Speaker 1: What's up, guys, Just a reminder to you this upcoming Sunday, we've got our next Mariner's watch party and our next live event. We love to see you guys there. It'll be this Sunday, July fifth, at two pm over at Occidental Hall, right outside the ballpark on Occidental Avenue. We're looking forward to it a ton. It's going to be with our friends at Corona, our friends at the Hall. We're going to be watching the game with you guys as the Mariners take on the Blue Jays during the finale, and then after the game, we'll be upstairs taping a live podcast. So if you guys want to come hang out and watch the live taping of the episode, well come on by the hall and do that. So if you're at the game on Sunday and you want to come hang out afterwards, stop buy. If you want to come watch the game with us. During the game, yeah, come hang out with us. We'll be sitting and talking ball with you guys the whole time and we're really really looking forward to doing so again. That's this Sunday, two pm, July fifth, over at Occidental Hall with our friends at the Hall and our friends at Corona. Can't wait to see you guys there.
Speaker 2: Open to episode number four twenty three of the Marine Layer Podcast. We'll look at some potential Mariners trade target switch the deadline a month away.
Speaker 1: A reminder to you guys before we start this episode, make sure to do us a favor and download these episodes. If you're listening and go rate and review. Just leave a five star review if you're on Apple or Spotify, any of the audio platforms. If you're on YouTube, make sure go hit subscribe. You have the big red buttons just right in front of you. Then you get notified whenever we're posting new content. You can find us on our website marine layerpod dot com. Episodes are all there, podcast merches there, patreons there. That's at marine layerpod dot com. Then find us on social media. We're everywhere and posting content every single day at Marine Layer Pod.
Speaker 2: Let's get it rolling and you welcome you to this episode of the Marine Layer Podcast, part of the Just Baseball podcast network, recording here on Tuesday night, June thirtieth, and Lyle, all I have to say is what a week for the Seattle Mariners. And it had nothing to do with the fact they won the last two games.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say, do you mean that in a good way or another way?
Speaker 2: All of the above. I mean, we can't argue the fact they won two games. They did win two games against an embarrassingly bad Angels team who just fired their GM. Finally, I don't know how perriman as still had a job enduring the season, but you know, apparently the expectations were higher than fourth place in the AL West so or last place. I think they're in last place, so I.
Speaker 1: Mean, it couldn't have been their fans that wanted him fired, right, fans aren't a priority to the Angels.
Speaker 2: But no, winning baseball games is not a priority to the Angels. Oh yeah, the fans are a priority to the Angels. That's why they want to keep all their players instead of trying to trade them to get prospects to win more games.
Speaker 1: Oh right, that's what it is. Already claims he pulled all his fans and that winning baseball games was like sixth on the priority list.
Speaker 2: In twenty twenty three, Ardy Moreno understood that the Angels fan base wanted to watch Sho hee O Tani for two more months instead of trading for franchise altering pieces.
Speaker 1: I mean, they could have gotten Junior Camonaro and they were like no.
Speaker 2: And the great thing about Angels fans is that they can drive an hour north and watch Show Hay still they can.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's amazing. Oh boy, oh the Angels. Where do we want to start? Because yes, they won two games, Thank god, they beat the Angels in the first two games. Now they have this weird off day here on Wednesday because of the World Cup, and the series will finish on Thursday. But I guess to their credit, they did get to Jose Soriano as the start ended up getting later and later into the ballgame, and Jose Soriano at least had a good start to the season. Well, they had a phenomenal start to the season. Then he's tailed off a bit as of late. But they got to a guy who's had some good success this year. That's the good part of it.
Speaker 2: And most importantly, I mean most importantly, we saw offense. That's what we saw, right. The offense had been shit for too long, and the Mariners came back home and they had a solid offensive night with a lot of power. On Monday night, Cole Young hit two tanks. Dude, we keep saying it. I mean, Cole Young's power is super underrated for the stature he is. Him leaning into a baseball, it doesn't go as far. It goes further than you would think. When that second home run he crushed to have like the no doubt reaction from Aaron Goldsmith right away, almost like almost like the shock where it's like, holy shit, this dude crushed that ball.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's funny you watch him hit baseballs like that, and you watch him take BP and some of the baseballs he sends out of the art in batting practice, and you'd say this guy could hit twenty five home runs as a second basement, But he doesn't really seem like in game he's wired to do that. It's just when he runs into him, he can hit him a long way.
Speaker 2: He's not gonna be a guy who's gonna be at the plate and crush Baseball's like Katel Marte consistently as a second baseman. But you're right, Yeah, when he puts a barrel on the ball and elevates it, then you're gonna see it go really far. And then I think another really impressive thing from Monday Night was watching that swing Dom can Zone put on a fastball against a lefty, because we've been asking, all right, who's gonna hit lefties, who's gonna hit lefties? And Dom while he's hit lefties, we've highlighted how it's not like a perfect offensive profile against lefties this season. But this man got a center cut fastball and absolutely shit on it and crushed it over the fence in center field. So I you know, I did love to see that. And then we saw kind of the opposite here on Tuesday night with the Mariners just hit a bunch of singles. People were asking for small ball, Lyle. They got their small ball on Tuesday. They had a nine batter inning followed up by an eight batter inning, back to back innings, So I mean, you'll take that, and that put the game out of reach.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was death by a thousand paper cuts on Tuesday, but you know what, it was offense. It was strung together offense, and it was a pair win. So thank goodness. I think it's time for Canzone to start playing every day at least for now.
Speaker 2: So he's your everyday d from now on.
Speaker 1: Especially with Rob Refsnider now on the IL. Just play them every day.
Speaker 2: Let me ask you this because we're gonna highlight lots of trade targets and shocker, a lot of these trade targets. Would DH against a left handed pitcher? Does that weigh you? Does that like make you sway a little bit from the guys we are going to talk about.
Speaker 1: No, because on those days, if you want said player you're gonna trade for. In the lineup, you have Randy and left Obviously Rayley would be on the bench, and then one of can Zone slash slash acquired player would be in right field and the other with DH. It can work, It.
Speaker 2: Could, You're right, it could work. But if dom Kin Zone is that good against lefties, they're gonna have to find a way to get him in the lineup every day. And maybe it's in Victor Roebliss's spot that I mean, they like playing Victor Robliss because of the defense, but the bat has been atrocious.
Speaker 1: That's and that's what I'm getting at. If you go trade for one of the guys we're gonna highlight in today's episode one of these established right handed bats, then yeah, Roeblaze is gonna be the one that loses playing time. Can Zone's hitting two well against lefties, and the guys you'd be trading for are established big leaguers who crush lefties.
Speaker 2: So yes, and you know what, You've already sacrificed the defense on this team, so you might as well just go all the way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly. If you need Roblaze late for defense, you can still put them in the game late. So there's a way to make it work. I would always have a well. I would also say, before we get to all the trade targets, there are a couple other stories to talk about, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there were some. It was a very entertaining week at the ballpark, both on the field and off the field, with some things that meritors fans had very very strong reactions to. Both happened on Monday. Let's start. Let's start with Justin Hollander on Monday. So he did mention a couple injuries before we'll talk about like the main subject of this of this this discussion. So Dom is dealing with a hamstring like I'm given that he's dhing. I think will mostly be fine. The Rayleigh injury is kind of unfortunate. I wonder if that's been a mostly this month thing. Given he's been pretty bad this month, and it would make sense if he's trying to play through an injury like he did last year, that he would really struggle. And the people finally get what they want with Rob resthsnunder. There's a move for Rob Refsnyder, but he goes on the injured list. I'm gonna be out, like I really do like the ref Snyder move to the injured list, and it's before someone skews it and says, TJ, you're happy Rob refs Snyder's hurt. No, I'm not happy that he's hurt. But what this allows Rob Refsnyder to do. If the priority for the Mariners was to not put him, was to not cut him, they didn't want to cut him. They're like, we need to extract something out of this, and we think he can still hit well. I think it's great that he gets to, you know, rest a little bit and then he could get a full twenty eight days thirty days down in Triple A to get at bats every single day against both righty's and lefties before coming back and giving it one last shot.
