Speaker 1: Welcome to another episode of Civic Sipher. I'm your host, Rams is Jah.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna call them q war.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna call them q war. Hey, I ain't mad at that one bit. What's going on, Q? What's going on? Rams? Everything in the world. We've got some more stuff to talk about today. Some things that have have kind of troubled us this week, I think it's safe to say that, but some some things that also feel pretty pretty good. There's a lot of optimism in today's show, which is a rarity around here. So you know, we're getting both sides, which I think is standard forward for us. So some of those things and some reasons to stick around include we're definitely gonna talk about some statistics that are often skewed and sold to moderates in America to deepen their app with the with respect to you know, black people and the plight of black and brown individuals in this country. We're gonna spend a good amount of time talking about that. But you know, it really came about as an idea when we came across a video, a TikTok video of all places from someone named cap without a Country. So again, we're gonna spend some time talking about that. We're also gonna talk about Target and how Target became cozy with the cops and what that's meant for black and brown neighborhoods, and you know, the state of the world since then. And we also have a quote from Kimberly Jones we're gonna check out as well that I think you definitely want to stick around for that. I think we're gonna have to get into the ebony excellent stuff first, So let's do that, q all, no matter what.
Speaker 2: So, we were reading about the smith Sonian and the way that they decided to frame our most celebrated art form, and I think it's safe to say now the most popular and powerful genre of music on earth, and that is hip hop. There's a lot of things that were in the piece that we shared with each other, but the thing that stood out the most to me is that the Smithsonian did not decide to take a stance of where the experts on this thing, let us present it to you. They really relied on the people who live the culture and who are a part of it to present that story to the masses. And they taken a stance similar to the way journalists were treated in the wake and even in the process of the Vietnam War, where the country felt a certain way about it, but the journalists and photographers more specifically had to go over and cover the worst parts of it and show it to the world, the truth of it, so that people could be as appalled by it if they needed to be, and bring it into what many people thought was an unjust war. They used Tupac as an example of the violence and the things that are portrayed in hip hop that people have always saw as a negative, and Tupac was saying well, he used an example of someone knocking at your door and not being able to get an answer. The longer you knocked with no answer, the harder you knock. And by sharing what our truths were with the world, Tupac specifically felt that if the world could see the worst parts of our life, the true worst parts of our life, that they would get the attention that they deserved and much liked the Vietnam War, they were being a lot of effort made to bring an end to those things. Unfortunately, the victims of these very harsh truths and hip hop looked like me and you, so it was not met with the urgency that I think he and people like Public Enemy really hoped and thought they would be. But the Smithsonian choosing to display hip hop as an art in prison, entering that to the world as a space for truth. I appreciate what I read.
Speaker 1: Man well, big shout out to the Smithsonian and doctor Dwindlen Reese and uh, I really like that. You know, there's there's a lot of pain in in the in the black story, in this in this country, there's a lot of struggle, but there's also a lot of perseverance, a lot of triumph. And you know, for that story to be not only a Black story, but an American story, and to have it be told for decades by people who have created a whole culture around this style of music, dress, talk, and so forth, I feel like that is remarkable and certainly worthy of Ebony excellence. So very glad that we could share that with you today. So moving on Cap without Country on TikTok check that out if you have TikTok. It occurred to us that we had never done a show to really meet with the opposition. If you will, what is the opposite of our show? What is the very pro white If you will, that sounds weird, but trust me, there are shows like that. You recall to us driving through I want to say it was Alabama or Mississippi. There were They're advertised as pro white radio shows, and we actually tuned in and listened to them. I'm sure there are shows out there that purport certain facts or not facts I use the term loosely, but alternative facts or statistics or whatever, and they're skewed or misrepresented in a way that tells a story to folks who really need to feel like they're victims and that black people are what's the word I'm looking for, unfairly victimizing ourselves. I suppose, you know, or playing the victim role, and we're all on welfare and we just think we deserve and we want everything free. And there's programs and there's you know, there's things on the internet, there's memes, there's you know, articles and all the sort of stuff that shared that helps sell that idea to people who really need that information. They don't need it, of course, but they really want it. They want the world to feel like everything around them is a result of other people taking things from them. And we never created an episode where we could talk about some of those statistics, because you know, if you're listening to this show, there there might be have been a time or two when you've come across some statistics that say black people statistically are this, that or the other more likely to be doing this, that or the other, and you know, your heart might go out to it, and you might think in your mind, okay, that maybe there's a reason for it, maybe there's more to it, and it's really up to us to flesh out that full dialogue. And that's what we plan on doing today. And again, it occurred to us when we were looking at this Cap Without a Country's TikTok page. So one of the myths that you know, the host of the page mentioned was the thirteen fifty myth for the my favorite. Yeah, for those that don't know, Honestly, this was new to me. I never heard of the thirteen fifty myth. I'd never heard of it. And that's I'm sure it's surprising to you, but.
