Speaker 1: The Nicki Gliser Podcast. Glaser.
Speaker 2: Here's Nikki.
Speaker 3: Hello here, I am welcome to the show. It's Nicky Glazer podcast. Joining me today are Brian and Noah. Anya is not here because she is in Canada and they don't have Wi Fi in Canada, so it's not working. Wherever she is Nova Scotia. Where is she's Nova Scotia. Yeah, yeah, she's like at a cabin on a lake. So what oh?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I used the word no at the beginning of Nova. It is a pun for no.
Speaker 3: Before we got started on the show today, just seconds ago, Noah and Brian were remembering local TV ads in the New York area, and Noah had one that Brian didn't recognize, and then Brian said, Selena and Barnes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Selena and Barnes is a injury attorneys in New York area, and they had a catchy phrase.
Speaker 4: You know Selena and Barnes.
Speaker 2: You do?
Speaker 4: Maybe I know it from living in New York.
Speaker 1: Sure, No, they were there when you were there, But.
Speaker 3: I don't think I watched TV in New York. How would I have seen this. I'm very confused, But maybe I did. Maybe I remember they didn't have It was TV and listening to the local radio either, but I do know maybe they yes, subway ads or something. Okay, anyway, so what about Selena and Barnes? Did you want to tell us and you said I save it for the show. This better be good. I'm just kidding measures on.
Speaker 1: First of all, nothing I say is worthy of that type of god.
Speaker 5: No, can you do you remember this Selena on Barnes?
Speaker 2: Yes, Seleno and Barnes injury attorney attorney call eight eight eight eight eight eight eight.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's it. Well, well, Barnes is dead, Barnes is dyed. He died. No, it was a couple of years ago, but he died in a helicopter crash.
Speaker 4: Holy fuck, Yeah, I do remember this.
Speaker 5: Yes, what Yeah, he died in a helicopter crash or maybe it was like a small plane, but he was flying it and he died. So it's like, yeah, it's tragic, but also like he was flying the plane, so people are like, okay, well, you know, he took the risk and he didn't pan out. But it's funny about it or not funny. But what's interesting about it is that the billboards around the city that used to say Selena on Barnes within like ten days, it was just Seleno injury attorney.
Speaker 3: Oh, he was so excited to finally get Barnes out of the way.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I bet you. He was ready to break up with Barnes. He was sick of having Selena on Barnes. He just he wanted it to be just solito eight eight eight eight.
Speaker 1: And now he's got it.
Speaker 5: So I haven't heard any song yet, but it makes me wonder if there's a conspiracy theory that perhaps Seleno sabotaged the helicopter. Really, I mean, it's my conspiracy theory.
Speaker 4: Oh.
Speaker 3: I just would love to see him get the call that it happened. That's what that's footage I want to see of. Like no, and he's writing things down right away, like and he's waving it for his secretary. Get on the billboards. He's out, he's done. Oh he does like a mime of a plane going into his desk. She's like no, she's crying. He's like, get over it, Move on these billboards. Get kits Burns's name out of there. There is something so man, when I hear of a plane crash, I'm on it. I want to know everything about that's why I know about this, like just a tragedy like that. God, I got really into who's the woman Patsy Klein died in a plane crash. Read about her a lot the other day. Had no idea that she died that way, and it's so tragic. And she used to like have premonitions that she was going to die. She used to like tell people she was in a really bad car crash where she almost got scalped to death, like a couple of years before her plane crash, and she survived that, and then the plane not so much. And God, there was one I read about over the weekend that was, oh.
Speaker 2: God, oh there's a couple bad crashes over the weekend.
Speaker 4: Girl was there?
Speaker 2: I think, maybe you're about to talk about the one at the air show or something.
Speaker 4: No, I didn't.
Speaker 3: I did read about that last night. There's, you know, in my Reddit search of last images, where it's the last image of a person. There was a guy taking a selfie and behind him was like this pilot that was standing on the wing of her plane being like I'm getting ready to go up and fly, and it was like she died and then there was like a crash at an air show, and then the air show kept going, and then there was another crash or something like that. God at the same air show. They were like, we just got to keep going, and then there was another one. That's just what I read in a Reddit comment, so who knows if it's true. But this was also in Last Images where I read all my morbid stuff. It was a girl in a helicopter with her It was it was a screenshot from like the video, and she's in a helicopter with her brother, and she's in a wedding gown. She had the idea to surprise her groom by helicoptering into instead of being walked down the aisle, a helicopter in and he has no idea, so he's waiting. Everyone's waiting at the ceremony. Here comes the bride and they all start getting alerts on their phone. This is what I'm guessing, because it kind of said something like this, that there was a helicopter crash a mile away and no one at the wedding knew that she was coming in by a helicopter because it was a surprise except one person, So that one person was probably like, there was what wait, sorry, I share that with me. There was a a mile a mile away. Okay, oh god, oh god.
Speaker 4: And had to like tell people and she it was really foggy.
Speaker 3: Guys, if it's fogging up, yeah, not don't go in a helicopter. Just don't go in a helicopter. Don't go in a helicopter. I did it in Hawaiian. It was one of the most extraordinary experiences of my life, going over this like cliff that had a waterfall and then you just right over it. You're like, it's all grasp beneath you. And then you go over it and it's like Jurassic Park and it's like this huge. It was one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen in my life. Still not worth it now that I think back on it, because I could have died. And I just get so nervous about those propellers. I have dreams where all I'm doing is ducking as I'm walking into near a helicopter. You ever hear about people that are like plane propellers that they're just walking out of the plane and yes, oh my god, and they just walk right into it because you can't see it.
Speaker 1: I mean, I don't seek this stuff out so't.
Speaker 5: I haven't seen this specific story about it, but I do know that I'm very mad at places like seemingly innocent publications like People magazine because they just love and on my news app when they pop up, it's always something like bride.
Speaker 1: And groom die on the way to their wedding or I gotta subscribe then, man, who.
Speaker 4: It's it's fear porn.
Speaker 3: People get addicted to it kind of is, and I like, I love being scared of things and having my fears validated because I'm not doing this stuff anyway, so it makes me feel like, good job, Nikki. You're not going skydiving, You're not going to a rodeo, You're not going to a monster truck rally. This is the right thing to do. Which, by the way, what is the point of a monster truck rally?
Speaker 4: Is? Is it? Really?
Speaker 3: I mean, people could say the same thing about a tailor stift concert. I really want to understand. Is it very exciting to see cars go way up in the air and like fall in some mud, like.
Speaker 5: They smash other cars though they smash other cars too.
Speaker 4: Why is that entertaining?
Speaker 3: I realized another fear of mine over the weekend because I went to go see Barbie and there was a ad for I usually love, you know, trailers, but they're there's just too much action going on. I close my eyes during any car chase scene. It is not the fear of the crash. I don't like when a beautiful new car. Even there was a Barbie chase scene, I close my eyes during it. If anyone in listening saw Barbie. There's a scene where she is in like definitely a Chevy truck that they bought an ad for because it's all Chevys chasing each other and this Chevy like you press a button and it like it goes faster. There's not that button in the Chevy that you buy. I don't understand why they even like are selling. People are gonna be like, where's that button that makes you go hundreds of miles an hour faster than the cops. Anyway, she's in a Chevy and it's like a new I don't like watching new cars go up on curbs and like have their axles like disrupted. It really really bothers me because there's going to be so like I hate hitting a bump or like, and in car chases, they're always going over curbs and they're they're breaking really fast and there's smoke and I'm like, oh, the tires are being damaged. I don't like watching Damn Midge interesting well either, I don't like watching people get yeah.
Speaker 1: Like people getting damaged.
Speaker 3: Why don't you like for I like hearing about like complete destruction, Like I didn't mind the cars that are like being slammed into each other and like they're totaled.
Speaker 4: But if you still have to drive that Chevy.
Speaker 3: Around after it's been in this chase, I feel like its alignment is gonna be off. It's a brand new car, You're just ruining it. I think I also have like my mom's voice in my head like you just got this car, Nick you oh the and my dad being like you know what, my dad talks about car alignment more than his love of his grandchildren. Like there's every car the alignments off. I go to get the tires rotated, every single car the alignments off. Any curb, you hit, any little bump, the alignments off. So I have that kind of paranoia. But I don't like car chasing scenes. Although there was an ad for this new movie called Grand Turismo which is gonna bomb, probably but it's about like people who play the Grand Triesmo video game and then they are recruited to like play and there's a guy in it that I find myself wildly attracted to, and I don't I don't know what happened. I've seen this guy before. I was never into him, and then he showed up on the trailer and I was like, that guy's hot and he it made me feel the same way I felt as like a young girl when I've I talk about it on stage sometime when I first was attracted to JFK. Junior when I was in eighth grade, I was like, I'm a woman now because I'm like attract to do a man and this guy, I feel like I'm growing up because there's just when you get start getting attracted to fifty sixty year old men, like you're like, oh, I'm just getting older, Like my body's just regulating to what I deserve now because I'm my skin is older.