Speaker 1: Yeah. In other words, for those that don't want to see any more Rob Refsnider, in the lineup, which I know is a lot of Mariners fans. At this point, I think you've got a good six to eight weeks before you have to see him again, because I would guess he is going to be resting until at least the All Star break. I think they said there's a chance he goes down to Arizona for a little bit and just rests and gets to recover and gets to rehab a little bit, and then if he's going to take a full month long rehab assignment, let's just say he rests until the All Star break and then gets back into action again. I mean that could be the middle of August he's back. If he takes a month off a rest and then takes a month of a rehab assignment, well then you don't see him till September. So I think for now there's not gonna be a whole lot of Rob Refsnyder. He is going to try and get back on track. And if he does, and if he's healthy, maybe, and it's a very strong emphasis on the maybe at the end of the year he provides them just something at some point.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the redemption story.
Speaker 1: Does this just feel like a guy that if they make the playoffs. For the season he's had and now he's gonna miss time with the injury. Does this not feel like the guy that somehow comes up clutching a playoff game at some point?
Speaker 2: I'd love that. I mean, if you want to look at it from the pitcher perspective, Bryce Miller sucked for most of last year and he was also hurt and then came back to the postseasons. Was him and Kirby are their two most reliable pitchers in the playoffs?
Speaker 1: I mean, I think about Adam Fraser, right, I mean, he was he was really bad when he was in Seattle in twenty two, but he had the biggest hit of the season.
Speaker 2: M hm, it's possible. I want you to think about it this way. If you're listening to this, this is essentially you optioning Rob Refschneider to the minors without and getting around the fact he doesn't actually have an option right to send him down, right, So it kind of works out. What Rob Refsnender probably needs right now is two healthy knees and maybe sixty played appearances. Again, it's triple A pitching in the PCL, right, I think that would do? I think I would do wonders for him all.
Speaker 1: Are we ready to get to the other parts of the quotes of the week.
Speaker 2: Well, Justin Hollander, besides the injuries, also had a statement he gave before the injuries. There is a clip out there if you want to go find it and watch the whole thing. Low and I are not going to rehash it word for word, but Justin Hollander was expressing some frustration for the discourse about the Mariner's injuries and people attacking the Mariners trainers online and blaming the training staff and saying they should be fired. So while Justin Hollander has every right to defend his training staff and Lolo and I have never once have blamed the training staff for anything because the training staff can never prevent injuries. It's just that's not how injuries work. You can't just snap your fingers and prevent injuries. Otherwise every team would be one hundred percent healthy. But Justin Hollander was calling out in his words the lunatic fringe on on Twitter is pretty much what he said, and it didn't sit very well with those accounts who found the video and then started biring off tweets.
Speaker 1: So let me just say two things. I'm totally with you. I do not at all blame the training staff or any injuries that have happened. I actually believe it's a very good training staff, and Hollander went into detail about that. I think that part's all true. And I think these players do really appreciate the job that they do and the work that they put in. I don't I don't doubt any of that. Where this loses me is essentially publicly taking time and carving out time to essentially try to fight back with Twitter trolls that don't use a face on their ounce. That's where you're losing me. Like, now, it'd be one thing if it was actually people in the Mariner's media doing this. That's different. If it was some of the Beat reporters or the TV reporters, which it's not, and this is not the situation that is at hand because it's not those people doing that, that'd be a little different.
Speaker 2: Or really any public facing figure with like like a real person online.
Speaker 1: Right again, if it was anybody in the media, that's different. These Twitter trolls that have five to six hundred followers and aren't using faces like that, that's what you're spending your time publicly getting mad at feels like a bit of a waste of energy to me. I understand you probably feel the need to defend these guys if they're getting called out online, but you can't reason with Twitter trolls. Man. That's why they're Twitter trolls. They're never gonna have to face the music. So when you tell them that you're seeing this stuff, they're only gonna like that only adds fuel to the fire. And it added fuel to the fire on Monday because all these accounts saw it and just ran with it, and they were like, oh my god, he's admitting, like the GM of our baseball team's admitting he's online.
Speaker 2: He's online and he's seeing our stuff. So I'm gonna start to tweet more, right right, Think about it like this, it's Mariner's GM goes after Mariner's Twitter trolls.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: Go back to March and say that sentence here on June thirtieth.
Speaker 1: Mariner's GM goes after Twitter trill. I can't even say it with a straight face.
Speaker 2: And we could talk about this from our perspective too, Like in this sense, justin Hollander and us are the same, Like we're in the same spot. There are people who are nasty to us online. But you and I know, and we've always lived by this from our perspective, you cannot you cannot let anybody, any of those people know that you are seeing their stuff, because as soon as you tell them that, they're gonna keep doing it, and they're gonna do it more and perhaps do it worse. So if you never acknowledge that those things exist, then it's essentially them shouting into a void and maybe they'll just stop right.
Speaker 1: Also, again with these faceless accounts, so many of them are essentially high schoolers. They're high schoolers that think it's funny to say whatever they want because they're not gonna face repercussions. That's the thing about a lot of these Twitter trolls, or some of them adults, Yeah, they are a lot of them are immature high school kids or are just like, yeah, I'm just gonna say whatever I want. I don't I don't have to face any repercussions. It's a burner account, so yeah, like sure, we I mean, what you sign up for when you get into content is you know there's gonna be people out there that are just gonna be assholes, and the replies it's it's even if you're the nicest people on planet Earth. It's just what you sign up for no matter what. So you can't I will quite go as far to say you can't ever acknowledge that you see their stuff. I mean, for the most part, you can't. You cannot get into wars with these people all the time. But to to really like, yeah, I will, okay, can I say this?
Speaker 2: I think Justin Hollander could have said every exact thing that he said in that statement except acknowledging who said it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, except if he said But the problem is if he says it at all, the media people will look around and say, well, who's saying this. It's it's not reporters saying it. It's not broadcasters saying it.
Speaker 2: If like, you know, you can just be saying I've been seeing a lot of stuff. That's it doesn't need to he doesn't even need to see the word online.
Speaker 1: That's true. That's true if you had just.
Speaker 2: Been seeing a lot of stuff that I think is very unfair for our training staff, and I'm gonna stick up for them and say they did an amazing job. I think that would be great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's it.
Speaker 2: I just want to talk about how amazing our training staff is and I think I think I I've seen some stuff that has been treating them very unfairly.
Speaker 1: That's fair. Yeah, I think that's right. And I'll give Hollander a little bit of a pass because usually he's actually very very good in the media and he's a good public speaker, and he says the right things and he has a good feel for people for the most part. But I will say this, could you imagine if it was Jerry that did this?
Speaker 2: It'd be ten thousand times worse.
Speaker 1: Because Jerry at this point is such a lightning rod, and so much of it as his own doing, Like he's caused this on himself over the years with some of the things he said. Could you imagine if Jerry came out and started like essentially attacking Twitter trolls like people obviously responded to Hollander and a lot of people had opinions on it. Dude, if it was Jerry, I mean talk about lighting up absolutely like pouring cars, I would.
Speaker 2: Have been a news cycle. It would not have been any of the injuries.
