Speaker 1: Now, The Shotgun Starting Golf is full of mathematics. There's a lot of setup work that we have to do in order to make a tournament work. So I'm going to demonstrate to you just exactly how we do a shotgun start here. All right, alright, alright, did no man darn your.
Speaker 2: Gredians are welcome to a Sunday edition of The Shotgun Start. It is April twelfth, Andy, how we doing, Brendan?
Speaker 1: It is Victory Monday for our gambling pot.
Speaker 2: On the board. On the board, you went, you kind of okie duke. He deeked us into a Rory pick on the preview podcast, you went there. Congrats to you pound for that. We're two for two. Now we've gone back to back. There's all sorts of I picked Roy last year, you picked Roy this year. There's a notion that Rory hasn't won a Master since PJ Clark joined the joined the Shotguns Start Friday at Golf Enterprises. There's all sorts of good trends going right now we have two fabulous masters in a row. It was another awesome Sunday Sunday. It's different, did you say, yeah? Certainly way more out in the open. We're gonna dive right into it. We're gonna bring in We're gonna bring in boys, We're gonna bring in men like Kevin van Valkenberg, who's tracking, who's writing for tomorrow Morning. We say different, very different. I think when we started this podcast last year, we're like we were like exhausted on the floor with it, with just the roller coaster of emotion, like always the worst loss, the greatest win. Everything. With the way the day started, it was already an incredible story before we ever hit a shot. Today it felt like really scrambled. I didn't know where to necessarily necessarily start. I watched a lot of it on the early stuff on television in the Media Center. Started with Rose like kind of went up to Scotti, fell back to Rory. By thirteen, it was really open there in a totally different Sunday.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I went out with Scottie to start and they obviously the shotting, I mean like things are gonna be lost to the tournament. Like the shot I hit on one was absolutely disgusting.
Speaker 2: Dirty from the from the straw.
Speaker 1: Yeah, It's like he starts out with a birdie and you're like, oh, he's going then all of a sudden, you know, you get Rose going and Rory falls back. I mean I was jumping around and I had to take a pause going to the press center and just regroup and just take a ledge of like everything going on. And you know, I kind of regrouped and went back out for the back nine. And what I mean the magic of Augusta National is that it is just this. You know, it's such a great chasers course because if you are chasing, you could really hit shots in score. But then also it's the hardest course to play with the lead, and we've seen that. We saw that obviously with Rory all weekend. I feel like the psychology of the psychology of how you play the golf course, and Scottie talked about it in his post round press conference. It's a hard place to play with the lead. It's harder place to play with a big, big lead because you get a little bit more defensive, and the second you get a little more defensive, you just bring in the bigger numbers while other guys can that are chasing, can play a little bit notch up that aggressiveness. And we saw it all the day where you know, slow start for Rory, uh and it looked like for a second it was just gonna be Cameron Young show, you know, and then we get you know, we get Rose and Scottie searching up the leader board, and you think, okay, it's gonna be you know, maybe it's Roses time.
Speaker 2: When Rose went to twelve, it was like, all right, well it's his time. The fans seem to rally around that, like, you know, smartest fans and golf the whole thing, like like really really rallying around Rose when he went to twelve, Like all right, guys, been like a hard luck bridesmaid a couple of times with the wounds from twenty five are still fresh, and it felt like it was going to be Roses to lose. You talked about chasing and leading. Rory now has great experience doing both, and each Sunday he's been a leader. He's been a chaser. He's defended the lead at the end a couple times. Now wanted in a playoff. He's kind of done everything. I was rewatching his every shot or every hole at Augusta this morning, just kind of prepping. And he had this great quote at the ten minute mark about of that video about experience He's like, look, I felt like I've had a ton of experiences at that course, both good and bad, played in a bunch of multiple final groups, and you know kind of had seen it all, and all of those, you know, boiled into that journey that he had last year, and it's just, I don't know, it keeps building on itself. This was a very different sort of It was almost the eighteenth was not that release, right. I think the very special aspect of it was his parents being there. We'll talk about that, but it was sort of because he put it to two inches, right, and then it's just this tap in. It was a very different kind of release and different kind of Sunday, but another another incredible like experience he puts in the bucket for next year even and we're not going to get to that now. But what what a odd field? I mean it not in a derogatory way. It was sort of an odd Master's for him, right. It wasn't always his best stuff, and it certainly didn't feel like he was gonna win an hour and a half, two hours into it at all, and then by fourteen it was like, I don't think anyone's gonna like touch him. It was. It was a really different dynamic than last year.
Speaker 1: I mean, the golf course was really hard today.
Speaker 2: Oh I don't know, we're gonna have to do we need to talk about the golf courseational needs to be the analytics.
Speaker 1: People that were sitting on their couch might might have other takes. But I thought, you know, the thing that was there today that wasn't there the previous two days the wind, and it was it was, you know, it was really interesting as just a you know, somebody that's going around the grounds is like you'd get into certain spots where you wouldn't feel anything and be really hot. Then you get up on a ridge and you'd be like, whoa, it's really blowing out here. And it was. It was gusty. I don't think it was necessarily like consistently steady. And I think that's when that golf course plays the trickiest, obviously, because you're like having to trust these numbers and the targets are so small. And I think that's why what explains like nobody really getting it going sustained all day, Like you could see people like okay, they'd hit a couple of good shots and then it's like you just get there and then it's like you can't hit that high level shot and maybe you misjudge the wind. And the thing about Augusta especially when it gets firm, and it was pretty firm today. It was obviously very firm on Thursday. The targets are so tiny and then if you add in wind, that's a little unpredictable and you're missing the target by one or two yards. I mean, like the perfect example was the sixth six hole. I mean that back right corner was like damn near impossible. Justin Rose hit a great shot in there, but like everybody else was either coming up short, some would go long, you know, and it was all we.
Speaker 2: Got Jim by a wind there, like yeah, that was all wind. I mean, Trevor on the broadcast, I was watching like that was a good shot. That was all wind.
Speaker 1: That changed. That changed, and I think you saw it too, is like you know, hitting it. You know, Cam shot into fifteen like a moment where he you know, he he needed to make an eagle or a birdie there and he had a really good shot into fifteen. It just it was down win in that greens firm and it just bounced through. But I think that that wind particularly made it really hard to sustain great scoring today, and I think that's why we saw this, you know, this jammed up leader board and just so many different moments where you're like, this guy's gonna win, this guy's gonna win, this guy's gonna win. The good news was, you know, there's one group in there that you know, we didn't have to watch. I felt like was the Lowry Burns group.
Speaker 2: Joseph and I, I know abother podcast I'm going to talk about this. In the first ten minutes, Joseph and I were workshopping and takes like the Masters used to not put tea times out by score necessarily. They would put like you know, Jack or the lead like the Stars, Bob Jones would be somewhere in the middle, and I was like, he was like, do they just need to send those guys to the front and tell them to play five holes? Make it an even seventy two? Pull Burns and Lowry off the the off the course. How Ton just causing it all out in traffic jam backup, which I was there for. How Tug's Brown was killing me, killing me at thirteen does it didn't know the rules started picking He's in the red steaks, just picking the ball up. Incredible, like shot Scottie. No, I didn't see it on one. What did he do?
Speaker 1: He piped a drive and then he chocked. He laid sod on a wedge. I haven't my notes.
Speaker 2: I I want to come for on Lee in the first ten minutes.
Speaker 1: I have my notes. How Tongue Lee? Uh so you know, Scott he's in the trees. How Tug's right in the fairway, Scotty, he's this insane shot. Yeah, you know, and how Tongue just lays Sadie. It lands like fifteen yards short of the punting surface. He had a wedge. I mean he had a wedge. It it is a two shot swing on the first hole. I'm just put sheriff. Sheriff fixed the how to the whole one. You're right, the put the police puns in your in your notebook.
Speaker 2: I love that.
Speaker 1: No, I mean, there were just guys in the way there, but it was it was sixteen I don't even know what he ended out.
Speaker 2: Oh maybe the top forty. You might not have been in the top forty. Lamaya and I were just like you got to pull them out of there. I was going to say about the wind. That was the only moment. At thirteen I went up to get Scottie and ended up with twenty minutes of how tong Lee ruling, and I was just like, what am I doing with my time right now? And that was the only moment. It was quite I thought it was going to be a boiler quite frankly, but the wind for us made it quite pleasant. I thought it was. I thought it was a pleasant evening on the hot side, but there was absolute wind present. It was kind of pleasant breezy for us. The only time I got hot was when I was down there on thirteen just waiting for how tong Lee to hack it on the But I was like, this is so still I'm getting hot right now. But it was a great day.
Speaker 1: The thing about the day is there's and obviously everybody watching you probably felt this forrenetic pace and everything on the ground. It's like we have to make calls about like where we're going. Yeah, And it's just like I found myself on the front nine just being just pulled a million directions. I'm like looking at the board, I'm like, oh, I gotta go there. I gotta go there. And that's why I had to call time out. I had to go back to the press center and I watched all the shots of the people in the mix, and I was like, Okay, now I feel like I've got a clear head.
Speaker 2: I actually know what's going on. Yeah, and going back out there, I felt scrambled. At times, I'll say, we'll get through this on our notes. I felt like this you get lucky. Sometimes. I feel like I had like four or five instances today where I was like, God, I'm so happy I'm on the ground, like really, like I got the goods and we'll get like whether I was walking with Faldough being next to Rory on eighteen the rain scene, quite frankly, was some of the best scene I've ever gotten with he and Cam. The wind stuff, though I noticed it, especially with Rose. I think that really jammed him, like all of a sudden, he was backing off his ball like non stopping and eleven like it's twelve, you.
Speaker 1: Know, seventeen backed off.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it really it started like it started there around like when he went took the lead, when he quite frankly, once to twelve and it was there were it was gusting and swirling a little bit, and he just just got quickly uncomfortable and fell off. Obviously they were just couldn't push the pace anymore. We should talk about Roy McElroy probably, Yeah, do we want to go legacy? We want to talk about his specific day today. I let's talk about his day. I think that's the best, the best path, you know.
Speaker 1: I I to have a six shot lead, to lose the six shot lead, and then to go at one point I think he was three back in the final round and to regroup. I mean you could talk there's good experience, bad experience, there's maturity, and I think it just shows how much you know, kind of grit the guy has where you know so many people to if you lost a six shot lead in a single day, it would just be devastating to you. And then to come out of the gates the way he did slow have that, I mean just just a real bad double on four.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was. It's kind of interesting. It sort of lined up with some of the grades he gave himself, like my irons were not good. It was a bad like a big pole, I mean, left of the Bonker pretty good way, great great ship, good ship, and then pulled the lf Potts the second one was more unforgivable.
Speaker 1: The first one was hard, but like to be able to you know, to be able to go down the way he did into I mean, the guy was twelve under through two days and then he's standing on the seventh t at nine under and you're just you. So many players would just be shell shocked, and I think we've seen Rory at different points in his career at younger, younger years in that state of shell shock and it's just spirals out of control from there. The ability to regroup and be calm in that moment and understand, hey, yeah, I've gotten some bad breaks. I hit a great shot on six that you know, ended up long and that was a really tough spot to be and to be able to just regroup and be like, basically, the world, my world is not ending, and to to kind of you know, regroup, make a couple of birdies, get back in the mix, and then like just understand. I think, like it's so easy in that moment to like, you have this number, he said in this his pros round, Like I had this number fifteen fifteen under my head right as so like my goal of what I wanted to get to today, I thought that would win for sure. So you think about how you would feel if you started the day fifteen under is my number and on the seventh te you're sitting at nine.
Speaker 2: He talked about it in that moment, like I really like if I didn't make those birdies seven and eight, I just he didn't know, he was just gonna have to go all gass the whole way through the back.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And then like you said, he you know, he's standing there on seven and he gets it, gets it done.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And at that point, you know, Rose had pulled past some Cam who he's playing with is is out ahead of him, And you know, I think like probably like one of the big reasons that he felt okay, Yeah, And I think like a pivotal moment of the round was the Cam Young miss on six, Like that gave that had to have given him fuel in that moment of like okay, like I'm I'm okay.
Speaker 2: Did Cam make another putt after that? I'm trying to I guess he birdied eight, but that was an amazing at fifteen, sixteen seventeen, he just like did not. I think after six he just really struggled with the Pott about this Potter yeah, it was, uh.
Speaker 1: And I mean so then you have Cam, you have Rose, you have Schefflers all of a sudden right square with you, and you're like and then he goes and he just he finds that championship gear and he gets, you know, basically into a similar position of where he was on you know, last year, like not quite as big of a lead, but he walks off twelve t with the tournament in his hand.
Speaker 2: Really, I we talked about this a little bit when he took the took the big six shot lead, like he has these fourteen hole stretches or seven hole stretches where like I won the tournament there. I don't think he clearly didn't win it on Friday night. It just sort of came at this clean break of the thirty six hole mark where everybody could write this narrative of, uh, he's twelve and maybe sometimes that would happen on a Thursday morning where he goes out in thirty or a Friday afternoon coming in and and and it just happened so fast and made it this clean narrative for the weekend. But he didn't have his best stuff this entire week. And but he's quote unquote freed up, right, he has the jacket in his locker already, And we talked about how much he's evolved as a golfer, and like we know his strategic brain is is on point and has been for the last five years or so. Whatever you know, term you want to put on it, based on his US Open performances, based on his performances here, Like mentally he's freed up. Physically, he's like always had the game to play here quite well. And so it was interesting I thought this week compared to last year, it's probably those first two, like strategic brains dialed. He's knows this course is bed as well as anyone, Like mental brain has dialed. He's freed up, has seventeen years of experience, and not the pressure of putting a jacket in his locker. Maybe the pressure of this you know, big lead or whatever and being in contention.
