark.
Speaker 1: On a nice little kicker on that four point side, right next to each other.
Speaker 6: It's very pretty colored sheds.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's kind of got that Mississippi River muddy brow color like that almost.
Speaker 2: That wouldn't and ozark deer wouldn't look like that.
Speaker 1: There'd be a lot more chocolate up on the horn, but that's probably been sun bleached.
Speaker 6: A little bit nice here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yes it will, Lacy if you had.
Speaker 2: It this year.
Speaker 9: Yeah, we've been out on our property a few times and.
Speaker 7: Yeah, mm hmmm, that's a pickle pond Rosa.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 7: We we bought six acres that we plany on building a house on and there's one long beard that tends to hang around there and we've been we've been going around and around with him.
Speaker 4: When Lacy can get off work.
Speaker 1: Yeah, would would you be comfortable telling some version of the story you told me the other day about what happened?
Speaker 4: No, okay, never mind, No, I would not.
Speaker 2: Okay not.
Speaker 8: His place is called pickle like Actually, yeah, I surprised him with that.
Speaker 6: We registered indeed with the county.
Speaker 3: Oh that's funny.
Speaker 2: I like it.
Speaker 4: I like it. I love it.
Speaker 1: Well, we've so we had some great stories. On the last episode of Bear Grease. We had a Turkey stories episode and uh not everybody got to listen to it. My favorite story on the episode was Codyvilines. Cody the lines he was on the American Loggers episodes.
Speaker 2: So he's he's on bear Grease been.
Speaker 4: On bears before.
Speaker 1: And Jordan he told the story of basically calling up a black bear and it was it was just a good story though when he was a kid. And I like the way he told the story. He said he it roosted three gobblers the night before. Now the tree they were in, he gets in there, calling at the Turkey's there, goblin. They pitched down, and all of a sudden he sees three black blobs coming over the hill and I mean, he's got his safety off, about to kill this gobbler.
Speaker 2: And it was old soal bear and it was it was a great story.
Speaker 1: And then Jonas Poultellus told a good story just from Texas. And then I told the story of Lake and I on in Arkansas last year with a big gobbler in front of us that should have been killable, should have been coming in. Yeah, and we're on the field edge and and if you hadn't listened to it, a big time spoilert cut the cut the podcast if you hadn't listened to it yet, And uh, Justin Houise has a pot belly pig that lives on his farm, and I believe that pot belly pig winded us and came in to find us. And this pot belly pig was walking down the fence line while we got a gobbler out here, and I out of.
Speaker 2: The peripheral vision, I mean, we're like on this turkey. Lake's the shooter.
Speaker 1: So I'm back a little bit and I see a big black, round like side of a turkey.
Speaker 7: Kind of well that and like it's one of those things when you're turkey hunting, everything begins to look like a turkey. Ye, like the other day of me and Jordan thought the back end of a black angus cow was a shrutter.
Speaker 4: We were right there.
Speaker 6: Oh and she was forty yards away.
Speaker 2: Oh really that close I can see I look like a fan.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean just so, I mean you're just so keyed up and you're like struttered.
Speaker 8: No, we were sneaking up trying to peek into this field. Yeah, she popped out from behind a tree.
Speaker 4: Yeah, strutter.
Speaker 2: Well that's exactly what that.
Speaker 1: That pig was moving at the pace of like a strutting turkey, and it was a pig. And but then Lake circles around and kills the turkey. Like probably an hour later.
Speaker 7: Well, I was telling like, like I was saying, Jordan, is this combination of good and lucky?
Speaker 4: I've said this before and Jordan would agree.
Speaker 7: It doesn't happen every time, but sometimes I'll I'll be talking to Jordan because something he just gets to hear me vent a lot about hunting situations, and I'm like, like, why can't I just ever have a normal home?
Speaker 4: Very rarely? Is it? Just like? Uh?
Speaker 7: I set up I called a god wor come in and I shot him like something wonky always has to happen, like the pot belly pig. And so then we had to make this big loop like the the deer I shot earlier this year where I'm like got frustrated and let my bow down and saw him coming in.
Speaker 4: I was like, woo, and.
Speaker 7: I'm having to untie my bow from the string when the deer's thirty yards and walking in. It's just like something always wonky happens to me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, speaking of wonky things happening to you. Okay, here it is about the hunt. Tell us about the hunt this morning?
Speaker 4: Do you like that segue? Yeah?
Speaker 6: That was a good.
Speaker 7: Okay, So we roosted Clay Josh myself roosted turkey last night, and I'm talking, I'm not naive enough to think that we've got to roost it.
Speaker 4: He's we're gonna kill him.
