Speaker 1: Hello, SNAFU listeners. Ed Helms here. I mean, who else is it going to be? I'm the host, this is my podcast, So yeah, it's Ed Helms And I've got another really fun surprise for you this week. I'm sharing the live recording of one of my favorite stops on last year's book tour, where I was essentially roasted to a crisp by the one and only Tig Notaro.
Speaker 2: Now, Tig isn't just a.
Speaker 1: Brilliant comedian, actor, writer, and podcast host. She's also a longtime friend. We go way back, and I've always admired her completely singular comedic voice. She has this magical rhythm to her delivery, like a deceptively gentle slow burn style to her jokes, and then these punchlines that just hit you in the gut so hard she can leave a massive audience doubled over without out ever raising her voice. You've probably seen her in her Netflix stand up special Happy to Be Here, or her TV series One Mississippi, or stealing entire scenes in shows like Star Trek, Discovery, The Office, or perhaps even the movie that Tig and I did together called Together Together. Now sharing the stage with Tig at La Live Talks was an absolute blast. We dug into the stories from my book, SNAFU, The Definitive Guide to History's Greatest screw Ups, talked about the research and production process for the book, and even tossed around a few bold predictions for the future. So listen in and don't forget. You can order the book or the audiobook at Snafu, dashbook dot com or wherever you get your books. So sit back and enjoy my conversation with the incredible tig Notaro.
Speaker 2: Could you guys give us a minute. We're gonna just catch up.
Speaker 3: I didn't see you there. Do you know when I get started on the questions that I printed out?
Speaker 4: Do I know what when I should get started on this?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 4: Should we just chat casually for a minute.
Speaker 2: I feel like that's appropriate.
Speaker 1: Okay, some casual chatter and then honestly, don't ever get to this stuff.
Speaker 4: Okay, all right, that's.
Speaker 2: The get Let's get real, let's get under the hood.
Speaker 4: Let's get real real fast.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like, what's on my pants?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I realized on my way here tonight that I had a stain on my pants, and.
Speaker 1: I just asked backstage if she knows what's on her pants.
Speaker 3: She doesn't know, but I did decide would be the name of a really good talk show or game show.
Speaker 2: Game show?
Speaker 4: Yes, what on your pants?
Speaker 3: Crowd goes mild, great, Well, what's on your pants?
Speaker 2: So much?
Speaker 1: I've been wearing these pants basically every day for the last eight days.
Speaker 2: This is the last stop on my book tour.
Speaker 4: Congrats, thank you, and.
Speaker 2: Thank you Tig for doing this and being here.
Speaker 4: It is my pleasure. I'll go anywhere for you, my dear.
Speaker 2: Well, fantastic. All the way to Culver City.
Speaker 4: That's right to the straight area of town.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Should we get started?
Speaker 2: Why don't I ask you all the questions?
Speaker 4: Absolutely?
Speaker 1: How much did you love my book?
Speaker 3: I loved it so much that when I had time, I read parts of it amazing.
Speaker 2: Yes, read the excerpts, the blurbs.
Speaker 4: No, I read way more than that.
Speaker 2: Cool.
Speaker 3: Yes, but we'll get into that all right. What else do you want to ask me? Where'd you grow up? Mississippi and Texas? But I feel like you probably knew some of that.
Speaker 2: I know, but this is for them. Oh, I'm okay, I'm just yeah.
Speaker 3: I forgot that I wasn't just here to talk to my friend ed Mississippi.
Speaker 2: And Texas, and I'm from Georgia, Georgia.
Speaker 1: We're bringing it real southern some we're just bringing some Southern vibes.
Speaker 5: Yeah to California, which is that's right, that's what we do. I'm out of questions. You're out already out time out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because you didn't even read anything on that.
Speaker 4: Well, I realized this was my grocery list.
Speaker 2: For Gilson's.
Speaker 4: Ham. That's not true.
Speaker 3: Can I tell you, speaking of Mississippi, my cousin who is a grown woman twenty nine married, has a child a couple of years ago, and she's not And I know people here Mississippi, and you picture whatever you're picturing. There are civilized areas and people. My family is one of them. My cousin went to college, she went to business school. Found out a couple of years ago. Ham is not an animal. She thought, like chicken and fish, there were hams running around.
