Speaker 1: When you look at the videos now that we put on Instagram, don't you have a slight desire to look a little better? I know I do. I put on the lights put on a night next to Heather Graham. I did not look good. So today I put on.
Speaker 2: The lights one no one next to hev I know.
Speaker 1: But today I saw the Heather Graham videos and I was like Jesus, put on a nice shut zach, I put on some lights. Fuck.
Speaker 2: She was a spectacular guest.
Speaker 1: Actually she was, but she also looks like Heather Graham. So next to her, it's like accentuated that we don't look that great. Well, I should say, I don't look that great. You always look great.
Speaker 3: Well, today I don't look my best. I was in the animation studio.
Speaker 1: As you can see, Yes, you're very close to the camera today, but this is going to be an extreme close up.
Speaker 2: Of you and my close door. Is that your your?
Speaker 1: Is that your your?
Speaker 4: The frame actually doesn't look that bad. If you click expand frame you can see what his full frame looks like.
Speaker 1: Oh I did I have him? I have him in a.
Speaker 4: Totally I had to do the same thing. I will say it is a little bit of a low angle. Any way you can get a little bit higher? Yeah, a little higher.
Speaker 2: I mean I could go to the back. I might.
Speaker 1: I might prefer it. Wait, go to the back of the room or just go behind the What.
Speaker 2: Do you mean, go and get a little higher. That'd be great.
Speaker 1: You know, he doing a weed shoke.
Speaker 2: Hold on one second, this.
Speaker 4: I can't believe I missed that.
Speaker 1: What we pick up on a weed joke? That's what happens. So you don't smoke weed for a year. Oh you gave up weed?
Speaker 2: Good for you?
Speaker 1: No, well for now, Oh you haven't smoked weed for a year? Correct, that's impressive.
Speaker 2: You hit.
Speaker 1: You hid that from our community, who's always interested in how much weed you're consuming.
Speaker 3: I assumed that he hadn't because for a little bit, Dani, it was a little upset about ship.
Speaker 1: Are you saying he was crampy? Yeah? Oh, you were going through withdrawal of counnabis.
Speaker 2: Just for a little bit.
Speaker 3: I was like, what the fuck is up with withdrawal?
Speaker 1: I see he was.
Speaker 2: Mad because of the weed. Now I know, and knowing is half the battle.
Speaker 1: There you go, there, you go, what's happening over there with the camera, bro.
Speaker 2: I'm trying to fix it.
Speaker 3: Man, it's a whole rearranging what you try to get into one day, or shown what you're trying to do.
Speaker 2: Let me tell you, man.
Speaker 1: I have so many topics I want to talk about before we're joined by the incredible, incredibly funny Nicole Sullivan. Donald, you know how excited we are about the Wicked movie coming out?
Speaker 2: What just happened?
Speaker 1: Well, the Wicked people are putting out a toy, every kind of toy that exists. There's a Wicked What are you saying? Oh Lord, this camera fell o, Oh god, we guys, not even one. I would like to I would like the record to reflect that those of us who don't smoke, we have our cameras set up properly, and those of us who are high as balls can't seem to set up a web him.
Speaker 3: It's not a webcam. It's a freaking freaking point and shoot. Man, this thing has to.
Speaker 1: Have a you know what you need, what you should get? Donald.
Speaker 2: It doesn't mount to the computer, it doesn't.
Speaker 1: I know. But what I have is it's on a one of those things you can move around like a like a light that screws to your table. And then I can move it up and down and all around.
Speaker 2: It's a mic arm.
Speaker 1: It's like a mic arm.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you also have a mark. I can't tell my wife. Yo. You know what I need, Babe. I need this.
Speaker 1: You Donald? You Donald, You couldn't set up a mic stand on your on your desk?
Speaker 2: Hey Donald, did you set up the mic stand on your desk?
Speaker 1: Absolutely?
Speaker 4: I've set up all of this all right, Donald, I'm gonna make you an offer. I am coming to Los Angeles, Oh, at the end of October, at the end of this month, and I will come over and set this up for you if you would like that.
Speaker 2: I love it. Let's do it and then you can see the studio and yeahe what I'm doing. I've already Yo. First shot is beginning lighting everything. I can't believe it. I can't believe it.
Speaker 3: I can't believe it, all of this money that I've put into this room and this and this.
Speaker 2: Hobby of mine. Finally, first shot, we're beginning.
Speaker 1: Are you going to use our puppets?
Speaker 2: I think we should be in the movie. I wanted to talk to you about this, bro.
Speaker 1: No, but I would like you to be putting effort using our puppets.
Speaker 2: Listen.
Speaker 1: If I see that puppet with the dreads that you love one more time, when you've got Zach and Donald puppets, listen, then why are you so addicted to him?
Speaker 2: To me? Because we don't have the proper stuff yet. But this is what I'm thinking.
Speaker 3: I think you and I should be in this movie as Tag and Bank.
Speaker 1: I don't know what that means.
Speaker 2: What does that mean? Again?
Speaker 1: What does Tag and Bank mean?
Speaker 5: I don't know?
Speaker 1: You either?
Speaker 2: Get this mic? Right?
Speaker 1: Do you want to talk about the two topics that I want to talk about or do you want to talk about Tag and Bink?
Speaker 2: You were asking me about my room. Okay, let's talk about your two topics. I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: Okay. So the Wicked movie is coming out and they made a little mistake the obviously, for those of you who don't know Wicked, the musical Act one ends with a very big, huge song called the Fine Gravity, made famous by Adele Desime A Dina Manzelle.
Speaker 2: Killed it.
Speaker 1: Adele desime killed it. She originated the parted and she's wickedly talented and her name is Adele Dezime and she has a life. And it ends with this huge number that's very exciting and it's thrilling and anyone who loves musicals, it was a very special moment. So they releasing all these toys for the Wicked movie, and someone fucked up because one of the toys is a microphone where you can sing along, and the toy came out and if you hit a button, it fucking plays the final the epic moment with now Cynthia Revo singing the song, and so people are just filming, is just filming in the microphone? I saw this on Twitter. We want to hear a little clip. Sure, yes, this is like a kid's microphone toy and someone just filmed it on the interweb. We wow, it really plays like.
Speaker 6: Everyone to fly, that's my super Bowl, that's my superod.
Speaker 1: I just got goosebump say something right now.
Speaker 2: Vo Arrivo did the Whitney Houston to that bad Boy?
Speaker 1: What do you mean she did another?
Speaker 3: The Star Spangled Banner is an amazing song. We as Americans know this. Yes, there's very few times that it was sang where everyone in America is like, that's the best version of that I've ever heard in my life.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Whitney Houston for that was it? The Super Bowl whatever Super Bowl that was.
Speaker 3: Her version of the star spangl banner is probably the best version of the Star Spangled banner I've ever heard. Not only is it the best, everybody bites off of what she did, but circle now let me now, let me, now, let me go. I thought, after hearing Nadel manzine, I I too have dyslexia, So therefore.
Speaker 1: You think it would cancel each other out and you'd be back to a Dina Menzel.
Speaker 3: No, but it doesn't. It's you know, but nobody. I've seen this show several times. I still thought she was the best to sing it. After Cynthia Rivo. I'm gonna have to go Cynthia Rivo right now.
Speaker 1: Well, I just want to say that I don't know. I don't know if they would like to see it.
Speaker 3: I would like to see a battle if somebody wants to compare.
Speaker 1: I don't know if they did leak this thing on purpose, but I think they did it definitely. It definitely made me more more intrigued to see the movie.
Speaker 2: It's a dead Pool maneuver for sure.
Speaker 1: What's the Deadpool maneuver? Well, Ryan Reynolds, did they leaked something, Well, Ryan.
Speaker 3: Reynolds was Deadpool originally, and twentieth Century Fox did the movie with him as in a Wolverine uh anthology film, right, and it was wasn't really that good, so he thought his chance of playing and then Green Lantern came out and people were like, that shit's whack. So he thought his chances of playing a superhero were gone. And somebody said you should revisit Deadpool and he was like, yo, dude, this is all stuff that he said in the interview and I'm paraphrasing, it's not quoting.
