Speaker 1: Niggive Land Pot is a production of iHeartRadio and partnership with Reason Choice Media. We've got one of the scions the leaders on the on the left, Congresswoman Ilhan Omar, who is making a really interesting argument uh to uh, to Democrats, to progressives, of those who are trying to build an anti Trump coalition. And I'm interested to hear what y'all think on the other side of these comments.
Speaker 2: I was reading an article today about your comments on a major Marjorie Telegreen and the fact that we should have empathy for people like her who've realized all this stuff, right, why do you get to that point? Like, why not just like leave her where she is and let her do what she thinks she's doing. Oh, I'm good to leave her where she is, let me do what she's doing.
Speaker 3: I guess why.
Speaker 4: No. I mean my point is this, if you were let stray, and you are adult enough, honest and enough to say I was wrong into believing that this was the right direction for our country. And I want to join you all because I now understand that you had it right. I'm like, welcome, right, I'm glad you finally got here because we believe that we are on the right side of history. Now, am I gonna be key keying with her?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 5: So when you're when you're calling for Democrats to show grace to former Trump supporters, what.
Speaker 4: Grace I am not? Okay, No, it's not the Trump supporters. That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying if you had a change of heart in regards to policy.
Speaker 1: What if you're a Trump supporter who had a change of hear.
Speaker 3: Policy?
Speaker 4: Okay, not you know. I mean if your list Chainey and you're like, I'm not voting for Trump, but I I'll vote for Harris. But you still hold right the all of your policy views that aligned with Trump, that means that means nothing to me.
Speaker 1: I don't So what about former Trump supporters like the march retailer Green.
Speaker 4: But if you are marginally Taylor Green and you say this man is taking us to wars that will destroy us and our resources in the future of our children, that is a policy position I have. I'm anti Wall.
Speaker 5: What does grace look like without letting those people off the hook.
Speaker 4: Grace looks like saying I agree when they make a policy point of view. Grace looks like not dismissing when somebody wants to join your coalition not just as a voting block, but as an advocate for the policies that you believe will create a better world for all of us.
Speaker 6: Can I just say I appreciate Iohans grace, But I'm a Scorpio, so my memory is long.
Speaker 3: So I just want to.
Speaker 6: Refresh everyone's recollection on why Marjorie Taylor Green will always be a beach blindeilt butch body please roll the clip.
Speaker 7: The form of the resolution is as follows recognized censuring Representative Ilhan Omar of Somalig I mean Minnesota cut.
Speaker 6: That's all we need to see. Raggedy broad Wow. Now I wanted to play that because she wasn't just offensive to il Han as she sought her censure for God only knows what reason. She wasn't just offensive when she said that she needed to be packing in the halls of Congress because she didn't trust terrorists quote unquote terrorists like Ilhan Omar and others of her colleagues who she was. She was always on the squad's ass. She wasn't just problematic when she was in congressional hearing rooms, the Oversight Committee in particular, where she said to Jasmine Crockett she can't hear her over her eyelashes, which is where beach Blonde bad built. Sorry, butch body came from. She did not have a Freudian slip on the House floor when she said Ilhan omar from Somalia, I mean Minnesota. That was with intention, and so I appreciate the moral convenience that she now has of calling out Donald Trump. But you don't even have a vote in the House of Representatives anymore.
Speaker 3: So what good is that? What good is that? What are you actually doing?
Speaker 8: Did she meet herself?
Speaker 1: You mute yourself?
Speaker 3: Oh, I'm sorry, I was so mad. I didn't hit the mic.
Speaker 6: I was saying, I don't know, okay, I would yield that if you really think that that's good, I just will just say I will just say that. She's saying, well, if you agree on Ilhan says, if you agree with us on policy, now, then we got some road to go. But the problem with the policy coalition that now sees the light. The policy coalition needs to still have a vote in Congress, and she has resigned.
Speaker 3: So that is of no use to us.
Speaker 6: You are of no, you're not even of transactional use to us again, as the Congressional black Caucuss always says, no permanent friends, no permanent enemies, No, just permanent interests. We don't even have a permanent interest because there's nothing you can do but be on Twitter yapping all day, which is all she does.
Speaker 3: So I do that.
Speaker 1: I mean, I just think it's permanent.
Speaker 8: And that's what I was going to say.
Speaker 3: Elections.
Speaker 9: Elections are about multiplication and addition.
Speaker 6: She still don't want y'all to have Medicare, Medicare, any type of Obamacare.
