Speaker 1: You can get a high score on anything nowadays, Duel lingo gives you a streak, fitness trackers give you health scores, and before you post that TikTok, you're probably thinking about how far you can push up that number of likes and follows. It seems like everything in life has become a game.
Speaker 2: The world is constantly scoring us, and the scoring systems in games and the scoring systems in the world are actually weirdly similar.
Speaker 1: Teenwin is an associate professor of philosophy at the University of Utah. He just wrote a book called The Score that's about why scoring systems work for games, but how they don't work when other things are gamified.
Speaker 2: So the scoring system is some kind of official declaration of how we're going to count things together and or how we're going to count success together. The weird puzzle that got me writing this whole book was that I had one story I'd built over a book and some papers about solf scoring systems and games made it possible to play and be free and be fluid and explore. And then that another story built in thinking about bureaucracies of how how scoring systems were pernicious trained the life out of communities, drained the joy out of things, and then I was like, crap, wait, are these things opposite or is there a bigger picture?
Speaker 1: You might have felt this yourself. Maybe it's a gamified app that's supposed to motivate you to exercise or learn, but then you end up just hyper focusing on the numbers, or you just get addicted to the app and the activity itself isn't even fun anymore. A lot of times gamification leads to you getting played. So in today's episode, we talk about when gamification works, when it doesn't, and also some of the weird things that can happen when a philosopher decides to study video games from Kaleidoscope and IHEARTPI cast. This is kill switch.
Speaker 3: Discronized.
Speaker 1: I'm Dexter Thomas.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry, m m m M, I'm sorry, sorry, goodbye.
Speaker 1: Is there a point where you have noticed that we really started as a society started using the raise gamification and really bringing that into everything else.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the I'm not sure when it started, but the moment it got really popular was Jane mcgonagall's book Reality Is Broken, which really pushed the idea that you know, games are fun, they're really engaging, and other parts of life are grinding and boring, and so if we apply those things, we can make things more fun.
Speaker 1: In twenty eleven, a game designer and researcher named Jane McGonagall put out a book called Reality Is Broken. Why Games make Us Better and How they Can Change the World, And one of her main arguments was that we could apply game mechanics to various parts of.
Speaker 4: Our life and then we get all this positive feedback. You guys have heard of leveling up and plus one's strength and plus once intelligence. We don't get that kind of constant feedback in real life. When I get off the stage, I'm not going to have, you know, plus one speaking and plus one crazy idea plus twenty crazy idea. I don't get that feedback in real life.
Speaker 1: That's Jane McGonagall and her ted talk back in twenty ten, and her thesis back then about Game of Vacation was really optimistic. She proposed that we could use the structure of games to solve real world problems like depression or obesity, even all the way up to global issues like climate change.
Speaker 2: When I look.
Speaker 4: Forward to the next decade, I know two things for sure that we can make any future we can imagine, and we can play any games we want. So I say, let the world changing games begin.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 2: She was not the first person to start. But for me, this book is like the moment where it goes from a background thing to like something that is on the tip of everyone's tongue.
Speaker 1: And really, this gamification stuff was already everywhere. A few days before that Ted talk was posted online, Starbucks announced that if you checked into a Starbucks location five times, you would get a barista badge on the four Square app. At that point, that was all you would get, just a badge, not even a discount on a latte. They eventually did add those perks too, but for a while it was just gamification for gamification's sake. It's gotten more sophisticated since then, and gamification is in every part of our lives now, exercises, gamified household chores, of gamified man. I logged into my bank app today and it told me that if I read their little article about password security, I could get a security scholar badge. And it kind of makes sense. Games are fun. A lot of us like playing games, so why can't we bring some of that fun into ordinary life.
Speaker 2: A lot of what I've been trying to figure out is why that doesn't work. This is probably a familiar story for a lot of people. Like I wanted to get healthier. I started exercising a little bit, I started watching my nutrition a bit. I got better. Then I got an app that tracked my nutrition, and I started losing weight. And then I just became obsessed with losing weight and maximizing my whatever, like my macro count, and it made me miserable. I stopped having any joy in eating or like like, I just became obsessed with this dry app tracking weight loss thing, and I don't think I got particularly healthier. I just made my weight numbers go down and got miserable.