Speaker 2: I think you may have heard of it, you just never heard it branded like that. Yeah, it's never it was never given a name a name. I have talked about those statistics before.
Speaker 1: Sure, sure, of course, So for those who don't know this thirteen to fifty myth is purported as fact by the other side, where the way that it's suggested is that half of the violent crime comes from thirteen percent of the population or black people, because black people make up approximately thirteen percent of the population, and so because they're saying half the violent crime in the country comes from black people, they're painting with such broad strokes there that to a person listening it creates fear of black people. It's almost like one in every two black people is going to attack you or something like that. You know, for people that don't take time to really sit with the numbers of the logic or anything like that, it sounds very scary. And to the people who really need things like this to be true so that they can continue to hold up their white supremacist views of the world or to continue to live comfortably in a world where white supremacy so ports their lifestyle or causes them to live more comfortably, these statistics are very much well received, but they're flawed. Now, I feel like you might have want to jump in there.
Speaker 2: No I do I smile when you said flawed because they're like intentionally false, right, right, like more than flawed, Like, okay, they're lies exactly almost directly lies.
Speaker 1: Well, so here's you're absolute right, one hundred percent right, because a half truth is a lie. Anything that's not the full truth is a lie. You know, it's intentionally misleading, and it misrepresents the reality of the situation. The reality of the situation really uncovers the source of a lot of problems that really are at the root of not just black people's day to day lives, but poor people's day to day lives. Right, And once you actually take all of the optics and all of the statistics and put them in the same bowl and mix it all together, what you have doesn't really support a white supremacist agenda anymore. And so this is why people are scared of the whole truth and the half truths and the misrepresentation of the reality is a little bit more comfortable for them, and I'm a little bit more palatable. So allow me to explain. So again, there's this thirteen fifty rule, we'll call it a myth on our show that says that half the violent crime comes from black people. Thirteen percent of the population, Black people commits half of the violent crime The truth of the matter is that black people account for fifty percent of arrests of violent crimes. Now, that might not change much so far, but allow me to continue again, black people account for fifty percent of arrests of violent crimes. Now, when you factor in that black people are five times more likely to be arrested, six times more likely to be convicted, fifty percent more likely to be wrongfully convicted, and sentenced to twenty percent longer convictions than white violent criminals, now you begin to see things level out a bit more. One of the things that we've talked about on this show is over policing and this TikTok page, this cap without a Country. I want to make sure I shout this out because if you're into, you know, this sort of stuff, if this kind of help empowers your narrative, then you should definitely like lock in if you're on TikTok. But one of the things that we talk about on the show is the way that black people interact with the criminal justice system with policing and so forth, and really policing in this instance, if let's say there will make an imaginary city, I'm going to explain to you how over policing works. We'll make an imaginary city, and we'll divide the city east and west, and all the black people live on the west side, and all the white people live on the east side, right, And then there's a police force, right that has to patrol this whole city. Now, if eighty percent of the police patrol the west side and twenty patrol the east side, then you would imagine that most of the arrests will be made where there are police, where most of the police are, right. And so that is a quick and dirty way of illuminating what over policing is. The reason for that is it's kind of like a self It's like a snake eating its own tail. You know. It's a vicious cycle where the fear of black people creates this demand for more police, and more police creates more arrests without actually dealing with the source of a lot of those crimes, right, And then what ends up getting married is black people in crime in people's minds as opposed to poverty and crime, which is really the source of a lot of the issues that happen in all cities around the world, but in this country it's very much a black and white problem. If you follow the money, and so instead of people dealing with economic inequalities, we deal with black people and white people, which is how this thirteen fifty statistic can come about.
