Speaker 1: It is Thursday, September fourteenth. This is Jaguars Happy Hour. Jaguars Happy Hour is presented by the Saint John's River Water Management District and now a guy who's on the Mount Rushmore. Of people who aren't on Mount Rushmore, J. P.
Speaker 2: Shavar and you don't want to know the reason why. Welcome in.
Speaker 3: It's Jaguars Happy Hour. It is week two. It's Thursday. There's a lot going on at the Miller Electric Center. We've got a lot happening the next two hours here on Jaguars Radio. Jaguars Happy Hour brought to you by the Saint John's River Water Management District, Florida's water. It's worth saving. Chiefs Jaguars. In week two, we'll go through the defense of Patrick Mahomes and the weapons around him. Well, Trevor Lawrence has some weapons around him on offense. Do they plan to attack the Kansas City Chiefs. Maybe we'll hear from the head coach about that. Doug Peterson will join us at five o'clock for the Doug Peterson Show in studio with us here at the middle of Electric Center. JP Shadwick, Jeff Logoman. We're on Tenton XL ninety two point five FM, Jaguars dot Com and Jaguars YouTube all the places. Jeff Logoman, Good afternoon, Good.
Speaker 2: Afternoon, JP. Big game this week. Well it's the big game because it's the next game. Oh no, it's not. No, it's not. However, it's a really big next game. It's as big as they come. Look it's the Super Bowl champs. Man, they're coming to your house. Last year you had to go to their house twice. You know, this game could have seated implications down the road. You never know. You'd rather have it than not. Oh. Absolutely, And then here's an opportunity. Put Kansas City at oh to two. And they have been competing in the postseason from the comfy confines of Arrowhead Stadium for how many years now.
Speaker 3: They've hosted They hosted five AFC Championship games in a row.
Speaker 2: All right, So why not try to change that little set up there that they've got. It would be nice.
Speaker 3: The last time the Chiefs were zero and two was twenty fourteen Bugs and Alex Smith was the quarterback, Doug Peterson was the offensive coordinator. Patrick Mahomes was a freshman at Texas Tech. It's been a while. They finished nine and seven though they rallied.
Speaker 2: Well it's you know, look, I let him rally next week, just not this week. And how about this?
Speaker 3: So yeah, Andy Reid, if he gets a win, would tie Tom Landry for the fourth most wins in the history of the NFL.
Speaker 2: Wow. So he's one win from tying Landry if he wins on Sunday. All right, well, I mean take that a couple of weeks away too. Andy Reids a Hall of Fame coach. I mean, at some point he's gonna be in Canton and very deserving. But you know, and look, Doug Peterson has never beat him. What is it was Doug O three now against Andy Reid one in Philly and then to two last year. So I think it's time to change that. I'm sure that Doug would like to to get on the winning side of things against the teacher so to speak, or the mentor whatever you want to call him. I mean, the first time they crossed paths was when Doug was a player with Green Bay and Andy was a quarterbacks.
Speaker 3: Coach, right he was, well, he was actually I think the tight ends coach at first, and then switched over in the last year or so and Doug was there, and then you know, obviously when Andy Reid got the job in Philly, he came over to Philly as a quarterback, that gave him a chance to start in Philly of all things, and then followed him as an assistant when when Reid was in Philadelphia as the head coach, and when he came back into coaching. So a long history with Andy Reid, obviously on and off the field, and it continues this Sunday. Jacks fans want customized Jaguars furnitship for your home. Checkout zip cheer dot com and browse all customizable options zip chair furniture for fans. But other storyline this week, of course, I mean the quarterbacks, Mames versus Lawrence. It doesn't get much bigger than that. It's one of those matchups you really could remember for a long time. Game of the week could be.
Speaker 2: I mean, where's a better game at I mean, if if you look at the NFL schedule and you know when you say game of the week, you're talking top quarterbacks in the league, and you know tonight you've got Jalen Hurts versus uh Kirk Cousins. I mean, that's not a marquee matchup. I mean, it's a good match up just because it's Philadelphia and and then by themselves as a draw to me because I think there's such a talented team across across. I mean I'm talking offense, defense, special teams, all of them. You got the Ravens and the Bengals this week. That's a good match up. Yeah, I mean it's good. But I mean, does Lamar Jackson make you go wow? Yes, I mean he does when he when he runs it. I mean, but I mean is he wont an MVP? I mean, but is he in the conversation of the elite quarterbacks in the a f C. I mean from the running standpoint, he, yes, he is. I don't see it. I mean I think he's just step back. I'm not saying that's a better matchup than this one. I'm saying that's still a very no.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 2: I think it's a very good Okay, very good, to use your turn, very good, very good Texans rookies. Wait a minute, Jack's Chiefs. That's excellent. Yes, okay, very good versus excellent. I'm taking that.
Speaker 3: Okay, fine, Colts Texans young rookies first round draft picks.
Speaker 2: This year.
Speaker 3: Okay, give it some time down the line. Maybe Rams No. Dolphins Patriots No. Two is getting better, getting better.
Speaker 2: He was number one ready quarterback in Week one. Pretty darn sure. You're right, Hey, that's it is the I think I think it's the best matchup of the week. I mean from a quarterback standpoint. And but it's one of those.
Speaker 3: Like you'll you'll look back at this game maybe and who knows how the game goes, how the next few years ago will determine a lot of this. But maybe if the Jaguars get over the top of this game and it carries them in this season into the postseason where they all of a sudden in a year or two times have taken the throne from Kansas City, you might look back at this game as maybe the turning point.