Speaker 1: This phenomenon is what teen Winging calls value capture.
Speaker 2: Value capture is the term I came up with while trying to understand why I was so uncomfortable with gamifications, even though I love games. So value capture is any case where your values are rich and subtle and dynamic or developing that way, and then you get parked in a social setting or an institution that gives you a simplified, typically quantified version of your values, and then the simplified version takes over. Right. You start exercising for health and joy, and you come out obsessed with either your weight or your step count or your vo two max. Right. You go into academia like me, for the love of philosophy, and you come out obsessed with your citation rate and your publication rate. Right. So it's something where it seems like your values collapse around a very simplified external target.
Speaker 1: And value capture can hit everything and everyone.
Speaker 2: I was talking to a pastor and he was like, yeah, you know, like his church had developed an internal leaderboard of who is getting more baptisms and he had found yes. Right. He said that he had started realizing he stopped tuning his sermons for spiritual growth and started tuning them for popularity so we could go up the baptism leaderboard.
Speaker 1: Yo, we have algorithmatized Jesus Like, come on, man, are you surprised? No, I'm not. I'm not, but yo, yo, gamify baptisms is wild.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm gonna give you one of my favorite examples that actually has gotten cut from the book because there was dissent about whether it was too gross or not. But I think I have to I was doing, I need to talk to it. So the thing we're really interested in is the way that the invasion of scoring system changes our targets and undermines what we were actually trying to do. And one place where this becomes incredibly obvious is pick up artists, because pick up artists are I mean, it's even in the language, like what do people talk about when they're competing in this way? They talk about scoring, right, that's even the term we use, yes or people use. So really interestingly, I found that there's a little literature of sociologists and anthropologists so it studied pick up artists, and it's depressing because what I found out was that pick up artists typically compete for romantic success in some way. So some of the things that are typically competed for are like number of phone numbers, number of sexual act, speed for meeting someone to having a sexual act, like, they compete for all kinds of things, and things they don't compete for. This is the important thing. Things pick up artists never compete for are number of healthy relationships. They don't compete for like romance, and they don't even and this is something that I found out from an anthropologist named Eric Hendrix, who embedded with pick up artists royile they don't compete for how much they enjoyed a sexual encounter. In fact, a general theme, he says, of pick up artists culture is the need to cleanse yourself of any like being willing to suffer and work hard and stop having to think about pleasure or enjoyment in order to win, to win? What exactly? Okay? And so I mean? I had thought when I started reading this stuff that it would turn out that pick up artists were evil, but at least enjoying themselves. And what I found was so much worse, Like even enjoyment and pleasure has been sacrificed on the alter of number go up. My worry is that in some way we are all pick up artists. We have all sacrificed what matters on the altar of going up in a publicly accountable, agreed upon way.
Speaker 1: So why is it that games can be fun and rewarding, but gamification of real world activity can screw up your internal value system? We'll get into that after the The thing that games and game of five metrics have in common is that they've both created a measurable goal and a way to get there. In other words, a scoring system in basketball that can look like putting the ball through the hoop more than the other team. Of Twitter, that can look like getting a certain number of likes and retweets.
Speaker 2: There's something really pleasing and clarifying about having that scoring system. There is a pleasure to knowing like, oh shit, my tweet went viral and I can tell you very clearly that this is like ten times more popular. But I think there's a deep difference between them. So one of my favorite game designers, Ryan or Knittia, who's this incredible German board game designer. He says the most important part in his game designer toolkit is the scoring system because it sets the player's motivations. But what a game designer does is they screw around with the score.
Speaker 1: To get the effect they want. What Team means by this is that a game designer will tweak a scoring system to get you, the player, to have the kind of experience that they want you to have. One of the examples that he lays on his book is the difference between dungeons and dragons and this other variant called Lady Blackbird. So one of the problems that some people have with Dungeons and Dragons is that some people just don't get into the story all that much. They just spin the whole game killing stuff. You're incentivized to do that because that's how you get points. So someone made this game called Lady Blackbird where you get points for acting in character and for getting in trouble with other characters. So instead of focusing on your kill rate, you focus on telling an interesting story along with everyone else.