Speaker 1: What's that.
Speaker 2: It would have been the news cycle it wouldn't have been any of the injuries.
Speaker 1: Oh dude, it would have been like pouring kerosene on it if Jerry had done it.
Speaker 2: I like the Hollander thing. Besides the Twitter trolls themselves, it was pretty much like a non story, right right, Like we're we're sitting here talking about it because that's we were standing in that scrum listening to it, and we have and since we could relate to that a little bit, we had some thoughts on this situation. But like the grand scheme of it, it didn't make the times. I don't think it got much airtime on the radio stations. Like the only people running with that were the faceless Twitter trolls.
Speaker 1: Right, and again, we're a little bit in the door of both worlds, Like, sure, we're out at the field, but we're very much like we're not Twitter trolls, but we're very online. We're part of the online community. I don't think there's any question about that in the Mariners verse. So we see both sides of it. So yeah, look, I don't think you can never Like I'm not saying you can't ever acknowledge those accounts exist, but you really can't do it when you're the GM of a baseball team, you and I do not respond to all the Twitter trolls by any means, we don't respond to most of them. If you're in our position. This is what I was trying to say a minute ago. If you're an our position, sure, if like every now and then you acknowledge them and get and like go back and forth with them a bit. That's different when you're a podcaster GM of a team, Like, yeah, I don't really think you can publicly acknowledge that Twitter, that Twitter trolls exist and that you're seeing their stuff. That that's where you just end up fueling the fire and having them just keep going.
Speaker 2: On the record. You can't do it on the record, right, Like off the record, you could say whatever you want.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like, I know it was news to a lot of people. That is certainly not the first time we've heard that Hollander is online. I mean, yeah, and by the way.
Speaker 2: Or that or that this organization right now is very frustrated with their injury situation.
Speaker 1: Right and by the way, Hollander is not the only one. I'll break some news for you people, do I know, as Exac Berner could, I pointed out, Absolutely not. I never know. We're pretty sure Jerry's pretty online too. We're we're pretty sure like he sees things.
Speaker 2: They want to know what's going on.
Speaker 1: Of course, they like they want to see what people say about them. I think a lot of the players that Burner accounts too, so they want to see what people say about the team, whether it's healthy or not. They want to see the narratives sometimes. So yeah, I'm we have heard that again. People in the Mareative front office are online.
Speaker 2: You can say this with a lot of jobs and a lot of a lot of situations. When the bigger of a public figure you are, the less you can say what you want.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: It's just that's just how it is. Right for most people. If you speak one hundred percent what's on your mind, you're not gonna You're not gonna be able to survive in a high level position. There are very, very very few exceptions to that rule.
Speaker 1: Maybe Johnny Junta.
Speaker 2: Well, I was thinking maybe a little higher than Johnny.
Speaker 1: Jokay, which, by the way, a little spoiler for Friday. Johnny had a pretty busy schedule this week. But for Friday's episode, we're not going to do a mail bag Instead, we sat down with Avery, our buddy who's part of the Gate fourteen podcast. He's Johnny's co host, and we just kind of talked through Mariners, Blue Jays and have a fun conversation about last season and a bit about this season ahead of a Blue Jays series. So Johnny was on my mind because we just tape that with Avery here on Tuesday today. But yeah, Johnny doesn't really have much of a filter. However, he is not the owner of a team or the GM of a team. He is a pot No, he is.
Speaker 2: He is a podcaster. But I am shooting above the bar of podcaster.
Speaker 1: Sure that's fair. Yeah, you're right, you can't. You can't really do that, Like, you can't really do that if you're in a high up position with a franchise. It just doesn't work.
Speaker 2: Or pretty much anything. Sure, Yeah, there are some exceptions out there.
Speaker 1: Again, if it had been if it had been Jerry, that would have been all hell breaking lose, if Jerry had been the one to call out Twitter trolls.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this other thing we need to talk about before we have some fantastic trade deadline targets to jump into. It was Dan, Dude, we can't again.
Speaker 1: Dude, we like can't make it an episode without talking about this guy. I don't know. I don't know if it's our own kryptonite or if it's just he just if it's just the fact that he just continues to put himself in the headlines for all the If.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna take a guest lole, if there's one person in that organization who's not online, it's gotta be Dan Wilson.
Speaker 1: Oh, dude, No, I don't think he is at all.
Speaker 2: There's there is absolutely no way because when you have a game as bad as you had on Sunday and then in your in your opening statement to the media on Monday, the words good process regarding Sunday's game come off your tongue, Like again, those are just things that like can't be said.
Speaker 1: Dude. When I heard that on Monday, I was like, Internally, I was like, what, Like, there's there's no way. Those were the words being uttered out of his mouth. Again, nobody is saying we just talked about this on Monday, So I'm not gonna go through the whole thing again. You do not have to throw people under the bus during your media sessions. Somebody's asking you to do that. People are just asking for a little transparency, and I'm not even saying in that situation you have to provide any transparency. If you decide to just move on from the disaster of Sunday, fine, new day, you turn over a new leaf, you're back home. Whatever the fact. You then called back Sunday's game and use the word good process, like no, feel man, no feel.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're the fact. You're under five hundred and you had a game with a really bad look and your offense was bad. It just it's not great, Like I think he was mostly talking about the offense. But again that's just something you can't do, like, you can't, you gotta just we're disappointed with what happened on Sunday, We're ready to turn the page. Yeah, that's it.
Speaker 1: Like again, would we like more transparency about how he operates his bullpen, Yes, because he never explains any of it. But once what's done is done, then fine, like wrap it up and be done with it. Then on Monday you call back the game and say good process, like no, no, it was it was in fact a bad process, a really really bad process.
Speaker 2: So fans online were not very happy. No, and neither were we. No, well, I didn't even hear it the first time. Like, so, Dan's thing when his in his press conferences, as many of you know, he doesn't really say that much and he says, he says, you even if you're standing there listening to every single thing he says, he pretty much says nothing new. So I've gotten in a really bad habit. While when I'm when I'm standing there, I'm I'm the one taking video. I'm not always paying attention to all the words just full transparency. But you you come up to me after and you mentioned that word, and he's like like, oh he said that.
Speaker 1: I was like, I was like, you might want to listen back to what he said in his opening statem. And then you listen back You're like you're like, oh, You're like I was like, no, he said good process about Sunday. I was like, dude, like I did this guy go through media training or like what? No, it doesn't seem like it.
Speaker 2: I mean, if he did, it wasn't it was in the cover, not in the creatively talk about your team.
Speaker 1: Sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean there's people who make a living on pretty much saying nothing like who, Well, I guess or they're public figures, but they just don't say anything. Their job isn't a.
Speaker 1: Talk oh like the Paul Schemes of the world.
Speaker 2: Sure, yeah, and I mean, you know, like Col's good when he's on the when he came on with us, but he's not always the most like like it, not always the most like detailed and insightful person when he gives an interview nowadays.
Speaker 1: Yeah, sometimes he keeps things pretty big sick when he answers questions. Cal can be very, very detailed and very creative, but it's when he chooses to be It's not all the time, You're right, yeah, but that's all.
Speaker 2: Dan Wilson does is just not not really say anything. He's consistent. It just consistently he'll say nothing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like nothing at all. So but then in the midst of saying nothing, the words good process about Sunday's loss come out, and it's like, well.
Speaker 2: Well again, that's why I know he's just not online, Like there's no way.
Speaker 1: Okay, but I can't believe we've got to rehash this Sunday thing again. Even if he's not online, like there was, there was nobody around him, whether it's front office or coaching staff or players or somebody that's.