Speaker 2: Well maybe, but I mean, look, taking the throne from Kansas City. I mean, look, they got two, they got two Super Bowl wins in the last three years. Well that's history. Well I mean, yeah, JP, I'm all for it, you know, Okay, but I don't think I think that I think there's gonna be a rotating crown, so to speak, in the AFC. And you just want to be in that rotation because I mean, look, there's some talented quarterbacks. I think that this game can go a long way towards solidifying Trevor Lawrence in the conversation with Joe Burrow and Patrick Mahomes and Justin Herbert and Lamar Jackson. I mean, okay, if you want to talk about the elite quarterbacks, I mean, this could do it for Trevor. But you you've got to have a moment. And I think Trevor had a moment last year against Justin Herbert in the playoffs. That was a big one. Well, now if you do that against Patrick Mahomes, people are going to say, whoa him? Justin Herbert, Patrick Mahomes. Okay, who's next? Darty? Did Lamar Jackson last year? Right? The Bills would be next to Tottenham? Right? And then coming up in England? Is that considered London by the way? Okay, it's a big city, Yes it is. It's like Wembley is considered London, but yet it's not really London. It's London, but it's not really. It's easier to say London. Okay, that's right.
Speaker 3: Also a big game that Josh all big games, right, big game? Maybe Josh will throw three picks to the Jags, and well, I hope so, and we got some weeks to get to that game. This is the one, though, and this is the matchup where Okay, Patrick Mahomes doesn't have the weapons he had a couple of years Tyreek Hills in Miami now.
Speaker 2: And by the way, what did he have like three hundred yards receiving the other day.
Speaker 3: Because they decided to play man coverage against him all over the place? Hell uh, pretty wild. So he doesn't have that over the top guy anymore.
Speaker 2: Juju Smith Schuster was not an over the top guy, but at least he was Patrick's guy last year. And where did he go? He's in He's somewhere else. He's not in Kansas City. So you have Marquez Valdez Scantling. I mean Patriots sky Moore, Juju Smith Shuster's of the Patriots. You know, sky Moore was a draft pick a couple of years ago and he hasn't really done it. I think Caadarius Tony had the worst rated game by a wide receiver in the National Football League Week one, and you know he's capable of better than that. But I mean, he had a tough outing, and then you have draft picks Justin Watson, Richie James, Justin Ross. I mean, a bunch of guys, you know. But the reality is is that Patrick Mahomes can make a lot of guys look really good. And when he has Travis Kelcey, he's not just a guy. I mean, this guy's awesome. I mean, what what is he I was doing numbers. Seven consecutive one thousand yard seasons for Travis Kelcey remarkable, it really is. I mean, he had like the first couple of years he had I think like seven eight hundred yards receiving and then bam, thousand thousand, thousand, thousand thousand thousand thouars. He's awesome. And if he's nicked up and not quite one hundred percent, great because I can tell you know, look, that's that's that's an area the Jaguars defense struggle with last year defending tight ends. You could say that for the past decade, you know. Look, I mean, look, I'm just living in the present. Made a career against this, You'm just living in the present.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 2: Last year, nobody in the league gave up more receiving yards to tight ends than the Jaguars. Fair. And part of the reason why is that they faced Travis Kelcey. Yes twice, Yeah, that's right. And in the playoff the playoff didn't count that I'm talking about.
Speaker 3: But in the playoff game, you know, fourteen catches, only ninety eight yards, but still two touchdownds.
Speaker 2: I mean, he was oh effective in that. He's so good. He's just he's crafty. But you don't big.
Speaker 3: What you don't want from him the longs is him running wild for like the thirty yard games. That's when it can get really strange. I mean that can take a six.
Speaker 2: Yard game here or there, but not very often that he has a thirty yard gain. I mean, that's kind of the outlier with him. He's a tight end. Most tight ends are somewhere in that eight to twelve yard per reception range. Kelsey's typically a little bit on the higher end of that. But he's got a ton of receptions. I mean, just I mean a tight end that consistently gets a thousand yards. I mean, is he the greatest tight end ever? Ever? No, gronk, you think, I mean, look at the numbers. I mean, let's look at the numbers. Let's get to the break. And we'll pull the numbers out because I'm gonna tell you now, that's that's a great argument. We could probably get into that about the man. I'm a big fan of Gronk, but man, consistency wise, it's hard to get better than Kelsey. Now their their neck and neck for sure. So here's the question for the Jaguars defense. How do you begin to slow him down? How do you defend him Kelsey? Bang him on the line of scrimmage and try to put two on them when you can. I mean, that's what you gotta do. I mean, he's he's the most consistent weapon for Patrick Mahomes play in and play out, and when you want to stop somebody, you want to take away the bread and butter, and right now, I mean that's that's the most comfortable bread and butter thing that Travis or that Patrick Mahomes haves is Travis Kelsey. I mean, he's that good. I mean, he's he's just dynamic in so many different ways, and he's you know, he's pretty decent blocker too, you know, which is kind of odd. A lot of times when you get a guy that just wants to he just wants to catch the ball, but Kelsey's willing to do a little bit of the dirty work as well. And those two guys, I mean, one little look from one to the other, and it's like this unspoken communication that happens with these two guys, and all of a sudden they change the route and do things that adjustments on the sideline. I mean, and he's a special player now. And here's the crazy thing. Kelsey hasn't missed a game in like forever. I mean, for him to miss the opening game, I mean, I think he has I don't know how many consecutive games with a catch, but the number is just jaw dropping. It's just it's incredible. They always find a way to get the ball to him. If he's out there, well, he finds a way to open the lane to get the ball to him. I mean, he's that good. I don't think you can cover him with one guy. I mean, JP, name me one guy on this Jaguars football team that you would feel good about. You know what, Hey, you covered Kelsey and we're gonna be just fine.
