Speaker 1: Native Lampod is a production of iHeartRadio in partnership with Reason Choice Media.
Speaker 2: Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome.
Speaker 1: Welcome, Welcome home, y'all. This is episode thirty eight thirty eight counted of Native Lampid, where we give it to you directly a breakdown of all things that are politics and culture. We are your hosts, Tiffany Cross, Angela Ride Hello, all right, what's up? Everybody up?
Speaker 3: Tiff? What's going on?
Speaker 4: And we're just staff there, you said, Andrew Will he has his staff there, his gardener is oh here.
Speaker 1: Everybody knows I cut my own grass.
Speaker 3: I don't know about that, but you know what we do have I do, Andrew? I do?
Speaker 1: I do?
Speaker 3: I do?
Speaker 1: Do hedges?
Speaker 3: Do do hedges? Well?
Speaker 5: What we got Angela speaking of doodo, Tiff and I we're COVID positive, and Andrew it was not.
Speaker 3: I don't know how that happened. Everybody on the team got COVID apparently from the DNC, and we are now just so social great social was crazy.
Speaker 1: Well well, putting some good in the air for y'all, and.
Speaker 3: It is my negative multiple times.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 3: I'm very happy about that. Can I be honest? With y'all.
Speaker 4: I never tested positive for COVID. I just knew I had no I only at the very beginning I tested negative, but I didn't. I was too weak to even go get a COVID test because I was in my house alone, like I just isolated. But I knew I had it because when I had COVID before, like my my bones apes and like how I felt before was exactly how I felt all week. So I was comatos all week.
Speaker 5: Like I didn't even have any of that. It was crazy. Andrew, you missed this earlier on our on our pre pro call. But then the pre pro call, I was saying I got three boosters. Tip said she got four or five, and I got hit way like less, like I had a little bit of a call for two days. I had sniffles, I was a little congested, but I wasn't anywhere near as wiped out as Tip was knocked out for the count for days for real.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the one time I remember getting it, it had me like that. I mean I was shivers. I had it all. It was crazy, And the good news is is Tiff, I'm gonna put in the mail some of NIM government tests. That guy a bunch. You could an we haven't been surplus. I gotta get you some of those. Well, y'all, I am, and I know the audience is excited that y'all are back. Y'all are full, you know, full force as best.
Speaker 3: You can be.
Speaker 1: You look good. Known the difference, we wouldn't have known the difference, But I am curious to know what is on y'all's mind today. We are beyond labor Day. Things begin to sober and get very real from this point forward, particularly as it relates to the election, and every every day is a new one, and if feels like a lifetime sometimes, and it also feels like we're running out of time.
Speaker 4: So well, I won't say what's keeping me up, because everything keeps me up, but I what we talked about during DNC and the show leading up to this is, I know Angela's been eager to talk about debate prep, which I'm curious both of you guys thoughts, because Angela did debate prep with Andrew worked on his campaign. I've only done debate prep with one candidate. It was Nick Mosby. I worked on his campaign from mayor. But mostly I've been on the journalism side of things. So I wanted to today to talk about the debate because this is the last show that we'll do before there is a debate, and I just we have a lot of thoughts about how Vice President Harris should handle Trump. That's the first thing. The second thing is Angela is owed a dinner to dinners if this debate actually happens, because we had a wager last week that I I'm still not gonna be convinced util I see both candidates hit that stage and Angela is very clear she wants to dinners. It's not just me and Andrew splitting the bill. It's got to be one time. I'm paying for dinner, one time and dinner. So if this debate happens, we need to talk about where we're going to dinner.
Speaker 5: So the bait is going to be our PM Italian And if I get to dinner, I'll also get to pick one of them.
Speaker 3: Is rpm you get to pick both places?
Speaker 1: Yes, our PM Dinners.
Speaker 5: That's what's a really good black owned spot for next week. And I'll tell everybody why we'll be in DC.
Speaker 3: You know what he's talking about exactly.
Speaker 4: The audience can tell us you all please drop us some good black owned restaurants in DC that are nice. Uh, So we can take Angela to dinner if this debate happens, or she'll take us again.
Speaker 3: All black DC restaurants.
Speaker 1: Are nice, Yeah, and don't I don't need nice.
Speaker 5: So that's when I start your pick Andrews my angel bet she wants on this. We're going to be in DC next week because we will be at my favorite place. It is the Black Nerd prom It is the Congressional Black HAWKUS Foundation's annual legislative conference. It is all of our old stomping grounds, really, because this is where I got close to Andrew, This is where I got clostive, and this is where I met a lot of my DC friends and learned like black folks outside of Seattle, where I'm from, and outside of the West Coast, there are some of us that think very similarly. Aren't in our for the upward mobility progression of liberation of our people? And this is that time of the year where black folks come together to talk about policy, and we will be there doing a live podcast. We got Asked, be answered. We will be live streaming from the Congressional Black Caucus Foundations ALC.
Speaker 3: So we can't wait to see.
Speaker 1: You, I said, black nerd prom I apologize, but I feel like it's like black homecoming, HBC homecoming, certainly for I guess nerds if we're embracing that, you know.
Speaker 4: Yes, And I've been a part of many conversations where we rank black conferences, like what's what's the dopis, what's the ones you dope is like? And how you describe each of them. I think that would be a good mini pob Maybe not for this week, but one week.
Speaker 3: Many problems can I say.
Speaker 4: I know we got to get into the show, but I just want to tell a really quicklyick quick story. Angel I don't know if you remember this. I remember when you got the job as executive director of the Congressional Black Caucus. Now there's the foundation, which hosts the conference annual legislative conference, and then there's the Legislative Body, which is where Angela works.
Speaker 3: Organization member service organization.
Speaker 4: And you were I've always been bad with my phone, but we were trying to connect and you were like, call me, call me, call me. And I took like days to hit you back, and finally we met at say it used to be this little spy in Chinatown and we were sitting at the bar and I was like, yeah, girl, like what's going on? And you were like, Oh, I'm going to be the new executive director to CBC. And I thought it was the coolest job. I thought that was so awesome. I was so excited for you, and you were like I was trying to call you to tell you, and we talked all about it. What year was that, I don't even remember.
Speaker 5: That was. I became CBCED in twenty ten, so it's twenty ten.
Speaker 4: Yeah, But I just I remember that moment thinking like that's so major because the person who had the job before he was kind of like this King of DC type figure, you know, and I was like a young person moving here in like two thousand and two thousand and one, and I was like, I can't believe Angel was going to be like that person taking the helm. And it seems honestly like six months ago. It also seems like a lifetime ago, you know.
Speaker 3: It's so it is a lifetime ago.
Speaker 5: And I do want to shout out the person who was immediately before me was Patrece Willoughby and she now runs policy for the Double A CP and no, no, no, it's okay. The thing that you guys have is an Ohio connection, Tip and she loves the podcast.
Speaker 3: So Patrise, we love you, and just shouting you out.
Speaker 5: There are a lot of I was no, no, no, I know you were anywhere. I just wanted to make sure I shouted her out too. But yeah, we have a number of folks who've been in that role. She she knows you to charge the sake we oh so sometimes we must even Tip who has the memory of a dog one elephant.