Speaker 4: So who's the guy?
Speaker 1: And it's David Hard. He's yeah, a guy from the Sheriff Oh yeah.
Speaker 3: And I haven't seen stranger things, but my god, there's something about him in this He just seems kind and giant.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's a very big man.
Speaker 1: That's the characters he plays, kind and giant.
Speaker 3: He seems a little stern in this one too, like he's not putting up with these little gamers.
Speaker 4: Bullshit, that's exactly what.
Speaker 1: He's a sheriff.
Speaker 4: Oh he is, Okay.
Speaker 3: I think I saw the first episode of Stranger Things. I do remember him, and I've seen this guy before. He's married to Lily Allen. Don't even think I didn't research it. She's my age. Not that I want a chance with this guy. I'm very happy in my relationship, but I was like, uh, oh, new attraction unlocked. I've never been attracted to anyone who looks like him, even remotely. This is like a he's just a burly man, like a bear man. Yeah, never have been into a bear. I like Ki Kis, I don't like Buba's.
Speaker 1: He's definitely got a Uh.
Speaker 5: He's definitely typecast as a tough, lovable guy like he was in as Yeah, he was in the Black Widow movie as he played a Russian at first villain who was really tough, but then it turns out that he was a sweet man.
Speaker 3: And then he was in He's got a kindness. He looks like he could be Bigfoot.
Speaker 5: Or he could be Santa Claus, which he was in Violent Night, where he played Santa Claus defending a house from intruders and killing people violently.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 3: I did see that picture of him on that and I thought he was like in a horror movie about Santa But no, he's a good guy in that too.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I think it's more like in the genre of like Cocaine Bear, where it's just like so over the top ridiculous state.
Speaker 1: It's funny but also entertaining.
Speaker 4: That was a new thing for me.
Speaker 3: I did see Barbie this weekend, and it was it was everything I wanted it to be, you know, I like lowered my I tempered my expectations because it was so built up and I was thinking, this is going to be the next mean Girls like this seminal comedy classic that I would revisit the rest of my life.
Speaker 4: Was it that?
Speaker 3: No, it wasn't that. Will I don't need to ever see Barbie. I might need to see it if I was. I would watch it with Chris again and just I would like to get his take on it. I would like to watch it with the Girl's Trip get your guys' take on it. That's the only reason I really want to see it again. But not because it wasn't good. Do you ever see a movie where you're like, you leave and you go, oh, that was okay, but then you can't stop thinking about it and you go, wait a second.
Speaker 4: I think it was probably.
Speaker 3: Really good because you should be able to get a bad movie. It should leave your head right away. So I'm like, oh, maybe I'm not. I'm thinking a lot about what just happened. So it was like that for me. It was my favorite part of the whole movie. I told Brian this last night, but.
Speaker 2: Oh, we need on a spoiler horn.
Speaker 4: This isn't a spoiler.
Speaker 3: I just sound like I'm having an asthma, like a fucking pose having a seizure.
Speaker 4: Okay, I know she does it, but.
Speaker 3: There's just one line that really First of all, here let me just give you some headlines and these aren't spoilers. And this everyone has heard. If you've read anything about Barbie, you know this stuff. Ryan Gosling is a comedy treasure. I want to go back and watch everything he's ever done, just in search of sponging out any even more self comedy, although I will say he was really funny in that Wild Crazy Love or What Crazy fucked Up Love. There's some movie where he is training Steve Carell's character to be crazy stupid love. He's great in that, and he was kind of funny and charming. I mean, he's always charming. But my god, him is Ken. I mean, you've seen the trailers for it. I'm guessing where he's just like, there's this one trailer that doesn't give anything way. It's in the trailer Everyone Came Down where she's like, he's injured and he's at the doctor and they're like, you're healed. In the second and the sentence that I'm talking to you, you've healed completely because it's Barbie Land and everything is fine. And then he's like, Barbie, you know, my job isn't even lifeguard.
Speaker 4: It's not even lifeguard. My job is beach.
Speaker 3: And she goes, I know Ken, and he's like, cool, Barbie, and then he goes like, Barbie, can I come? So Barbie Ken's all existence is based on whether Barbie looks at him.
Speaker 4: That's what that's like.
Speaker 3: The first line of the movie is like, and there's a narrator that's like, and Ken's only purpose is if Bobby talks to him that day, and so.
Speaker 4: She's like hi, Ken, and he's like eh.
Speaker 3: And then she says hi to another Ken and he's like sad again, and he's.
Speaker 4: Just so he's so fucking good.
Speaker 3: You gotta see the movie just for him, and also to stare at Margot Robbie's stunning face the whole time. It's just fun to watch her face. She is incredible. So there is one part that I love, and this is my favorite line in the whole thing, and I'm not ruining any of the plot by saying this, but there is a moment where Barbie is bedraggled looking and her beauty has been kind of stripped away, and it's this pivotal moment where she's realizing that, like all of the her worth was in her beauty almost and now she's ugly and she doesn't feel like she's worthwhile anymore. And she's telling America Ferrara's character like, and I'm ugly now, and she's supposed to look ugly.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 3: She has no makeup, her hair is flat, she's like laying on the ground. Her face has been in the AstroTurf and she rolls over and she's like, and.
Speaker 4: I'm ugly and no one will love me.
Speaker 3: She says something like that, and then the movie pauses, and oh my god, I had the quote saved. Let me just pull up the quote really quick. I know this is annoying because I screenshotted it because I wanted to get it right.
Speaker 4: It says.
Speaker 3: During the heartbreaking speech, Barbie admits that she never feels good enough and not pretty enough, despite essentially being the perfect woman. It's then that the narrator, who has been silent for most of the film, chimes in with note to filmmakers, Margo Robbie is not the right person to cast to make this point. It was so refreshing because what movie in the middle of the movie says the actor's name, which is insane. But you could tell that they'd made this adjustment because they were I would love to interview if I ever talked to Greto Gerwig, I would ask her, when did you put that line in? Because was it after you were probably watching it, You're probably doing screenings and it just wasn't resonating and you needed to address the obvious, which was this woman's too beautiful, and to prove a point about women feeling ugly, you're using the wrong person. And they probably just went into ADR the next day and were like, let's just quickly get this line from Helen Mirren. Helen min was probably in a hotel room in Prague, like with a blanket over her head, just being like note to filmmakers, and she was like, I'm doing aran was.
Speaker 5: The narrator, Yeah, Michael, Helen Mirren is doing everything she is doing at least I mean she is, well she yeah, she's narrating all sorts of things.
Speaker 1: She's saying yes to things that she shouldn't say yes to.
Speaker 5: Like like what she was the host of the Harry Potter quiz show that was on Hulu, and she clearly like didn't get like what the point of the show was and maybe didn't really see Harry Potter or something, because every time she would ask a question, if she would read it like a a grandmother referencing something that her grandchild.
Speaker 3: Likes, like like the quote unquote Jiggy with it.
Speaker 5: Exactly in the movie, and then she'd have to make she was every time there is a game show or there is something like that that needs to be hosted, you need to cast a comedian. It is so awkward when an actor like hal Helen Mirren is forced to make a funny retort or witty banter or something in a situation like that. It's it's crazy so that in that game show, she's like, yeah, so she says things like that.
Speaker 1: In the first Harry Potter film, Hermione Granger did magic for which house and then they have to guess and they're like, uh, huffle puff, and then she has to say and then she has to make like a joke because they got it wrong and that's like an easy question. Then she'll say something like, oh no, it appears the quidditch snitch got out of your hand, and it's.
Speaker 5: Like, clearly someone wrote that for Who's not funny? And then she delivered it as if because she didn't really know what the words.
Speaker 1: Meant, but she said them. That's what it felt like the whole show.
Speaker 3: People don't people just think that anyone can do this stuff because they're famous and that's enough, and it you know, oftentimes it is enough that they're famous and that's good enough. But you're so right, there's so many awkward hosts of things and just because they're famous and it's excruciating to watch and thank god for that. Because comedians being stand to comedians, it's like we get bored of stand up.
Speaker 4: We like to do other things.
Speaker 3: We're not always the best actor, Like people don't trust us to put us in that stuff, but thank god we can do that shit. But we have to take a break. We'll be right back with Helen Mirren. She said yes to coming on our set.
Speaker 4: She just does outdeping. All right, we're back. So I saw the Barbie movie and I was and delighted. I went alone. I went alone.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was coming back from a lunch with my friend Lizzie, and then I was just like, man, I've got a whole afternoon of nothing to do, which I'm very uncomfortable with. And even though I complain about being overscheduled all the time, and I was like, I do want to see Barbie. It's like one thing that I've I haven't wanted to do anything like this and so long, but it was like, I really want to go see that. I want to be a part of the zeit, guys. I want to be able to talk about it with people, even though no one in my life has seen No. I tried desperately last night. I'm working on this project and there was one girl who's seen it, and I was trying to flag her down to be like, can we talk about it? But none of my girlfriends have seen it, none of my family has seen it.