Speaker 2: They don't teach that in business school.
Speaker 1: No where does she go to this business school in Mississippi?
Speaker 4: No, in New Orleans?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 1: Yeah, so uh, that is one of the few meats that has like multiple names, ham, bacon.
Speaker 2: There are all these things that aren't.
Speaker 1: What it is too well, also pig, pork, ham pork, bacon, pig.
Speaker 4: What'd you say that's not a pig?
Speaker 2: But it is. It is not a cow. Also, her point is that it's not right.
Speaker 3: I was going to say, are you from Mississippi? All right, Well, let's get in to these questions.
Speaker 2: All right, Yeah, I'm an onion. Just start peeling the layers. Okay, it's going to get real.
Speaker 4: All right.
Speaker 3: If it's going to get real, then tell us a little bit about why you chose to write this companion book for the snaff Fou podcast? What spawned your interest? What a great question.
Speaker 4: In this time, I'm I'm a slow delivery.
Speaker 3: I'm still asking the question spawned your interest in this type of history project in the first place?
Speaker 1: That feels like a question you wrote. You use words like spawned in a lot of rates.
Speaker 4: Snafo.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I always say snaff every time we talk on the phone. You're like this, what spawned this? What spawned what spawned this? Snaffo? Basically, everybody does a podcast, including you.
Speaker 4: Yep, it's called Handsome Check it out.
Speaker 2: Check it out.
Speaker 1: And there's so many great podcasts out there, and a lot of them are just interviews kind of style. Shows which I love, and I was consuming a ton of these shows as a fan, and I was like, do I fit into this podcast space somewhere?
Speaker 2: And if I do, what does it look like.
Speaker 1: I didn't really want to do an interview show because I felt like there were just so many of them out there. It's like, well, history is a fun thing that I've always love to just kind of go down these little rabbit holes of looking into stuff. Our show, this show, Rutherford Falls, was very kind of history oriented. I played an historian with who owned a museum in that show, and I just it's, yeah, it was something that that felt very organic to me. But then it's like, well, what's I still wanted to be funny, and then it was like, well, what's funny in history? The snaffoos, the car crashes of history that we can't turn away from, those will be fun, Like, that'll be a fun thing.
Speaker 2: To do a podcast about.
Speaker 1: So we partnered with the great people at Film Nation and their podcast department and.
Speaker 2: Set to work on this thing.
Speaker 1: And it just turned into a really intense project with deep research and heavy audio production.
Speaker 4: And were you expecting that the deep research?
Speaker 1: It did not account for that the first season I think we were very ambitious, but it worked, like it really clicked and we kind of figured out got a rhythm on to how to do this anyway. The the in doing all that research, you just accumulate basically like a pile of these crazy stories, and some of them don't warrant like the full podcast treatment, Like it's just it doesn't have quite as much material there, but it's still really funny or interesting. And those those just started to pile up and it was like, all right, this is this is fodder for a book. Yeah, it's like it's all right here. It's just sort of like quick. Each chapter is a different snafoo, so it's not nearly as deep a dive, and the stories are just kind of quick and fun and easy. It's which is part of what makes this book such a fantastic gift for Mother's Day or Father's Day. You can pick it up and just go anywhere and find a five to ten page little fun story. It's basically a book of short stories. There's thirty one snafoos in there. You can it's a great beach read. It's perfect for your nightstand. You can read it in the bathroom.
Speaker 2: Really, yes, yeah, you know.
Speaker 4: Of people that have read it in the bathroom.
Speaker 2: I'm just saying you can.
Speaker 1: I haven't asked people, but I have been told that it gets things moving. That one chapter is equivalent to nine grams of fiber.
Speaker 3: So would it be the longest enema ever given?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: So there is a chapter about the ever Given, which is a container ship that was wedged in the Suez Canal.
Speaker 2: That's one of the more recent ones that you might remember.
Speaker 4: And yeah, I learned.
Speaker 3: I didn't realize this until I was doing my semi deep dive on the book. That snaffoo stands for situation normal all.
Speaker 1: Fucked?