Speaker 3: Sometimes that's up.
Speaker 1: But yes, I do know I as long as the current one.
Speaker 5: Vince Evans, Yeah, it's all kind of problems happening today.
Speaker 3: And here.
Speaker 1: I corrected that. You see how I corrected that before you.
Speaker 3: Vince, we love you.
Speaker 5: He worked on Andrew's campaign, He worked on Kamala's camp. He was a political director for Kamala Harris and he went to go work with Joyce Batty and he's still there with Congressman Stephen Horsford, who's the chair through the end of the year. Anyway, besides getting all the CBC is now used called the Black Nerve Prime for policy, We'll move right into the show.
Speaker 3: Andrew Gillip, you got the flow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, y'all that bars. I see the floor, I see the flowruption I I I accept the challenge of going into this debate. Obviously, we will not be simulating a debate for you. We lost that battle stimulate the debate.
Speaker 3: I did not want to be here. Angela wanted us and kick Tiff out.
Speaker 1: That is good enough.
Speaker 3: I will tune in the moderator. You got to be the moderator. I could be the moderator. Moderator, as.
Speaker 4: I was going to say a lot of my questions, I don't know if there would be things that y'all would want to weigh in on, be.
Speaker 3: Like next question please, of.
Speaker 1: Course we would. But you know what the funny thing is is that I think it's important that people also understand as we prepare for the debate, that a lot of what is happening on that stage between those two people is a highly choreographed not to say inauthentic, it's because you get real individuals. But and you all may agree or disagree with me here, but that debates are really intended to say a certain thing, communicate a certain thing to a certain audience, and you're not necessarily talking to the entire audience every time you give a response, and I just thought it was it put me in the mind of the speech by VP Harris or acceptance speech on that Thursday night, where you know, you had different crowd to responding differently to different things that she had to say. It was all, well, why does she have to give credit to that first? Why couldn't we start at this point? And you know, I kept trying to at least tell people who I know who are not as sort of politically engaged and involved, that this is really a highly choreographed, in intricate, you know, dance that the candidate is doing with the voter, especially when you consider y'all the recent polling that's come out that shows that we're pretty much, you know, level set, game set we are. We're in a dead heat, and I think a lot of us are really drunk off excitement as we should be at a PEP rally slash sales meeting for our candidate. But it really is time to buckle down here. And I think that the debate happening next week is going to be just one of those I think very important and key indicators because it may be the only debate that we'll see these two individuals on the same stage. Should have happened.
Speaker 3: Do you think it's going to happen?
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, I think at this point I will accept it that.
Speaker 3: It will right right a week, he's you know, he's gonna give it.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna win Dixie. I'm going to win Dixie. A budget as it relates.
Speaker 5: To that, I'm not really worried about it. You're gonna have to turn to your card.
Speaker 4: But yeah, a lot of.
Speaker 1: They took all those away remembers.
Speaker 5: Oh sorry, I didn't mean to trigger you. I think you do have an credit card. I've seen it.
Speaker 3: But I'm going to move right along.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because I wonder Angela, like, how many people actually watch presidential debates. Now, this one I think will be an anomaly because there's enthusiasm around this campaign now, right now that Vice President Harris is at the top of the ticket. I think it will be something to see. I do not think this debate is going to really slay any voter. I don't think that they're going to necessarily expand their base. I honestly, you know, I know, like white run newsrooms are always talking about these mysterious swing voters. I really have my doubts if they exist, if you are on the fence about these two very different candidates, with very different policy platforms, with very different life experience, with very different perspectives and points of view and personalities. I begged somebody to explain to me how that person is a possible swing voter. Even the networks have gotten caught with their pants down, so to speak, because they've had people on there who are like, no, no, no, I said, I was a Trump supporter, and they still put me on this panel as though like an independent voter or an undecided voter. So I just I don't know what the debate will result in in terms of expanding the the base. At most, maybe it will impact GLTV H, you know, people getting out the vote.
Speaker 3: But what do you all think?
Speaker 5: I think you know, first and foremost, I think it's important to acknowledge that the two choices aren't just Trump and Kamala Harris. There are also third party candidates in some states. For example, RFK, who has dropped out, will not be removed from the ballots in Wisconsin. In Michigan, which is favorable to the Democratic Party, I don't know what's going on with Jill Nim but that also could be a factor. And then finally, the factor that we all know and talked about on this podcast, especially when Joe Biden was on, is apathy and whether or not people decide to go out or not. So if people see themselves reflected enough, or they get excited enough about change or something different, they very well could go out. And one of the things that I would love to do here is play one of the clips that I think that will work very well for Kamala Harris in the debate if she is able to double down here, and it is about what she knows about Donald Trump.
Speaker 3: Let's roll that sound.
Speaker 6: Before I was elected as Vice president, before I was elected as United States Senator, I was the elected Attorney general, as I've mentioned to California, and before that, I was a courtroom prosecutor.
Speaker 3: In those roles, I took on perpetrators of all.
Speaker 7: Kinds, creditors who abused women, fraudsters who ripped off consumers, cheaters who broke the rules.
Speaker 3: For their own game.
Speaker 6: So hear me when I say I know Donald Trump's type.
Speaker 1: So Angela, I love, love, love that clip, and I remember that speech. Let's on the other side of this break Payson bills and then come back with some reactions amongst the panel.
Speaker 5: So I wanted to roll that because what has happened is that has played so well well for Kamala Harrison the campaign. They have used that same line, that same refrain over and over again.
Speaker 3: We see that happen in the black church often like that.
Speaker 5: Thing where the whole you know, the church rubs, the congregation of rubs.
Speaker 3: People keep tapping back into that.
Speaker 5: What I want to make sure that she does is not necessarily go specific to the I know Donald Trump's type line, but to double down as I am the prosecutor and he is the comp what he should be the convict.
Speaker 3: He is the one who's facing sentencing.
Speaker 5: We have said often since twenty sixteen that he's teflon Don because nothing sticks.
Speaker 3: This time, things seem to be sticking.
Speaker 5: And so what I really want Tamila Harris to do is double down and get in his head. She needs to be treating this week and plus before this debate as the opportunity to ready herself as a boxer would before.
Speaker 3: This biggest match.
Speaker 5: Get in his head, like start calling him Don the Khan, start saying, you know, I was a prosecutor. I used to prosecute John's Donald Trump is one of them. I used to prosecute fraudsters. Donald Trump is one of them. I used to prosecute folks who lied on their business forms to ensure that they collected more fees, more money from folks who they stole from contractors. I know the type, and that is Don the Khan, and that is, unfortunately, who I have to stand on the debate stage with. It is a waste of my time, but I'm going to do this for the American people so you all can see the contrast.
Speaker 3: That's where I really want her to be.
Speaker 5: For some folks, they would say, especially in the Democratic Party, that's below the bell.
Speaker 3: You need to when they go low, we go hi.
Speaker 5: Michelle Obama through it out the window, and so should Kamala Harris.
Speaker 3: For this debate.
Speaker 5: She needs to go low, strike him so low that the ref doesn't know if it was below the belt or not. She needs to be doing that starting now, and I think she should do that in her opening remarks.
Speaker 3: Of the debate.
