Speaker 1: Hey, this is Brian Alvarez and this is today's edition of the Wrestling Observer Daily podcast on the eight Side Network, live.
Speaker 2: From San Francisco. I'm a sports byline broadcasting network. You are listening to Wrestling Observer Live with your hosts Brian Alvarez and Mike Semper vv Right you ready, You're ready, Let's get it off.
Speaker 1: How's it going to everybody? Brian Alvarez here on or Wrestling Observer Live. We are here every day Monday through Friday, New Pacific three Eastern Sunday three Pacific sixth Eastern Saturday Mornings with Jim Valley, Tenday Pacific one Eastern Sunday's with andrews Arian. It is Wednesday here on the show, is it not? Is it Wednesday?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: The June twelfth aw Dynamite is tonight. We'll talk about that show. We got matches announced, seven segments announced for the show. They just added an interview with Swartz Trickling. We'll go over the lineup for that show. Last night, of course, was NXT the fallout from the pay per view the pl this past weekend. We'll give you the full NXT television report, not exactly the most newsworthy show. Although yes, Cody Rhodes was on the show and he didn't do much, but they did have a funny moment. We'll talk about that. But he was there. And obviously the idea is they want to beat tonight's aw Dynamite in both the ratings and eighteen to forty nine. They had a very little competition yesterday and Dynamites face and competition tonight, so they think this might be the week to be able to do it. We shall find out. We've also got an announcement from WWE and Noah is going to be made this weekend. We'll talk about that. It's gonna be teased. Ardie Evans, who recently resigned from TNA, is now working for ae W. So that was quick. We got the raw ratings from Monday night. We've got an update on the Rock who got injured while he was filming The Smashing Machine, a bio pic on Mark Kerr. We've got oh god Rick Flair and Vince Russo and Eric Bischoff and Jim Herd. Do you we have to talk about WCW today. I just talked about it for an hour. By the way, for the lapsed fan should be up very soon. If you want to listen to that I did watch episode two. If you got questions, text him four two five seven eight zero seven five sixty six A lot to get into today back in a moment Observer Live.
Speaker 3: Okay, we are running a car right now to help veterans all across America. So if you have an old car, truck, or van, even a motorcycle or an RV sitting around, you can right now give it away and help the vets. They really need your help and your car will help support the vets in their families. And guess what, you even get a tax donation. Plus we'll even come and pick up your car for free. And all you've got to do is pick up your phone right now and make a free call. Now is the perfect time to do something good for the vets. Give back to the vets right now for all they've done for this country, and your old car can really help them. So call the Veterans Car Donation Program right now for free pickup of your vehicle. Help the Vets and help your taxes at the same time. Call right now.
Speaker 4: Eight hundred two one five six eight one two eight hundred two one five six eight one two, eight hundred two one five six eight one two. That's eight hundred two one five sixty eight twelve.
Speaker 5: How would you like to go in a five five star vacation for just ninety nine dollars. We're talking about the quality of a Westgate resort for ninety nine dollars, not for one night, but for three fantastic nights at one of their luxurious destinations across the United States, and you'll eave and get a free one hundred dollars Visa gift card just for making a reservation. We've got some of the choicest destinations that you'll love in the United States that you can choose from for just ninety nine dollars for a three nights day, take your family, take a special love one but get away, go on vacation with Westgate Resorts.
Speaker 3: Call now to make a reservation.
Speaker 5: For just ninety nine dollars and you get a free one hundred dollars Visa gift card. Cool Westgate right now and book your vacation.
Speaker 6: Here's the number.
Speaker 4: Eight hundred two nine two sixty one five six eight hundred two nine two six one five six eight hundred two nine two sixty one five six. That's eight hundred two nine two sixty one fifty six.
Speaker 6: This sponsored by Afterschool Alliance, a million people are rallying for after school as part of the twenty fourth annual Lights On after School organized by the After School Alliance. The event shines a light on the many ways after school programs engage children in youth by making learning fun and providing educational and enriching activities. After school programs are especially important as students recover from the pandemic, but funding shortfalls have left nearly twenty five million kids without the after school programs their parents want for them. Quality after school programs keep kids safe, inspire them to learn, and give parents peace of mind. Alliance Executive director Jodi Grant.
Speaker 7: Every day, after school programs across our country help students discover their talents, build their confidence, and foster their creativity through enrichment and academic supports. As we continue to recover from the pandemic, it's essential that many more students and families have access to these programs. This year, eight thousand Lights On after School events will focus on the benefits after school programs provide.
Speaker 6: Visit www dot Afterschool Alliance dot org to learn more about lights On after school.