Speaker 3: She still don't want people on snap benefits.
Speaker 6: She still wants people deported, even if they are legally in the United States. Where where is the interest? Is the interest just in Iran? Is that just about war?
Speaker 5: Does she have to have interest in all of that? I hear, look, and I hear what you're saying. Like, I think we all we all feel that same want to hang out with her, But like, does she have to have to destabilize portions of the Republican base that will allow us to get back power at the midterms. I just think, like Blackfoot, we have we have too much to lose to not be strategic in moments like this. In my opinion, I don't have no empathy for Marjorie Taylor Green.
Speaker 8: I have strategy. I have strategy.
Speaker 5: Because our kids depend on us to be strategic over emotional, you know what I mean.
Speaker 8: And so that's kind of where I sit with it.
Speaker 3: I think I just talked about permanent interest.
Speaker 6: But I guess what I would love for you all to answer, since you all still see some earthly good in his broad please tell me what the interest is that she's accomplishing. Andrew, I heard you say defeating Donald Trump. She's gonna defeat Donald Trump with hot Twitter fingers.
Speaker 3: Where do you see her?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 1: No, no, let me let me ask you this.
Speaker 3: Let me ask you. Do y'all see her at a rally campaigning for John Austin.
Speaker 1: Let me tell you I don't need her to do that. We don't need her to induce.
Speaker 8: You don't. We don't want that.
Speaker 1: What we need her to do is to remind these people who's similar to her. And I have to tell you, I do doubt how bamboozoo she was. I'm not convinced that this was a bamboozoo, right. I think there were some inconvenient disagreements that may have put her on the outs that then were in furtherance of her going on the outs, for instance, indicating to Trump and his advisers that she wanted to run for governor, Trump responding, no, you do not want to run for governor, and you will not run for governor of the state of Georgia, and her feeling some type of way about the man she's been so loyal to deciding to turn his back on her, and the timing being such that her retirement coincided with her being vested with congressional retirement benefits because she just met the threshold the day before she decided to resign from Congress. So I think there's some convenience built in there. But this is where I think her additive value is. It is in that there are people who are similar to her, adjacent to her, who say they felt that Trump was going to carry the banner of not com passion for immigrants, but getting them out of this country. I didn't want to see brutality on my television station. I wanted to see them loaded on planes and flown out of here. It is I expect you to see America first, and that's not what we got because he's an international list and it's taken US dollars and spending them elsewhere. So she can go out and carry a message that she's she's deeply steeped in that she has credibility on with people who we need credible messages to be in front of to do one thing. As far as I'm concerned, because I don't think they can be counted on to vote for Democrats. But those who do have got you know, go forth and do great things. I think they can be counted on to stay home.
Speaker 8: Stabilize them, to sit it out. Yep, that's yeah.
Speaker 9: I think today i'k in the base. We got to week in the base. I mean you gotta and I gotta remember we come up to seven that's seventy five million votes. I mean, if you can, if you can weaken them, get them dis chanted, stay home, those type of things, get that number back down to reasonable sixty nine. You know, seventy you win, you win a presidency.
Speaker 1: All of our minds will grown over Trump winning in sixteen because we did not expect the white turnout to be supercharged, and he supercharged at base of white voters who did not show up before, who all of a sudden showed up at the polls.
Speaker 5: Non college educated white verse, which is what Marjorie Taylor greensles influences white non college educated voters that didn't participate in politics, and now they do, and they may be feeling a little politically homeless. As you said, all we need to do is just to stabilize them.
Speaker 3: I guess it's hard for me to.
Speaker 6: Argue for like to encourage, to encourage people to stay home. I would rather people be informed and do the right thing. And I think what's frustrating to me in this particular moment is if you put like do a pros and cons list, and Marjorie Taylor Green's pros and consless was right here on the policy she supports.
Speaker 3: She is ninety nine point eight percent aligned.
Speaker 6: With the GOP that is still MAGA based, And so I just don't trust that she is actually going to do the work of our interests that y'all are hoping she does.
Speaker 3: She's not going to interest I'm exactly, but I.
Speaker 6: Don't think that she's even going to be that helpful. I think her points are strictly on Iran and Israel. I think that those are the only places where she is really hitting Trump and then on her Christianity, since she also hit him about what he said on Easter, which was still related to the war and what he's doing around Jesus.
Speaker 1: So I guess she has credibility in that. But in every headline of from Fox.
