Speaker 1: Ridiculous crime. It's a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Uh, Liza bit, I'm great ish welcome to the musical I call hanging out with Zaren.
Speaker 1: I love that you basically live in a music.
Speaker 2: I want you to sing responses back to me for this entire episode. Can you do that? Our download numbers crater Luckily everyone to protect it because I can't say, please tell a friend tell me you know, there you go. I have another question for you, though, besides my lack of singing talent. Yeah, do you know what's ridiculous? I do? I do?
Speaker 1: We got an email from this person? Is not ridiculous? Are our wake sent to us? An email with the title Taco Bell Now Taco bells in the news A little bit through for the old downstairs Kublamo.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what the kids are calling the Maha blast.
Speaker 1: I you know, if like I don't know, maybe I'll go try song.
Speaker 2: Oh I'm definitely going to go, you know, dial up some Taco bell weight loss program.
Speaker 1: For it's like a fun topic of conversation to help people. You guys. It's better than like oh I had COVID, because it's like, oh, now I have long lasting things and it destroyed my mute. No, this would just be like yo, it was crazy, and then you just tell people in detail.
Speaker 2: I got that RKA, diarrhea, the brain, the butt.
Speaker 1: Worms, taco bell the top right back on topic, Yeah, are our wake And it says, and I quote, I just want you all to know that there is a taco bell at Stonehenge. It's actually three miles up the road, but perfect if you just spent all day walking around the rocks and then like an okay sign emoji and then a map link.
Speaker 2: And you know, I love maps and I love to know where taco bells are located.
Speaker 1: So I went to street view and it's a pretty bleak looking taco bell and there's just not a whole lot going on around it. And it's a very brutalist like square minimalist.
Speaker 2: Building, opposite of the Pacific Taco Bell there on the beach.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the most beautiful taco bell in the world. Right next door Greg's the Baker with a drive through.
Speaker 2: I'm probably gonna hit Gregg's up to Oh my.
Speaker 1: God, I would not eat for like three days. I'd go to sea Stonehenge. It would be a spiritual experience. Oh yeah, and the druids would whisper into my brain, and then I would get in the car, driving on the wrong side of the street as far as I'm concerned, go to Gregs, get some stuff in the drive through, and then is there a Taco Bell drive through? There is? And then I hit the Taco Bell drive through, and then I go back to Stonehenge and I'd sit in the parking lot and shame.
Speaker 2: Eat double up. Uh.
Speaker 1: I don't think there is a parking lot. It's Stonehenge.
Speaker 2: I think it's like, I think there has to be some kind of car park situation.
Speaker 1: Never, I just drive, you know what. I would drive my rental car smack deb in the middle of the stone the grass.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, sorry about your.
Speaker 1: Sorry, buddy brother. I'm looking at this whole thing. There's there's a McDonald's there. They're open twenty four hours, pizza hut. McDonald's twenty four is for all the druids.
Speaker 2: You've thought about this.
Speaker 1: I think about druids all day.
Speaker 2: I tell you one thing that's ridiculous.
Speaker 1: I know it is. So yeah, thank you are are now that we know. I've never been to Stonehead. Do you want to go?
Speaker 2: I do want to go? I want to see it too, and.
Speaker 1: I also want to get Gregg's and Taco Bell there.
Speaker 2: I can never line up to schedule. Do I want to be there on the equinox? Do I want to like the vernal or the autumnal? I just don't know.
Speaker 1: Do I want to get explosive diarrhea there?
Speaker 2: Yes? Now, keeping it a you know, English and culture for you. As my man Billy Shakespeare once famously said in Hamlet, Act one, scene three, Oh, I've heard of that to thine own self be true, yeah, which truly is sage advice. However, around here, we and I mean we me could paraphrase that quote and add our own twist. For instance, we and by we I mean me might say, to thine own self do crime. This is ridiculous Crime A podcast about absurd and outrageous capers, heists, and cons. It's always ninety nine percent murder free and one hundred percent ridiculous. Oh, Elizabeth, you and I on the mic and off the mic, We've often talked about you winning the lottery, Oh god, yeah, And I've asked you what you would do with the money. I've asked you who you would stay with your windfall of cats today, I want to ask you a different question if you were or should say, when you win the lottery, thank you who trust enough to tell them about your good luck?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 2: How many folks would you tell?
Speaker 1: I would tell you, Oh, thank you. You keep confidence, you know you, so I would tell you. I'd probably tell my brother, Hm, I like that.
Speaker 2: I don't know after that, it gets down real quick.
Speaker 1: My best friend Sarah, I would tell her, and then my mom, because that's all.
Speaker 2: You know. I'd be like as your legal team, he'd.
Speaker 1: Tell as my attorney, Drew.
Speaker 2: So how would you keep your good luck secret once you started spending the money?
Speaker 1: Well, you know I would not be an extravagant spender, so you know I wouldn't go burn money on a boat.
Speaker 2: No pink Cadillacs for you.
Speaker 1: No, I wouldn't move to a different house. Okay, you know I think at least not right away. You know, these people go and they just like yeah, And.
Speaker 2: So I've been like three or four years. I think most of them do not have.
Speaker 1: The money right and I would. I mean, I would have it all set up, so it's sort of like I'm not touching the bulk of it. I'm living off of the interest that's generated, it's smart. And then you know what it would do is just give breathing room. And it would give breathing room to me until people they care about. So it's not like here's five million dollars go crazy, Yes, but it's like, no one would ever have to worry in my in my life, in my orbit, would have to worry about like medical bills or utilities or anything. And like then in terms of them, when you see like, oh, people that you can kick down to, those are anonymous donations, and.
Speaker 2: Then you throw in a couple like oh you can eat spam parties just for fun.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I've been having these great parties for my friends, and I bet you guys have been saving up so.
Speaker 2: Long just for you guys.
Speaker 1: And then I tell them I'm going on vacation and they know, oh, she's going to Rome. They don't know that I'm staying in like a five star hotel.
Speaker 2: The whole time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that would be my little secret.
Speaker 2: Okay, I like this, what about you?
Speaker 1: How would you would you hide it?
Speaker 2: I would probably give the money away, knowing I shouldn't have it with you. Yeah, I'd be like, this is not meant for me somehow the universe has made a mistake and I'd give it all away.