Speaker 1: Tiffany, what do you think would be the fatal flaw in her performance? If, as I suspect, the Republicans are planning to throw her off her game. She's been pretty even, she's been pretty in control. She has controlled much of the environment in which she has talked about him. This will be different. Yeah, And if you're Donald Trump, your job is also to throw her off her game so that she can look like what to the American people.
Speaker 4: So I think he's been trying to figure out how to throw her off her game. What I think he doesn't realize on what the American people will soon see is black women are so used to people throwing us off our game that we have learned to have a plastered smile on my face, on our face while saying f you the entire time. I don't think he's going to be able to to be quite honest, she has stood to Angelo's point. She has faced off with people in the courtroom. She has faced off against political opponents. She's quite frankly one more elections than he has. So I would say even by her kind of rising above some of his insults, that is enough. That's not maybe not enough, but that is definitely something that will also get in his head. I take Angelo's point about you know us this week to get in his head and and you know, kind of deliver these punches at him and these insults to him. Well, you could argue they're not insults, they're actually just factional or statements. Yeah, I would say what we have to remember is when she is speaking, she is speaking to the globe. She is not just speaking to voters here in America. She is speaking to President she of China, she is speaking to President Modi of India, she is speaking to Angela Merkel like. She is speaking to global leaders who are going to be looking to her for her temperament because they are eager to bring some sense of normalcy and confidence back to the American positioning on the globe. So I think she has to navigate that carefully. I have no doubts about her ability to be able to do that. Again, it's the duality of our kind as black women. I think she will be able to throw a punch at Donald Trump and also speak to even like the global markets, you know, the financial markets, who will also be looking at this debate. It's a very serious time and serious issues. So this idea of like slinging insults back and forth at each other, I really hope that she doesn't traffic in that, but that she keeps it to just stating the facts about him and answering the questions that the way that she wants to answer them without stooping to his level. But I want to be clear, I am of the mindset that, yeah, go low. I don't mean go low in the sense of, you know, don't go gut her, but go low in the sense of, I know how to throw a punch back at you. Don't come for me if I didn't call for you, because I'm gonna win this battle. And if you ever had your soul snatched by a black women, you know we can do it in very articulate and intellectual ways. We don't have to snap our fingers and roll our necks. We know how to do it in a way that we are professional, and it's still cuts cuts you off at the jugular.
Speaker 3: I want to make sure I'm clear, Andrew. I want to. I want to, I want to.
Speaker 5: I don't want to cut you off, but I want to make sure I'm not talking about neck rolling and snapping at all, so I know.
Speaker 4: You are and I'm okaying as black women, how yeah, can we can do that without without doing all the extra it's housewives.
Speaker 3: Yep, I don't want to at all.
Speaker 5: I would say even the even the poort that you just point you made about she's speaking to the globe.
Speaker 3: She ain't speaking to the globe before.
Speaker 5: She's speaking to this vote, these voters that she needs to get to turn out in me.
Speaker 3: She's speaking to.
Speaker 4: The globe every time she speaks.
Speaker 5: I understand saying that she will not be speaking to the globe as commander in chief if she can't speak to these people, to the she needs to turn out in the next sixty days. So she's got to figure out a way, just like every other candidate and every other president before her has had to figure out a way to navigate both worlds. We are in the fight of our lives. She can't play this as politics as usual because they're unusual politics, right anyway, Andrew, you were going to go in and then I know, we have a bunch of other clips to run.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, you know. So, I think she's got a couple of things that she's got to accomplish and also be weary of this in this debate one, I think very much.
Speaker 7: So.
Speaker 1: She is going to have to demonstrate a mature temperament that doesn't also feel above the room. So what I mean by that is is, yeah, Trump is going to throw some things out there, but my guess is is that they're not going to be when did you decide to be black? I think it's going to be something like, but you're a flip flopper. You said this da da da da da da da da da, and now you've changed your mind and now you're this, this, this is that and a third And he'll do it in a very you know, you know, second raid, pouty mood, no offensive powerting second graders for the comparison, but you know Trump is going to do it in a in a in a juvenile way. But the point he will be making will be likely a fair punch and also likely delivered in a way that will be highly irritating. And I think when I say she's going to have to well, well, if he wants to say you've changed your position and example, yeah, I'll use fracking for instance. She was opposed to to fracking, which is the process of drilling deep below the Earth's surface and unleashing gases and oils, making it easier for folks to basically scout it, bring it out of the ground monetize it. She's been against that as in her previous positions all the way up into her run for president, but as Attorney general of the state of California, she even sued the Obama administration because of some of the fracking practices that were that were unleashed. That being said, I'm certain she can deliver a line that basically says that I learn every day. My values, however, as she has already said, have not changed. I still believe in global warming. I still believe that we've got to control carbon emissions in this country. And what I've evolved on is that there are a lot of strategies to get us there. And but but by the way, let's talk about you and where you've been on this, and and then basically level him in that. And that was going to be my point too, about what she's got to be able to do. One meet him in the room, but not go above the room. And sometimes what that means is having to cut him at the knees without a neck roll, without a roll of the eye, without without about that. No, all I'm saying is I've seen her move her body weight from one heel to the other and it gives this look that only a black mother can that that that you're on the receiving end of. And it is a leveling look all are.
Speaker 4: But are you saying that's wrong, like you don't want her to do that?
Speaker 1: Because that, to me is what I'm giving is I think she's going What I'm what I think she is going to do is point two slice him by basically making this always a comparison. I never want to see her alone in any one question that is posed to her answering that question about herself without also tying it to what his record is on whatever that issue is. Elections are choices, and we cannot leave it to the American people. This panel us, who are highly informed to be able to know on every contradiction that they may want to throw at her, that he doesn't have the same contradiction or worse, or that his position isn't worse than where she is on that issue. And the only way that will be accomplished it will not be through the moderators. It's going to be through her basically saying this, this is where I am, and I'm unchanging and my values and principles on this, but let's talk about where you are, and I think that was missing a bit from her interview that she did, her first interview that she did the other night with Dana Is. She did say where she was and I've evolved and I've grown in da da da da, But she didn't go back to the reframe of where is my opponent on these things? Where is Donald Trump on these issues? He doesn't believe in climate change, and he wants to through his Supreme Court appointments, allow the goddamn regulated to regulate themselves, to set the rules for themselves. So I think everything has to be a one two and her response about her record ought to be done in thirty seconds, and the other minute thirty ought to be on him.
Speaker 5: You know, to that point the Dana Bash interview that you just referenced, there was something else that came up in that interview that I was really really frustrated by.
Speaker 3: But the question wasn't the thing that frustrated me most. It was actually her response. And we.
Speaker 5: We have a clip of where this first came up, and this is what Dana played to Karmala Harris for her to respond to you said, you don't think her blackness is going to come up, I disagree.
Speaker 3: Let's roll this down.
Speaker 8: I've known her a long time, indirectly, not directly very much, and she was always of Indian heritage, and she was only promoting Indian heritage.
Speaker 3: I didn't know she was.
Speaker 8: Black until a number of years ago when she happened to turn black.
Speaker 3: And now she wants to be known as black.