Speaker 2: Like, hey, maybe it was, but they're not They're not going to be nasty directly to him.
Speaker 1: No, not to him, but don't there's nobody that said, hey, let's not do that again.
Speaker 2: Apparently not.
Speaker 1: I'm not. No, of course, nobody's gonna like getting a shouting match with him after the game, But nobody around him is like, hey, like the way Sunday was operated, it just can't ever happen again.
Speaker 2: Oh well, I'm sure there's someone in the organization that eventually said that to him, if they but.
Speaker 1: I would assume it happened in the twenty four hours since the conclusion of Sunday's game. And if that's the case, then how does he come out on Monday and talk about a good process.
Speaker 2: I don't I don't know, I don't know.
Speaker 1: It's it's nuts.
Speaker 2: Asking Dan Wilson to explain most things. Is it's a lost cause. Yeah, so you're asking the question. But like the rest of us, we're still we're still out here searching for answers.
Speaker 1: Are we again? We're about to get to this trade deadline stuff. I'm doing this a little bit on the fly here.
Speaker 2: Uh oh, Are.
Speaker 1: We giving this nailor thing any attention? Are we just ignoring it because it got a lot of attention?
Speaker 2: Man, I mean, if what's alleged is true, then yeah, that's a really bad look for Josh Naylor. I don't know there is there is, Like we're right now, we have to base off like an Instagram comment, which is what? Which is an.
Speaker 1: Instagram comment from the alleged person. So like at the end of but you're right.
Speaker 2: But at the end of the day, it is just like an Instagram comment. Yeah, I'm not even saying he's lying, but like it's an Instagram comment from an incident that happened ten years ago.
Speaker 1: It is, but it's a little bit of a psychotic supposed incident. Oh that's all I'll say.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is like like I don't know what's true, Like I don't I know Josh Nail is a bit of an oddball that I can definitely say. And we know Josh Naylor can be pretty intense at time. I don't know how he was as an eighteen year old high schooler. I don't know this. This just feels like water. I just don't really want to tread into if that's if that's all true, then that's really shitty from Josh Naylor.
Speaker 1: Sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I feel like that's I feel like that's a pretty blanket statement that can be said confidently by both of us.
Speaker 1: That's fair. And Davis did just go on foul territory and say, I mean, this is a guy who literally didn't say a single word to his brother in an entire game that he went up against him when he faced Cleveland. So yeah, like he can be a little bit psychotic. But look, some of you have probably seen the story because it's got millions of views online at this point. If you haven't seen the story, I mean, you can go look it up. It's on we don't have to get into it more, but it's on Twitter, it's on Instagram, Like I'm sure if you search Josh Naylor right now, the story has made its rounds, so you can find it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if there's more that comes out loud, maybe we can spend a little bit more time on it. But if that's all we have to go off of, then yeah, that's probably always I can say, sure, that's fair.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 2: You ready for some trade targets, Yeah for sure. Yeah, all right, But before we get to some trade targets. We got a lot of them. Let's pause here for an ad. Let us tell you guys about Cozy Earth. Cozy Earth's mission is to make home the best part of your life. They send us their bamboo sheet set. They're Everywhere Pant and every Day Polo for us to try, and we were really impressed. The bamboo sheet set lives up to the hype. It's Cozy Earth's mission to make the softest sheets in the world, and I think they've gotten pretty darn close. And I really like the pant and polo as well. For what I look for in everyday clothes, I'm looking for something comfortable but a little stylish as well, and I think both of these check those boxes. Just so you know, Cozy Earth has a lifetime warranty on their clothes, a hassle for a return process, and a one hundred nights sleep trial on their sheets. Summer should feel easy for everyone in the house. Cozy Earth's Bamboo sheet set, Everywhere Pant and every Day Polo are meant to keep you cool, comfortable, and actually relaxed all summer long. Head to cozyearth dot come and use our code marine for an exclusive twenty percent off. That's code Marine maarn for an exclusive twenty percent off. And if you see a post purchase survey mention that you heard about Cozy Earth right here. I'm excited to talk about trade targets, but I have some bad news for you, Lyle. I don't think this trade market is very good. I think the Mariners might struggle to find exactly what they want in this trademarket.
Speaker 1: And I have one reason why why don't you lay it on me?
Speaker 2: I think the best fit on this The reason why is I think the best fit on this market is Wilson Contreras. And Wilson contres checks pretty much every box for the Mariners. He could either play first or DH, which he could slide right into the Refsnyder spot on this roster. He is absolutely mashed this year. He's been one of the most consistent hitters in Major League Baseball. I mean, he sounds like the perfect fit to fix this offense. Again, slefties, There's just one problem with Wilson Contreras, Lyle. He can't stop getting in fights. He can't stop having notifications pop up on my phone that Wilson Contreras said x or Wilson Contreras goes on Instagram and adds a fan and says, come meet me at Fenway if that's your best option on this current trademarket, lile I would say the Mariners are in a bit of trouble.
Speaker 1: Oh, I'd say that's a problem. And by the way, when he says come meet me at Fenway, that is not him reaching out to some fan to say, hey, I'd love to take a picture. That is a fan responding to the fight, calling Wilson Contrera's names, in which Cantreras then responds to the fan the random fan online calling him names and says, come meet me at Fenway like essentially square up in person?
Speaker 2: What is And Wilson Contrarest was not tagged in this comment. He was scrolling in the comments, found it and decided to respond to it.
Speaker 1: What is this guy's deal? By the way, is this Does this guy just want to be a DUBE fighter or a UFC fighter in disguise because he seems to want to go looking for fights every chance he gets.
Speaker 2: He just has drama follow him every single place he goes. It is every single time we're joking leaving the ballpark today, all right, who do we need to put on this list? And then I pull out my phone and I have a notification that says Wilson Contreras tweets at a fan. I'm like, oh, this should be good. I see that, and I'm like, no, he did not say that, not.
Speaker 1: To mention the actual fight that ensued where he chucked his helmet at somebody at k Cavali. He he really is on paper a perfect fit, and sadly and sadly, it's not happening.
Speaker 2: Didn't he didn't. Wasn't he instigating with the Yankees too?
Speaker 1: So make it the Yankees, make it, the Brewers, make it the Nationals. I mean, who's left at this point for this guy.
Speaker 2: Wasn't it the Cardinals too?
Speaker 1: He's gotten enough fight with his own former team.
Speaker 2: I don't know it was. I think it was someone else. There was definitely another team. It's happened on a biweekly basis pretty much at this point.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So, as much as we loved the idea earlier this year to trade for Wilson Contreras, like, he's not quite in the Chapman bucket in terms of past I guess past history, but not in that same bucket. Of domestic violence, but I mean the headache on the field. This team dealt with Jesse Winker, who was not Wilson Contreras at all, but was somewhat of a difficult personality. I mean, take a Jesse Winker level personality and then put it where he's stirring up the pot on the field.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like Jesse Winker got in one fight one time, Wilson Contreras does it basically twice a month.
Speaker 2: Uh yeah, So I don't think that one's happening for the Mariners. I think that one might be a bit of a tough pill to swallow, and he's owed a lot of money, which is a problem for the next year and a half. Let's talk about who the Mariners might actually trade for, and I want to start off with the candidate that I really really like for them. Saya Suzuki could be an option. Lyle, The Cubs have been fine this season, they're right now in playoff contention, but Saya Suzuki is a pending free agent. He mashes left handed pitching, and the Cubs have a pretty dire need in their starting rotation that I don't know a team like the Mariners with too many starting pitchers could potentially help them out.