Speaker 1: I'm right here if that ever happens, Okay.
Speaker 2: I'll keep that in mind. Now. The reason why I ask all this is related to a story I want to tell you today. Yeah, there's one big danger for a lottery renter is that other people, unscrupulous people, possibly violent people, learn who the winner is and then they target them for a crime.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Now, you don't have to be a lottery winner for this to occur. It should just be that you, say, discover a gold strike, oh, perhaps a lost sunken treasure. The results can be the same. You become a target for crime. But what if it's not you, but rather someone close to you who holds this treasure? Again, the results can be the same. You can become a target for crime just because you know someone proximity who holds a fortune that someone else wants to steal.
Speaker 1: I don't like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you could be ransom to get the fortune. You can be forced to tell how to get a hold of that fortune. Crimer's got options, Elizabeth. This is what happened to the young man I want to tell you about today. Oh no, yes, his name is Brandon Souls. At the time he was nineteen years old, he was living in the city of Coolidge, Arizona. Now, if you don't know it, Coolidge is a one named after the former president. It's also a small town located about fifty five miles southeast from Phoenix or sixty nine miles northwest of Tucson. Whichever one you want to use is your point of rep relative.
Speaker 1: So it's Coolidge, like the President, not like like Surfer Valley sink Coolidge.
Speaker 2: No one says.
Speaker 1: They don't like Stuckie.
Speaker 2: That does people do maximums? Serious?
Speaker 1: Well you heard it today.
Speaker 2: They bent you hear that kids added to the lexicon.
Speaker 1: You know, forgets six seven.
Speaker 2: So what cold Coolidge? The town is located there in what is basically the unforgiving Sonoran Desert. Oh yeah, right now, this small town, it boasts a population of roughly twenty thousand citizens today. Back then it's just a few thousand less. It was originally a town known for growing cotton and for mining. But it does have a share of famous folks I looked up who were either from Coolidge or spent some formative time there. For instance, guitarist Dwayne Eddie is from Coolidge, Arizona. He even graduated from Coolidge High also named for the president Supercoe. There's also Lee Hazlewood and in the early nineteen fifties he spent two years working as a disc jockey in Coolidge and that's where he met Dwayne Eddie and then the two went to work together, and together they made the song Rebel Rouser right right. I'd love that one, the early instrumental rock song with that lonesome, ghostly guitar playing at the beginning and then later on the drums and the sacks kick in because it's still like their fifties anyway. I always like that song, so you know it was also a disc jockey on the radio at Coolidge, Arizona. I'll give you a hint. My man's name rhymes with Maylan ten.
Speaker 1: Rings, Wolfmanchak, Yes, my man Whaylon Jennings.
Speaker 2: This was obviously or not obviously. This was just before he joined Buddy Holly's band as a guitar player. He became a DJ in his teens. So yeah, anyway, back to Lee Hazelwood. After his time as a DJ in Coolidge, Lee Hazelwood went on to become a producer in his own right. He quite famously produced a song for a friend of the show, Nancy Sinatra, a little number called These Boots Were Made for Walking, great song, another great song. It was her father, Frank Sinatra Senior, who asked Lee Hazelwood to sort of shepherd his daughter's music career. Yeah, you see, Nancy had followed her father and her older brother, Frank Sinatra Junior, into the music business. Yeah. Obviously we talked about Frank Sinatra Junior before, thanks to his famous abduction. That hilarious story deserved its whole own episode. In fact, it was our first episode.
Speaker 1: No second or third, third, Guy Fiery was the first.
Speaker 2: Oh right, well, whatever, you have no.
Speaker 1: Notion of ridiculous crime history to you, You don't. It's history. No real eyes realize, real lives.
Speaker 2: To own self have some mysteries. So anyway, I digress because the reason I bring all this up is I'd like to stay with that same theme, a ridiculous criminal abduction. Okay, Elizabeth, let's get back to our young man from Coolidge, nineteen year old Brandon Souls.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: He was abducted in Coolidge, Arizona, and the reason was plain and simple. His father had a huge sum of gold. When recognizing that owning so much gold might put him at risk for some petty crime, he buried it in the dirt and sand of the Sonoran Desert around Coolidge. Okay, now, this is precaution.
Speaker 1: But not on just his own property.
Speaker 2: No, did like a trap. He had like a treasure map to find his gold. This precaution didn't stop some ambitious criminals from abducting the one person they believed could guide them to this hidden buried gold aka his nineteen year old son, Brandon.
Speaker 1: Brandon, When was this?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: What time frame?
Speaker 2: This? The story takes place in twenty twenty one?
Speaker 1: Okay, wow, Okay, so he was rather recently. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So, according to old Brandon, he went out the fateful morning of his abduction and he ran some errands, just normal day to day stuff. After his errands were done, he returned home and that's when two masked men confronted him. They hit him on the head, knocking him out. That's always beat. So when Brandon comes back to consciousness, he's now in the back of an unfamiliar vehicle. Oh No, turns out the two mask men had grabbed him, shoved in the back of their car, and they were driving him around waiting for him to come too. Once Brandon's conscious, the two mask men demand that he show them where his father buried his cash of gold.
Speaker 1: He's like, you just gave me a TBI. I can't. I cannot help you.
Speaker 2: I'm fromatic brand injury.
Speaker 1: Yes, i have to relearn language.
Speaker 2: Unfortunately, for these two mask men, not only did they give Brandon TBI, but his father had not entrusted him with the locations of this period gold, so no matter how long they drove him around in the desert, he couldn't help them find the hidden treasure. So the two mask men they grow frustrated. Their frustration soon turns to irritation, and once they fully believe him that this son of a gold hoarder has no idea where the gold is, they decide to let him go.
Speaker 1: Brandon like his dad never even told me at golds atolute Brandon is.
Speaker 2: Rather than take him back to his home where they'd grabbed him, they drove him out into the desert and they left him there where some passers by might see him and hopefully rescue the nineteen year old before he died from his injuries or from exposure.
Speaker 1: Yeh.