Speaker 2: And it's weird, not even weird, it's cruel the way they manipulate the numbers, right, because poverty and over policing leads to more rest, right, And they use the number of rest to justify that there's more crime happening here, not that there's more time and money and resources being spent on police in this area where the people are poor and impovered. And like you said, listening to you explain that cycle, I'm so glad you put that simple, because it is that easy to understand. If you're putting more police in this area where the people are more poor, and your police have been conditioned to look at them as criminal before they even arrive, they arrest them more, thus justifying the over policing, like, hey, we're resting way more people here. We might even need to put more police.
Speaker 1: So it is really.
Speaker 2: It's an intentional cycle though, And that's the thing. And people can't see me. I'm smiling now. Sometimes I smile so I don't curse, or so I don't start pointing stuff. It's intentional. Right, Let's make sure that we have more police in this area where we think these people are, by nature of birth more likely to be criminals, and then once we arrest them more we can point to that and say, see, look what we were right, There are more criminals here. So let's spend more money on police in this area next year instead of more money on community centers and arts and programs to get kids off the street and doing something to feel the void or the vacuum that comes with growing up where we have so much less and less resources, less money, less opportunity, leads to people doing things that are not considered good just in order to survive. I don't know, man, I talk to you guys a lot, just about the things that we share and the things that we see in the group in preparation for the show, and you guys see me. I'm less encouraged by the day. It seems we really have been put in a position where succeeding and having our people as a whole move forward feels less realistic to me.
Speaker 1: Every week.
Speaker 2: It's becoming really, really, really discouraging, because once upon a time it did feel like we were making so much progress.
Speaker 1: Well, hanging there cue. I'm always trying, man, I'm trying there. I do think that we'll get there. And I think that, you know, we're all playing our part. You know, we obviously didn't just get out on the streets and protest in twenty twenty. We've made changes and we're continuing to have conversations. And you know, we have people who listen to our show every week, and you know, they write us and they follow our social media and they support our posts and our cause. And the show is growing, of course, and that's largely due to your efforts and so but there's another thing I wanted to point out, and I'm glad you mentioned it. Remember I said that if you take all the facts and you put them in the bowl together, you know, the result doesn't really support white supremacy anymore. And I think that a great point of that is and I think that this story tells itself if a person takes a step back and looks at it. So watch this. If you put more police in the neighborhood, you know the reason for doing that is to make the neighborhood safer. You know, I'm sure anyone would agree. I put more police in there to make the neighborhood safer, to prevent crime from happening, to you know whatever. And what we're seeing is that more police make more arrests. More arrests means more violent arrests means more you know, black lives lost, black bodies being harmed, and so forth. And you know, it's like to a man with a hammer, the world is a nail, right, More police doesn't mean less crime. Police can only respond to crime that has happened. This is something we talk about on the show quite a bit. That's all that they do. You know, police like in a minuscule fraction of a percentage point, actually prevent crime. The vast majority of police work is responding to a crime that's already happened. And so the real question is how do we prevent crime from happening? Because obviously, putting more police in neighborhoods doesn't fix the problems. It doesn't fix the economic inequalities, it doesn't fix the broken crime justice system that we're going to talk about a little bit more. And I feel like this thirteen fifty rule or myth again as we call it on our show. You said it best when you said it's a lie. He absolutely nailed that. You know, I'm more likely, I'm more inclined to say that it's a half truth or you know whatever, if it is that, you know, people kind of know that it's a lie, but I'll call it what it is, a half truth. But in this case, you're right, Q, it's a lie. It just sells fear. It's Fox News all day. That's all that it is. So let's move on now. In addition to the statistics I've read before, I want to just recap just so that we're all on the same page. Okay, So, so far, the thirteen to fifty myth uh purports that thirteen percent of the population quote, black people account for fifty percent of the violent crime that takes place. When the truth is, black people account for only fifty percent of the arrests of violent crimes. Black people are five times more likely to be arrested, six times more likely to be convicted, fifty percent more likely to be wrongfully convicted, and sentenced to twenty percent longer convictions than white violent criminals. Now I want to add some more to that for the same crimes, for the same crimes. Absolutely I want to add to that, fifty four percent of all violent crimes remain unsolved, including thirty eight percent of all murders, forty eight percent of all assaults, and more than sixty seven percent of all reported rapes. We've discussed that black people are overly policed. One of the things that we didn't really discuss so far we have on the show, but not so far with this is the War on drug and we don't have time to really go into detail for this segment, but we have in the past on the show, and of course we will again. But for those that don't know, the quick and dirty version of the story is that the War on drugs was really enacted to quell the hippie movement and the Black power movement