Speaker 3: Uh right, Yeah, you can see you can also you think, well, if if what you silently said is what I think you said, then yeah, I think you're right.
Speaker 4: Are you guys? Okay with me saying the F word.
Speaker 2: Fucked?
Speaker 3: But you can also put fouled up. That's how you kind of clean it up.
Speaker 2: Oh okay.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I also learned that, not from your book or podcast, but when I was researching Snaffoo.
Speaker 4: Yeah, snaffoos, I did you know? I I dove in here and there and I yeah, I just.
Speaker 2: That's a good one.
Speaker 1: That is a good one for for when I take this into schools to.
Speaker 4: Be able to say all fouled up.
Speaker 2: All fouled up.
Speaker 3: Speaking of schools, were you into history as a kid?
Speaker 1: As a little kid, we had a huge collection of national geographic magazines and.
Speaker 2: I just was always so into that.
Speaker 1: I would just like pull them out and thumb through and just be It was such a vessel for curiosity, and I really it made me really want to be Indiana Jones because it hasn't worked out yet. Also, I don't think it's I think that like his version of that profession is now frowned upon, but at the time it was just adventurous and curious and wonderful. But yeah, those National geographics and also the World Book Encyclopedia.
Speaker 2: Did anybody have those in their homes? Like? I just love those things.
Speaker 1: You could pull them off and just be like Ardvarks, Like what's up with Ardvars?
Speaker 4: So you started on page one?
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, because that's the double a right, sure. Yeah, But you could also just be like Zanzibar, where.
Speaker 1: Like what's the deal, what's the population? Where is it on the map? And anything that you wanted I just look at. I couldn't believe that we had like this book set that could just tell me anything I wanted to know. But the podcast and the book have become these what I hope and feel are very productive applications of.
Speaker 2: That that curiosity and interest.
Speaker 4: All Right, we're were we.
Speaker 3: So you you know, we all heard in our bios that I mean, are yours specially?
Speaker 4: I mean, you've done a lot.
Speaker 3: You've been an actor, a podcaster, a writer, comedy writer, all of these things. I mean, you know, musician. But we're not here to talk about that. Guys, settled down, We're not talking about that. How did all of those experiences inform writing this book? How like everything that you've done here we are now today you are an author.
Speaker 1: I do kind of feel like the Snafu podcast was a culmination of sorts because it's so it's so deep, and there are stories in the podcast that are very heavy and poignant and stirring, and that's not something I really expected coming up through comedy that I would be diving into. And so that sort of just I think opened my mind about just creatively, like what would be like what else I can do and how else? Like the book just felt like a very like a natural step from that, and.
Speaker 2: I've really enjoyed it. Yeah, I think there's going to be more.
Speaker 4: You enjoyed the process of writing? Yeah, how long did it take you to write? I wrote a book.
Speaker 3: It took me four years and you can read it in an afternoon next to the pool.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: How long did yours? Take?
Speaker 1: Like a year and a half and there was But the nice thing about this book is that it was it was not overwhelming to work on because it's such short chunks. So each chapter is a story, and that that caters well to like the way my brain works. Like I think writing a novel would just be terrifying and overwhelming, and even writing like a memoir feels or something along those lines. I don't know, anything like a narrative that's like two three hundred pages feels maybe I'll get there eventually, but right now that feels like scary.
Speaker 4: It doesn't sound like you'll get there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, based on the ADHD and yeah, all that stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And also the nice thing, you know, I had a lot of research support on this book because we built such a great team on this on the podcast, and so it was you know, it really was a collective effort kind of organizing this material and getting the getting the research materials together, and uh, and I just was working with great, great people pulling the kind of the information together.
Speaker 3: So in that research, were there any surprises that stuck I'm sure there were so many surprises, but any that really stuck out to you when you like really you know, because I'm sure you have some idea maybe of what one particular story or snaffoo is about, and then you're.
Speaker 4: Like, here's the twist. Well, in a major way.
Speaker 1: I'm going to back up or sort of like go high altitude for a second, because hopefully all the stories in the book are that for everybody.
Speaker 2: Because in and again starting.
Speaker 1: With the podcast, the idea like I didn't want to tell stories that that people know.
Speaker 2: I want.
