Speaker 1: Cool Media. Hello, sixteenth minute listeners.
Speaker 2: I hope everyone is doing all right in the midst of the reboot of Dystopia, the reboot of the reboot. Even Jamie just checking in here really quick to remind you that I am going to be doing two tour shows with the Bechdel Cast this week. If you're listening the day it comes out, I will be in San Francisco on Thursday with the Bechdel Cast. We're covering the movie Titanic, so it's going to be very dumb in the best way with discourse also, so if you are in the San Francisco area, please please attend. If you're not able to afford it, reach out to me on Instagram and we'll figure something out. If you're not in the San Francisco area, you can also buy live stream tickets to our show this Sunday, which is sold out in Portland, Oregon, and we are covering Shrek. Do I have three tubes of green body.
Speaker 1: Paint on the way? Yeah? I think I do.
Speaker 2: So you can buy tickets to livestream that show at links in the description. And with that, here is the much anticipated talk to a series of sixteen minute Dick sucking sucking dick. To put it in the parlance of the terminally online, it's like no big.
Speaker 3: Deal, like sucking dick and cock like I'm just like, oh my god, time and.
Speaker 2: Place many have done it, but the ways in which it should be done has been widely contested throughout history. While a lot of surviving texts on fucking from the distant past are bone chilling, hears something from a Victorian sex guide from eighteen ninety four.
Speaker 4: Most men are by nature rather perverted, and if even half a chance, would engage in quite a variety of the most revolting practices. These practices include, among others, performing the normal act in abnormal positions, mouthing the female body and offering their own vile bodies to be mau to in turn, or this she will lie perfectly still, never under any circumstances grunt or groan while the act is in progress.
Speaker 2: But as women's magazines became more popular throughout the twentieth century, how to best suck dick was a frequently discussed topic in compat publications that only occasionally prioritize the pleasure of anyone who wasn't a sisman. Here's something from a vintage issue of Cosmo.
Speaker 4: A familiar deterrent to female pleasure is the ejaculate itself. What to do with it? Certainly, a woman is entitled to have a simple distast for the smell, the consistency, or the act of receiving semen in her mouth, without any complex emotion or difficulty being invoked to explain her reluctance.
Speaker 2: Or the kind of shit I would read in my friend's mom's bathroom. In the two thousands, at the peak of the Sex and the City craze, where the closest thing to erotic I could conceive of as a child was how that girl from the cover of the Anamorph's book could turn into a hawk.
Speaker 1: Here's some advice from that time.
Speaker 4: Try standing up against a balcony sex. There's a reason this booty style is a staple of every porno flick and X rated photos.
Speaker 2: Bread me eleven years old and nodding my head. Yeah, all I have to do is find a balcony. Advice on how to best make something come out of PEP migrated quickly to the Internet, and while it often produced hilarious and even instructive results.
Speaker 5: So what you're gonna do is just suck as dick, that's like you said you were gonna do.
Speaker 1: And no shortage of porn.
Speaker 2: You'd be hard pressed to find a mainstream Internet character whose identity was tied to this Specifically, that wouldn't involve transcending the stigma of admitting that you watch porn online, which I'm sure you've never done and I would never. But in the same period of time, advice on how to do things like sucking dick and cock became more publicly acceptable to talk about. A strain of catchphrase comedy continued to morph from medium to medium in popularity.
Speaker 1: I'm talking, but what I.
Speaker 3: Really would like to know is, though, what is your opinion on how it's done in Papa Pui.
Speaker 6: And Dyna Mate? Did I do that?
Speaker 5: Well, that's a story of my life, don't respect.
Speaker 7: If you take your dog for a walk and you both use the tree at the corner, you might be a redneck.
Speaker 2: Internet going all the way back to I Want You with Uncle Sam pointing at you on a recruitment poster. Catchphrases have always been a handy, if hacky trick in marketing or propaganda, or as the case maybe both. You get the idea and the Internet didn't change that very much, But it's the makings of iconography, or as the churn of news cycles grows faster, main characters. So now we have catchphrases.
Speaker 1: Like very demure, very mindful, lay.
Speaker 7: Really alone, catch me oft how about it?
Speaker 2: While access has unquestionably expanded as the Internet has grown more commonplace making the people who can personally benefit from this style of comedy has expanded. Someone says something funny and then they expand past that phrase or not, And whether that happens or not isn't always necessarily their fault. Sure, some people just don't have the desire to keep the bit going, reminding me of recent sixteenth minute episode. But others have a blockage to a larger career, hampered by cultural prejudice, bad timing, or often trusting the wrong people with their newfound clout. But until very recently, these two worlds never combined. Catchphrases made their way from the mainstream to Internet culture easily, and so did sucking bit, just ask the Grapefruit Lady. But it was only a matter of time that these two combined, but perhaps not before we needed it the most. During a time of unrest long after the mainstream to Internet fame machines like James Corden and Ellen DeGeneres were dismantled for those people being assholes. I mean, even Fallon can't really hack it in this department anymore. Here he is fighting for his life beside the Rizzler.