Speaker 2: He said, dude, I did that already and it didn't work.
Speaker 3: And they were like, just read the comic he does, and he's like, oh, this is a different take on it. Him and his buddy put the outfit on and shoot him as this character and leak it.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: Twentieth Century picks up on it and they're like, all right, let's do something with this not to be seen.
Speaker 2: He leaks that too, so now the public's like, I want that Deadpool. I want this version, you know what I mean? And that's why I think.
Speaker 1: That's the exact sames ten dollars.
Speaker 3: And now he's rich as fuck. But it's a great strategy man leak something that you know everybody wants. That's the one. I'm sure there are many more songs in the movie that are gonna be I think.
Speaker 1: It's gonna be really good. Speaking of movies that have had a very hard time lately, we should discuss for a second what happened to Joker Too.
Speaker 2: My goodness, I haven't seen the movie, so I don't know.
Speaker 1: I haven't seen the movie either, but it is uh it uh, it's did it's not doing very well. People aren't seeming to really like it both audiences. Oh there's Joel just in time. You're talking about Pony.
Speaker 2: You missed it, You missed the wicked tol you.
Speaker 1: The song toll. Joel Monique is down to get down. As an entrance for Joel, get.
Speaker 7: The word out all the town. Joel Monique is down and get down. No matter what's between your eggs. Tomorrow morning you could be and make an egg.
Speaker 8: Joel Monique is down.
Speaker 2: Get down.
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, Joel Monique is down.
Speaker 1: Joelle. We missed you. We were just I just was bringing up the subject of Joker Too. I I don't normally like to talk about anyone's projects that don't perform because I want to celebrate all artists. But it is sort of a big pop culture moment for cinema. How colossally the movie flopped. What are your thoughts.
Speaker 8: I cover this on NPR's Pop Culture Happy Hour. If you want a very detailed description, I feel about this, and that is.
Speaker 2: How you make an entrance.
Speaker 1: Lady, she's one sentence in different Joell, can you give our listeners something from pop culture for guys?
Speaker 8: I just so you know, I know we're trying to keep it tight, So just so you know there's a full But I think it is a movie that deeply misunderstands why musicals exist and what makes the Joker.
Speaker 1: Wait, try you've seen it obviously, Joelle. Sorry, yes, yes, okay, go ahead, go ahead.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 8: So I think misunderstands musicals. I don't think it understands what musical is, why they exists, how music should be used, or anything like that. I think it misunderstands what makes the Joker interesting, which to me is his uh deep love and affection for Batman and how that fuels him and compels him to be able to be as chaotic as he wants to, because hey, there's like a guy on a suit in a rubber suit, like fighting people. I can also be crazy, And on top of all that, deeply misunderstands how the prison system works. And on top of all of that, it is a courtroom drama. It's a hot mess. Is genuinely a hot mess of a film.
Speaker 1: Also with love spoilers, because I've been actually avoiding spoilers. I know there's a twist ending. I have avoided seeing it because I'm kind of curious to maybe go see it.
Speaker 2: I heard about the twist.
Speaker 1: Well, don't reveal it obviously for anybody but I. But I heard that the fans, I mean critics aside, because critics are critics. They you know, they can they love or hate things. But the audience, the fan, the fan base for the film, seems to have really been pissed off, like they really feel let down by the promise of what it was going to be.
Speaker 8: The film seems to not like the fans. It seems to call any question.
Speaker 1: Can I keep reading that, how do you mean? Because I keep reading that.
Speaker 8: The film has a very strong stance on fandom as a whole, and it also has a lot to say about who and what the Joker is and if you enjoy that character, what that might say about you, which is again a very odd chance to take when he made a billion dollar, extremely successful movie off of these people who enjoyed your film. There it seems to suggest that it is chaotic to be this intense about a character, and whether it's that you you love him, you want to emulate him, dressed like him, Like, that's chaotic and unnecessary. I don't necessarily think fandom can be a great place.
Speaker 2: So cosplay is chaotic, is what they're saying.
Speaker 8: A little more pointed about specifically, there was a lot of talk around the first film that it might rile up in cells, so sort of make a hero out of the Joker, who in the film is essentially becomes a terrorist, right, and so there was a lot of concern of like, is this art too far, which is a ridiculous question. It's are people have different levels of taste. Obviously nothing happened because this movie existed, and so I think Todd Phillips is the director, has a right to be like, that was a really weird take in a lot that you put on this movie I made. But then in addition, any fan of the Joker in the film is seen as being like a very intense follower who might become a tear You're like, wait a minute, why.
Speaker 1: So it sort of takes digs at the people that were obsessed with the first movie. I see, that's bold. That's a bold choice, Cotton. Let's see how it plays out.
Speaker 8: It's very bold.
Speaker 1: Well, I think Warner Brothers will be just fine. But it seems like a stressful day at the office.
Speaker 8: A two hundred million dollar movie making million is stressful.
Speaker 1: Well, two hundred million dollar production costs, I think I read it as three hundred million dollar advertising.
Speaker 2: And how much did they spend on back Girl? And they just dropped that too.
Speaker 1: M hm, but this but James Gunn, I've done a little reading on this, So James Gunn wasn't involved in this at all, and he's been tasked with sort of you know, restarting DC. Also, this was, as I read, approved and pushed through by the previous administration of Warner Brothers, not the new heads. And also like I read like the analysis saying, who wouldn't have taken a guy? Who wouldn't have taken a risk on a guy who's made the studio over a billion dollars between the Hangover movies and.
Speaker 8: It would be insane, not too yeah.
Speaker 3: So yeah, is it fair to say that maybe he didn't want to make a joker too, and was you didn't.
Speaker 8: Want to make a Joker one? He wanted to make a movie about a man in descent. That's not a diss. He wanted to you want to make a movie about a man in descent? And Warner Brothers was like, maybe he could be about the Joker, like that would be cool, and he was like, finance is awesome, like let's roll, and then did and so I think.
Speaker 1: But then it was an enormous hit, right, and that's what neither he nor Joaquin wanted to make a second one. But they backed up the Brinks truck and they were they finally hit a number where they were like, both like okay. But then he was like, but no screen tests, Like no, no, no testing it. So they never tested it.
Speaker 2: So maybe this is his way to get out of.
Speaker 3: Having to it's bold, you know what I mean, Like I don't want to say anything.
Speaker 2: I don't you know what I mean. I don't want to say it, Joelle, because I think that's the but I.
Speaker 1: Don't know what you're saying, I don't even know what you're implying. I think it's his way of making a preposterous amount of money and be like, fuck you. I don't want to make superhero movies anymore. But he's still gonna be allowed to make whatever he wants. I mean, he's made so much money for people.
Speaker 8: Mm hmm.
Speaker 1: Right now, he's not going to director jail. He's fine.
Speaker 3: I don't think he's going to director jail. I don't know, man, I just I don't understand. You know, you want to stick the landing. Everybody wants to stick the landing the way it sounds like. It sounds like I mean, I haven't seen the movie, so I don't know, but it sounds like a big fuck you, that's all bro.
Speaker 1: I want to see it then I'll be I don't normally go see this movie, but I'm so curious about.
Speaker 2: But isn't that the Joker too? I'm just saying, go see it, opinion.
Speaker 1: Meta. Couldn't you go meta and say this is what the Joker would do if he was directing the movie?
Speaker 2: You know what I mean? Isn't that? Isn't that, at the end of the day, what the dude would do.
Speaker 1: We'll probably love it. Donald. It's a musical, but.
Speaker 2: It's not original songs. It's like only one original song in it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's just covers of like what classics?
Speaker 2: Yeah, but classics. I don't know, No, no, I don't know.
Speaker 1: It's a courtroom drama apparently. So if you care to find me, look to the concerns guy.
Speaker 2: As someone too lately.
Speaker 3: Every one deserves.
Speaker 1: A chance to fly, all right, Nicole is here's the show? Yes, let Nicole in wait counter said Donald.