Speaker 7: But I think what I told you last night is like, there's no such thing as a one hundred percent turkey on because there's not. But that's about as good of a chance as you could ask for. And I said, I would say that to I mean, he gobbled enough of us that we were able to get too fifty two hundred from him and be like he is right there, yeah, and great spot to be able to get in get in there tight to him. We snuck in in the dark, in the pitch dark set up one hundred. According to on X, he was one hundred and forty one yards away and.
Speaker 2: He had his he had his back to a slough.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so we pretty you know, he could have pitched across that slough, but most likely he was going to pitch down on our side. So we had a natural terrain feature.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that was helping us. I mean it was perfect.
Speaker 7: And we get set up, we get still, we get quiet, we get bathed in mosquito spray because sitting't that close to that slew. They were thick, and uh, I just sat there all morning waiting for the damn to bust and that it never did.
Speaker 4: I mean, I mean I was sitting there, going anytime now, anytime now.
Speaker 8: The first crow, I said, are we sure we went to the right on x pen?
Speaker 1: It's got so many Yeah, you know, the tweety birds start tweeting. The sun starts to get light, and he's not gobbling, and sometimes they do gobble before, but there's no crows. And I go, when that first crow goes, he's gonna gobble, And about two minutes later, Yeah, nothing in lake goes.
Speaker 4: That's not good. I don't know. I don't know what happened.
Speaker 7: The only thing is he something bumped him in the night or he just didn't gobble, because we didn't hear any other turkeys until way late. I'm talking like as far as like like fly down time.
Speaker 4: And one gobbled to the north of us one time.
Speaker 8: Based on the way my morning went on three hours from here, I alwauld say he was there, Yeah, because I was where turkeys. I was within shot earshot of turkeys this morning too, and they do not gobble.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 7: It was it was so anyway that didn't work, and trying to keep your spirits up, you know. But because we had a close call the day before, and you know, we're you know, you just want to get you just want to hunt to go right, And I'm like, well, you know, so you could feel at least me, we were all a little bit bummed. We were like god, like, you know, like that just felt so good. And we're like, well, let's go back towards where we parked, the side by side because that night when we roosed him, we thought we may have heard a turkey on the other side of the road to the west. So we get over there and I owl in the turkey gobbles and we did a little bit of like.
Speaker 4: The was he that way? Was he that way? I thought he was this way? Anyway, we give him a goble again.
Speaker 7: We're like okay, here we move up hit a road. There's the nice thing about this place is there's a really good road system on it, so you can pretty you can cut a lot of ground pretty easy. And we start moving to this turkey and we cut a big chunk of distance because he was deep. And I get to where we think he should be around three hundred ish yards away.
Speaker 4: I owl again, he gobbles.
Speaker 7: Sweet, move up and something about that last gobble. He may have been doing this all morning and we couldn't hear him. But it was like once he pulled the cork out of him, you couldn't stop him.
Speaker 4: I mean, he was just gobling and he was coming. No.
Speaker 6: Oh, no, not that yet.
Speaker 4: I was like, what, but he was moving, Yeah, he was definitely moving in our direction. He was. He was just gobling.
Speaker 7: And so we get to this spot where the road tees into this food plot and then takes a ninety and juts down, and he's just in this block of woods and he's gobling so much, and we've got three people.
Speaker 4: We set up probably.
Speaker 7: One seventy two hundred somewhere in there, and I was like, let's just play it safe and try it from here first, you know, like knight risk pushing any further. See what he does. He's gobling so much, you know. So we set up right there. And another thing, havn't hunted on this place for a long time. You yelping a turkey into the road and getting him to come down, it is typically how it goes down, you know. So we start calling this turkey and he jumps all over it, I mean, just.
Speaker 4: And cuts this.
Speaker 7: Since I thought for a second, and I'm like, maybe he's gonna stay in the woods. Maybe one time he moved a little left towards the road. One time he got I must say around one twenty I could hear him drum and then the goblin just ceased for how long? Thirty minutes And I'm sitting there, going where'd he go?
Speaker 6: Hey? Taking a smoke break?
Speaker 7: So I mean like, I'm like, we didn't spook him, where did he go? And we sat there for probably longer than we needed to, just because I'm like, man, I don't want to bull rush into it, and then the sucker's coming the whole time, or he steps out in the road or whatever. But we finally decided let's push in, and I'm like, I guess we need to try to get in those woods.
Speaker 4: And you kind of had it.
Speaker 7: And it could be kind of tricky because along these roads there's like these buffer strips of thicket, so it's hard to find a path in there. But it's not just like making a whole ruckus. And so we ease up there, find a way in, pick our way through, find what looks to be the beginning of some more open hardwood timber.
Speaker 4: And we sit down.