in the sixties, that was the origins of it, you know, or the late sixties, early seventies, and then since nineteen sixty as a result of that, there's been a three hundred and thirty percent increase in black men imprisoned. And because of the Thirteenth Amendment, there's an economic advantage to having these bodies in prison too. You know, a lot of people just make that connection. Well, the Thirteenth Amendment meant that slavery never ended, absolutely right, one hundred percent true. But there was a long period in time in this country between slavery and the sixties when we saw these numbers start to really increase, and then the eighties, of course, when it really skyrocketed under Reaganomics. But there was a long period of time when you know, black people were you know, overly incarcerated, but not at such astronomical levels. The Thirteenth Amendment was legal all in that period of time, but it wasn't until recent times when the economics began to make sense, and then private money started moving into prisons and so forth, and so now we have so many black people and brown people and you know, melanated people in prisons, and I will say this white people as well. And prisons are big business, so it affects everybody. But obviously the blacker you are, the more the harsher it is. You know, we just kind of know that to be true, not to take anything away from anyone else, but what that's resulted in is an increase in single mother households that has increased to sixty four percent as of twenty nineteen. Sixty four percent of black households are single mother households, and you know, prior to the sixties, you know that that wasn't true. You can go back and look. You can see all of these opportunities that black people took advantage of at different points in history. You know, black people weren't always regarded as whatever we're regarded as now, you know, by the mostly right leaning conservative you know, uneducated and willfully ignorant types. But that's hard to ignore sixty four percent single mother households, and obviously the result of that is children that come from those homes are less likely to graduate high school, less likely to attend college. There's economic reasons for that, there's you know, social reasons for that. You know, there's it's it's a sad reality, and it's it's unfortunate. But you know, these statistics that you might hear that really paint black people or any people in a bad light often require more insight. They need to be illuminated a bit further. And that's not saying that black people we don't have our own path laid out in front of us, because there's lots of things that you know, we have to work on, and we do work on and we will continue to work on. But to pretend like we were just born bad and we commit fifty percent of the crimes is definitely something that is inaccurate, and if we're able to speak to it on our show, then we.
Speaker 2: Will give them the guy's name again, Rams with the TikTok page, I really want people to.
Speaker 1: Check that out. Be sure to follow Cap without a Country on TikTok and now watch go my mic back. You're like that.
Speaker 3: Strikes head, borders behind and the.
Speaker 1: So moving on. If you're just tuning in to Civic Sipher, I'm your host, Rams's job.
Speaker 2: They called me q ward and that's mostly because my mother named me Quentin.
Speaker 1: And q okay, I'll explain yes indeed, uh and stick around because we've got a lot more to talk about, including our way Black History factor checking in with DJ Squirrel in a few minutes. Also, we were going to spend some time talking about Target and a response that we never got to talk about on the show, a response from Kimberly Jones that came about sometime last year that I really feel is important to speak about and I can't wait to hear her voice again. Every time I hear it it's just so energizing, and it's time for us to talk about becoming a better ally as well. And so, without further ad you, let's get into our Bogba segments. So you're familiar with The Wonder Years, right.
Speaker 2: Cube, Yeah, I used to watch that show on television.
Speaker 1: Yeah, as did I. For folks who are too young to remember The Wonder Years, it was a show starring this guy named Fred Savage, and basically we could hear his thoughts. It was about him growing up in Middle America, and we could hear his thoughts and that was the cool thing about the show. It was just a normal show, but everything this kid thought, we could, you know, so when he had a crush on a girl, or he had got a fight at school, or his parents were talking crazy to him, you know. So the Wonder.
Speaker 2: Years show also had a fantastic theme song.
Speaker 1: Yeah I think it was what was his name? Joke? I don't want to say it wrong. I don't want to say and get it wrong. So anyway, now, if you don't, if you've never heard of The Wonder Years and haven't heard the show, the person who is wondering all these thoughts and that you know, the protagonist in the show is probably a white kid.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: This is TV in America, so naturally it's a white kid. And you wouldn't be wrong. Fred Savage is about as white as they come, and like so many other things in our country, that has just been the way the story has gone. Well, the reason we're talking about The Wonder Years today is because the show has come back. It's a new cast, of course, because those kids all grew up from the past, and now this new cast is black, right, And I love that it's happened, you know, a few different places in society. But I love it because it brings a little bit more humanity to black people, allows a little bit more you know. This show allows you to get into our heads as black men and black people in this country, and I think that this show will perhaps lean into it the same. And I think that the most important thing of all is that Fred Savage himself, the star of the original show, is the executive producer of The Wonder Years, and he is sharing his life's work with Black America and sharing his voice and his platform. And I love that, and I think that is how to become a better ally.