Speaker 2: Five six seven stories. You're not sure?
Speaker 5: We made about.
Speaker 1: A bunch of talks and nurses.
Speaker 2: And said he's a story.
Speaker 1: Natal, So YadA round here.
Speaker 2: Yeada round here.
Speaker 1: But ladies and gentlemen, what a guess? Nicole Sullivan is a hilarious woman. Oh my god, there she is, Nicole. Applause. Daniel Thunder is Nicole beautiful thing? How are you?
Speaker 5: I'm well, how are you guys doing? You're crushing it on this. I love it.
Speaker 1: You are not only hilarious, but the best guest we could have. Donald, I'm doing an introduction.
Speaker 2: I'm doing the background vocals for it.
Speaker 1: It's going to be distracting.
Speaker 5: Donald, can you repeat the part where you say the best guest without that, you're an.
Speaker 1: Amazing guest for us to have because not only are you hilarious, but you have a Scrubs history. You were Jill Tracy on the beloved show Scrubs.
Speaker 2: And you're actually a friend too, So.
Speaker 5: This is all friend. I've known you guys.
Speaker 1: Forever we have. I had no idea until I did my research that you went to the HARV to the Midwest Northwestern University. Yes I did, and I thought to myself, that's why she's so good.
Speaker 5: That's right. I mean, we we crushed it out there at the Northwestern.
Speaker 2: You know, I don't know.
Speaker 5: I don't know about that, but uh, yeah, there's.
Speaker 2: A lot of you. There's a lot of yes, lots.
Speaker 5: I'll tell you what that Northwestern gave me very Uh it was super helpful. Here's why I was not popular in school. And I know, like, what do you mean popular in college? But like you can be in the theater department either very like you can be someone who's cast a lot and stuff. And like back then, they would literally post it on the wall like you see in like movies like did I Get It? Did I Get It? And I would go time and time again like nahn and I didn't stop. I mean, by the time I graduated, it was getting a little better. But uh, but I was not particularly cast lot and I'll tell you what. I moved out to LA and so when as opposed to people that like come out from you know, a small town where like I'm the star, I was like, oh no, I'm a piece of shit, and so I can't.
Speaker 2: I flowed.
Speaker 5: I flew into LA with no rejection, being like, yeah, yeah, that's what everyone gets rejection. So LA didn't bother me.
Speaker 1: You feel like it prepped you to be resistant to the amount of rejection you were going to get exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but so sad, I was like, was it like that for you?
Speaker 1: Zach Well? I was mostly focused on film in Northwestern I only I took an acting class, but bizarrely the programs were pretty separate, and so if you were all in on on theater, you got to take anything related to theater. And I was mostly making short films, but I didn't do much much theater work. There was a very cool improv troupe and with Seth Myers was in it when I was there, Were you involved in I think it was called Meow, Right, were you involved in that at all?
Speaker 5: I did not get cast in Me Out. I auditioned one year and did not get cast, But I didn't do comedy, Like comedy was not on my radar at all at all. I auditioned for that because my friend was auditioning and I'm I made it to like the final cut, and I was like that was cool, And there was no part of me that was like that was my goal at all, to be in the Meow Show or improvor any of that. Like I I when I graduated, I genuinely thought and wanted to do repertory Shakespeare. That was that was how what I wanted to spend my life doing. Was like I loved Shakespeare. I loved it.
Speaker 2: Do you still love it? I?
Speaker 5: If I came across it, I would be myself like, whatever, my kids have a Shakespeare project. I'm like, I can totally hope.
Speaker 7: I know.
Speaker 5: I was energized here and they're like, shut the fuck.
Speaker 1: Do you see it out there when you go to New York? Or when are you ever see the shows?
Speaker 5: Or you just or very rarely, very rarely, I let it go.
Speaker 2: Shakespeare.
Speaker 5: You know, it's a lot, It's like, oh, geez, it's a it's a broader style of acting, which you know, I think is where that sort of came into comedy. But but anyway, yeah, like I I was going to do that, and I was like going to go to Asheville and like, you know places like that, you know, the Pacific Northwest where there's really great repertory theaters and uh. But then my friend Suzanne was like, I'm going to go to l A. Do you want to try LA for a minute. I was like, all right, I'll try it. And I came out and I was temping with a friend in New York City. I grew up New York City. I was temping with a friend at Ernst and young and instant young and uh. And my friend who was temping with she was like, my I think my sister was like a casting director. I was like, oh, okay, She's like, called, He'm going to get out there.
Speaker 2: I did.
Speaker 5: I'd been out here in l A for I don't know, four minutes, like literally four days, I think, and I went in and read and I got passed on a show, a little show called Herman's Head Head.
Speaker 1: I remember that there were different people in the man's head exactly.
Speaker 2: Remember that show?
Speaker 5: Yes, so I got three lines?
Speaker 1: What was your line? Do you remember? What did you say?
Speaker 5: I'm looking for Hattie Newman Hattie And then then I said something like this box is for her. And then I said, I guess yeah, nail it, nail it. But I got a paycheck and I was like, you're paying me what? Like I couldn't even believe that you could get paid. I don't remember what it was. Maybe let's say eight hundred dollars right for three lines, And I was like, I was like, I'm staying in La, right. And then I didn't work for two years. But that's fine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, But well, when you come out here, it can be such a mind fuck because it's like you're it's like gambling in Vegas, where you sometimes it hits and you're like, oh my god, I'm winning. I'm winning, and then two years go by and you're like, I haven't won in two years, right, and but you but you just like people who are addicted to gambling, you don't want to leave the casino. You're like, I have to stay. I won that one other time. I got to keep going for it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I will say the thing that messed with my head the most was commercial auditions, Like I had to stop auditioning for commercials long before I could afford to stop auditioning for commercials, Like it messed with my head. Like the other auditions, like you do what you can. Commercial agents, Like I would get in the car afterwards and like turn my let my mirror to my face and like practice what I had just done. Like it's not like I'm getting a second shot. I already I already put the gum in my mouth and said delicious or whatever I had to say. And but I messed with my head. I was like, oh this, Like that drove me crazy because that was literally just like spitting a roulette wheel.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm always amazing. I used to direct commercials. I still sometimes occasionally do it. I'm always amazed that anyone ever gets picked. I mean, it's so they bring people in six at a time, they say, you know, say the line or do this little pantomime, and there's so many people weighing in on it. I stopped auditioning when I was when I was first starting out, I stopped too. I was like, this is just I have no control over this. This is about the way I look and whether I said your your keys, sir, right, I mean, it's just there's no there's it's just it's too humbling.
Speaker 5: It's very yeah, it's it's it's too humiliating.
Speaker 1: In many ways, Donald did well as a child with commercials. Here's a little quote from one of his hits in a Folger's commercial.
Speaker 5: You haven't gone.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's when his brother has been gone a long time?
Speaker 2: Donald was war?
Speaker 1: What was your secret? It was an Iraq war folders commercial? What was your secret? Donald? For getting commercials back in the day being a cute kid?
Speaker 2: You know, I'm gonna be honest with you. Yeah.
Speaker 3: My first commercial audition was for uh a serial called Oatmeal Raisin brand, I'll never forget it. And they wanted me to come in sing and smile, and I was really good at doing both of those things.
Speaker 2: So I got it.
Speaker 5: And let me look at that face though, look at those.
Speaker 1: Seen him as a little kid.
Speaker 2: I was really cute as a kid. I was really cute.
Speaker 1: Been gone a long time?
Speaker 3: Yeah, because I couldn't act for ship. Yeah, so some people out there like, motherfucker, you still can't act.
Speaker 1: Oh no, no one thinks you, no one, So what happened. So how did it become I'm not interested in comedy. I want to do Shakespeare. I come out here and then you become a you get cast on one of the most beloved sketch shows ever, Mad TV? What happened? What were the steps that led to that?
