Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news.
Speaker 2: Welcome to our global TV and radio audiences. I'm Danny Berger alongside David gera data showing the US economy grew at a weaker than expected pace. Well the Fed's preferred inflation gauge cooled in June. Let's bring in White House National Economic Council Director Kevin Hassett. Kevin, we can talk about the state of this economy in just a moment, but I want to begin with what you discussed yesterday yesterday before this FED decision, saying that you have full confidence in Chair Kevin Walsh. Now, it is a market that has rethought, that is losing confidence, with long term yields pushing at their highest in more than two decades. And at the same time, economists giving counsel that they don't think that they are fully confident in this FED either, Director Hassett, do you still have full confidence in FED share work?
Speaker 1: Of course, of course, and there's a natural transition time where a new leader comes in and.
Speaker 3: Tries to get the house at order.
Speaker 1: I think that that there were three dissensions or three descents, but that happened to j. Powell in the past, as well, the descents all came from regional FED presidents, not from the actual governors, and so it sounds like he's got his house in Washington in order, and we'll look forward to seeing how it's going forward. But I think that his job just got a little bit easier if you looked at the pc data that just came out, which was actually a top line of negative, which is very unusual. Core dropped a lot, and so I think the inflation numbers have continued to head in the direction that we saw with the previous CPI number, which is, you know, an objective of the FED is to get those numbers down.
Speaker 4: And we heard from him after the last CPI report not to look at one set of data discreetly, but picking up on what Danny was asking out just a moment ago, there does seem to be some concern here that there is no clear reaction function at this time, no clear analytical framework from this FED.
Speaker 3: Is that a concern to you?
Speaker 4: Is it something that you think that the FED suer has to work to remedy here in meetings ahead.
Speaker 1: Well, again, I think that the Fed's old political reaction function was based on out noted science regarding the Phillips curve and if you get a little bit of growth, then you got to high rates. But that model assumes that the growth is coming from demand side factors.
Speaker 3: I think what Kevin worsh.
Speaker 1: Has done is he's brought in a brain trust of some of the smartest people on earth to help rethink what's given all the science we've had on what happens with our supply versus demand shocks, what should the FED be doing? And it's a lot different than what the FED staff has been advising people who do over the last few years. And so I would say we're going to have a new, improved and much better reaction function, and that that's happening.
Speaker 3: Relatively quickly because Kevin's putting some of.
Speaker 1: The smartest people have been working on this their whole career, like Karen Dinan at Harvard, to help him think about how to do that.
Speaker 2: He might have his house in order, as you say, Director Hassett, but again, it's a market that is not in order. It is a long end yield, the thirty year yield, which yesterday closed at its highest since two thousand and seven at five twenty. Are you concerned that this is a FED cher that does not have control of being markets because director has. That makes your life much harder. It makes this economy and consumers who want to buy a house, it makes their life much harder. In you as you looked at the cost of servicing debt.
Speaker 1: Look, the bottom line is that Kevin Worsh was there before. He's an incredibly experienced sky He's well respected and well liked by his colleagues, even the Democrats on the board. And he'll do what the data say he should do, and he'll be independent. And the fact is that the data right now are taking the pressure off the FAED, and I think that the markets will get around to see in that maybe they need another couple of prints like the one we saw today from PSE. But we should also talk about the GDP numbers today a little bit, because I think that they've been miscovered quite a bit. The fact is that final sales were up almost four percent. We had a big boom in consumption, a big boom in investment. We even had big positive housing members and those were offset in the bottom line because the capital spending that we're doing is imported capital goods, which so you subtracts from that and then also because of a technical changes.
Speaker 3: In the price of oil, they revalued the.
Speaker 1: Oil inventories that's subtracted from GDP as well. So I think that the final sales number of three point nine is really what I would say is the signal. So it's not a half full glass of GDP, it's a full glass.
Speaker 3: Full glass of GDP.
Speaker 4: I want to pick up on something you said, You've known Kevin warsh for an awful long time through Republican policy circles and certainly your time institution, and I'm curious. I think an open question here is is Kevin Warrish a hawk or a dove? What would your answer to that question be.
Speaker 1: I think he's a realist, but he's really serious about getting inflation back to its target.
Speaker 3: That's his job.
Speaker 1: He's a very, very pragmatic person who understands the responsibility of the FED is a dual mandate, and the part of the mandate that's been out of control recently is inflation.
Speaker 3: And most of that was not the Fed's fault.
Speaker 1: Most of that happened, or at least not directly, because remember what happened was that right after o'biden took office, we had this massive stimulus, even though the COVID episode had mostly ended, and that massive stimulus was like a helicopter drop of cash into the economy. The thing is that the FED was in denial that that would cause inflation for almost a year, and that's how inflation got out of control. But the stimulus that actually caused the inflation was the reckless.
Speaker 3: Spending by Joe Biden.
Speaker 1: And I can promise you that this administration is not going to do.
Speaker 3: Anything like that.