Speaker 7: And uh, I think it was the second or third time I yelped he hit, and he was he had drifted north. We waited there a little bit longer and Clay was like, do you want to close some distance? I said, if he gobbles again, he's the same spot, we will He yelped, same spot. I said, yeah, let's cut some distance, and we elected to go back to the road. This is where the story kind of gets a little bit funny, because there was some serious ring around the rosie happening, and we.
Speaker 4: Get just skipped.
Speaker 2: We can just you know, skip some of that the ring around the rosy.
Speaker 4: Well, is it getting too long?
Speaker 2: Well, I was just wanting to get to the good part.
Speaker 3: Oh.
Speaker 7: So we get to the road and we start cutting distance, and all of a sudden that turkey gobbles again and we're like he's coming to us, Like we're about to mess this up. So we run back, hop back in the woods, get to a tree. Feel good. He gobbles again, like, okay, we can cut some distance down. So we move a little bit further north and all of a sudden we hit this spot in these hardwoods that you just kind of go this visit it, like this is this is the spot, big open hardwoods, pretty small flat found out later looking around there was some scratching in there, and he was just content in there. And I remember when we all got sat down, I said, the thing we got going for us is we already know he's plenty fine coming right here. And so we get sat down and I just waited for him to gobble again, and when he gobbled again, I answered him and he crawled all over it.
Speaker 4: And it probably took from that set up. How long did it take? Ten minutes? Minutes? It wasn't long.
Speaker 7: He he finicked a little bit with the like, hey, well you come this way, but he didn't do that very long, and he started cutting distance and got to about one hundred gobbled a few times.
Speaker 4: Wasn't much longer.
Speaker 7: I thought I heard a drum, and about that time Clay said, I hear him drum.
Speaker 4: I'm like, okay, that is what it is.
Speaker 7: And I'm just, you know, at that point, like safety is knocked off and I'm just scanning with my eyes trying to catch him, like where is he going to show up? Clays on first and here comes he's right down in your gun barrel. About that time, I can see the top of that white head just coming. I'm like, cool boy, here we go.
Speaker 4: And uh oh, heart gets thumping. It had been thumping, brother, had they he was breathing hard? Yeah, I was. I was very excited.
Speaker 6: I had both fever.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: And the rut it's the Turkey rut is why wouldn't.
Speaker 7: And uh, he's coming And he gets to about there was a tree.
Speaker 4: I carry a range finder with me. There was a tree.
Speaker 7: There was like a little double tree that I had ranged and it was forty three yards and he was the other side of it, not by much, so he was somewhere between forty five and fifty, which my gun will do every day and twice on Sunday. And he comes in and he's pre confident. It's the gun works. The gun works. At no point, will you hear me throw this at the gun? The gun is sound, and he's moving and I'm trying to get on.
Speaker 1: Him and he's not coming to us. We've got our decoy set out and he could have seen it. I mean like it's in big open woods. Decoy is like probably twelve yards right in front of us. When he's first coming, it looks like he's just coming straight to us.
Speaker 4: But he veers.
Speaker 1: He he just veers and and doesn't look like you know.
Speaker 2: Sometimes they'll they'll be looking and strutting. He's just moved.
Speaker 7: He did he did blood one time, but he was behind that tree. He never did full strut. He just kind of puffed and that's when he gobbled.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and then he.
Speaker 8: Just just yelped at him at any more since you've seen him.
Speaker 2: No, we didn't yelp when after we saw.
Speaker 6: It sounds like the turkey's miscourse, y'all.
Speaker 4: He might have.
Speaker 6: That's what it sounds.
Speaker 7: But I was gotten so close, man, And that's what I told. Well, let me tell the story. He gets in, he gets gets in one lane that's like my best lane to shoot, and I said, can I kill him? We're filming, Yeah, And that's what I heard when I said, can I kill him? That's what I heard slid and uh. When I finally hear I think I hear the word yes.
Speaker 2: We thought it was more like a like a spiritual question or like a first.
Speaker 6: Question rhetorical himself.
Speaker 7: Can I do this philosophical?
Speaker 2: I kind of look at Josh and go.
Speaker 6: I don't know if you can.
Speaker 4: I don't know if he's got it in it.
Speaker 7: Uh So, by the time I hear yes, the turkey is behind a tree, and uh he pops out and there was a gap between that tree and a and a smaller tree, probably about eight inches in diameter. And in my head, I like, he was moving at such a rate. I'm like, if I don't try to poke it through right now, I'm about to lose him entirely. And uh so I tried to force it through that gap and it did not work.
Speaker 4: And that turkey he's somewhere, he's out there.
Speaker 6: Did he fly run?
Speaker 4: He flew yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah exactly, flew, flapped and sailed.