Speaker 3: So it's Kelsey's not like a dynamic, fast guy though, right, But but I mean tell me somebody that I feel you would feel good about that.
Speaker 2: I mean him or Cisco somebody like that. You feel good about that? Yeah, I don't feel great about it, but I'm not feeling great about it. Who would you put on him? Now? Two? Both of them on them, two different guys. Both of those guys Dena. Lloyd and Andre Cisco. Good luck you are not getting the football play with twelve. We'll see what happens with that.
Speaker 3: It's something to watch obviously in this game to see his status as we move along and get the injury report coming up.
Speaker 2: And just a little bit as well.
Speaker 3: And Jaguars Happy Hour is brought to you by the Saint John's River Water Management District, Florida's water. It's worth saving. Well, come back in a moment. Jaguars offense. What could they do against the Chiefs defense this week? Chris Jones is back, you might have heard on the defensive line for the Chiefs. And at about four thirty Kay Stevens joins us in studio. We are underway on Thursday. It is Jaguars Happy Hour.
Speaker 6: As the game progresses, they get better, right and and so that's something that is a challenge for us, you know, and one of the things that we've been able to do most recently, is is is the same thing, you know, get better kind of as the game progresses and get into the fourth quarter, and evident of that last week, you know, and and how we you know, we're able to score. Defense gets to stop things like that, and and you know, it could it could come down to that, right, It could come down to a kick, could come down to whoever has the ball last, which you know you do look at the playoff game, right and if we don't, we.
Speaker 2: Don't fumble, hopefully you score.
Speaker 6: You're down three with you know, five minutes to go, you get, you know, so it's going to come down to those types of types of moments.
Speaker 2: It's the head coach, Doug Peterson.
Speaker 3: You'll hear more from him coming up at five o'clock on the Doug Peterson Show. This is Jaguars Happy Hour, brought to you by the Saint John's River Water Management District, Florida's Water It's worth saving, JP Shadrick, Jeff Flageman. The Game this Sunday, presented by EverBank, The Chiefs and the Jaguars Coming up. We're on ten ten XL ninety two point five FM. Jaguars dot Com Jaguars YouTube. Lad, you're with us?
Speaker 2: Hit us up on X as well at JP Shadwick at Logs five to six X formerly known as Twitter Yeah posts on X. Yeah.
Speaker 3: All right, So the Jaguars offense last week, just briefly review. You know, third and fourth downs not ideal for this the Jags offense, but they found a way in key moments late to score and they put up thirty one points on a day where they were just awful on third and fourth down. Well, and credit the defense that really, I think. Look, they hung a thirty one donut on the Colts, but without defense, that doesn't happen. I mean, there's just no way.
Speaker 2: I think what really impressed me and I just couldn't want to focus in on the defense just for a little minute because that really enabled the offense the time to get better in the course of the game. And if you think about it, when the Colts took the lead or the Jaguars took the lead at seventeen fourteen, they hit a stretch of offense that was just miserable, I mean, not good at all. And during that stretch was the sack calls, fumble return for a touchdown, the quad effective for Devorce Buckner. But in that stretch, the Jaguars defense I think had three three and outs and then a takeaway which led to the forty seven yard punt return by Jamal Agno. So I mean the defense in that stretch when they needed them most, they were lights out, lights out, and then all of a sudden, you get the punt return. The offense wakes up, thank goodness, to a fourth down conversion to Zay Jones on that drive, second of the game for and then boom, you're you're in the end zone. And then you come back out. Tyson gets a really nice interception on a poorly thrown ball by the rookie, and then the offense takes it down the field in just a couple of plays in the end zone, and now it's a two possession game and the game is essentially over because Anthony Richardson just I mean, that's not the position you want to have a young quarterback. Then, But the defense I think got to give them a lot of credit. A lot of people had a lot of questions about, including me, you know, can they rush the passer, can they hold up you know, they didn't add any parts or pieces to the component through the off season. Is that going to be okay? And look, they played fantastic three takeaways as a defense. You got seven points off of those three takeaways. You also stop the Colts two times on downs. Just a tremendous job. Tremendous job.
Speaker 3: Yeah, really good job in the offense. Now moving ahead against this Kansas City defense. You know they've they've got Chris Smith. How much of a difference will that make up front? Jaguars have a couple of guys on the injury report this week. We'll see their statut Chris Jones this week. Well, Chris Jones up front. First of all, yes, we'll get to that. But there are there the center and right guard, both on the injury report for the Jaguars'll see what We'll see their status moving ahead. But what can you really expect from Chris Smith being out for so long?