Speaker 1: So I don't know is she Indian or is she black?
Speaker 3: She is always college.
Speaker 8: I respect either one, but she obviously doesn't because she was Indian all the way and then all of a sudden she made a turn and she went she became a black. Just to be clear, I think somebody should look into that too when you ask a continue in a very hostile, nasty town.
Speaker 3: So here's the theme.
Speaker 5: I hope that when this comes up in the debate, because again he is going to try to get in her head, which is why I want her to get in his head. Starting now, when this comes up in the debate, I want her to say I want to remind the American people that this was the birther in chief. This is the same person that questioned the citizenship of Barack Obama, who was born in Hawaii. I want to remind the American people that even in his own party, this is someone who questioned the citizenship and the identity of Nikki Hayley, someone who was a Trump appointee. This man has a problem with anyone who is other than exactly what.
Speaker 3: He looks like.
Speaker 5: And I'm not going to stand here and defend who I know I am as a black woman and an Indian woman. I Am going to stand here and tell you what I am about, what I am for, and who I am for, and that is the entirety of the American people, the full diversity of the American people. Whereas this person wants to continue to promote the fear, the xenophobia, the racism that he's trafficked in since he was president and frankly before he was president.
Speaker 3: She really deals with that and addresses it head on.
Speaker 5: During the interview, she said, I'm not gonna it's the same old playbook, but she didn't specify the playbook. We have to treat the American people like they haven't followed all of that. Some folks really don't know. They're just getting familiar with Donald Trump. They're voting for the first time. What did he do and why call him out on those things call him out on why he actually doesn't see us as all a part of this big family, this big tent.
Speaker 3: That's not what he sees.
Speaker 5: He wants to other us to the point of trafficking in white fear. Those are the same people that marched up to the Capitol on January sixth, who he and Bolden who.
Speaker 3: He is one of them? And she needs to make that really clear, I think in the debate when it comes, because I.
Speaker 4: Just want to say really quickly, just make sure listening to this and not watching this. Angela was referencing that because Dana Bash played it as a clip in her interview that was, of course the interview from the National Association of Black Journalists. And I have to say every time I see it, I freaking cringe that he was invited into that space. But anyway, go ahead, Andrew.
Speaker 1: You know I just so first of all, I like where you landed that, Angela, and I do think should she have to go directly at it, that where she wants to land is where everybody else is, and that this is positive as you know, again this throwback vision, this throwback man, this old outdated scale, you know, rerun of a figure who wants to be our president, incapable of taking us into the future, wants to live here. Well, the rest of us. We want to live in a house we can afford. We want groceries we can afford, so on and so forth. I think I have to tell you on reflection, sometimes I think about my own race and how race was thrown in there, and how and truth what I knew about it was the more they were able to keep white people's concentration on my race, the worse it was for me. That I needed to move them beyond a conversation about about race. And I would imagine the Vice President Harris is getting similar advice, which is probably why she did the shrug. And it's beneath my station to respond in kind to that man, is that she's probably getting similar advice and feedback that in these seven key states that will matter the most and will decide the election, the people who look like him are going to be the ones in many ways making, you know, making that decision in some ways. And so I think she's probably getting different guidance, and I can understand what that guidance is based off of what we know. When race is put in the four brain of folks and how it can be weaponized.
Speaker 5: The second thing is, Andrew, you didn't and you didn't run from your race, and you didn't when it did come up, you addressed it head on and you pivot it quickly.
Speaker 3: She can address it head on and pivot quickly. But for her to not address it, the crazies who.
Speaker 5: Look like us are using it as an opportunity to say she see she doesn't identify as a black woman.
Speaker 3: Shut that down. You have to shut the noise down on both sides, and you did that very effectively.
Speaker 4: I just think the mat Andrew, I just as a refresher for our audience. I would love to play the moment that race came up in your debate, Andrew, on the other side of this break, we're going to see how race came up in your debate and how you addressed it because it was such an iconic moment.
Speaker 3: So don't go anywhere. We'll see you on the other side.
Speaker 1: Mister DeSantis has spoken.
Speaker 6: Hey.
Speaker 9: First of all, he's got neo Nazis helping him out in the state. He has spoken at racist conferences. He's accepted a contribution and would not return it from someone who referred to the former president of the United States as a Muslim nigg e R. When asked to return that money, he said, no, he's using that money to now fund negative ass Now I'm not calling mister Desanta's a racist.
Speaker 1: I'm simply saying the racist believe he's a racist. Far Still, I don't know if they played it long enough. But what kind of it still catches me about that is his very delayed reaction.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, Andrew, that I get goose bumps hearing that. But I'm curious to hear from you because I'm looking at that version. Let me just say, we age beautifully, Andrew. You've always been a good looking guy, and you look good there. But I have to say you look great now. I think that's one of the things about us as a people, how we age. Even Donald was shocked to find out the vice president here is with sixty It's like you got to find out a whole lot about black folks.
Speaker 1: You know what's funny. I was looking at that clip and I was thinking, I cannot believe I sat in the chair and let them spray paint my head. I was I was in it right here.
Speaker 5: Well, you might not be able to tell but jo Sis had him in a choke hold on the makeup too, because I was like, what you're not about to do is make it.
Speaker 1: Let me what the good news is is. I think from that I will say that there's not much I would actually I wouldn't change anything about that question. That response one. I was appreciative that the journalists laid up the question bloaded with the facts, right. He didn't just throw a simple thing out there. Are you racists or aren't you? You know? He he, He gave the the facts they're due. But I will say there were points at points on the on the race where I was doing interview after interview after interview television, I just sit down on the chair and feed me into all these different studios. Everyone wanted to ask me something about race, and I bit every time. And what I in retrospect probably would have thought a little bit more through is I think I would have used maybe those occasions more often to point out what this man's record and what he would have done to people of color, to minorities, to the majority of people in the state of Florida, rather than allowing his statements and his hatred and vitriol to sort of live, you know, a little bit longer, either in that segment or beyond. And that's why I'm saying I do think in this debate there is an answer. I think black people want to hear people of color and people from marginalized places, folks who have I want the Michelle Obama response right when approaching the mountain, all of us didn't get an escalator, right, that was just you and y'all. But I also recognize that that message can't be delivered from everybody, any time in it, at any audience. I think she will have to be particular about that, and I don't think it has anything to do with her one to separate from man black. I think she wholly embraces what that is, and I know the botch you're talking about here on the internet. But I also think think that the more she can trivialize this man, yes, and not create common calls between white folks who may think they've got something in common with this guy in that way, I don't want her to create the common cause. And I think giving that too much air has the propensity for frankly overplaying it. I think she ought to demure in a way that makes him look miniature, like he doesn't deserve to be seated at this table.
Speaker 4: But I think he was doing that himself, to be quite honest, and I think he does it every single time. Angela, I think you would agree that he makes himself look unworthy of the seat. I think the question, that's my point. The question is to his followers, there's nothing this man can do that they will accept. They would rather, like I say, see this country burn to the ground before they see a black woman run it.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 4: I don't think that the moderators will do. Vice President has any such favors. The moderator will be David Muir from ABC who hosts World News tonight, and Lindsay Davis, who is an excellent journalist. Yes, and I'm happy to see a black woman in that spot. I hope that they do a great job like this moderator did and present facts and also fact check the candidates, because that's something that's grossly missing and it's something that the American people, quite frankly deserve. My question to you two, how do you think that will go over for Vice President Harris? Should she say on that debate stage, I'm not saying anything about Donald Trump being a racist, but racist see him as a racist?