Speaker 1: I wanted to tell history that feels new or fresh or or kind of like rediscovering things.
Speaker 2: And in the podcast, it.
Speaker 1: Just it was like trying to find stories that have a lot of power and impact but have been largely forgotten in the in the sort of popular memory. And and that's what that same thing I brought to the to this sort of like that was the sort of like organizing principle and building the content for the book. And because of that like every story is surprising, every story is like, holy shit that happened, Like that's real.
Speaker 2: There's a few in the book that you probably.
Speaker 1: Have heard of, like the ever Given in everybody Knew when that container ship got wedged in the Suez Canal.
Speaker 4: And what is your favorite story?
Speaker 1: Well, they're all babies, you know, so it's hard to pick, but I'll tell you too. There's one that I loved one. Okay, there's another one that's absolutely insane, which is in the nineteen fifties.
Speaker 2: This was this is the Cold War.
Speaker 1: So one thing that emerges when you read the book, the Cold War did not bring out the best in us, Like we were very scared and made a lot of really terrible decisions.
Speaker 2: This is one of them.
Speaker 1: So a plan was hatched to shoot a nuclear warhead at the moon. Now why would you want to do that? Well, the thinking was that if we can hit the moon with a nuclear.
Speaker 2: Warhead, the Soviets will see that and they'll be like holy shit.
Speaker 1: And then I guess we win the Cold War because they're so scared, because they're like, oh my god, the Americans can hit the moon with a warhead, Like we're done, Like we can't we just surrender. So they they really thought that this would like kind of shut down the Cold War or like scare the Soviets really badly, so they get they went really far down this road. They spent a lot of time and money researching this. Carl Sagan worked on this project. A young Carl say, he likes planets, but he was part of this plan to actually shoot a millions of dollars this, yeah, untold millions.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: They eventually realized that any tiny malfunction or miscalculation could very easily result.
Speaker 2: In the nuclear warhead slingshotting.
Speaker 1: Around the gravitational field of the Moon and just coming right back at us. The other thing they realized is that even if they hit the moon, you know, even if they actually were on target, that it wouldn't look like much. It would just be because I think the hope was like the Soviets would see this big like crater on the Moon, or see like a big explosion on the Moon. But they realized that it would really just probably be kind of a little gray dust cloud you wouldn't really see very much. And that detail I love because that is literally wily coyote, Like that is every time Wiley coyote falls off a cliff.
Speaker 2: It's like that little dust cloud.
Speaker 1: And this is a Looney Tunes idea, like, well, you could see acme on the side of this warhead very plausibly.
Speaker 3: You were saying before that you have this, you know a lot of great researchers, and you would have to But where do researchers even begin to get this information?
Speaker 1: This is a good question, because thank you, because it's important to point out.
Speaker 2: The only reason we know about that.
Speaker 1: The only reason we know about that nuclear warhead shooting at the moon, that whole thing, the only reason we know is because a one of Carl Sagan's biographers was researching him, looking through all of his old papers and he had actually put this project on a fellowship application, like applying to something, right, you know, right after grad school, and this researcher this, you know, his biographer was like, I'm going to put Carl Sagan aside for a second look into this moon thing. And they they uncovered it, and and all that's to say that the only reason we know about any of this stuff is because of so many dogged journalists and writers and people that just have like, yes, for sure, have a huge round of applause and and because of that, like when you just start looking for snaffoos, they bubble up. They're on Google, They're all you know, They're in history books.
Speaker 3: They're yeah, like where do you google like snaffoos nineteen seventy.
Speaker 1: Three, Yes, nineteen sixties disasters, problems. I mean, it's it's like there are books, there are there are books that focus on these things that aren't funny, and like they're that are written by serious historians unlike me.
Speaker 3: And has the government reached out and been like, do not shill anybody?
Speaker 2: Shut up? No?
Speaker 1: But I actually feel like now like this book would piss Trump off because it's like honest about our history, which he is like, seems right like it doesn't. It feel like we're at this moment where he's just like.
Speaker 2: Don't say any bad stuff about us.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's anti American to point out that that we that the CIA tried to surgically implant microphones into cat's ears and then train the cats to go sit next to bad guys so.