Speaker 1: I think there was I you know, I Rory's a historian. Yeah, I think there's a lot of pressure. And I don't know if he'd admit it or not, but like I think he probably felt a lot of you know, it's not the career Grand Slam. It doesn't equate to the career Grand Slam coupled with a eleven year drought. But I I I have to think that this weekend he felt it for becoming the fourth player of all time to win back to back.
Speaker 2: I completely there was I'm not suggesting he was totally free, but it was a different kind of weight I think probably than last year when you're talking about these these these notches on the resume are a little like less weighty than oh my god, I've never won the Masters. In career Grand Slam. It felt like those three of those three aspects, like the physical the game was the one he had to work with, work on the most. And that's where he's standing on that seventeen And like you know, we'll talk about the rest of the field. No one ran away with it. Those guys were and you talk about the wind, and there were reasons for it. It wasn't like guys were necessarily gagging on themselves. It was like the physical stuff he had to sort of manage. The game. He had to manage like, uh ore is my T shirt on thirteen? Gonna go miles into the pine straw again. He worked on it Saturday night on the range, like that was the part he had to manage the most, not the weight of sleeping on the leader at the lead or the final group on Saturday night like he did last year with Bryson. Yeah, the it's probably good spot to be if you're Roy McElroy, given the golf skills you have.
Speaker 1: I mean, like you think about it, it's like the confidence now even more so now where he wins this with you know, you always imagine for years Rory McElroy winning this and this was very much last year outside of if you take away the double bogie, you know, those four holes. Basically Rory McElroy won last year because of just Tee degreen excellence and he you know, he putted well right, but he was he was he had just full control of the golf ball. Last year he drove it so well outside of you know, the holes seven, fourteen and seventeen. And this year it's like he won because he understood what he was like how he was playing the golf course and he talked about it in his post round press or you know, he's it's basically been the only place he's played for three weeks, right, you know, he he came out here, he talked about how he had talked to Jack about, you know, how he prepped and Jack would go out to courses the week before and play, you know, a bunch of rounds of keep score single ball, and Rory did that and he you know, obviously on Saturday he spoke about how he dropped Poppy off at school, get up there and come back for dinner. And I think, like you saw some of that experience, and you know, in in little places like you know, just where he was leaving his golf ball when he would get in trouble, or some of his misses I think were different than he he used to used to play it. And the comfort level with the with the shots around the green, I think we're was so evident. He was just magical around the green all week and I I you know, it's terrifying when you think about zooming out like he he won without his best stuff tea Green. If you know this, the whole dynamic of him at Augustin National has completely flipped. It is a place he loves to spend time now. It is a place that he fully understands how to play. And because of the way he won last year, where he basically did everything people said you can't do and win. It has now given him this freedom and now it like adds on top of that that he won without his best stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean just to talk about like his happy hunting ground.
Speaker 3: It.
Speaker 2: It was funny to watch him fly off in a golf card after they've done the jacket ceremony on the putting green and then go down the first hole. He's just like waving from the cart at the crowd like it was like, this is like kind of is his place now, you know, his his happy his happy place. Now you mentioned the short game, just to put it sort of put a bow on that sixteen. He has to he has to do kind of the tiger ish play, right, he missed it. He goes long left. Not not quite that that shot at all, but an incredible play through there. Seventeen missus short, which he said was a harder chip than people thought or it looked. That's another short game shot. Eighteen not the most impossible bunker shot, but has to get out of a bunker with all the pressure of no doubles, no doubles. We just watched Bryson do the same thing, you know, hit from that bunker and have a roll off the front and he made a triple and so short.
Speaker 1: If you go back to really another really important moment in the round, just like last year, up and down on three from the bunker. Yeah, in his shot. They both hit great bunker shots. I thought Roy's was really well well done because you know, it's like you listen to all the greats, and I think Bernard said this Friday, I guess like when the pins weight left on three, all you want to be is left of it, but there's only five paces to be left of it. He left it right left of it short, right up the gut on that hole, which was interesting, you know, came right after like something. You know, I while you're watching these tournaments, you're just looking for these like micro moments, and I thought, like last year, Rory being outside of Bryson on three really was a big moment because he made the putt. Bryson misses the putt. You know, the same thing happened on two though, but it was flipped where Cam, I mean Cam literally Chili dipped that wedge and it was he was looking at using the bank to feed it back in and he just like it was. It was so lucky. And anyways, he ends up right behind Rory's ball. He makes Rory missus and I was like, oh that, you know, like that, you know, it's just one of those moments you file away, but then you know Rory comes back and makes the birdie there and just to give it away. But like that short game was there all week and and it just bailed him out. And is as much as everybody always is driving you know, you got to drive it well, you got to hit good irons. And this is what makes Augustus such a great term. Of course, you have to do everything. And I think the short game is the the the skill that that people often overlook. That is like there aren't bad chippers of the golf ball that win the Masters.
Speaker 3: For the most part.
Speaker 1: No, No, they are like the best hands in the game typically win. I Guessa Rom, Scottie Ryk, recent winner, Patrick Reid, Jordan Spith, Like you go down the list, olthavl Sev. You know all these guys are are typically great chippers of the golf ball.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was like, we should do on a day like today. It was a roller coaster in and of itself. It wasn't quite like the one last year. We had to narrow it down to like the shot of the day or the shot that won.
Speaker 1: Him the tournament. It's probably twelve. It's probably twelve, which.
Speaker 2: On Sundays, if we're being honest, is usually just sort of like, you know, aim over the bunker and make your three, or you roll it into the water and you lose it. There's rarely of like go and grab it by the neck to there and Rory cut one in there beautifully fade right up. Had an amazing anecdote about listening. I mean this talks about the experience and the weight of it no longer being on the weight of not having a jacket. Talk about a two thousand and nine practice round he had with Tom Watson in describing just wait for your wind. Wait for the wind that you want while you're over the wall. Wait, wait, wait, and wait.
Speaker 1: Wait for the wind that you know is the wind because it swirls back there. So it's like wait for the wind that you know where it's supposed to be, and then hit as fast as you can.
Speaker 2: And he's leaning on that, you know, that's seventeen years ago, right, and has the recall and I'm sure he's applied that in the you know, every year he's been here, and that's kind of I wouldn't say took the tournament by the scruff of the neck, but he never gave it back when he when he after he hit that shot, and so it was you don't see that that often.
Speaker 1: At twelve a two on Sunday, I think, yeah, that shot was awesome, it was a it was a great shot. It's the whole maturation too, of the golfer. I think, you know, there are a lot of pro golfers that wouldn't have the wherewithal to ask a legend of the game, like Tom Watson, what do you do here?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: And then there are a lot of golfers that you know, might be told that and then like forget about it. Like Rory's got this encyclopedic golf brain. He remembers everything, he knows the history of the game. One time I was having a conversation with him and we were just talking about something and we were talking about Monty and I said something and goes, Manti never won that tournament. And I'm like, oh, I might have gotten mixed up. And I was like thinking, I was like, oh, yeah, it was this. He was like, yeah, Monty never won that he lost to this guy, this guy, this guy, this guy like rattled off like eight years of history of that tournament and it's like the golf brain to do it. The skills and like that golf shot again. If you go back to the early part of Rory's career, a lot of the criticism of Rory's career not a great short iron player, can't take speed off bad wedge player, And that was a three quarter absolute perfect, perfectly executed soft arm swing nine iron that hit the perfect distance. And you know, it's just like that. I guess that's what makes golf such a beautiful game, is that you can have all the talent, but in that moment it required the wherewithal of the information he got from Tom Watson, which he probably asked for that he filed away for the rest of his career from two thousand and nine and then the maturation of his golf game to be able to execute is such a highly technical I think most guys just get to that tee and pray that they have the perfect yardage. But it's a look, you got to take speed off a nine iron in that moment. When you're not, you're not having a great hitting irons, Like when you're taking speed off and you're strugglingly a little bit, it is so easy to do exactly what he was doing all day Saturday, which is your body stops moving, you come over the top, and you pull it and you hit it long left.
Speaker 2: He said, I wouldn't have had that. I didn't have that shot yesterday Saturday done to your point. You know, he came out and said, I couldn't have hit that yesterday.
Speaker 3: Interesting.
Speaker 2: I mean that's where he went and got it. And then you know, because it's rory at the Masters, you know, he hits like one of the worst dribes you'll see on eighteen, like one of his worst. I was wondering, like if he's ever had that shot of all the experience, experience experience we're talking about, Like, has he ever in any circumstance. I doubt he practiced it.
Speaker 1: The wedge on fifteen was scary too.
Speaker 2: I mean that I thought they mixed the pins really well today. You know fifteen that's the fattest part of that green. That doesn't make it easy. Green fifteen has been very firm all all weekend. New were green. I mean, that's not it's not to say it's fat, but that's that's the fattest part where it gets That was Uh, that was a little dicey there. It was a little dicey. I was looking from the side hill into the sun, like trying to see it. But so it was interesting.
Speaker 1: The whole way round had flashbacks of thirteen last year. I was up at the top I was up at the top of the grand stand there, just like I was last year on thirteen, and they hit it, and I'm like, oh god, that's going to get on his horse.
Speaker 2: Gotta go right, go to the whimp ride the horse. So then he eighteen. I ended up right and he walks up. He kind of does this exhale as he gets to his ball and the pine straw and like shakes his head, and it was kind of like, I gotta do like one more. I mean five is it's nice to know you need five only and six is a playoff.
Speaker 1: I mean it went so far right. It was an advantage because he could hit the big sweeping draw. Yes. Yeah, Like there was so much crowd in the way. He's like, you got to get out. He's going right, you come back, kids, And uh, I walked by it. I walked by it, and I was looking through the trees and uh, I'm flicking through the trees. I'm like, oh, there's nothing there. I was with Brentley. Yeah, ironically it was funny Brentley. Uh, Brentley got a hamstring camp cramp there. Didn't know if he was going to make it roll.
Speaker 2: Down the hill. He might be quiet, might have been right now.
Speaker 1: You might have the questionable time for his media lottery around it. But anyways, Brentley's like, he's gonna chip it through the trees. I'm like, the play is up here. He's got to hit the big hug it was.
Speaker 2: I just exhaled, and he talks to Harry goes it's gonna come out a little spinnier because it's from the pine straw. And just you know, as he was over the ball, this giant plume of cigar smoke enveloped him. I thought he was going to back off the ball like I would have, like it had to have. It was some yahoo. Jimoke was right there.
Speaker 1: What an idiot, and like just puffed and it went directly up the hill from the crowd, like went right. I don't know if he noticed it. I couldn't have been I wouldn't have been able to do it.
Speaker 2: Like it just went right over him as he's over the balls, like, oh my god, he's got a back off, and then he hits it. You know, he planned it out. It just dumps into the bunker and makes his five, takes his medicine just all the way. Just had to ride it all the way in, just with six maybe in play there and the playoff with Scheffler and Rose would have been would have been an interesting playoff. But you know, he gets it done.
Speaker 1: I mean, just think about he's got this two shot lead. Sixteen's generally like a birdie hole with that whole location. You know, he has past the he has this delicate putt. That was an incredible putt he hit there eighteen from No. Six on sixteen from off the green, Yeah, and then seventeen that I think that was actually like kind of a good spot to leave it. I was wondering that because he started walking after it. Yeah, and like I think he knew he left he missed a good spot there. Yeah, and he was chipping right up the hill. It wasn't an easy shot by any means, But that shot on seventeen is so hard, like your natural reaction is to hit it left there, and I I don't know if if this is what he if he was purposely trying to miss it over there. The natural thought is that, but that that green screams away even though it doesn't look like it. It looks like you're chipping up hill, but it's actually going away. And that the chippy left himself. I mean, he's so good at that little and this is just a shot that he has that I don't see other people a lot of other players. I see Scotty hit this shot at Augusta and maybe it's just like kind of a shot that some guys have in Augusta that just unlocks things. He hit that on He hit the same shot on six on Saturday or Friday. But it's this like he hits that low sixty degree that hits into like the frit and pops it and then it stops him. And Scotty do that so well there. But that's chip on seventeen. I mean, he made it so difficult on himself.
Speaker 2: Again, he called that harder than a look. But I do think he thought he missed it in the right spot there on seventeen. You know, all things considered it's it was a great chip.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he did.
Speaker 2: Short game had to work, short game had to work all the way.
Speaker 1: In all right, I mean, yeah you think. I mean just the way golf always works is that you're presented with the things like you come down the stretch, the pressure ramps up, and like the the things that you're just like not feeling are going to get exposed. And that the Teeter Green game got exposed the last three holes, and the short game putting bailed him out, which he you know, he said was an a this week. Do you think about Cam Young coming down coming down all really like the whole day? How were Young? It's been a great putter for the last year, but the Achilles heel has always been the putter, and the putter just left him on Sunday, justin Rose his struggles this week and what we're with the putter. The putter kind of let him down. Three three putt at thirteen.
Speaker 2: That was kind of like a real punch, thank god, especially after you know, yeah, after eleven.
Speaker 4: It wasn't it was was not a three putt for Cam at thirteen.