Speaker 1: With, So this is interesting. Saya is a very fascinating player for the Mariners because he's ops and eight hundred this year, he's been twenty two percent above league average with his one twenty two WRC plus, and he's really crushed left handed pitching both this season and his career. He definitely is a guy that makes sense. Is he truly available though? I mean, the Cubs are currently ten games over five hundred and they're in a wild card spot. A couple of weeks ago they were in a much worse spot. They were in a bit of a skid. Now all of a sudden, they've picked it back up again.
Speaker 2: The Cub's issue is they have four starting pitchers on the injured list. At some point they're gonna need guys to start games, and they'll probably go into this deadline trying to upgrade, trying to upgrade their starting rotation. And it's not besides a contending team with a glaring weakness to try and go aggressively fix that. Do you remember, Lyle In twenty fourteen, the A's and Billy Beam traded Yoenna Cesspitis off their roster in an attempt to get starting pitching. The A's needed starting pitching, so they shipped Cesspatis to Boston for John Lester. They deemed that was more worthwhile to them winning that season. The Cubs could be in a very similar situation here.
Speaker 1: Here's where you run into problems. I actually think that's all well put. But I'll say two things. Saya Suzuki's been the second best hitter on the Cubs this year besides PCA. He's been second best hitter on a team that is currently in the first wildcard spot, tied with the Phillies. And which pitcher would the Mariners be trading to go get say A Suzuki. I thought originally a perfect match would be okay, the Mariners could trade Luis Castillo and get back say A Suzuki. And if you do that, it is a starter that you can afford to trade. You would be getting back a really, really effective right handed bat who could really lengthen the lineup and really provide pop in the middle of the order. But there's two factors to that. The money is significantly different. Louis Castillo's owned much more money than say A Suzuki. Because Louis has the extra year on his deal, and would the Cubs trade say As Suzuki for Luis Castillo. I'm not sure.
Speaker 2: So would you have to be a little bit more aggressive to get the Cubs to listen? Would you have to potentially trade someone else?
Speaker 1: And that's where you run into more issues, right, I feel like the only guy the Mariners would be come to trading for Saya Suzuki would be Luis Castillo. Would they trade George Kirby in two and a half years of his team control for half a year of Sayas Suzuki.
Speaker 2: I think not. I don't think they would trade Kate Anderson or Ryan Sloan say as Azuki. I think that would be a stretch. I mean, even though he is the least tenured in the rotation. I don't even think the Mariners would trade Emerson Hancock for two months of Sayas Azuki on pape. Mariners love a good paper trade. They look at that trade on paper and they say they're giving up. I think three years of Emerson Hancock three years in the remaining two months of this year for two months of Sayas Azuki and Emerson Hancock has been starting every fifth or sixth day for the Mariners this year that has been has been very solid, very good at the start, and I as good recently. But you know, it's still something the Mariners could try and pitch to the Cubs, but I don't I don't know if they'd want to do it. It's a bummer because I'd say as Azuki crushed his lefties, he dominates left handed pitching. He has been so so, so good, and the Mariners could put him right into the Rob Refsneider's role of occasionally you play out field, but you're gonna DH for the most part with dom can zone.
Speaker 1: Well and say it wouldn't exactly be in ref Snyder's role because he'd be playing every day.
Speaker 2: So this is where you take opportunities away from Victor Robliss.
Speaker 1: Yeah, or whoever. Well, because but I might take reps eight. You'd probably have to take him away from Rayleigh, right because when a righty's on the mount and say it would still.
Speaker 2: Play, Yes, he would, Yeah, I think so. And there's a chance that the Mariners might throw a Luke ray another surplus on their roster to the Cubs for Saya Suzuki. How are the Cubs versus right handed pitchers this year.
Speaker 1: You can look it up on the fly. I would just say the money factor into this if you were going to try and make a trade that involved Luis Castillo and Saya Suzuki, the money factor in the money factor of this does play a real role because it's not equal length on the contracts. Luis Castillo has a year and a half left on his deal where he's getting twenty four million bucks a year, and there's the vesting option for twenty twenty eight. Now, what a vesting option means for anybody not familiar is the player and the team both have to agree to pick up the deal on the contract for that to go into effect. If one side says no, we're not interested for that season, it gets voided and the player goes to free agency.
Speaker 2: No, I think you have that mixed up. That's a mutual option. Vesting option is if I believe Louis Castio needs to throw one hundred and eighty innings next year, you're right, and then and then the option vests.
Speaker 1: You're right. It's it's on the threshold of him throwing one hundred eighty innings. Sorry, you're right. Mutual option is where both sides have to agree.
Speaker 2: Which the Cubs within look at that and see, Okay, if we're gonna put Louis Castillo in a rotation full time, we're actually taking on two years of his money. Here, we'll be two and a half, you'd be two and a half years. And if Louis Castillo was on the upswing, then the Cubs might be more enticed by that. But I don't think Louis Castillo is. That's just the issue.
Speaker 1: This feels like a tough one to pull off. If you're gonna try and trade a starting pitcher for Saye Suzuki, you might have to try to do And honestly, this is why, for as good of a fit as Sayo would be, I don't know exactly how they do it, because the Cubs again are ten games over five hundred and they're in a playoff spot. I think the only way they trade Saya is for big league talent. And I understand they're twenty fifth in baseball right now and starter's era, they have a real problem in their rotation. But I don't know if they look at Louis Castillo as the fix, and I don't know if they're willing to give up their second best hitter for Luis Castillo.
Speaker 2: So if you're gonna make this happen, you need to dangle one of your other starters to get the Cubs to listen.
Speaker 1: And I just don't think the Mariners do that for half a year of Saya Suzuki.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't think. I don't think Saya Suzuki is a good enough baseball player for two months, Like there's there's one guy on this market, I think they're dangling one of their other starting pitchers for two months of they'd.
Speaker 1: Be dangling one of their other starting pitchers for another starting pitcher.
Speaker 2: Right and and his name is Trek Scooble, And like they're left handed hitting outfielders right now. I mean pca is, according to Baseball Reference, already had a five win season as ops is nearing nine hundred. Man, he's really turned it around. Good for him. And then the other one would be Ian Happ, who's also having a really good offensive season. Man, that's a bummer. Their three best hitters are all left handed. That's gonna that's gonna be a tough Like, hey, here's Luke Rayley in case you need him. Like they're like, eh, we're good.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, I wouldn't say as a good player, I don't think it's gonna match up. Unfortunately, I hope to be wrong. I don't really see how this matches up.
Speaker 2: How about a different cent team this time in the American League. Royce Lewis has had a really up and down season for the Twins this year. He's not had the best career resume, but he's only twenty seven years old. He's a former top prospect, number one overall pick, and a lot of people think that he could use a restart somewhere else. Could that research be in Seattle?
Speaker 1: There is an avenue for it. Man. So since Royce Lewis has come back from the minor league, because for those who haven't followed that closely, he was off to a really bad start this year. The Twins actually optioned him down to the minor leagues. He was crushing it down in Triple A, came back up and now in the month of June. I mean you look at Royce Lewis man and he has just been tearing it up. I mean, he's got a well against lefties for the month of June. Small sample, but it's like a near thirteen hundred ops. The month of June, he's ops at over eight hundred. Royce Lewis has really turned stuff around this year, and he's got two and a half years control.
Speaker 2: One twenty nine WRC plus. Since he's been back up, it's been pretty good. It was much better than it was at the beginning of the season. Just look at it in context. He is an eighty six WRC plus for a season. Yeah, it was really really tough going for him before he came back up.