Speaker 7: Yeah, he's fine. He's just scared a lot. And the tell you who was hurt the most, and that ordeals me.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I can't imagine it happens to the best of us.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's what I told Clays. Like hindsight, I maybe should have tried to yelp at him to see if he'd slow up. I just was like, if I don't get him right here, he's gone. But the bottom line is when he made it through that gap, like my big lane that I had, I should have just not shot that.
Speaker 4: I shouldn't have shot.
Speaker 8: But all right, you probably should have just put the red dot on the turkey anyway.
Speaker 1: Well, it was uh, it was exciting. It was it was exciting. It was hard. It was hard to watch old Lake miss because I knew how bad it wo tear him up.
Speaker 4: It did, but boys had a rough.
Speaker 8: Yeah, we've been through this before, Lake, And sometimes you have to just do a confession of whatever you've done wrong to the Turkey Man.
Speaker 4: That's a Turkey superstition. You might as well enlightened, Clay.
Speaker 8: You have to do some type of confession of anything you have wronged in the Turkey Woods.
Speaker 2: Now who we the Turkey Man is God?
Speaker 4: All right?
Speaker 7: Yeah, okay, I thought that part was evident.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean I was making sure they so, man, that's right, I'm with you.
Speaker 2: I'm tracking now. Okay.
Speaker 1: So we've been through this before though, Oh yeah, you got outside of the Turkey Woods.
Speaker 4: Though.
Speaker 1: This doesn't cover your actions out just your actions in the Turkey Woods.
Speaker 8: You're hunting something something he's done something wrong hunting. I don't know what it would be, just just my speculations speculations.
Speaker 1: Interesting, Do you have any insight that you'd like to show? Maybe this is where Lacey comes in. Lacey, do you have anything to tell us about Lake that maybe he didn't even see himself sometimes? Uh, you know, self evaluation is really hard because you're.
Speaker 2: Blind to yourself.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you don't really see your problems. It's true all of us.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 10: Well, I mean, the only wrong that I know.
Speaker 5: Of was a few years ago.
Speaker 10: I don't think it would have affected.
Speaker 6: You want to tell us about that?
Speaker 4: I shot a turkey out from under her?
Speaker 5: Sure did time he took me Yep.
Speaker 2: He didn't think you were going to get it?
Speaker 4: Did he?
Speaker 5: I guess not? But I mean we have talked about this over over.
Speaker 4: Counselor finally, I didn't miss that one.
Speaker 9: So look, but listen, we were we weren't even engaged yet.
Speaker 5: That was the biggest fight we ever had.
Speaker 2: Oh for real. This wasn't like a joke.
Speaker 4: Was big enough? Really? Oh? Yeah? Yeah?
Speaker 2: But did you shoot the turkey because you didn't think she was going to get on it?
Speaker 7: We had one gun between the two of us because the the intent was for Laci to shoot the turkey.
Speaker 2: Maybe this is good, good job Jordan's We're.
Speaker 6: Gonna be a great day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we got to kill.
Speaker 4: The intent was the intent was for Laty to shoot a turkey.
Speaker 7: We were on uh what we refer to as a traveling preacher, and that's turkey that he's moving in Goblin and uh and spread word. He's taking it somewhere. He's just a traveling preacher. You couldn't catch I mean he was on it. I mean he was moving, like all morning, he was moving.
Speaker 2: You want to come back to this. Different names turkeys, but we.
Speaker 7: Were on a traveling preacher, and I mean we had been chasing that rascal all morning and finally he got to this creek bottom and that was I told Lacy something along the lines of like that is the most stationary that turkey has.
Speaker 4: Been all morning.
Speaker 7: He got to that creek bottom and kind of just started drifting back and forth Goblin. And this was the second to last day in Mississippi season, so there is a ton of vegetation, so he got a lot of cover to work with. And so whenever he would drift down that creek, I would just inch us up and I would inch us up, and I finally got to where he gobbled one time he's down the creek and I sat us down and we were within shooting distance of that creek, like thirty yards and and I'm like, I feel like this is a good spot if you know, if he'd come back in here. The other thing is this turkey hadn't answer to yelp all morning.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 7: We we'd hear him, we'd try to set up on him again. He just kept moving. But we sat there and he kind of stayed where he was and I yelped.
Speaker 4: And it wasn't like a call yelp, yep, yep, yeap.
Speaker 7: It was kind of delayed, but it was the it was like the most oh my gosh, that turkey actually answered like and I said, hey, I know he's like one hundred and thirty yards away, but go ahead and get your gun up point of this direction.
Speaker 4: He may come. You know.
Speaker 2: She got the gun.
Speaker 4: She has a gun. And we're sitting there.