Speaker 2: So shout out to Fred savage man. That's it might seem small to some people, but that's a major thing for him To do very very successful show and to lend a different lens altogether to a common story shows that we have far more in common than the things that are being used to divide us. Oh and google the original theme song. You'll love it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: The original theme song is with a little Help from My Friends by Joe Cocker.
Speaker 1: Joe Cocker. I was gonna say Crocker, and I didn't want to get it wrong. Very that was the right move, got it? Okay? All right? Moving on, we got to talk about Target, but not just Target. We're gonna say, we're gonna start talking about Target now. Now you know, I could get on Walmart too. I could. As a matter of fact, why don't I just get on Walmart? We hear Walmart is wide out before it listen, as a black person with hair, I need to say to Walmart, for whatever reason, locks up all of their black hair products, or they at least they had in the past. Right, you can go into a Walmart store, walk up and down the shampoo aisles, walk up and down the you know, personal hygiene whatever it is. You know the comb aisles, and I don't know, you guys know what a Walmart is. Once you get to you know, the just for Me boxes and the you know, the black hair care products, you notice that they're under lock and key.
Speaker 2: Well, you know that's because fifty of the theft and shrinkage in all Walmarts it's black people, So by nature they have to lock up the stuff that black people. Still, I don't understand your problem.
Speaker 1: That that is horribly offensive and at the same time humor is It's like, why is everyone so scared? Right, I get it, I get it. I just data.
Speaker 2: They're just using numbers. Man, I don't know what you want to do.
Speaker 1: Sure, and I get it. I do get it. You know, everyone's a victim of a white supremacist society. But when you're in a position like that like Walmart, your job is to really challenge your prejudices. Your job is to really challenge your fears, because you also are a fok on that wheel of society, of that white supremacist society, and so no one is free from blame. But just had to throw a little jab at Walmart real quick because I got all this hair on my head. But let's get into the meat and potatoes the way we're talking about tar Ja. All right, how Target got cozy with the cops? Now, I took an article from Bloomberg Business Week, right, and this is an exerpt. So I'm going to read this just to kind of lead you into where we're going, because I really do want to hear from Kimberly Jones and I want to respond to that. But again, remember we're talking about Target here, Okay. For decades, Target fostered partnerships with law enforcement unlike those of any other US corporation. It became one of the most influential corporate donors to law enforcement agencies and police foundations, supplying money for cutting edge technology and equipment. When it developed a network of forensic labs, it made them available to police across the US. Starting in the early two thousands, Target developed a program called Safe City that poured money into police and sheriff's departments to install neighborhood surveillance systems and fund equipment. In Minneapolis, Target worked with the city Attorney's office to have petty criminals banished from the downtown business district through what are called geographic restriction orders. Eight out of ten people expelled were black or American Indian, according to an analysis of city data. In an article last summer, Aaron Azura, a professor who teaches courses on race and gender at the University of Minnesota, wrote that targets deep ties to police made the company an appropriate outlet for rage, not unlike Walmart, but way more aggressive. You know. It's like, now, I gotta be fair. Okay. Since last year, Target has distanced themselves from the police. They've stricken a lot of their safe program whatever the names of these programs were, from their websites, and done all this sorts. So I have to tell that I have to say this right. And they've hired new people and revisited what safety means and what it is they're afraid of, and where they need to create distance and why they need to create that distance. And so we do have to have an obligation to applaud anyone trying to make their wrongs right. Okay, but this is an example. There's Target is not the only company you know, or store, you know, whatever place that people frequent. And I think that by examining this we get a little bit more insight into that corporate culture that creates the dynamic that you and I and Swirl and my children will eventually experience where we go into a store and we get followed around the store. Right, those are those typically happens with smaller stores. But I happen to know that even if I go into a store now and I'm not followed around, if it's a big enough store, they have cameras and they have security people in the back. And who are those security people watching? Is it the sixty three year old Caucasian grandma doing Christmas shopping? Unlikely? Is it the forty five year old, you know, middle manager stopping into you know, Walmart or whatever department store to pick up some new trainers? Unlikely? Is it any of us? Totally? One thousand percent?