Speaker 2: I mean again, Director Hassid, I would point out that we've had a lot of stimulus from this administration as well, be it COVID checks themselves or what we've seen in the One Big Beautiful Bill. Even so, it is a president who yesterday echoed what you're saying, his confidence in Chair Hasset, but at the same time said that it's a difficult task because this is a Federal Reserve who is political, Director Hasset, who is political at the FED?
Speaker 3: Would you view the three.
Speaker 2: Descents as we saw in favor of a hike, were those political votes by those FOMC members.
Speaker 1: Well, I can't climb inside the heads of those folks. But as you know, before Kevin came into the FED that many times even you know, on this network I talked about the sort of the fuddling movements of the FED. So Joe Biden's stimulating the economy like crazy and the FED saying it's transitory supply disruption, when obviously, you know, I had interviews in May of that year where.
Speaker 3: I said, it looks like inflation is going to be around seven.
Speaker 1: Percent because of the big chunk of demand that was being thrown into the economy by the bidens.
Speaker 3: That FED ignored that.
Speaker 1: They didn't really start tightening until Jay Powell was reappointed as a FED chair, and then they cut rate sharply right before the election in order to help Kamala Harris. When President Trump, in contrasts, was elected, then even before he was inaugurated in the first term, the FED started hiking rates in that December, and so that the patterns of their movements had been very, very suspicious, And so I don't want to speak to specific people, but those patterns are very suspicious, and I think that that's the kind of thing that's going to end now with Kevin.
Speaker 2: Worrisch again, director has it. I just have to push back against this. It's a FED that cut rates since Trump's been in office. So I don't see how that is necessarily suspicious. I don't want to rehash the conversation we had last time, but that pattern's not there. As you say, Sure they cut before Trump came into office, but it's a FED that ease rates with Trump as president.
Speaker 1: Look, look, the pattern I've described is not in dispute, and I think that what's going to happen going forward is that the FED will be responsive to the economic data and be independent because Kevin is going to be there and he's going to manage the people who had tried not to be independent. And so I'm very, very bullish about the prospects of the FED policy moving forward in the proper direction, the nonpartisan and independent direction.
Speaker 4: I'm struck by how much we're talking about the Biden administration and looking back and perhaps can look forward here in the minutes that we have left, there's a war going on in the Middle East, there's still war in Ukraine, and we have an administration now for which you work that's imposed these new terrorists Undersection three oh one. What do you say to American consumers who acknowledge the fact that the inflation level is higher than the FEDCE target, and are worried that those two inflationary issues could make inflation more troublesome, more nettlesome, or even go higher here in the months ahead.
Speaker 1: Well, I think that if you look at the positive prints we've had for CPI and PCE, you can see that energy is just a small part of the inflation story. So we've seen drug prices come down because of Trump our X, We've seen our deregulatory efforts lower prices for just about everything.
Speaker 3: We've seen the great work of.
Speaker 1: Brooke Rowlins and the active harbond help food prices get under control. The only thing everybody was talking about when we first got here was egg prices.
Speaker 3: Egg prices are at.
Speaker 1: An almost all time low because we've done a much better job managing the av and flu than the previous administration. So I think the price pressure is easing all around, and energy prices have for sure blipped up again for a while. But I think that if you look at futures markets, they expect that to recover relatively quickly, and that's our hope as well.
Speaker 2: Why isn't that what we heard from Chair war about that inflation still being an issue they're committed to two percent said that they're watching it. Kevin worsh did Director Hassett, It doesn't sound like a Federal Reserve that's or a chair that's on the same note as you are.
Speaker 3: No, I disagree.
Speaker 1: I said things are head to get the right direction, and that's reassuring for the Fed. And I think that he's saying that he still has work to do and saying you have work to do and things are head to get the right direction.
Speaker 3: They're not contrasts at all.
Speaker 4: Kevin has let me pull an audible here. He wrote a book in two thousand and two called Bubbleology, And as you look at the AI sectors we've been doing over the course of the morning, are there warning signs that you see that we could be in bubble territory here?
Speaker 1: You know the difference I first know and the difference between the dot com boom of the nineties and what we're seeing now with AI is that the AI companies are actually making money. So remember back then we had insane valuations for firms that had yet to make any money at all, And so you can wonder a lot ever going to make money. Pets dot com, Are they ever going to make money.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: It turns out the bottle of taking dog food to your houses worked pretty well for Amazon. But back then, you know, the early firms that were doing that, you know, they all went out of business. And so it ended up being that there was enthusiasm about the Internet that in the long run, was good enthusiasm, but it created a lot of failure business failure. Here, we've got like a few companies that have this remarkable investment that's increasing investment, that's increasing the productivity of firms all across the country, and they're charging their customers for the service in the terms of you know, billions of billions of dollars. And so when you see real money and real success and real productivity growth and so on, then there's a rational explanation for why.
Speaker 3: The increase in value is happening.
Speaker 1: Now, whether it goes too high or too low, that's something the market will figure out. But it's much harder to have a rational expectation for why things are going up when you don't see you don't see the money.
Speaker 2: All right, Director House, we really appreciate your time this morning, as we always do. Thank you for joining us. White House National Economic Council Director Kevin Hassett. Thank you,