Speaker 7: I mean it's maybe been twenty seconds and Lacy goes, I see him, and.
Speaker 4: I'm like, oh, she saw him first.
Speaker 7: Yeah, she goes, she goes, I see him, And I'm like, do what like the turkey that we just heard a hunt like, it just didn't make sense how this turkey would be here that quickly. Well, then I glanced over and the turkey we heard is this way. She's looking that way, and I'm like, huh, and I have this giant water oak tree in my line of you, and she's like, he's walking this way, and I'm like, I guess she's looking at a turkey.
Speaker 4: Sure enough. I mean it's a great big water oak tree.
Speaker 7: So when I finally see him, there's a long beard turkey just walking at us like suck no, I mean, just chilled out where you know where you're at, girl, and walks in and just in these big open hardwoods. And he's standing there at twenty five thirty yards like he's living around. And I gave the green light whenever. If I say any incorrections, feel free, and I said, shoot.
Speaker 4: Him, shoot him, shoot him.
Speaker 7: I mean, you know it's you're like, I'm whispering because the turkey's right there, but I mean I don't know him.
Speaker 4: Like shoot, you know.
Speaker 7: And Lacey's shoulder to shoulder with me, and I can hear some sort of struggle going on over there, and the gun's not going off, and I'm like something has gone awry, and the Turkey didn't booger.
Speaker 4: But you know how it is.
Speaker 7: When Turkey's standing there at twenty five yards, he ain't gonna stand there forever until he's like something's not right here. And he didn't freak out. He just kind of turned around and started walking back. And he started walking away and have much time, and I'm thinking, is the gun not loaded? What did I screw up? And he when he goes behind that I did that right.
Speaker 1: There where he's like taking some of the blame, which I probably didn't on that day.
Speaker 4: Go ahead.
Speaker 7: So he goes behind the big water oak tree. I mean it, thing's massive. So he goes behind it, and I know I've got a little bit of time and I look over. I said, will the gunnight shoot? She goes no, I said, hand it to me. So I grabbed the gun and I pulled the chamber back, and I'm serious thing, I'm like, I'm about to see an empty chamber and be like, you idiot. But I pulled the chamber back, the shells in there, and I bring it back shut and when I look up, he's now off my right shoulder at about fifty yards, and I just I didn't think about it.
Speaker 4: I just reacted. I just went and shot him. Okay.
Speaker 10: See I thought the plan was give the gun back to me, and we did.
Speaker 5: Not do that.
Speaker 7: So we were not aligned. No, we did not do that. Is that was that inaccurate representation of story?
Speaker 5: I would say?
Speaker 4: So?
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, Lacy, so you were upset with him about this though?
Speaker 9: Oh yeah no, Like he got up and ran and was just so exciting. Yeah, the most excited. And he turns around.
Speaker 5: I'm just like, yeah, I mean yeah, I mean and.
Speaker 10: He's like, oh no, Like it registers like she's upset.
Speaker 9: She's really upset, you know, And I just couldn't believe.
Speaker 8: It's probably a lot of my fault why he's like that, because we've always been like, I don't care who hadn't killed a turkey. If he wone, gets some gun range, don't let him get out.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and just a Jordan thing.
Speaker 7: That's like we did that primos for years unless it was like bad video, like the turkey doesn't leave.
Speaker 9: And that's what we did talk about that. But like, that was my first time you've taken me.
Speaker 5: I think that was my first turkey hunt ever.
Speaker 4: That was her first turkey hunt ever ever?
Speaker 2: Did this were there red flags about this man.
Speaker 5: After that, things got better eventually blow out, But I.
Speaker 9: Mean like I was still so mad and he made me go out there with him and take a photo like nothing ever happened.
Speaker 4: In our house.
Speaker 5: He got it framed.
Speaker 1: I mean, it is defense. This is a pretty monumental moment here, I know.
Speaker 10: But like my eyes were still puffy and I was crying mad.
Speaker 5: I was wow, I was seriously upset.
Speaker 4: You're not understanding the severity of the situation.
Speaker 1: Now, Lake, did you have any red flags when you saw this kind of response?
Speaker 7: I didn't just how I was saying, Now, you didn't see the severity of the situation. I didn't understand the severity of the situation because again I was like, who.
Speaker 5: Got the most excited?
Speaker 10: Yeah, I even said when you turned around and saw me, you were like.
Speaker 4: Oh no, yeah, I do something was wrong.
Speaker 5: You knew what was wrong.
Speaker 10: Yeah, but obviously, look I won't get wrong.
Speaker 3: This is still a little sensitive.
Speaker 5: You can tell we're better.
Speaker 2: After I hear the story.