Speaker 2: You were listening to Wrestling Observer Live with Brian Alvarez and Mike SIMPERVV on the Sports Byline Broadcasting Networks.
Speaker 1: Do you know what I did on my birthday?
Speaker 8: What's that?
Speaker 1: I spent an hour talking about World Championship Rustling with a LAPS fan, And I'm doing this show talking about w CW. What have I done to deserve this? Hey?
Speaker 9: No?
Speaker 4: What?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: I got my royalty check yesterday Death of WW. I'm getting royalty checks twenty years later for this book. If you've not read it. If you've not read it, you can go to my Twitter at Brian Alvarez or just go to Amazon grab your copy of Death of WCW. You got kindle edition, the paperback you can you can buy like a five hundred dollars hardcover if you can find one, really, and the audio book, the audiobook which I narrate myself. And if you get an audible if you get an audible trial, you get two free books. You could choose Death of w CW and I still get paid.
Speaker 8: So so you're all for this, then.
Speaker 1: I kind of am? I I sort of am I mean, I found out I couldn't. I can't figure out this royalty statement. They it's all these numbers. Okay, well, but by my estimates, by my estimates I have, we have sold R. D Ee Reynolds and I either one hundred and one thousand, one hundred and twelve books or one hundred and six thousand, six hundred and fifty seven books. But I can't figure out which which one it is. But the point is it's over one hundred thousand copies sold, so I'm very proud of that. Not a lot of books sell one hundred thousand copies, and uh, my last one certainly did not. You know, you should you know you should never do is write a book about w W during the least popular period in the history of w WE. That turned out to be a bad idea.
Speaker 8: Kind of formulaic too.
Speaker 1: But I mean it did fine. It did fine. I think it did like eight thousand or something like that, which barely I looked it up, and that's not bad for like a normal book, you know, eight thousand copies.
Speaker 8: You also had the but my bar was high. Well. You also had the benefit of distribution as well too, and being able to get out there when people walk into what's left of the bookstores and actually see it in the sports section, maybe propped up or something like that. You know you did benefit from that, not only from your publisher, but from your past success with the death of WZW twice, not only in its original form but then the anniversary edition. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I talked for about an hour today. The lapsed fan should be up at any time.
Speaker 8: Did you apologize to Rick Flayer for apologizing?
Speaker 1: I don't want to talk about these, these people.
Speaker 8: These these they're nuts.
Speaker 1: I'll say about the second episode, is this whose idea was it to rehab Eric Bischoff? Anybody? The show ended with Eric Bischoff standing there and wherever the hell he lives in Wyoming, looking out of the rivers and streams, a nice, nice layout there, as everybody talked about how amazing he had been in World Championship Roslyn. It's like, what listen, I'm as fair man as anybody, Okay. Eric Bischoff ninety four, ninety five ninety six. I mean that guy, Holy smokes, a guy did a hell of a job.
Speaker 8: He had some visions.
Speaker 1: But then, and as I mentioned on the show today, I'm one of the rare fools. Fools who went back and watched the entire Monday Night Wars twice. I watched it twice. I watched it once live, and then I went back and I watched the entire Monday Night Wars a second time. Yes, And what did I learn upon second viewing? I learned a lot of things. But one of the things that I that I learned that people don't talk about nearly enough is everybody always talks about Fingerpoker, Doom and Starcade and that bash of the Beach and this and that. But do you know when and as I rewatched it, as I rewatched it, when I first realized, WHOA, something's up? You know what? You know what it was? Yes?
Speaker 8: Yes, oh god, I have no idea. Something in nine, late ninety early what ninety.
Speaker 1: Seven, believe it or not, it was slightly earlier, late ninety six. As we rewatched all of these shows, ninety five was awesome, Yeah, ninety six was was awesome, pretty awesome. But when Eric joined the nWo, when when he became a television character, that was I don't know if it was that exact show where it was like a couple of weeks with a couple of weeks in but he joined. It was November ninety six. Someone says Eric joined the nWo and there was a nitro and it was the first one where I was like, okay, sums up here, like something didn't make sense or you know, I can't remember exactly what it was, but it really hit me watching it a second time. That was the beginning when he made himself a television character and his sartin went from booking the show and everything to God, I gotta do some stuff on TV. Now, I gotta do a promo. I got to be in this segment that was That was the first time one of the bolts on the wheel started a wobble. And then you know, by early ninety eight they were doing great, but it was very clear this things careening out of control. And then there we go.