Speaker 2: Chris Smith? What do you mean, Christmas, Chris Chris Jones. Jeez my gosh, what in the world it was like a base I don't know. It's a long day. And Chris Smith, former Jaguars defensive passed away recently. Yes, God rest his soul, Chris Jones. I think you're talking about twenty five snaps in this game because you're you're talking ninety degree temperatures. Possibly it's his first action back. He is the best player on the Chiefs defense hands down. It's not even an argument. I mean, he's that good. You're talking about the second best defensive tackle in the league. The only guy that I think that can dominate a game like an Aaron Donald from that defensive tackle spot. I mean, he's just he's unbelievable. And the Jaguars have a weakness right now. The performance that deforce Buckner had this past game showed that the Jaguars need to be better at those two guard spots in the center position. You know, Barts was in his first game back and hadn't played in a while, was coming back from a significant knee entry, had a little bit of a playtime there against Miami Dolphins. Well, this guy this week, I mean, it's a whole I don't want to say it's a whole different level, because deforce Buckner is one of the elite tackles in the game, with probably like number five or six, but I mean we're talking about number two here, Okay, number two. That's a big, strong he can rush the passer. He can do everything, everything, and I'm surprised that they were able to get him back in the fold on a one year deal. I mean, I'm just I'm shocked. I mean, I was reading through. I have to go find it again. Some of the incentives to do that. If they make a run again, let's say they go win the Super Bowl, he's getting a significant bonus that comes with some of the playtime incentives, a lot of the number incentives, everything comes with that. If he gets voted to these things, they've added that to the at least this one year, I would guess. I mean, they're gonna go fix that. Well, Chris Jones said himself. He said, look, he said, they gave me enough of an increase this year that would cover the fines, because I remember he had fines that could not be rescinded for missing time in training camp because he had a con track and then also the missed game check. So he's going to make all of that back and he's gonna get some more. And I haven't heard whether or not that there was an agreement to have the ability to tag him or not at the end of this deal. I was hoping that he would hold out for another week. I wouldn't have been entirely upset, but I mean, he he's such a good football player that he now makes them better because not only are they getting him back, but now they're putting other players back in the position that they can be better at as well. For example, Mike Dana, Okay, Mike Dana is a kind of a defensive end, good player, strong player. They had him as an inside rusher of this past game. Well, he's a powerful guy. I love keep him outside, you know, naughty another defensive tackle. It's a very good football player that they have for Kansas City, and now you allow him to be in a comfortable position playing where he's should be at. You know, they're trying to have everybody kind of cover for the lack of Chris Jones being on the on the football team this past game. This week, you know, you're gonna still have to do some things, but you're gonna have the man back in the middle.
Speaker 3: A few of those numbers that we were just talking about for Jones, Yeah, he gets a million bucks for participating thirty five percent of the snaps, another million for fifty percent. If he gets ten sacks, he gets one point two five. Now it's one point seven to five s fifteen, So it just builds up and up, and the two point one million dollars in training camp fines are not waivable. That's why they added all these incentives. Right, that's the point.
Speaker 2: All right, So.
Speaker 3: What does this defense normally feel like in Kansas City? How do they Yeah, they normally play it pretty daring.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would call him daring. And Steve Spagnola, the defensive coordinator, likes to play some aggressive ball. He will he will bring blitzes. He will play cover zero behind it, which means that nobody's getting anybody help. Nobody's getting any help. A lot of times if you blitz, then you can have a single high safety deep in the middle to help, you know, if somebody gets out, he can be there to kind of make that touchdown saving tackle. Cover zero means there is no safety help, nobody's there at all. You're on your island all by yourself. Okay, Tom Hanks castaway, We'll see what you are. Wilson Wilson. Yeah, you're hanging out with Wilson, which is nobody. But yeah, he's a he's a guy that will that will take risks he likes bringing speed, and if you have a quarterback that has a quickness of the mind and can make the decisions quickly and can deliver the ball accurately, you could have a quarterback have a big day. And so could this be a big day for Trep Very well? Could be, you know, because if you're going to bring that pressure now, you're gonna single Evan Ingram, You're gonna single Calvin Ridley, You're gonna single Christian Kirk and Zay Jones. And if the quarterback is on, you're gonna pay a price if you can get it out. Gotta block them. No, there's no doubt. I mean the one I think the most important component about the execution of the offense this week is that the offensive line has to take a step up. I mean this pass game that you know and look for a lot of reasons that you give them an excuse I don't want to say an excuse, but a pass whatever you want to call it, an explanation as to why their performance wasn't where you wanted it to be. You know, you you had multiple guys that weren't playing because of injury. Leading up to the game. BArch was again coming back from from an injury. The only guy that for the most part, that was out there through the entirety of training camp was Fortner and then sheriff. Tom Harrison, your right tackled had a right shoulder injury. It's been bothering. He's been in and out of practice. Walker Little missed the last preseason game for precautionary reasons because of some injury we don't really know about.
Speaker 3: And he was splitting time in camp with with Cam Robinson.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then Bartch obviously coming back from a significant knee injury. Shatley, who had to play when Sheriff went down, hadn't practiced much in camp because of the aphib stuff. I mean, it's so a lot of reasons to explain why their performance wasn't where it needed to be. And and I think they're gonna get better, okay, and this week would be a great time to do that. How do you help him? Well, I think Trevor is really good at helping an offensive line as far as you know, he gets the ball out, he moves in the pocket, he feels pressure, he buys time without having to do the the wiggly things that Josh Allen would term that Patrick Mahomes does. That's a great term. By the way that he uses He's Wiggley's.