Speaker 6: He looks good Twizzer for the Rizzler. See okay, we.
Speaker 4: Have that two big boos boom boom.
Speaker 2: No sucking dick and catchphrase comedy's grand integration would bide its time until a new economy had risen for the overnight star one beyond the basic cable reality show, the lifestyle blog, the ill fated late night show. No, no, indeed, sucking dick and catchphrase comedy would transcend directly from words into a whole new currency. And that phenomenon began on June tenth, twenty twenty four, by one Hailey Welch of Belfast, Tennessee.
Speaker 6: What's one move in bed that makes a man go crazy every time?
Speaker 8: Oh?
Speaker 2: You gotta give him that hawk. Dude spent all that night, Hailey Welch the Hawk to a girl. Your sixteenth minute starts now Joy.
Speaker 6: Sixteen.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to sixteenth minute the podcast where we take a look at the internet's characters of the day and see how their moment affected them and what their moment says about us and the Internet. And this week, I unknowingly bit off a little more than I could chew, something that has certainly never happened before and definitely won't again. But indeed, what began as a lighthearted attempt to profile a young woman from Tennessee who went viral for talking about sucking dick after a bar crawl at Nashville has since become a life consuming, algorithm shattering operation, one that has overshadowed my own engagement. I'm dead serious. The morning after we got engaged, I told the man, I'm going to marry the love of my life. No, I can't take today off, babe, I need to watch all twelve hours of Talk to. But I did find that while I didn't speak with Hailey Welch for reasons that will become obvious, but in short, she's still haunted by a black cloud of potential legal action and an uncertain future. I realized that I can't even guarantee that her fifteen minutes of fame are up, but there's no doubt that she was the main character of the Internet in twenty twenty four, and I haven't really seen anyone else try to take a closer look at how this fame developed, because while there's no shortage of media about Haley, I haven't found anything that's comprehensive or doesn't seem to have an explicit agenda of either lifting her up for personal profit or ironically pushing her down because it's easy. And the more I learned about Haley, the more I found that she's not just very human, but she's a fascinating case study for these specific exploitations and scams that a vulnerable subject is going to be tempted by, and when not surrounded by the right people, can be talked to it into doing some pretty bad stuff. This multi part series is going to be a look at this saga about a twenty two year old growing up in an unstable environment in the Deep South during a time where American culture grew increasingly polarized, politicized, divided by glass.
Speaker 1: And completely online.
Speaker 2: And even though I haven't personally talked to Haley, in the six months or so of her hyperrelevance, she did a lot of interviews both in the mainstream in center to write media outlets, and on her own social media accounts from Instagram to x which she calls it so I will too, Snapchat, TikTok, and her own podcast, which at one point was much more successful than this one, Talk to on the Better Network, otherwise known as the media arm of a Jake Paul led sports gambling company. Huh, and so at many points in this episode, I'm going to let Haley Way in because I'll say it. I'm a bit of a completionist, and I believe I am the first and only person to have watched every single second of Talk to Us.
Speaker 3: When the hell did you have Bobby Lee on the podcast?
Speaker 9: What?
Speaker 6: Hey? It was far away in my.
Speaker 1: Is it photoshop?
Speaker 9: I don't know?
Speaker 6: Did you have him on your podcast?
Speaker 10: Oh?
Speaker 1: Do you know who that is?
Speaker 6: I don't know who he is?
Speaker 9: Who is that?
Speaker 4: Yeah? I know?
Speaker 9: Something actually done a zoom in North Korea a few weeks ago. Huh.
Speaker 2: It has unquestionably been a wild year for Haley. This time last year, she was working at a factory in her hometown, and right now it's still a popular question of whether she's going to be brought to court for becoming the face of a pretty egregious crypto scam.
Speaker 4: I have questions.
Speaker 6: I have questions. I'm raised my hand. Hey, this is one of the most miserable, horrible launches I've ever seen in my life.