Speaker 2: For the game designer, the scoring system is part of their artistic medium right. Their medium is agency. They are changing what you can do and what you're trying to do, but not because of the outcome necessarily, but to build some like really interesting activity.
Speaker 1: And this also applies to Game of five metrics too. The designers of Dual Lingo are using the artistic medium of a scoring system by giving you a goal and kind of nudging you toward that goal with certain behavior, just like the designer of Lady Blackbird is. Lady Blackbird wants you to have fun with your friends by telling a wild story, and at least on the surface, Dual Lingo wants you to learn language by keeping up a consistent streak of days on their app.
Speaker 2: First thing it's clear is that game designers are pushing things around for you, and most bureaucratic systems are not. Amazon is not tweaking its leaderboard for the sake of the joy of its warehouse workers, right, It's tweaking it for some other purpose, for its own, for corporate efficiency.
Speaker 1: So this is where things start to break down. A scoring system in a game gives you an objective to work towards. It can make a game fun and rewarding. But when the gamification's objective is not fun but instead its engagement or efficiency, it can start to get manipult or even exploitative.
Speaker 2: So, going back to.
Speaker 1: Duo Lingo, a few years ago, they changed the way that their streak counter worked. Du Lingo has a daily goal, which is usually made up of a handful of lessons, maybe speaking, reading, and so on, and to keep that streak going, you had to do all those lessons to fulfill the daily goal. But then they changed it so that you don't have to hit that daily goal. You could just complete one single lesson and the streak would keep going. This leads to more people using the app every day, which is great for dual Lingo But on the other hand, less people were actually reaching their daily goals after that change. If the point of using duo Lingo is to learn a language, then not pushing you towards hitting those daily goals seems counterproductive. I mean, you could very easily do just one short lesson a day and you're not really moving any closer to being able to speak French or Japanese. But what if the point of dual Lingo isn't actually to teach you that language. What if it's just to keep you using their app every day so they can make money. In that case, that change would be a big success. And okay, maybe dual Lingo's use of gamification is pretty harmless. I mean, maybe you can't order baguettes like a native Parisian or you gotta watch dubbed anime. But there are more insidious versions of this, like, as Tina went mentioned, the Amazon leader board, How's it damn.
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 1: So, for those of y'all listening to the audio version of the podcast, that was a TikTok video from twenty twenty one that showed a leaderboard of one of Amazon's warehouses, and according to the video, some of the achievements that you could strive for were punctual picking up Speed or the big one, make History, and in order to get that one, you had to pick up one million products. Amazon calls US leaderboard programs FC games for fulfillment centered games, and it started testing it back in twenty seventeen, and by twenty twenty one, it had expanded these games to fulfillment centers in at least twenty states. If gamifying work sounds weird to you, well yeah, it sounds weird to me too, So to be fair, an Amazon spokesperson told the magazine The Independent that quote, employees have told us they enjoy having the option to join in these workstation games, which are completely optional. They can switch in or out of different games depending on their preference, can play anonymously, or not play at all. The choice is theirs end quote. So yeah, if my employer put a leaderboard up on the wall, I'm not sure if I would feel like it was actually completely optional.
Speaker 2: The right spirit to play games, and that makes them deeply fun instead of merely addictive, is a spirit of playfulness, and that's the spirit that you might try on a party game with your friend. But it sure isn't the spirit of what happened. When you force your students or workers under a leader board that they have no control over and tell them that they're going to lose their jobs or get promotions based on how they do on this leaderboard, that is the opposite of the spirit of play lifeless.