Speaker 4: No one in my life has seen it.
Speaker 3: I could have waited, but anyway, I want to talk about it desperately with people.
Speaker 4: And but so I wanted to.
Speaker 1: Take a Barbenheimer phenomenon.
Speaker 4: I mean, I don't.
Speaker 3: My friend Lizzie saw Oppenheimer and she has a new joke that she was like, I saw three movies this weekend. It was Oppenheimer, which I like because it was too long. Barbie's an hour and fifty four minutes.
Speaker 4: I checked.
Speaker 3: I any movie I put in my phone, Google just fills in because it knows that I need to know running time. Yeah, I need to know how long this motherfucker is going to take. And you beite your ass. I knew exactly the I looked at my phone the minute the trailer was trailers were over, so I could go one hour and fifty four minutes from this time, I will be out of here.
Speaker 4: I'm just always looking for things to be over.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Oppenheimer, she said there was too much music in it, Like there's a beach scene and it's like.
Speaker 4: There's like he's going to bed.
Speaker 3: They're like like it's like the music is constantly swelling to this crescendo of of of anxiety, and yeah, I just hear it's super anxious. But I do want to see it just so I know references, and I would like to see it with Chris, and I would like to see it when we can pause it, because that was something I wanted to do during the Barbie movie. I missed a good chunk because I had to go to the bathroom at one point and I wanted to pose it, but I couldn't do that.
Speaker 1: But you know about the Barbenheimer phenomenon this meme.
Speaker 4: Well, I know about people going to see a double.
Speaker 3: Yes, many people did, because Oppenheimer only has made three hundred million and Barbie has made seven hundred million.
Speaker 5: So yeah, well they definitely drafted off of each other, and certainly Oppenheimer I think drafted off of Barbie because I don't think it would have been as popular if not.
Speaker 1: I had no idea even.
Speaker 4: What that movie was until it was all a Barbie.
Speaker 5: Like a different well it's like The Dark Knight and then okay, exception and stuff.
Speaker 3: So when boy read it, they were talking about Oppenheimer a lot, like Chris already knew about it as soon as I was like, what is this Oppenheimer thing? Because I just only knew it as attached to Barbie. But what a great marketing scheme.
Speaker 1: Well, I think this. I think that they didn't plan this.
Speaker 5: I think this is the Internet being sarcastic and ironic and saying that they're gonna go see both movies, and then the studios just fucking hit the jackpot. It was an organic meme that people only liked it because it was so stupid. It happens on the Internet all the time where something is so stupid that people then sarcastically and ironically pretend that they love it. So people did go see both movies. And what I'm not looking forward to is the next movie that those execs have. They they're gonna think that they have a huge hit on their hand based on their genius way Annington.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's like you're gonna go see Paddington Too and Grand Treason, and people are gonna be like, no, sorry, nice try, and.
Speaker 1: It's like, you're not a genius, nobody.
Speaker 5: You didn't do anything to make all that money on Oppenheimer and Barbie. It was because people found something randomly so stupid that they went and did it, and you're not gonna be able to recreate that. And I can just picture the exec being like, yeah, I did, I did Oppenheimer. I think I know what I'm doing around here, and then they're gonna fucking have a flop their next movie. Whoever the execs or producers of the people who made Oppenheimer, their next movie will be a flop.
Speaker 1: You heard it here. It's going to bomb. It's probably gonna be like an eight.
Speaker 5: It's probably gonna be like a one billion dollar budget, and it's gonna and it's gonna make like three hundred million or something.
Speaker 3: I guarantee you guys know what Barbie is about, because one of the reason I wanted to see Barbie more than anything was like, what the fuck? How are they going to make this a feminist statement? Like what are they doing with it? What could the plot possibly be? Chris and I were also talking about this, like how could Barbie, how could this be a funny script, like how could they make a like Barbie is a big deal but it's not. I'm sorry, I think it's taking on this cultural important that it really didn't have. Like they're making a story about how Barbie is in all of our lives and has been with us all along. When I got to say, we all stop playing with Barbie, and they Steven stayed in the movie around five years old. And it's not like it's if you or maybe have some kind of Down syndrome or something, Barbie has stayed in your life until your adulthood. But and that is no shade on people with Down syndrome, but they tend to like childlike things well into their adulthood. You Barbie is an afterthought. And it wasn't that I didn't like I didn't feel empowered by Barbie. It didn't make me feel like I could go and get a job and be an astronaut. Maybe it did, like maybe the Barbie the Vet made me go, oh, I could be a vet. And it's it's it's as easy as like, you know, there's just a picture of a dog skeleton on the wall, and that's all I have to do all day is just to have a stethoscope with a pawprint on it, and there's a dog skeleton on my wall, and I get the pet little dogs all day, and I get to wear a cute little outfits. But Barbie did not impact me this much. I think that was part of their marketing scheme, was to sell us on the idea that Barbie was a huge part of our lives when it wasn't.
Speaker 4: Do you know what the plot was? Can you guys guess what it's about?
Speaker 5: Well from the what I've heard some things about it, but I'm going to guess that Barbie is in Barbieland and then she gets zapped into the human world.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's the guess, and she shows them that women can do anything right. So the Pretty Women's promise is is that Barbieland and real life are separate, which, okay, that's great.
Speaker 3: That makes it so it can be a thing. And Mattel is aware of Barbieland and likes to keep Barbie Land as Barbie Land and Barbieland has the disillusionment that they've solved everything for women. In Barbieland, all the women are like in charge of everything. Every woman is a Supreme Court justice, every woman wins a new Nobel Prize.
Speaker 4: Every woman in men are just.
Speaker 3: Like less less than women are in the real world, Like they're just they're an afterthought. No one even knows where they live. They're just there. And like every night is girls night. Ken always goes home alone. No one even knows where he goes. He's just there. It's it's Barbie and Ken.
Speaker 2: This world is created by a large corporation called Mattel.
Speaker 3: Yes, oh okay, yes, but they it's it's like it's it's self. It's exit. Mattel's not controlling it. It's not like Truman Show. It's just it's the world. And they walk around on their tiptoes and then things start to go haywire, where Barbie starts to like have thoughts of death and like have flat feet. And this is in the beginning of the movie, and they realize that there's some kind of you.
Speaker 4: It's just you can make up anything.
Speaker 3: They're like, there is a portal that's open and somehow the real world thoughts of like what the real world is like for women is entering into Barbieland and it's and all the Barbiees are freaking out that she has flat feet and they're.
Speaker 4: Like, oh my god, you have to go see Weird Barbie.
Speaker 3: And Weird Barbie is this Barbie that represents like the girl, the Barbie that has like cut hair and like marker on her face and like girls like is always in the Splits, And that's played by Kate McKinnon, who's genius. Anyway, I thought it was very interesting how they did it, and I'm always curious, like when you have the concept of, like, what's a Barbie movie. I don't know how they're gonna do Polly Pocket the movie, but I guess it's being made, like they're gonna try to recreate this for every time.
Speaker 5: It's an epidemic in Hollywood. I mean every fucking show and movie free. It doesn't matter, as Hollywood execs are afraid to make new things these days. All they do is make things with pre existing ip unless it's like then even Oppenheimer is a historical thing. But if you can attach a a someone who already had a successful thing, then they can make what they want. But if it's a if it's a new person, it can either be superheroes or it can be pre existing ep There must be something attached they're running out.
Speaker 3: People are talking about how Barbie isn't like is a new concept. No, it's pre existing IP. Yes, so it's it really wasn't anything original.
Speaker 6: Grants pre existing IP, yes, every every I mean, yeah, there was there's a new Marvel DC character coming out, Beetlebug or something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's a there's the Blue Beetle, which is DC's So DC is like, there's a radioactive bug who bites somebody and then they get superpowers and they're gonna just pretend like we didn't already see seven thousand Spider Man movies.
Speaker 3: I mean insane. That movie looks truly atrocious. It's just like Granny has a gun. Like the pivotal moment in the movie is in the trailer where it's all of a sudden, a granny like someone's Abulita like has a huge machine gun and they're like Granny, no, and she's like, I got it, kids, and it's like, that's the why did you show us that?
Speaker 4: Like that is the.
Speaker 3: Funniest thing that in the movie, because it's all they have. Trailers suck now, they just give away everything. I didn't even watch the Barbie trailers. If they would have left the foot moment for the Barbie trailer, like that would have been a crucial moment in the there's funny stuff that happens, but they they gave away all the funny moments in Barbie, and I just gave away another one that actually would have been saved.
Speaker 4: But then, but yeah, the Barbie movie did make me.
Speaker 3: Later on, I was on I did like nine sets this weekend, not like nine, I did nine sets this weekend, and I was getting into some like feminist stuff that was maybe sometimes a little bit over the top, and I, oh, at one point, I go listen, I know it's.