Speaker 2: But to begin, if I may get on Jamie's little soapbox. While it would be easy to take this opportunity to dunk on Haley, and I'm not even saying people haven't done that in a funny way, they definitely have. This is a more complicated story than we're giving it credit for. And I figure, if I'm showing empathy to x in Cells on this show, I feel like it's my responsibility to try and understand where she's coming from, because, in one sense, it would be infantilizing of me to suggest that Haley has no idea what she's doing, that she isn't aware that she is participating as the face of a crypto scam, is at least risky, if not outright wrong. But I also know that it's a cultural tendency to take a young woman who fits a number of stereotypes and push the entirety of an illegal scam onto a person who, so at this time last year, was in a working class job, and had never been on a plane before. So for this series, I will need you to join me in having more than one thing be true. Hailey is an adult, and she's young, vulnerable, and navigating a completely new environment full of people with a vested interest in misrepresenting things for personal profit. Something that becomes clear if you take the time to listen to not just what Hailey says, but to how others speak to and represent her. I have no idea what is going to happen with Hailey and this crypto fallout. I have no idea If, like many are speculating and is very common in crypto scams, she completely gets off the hook for this. Maybe she'll want to continue to try to maintain this fame, or maybe the whole thing will have been traumatic enough that she'll want out. It seems like she and I have considerably different politics, very different stances on big stuff like AI and fucking Elon Musk and NFTs, you name it. I think she's pushed some pretty noxious shit, but I don't think that she is the puppet master here. She's the face, and thinking the problem is solved by making her disappear doesn't accomplish anything. Regardless of what you think about her. Everyone who empowered this kind of scam will do it again. And if Haley's association with the Paul Brothers is any indicator, people who have been put through the same ringer she has are all too happy to do it to someone else if there's money in it for them. The threshold for mockery and failure is so low, and honestly, this might even be the parasocial relationship that I have forged with Haley from watching twelve hours of talk To and a bunch of other interviews from some of the most successful and boring podcasts ever committed to the form, like hearing Whitney Cummings say this at the end of the pilot of Talk To a maybe want to blow my head off?
Speaker 1: This is what a podcast is. I always leave a podcast being like, was that anything? But like, it's just two people kicking it. But that's the Internet, right.
Speaker 2: No one has the time or the desire to get to know a person, and that's fine, you've got a life, but that you'd still make the time to tear down a stranger as a sign of the end times without interrogating why you even know she exists? While there's a million end time reasons that that is. Whether it's surveillance TikTok channels, hanging outside bars and hoping to find drunk girls to exploit for men on the street content, whether it's the algorithms trained to boost that content which makes more of it, whether it's opportunistic talent agencies who see dollar signs in a person like Haley and have little to no interest in the safety of their clients because the agents and the Internet understand them to be disposable. Ah, I digress. We're going to try to see Haley Welch as a person someone who grew up with not very much in suburban Tennessee, who is funny and wanted to capitalize on this moment, but I think is unquestionably in over her head. She's someone who, if nothing else, has become convinced that grifting is one of the only ways to get out of the class you were born into in America. So let's see what we can piece together here. Return with me if you dare to. June twenty twenty four. June eleventh, twenty twenty four, Hunter Biden is convicted on three felon accounts of possession while under the influence of narcotics in Delaware. A crash aircraft in Malawi is discovered after a plane goes missing, finding all passengers dead, and a YouTube Instagram and TikTok channel called Tim and DTV posted a video with a pretty drunk twenty one year old Hailey Welch on Broadway Street in Nashville after she and her friends went to cmafest a few nights before. The longest version of this interview is on YouTube, where the two hosts, Darius Marlowe and Tim Dickerson ask all manner of drunk girls the same question they do to Hailey.
Speaker 1: Here are some examples.
Speaker 6: What's one move in a badroom that makes a mango crazy? Backs any any it happened any you just got it like that? Whatever move you got, I got a question.
Speaker 7: What's one move in a beadroom got make a mango crazy?
Speaker 6: So what I know?
Speaker 7: It's what I said on the get I spin around with this still inside.
Speaker 6: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 2: And Haley wasn't even alone in giving the sage advice to never give a dry blow job.
Speaker 1: There's not a specific movie.
Speaker 9: You just gotta have got it, you gotta spit on it, make it way.
Speaker 6: You gotta spin on that thing.
Speaker 2: Come on now, I ain't gotta tal.
Speaker 5: Ry for no reason.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 2: But late in this video enter Hailey Welch and Chelsea Bradford, friends who are interviewed together. And if you're listening to this episode, I'm assuming you've seen this clip, but just in case. Haley is a white girl with blonde hair, wearing a black dress and a Prada necklace and is standing with her best friend Chelsea, who would go on to become a big part of her personal brand. Darius Marlow, a black man in his mid twenties, is doing the interview wearing a red hoodie and is visibly more sober than every woman that appears in the video, and the interview honestly starts kind of boring.
Speaker 6: How do you get over at breakup like we're doing right now? Y'all get over a breakup right now?
Speaker 9: Only way to get over one is get under another.
Speaker 6: Amen. So, so you got a side piece? Maybe? Have I got three? Have I got sevens? There's only one?
Speaker 11: O one?
Speaker 9: But so he's serious, have a boot?
Speaker 6: So how many you got on your roster? I know, hey, four on thy four? I mean we got on your roster.
Speaker 3: None add one maybe I don't know, so.
Speaker 6: I can get your number?
Speaker 3: You can?
Speaker 6: Okay, there you go. Look at it.
Speaker 2: Wow, these guys are really cool, smooth operators and so forth.
Speaker 1: I really think it takes a.