Speaker 3: Is that a line that can work for her?
Speaker 1: Well, I think it may not work for him, because we all know he is a pretty devout racist. I mean there's no there's no screen, there's no anything to him, So it would seem almost untruthful. Right, I ain't calling you a racist? Well, no, she is a racist, right like the bar is all already said, we know who you, but where you, where you, where you where? You mistake yourself and you mistake the rest of us. Is you think all of us are that beneath the floor, all of us are that low down that you can trigger the issue of race, and all of a sudden have a majority of Americans standing by you and with you and cheering for you. And guess what that isn't the America that I know. That isn't the America I believe in. That isn't the one that has allowed me to you know, ascend to you know, whatever the position is. And however she wants to give again an embrace to the nation. She did it when she said, only in America could my story be possible? That Obama said similarly.
Speaker 4: That's a slippery slope, Andrew, because I listen she she will asked this question before about is America a racist country? And I think a majority of black folks are with her, like we understand the game. We've all had to be ambidextrous this way and navigate how we present answers and facts for the comfort of folks. To be quite frank, I do wonder when we say these things like only in America could my story be possible? Also only in America? Could Donald Trump's story be possible in America? That we re worse white mediocrity? Why I didn't say only in America and especially in America, because not only in America. So yeah, I wonder if she can navigate that, if she can point out, like, yes, this man is a racist and we're navigating a racist infrastructure. How does that enhance her campaign? How does that play with the voters out there? How does that play with these Republicans who are think she does it?
Speaker 1: I mean if I did it, if I were her and she wanted to lean into this in some way to say she ate some of this appetite that's out there for her to speak more directly to it is Donald Trump, you know, regardless of how I feel about him being a racist or whether America agrees with me in that regard. It has absolutely nothing to do with what he's going to do every single day to help every day American people afford to keep a roof over their head, food on the table, maybe save up for enough money to take a vacation every once in a while. Right, So I would say, bring it back, put him in the corner, put his time out, but always bring it back to what you're going to do for the American people. We don't benefit by a race debate between the two of them. He isn't even intelligent enough to engage in that in any real way. And I don't trust the media to do it wholeheartedly. I trust them to be frankly pretty tepid with it. And that leaves a big lift for her. And I just don't think that the lesson that we need her to be giving next week is going to be a lesson on race.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly her physical space. He did stage with Harry.
Speaker 4: If he gets in her physical space, which I do not put it beyond him, we'll see.
Speaker 3: I don't know why that.
Speaker 4: I'm sure they'll have, you know, very opposite ends of the podium and microphones. But if he does walk over and get in her physical.
Speaker 1: I hope she doesn't ignore him, right, Like, how.
Speaker 3: Should she address that? And do we think that will even happen?
Speaker 1: I think she ought to dress him up and down with her.
Speaker 3: I would think, give me fifty feet.
Speaker 1: Like I would almost step back, like you know, That's what.
Speaker 3: I'm saying, got him like the clown he is. I think we got to her.
Speaker 1: I think it's possible. That's what I think is the genius Angela. I agree with you. I think that's the genius in her ability is. I think she will do some undressing in a way that won't seem tasteless and then.
Speaker 5: Address and avoid. And that's my only point. Like we ran one of the clips. I think y'all have clips too. We ran one of them, and I'm saying that she has to address the thing head on. There are people who are on the margins that aren't decided because of that this dream that you the place where this is the only place in the world where her story could be possible. She has to convey it's the American people that they are the key to her fulfilling the rest of.
Speaker 3: The American dream.
Speaker 5: Debates are for several things, to draw contrasts, to talk about records, to fact check, and most of the time that ends up being on the candidates because especially with the debate, the Presidential Commissions on Debates or whatever it's called, they told them the moderators they don't have to fact check anymore. It's an opportunity for her to show leadership. People have said for the last several years they haven't seen enough of Kamala. We know that some of that is because the media hasn't gone lives for some of the events that she's done. The other thing that it does is show oratory prowess. Kamala Harris has demonstrated that in presidential debates. In primary presidential debates, she did it with Joe Biden, had a very significant moment that was about race. So I think that she has to lean into her strengths. It has to ring true and be authentic to who she is, and we cannot try to conform her into the female version of Barack Obama or the black woman version of Joe Biden.
Speaker 3: They need to let her be her. She can close an argument. That is what she's done for many years.
Speaker 5: She is the most qualified person to ever run for president, show people why that's all I say that.
Speaker 1: I believe that, and I don't just say it. I don't think. I don't think one thing means you can't do the other.
Speaker 5: There just is a lot on this podcast about why she needs to avoid race, and I think that is actually being very difficult.
Speaker 1: I don't. I don't. I don't mean to say avoid race. I would avoid a lecture of the American people about it because I don't think they find themselves in that equation. I don't think they see themselves at the end of that Why you just went through this whole thing and you're doing what about my assurance? And because people are interested in what have you done for me lately? And whether she takes umbrage at him, you know, throwing an insult.
Speaker 5: It's not that she has to throw an insult that I guess.
Speaker 3: I definitely hear you on that tip. I agree.
Speaker 5: I'm not talking about her throwing insults that are She just was saying she needs to talk policy. I talked about contrast record. All those things are policy based. I'm saying she cannot go on here and not hit him. I'm not talking about undeserved hits. I'm talking about deserved hits that are policy based, that are fact based, that plant people in where.
Speaker 3: Like what the contrast really is anyway, Tip, I wanted to defer.
Speaker 4: Well, I agree with all that, and and I think I honestly think that she has the skills the skill set to do that.
Speaker 3: I do, Yeah, I want to.
Speaker 4: I think black folks are overwhelmingly with her, you know, I know, we talked about all people saying she's not black. I do not believe there are actual active people who are registered voters, who are quote unquote swing voters who question her blackness. I think, if you want to cite that, those are social media people say that on social media. Those are thoughts maybe real life people who we don't have any record of if they're registered to vote or not. So I'm not sure that her spending time, you know, convincing about her blackness or her you know, throwing blows to Donald Trump will be as effective as her talking to what her policy plan is and how it directly impacts the people, whilst with an st also throwing a punch at him in a very intellectual way, which I believe that she can. I think there are a lot of things happening across the globe that impact directly policy here in America, and one of those things that will definitely come up is the border. So I know we're coming up on a break. On the other side of this break, though, I want to get into something that happened this week in the Northern Triangle of Central America and talk about what I think Donald Trump will bring up on the global stage and have a SoundBite that he brought up specifically with it was either Joe Biden Hillary Clinton. Will figure it out when we play the sound bite on the other side of this break, So don't go anywhere.
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 2: Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome.
Speaker 6: Hillary Clinton.
Speaker 8: In terms of having people come into our country, we have many criminal illegal aliens. When we want to send them back to their country, their country says we don't want them. In some cases they're murderers, drug lords, drug problems, and they.