Speaker 8: And look with Bischoff at the time of doing it, he was riding high. Everything was going great. As you said, we haven't even gotten to them, you know, reaping the benefits monetarily it let alone ratings wise, and all the prestige that came with that, and all the crossover that came with that, and ultimately at the end of the day, the tail just ended up wagging the dog because there were so many forces that so many puzzle pieces that got put into play, the power that Nation Hall had, the power that Hogan had just having such a large roster and not a lot of control, the fact that there was still a lot of old school is all this new school stuff was taking place. The guaranteed all of these things, and they all culminated into the death of WCW. And at the end of this thing, I'll be interested to see how this series culminates and if there's any actual answer given or somebody hung out to dry and made out to look worse than the next person. But I get a feeling that that's not going to happen, because, as you mentioned with Bischoff, we had him get completely slagged and we actually have him standing a little bit tall. And I think ultimately that's what we're going to see out of this, with people, you know, explaining themselves as to why they weren't the reason as to why somebody else was. And I think ultimately that's how this thing is going to end. And it's going to be one of those stories, much like the Montreal screw Job and a couple of other things that just will end up lasting for a lot longer than it probably should.
Speaker 1: But anyway, going back to the point of the show. Last night, it was all about man Eric Bischoff. The story was everything great that happened in WCW was Eric Bischoff, oh boy, And everything that went wrong was someone else's fault. You know what, I'm gonna have to hear the same thing next week with Vince Russo. Everything was everyone else's fault.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 8: Now, okay, so we've got Eric Bischoff has played a big role. Do you think Brad Stiegel, I'm sure by the end of this thing is going to essentially have one of his own episodes. But from what they've shown, do you.
Speaker 1: Think I actually don't know who the last episode will be. Well, we got Bischoff this week, we got Russo next week. I figured we'd have Nash in the last week.
Speaker 8: Well, I was wondering about Kevin Nash's part into that. But I think ultimately AOL Jamie Kellner, because again, there are people and at the time, you know, hey, this thing could have rolled, but it was AOL that killed it. Time Warner pulled the plug. You see how he's talked about TNT in the Prestige and all of that stuff and not liking wrestling. I'm sure he's going to have probably more of a dedicated episode before this thing is done.
Speaker 1: Well, we'll see. There's only four episodes, so number four is the one I'm interested in. But anyway, at the end of the day, everyone you know, I died because it sucked.
Speaker 8: And you know how you can read all about that in the depth of WCW available now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I hope I never have to talk about this again after.
Speaker 10: This will mack him on with more, everybody, Observer lie.
Speaker 2: You are listening to Wrestling Observer Live with Brian Alvarez and Mike semperviv on the Sports Byline Broadcasting Network.
Speaker 1: By the show Brian Alvarez here, Wrestling Observer Live, Mike sember vv also Wrestling Observer dot Com. Well on to other news here, because of course there is always other news. Announcement from WWE and Noah said to be made this weekend a quote major announcement and Noah's Grand Ship twenty twenty four show. What a name Noah's Grand Ship.
Speaker 8: Well they've been known for that over the years. Yes, Virgin Navigation on the Green Matt sort.
Speaker 1: Of thing, breaking a major announcement from Noah WWE will be made at our Yokama boot event on Sunday. A message from a certain wrestler will also be released. Do you think it'll be should Skate Knackamara? I think it'll be obvious that something's happening.
Speaker 8: Thanks, boss.
Speaker 1: Well, they're probably working together you for the scoops. They're trying to u w W is trying to make uh you know, they're trying to They're they're not announcement.
Speaker 8: If something's gonna happen, something's gonna happen.
Speaker 1: They're not Vince. They're working with Mary Gold, They're working with T and A. They're gonna be working with Noah. Now, the question is who's coming where.
Speaker 8: Should Skate Knackamara is gonna go over? That makes the most sense to me.
Speaker 1: Who are you gonna get from Noah Gabe Kid.
Speaker 8: Oh, come on, he's in New Japan.
Speaker 1: I nobody's working. Kato Kiomia coming up?
Speaker 8: I know, Well, look, that ain't gonna happen. There's too much politics there. Brother. You got to c CML and Triple A or on the same page. Right now, as far as working ae W shows, let's not push it. As far as the Kumbaya goes across wrestling, you know. And look, this does not have to be somebody going over to work in WWE propery either. It could be somebody just coming over to work in at.
Speaker 1: Oh, somebody will work in NXT guaranteed in WWE as because WWE has house shows there apps July twenty five through twenty seven.