Speaker 4: Hard for men too. I saw Barbie, and the crowd fucking.
Speaker 3: Exploded because it was exactly what that movie was about. Was like, men don't want to see it because it's like, oh, it's anti men. I guess, like some right wing people are like up in arms, but don't go see Barbie because it's a feminist movie. Like that would be such a horrible thing, I guess, But it's it's Yeah, you were talking head on. I was almost gonna say Tucker Carlson, but that's not on anymore. Yeah, I don't know any Fox and Friends, Gottfield. Yeah, so yeah, it it what it did. If anything, it made me feel like bad for men and make me go like, oh, men need to be supported more and need more emotional support. They're kind of lost, which I guess is also not a good Like you know, Fox and Friends, people would think that's like that's men aren't lost, they don't need to cry.
Speaker 5: But it was about for men these days, you know, we had a grapple with the with the fact that people are questioning our power.
Speaker 4: Well, yes, it's that.
Speaker 3: I mean, listen, I love playing that card of like, oh poor men, you've had it good for so long.
Speaker 4: Now it's our.
Speaker 3: Turn when when oh you can't cry, you're you're sad and isolated. But the truth is they are men are. Men don't have as many like men don't have girls chats, Men don't have emotional support. They don't need it as much because women are just fucking banana when it comes to emotions. But it is, there is a problem there, and men don't need to be mocked for being like having a stiff upper lip and like being a little bit and being angry because they do they have like a lot of rage hormones that we don't have. That thank God, we don't have it that they don't know what to do with.
Speaker 2: There is a great book that is on my reading list. They actually started reading it a while ago and then I stopped, and it talks about how men handle depression and their communication is so different than the way women do it. It's actually a book that's written for men, not really, you know, but it still gives like a good view of it for other people who might want to read it. It's Terrence Reel who I'm reading his other book. It's called I Don't Want to Talk About It. Oh yeah, and I what a great what a great title.
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that that's how men, the most of the men that I know, handle any.
Speaker 2: They they handle depression by actually like doing stuff. So it's like they will go and they'll start hitting nails into like a wooden plank and fix up the porch or something. That's how they handle depression. And we turned to our girlfriends to actually talk and have like emotional process it.
Speaker 3: Aud ability, Yeah, well, dude, does building a porch help them process it?
Speaker 4: Though?
Speaker 5: Like?
Speaker 3: Is it is that helpful? Or is it like they're just building a porch around their problems? No, it's that that is how they cope, and so it does.
Speaker 4: Work for them.
Speaker 5: Yes, I mean I keep saying they and am like what Like, I mean, I'm a man. I'm not building the porch when I get upset.
Speaker 3: Well, you might do, Brian, You're different. You're different. You have like a more feminine energy in that way. Like Brian has friends that he talks to about his feelings. How did for men listening who don't have that, Like is that something you've always had? Is it something you realized you were lacking? Like you do seem to process your feelings in a way that I relate to at least were not including you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, get out.
Speaker 5: I don't know. I think I think there's just men who are like me. And there are men who, you know, bury everything and hammer nails into wood in order to get rid of their feelings. But I mean, I did go to therapy for a little long time, but I think I'm done. I don't think I have to do.
Speaker 3: I think you were a pussy for going, Like was it hard to get you to go the first time?
Speaker 5: Like?
Speaker 4: How did you get in there?
Speaker 1: No? Not at all.
Speaker 5: I thought I thought it was great. I never thought I was a pussy and I do know. I think it's there is cultural. You know, people who when they grow up and around, maybe your older brother calls you a pussy for going to therapy or something like that, and they get beaten out of you that.
Speaker 1: Way, or if you're on the football team.
Speaker 5: And that's why there's a lot of football teams like the Indianapolis Colts, who they're like they're charity. You know, every football team's got like a here's our you know how like PEPSI is like we're going to do houses for dogs or whatever. Indianapolis Colts charity is kick the stigma of talking about your mental health. So it is like a thing in sports too. But I never had a problem with it, and I always I think I'm open with complaining about all sorts of things. So I think that's where it comes from. Is all this, I mean, how does go on and on? I talk a lot. I just talked to you just now.
Speaker 3: No, uh no, like what I mean, we welcome to the show. I mean that's uh yeah, you do talk a lot. You talk things out, and you have a more analytical approach to talking. You're not as feelings based as facts based. I've noticed when you talk yeah, which I think is probably more masculine, but you do have a lot of logic and like your mattress saga has been a fascinating one to to live through. Brian bought a temper pedic mattress and I'm not joking you. Let me just tell Noah, how many hours do you think Brian spent at the mattress store the day that he purchased his mattress. Before making that purchase, how many hours do you think he spent just that one mattress store.
Speaker 4: Was it one mattress store?
Speaker 3: Brian?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was that one mattress store temper Pedic.
Speaker 4: Okay, our uh yeah? How many hours?
Speaker 2: I mean, I can't imagine spending more than like an hour, and with the buying process, maybe like an hour.
Speaker 3: That this question is probably a significant amount of time. And it's Brian, like, what would you guess if you were a betting woman that it's it's you know what, I know, what you and I would do is probably like more than an hour and a half is like excruciating.
Speaker 4: But what do you think, Brian?
Speaker 2: So if you didn't frame the question in a way where I would be able to tell that he spent probably like five hours at the store. I think I would say that Brian went to the store multiple times to just be sure.
Speaker 4: It's one time, one time.
Speaker 6: So.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I guess I'm thinking about how long I spent and I just knew it like immediately, so I would say, like an hour and a half.
Speaker 3: Okay, Brian, how many hours did you spend the store before?
Speaker 1: Well, first of all, this was the second time I went to the store.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, okay, I didn't know it.
Speaker 5: Relative than this, But the day I bought the bed, I spent six hours at the mattress store sick. And I kept saying, am I the most annoying mattress purchaser you guys have ever had? And they're like, no, no, And then they did that thing where they're they go up into a falsetto and they.
Speaker 3: They also turn over to different shifts of people.
Speaker 1: Well that's what happened.
Speaker 5: It got to be so long that I said to a guy one of the there's two guys, and one of the guys like, well, I'm gonna take my lunch break, and so he left, and then I turned to the other guy and I was like, do you need a lunch break? I mean, we've been here for like three and three and a half hours, and he's like, no, no, no, I don't need a lunch break. Actually, you know, I actually get a little bonus for pushing my lunch break. So it's actually good that you're here for so long because I can get a little bit of money. Because you're here for so long on my lunch break, what are you doing?
Speaker 3: No sense to me how you could spend this long of a time and you have someone assisting you the entire six hours.
Speaker 4: You no point where you like go.
Speaker 1: Take an at.
Speaker 5: I said to the I was like, don't you need a lunch break? And he said no. I get a little bump, and then another.
Speaker 4: It was just hanging out with you for six hours? Have you seen him since?
Speaker 1: I lay down? And then I say, can you please? Can you? Yeah? So I go there every few days and lay down and we maybe you.
Speaker 5: Lay down on each mattress for fifteen You have to lay down for fifteen minutes to get a feel for it. So I told the guy, I said, you don't have to lay here next to me or to stand around and watch me lay Just go do whatever you want and I'll let you know when I need you, and he said fine, And then an hour and a half passed and he comes up to me and he goes, listen, I really gotta get lunch. I'm really hungry. And I was like, so go get luck. Like he was the guy who was like, don't worry about it, I don't need lunch, and he's like, yeah, listen, enough time. I didn't think you're gonna be here for five hours. I need to get lunch. So I was like, I'll tell you what. I'll go get lunch also, and then you get lunch and then we'll reconvene after a lunch break.
Speaker 1: So he did that. I left for twenty minutes.
Speaker 5: I got a smoothie, and then I came back and we both took a lunch break and then finished the six hours. And then I looked. I tried all of these mattresses I laid in.
Speaker 4: There was sleep at any of them.
Speaker 3: It was like fifteen minutes you would just lay there and like toss and turn or like what would you do for fifteen minutes? Would you be on your phone or would you just stare at the wall, like what?
Speaker 5: Sometimes I'd be on my phone and sometimes there'd be another customer. There was this other guy who was also looking for a mattress, and then and we laid in bed together and we talked about the bed for fifteen minutes. That guy wound up buying a different bed than me. There is another guy who came in who had the same story as me, where he's like and he was definitely rich. I mean, he did not give a fuck about buying the mattress. He was like, I will drop fifty He kept saying. This guy came in and he kept saying to the guy, He's like, I have a mattress.
Speaker 1: I don't like it.
Speaker 5: I spent a ridiculous amount of money on this mattress and I can't It was the worst money ever spent. It was this outrageous amount of money and I was not comfortable in it. My wife hates stince. We just want to get a new mattress. And I was like, oh, yeah, I did the same thing. I bought a really expensive mattress. I had it for three years and I hate it. And then I was like, yeah, it was like I spent like five thousand dollars on a mattress. I threw five thousand dollars at him and I could just see it in his eyes. He's like, I'm not telling you how much I spent on my mattress because it was probably something like twenty to thirty thousand dollars, which you can buy a custom made, like fancy mattress for that.