Speaker 1: Don't want them.
Speaker 8: And Hillary Clinton, when she was Secretary of State, said that's okay, we can't force it into their country. Let me tell you, I'm going to force them right back into their country. Their murderers and some very bad people, and I will tell you very strongly. When Bernie Sanders said she had bad judgment, she has really bad judgment. Because we are letting people into this country that are going to cause problems and crime like you've never seen. We're also letting drugs pour through our southern border at a record clip, at a record clip, and it shouldn't be allowed to happen.
Speaker 4: So fact check that was not true at the time, nor is it true today. And I think it's important for the moderators. I don't even think the should be the responsibility of the candidate, but the moderators to correct that record because you constantly hear migrant crime. First of all, it is not illegal aliens, it's undocumented immigrants. I hope nobody out there parents's talking points, but it's just not true. The data doesn't show it. Law enforcement agencies don't show that this uptick and crime due to undocumented migrants here. But I wanted to bring this up because you guys may have heard, or maybe you didn't, that the United States seized the airplane of outgoing President Moduro of Venezuela, and I want to say one that was just the most gangster ish I had seen in a long time the United States straight up like the repollman and went and got this dude's plane and took it. They say, because he was in violation of sanctions. Now, Maduro, I say, outgoing president, because in the last presidential election, his opponent got more than half the votes than Maduro Gonzalez is the legitimate president that the United States is recognizing. I think no one has said this. This is just me reading several articles on this and drawing my own conclusion. I think that the United States is applying pressure to Maduro, saying you better accept these election results and get out because clearly we're tilting our thumb on the scale for Gonzales. Why this matters here is because the border is a huge challenge. It's a talking point. Democrats were not talking about the border ten years ago. This is a problem with them playing defense and having to respond to things because the Republicans can invent something being an issue that wasn't an issue, and then all of a sudden, our whole policy platform is changing. I think they're saying, you got to get out of office and let Gonzales take over, or we're going to make more problems for you. His plane is the equivalent to Air Force one. It would be like China coming over here taking Air Force one and Air Force two saying, yop, y'all allw us too much money, We're taking it now. If they cleared that, because Venezuela is a pretty much it's it's emptied out. The biggest gang in Colombia right now are Venezuelan's And you guys may remember Hugo Chavez who hated Bush. Venezuela used to have so much money, they were swimming in money. And then I don't know if you remember Andrew at the u N when Chavez was on there.
Speaker 3: He was like, do y'all smell that.
Speaker 1: Smell was just here.
Speaker 3: They hated Bush like they were so they.
Speaker 1: Went low America giving.
Speaker 4: They were bawling, and now they are a distraught country. And so this is an example of how what happens over there is impacting what happens here, because if these countries were functional, and if they were not impacted by global policy, including American policy, that would slow down migrants crossing into the border who are desperate. Some of these places are narco states, meaning the drug lords are pretty much running the government, and these mothers are desperate. So I would love to hear Vice President harrisonince this was something that was in her portfolio as vice.
Speaker 1: President exactly Tiffany, because I think a lot of people confuse that they keep saying she was in charge of the immigration at the border, but her assignment was different.
Speaker 4: Yes, she was focused on policy in the countries of nor the home countries of where she was. She was never responsible for standing out on the border with a flashlight like, Oh no, you don't like that's ridiculous, But that is how elementary the Republican talking points are that they presented that way to people. Look, I'm not trying to say that the border is not a challenge. It most certainly is a challenge. These cities do not have the resources to continue to have the influx of the undocumented. We are not a heartless country. We ought to you know, make this, you know, support people however we can. But if we can make these or help make these countries stable, that will will impact a lot of what happens here. And it's really sad to me because we played a lot of sound on this show from people in Chicago to New York talking about how frustrated they are with the migrants coming in, and I just want us to be careful about pitting these communities against each other and really having a solid understanding of what's happening and how this exactly impacts us. Angela, I think you when we talked about fifty cent and Mayor Adams when he was giving out the cards to people, they were like black owned businesses in New York, Yes, yes, And Angela made the point these are black owned businesses, like this was helping everybody, but people read the headline and not the story and didn't really understand it. So I think this is going to be something that comes up on the debate stage, and I hope that she's able to address it. I hear your point, Angela about the media didn't really cover her, but I would also say broadcast maybe didn't, but she was covered and people have to take responsibility for getting that information. You know, she was not at the top of the ticket, she wasn't the president. And people who are like, well, we don't know her, we haven't heard from her, well, you know, a part of that is you have to go out and get information. You have to have some intellectual curiosity about her and the policies that she makes. I know people disagree with me on this. Me and Jamal Samos always argue about this. It's like, you can't blame the voters, I blame I blame us a little bit.
Speaker 3: You can.
Speaker 5: But at the end of the day, she has sixty one days left. So you can either take the time that sixty one days to tell them what they should know, or you can inform them. And this is going to be a really large audience for them to understand what was in your portfolio? Vice President Harris? What were those accomplishments? Can we hear about those? Because sadly we didn't read the papers we should have read. Sadly we didn't see it covered on the channels we watched. So what did you actually do? It's her opportunity not to scold them, but to bring them into the fold.
Speaker 1: So, Angela, if the dress down is like we saw with Hillary, Trump gets up there on basis this murdered people because of Biden and Harris, and you know what they've done, led to such and such and such and such, all the hyper stuff that we saw him do, just their line out of his ears, right, But I suspect it's going to be the same kind of thing that he will do in this upcoming debate. How does she separate in some way from but also embrace what they've done as an administration. What's her response to that level of like, well, she ain't true.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's just not right.
Speaker 1: She is just not true.
Speaker 5: If they're not going to fact check, and especially if they leave the mites on so they can talk over each other. Every time he lies, she should say that's a lie. That's a lie to that's also a lie. Now, now is my opportunity to speak. Because just because words are coming out of someone's mouth does not make them fact.
Speaker 3: He is entitled to his own perspective. He is not entitled to his own set of facts.
Speaker 5: So let me actually tell you what happened since I've been irresponsible for immigration and border crossings. Border crossings have actually gone down by x percent. Like she can go in and that and I think that's the best thing to do. People need to know because he says it passionately, even his supporters. It does not make it true.
Speaker 3: Because you saw it in one of his campaign as it does not make it true. But don't worry, y'all.
Speaker 5: I'm here today to give you the facts for you to actually make your own decision and go into the voting booth and make the right decision.
Speaker 3: That's what I think she should do.
Speaker 4: Yeah too, And I hope she has her policy plan. I haven't gone to her website. I know she hasn't had her policy plan up there, I think, which is an unfair criticism. I think, you know the way that she came onto the campaign, It normally takes two to three months to do that, and people were looking for it three weeks after she had been there. But for the people who will continue to say, well, I don't know her, I don't know where she stands on things, well what does she mean? I hope that they will be able to go to her website and look at her policy plans, her policy proposals, and look at how it specifically impacts them.