Speaker 5: That was so back then? I mean, it's so weird. People are like, you know, young people, young young people, or like, how do you do business? Something like it's unrecognizable from what when I started. It's unrecognizable. Like back when I started, I was a waitress and I was a temp and I worked two jobs. And I mean, I know, I came out to LA with five hundred dollars literally five no, no, my dad gave me five hundred. I made five hundred, so I had a thousand dollars and that's all I had. But I so I worked two jobs. But it was if some if you want an agent, you would meet a friend they'd say like, oh, I have an agent, you should, and you'd go in. You'd do a monologue for them, I don't know from something, and then you'd have an agent. Like it was that then you had an agent, maybe not a good one, but you had an agent and you can't. That doesn't work it more. But back then, I we would do these things called showcases, where like you would do a show of some sort of scenes or sketches or something, and casting directors and or their assistants would come and they see people they liked, and so my friends and I Gab Gab Allan, Gab Greenberg.
Speaker 1: Allen, who was a writer on Scrubs and came on the show infamously. She came on the show and I hadn't watched the episode we were reviewing. She was I think the only guest when we were doing Scrubs episodes that that never watched the episode, right donald.
Speaker 2: She'd she didn't. She had never listened to the podcast.
Speaker 1: She had never listened to the podcast, and at the time it was a Scrubs rewatch podcast, and she never got around to watching the episode.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it was during it was during pandemic, so everybody was kind of like at home too.
Speaker 1: So yes, she was a lot going on, Gabby, but she's she's a historical guest in the context of the show, and that she's the only person on the rewatch version that didn't rewatch the show. But she was still fantastic. Go ahead, you and Gabby, So me and Gabby.
Speaker 5: And an actor named Dave Strickland who's since left us unfortunately, and another guy named Joe who's like he's an accountant in Orange County. We put a we did a sketch show, and we thought it was hilarious and our friends would come see it. I mean not hilarious, but we thought it was cute. And then someone saw that and they said, come in an audition from mat TV. And then I came back and like then they're like, bring I remember, They're like, so we're going so they need five characters. I was like five characters. They're like yeah, and or five minutes of your best material.
Speaker 1: I was like we started out. Was this the beginning of the show, the launch show?
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh yes it was.
Speaker 1: You were one of the first cast members.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I want to talk about that too. I want to talk.
Speaker 5: Well, I mean, there's really nothing else. I was like, I don't have any like I didn't have that, Like I wasn't I never did it. I never studied the groundlings, I never did stand up, I never did anything like that. So I was like, I don't know what to do. And I came up with these just random, weird five characters, and one of them, I like, I kept a post it on my you know, wearing a mini skirt. You know, I'm not an idiot, what post it on my thigh reminding me which character to do or now? Because I didn't know what I was doing. And oddly, and you know, callbacks and then I got cast and oddly three of those characters were on the pilot. So like, it was one of those lessons that like, by the way, the grounding people are insanely trained. It is such a skill and they should be applauded, all of them for what they accomplished, and it's unbelievable what they do. But it also spoke to me of like being someone that people root for, Like you guys are the quintessential versions of that, Like when people want to like you when you when they want to root for you on their show, you as a character, you as a person, like it's things go easier, Like it's easier to get stuff done and get your your funny across when people are rooting for you. And so that's what I learned about that that was.
Speaker 2: My got somebody in your corner?
Speaker 5: Absolutely, Yeah, yeah, and the audience in your corner, you know, like once you can sort of figure that that game out.
Speaker 1: So we shocked you had no experience and you get cast on the first season of this. Mad TV was meant to be sort of as correct me if I'm wrong, sort of Fox's edgier version of SNL. They were going to go a little bit more twisted.
Speaker 5: Yeah. It was, you know, loosely based on the magazine, which was parodies, right, So parodies was sort of the gimmick of it, and then sketches in between. But you know, movie parodies TV. So it was never as cutting edge, never as out there timely as SNL because we were not live, so we couldn't talk about yesterday's debate, nor would we have because we were.
Speaker 1: That Did you do it in an audience? Yeah, you did, say go ahead.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna say this. I saw. This is how I was introduced to Mad TV. The Clueless sketch. That was the first you know what I mean, Yes, and and and being and clueless.
Speaker 3: You know, I'm looking for my character in there, but you guys only did share and Dion. But I'll never forget. I'll never forget watching that and being like, oh, I got to watch the rest of the show. You guys had such great chemistry that first year, the chemistry listen, holy shit, like.
Speaker 2: It was my go to show. Like you know you are watching Mad, Yeah, am I right?
Speaker 5: Yes, yes, that was my go.
Speaker 2: To show instead of instead of SNL for that time.
Speaker 5: I hadn't thought about that song in so long. Just so funny. You are watching Mad TV.
Speaker 1: Many And Mike McDonald was has a Scrubs connection too, he was on it. I think we broke his he broke his penis, right donald, He broke.
Speaker 2: His penis and he liked pain. Also, yes, there was one where.
Speaker 5: He liked yes, yes, yes, oh my god, I remember that.
Speaker 1: And he directed quite a few.
Speaker 5: Yes, he did.
Speaker 1: My favorite Man TV sketch that I can remember is is Bobby Lee doing.
Speaker 2: The green dragon. The dragon.
Speaker 1: He was a green screen actor and uh, and everything that he was being directed to do made it look like he was being in an orgy, beating beating off different people.
Speaker 2: Well, you couldn't see what was going on.
Speaker 3: He was riding the dragons first and then there somebody was attacking them and he had to grab it.
Speaker 1: And yeah, they were from all sides. Yeah, because it was just green and they were like, all right, now now we need you to there's two different swords and you need to shake them on either side of your mouth. You're going up and down like this, and he was, if you haven't.
Speaker 5: Seen good, I have to watch it. I have not seen that, haven't Oh my god?
Speaker 1: Audience, and Nicole just put in Bobby Lee GreenScreen, Mad TV and YouTube.
Speaker 2: How many seasons did you do Mad tvfore?
Speaker 5: I did six?
Speaker 1: Oh my god?
Speaker 5: Yeah, and that was I was like, and I'm out, uh but it every week?
Speaker 1: Would you do one every week?
Speaker 5: It was like a sitcom schedule, three weeks on, one week off. But but we so we were live in front of an audience, but of those three weeks we would do live audiences. Maybe I'm made in the math of it wrong, but similar to this, we would do two weeks to live shows, like you know, like like a regular sitcom in front of an audience and all that stuff, and then one week we would shoot the parodies, which were single camera or thereabouts. Yeah, but somebody the clulest one was my I believe, I hope I don't.
Speaker 3: Think of that.
Speaker 2: That was the one that blew up. I promise you.
Speaker 5: That was the one where everybody was like and that was my first that was my first time doing an imitation of somebody I'd never pretended to be mailed.
Speaker 2: It so well, and I was like, d I'll never forget.
Speaker 3: I'll never forget my Mom's saying, you got to see this, you got to see this because I was still living in my mom's house at the time. After Clueless ended, I went back to New York and was living in my old room and shit like that, and I watched Mad TV in New York City, and I'll never forget it.
Speaker 2: I'll never forget in Living Color and Mad TV, both of them.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 9: You used to do Hillary Clinton, right, yeah, really badly. Really you didn't have Hillary No, couldn't get her.
Speaker 5: Voice, Mo Collins. I looked more like her. I have let's be I have the cankles. I'm not gonna lie I have the cankle, the Hillary Clinton cankles. Why and so if you put an inappropriately length dress a skirt on me, it's startling. You're like, oh shit, there she is. But Mo Collins can really do her voice much better than I. I mean, I impressions were never like my.
Speaker 8: Like that was.
Speaker 1: I don't feel like I'm a good in person here. I feel like I would love to do sketch comedy. I would I would love to do some sort of improv troop thing at some point in my life on my bucket list, But impersonating people, I don't think it comes naturally to me.
Speaker 3: Weird to hear people talk about it too, right, Like they're always like it's a different tone and they can hear the same like who wasn't was it?
Speaker 2: Richard?
Speaker 9: Uh?
Speaker 2: What was the guy that used to do?
Speaker 5: He did?
Speaker 2: Everybody?