Speaker 1: But that thing you said, I think that's really important, though, that's a distinction that almost is really hard to make because addictiveness looks like fun at first, because at first, when you start, I mean, shoot, yeah, let's look at one of those leader boards at you know, the factory or whatever. Who moved the most boxes? It's kind of fun to try to go up the leaderboard, right, And there is a certain kind of person who single mindedly will dedicate their entire life to moving up that leaderboard for who moved the most boxes. But for the most of us, it's something that you're kind of it kind of feels like you're being tricked into doing it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. One of the starting points for me trying to figure all the stuff out was losing months of my life to the computer game Civilization m CIF gruelingly addictive, Yeah, and thinking I had fun, telling myself I had fun until and I think a lot of people out of this experience. You walk out and you're like, I've just lost months of my life and I can't remember it, and I feel bad.
Speaker 1: So this kind of thing can happen in games too. There's this hit of dopamine that becomes addictive, and it manipulates you into continuing to play or to engage, and it makes you start to believe that you really do want whatever it is of the game or the app or the leader board is making you work for that. Right there, That is value capture and action.
Speaker 2: So I actually end up thinking that the way to think about it is that you are outsourcing your values instead of deciding for yourself. You're letting like Mark Zuckerberg set your values for you.
Speaker 1: Even if you've managed to stay away from scrolling endlessly on your phone, you've definitely been a victim of what, for me, is probably one of the most insidious examples of value capture the school system, or more specifically grades.
Speaker 2: So there is a great paper called Making the Grade, The History of the A to F marking scheme in American Education that points out that we have plenty of research that clear grades are not good for education. They narrow students curiosity. They make students competitive instead of open minded. They kind of like kill students interest in anything but doing well in the test. We actually have known this since the eighteen hundreds. The United States actually went off numerical grading in the eighteen hundreds. This article will teach you really, yes, okay, for these reasons, we knew we had ample evidence that it didn't work for education. The reason it came back was employer interest in having clear certificates that would prove that someone could do the work, so they could quickly hire someone that would be capable of doing the work. So the grading system is a system that embodies the interests of employers, not of students. So my worry is if you become captured by GPA, then you will be guiding yourself by a value system that wasn't made by you for you, for your own health and well being. But you'll be captured by an evaluative system that was engineered from the ground up to serve the purpose of employers who want to quickly hire and fire people replaceably.
Speaker 1: It's so interesting to say that because when I teach college classes, basically every time I do it, I will go up in the beginning of the session, I will say, listen, I don't do grades. At the end of the semestery tell me what you want. I'll give it to you. I don't care. And you would think that students would love this, And everybody I tell this too, says, oh, well, they probably just ask for A's right. Everybody gets extra nervous. And the more elite institutions that I teach at, the more nervous they get about it, because it's like, wait, huh.
Speaker 2: What do you mean.
Speaker 1: I can just have an a like I don't really understand what we're doing here. The thing that I'm trying to do is say, hey, I want to take that pressure off. But that actually it's not as successful as you would think it is.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So I have been trying to ungrade forever. And I mean I actually literally teach in my intro ethics class a unit called is grading Bullshit? We read a famous philosophy favor from Harry Frankfurt called what is Bullshit? And then I teach them this making the great stuff? And I'm like, Okay, he's grading bullshit and they have a lot to say about that. But I think one thing that as educators we have to confront is the fact that it would be one thing to have an ungraded world and the other to ungrade your classroom where the rest of the world wants grades and students have been brought up to expect them.
Speaker 1: This is another fundamental difference between a gamified system and an actual game. In a game, you can choose and tweak the game you're playing. Like I played a version of soccer where nobody gets to use their hands, even the goalies. It's more challenging and it's kind of fun. In an actual game, players can come together and agree to change something, but in real life that choice isn't always up to you.