Speaker 2: Luckily for Brandon, that's exactly what happened. At about five twenty five pm on February tenth, twenty twenty one, the Coolidge Police Department received a call. The caller said they found a young man who was clearly injured. He been left bound and gag near the train tracks in city water tower. Oh good, Yeah. The young man, according to the caller, was coming in and out of consciousness. Rough business.
Speaker 1: Eliza, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Police responded the call, as The New York Times reported, and I quote. When the officers arrived, they found a man later identified as mister Souls with his hands bound behind his back by a belt and a purple bandana stuffed in his mouth, according to police. A photo from the police department showed the man with his hands tied while lying on his side on the ground.
Speaker 1: Hmmm bad, right, so the police.
Speaker 2: So, the police were eager to find these perps who'd roughed up this nineteen year old young man and left him in the desert. So they asked Brandon what all he could recall his kidnappers. According to the police, Brandon told them and I quote, he was hit in the head and stuffed in a car in front of his home, and this occurred after seven o'clock in the morning. That wasn't much to go off of, no, and since they were masked men, he couldn't really describe what they looked like. As for any possible motive for their crimes, Brandon informed police that his kidnapping occurred because his father had a lot of gold hidden in the desert and the men mistakenly believed he knew where it was and that he could take them and they would dig up the hidden treasure and boom they be rich.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Naturally, when the police hear all this, they get curious, like wait, what so to THETT right, Yeah, they're like, bring out the good stuff. So, while Brandon's taken to the hospital to seek treatment for his injuries, the police launch a full on investigation to find his abductors, and as their investigation takes shape, the police also took to Facebook to warn residents of Coolidge about the crime and these alleged abductors in case there's anybody else with a gold horde in the desert that they might be interested in. So the Coolidge police post on their Facebook page as you do in a small town, and I quote the male subject whose hands were bound behind his back with a belt and had a bandana stuffed in his mouth. Initially, the subject reported officers that two masked men kidnapped him, hit his head, knocking him unconscious, and drove him around in a vehicle before they left him in the area he was found. So that's pretty much all the details. I'm like, so we get a couple more cops like this, all we got.
Speaker 1: Getting knocked unconscious is a very TV thing, like a very amnesia thing. Yes, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Your instincts are sound, yeah, because there's a key word in that police statement, Elizabeth. Initially because over time Brandon Soul's story started to change. Details were corrected, timelines were adjusted, and the shape of the crime completely transformed. Turns out there was far more to the story than what Brandon Soul's originally told police. As the police continue to investigate his abduction, the facts never quite corroborated his story or the stories he evolved. You know. But before we get into all that, let's take a little break and after these messages, we'll get deeper into this story to separate fact from fiction and kind of uncover the truth. But first, a word from our sponsors, and we're back Elizabeth. Hello. Now, before the break, I told you the story of the abduction of Brandon Souls and how two masked men grabbed him and demanded that he show them where his father had buried a bunch of gold in the Arizona desert. Yeah, and when that didn't work out, they just left him in the desert. Well, that wasn't the full story, as I started to indicate there at the end. You want to take a guess of what the real story was.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm going to guess that Brandon didn't know where his dad buried the gold and thought that maybe this is how he could get access to Oh that's good, but he faked it. I don't think anybody hit him on the He may have hit himself on the head.
Speaker 2: Oh that's interesting, and.
Speaker 1: Or maybe paid some dufust friend that a ne'er.
Speaker 2: Do well friend who's got to pay Get up from that seven of them parking lot, come help me with my master crime.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's I mean, I just I'm not buying it. Now.
Speaker 2: Well, I'll tell you what actually, Okay, tell me what.
Speaker 1: Actually.
Speaker 2: He took the detectives a few days to chase down corroborating evidence for Brandon's soul's story. They collected surveillance video from his neighbors. They chased down the people who Brandon mentioned to police in his interview that took place at the hospital while he was being treated for his injuries. They're like, who, what's your buddy's name, what's your dad's name? What neighbor might have seen you? He tells them all this stuff, and he's like, well, I was driving by. I think I saw mister so and so at the store. So they go and they check up with mister so and so and with his dad and with his friends and everything. The police also checked his text messages in his call history, because he mentioned that his abductors had texted him or called him, so they're like, let me see your phone, kid. Brandon also told police that he'd received, as they said, threatening texts and calls, but when the police checked his cell phone for any record of threatening texts or calls, they found no evidence of any calls or texts from unknown numbers.
Speaker 1: No one uses his phone, he doesn't have a dad. There is no coolage.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's no Golden Arizona. They found no calls or texts that matched his version of events. So the police were like, well, that's curious. So the Coolidge police did a little more digging the surveillance they collected. It failed to corroborate his story as well. They're like, we should see on some of this video you get hit the head shoved in a car, even if it's grainy, we should see it. They had no video evidence the interviews they conducted with the folks Brandon mentioned in his hospital interview. They also failed to corroborate his version of events, so he didn't get his witnesses set up before the crime. Now this made police extra curious about what had really occurred that fateful morning of his abduction, and there wasn't a lot to do in Coolidge, so they could really focus on this case. Next, the hospital compiled its records and they shared them with the police. The hospital's tests and exams showed no signs or indications that Brandon had a concussion or had sustained any head injury whatsoever. Okay, so he is a real featherweight, glass jaw type kunk I'm on the head and he goes out and doesn't leave a mark at.
Speaker 1: All at all. But it was, like I said, it's not common to lose consciousness like that. No, after like getting clonked on the head.
Speaker 2: You gotta pretty much choke a person out if you want. You got to cut off air supply to their brain.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And then it's also when they come to it's not going to be just like do like birds tweeting around there.
Speaker 2: Or you got to like pinch the vegas nerve the way boxers do when their jaw gets twisted. Ya, you got to do one or the other. But you just hit somebody at the top of their heads kind of movie stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Anyway, it took two weeks for the police to do their investigation. Coolish police. They go back and forth and they interviewed Brandon again and then interviewed them again. They presented them with information about when they want to know what really happened on that faidful February seventeenth. And so when the detectives presented Brandon with all of their evidence and the lack of evidence supported what he claimed and I'm talking to they told him, look, look we checked your phone and he's like, oh, you checked.
Speaker 1: It longest two weeks of his life.