Speaker 2: Man with riz oozing out of his pores to need to buy an entire camera set up and wait across the street from bars in order to get a woman to give him her phone number under duress.
Speaker 1: These guys pissed me off. The interview continues.
Speaker 2: For a while, mostly with Chelsea explaining what her type is while Haley tries to flag down their other friends from across the street where it seems like a different man is bothering them. I can go, Then Haley rejoins the conversation.
Speaker 6: Leave a message to your last body.
Speaker 2: I love you, booky.
Speaker 6: They must have been doing the right thing.
Speaker 9: What can I say?
Speaker 6: Okay, make the cob webs off this say.
Speaker 2: Haley then walks off to go help her friends get out of the situation with the other guy, while Chelsea drunkenly flirts with the host. Then Haley comes back and the host asks for a three sixty of their bodies, which they do not seem comfortable with, and This goes on for a while. Chelsea asked the host for a dirtier question, and Darius pulls out one he's already asked. This is where we get the moment.
Speaker 6: What's one move in bed that make a mango crazy every time?
Speaker 10: One?
Speaker 6: What's one movement mad that make that makes a mano crazy every time? Then you do?
Speaker 3: I do?
Speaker 6: Yeah, that makes a man go crazy every time? It does?
Speaker 9: Not reply.
Speaker 6: In bed, Haley? This is for her?
Speaker 9: What you want to answer this?
Speaker 4: You got it?
Speaker 6: What's one move in bed that makes a mango crazy every time?
Speaker 9: Oh? You gotta give him that hawk dude, spit on that thing.
Speaker 6: I don't get you. I think you gotta demonstrate hawk dudes.
Speaker 2: But just for Haley's future defense, because she's not the one who asked for this question, let's hear that last word from her again. If I see this on my for you page, I'm gonna cry. The interview continues, even though at this point Haley is fully facing the other way and barely engaging, trying to keep an eye on her friends. It ends in the video with Tim and Dee, including Chelsea, saying.
Speaker 6: OK, stay grace a camer.
Speaker 2: She said, we better post it from what I can gather and what these Jabbroni's describe as their process in a later video they post called the Hawk Truth Fuck Me. There was not a formal agreement signed between Tim and D's subject and themselves. And again, how is one able to consent to appear on someone's YouTube channel while they're really drunk. These guys are not journalists, They're using people for entertainment. But there are a lot of layers here. Tim and D are black social media personalities, and there's a demonstrable history in any pop culture of white people taking and profiting from work pioneered and explicitly created by black artists without ever properly crediting them. We've talked about it on this show before, whether it's stealing Julia Harmon's Renegade Dance and turning Addison Ray and Charlie Dmilio to white girls into the famous ones.
Speaker 1: Associated with it.
Speaker 2: We've talked about the unlicensed use and profiting off of Kevin Dodson's hyd Your Kid, hyd Your Wife local news appearance. The list goes on and on, and so when I first heard that Tim and D were frustrated that they were not credited as Haley Welch's jumping off point platform. I wanted to hear them out because it is true that when the Hawk too a meme, and by that I mean just this very short version of the interview.
Speaker 6: What's one move in bed that makes a man go crazy every time?
Speaker 9: Oh, you gotta give him that hawk, dude.
Speaker 7: Spend on that night.
Speaker 6: I'm trying to see what that be like.
Speaker 2: Right then went turboviral. A lot of people did scrub Tim and D's watermark from the video as it went viral, and Tim and D claimed that they filed a number of copyright claims. But but my thing is if your business model is lurking outside bars to see if women will talk to you so you can both profit from their likeness and try to get their phone numbers, which these men do all the time in their videos.
Speaker 4: How many kids you walk, Caroline, I'd like two or three children.
Speaker 6: I'm looking for two or three tools. Oh really, should we get married?
Speaker 3: There?
Speaker 6: We should? We should? We said, I'm already in your heart. Maybe I can say that you like me.
Speaker 2: I don't care about your water bark. Right, let's put a pin in that. Whether the fellows are watermarked or not, this mysterious blonde from Tennessee was an instant viral and mainstream hit. Talk to A goes mainstream in a way that few memes do nowadays. It's impressive, and while it's true that Haley fits the bill for a viral star willing to engage for all the biased algorithmic reasons, it's still unusual for something to break through this significantly in twenty twenty four. But during that first week, she didn't come forward and claim the clip as her own, and her friend Chelsea, who apparently encouraged Haley to talk to Tim and D on the street in the first place, felt massively guilty about it. This is from episode two of Talk to A, recorded on Haley and her granny's front porch in Belfast, Tennessee.
Speaker 9: I only locked myself in that bedroom for like two weeks. I went to work and then I come straight home. I wouldn't even go a storing at gas. I was like, everybody and their mama knows me around here. I was like, I can't do it. Yeah, dressed in hats and so.