Speaker 2: So the anthropologist Johann Husinga, who is one of the early games, he has this book Homolludence not Homosopians, Homolludens. We are the playing creature. He says that what games are and what play is is something that occurs in a magic circle. A magic circle is an isolated domain of meaning where you enter into it, and the meanings and reasons you do things change what he means, It's like, you know, we might hate each other, but we're from the same team with basketball. Suddenly it doesn't matter that we hate each other. We're going to co operate, and it doesn't matter if I love my spouse. If she's on the opposite team, I'm going to block the pass. But more importantly, they're disconnected from each other. So an important thing about say, like a metric like GPA, you don't have a lot of freedom. If I try to take my class off of the GPA standard and like not give letter grades, my students are screwed. Right. That system is designed so that it's the point is that everything is locked together. For games, there's no lock. It doesn't matter if I don't like Mario and I want to speed run it. I've created a different game with an independent scoring system. So there's a freedom to manipulate the scoring system for different reasons, which creates an ecosystem of different experiences. You can house rule dungeons and dragons. You can't house rule GPA. You can't house rule subscriber accounts. You can't house rule KPIs. You cannot tweak them in the light of some subtler. Beautiful good.
Speaker 1: Okay, So a big problem with gamification is that the scoring system isn't aligned with our actual values. So couldn't we just fix that by changing the scoring system. Well, it's not that easy. We get into why after the break. Okay, so social media platforms are making us value likes and follower counts. But what if they switched the incentive to I don't know how many hugs you got last week, like something you should actually care about, something more wholesome. Couldn't we theoretically solve this problem of value capture by just changing those knobs that were twisting teen Win says, this probably won't work.
Speaker 2: So sometimes when I talk about this stuff, I give examples of bad metrics, and people want to be like, oh my god, like those are bad, but let's just get better ones. And I'm really interested in the possibility that there are no metrics that would make good human values, because there's something about bureaucratic metrics that's inimical to human values. What the world of metrics pushes us towards is paying attention to what's easy to count together and what we can consistently count together, and not what we actually care about. Gamification ties us to only targeting the things that are easy to count together. It ties us to maxing out engagement hours in say, making our TV programs and not like making good art. It ties us to like steps instead of a rich emotional experience with a weird trail that you are on.
Speaker 1: What ten Win is arguing is that by definition of being able to score something, to have a simple enough metric to track that we have to lose some of the complexity of real life, and that will always lead to a flattening of your experience of being a human and losing sight of how complicated real life actually is.
Speaker 2: The first place I started studying this was in what are called public transparency metrics, like metrics that are trying to take some institution that's kind of private and insular and elite and expose it to get rid of bias and corruption. I was brought up to think, and I still halfway think that transparency is great. It does get rid of bias and corruption. But there's another effect. So charity navigators are really good case. So for a long time I guided my charitable giving using Charity Navigator, which was a nonprofit watchdog that rated charities on how good they were, how did they count good. Turns out, they counted good for a really long time in terms of something called a throughput metric. The throughput metric was the ratio of how many donations were sent to the nonprofit and how much went out the other end. So the more efficient the charity, the better it was. An efficiency meant most of the donations went out and were sent out as resources on the other end. What this actually does is it forces nonprofits to compete for how little internal spending they do, so any internal spending counts as waste, which means, for example, if you're trying to build better houses and you hire an expert and housing construction, or you hire an expert in the local environment, that count is waste and it makes your through pet metric fall. It's a terrible measure, but it looks good from the outside, and it looks objective because it looks at accounting, which is something that everyone can assess in the same way, and it ignores the actual on the ground efficacy of building better housing, improving ecosystems, because those things are really complicated and expert matters to assess, and accounting is something that looks pretty much the same across nonprofits. One way to put it is, I think there's a lot of life that has a structure where a lot of what we're doing has this natural, open ended value to it. And then we enter into official environments that said, no, no, right, here's the rubric, here's your key performance indicators, here's your subscriber accounts or follower accounts. And then we suddenly get a mechanical thing that is ultra clear that everyone can key in on.
Speaker 1: Is there a way that gamification can be used actually for good? Basically, I'm asking if his gamification is all bad because it feels like it's all bad right now. It feels like it's all manipulative.