Speaker 5: I know, I know exactly what you're talking about. Richard Little No, that's not I think that's it.
Speaker 2: No, is that it?
Speaker 8: I have a Richard Little o C Canadian American impressionist and voice actor.
Speaker 5: Yes, that's yes's.
Speaker 3: And just him saying how he would find different voices in you know what I mean, because he was one of them. He was the best at the time anything anybody right, and how he could hear it? And who's the dude that does it?
Speaker 2: That was on your show? Now he was on mad TV.
Speaker 3: As a matter of fact, he also has a thing where he talks about how he he does the Super Bowl and he does.
Speaker 5: Oh oh, Frank Caliendo. Frank, Yeah, Frank.
Speaker 1: He does a lot of impersonation.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, he we overlapped a little bit. Someone was like, you overlapped like two or three years. I was like, we did. I think I've had one conversation with that man, and I mean we were on the same show for jut we were just never right.
Speaker 2: What about.
Speaker 5: On the show they were after after me, they were after you, yeah, and Ike was after me, Ike Barenholtz, Josh my They.
Speaker 1: I'm just looking through. It's amazing. Josh Myers, who's also graduate.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what's his name, was on the show too. Uh.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 5: Phil Lamarr is like, by the way, if you I am to be Phil Lamar, You've never seen someone with more credits like it. Like it's because he does a voiceover so much voiceover.
Speaker 2: He actually wrote on the last show that I was on.
Speaker 1: Oh wow.
Speaker 5: He's like insanely, insanely talented, like just to do anything. And he was the one when I was like, I don't know how to do this. I think it was when I was doing I don't remember who I was doing it anyway, right at the beginning, either either clueless or maybe it was your barm or I don't remember. And I was like, I don't know how to do this. He's like, pick two things. He's like, watch a bunch of stuff. He picked two things. You get Like maybe he's like one vocal and one visual that you can that they do and just latch onto those two things. You can't cover all the bases.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 5: And I was like, interesting, So that's what you do. Like one one thing they do that you're just going to exaggerate and one way they look that you're just going to exaggerate.
Speaker 3: Phil is the voice of like Everybody Man, Everybody Batman to like Static shock Man, Like he's all over the place, like just amazing, Martian the Manhunter, just amazing, like just not only DC, but just I mean he's a great voice, actor and a great writer, and he's a great person too.
Speaker 2: He's actually a great I'm glad you. I'm glad you. I'm glad you brought him up.
Speaker 1: TV and you become very popular in the land of half hour comedy.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I left mat TV because of I had an offer from King of Queen's Right, so I jumped onto that.
Speaker 9: How was your experience on King and Queens fantastic. I mean fantastic.
Speaker 1: You met your husband. I did meet my husband there wrote that story.
Speaker 5: He's he was Kevin James assistant.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 5: And I me and my girlfriend. She was my friend's steph. She was the craft service person. She's amazing. And we would go and we we would drink our our boobs off during the night and come in hungover and we're like, oh, we like, there's no men for us in this world, you know, how come we're fantastic, Like as we're like smoking cigarettes and going out the window like we were so gross. We were such such smucking party animals and uh. And then one day I was like, oh that guy and I didn't even know what he did. And then it was the Christmas party and they had the Christmas party on the set on the you know, when we were playing poker, and I was like drunk shocker, and I was like, I'm just like my room tonight. And I basically invited this guy Jason. I was like, do you want to make out? Like I think I said that sod, Like do you want to we can make up? And he's like no.
Speaker 1: I was like all right, said no.
Speaker 7: No.
Speaker 1: I was like, okay, I'm good, and I.
Speaker 5: Was like, that was embarrassing. And then a month later he's he called me and asked me out and he's like, I was dating someone. I didn't want to do it, and you've been together ever since, ever since.
Speaker 2: You know what's crazy is that can never happen.
Speaker 5: Now, what I couldn't ask to go make out?
Speaker 1: You can't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, you would not be able to do that at work.
Speaker 5: You were not someone you barely know, like I mean we were a pal.
Speaker 1: I guess not because also you were on the show, so it's not right.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Kevin James was not thrilled. Thrilled. I mean he just you know, like he's you know, he's old school guy like and I can talk about him because he's never going to hear this and people are so scared of him that they would never read the story. That's a beautiful thing. Then you can talk. But I mean, he's a great guy, like I was.
Speaker 1: Everybody so scared of him. Well, I don't really know much about him, to be honest.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean you would just never go, hey, Kevin, I heard someone talk about you. You just wouldn't. It would be a bad You wouldn't want to get involved but like he's old school, like it was like a it was a boys club man that that King Queens was a boy's club, and it was like and there was ranks like people like you didn't Jason was that was not he didn't like it right, but he got I mean it was over that. He got over it. And then we hung a boy's.
Speaker 1: Club, meaning like the writer's Room and the yes, yeah, yes, did you ever see The Comeback with with Lisa, Yes, one of.
Speaker 5: My favorite it's the jacket, no jacket, jacket, no jacket when she said the upfronts jacket jacket, no jacket, jacket was just to crawl across the stage of the jacket no jacket.
Speaker 1: The first season, if you've never seen it, of the Comeback is a spoof of an actress, Lisa Gutro, trying to make a comeback in her career and it's made like a fake documentary and it's documentary and there.
Speaker 5: Was nothing that spoke there was. There's nothing I've ever seen that was as true to that time in television as that show.
Speaker 1: One of the things she faces is a writer's room of really alpha male chauvinistic men. The show that she's on is like the most you know, ridiculous thing. It was Malin Ackerman's first big job, I believe, because she played the young hot girl. And yeah, some really funny stuff between the two of them, you know, Lisa Kudro having to deal with the fact that Malin Ackerman is sort of like the new her and all this stuff. But you just made me think of that sort of vibe of like an alpha male chauvinistit.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and like not they were loved, like they were nice. I mean, I'm still friends with a lot of them. They were good. They were good guys, right, Like, It's not like they were mean. They were good guys and very talented, funny writers. It was just that was it was just a bunch of white dudes in a room, right and and you know that was how that was just how TV was back then. But it's thank god it's changed.
Speaker 1: Do you feel that you your experience doing the Sketch Show gave you a leg up for getting sitcom work, because that's sort of extra hard now you're playing one character, you're creating a character as opposed to trying to do in person.
Speaker 2: Does that make you a specialist? You know, you know what I mean? Like does that you know, Yeah, that's the question. Does that make us We're going to we need a character for this show. Let's bring in the call.
Speaker 5: I think it earns you clout that I may or may not have deserved And I'm not being humble. I'm just saying, like it may not like I'm not Phil Lamar, you know. I mean, I'm not some of those people that have like gone up to the rank. So I earned some some sort of credit where maybe it wasn't due, but I had it. So I think that helps. I think the best thing about being on that TV is it was such baptism by fire like as far as the thing with comedy, as you guys know, as you guys like you know, over like proven over and over again by you guys, is that you can't be afraid to look stupid. If you're if you're afraid of looking if you're afraid of feeling embarrassed, it's not going to work. It's just the comedy is not going to work.
Speaker 2: And that was for me.
Speaker 5: The best lesson of mat TV is like, You're going to look like a dope and people are going to enjoy it. And that's that is a lot of comedy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we just had Henry Winkler on and he said almost verbatim what you just said.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: He I always say the two nicest people in Hollywood are Henry Winkler and Sarah Chalk. Although Sarah Schock's no longer part of our community as much since she likes Canada.
Speaker 2: Moore, Yeah, she lives in.
Speaker 1: She only is willing to work in Vancouver. If you're Vancouver, please hire Sarah.
Speaker 5: Chalk's queen Vancouver.
Speaker 1: What are you talking about, Brittany, She's the Britney Spears event.
Speaker 3: She's running Vancouver right now. They're like, what's coming? I don't know, but Sarah got to be in one of there is in it. Yeah, let's take a break.
Speaker 1: We'll be right back after these fine words. Nicole, how did you come about getting on Scrubs? Were you friends with Bill and door Christa? Beforehand?