Speaker 1: Well, maybe the panel could speak. When I hear the story. I think your boy did what he was trained to do. Sure, I mean it'd be like if a marine was in this situation, this is what he should do, and so that day he was.
Speaker 2: A marine and he did his job.
Speaker 3: Or like or like the frog and the scorpion when the scorpions stings a frog and just doing what do yeah?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 1: So And also in Lake's defense, even though he missed a turkey today right out from under me while while I had my gun laid across my lap like I was his eddy.
Speaker 5: Sure, I'm not a fan.
Speaker 4: His youth.
Speaker 1: Youth, So in his defense, you had yet y'all were just dating. You weren't even engaged. No, So I'm saying there's something there, like if you had done this after you were married, I can see a bigger problem. So I'm kind of coming to the lakes, I guess.
Speaker 9: But like we had already decided we were getting married, like.
Speaker 5: It been talked about. You probably had you gotten the.
Speaker 4: Ring yet, I don't know. That was like four years ago.
Speaker 5: It's the whole thing, is that, Blair.
Speaker 9: We were engaged for a month, so everything was planned before the ring.
Speaker 4: That's what did you say?
Speaker 6: I said I would do it to my wife. Oh he would.
Speaker 9: But like the issue was, like I get that's what he was like trained to do or whatever. The issue was it took like two years to get an apology.
Speaker 6: Oh it sounds like it wasn't genuine.
Speaker 5: No, I feel okay.
Speaker 3: Confession has happened, and you've pulled pulled us into this problem that you've created with with Turkey Man.
Speaker 4: Turkey Man.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if you'd have just told us about this situation before we started hunting yesterday, we could have fixed ahead.
Speaker 2: We should have had this story out on the table last night.
Speaker 4: Hang on and hang on.
Speaker 7: If you're going to start throwing blows, Josh.
Speaker 4: Are we going to talk about yesterday morning? No, we're not.
Speaker 6: I was like, we're.
Speaker 4: Gonna start throwing we're not going to talk about yesterday.
Speaker 3: I got to hear this when I spooked a turkey setting up my camera.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, oh yeah, that's twice turkey. Yeah that's kind of for a cameraman like a miss Yeah.
Speaker 5: Sure, basically that's an equivalent.
Speaker 3: Sure yeah, yep, Well thanks, because that's going to be out to everybody that pays me for doing this job.
Speaker 2: Oh, they don't listen.
Speaker 8: One time I was feeling wheel primos and left my turkey vest about one hundred yards behind us, and we got finally got these turkeys coming in and they're strutting like fifty yards. My camera better DAEs Oh no, yeah, And they come up there like twenty strutting. God, and I ain't got no camera rolling. So I've been there.
Speaker 7: We'll go back to the We went back to the camp that night, me and Brad did and Wilver's just standing in the driveway of the house, just like stoically looking, and I.
Speaker 11: Said, walked up to him, I said, Will. He said, hey, you good? He said, George camera Dad. I went, huh, he said, George camera Dad? Like what did E couldn't kill the turkey?
Speaker 7: I'm like, I'm going to need some elaboration on this tail Like he was just standing out there, just standing looking like.
Speaker 4: A lost child.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it was not a good day. Did he did he?
Speaker 4: I had to say, what did he do? This?
Speaker 6: Said there Washington?
Speaker 2: I tried to I mean, did did did Will?
Speaker 1: I know Will somehow communicated to you his displeasure?
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, no very much.
Speaker 2: I mean did he just straight up go like what are you doing?
Speaker 4: What's wrong with you?
Speaker 2: Or did he just kind of like he walk off?
Speaker 8: I had started when the camera died, the turkeys were still coming in, so I was crawling back to my vest while the turkeys were coming at sixty or fifty yards whatever they were, And I was at my vest when they showed up. So I was just kind of laid back there behind the camera, said if I wasn't with him when it happened, Oh I got you, I have my camera.
Speaker 6: Had already died, and I went to go get batteries.
Speaker 4: Wild.
Speaker 8: I mean, we were looking at the turkeys and I was barely crawling back, like, yeah, I'm finna get fired.
Speaker 6: It wasn't a good day.
Speaker 1: Maybe this is good for the team because we got one day left. All this it's maybe it's turkey It's confession day.
Speaker 3: What Lake said, though filming turkey hunts is the hardest kind of filming here, it is.
Speaker 4: He says that it's not easy. It's not easy.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of components.
Speaker 8: And for whatever reason, not just Mississippi but the South in general, I mean, very rarely do they actually do what they're supposed to do.
Speaker 6: I usually tie you around, you have to get.
Speaker 8: Turned and awkward and holding onto a tree one hand, filming on the other hand, and all kinds of crazy stuff.