Speaker 3: Because he looked, I think him say, I'll buy your mattress from you and try it out, because that guy's just going to put it out on the street.
Speaker 4: Rich people don't care about reselling things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well I wanted a temperped it and so did he. Oh right.
Speaker 5: He just looked like a Beverly Hills rich guy, and I was like, uh, five thousand dollars mattress is the equivalent of getting a wayfair clear and sale mattress to him. But then you wind up buying the most expensive mattress in the store, So did you?
Speaker 1: So did?
Speaker 5: I a different firmness level, but I got the same one, and I fucking hate it. I spent six hours in that store laying in all the mattress.
Speaker 4: This didn't work for you? Six hours?
Speaker 1: No, it would have been.
Speaker 4: Because I asked Brian.
Speaker 3: The reason I know about six hours is he's talking about this mattress that you know he has and he hates and I and I hate to be like my mom because my mom would go to go then why did.
Speaker 4: You buy it?
Speaker 1: Nick?
Speaker 3: And it's like, well, I didn't know I was gonna hate it. The answer to that is like, because I didn't know. But I eventually asked, Brian, why did you buy this mattress if you knew what you wanted and it goes against what you want because Brian wanted to temperpede it because he wanted that like sinking feeling where it like encapsulates you. Yeah, but then he ended up buying like a hybrid that's like a half spring half that. So it's like it was called the Luxe.
Speaker 5: The lux Breeze Medium Hybrid, and it's not Breeze Medium Hybrid. It's not that I it's not that hybrid's bad. It's that these breezes are so fucking stiff. I really do think they're going to discontinue them, because there's just no way they intend the bed to feel like this.
Speaker 1: There's just no way.
Speaker 4: But I go, I say, Brian, why did you get this mattress?
Speaker 5: Then?
Speaker 4: Like, how are you?
Speaker 3: There's six and he goes because I was tired and I was disoriented. I was hungry, and I didn't know where he was anymore, Like he had been in this fucking story for so long. But in the end it backfired because he was like he hadn't seen sunlight in over six hours.
Speaker 4: He was like starting to lose his mind.
Speaker 2: I never give myself that much time to make a decision about nothing. The other day, I went and I got my nail hand on, and I wanted a pink for Barbie, even though I didn't see the movie.
Speaker 3: Yeah, your pink is so good. Noah, I've been looking at with the green sweatshirt that you're wearing. It's perfect.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 4: I picked a pink.
Speaker 2: She put it on and it was sheer, and I was like, uh, I don't want sheer. I wanted to cover. So she went and she brought me like three other colors. She put the first one on and then she was going to do the other one, and I was like, you know what, don't even give me the choices. I like this, like the one you put on my pinky. Let's keep it that way.
Speaker 3: Same same I Canno went and got my nails button yesterday and the guy's like, is this good? He like, you know, did a rounded one and I was like.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, fire, it's fine.
Speaker 3: When they asked me rounded or or flat or coffin shaped, I'm like, I'm thinking about coffins right now because I feel so bad that I don't care.
Speaker 4: I just don't care.
Speaker 3: I've never I don't even know what woman would ever be like, I need it to be this shape of roundness, and they're all fucked up. The problem with going to Nailsalon's is they glop it on too much and then it will never dry. My toes were still not dry, and I was pressing into them just to show how they weren't dry six hours later. I could have bought a mattress in that time, and I was pressing into that and they still weren't dry.
Speaker 4: That is absurd. I want to go back there today.
Speaker 3: I have an hour and a half and it's thirty minutes away, but I want to drive back there just to say, look at this, this damage happened six hours after you guys painted it, and then not do anything because they'll just do it again, Like I just want them to see. And I forgot my sunglasses there. Do you ever forget something and you just go how much were those sunglasses? They were eighty five dollars. Okay, I wore them for two two months. That was pretty That was probably like twenty dollars worth of wearing for like when I really expected to lose these things. This place is thirty minutes away, hmm. I don't even know if they have it, and I don't want to call ahead because they don't really speak English and they don't seem to like want to answer their phones based on when I was there. So maybe I'd just say goodbye to those glasses forever.
Speaker 5: What you just described is my thought process for every single decision I make about anything.
Speaker 3: Really, that's all seemed like you don't seem to value your time. If I was to be guessing about how you manage your li.
Speaker 5: I am valuing my time because I knew that if I picked the wrong mattress, I would suffer, and that would cost me way more time.
Speaker 3: It'd suffer. I know it is wasted so much of your time. Yesterday he went on another mattress.
Speaker 4: What I went.
Speaker 1: I went to Macy's and I went to another Well.
Speaker 4: I want you just to get rid of this mattress.
Speaker 5: He hates it, this mattress So the thing about temper Pedix is that there's a breaking period and like they say that you have to lay in it for thirty days and then it'll it'll feel more like.
Speaker 4: This, it's more than thirty days.
Speaker 3: Well whatever, that's the ninety days is the time he has to return it. But if he returns it, he's got to pay a restocking fee. But he also has the chance to return it, and then they just give you another mattress and it's a fine and there's no restocking fee. So that discourages people from, you know, returning it and then buying a new one. But if he gets a new mattress without the restocking fee, if they just exchange it and it's a clear exchange, he's stuck with it. There's no ninety day, So he is him a dilemma of what does he do, because I would say, just go with the one. You know, now you've been back to the store, you've tested your mattress that you thought you wanted. It sucks that even there now you realize when you got it you were not in the right state of mind. Get a mattress now that feels like the one that you originally wanted. The temper pedic that fits to your body, not this hybrid bullshit. Not the breeze bullshit. The breeze and but he But then I think about that and I go, Nope, I think I think it's too much of a risk. Brian is too sensitive of a boy. He's not gonna like this mattress. It's just too much of a I just I'm stressed out for you, man.
Speaker 4: I don't know how you're going to do this.
Speaker 5: I went to the mattress store yesterday and I laid in the I laid in the Breeze Hybrid, the one that I bought, because I was like, did I just totally fuck this up? Because I must have laid it in the store and thought it was comfortable, That's why I bought it. This just must not be broken in yet. So I went to the store because I was like, I want to lay in the mattress that I bought and see how it's supposed to feel smart.
Speaker 1: So I did that. I laid in it, and I was like, this is the worst mattress I've ever laid it. Oh what a day.
Speaker 5: It's like, my mattress isn't broken in the one of the store is broken in and it's like two percent softer.
Speaker 3: I just don't understand. I gotta feel this mattress. I want to come over and lay it before all. Mean, imagine mattress being so fucking bad that you have horrible night's sleep. Your back is like cracking in half from the sleep. Like I've just never heard of a mattress being that bad, unless it had like spikes on it, like I don't, or unless it was like a there are spikes sofa mattress that you has a bar going through it.
Speaker 5: There are spikes on the end and then cut you and then there's like a river of acid that flows through the middle.
Speaker 3: That's what keeps saying out like it every time I see you. You're just like the worst night to sleep of my life.
Speaker 5: Yeah, no, it really sucks with me. Fucking My wife played in it. And you know she has her own bed much softer my wife, so she doesn't have to do anything with this.
Speaker 1: My wife waits on you.
Speaker 4: To sleep in the same bed, her bed.
Speaker 1: She laid in the bed and she said size bed.
Speaker 5: She's got a king sized bed all to herself, and she sprawls out like a starfish right.
Speaker 1: In the middle.
Speaker 3: Now for now can you sleep in her bed so you don't have to like torture yourself anymore.
Speaker 4: You know, I'm getting rid of this one.
Speaker 5: Well, I am torturing myself because just in case it breaks in and I'm like, you know what, I actually love this bed like like Noah was to taste someone.
Speaker 3: To lay in it while you're at work or something like to break it in faster? What's and are I guess gets broken in at the store because people are laying in.
Speaker 5: That is what I don't understand is how temper Pedic could sell people a mattress that feels like shit for ninety days and that's not just me for many people.
Speaker 4: Why How could you're reading consumer reviews.
Speaker 1: And read it?
Speaker 2: How could I make that company repedic mattress? And I love it? So two opposing views here it's the best and your dress ever? Do we know what model you have? You know, I was just trying to search through my email for it to see, but it might be it is it has like that cooling technology in it, so I think it maybe you'll.
Speaker 5: Have cooling technology, but this is the latest cooling technology.
Speaker 3: And anyone's saying doesn't want to be cool when they sleep, and why is this a new technology? This is like wheels on luggage, hasn't Everyone always wanted to be cool with the memory foam.
Speaker 5: Mattresses sleep really hot. They sleep really how. You sink into them and it heats up. And that was the initial complaint about memory foam is that they sleep too hot.
Speaker 1: I sweat all night.
Speaker 5: So they started injecting this cooling technology into their mattress and now I think.
Speaker 1: They've gone too far.