Speaker 2: Yep, ramsays, you're so kind, am I, because you always make it the old white person, this not being watched, as if just being white is not enough. Sure, but you know, I like in these stories as the counter example, you always say, is it the sixty year old white couple? Like, of course not, but they don't have to be old and white. Just white, White's fine, You're not wrong. Being white is great. Like that's that's enough, full stop. Yeah, well check this out. You know where that comes from. I'm a big fan of a person named Brian Stevenson.
Speaker 1: He's a lawyer. He's the person behind the Equal Justice initiative. Please look up Brian Stevenson. He has a TED talk that I used to listen to religiously. It's about twenty five minutes and I listened to it over and over and over again for weeks. You know. This might have been in twenty eleven or something ten years ago. And in his TED talk, he's discussing a situation where he goes before a judge and he realized is that his client that he's defending doesn't have a chance in court unless the judge treats his client fairly. Because if the judge treats his client fairly, there's really nothing to see here, right. So he realizes this, and so instead of asking the judge to throw out you know, jurors or you know, throw out evidence or whatever it is lawyers do. I don't know, he simply asked the judge to try his poor young black defendant as a sixty five year old privileged corporate executive, white corporate executive. And the shock in that request change the atmosphere in the room entirely. Now. I don't know the conclusion of that story, but I remember how vivid that became when he said that to me, And so for me, I like to use that exam when discussing you know whoever, because justice in this country is supposed to be blind, and yet it's not, because you and I both know if we saw a sixty five year old person, or if anybody saw a sixty five year old white person walking through a department store, our brains would tell us that's the person least likely to steal. You know, if we saw, why knowing, a ryder in a store and we didn't know that she was a klepto and shoplifts, you know, for sport. You know, this is an old story from the nineties and a lot of people weren't born yet. But you know, if we didn't know that, we wouldn't assume that, you know, And it took us growing up to realize that no everybody steals people that don't need to steal steal, you know, that's just kind of how some people get down and then a lot of people that are poor steal because they're poor. The rest of the people that steal, do it for sport because they're bored, because they want to feel a rush. Whatever. You know, there's there's TV episodes dedicated to this. You know, white Middle American families. You know, ladies going in the store stealing and then it gives them a rush, and then they can't wait to get home to their husbands and express that. You know.
Speaker 2: So I just I just say that because the people who have those built in biases, they're far less about how old you are and far more about you being black.
Speaker 1: Fairpoint.
Speaker 2: It's it's not typically because you're not your grandparents' age and white. It's because you're not white.
Speaker 1: Fairpoint. So now that we've discussed Target, I want to shift gears just a bit. You know, we talked about Minneapolis, we talked about Target, and of course the name George Floyd is going to live forever in this country, alongside, unfortunately, names like Emmitt Teel, names like poor baby I forget his name, It'll come to me, uh, Florida neighborhood watch, George Zimmerman killed him? Trayvon Martin, Jesus, how did I forget that one? Well just lit my mind timporarily. I would never forget it, but it will live. You know, his name will get it.
Speaker 2: You just have way too many names to inventory through when we're talking, and.
Speaker 1: In so many others. But you know, in terms of like really popular names that really kind of change the way the world worked afterwards, certainly im Mattild belongs there, Trayvon Martin, and then of course George Floyd, and you know the the innumerable other names that exist as well. But there's someone else who has something to say briefly about Target. And I want to make this connection because you know, once upon a time, before Target decided to change their corporate culture, there were a lot of people that were wondering, well, why is it that in Minneapolis people are burning the Target in their own neighborhood. Why are they looting the target? Why are they you know what, these are thugs? These are you know that sort of thing. You know, this is not how you get your point across. And I understand where that argument comes from. I don't agree with it, but I understand where that argument comes from, right, Because some people want to see protests done on their terms, right, and if they're not participating in the protester or otherwise are not affected by it. Then of course everybody gets to coach from the sidelines. But there's a woman named Kimberly Jones who has something to say, and she mentions Target by name. And I think that when you take into account this corporate culture that Target had since the early two thousands up until you know, a couple of years ago last year, you start to get a sense of exactly how connected black people felt to organizations like Target, like Walmart, the lock of the black hair care products. You know, how those corporations tend to represent the same sort of white supremacy that policing, the criminal justice system, the government represents, you know, in a lot of black and brown people's minds. This is why there's a lot of apprehension to trust in things like the vaccines and so forth and so on, because there's not a lot of trust there. And I think that this will illuminate that. I believe we do have a clip queued up.