Speaker 8: Yes they do, and they gotta get this is the first time they're going to be dealing with their new business partner over there, Bama, who has had a long relationship with Noah and involved in wrestling, So this is going to be a big deal. We know the Merrigold deal. We know about Eyo Sky going over to faced off against Haya Shishta. So look, maybe somebody shows up at that Battle Royal against Trick Williams. We see a name out there Rio he Oe. Well, I guess Noah. Never mind, he's a new japan guy too. I don't know, but we can see somebody from Noah certainly in the Battle Royal. But I think it's more about what Noah can get out of the deal and being able to get Eo and Chinska and you know, people like that onto the show.
Speaker 1: I got distracted here by uh people talking about this w CW thing again. Oh yeah, this actually is from the board and this guy here the FRO says Bishop and everyone made tons of mistakes, but that he has some uh you know, thunder was pushed on them by TBS led to additional expenses and booking burnout.
Speaker 8: That that hurt. Yeah, that was part of it.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, I seem to recall the same time w w F added SmackDown and it worked out just fine.
Speaker 8: It did, but they caused a lot of stress and it was also far but Brian far different operation too by the time he got to that point, I know.
Speaker 1: But my point is, my point is adding another show is not the end of the world if you are competent.
Speaker 8: That's true. But also with WCW, what you also have to admit is it was death by a thousand cuts. And everybody that took a stab over the time bled out and there was a lot of bad decisions that got made. It was a lot of self inflicted wounds that happened along the line. And that's why again at the end of the day, when it comes to this who killed WCW. Everybody, everybody had a hand in bringing that thing down from Turner executives and the AOL buyout in Time Warner on right down to the person that just didn't care and didn't show up for house shows and ended up killing that business. I mean, there was everything that they could have done to self sabotage. They absolutely did.
Speaker 9: Now.
Speaker 1: He also says nobody came forward to dispute the quote creative accounting that Dick Cheetah mentions in the Nitro book and in the documentary Last Night Stuff getting dumped on WCW's books to make TBS and TNT look more profitable. Quotes seemed to back that up in the dock, etcetera, etcetera. All right, first off, First off, listen, I've never heard the story, not saying it's not true, but this seems like new information that Eric Mischoff has come up with. They you know, took some of our profits and shifted them to other divisions to make us look worse. That's that's his claim. Has anyone mentioned that early on when they needed to sign guys like Hulkogen, et cetera, that some of these contracts were actually you know, paid from the Turner side and not WCW. Yeah. Interesting, so maybe some of that money was just kind of paying that back. And you know the other thing is let me, let me, let me ask somebody every question. Okay, I'm asking a question. So WCW units last year lost sixty two million dollars. Okay. The excuse is, well, you know, some of those profits were shifted to other divisions that needed to be bolstered, right, that's the claim that. Okay, first off, when you're losing sixty two million, there ain't no profits. Oh wait, well whatever, Let's look at it this way. Let's say that in their peak year, by the way, let's say that they made one hundred and twenty five million dollars, which they did. I think it was ninety seven. So it was a profitable year in the history of any wrestling company, ever more so than w W had ever made a year hundred twenty five million dollars. Okay. So let's say if they continued on that trajectory, they continued doing well. They were, they were making one hundred and fifty million a year. Let's say in two thousand, if everything had gone great, they were making two hundred million dollars a year. Okay, So they're making two hundred million dollars a year, and Turner is doing creative accounting to take even one hundred million of that to shift it into other divisions that need to be bolstered. Let's imagine that happened. Okay, if you had a company that's making two hundred million dollars and it is allowing you to create creatively, take one hundred million of that to bolster up other divisions that are not doing as well. Why would you unloaded? Why would you do that? The reason it got unloaded was because it was losing money hand over fist. It was not making any money. It was making no money to go to other divisions. It was doing nothing but losing money. It was losing money on house shows, it was losing money on pay per views, it was losing money on television. It was losing money on everything because it sucked. So I don't care what crazy idea you've come up with about sad it's right there. You know what, if you'd been doing great, they could have taken the money and put it here and there and everything would have been fine. You would have been more valuable. But instead it collapsed. It was a gigantic money drain. On the You know what's funny, it's on the documentary. What did they talk about on the documentary. Oh, the people at Turner didn't want wrestling, right, and that what they said, the people they didn't want wrestling. Okay, well, guess what there was wrestling during that period where they said the executives didn't want it. It was on why because it doesn't matter if they want it or not. It was making one hundred and twenty five million dollars. Well, when you book like a moron and everything collapses and nobody buys tickets and nobody buys pay per views, and nobody goes to the show, and nobody buys merch and nobody wants to buy ads, and you're losing tens of millions of dollars. Well, now the executives hated it, it's easy to unload it. You helped them so anyway, the reason it died is because the people in charge of creative and such were incompetent and they produced a terrible product. Fans decided, I don't want to watch it anymore, I don't want to pay any money for it. I'm gonna go watch the other show because it's better. And they died, So come up with all of the excuses that you want. All I heard last night was excuses. But that's what happened. It was horrible, It sucked, it lost money. You can't do that as a business or you go out of business.