Speaker 1: You want the more basic numbers for anybody out there. In the month of June, he's hitting two seventy seven, he's got five homers, and his ops is eight forty. He seems to have really had something spark since coming back from the minor leagues. But I think there's still people that believe between the the Twins being a selling ball club and Royce Lewis potentially needing a change of scenery that he could still get traded. And what's Royce Lewis's main position, It's third base.
Speaker 2: Here's where I stand on Royce Lewis. If they're going to trade for him, the idea can't be he's going to be the guy to mash lefties because He's not been that in his career at all. He's been slightly above average as a hitter against lefties in his career. It's a one owaight WRC plus Key's maybe just like an average hitter against lefties. And if the Mariners are only going out this trade deadline and trying to find a fix to their lefty weakness, like royce Lewis is not the answer. If they really believe in the upside of Royce Lewis and they think he could be a solid major league baseball player in the next couple of years, that he has control after this one, and that he could be a guy on their infield for the next couple of seasons and play third base well, Brendan Donovan plays some outfield, and you shuffle around your outfield in some other way to make everything work, then I'd be a little bit more open to that. I wonder what his price is, though I.
Speaker 1: Don't feel like it's gonna be crazy. I don't know how his trade value could be all that high for where he stands right now. And this feels like a very Mariner's target because outside of last year, when you see the Mariners operate at the trade deadline, they usually like to go and get guys that have club control. I'm not saying they won't trade for another rental, and I'm not saying they shouldn't trade for another rental. They should, but it doesn't mean you only have to do one or the other. We'll talk about Taylor Ward here in a minute. But if you were to have a deadline where you go trade for Taylor Ward because you need a right handed bat for this season, and then you're willing to take a bit of a long term experiment on Royce Lewis, yeah, I'd be pretty open to that. I'd be pretty interested in that because Royce Lewis is twenty seven years old and he's still got talent and he still got upside. JP Crawford's getting close to thirty two years old. He has not played a whole lot of third base in his career. You don't know what he's gonna cost in free agency, and the Mariners may not be committed to really having him play third base long term. Either. You get two and a half years of control of Royce Lewis, you have a shot to just have that be your third baseman when you need to find a fixture long term at third base for the next couple of years. If it doesn't work out and he's not an everyday third baseman, then Rory Lewis could just be a bench bat, and I don't think you'd have to trade that much to get him anyway. I actually think there is a very very low risk, high reward plan here to trading for Royce Lewis, and if you do it and it doesn't work out, you can just have him be on the bench, and if it does, you may have found your third basement until Felony and Telleston's ready.
Speaker 2: There's a positive and negative way to look at this. The negative way I look at this is that Royce Lewis had a really good seventy game stint to start in his career cuss across twenty twenty two and twenty twenty three. But in the two hundred and forty games he has played since the twenty twenty four season started, he's been eight percent below league average as a hitter, which if you're pitching that to me as your future option for a third base, I'm out. So that's just not good enough. However, I'm glad you mentioned JP Crawford it's kind of curious. Royce and JP have a bit of a similar history. I mean, Royce lewis former number one overall pick, former top prospect, and he at this age he debuted a little bit earlier than JP. But as of yet, he has not broken out. JP Crawford didn't break out in his first really full season as a Mariner until he's twenty six, and Royce Lewis this season is twenty seven. Next year's when you're hoping you're really going to see something from Royce Lewis. If you trade for him, he'd be twenty eight years old. I mean, it's not impossible. JP Crawford's best season of his careers when he was twenty eight years old. So these things happen. Development is never linear.
Speaker 1: Right And again, if you don't sign JP Crawford back this offseason, if you deem he's not worth the money, or you don't like where he's at age wise, or you just want to turn over a new leaf, it's an option with Royce Lewis. I'm not saying it has to be the option, but it's an option again, if you trade for him and it doesn't cost that much. If it goes the way you want it to, he could be your third baseman. And if it doesn't, then he's a bench bat. I think it's actually got a chance to had some roll one way or another. To have a right handed bat on the bench at the very least would be helpful for the next couple of years.
Speaker 2: I agree. All right, before we get to these next few options, slow, let's pause here for an ad.
Speaker 1: Let's compare two players. They're making similar contracts, but you have to pick one guy to be in your lineup. Player one hit three hundred. He had an eight to forty ops and a one forty one WRC plus, forty one percent better than the league average. Player two hit one eighty five. He had a five to sixty three ops and a sixty three WRC plus. So who would you pick? The clear answers, Player A right, because player A is twenty twenty five dominant canzone and player B is twenty twenty two. Abraham Toro, Well, you can apply that same logic to our friends over at Davis Law Group, who offered better service with even better results. Most PI firms charge very similar fees, so why not make it simple and just hire the best Davis Law Group is your premium option for accident firms. They have an in house investigation team, they treat every case like it's going to trial, and they have over seven hundred five star reviews on Google. Davis Lawgroup wants you to know your rights in the case of an accident. That's why Chris Davis, the founder of Davis Law Group, wrote a series of Washington accident books. He turned common questions into easy to understand books to help people navigate the process, and they've given away over one hundred thousand books across the state of Washington. They want you to be informed. Davis Law Group only takes on cases where they truly believe they can help, and you don't pay unless you get a result. If you've been injured and you want to better understand your options, you can request a free, no obligation case evaluation with their team. Just visit dlgcattle dot com slash baseball to learn more. That's Dlgseattle dot com slash baseball.
Speaker 2: Next up is Taylor Ward and Taylor Ward in twenty twenty six is much different than the Taylor Ward we've seen in the past years. I still think this year's version of Taylor Ward could help the Mariners, and I do want to trade for him, but he's a different baseball player this year.
Speaker 1: What do you mean by that?
Speaker 2: It's July first and he has five home runs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that part's interesting. He's not leaving the yard as much, but he is crushing lefties. He's still got an as. He's still got an eight eighty three OPS against left handed pitching this year and an eight thirty two career OPS against lefties. I actually think this is the most seamless fit of the guys on this list.
Speaker 2: I think so too, But he's just he's hitting like JP Crawford is what he is. I love the version of Taylor Ward that we saw last year. He hit thirty six home runs, and that's kind of the bread and butter of where the Mariners are offensively. They're at their best when they crush home runs. Like I think a three to eighty on base percentage version of Taylor Ward has a ton of value to this lineup. And he's gonna roll with this kind of with this kind of slash line and you trade for him, I want him leading off. I think he's the perfect lead off hitter in this approach. I wonder how much. He's like, if he's actually changed his approach a ton, or if there's something like nagging him this year and he's just had to turn to walking more, it doesn't make much. He had thirty six home runs last year. He's on pace hit less than ten.
Speaker 1: That is crazy. I don't know where the power surge has gone with him. And it can't just all be the alleyways in Baltimore. It's not.
Speaker 2: They move those back in.
Speaker 1: Right, So look, productions production offensively. You know what, you haven't gotten production out of your right handed bats this year when you're facing left handed pitching Rob Rep Schneider. I mean, we don't need to go fifteen rounds with that again, but everybody knows where Rep Snyder's been. You get a guy into this lineup who's opsing close to nine hundred this year against lefties. That's only two months. Because he's only going to be on the team for a couple months before he hits free agency. He's a rental. I don't see any issues with it.
Speaker 2: And people have said he's a really good trade option for the Mariners for years, but this is the first deadline they actually have a chance of try. Because the Mariners never trade with the Angels. Jerry Depoto has made a trade with twenty eight other teams as Mariners general manager. He is never once traded with the Angels. But since the Angels traded him to Baltimore, now he's available.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, we mentioned it on other podcasts, But there's bad blood between Jerry and the Angels. It's just yeah, they don't get along him and Ardy.