Speaker 3: Fair grade line sense makes sense. Hey, plenty ahead. We're back in a moment. Kay Stevens will join us in studio Jaguars Reporter. Jaguars Happy Hour is brought to you by the Saint John's River Water Management District, Florida's water it's worth saving. We're told standing room tickets only for this Sunday at the Bank.
Speaker 2: Sixty nine thousand plus strong. Who can't wait? H this is Jaguars Happy Hour.
Speaker 5: I would say easy. I think it's simple to make the adjustments. It's sometimes harder to execute. But I do think that the most pretty much all the things are self inflicted that we did on Sunday to put us in these bad situations. So should be able to clean those up, and we have to. You gotta play cleaner than that if you expect to win. Obviously, our defense had some huge stops, but you know that's putting a lot of pressure on them time after time to do that and kind of bring us out of that hole. And we don't want to do that, So you know, you got to You gotta play cleaner. Like we talked about playing against a team like the Chiefs this this Sunday. You know you got to you got to execute better than that.
Speaker 3: That's quarterback Trevor Lawrence and welcome back. It's Jaguars Happy Hour, brought to you by the Saint John's River Water Management District, Florida's water It's worth saving.
Speaker 4: J P.
Speaker 2: Shadrick, Jeff Flageman.
Speaker 3: We're on ten t XL ninety two point five FM, Jaguars dot Com, Jaguars YouTube, all the places today. Kai Stevens joining us in the studio now, Jaguars Reporter.
Speaker 4: Good afternoon, Hello, happy to see you guys.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's Chiefs Week.
Speaker 4: It's Chiefs Week.
Speaker 2: Kind of a big game.
Speaker 4: I'd say, so if they can't fill the bank for that game, then they're never going to. But I know they already have sold it out, so I think we should be good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it should be a packed house, great environment. Obviously, before we get into that, would you take Kelsey or Gronk as you're tied in all time as you're tied d if you're building in their.
Speaker 2: Prime, Yeah, one of the other. You'll check. You're taking Gronk.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you can't cover Gronk. No one could drag him down when he was healthy. When right, yes, brought healthy prime Gronk.
Speaker 2: He still scored ninety something touchdowns when he was hurt all the time. Yes, yeah, but he only had four one thousand yard seasons. Kelsey's had seven now in county. He's also got how many super Bowl rings to go with? Travis got two and was.
Speaker 4: In two other ones. Yeah, yeah, they lost.
Speaker 2: I mean it's two of the greatest all time. I mean it's like you wouldn't go wrong either way. Yes, I think Gronk's a better blocker. I will say that.
Speaker 4: Gronk was always impressed with me because he's not fast, but he's still with just no one could bring him. It was like two people would have to tackle him to get him down, so that alone, he would just drag people with him.
Speaker 2: Right, and once he got a full head of steam.
Speaker 4: Yeah, get and listen. He's not slow. I don't mean that. I just mean in terms of, like he's not out running anybody, so like he'll get out and get open, but then he'll drag two people with him another twenty yards. So I would definitely take.
Speaker 2: A great debate though. I mean today's all then and done.
Speaker 4: It'll be probably Kelsey, depending how much longer he plays.
Speaker 3: But yeah, he plays another five years at this level. Come on, I think if you can pay eleven years.
Speaker 4: Right, if you can take out the injuries and have prime Gronk, I would have Gronk.
Speaker 2: Great debate. Yeah, I don't know. I don't know in today's day and age, just passing.
Speaker 4: League also a point of yeah, I mean, it depends what kind of scheme you're in, It depends who your quarterback is, it depends if it's twenty twenty three or twenty ten modern day.
Speaker 2: I'm taking Kelsey.
Speaker 3: All I know is the Jaguars get to line up across from him this week, and it hasn't gone especially well against him the last two times. Last time it was, you know, kind of chipping down the field. Fourteen catches in the game, still under one hundred yards, two touchdowns in the playoff game. But if he's out there, no matter if he's one hundred percent or not, he's a primary target for number fifteen.
Speaker 4: I'm curious how much we'll see him though, because if he does, obviously it sounds like it might be a game time decision. At this point. I know he's been practicing, but how much how much will we actually see him play because if he has banged up a little bit, I mean that's a pain issue, of course. And with all the other people that seem to be dropping balls, you're gonna want to see. They're going to want to have him out there as much as they can. But is Patrick Mahomee's going to be able to trust some of those guys that had the dropsies last week? I mean he'll have to, but it's easier said than done when you're out there and you're trying to find somebody down the field.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it's going to be if Kelsey's out there, he's full go Okay, Yeah, I think if he's not going to be out there, well, you know, we're gonna kind of limit him or something like that. That he's been around the game too long, I think to be used in that fashion. And all the drops you're talking about Cadarius Tony, poor guy. The guy had a rough go for four drops, big words. Well he had and that's you know, and he re talked about it this week. He said, you know, that's typically that's not his thing. You know, he's got sure hands and well this past game or you know, a week ago, that was his game. Not a good one. But you know, here's the here's reality. You go and look at he had the worst radiant of a wide receiver by PFF and week one the second worst hated running back was Tang Pigsby. You know, so, I mean Bigsby had one of those days too, you know where he had the fumble and then the ball off his hands and Lee's doing an interception. But you know, you sit there and you go, well, he's a rookie, Kadarius Tony. What is in like year four? You're that old? Yeah, year three or four? Maybe three, it's not long, it's not the three. Yeah, yeah, you're three.