Speaker 8: Yeah, that's it. They took the cash cow, they slid its throat, after milking it dry, they cooked it up and served it to the executives on a silver platter. There are and you cannot expect TV executives who got into the TV executive business to have any sort of tie to pro wrestling, even if they happened to be big pro wrestling fans. They tend to be fans of money and power and ratings and prestige and things like that more than anything. So Yeah, for years, since the start of having wrestling on the Turner Networks and the Turner Networks expanding out to go national, there were people there that always wanted to get rid of wrestling, that wanted to kill it. But as Brian mentioned, when it's making a ridiculous amount of money, when you've cut into USA and you have now established TNT that tried Sunday Night Football, TNT did Sunday Night Football they had movies, they had preshed these things on there at four o'clock in the afternoon. It was old movie time like it was Turner classic movies like what they do now. But at the end of the day, they were fine with having wrestling on there and holding their nose the same way that I'm sure a lot of executives held their nose at the fact that the NBA may have been on their channel because they didn't want sports at all. They wanted some other type of programming on there, and you gave them everything that you needed. So at the end of the day, sure did AOL and Time Warner and Jamie Kellner helped to pull the plug on that. Absolutely they did, But you're the one who put it on life support to begin with and put it in the hands of somebody else. Period.
Speaker 1: We have Rdy Evans who resigned from TNA now going to work for a w He was in No, he is not. He was at Collision on Saturday allegedly we'll be a Dynamite tonight broking on backstage segments and so uh he's been doing creative, he's done creeve in w W E and uh T N A N A A w so mess the up to him back in the moment Observer Live.
Speaker 11: So I just went to Coles to shot their first ever customer appreciation of that, and now I'm here to spill the details. Because I'm a Colds cardholder, I got an extra thirty percent or if you're a Rewards member you get twenty percent off. Even non members can save with fifteen percent off and as an added bonus, Coles also has brief prices on Father's Day goes like's Talk, activewear, sephoric Alone, grilling gear and more so really waiting for don't miss out hurry.
Speaker 2: To Cole's Select styles.
Speaker 11: Some exclusions apply Coupon's and cole Questi and not applied to support authors. On June sixty and Historical the company.
Speaker 9: Tails, one out of two Americans thinks their life is worthy of a book. Here's another startling stat You may be one of the fifteen percent of people who bothered to start your book and one of this six percent that got halfway through it, but your gem of an idea likely died or did it. Some published authors are making significant money, so join the ranks of the successful people that finish their books. With help from Dorance publishing. Call right now and are experienced editors and writers will explain to you what it's going to take to get your book completely written, published and then taken to market to sell it. It's a free consultation, so call right now find out how much time and money it takes to finally get that book idea of yours published, make your dreams happen. Called Durance Publishing right now.
Speaker 4: Eight hundred four eight five six thousand three eight hundred four to eight five six thousand three, eight hundred four eight five six thousand three. That's eight hundred four eight five six zero zero three.
Speaker 12: What would you do if you had a broken bone? You'd go to the doctor and use your insurance right well, what would you do if you have a serious problem with drugs and alcohol? Most people do nothing until it's way too late. Your insurance can help you get clean and sober with the assistance of a place like the Detox and Treatment Helpline. Many times addiction treatment is fully covered, So why not use your insurance to treat your addiction problem just like you would if you had a broken bone. And with a Family Medical Leave Act, you're allowed to take time off by law and your employer doesn't need to know the reason. So there are two good reasons. You've got insurance you can use for your addiction problem and with the family Medical Leve Act is completely confidential. Call now eight hundred seven seven one four one two five. That's eight hundred seven seven one forty one twenty five eight hundred seven seven one four one two five eight hundred seven seven one forty one twenty.
Speaker 13: Five with your choice of select sandwich, nugs, fries, and a drink. Windy's five dollars. Biggie bag is your go to your nugget wing Man. You're hot in Crispy Fry co pilot just like us.
Speaker 9: We're like the bag boys.
Speaker 8: What bag boys?
Speaker 3: Bag Boys?
Speaker 4: What you're gonna do?
Speaker 3: What you're gonna do when we bring me your food.
Speaker 13: For a deal, you can count on dept On Biggie and choose wisely choose Windys.
Speaker 3: Bag Boys, bag Boys.
Speaker 10: Spice Participation may vary inclote choice of TV or Chrispy Checking sandwich with four peas nuxt Junior Finance offering third party delivery.