Speaker 2: Uh, definitely, definitely not what shockne. He used to be a plus defender. Not this year, but he used to be. I don't think they're trading for him to play outfield defense. I just know the Mariner's corner outfield defense has been atrocious this year's and any kind of boost they can get out there would be great. Just seems like that might not come from from Taylor Warth this year. Oh and by the way, given the Mariners are one of the slowest teams in Major League Baseball, he is a first percentile runner, so he fits right in.
Speaker 1: Let's just say, you talk about a seamless fit. This guy's a seamless fit to this ball club.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I think he is.
Speaker 1: I think in all seriousness, he makes the most sense of anybody on the list. He hits lefties, He's only gonna be the price of a rental because he's only got two months on his deal by the time the team would trade for him. He plays outfield, he lengthens your lineup as a right handed bat. He's making twelve million bucks this year, So by the time the trade deadline rolls around for two months, you would think it's about four million dollars they'd have to take on. It's not that much. And the Orioles are currently sitting at thirty nine and forty eight is we're sitting here recording this. They've lost their last four games in a row, they have not played good baseballs of late, and unless something drastically changes for that team in the month of July, feels like they're going to be selling and Taylor Ward's gonna be dangled out there. So I would circle this name pretty bold if I was a Mariners fan. About guys you should be looking for at the deadline? Taylor Ward, Yeah.
Speaker 2: I'm with you. Next up is a very intriguing option. It's Ryan Jeffers, catcher for the Minnesota Twins. Imagine saying, after last year happened, the Mariner a Mariner's trade deadline target in twenty twenty six would be a catcher. But here we are.
Speaker 1: It is wild to say. Let's also be very clear, they're not trading for Ryan Jeffers to catch. If they trade for Ryan Jeffers, it's essentially for him to be a DH.
Speaker 2: And why would they trade for him, because this dude absolutely mashes. He's got an even strikeout to walk rate this year, He's got a one to sixty four WRC plus, and he again obliterates lefties. He has a WRC plus of one hundred and forty against lefties for his career. There is one issue though, right now he's hurt, and I wonder if, even if he comes back, would you get this version of Ryan Jeffers if he traded for him.
Speaker 1: It is a real question because the injury he's currently dealing with is a fractured hamdma bone in his left wrist. I mean, that's a pretty big component of swinging a bat. You need your wrist, you need your hands, and I would be very curious to see what Jeffers looks like once he gets back off the IL. I was looking, by the way, do they have a timeline on his return, I couldn't find anything definitive.
Speaker 2: I mean, he's hitting in the cage. Now, I'm gonna guess he goes on a rehab assignment in a couple of weeks.
Speaker 1: Man, that is pushing it close to the deadline. You are not gonna get a good look then at post injury Ryan Jeffers in a large sample before the trade deadline, and there's a chance you're trading for damage goods.
Speaker 2: I feel like if he's not back by the end of the All Star break, which is crazy given when I just said where he's at, he's not getting traded. What team would trade for him? Actually there is one now there. Padres would trade for him.
Speaker 1: So would the Yankees.
Speaker 2: There are teams that would go a bit balls to the wall to trade for him. The Mariners would not make this trade.
Speaker 1: I mean Austin Wells is ops and about five hundred right now. For the Yankees, they would take on a rental catcher and Jefferson.
Speaker 2: His catching though, has not been very good and historically has not been very good either, so having him not catch is actually not a bad thing for the Mariners and having him just DH This would literally be Rob ref Snyder like we said Ward, maybe not, this would be Rob ref Snyder. Yes, when there's a lefty on the mound he's dhing. That would be his role and maybe he'd be really good at it. Well, if he's got a bang, if he's got a banged up wrist, then I think he'd be I.
Speaker 1: Think he'd be playing every day too. He's actually hitting right he's better than lefties this year. Small sample, but I think he's a guy that would be your everyday DH if you trade for him.
Speaker 2: So then you would have to be okay with dom can zone and right field every day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you'd have to live with it, which, you know what, he's hitting well enough where you just again, the Mariners are already a bad defensive team. You just do it.
Speaker 2: So you're just gonna stack all your best bats in the lineup and forget about the defense.
Speaker 1: Again, it's not like they're playing quality defense already. You might as well try to add offense. So, yes, if he's healthy, but there's now a real question of if he's really gonna be healthy and if he's gonna be damaged. Goods he's you know, age wise, he's pretty like he's up there. Ryan Jeffers he's not young anymore, and between the injury and between being what's now, Oh no, you know what I'm selling it short. I thought he was more in his mid thirties. He's twenty nine. He like, that's not that that's not that old. So anyway, you just have to worry about him being damaged goods because if he proves that his handmate bone when he comes back, is still bugging him and he's not the same hitter, I mean, it's not worth trading for him, even though he probably won't cost that much.
Speaker 2: To close out this episode, we have a couple of relievers to talk about. Let's talk about that we do.
Speaker 1: And can I just say, by the way, while we're sitting here, we just listed out some of the bats that would make sense for the Mariners, say a Suzuki, Taylor Ward, Ryan Jeffers and Royce Lewis this trade market fucking blows, dude, it really does.
Speaker 2: It's not even close to last year. We could have sat here at this time last year and said Gino and Josh Naylor are the perfect fits for this Mariners roster. You don't need to if and and butt it. Here's how the Mariners are going to creatively move their roster around to make this work. It's like, oh no, they just if you trade for them, they'll play every single day the rest of the year.
Speaker 1: Yes, and now with an offense that's already not hitting. As we've continued to say for a couple of weeks, you could find guys to augment this roster. Nobody's fixing it from the outside. Listen to the names we just threw out there. There are not bigger names than this out there in terms of offense. There's just not. It's a bad trade market. So these guys better figure it out internally because I like Taylor Ward, but he ain't fixing this entire team.
Speaker 2: No, definitely not not. We'll just five home runs, that's for sure. Reliever number one is Garrett Whitlock. We've talked about him before. He has had an insanely good season, a two six to zero ERA, a fifth under three, a strikeout rate of almost thirty percent in that Boston bullpen. He's going to be a free agent after this season, and the Red Sox are atrocious, so why in the world would they need a good reliever? And guess what, Relievers like this don't cost anything, so.
Speaker 1: Let me amend something. He's actually not a free agent at the end of this year. He could be. There's two club options on his deal.
Speaker 2: Oh so, had that wrong.
Speaker 1: This makes Whitlock's case a little more fascinating. Don't get me wrong. Garrett Whitlock over the last two seasons has pretty quietly turned himself into one of the best relievers in Major League Baseball. I mean both in twenty five and twenty six. He's just been dynamite. Since twenty twenty five, Garrett Whitlock ranks in the top twenty a Major League Baseball among all qualified relievers. In er top twenty. He has been that good, and he lived off the swing and miss. This is a guy that will come in from the right side and just simply misbats. You mentioned the k rate. He doesn't get barreled up. He gets swing and miss. But it gets interesting with the contract because there's two club options on his deal and because of it, is that going to up the price for Garrett Whitlock's value? I think it is because now you're essentially trading for what's not half a year of a guy, it's two and a half years of a guy.
Speaker 2: So this comes into question. Would you trade a real prospect for Garrett Whitlock. It comes from trading prospects that won't hurt your bottom line to one that might.
Speaker 1: Right, this feels like a reliever that's again this good and has this much control because if you want the exact details on the contract, back in twenty twenty two, he signed what was a four year, essentially nineteen million dollar extension with the Red Sox, and after that comes to its conclusion here in twenty twenty six, there are two club options for twenty seven and for twenty eight. So when you're talking about two and a half years of a borderline elite reliever, yeah, you have to start talking about those prospects that everybody knows in the Mariners system. You have to start talking about the name brand guys. No, it's not gonna be Cad and it's not gonna be Sloan. But do you have to talk about Las Montes? Do you have to talk about Luke Stevenson? Do you have to talk about Michael Arroyo? You probably do.