Speaker 5: Krista and I were besties. We lived together and we had like a triplex. I don't know, Like you know those houses when this is for the people in la When you drive on Laurel Canyon and you look up, you're like, who would live on that cliff with those stilts? Like you're driving on the that we lived in one of those and it was three stories and I lived in the middle story and she lived in the top story. And we became really close, like we bonded over. We were just shallow and hilarious, according to us, and party a lot.
Speaker 1: Was there a lot of being beautiful young women out on the scene.
Speaker 5: No, at that by that point, Well, Christa had Christa went hard earlier. You know, she was a New York babe, like she was, you know, in Manhattan. Yeah, so she I think she had sort of sewed her oats earlier. So she and I didn't party a lot.
Speaker 7: No, she was.
Speaker 5: I mean I still went out and party, but she didn't. I think she was a little done. But we just hung out. And yes, we were very very close. I mean she dated. She went on a second date with Bill because I made her.
Speaker 1: Really what's that story?
Speaker 5: Because he wore Doc Martin's and ripped jeans and she she was not she was not impressed. Uhlonde hair, didn't he Yeah, yeah, frosted dips and she had met about the upfronts were like it was suits. They also like he looked like she was like, oh, I could date this, and then he showed up as Bill, and she was like, no, thank you, and I was like, it's not hold on, it's not that bad. You can you can tweak that.
Speaker 1: You can tweak that, just getting rid of the jeans and the Doc Martins and maybe get rid of the hair dye.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: One of my favorite memories is that when she and Bill were first dating, he was so in love. I mean, she was love with him too, but he was so puppy dog and love with her still is.
Speaker 1: And uh.
Speaker 5: She was out of town doing something and I had I was going through one of my breakups, you know, all is lost, and she's like, Bill, take her out to dinner. She's sad, and take her out to dinner. And he's like, okay, we didn't know each other that well. I mean we hung up, but like so he took me out to dinner. I remember I went in my pajamas because I was so depressed and I ate and back then actions whatever, I hadn't eaten pasta in like five years or something ridiculous, and I ate like a bowl of pasta like a fucking animal at dinner in my pajamas. And Bill was just like, oh, so, so anyway you can do better.
Speaker 1: He didn't give you a talk.
Speaker 5: This is not what he wanted to be doing at all.
Speaker 1: That's a funny request from a girlfriend, like I'm not in town my friends super depressed in her pajamas. I need you to take her out and cheer up.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's a very It was a sideways request and he did it.
Speaker 2: Because he was so in love.
Speaker 1: In love yeah still to this day. As you said, I mean he's so smitten.
Speaker 2: Yeah he is.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about voice acting, because you kind of crushing that. You've been on Family Guy for quite some time as mort Goldman's.
Speaker 5: Wife, all right, so we do want to get the Family Guy story. So it's I mean, it's not fascinating, but it's interesting. So back in the day, they would spend money on people flying every like Fox especially, like I don't know what the budget was, but it was a billion dollars to send us wherever was happening, right, So there's a million affiliates. Back then, Fox was still like like if you turned your channel, it was still like channel whatever, forty two. So there it was higher numbers, okay, and their goal was to get it down to fives and eleven and two, so like because it was, and they wanted to be like a regular network, so they would do these it was called a switch party. So if it was like at number fifty two, then there were switching to number five, and so you'd go for these switch parties. And these switch parties were happening all over the country all the time, and all these different affiliates, right, all these different local net areas, and so they would fly us everywhere. So anyway, but that was that's sort actually I even really the point. But the point was they flew us to the super Bowl.
Speaker 2: Every year.
Speaker 5: A Fox actor is just to you know whatever. And that year was a Futurama came out and I was cast as the female lead in Futurama the Cyclops, and so, uh we I recorded the first episode. I think I did a second episode. I'm not positive, and was promptly let go and they said it's not so we're not we needed something else, Okay.
Speaker 1: I must have been really heartbreaking.
Speaker 5: To god, I didn't know what I did. If I knew then what it was going to be, I would have been real mad. But then I just knew it was an animated show that I had, and then I didn't have all.
Speaker 1: Right, did they give you reasons, like, did you seek out reasons?
Speaker 7: Not?
Speaker 1: They just said we don't like it.
Speaker 5: It's not the voice we need. So then it's I don't know. Three weeks later they called me back and Matt Greening calls me and he's like, hey, I'm so sorry. We thought we were looking for something and we had it the whole time, you know, like that love, you know, like you were here in front of me the whole time. Uh and you know, he's like, can you cut? Do you mind? Can you forgive us?
Speaker 2: And cut?
Speaker 5: Forgetting? They rehired me, I then record I then record episode two or something like that. Fire me again, and I was like, are you kidding? And hire Katie Cigal?
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I was like that is humble.
Speaker 1: I mean it was, but two times I get it.
Speaker 5: You want something different? I get it, Okay, get it, go get her. We couldn't find her, you're the one. Never mind we found her. So uh So it was harsh, and so I was very mad. So this year the same Futurama and met and and uh family Guy came out the same year. So we were on this bus, like a charter bus, and they're on loop. They're playing the it's a Fox a Charter bus and they're playing the Fox shows this coming this season, and they're showing previews of all the shows and Futurama. They were going hard, hard, hard, like this is the new and like a little snippet afterwards, like in the show Family Guy by Brea Brack. And I remember sitting on the bus with this guy with coke bottle glasses sitting there and I was on the bus and we were waiting for people and we're watching this and I was livid because I was like, Oh, they're really promoting the show. And I looked. I'm like, oh, that show. I'm so annoyed with it. He goes like you're telling me. He goes, I'm I created the other one. Family Guy go really. So we sat next to each other on the bus and just bitched about how much promotion and that was sas and uh and he's like, do you want to do a part? I was like, yeah, I'd love to do some parts, and then cut to he's the most famous and amazing creator of all time.
Speaker 1: Wow he do.
Speaker 2: He's done very well for himself.
Speaker 5: He has done very well.
Speaker 1: So good guy to have as your friend. Nicole.
Speaker 5: Yes, it was. It was again bonded over people we don't like, just like Krystin.
Speaker 2: Yeah he too, he too, he too, yes he.
Speaker 3: When I first met him, we did a UH. And I've probably met him before that, but every time I meet him, he goes. You probably don't remember, but we met before. This was until he became really famous.
Speaker 2: Right, So we did UH. We did robot Chicken together. I know you've done Robot Chicken.
Speaker 3: And we did a sketch where we did ThunderCats, right, and he was he was Lionel and I was UH and I was Mamra, And so we had to do the you know, when you watch it as a director, what's it called the commentary for the DVD?
Speaker 2: They don't. I don't know if they do that anymore. Does that still exist?
Speaker 1: I don't know. I mean some people do it. I never did it for a good person. No one ever asked me to come do commentary, so not always.
Speaker 2: So I didn't know. I didn't know who he was or anything like that.
Speaker 3: And so the whole time they're talking and we're all talking and we're joking, and then my sketch comes on and I'm like, everybody, let's keep you know what I mean, trying to command the room, and but it's it's him, and I didn't know, you know, I don't know what the fuck he was because I hadn't watched Family Guy yet. And and then I remember, I'll never forget it, sitting in my lying down in my bed with uh my girlfriend at the time, and it coming on, and laughing my ass off, and and and realizing that I was in the room with that guy and saying, and I fucking am in there fucking being this pompous like you know, uh uh, you know. It was one of those lessons where you never know who you're in a room. Yeah, you never you never know how big, you know, the world is really really really you know small watch what you say. And I was in there being this fucking bralic, you know, trying to be the life of the party, and the comedy was sitting next to me.
Speaker 2: And I could have, you know, I could have.
Speaker 3: Charmed him and got a job or something like that, but I was too busy trying to be I was too busy trying to be that guy.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the city is filled with those moments.
Speaker 1: You're right, we directly made it on the show when uh, when when he made fun of us all the time on Family Guy, I want to want to Scrubs.