Speaker 2: Pricing may be higher. You are listening to Wrestling Observer Live with Brian Alvarez and Mike simper VV on the Sports Byline Broadcasting Network.
Speaker 1: The show Bright Alvera is here, Wrestling Observer Live Mike sumber VV also Wrestling Observer dot Com raw one point sixty one million viewers point five head Dad with the Stanley Cup Finals. That didn't do as well. Apparently people like the Stanley.
Speaker 8: Cupah, if you're gonna watch hockey at any time, it's usually for the outdoor game on New Year's Day, and in the Stanley Cup Finals, that's about it.
Speaker 1: Point ninety five and eighteen to forty nine. The Rock was injured, didn't even get a one. He he sprained his credibility in never mind, he uh got it hurt doing the Smashing Machine, injured his elbow.
Speaker 8: I think the big question is did he show up on time.
Speaker 1: It looks like a candalope, he says, the bottom of my elbow. I find that hard to believe. Yeah, but a cantelope is.
Speaker 8: They're pretty damn big. Now, Peach maybe.
Speaker 1: Got banged up pretty good in our scenes. Might be some soft tissue damage, lots of fluid.
Speaker 8: Of course, it wouldn't be like the Rock to embellish anything.
Speaker 1: No, so hopefully he can continue on with this movie I saw.
Speaker 8: I saw actually still go to in and out Burger for the first time.
Speaker 1: When they first announced that he was gonna be Mark Kerr, I was like, what the rock well, I I saw a still shot of him as Mark Kerr and Ga Lee kind of pulled it off.
Speaker 8: Well, you know, they sure they had some of the same training methods.
Speaker 1: Rounded pound something like that. I'm gonna talk about Rick Flair and these guys.
Speaker 8: I know you want to, though.
Speaker 1: I'd rather talk about NXT.
Speaker 8: I just like how Jim Hurd didn't respond to Flair, Brusso did and that got you know, dragged out, and then Bischoff, I guess just said his little piece and was done with it all right.
Speaker 1: Actually, first be for you a NXT just very quickly. Tonight has the Dynamite Show, will Ospray versus Ray Phoenix for the AW International title, Mercedes versus zook Ses for the TBS title. Yeah, the title is on the line. Mark Britske, Orange Cassi and Kyle O'Reilly versus Kyle Fletcher, to Kesht and Roderick Strong, Jericho's TV Time with Private Party, Dustin Rhodes versus Jack Perry and a T and t title qualifying match that's for the Forbidden Door Ladder Match is in action and we will hear from Swerve Strickland. That's the line up for tonight. Are they gonna lose NXT or not? What do you think?
Speaker 9: No?
Speaker 8: I don't think so.
Speaker 1: Think there being NXT.
Speaker 8: Well, I don't know what's the NXT number. That's the whole thing.
Speaker 1: Find out about twenty minutes now that.
Speaker 8: Look, their NBA is going to do some damage. So could they be under eight hundred thousand. I think that's very possible that they're going to be under eight hundred thousand. But it really comes down to did NXT spike two? What did it do when Sexy Red was on there? What did to do last week?
Speaker 1: Dude? It's it's like zero point two three and seven hundred and sixty thousand.
Speaker 8: Okay, So again it's gonna be I can see it being real tight. I can see it being real tight because look, if NXD did eight hundred thousand, I'll say that it beats it, okay. But I can also see it being neck and neck where they both did about seven to seventy five. I wouldn't fall over shocked at that either.
Speaker 1: It'll just depend on I don't know. I look at the line well Ospray and Ray Phoenix. I mean, I'm excited for that match. Should be awesome. I will tune in for that match. I'll tune in nonetheless, but I'm gonna tune in for that match. Mercedes against Zuxies. I'm sorry. I mean I don't need to see Mercedes appearance. I mean, Mercedes will see what she means having a match against I don't want to see anything. I mean, I have nothing against Zuxies, but I mean she's not drawing one fan of this show.
Speaker 8: No. But here's the thing, Brian, name somebody with the exception of Willow or Chris that probably would get a number or move something in a Mercedes. Like before the show, you could say, okay, I think that's gonna move something. I don't think anybody could. Well, really, you're selling it off. The Mercedes appearing.
Speaker 1: I think Mercedes against a name opponent of some sort, even a sky Blue, I mean that's something, But Zeuxis is nothing.
Speaker 8: No, I understand what you're saying, but I don't think it really necessarily even matters.