Speaker 4: So it's just tough when it's in primetime because then that's all anybody's gonna remember of you for a while.
Speaker 2: Speaking of that, that's why the Juwan Taylor situation grew up. The right tackle.
Speaker 4: I obviously was not here last year, so it's the first I've seen of this situation, and I was like, oh, and then everyone I came to work, they're like, oh, did you see that? They finally talked about John Taylor. We've been talking about that for years, So you guys were.
Speaker 2: Forever and we didn't talk about it much because he was on the Jaguars. He's on our team, and we were going to complain about it. But the reality is is that he did the same thing. We're in teal. But because the Jaguars stunk essentially for the early part of his tenure and it didn't garner any attention, Well, then he goes to a Super Bowl champion team and then it's going to become front page and center for everybody to watch. And I guarantee you there's a reaction reaction by the league this week, guarantee.
Speaker 3: In which regard the lining up behind the rear end of the center part or the getting the jump on the snap part or both.
Speaker 4: When you watch the film, the timing he's almost always on spot on is.
Speaker 2: It's a lot of the Yeah, it's the lining up.
Speaker 4: I don't know if it technically is a penalty. Yeah, it's the lining up where he's like two feet behind everybody else. I think that would be the breaking up the rule. He is immaculate with the timing, Like even when you slow down and it's frame by frame, it's like he's on the money. So I don't even know if that's anything.
Speaker 2: I've slowed it down for like the first four years of his career. Is he timing and up and he's really good at it. Every now and again he'll he'll be a little early, okay, but an official, it's got to be really obvious for them to throw the flag on that. But the alignment thing, it's not even a question.
Speaker 4: I mean, he's far behind it. And he's also like off to the side as well.
Speaker 2: You know, the rule is is that you have to be able to break the plane of the of the belt of the center. Okay, he's not even touching the outer cheek by the belt the belts, so not the rear end. It's where the actual belt the like the mid hip belt somewhere, and that it's got a it's got a. He's not even breaking the plane of the end of the cheeks of the center. No, okay, not even both cheeks. And no, it's not all the time. I mean, it's occasionally that he is so far back. And last week he obviously wanted to have that advantage because he's going against a marvelous player in Aiden Hutchinson's Yeah, and that's a that's a huge advantage for a tackle if he can line up that deep. I mean, as a pass rusher, one of the great things that you always want is the ability to threaten the upfield shoulder of a tackle. And if he can line up another yard and a half or a half a yard deeper, it takes away the advantage of trying to get the corner on the guy. You can't you can't get it.
Speaker 3: Crowd noise will be big this week. That would be nice to give them some more issues on the offensive line this week, right, you hope you know.
Speaker 2: And here's the thing. Kansas City, they went out and they've got two entirely new tackles, Donovan Smith formerly at the Tampa Bay Bucks, and then obviously Juwan at right tackle. The three inside guys are really good, I am really good. Joe Tooney who came from New England at left guard. He was a top five guard for the last couple of years. And then the center, Creed Humphrey might be one of the best three centers in all of football. And they got one in Philadelphia who Kelsey's brother and Jason kell See. And then the guy in Baltimore from Iowa is another one that's right there at the top. I can't remember his name. Good football player. The Jaguars really liked him coming out in the draft. And then at right guard, Tray Smith's a good football player too, So I mean this might be the best group of three when you talk about guard guard center that the Jaguars will face looking forward to the matchup for sure. And yeah, the Chiefs have a couple of running backs too, by.
Speaker 3: The way, if they choose to go that routeless Jaguars defense though, can be up to the task in the run game.
Speaker 2: All Access tonight, what you got, we.
Speaker 4: Got the big man's coming through and Roy robertson here.
Speaker 3: Speaking of stopping the run. A big Roy up front, that'll be fun.
Speaker 4: He's always a good time. So I'm excited to see.
Speaker 2: Him defensive captain.
Speaker 4: I know is his first year as captain. Yeah, right, Yeah, that's great. I'm not surprised. I mean, he's certainly a leader and vocally and he's he's truly he's so kind and he's so nice. But he truly is one of those people when he's like on the field ready for the game, you're like, I get out of the way. Like he really does I think flip a switch to a different human being. So I just stay out of his way. So he's about as intimidating as it gets for me.
Speaker 2: He is a big, strong dude. I mean big strong dude. When you watch the battles of some of the best, most powerful offensive lineman in football, Roy can handle him. I mean I'm talking handle him. The one guy last week, Quentin Nelson. Everybody thinks he's great, and he's strong, he's great. Roy handles him like, you know, he comes off on Roy and was like, yeah, gotcha, you know it's all good.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 2: Roy doesn't struggle against anybody power wise. I don't know where he generates his strength from, but he is. He is a man's man when it comes to power, playing the game with power.
Speaker 3: We'll get you to see that up close and personal tonight at String Sports Brewery, seven o'clock right, Yes, different station tonight. I think there's some coverage on Fox somewhere else. I think it's on CBS.
Speaker 4: I think you're correct. I think it is on CBS.
Speaker 2: Stumped logs with that, he had no idea. I was like, yeah, you're right, JP, Yeah.
Speaker 3: Whatever you say, I'll be it straight I'll be there, Kai will see you have a good one.
Speaker 4: Thanks guys.