Speaker 2: Oh, pretty much, right, there's no calls or texted back up your story. Brandon's like, well, I'm telling you that's what happened. He's stuck to his story.
Speaker 1: But your search history.
Speaker 2: You need help some So police also presented him in fact that the surveillance video they collected also did not support his claims. She's like, my neighbors have a camera. They're like, yeah, you were not knocked unconscious or stuffed in the back of a car. So as a cooliage, police then summarized and I quote, he informed us that he was hit in the head and stuffed in a car in front of his home, and this occurred after seven o'clock in the morning. But when we located video surveillance in front of his home, we were able to see no such thing. So they're like, look, we see you walking out of frame, which don't see any abduction. Brandon stuck to his story. He's like, look, I'm telling you, what's what happened, guys. So the police informed Brandon that his hospital records conflict with his story and that there was no evidence he had a concussion blow to the head, none of it. Guess what, Elizabeth Brandon stuck to his story. Doctors can't be wrong. So the police hit him with their big surprise. They said his father told police that he had no treasure of gold, nor had he treked off into the desert to bury said treasure of gold from an he would be thieves. So now he doesn't even have the motive for the crime.
Speaker 1: Oh God.
Speaker 2: That police said that they believed that quote your story was fabricated and no kidnapping or assault occurred. Seeking This is when Brandon dropped the act and he told police what had actually happened to him. He confessed that there were no mass men, and he wasn't struck over the head and knocked unconscious, that he wasn't driven around as the two would be thieves demanded he identified where his father buried his imagined treasure of gold. The police were like, yeah, duh, we just said all that to you and we showed you our evidence. What you got, son. So Brandon then confessed that in turns out he had abducted himself.
Speaker 1: Was he Here's the thing though, if I'm the dad, I would I bury the stuff in the desert, And when asked, I have no idea what you goal.
Speaker 2: That's why you're going to keep your money when you win the lottery. Now, according to Coolidge PD and I quote, Brandon informed us that he at first stuffed a bandana in his mouth. Afterwards, he took off his own belt and bound his hands with his own belt, laid on the ground, and scooted out on the side of the road so somebody could see him, and waited.
Speaker 1: So you didn't even punch himself or anything. Head help.
Speaker 2: This elaborate story. Along with this salt of text message evidence, he claimed to have her all made up. So, Elizabeth, why why would this nineteen year old make up some wild, uncorroborated story and insists for two weeks that it was true? Questions Elizabeth Well back to the Coolidge Police as he succinctly summed up this rather curious case. And I quote, after we showed him all the information, he admitted that he fabricated the story because he didn't want to go to work. What you see that he's right is this kid, nineteen year old Brandon Soul worked in a place called the tire factory. That's where and I quote he installed tires and drove around the area to pick up parts for the store.
Speaker 1: Dude, if he's standing in one of those tire places. The fumes, Oh yeah, I would blame the fumes for making him do this.
Speaker 2: Make him go crazy. Those the rubber smell is intense.
Speaker 1: When you went, like at the Costco that I go to, you got to walk out by the tire center and it's like, I get all lightheaded. Yeah, then I faint like it's their fault. And I tell him to assume unless they give me.
Speaker 2: The hidden around the store. So I gots that faithful February morning, Brandon woke up and he was like, hell, no, I don't want to go to work at the tire store today. How do I get out of work? And this whole debacle was his answer. He decided to abduct himself. Go out to the edge of town. She have a bandan in his mouth, tighten belt around his wrist, and then lie down on the dusty air gold next door of the road.
Speaker 1: The gold story is amazing. Why did they do this? She could have just got jumped.
Speaker 2: Won't He won't tell you about it. So if he says he doesn't have it, he he just because he doesn't want you to know a bunch man like a pirate. And I know Spanish gold obviously after they determined that he confess that he'd made it all up. The local Coolidge police were pissed at this kid who didn't want to go to work at the tire store. So for one the local residents for two weeks had to live in fear that they might also be violently abducted. That wasn't all. The police were also pissed about all the wasted manpower and time and the money spent on the investigation. Police claimed that the fake abduction wasted the resources of not just local police, but also the fire department, the ems SO, the emergency medical services aka the ambulance driver and e MT. Then there was also the hospital staff wasted time treating his imagined and self inflicted injuries.
Speaker 1: All the first respect who when they were off duty went out and started just digging random holes in the desert exactly, that was a waste of time.
Speaker 2: The only person who got lucky in town was whoever sold metal detectors. So the police eventually have to release a public statement about the phony abduction. As they explained to the New York Times, it was very important that we put out that media release to let people know that our community is still safe and that there are not two masked men running around kidnapping people. Cool Out, Coolidge killage. As a result of his fake abduction, Brandon Souls lost his job at the tire Factor. Yeah, so you know, problem solved. He no longer had to go into work. So boom boom boom. You know his boss is like, if only he showed the sort of creativity and ambition at the tire shop. Now. Brandon was charged with reporting false information, to which he pleaded guilty. He was convicted and sentenced to a pay a fine of five hundred and fifty dollars. You think that's enough for him to learn his lesson?
Speaker 1: No, who knows, No, Dad probably had it.
Speaker 2: I do have to ask a question for you, another one without incriminating yourself. What is the easiest length you've ever gone to get out of work?
Speaker 1: To get out of work? I just tell him I'm not coming in. I used to work with a guy who had a gambling problem, and he would go up to Reno. Sure, and then he would call Monday morning and be like, you know, I'd answer the phone, but yeah, can you I'm really sick. Can you tell him I'm not coming in? He's like dying yet, and like I don't know, like last time I had a cold, it didn't sound like that, or like have you been stabbed? And then meanwhile in the background you hear slat.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the hospital.
Speaker 1: I mean generally, it's like I'll say, like, yeah, I'm not feeling well, I'm not coming in today, so I can't. I've never really gone to lengths because I feel like, just say it, And I can't stand when people overshare why they don't want to come.