Speaker 5: But my wife laid in this mattress and she said, I would rather sleep on the floor than sleep on this mattress.
Speaker 1: That's how stiff and hard it is. Anyway, I don't know what you're going to do.
Speaker 5: I'm pretty sure I'm gonna return and then get a temper pedic Hybrid medium non breeze pro adapt. Okay, but you know when you were talking about you lose stuff like you like your sunglasses, or you leave it somewhere.
Speaker 1: I lost my wallet this weekend.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, it sucks.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I lost my wallet and Allie said, so this is like this is where like my I don't know if I don't have feelings or something, but I lost the wallet and I realized it was lost and I've just always been this way. I just instantaneously moved on from the fact that I lost it, and within thirty minutes I had replaced everything in the wallet. And Ali said that I have never seen someone move from like realization to losing something like that to like having it all taken care of so quickly.
Speaker 4: I'm very similar.
Speaker 3: I realized that when I left, I left my purse in a cab one time, and I remember someone was.
Speaker 4: Over my house.
Speaker 3: When I realized it might have been Andrew, I was at my apartment in New York. I realized I just got out of a cab and gotten up to my apartment, four floor walk up and I get up there. We're up there for like a half hour, and I go, oh my god, and I know exactly what happened. There's no even question where it could be. Yeah, and I just was like, all right, well that it's just immediate acceptance because any of this, like, oh God, no, I think it's a rebellion of my parents, because again my parents would be like.
Speaker 4: Why did you leave it there? Yeah, because I wanted to.
Speaker 3: I really like losing things and replacing all my credit cards. Like my mom's questions constantly is like why wouldn't you look before you got out? Just like just this constant shame of like how dumb are you to have done this thing?
Speaker 4: Like it's your fault.
Speaker 3: And so now I think I just in rebellion to that, which is a great thing. I just go immediately to acceptance. It's gone, let's figure this out. Like what I realized yesterday I lost my glasses. It was just like, okay, do I care? I got some good times with them, that was fun, Like they they're cute. I think they're still in stock. I could still get them, and you know we had that was I expected to lose them eventually, and it just happened sooner than later. There was a moment of like, man, they were in my lap. I knew I should have put them in my bag. Yeah, bad, bad, Nikki. And it was probably for a point four seconds that I felt that way. I pictured them in my lap, and I picture putting them in my purse, and I go, why didn't you do that? And maybe I'll do it next time. But there's no point in beating yourself up, because that doesn't bring them back. I used to get I used to get like scolded and like, well, you're not getting another one. You're not getting another one. And I always lose my accessories, like there's all I hope I don't ever lose my engagement ring. This one I really look at, but I know that everything else that's jewelry is gonna be lost one day unless I keep it in a safe and never touch it. And I always let myself off the hook for it because when I was younger, I was told, well, you're never gonna get another one again.
Speaker 4: We're not buying you one.
Speaker 2: And now I'm just like, well, I work and I can buy myself another one if I lose it, no big deal.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah.
Speaker 3: I was always just told this is why you can't have anything nice.
Speaker 4: You lose everything.
Speaker 3: You treat everything poorly, you don't care about nice things.
Speaker 4: You just don't deserve nice things.
Speaker 3: And I've been like thinking about it recently and I've been talking about it on stage, But I never got an American girl doll and my sister dead, and I really think it was because and she to this day is like a much more organized person, has three kids of her own, keeps track of everything, just is like such a good efficient mom. And my parents just kind of knew this was not I was not to be in charge of an American girl doll. They had too much going on. My sister always got like Littlest Pet Shop. Those had so many little accessories. I was not going to keep track of all that bullshit, and like Molly's chalkboard and ADDIE's basket. I it was just everything was gonna get lost. And I'm still to this day and it is nice. I think that is a reason why I have like being well off in that way, because now I kind of just I don't know when when I do lose something, or I'm like, oh, we can just get another, like I do like the casualness with which with I get to respond to these things, because my mom still does have that in her where it's like, Nick, you really you gotta stain on that? Ah, where'd you get this?
Speaker 4: You just gotta go.
Speaker 3: I'll just get another. It was forty five bucks, it's not a big deal. She's like, oh, I can get that out, and I go, nope, I have muddy like I just liked it. It's like this little fuck you to the chronic shame. I felt afliding everything. We'll be right back after this and talk about more stuff. I want to get into a book.
Speaker 4: That Noah is reading.
Speaker 3: Okay, we're back. Wait, one more thing Brian needs to say about this wallet.
Speaker 5: So I lost the walle I knew exactly where I lost it. It fell out of my fucking fanny pack, which I have a habit of not zipping it up and just walking around with it flopping around. And I remember I was out a farmer's market once and I had it unzipped and the farmer's market guy was like, you gotta zip your fanny pack. And I was like, nah, I'm fine. And that's when the writing was on the wall that one day I would lose my wallet. And so six months later, my wallet falls out of my fanny pack at a gas station.
Speaker 1: I lost at the gas station.
Speaker 5: I was like talking on the phone filling my gas with my fanny pack just open, just like you you don't.
Speaker 1: Check on the phone.
Speaker 5: Uh yeah, this is a lesson, like you could actually something could fall out of it.
Speaker 3: You love talking on the phone so much, And we were talking about this and it's like, stop talking on the phone.
Speaker 4: Just text people.
Speaker 1: No, it's goods good.
Speaker 4: You love a phone call.
Speaker 5: I'll talk for hours on the phone, I'll talk. The only thing I'll do for longer than that is as trut mattresses mattress. I was talking on the phone, so I was distracted. I was filling up gas. I bought a lottery ticket and then I dropped the wallet. The lottery ticket was not in the wallet. But the reason I the way I learned that my wallet was stolen because I texted you. I was like, hey, if is your is the wallet in your hotel room? I uh called the gas station. I said, did anybody return the wallet? And they said no, And then I saw on my Chase account that there had been some purchases made. And then they and I looked up online what are the chances that somebody finds your wallet and returns it? And they said that statistically it's a fifty to fifty chance that fifty percent of the time when someone finds a wallet, they returned it. And then I was so this, So I was looking at this guy he made he took my wallet and he bought two hundred and fifty dollars worth of vans. He went to Vans and then he spent eighty dollars at his seven eleven And I'm just like what, I don't think it's a kid.
Speaker 1: I don't think it's a kid.
Speaker 5: I just think it's what what kind of piece of shit person sees a wallet on the ground and their first thought is to immediately immediately drive to the mall he drew mall?
Speaker 4: Kid? A kid?
Speaker 1: You think it was a kid?
Speaker 4: I don't want want honestly vans. Yes, I think it was.
Speaker 1: No, it's not just kids who want vans.
Speaker 4: I wonder what size they were. We could we could find out.
Speaker 1: There there were baby shoes, and it's probably first Yeah, I think a team, like maybe it was a teen.
Speaker 3: I've had that moment where I remember in college there was a girl walking in front of me who dropped some cash and I just pocketed it. And I'll never forget how wrong that felt, and like what the fuck? Like I get it. If you find cash and no one's around, like I I'm not going to do a lot to be like did anyone drop some cash?
Speaker 4: So it's like the worst.
Speaker 5: Thing you can do is say is take the cash and try to give it to someone at the hotel desk or this crazy can you turn this cash? If someone comes by looking for the cash.
Speaker 4: I'd never in a million years do that.
Speaker 3: But I saw this crash fall out of the girl's pocket and I pocketed it. And it's one of the worst things I've ever done in my life. I really, I'm embarrassed to even admit that I did it. And it was like three dollars. I'm not it was like no money. But I was going through a hard time. I mean I was a klepto back then anyway. And but yeah, the the the sociopathy that has to be going on in your head to steal and think it's a sociopathic.
Speaker 5: My idea was at least given the ID to the like, but instead he took the whole thing.
Speaker 3: You put an ID in the mail, it'll send it to that address. Yeah, so it's like put it in a mailbox.
Speaker 1: That's a really good tip.
Speaker 5: But yeah, like like they it's and like my parks pass was in there, and it's just like you can't that parks past, and so I yeah, I just I feel like I just lost.
Speaker 4: What I always think is, yeah, of.
Speaker 5: Course, it's just like I see a fucking wallet on the ground. You know where I live, you know where I lost.
Speaker 3: That's why I put my phone number. Chris got me a label maker. I put my phone number and my name, Nikki G on all my AirPods and on my laptop because most people are good. Yeah, And this is what I've said before about the airport thing, like leave your luggage, Like most people are not gonna buy a ticket to go on a plane, get inside and then just start stealing things and steal a guitar that they then have to bring on their flight.
Speaker 4: Like this isn't.