Speaker 2: I don't know how the releases with these kinds of videos work, and again question the ethical nature of convincing a drunk person to sign a release if they even do that. But based on Haley's reaction, which is consistent in other interviews, it is clear that no one from Tim and D's team were following up with her to make sure that she was comfortable with her drunken likeness being posted across platforms for anyone to see. Haley wouldn't offer up her own identity until July first, when she hard launched her media personality and brand after a two punch appearance. On June twenty ninth, she appeared at country star Zach Bryan's concert in Nashville on stage, and then on July first, she formally launched her official social media presence, which nuked any impostors who had intentionally or mistakenly been identified as.
Speaker 1: Hawk to a Girl.
Speaker 2: So much had happened in the massive scramble to capitalize on a meme that its subject hadn't yet claimed in those interceding weeks, writer Max Reid clocked the classics. Someone got the obligatory hawk to a tattoo, there was custom truck vinyl, and there was a slew of false rumors about who Hailey really was. Since bust admits play on what are now popular narratives surrounding the overnight internet sensation. One claimed that she was a preschool teacher who had lost her job over the video being posted. Another falsely said she was a local bartender. Others falsely said she had signed with UTA. But the first few days of July are critical for Haley. First, she posts the clip of her at Zach Bryan, launching a new Instagram account that quickly garnered over a million followers, as well as an official TikTok account. In the coming months, she would expand to x and Snapchat as well. And there's also.
Speaker 1: Haley's first podcast appearance.
Speaker 2: On the Plan Brix Uncut podcast, hosted by Brianna LaPaglia, who was at the time country star Zach Brian's girlfriend. And if you're twenty two, you know that's no longer true. If you don't know that, it's outside.
Speaker 1: Of the scope of this show.
Speaker 2: What is within the scope of this show is that Plan Brix Uncut and LaPaglia herself are linked with Barstool Sports podcasts, which at the time was a clear indication to me that Haley Welch was never going to answer my DM Anyways, This is Haley's real release into the world as a media personality, and it's a pretty successful launch. As a controlled introduction of her. She discusses the weirdness of the last three weeks of her life to Brianna in a really relatable way.
Speaker 10: All right, guys, welcome back to another episode of Plan Brion Cut. I have someone that was harder to track down than Osama bin Laden. We have the hook talk girl Haley here. Oh my gosh, thank you so much. This is your first podcast ever, first anything ever. Yes, Oh my gosh, how do you feel.
Speaker 1: Are you nervous?
Speaker 9: I'm a little nervous.
Speaker 1: She's a little nervous.
Speaker 10: She was scared coming in, but she wanted to come on a podcast that was with a woman first, So I'm like so grateful it was me and that you chose to come on this one.
Speaker 9: Yes, maam.
Speaker 2: This is something that comes up with Haley again and again that I found pretty endearing and relatable. She's more comfortable around women and generally trusts them more good rule of thumb if you asked me.
Speaker 1: And also, she.
Speaker 2: And LaPaglia don't miss the opportunity to talk about why this clip happened in the first place, and how Haley felt about Tim and Dee.
Speaker 1: Haley told us he was a YouTuber.
Speaker 9: He never said anything like about you know, Instagram, TikTok, nothing in those sorts. I was like, oh, well, I'm never gonna say this again. Sure enough, I seen it again.
Speaker 2: And the next day, July second, It's announced that Haley now has professional representation with a management company called The Penthouse, and got a write up in The Hollywood Reporter. It's possible she went with this company because they had offices in both Los Angeles and Nashville, which is an hour from where Haley lives.
Speaker 4: From the article, the world's gone crazy for Haley. I'm glad our team can help guide this rocket ship. All the podcasters are right. Spend five minutes with her and you'll see why she is America's sweetheart. The Penthouse founder Johnny Forster said in a statement.
Speaker 2: The announcement included a hint that she'd be launching more social media endeavors soon, and it also retained an attorney, Nashville's Christian Barker, who had the following to say.
Speaker 4: Haley has arisen to fame with her cheeky humor known to her friends as the female Theo Vaughn, but after getting to know her on a greater level, I think her small town, grassroots story and how a chance encounter on Broadway took her on this unexpected path to start them will resonate with millions. We are proud to represent her on this journey.
Speaker 2: Then, on July third, Haley posted a video to Instagram about the three best and worst parts of going viral, revealing both that she'd quit her day job at the end of June, that paparazzi had been outside of her home for weeks, and she ends on this point.
Speaker 9: And by the way, there's one more thing that's really pissing me off. Any of you selling or purchasing merchandise online. It's not from me, it's not approved by me, and it's counterfeit, and I'm not making a damn dime off of any of it. But I just hired a manager and I hired an attorney, so we're coming for you. But don't worry. I'm watching my March store very soon, and you'll be the first to note to get your official.