Speaker 2: Camps Potter h Rory mentioned after his round that he realized the Grand Slam is not the destination last year, and I would I would put that there were three, as you know, three acts in his career right now. There's obviously the immediate spoils right from to twenty fourteen. Then there was the drought where quite frankly, he was never outside of you know, he was always felt like one of the top five players in the world. There were some dry years there where the wedges were, you know, going boom out of here. But he's still maintained. He's still winning FedEx Cups, and he was a top ten player in the world.
Speaker 1: He's basically been a top ten player without you know, there's been maybe two periods since twenty ten.
Speaker 2: So that was act too, like a great player, not getting it done at the majors, but still like clearly like the ambassador of an ambassador of the game. I think we're in act three now, where we are running up the resume. I have fully formed a golfer. All the physical tools are there. I'm not over the hill physically or with my game at all. He's still the longest and and you know he's he's at six now, he's passed Brooks. I'll remember that full swing where he sits in the locker room. I think it was okill and he's like, like it was one of the better, more insightful parts of Full Swing.
Speaker 1: He's like, he's got the five be meet to five.
Speaker 2: There's a there's a player in my era, in my contemporary that has more than me. And you know, at that point he's at sitting on almost ten years without one and you know obviously matches him. Last year, he passes him. This year he ties Philly ties. Surnick fell though, who I was going to give thirst bucket of the Year award, a first spucket of the Day award, but then he gave me time like a proper, proper night, sir Nick, and said, I go, what did you need this? I I witnessed this happening. It was it was too too large man walking try first tride together. I'm certain Nick, someone I wouldn't I wouldn't want to. I wouldn't want to have him rushing off the edge of battle on the outside. Yeah, it was good walking with it. But he jumped in as Rory's rock walking from Butler Cabin, which was cool. I mean, like to the two of the best euros of all time and the back to back euros at the Masters and six time Ajor winners. I asked Snick, like, what did you talk to worry about. He goes, what you tell me, says I told him, he's effing amazing. So what did he say? He said, twelve is the whole deal. Twelve was the whole key. Golden Bell was the hole where he won the Masters, and it was you know, he's now matched with Sir Nick Faldough. How many Majors does he get? So it seems like he's motivated. This is not the destination.
Speaker 1: So there's eleven players in the history of golf with more major championships Jack Tiger, Hagan at eleven, Hogan Player at nine, Watson at eight, Varden at seven, Jones at seven, Sarah's and at seven, Snead at seven, Arnold Palmer at seven, and then the group of six is Faldo, Mickelson, Trevino. I you know, I you know, you get to this point. It seems, as he said in his pre tournament press conference, this is the eiest one for me. Now that's crazy. It's at the same course. He's unlocked the course I was, you know, this weekend had hit a snag, but it felt like the first two days, given how he hit the golf ball, it felt like he's gotten to the point where like you go to the you play the video game over and over again, and you get to the final boss and it kills you every time, you know, and you can't get past the final boss. And then one day you figure out how to how to beat the boss and it's like, oh, I just have to go left left ab and I got it, and that's the move to beat him. And he like figured it out and and so you know, I think if you told Rory, you know, two years ago, or you tell him March of last year, this is where you're gonna hit the ball all week, he would have been I have no clue. I have no way. There's no way I'm going to win the Masters. I mean he hit what did he hit? How many fairways did he hit on par fives two or three? He hit eight today? He had number eight today he hit eighteen two. So he hit three fairways. He hit three of sixteen on par five fairways for the week, and he won.
Speaker 2: He did all his work on the par five still, so he was even on the threes, which is a good score. Even on the threes, two on the fours, and ten under on the par five and.
Speaker 1: He didn't hit He was never hitting them in two, right, right, right right. He had fifteen yesterday and he had eight today and those are the only greens that he hit in two.
Speaker 2: What would you grade his?
Speaker 1: Like? This is insane. He's got a green jack his golf game. It was a be He chipped and putted his ass off. His chipping was so good. Some of the places he got up and down from this week were banana land places. You look at his like strokes gained and that doesn't tell the story in MI, but like, well, the data tells us everything.
Speaker 2: You know, there's no persons of the data. Around the green was the highest for sure. But none of this was exceptional. Was it like, oh, you're gained four shots off the te today or off the t this week? Our approached nothing. It was all kind of slightly above average, all slightly above average, nothing dominant, And is around the green really saved him? It wasn't.
Speaker 1: So I think I think you put the majors. Majors are hard, and I've refused its gonna be a favorite aronomic. I refuse to allow myself to be a prisoner of the moment, and and to say the floodgates are open. I'm saying that the over under seven and a half. Okay, what do you think seven and a half total masters, total major Peach, what would you say?
Speaker 3: Sure?
Speaker 2: Eight seems fine. PJ says, where's your.
Speaker 4: My I've been on three all week? But Kvb's on three?
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, producer PG eight. I think I'm gonna go over. Feels like he's man, feels like he's pretty motivated to run it up. It's like, you're not gonna see me go into this, Like how do I figure out how to come down from Everest this year thing? Maybe maybe it's easier said than done now that he's that he's won, But I think I think Shinnecock's a big thing for him. I think ironimic plays into his hands nicely, as almost every PGA does.
Speaker 1: You have to think the open at the old Course next year is like highlighted and then but that almost what feels like one of those masters he's like I almost like don't want to touch that cause he's too zeroed in on those, right. I don't know, I don't I think all this stuff you know what it is is Golf's like a world of like of pictures in your in your mind, and he created all these like great movies for himself early in his career at major championships where he's blown the field out. And then he had this era where he was pretty bad at majors for his standards obviously for a number of years, and I think it created a lot of scar tissue. Then he has this phase of close calls where yeah, they're gut wrenching losses, but he's in in the fight, you know, and you can take away if I keep giving myself chances, one of these is gonna get knocked down. And I think he's back into the mold of like I'm making great movies at majors again, even to the to the sense of like port Rush last year I think was like he came out of it positively. But this one, this one's got to feel better. It doesn't feel better than last year because of all the weight of last year. I think you walk out of this one feeling more confident than ever because you did it without your without your a game. Yeah, like did it without what everybody would say if you said Rory won this week, you'd be like, oh, he just he just drove drove the shit out of the golf ball, and and he gave himself so many opportunities because of how well he drove the ball. Instead, it's like he drove the ball bad by his standards and everything else, his course management, his mental game, and is in his short game, and putting bailed him out.
Speaker 2: I think the wins at the Masters, like it frees him up. Obviously with this like once House of Horrors, that was Augusta, but like it frees him up the next time he faces a Pinehurst situation, right, Like it frees him up, like next time he's in the lead at a at a US Open or a PGA or whatever, like he's that's a different dynamic too, because it had been ten years. It had been so long, so I just it feels like he's he's dialing. I would go over seven and a half. I know you're trying to be cautiously not a prisoner of the moment. I think that's there. I feel like he's probably got like ten years of masters, yeah, like real master chances maybe more. I mean I ten you that's a lot and five minimum for all the others. That seems like a lot of chances to get one and a half.
Speaker 1: Side note, is the biggest loser today the PGA Tour because Rory felt like he was the most prepared for a major and he took three weeks off before it. It slipped under the radar.
Speaker 2: But like it's like, oh yeah, I'm not gonna take a couple of weeks off like hilton Head just nowhere, no chance, no chance, never was going to be a chance, Like tough scene for the signature at hilton Head.
Speaker 1: I think I think he's kind of entering this era a little bit earlier, where you know the great man Justin Rose, who finished you know, a couple back.
Speaker 3: But he.
Speaker 1: This, he's entered this era almost where you know Justin Rose. Everything he's building his game is around the majors, and I foresee as Rory hits the next three to five years of his career, he will be doing everything to build his life around the four major championships and everything else will take a back seat. I you know what's a comfyback seat? Oh my god, go ahead, great job.
Speaker 2: I mean you just you win. You win today. I love my segues, But that was a good that was a good thing.
Speaker 1: If you're a hild in the head, if you're going to take a back seat. If you're going to take a back seat, I would recommend taking the back seat in the In the Mercedes Benz gls which PJ haspent riding again all week long, they got two bucket seats back testify to the back he did they have like the the motorized controls, Like I mean, I think about like my childhood right in the bucket seat, bucket seat or a bench seat of a mini van or the station way back backwards. Kids these days, if you have a Mercedes Bend gls have it way too good because they got heated seats back there, they're bucket seats. There's plenty of space. All of the Mercedes Benz SUVs are wonderful. Whether you're looking for a smaller one, check out the g LB, the g LC those are kind of your more midsized SUVs, and then scale up to the g L E. In the g LS, which we've been driving around this week, you've.
Speaker 2: Got the full lineup. Off the top of the head. There's killing you. You've been doing well well.
Speaker 1: If you want to go go all the way you go g wagon too.
Speaker 2: You get a little flashy with the g That's such.
Speaker 4: A nice g wagon propped up in the Mercedes village.
Speaker 5: How about that?
Speaker 4: Yeah, right outside.
Speaker 2: You want to learn more, you can go to m b U s A dot com slash dash Masters. That's MBUSA dot com slash the dash Masters. Thanks to Mercedes Benz for their support of Friday Golf the Shotgun Start Podcast. It's been it's been a wonderful week here in Augusta with their support, and you know, they're a big reason why we're able to get down here for FY the coverage across the board, written, audio, social, the whole way due to them. The photos from Cameron.
Speaker 4: Rory might not have had his a game, but that segue was a game segue, a game segue pretty good.
Speaker 1: Where do you want to who would you like to go to? Are we done with r We could talk more about Rory. Well, we're gonna have the boy. We're gonna have the boys come in. We're gonna have KBV come in in a second.
Speaker 2: The most emotional part, it was a very different Masters like the crowd on eighteen. He hit it to two inches, didn't know what to do. It was like this sort of I don't want to say it was like deflating it anyway. It just wasn't the really use of last year. And then the I'm not saying it was just the way it went down though, the sequencing. Certainly the most emotional the part was having his mom.
Speaker 1: And dad there, who were not there last year.
Speaker 2: He said they didn't want to come because they thought maybe one, which is a feels like an I were saying, could totally something I would subscribe to. Is like, well you won when I wasn't there, I'm not coming, We're not coming. He's like, I had to convince him to come, and they did and they got one. Uh saw his dad for many He's like, yeah, I figured i'd come and get one, you know, while I was here. That was certainly the most meaningful aspect I would think of this this masters.
Speaker 1: I mean, I think there's another aspect and we could talk about this a little bit later. Emphatically the best European golfer of all time emphatically, I think so I would agree with you. The other contenders would be Sevvy by Asteros and Nick Felt. Nick Faldough, I think you know the whole totality, the longevity, and you know, knowing you've got you've got probably seven really good years in the tank. Left turns thirty seven next month. Yeah, I think I think you've got You look at that, he's he's emphatically the best European golfer of all time. And then you start to look at this list. Man, you start to look at the major list, and it's like, okay, I said a very you know, conservative over under. But if he gets to nine, if he gets to nine majors, the only people ahead of him in the game, and he's doing it in a very competitive era are Jack Tiger and Walter Hagen are the only ones that have more majors than him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think he's on, like like he the Watson and maybe Gary player eyesight, you know, in the trajectory at this point, and.
Speaker 1: You think about the way, ironically, the crazy thing about his career was like he's gone from like where he's like a PGA hunter and it's like, Okay, the PGA is the best major for him? Is the PGA this major that sets up the worst for.
Speaker 2: Him now because it condenses people can catch his separating powers more easily. I think another motivating factor, not a motivating I think it would be sweet. I don't want to I'm not in his head. I think it would be nice for him, probably personally to pass Phil Mickelson. I think that would be like, you know, another modern great. I think he's probably happy that hopefully Phil will be able to be at the Champions there next year, that he'll be hosting. I think he, you know, wanted them, wanted him and Tiger there this year, and now I'll get another chance at it.
Speaker 1: Who knows what may.
Speaker 2: Happen last year, but I think I think it'd be you know, passing Phil would be meaningful to him.
Speaker 1: I mean, I think there's some motivation too with what Scotty's done. Yeah, I mean Scotty here in a minute, you know, like he Scotty's sitting there at or now, you know, getting that extra major out out ahead of him. But you know, he has to feel like I think there's probably a lot of him, especially you know, the end of last year. It's like, God, this guy's barreling down on me.
Speaker 2: And I don't want to say probably, but certainly a very good candidate to join the.
Speaker 1: Slam Club unless he stops him. He's the USO. Well maybe this year, but yeah, you know, we didn't have time. Candidly, we didn't have time to make our our storylines nobody talked talked about. But yeah, it would bring us to a storyline nobody that nobody's talking about. I heard there's public outcry about about the police, the police force. What happened. They couldn't they couldn't bring the racketeer in case home, a repeat repeat offender, a menace to society, menace to the fair police. Ry McElroy skirts away for you know, slips through the hands of Sheriff Scottie and Deputy Sad.
Speaker 4: I mean, I'll go even further. I think Sam Birds arrested the wrong irishman today. He just completely he he was like, oh he's gotten k accent and just went after him and threw him in the brink, I mean immediately and thought he got his guy.
Speaker 2: Look, it was a complicated day of figuring out where to go. It was nice of nice of Sam and Shane to excuse themselves from the proceedings. At least there was one less like group. We had to toggle between Rory. I mean Rory was I mean the man crimes against fairness, all the way to the eighteenth where he's you know, so far right, he's going up in the round.