Speaker 3: Kay Stevens joining us Jaguars reporter from Jaguars dot Com. Jaguars Happy Hour is brought to you by the Saint John's River Water Management District, Florida's water. It's worth saving. The injury report coming up that at five o'clock. Head coach Doug Peterson in studio with us on the Doug Peterson Show. This is Jaguars Happy Hour. Welcome back. It's Jaguars Happy Hour, brought to you by the Saint John's River Water Management District, Florida's water.
Speaker 2: It's worth saving.
Speaker 3: Thanks to Kay Stevens, I'm JP, Shadrick, Jeff Loghiman alongside Jaguars Happy Hour on TENENEXL ninety two point five FM, Jaguars dot Com, Jaguars YouTube coming up in Oh Gosh, about thirteen minutes and change, twelve minutes and change. It's the Doug Peterson Show on the Jaguars Radio Network. The Jaguars head coach will be in studio with us and coming off a ten point road divisional win and facing his former boss again. Andy Reid looking forward to hearing from Doug.
Speaker 2: Coming up. Yeah, it'll be interesting to kind of hear from that standpoint. You know, when you go up against the teacher, so to speak, you always want to win. And Doug hasn't beaten Andy in three tries so far. And it's never just a one on one battle, okay between coaches, it's teams. But there's nothing better, I'm sure than beating the teacher. If you are the student, tell.
Speaker 3: Right after that long right, you learned almost everything you know as an NFL coach from him.
Speaker 2: If you've got a competitive fiber in your being, you want to beat the man that you worked for, the man that helped groom you, the man that helped shape you. And it would go a long way towards kind of establishing this football team in the conversation of one of the best teams in the AFC. And you know last year, you know when they end up nine and eight at the end of the year, won a division, kind of came back and ended up winning a bunch of games there towards the end, we're like, yeah, yeah, this is great. Okay, well if you take that next step. Okay, now, instead of being happy and surprised by winning, you expect to win and you can tell that that's a very distinct change from last year at this point to where we are right now. They expect to win. You heard it from if you watched any of the sounds of the game. I mean Trevor Lawrence in the tunnel before they ran out to warm up before the game. It's like, you know, expected, we're here, this is this is not negotia. Basically, he didn't say that exactly, but he said expect it. That's a win, that's right. And he is so mature beyond his years. I mean, it's just it's a joy to watch. And I don't know, and look, there's been some other twenty three year old quarterbacks that have played really well, Patrick Mahomes being one of them. But the maturity level that Trevor shows is I think it's impeccable. And that's that's hard to find. I mean, for him to be able to bounce back after one of the worst lost years in franchise history, for him to be able to bounce back from that kind of unharmed was I think tremendous. Well, let's continue to see it between the lines on Sundays. Just keep building them as they as they go along. That's where you'll really see the results of that come through. You know what I want to watch, I want to train. You know. Look, we were talking earlier about how Steve Spagnola, the defensive coordinator of the Chiefs, is pretty aggressive. You know, he likes to it's a gamble a little bit. When I say gamble, he's not afraid to blitz. Okay, if you blitz, then that means you're leaving a weekend coverage because it's kind of a you have to choose one or the other. Do you leave extra guys in coverage or do you send extra guys trying to pressure the quarterback? Or you can try to play it balanced. He likes to bring extra in the rush package, so that means that you're gonna have a little depleted coverage. So if you're gonna be depleted, probably gonna end up playing man who's gonna cover redly, who's gonna cover Ingram? I think they have better options at covering Ingram. This is a game that I believe in Kirk. Christian Kirk can have a big game. Right if you think about the games last year, how many throws were just so close to connecting and he still put up numbers. Yeah, without those, yes, I think this is gonna be you know, and having a game in which he had three targets only one catch in Indianapolis and Trevor didn't even see him open a couple of times. Uh, look, you gotta you gotta, you gotta function within the offense as a quarterback. Okay. But then there's also times where hey, look it's my guy, right, I gotta make sure I get something to my guy. I wouldn't be surprised if early in this ball games that's like, you know, the gun, you know, Trevor throwing the sound like a gun. It's not sound like a crunchy shoulder. That's not a good sound at all. Trevor hitting Christian Kirk easily don't even better? That better? Yeah, a little better. Okay. I'm looking forward to because I don't think the Chiefs can cover them. I don't, I mean, I don't. I mean, and I think that's gonna be an opponent's problem every week, you know.
Speaker 3: But that's I mean, because the Chiefs understand what they have on the offensive side in Mahomes and the play caller and weapons whatever weapons are around him, right, they feel like they're gonna get their thirty points.
Speaker 2: Per game, so they didn't get it last week.
Speaker 3: But in theory, they feel like they could hold on. They're gonna get their thirty points per game on offense. That's why they can take risks on defense and maybe try for a takeaway, get a sack fumble. All you need is a couple stops In.