Speaker 2: Would you trade Filming Selston for two and a half years of Garrett Whitlock?
Speaker 1: Oo? Would you?
Speaker 2: Maybe that's it? In the year Big twenty twenty six. Yes, I know.
Speaker 1: I don't want to be a prospect hoarder. It's just that Celstone's hits so well this year. Yeah, yeah, he has he and you don't have a long term solution at third base.
Speaker 2: But we don't even know if he's the long term solution at third base. He's in Everett.
Speaker 1: You don't, but you kind of hope he can be.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you hope. But I also kind of want to win a World's here.
Speaker 1: I do too.
Speaker 2: But if you think Garrett Whitlock really helps you win a World Series, he's also like a perfect Mariner's reliever. He throws sinkers and sliders all the time. It's literally what all the Mariners throw correct. There's a and he's a right hander. He's like your typical Mariners reliever. I just don't know if i'd trade Felnane Celestin for a reliever or not. Given that the Mariners have two blue chip infielders already up at the big league level, I think I'm okay at this point. Trading felnine for a reliever, that's a bummer. I really hope that he succeeds in Boston and maybe it comes back to bite the Mariners. On paper might not look great, but if the Mariners come away at the end of the year with a dynamite bullpen, that they added a couple arms too, and they really helped them out in the playoffs, especially in these long series where these hitters are getting multiple looks at your best relievers and you want to give him as many different ones as possible. Trading for Garrett Whitlock would be a big help.
Speaker 1: And he's only thirty, so it's not like he should fall off a cliff anytime soon either.
Speaker 2: No, and his contract is very affordable. It's eight and ten million dollars the next two years. For those club options, it's peanuts. Mariners don't really pay relievers, but I wouldn't really call that paying a reliever.
Speaker 1: No, especially for a guy that again ranks seventeenth in Major League Baseball over the last two years among qualified relievers in ERA. He has been a top twenty reliever in Baseball the last two years. He's that good.
Speaker 2: What level of prospect would you trade for Garrett Whitlock.
Speaker 1: I think it stops at felnine. And by the way, I know there's people in the comments section right now just torching you with the idea of trading feal Nein for a reliever. I'm not saying you're totally worry. I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm not saying it's it's invalid analysis, because I don't think it is. But I know there's fans that are hearing you say I'd trade fel Nein for a reliever, and they're like, oh, absolutely not.
Speaker 2: Actually, why am I apologizing? Like I shouldn't apologize for wanting to win a world series.
Speaker 1: I'm not saying you should.
Speaker 2: I just love filming. He's twenty years old playing in Everett right now.
Speaker 1: I agree with you. I'm not saying you're crazy. I also just know how our fans and the Marinas fan base thinks. This is a fan base that's a no to trading Laz for Ronald Lacunya, Like, like, no joke, what.
Speaker 2: A great podcast episode that was? That is some of that was some of our best work.
Speaker 1: Not as good as talking about show Haes won for sixty five deal off Reddit, but yeah.
Speaker 2: Okay, maybe that was second best.
Speaker 1: Yeah no, no lads for Ronald Lacunia. The Marina's fan base says, well, you guys are in for a world of disappointment, because look, we've said in a million times we really really like laz. If you think he's gonna be Ronald Lacunia as a player, you're you're putting unfair expectations on everybody, including him. M hm.
Speaker 2: A last reliever to look at here, lyle is Rico Garcia from the Baltimore Orioles. So Garcia has been awesome this year. It's gonna need are under three striking out a ton of batters. His walk rate is about average. Problem is, there's just not a lot of tenure to look at with Rigo Garcia. He does not have a very long resume. In fact, he's bounced around so much he's been on seven teams in six years. But he's finally broken out in his last couple of seasons with Baltimore. As I give you enough confidence to trade for.
Speaker 1: Him, I got trust issues with this one. Some of the stuff under the hood isn't as good as you'd want it to be. He always been very good, but his FIP sits closer to four, and he also gives up some barrels like he can get squared up here at times, and because of that, paired with the fact that he's thirty two and has no track record. It makes me a little nervous. Does that make you a little nervous? Uh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would not trade for Rigo Garcia. I felt let me amend that I would trade for him if he is slotted like under Edward Bizardo in terms of leverage, like if you go, if you're trying to build like Munos spy, Munhos brash spire for rare Bizardo Rico Garcia in that order. Fine, And I don't think he'd be that expensive because again I don't know how much leverage the Orioles have with someone like Rico Garcia, but like that's it. He's sure too, and he has four more years of control.
Speaker 1: After this, I was about to say, I know the Orioles are playing bad baseball and they may end up selling, but are they really going to trade him. I don't know if he's gonna have immense value or not for somebody that doesn't have a long track record. He's already thirty two years old, and yeah, he doesn't hit arbitration until he's thirty four and twenty twenty eight. I mean, he is a really, really late Bloomer. So if you're the Orioles, you're probably thinking, with this club control, we'd only trade him if we get a haul back for him. And I would imagine most teams are not going to trade a haul for Rico Garcia. So I don't know if he really gets dealt and I sure I certainly don't think it ends up being the Mariners of the trade for him.
Speaker 2: No, I don't think so either. Good profile, but that's not for me.
Speaker 1: Really sick trade market. We've got, man like, really a bunch of awesome options that should just put this team over the top.
Speaker 2: And all of you will notice we did not talk about the world as Chapman because the Mariners are not trading for a world as Chapman. I mean, Adam Jude had a report that said, uh, a world at Chapman will not be getting traded to the Seattle Mariners. Yeah, so there you go.
Speaker 1: That's it seems like there's not gonna be a lot of Red Sox. No Chapman, no Wilson Contreras. Your best your best BET's Garrett Wetlock.
Speaker 2: I hope so, and Garrett, look, Garrett Willock fits uh so, Yeah, that's just a first batch of them. There are definitely more guys we can look at and talk about as these weeks go on. But given that we are sitting here about a week a month away from the trade deadline, it's good to get the first batch out of the way. But we got a lot of like busy stuff coming up. We got the All Star Game, all Star Week, we have to draft. It's a lot of things to touch on between now and then, so good to get some out of the way.
Speaker 1: July's a busy month in the baseball world in general, in the baseball calendar. So yeah, we'll talk about other guys as time goes on. But when this is our first batchman, and we're trying to list out the guys that are right off the top of mind for who the Mariners could go get, and we're sitting here highlighting Taylor Ward and Saya Suzuki as the headliners. Bad market, Bad trade market. These guys better figure it out internally, because again, outside of Terrek Schoogle, nobody's saving them. They got to do it on their own.
Speaker 2: No I concur one hundred percent.
Speaker 1: All right, That just about wraps up this edition of the Marine Layer podcast. You guys know the Drill. If you want to listen to the full form podcast, you can do so wherever you get your audio pods. Make sure to download these episodes. If you're listening, go rate and review five stars. It helps a ton if you do. And if you're on YouTube, go hit somecribe. Just take a second. If you're sitting on YouTube, click the red subscribe button. Then you're always notified whenever we're posting content. You can find us on our website marine layerpod dot com, where you can get your podcast merch. You can find all of our episodes there. Our Patreon is there again. That's at marine layerpod dot com, and then find us on social media. We're posting content every single day at Marine Layer Pod. That's TJ. I'm Lyle. It's always be Thank you guys for tuning in. We'll talk to you soon.