Speaker 2: Talk to March from me. And here's where Tim and d come back in, Because while there was no shortage of unlicensed talked To a merch making the rounds. By this time, you might remember a popular design was talk To twenty twenty four, which is a teaser for how obnoxiously politicized viral moments become during election years. What's important, though, is that Tim and DTV we're also monetizing Haley's image. So we'll return to the life and times of an increasingly chaotic year for Haley Welch in just a moment. But first when we come back, Tim and d try to get theirs. Welcome back to sixteenth minute. Why is this the hardest I've ever worked on an episode of this show? And we're back with the life and times of Hailey Welch aka the Hawk to a Girl. By early July, Hailey had ostensibly made the decision to capitalize on a viral moment that had left her house bound for well over a week earlier that month, a decision that frustrated the Man on the Street YouTube channel who had originally posted the clip.
Speaker 1: Tim and D TV.
Speaker 2: So we're going to go on a little side quest because two of the issues that Hailey Welch singled out when going public as Hawk to a Girl in early July, was her annoyance at being posted at a time she was drunk and others capitalizing on her by printing merch that she was not involved in. Tim and D did both of these things and had more success than you might think, complaining that Hailey didn't give them enough credit for and I repeat, posting a video of her very drunk online saying something funny without giving her compensation or checking in for her permission. The two did post their own Hawk to Emerch on their merch store, even using Haley's image on them, and their defense at having done so is incredibly weak. I was able to find that by the end of June, Tim and D were in fact selling Hawk to E Merch, and here is their self posted defense in their video, The Hawk Truth for doing so, ripping off of an early interview with Haley.
Speaker 10: Like selling like if you were selling merch right, which you are, I'm saying that would annoy me.
Speaker 1: I think if other people were selling.
Speaker 6: It right, so she with their face on it. That was one thing I found pretty interesting.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I like the guys that interviewed.
Speaker 1: Us, Yeah.
Speaker 9: Eah.
Speaker 8: But at the beginning of that merge, man we A was one of the last ones to come out with merch. Second, that shit went viral, everybody on TikTok shop going crazy. Bro, we only had our march out for like a week, no more than two weeks. We ended our started our shit on like June twenty third, and that bitch on like.
Speaker 7: Eight trying to kiss away like we was just trying to be.
Speaker 8: A part and the merch was just a promotional thing for the video.
Speaker 2: So their argument is, as many others would become, well, we wanted to get in on it because it's our video, and besides, it was only up for a few weeks. The fact that Tim and D can make money on this business model at all is ridiculous to me. But they were really trying to make money off of this.
Speaker 9: Look.
Speaker 8: Man, hey, we just dropped our official merch link would be a description timodtv dot com. We got the best out, best quality, best price, best everything, y'all go cobb it link in the description best out, describe from roll to a honey Kke and so.
Speaker 2: On July third, twenty twenty four, the same day that Haley expressed her frustration at others profiting from her likeness, Tim D got a spotlight in the motherfucking New York Times.
Speaker 4: The guys behind hawke to a girl would like a little credit. At the end of the day, nobody would know who she was if we didn't bring it to light and post it. Mister Marlowe said, a lot of the audience who hadn't seen us before think we grew off this one clip. People were treating it like we or nobody's and didn't already have a platform.
Speaker 2: I'm not going to check who wrote it, but this is a straight up bad article. The writer behind this piece could not be bothered to watch the full interview, which was available on Tim and D's YouTube channel over a week before the day of publication, in which many of the guy's statements in the New York Times piece can be disproved on their own YouTube channel from the article.
Speaker 4: Eventually, they recalled miss Welch encouraged mister Marlowe to quote spice up the questions.
Speaker 6: End quote.
Speaker 4: Mister Marlowe complied, asking what's one move in bed that makes a man go crazy? Every time? That catapulted Miss Welch into internet fame.
Speaker 2: But not only was this a question that they had asked virtually every other woman they spoke to that night, it was not Hailey Welch who asked for a spicier question, that was Chelsea Bradford, As their own video demonstrates.
Speaker 6: You're a spicy are what's one movement bed that make a mangle?
Speaker 2: But more to the point, the New York Times does not bring up the question of consent here you know the paper of record that didn't report on Israeli war crimes, that New York Times. The article continues to lay out the plight of the guys.
Speaker 4: Soon they said, they began to hear from bigger fish in the media pond complex Barstool Sports only fans, to the pair's disappointment, though these inquiries were only to find out how to get in touch with miss Welch, who had become the subject of a fire hose of online rumors about her job and the fallout from her viral moment. Miss Welch many of them. In an interview with Brianna LaPaglia of Barstool Sports, such is life in the viral content mill.
Speaker 2: In Tim and D's YouTube rehash of what happened between them, Hayley and Chelsea, they share screenshots of a number of dms, mainly with Chelsea in the days that followed their original video. That reveals a number of things. First, that Chelsea had reached out to them four days after the video was first posted, saying that she had been blocked by them on TikTok and just wanted to see what was said in the video. She messages them on June fifteenth.