Speaker 2: Theory, maybe maybe, But here's the thing. Last last game, okay, cam City played Detroit. Detroit just played coverage. They didn't do anything fancy to stop Patrick Mahomes. They just sat back and played his own and they weren't worried about Cam City. I think they were more worried about Patrick Mahomes scrambling and doing that more so than they were worried about anything else interesting. But they plied with surprised. I mean, watching that film, I'm like, man, I can't believe they played that much zone because you know, your first thing is to instinct. Is you know what I thought. All the losses that Kan City has had from a weapons standpoint, Tyreek Hill, Okay, Jujus Smith Schuster, you know you're losing guys, and especially the first game when they don't have Kelsey, you wouldn't be afraid to play a man, right. Detroit was like, Nah, we're just gonna play zone. And they played kan City and zone and held them to what twenty points? Yeah? And here here. I don't think, you know, if you talk about matchups, I think the Jaguars defense matches up against kan City against their offense very well, with the exception of Patrick Mahome, because nobody matches up against him very well. He's that good. But like from an individual standpoint, you look at the weapons that they have, Kelsey being the only exception. Okay, everybody else, you're okay with you can. I think you can handle those guys, you know. I think that the Chiefs have a matchup problem with the Jaguars. I think most teams are going to have a matchup problem with the Jaguars. High scoring sounds like to me, if you, I mean, if you think, if you what was your be your prediction right now score wise, total points score, I'm gonna go thirty eight to thirty five. I'm thinking like seventy points yep, you know, somewhere not range, you know, I mean in the thirties. The only thing that may prohibit seventy points is just the heat of the game. Yeah, you know, taking a little bit out. But I mean, I think this is like seventy points. I mean, this is like a game in the thirties.
Speaker 3: Time now for the injury report presented by Baptist Health and the Jacksonville Orthopedic Institute, the official sports medicine provider of the Jacksonville Jaguars. The Thursday report for the Jags is out. Have not seen one for the Chiefs as of yet. The Jaguars have five players on the list this week. Antonio Johnson is not practiced yesterday or today. The rookie safety. It could be a week or so, a couple of weeks. Maybe we'll see how that goes. Gregory Junior was injured in the game with a hamstring issue. Has not practiced yesterday or today. Brandon Sheriff, right guard ankle injury limited today. That's improvement. He did not practice on Wednesday. He was back out there on Thursday. Luke Fortner senter ankle injury limited today. He was out yesterday. That's improvement. Tyler Lacey, the rookie defensive lineman with a hip issue limited, so that's good news for the offensive lineman. Sheriff and Fortner moving in the right direction at least maybe to go on Sunday.
Speaker 2: Well, you hope, but you want them to be able to play, but then also play better. You know, they've got to take a step up this week. And Sheriff I was kind of concerned about during that game. You know, he goes down and it was like like.
Speaker 3: Just the way he went down, like up in the air and then wasn't moving and everybody's waving for the athletic trainers.
Speaker 2: It's like, oh man, this is really bad, right the cart off, Yeah, carted them off. And then he comes back in the game and he's limited in practice today. First of all, he's incredibly tough because he was able to play last year with a core injury that most people wouldn't even think about trying to play, but he was able to play. I mean, so he's tough, and he's definitely a leader of that group, and if they're going to take a step up, then you know he needs to be a part of that. But yeah, I hope that everybody's good to go so that they can take a step up in performance this week.
Speaker 3: Got to have it this week, and what a scene it should be and that we'll hear from Doug Peterson coming up on that scene as well, home opener for the Jaguars The Doug Peterson Show. Moments ahead, we're gonna hear from Iron Eagle as well NFL on CBS play by play announcer. He and Charles Davis have the call of the game Evan Washburn on the sideline. We'll hear from Iron and get his thoughts on where the Jaguars are. Are they ready for the big time? Well, this would be a step in the right direction.
Speaker 2: We'll hear who's he calling the game with Charles Davis? Okay, Charles a good guy. Yeah, been around a long time. Absolutely. I met him in New York back in eighty nine. Probably probably back in a while, it makes sense. Yep, we've been around a long time too. He's good, good, very good.
Speaker 3: Broadcast full podcast coming up, I believe Saturday on the Official Jaguars Podcast Network. We'll get Iron's thoughts. He's covered so many Jaguars games over the years. Been with the CBS since nineteen ninety eight, which is hard to believe. He's a rating Sportscaster of the Year, National Sportscaster of the Year, Wow. So he's had a big year, a lot going on for him.
Speaker 2: What team would this be considered for CBS? Probably the number two team, number two, Nanton Romo, number one with Tracy Well, okay, I was just kind of curious about that man, and where are they at this week? I don't know, I didn't look, I mean, because I mean, there's no no idea. I mean, the reason I asked that is because of the games on CBS and the there's no affiliation with AFC and CBS, Fox and the NFC anymore. They everybody's kind of going all over the place, and so I was just kind of curious, would it be a Fox game that Romo would be at.
Speaker 3: No, No, No, they're still They're still on CBS. But they're doing the Jets, Jets Cowboys.
Speaker 2: That's what I mean. An NFC at Cowboys, which I'm sure they're sitting there going Jets Cowboys. There's no Aaron Rodgers. But it's America's team. It is. They get big ratings and it's a New York market and they're one and oh they beat the hell out of the Giants. Did you watch that game? About half of it? And then I was like, what am I doing? Why am I watching this? Would you have watched the whole thing of Aaron Rodgers played? No, I'm talking about the Cowboys game. No, No, I'm talking about the Jets game Monday night. Did you watch that game? Well? I turned it on after the fact I didn't have it on it here. I didn't get on until after the factors. Well, and then then I turned it off. Total bummer that he went down, crazy game at the end.
Speaker 3: Yeah, maybe we've got an instant classic this Sunday coming up. I hope so for from our perspective, a winning result would be nice and our perspective, hey, stay tuned. The Doug Peterson Show is coming up in mere moments. Thank you for listening. The Jaguars Happy Hour