Speaker 2: You can hear. And the only thing.
Speaker 3: The old one as a cat lover, that was one of my favorites, I must say, And the microphone on a cat like sitting next to a bad guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And the only thing that came that it came from that entire like research effort was the startling discovery that you can't train cats.
Speaker 3: And how much money went into that. You don't have that right, millions millions? Yes, are there any other anecdotes that you would like to share? But I mean because it is like it's like an insight, like you're saying an encyclopedia of ard Vark to Sansabar.
Speaker 4: There's so many.
Speaker 3: Was there a Well, no, that would be that's not a good question.
Speaker 2: I can tell you another one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this one's this one I love because it's it's not as absurd. It's actually a Some of the nafoos in the book are are kind of have this silver lining of being a very obvious lesson that that that we learned culturally from it, or or there are heroes that emerged during snafoos and this is one of those. Also in the nineteen fifties, one of the first nuclear reactors is built in Deep River, Ontario, which is just up the Ottawa River from the city of Ottawa, and it's very early in nuclear technology. There's a very homer Simpson series of mistakes that happen at this nuclear reactor, and a meltdown starts, and it's a terrible accident. And this is the first nuclear reactor meltdown in human history. So nobody really knows what to do. They're freaking out. They call the US military and they're like, what do we do? Do you have anybody that can help us? And they're like, yeah, actually, we have this twenty eight year old kid who's been working on our nuclear subprogram and he's extremely knowledgeable about all this stuff. He's a great leader. We're gonna send him up with a team to help you out.
Speaker 2: That was.
Speaker 1: Jimmy Carter. Yeah, so that he became that. This is a story about a young Jimmy Carter. He runs up there, gets to Deep River, Ontario. The reactor's melting down. It's so radioactive that they can only spend they can only be in close proximity to the reactor core for ninety seconds at a time, or else they'll have like they'll die of radiation poisoning.
Speaker 4: So I know what ends up happening, you do, but go ahead.
Speaker 1: All right, don't spoil it, Okay, So they they build a replica of this reactor core on a nearby tennis court. So they start rehearsing this disassembly and they drill it and they drill it and drill it until they've got this plan down perfectly. And then they start running in a like a relay team of NASCAR pit crews just like this, you know, ninety seconds.
Speaker 2: At a time.
Speaker 1: They can only be in there, so and every time they do something to the reactor core, they come outside and they do it to their replica as well, so they can keep track of everything that's happening. It's a brilliant plan and it keeps all of the workers healthy and they save the reactor. There's still a partial meltdown. There's a lot of damage done, but they prevent the basically a Chernobyl from happening that very easily could have been North America's Chernobyl. And I love this story because it's you know, I grew up in a Southern Democrat household. My dad was very politically engaged, and we loved Jimmy Carter. We always he was like a venerated figure in our home. But I feel like, sadly, in sort of the popular memory, he's considered kind of wimpy, you know, even though he did a lot of really badass stuff both as a president, especially as he's one of the most productive post presidents we've ever had.
Speaker 2: And I think of him as a hero.
Speaker 1: I always have, and I've always resented this kind of popular sentiment that he's just sort of this wimpy and effective guy. But this is like a great little nugget of proof that he was a really courageous badass with serious leadership.
Speaker 2: And I can.
Speaker 3: Really accentuate this point even more with a detail about this story, the snapho in your book that when I said, I know what happens, this is what I'm talking about, his urine was radioactive.
Speaker 2: Or how long like three months afterwards afterwards?
Speaker 4: Yeah that's a badass.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Okay, make fun of Jimmy Carter all day long, but have you had radioactive urine?
Speaker 1: And they were very afraid that all these workers would not be able to have children, And Jimmy Carter had four very healthy children.
Speaker 2: He's a tough guy. Yeah, yes, yeah, give it up for Jimmy Carter.
Speaker 3: Those are some of my favorite live moments, is when one person collaps and nobody chimes in and it's just an awkward and then you go, oh, did you feel like I should pull back? Nobody's joining, she's not even acknowledging.
Speaker 4: That I'm talking to.
Speaker 3: What are some patterns that you observed and lessons studying snaffs?
Speaker 1: The okay, so the well, one of the things that I don't think this is something that we sort of culturally would have would say we learned from this book, but it's but the book reiterates it in a very powerful way, which is that we just don't learn from history at all, which is so sad and dumb. We're so dumb and we just do the dumbest stuff. But I do think there is a like a positive takeaway from really digging into these snafoos. Like the more you the more you look into these really dumb or kind of horrifying, crazy events from history.
Speaker 2: It's very easy.
Speaker 1: Just when when we're in this moment like we're in right now, and this I think applies whatever your political stripes are, wherever you fall in the sort of conservative liberals spectrum, this moment that we're in feels volatile, it feels like it feels unstable, It feels a little like, you know, like we're polarized, and there's a just tremendous uncertainty about the future, which is just unsettling, makes us anxious. When we look back at crazy things in the past, it's actually kind of nice to be reminded that we've been there before, Like people have been terrified at lots of times in the past, and that at least all this stuff in this.
Speaker 2: Book, and like.
Speaker 1: Most of the time, there's some sense that we got through a thing, or that we got to the other side and found some sense of equilibrium again. And so I don't mean to be like glib or pollyannish about the moment that we're in right now, because I think it does feel legitimately scary in a lot of ways, and I don't know what will happen, but I do think looking back it's nice to be just sort of reminded that we have felt this way before, or previous generations have felt this way before, and that they have gotten through these moments. And so maybe that gives a sense that there's a light at the end of the tunnel as well.
Speaker 3: I mean, I agree, you know, as tough as things are and scary as things may feel, I mean, this is really extreme but I go to like, God, it used to be normal to like behead somebody. Yeah, back in the old old timy.
Speaker 4: Times, And I'm like, we don't do that anymore.
Speaker 3: I'm also curious, like, there are so many amazing stories. How do you decide what to choose, what to put in your book, what to put in the podcast? And also you must have people. Are people contacting you or stopping you on the street going I have a story? I know I have some inside scoop on this thing.
Speaker 1: A few people actually on this book tour have been like, did you hear about this?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Like random?
Speaker 3: And do you have a lot of conspiracy theorists that are that reach out to you?
Speaker 2: Not yet I haven't. I'm sure.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm getting the vibe on it. Yeah, the guy I looked right at him.
Speaker 4: There he is.
Speaker 1: You know, Weirdly, I think, just like writing about real stuff that's crazy is weirdly a little bit of a hedge against conspiracy theories because it's like the research they think that's real, don't you. Yeah, Okay, that's the title of my next book.
Speaker 4: I'm curious.
Speaker 3: I mean, you're obviously going to do another You're going to do snafoo too right the next book, because there is, like you said, so much going on.
Speaker 1: Well, it's a it's such a fun space to play in. It feels like there's so many different kinds of ways to or different ways to frame snaffoos. We could do like a book about sports snaffhoos or you know, different time periods, medieval snaffoos.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, but.
Speaker 3: I'm saying, like you chronologically you go through this, you know, sixties, seventies, eighties, nineties, and I'm like, right now, we're sitting in a bunch of thank you, We're sitting in the middle of a bunch of snaphosa potential snaffoos more to come.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it does feel like we're swimming and just like a big old sea of snaffoos right now.
Speaker 4: So I'm seeing snafoo too, snafoo three.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all kind of down just about the last like one hundred days.
Speaker 4: Snaff one hundred.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Have you ever heard This is unrelated to your book, but just curious any personal snaffoos in your life that you'd like to share.
Speaker 1: So many but not not not so many for public consumption.
Speaker 4: Wow. So should we end there?
Speaker 1: Uh, let's do it there, because I do think that we're going to get some audience questions.
Speaker 4: I think it'd be We're going to take some audience questions if The Office had a historical snaffho themed episode, which disaster would Michael Scott have proudly caused?
Speaker 1: I mean, isn't that every episode of the Office, like some horrible disaster.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I feel like the the ever given container ship getting wedged into the Suez Canal totally fits his particular kind of uh yeah, his particular weaknesses, because that's such a That accident was so mundane, like it was such a it was like people in the wheelhouse of this ship like trying kind of panicking, trying to figure out what to do. I mean, you can imagine an episode of the Office or something feeling like an Office episode unfolding in the wheelhouse of that ship as they're trying to like adjust for the wind.
Speaker 2: And then back up.
Speaker 1: But there's a guy behind him and somebody's yelling at the navigator, and the navigator is like Oscar and he's like, I don't know I had this is the data, this is all I have. And then and then Dwight Shrewd is freaking. He's like the engineer freaking out.
Speaker 2: Like we're losing power, We're losing it.
Speaker 1: Just yeah, the whole that one feels feels and Michael God is the skipper, just like Frozen with fear.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: This isn't a follow up question, but I will tell you for those that don't know, I was on an episode of the Office, and to this day I get recognized as that being my only credit.
Speaker 4: Where people will come up and be like, you're from.
Speaker 3: The Office, and I was like, yeah, thirteen years ago for one second.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's insane how massive that show is.
Speaker 6: And it's a bit of a preview question, but I wonder about one or two snaffoos that are on the list that you haven't done a deep dive into, but you're just dying to get into, really curious about.
Speaker 1: Season four of the podcast is going to take a little bit of a different shape, and I'm gonna have guests on take You're doing it, whether you know it or not, You're coming on the show, and I'm going to tell them about snaffoos and then we'll have just sort of fun it's kind of spin off chats about it. But so a lot of things that maybe kind of didn't fit the book or the podcasts framework, where I think are going to work really well for that. So that'll be things like the Donner Party and Ernest Shackleton's crazy attempt to cross and be the first to cross Antarctica in the early nineteen hundreds.
Speaker 2: That's an incredible story. What else. The Lusitania is one the cruise ship that.
Speaker 1: Was sunk in the North Pacific by Germans, and gosh, there are so many cool there's so many cool, crazy, weird stories.
Speaker 2: But that's a sampling.
Speaker 4: Now again.
Speaker 3: Not really related to what we're talking about. You know, I know, you know you have two kids and I have two children as well, And at bedtime, we have a joke where I go where I say, come on, guys, let's get in bed. Let's I'm going to tell you some boring stories. And I tell them like mundane stories, like you know, it's pulling into the.
Speaker 4: Parking lot at the grocery store, and they're just like they fall asleep.
Speaker 3: And I, as we've been talking, I'm like, do you ever sit and tell your kids snapoo.
Speaker 2: Stories horrible tragedies?
Speaker 3: You should, I mean leave the tragedy out because they'll snooze.
Speaker 1: Before yeah, no, not this stuff. Although one of my favorite bits in a movie is, didnone remember the movie The Great Outdoors?
Speaker 2: Okay, so there's an amazing it's.
Speaker 4: Such a person over there to remember it.
Speaker 1: There's such a dumb throwaway joke in that movie. But Dan act Royd tells he has these creepy little twin daughters in.
Speaker 2: The movie, and I have twins.
Speaker 1: He tells the he tells them the story. They're like, can you tell us a bedtime story? And he's like, yeah, sure, okay, So he tells the story is basically like the military left a box in the woods and it turned out to have this this creature that they've done all these experiments on and the box spilled and opened up, and it came this creature came out of the box and terrorized.
Speaker 2: All these children in this little town. Are we good?
Speaker 1: And the kids the two kids are like wide eyed, and then it cuts to the morning and the kids are still just sitting there that that's what the what I think most of these stories would do to my kids.
Speaker 4: But they're not sitting on your laps going to Yady.
Speaker 2: Tell us there's more about nuclear warheads and the Cold War.
Speaker 4: But radioactive urine.
Speaker 1: But I will say that you do raise a great point, which is that reading this book will make you a killer at dinner parties, because you will have so many fun, quick, little zinger stories that you can just drop and they're funny, and the people will think you're smart.
Speaker 3: I've been sitting here honestly thinking, wow, Ed is a smart guy.
Speaker 2: Hi.
Speaker 4: So I'm a battlefield guide.
Speaker 7: I work overseas in Europe, and we all love the podcast so much. We use a lot the reference of Fidel Castro with those assassinations and how so many people are shocked about Hitler and all those failed assassination attempts.
Speaker 4: So we're wondering from.