Speaker 2: So here's a great way to interact with scoring systems and with gamifications. You try them on and you see if they work for you, and if they don't, you change them. So a lot of people use fitbit well, I think they start it and it helps them and they feel good about it. But the crucial thing I mean is to check in and keep asking is it still making me feel good? Is it still making me healthy? Is it still giving me a joy in life? And it doesn't you change it? Like rock climbing, the scoring system of rock climbing really helped me at first. It pushes you to do more difficult things, and that's what forced me to understand like the subtleties of my body. And for the first like five or six or seven years, the standard given scoring system of rock climbing worked great for me. And then I got older and I became a parent, and I didn't progress. It was impossible for you progress and more difficult climbs were just frustrating, and so I changed to trying to climb more elegantly. The problem here is not just that scoring systems are clear, but that they are given from some alien, distant personage or institution for some alien or distant reason. Then if you keep picking and modding and changing the scoring systems to suit yourself or your particular community, that's the opposite of large scale bureaucratic gamification.
Speaker 1: Well it seems like a hard to do that, right, I mean coming back to you know, say social media, right, something that exists now, like, for example, TikTok. TikTok was the first thing that I saw that in the app it would tell you, hey, here's how to make your posts more popular, and then all the other ones started to do them, and so we've gotten really used to like the point of taking a picture or the point of taking a short video is getting numbers to go up. Yeah, exactly, how do we get out of that? Like, is there a way out of that? Is that an individual thing? Is that a societal level thing? How do you get out of that?
Speaker 2: Give and I've been talking about things so far today there's like a bad lesson and the bad lesson, the lesson I don't want people to hear is like, it's all on you. Just about grit man, Just be playful and you'll be fine. And I actually think it's like, you know, some structures make life deeply and more easily playful, and other structures make it really hard. Push and incentivize and unify these external presentations of value. Example, is exactly the point. It's a very different spirit to walk into a game store and be like, hey, I could play anything, I could walk away from everything. The structure of social media and the structure of grades and the structure of key performance indicators is the opposite. It makes a world that is inimical to freedom. It makes a world that's constantly pressing on us and telling us like, ooh, just care about this little thing and you won't have to worry. You'll be able to communicate, easy to lead to everyone you'll be completely comprehensible, like you'll be unified. Right. The world is constantly pushing and I'm like, you can take steps, but it's hard because of the perfasiveness of these presentations. Look, there are things that we can do and things that we can't do. Like, for example, I'm also a teacher, and in the college classes that I teach, I tell the students don't worry about the grades. If you want an A, I'll give you an A. It doesn't matter to me. But that's just one class out of the five classes that a student might be taken that semester. So I can do whatever I want in my little corner of the classroom, but I'm not fundamentally changing the system. And you can decide to post a selfie on Instagram and not look at the likes or the comments that follows, but that doesn't stop other people from looking at your post and judging how popular or pretty or interesting you are, just based on those dumb little numbers under the picture. These are the systems that have been put into place, however arbitrary they might be by people with more money and more power than you or me. But I do feel like being aware that these systems are there and that they don't always have your best interest.
Speaker 1: At heart is helpful. I mean, this conversation definitely helped me. So I'm not saying don't use a fitness tracker, don't use a language learning app or whatever, but being aware of your ultimate goal when you start using those apps might help prevent the app from tricking you into playing a game you never wanted to play.
Speaker 2: Word a moment where I see the two extremes getting more extreme. On the one hand, I see the deeper and greater intrusiveness of KPIs and metrics, and on the other hand, I see the flourishing of these wild, weird ass indie games And I don't know. This is the fight we're participating in. A like you get to be part of this titanic struggle between the most beautiful and the most horrible use of scoring systems to bend Soul's.
Speaker 1: Great everybody's playing the game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I hope we win. I hope we do too.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much for listening to another episode kill Switch. If you want to talk to us, you can email us at kill Switch at Kaleidoscope dot NYC, or if you want to follow us, on Instagram or at kill Switch Pod and while you still got your podcast open, maybe leave us a review. It helps other people find the show, which helps us keep doing our thing. Kill Switch is hosted by Me Dexter Thomas, produced by Sena Ozaki, darlv Potts and Julia Nutter. Our theme song is by me and Kyle Murdoch, and Kyle also mixed the show. From Kaleidoscope. Our executive producers are Oswa Lashin, Mangesh Hajigador, and Kate Osborne. From iHeart, our executive producers are Katrina Norbl and Nikki E. Tor Catch On the next One, Goodbye,