Speaker 5: Not sure why you blocked me on TikTok when you literally have a video of me posted on there. I don't even care about it anymore. I just want to see what you're posting. I'm terrified I said some shit that I don't remember, and I know you're going to post it regardless, So just unblock me. Cry emoji.
Speaker 4: The guys reply potential opportunity for her or both if you're interested.
Speaker 2: In their verbal explanation of why they did. This is the fall up week.
Speaker 8: We gonna come up to her.
Speaker 6: Came up to her.
Speaker 7: I don't I don't think that's how that happened.
Speaker 6: No, that's that's not how that happened.
Speaker 7: She most definitely walked across the street.
Speaker 6: We were reminding our business.
Speaker 7: It was at the end of the night. I had the camera in my head. We were looking at clips. We was like, man, do we have enough?
Speaker 8: It was like two latest hell and they camera out seeing the camera and try to see what's up.
Speaker 7: Hold on, anyone tell them the realism where.
Speaker 8: They came with, Yeah, yeah, we're gonna get to that.
Speaker 6: We don't get to that. We're gonna get to that.
Speaker 3: Hey.
Speaker 9: I think he posted the full video on YouTube this past Sunday, But Hamley told us he was a YouTuber. He never said anything like about, you know, Instagram, TikTok, nothing of the sort. So I was like, oh, well, I'm never gonna see this again.
Speaker 8: So just so y'all know, before anybody is in a video, we let them know, yes it's for YouTube.
Speaker 6: Y'all subscribed, we are YouTubers, but.
Speaker 8: We tell we tell them it's Instagram, YouTube, TikTok, all that that's exactly what we say.
Speaker 6: I mean for every platform.
Speaker 8: If it's going on YouTube, wouldn't you expect it to go on every other platform is going on social media? We show everybody Instagram is our biggest platform because that has the most following, most engagement, in the most views. So we show the Instagram and we show the reals tab as you could pop up the clip that we're literally showing them and telling them our Instagram handle.
Speaker 2: But Haley and Chelsea didn't agree to the video, something that becomes clear. Tim and D make straw man arguments that contradict each other frequently. If the girls didn't want the video up, they should have reached out to the guys, but when Chelsea did reach out to them, for some reason, it's too late. And besides, on TikTok, they didn't follow the girls, so they never saw the message, making Tim and D blameless for not knowing that Haley or Chelsea had wanted the video down for days, much less have the men profit from it. They claim, if the girls had reached out before the next morning, truly twelve hours later when they posted the clip, they would.
Speaker 1: Have agreed to blur the girl's faces, but that.
Speaker 2: Seems unlikely as I couldn't find an example of them ever having done that across their content. Tim and D also said that they offered Haley money in the video. They say they offered ten thousand dollars allegedly, but the screenshots they shared don't seem to back this up from what I could see. The screenshots they share while they're making that claim, are only offering to include the girl's Venmo handles on screen if they agreed to make another video with Tim and D, sharing that outlets like Complex and Playboy had reached out to them asking for more collaborative content, and supposing they did offer that ten thousand dollars, it was long after the video had blown up. This whole situation is just like a mess in the way that people in their early twenties are a mess. I'm not saying there wasn't mutual mess involved. Another thing I learned was that Haley had admitted to contacting Tim and D's channel from a burner account she'd created, requesting that the video be taken down because she was embarrassed. And when the pair release merged from Haley's face on it, Chelsea did ask them for a free T shirt.
Speaker 1: But ultimately, for me, these.
Speaker 2: Actions absolutely pale in comparison to the perceived entitlement that Tim and D and content creators like them have when it comes to people whose formal permission they don't have to exploit. I'm sorry these guys are losers, because for every fake show of support they show for Haley.
Speaker 8: You know what I'm saying, We were supporting them as we said in our New York Times article there was the first one would interview us. We said, we want the best for them, And even though they was doing all the podcasts talking shit, we didn't feel bitter about anything, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 7: Because at the end of the day, it was almost like she was all like our child, our baby, like.
Speaker 3: She came from what.
Speaker 7: She came from us, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: What it's meant moments later with dismissal and mockery.
Speaker 10: Well, they might argue that you're making money off of it and event.
Speaker 9: Oh but what about that video they first posted when all this shit started. I don't get any money.
Speaker 6: Off of them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, look it suck my left lip.
Speaker 8: Yeah you should definitely, Oh, disrespect you left look left loop?
Speaker 6: Oh what happened.
Speaker 11: To the right one?
Speaker 2: In the screenshots they share, Chelsea is having these conversations with the guys prior to early July when Haley got representation, not Hailey herself, and Chelsea is replying pretty civilly to them. The only perceived mistake she makes is wanting the shirt they made of the viral moment when they were asked to collaborate with Tim and d in exchange for a small bit of the revenue on merch that was already live. Chelsea responds to them on June twenty second.