Speaker 2: I'm not one of those people. But as you might imagine, I've gone to some insane lengths to get out of work, but I've never had charges filed against me. No, I can't say that. My friend Chris and I we used to have a business together, paint company, and one time, to get out of work, or rather to explain why we didn't do work we were supposed to do, he told a customer that his truck had been stolen. Right now, I had no idea who was going to say that, and I'm standing right next to him, so now I got to keep a straight face. Well, he goes into detail, but I his truck was stolen and then quickly recovered by the police and know we didn't lose anything, even though it's loaded up with the tools and equipment, and he just, I guess apparently hoped it. You know that I was glad he didn't wrote me in for any details because I guess you hoped I keep a straight face. Somehow I managed too, because I was not known for keeping a straight face in those instances. But I will say that if it's a story just focused on what I've done, the worst thing I can think of is like I faked injuries from skateboarding, So like I've had real injuries and just made them bleed again to get out of work. Look what just happened, right, I've done that. I've also claimed that I had a doctor's appointment that I didn't have, But you have to understand the way I got around that I had that covered because if I was questioned, I had this notepad of officials doctor's notes that I could fill out and supply is evidence that I'd gone to the doctors, so you would have no harm, no foul. Yeah. You see, I nicked this pad of doctor's notes when I went in for like a routine checkup, and they left me alone in the exam room mistake on their part. I saw the doctor's pad, like the notes on the desk, and de said, like, you just fill it out like saw doctor so and so, and you get like check boxes as go Why So I saw that and I was like yoick, and I pocketed that thing so fast. I use so many of this doctor's notes to get out of stuff. I even sold a few people I knew who might, like you, wanted to pull a scam for themselves. I gave out a few to friends, like when I wanted them to do something on the week and I'm like, here, here's I'll give you one of my doctor's notes. You're good. So it was incredible, but this is all bush lely compared to my van. Okay, well that in mind, let's take another break and after these messages, we'll be back with the cherry for this Sunday of crime. We're back, Elizabeth. Yes, Now, in my parlance, I've saved the best for last, have you know?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: And I've kind of tipped my hand though, And you know what game I'm playing. So for this next story, you'll likely presume that the story I tell you is not the real story. But I'll tell you this it may or may not be true, but either way, I do have another story for you, Okay. This one comes from the tiny town of Pineville, Louisiana, Louisiana. Yeah, home to sixteen thousand souls. And it's located in the northern half of Louisiana. Like so like far from New Orleans and the fun Cajun Navy. No, this one's up about one hundred miles northwest of Baton Rouge. And according to the New York Times, when you drive into tiny and quaint Pineville, Louisiana, you'll find a sign welcoming you to town. There on main Street is this sign that reads A great place to call home. Yeah. Now, Pineville was home to John Michael Guillard, Junior. He was a local cop. He'd been on the force for about five years. It was a good clean cop, least according to his record and his five years on the forest. He'd never had a disciplinary report filed against him.
Speaker 1: No, I would hope so.
Speaker 2: Right, So you could say he was like a young veteran cop right who looked to have a bright future on the force. Yeah, and then his life took quite an unexpected turn. Yeah. By dateline voice, I like that it was September twentieth, in the year twenty twenty. Officer John Michael Golart was out on patrol. It was just after eleven PM, and the officer was performing a routine patrol of a local strip mall. Now, typically the local PD would check this strip mall's parking lot. They might even stop to check the doors to the strip mall to make sure that they were locked and no one had pried them open or tried maybe broken a lock.
Speaker 1: That's that's white glove service right.
Speaker 2: There, and that's what Officer Gular was doing that fateful Sunday night. And that's also when he got the big surprise of his life. You know what, Rather than me tell you about it, Elizabeth, close your eyes, I want you to picture. It's another quiet night at Pineville, Louisiana, and you are a cop out on patrol because you are Patrolman John Michael Goulard Junior, driving around checking on things, keeping up with any of the usual suspects. The city of Pineville, if one wishes to be ambitious by calling it such a thing, is a sort of small municipality where crime feels rare, although feelings can be misleading. Elizabeth. If you were to check the statistics, you'd find Pineville is home to plenty of violent crime, especially relative to its small size. Local real estate listings typically include the crime stats, and those same listings point out that the small town is only safer than two percent of the rest of the nation. That's not good to put that statistic in context. That means any person in Pineville has a one in one hundred and twenty six chance of being the victim of a violent crime. That's not the sort of thing you put on a big sign welcoming visitors to Pineville. However, since you're a local police officer, you are well aware of the crime stats and your elevated chances of encountering some violence while you're out on patrol. Tonight has been uneventful. You've been out on patrol for a few hours. You had the one traffic stop. The driver was traveling at five miles above the posted speed limit. It was a minor infraction, but a small town like Pineville has to raise revenue somehow. After that traffic stop, you've been doing your rounds, checking on the churches and the local businesses. It's about eleven PM now on this Sunday night when you pull into the parking lot of a local strip mall. In recent weeks, there was an attempt to pry open the doors to one of the businesses. The thieves had no luck, but the department has promised to double check the strip mall during routine patrols. And so you pull your police cruiser into the parking lot. Gravel slowly crushed over your tires until your patrol car pulls to a stop. As the engine idols, you check your surroundings. With your driver's side window down. You can hear the cicadas and the other bugs still active in this warm night air against the backdrop of the night. Nothing untowards seems to be going down. Then you feel it, your stumming gurgles. Oh, I guess that second chili dog was a mistake. Plus, you've been going at it pretty heavy with the diet cokes. You're currently working on. Your second forty four ounce cup of coke could be that too, Who knows. You decide this stop might be a good time to relieve your bladder, take a little pressure off. No one's around, there's no one to catch you urinating in public. You shut off your police cruiser's engine all grows quiet. The door to your patrol car swings open, and you unfold yourself from the driver's seat and step out into the Strip Mall parking lot. You plan to step around the side of the businesses so you can do your business on the wa You take a step, but then you sense something odd, that strange sensation that you're being watched. You stop in place. You look around. It's so quiet you can hear your own nervous breaths, and then, without warning, you hear it the small firecracker pop of a gunshot, and then you feel it. Whoever fired that shot caught you in the leg. You yelp in pain, and then crumple to the ground. Lying there, you hear a second shot. It tears into the metal skin of your patrol car's door. You unsnap the holster and draw your service weapon, a glock forty. Its familiar weight in your hand gives you a feeling of confidence you can take down whoever it is that just shot you. You wait a moment, listening for any disturbance of the brush at the edge of the Strip Mall parking lot, or maybe running footsteps headed your way, but all remain silent. Only the insects make a sound. You pull yourself over to your patrol car and reach into the open driver's side door. You grab your police race you and make a frantic call.