Speaker 1: Even in her doing. I'm with you, Tiff. I hope that in this however setting that it's contrast contrast contract layout. I want to fit. You know, what does she say? Twenty five million new small businesses open in her first four years. For in her first term in office, I want to increase the tax benefit for anyone who wants to start a new business doubling, tripling the the the tax benefit that you get and the tax break that you get, whatever her tax break is going to be for middle class folks, and then say, and by the way, if you're looking for Trump's position on this, it could be summed up real simply it's tax breaks for the one percent of Americans. And then you know, just sort of continuously show the difference between the two of them, because you know what obsesses me and my frustration with media is it's sort of like, well, where's your policy on this and where's I can't remember a time they have covered Trump about.
Speaker 3: Dam But that, again, is not a contrast that she should point out.
Speaker 5: You will know that Maya gets on air, they broadcast the foolishness that comes out of his mouth. But they expect me to give you a white paper rundown in thirty seconds about what my homeownership policy is. Well, I'm here today to tell you this because I'm doing this, y'all because I just went on her website tip it's still not up. I hope by the time the debate happens, she can say go to Kamalaharis dot com, as Andrew did every time during the debate, because you don't have time in those ninety second answers to go get in everything. And also for Kamala, who is very cerebral and she kind of gets tongue tied when she is talking about policy, she may not be able to go right to a fact in that moment because she's wording off an attack from an abuser in that instance. Here's what you all need to know for home ownership, with the help and I hope she does this too, with the help of a democratic House and Senate.
Speaker 3: These are my plans. Why should she do that?
Speaker 5: Because there are still some really tough races that she needs that she will need to have one in order to govern the way that she'd like to. She will need a majority of the House, she will need a majority in the Senate. And I think that's an opportunity for a brief civics lesson, Like here are my plans. These are my highest hopes. But if I don't have a democratic House and Senate, this can't happen for home ownership, This can't happen. For fear wages, this can't happen for reparations, this can't happen for a ceasefire. Whatever she's going to say, she needs to make sure she says these are my plans. And this is why I need you all to also ensure that the folks who think like me and see policy the same way are elected to the House and Senate one thousand.
Speaker 1: Percent, so long as it is bookended with where he.
Speaker 4: Is on that of course, absolutely, But what's frustrating to me, Angela and Andrew to an extent, what you all are pointing out that she needs to do the candidate, I agree, but her load is heavy. Now. Why she has to do all this I'm so angry and frustrated about this is because the media fails. Like that's the point you're making, Like when if they ever asked Donald Try about his policy. Even when you go back and look at that first Biden debate, I'm sorry, they both sounded out of it, you know, Yeah, Joe, it wasn't Joe Biden's best moment, but it was even beyond guys, it was incoherent. Like if you go back, just take Joe Biden out of it and just go back and listen to Donald Trump. The lies will take you all dat account, but just listen to what that's my point, it was a new storyline to chase and it was like, ooh, let's talk about how old Joe Biden is and how ill equipped he is and completely ignore Donald Trump the things that they let this man get away with. And it's like, we put all this added pressure on Vice President Harris as a candidate who has to go up there and inform and convince and sway and do all the things, when really, if journalism, if the media landscape was informing people, she wouldn't have.
Speaker 3: To do that so much. And we went all this extra weight on voters.
Speaker 4: It's like, yeah, because the media is failing you, you have to now go out and get this information yourself. And I think these two things have a disastrous, adverse impact on our democracy.
Speaker 5: But it's always been that way since he's been around, like part of the reason. And we have to remember how Donald Trump got on the scene. He got on the scene doing all of this outrageousness. So of course he took outrageousness into his electoral strategy and it works and it will continue to work if people don't call him out for what he really is. And that's why I think, as frustrating as it is that she wouldn't just be able to come up there and be a diplomat and a leader. She's got to take him out at the knees because if she doesn't, now you're relying on the media to do something they've never been able to do, or at least they're not interested in doing.
Speaker 3: They want to talk about the outrageous thing.
Speaker 5: Why because it gets them clicks on their website, It gets them ratings on TV to talk about whatever he did that was outrageous, rather than the substance of the debate. Why the substance is a little more boring. She can make the substance more juicy by talk taking him out at the knees of his policy. Well, you know, I'm glad she can even do this in the debate. I know, we pulled this clip to and we're close to time, but it's not a clip. Donald Trump has flip flopped essentially on marijuana legalization and undermined Ron de Santis because of where Ron DeSantis stands on marijuana use in legalization. Yeah, and so Donald Trump is like, I'm basically for this ballad initiative, and him being for that ballid initiative will likely lead to more support for Kamala Harris because those are more progressive folks that typically support marijuana legalization. That said, Donald Trump now sounds like he's to the left of what the Biden administration has done, and Kamala Harris should say, well, since I ran for president, I got this a little fly in here to high I think. But she could say, since I ran for president, I have said this in twenty twenty. I was for legalization when I was a prosecutor. These are the things that I did.
Speaker 3: Despite what social media has told you, I actually kept.
Speaker 5: People of color out of jail for marijuana use and for selling marijuana. This is how I want to further what we've done in this administration. When Donald Trump was in office, he did none of these things. So it's nice to bring him into the fault. Donald, You're welcome to the party, but you're going to be on as a supporter of mine and not at the top of the ticket, not as president.
Speaker 1: You know, y'all CTAs in a minute, But I wanted to ask y'all, at the risk of maybe even trampling and sexism, I'm curious to know whether or not that no, no, no, I don't know if it is trafficking there. But I but I am curious, very specifically for y'all's thoughts on this. Is there a disposition that that that Kamala Harris can have that you think she will need to avoid for the purposes of of of who she's speaking to and who she hopes will be on the listening end of her words and that debate.
Speaker 4: Yes, sadly one, I want to say, the next time after our minipile, the next time people will hear from us, the debate will have happened, So we'll see how much this advice she took by the time we record next week. Sadly, And I know Andrew we've talked about, like, don't let them snatch our imagination. But I do not believe that she can go on this debate stage and talk about reparations like I think that is probably something that would would scare voters away.
Speaker 3: I don't think that she.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I would probably stop it at the at the reparations thing. Everything else, I say, be bold, talk about it. I'm not against reparations. I think she can move that once she's in the White House and it has you know, those down ballot races count. She has a Congress that can support the commission that Congresswoman Sheila Jackson Lee pushed God rest her soul. That can happen. But I don't think she can say that on the debate thing.
Speaker 1: What about in her physical Yeah, I agree that as she should do or not.
Speaker 5: I was gonna say, Andrew, one of the things that I thought you did really well, and when people see the clip in this episode, they'll see it. There were things that were coming out of Rona Santis's mouth that were outrageous, and instead of you looking angry and being like you would be like like I can't believe it.
Speaker 1: Oh my.
Speaker 5: I think that she should do some of that, And I also think there will be moments where she should look very stern, as stern as an instead of angry. And I think there's a distinction, and Kamala does that very well. She sounds like, you know, I'm very serious, I'm not playing games here. The one thing that I would like for her to avoid, and she did it in her debate. It happened when Tulca Gabber jabbed her, it happened when Joe Biden jabbed her, and whenever she's it actually happened in the interview with Dana, but you couldn't see because she was hunched over a little solshed over Kamala Harris when she gets defensive, does this shoulder shift thing. It's like, she does this, and I don't want her accounts. Yes, she does, and then she's like and it's like, okay, and I don't want her to do that because it looks like she's morphing into anger and I just want her to shift how she needs to. She can use her hands, she can do this, she can be here, she can point at him. There are things that she can do to be very stern, to look very prosecutor like, which actually boltes in her favor this election.