Speaker 1: I mean, Mark burs, Orange, Cassie, Kylo, Riiley versus Kyle Fletcher to catch and Roderick Strong. I mean, I'm not it's gonna be a good match. To be a good match. I'm excited for the match, but I'm not sure that's a gonna draw a bunch of viewers. What's the story, what's the what's what's the uh?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 8: So let's cut Let's cut through all winter, Let's cut through all this because sore Strickling being on the show is going to that announcement helps, Mercedes being on their hell Osprey being on their helps. The only thing they could really do and they're not pulling this card out, is saying MJF is going to be here, like I mean it right, because we don't have anything concrete between him and Rushe. You know, Rush is going to be on there, but they're not saying MJF is going to be there. And to me, that's the biggest thing you can do. If they were that worried about this week and they felt some kind of way about WWE loading up NXT, then I think they probably either would have or should have pulled MJF out of the hat because again, unless somebody's coming back like Jamie Hayter, what are you gonna do here? All right?
Speaker 1: Some NXT notes, we'll do a full review with Dave and Vinnie. I generally liked this show, but there were dialogue. There were a few dialogue that I didn't really like. So first off, remember yesterday we were talking about wouldn't be NXT without a gallous match?
Speaker 3: Mm hmm.
Speaker 1: They announced wes Lee Tyler baden Pete done against Galla. So that Kyle Lee wes Lee Tyler baden Pete done against Galas should be a really good match. Kind of a showcase here for wes Lee Tyler baden Pete done as God is my witness. Joe Coffee pinned wes Lee. What is up with his Joe Coffee solid? Everett? That's it, Mike, He's solid, this guy. You know, someone reminded me of They Go. Do you remember when Triple H was booking NXT. He had all this fantastic talent, the highlight, the glory days of NXT, but he was determined to get over the forgotten Sons and they were always getting pushed and they were and nobody ever cared and they never got over. You remember this, You.
Speaker 8: Just wait till Steve Macklin's in the Battle Royal for trick.
Speaker 1: Well, now we've got this Joe Coffee. Sean loves this Joe Coffee, and the fans they just don't care, like there's nothing wrong with them as a team, but they're just there. It's like, you know, the funny thing is we watch any we watch a w and it's like there's so many guys that are so talented, but they're booked to just have bangers and lose, okay, and we see it all the time, and it's frustrating because like a lot of these guys is like, why isn't Takeshta. I mean, he's just there to have good matches and do jobs right, and you get angry because it's like he should be doing better. Well, this is like the opposite where these guys are good workers who should be there to do jobs, but instead they beat the actual stars over and over again. This match. Did you watch the match? They had a great match and these babyfaces are making a comeback and the place, I swear to God, this place was they were going crazy for this match and then Big Dive wipe out Gallas Place having so much fun and then West gets back in the ring, he gets hit with a Larry and pin by Joe Coffy, and the crowds went, what killed him? Killed him dead? And for what? Like, what's Joe Coffee in line for? Why did he beat wes Lee? Like literally, they just did a three way for the North American title with Obafemi and they put Joe Coffee in the match so that like he could do the job and you wouldn't beat wes Lee because Weslee wants his title from Obafemi. So I'm like, okay, well, great, now we get wes Lee and Obafemi one on one, and literally, on the very next show, Joe Coffee beats wes Lee. I'm like, why did you do this? Why?
Speaker 8: Look, you need to have guys like Gallas. I would rather have Gallas there than a lot of other people in that role. And it's sometimes you have to give them credibility, you have to give them a little bit of something. At the end of the day, you know, wes Lee is going to go over Joe Coffee, you know Gallas. They're going to get to a certain point, maybe they even win the tag titles, but I don't see that in their future right now. But maybe that's the plan too, you know, in the future. Here, Look, you need to have some credibility for some of these people on the lower mid card and the mid card, and I get it. They look, I'm surprised that your your anger is not on Javon Evans and Sewn.
Speaker 1: Sp' I'm getting it that I know jumped the gun.
Speaker 8: But I even understand that one because you're not ready to put him in the stratosphere yet with Javon Evans, so he's got to actually, like, you know, slow down, learn how to work with a guy that's got a lot of experience.
Speaker 1: What Javone Evans, he had that match with with Freakin' awesome to the point where Aveli hadn't been the champion, Javon should have won. Okay when it was over. When it was over, we all said, okay, time to strap the rocket to this guy, which which they did. He ended up working a main event with Trick. He's teeming with the world champion in a main event. They're given the guy wins and then I don't even care that he necessarily did a job, but Sean Spears beat him. Sewn Spears has done nothing, nothing, He's not over nobody cares. He's not in an important storyline, he's not doing anything of note, and he goes in there and beats Javon Evans. Why would you put the brakes on Javon Evans and have Sean Spears beat him. It doesn't make a lick of sense none.
