Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news. This is a really big deal. It was a couple of months ago I was out at one of our test ranges, and what I heard was that industry on average was having to wait between twelve and eighteen months sometimes from the moment they wanted to get on our test range until we could give them access. And fundamentally, the problem with this is if you think of these innovative companies, if you think of the primes, everyone needs to be able to test their product and they need to be able to learn from that, and the innovation loop that comes from actually using your thing in the real world is makes all the difference. And so when we slow things down in the innovation loop by twelve or eighteen months at a time, that is just bad for soldiers, it's bad for taxpayers, and it's bad for companies. And so what we're announcing today is basically a new front door to access all of the US Armies or many of the US Armies ranges were layering into international partners. We're going to give concierge access and we are going to aspire to get these companies onto our range within thirty days. Every single time.
Speaker 2: So then after they're on that range, I think a lot of these companies are probably wondering how quickly can they get into business with the US Army? If you like what you see, how do those purchases.
Speaker 1: Work from there?
Speaker 2: What sort of timeline are you eyeing for that?
Speaker 1: So under President Trump, what we've been able to do is we've been able to reallocate dollars we already had, and so we created almost a seven hundred and fifty million dollar venturelike model that has allowed us to get industry on contracts sometimes in under thirty days. That is unbelievable. I mean, I think if you looked historically, the fastest time I had heard anyone ever referenced was like nine months, but on average it could be up to two years sometimes. And so our commitment to industry is we know that they need dollars from the US Army in order to continue their innovation. We know that if we're asking them to come out and spend time with soldiers, get their products in the dirt and the mud, and to innovate, we have got to be there for them on the other side with actual hard dollars.
Speaker 2: How are current conflicts highlighting the need for initiatives like this and for the US Army to scale. Is there a new urgency here?
Speaker 1: I think if you look at what's occurring in Ukraine, they have this existential risk to their nation that allows them to innovate very quickly. You would never want to have that risk as a nation. So what we're trying to do is synthetically create the conditions for innovation that can get as close to matching that environment as possible. And so one of the things we're doing here at Camp Gradling at September is we're creating an electronic warfare in a ew environment that is as close to what Ukraine has as we can create. We're inviting in small, medium, and large businesses from across our country. We're having soldiers come down. We are trying to empower these incredible American innovators to do what they do best, which is to outinnovate the rest of the world.
Speaker 2: So the Army lives off of annual budgets, right, how do you ensure that you're able to scale and grow initiatives like this? And what is I think it's fair to say pretty unpredictable funding cycle and how much weight maybe does that put on the sixty seven billion dollar fundamental supplemental package in terms of what the Army needs to get done.
Speaker 1: So, the quirk of the design of our democratic form of government is our funding is annual. It is oftentimes continuing resolutions, which means we can't do new starts on our spending and that is full stop bad for soldiers, that is bad for our national security, and we must as a nation fix it. That being said, what we have tried to do is just accept that that has been the reality. I think eighteen of the last twenty one years we've had continuing resolutions. And so what the United States Army has been trying to do under Secretary of Hexcess leadership is innovate as fast as humanly possible with what we do have. And we feel very good that working with Congress and Senate and consolidating down some of our budget line items, we are getting more flexibility than we have had in the last couple of years, not as much as we had a couple of decades ago, and we are taking that and earning back the trust of Congress to give us even more going forward.
Speaker 2: But is that putting any more weight on the supplemental funding request the sixty seven billion dollars.
Speaker 1: I think we need the supplemental, we need the reconciliation, and we need the budget to be passed on time that will lead to the most secure country that the United States Army can possibly give it.
Speaker 2: So today is a lot about these low cost interceptors, drones, counter drones. Can you talk to me about how you assess what that mix should look like when it comes to the higher end interceptors in US stockpiles.
Speaker 1: So one of the big takeaways from Ukraine is the very first thing you must do is create a data layer. And what you want in your data layer is you want as many sensors and radars as humanly possible, and you want them to be able to fuse into tracks and so practically what that means is you want to be able to give yourself and your allies as much warning as humanly possible. And so with the United States Army has been focused on in the last couple of months is what we're calling Operation jail Break, which is basically we have said we are no longer going to allow any sensor, any rate, or any piece of equipment that we own to have data that is siloed. All of it is getting broken out, and all of it, through APIs and SDKs is going to be able to share the data and receive data or actions. That is step one. Every new thing we're buying is already open source, so we're good. So once we have this data layer, and anywhere American soldiers exist, we want that data layer to be as robust as humilily possible. The next step is to layer in effectors or interceptors, and you want as wide of a range of options as possible. On the cheapest, lowest side, you want a fifty col round that might cost a dollar, and you want to be able to shoot that at something that's really close. So on the highest end, you might want to pack three that's now four point two million dollars or four point four million dollars a shot. The key to defense, and this layered concept is you want as many options as humanly possible, all tied into an agentic solution with a human in the loop that can choose between the right option at any given moment. And so the answer is actually there's no one perfect answer. Variability is the key to success for conflict going forward.
Speaker 2: In the final minute, that I have you how much will initiatives like today compress timelines. Can you give us any context on how many years you're looking at when it comes to the army building up the stock piles.
Speaker 1: So I think if you take the math of what we believe for a lot of these most exquisite interceptors and most exquisite offensive weapons, if it was taking twelve to eighteen months each time to come to the range, and we're consolidating that down to I am saying guarantee, but I don't mean we will pay if we miss. But that is what we will hold ourselves publicly accountable. If you can get to the range every thirty days, what we hope to do is cut out at least a third of the R and D time, which will make a huge difference for soldiers.