Speaker 5: Yeah, wait, I have a question for you guys. Do when you guys auditioned for Scrubs, Like, did you because back then they you know, you go to the place and for the test, right, did they pair you up during the test or did neither of you test?
Speaker 2: We never met, We hadn't met each other, and we met at the first table read.
Speaker 1: We met read, which was at Christen Bill's house, this house that Bill had moved into. I'm sure you've been there.
Speaker 2: Charlotte was a baby, Charlotte was just born.
Speaker 1: Charlotte was a little baby. And Donald was at the bar getting a drink and he turned around and I heard, Oh, I at my test read with Sarah Chalk. And I was lucky because Bill let us have a rehearsal session together. So we had sort of figured out some chemistry before going in front of all the suits. So when I when I, when I got there, she was like a friendly face, like you know, an anchor.
Speaker 3: That's a testament to what you said earlier. Each one of us got the part because we had somebody rooting for us.
Speaker 2: And in that when it was Bill, you know what I mean. Bill really escorted us to the job.
Speaker 5: Right, and he was Bill Lawrence, but he wasn't Bill Lawrence. Then he could have been he could have been squashed and they've been they could have been like, now we're not using your pick Bill easily of course.
Speaker 1: In fact, in fact, I remember Bill's trying to play it super strategic because he said he has said in the years since, like if I had gone so hard, like this is who I want, they could have revolted against me. I once directed a pilot and uh, you know I I there was down to two young women, and I thought one was better. They were both great, but I thought one was going to be a better lead of the show. And I and I had the echo of Bill in the back of my mind going all right, don't push too hard, because you know that then they're not going to go for it. So I said my piece. They chose the other person, and and the show didn't work. And when it ended, when it was over, they said we should have gone with your person, and I was like, oh, I wish, I wish that we could have gone back and made it again, because we all wasted a lot of time.
Speaker 5: It's it's heartbreaking really when when it goes that way and as a you know in your gut like it's not this is not the and they go just that way and you're like, well, it's not gonna it's not gonna work. I've seen my I have a lot of people friends who are show run and stuff, and I've seen the make casting choices that I'm like, oh.
Speaker 2: No, and you know, let's take a break.
Speaker 1: We'll be right back after these fine words. Do you let your kids watch Family Guy? How old are they?
Speaker 5: Fifteen and seventeen?
Speaker 1: The watch Family Guy?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 5: So they but they don't watch TV.
Speaker 2: Did they watch YouTube? Yeah? Or yeah?
Speaker 1: TikTok problem, Yeah TikTok. Yeah.
Speaker 5: So they see that. I mean they actually they more than oh my god.
Speaker 1: Business.
Speaker 2: Like what are we doing?
Speaker 5: Like what are we even doing?
Speaker 1: Did you get some bummed out? You talk to young people and like what do you watch? And they're like TikTok yeah, And you're like, oh, like you don't watching any of these shows? No, TikTok.
Speaker 5: And if they're watching a movie, which I always think they're not watching My kids are not watching anything full length because I just I've never like they won't even a basketball game that they're like, you know, Laker fans or you know whatever they're they can't even watch it. They leave the room several times that like it's too much in one spot, like it's just a lot for them for their brains. But like even if they're watching a movie, they're doing something on their phone as well.
Speaker 1: I saw this thing on TikTok where if someone's telling a story and they split the screen with some really interesting visual. Yes, so let's say I'm giving a bad example, but it's like someone scraping paint off off a piece of metal. It's like an interesting.
Speaker 5: Visual, like some ASMR type.
Speaker 1: Right now, I know I'm saying. It's not a sound effect, it's visual, right, So it's keeping their attention because they need two different things, because just this person telling a story isn't enough. They need also simultaneously the wacky visual to hold their own.
Speaker 5: I didn't even think that's why. I was like, I don't even know who does that and why they do it. Oh my god, never even encourage me. That's why they do it.
Speaker 2: My kids love that.
Speaker 3: They they not that they love it. They can recognize that ship they're like, Dad, that's just ASMR.
Speaker 2: Man, What are you doing?
Speaker 5: Like?
Speaker 2: You know? That's all that is right. The reason why you like that is because it's a like meaning.
Speaker 1: It sounds interesting.
Speaker 5: But I use the wrong word. But I'm using a SMR for both. I don't know what the visual version of ASMR is, like like stripping paint. Yes, yes, but my.
Speaker 2: Kids they recognize that ship. They look for other things like they look for the dogs and the cats and the jokes like speed that kids speed. I show speed. He's king the World cup. Do you know who I'm talking about?
Speaker 1: Now? You're talking the wrong demo here, buddy, we don't know what the talking about.
Speaker 2: Gosh, there's this kid.
Speaker 1: It's a TikToker.
Speaker 2: He does it all. But the kids love.
Speaker 5: I do love TikTok. I'm not gonna lie. I'm a TikTok fanatic.
Speaker 1: I feel like it's a drug I couldn't have on my phone. I'm learning on my phone too much. I've tried it and I'm going I can't have This is like giving me heroin.
Speaker 5: I've never been a phone. I've never faced in the phone person like I've always and TikTok came along and now I'm like, But here's why I like it. It's because it's no one I know, Like, I don't want to heart someone's photo. I don't want to.
Speaker 2: I don't.
Speaker 5: I don't care. I mean I care. I'm glad you had a great vacation, but I don't want to have to heart and heart and heart and heart like it's so irritating to me, and compare and despair like, I don't want to compare my insides with someone else's outsides. It's just it. It is fraught for depression for me, and I don't want to do it. So I watched TikTok where I don't know anybody and I can't compare myself to whatever's happening.
Speaker 1: It's interesting though that, you know, I saw someone on doing an analysis of what's happening, and it's basically, like, you know, it's all stories, right, So you can have a two hundred million dollar movie that tries to tell a story, or you can have someone with a really intriguing, unique personality staring down the camera telling you a story. And they're all just different versions of someone trying to hold your attention and being really intriguing and charismatic and telling you a story, and these TikTok folks have figured out a way to do it and monetize it by just sitting there engaging you in storytelling. And it's really it's sort of captured. Yeah, you make money if you get above a certain number.
Speaker 5: I just saw for the first time, and I've been doing tikoff. I just I'm not going to remember the math of it, but it's something like, once you hit fifty thousand followers or likes, then if you can keep people for more than a minute, you get paid like between fifty cents and a dollar twenty five per Oh it's funny making.
Speaker 2: Oh got it? Yeah, now I see why it's so popular.
Speaker 1: These big people money. Yeah, I don't know the exactly. I don't know what the exact modernization is.
Speaker 5: That's what someone a TikToker was telling. I mean, who knows that.
Speaker 1: You probably know because he was Now Daniel used to be a Twitch streamer and he would make a little money on his side hustle.
Speaker 2: But yeah, don't join us. Are you still there, Daniel, Daniel, Daniel, do.
Speaker 4: You know the specifics of what TikTokers make? We feel like this is up your alley. I don't know the exact thing, but I think you're making more money on brand deals that you're selling with ads, and what you are selling to them is the kind of interactions you're getting on your stuff. So it's not like I mean, yes, I'm sure there's some sort of like advertising that you're getting for how long people are watching your shit? But it's like you have that data and then you take it to companies and you're like, Yo, Tushy, give me twenty grand and I'll sell one of your bi days on one of my tiktoks.
Speaker 1: What's tushy?
Speaker 2: Toshy?
Speaker 4: The BI day company never had a tushy? No, they make good days, they do. They're quite popular anyway. But that's the point. It's like you're you're selling a bunch of ads, and it's like the bigger you are as a TikTok star, you could be making life.
Speaker 2: Do you know if you can and adjust the water spray?
Speaker 1: What do you know about tushy? Can you move it from your us to your vagina?
Speaker 5: I'm actually shocked, you guys, Zach, And don't you guys, I mean there's there's money. You're leaving money on the table.
Speaker 2: Guys.
Speaker 1: This tushy is a sponsor.
Speaker 5: Find something you like, and then well find something you love.
Speaker 1: We like tushies, Dan, Dan, Was it the same spout that's hitting your anus and your vagina?
Speaker 2: Just you have to kind of.
Speaker 3: See yeah, because listen, if it's just that's dangerous because if it hits the balls.
Speaker 1: Okay, well you want to make sure you don't hit your balls. You just got to aim it right right very you can adjust the spray. It's great what happens that you hit, But what happens if you hit spray vagina and you don't have a vagina, it just blasts your balls.
Speaker 5: I have one, and I will say that the thought of whether or not it's what it's the butt one has goes into the into the JJ has has kept me awake at night. It's like, and is it? But then it doesn't make it any It doesn't matter because it's not that spray coming out. It's not touching. But somehow that, somehow the thought of it weirds me. So I understand that. And I will say that if you press the wrong thing and you're not in the right position, it will spray like it's sprayed out of the sea.
Speaker 2: I got it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so it's possible.
Speaker 1: Well can you use it as a water pic want to make sure that's where do we draw the teeth? And I just hit the vagina and.
Speaker 5: Where did we draw the line?
Speaker 2: That's so true?
Speaker 1: All right on that note, Nicole, you're amazing. Thank you for giving us your time. And you're so funny. We loved you on Scrubs. You made me laugh.
Speaker 5: I love you guys so much. I want to, like, I want to just talk to you guys all the time. I find you so interesting and funny and I'm so happy to know you both like you guys like are just just genuinely kind and hilarious people. And I don't say that about a lot of people.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Nicole Sullen and everyone. Thunderous applause. Thank you so much.
Speaker 5: Thank you guys so much. You're so great being here.
Speaker 1: I like that she's funny.
Speaker 3: No, I like you, you know what though, And she gets and she got raw too, she got real and we had a real conversation about who you know, we do have a circle of friends and we do have a tight knit.
Speaker 2: Group, you know what I mean. And it's well, you could oppress the button. Don't get lazy.
Speaker 7: With it.
Speaker 2: And it's so and sometimes it's good to talk to you know, your friends when working.
Speaker 1: We've known her for such a long time, for such a long time. She's a very good person. I think she's kind and funny and always loving. I agree, And I learned about tushy today. Indeed, Dan, why have you been hiding?
Speaker 2: Why have you been hiding anything? You haven't heard of it?
Speaker 1: A d.
Speaker 8: We possibly can.
Speaker 7: Yo.
Speaker 2: That would be great to have what they would? Would they installed?
Speaker 1: I would like to have them.
Speaker 8: You have to install.
Speaker 4: It's very easy to install.
Speaker 1: I actually have. I I don't mean to see sound like I don't have a toilet with a bidet in it.
Speaker 8: I do.
Speaker 2: I don't.
Speaker 1: I don't like the Toto washlet you got that good one? I have a It's a Toto, but it's all in one. It's not it's not like a separate seat. It's like built into the toilet. Those are the good ones. Yeah, I want one of those one day.
Speaker 2: Yeah? Does feel how does it feel great?
Speaker 1: It feels nice? You know what I'd really like about it is the seat is warm when you sit down.
Speaker 8: The seat is warm.
Speaker 1: That's what's good. And the other thing is you can oscillate, so you put the stream on your anus and then you can hit oscillate and then you just like oscillates on your booty.
Speaker 2: Okay, I need this, I need this now, I need this now, I need this now.
Speaker 1: If there's any if you're worried about any any any any extra little leftovers, it just oscillates on there.
Speaker 2: I need this now.
Speaker 1: It feels nice.
Speaker 2: It sounds like whether it be a finger, whether it be a tongue, whether you know everybody likes.
Speaker 1: Lit as right, it is.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: All right, Joelle? How are you? You barely said anything today? I worry Are you okay?
Speaker 8: Yeah? You know, coming off the birthday celebration, it was a big one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you had a good birth did you.
Speaker 2: You was drinking? It was drink.
Speaker 8: One of my friends is Korean, and she demanded that I drink. We had to set pace. At one point I said, I don't drink this much anymore. It's not college.
Speaker 2: But yeah, it was.
Speaker 8: It was you're stumbling, uh you know, well my bestie was there to get me home, okay, because by the end of the night, really I was like, somebody has to we have to get the pictures, but please, can someone else organize and trying to wrangle fourteen women can be a lot. But we got there and it was so much fun. And you know, I've never been in a position to be able to like take fourteen to my best friends out and like treat them to dinner and like have a whole celebration, and so it was just is like a whole, very really lovely night. And like the rule for the evening was everyone has to feel pretty. There's no like guidance on that. Just as long as you come and you feel gorgeous. That's what I care about. Love that it was lovely.
Speaker 1: I love that I'm going to the Shrinking premiere tonight. Shrinking comes out October sixteenth, So I don't know when this airs, but Shrinking drops October sixteenth on out TV.
Speaker 2: For people have been been out wells watching it and enjoying.
Speaker 1: Well, I hope you're enjoying watching Shrinking. I'm going to see Shrinking tonight.
Speaker 2: Before you guys got to see it, they're going to.
Speaker 1: See showed two episodes and then there's a little after thing fun. So maybe I'm excited because I directed tonight episodes three and four, So I'm really I'm excited about that.
Speaker 2: That is your thing? Huh? You direct like the early episodes. How are your thing is like three, two, three or four? Huh? That's your thing?
Speaker 1: Well, I like to be early. Yeah, I like to be early. Although last season I was eight, number eight, But three and four are really good. I'm really proud of them. They're really good. Not gonna lie.
Speaker 2: You were eight. So when we watched that in the parking lot that time.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I showed you guys in the parking lot on my iPhone.
Speaker 2: We watched the whole episode on you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was funny. Yeah, that was episode eight.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: Wow, the show is really good this year. That's very good. It's really really good.
Speaker 2: Last year.
Speaker 1: You just wait, though, damon, Wayne's juniors on it.
Speaker 2: Let's let's uh, let's keep well. By this time it'll be out.
Speaker 1: So it's good. It's good. Good. So Donald, you don't want to go to Vegas? I guess, huh.
Speaker 3: I really do want to go to Vegas, buddy, But I really, listen, I've spent so much money on this ship that I gotta fucking get it done, and I gotta start and I gotta you know what I mean, And if I go to Vegas, I'm gonna spend more money and I can't afford to do that right now.
Speaker 2: I gotta fucking do this. This is I'm telling you right now.
Speaker 1: Think it might be the subject of my therapy session tomorrow. I'm gonna talk to my shrink about you.
Speaker 2: Why.
Speaker 1: I just feel sad that I try and plan fun things and no matter how much lead lead time I give you, no matter how much prep I give you, you just don't want to do anything.
Speaker 2: I want to do so many things with you.
Speaker 3: This is something that I've listen. I even pulled out all this stuff out today to fucking try and get it ready, and it was like overwhelming and stuff. Bro, I'm sorry. I do want to go to Vegas, but I have to do this. I I have to or I'm fucking I don't.
Speaker 1: Know you're going, ass man. I just miss hanging out with you, that's all.
Speaker 2: Can you do a dinner?
Speaker 1: I plan this whole Vegas trip and donaland Casey here aren't coming. But I'm gonna have a lot of fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah you are. You're gonna fucking enjoy yourself.
Speaker 3: You're gonna be with Bill, You're gonna be with Andrew, You're gonna be with fucking Charlotte. And now you get to invite probably Carrie and Jessica, and you guys get to fucking go and have your freaking little It's all right.
Speaker 1: I'm sure this. Listeners listening who have a friend that they wish would hang out with them, and no matter what they do, they can't seem to get the friend to hang out with them. And at a certain point you just have to say, go with God.
Speaker 2: Don't you do it? Don't you give up on us? Baby?
Speaker 1: All right? What a show you want to be?
Speaker 2: To do?
Speaker 1: A somber five six five six seventy.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: Justice shod all right, my sake, shaminay.
Speaker 1: Stories that show we made about a bunch of talks and nurses in Canada whole I said.
Speaker 2: He's a story next, all s know?
Speaker 1: So gander around you, here, our gatherer around you, here, our scot free show visa