Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news.
Speaker 2: I'm going to go a little bit nerdy here right now is a precursor to get into Bill Dudley with his exceptionally important essay of the morning. And I'll be quick about this, folks. When we have Richard Clareda on the former vice chairman of the Fed, there's a whole academics behind him that has a big fancy name that's called DSGE Dynamic stochastic general equilibrium theory. This is PhD work. A guy named Carl Walsher came out of the same Berkeley combine is. Bill Dudley years ago wrote on the contracts, the agreements, the beliefs that a central bank has. Ben Bernanke said it was one of the three most important papers on how central banks think. Joining us now on how this central bank thinks. William Dudley, the former president of the New York Fed, Bill, we've shattered ex post x am take beliefs. How far behind is this central bank?
Speaker 3: Well hard to say with any precision, but I think it's pretty simple to say that the dual mandate objectives of clation employment now are pretty close imbalanced. Yet Materrey policy's still quite restrictive. Most people think that neutral is somewhere between three and four percent on the federal fund rate. So call us one hundred and fifty bases points away from where we should be.
Speaker 2: If we have a vector of whatever it is, economic growth, disinflation, whatever we drop in our minds. Peter orzag would call it a glide path, which is a glide path right now. That matters to Bill. Dudley says, this Fed's got to get up and go.
Speaker 3: I think the main issue is the fact that when the labor market tends to deteriorate, either tends to deteriate a little or a lot. So you don't want to go past that threshold where the labor market starts to feed on itself and continue to worsen. That's why you want to take on insurance now by going more rapidly rather than going gradually.
Speaker 1: So Bill, in your Bloomberg opinion piece today, you note that the two objectives of the feds dual mandate, that is, price stability and maximum sustainable employment, that they've come into much closer balance, agjecting the monetary policies should be neutral, but we're pretty far from neutral. So how do we get to neutral? And how quickly do we do that?
Speaker 3: Bill, Well, I think the reason why the Federal Reserve is going to do fifty basis points this week is to get there more quickly. Now, the good news there's a lot of easing's already priced in over the next year and a half. So the market's priced in two hundred and fifty basis points by the end of twenty twenty five, so it's not absolutely critical that they do fifty versus twenty five a day. But doing twenty five would have been awkward because it would have disappointed market expectations. They probably would have shown only another fifty basis points in their summary wreck and out projections, so the Fed would be essentially saying we're going going to do seventy five basis points this year when the market was priced for about one hundred and twenty. So I think doing fifty brings the Fed more in alignment with the market, and it also fits the logic of the moment.
Speaker 1: Bill, are you, do you have a concern or a reasonable concern that by maybe going slower than they should, that inflation gets back, recession gets pulled back onto the table.
Speaker 3: Well, I think there's a risk of that. I mean, every time the unplaying rate has risen by more than a half a percent on a three month moving average basis over a twelve month period in the United States, you've always had a recession. We've actually hit that trigger. Now. I don't think that trigger is a hard and fast rule that has to hold every time, but it does tell you that when the layer market deterioration goes down beyond a certain point, it tends to become self reinforcing. The next stop after a half a percent increase is one point nine percentage points at a full blown recession. So that's the risk the FED is taking by waiting.
Speaker 1: Hey, if the FED only goes twenty five basis points, do you think we'll get a dissenting vote there?
Speaker 3: I would think so at this point. I mean, I think what's essentially happened is the change expectations last week with those two articles that came out on the Wall Street Journal and the Financial Times, sort of suspicious articles because they basically reopened the possibility of fifty when that was sort of getting closed off. Since that time, we haven't had any you know, FED intervention in any way that's visible, So it seems at least that the FED is comfortable with the shifting expectations away from twenty five to fifty. So I don't think, you know, as time passes, I think what's going to happen is we're going to continue to price more in the direction of fifty.
Speaker 2: I'm going to go nuts here. And you know, thanks Marty emailed it. Marty, thank you so much for listening this morning. For Bill, I'm sorry, we've got a shattered way of communicating. We have basically back x number of meetings of dissent free FED. I mean every love, love, peace, love, and dope. I get it. We are the world. We are committing FED policy and discussion through a reporter at the journal.
Speaker 4: Who's the reporter at the ft Smith? Oh, Colby's Cobby Smith, Colby Smith. Okay, come on, Bill, this is blowney. How did we get here? Do you blame Alan Greenspan?
Speaker 2: Lawrence Meyer Washington University Saint Louis would say it was a term at the FED where Alan read everything. Is that where this started? Bill Dugley this.