Speaker 3: Officer down, officer down. Shots fired at the Pineville Strip Mall. I repeat, shots fired at the Pineville Strip Mall. I need a bus at the Strip mall. The dispatcher responds, how many shooters? I repeat, how many shooters are a present?
Speaker 2: You squeeze the radio handset in reply, unknown assailant, I repeat, unknown number of assailants. Send a bus. The dispatcher's concern colors her voice. Ems are on their way. Bus is in root. Your breathing is now ragged. The adrenaline surges through you as you scan your surroundings, waiting to see the shooter pop out. You clutch your service firearm in your hand. The glock forty feels like safety in your grip. In those long minutes you're there alone, the shooter never shows his or her face, and finally you hear police sirens approaching. Mixed in you can also hear an ambulance. The bus is here, the cavalry is on its way. So there you go. Elizabeth, you just got shot.
Speaker 1: Oh that's terrifying. Pineville, Louisiana six right, those are some crazy numbers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's it is nuts. Louisiana is number two in the nation for gun violence according to Oh Yeah. So, this harrowing account is how an unseen gunman put down Officer John Michael Goulart Junior. When he was asked about what exactly happened in that strip mall parking lot, officer gular told his fellow lawman that quote, he did not see anybody, he heard the shots, and was shot after Thank you for that, officers. After that, he was transported to a local hospital treated for his gunshot wound. Officially was listed as an injury to his calf. The curious thing that I found in my research is that Pineville, Louisiana was a semi dry city. For instance, the town has no liquor stores, nor does it allow beer, wine, or alcohol of any kind to be sold in grocery stores. Originally created as a dry city, it was only in the twenty first century that Pineville voters decided to allow alcohol to be sold in restaurants. That's like for the visitors, I guess.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: Even I was back in twenty thirteen, took a special election.
Speaker 1: That's wild.
Speaker 2: Now, thanks to that history of their blue laws, gun violence is far lower than other cities and towns in Louisiana. Now, in fact, the city doesn't even keep standalone gun violence statistics. Yeah, which is notable in the state of Louisiana, which shamefully boasts one of the highest rates of gun violence in the United States. And I did look all this up. According to JOHNS. Hopkins, in twenty twenty three, the state of Louisiana had the second highest rate of homicide by gun violence and the second highest rate of death by gun violence in the entire United States. And the state of Louisiana is like kind of known for boone booms. So while gun violence is rampant in Louisiana, it was not so common in small town Pineville. Yeah, they have more like fight violence. Yeah yeah, somebody hitting somebody with like, I don't know, a rake or whatever. Anyway, after his gunshot wound gets treated Officer Gollard, he's released from the hospital. Now, naturally, whenever there's a shooting of a small town cop in a place like Pineville, Louisiana, the local police are gonna go yah ya oh know it pulled on a full court press to find his assailants for possible assailants plural, which is exactly what these local cops did. When no word of the shooting starts to spread around the small town, Deputy Chief Darryl B. Basco stepped forward to calm the populace. He gave an interview and reported what he knew about the shooting. According to Deputy Chief Basco, he said that Officer Goillard and I quote was ambush by an unknown person. Thanks, Deputy Chief really really got to the basicly that. Okay. So obviously this is not a whole hell of a lot to go off of or to form an investigation, but since he was one of their own, the Pineville police hit the streets hard looking for the shooter or possible shooters plural. Officer Gillard's fellow lawman searched hi low or any signs of an armed purp. The department also launched a more traditional investigation. They sourced surveillance footage from the cameras of the businesses at the Strip Mall. Officers also performed a standard door knocking campaign. They went door to door and they spoke with all their neighbors in business owners who may have been around, asking them what all they may have or may not have seen or heard that night. Sure, Now, Elizabeth, keep in mind, this was early fall of twenty twenty. That same summer had seen nationwide protests against police violence after the murder of George Floyd. Police around the country at this point, they're on high alert. They were a tempting to navigate the protests and all the anti police rhetoric. So naturally, when a police officer is shot by an unknown assailant in a small town in the South, imaginations turned to the worst oh yeah possible readings of the evidence.
Speaker 1: Yeah exactly.
Speaker 2: Locals took to Facebook to do their best to back the blue. They imagined some crazed leftists had come into town, hopped up on anti police rhetoric and was shooting cops out on patrol by themselves to get back at our boys in blue. Now, in the twenty four hours after that story first broke of the shooting of Pineville officer, the local PD's Facebook page is just lit up right Oh yeah is chocolate block expressions of support and gratitude and thanks, and the local books are like they were back in the blue as hard as well physically. He's going on, you know it right? So, according to New York Times, one person who posted on Pineville's PDEs facebook page wrote, and I quote prayers for this officer and his family, blood and blue. I pray each morning a night for these men and women. Just let them go home safe and sound now. Other locals sent the gunshot officer their well wishes personally a quick recovery from this heinous attack. Some called out the shooter on the on the PD the Pineville PD's Facebook page, Yeah, called him out for their their cowardice and their prejudice. Some folks were also calling for swift justice against the shooters. You know what that means, like, let's form a mob now. The chief of Police for Pineville, Donald Weatherford, he took to Facebook to thank the public for their quote overwhelming response and he appreciated the mini officers of financial support they were put forward by local business leaders and the grateful public. Chief of Police Weatherford he also noted that your continued support and information for the investigations. What's most yeah Now, people were happy to come forward whatever they could remember and this was by the way a very true statement from the chief of police, because at this point this case was far from solved, far from settled. They were very little to go on. They've gotten almost no leads to pursue, no suspects to interrogate. They were still a basically square one of their investigation. So, as the chief of police said at the time, we never developed any suspects. As this went on like it was a rough business for them, so Elizabeth. Luckily for the Pineville PD. At this point the truth entered the picture, and when it popped up into view, well it muddied the waters of what the locals and the police had believed to be true. Oh no, it turns out there was no prejudiced, crazed leftist shooter had come to town. Now, there was no nothing, nothing in diva about this one. It was just, as a local PD later had to explain to the press, the shooting and the alleged shooter or shooters plural were apparently entirely fictional, as in, they did not exist. You See, what had happened was when Officer John Mike Junior got out of his patrol car, he shot himself. Now I made up that all that whole part about him needing to pee. I don't know the real reason he got out of his patrol car, but I do know that when he got out, somehow he shot himself in the leg.