Speaker 3: News with us, it.
Speaker 1: Gets us in the ears of people who like her, believed in him, who are now being told by somebody that they trust that he is not what we thought we were getting.
Speaker 8: He is.
Speaker 3: He's not on the ballot for midterms.
Speaker 6: What is she getting us about it?
Speaker 3: No, he's not, I promise I think five dollars I got five.
Speaker 8: Man.
Speaker 1: The reason we are closing the gap by thirty points in congressional districts where we were blown out by Trump, it's not because his name was on the ballot. It's because the Republican is on the ballot.
Speaker 6: Where she stands with them. I bet you she is not going to be out here throwing all the Republicans under I.
Speaker 1: Think I think we have to put this in its proper context. We are not looking for a new ally. We are not looking for her to be a friend. She is not somebody that we're going to break bread with, say, prayers together with because we're not going to pray for the same things as we fold our hands. And if there is a God in her prayer, I don't know. So all I'm saying is that those are not That's not where I'm placing my house. That is unsteady ground, the ground that I want her to play on. It don't have to include me or any candidate I support. It just needs to be to her people, to their people who need to be reminded that they've been bembo.
Speaker 8: Zoh quote quote quote. I don't. I don't really know.
Speaker 1: But if they believe it enough that they say there's no sense and going back out and putting these people back in office because they're not going to do what they promised us in the first place. And I hear your point, Angela about not wanting to have people sit home, but we're talking about elections here. They not only want us not to not sit home, we go out and vote, and then they still want to take.
Speaker 8: Our shit away.
Speaker 1: They want to steal our stuff.
Speaker 3: But I don't want to be like them.
Speaker 1: No, we're not being like them. We're saying, you know what, if you can't go in there and do the right thing, then sit your ass at home. If you can't go in there and vote for the Democrat who will advance your interests whether you know it or not, then don't go in there and muck it up for the rest of us.
Speaker 5: I do agree with Angela in the sense of, like, even in having this conversation, there is.
Speaker 8: A part of me.
Speaker 5: Maybe it's an older version of me that is uncomfortable like publicly talking about a strategy demobilized voters and.
Speaker 1: So like they're doing the D Mobile.
Speaker 8: No, I one hundred percent agree with you.
Speaker 5: I just want to like make space for what Angela is saying, Like I hate that, I hate that I'm here.
Speaker 8: I don't like being here, you know.
Speaker 5: I think it is just out of my like my deep longing to undo some of the damage that Donald Trump's done to our communities that I can say something like that on the Native Land podcast.
Speaker 8: So I hear you, Angela on that.
Speaker 3: I hear what you're saying too.
Speaker 6: I think that's fair, And you know, I wish that we again, maybe this should have been a mini pod topic too, but I wish that we we're at a place where it's like every vote counts.
Speaker 3: You have the right to have your vote counted.
Speaker 6: And while where I'm arguing that for you, you're working actively, as Andrew just said, to keep us in a position where we can't even get an ID, we can't even prove that we're citizens, can't even prove that this is our last name, and they have the Save Act on the Senate floor, you know, wavering like that's so that I understand exactly what you're saying. But to me, I never want to embody the type of power that has oppressed us in so many other their people for so long. I want us to, you know, embody a different type of power, one that's rooted in love.
Speaker 1: And the difference is Angela is they have agency and deciding whether they want to go to the polls or not. It is not a system operating to suppress their vote. It is that they have made the decision that this isn't working out for me, these candidates who I have traditionally supported, and I will not, over my dead body vote for a Democrat. I'm going to choose to sit this up. By the way, I will tell you, if we were dealing with a more sophisticated voter base, I would say what I have done before. I have gone to the polls, I have gotten my ballot, I have signed my name, and then I pushed through that machine a ballot with no vote, no choice, and the race that I was allowed to vote in on that particular ballot. And that's because I didn't want to mess up my voting record of having perfect attendants and going in voting and being part of that process simply because I didn't like the choices that I had in the particular race. It's almost the same equivalent you will have me on the polls as having gone and voted. I will not have made a single choice in the in the race in which I was able to choose, And by the way, that's legal in the process.
Speaker 9: Andrew Gillam would have been a great choice for Mayor. Tyler Hasse, you should have cast the ballot for.
Speaker 8: Shut that hell Up.
Speaker 1: Native Lampard is a production of iHeart Radio in partnership with Recent Choice Media. For more podcasts from iHeart, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.