Speaker 3: I'm not really sure why we're why we're we've landed where we've landed. I agree with you this is sort of awkward. You really shouldn't be communicating through these sort of articles in such a subtle way that some people get it and some people don't. That doesn't seem to be very fair for people to get the right signal from the FED. I think what basically happened was the issue of twenty five versus fifty was getting sort of closed off as you approached the blackout period. Call didn't want it to be closed off because he was actually thinking pretty strobably about fifty basis points, and this was the way to keep it open. I think what's happened is people have reflected on it a bit more. The logic for fifty has become very compelling to people, and that's why I think that's what the Fit's going to do at this meeting this week.
Speaker 2: I want to make a distinction here. This is not an Allen Meltzer fifty. I mean, we're not showing up at the discount window because the world's falling apart. Is just like an original fifty beep cut that we're getting because of pandemic mysteries, because of unknowns, or frankly, doctor Dudley, because of too much information.
Speaker 3: Well, I think they're just started a little late. I mean, I you know, a month ago or so, I said this rates in July. So if they've done twenty five in July and twenty five in September, they'd be in the same place. So I think it's a little bit because the labor market has weakened more quickly than they were anticipating. Remember, we had those very large downward revisions to payroll employment, and then the last three months in terms of the payroll gains is the lowest three month period since twenty twenty. So there's been a distinct chilling of the labor market and that's happened for really rapidly. Now. The FED is reasonably comfortable that that's mostly due to the fact that the labor force is increasing and that's what's pushing up the unemployer rate. But you know, there are quite a few signs that the layer market's a little softer than it was, and I think that's what's maybe surprised that Fed how quickly that's come on.
Speaker 1: Is there just following up on that labor point bill. Is there a level of the unemployment rate? I don't know a headline number that would really get their attention or is this trend higher that you mentioned before, is that what's going to push this FED forward?
Speaker 3: Well, I think you're you're exactly right. The labor market holds the key here. So if the unemployer rate keeps drifting up, that will continue to motivate the FED to go more quickly, because at that point the risk won't be balanced. The risk will be tilted to the downside on the labor market. So right now, think of the risk as balance. We want to go to neutral. Labor market continues to deteriorate unemployer rate keeps going up, the FED will then start to think, oh, we don't want to push policy to natural. We might want we might want to push policy to easy.
Speaker 2: Bill Dudley, you've got a key paragraph where you touch upon with you know, Vice Chairman Claren has talked about in many others three old folks. The FED decides on Wednesday. I can't believe it'll be better than the last time we did it six weeks ago, but we'll try. And the answer is, doctor Dudley, is the vectors in place of let's say disinflation for conversation, But are we getting back to two point?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: Do you simply discard what I'm going to call a John Taylor two point oh banded end point for a new end point that jumbles up all of our thinking.
Speaker 3: I think the FED thinks that they're going to get back to something close to two percent. I mean, if you look at the labor marker right now, for example, labor job openings are at a level consistent with where we were in twenty nineteen, where inflation was actually below two percent. The other thing that started making making you more confident that is what's been having a wage inflation that's come down below four percent. So I think the FED is not like giving up and saying, oh, two and a half percent inflation is good enough. I think they do think that we'll see further disinflation in the once ahead.
Speaker 1: So Bill, we look at the two year treasury. I mean, you know, just a couple of coffee goes, Tom would say, was it five percent? We're down down to three point five to five percent on the two year treasury. I mean, the market's already doing the hard work here, aren't they.
Speaker 3: No, you're absolutely right. I mean financial conditions have eased a lot, even though the federally surviving yet cut rates and that obviously makes Madre policy work more quickly than it has in the passed. But that said, you know how you know, low, low and modern income households, you know are affected by the current level of short term rates in terms of credit very dead auto yet so it's so the level the current level of short term rates still matters a bit.
Speaker 2: One of the great moments of my career, folks, and I'm sure doctor Dudley doesn't remember this weird at some whatever. You know, the coffee was expensive and Bill Dudley was chowing down the quest once as I remember, and we're talking about an America in the age of retirement. And Bill went mental and full gold and sex mental. Then he said, Tom, some people have to retire at sixty because their bodies are broken. Bill. That was an indication of your work, mechanical work, which is, there's two Americas out there. Are we committing monetary policy for the halves, the elite, the major financial system, people that benefit from financialization, and this whole debate ignores and America essentially flat on their back.
Speaker 3: Well, I actually think the priory motivation for the interest rates is the deterioration out for low and modern income workers. We start to think about the consumer spending reports have gott recently. It's all about stress at the low end, and I think that's what's motivating the Fit to cut rates more quickly. I think they're definitely taking that into consideration.
Speaker 2: Doctor Dudley, Thank you so much, Bill Dudley, without question, the essay of the day at moved markets worldwide. Look to Bloomberg opinion. I'll get that out on Twitter and LinkedIn here any moment, but it'll be widely distributed today. Bill Dudley of Berkeley, and of course of Goldman Saxoph, former President of the New York Federal Reserve System, for Bloomberg at Pinyon