Speaker 1: So like he didn't have the safety on and he just kind of stumbled.
Speaker 2: Or possibly maybe he wanted to take his gun out to like loosen his belt. I don't know what his thinking was, but I do know that once he realized he was shot in the leg, he radioed into dispatch that he'd been shot, and he was, and he then left out the part that he was also the shooter. He was just like an officer down. We've got an officer.
Speaker 1: Down, ballistics issues, police involved shooting.
Speaker 2: So when this story turns ont dime at this point we go back over to Pineville PDEs facebook page. The folks who were posting suddenly changed there.
Speaker 1: Toune a little bit.
Speaker 2: All those calls for prayers dried up, The folks back in the blue got real quiet, real quick, and the Facebook feed soon became home to a slew of new messages like this one that stated yourself a favor and donate to something actually worth donating to, like to the family a Briona Taylor or the many other victims of bad cops just like this one.
Speaker 1: Did he have a gofund me? This guy?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, people are offering you know, he didn't actually have a go for me that I found. So at this point, Deputy Chief Darryl Basco had to publicly admit to the press and I quote, we determined that he was untruthful and that he shot himself.
Speaker 1: Well look, and the thing is, it's like, how crappy that is for his coworkers.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're going to go through that. They're not They didn't do anything wrong. They're doing their best.
Speaker 2: They all look like pow dunk backwards.
Speaker 1: The world is this tinderbox?
Speaker 2: You got New York Times reporting on Pineville. God, when the police started investigating the shooting, they did find the bullet casings, and they were only too happy to say that the empty shells they retrieved from the crime scene did not come from the department issued firearm. Oh yeah, but that just suggested Officer Gulard shot himself with his backup gun because he was legally allowed to carry an extra gun in addition to his department issued side arm. So my guess is that his backup gun was also a glock. The safety on the glock is on the trigger. He pulled the gun, hit that safety, squeezed too hard, shot himself right in the calf.
Speaker 1: I wonder if he had it in like an ankle holster and was going to take it out.
Speaker 2: And oh, that's interesting, that'd be a smaller gun. Yeah yeah, But then I do not know, because we don't really know much about this case because you know, if we shot himself with his backup gun or whatnot, because, as the New York Times reported, Deputy Chief Basco and I quote declined to provide further details. Oh yeah, sure, yeah, they done me up real quick. Now, a more interesting question did remain unsolved. Back to the old Deputy Chief Basco, as he put it, part of what we're still doing is investigating the motive as to what he thought was going to happen by reporting in ambush instead of that he had shot himself. You see, I do find that interesting. What the hell was he thinking? Why did he plan to lie to his fellow lawman and pretend to be shot. Did he not think that they would investigate? He just trying to play them like they're stupid.
Speaker 1: But what else was he doing that? He you know, I think that if you're already doing something you shouldn't be doing.
Speaker 2: Oh, like he had someone there with him, maybe.
Speaker 1: Well yeah, or you know, you're you're just inept and you realize, like I've screwed all this stuff up. Well it's gonna make and you look at Like I said, we're living at that point in this tinder box of crazy tension across the country. You know, his mind is probably we'll play it up and then he can be the hero instead of the.
Speaker 2: Duces I thought about it.
Speaker 1: It doesn't know how to handle a weapon.
Speaker 2: I should remind you he was an officer who'd spent five years on the force, so he wasn't some scared rookie. He was essentially a veteran cop. But when this veteran officer makes a serious mistake into shooting himself, his first instinct is to lie about it. He immediately attempts to cover it up by making up this unknown shooter yeah and some gun crime, which is both ridiculs us and frankly unsurprising. Now, naturally, with this sort of embarrassment to the local PD, the mayor of Pineville had to step in to calm down the public's reaction to the lies from the local police. So Mayor Clarence Field stepped into the fray and wanted to tell reporters that he knew Officer Gular personally and he was quote a very good police officer.
Speaker 1: Oh god, you don't even need to go there with it.
Speaker 2: However, that said, the mayor did have to admit that officer Glar very much lied a by getting shot by some unseen stranger. Then the mayor connected the officer's self inflicted officer involved shooting to the nationwide police protest of twenty twenty.
Speaker 1: You're kidding.
Speaker 2: He said that it was quote unfortunate, especially considering quote everything going on in America relative to relationships between police and the community.
Speaker 1: You don't need to actually say that.
Speaker 2: Yes, your honor, it is unfortunate for a cop to shoot himself and then lie about it in the midst of nationwide protests, say.
Speaker 1: This is a terrible situation.
Speaker 2: And where and ideally, yeah, but he seems like.
Speaker 1: He's coloring all this other stuff in.
Speaker 2: He's like, you know, all that unlawful violence by police that people are protesting, Well, what if I introduced some Also, the other major theme cops who lie about the crimes they commit, and I just kind of combine those into unlawful violence on myself and lie about that.
Speaker 1: What about self friendly fire?
Speaker 2: So Mayor Clarence Field, he did con see that the local Pineville Police department was quote mindful that they will probably be looked at very differently and save some criticism, you think, Mayor. Yeah, Now, the mayor had been in office for a while. He was electing like nineteen ninety nine or so somewhere around that period of time, so he was like going on like two decades in office. So you know, the mayor really knew how he had an astute read of the public.
Speaker 1: As to say, he's in a small town. He hasn't had to make the statements exactly.