Speaker 3: This isn't pre nine eleven when you can just walk into an airport and even then I would have probably trusted things. Most people are not gonna steal things, but I would say, I say it was more than fifty percent chance, depending on where you are, of course, but that you're gonna get it back because most people aren't insane like this. I mean, I go to a Starbucks all the time and I have my laptop out and my wallet and stuff, and I will go to the bathroom and just leave it. And I don't ask a person near me can you watch this? Because I'm like, I assume everyone's kind of looking out for each other and that's probably naive. And knock on wood, I knock on wood, knock on wood. I haven't had anyone steal anything from me, but just in case your phone, you're sting even a number on things, huh, and your phone.
Speaker 4: Stolen from your hand, remember, Yeah, but that's like from my hand.
Speaker 3: This wasn't because I like left it sitting out like you can't really prevent that, and now I do. I will never on that corner it's right across from my apartment. I will never walk stupidly with my phone in my hand and buy my apartment on that same block anymore. I mean, maybe that's not the I just never watch it, dude. It was like a relay race. Like I was holding out a baton. He already he got a running start. He came at me running and just grabbed it from my hand so fast I didn't even notice. And then he was running down the street. A bunch of people saw. They were all around me. It was like a crowded moment in my neighborhood. And these two girls witnessed me have my phone sold.
Speaker 4: And he was a kid.
Speaker 3: I think he was probably like twelve thirteen years old, and he was running away, and everyone wants to know, like what race? It was a five k No he I don't know what race he was. He had a hoodie on, but he was running away and and I just come.
Speaker 4: On, oh, come on.
Speaker 3: And I just love the idea that he'd be like all right, I will come on, like this is crazy.
Speaker 4: What am I doing with my life?
Speaker 3: But I really just wanted the phone case because it was this Taylor Swift phone case that I had spent a lot of money on on Etsy and I really loved. And but yeah, I just I immediately accepted it in a way. It reminds me exactly what you're talking about. These girls that witnessed it were like.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, Oh my god. And I just picked up my Trader joke.
Speaker 3: I just was like, eh, well, I guess he needs it more than I do.
Speaker 4: I literally was over it within seconds.
Speaker 3: I said come on, okay, and I just was like, guess I'll be on my laptop texting tonight. I have to go to the Verizon store tomorrow. Like I just already accepted it because what good. And they were like, what are you gonna do? And I'm like, I'm not gonna call the police, Like then I have to deal with them coming a report.
Speaker 4: They're not gonna do anything.
Speaker 2: I would be more torn over, like, oh my god, this guy's gonna see my photos.
Speaker 4: Was a phone on lock? Were you using it?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I was. I was using it. I was texting someone at the time.
Speaker 3: I wasn't worried about that because I would benefit from any photos leaking anything. Please please break into my eye cloud and use all the naked photos that I haven't there, no begging you. I'll be more famous because of it. Anyway, I will be really hurt.
Speaker 5: For me.
Speaker 3: There's so much, but like you could just get that from me anyway, you know, like if they're gonna fish and find your stuff, like I don't want that to happen, Please God no. But when it comes to videos and naked photos and stuff, you know, what are.
Speaker 4: You going to do?
Speaker 1: I would be a core upset if I lost my phone than my wile while it is like you you can cancel the credit cards and then those numbers are just useless now and I can get my The one thing that's funny that they have now is my WGA card, So like they can go swipe in at the picket lines if they wanted to, or go get into the WJA library. Wait, they could be maybe they'll start submitting packets.
Speaker 3: They need to wear out those new vans in the in the line picketing the phone though it's I think I would rather because you know what, if I lose my ID, I have to go to the DMV.
Speaker 4: There's no way around it.
Speaker 3: You have to go, wait in line, take a ticket number, sit in that terrible space, wait for your number to be called. Realize you don't have all the right documentation. They send you back. It's like a lot of red tape with a phone. You just have to like wait for the Apple logo to like upload and it takes like twenty minutes at the store and then everything comes back pretty quickly.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well the idea you have to go.
Speaker 1: In California, you don't have to go.
Speaker 5: I just went on the website and I said, I someone stole my ID and they send you a new one for thirty dollars. Oh yeah, all right, that's not bad nothing. But that's why it wasn't so bad. I gave myself like fifteen seconds to be upset to do the thing that those girls were doing.
Speaker 1: I went, ah, I was just like, why do I have to do this?
Speaker 5: And I went down on my knees and I landed on the couch and then I got up and I and I did everything, and I was it was all you were.
Speaker 4: Going to say, the floor or the mattress would have been the same feeling.
Speaker 1: I landed.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I landed on the mattress and it was very painful. And then I got up and I did it. I fixed everything in the ID. The only thing I haven't gotten back it was my WGA card, which they need to call me back.
Speaker 3: Well, I guess some would say that you must mourn these things, and maybe the approach that we have is not healthy because it will just push down feelings of like loss. Like I think even with death, sometimes I can be this way. When I find out someone dies, I'm just like, all right, well, there's nothing I can do about it. Let's figure out what's next. Like I'm not gonna like me crying about it. It's not going to bring this person back, isn't going to change anything, like practical, Let's think about moving forward. Huey Herman died. I just saw that on my phone. I was like sad, But then I was like, well, of course, did I think he was gonna live forever? Like what everyone has to die? It was just kind of like, okay, yeah, oh god, that sucks. Okay, yeah, but there's nothing I can do about it. It's just I think it's maybe an unhealthy way to look at things sometimes, to move on from them so fast, because I know, you know, my friend cursed in this weekend, dropped a plate of cookies and was crying about it, and like what she scraped her knee too, And she spent all this time working on these cookies and they fell and they like were all over a garage floor and they were ruined and they were wet, so like I because I was like, if they're dry, just like wipe them off with a paper towels.
Speaker 4: Or like blowing them hard.
Speaker 3: It was fudge, but it was like fudge wet fudge on like you know, dirty floor.
Speaker 4: So they were ruined.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And she sent a picture and she was like her face was like cry looking, and she mourned them like she still like.
Speaker 4: Processes her emotions in a really good way.
Speaker 3: I would have just been like it was always gonna happen, Yeah, but what if.
Speaker 1: You don't feel anything you drop them.
Speaker 5: You're a little pissed at yourself, and then you don't feel the sadness is that bad?
Speaker 3: But maybe you don't feel the sadness because you're not letting it in. That's always what I wonder, Like the reason I'm not feeling it is because I'm not.
Speaker 4: In tune with it.
Speaker 1: Is that why I'm in so much fine?
Speaker 3: I'm gonna want to cut myself later because of this, like in weeks or like I'm gonna want to do I'm I'm gonna be depressed later because I'm not feeling this feeling.
Speaker 1: Oh it's like delayed, Yeah, repressed.
Speaker 5: So if I dropped a plate of cookies, I need to like mourn them for thirty minutes before moving on or else I'll get depressed later, feel maybe maybe.
Speaker 1: Is that real?
Speaker 5: Why can't it just be like I'm not a guy who who gets emotional like that, Like I don't feel the emotion at all. That's what I'm saying about the wallet is like I was frustrated for like a few, like thirty seconds, but then I didn't feel anything, Like I rarely feel anything.
Speaker 3: Well, I but you do because you are generally disgruntled about a lot of things.
Speaker 4: You feel things so much.
Speaker 1: That's like the only thing I feel is disgruntled.
Speaker 3: Like, well, the mattress thing is it makes sense to feel disgruntled about there's something you can do about it. The wallet, it's out of your hands. Literally, you know, there's nothing you can do. And I think that is just a freeing feeling when something's truly out of my hands.
Speaker 4: I'm just like, well, okay, what's next?
Speaker 1: Like acceptance is the I think.
Speaker 5: I think what Kirsten did is just taking the long road to the goal of acceptance. And like, for whatever reason, when you lost your phone and I lost my wallet, we didn't have to go through sadness Town in order to get to Acceptanceville.
Speaker 4: Yeah we went, we went around.
Speaker 1: Yeah we took the freeway, or you take a helicopter in the fog.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, Yeah, never do that. Why would you ever go Just let's do it anyway. I mean, I understand why that's been happened in the past. I know I understand why Kobe was like, let's just go through it and get to it, because he's a guy that has achieved the impossible.
Speaker 4: There's no obstacle.
Speaker 3: He couldn't just find a way through it, like fits with his character to be like this is the best pilot.
Speaker 4: I only have the best.
Speaker 3: There's a little bit of fog. I've been through fog and helicopters before. Let's just do it. But if you're not Kobe Bryant and you haven't achieved the apossible, don't fucking go.
Speaker 4: Don't just trust fog. How could you? Would you ever drive through fogg? I would pull over on the side of the road.
Speaker 1: Final thought, I've driven through fog.
Speaker 5: I mean when I was There was one time I was in a snowstorm. I was driving in South Dakota on the way to Badlands National Park, and I really felt like, this is the closest I ever come to dine eyeing in a car because besides an accident, because I was losing control of the car on the icy road like every two minutes, and we would be driving past other cars that had gone over the edge into the snow drift on the side of the highway. And then there was a point where there was also construction. And it was the craziest type of construction you can have. Imagine you're on a highway A sixty five in South Dakota. It was eighty mile an hour highway.