Speaker 3: And it did not in twenty twenty. So she needs to lean into that.
Speaker 5: She needs to be herself, like at the end of the day, forget everything all of us are telling you. Forget no cars, forget every policy they're telling you to push on that stage. Be yourself, follow your own black woman intuition. You can never go wrong there, That's what I'll tell her.
Speaker 4: I would like to strike my answer because I'm misunderstood.
Speaker 3: I didn't know you've missed he said this position, but you were like I shall say no reparations. Let Donald Trump bring it up. Reparation reparations. I'm just saying I don't think that's a position that she would champion on this particular.
Speaker 4: Like some of those things, we'll talk about after you get in, and we'll talk about it after you get it.
Speaker 3: Not if if she asked it, they please boll me. She got to go for it.
Speaker 4: Don't dance with the folks who brung you. Don't don't try to we are your base, we are your basember.
Speaker 5: Say instead of I'm speaking. I think she's done that enough. What she say if he cuts her.
Speaker 3: Off, she could say, watch your mouth.
Speaker 1: I actually might. I actually might say waters reclaim my time.
Speaker 4: You can say, she can say I'm speaking, or she could just keep talking making her point. Don't even acknowledge him to look at the camera, talk to the American people.
Speaker 1: Treat him like a fly. He's an irritant.
Speaker 3: That would be.
Speaker 5: But she starts swatting to like, I'm sorry everyone, but you know what she should Also, maybe she could consider saying, I would love to moderate this debate for you all, but I really want to let the American people hear my position.
Speaker 3: So if you wouldn't mind asking my opponent to wait his time.
Speaker 4: I don't want her to insult the moderate because that that I agree with that, but I think that was like a backfire on her.
Speaker 3: You know, it's like they're the people that you don't want to share question.
Speaker 4: I'm going to ask your dumb question.
Speaker 5: I would like her to say, I would like to use this time to address some serious matters.
Speaker 3: I guarantee she'll do that. I don't know. You didn't hear me.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, go ahead, No, no, I'm speaking over. I'm speaking over.
Speaker 3: And I didn't reclaim your time, brother, Nick, reclaim your time, brother.
Speaker 1: That The quick point is to make it a little funny by basically saying, whenever he stops talking, if he ever stops staking, you know, or or now getting back to the business of this debate, there's something that again.
Speaker 3: You know, are you finished? Are you done?
Speaker 1: I wouldn't let it. I wouldn't go are you finished?
Speaker 3: But I definitely.
Speaker 1: I think ever he finishes talking, whenever he stops.
Speaker 3: Talking, that's a really good ad.
Speaker 4: And I think this is something. It was her ad, and I think she could pick this up. Would you trust an accused rapists to pick up your kids. Would you trust uh, someone who talked about grabbing women by the pussy with your kids? Would you trust a convicted criminal with your kids?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 4: Right, so why would you trust that person with the country. That was an ad That's not mine. But I think that would be a good thing for her for people who don't you know how many people? Yes, because if people aren't watching commercials, like when are you seeing these ads?
Speaker 3: They're popping up on gaming or wherever.
Speaker 1: But if you're streaming, me tell you, if you want to talk about Donald Trump rolled, he will be rolled and bowed over if she comes at him that hall.
Speaker 3: That's what I'm top.
Speaker 1: If you want to see that man turn all the way orange, that's what whatever is the next level of his coloration.
Speaker 3: Should start right now.
Speaker 5: Like I'm telling you guys, if she wants him flustered and unclear and unhinged, start get in this dude's head right now. If that's what I'm saying, have that whatever they think the closingess, have.
Speaker 3: Her open with that. Throw him off his life immediately.
Speaker 4: You know who did, freaking Elizabeth Warren the bloombird.
Speaker 3: He was like, let me think this dude out for that's what you got to do. Maybe they put you cannot come in like, oh, let me come in and look like I'm the lady.
Speaker 5: Like no, go balls to the wall, em meet walls, walls to the w A l Z immediately start there.
Speaker 1: Well, what we know about Donald Trump because he doesn't change, is it when when there is a thing that is bothering him, he's going to He's going to repeatedly go.
Speaker 5: Back to what I'm saying, no matter, no matter question. Get him in that loop immediately. You guys know what I'm saying. She could literally throw him off the mark immediately. He's so predictable.
Speaker 4: But on the debate sta I don't want him to know her attack line before the debate stage you got we're coming up on time. Can we talk about what we're going to talk about on the mini pod?
Speaker 3: Do we have ideas?
Speaker 4: We got mini pods to drop every Monday, y'all? Oh, do y'all want to do the try conferences one? Well, because by the time this drops, it will be the kickoff. By the time the mini pod drops, which drops every Monday.
Speaker 10: It will will be starting CBC talk about I don't mind that, I like it, and we'll tune in to see if that's what we land on.
Speaker 3: That's not my c.
Speaker 4: That's not my ct I have a question for Angela for her ct akay. I think Angela's CTA is everybody get this newsletter. But I don't know anything about the newsletter. So tell us what is this newsletter?
Speaker 3: Where did it come? Who's writing the newsletter? Any?
Speaker 1: You should do that right after we do this, which is our CTAs are going to be two quick questions. Wrote a question.
Speaker 4: Oh oh, maybe the mini could be the fewer questions.
Speaker 3: Oh that's a good idea.
Speaker 1: We're gonna kick it. I like that.
Speaker 3: I like that. Okay, so we respond to.
Speaker 5: This is not rehearse because we all over yes, and will we be talking about so funny enough, Tiff, I don't know either. But we have a website called native landpod dot com and Lolo, who is our researcher, but she does a lot of things.
Speaker 3: Lolo wears a lot of hats. She was our booking producer at d NC.
Speaker 5: Lolo has decided that we need a newsletter, and so it's an opportunity. I think to go back and look at past clips, some viewer questions and some other stuff. I don't know, so I'm gonna be surprised, like y'all, and like Tip and like Andrew when.
Speaker 4: I see that it's like the news about this show. Yes, so our CPA is go to the website. I guess that's dot subscribe.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, okay, Welcome home, everybody, ketch us on the mini Before you end the show. I want to remind everyone to leave us a review and subscrib to Native Lampid. We're available on all platforms and YouTube. New episodes drop every Thursday. You can also follow us on social media. We are Angelo Raie, Tiffany Cross, and Andrew Gilli. Welcome home, y'all, Come home, y'all. There are sixty one days until election day.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Thank you for joining the Natives intentional with the info and all of the latest Roy Gillam and Cross connected to the statements that you leave on our socials. Thank you sincerely for the patients reason for your choices clear, So grateful it took to execute roles for serve, defend and protect the truth, even in pain. Welcome home to all of the natives.
Speaker 3: Wait, thank you, Welcome y'all.
Speaker 1: Melso says. Native Lampid is a production of iHeartRadio in partnership with Reason Choice Media. For more podcasts from iheartradid you visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows,