Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports.
Speaker 2: Radio Final Hour in this Monday Dan and the Dan Nets Dan Patrick Show Best and Worse to the weekend. Operator Tyler standing by, take your phone calls. We will give you our best and worst of the weekend. Coming up. NFL training camp drama with the Colts and a little bit with I guess the Jets and the Denver Broncos trading barbs back and forth and they get to settle it on the football field. Week five Broncos versus the Jets eight seven seven three DP show whole question for the final hour, we say good morning those watching on Peacock allowing us into your life, your home and radio affiliates as well. We've added Charlottesville Fox Sports Radio one two point nine FM and fourteen fifty Am Charlottesville, and thank you for adding us to your roster and vice versa, Seaton, what do we have final hour put up there?
Speaker 3: Whose comments were more out of line? Sean Payton or Jimmers?
Speaker 1: Right now?
Speaker 4: Fifty five percent say Sean Payton, Jim Mersey, Oh how about that?
Speaker 2: I guess when you bring in death, does I die and you never play again?
Speaker 3: No one would care.
Speaker 2: Well, no, I think he says if they both die, I think I think he dies, and then Jonathan play it again here, Marvin, if.
Speaker 5: I die tonight and Jonathan Taylor's out of the league, no one's gonna.
Speaker 4: Miss Okay, so he's out of the league. Possibly he's out of the league due to death. He didn't specifically say that, though, but the NP dead. Does that change your opinion?
Speaker 1: Though?
Speaker 2: If he is referring to both of them leaving us, if you know what I mean, it is.
Speaker 4: Tough to come back to the table, though, in a spirit of goodwill and negotiation, after being told ultimately you really don't matter.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you do it publicly if you say. I've had things said to me in negotiations, including one by a boss who said you're over the hill and no one will sign you. And then he offered me a contract to stay at ESPN, And I kept thinking, and at the time I wasn't aware of what he was actually saying. But in the moment, I should have said, well, wait a minute, you want to sign me, but you think nobody else will sign me.
Speaker 1: That's what I should have said.
Speaker 2: But I'm like, Okay, you must be right, And then I end up signing that contract.
Speaker 1: I come home.
Speaker 2: My wife goes, how the negotiations go. I go, great, I signed. She goes, oh, you did you happy? I go, well, the more I think about it, my boss at the time, Mark Shapiro, said, you know what, You're over the hill.
Speaker 1: And no one will sign you. And I signed the contract.
Speaker 3: Did you just shun Peyton Mark Shapiro there?
Speaker 2: Oh, he knows it. He's very proud of what he said to me. No, no, he admits it. If you ask, if anybody ever sees Mark Shapiro, just walk up and say, hey, you're over the hill and nobody's going to sign you.
Speaker 4: Because right now there's some host who's about to say, keep my boss's name out of your mouth.
Speaker 2: I don't think we need to worry about that. Somebody saying that about Mark Shapiro. I think I think we're okay.
Speaker 1: There. Four and a half years, I think I start. I think we're yeah, four and a half years.
Speaker 6: The airing of the Grievances, Yes.
Speaker 2: Ladies and gentlemen, the world Tearing of the Grievances, Yeah, world tour.
Speaker 3: Lovely.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 2: Let's see, imagine you're hearing that you're over the Hill and nobody is going to give you a contract, And I went.
Speaker 1: Okay, where do I sign him?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: You're right, yeah yeah.
Speaker 7: But it's got to be so frustrating with a guy like Jonathan Taylor and his agent. What move do they have? You know, the colt aren't playing for a title this year? Is Saquon Barkley probably has more juice because they absolutely need him. He's not you know, it wasn't banged up last year.
Speaker 6: I don't know that.
Speaker 7: That's got to be very frustrating for Taylor. You know, you want one contract, give me, give me three years at thirty five minutes.
Speaker 1: It's just not going to happen. Yeah, it's just not.
Speaker 2: But Jim Ursay has a history of taking care of his players. I think that's the frustrating part for Jonathan Taylor, who's the best player on that team, and you know he's a year removed from eighteen hundred yards rushing. Maybe you give them a three year deal, but you could factor in this year and then add two more years to that. But I just hate to see these running backs kind of begging, you know, they're crawling and begging to get money that would be commensurate to what they mean to a team. They're so underpaid with what they mean to their team. But because everybody else has devalued the running backs, the other owners they can too. You just fall in line to say, hey, that's the market and nobody is going to go. I thought Carolina went rogue with paying Christy McCaffrey, and I thought the Saints as well with Alvin Kameric, because I think they're around fifteen to sixteen million.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Seden, why isn't that some form of collusion. It's just, you know, they're normally guilty of collusion. This might just be there being smart business people. Like before you pointed out that owners were upset that, like you can't break the mold with the Deshaun Watson contract.
Speaker 3: That's not we all kind of agreed to, like do.
Speaker 1: This the rent.
Speaker 4: I mean that's collusion, right, all of a sudden, now nobody's paying running backs because they have no value.
Speaker 3: They're just cattle.
Speaker 1: But you need a piece out of a collusion. You need a paper trail, yes, is it? Yes? But you need a paper trail. Are there emails?
Speaker 2: There is somebody going to speak, you know, are they going to leak something to the league?
Speaker 1: Probably not. Yes, toh, So how do.
Speaker 8: Running backs go about expressing their concerns and frustration, especially if they want to make it public without looking like they're begging and whining? And I guess, so, come on, they're not giving me the money I deserve. What do you How do you handle it?
Speaker 9: Then?
Speaker 2: Well, you can be you know, quiet, but then nobody's going to notice. They'll be like man, Jonathan Taylor, he seems like he's going to be betting on himself this year, and you know, trying to ball out here coming back from that injury. We didn't know that there was any discord, and then all of a sudden you find out.
Speaker 1: And you go, oh, okay, you know.
Speaker 2: Dalvin Cook trying to get a job, Zeke Elliott trying to get a job.
Speaker 1: The fact that you have guys who've.
Speaker 2: Rushed for you know, a lot of yards who are not employed right now just adds to the you know, sort of the philosophy these owners have, like, yeah, those guys aren't being If I'm the Colts, I'd bring in Dalvin Cook. I mean, if you really want to play hardball, you say to Jonathan Taylor, all right, you want to trade you, We'll trade you. We'll save money and get a running back who maybe not as good as you, but you know, we're not going to overpay in a situation like that. And plus, I'm all for players getting as much as they can get. But when you renegotiate and say, hey, I outperform my contract. How many times has an owner ever said, hey, you underperformed in your contract. Uh, can I get some money back here? It never happens, but you know that's how owners look at this. Hey you out played your contract. Uh, we're going to ward you. Some owners will do that, some don't. Some are like, why should I? I don't have to.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Pauling, If you go back to the probably the guy had the most juice when ninety three, when EMITTT. Smith of the Cowboys held out they started that season oh and two. He said he wanted quarterback money because he thought he was as valuable with that team. He was right as any quarterback, including Drayman, and the Cowboys didn't cave. They gave him a nice raise, but they didn't give him what he wanted. But they started oh to two, and that was a team that was tagged for the Super Bowl. That would be you know, if you were Saquon Barkley and you somehow held out for games one and two and you started oh and two, it could work. But it's a big gamble because what they start to and own a backup running buck.
Speaker 2: As well, surrounded by the greatest ever play the game. The new look Jets take flight in Canton against the local favorite Browns. The NFL preseason will start where historical careers end the Pro Football Hall of Fame Game presented by Verizon. That'll be Thursday at seven Eastern on NBC and Peacon. Brown's favored by I believe one and a half in that game. I do have odds here Dak Prescott throws at least fifteen regular season interceptions. That's plus one twenty five Travis Kelcey four receiving touchdowns or more in a single game, plus three to fifteen any week one game to end in a tie. This sounds like something that Dylan would bet. Dylan or bad larryer Shay and irving that Dak's you know the odds of him.
Speaker 1: What did he throw last year? Fifteen?
Speaker 2: I think the over under this year is thirteen and a half interceptions for Dak Prescott.
Speaker 1: You can bet on everything. Yes, Bue, I like to throw on out there.
Speaker 7: Okay, I'm gonna take Sam Darnald as a starter this year, has five or more wins as a starter?
Speaker 1: Whoa Sam Darnald?
Speaker 6: Sam Darnald.
Speaker 7: I'm gonna go over four and a half wins as a starter for Sam Darnald.
Speaker 1: Does DraftKings have a number on that wet check that I don't even know if they have that prop bad.
Speaker 7: Good team tenuous health of a starter that reports on Trey Lance have been terrible if you believe that?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, how about this? I like that bad.
Speaker 2: I like to get some numbers on it. What if you took who has more wins this year as a quarterback to a tongue of Ioloa or Mike White his backup?
Speaker 3: Oh boy, yeah, that feels ominous.
Speaker 6: It's a it's a real topic.
Speaker 2: It's a little dark, Yeah it is. It's a it's a little jimmers say dark.
Speaker 6: But it's a real topic that no one wants to touch. That he is.
Speaker 1: I know, I just I hope that he's healthy of the entire season.
Speaker 2: But but you have to look at just this logically, Uh, you know, the chances of something happened being more susceptible to concussion. I don't care if you know how to fall. The defensive player doesn't say all that's right. If you fall like this, then you don't get hurt. The defensive back is not taking the same judo class or jiu jitsu class that you are.
Speaker 1: Yes, Todd, and you have to.
Speaker 8: Be extra careful with him if he gets banged up and it shows that he doesn't have a concussion, but he did look a little you know, look, something wasn't right you you have to end up sitting him just out of extra precaution because of his background and the hit that the team took. From a public relations standpoint.
Speaker 2: Stat of the Day brought to you by Panini America, the official trading cards of the Dan Patrick Show. It's time for best and Worst to the weekend, Todd. I'll start with you.
Speaker 8: Best of the weekend. After recently going into cardiac arrest, video or merds of Brownie James playing the piano around his family, went out to dinner with them. Good to see some of that footage of him trying to go about his business and looking okay. We'll see what his basketball future holds. Worse Angels manager Phil Nevin and Chiefs tight end Travis Kelcey having trouble with anger management. Nevin getting toss at the end of Friday's game had to be restrained by stadium police in Toronto. Kelsey got into his shoving after the player Friday threw a punch at another teammate on Saturday.
Speaker 9: Calm down, Travis.
Speaker 2: I don't understand that when managers baseball managers go ballistic. I mean, they really embarrassed themselves. When you're out there and you're kicking dirt, you know you're you're just an out of body experience, don't. We don't do that in other sports, do we? Where you're allowed to do that, that's part of the game. Remember Lou Holtz did something on the sidelines once.
Speaker 1: I think he.
Speaker 2: Grabbed the official Bill Cower. I think walking off at halftime when he was coaching the Steelers did something. But the playbook in the Yeah, but for the most part, it just doesn't happen. But we allow the baseball manager who's in a uniform that's way too tight for him to run out on the field and then be animated and yelling at that umpire.
Speaker 1: We don't put up with that. Yeah, see I do.
Speaker 4: Like Andy Reid though, when he was asked about it, basically like, you know, if Travis Kelsey's punching people another fight in broken up, He's like, yeah, I'm good with it. Gotta have a little bit of an edge. Thanks, get a little chippy. I'm okay with it.
Speaker 1: Best and worst of the weekend seon My Best.
Speaker 4: Of the weekend Columbia up setting Germany in the World Cup. Columbia was up one nothing for a bunch of the game that they gave up a penalty in the eighty ninth minute, where Germany tied it up, only to get a game winning header in the ninety seventh minute. It's a massive upset Columbia over Germany. Great game France Brazil also a phenomenal game. My worst of the weekend. I kind of previewed it before, but I was just flipping around once the World Cup was over, and I caught some pickleball on the mother Ship and we I appreciate that it may be exercise for a certain portion, certain demographic, but we need to stop backing.
Speaker 3: Like this is good television.
Speaker 4: There's people are investing millions of dollars in that. That's madness.
Speaker 1: Okay, I have no problem if you want.
Speaker 4: To play, Yeah, go play, absolutely, but I don't want to watch. There's there's no reason that that should ever be on television. Professional pickleball.
Speaker 10: It was.
Speaker 1: I was just like, this.
Speaker 3: Is what everybody's talking about. This is crazy.
Speaker 2: This is why I can't retire. I gotta stay. I mean, this is my cause, this is my crusade.
Speaker 1: I can't. I played pickleball, of course.
Speaker 2: I mentioned that one time when I went to a health spa with my wife and we wanted to learn, you know, some different activities, and they said, here's pickleball.
Speaker 1: So this is a couple of years ago. Yeah, sure, we'll play. Next thing.
Speaker 9: I know.
Speaker 2: I got Sally and Betty on the other side. They played before many times in Greenwich, Connecticut, and they were trying to embarrass my wife and heading to her backhand. And then I took matters into my own hands and I dusted them all. I did as you should, I did, and they didn't even shake our hands at the net.
Speaker 3: Was there sore losers or a sore winner?
Speaker 2: Oh no, No, I was just a jerk.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, win or lose. I was going to be a jerky.
Speaker 3: Maybe not as gracious as no.
Speaker 2: They just you know, come on, we're playing pickleball, where the goal is to have a rally. You just keep it going. It feels like, yes, did Sally.
Speaker 8: Betty show up and some kind of pickleball get up or out there where?
Speaker 10: Oh these girls mean business. These ladies they got No I could tire of pickleball.
Speaker 1: No, they told me.
Speaker 2: I said, look, we haven't played before, and they go, oh, well okay.
Speaker 1: I they were going to help us through this.
Speaker 2: And then all of a sudden, I was like, damn, they're trying to win, and my wife goes, no, don't, don't. I said no, they need to be taught a lesson. And then I was rifling, you know, forehands, backhands, smashes, whatever it is.
Speaker 10: That's what you get.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's more that. Yeah.
Speaker 4: See we did get a tweet from someone whose son works at an orthopedic clinic and said that the acl MCLs right now amongst a demographic, So don't go too hard out there.
Speaker 1: Yes, I worry that crypto.
Speaker 7: It could be like the crypto fat, like of sports where it's too hot. Too many celebrities are attaching their names and it's gotten anything that gets that hot has to cool off pickleball and while it is against.
Speaker 2: But I was flipping through the dial and all of a sudden I stumbled upon ESPN and it was pickleball doubles match mixed doubles.
Speaker 1: Oh, and I went, this is on? Wait? Is this on like the OCHO or this on ESPN.
Speaker 7: It's a fad the past couple of years, but does it have staying power? I saw a building being renovated for an entirely new pickleball complex.
Speaker 2: Well, you have the people who are tennis players who are now upset that the pickleball people are trying to come in on their territory. The handball people kids on recess, and you know there's going to be a.
Speaker 1: Turf war here.
Speaker 4: Parkens back to these skiing versus snowboarder days of the eighties in Vermont.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well sure, yes, are there still mountains yeah that won't allow snowboarders?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Alta out in Utah. I think there's one.
Speaker 1: It was Deer Park. Another one you think so that they don't.
Speaker 4: I kind of get why, though, I mean, I don't think it's like a personality thing anymore, but it's a condition thing and snowboards have a much bigger impact on the trails than skis.
Speaker 3: M So I kind of get it.
Speaker 1: You know, I just I just learned something today.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Mad River, Glen Balta ski resort, and Deer Valley, Utah amongst the ski resorts that don't lot snowboarding. Okay, where do you side on that one? You want to pick a side or you don't want to alienate it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't want to alienate the snowboarding community. Although those some of those snot nosed kids when they're zooming down the mountain and then you're like you jerk. Yeah, but then you could have skiers do the same thing. And I don't ski anymore and I don't snowboard, so I snowshoe.
Speaker 3: The snowshoe through the middle of the trail and they're like, I.
Speaker 1: Don't get there. Yeah, how does it feel? Yeah?
Speaker 2: No, I'm always on the side of the mountain doing snowshoe. Yeah, always doing that. But Seaton, you're a snowboarder, paul you're a snowboard No, no offense.
Speaker 6: Our people are gonna be okay, right.
Speaker 1: Let me take a break.
Speaker 2: Still got to get Marvin and Paula's best worst of the weekend, more phone calls as well. It's coming up on eighteen after the hour Dan Patrick show, Simply Safe Home Security. I was telling somebody about this over the weekend and they said, okay, explain what happens with the indoor camera so Simply Safe. It's called smart Alarm wireless indoor camera, and it has Fast Protect monitoring. If an intruder breaks into your home, Simply Safe monitoring agents can actually see, speak to and then deter them through the camera, warning them they're being recorded. Police are on the way. Game changer and home security, but then we've come to expect this with Simply Safe. There's no contracts to sign and hidden fees and any of that stuff. It just good people who are there for you every single day, and professional monitoring costs under a dollar a day. That's a bargain for peace of mind that it provides. Simply Save twenty four to seven professional monitoring. Right now, my listeners get a twenty percent off a special deal is Simply Safe when you sign up for Fast Protect monitoring. This deal doesn't last long. It's only for a limited time. Simply safedan dot com. There's no safe like simply save. Thanks for listening to The Dan Patrick Show podcast. Be sure to catch us live every weekday morning nine to noon Eastern or six to nine Pacific on Fox Sports Radio. Find your local station for The Danpatrick Show at foxsports Radio dot com, or stream us live every day on the iHeartRadio app by searching FSR, or stream us live on the Peacock acp HI.
Speaker 5: This is Jay Laser, and you may know me for the world of football or fighting or even shows like hbos Ballers. Well you don't know is for my entire life. I have lived in something I refer to as the Great Depression anxiety. So now I'm coming out with a new podcast, Unbreakable, a mental health podcast with Jay Laser, where each week, while we talk about health, I hope to describe it, give it words. Listen to Unbreakable with Jay Glazer on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 2: Aaron Judge returned to the lineup for the Yankees this weekend three for six with a home run, two RBIs, three walks. When he's in the lineup this season, the Yankees are playing six hundred baseball, they're averaging just under five runs per game. Without him, they're playing a little over four hundred baseball and averaging three point eight runs per game.
Speaker 1: That is your stat of the day.
Speaker 2: Stat of the Day, bront You by Panini America, the official trading cards of the Dan Patrick Show. Also odds to win the American League MVP. If you want to take the field, it's plus three thousand. If you want to take show, Hey Otani, it's minus twenty thousand. Yeah, he could stop playing today and he'd be the MVP of the American League. All right, we continue with Best and Worst of the weekend front row.
Speaker 10: Marvin Best at the weekend Tarans Crawford completely dominating Aero Spence Junior. That was just that flight could have been over in four rounds.
Speaker 2: I was hoping for something more than what we saw, but Earl Spence that that was not a good showing. And you know, it was a bigger event, and we haven't had too many big boxing events. Usually your big event is when Jake Paul or Logan Paul or whatever is Nick Chris Paul get into a ring with somebody who's sort of a boxer but not a big time boxer, maybe a UFC guy. Those are the big events there. You don't have that. It's really rare when you have that anymore. And you did have that, it just wasn't a good It was one sided.
Speaker 10: Worst of the weekend. Eminem came out with Terrence Crawford. Yeah, but the worst part is he doesn't wrap the lyrics to lose yourself. They just walk down and the song starts and Eminem's got a mic in his hand. He introduces Terrence Crawford and you know the song stars palm's the sweaty knees weak, he's walking.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I didn't need him to be performing. I was okay with that, but I'd like to have him actually walking out rapping. Yes, but I'm not going to knock him like Cardi b his lip sinking.
Speaker 10: Well, I'm sure that probably costs another million dollars, Like you want me to rap his me being here's about two million for me to rap. That's another million.
Speaker 1: Yes, it was a.
Speaker 7: Good move by Crawford. That alone got enough attention for people who don't know his name. If you're not a boxing guy, you may not know him. I think boxing's doing really well lately, not in comparison to MMA. Necessarily they're still battling with MMA, but you can watch on showtime different places regularly good boxing matches too well.
Speaker 2: It's because they can't charge you for it now. They have to make it available to you.
Speaker 7: Which I think is a good thing for regular boxing fans. Like if you want to see Tafemo Lopez or you know Lomnchenko, you could see their fights, almost all their fights.
Speaker 2: And it used to be growing up, they would have fights on Wide World of Sports on Saturday afternoon. It would be like boom boom, raman scening. You know, he would be fighting against somebody and there'd be a title at stake. Used to be that, you know, these things were available.
Speaker 1: And then was.
Speaker 2: Ali Frasier the first pay per view or that you had to go to movie theaters to see that closed circuit I think they called it back then. But and then you know, Floyd Mayweather took advantage of that more than anybody did, made his fortune with that bet on himself, as they like to say.
Speaker 1: Yeah, poem.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it really got started in the late seventies when they're different events like the Rumble in the Jungle, they had to pay per view it. And then it really got hot when like Thomas Hitman he Burns versus Sugar Ray Leonard, and then Mike Tyson took pay per view to It was all pay per view, all Tyson fights, so really big in the late seventies. Until the mid nineties.
Speaker 2: I never bought a Tyson fight because I knew it wasn't going to last long and unless I was tuning in for the undercard. And I'm very fortunate to have covered a lot of boxing. I was at Sugar Ray Leonard's first retirement in Baltimore when he had the detached retina. He retired five more times after that, and I was there for his first one, and you know, he's still young, and I'm like, wow, he's retiring. And I was sent to Baltimore to do a story on Sugar Ray Leonard. And then I told my boss the next time he retired, I said, do you want me to go to this retirement He goes, No, the one after this you.
Speaker 1: Can go to.
Speaker 2: I said, okay, and then turned out there were quite a few after that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, poem.
Speaker 7: The biggest grossing pay per view fights of all time, four of them are Floyd Mayweather fights.
Speaker 2: Great businessman, Oh my gosh, boring fighter. Yeah, boring, that's fair. But you know watching Alexis Argueo, Aaron Pryor, you had hipmn Hearns, Vito and Afermo Hagler. You just middleweights were so much fun, man. They were macho camacho. You just had these guys who were and we were introduced to them because they'd be on the undercard, usually of a heavyweight bout. Therefore, you tune in, you go, goh, the those guys go at each other. There's more action in those fights than there are on you know, in the heavyweight division.
Speaker 1: Best and worst, PAULI.
Speaker 7: I've only got a best. I was watching the baseball standings. You got teams like the Orioles, the Blue and the Rays, the Twins, the Rangers, the Reds. You know, there's teams that aren't traditionally deep in the playoffs. All in the baseball playoffs. I saw someone talking the other day saying this might not be good for ratings because you don't have the Yankees. You will have the Dodgers, but I think it's great for baseball to see all these teams in the mix. We're about to start August.
Speaker 2: A couple of phone calls in here Debbie and salt Lake. Good morning, Debbie, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 1: Good morning gentlemen.
Speaker 11: Five?
Speaker 1: Six? Oh sorry, first time, long time. Five. My husband and I. My husband and I are big fans.
Speaker 11: We listen every morning.
Speaker 12: As we postly can.
Speaker 1: After you announced your retirement, I thought you should make a calendar featuring each of you representing the big sports throughout the year.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: February, Todd and his cowboy get up at the Super Bowl g d A US Open December to even feature your love for pickleball.
Speaker 13: And that's the holiday attire, so.
Speaker 1: Similar to a sports illustrated edition, but just not.
Speaker 3: The some suit.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, so we do sort of glamour shots there. Okay, all right, Well, thank you, Debbie. Salt Lake City, by the way, wonderful city, you know. Flew in there, uh, and then drove from there up to Montana to go fly fishing.
Speaker 3: How long of a drive is that?
Speaker 2: It was a little over five hours, very scenic, beautiful and uh. Salt Lake City is a growing growing, certainly downtown and uh got some nice bars there they do.
Speaker 6: Yes, I think people have a perception that.
Speaker 2: There's absolutely it's a young it's a young city, very young. Yeah, it's got a lot going on there. Uh John in Minnesota, Hi John, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 4: Hey?
Speaker 12: Dan, thanks for taking my call. I'm trying to make this point about ten days ago. But last call of the show, you took Stephen from La and said, m hocking a hold of it.
Speaker 1: Get to.
Speaker 12: So one point I haven't heard is that maybe the current running back just aren't really that good. And so I'm saying that if you look back, just pick like sou them two where you have Ladanian Tomlinson and Priest Holmes and Tortois and Harrison Harrison Hurst, guy after guy. I don't think Saquon Barkley makes the top ten twenty years ago.
Speaker 2: Well, are you trying to say Derrick Henry is not a great running back in any era?
Speaker 12: No, he's great in any era. But he's also six foot four and two fifty and somehow runs a four four four five. I'm not sure what it is, but he's a unicorn when it comes to size for a running back. I'm talking about your average five to eleven thirty or six to one.
Speaker 2: Well, Saquon Barkley is an incredible talent. Christian McCaffrey is Alvin Kamara. I mean, these are all really versatile. There's running backs now who are far more versatile than running backs of another era because they've had to be. Whereas those running backs may have been better power running backs, but these guys today, they're all fast, catch the ball, you know, but you're not loading them up with three hundred and fifty carries. It's just what you ask of them. You don't know how good they can be because they're not asked to be great in the traditional sense of my running back is going to get three hundred and fifty carries and that running back is going to have a ten year career. I didn't grow up going, man, they're going to give that guy a second contract. You just didn't. You were like, can that guy still run? And you would get a longer career like Frank Gore nowadays. And Frank Gore might be still play in another year for all I know. But you know, because he was at the right time and you could plug him in and he played for a lot of teams. He was able to get you know what, thirteen thousand yards, but that wouldn't happen.
Speaker 1: Now, I don't think, yeah, Pauling.
Speaker 7: But Frank Gore never got a big contract. He got a series of medium to small sized contract.
Speaker 1: So he was always employable, employable.
Speaker 7: He never you know, he had one year where he made six point five million dollars. That's his best single year.
Speaker 6: Otherwise it was all spread out. He's like two million, four million, two million.
Speaker 4: Yes, Seaton and Brandon Jacobs played in that La Danian Thomlinson era. Yeah, he was six four two seventy, ran a four or five forty.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Uh, he had just happened to have a couple of good seasons rather than whatever. He's almost the exact same physical statures Derrick Henry.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and didn't do it.
Speaker 8: Yes to Frank Gore just signed a deal with the forty nine. Is something in the personnel department? No, he did not, nothing too much more specific, but like literally in the last day or two he's got some kind of deal with the forty nine er to work in the front office.
Speaker 2: Supposedly something in person Well, if there was an injury, he could probably fill in for a couple of games. Dan in California, Good morning, Dan, what's on your mind?
Speaker 11: Hey, good morning gentlemen. Worst of the weekend. Three weeks before we're supposed to head off to Dublin. I asked my wife to check her passport expired May twenty twenty three, ends up getting that expedited. I believe the word is nil. So best of the weekend. As we decided we would like to donate our two tickets to the game, but the Dan Patrick Show. If you guys want to raffle those off or do something like that and donate the money to an animal shelter or something like.
Speaker 2: That, I'd be awesome. Dan, Stay on hold, we'll get the information. That's very nice of you. We appreciate that. I'm sorry to hear that. Yet you don't check your passport until you're going on a trip, and then you go when's this expire?
Speaker 9: Uh?
Speaker 2: And then it could be in a couple of weeks and I don't even think they allow you to go anymore.
Speaker 1: If it's that close to do they allow you to go out?
Speaker 6: You're right?
Speaker 7: If your passport's even about to expire, yes, you might be not be What if they came up with an alarm that goes to your phone as soon as your passport's in that window of expiration.
Speaker 6: Shouldn't you get that like six months in advance?
Speaker 2: Well, maybe the passport company could give us a little alert, like an amber alert, Yes, for your passport.
Speaker 7: That guy who's whose wife can't go to the Dublin, Yeah, can he go without her? What would be the policy if you want round trip tickets to Doublin are about to and you found out one of the two people cannot go because of passport?
Speaker 3: I think I would can't keep up with your paperwork.
Speaker 2: Janis Yeah, I would have to kind of wait, you know, for my wife to go.
Speaker 1: You know what you should go.
Speaker 6: But your first response is.
Speaker 1: Oh, no, honey, no, it's us.
Speaker 6: How many no honeys do you have to do before you go?
Speaker 1: Well, I'd say three.
Speaker 6: Okay.
Speaker 3: It just wouldn't be fun without you.
Speaker 1: Like, let's try it, let's try it. Yeah, honey, what's wrong?
Speaker 7: Passport expired? There's no way around it. I'm not gonna be able to go to the Double. Oh no, but.
Speaker 6: I don't know. It's my fault.
Speaker 7: I wasn't devastated. I'm devastated. I should have checked on this, but you know we don't want to. I want to ruin it for you.
Speaker 2: I know you loved them The Irish a romantic getaway. We get just drunk and next stupid to watch the Irish.
Speaker 6: But I don't want to run it for both of us.
Speaker 1: So you go, oh no, I can't. Seriously, I could really, Yeah, that's pretty good. That was a little quick. Yeah, I know, really.
Speaker 6: I think you should have gone to other thirty seconds.
Speaker 2: Ten to thirteen weeks processing times. That's routine if you expedite a passport seven to nine weeks. I'd go back one more time to the wife and go, hey, thinking about donating these tickets to the Dan Patrick show. And you know Dan wanted me to go, and I said, no, no, only one Dan going on the trip, can't have two. And then you hope your wife goes, yeah, well that would be fun, right, not as much without you, honey.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Then you let it simmer just a little bit, and then you see if she revisits, and then if she doesn't, then you then you know, you're like, any who, I'm gonna send these tickets to the Dan Patrick show. Yes, Marvin, but.
Speaker 10: You can't let your wife know that you're having too much fun in Dublin. I made a mistake in Arizona, by the way, at the Super Bowl. Yeah, so my wife, she's literally already invited herself to Las Vegas.
Speaker 4: Oh that's a classic first super Bowl move.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, that's a classic.
Speaker 10: First Remember we left and it was one degree. Yeah, that's right, And I facetimed her At the pool.
Speaker 2: You guys were having I will say that you in the back room guys had a lot more fun than we did.
Speaker 10: I'm just saying, yeah, night one when two people got tattoos.
Speaker 1: Yeah, tattoos.
Speaker 2: Uh they were You were on a golf cart with a who was your driver?
Speaker 10: She knew one of your friends too.
Speaker 1: Yes, what was her name?
Speaker 10: Jugs?
Speaker 1: No, not on her passport, but a friend of mine Christ. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So's she's on the cart driving the back room guys through the streets of Old Scottsdale and my friend is coming in and he sees her and goes, hey, Jugs, how are you? And I go Andy, you know her? He goes, oh, yeah, everybody knows her. And I had all the Danettes, the back room guys on this golf cart going around Old Scottsdale. There it's like and I took a picture of these guys with her.
Speaker 4: And ironically she was known to carry massive jugs of water, more than anybody possibly could. And that was where she got there.
Speaker 2: Oh, her dad invented the jugs gun.
Speaker 1: Yes, I forgot.
Speaker 2: We're at a base, will see that was yes, Yes, that was the precursor to the radar gun. They had the jugs gun, and and she would have registered on the jugs gun. She would have been Nolan Ryan on the jugs gun. AnyWho see this is the kind of fun that Dan is going to be missing out when we're in Ireland.
Speaker 4: It'll be all by yourself trying to make jugs jokes and dogs aren't going to laugh as hard.
Speaker 2: No, No, let's take a break. Last call for phone calls. What we learn what's in store tomorrow right after this. Thanks for listening to The Dan Patrick Show podcast. Be sure to catch us live every weekday morning nine until noon eastern sixty nine Pacific on Fox Sports Radio, and you can find us on the iHeartRadio app at FSR or stream us live on the Peacock app. If you're optimistic about the Detroit Lions making the playoffs.
Speaker 1: Keep this in mind, the.
Speaker 2: Last time the Lions won a divisional title thirty years ago. They've won one playoff game in the last sixty five years. They were one game over five hundred last year. But everybody is ready to christen the Detroit Lions. And would I love that to happen? Yes, I thought they were a playoff team last year, but history is certainly not on their side. How about this day in sports history?
Speaker 7: Paulie got a couple the race car driver in nineteen thirty two. Enzo Ferrari retired from racing. In nineteen fifty he launched a series of cars under his name.
Speaker 6: Worked out pretty well.
Speaker 7: Nineteen sixty one the first tie in All Star Game history Major League Baseball when it was stopped in the ninth inning due to rain at Boston's Fenway Park. Nineteen to one, and a seven week baseball strike came to an end when the players and owners agreed to a new free agent composition compensation.
Speaker 6: And it is a sad one, but it was very impactful. Two thousand and one.
Speaker 7: Corey Stringer, very good offensive line with the Minnesota Vikings, collapsed during practice. Twenty seven year old died next day. Due to multiple organ failure due to a heat stroke, and NFL quickly after changed a lot of their policies with practice, training, camp, heat and water.
Speaker 2: It was on this day in nineteen ninety seven Mark McGuire, leading the American League with thirty four home runs, traded to the Saint Louis Cardinals. Also on this day two thousand and seven, a seven for one deal Kevin Garnett traded from the Minnesota Timberwolves to the Boston Celtics. The Timberwolves received Marv Do you want to take a guess? There's a seven players involved here? Well five because there's two first round picks involved as well.
Speaker 10: The Pride of Waterbury, Connecticut, Ryan Gomes.
Speaker 2: Ryan Gomes is in there, blue Bloop, former Providence.
Speaker 10: Player, yep, all right, Sebastians Heelfier, Yes, uh oh, Al.
Speaker 1: Jefferson, Al Jefferson, Oh my goodness.
Speaker 9: Oh.
Speaker 2: One is a big man ish and the other one was a good leaper.
Speaker 10: Jeral Green Gerald Green, blue bloop and big man ish. Yeah you know college you went to? No, Yeah, I'm theo Ratliffe. Wow.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And then two first round draft picks.
Speaker 10: Four of the five was pretty amazing on.
Speaker 1: That thank you, Tom. Let's see what else do we have here?
Speaker 9: Uh?
Speaker 2: Who did the Oakland A's get for Mark McGuire when he amstraded?
Speaker 7: This would be a toughy July ninety seven. Yeah, the Sandless Cardinals gave up Eric Ludwick, TJ. Matthews, and Blake Stein for Mark McGuire.
Speaker 1: Blake Stein, the Blake Big.
Speaker 6: Yeah, don't be confused.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: Do you know the first reigning Cy Young winner to be traded the following season? It happened on this date in nineteen eighty nine. Nineteen eighty nine left hander played for a couple of teams. Yes, Pauline, Dave Steve, Dave Steve.
Speaker 6: No, you like that reference though, yeah, Dave Steve Steve.
Speaker 2: Actually, here's one for you. Bill Burns has a no hitter broken up with two ounce in the ninth inning. Burns and Dave Steve of the Blue Jays the only pitchers to lose multiple no hitters with two ounce in the ninth inning.
Speaker 9: Reference.
Speaker 2: Yes, that was nineteen oh nine with Bill Burns. Let me see Frank Viola. He is the first reigning Cy Young winner to be traded the following season. The Twins sent him to the New York Mets, Frankie Vae Yeah, Jason and Nebraska. Jason, thanks for holding what is on your mind today?
Speaker 13: Hey Danny Dan, it's love you guys. My best is, like Martin said, the Bud Crawford by dominating Errol Spence, and it's just the way he did it. I mean, he could have gone in there and they could have you know, I know you said it was lopsided, but it was just nice to see him go in there and just completely dominate and knock them down, which is the first time for Aero Spence. My worst is uh, and I'm not bashing here, it's just I'm a casual fan. But NASCAR, it just seems like every race this year, the last ten laps goes on for about an hour and a half and there's all these cautions. People forget how to drive cars, and therefore it goes into overtime. Just a kind of lousy way.
Speaker 2: Thank you, guys, Thank thank you. Jason Brandon in San Diego, Hi, Brandon.
Speaker 9: Hey, good morning fellas that were doing good the good six three, two forty three. Yeah, My best of the weekend is the Padres sweeping the Rangers and trying to get back on the right track, and now they got a dating course field which always helps get to bat, get the bats alive. And my best is I was at the game yesterday in the seventh inning. As I'm getting my last beer their last call, I run into Jake Peevee, who just got inducted into the Padres Hall of Fame, and so awesome guy, pretty.
Speaker 2: Nice, Thank you, Brandon. Findal results of the pole question Seaton or pole Questions.
Speaker 4: Well quest John's Yeah, we had up there who's comments were more out of line? Sean Payton or Jim Mersay? Right now fifty four percent of the audience a Jimmersay. And we also put up there Aaron Rodgers over under two and a half years with the Jets.
Speaker 3: Right now the under is crushing eighty two.
Speaker 2: Peter King thinks it's gonna be at least three years for Aaron Rodgers. I mean, who was the great food.
Speaker 1: Critic who traveled the world, Anthony Bourdain.
Speaker 2: That's what I could see Aaron Rodgers doing something like that, where he just traveled the world and experienced all these different things in different places.
Speaker 4: Yes see, by the way, we should call for Larry Fitzgerald. He's been traveling like that. I guess the last like four or five years or something like that, he's just been going all over the place.
Speaker 1: We should call for him.
Speaker 3: Let's just talk travel.
Speaker 1: That would be nice.
Speaker 2: I think there's a there's like a thirty under thirty countries under the age of thirty, and maybe there's a forty under the age of forty countries. But if he's up to ninety seven or something like that, Larius, I think, wow, I think he's he never retired, did he?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 6: No, never announced it.
Speaker 1: Nope.
Speaker 2: Let's go around the room. What we learned on this program? Todd sans Beard, What did you learn today?
Speaker 8: You walked out of the movie theater in the middle of Asteroid City and into the rain.
Speaker 2: I know I wanted to like it. Great cast, Scarlett Johansson, gorgeous.
Speaker 1: See O'Connor.
Speaker 3: Yeah, don't bother with Asteroid City.
Speaker 1: I know I've been considering it.
Speaker 10: Marvin DeMar Halen top ten famous football player.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, Paulie two.
Speaker 2: Dave Steve mentions, I just learned discover credit cards do something awesome. At the end of your first year, they automatically double all the cash back you've earned everything, double cash back from trips and restaurants. When we go to Ireland, see terms and check it out for yourself. Thanks for the phone calls, emails, tweets, They all around. Support for those watch on Peacock, those chatting on chat Row, and our radio affiliates around America. Thank you for your support. Have a great day. We'll talk with you tomorrow.