Speaker 2: He misread the public because he thought of it. Everyone just like in Pineville exactly, they'll trust whatever the cops and these other powdered pig lawyers. We got to say. Now, as for any swift justice for officer, he was arrested, charged and booked at the local detention center on I saw reported as both one hundred thousand dollar bail and ten thousand dollars bail, which I think it was people we are confusing because usually only have to post ten percent. Either way, he was booked on and he got bailed out. He was officially charged with quote mischief or false rey, part of a crime, and malfeasance in office. Now, however, this is where the trail ends, because I could find well finding official records of this case, ones that are still available online. I found a lot of four or four not you know, like it was no longer yet, a lot of dead links. It was. It was damn near impossible to find official records. So since I couldn't find any evidence that the charge is stuck or the officer, John Michael Goilart Junior, ever faced justice swift or otherwise, I have to assume that I do know he's put on an administrative leaf. Well maybe, but that's just like you know, a vacation for a cop oil investigations on going.
Speaker 1: Maybe he claimed fied immunity against.
Speaker 2: Himself and himself. Oh I know, well I'm guessing this much. Pineville being a small town in northern Louisiana. I think this officer involved shooting was eventually swept under the rug and now he works in Arkansas or no idea exactly. So, Elizabeth, I do have to ask you one last question. Yes, what's a ridiculous takeaway here?
Speaker 1: Oh my goodness, you know, just I don't understand this immediate like leap to lying about.
Speaker 2: Stuff and so poorly bad time.
Speaker 1: Because I just I've seen this happen where it just gets worse and worse and worse, and it's always best just to like rip the band aid off, admit something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you do something stupid, just say it.
Speaker 1: I do something stupid, just say it. I did, you know, no no excuses.
Speaker 2: It works. You get like a nickname around the department.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this one was so cool. I mean, like look at look at a little dude at the tire store, right, I don't want to go into work, so instead, I mean, he probably doesn't have like sick time, right, probably can't take that time. So if he says I can't come in today, he.
Speaker 2: Can get a fire job.
Speaker 1: Well a lot worse than.
Speaker 2: That happens, and he did lose his lost your.
Speaker 1: Job plus some and then this cat like shooting himself idiotic. But what you have to do is like calmly call it in and then take your lumps.
Speaker 2: And mistakes happen mistakes happen. Why don't you start scheming now, these are not mistakes. When they are a mistake, they're just bigger.
Speaker 1: But they I bet they never thought they'd wind up on here.
Speaker 2: No exactly, So my ridiculous take away. Thank you for having me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's right, I forgot about you.
Speaker 2: I was so struck by a town deciding to allow people to start drinking in twenty thirteen. They're like, only in restaurants, not in the piggy wiggly Well.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's the thing is that, like, you know, here in California, you can buy hard liquor in the supermarket. Yeah, And but you know, like other places I've lived, places where you can't can't can't buy hard liquor in the suit they only do beer and wine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, in the store.
Speaker 1: Can't touch that stuff on Sunday. They don't even serve it in a restaurant.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Some places in the South, it's like you can't buy liquor until after it was more actually the Northeast, you can't buy liquor so after church ends. Some places in the South it's all Sunday till Monday.
Speaker 1: Well, and then where I lived in the South, you couldn't. You can only buy groceries at Walmart before like noon until church ended. Really yeah, and then then they would open up the rest of the store and they'd rope things off, and so like if I needed, like, you know, some little gasket or something for you know, the city, yeah, I like, duck under the cordon, grab it and then go through self checkout. But then I think other people were doing that. They got wise to it and they'd block it. But it's weird, that's you know, like it doesn't apply to me. I don't think the same.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, not at all. Watching football at my dad's place in Atlanta, because they don't sell beer on Sundays, I always have to remember on Saturday. If I'd like to have a drink on Sunday while I watch football, make sure to go to the store and get yourself a six pack burnette.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And do you know how many times I have not done that? Elizabeth video Atlanta. They yeah, I know, there you go crazy, So you move for a talkback. We watched this one day.
Speaker 1: I most certainly am Dave.
Speaker 2: Oh oh my god. I ll.
Speaker 4: Hey, guys, this is Daniel. I have been listening for a few months now. Working through the backlog starting from the beginning to going to present, and I just got to the episode on John Spano Junior Fill up the Tub keep for Sutherland, and I was working listening to it and literally had to stop what I was doing and download the iHeart app so I could send this talk back because Elizabeth mentioned Ducane University and I out loud said quest though right before Zarin said it. Also, thank you.
Speaker 1: I love it. We got them got you to get the iheartup.
Speaker 2: Thank you that you know.
Speaker 1: I like that. I thought it, but I get so worried because I say everything wrong.
Speaker 2: No, yeah, not everything half the things I say wrong. So you got you got company.
Speaker 1: And thank you for digging into the archives. And I hope you're enjoying totally if you're having a good one with it.
Speaker 2: As always, you can find us online if you'd like some more Ridiculous Crime on Instagram. It's where we got images from these shows. You can see what these gentlemen look like and what beautiful Pineville looks like if you'd like. Also, we have on Blue Sky. You can go down there and follow us for more, or you can email us if you'd like it. Ridiculous Crime at gmail dot com you would like to share something, try not to incriminate yourself. And we have our website Ridiculous Crime dot com. That's where you can get a merch and check out some gifts and artwork and stuff. And obviously we love your talk back, so please go to the iHeart download it, leave a talk back and maybe you get to hear your voice here and we'd love to hear it. Maybe you would too. Thank you for listening and we will catch you next crime. Ridiculous Crime is hosted by Elizabeth Dutton and Zaron Burnett, produced and edited by the general manager of the Coolidge, Arizona Radio station, the same man who eventually had to fire Whalen Jennings, mister Dave Cousten. Our ridiculous assistant is the same person who once told Nancy Sinatra her biggest hit song should have been called These Boots are made for Rockin' Terry Maldonado. Fall Research is by the right Honorable Mayor of Ridiculousville, Louisiana, Larissa Brown. Our theme song is by our house band, Oh I've Shot Myself and I Can't Get Up aka Thomas Lee and Travis Dutton. The host wardrobe provided by Botany five hundred. Producer Dave's wardrobe provided by Mister Guy of Beverly Hills, guest Hara, makeup by Sparkleshot and mister Andre. Executive producers are Ben. This is why American cops should carry Samurai saw arts and Ninja stars instead of guns, Bolin and Noel. Will you got my vote? Brown?
Speaker 1: Ridicous Crime Say it one more time Piqulious Crime.
Speaker 2: Ridiculous Crime is a production of iHeartRadio.