Speaker 1: Scotty. If Scotty went home every night, I could see Scotty doing this, going home every night and watch the shot by shots of Rory. He's he's always not come on. He would have seen a lot of petty theft, a lot of petty theft.
Speaker 2: We're gonna get. He said it wasn't equal. He said the conditions weren't equal. The birdies that were available on Friday afternoon worked for him on Thursday afternoon.
Speaker 1: Just I yeah, he went out there and said it. I'd like to let's plasn't been a rare It's been a real rare failure of the police department in recent recent years, Golf's police department. Police couldn't get the couldn't get the offender and cuffs.
Speaker 2: Uh should we go to cam Where do you want to go next? I was gonna talk about Cameron Young for a minute. He got a lot of good breaks off of trees. He got it off of three again, kind of the the matumba block into the black into play. He got it a bunch, you know, on Saturday at seventeen and thirteen amazing, like par save at five and then just like was was shaky from there on out after after five was really quite shaky, I thought.
Speaker 1: You know, I think he handled the moment pretty well totally. Was he definitely didn't like just blow up or gag away.
Speaker 3: He was in.
Speaker 1: It was scary. He's such a guy that went out first nine of the tournament shot forty and then he comes back and he's he's leading leading the tournament on the on the you know, on the first nine of Sunday, and really like I think he played Teeter Green well enough on the on the back nine to win this thing. He just didn't make any putts. Yeah, like he he hit the shots he needed to hit, you know, you think about he had a really good look on ten. He had a really good look on eleven. For how hard eleven is. He had a great look on twelve, He had a great look. On thirteen. He had a you know, a really great opportunity on fifteen. They didn't cash in. He had a good he had sixteen seventeen. He was pinned high. I mean, the guy played great golf.
Speaker 2: Rory did put a little bit of a pin in the Boys balloon, saying it would be a more comfortable pairing this this Sunday compared to Bryson last year. I wouldn't say that's like, I don't think he was intent he was dogging Cam. He just felt probably a little more comfortable.
Speaker 1: You know what. I liked about Cam the boys.
Speaker 2: I don't know if the boys. The Boys may not have appreciated that.
Speaker 1: You know, I loved about Cam here real quick? What so that I think people wanted to get like another quote about like how Rory didn't talk to talk to him and Cam Cam goes he said something along the lines. I can't find it here. I didn't mark it. But uh, I don't do it. I don't really I.
Speaker 4: Don't really talk much either. I'm not I'm not one to talk to him to begin with. I don't think he really wanted to talk to me today Sunday and the Masters in the final group, you know, don't wish anything poorly on the guy, but we're playing against each other, not trying to be best friends.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think I think the reporter was trying to get like something similar to bryceon and Cam's like I didn't want to talk to him. Bryceon a little diaperte. Also, I loved, you know, somebody a reporter at that point, the reporters that were in the pool. For the most part, I don't think really watched the golf that we're asking the questions.
Speaker 2: Oh, I haven't read Cam's transcript so anyway, but I did watch the golf.
Speaker 1: Somebody, somebody suggested that he wasn't being aggressive enough. He goes, yeah, what does that mean because he didn't make eight birdie that. He goes, yeah, but I mean, how much closer do you want me to hit it that I did on the back nine? Want me to aim right right on twelve? Just one of those. I think the shots are pretty obvious, and I hit a lot of them. I just didn't make anything. I thought Cam played great golf on the back nine. I you know, you could play this. You could replay the the that that back nine a couple of times and Cam Cam probably comes out on top thirty percent of the time. Yeah, Like he hit the shots, he didn't make the putts, And it comes down to you. Golf usually reveals your weaknesses. And I know he's spent a great putter, but this is gonna Everybody has their little kryptonite of getting over there, over the hump, And it took Cam a long time to get over the hump in a regular tour event because the putter held him back. Yeah, we've seen him, the putter hold him back in majors and it looked like it is solved. But like this is the gravity of today was huge. And as much as he downplayed, you know, I didn't feel much different.
Speaker 3: You just.
Speaker 1: Some It was not like he choked or anything.
Speaker 2: No, he didn't.
Speaker 1: He just didn't get it done, didn't She was seventy eight. There was none of that.
Speaker 4: I will say. I mean, I know you just brought up the quote like, did you feel any different three years ago? He said, yes, even a year ago a little bit. I mean for on the front nine, even a year ago. Is it death now? It was it would be over.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I'll say I gotta say, I'm sorry. I'm sorry your boy didn't get it done for you, both spiritually and financially. It happens a good chunk of change was going to come your way. If it's going to be this is going to be you know, wind windfall that probably would have changed your short term life.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 1: Looking at a GLS.
Speaker 2: Maybe it's okay.
Speaker 4: I actually made that joke Handy this morning.
Speaker 2: One of the coolest scenes. I went to the range before they teed off, and usually the range like it's kind of meh, like it's just guys hitting balls and you don't know what you get and you probably overinflate the moment. I like watched it. It's incredible to think about, like your dad is your coach, but he's also your dad.
Speaker 3: Does that?
Speaker 2: I know that sounds so simplistic, but to think about, like your on is about to play the fun around the Masters, but you also have to be the coach. And he's on the range with him, and he was watching like he would watch Rory hit, and then he go back to his son, who is still his son, like I hate to be so Like it's incredible this double duty he had. And his mom was up above and like you're like the pieces pieces of your parents, right, Like his mom has his countenance, like the face and like the deadpan cam like I don't talk much deal and like his dad, he obviously gets the golf game from his dad or parts of the golf game and its instruction. I think his mom's a very good player, really good player too, and like you're these pieces of your parents, And it was just fascinating to watch his dad then out on the course, like he hits it on thirteen and that like maybe was going to go down into the tribute his dad, like it stopped and his dad like gulped because all of a sudden, his dad goes from coach on the range to dad in in the cigar, smoke with and Schmutz with everybody else. Why And he walked the hole as far as I every day he walked the whole deal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and every day he walked the whole deal.
Speaker 5: It was.
Speaker 2: And they were both at the far end. Rory and Cam stayed till the end, and it was like if you were golf sick of it was like incredible. At one point they were both hitting driver and Kim was kind of coming across the range, like hitting from the farthest left across the range, and Rory was hitting his draw, working on a draw, and like they were on the same cadence and and it was like this perfectly blue sky. I'm not being corny about this. Like their balls like almost like kissed and crossed, and they were the only two players on the range. It was dead silent and literally the whole world, like the entire world waiting on the other side, in like fifteen minutes, and the balls like kissed and were they were on the same cadence. It was an incredible scene. I was like with his dad there watching him.
Speaker 1: It's the coolest thing about these extreme high stakes golf tournaments. And Patrick Reed spoke about it in the in the lead up to the tournament, the thing he missed. Yeah, the Masters, it's just ramped up, and you know, the whole week, there's so many people around, so many people on the range, and then on Saturday and Sunday it's just like the last two guys and it's Cam and Rory. Last year it was Rory and Bryson, and there's just like when you sit and watch the range, there's just like this this gravity to the moment where you'll it was.
Speaker 2: It was amazing and just to think like that's also his dad is now going to watch his kid go play the Masters. It was really powerful.
Speaker 4: While we're on Parents, Can I give you my nominee for Quote of the Day Award?
Speaker 3: Sure?
Speaker 1: Is it from Jerry or something?
Speaker 4: It's not. It's relating to the to the young parents. Uh cam Cam comes through the whole tunnel of love before Rory does, and the first scoring no after goes to scoring. He's walking with his wife. They passed through. His mom is is coming behind them, a couple of steps behind. She was walking all week with like one of those chairs that you PLoP down or whatever, and some moron just yells, good job, Dottie, happy for you at missus.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she still carries the folding chair that it was kind of she had to ask what time it was on the range. She asked somebody else what time it was. Brentley made the joke.
Speaker 4: But they thought they thought she was Donnie Pepper. I just wanted to make that. God, I was like stunned in disbelief that that.
Speaker 1: I think it happened more than once. It happened while she was Honestly, it happened. It happened while she was walking in to scoring.
Speaker 4: That's what I just said.
Speaker 1: That's what I thought you were saying somewhere else. And obviously obviously Rory's pieces of his.
Speaker 2: Parents too, like his father, Eternal Optimists and his work. I think his mom all these things. It was just it was interesting to watch the two of them watch their son get ready, should we go to someone else?
Speaker 1: Camp Cam gets the seven top tens in nineteen nineteen majors. Now got it. He's knock on the door. It's going to happen.
Speaker 2: God, hold, this is every skills, all the skills.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's going to be there. Iron I mink he should be on the shortlist for uh Rose Rose anything we want to talk about with Justin Rose.
Speaker 2: We certainly hit on him, like he got uncomfortable in the wind. I'll say his shot on seven low key like shot of the tournament. That another one that will be forgotten, like absolute cut from Lamanya was there. He can probably come in. He was like right behind him when he will talk about like shot of the tournament, the side spin just whipping down seven gets ripped a lot as like maybe the weakest hole out there and is now reduced again to dry almost the drive, which was what it was originally.
Speaker 1: And it's good that they moved the t back one hundred and twenty yards and in the original attent of Mackenzie's been with we're back now, thank you, thank you, golf Ballah, here we go. Yeah, it was but watching shots.
Speaker 2: Frequently there in those approaches is amazing. That was one of the great shots of the weekend. That that side spin. I don't have much else.
Speaker 1: The good Man Rose. Yeah, a lion, a real line, much more of a lion than Jay Day. I gotta apologize. You know, PJ worked me in a tizzy last night. And because because of his Jason Day slants.
Speaker 4: How this works, folks, I'm getting blamed for the bad takes.
Speaker 1: Well, no, because of your Jason Day slander. I just I just said, roses pretenders. I did lash out because I was I was. I was frustrated with your with your Jason Day slander.
Speaker 4: And do we want to talk about that?
Speaker 1: I mean, we don't need to talk about that.
Speaker 4: I think the lion, I think Joseph. When Joseph comes in, we're gonna talk about that a little bit.
Speaker 1: The lion was out rowing around.
Speaker 2: You know, it was awesome. Bertie Birdie Birdie eight nine seven.
Speaker 1: He's he's ageless. I don't know how many I don't know how he can keep getting into the man. He'll be forty six at next year's Masters. I think that, you know, last year, this year, I have a hard time. I think these were two shots. I don't think he's I think he's going to join the list of like snake bit.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's probably fair. I just but god, what a lot. I mean, you talk and we're gonna get to Sergio, We're gonna get to his ass in a minute. But you talk about like the same age, same contemporary, the guy who won in seventeen, the guy who lost in the playoff, and Sergio who's just been na just irrelevant at the Master since he won, and Rose just keeps coming back and keeps coming back and keeps coming back. Could have gone in two very different directions, or Sergio did not do this the ry rout of coming back to the well. But yeah, you think he's done in terms of this kind of opportunity.
Speaker 1: You know, one of the best press conference anecdotes that I had from today is Adam Scott, obviously contemporary, someone who's played against j R. For years. Somebody asked change his subject briefly, this will be my last question. What is it like to play with Justin now? What's it like to play with him? What's he like to play alongside? And Adam Scott said, I think that he's quite an intense competitor. Justin I don't think anyone should be surprised by that, given his showing again this week, his showing here last year. He's a very focused, intense competitor. So having spent my whole career kind of alongside each other, I'm saying this as a compliment that he's still so focused, maybe from the outside looking in a little bit even more focused than ever actually at this point in his career. And then they said, what about like his golf does he do well? Well, he's calculated. I think he really knows his own tendencies well and he plays around them all to his advantage.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: I think he's been very meticulous and about the way he's built his game. I would say probably for the last fifteen years, but certainly the last couple. I think there's been a very narrowed focus and he's very meticulous about things. The thing that I found most interesting, and I think this is so true, the calculation. I think Justin Rose like he understands like this tournament and when he needs to make moves and what he has to do and when he has to take things on and what like the key he has just this like he seems to hit the right shot at all the right times, and today we didn't see really anybody coming down the stretch. Like, I think he knew he had to take on thirteen, and I think he knew he had to make an eagle. He hit the shot, He hit the shot, and then he gave the eagle a real run. Yeah, Like he wanted the eagle, and I think he knew he needed the eagle there, he needed the eagle, and he went for the win and it didn't happen. But I I think he's like I walk away from this and he's not. I don't. He's for sure the not the most talented.
Speaker 3: He is.
Speaker 1: He has earned his place in the game by hard work. He gained speed in the early twenty tens, like, and he's gone about managing his body, managing his game. But he wins and he gets in the mix because he just he gets himself ready for the tournament physically and with the golf swing. But then he just has this incredible pulse and he knows what he has to do to get to win. He needs to get to and I think today like he went for it, and really, like you know, you look at this round the three putt killed him killed, but he needed the eagle there to win. He did need the eagle.
Speaker 2: He talked about the second shot on eleven really kind of put him on the fritz. That was deep, like super deep, and that was really when he started struggling with the wind. We should get to the sheriff.
Speaker 1: Should we bring in everybody.
Speaker 2: Let's get to the sheriff real quick well, which will transition us to a golf course chat and bring everybody in. Incredible birdie three puts two, goes long on eight and makes a run, makes a run, he said, you know, repeatedly in his press conference. You know, look, I was twelve shots back. I think I did pretty well. I end up going out at twelve shots back at the weekend. Everything that was done was done in the first two days. I think it would have been nice, you know, I think I did pretty well to be one shot out. A lot of golf course talk, and we'll get to it in a second. I'm not in charge of course setup, he said. I would have liked it. Who have been a little bit more and this is where the sirens start blazing a little bit more equal in terms of the firmness on Thursday and Friday. I was a bit surprised at how soft things were on Friday afternoon, especially as it got late in the day. But the weather also changes a bit, and it was windy on Thursday, So who knows. We play an outdoor sport. And he spoke about just getting the wrong side he did the draw.
Speaker 1: It's a true story. He got the wrong side of the draw. But isn't that just how they It's it's how golf works. And I think, you know, I think he said later in his interview session. Listen, like what costume was shooting two over on the easiest day. He goes out no win soft golf course and he shoots.
Speaker 2: Two over Friday. Probably hurt the most in terms of my chances of winning. Yeah, that's what he said, And I think like that at the end of the day, like he he just did not he didn't make enough putts. He hit a lot of great shots.
Speaker 1: You know, yesterday he almost he almost ended Jason Sible's career when he said it was a dumb question, then later and then later then backtracked. Probably probably not that bad of a question. But of course the only thing that got aggregated was that's a stupid question. Yeah, but uh yeah, I you know, listen, like he uh, he's got an amazing he's gonna win more of these, and he's got an amazing knack for just being around. And you know, I think he probably walks away from this feeling much like Rory I almost won this thing with my Beers.
Speaker 2: Game right right, one shot out yea. And yeah, I don't think this we're taking any kind of alarming sort of extrapolation from his week at all with anything, or just like he's still maybe the scariest dude in the sport. Is probably how we come away from this week.
Speaker 1: It's it, I mean, the Rory Scotty kind of one two gets more interesting after this. I think you probably still have or Scotty out out in front. But I mean, it's it's it's close. And I think this year, probably, if I had to guess, I think Rory's probably going to handle the three majors after this win, probably better than he handled the last ones. Is you know, it seemed like he kind of gotten a funk of like he accomplished such a huge thing, and you know it's like kind of like I think this year is you're going to see a more focused and sharp Rory at the next three major.
Speaker 2: Speaking of Rory and Scotty, a golf course setup that has Rory solo first and Scotty's solo second. Well, now you're doing the Valhalla thing, the good leaderboard. Yeah, they did it last night. Look, there was a lot of hollering about the I think people maybe we used dollar ammo on Saturday.
Speaker 1: That's fine.
Speaker 2: I don't want to repeat myself. This felt like a very simplistic, simplistic line of thinking that was sort of devoid of critical thought and just you shrouded in like statistics as like a safety net. And I think like what you saw on Thursday night, like or Thursday you're like, oh, it's firm. It just needs to get incrementally harder from here on out because it's not going to rain. And then there were some low scores on Saturday. It's just every single player. You have to just listen to the players. This is as firm as it's ever been. The greens are purple, the greens are the greens are a different shade of purple and brown. This is as firm as it's ever been. They were at the edge on Thursday. I think it yielded like you were getting punished if you hit poor shots. It wasn't like dartboard drive. It wedge it and it sticks, you know, and it sticks right there and rolls back a foot. None of that was happening. I thought Jordan's beef put it quick quite well. He said the holes that greens need to be softer are softer, and then it was let go on the others. This is a Sunday setup like it was on Thursday. You can't have it like Thursday with where the pins are on six down wind and stuff like that. So they have it at a playable spot, but you have differences in how firm some of the greens are compared to others, and you just trust that they know what they're doing, which is easier to trust here than anywhere else. I think Augusta Nashal is like pretty big on championship golf and championship tournament conditions, and you do have to trust them. I don't blind deference to them at all. It just felt like the narrative that set in it was aggregated everywhere. There's Golf Digest article about it, just like they went soft and drenched the greens like drenched. Nothing was drenched here, I mean just wasn't It wasn't critical thinking you were just over indexing on Thursday afternoon. I'm not an agronomy expert. I would say that I probably understand agronomy a little bit more than most golf writers or.
Speaker 1: Golf media folks do. But I think the reality there's also a dynamic of what the Masters is. The Masters is the tournament where people go can go get it and the race like you still, you saw that dynamic on Saturday and Friday, and the weather was really dry. And what I mean by dry is like when there's no humidity, the greens can get really firm, really fast if there's wind. And I think Thursday, I'm I'm certain that the golf made the green jackets a little uncomfortable for the rest of the week. Like I think they were uncomfortable with where the golf course got on Thursday afternoon. So yes, they put water down on Friday morning, but that was water down to protect in case it got windy, which you don't know. If it got windy on those days, you would have seen really firm greens in the afternoon, but it didn't. And this is exactly like when the USGA has lost Shinnecock. This is exactly the equation low humidity days where the breeze picks up and then the greens get too firm. So you have this dynamic of we have to put water down in case the weather forecast change. You can't. Yeah, the weather look forecast looked great all week and you had like but if that changes, you can't lose the golf course. Like at the horror of what you're trying to do, you you want the golf course, and especially their golf course is always going to be a part. We see the golf course play a huge role, whether it's soft or whether it's firm. But like, you can't have the golf course and you losing it be the number one story. And the line is more narrow, and I think, like what people don't realize, and I think where like some of this comes from. It was also hot, so the ball was going really far, and the ball stops when you're hitting a lob wedge, it just does. And and these guys were hitting lob wedges into everywhere. I mean, Rory hit a six iron into eight today. That is a monster hole uphill I think it is it five to eighty uphill. Yeah, he hit a six iron into the green. Okay, so the ball has gotten completely the ball and equipment have gotten completely out of control, where like fourteen to padri and pitch drive in pitch hole and so you're hitting these short clubs in so yeah, but like when you see them hit longer clubs in like today with like six down wind was just like it was a nobody could hit the top portion fifteen down wind today it was incredibly hard to Like, Cameron Young hits the ball as high as anybody in the world outside of maybe Rory and pent Marco Penji. But he hits the ball, he hits towering iron shots and I'm fifteen. He can't hold the green. So today you get wind and the greens get firm and nobody complains. Yesterday you don't get wind and people complain. And the day before you don't get wind, so people complain. But like this is not but you can't just you don't just set like there's not like some little like button that you set. And that's what it gets to be all day long.
Speaker 2: Thought, it's complaining without proposal of any kind of alternative.
Speaker 1: Complaining from people that aren't out watching golf shots actually like land and react and hear the sound that they're making on the green. The winner shot seventy three seventy one on the weekend, Like, okay, you've complained.
Speaker 2: What did you want? You wanted to shoot seventy you wanted all eighties? Like did you want where? Did you want the pins? What is your proposal? What is your alternative? I think we would be all over it if it went like if they were super soft and this was a disgrace and this wasn't what we want from Augusta, we would absolutely shout out about it. I think it's just they saw the forecast no rain. Everybody needs to shoot eighty this week because it's not raining, and like, there's no alternative proposal other than to shout and holler about it being like not as hard as you want it. There's no actual realistic counter.
Speaker 1: Anyways, seventy three seventy one was enough to get it done on the weekend and thirteen and they had their their bite back.
Speaker 2: It was awesome.
Speaker 1: They could have probably pushed it a little bit more. Okay, Friday, they're like, yeah, you might have been able to push it a little bit more. But again it just illuminates and this goes back to Chairman Reley's uh you know first or is press conference. It illuminates the issue with the ball. Yes, Scotty Shuffler covered the bunkers on one today that he's a middle of the road hitter like like hep. These guys are hitting wedges into one to everything.
Speaker 2: That's to make the complaint that Augusta went soft and just not bringing up the ball in relation to how they are driving it to wedge distance on these what are supposed to be these beefy part fours. Is that is the bigger problem. And I know people say we're sitting from the same hymn sheet ball blaming the ball. Open your eyes, like that's that's what? Where is the needle you want to thread when they have to wedd What do you want the course to be when they are when they're hitting it that far? What do you how do you want them to shoot eighty?
Speaker 1: Well, I just don't know how you you can get greens like when you're just hitting wedges in. But then like the problem is they're hitting wedges into all these par fours. But if you get all the greens super firm. Then people would complain that fifteen's unhittable, right and thirteen's unhittable.
Speaker 2: Or it's just you can't go for it, no go, And the drive on thirteen has never felt more consequential now, So it's interesting. I mean, Scotty hit a good drive there and had no chance to get to go to the green. Rory has an eight iron like it just like shot shape seems to matter. I'm not saying Scotty had a great like his best drive ever, but like he was miles away, didn't even pretend to go for the green thirteen. Rory got his shaped a little bit and has it. I think he said eight iron. Did you say eight iron? I think it'd like that's a that's a really consequential drive again, you know, as maybe they weren't always even him driver a few years ago. All right, that's the course. Why one more thing to support your uh, support your European greatest European golfer of all time, Luke Donald, who knows. I think he's a pretty contemplative voice.
Speaker 1: So we did.
Speaker 2: Tyne Sevy with two green jackets will mean a lot to Rory. He is undoubtedly the best European golfer of all time. Now, so you said emphatically, Luke donald says, undoubtedly the best European golfer of all time. So a lot of consequential golf was played today. We bring in the crew. Let's bring in the crew.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about, Uh, who do we wanna talk about?
Speaker 2: How Ton Lee? What are we bringing in the relief pictures to talk about how Ton kV V and Joseph Biden Read them in the newsletter? Read them in the newsletter. Kevin's got a feature piece coming on the day, probably on Rory maybe maybe just decided to hard left turn. I saw Joseph. I saw Joseph on nine Green. I walked up, first time i'd seen him day. I said, these are the four scariest words in sports. Here comes Russell Henley because he had taken the lead. Mama. I was like, you're in trouble now, baby. Henley's on the move.
Speaker 1: Kevin, Hey, peach, did you hear the big news?
Speaker 4: What it's the big news?
Speaker 1: I don't want to I don't want to interlude here, but I figured i'd sneak it in what is the big news? Well? Wne, I I did. I was going to bring this up to you.
Speaker 4: I was going to bring this up to you. That's big.
Speaker 1: I just wanted to give Joseph time to get in. He was moving like an old man.
Speaker 4: It's okay, it's fine.
Speaker 1: I knew we got the boys cam. Do we have the boys?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 4: We got boys cam live.
Speaker 3: Are the Boys getting old again?
Speaker 1: From just sting out there walking thirty six? The boys thought the leader, they thought they could be out here. They don't want to be out here.
Speaker 4: I think I think we did already.
Speaker 1: Boys. I mean, he let you guys kick this off here. Did you? Were you guys surprised by Jason Dave's performances today, because I was, no.
Speaker 5: No, not surprised.
Speaker 6: I only take a little bit of offense to you saying that we weren't Dolph fans back when Jason David was good.
Speaker 5: We remember Jason Day being good, and you know what.
Speaker 4: It was kind of a long time we go ten years actually, is what I was.
Speaker 3: It's gonna fly. Someday people will be the next version of the Boys. We'll be talking to you guys about what's Roy mack will I.
Speaker 1: Like, like, you know what, imagine imagine eight years from now, you're people. There's gonna be young pups that are gonna be like, you know, Cameron Young sucks and you're gonna have to eat it.
Speaker 3: I mean, braids blown is the greatest player of all time. You're about to be a knowwer, You're gonna have to This.
Speaker 1: Is really like a full circle.
Speaker 2: Like I kind of got into this in like fourteen when went on his run like that, Like I convinced me to like I really want to do golf for a living, but like, golf is what I want to do. I love writing about this guy winning majors. And now we got the boys on a similar event with Cam the winning players championships and being in the fight, and here we are, you know, twelve years later.
Speaker 4: It's fine, it's fine. You know he played well. I don't want to do you have any camp takes?
Speaker 5: No, I have a Seene Lowry take, which is shot.
Speaker 6: Now shot one hundred and sixty one on Sundays over the last two over the last.
Speaker 4: Year to eighty eighty versus the eighty one last year when he was pissed off that everybody's just asking him about Rory Shane Lowry speaking of things that happened ten years ago, Shane Lowry in the United States by himself. It's been ten years. You really don't like I just I'm just I'm He's a world class player, according to the media, did.
Speaker 3: You hear Roryd's quote, yeah, presser now. He said he was looking to asking if you were looking at scoreboards throughout the day, and he was like, yeah, I was looking up and I was going to see if how Shane was doing, because I thought, you know, it makes me feel good if I put the jacket on Shane. If I wasn't gonna win it.
Speaker 4: I was like, were taking Shane Lowry down?
Speaker 3: Shane shooting forty one on the front or whatever.
Speaker 1: I couldn't have been locked real.
Speaker 4: Long because he was up there until Shane Lowry was on the thirteenth green looking at the scoreboard behind fourteen T and that's when they took him down.
Speaker 1: Hey, Joseph, I got I gotta ask you a question from at six one, two six eight. How was downtown Augusta.
Speaker 5: We didn't really make it.
Speaker 2: Knot room we wanted.
Speaker 1: I'd say, we want too much to downtown.
Speaker 6: Not as cool as downtown Port Rush, but it's up there.
Speaker 2: Love that love that. keV Early reactions or immediate reactions the day we will read your piece in the morning or even this evening.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think you know, you guys touched on it a lot. But this to me just represents like the evolution of Rory McElroy the thinker. Like obviously that was coming over time, but you know, he didn't have to rely on like these prodigious gifts that had always kind of given him this kind of aura, right, this ethereal quality of who he was as a player. This was gritty, This was grinded out. This was like, hold on your nuts and absolutely find a way to make pars. And I think there's something kind of really admiral about that, Like you don't have to win majors every single way. Tiger showed us that that sometimes you're gonna be awesome and sometimes you're just gonna outlast everyone, grind them to death. And I think he has You know, you should feel really proud of the fact that he's now this kind of player who can do this different ways. You know, there was a time I remember sitting Bernie, you bring up fourteen. I remember sitting in the Chambers Bay press conference and he was like, yeah, I'm just gonna be kind of a volatile player. I'm gonna miss three cuts in a row, and then I'm gonna win three things in a row. And when I can get on those hot streaks, it's gonna be great. And I don't really care about the bad ones. And then he went through that stretch of US opens post Chambers. But it whereas like Shinnecock Oakmont, you know, Aaron Hills, bad, bad, bad, like really embarrassing sort of performances for a player of his caliber to miss three US opens in a row. And now he is just not that guy. I mean, he is the person who absolutely is gonna be in the fight, you know, a lot if he has any kind of game. And I just think that this performance was it was cool to watch. I mean, I remember last year will always be special because because of what it represented. But this one, man, this one was grinding, gritty effort.
Speaker 6: I feel like the part that maybe hasn't been discussed on this podcast at length yet is that there are some players who really let this slip out of their grasp, Like Justin Rose had this tournament and completely let it get away. And there are a couple other guys you talked about Cam missing all the putts.
Speaker 1: Justin Rose is a pretender, well according to some people.
Speaker 6: But the point in speaking to what Kevin's getting at, like, it's about getting it done, whether you have your a game or you don't. And I feel like previous versions of Rory, less complete versions of Rory would not have won today when you're scrapping it around on the weekend, and he was kind of scrapping it around throughout the weekend on.
Speaker 5: The weekend a week yeah, yeah, yeah, but especially Saturday.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean, let's just talk in general, like he's learned how to be a better wedge player, right, He's learned how to have all different kinds of trajectories with his irons. He when he needed a drive on seventeen when he couldn't afford and notother thing. Absolutely let this low bullet down of a tee shot that bugged him really for the last two years. It's just that player is so different than the twenty fourteen, twenty fifteen version who was like, fit, let's tee at high and just bang it down there. And I'm confident I can hit this big ass draw and just nail it down there ninety percent of the time, and that was that worked for a long time for him, But the golf has changed. Like as you guys talked a lot about the agronomy stuff, like you know, because the players can hit it so far, they have to push the course to the edge. And I got some of the set up stuff. I just am confused by because like it's not like anybody shot the course record this week because all this idea that is like so easy out there. It was okay, but like did shuffer shoot sixty two?
Speaker 1: Like on Saturday's movie day, Like isn't like the history of the Masters on Saturday, Like that's the day people go get it, you know, and there's just a little moves on the on the board.
Speaker 3: You want excitement, right, you want? I mean, you know, Phil was complaining about how there wasn't any eagles or whatever. But it's like all of a sudden, it's like the truth with Garrett dug Into is like yeah there. It is kind of like a momentous decision again, Like it is kind of hard to go for those greens and two. It's it's it's not like when they were hitting four woods into it in you know, the seventies, But it is like there's a lot of risk involved, and I think I just don't I can't get like behind, you know when the score is what it is, like it's it was twelve under. He won that, Like what are we asking for? Like do we really like is it gonna is six under? Is that a better Masters? I just feel like they kind of got the balance pretty right, and they have for the last four years.
Speaker 2: Well matter where do you land on the course this course, we don't need to go too heavy.
Speaker 1: Where did you land? From a data?
Speaker 6: I empathize with Scotti's viewpoint that Yeah, conditions were fairly similar both days, and the course played quite softer on Friday, Like I would probably be frustrating his position. But if you were out there, if you're watching the shots traffic cop, the margins were super slim.
Speaker 1: Maybe may if JL i'ms joining the four. The margins were super slow.
Speaker 5: The margins were slim.
Speaker 6: I mean we watched how Tung Lee put on thirteen like up and over and down into the water, and it wasn't like his putt was carrying a ton of paste over. It's not like the greens were slow. The greens were fast. It was firm fifteen you could barely hold again, you guys touched on it, but this is a conversation about equipment.
Speaker 3: I think it's Scotty's in case in general. You know, he the reason obviously, you guys, this happened before I came on the like to the company. But like he has in his mind, he just loves fairness, right, He's so annoyed, more annoyed than other people by a gust of wind.
Speaker 4: Or a huge stickler for fairness.
Speaker 3: If he would love it if the conditions were exactly the same for everyone. That's why he was kind of, you know, complaining why I like ball in hand or whatever the PGA, And I think it obviously it's because he's just so frickin talented. He knows that his talent will kind of outlast every almost every single person if the things are all things are equal, And he's such a competitive person that what he wants is like a fair stage. He wants to basically be at the Olympics where you line up and run the exact same hundred meters that everyone else does, and that's just not golf.
Speaker 1: I well, I think he wants that because he's the best executor. Yeah, I like, if you just stood on a driving range and said, hit shots at this flag. I think Scotty would win all the time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what's that tailor made video where he like hitting him on the launch monitor and like how far is that going on? And it's like comes up on track man one fifteen three oh two, three oh two, like he can. He's so good at knowing exactly the right yardage to hit it to that without any elements of course, he's going to hit flags.
Speaker 4: You gotta wonder why is he not playing TGL if he just wants, you know, Dome Golf.
Speaker 5: Joseph where numbers aren't correct?
Speaker 1: A tg aleged Joseph.
Speaker 2: Where are you landing with Cameron right now after the day? Uh, he's out there with you for a good portion.
Speaker 6: I think when we just say somebody just missed putts, like there's truth to it, but also, you know, I feel like it sometimes abdicates the quality of the putts, Like, yeah, Cameron missed a lot of putts down the stretch that he probably should have made one or two.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I think.
Speaker 6: Reading his quotes, he more or less felt like he did everything he needed to win. I don't know if you guys have had a chance to read his quick quotes, but he was basically like, I hit the ball well enough to win by multiple shots.
Speaker 5: So he did No, I agree, I agree, but he didn't.
Speaker 6: He didn't get it done, and I felt like there was a little bit of a lack of that X factor down the stretch to carry a couple No, no, not a house cat.
Speaker 5: Not a house cat by any means a house cat.
Speaker 1: Young lion, young lion, Yeah, young, you're not young lion. Maybe maybe a bigger cat.
Speaker 4: I'm excited for Cat's part two. We've had any conversations, it's coming out.
Speaker 1: I think he could be like maybe like a panther, a young panther that got bad.
Speaker 6: Honestly, I think Cameron Young. That's obviously a huge part of the stories in the final group. But what Rose Rose letting this one slip away? To me, it was probably the biggest takeaway.
Speaker 1: Of the day.
Speaker 2: Had the lead gone to the ten ticks, he chipped one back to his feet on number three.
Speaker 3: The chip on twelve was horrid. I mean that just resulted in a bogie, but the.
Speaker 6: Chip on eleven was bad, and he talked to Tori that his short game still needs to be cleaned up. If he wants to have a chance to win some of these, and that really did cost him today.
Speaker 3: I think, you know, I truly believe you guys are right and the Cam is gonna win a couple majors. I think two would be a good number. I think he's he's shown that much game. You have to get in the mix a little bit at Augusta, I think to kind of understand all of the feels of that pressure, and the bogie on seven was not a particularly good one. That's where it started to sort of slip a little bit.
Speaker 4: For Yeah, back back to back six and seven.
Speaker 2: What was ke You've You've covered so many of these majors and these major Sundays in major mount What was your like approach today?
Speaker 3: Andy?
Speaker 2: I talked about bouncing around, like where what was your like feel of.
Speaker 3: I walked the whole front nine with Rory and Cam, and I just felt like I could see Rose, I could see Cheffer climbing, and I was like, I have to like see the big picture of this. I mean, I've I walked all eight team with Rory last year, and so I thought, you know, even if Rory wins, this is never going to like live up till last year's kind of thing. So I I ducked in the media center and just started taking notes and kind of seeing the whole board. I knew you guys were out watching. I was like, you guys can get a lot of color, but I need to be able to see the chess board. That's rare for me because I kind of hate being inside and like not feeling this sort of thing like that the cigar detailed smoke that's that is right in my alley of like the kind of shit that I love. And I feel like a little bummed that I wasn't, you know, there to sort of see this scene on eighteen. But I also by that time, I was like when he hit the pun on seventeen, I was like, gosh, I'd run out to eighteen and sort of see this whether it's a disaster or whether it's a triumph unfold and I just thought, you know what, I got to sit in here, but go ahead. You know what.
Speaker 1: One of my big takeaways was, I think Augusta National it just golf in general, but it's ramped up at Augusta National. It is so hard to play three great rounds in a row. And if you look at everybody that's on this leader board. They effectively just had one mediocre round mixed in here, and that's the difference. Scotty, it's the seventy four in round two, you know, Rory is the seventy three in round three. Then you go down to Cam. Cam's was today really in round one? An He's sensational in between, right, That's basically like and Justin Rose ironically was like, you know, he just didn't have the one great round. You know that was the putter never allowed him to have the one great round this week. And I think that's the thing with Justin Rose.
Speaker 2: At various points today I thought Rory was gonna win. I thought Rory was gonna lose. Would everybody agree with that? Were there was there a point today where you didn't think Rory was gonna win?
Speaker 3: What you made the double on four?
Speaker 2: I was like, yeah, I don't know this based off SATURDAYX six For me, I.
Speaker 3: Was like, ugh, six, I felt like he hit a good iron shot there, just won a couple of yards too far. But the iron shot on four was not good and the chip was almost went in, but then the first pot was bad and then to mix the next one I was like.
Speaker 2: What about you, La, Did you ever think Roy was not gonna win?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 6: Yeah, When I saw the double go up on four, I didn't. I didn't think it was over, but I mean Cam and Justin because Justin Rose hit the shot on seven very shortly after that, one of the craziest shots. I was right behind him when he hit it was aimed thirty yards left of the green, peels it back to six inches and is strutting up to the eighth tea box like it was in his hands.
Speaker 3: Can I have a question for you guys. I was next to eight green when Cam hit that chip from over there, and I couldn't really see because you know, it was kind of hiding the people. Everyone thought that he hit like a shank there, but it seemed like he.
Speaker 1: Was trying to back.
Speaker 5: Then Cam practiced that shot for about ten minutes during Okay.
Speaker 3: It just sounded a little clunky and everyone went ooh, And I was like, I don't there's no way he shanked that right like, and it was. It was an awesome play. Then to sort of bring that back, I you know, Ry hit a great shot in there, and it kind of was a pretty weak eagle putt, but that was kind of like at least like those two in a row sort of felt like got the round.
Speaker 2: So it's a day. I think when we all felt like Rory could win, Cam could win, there was a moment we thought Cam was gonna win. I would say, object just jumping and object when everything rose was gonna win. I think we all thought there was a moment there, Scotty, anyone object? Did you just say, Scotty?
Speaker 1: I think after he birdied three, I was like, oh, he's coming.
Speaker 3: Yeay, he just I thought when he birdied fifteen sixteen, I mean, I know that's late in the game, but I don't know how much you guys saw his third shot into fifteen. Did you see that?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I just I thought it was too late because at that point Rory was already like he needed a birdie out.
Speaker 5: In my mind, it was too late.
Speaker 6: On thirteen fairway, I thought there was a chance that Scotty Scheffler, Yeah, that was the first time early in the round is like it was a possibility. But on thirteen fairway, if he makes either birdy or eagle.
Speaker 1: How was that dry so far back?
Speaker 3: Yep?
Speaker 2: Did he hit threewood or something?
Speaker 1: That was so fun.
Speaker 3: He was right in the middle of the fairway and there was no even thought about trying to sling a draw.
Speaker 5: I didn't see the t show.
Speaker 1: He was really far back. I mean, must have been fifty yards the day a couple of days ago he had that driving iron into it. I it's a really hard shot for Scotty because if he wants to get in a good spot, he has to turn the ball over, which he doesn't doesn't really like to do.
Speaker 2: Other other notes, you guys want onload, I think we could do. I have a couple of quick grades. I want to get to Tyrrel Hadden Wikipedia yellow, the definition of Wikipedia yellow.
Speaker 1: I mean more call finishing.
Speaker 3: He gets an absolutely ad Fleetwood.
Speaker 6: Fleetwood was pretty. He was in the mix for a little bit and then totally ejected.
Speaker 1: He gets a bat that was yesterday.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Max Helma with like the most irrelevant top ten you know.
Speaker 3: But though Max has been a long time from like sniffing any like top tens of a major, he played really well and I think I know just if you don't like to think he's a he's a placer level PJ Tour player, but here he plays good golf. Here and like, I think that speaks something to his imagination in his game.
Speaker 4: A certain media member, there's just three.
Speaker 3: Top tens now the Master, three top fifteens.
Speaker 4: A certain media member did pose a question to me that could Max Homa be the first guy to qualify like via top twelve in the Masters, but also lose his tour card in the same year.
Speaker 3: I guarantee that that would not be. There's plenty of dudes back in the day. He would take top sixteen at the and the Masters come back.
Speaker 1: I mean, you know a couple others the can't lay T twelve. He might not. He might not qualify for the Masters next year.
Speaker 2: Speakless other than the T twelve, speakless tea.
Speaker 5: Some really good golf is kind of I.
Speaker 3: Always said, he said, I've never hit it better, even in the years when I like other maybe other than the year I won, I've never hit it better than I hit it this week, putting was bad.
Speaker 2: Where are you guys with read and burns? Are we giving burns? Burns probably gets a positive mark?
Speaker 1: Is he finished?
Speaker 2: He seven bad Sunday? I know that the taste about the time.
Speaker 1: Didn't get that, didn't get that for the No, he just he made a bad arrest.
Speaker 4: He was super he rested the wrong guy.
Speaker 3: I did think, briefly though, because we did the eighty six rewatch when Burns birdied sixteen on that like fifty footer, I was like, whoa, what if he makes another birdie? And then he's like, all of a sudden like tom Kite like putting for the lead, and everyone's like, where did this guy come from?
Speaker 1: Well, he was what we watched him on seventeen. I was like, consequential putting.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So apparently that was not on the broadcast at all.
Speaker 5: The Double Kid.
Speaker 4: They showed him teeing off and then not mentioned anything that happened.
Speaker 3: Has there been any broadcast takes yet?
Speaker 2: Seven Holes?
Speaker 3: Honestly, I look, it wasn't great. There was a lot of frustrating things on the back nine, I mean losing shots, like completely losing track of players. It just was like a weird year for CBS. I didn't quite understand what was going on exactly, but they were I mean they did they I don't even think they talked really about Scotty getting jammed by how Song for like ten minutes.
Speaker 2: It was so ten is a generous just when I were there it was twenty.
Speaker 5: I also think he might have taken a stinky drop still, but at.
Speaker 2: That I just wanted him taking any drop to move the proceed, like literally throw the ball in the hole because I was not gonna win, Like just throw it on the ground.
Speaker 3: I was watching the Aim and Corner feed and I kept looking back to it, and I was because I was trying to pay attention to Scotty, and the broadcast was like they didn't go back to Scotty forever. I couldn't figure out one, so I flipped it over and you could just see how tong like wandering through the bushes doing you know, and then he's like twenty three. It just felt like there should have been a discussion about that of like, hey, Scott Shffler has a real chance to win the Masters and having to wait like twenty minutes to hit his second shot on thirteen.
Speaker 6: At one point picked up his ball to take an unplayable and I think he was incorrect about where he could take it and had to go back after he'd already picked it up.
Speaker 5: It was a scene.
Speaker 3: He's a character, I mean, he was. He definitely made me laugh with all that stuff about pooping his brains out all week. But you know that was not exactly It was a bit unbecoming when you're playing with a guy who's like truly in contention.
Speaker 2: Poor marks for day, poor marks for reed.
Speaker 3: Just disappeared.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he did his sponsor obligation Friday night and touched the sun and this the jet they flew literally flew out his Vesta jet to the Sun with the Hatten. The Hatten T four or whatever T three I will like, remember it's the mostly consequent T three.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry speaking of inconsequential T T threes. The rust Bus, I mean rust Buss.
Speaker 1: There were shades of of the Ryder Cup where Russ is surging into the end of contention and then and all of a sudden, he just starts hitting terrible Potts hand up.
Speaker 4: Like just watching the board speaking of people who you ever thought had a chance to win. I was, I was worried about the existence of no no, no, I just I He just got to ten so quick, and I was like, I haven't watched Russell Henley in his shot all week. I don't know what. I don't have anything to comment on.
Speaker 1: Listen what what REI said in the pre tournament about there being ten to twelve players that could win the tournament. It's so true. And of the people that finished on the board, I think it's like Rory Scheffler. I don't think Hatton is going to win the Masters personally, Justin Rose, Cameron Young and that was that was it. Those four. It felt like through the day at one point or another, and like that Xander Schoffley didn't play well enough, and you know, and then you go down and John Ram, John Ram shot a nice sixty eight. We're going to get into thirty eight. Yeah, great live golf grade. Well, they disaster, they had a podium finished, they got a podium.
Speaker 2: I mean my younger days. This is one that just relishes meat Ball. I want to throw this to the to Kevin and the boys, like live golf could not have been more disastrous.
Speaker 1: Why are you gonna do that?
Speaker 2: Sergio trying to get their books and the impressionable young boys over there.
Speaker 1: They at the boys as they are trying. I saw that. I saw the email lunch with Hiri.
Speaker 6: I'd stay close to close to an. I'll give it a d because of Tyroll because it's her. I think John Ram and Bryson was super embarrassing, but Sergio got the headline on the PR front and not great Sergio. I mean Sergio is who he thought he was. I've written about this.
Speaker 3: For my I think you're the one person who's really always been like a bad guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if you were an asshole, ay, and an asshole at twenty five and cover your kid like in your soole at thirty five and you're.
Speaker 2: Stealing, he's still doing it. It's like, oh, Sergio's matured. I read that story when I was like ten years ago. I got spitting in the cup, like.
Speaker 1: He's still an asshole.
Speaker 3: He's a bad guy.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, and he hasn't done anything since he won. Am I yelling too much? Sorry? Okay, it's just okay. This is Sergio is always a button that you can always just It was.
Speaker 2: The least surprising media.
Speaker 3: Media got some grief this old bad question, Scotty, But the media was kind of riding Sergio pretty good. We're trying to get some answers out of him, and he was the press there. No, he snapped at him, of course, but I was impressed, like you and Murray bomb Hart kept going out him, you know, like what was the conduct for like well, I'm not gonna answer next question, you know. And what did what what what did young say to you? I'm not going to tell you.
Speaker 2: He took a chunk out of the tea box and smashed his driver on a cooler, you know. And dug Fort had the report that jeff Yange, the new chairman competition, been in first year on the job, just throwing in the deep end getting some surgery. O reps went out to the fourth t it said, gave him a code of conduct warning. Ferguson the Great Ap reported at it also hearing this new conduct policy is being used for the first time this year for at least two majors. Second violation shoe shots. Third is DQ combined.
Speaker 3: We want it should be like points on your license. You keep them kind of like that, and then if you get another like if next year he gets another conduct viation, it's a stroke. One more of that, it's a DQ.
Speaker 1: It's like Draymond Green with the technical over the first of the year and then the crew and the NBA hands lebron in title. Who do we want? All right?
Speaker 4: Who do we want to name this after? Because I I came on No, no, because after if if two majors. Uh, you know, after incidents at two majors last year. This is the Windom Clark rule. Yeah, this is this is the Windom Clark rule period.
Speaker 1: Can I tell you something that made me just giggle while I was sitting by myself early in the morning, please, So Sergio breaks his driver and and then like I'm watching, I'm just sitting by nine Green, just enjoying the morning watching players play through. You know, start with Kittie Kat there, next next group up. I'm like, the scoreboard turns and it's Sergio and Rom and there's one ball like twenty five yards behind it. And I'm like, oh, it's Sergio and it's still on the downslope. So I proms down in the flat and Sergio's on the downslope because he had to hit three wood. He hit an awesome shot, but I just was like chuckling to myself. I'm like, oh my god, he just made this whole so much harder because on the second hole of the of the fourth round, when he's completely out of the mix, he decided to play.
Speaker 3: Of course, he had had an enormous asshole answer about that too. They were like, well, how hard was it too? When you didn't have driver. It's easy because there's no decision with every old next.
Speaker 2: Question, that's great, I mean, what why just breaking your driver when in like an inconsequential in the tournament at this point with what it was forty five years old.
Speaker 1: I love John.
Speaker 3: I love for John's like, whoa, yeah, look Rom.
Speaker 2: Saying he'll now prepare differently, but won't say what. He's like, I'm going to start doing this differently, like the Greens are this firm. I'm going to start doing this differently, like.
Speaker 1: Do you think this firm?
Speaker 2: But yeah, he said, you don't see what this firm? I need to prepare differently. Yeah, it's purple.
Speaker 1: I need to prepare John Rom has to prepared. That's what he said. This is a live?
Speaker 2: Is this like many people right into this is like all the live schedules a joke. It doesn't prepare you for the majors. I don't think that's what he meant necessarily.
Speaker 6: So, yeah, Rory didn't exactly you know he praised on the PGA Tour lead up.
Speaker 1: Oh totally not like this isn't a pure live. I didn't read it that way quite frankly. Also, why didn't he.
Speaker 2: Tell us what you know. I mean, I think I know what he meant.
Speaker 4: He could just pull the rory and play, you know, just show up, just kind of be here all the time.
Speaker 1: It worked. I can't wait for next year. Let's go into the next year. Max Grazerman qualifies, you know, miraculous run and he decides he wants to do the Rory prep and he spends three weeks and two days in that. They tap him on the shoulder. Do you when do you leave it?
Speaker 2: He's probably busy agitating for Crypto to be paid out from the purse.
Speaker 3: I heard a good story of this week. I think they just send you a bill. It's just like, hey, hey, we think you maybe need to stay at the quality end up the road. We're gonna send you a bill for the first two weeks. And it's like two hundred thousand dollars.
Speaker 2: What other notes do you guys have?
Speaker 1: Joseph Well on the lif stuff.
Speaker 6: The only time Phil Ncholson missed this year's event whatever's going on? And the only time he made any headlines was having a crazy take about thirteen and fifteen, like.
Speaker 5: Just unseerious all out.
Speaker 1: What's his take? What was his take?
Speaker 5: She basically said that length is not always better. Now there aren't.
Speaker 1: Eagles lengthening the holes, right, yes, now there.
Speaker 6: Aren't eagles anymore. On thirteen and fifteen, which I think you guys covered yesterday, But I mean thirteen and fifteen were probably the two highlights of the tournament this year.
Speaker 2: Yeah oh yeah, not easy birdies at all, mostly a lot of five go ahead.
Speaker 4: I just I had this note just for my standing at the At the first t Cameron comes comes across and takes his hat off, shakes all the markers and the announcer's hands, and Rory just blow by, all all business, didn't even flinch at anybody. I just wanted to point that out, you know.
Speaker 2: A good guy, not so good guy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean Jerry, Jerry would check that hand.
Speaker 5: Oh didn't you wanted to bring up the hat we saw?
Speaker 2: This was my favorite moment with with Lemaona. We were on thirteen. Hawaton's puttson around. There's an older gentleman and a red fire engine red hat and we know what that means nowadays, a red hat with big bold hawksman, big bold letters on the front. Okay, and he turns and he faces us, and you know you expect a certain verbiage and it says Relax, it's just a red hat on the front. And he was an older gentleman in the demo. That's good and Lamaia I go like, you're going to Sunday at the Masters, Like who you look at the closet.
Speaker 1: You're like, I'm going with this one today and I'm gonna wear this on thirteen at eight. Relax, it's just a red hat.
Speaker 2: It's pretty good.
Speaker 1: I saw a guy dressed in like full Sigma Kai fraternity regalia and he was like sixty five years old, like hat and like white button down shirt, and it's like, oh about what, Like you decided to wear all frat gear and you're like sixty five to the Masters on Sunday and it was a longsley button down. It's gonna be ninety Usher. I saw Usher in a sweater up there, Usher Raymond. He looked very hot.
Speaker 4: Joe Jonah was in some crazy fit with a lot of cotton bend sure comfortable.
Speaker 3: Rough and the doll was only celebrity I saw this week.
Speaker 2: He was around the first T speaking of the first T. An interesting moment, just random, totally random note as Rory and Cam were on the first tea getting ready to go JT and Victor and finished putting on eighteen and crazy they were. They were walking through the tunnel and going to the score, going to the clubhouse, and like they're in the middle of the tunnel and j like JT just like turns back and like looks at the first t and like longingly, like just just staring at it as it's like it's just totally full. It's envelope. And Cam hadn't put his peg. It was interesting. It was like a moving not moving, but it was powerful. Like I was like, I could be there late two o'clock tea.
Speaker 1: Can I ask a serious question?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 1: JT?
Speaker 3: Yeah exactly. I don't know if you.
Speaker 1: Had to bet on JT or Jordan Spieth winning another master's who would you bet on another Master?
Speaker 4: Yeah, winnings, Justin Thomas, Jordan, I know who you're got one.
Speaker 3: Justin Thomas has never showed any ability to compete her, but he's.
Speaker 5: Shown a pulse in the last eighteen months.
Speaker 4: Good, it's really good. It's run on the corner.
Speaker 3: Who's contended in more majors in the last five years to speak? Or JT? I think it's speak five years.
Speaker 5: I don't I don't think I care what it.
Speaker 1: Feels like a conversation.
Speaker 3: Thomas has been one pretending at Harvard Town next year either serious d L.
Speaker 1: Three those two memorial for j T and Speed.
Speaker 2: We're going to get some big signature boys next week.
Speaker 5: I feel I would say I'll take JT's future.
Speaker 1: Earn a spot at the heritage or was it sponsor?
Speaker 6: I believe it was on his own merit actually finished. But you know who did get a sponsor exemption?
Speaker 2: Tony, He's on the full circuit. Look at this, that might be our time to sign off anything else? What else, Kevin? Any other big picture thought?
Speaker 1: Oh, I was gonna say, I was gonna say, I think Jordan Speed. I think if I had to better up one, if I had to pick the two, I would take Speed.
Speaker 4: I think Jordan's Speed and Johnson.
Speaker 2: Mister mister Potts was still on around. Mister pott gears just the old man. A lot of a music.
Speaker 3: It's a lot.
Speaker 2: A couple of times I just chuckle.
Speaker 4: I saw mckibbon was in full thirteen he presumably his scripting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, this is a good question from that crowd. Rory Rory a double Grand Slam or or Speith. Was it more likely Rory double Grand Slam or Speed Grand Slam? So he needs another US Open and another Don't Open.