Speaker 7: It's like you're saying, like you were thinking he was going to come right at us. I'm like, I'm not surprised at all that turkey skirted us. Cagy things.
Speaker 4: Mmmm, well it's all out now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you sure that's the only thing you've done.
Speaker 7: Let me think on it, let me simmer, and nothing comes to mind.
Speaker 4: No, So tomorrow we'll kind of.
Speaker 3: The day we got it all out on the table.
Speaker 4: Now, yeah, yeah, right, yeah.
Speaker 1: Let me tell one thing I did one time that I kind of feel bad about. So one time I was hunting on public land and there's there's this long ridge that's like a mile long, okay, just a finger ridge and th ozarks And there's one road that goes this finger ridge to a gate, and so if your truck is parked at that gate, you basically have access to this entire finger ridge. Me and you hunted there lot, Josh. And the canyons on either side of the ridge are so deep and steep that there's basically no access to get on this ridge if if you're not walking right down it. And so during the season, one day I pull I usual, I usually get in there so early that I would be the first one at the gate, you know, But this morning I got in there and that somebody beat me to the gate, and somehow I told myself and I don't know, I think I probably actually had information about this. I knew that this guy wasn't going to go very far on this ridge, and I knew there was like a mile and a quarter of hunting, and I knew there were turkeys there because I'd been hunting there. And I felt like that this guy was never going to get past much more than a half a mile down the ridge.
Speaker 6: I already don't like where this is going.
Speaker 2: Well, I did the work, though.
Speaker 1: I knew where to park my truck like a mile away, I mean like three miles from him, and I crossed that deep canyon. In fact, I remember I found a bunch of bear sign down in the bottom of that canyon and came up on the finger ridge and hunting the last tip of it.
Speaker 2: Huh, what do you think?
Speaker 6: Yep?
Speaker 2: Bad, yep.
Speaker 7: Okay, I mean you definitely put some effort in. But yeah, I wouldn't do that.
Speaker 4: Mm hm hm Okay would you do it?
Speaker 6: Jordan?
Speaker 8: No, not if I in that situation, if it was like ten thousand acres back there.
Speaker 6: Possibly, But.
Speaker 2: Okay, well I got that off my chest.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I'm glad you said that, buddy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we got that off.
Speaker 6: We got on ethical clay.
Speaker 3: Ye.
Speaker 7: I have a friend that I just feel the need to tell this story. I'm not going to say who it is because he wouldn't want me to. But I have a friend that we were driving to go turkey on and this was late in the season. I think we were heading somewhere north and he's telling me about his like current escapade that he had. He'd gone somewhere and killed a turkey, and and he's saying, he said, yeah, on the walkout, he said, there's a good many people hunting around. There's selling the walkout, he was plucking feathers from the turkey and putting turkey feathers under all their windshield wipers, like not messing there, not do it. I mean, just like he'd walk by a truck and he'd pluck a feather and just stick it under the wind show wiper and keep going. And I looked over at him, I was driving, and I said, did they do anything to you?
Speaker 4: And he's like, what do you mean?
Speaker 7: I was like, did they come in on you, they harassed you, they part close to you. He's like, no, I was like, bruh.
Speaker 6: He was just letting them know who the dad he was.
Speaker 7: I was like, bruh, you need to get that's some bad ju jus, Like you need to get that off you.
Speaker 4: And he was like no, And then he missed two turkeys in two days.
Speaker 2: Oh really, mm hmm.
Speaker 4: Hmm.
Speaker 6: There's something to it.
Speaker 4: M hmm.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, I'm glad we had this discussion.
Speaker 4: I feel lighter, lighter, You feel lighter.
Speaker 8: Two minute story. The other morning, So my wife killed a turkey. She had we had childcare for Monday when we were playing on hunting. Okay, she ended up eating something didn't agree with her. She didn't feel good that night before, didn't feel good. It was good time to go turkey hunting next morning. So the night before, Lake tells me he's gonna go this spot. Thanks morning. Well, I text him. When I get on the road, I'm like, hey, Jesse is sick, can't go. I'm coming to meet you. I'll be there six o'clock. That's about thirty minutes goes by before I hear anything from him, and he sends me a text and says, hey, I'm going, my buddy, he said. He text me late last night said we're going, so I decided to go with him.
Speaker 6: I'm like, what am I going to do? Now?
Speaker 8: I'm on thirty minutes down the road because you're on his spot heading towards Lake spot.
Speaker 2: Ooh, that's a good one.
Speaker 8: And I go to his spot. I park at his spot at daylight at Gallan Tine. I walk into his spot and guess what's going on back there? A turkey is ripping it. I mean every thirty seconds, gatheroling. I go towards a turkey and my conscience goes eating at me. I get two hundred or so yards from the turkey gabling every thirty four or five seconds and turn around, walk back to my truck. And I'm not saying that. Praise myself, and that's why this guy is good. And like it started eating at me. I was like, Lake has not killed a turkey. I cannot go.