Speaker 7: Overseas if you've addressed it a little bit about World War Two, but would you ever go more into Second World War, First World War snafoos because there's just so many to name.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, the world wars just a cavalcade of snaffoos. There's so much written about those, They're so heavily researched. And that's kind of again, outside of where I've been the most charged up with my curiosity the things that have fallen out of popular memory.
Speaker 2: But the Lusitania is a crazy world. War two story.
Speaker 4: Yeah, i've seen you both. You know some of your work. What's the relationship between you two? And why her to interview you tonight on this particular topic lovers ex lovers?
Speaker 1: Ye?
Speaker 4: But good question?
Speaker 2: Why me?
Speaker 4: How rude? Yeah? What what the hell am I doing here? I should be telling my kids boring stories?
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I failed three grades and dropped out of have a seventh grade education.
Speaker 2: But you're smarter than most people I know.
Speaker 4: Next question, No, what we mean?
Speaker 2: I'm trying to remember the first.
Speaker 3: From the comedy scene Gelson's thank you? I mean, yeah, the comedy world, Largo, the venue here in town and at Largo. We've done I did the office. We also did a movie together. Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 4: Where'd you go?
Speaker 1: It's a bit of a uh it's yeah, Yes, why her?
Speaker 2: You have?
Speaker 1: I guess I don't know why I like hanging out with you? Take because you're not very nice to me. We did an interview when we were promoting a movie we did together where I think you just you kept telling the reporter how stupid my face was.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: To translate that, it's because he's so funny and silly, and he makes these little smirky faces when he delivered. You know, he's so unassuming and subtle and then boom, right out of his stupid face is the funniest thing you'll hear.
Speaker 2: That's actually very sweet.
Speaker 1: You're one of the only people that's ever called you called my comedy subtle, and I appreciate that.
Speaker 3: Well, no, you just have a subtle vibe about you, like you know, when when we're chilling and whatever, and then and then you'll do But also when we did that movie like all of your that's where it came from.
Speaker 4: Because when we were doing.
Speaker 3: The director said, and now just you know, riff and do some things, and he just was delivering all these different improft lines and face expressions, and I was like, this stupid face, that's where it came from.
Speaker 4: That is where it came from.
Speaker 3: It's when you started riffing and your face went nuts.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was fun, but we still don't know why.
Speaker 4: I am here.
Speaker 6: Next question, have you thought about turning one of the stories into a movie?
Speaker 1: Yes, and that's a there's concerted effort on that front with a couple of these. I think someone actually had the idea to do that.
Speaker 2: The book.
Speaker 1: Does anyone remember a history of the world the mel Brooks movie. Like that's such a funny, like just compendium of basically just comedy sketches.
Speaker 2: And you could do all of these chapters as comedy sketches too. So I don't know.
Speaker 1: There's a few things in the hopefully in the hopper, and and then a few very abstract ideas.
Speaker 4: Is there a role for me?
Speaker 7: No?
Speaker 4: I guess that is the end of the evening here.
Speaker 2: Isn't it up for taking this? Ladies and gentlemen, give it.
Speaker 4: Up for mister ed Helms.
Speaker 1: SNAFU is a production of iHeart Podcasts and Snapfoo Media, a partnership between Film Nation Entertainment and Pacific Electric Picture Company. Our post production studio is Gilded Audio. Our executive producers are me Ed Helms, Mike Falbo, Glenn Basner, Andy Kim Whitney, Donaldson, and Dylan Fagan. This episode was produced by Alyssa Martino and Tory Smith. Our video editor is Jared Smith. Technical direction and engineering from Nick Dooley. Our creative executive is Brett Harris. Logo and branding by.
Speaker 2: The Collected Works.
Speaker 1: Legal review from Dan Welsh, Meghan Halson and Caroline Johnson. Special thanks to Isaac Dunham, Adam Horn, Lane Klein, and everyone at iHeart Podcasts, but especially Will Pearson, Harry Lieberman, Nikki Etoor, Nathan O'towski, and Alex Corral. While I have you, don't forget to pick up a copy of my book, Snafoo, The Definitive Guide to History's Greatest screw Ups. It's available now from any book retailer. Just go to snafoodashbook dot com.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening, and see you next week.