Speaker 8: In that case. In that look at that lineup in that locker room. You want to have him have his first feud with somebody. You want to have him have his first real story with somebody. Who is it? You can't use Joe Coffee. He's tied up right now. So who do you put in there?
Speaker 13: Then?
Speaker 8: Who do you give him the loss where you wouldn't be complaining about it? Then in there?
Speaker 1: I don't even want him to have a loss, but I want someone to be elevated for once.
Speaker 8: He worked in these elevated.
Speaker 1: It's not like he came out of the nil and he's a shot putter. The guy could already work, but he's fine.
Speaker 8: Obafemi is higher than him on the food chain. Wes Lee just came back higher than him on the food chain. Look, I understand it. If they were ready to strap the the rocket to him and give him the North American title, have him go over Obafemi or have him beat Trick and he's that guy. Okay, but that's obviously not what their plan is, so I gotta be that's the problem. But okay, if you're gonna do that with him, are you going to do that with everybody? Why not do that with Oba Femi?
Speaker 1: They are doing that?
Speaker 8: Why not just have a beat Trick then and being that because he's got a.
Speaker 1: Different belt, he's the he's the North American Champion. You've gone all the way with Obafemi.
Speaker 8: Okay, then okay, so let's just say he beats Sewn Spears there so you never want to see him break Shawn Spears again.
Speaker 1: Then I don't want to see him against Shawn Spears again ever.
Speaker 8: Do you go so so you want him to have a Goldberg type streak? Then no?
Speaker 1: But I think that he should be beating guys and moving his way up the ladder and when wes Lee, you know what he should do. Wes Lee should beat Obafemi and then he has his title reign and then he puts over Javon Evans. That's what they should do because you know what what is what do we keep complaining about with aw nobody ever gets elevated. And they had all of these young guys eighteen nineteen, twenty years old. Now you know, I'm Jim, and these guys dragon off Carmelo Hayron.
Speaker 8: Breaker when they're young, Roxane Perez them over when they're young.
Speaker 1: Javan has something very special and he shouldn't be losing to Sean Spears under any circumstance.
Speaker 8: So what's his feud then? So again I to me, I don't know. I to me, you're over valuing him. I think a little bit too much here as far as being that dude, And I get it, and I'm not thrilled with the Spears situation either.
Speaker 1: And why are we arguing?
Speaker 8: But with that said, because I understand that he needs to be in feud with somebody and he's going to take an l to me, it's like, again, he's got to take it to somebody. Who is it gonna be against.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna go over the end. I'm gonna go over the NF. I'm gonna go out, I'll say after the break back. In a moment Observer Life.
Speaker 2: You were listening to Wrestling Observer Live with Brian Alvarez and Mike SIMPERVV on the Sports Byline Broadcasting Network.
Speaker 1: I looked up and down the whole ross. Are you ready for this? You know should have beat Javon Evans who nobody uh see exactly, No, because here's a deal, so Goldberg, that's what you're saying. No, dude, he doesn't have to win every week. Brother. But listen, you established you established that he can almost beat the NXT champion. He almost beat Ilia Dragonov. So your follow up you have gone from him almost beating the world champion to teaming with the current world champion to doing a job for Sean Spears. Why would you do that? If anything, Once he was established that he can almost beat the world champion and he's good enough to team and win with current world champion, then if he's losing to someone, it should be trick Oba Femei, not Sean Spears. If he's gonna lose to somebody, there needs to be what is the reason for him losing to Shawn Spears? What is the reason he had to do that job to have a fifty to fifty with Shawn Spears? How does that help Jevon Evans.
Speaker 8: Wow, it depends that you don't know what the story they're going to tell is Rocky didn't turn around and beat Apollo Creed in the first fight. They had a story that they wanted to tell. And I get that.
Speaker 1: You wanted them to see who was Apollo Creed?
Speaker 8: Who was Apollo Creed?
Speaker 1: I know that, Yeah, but who was he in the storylineweight chance? That's not sewn Spears.
Speaker 8: I know that, But for Heaven's sakes, look, I get what you're saying, but there also needs to be a hierarchy in order there. And look again, I wish they had some more people established because, like I mentioned during the break a heel Brooks, by this point, maybe back you could have did something there. But that's the way things go. And you're gonna have to deal with it, Brian, deal with Joe Coffee and you're gonna have to deal with Shawn Spears.
Speaker 1: What a horrible birthday. I'm od here, everybody. I'll talk to you next time Wrestling Observer Live. You have been listening to the Wrestling Observer Daily podcast on the eight Side Network