Speaker 2: Do this right, Wow, you've waited this whole podcast to tell.
Speaker 4: Us the sact.
Speaker 6: Jordan, Well, I'm not saying it. It's just like there's certain things.
Speaker 1: Okay, but what did but what did Lake tell you? Did Lake say just go in there? I did tell Okay, I mean that's important.
Speaker 7: Tell them there's some important context. One, I told them to go in there and hunt. Two, I've been burning to get to that spot for a while.
Speaker 4: It wasn't just a random buddy that texts me. It was Keith Pope.
Speaker 7: Yes, Keith polp got me my first turkey ever when I was twelve years old, and I have just so the stars have aligned. Have filmed both of his sons shoot their first turkeys, and now his youngest son is in pursuit of his first turkey. And I promised him a while ago A said whenever Ben goes, I will go.
Speaker 4: So I was gearing up to go to.
Speaker 7: That spot and I get a text at nine forty from Keith says Ben and I are going in the morning, and I said, yep, had.
Speaker 2: He had a noble call, you were doing the right thing.
Speaker 6: So that's how our Monday went.
Speaker 1: Yeah, dang, that's this is compelling. So Jordan, I'm proud of you.
Speaker 6: I appreciate it.
Speaker 8: But I was just tying that back into your story about going around the feather at the gate.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well this was all directed at Clay.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Wow, wow.
Speaker 6: Oh I'll never be invited on this yeah yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: Cut this from the table. Cut blur out Jordan's face. Hmmm, man, Well.
Speaker 4: Did you say I could learn from Jordan in the middle of that?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I would like to point out you did this. I would like to point out there is a gobbler at the Pickle Ponderosa that I have not hunted one time.
Speaker 5: This is true, Okay.
Speaker 9: I was just bringing that back to him one time to hunt where you took my turkey.
Speaker 5: How he had the self controlled.
Speaker 6: That lesson? Man, he would not have done it now.
Speaker 10: Though, this is true. Okay, We're still fine.
Speaker 4: We're fine.
Speaker 10: Wow.
Speaker 2: Wow, this has been great.
Speaker 7: Deep.
Speaker 1: We've learned a lot about every single person at this table, and we learned about Joshus tripp to Patagonia. Oh and the giant brown trout that he killed.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 2: So where are we at with ours?
Speaker 4: I have?
Speaker 6: I have.
Speaker 1: Six chips for lakes turkey and six chips for Josh's Patagonia.
Speaker 6: I have done.
Speaker 3: I've got six chips for Lakes. I don't have any.
Speaker 1: Well, you have more than that, you're you're your yours are even too minor even yours or even so, it's a tie.
Speaker 4: I tell you all missed the turkey today.
Speaker 3: Okay, Lake wins Lake winds.
Speaker 1: I wanted Lake to win, needed it. Well, man, I'm excited. This is my first This has been my first turkey out of the year the last several years, Mississippi has been the first time first turkey out of the year because it opens early, and so it's been a lot of fun. We we covered some miles today. We've had turkeys within gun range two mornings and.
Speaker 3: Killed none one.
Speaker 4: Morning to go.
Speaker 1: So well, anything else, guys, Jordan, you tell us about your real estate business. Anybody needs big land in Mississippi or Arkansas, this is your man.
Speaker 6: Oh, I appreciate that.
Speaker 8: Uh mainly deal with recreational hunting tracks and timberland and delta farm land and pretty much everything we like, you know. And I work at a company call Open Season Properties and been doing it.
Speaker 6: Now for six years, five or six years.
Speaker 1: And yeah, what I do every day y'all have some big y'all sell some big nice properties down here.
Speaker 8: Big nice ones and small nice ones, and every time in between, every oppuzzle piece that fits somebody's needs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yep, yepe and Lake everybody. I'm doing my introductions here at the end. Everybody does Lake. He does Backward University on our.
Speaker 4: Feed uh.
Speaker 1: And do that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yep, that's what you do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, anything else you want to any anything you want to say.
Speaker 4: I think I've said all I can for the time being.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, well, thank you guys. Been a fun conversation. Thank you Lacy. You really brought. You really brought the tea I did on Lake today. It may be the factor that gets us a gobbler in the morning, So.
Speaker 5: Thank you for that.
Speaker 8: We've had a full long confession. So there's nothing left on the plate that is gonna hinder us from a good haunt.
Speaker 4: That's right, that's right, that's right.
Speaker 1: Keep the wild places wild, because that's where the bears live at