Speaker 1: You know how highways have a median.
Speaker 5: Yeah, this construction closed one side of the highway and directed traffic over the median onto the other side of the highway.
Speaker 4: So now two lane highway.
Speaker 5: You're on a two lane highway, but it's an eighty mile it's an eighty mile an hour, four lane highway going in both directions, and that right then would freak me the fuck out. But also it was icy blizzard conditions, and so I was like, this is fucking insane. Every every few minutes I look the steeler. The steering wheel of the car would not work.
Speaker 4: I don't like the outdoors.
Speaker 5: It would be on an ice drift, and I would just be like, do you when you're on an ice drift in the car? You just have to let go of the wheels sort of and just glide along with it. It's called it's like similar to hydro planning.
Speaker 1: You just have to kind of glide and let it go because if you fight against it, you'll just skid out. And that's what those other people did.
Speaker 3: I'd be so mad at my boyfriend for wanting to go to the fucking bad Lands if we ended up on a highway that was ice over going eighty miles an hour at each other.
Speaker 4: I would file for divorce before we were married.
Speaker 3: It was I would say I would never ever, honestly, I would be happy because it would prove everything I'm scared of, Like this is why we don't do this stuff, like this is why I don't go Why do What are the bad lands?
Speaker 4: So why would they?
Speaker 1: It's a national park?
Speaker 4: How are you even doing this?
Speaker 5: It's one of them where me and Ali want to go to all sixty three national parks before we die, and this is one of the national parks, and well, you.
Speaker 3: Better get to its because it sounds like you're putting yourself in situations where you're gonna die all the time to do this.
Speaker 1: Well, so we did the and also we were on that road for over two hours, the head to head eighty mile an hour highway in the blizzard.
Speaker 5: It was insane. And there you're in South Dakota. There was like, well, we can't just pull over over. We can't just pull over and then just be in the cold. We need to find a town and there just isn't any There's just nowhere to go. So we just had to keep going because we're going to the middle of nowhere, We're going to the bad lands. We were staying in Airbnb in Wasta, a little town that's got like fifteen people in it. We had to make it to Wata, so we made it. It did wind up paying off because we get to the bad Lands and the roads are closed because we got off the road just in time. They closed all the roads because of the blizzard, so nobody can get to where we are at all in any way. So we go to the bad Lands and we asked the park ranger how many cars are in the park, and he said, you are one of three cars in the entire park. And so we went into this park. It was like a winter wonderland and we were the only ones there and that was amazing. And we only did.
Speaker 4: It worth almost dying for, not worth.
Speaker 1: Almost dying for at all, but there was a payoff.
Speaker 4: If you had kids, would you have continued that journey?
Speaker 1: I would have in the car. I would have gone twice as fast.
Speaker 2: Oh, Brian, Brian, doesn't the snow though, make it look just like any other snow covered park.
Speaker 5: No, this looked amazing. I can't show your pictures. It looked pretty amazing. I mean it was, it was amazing just being there. It was freezing. It was like one degree.
Speaker 3: Now that first of all, I just think you get there and there's no stores open, there's nothing, there's no That sounds like hell, what do.
Speaker 4: You do for food?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 5: We had we had food in the car because this was like a we were doing a cross country road trip and we had food in the car, but it was like we were so at that point we were so starved for a hot meal. It was like we were eating canned soup or like, uh, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for days, and we were like, man, it would be nice to just.
Speaker 4: What actually is the payoff here?
Speaker 3: Just seeing beautiful trees with snow on them? Like, what's the payoff for going? I'm not playing dumb. I know this comes up all the time on the show, like what Nikki, why can't you just understand the beauty of a hike or whatever? What's the point of all of this?
Speaker 1: The point of it is that there is no point to anything.
Speaker 2: They're bonding. It's the bonding experience.
Speaker 1: All that matters is.
Speaker 5: I don't think it's well, we did bond, but that's not what we didn't do it so we can bond?
Speaker 3: Is the point to look at pretty things there is.
Speaker 4: That's the point. That's a that's a point.
Speaker 5: There is no point to doing anything in life. Life is inherently meaningless and pointless, and so all you have to do is decide that something has a pointint and then it does.
Speaker 4: But so what is that point that you decided.
Speaker 1: It was an adventure?
Speaker 4: It was you can scratch off on your bucket.
Speaker 5: For me, I love the idea of checking off that I'm on on my my list. But also it was an adventure, and that that trip we could have stayed it was like a seven week trip. We could have stayed at home and experienced nothing for seven weeks.
Speaker 1: But now we went and we go to brunch.
Speaker 3: You could go on walks, you could go shopping, you could go you could watch a bunch of TV shows.
Speaker 4: You could like we could do that, go on hikes around here.
Speaker 5: But that's not that that wouldn't have been as special. This was really special. We had an amazing time and that and that's why people go. I think there's a certain level where you shouldn't go in a helicopter in the middle of the fog, because like your chances of dying are so high, Like I wouldn't skydive. But like this to me, and we didn't anticipate being trapped in this snowstorm. This is just something that happened.
Speaker 3: Right, But there is you did go in the winter to a place that could have snowy that.
Speaker 4: Not a lot of restops.
Speaker 1: Well, no, no, it wasn't. It wasn't the winter.
Speaker 5: It was an unseasonable arctic blast.
Speaker 3: Well you went during climate change and that shit happens, so it's on you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, I okay.
Speaker 3: I will say that there is something in me that does understand why hikes would be nice because there is a I'm staying on this ranch and there is a tiny patch it's point probably zero for miles, so it's a it's a little little patch, less than a twentieth of a mile, and it's beautiful and it's like you walk through it and you're like in the woods and there's a waterfall and it's so nice. And I will walk that back and forth, back and forth, back and forth, just listening to a good song. That's my kind of hiking. It's right off from where I live. It is within I don't have to drive anywhere to get to it. I don't have to there's no climbing. There's an end anytime I want it to be. I am point zero four miles from an end. It is right there. It's just a pathway, and I can just go back and forth and get that sense of nature. And I found myself just going back and forth so often I go, oh my God, I think I like hiking, But the truth is I still don't like hiking because all the things about hiking that I don't like are not involved in this.
Speaker 4: This is what I like.
Speaker 3: I like finding a wooded path that I can walk back and forth on, like it's in the courtyard of my retirement home. And they just built it so, you know, they could I could pretend I'm out in the woods.
Speaker 4: That's what I like.
Speaker 3: So I do understand like being in nature feels good, but I want it to be close by. And man, I'm just like, I'm angry about this, this two lane highway experience.
Speaker 4: I'm so mad at you. I want Ali to file like was she was she mad about her?
Speaker 3: Was she just like, oh no, she likes this stuff, so she was probably like she is, like we did it.
Speaker 5: She's way less risk averse than me. I was like white knuckles, like I was freaked out. I was like, this is really bad and she could have died. She was freaked out normal, which is like for her, that is like screaming your head off.
Speaker 1: I was like, this is insane. That was I would never choose to do that.
Speaker 5: I don't even like driving on a regular two way like road, like a country road. I think it's so stupid that you can drive over fifty miles an hour in opposite directions on the road and just trust that the other person's not going to go over the yellow line. The yellow line doesn't stop anything. It's just a line in the middle of the road.
Speaker 4: It's just a line.
Speaker 3: And people be texting, man, people be grabbing an ice cream cone that day dropped in the passenger side seat.
Speaker 4: That's how Dawson's dad died.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 3: You ever like reach for something that dropped and like you can't help, but the steering wheel moves with you. Yeah, Like there's I can't believe people aren't.
Speaker 5: There's some really so much more often when you're eating in the car. One time I was eating in the car and like I forgot it was like something like a little bean, like a little tiny piece of the thing that I was eating fell and I was, and for some reason, I was like, I cannot allow that little bean to be on the floor of my car for another second while I'm driving. So I was reaching for the bean, and I was I felt myself like I'm out of control right now. Yes, I was like what the f and I had to stop myself. I was like, what the fuck am I doing? Is it really worth dying to pick up this bean for I'm gonna I could, I could eat, I'm gonna be done driving in thirty minutes, and I could spend all day looking for the bean.
Speaker 1: Why do I have to do it now?
Speaker 3: I relate to it so much. It's so reckless, it's so stupid.
Speaker 4: We have to go.
Speaker 3: But I wanted to just say what I want to get to tomorrow on the show. This weekend, I met one of the richest people in the planet and I can't wait to talk about that, and truly one of the most wealthy persons people on the planet Earth. And I got to like interview them about being so wealthy, which is so exciting. And then I want to talk about the book you're reading Noah Okay, and I want to talk about the festival you went to this weekend. Oh okay, and yeah, and I want to and then I think Anya will be with us tomorrow, but we'll see, we'll see if her internet is up and working. But that's everything that you will get from the podcast tomorrow. Thank you for listening today, Anya, we missed you.
Speaker 4: Don't be coo and just don't take any chances. Pull over, get the bean later