Speaker 5: She'll be capitalizing on it herself. Playboy got ahold of me already, and I've read her everything you said, and she don't want y'all benefiting from it because of how y'all did her before it got as big as it did. If she asked you right now not to post the whole interview, you would anyway.
Speaker 2: And based on the fact that these guys didn't get consent in any formal way and were belligerent and evasive when confronted, I don't think Chelsea is out of line here, Nor was it unwise for Haley to retain her own representation, because well, yes, it is super silly for hawk to a girl to have professional reps. In some ways, it's been completely obscured that this fame was something that happened when she was very drunk at the suggestion of her friend, that was posted without any sober or written consent, and the moment initially mortified and embarrassed her. So after a period where her identity was being claimed by others and paparazzi had found her family's home in Belfast.
Speaker 1: She found an.
Speaker 2: Attorney and a manager in her area. And this is another thing that has come up on our show multiple times. Both Kevin Dodson and Tessica Brown the Gorilla Glue Girl, quickly retained representation after their viral moments, not just to reclaim and clarify their image, but to protect them from an entertainment world that they didn't have experience in and hadn't really signed up for. I would put Haley Welch firmly in this category, although of course by July second people were already tiring of the meme. Yeah, most of their responses are classic talked to a girl, Oh my god, society is freaking cooked. This has happened since time immemorial, and anyone who says it is corteous. Fuck, especially if you follow it up by saying, and the Simpsons predicted it, shut the fuck up. The only contact I've seen Haley ever make with Tim and d following this story was an Instagram DM following the launch of her podcast talk to in September of twenty twenty four, a DM which the guys admit they never replied to because they didn't know if they were okay with her offering them exactly what they asked for attention. In an appearance on her popular podcast, after saying she wasn't comfortable with how she became famous, yeah, I.
Speaker 9: Was like, that was the only part of the conversation that was funny. Haggy's dropping more videos is like the weeks go on and I'm like.
Speaker 3: No, I wid me after he dropped the next one, and You're like, Chelsea, this is bad, and you were like bawling your eyes out, and I was like fuck. So I left work real quick, and I was like, I'm coming over, and I came over and we didn't leave the house for.
Speaker 9: The second one. Which one was it? Which one was? The second one was one I love you put here the cob web.
Speaker 3: The co web. So that's the one you were the most worried about.
Speaker 2: So this begs the question what do Tim and Dee want? You'd think that if the two really thought they had a shot at the rights to the catchphrase or to Haley's likeness, they would be after the management team that appears to have advised Haley to cut them off.
Speaker 1: But they are clearly.
Speaker 2: Upset with her specifically, when.
Speaker 8: I was talking to her, I was giving her the Instagram They know it's for you too.
Speaker 6: You go to answer like I mean.
Speaker 7: And at the time we had around with ninety two k they knew what they were getting into. We showed, yeah, we had we had, you know, proof to show that, hey man, this can go viral. You're not just We're not no Joe Slowe's out here doing this for fun. It was out of our control, so we just thought, hey, we might as well give credit where credit is due, Like.
Speaker 6: It's them, you know what I'm saying. Here they are We.
Speaker 8: Were trying to give them that, you know what I'm saying. They wanted the fame. That's why they got in the video. They wanted the cloud, They got the cloud.
Speaker 2: The cynical answer is I think that it's Haley's name that's relevant and ripping on her is likely to get more views. And if that's the logic, they were totally right about that. The Hawk Truth is Tim and D's second most successful YouTube video ever, right after the original Hawk to a video. So after I'd gone through all of this, I was trying to get to the bottom of why exactly did Tim and D feel that they were entitled to Haley's success other than the fact that they posted the video, because ethically, I don't think they have a case whatsoever, which is probably why they're pleading that case doesn't seem to have yielded very much. But why do they think they're entitled to this success? And why was Haley's attempt to reclaim her own likeness so upsetting to them when they were passively benefiting from something that she said. Probably because the people whose media they're modeling theirs on didn't usually have those problems. So for the moment, we're going to leave Haley Welch in early July, right when she hard launched herself as a media personality who very much intended to lean into her fifteen minutes, and we're going to take a look at the exploitative media environment she was born from. This Thursday, we talked to special guest Courtney Kochek and traced the origins of confronting drunk women on the street for personal profit. That's Thursday on Sixteenth Minute.
Speaker 11: Sixteenth Minute is a production of Cool Zone Media and iHeartRadio. It is written, posted, and produced by me. Jamie rostis our executive producers are Sophie Lichterman and Robert Evans. Pre amazing Ian Johnson is our supervising producer and our editor.
Speaker 1: Our theme song is by Sad thirteen. Voice acting is from Grant Crater and Pet.
Speaker 2: Shout outs to our dog producer Anderson my Katz Flee and Casper and by Pet Rothberd whole outlive us, all Bye,