Speaker 3: I'll tell Justsep Bonner. I don't think sweet can win a PG. I don't think.
Speaker 4: I don't think anybody.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 5: I think he chance.
Speaker 1: I think I actually think if you were going to pick a course that he could win at, I think he could win a run.
Speaker 3: Hey, I think he went at Frisco at first.
Speaker 1: What there's too much trouble at first?
Speaker 3: A home game?
Speaker 2: Would it count at Frisco? But that actually count?
Speaker 1: Would you just give it a half? I think there's a real chance that Rory Boycott's Frisco.
Speaker 5: That would be sick.
Speaker 1: I bet no. Conversely, he wins it and then he has to like acknowledge that you know it's Frisco.
Speaker 3: All right? Go ahead? Picture thought, please, that's why you're here.
Speaker 1: We love you.
Speaker 3: I think the Masters has I wouldn't get this right. There's a little bit more and more creep every year of the kind of corporate standing of its edges, and I just I really felt that this year for the first time.
Speaker 1: Oh you want to do that let's do it. It's just open enough of canon.
Speaker 2: I had a two hour I was like, are we going the Wednesday? I was looking at this, is this the Wednesday episode? Please?
Speaker 1: I think it might be the boys.
Speaker 2: We also have like a big way this week is PGA Tour versus But the end of these that are not the PGA Tour, We'll talk about that another time, but please Kevin go ahead.
Speaker 3: You know, obviously some of the Part three stuff became a big part of that conversation or this week, and like the clown show that has kind of lost contain a little bit. And I was trying to trace back when this Part three, in my mind became like a celebrity event, and my old employer ESPN is certainly part of the participation in.
Speaker 1: That touting the ratings.
Speaker 3: I think it's when Tiger brought brought Lindsay Vaughn to be his caddy, kind of soft launch their relationship at the Part three and it became like a TV event. Oh my gosh, like Tiger and Lindsay are dating. This is like everyone wants to tune in. Because for years he had rejected the SI the silliness of the Part three. He did He's like, this is dumb. If I'm like competing with the tournament, I'm not going to play in this hit and giggle where people bring their families around. But he kind of like legitimized what we see today, which is that it's just basically like a family circus, which is fine, but it also, I don't know, it's like it's we're losing a little bit of what the tournament used to be. And this is like truly the dumbest probably analogy that could come up with to sort of illustrate this. But the I feel a little bit bad because I was recommending like the peach ice cream sandwiches and our guide this year, like oh, they're so great, and they were so mediocre, and I was like, you know what, this strikes me as like some like hedge fund person was like, you know, we could make these peach ice cream sandwiches way more efficient and for way cheaper if we just like commoditized them.
Speaker 1: There might be an ice cream shortage.
Speaker 3: They're just not as good as they once.
Speaker 1: Were, and ice cream the ice cream. There's not as much ice.
Speaker 3: Cream in it, sure, And I'm sure people be like, oh, the fact I didn't go to the ice cream.
Speaker 1: But like it just.
Speaker 3: It's to me, it's like it's like a larger thing about Like, Okay, these used to be this original, cool thing and now they're just like a thing that you could get at the grocery store. They just taste that way, and it feels to me like a little bit of the charm was lost in that.
Speaker 1: Well, we haven't even merch is a huge expat stupid.
Speaker 3: That's where it's. It's kind of who wants a doggy bowl with Masters things on it? Who wants a you know, like literally anything. The salt shakers, Thechristmas tree ornaments, the football's of baseball, Like there's nothing that you can't imagine that they don't.
Speaker 4: And I almost grabbed the football because.
Speaker 2: I was joking about out baseball outside and we got jealous. I think, you know who's the other one besides the all right, all right, it's our gambling are gambling?
Speaker 4: Okay?
Speaker 1: I look this seemed to be a big narrative debate early in the week. Uh.
Speaker 2: I think like we're in an era of incredible Masters tournaments, Like, let's be real here, Rom Scottie Rory twice Tiger twenty nineteen Scotty twice. Yeah, like it's an incredible run of Masters tournaments.
Speaker 6: I uh.
Speaker 2: I thought, like whatever, the celebrity stuff and the goofiness and the miz and Kevin Hart and all that, Like I can just it's not for me. I don't really watch the part three anyways, Like like I get people defenders being offended by that, but whatever, I think where like the stuff was really out of balances, like the Hall becoming an identity of the tournament that said, like I had, I think it's growing it in a way that maybe is probably not appealing to others. I had a woman like a good friend of ours, my wife's good friend, like very dignified, reserved person, not a merch hall, not like text me this morning, like I saw this hat and I love it, and like never asked me, could you get this for me. It's grow it's going into these different tentacles. But like the notion I tried, it was sold out. I did try because this person is like a normal good person that asked me for it. It's like, holy crap, she wants a hat Like then like this must be going into different bloodstreams and that's not a bad thing. But the merch stuff just for me is where it all seems out of balance. And the celebrity pictures on site and the and the posting where like, I don't know if you should bring your cameras the first three days because now it feels like people are bringing their cameras to take pictures of themselves in this arene not to take pictures of the competition.
Speaker 3: Social team is told to follow the celebrity a bunch of stuff. Yeah, and like that would never have been the case, like ten years ago. The Masters has never felt cheap to me, and for the first time there's like a couple elements upon the edges that are starting to feel kind of cheap.
Speaker 5: This does not matter.
Speaker 6: But in the restaurant, in the dining in the media dining area, they have like the clocks around the world. Yeah, I did notice the hands were not fully lined up. That does not matter, But I don't know attention to detail.
Speaker 2: It's like, look, it's a fine line if they want to grow with women and they want to grow with kids, and like, I don't like blame them for that. The one thing I'll say about all the hooting and hollering and the carpeting, like to lean back on the speed line. I would think, like, nobody is thinking about this more than the Master, trust me, burner Twitter account, trust me like frustrated whatever, seventy five year old dude. Like I would think the Masters is thinking, like considering these outcomes, where are we going over the line, and like following the discourse about it, Like I do feel like they are not going to thirstily go after every inch and maybe there's some sort of recorrection after.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I don't know if we should have cameras the first three days after just what I see is people lining up to take pictures like of themselves, like flying the merch hall thing. The merch was just the one thing that I felt like got really out of balance, the celebrity stuff whatever. Anyways, that's it. That was a big observation, a big picture.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just I mean, I just think it's it's a delicate thing to play with, right. Yeah, we probably go to overboard sometimes being like, oh, it's a sacred place, like it is a golf tournament, but there is something that sort of makes it unique within the world of golf, and it would be a real shame to lose that. I mean, you wrote a great thing about the sort of atmosphere of the first tea. And it's like one of the things that I love about the Masters, right is there is no corporate sort of you know set up there. Like these players are playing for history and they have to weave their way through this collection of you know, rumbled sports writers and women in sun dresses and billionaires in their green jackets and agents sort of hustling to you know, hear the gossip and the scuttle butt, and it's like this great kind of organic thingy. They just form a human tunnel. They don't even have ropes between you and the players. And we were standing there on Saturday, just kind of standing there, and Rory came by and he saw us and he was kind of like the look on his face is like, what are you guys doing here? Like he was sort of funny, you know, I know, I know these guys, and you know, I just think that's kind of part of what makes it special. And if any of that goes away, I just feel like something's lost that you can't really get back.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's that's still there. It's still there, And all of a sudden you're next to Rafa or whoever, and they're just meandering with the people.
Speaker 3: Most of you have the same like rights as like Travis Kelce, which is kind of amazing.
Speaker 1: Like yeah, he was out there Saturday.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I for me, it's just the merch thing.
Speaker 2: I don't know, canceled merch just empty just I don't know. I don't know what you do.
Speaker 1: But it's fine. I think I think, I don't know. I think they could fix the merch thing by just having an online store where everybody buys it. Yeah, And it's like the thing that's crazy to me about the merch is like these people, it's like you're going to the Masters for the one time in your life, and I get you want to get a keepsake. I understand that. I get you want to get keepsakes, but it's like they wait in line for two hours, they shop for an hour, then they got to run the bags back to their car, and it's like half your day's gone.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, someone noted I think it was from Bunker that like the crowd around the honorary starters was sparse, sparser than normal, but yet the merch line was over an hour wait and it's like that's where I think you're getting a little out about, like you are coming to a shopping event with a little bit of golf.
Speaker 1: I don't know, I just think that's.
Speaker 3: I mean, Jack Nicholas. Maybe there's some Jack and Gary fatigue. Yeah, but like Jack's probably not going to hit the ceremonial t shot for more than many more years. Like even he kind of was like, well, you know, I'm getting kind of old. I don't know how many more years I'm going to do this. Yeah, he hit this low hook. You know, he said, I don't play golf more than once a year. And even then, I, you know, I'm in a cart. So it's like he doesn't, you know, he's not a golfer anymore, but this one ritual gets him up going for it. And there's this person who kind of helped make the Masters what it is, and it's kind of like people can't be bothered by it. And I think, man, when the first year I went to the Masters, Arnold Palmer was there and he came out for the ceremonal ty shot. He was really ill. He died, you know, probably four months later, and they were really trying to encourage him to hit it one more shot. Jack was like just take a potter and there was like tears in his eyes. He and Gary were both like crying because they knew it was the last time that Arnie was going to be it and it was such a kind of special thing and everybody around could sort of feel that, and you know, maybe that's a testament to Arnie, but like that is kind of gone. Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of reels that that's what Joe MC. I know it fed into it. Like every time I opened my Instagram is like more reels of people showing the eight hundred things they bought IM.
Speaker 1: Just like is that why we the more? What's being celebrated about this tournament? Now?
Speaker 2: I don't know anyways that got out of balance anything else. I think like, honestly, this is for the end of the show. We didn't talk about fred Ridley's Wednesday thing much. We will talk about that at another time. There's I think there's a tension that's probably gonna that that seems to be very quite clear between the majors, certainly Gusta National Brian Rolapp's new era of leadership at the PGA Tour that that will probably discuss in detail. I don't know if we need to go into it right now, quite frankly, but but that was a big takeaway from this week because it's I think we could.
Speaker 1: Do a whole whole thing on that in scott when we're in Scotland.
Speaker 2: We're off to We're off to Scotland, the three of us. Maybe we'll give it to the boys, the top of the Boys.
Speaker 1: Might Wednesday's show. It might be just solo.
Speaker 4: All right, it was it was gonna be cooler. I would say it like the sixth hole. Then maybe it is currently, But.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we'll be fine.
Speaker 3: You should be fine them to come on and have a little deep I'm wordy.
Speaker 1: If Cam's ever coming back to the Boys, I'm not concerned.
Speaker 4: I'm not I'm not worried about that.
Speaker 2: I mean, Joseph like was Joseph was getting clocked by all the relatives and out there by. But like the camyon like Team Young, they knew Joseph quite well. He's sort of the you know, the whisperer of the Team Young. It seems like it's pretty fun to watch that happen.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 2: I think that does it for our final show from AUGUSTA.
Speaker 3: Thanks for reading our stuff twenty six.
Speaker 2: You know, Kevin obviously has elevated us in a major way. And it was awesome to see you cook. We had you at the Ryder Cup and just in the nascent days of your your your time here.
Speaker 1: First a lot of great stuff from Joseph who's on on top of cam watch Gerard Block.
Speaker 2: That was that's.
Speaker 1: Finish thirty ninth or something.
Speaker 5: But he's said that he's going to talk about it.
Speaker 1: So Ryan was. Ryan's a cool dude. He was great.
Speaker 3: So that's good.
Speaker 1: I mean mad Bykentechut over there from the boy it's fine.
Speaker 3: One one bad day did not diminish like a great Masters for you know, a person who's that experienced it all lot I was. It was fun to read those dispatches.
Speaker 2: Read Kevin on Friday Golf dot com or the Frida Egg dot com.
Speaker 1: Please subscribe to our news subscribe, subscribe to the newsletter. Go buy a new Mercedes if it sits you dot com Yes, thirty thirty.
Speaker 2: Hey, Like, we are very lucky that anyone listens, anyone reads, anyone cares that we're able to do this.
Speaker 1: We have a blast.
Speaker 2: Uh, no matter the tournament, it's just a blast to be able to come to the Masters and cover it and get in the weeds with this. Hopefully our output has served that purpose and served your time.
Speaker 1: Uh, because we don't take it lightly.
Speaker 3: Shout out to Cam for his great photos.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, Cameron heard us. Uh, it'll come as as all have an incredible.
Speaker 3: Hographer for Adam, our editor back home. Adam shoveled a lot of copy.
Speaker 2: He was incredible. He had a lot thrown at him, like we.
Speaker 4: Got braves, gravy boy, graphics boy.
Speaker 2: We got a lot of compliments about her. I'll put Adam is a big part of being able to as on the socials Austin on the socials. We have a great team here and it's not just the people speaking right now. So thank you for listening, thank you for watching reading. We will be back with you. Pete, business Pete. We just got some door dash thank you. We'll submit that to business Pete.
Speaker 3: A great, great meal at Rhineharts. We can just keep going on here. It's thanking all the people.
Speaker 2: Thank you all for listening.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Taco Kat.
Speaker 2: We'll be back. We'll be back Wednesday. Uh in some former fashion maybe it'll be boys, maybe else from Scotland. Thanks again for listening all week.
Speaker 1: Talk to you soon.
Speaker 5: Post consider the Postston story, instant Biston past