Speaker 5: We came to do the agricultural work in the South and the textile work in the North. Now, if I right now, if I right now decided that I wanted to play Monopoly with you, and for four hundred rounds of playing monopoly. I didn't allow you to have any money. I didn't allow you to have anything on the board. I didn't allow for you to have anything. And then we played another fifty rounds of monopoly, and everything that you gained and you earned while you were playing that round of monopoly was taking from you.
Speaker 6: That was Tulsa, that was Rosewood.
Speaker 5: Those are places where we built black economic wealth, where we were self sufficient, where we owned our stores, where we owned our property, and they burned them to the ground. So that's four hundred and fifty years. So for four hundred rounds of monopoly, you don't get to play at all. Not only do you not get to play, you have to play on the behalf of the person that you're playing against. You have to play and make money and earn wealth for them, and then you have to turn it over to them. So then for fifty years, you finally get a little bit and you're allowed to play. And every time that they don't like the way that you're playing, or that you're catching up, or that you're doing something to be self sufficient, they burn your game, they burn your cards, they burn your monopoly money. And then finally at the release and the onset of that, they allow you to play, and they say, okay, now you catch up. Now this point, the only way you're gonna catch up in the game is that the person shares the wealth.
Speaker 6: Correct.
Speaker 5: But what if every time you see to share the wealth, then there's psychological warfare against you to say, oh, you're an equal opportunity higher. So if I played four hundred rounds of Monopoly with you and I had to play and give you every down that I made, and then for fifty years, every time that I played I if you didn't like what I did, you got to burn it like they did in Tulsa, and like they did in Rosewood. How can you win? How can you win? You can't win. The game is fixed. So when they say why do you burn down the community, why do you burn down your own neighborhood, it's not ours. We don't own anything. We don't own anything there is. Trevor Noah said it so beautifully last night. There's a social contract that we all have that if you steal or if I steal, then the person who is the authority comes in and they fixed the situation.
Speaker 6: But the person who fixes the situation is killing us. So the social contract is broken, and if the social contract is broken, what do I give us? It's about burning the football hall of fame, about burning target.
Speaker 5: You broke the contract when you killed us in the streets.
Speaker 1: And then give up.
Speaker 6: You broke the contract room for four hundred years, we played your game and built your wealth. You broke the contract when we built our wealth again on our own, by our bootstrap, save Tulsa, and you dropped bombs on us when we built it in Rosewood and you came in and you slaughtered us. You broke the contract. So your target, see your hall of fame. As far as I'm concerned, they could burn this gift to the ground and it still wouldn't be enough.
Speaker 5: And they are lucky that what black people are looking for is a quality and not revenge.
Speaker 1: Well, your thoughts cue hard to follow, right.
Speaker 2: The head start that we've had to spend our entire lifetime trying to compensate for. It's really insulting that so many people really want to encourage us to just get over it and actually almost say it like that out loud, you know, as if there's nothing that can be done, as if there's justification for it, as if there's been enough time in between then and now you guys are okay, right, Barack Obama one, you got Michael Jordan, you got Lebron James, you got Oprah, Like, what else do you guys want? So the frustration that you can hear audibly climbing out of her add to that that we're almost and you know, I don't know this as facts, so people please feel free to correct me. We're almost the only group in history to be disenfranchised in such a way and then told to get over it without reparation. So to have corporate industry be out front and out loud a part of trying to quench or put out the fire that burns within us, the almost rage that if people really think about, it's almost impossible to have the history that we have and to not be trying to burn the place down every day. Like the credit that we should as a people should get for that, you know what I mean, really credit to us, Kudos to us have gotten to this place where we're like, man, we just want to live. You know, that's like, that's literally, out loud.
Speaker 1: All we're asking for.
Speaker 2: We just don't want to be murdered for being us. That's all we don't march or demand reparations. We do not beg at this point to even be treated equal anymore. Our controversial war cry is black lives matter. Like wow, man, So you know, try to think about the centuries of I don't even know the right words without sounding so vulgar, right like abduction, rape, kidnap, murder, hang like these are not I'm not being hyperbolic, I'm not exaggerating like this, This is what life was like if you looked like us in this country at its foundation, while also asking us to build the place. It's tough, man, It's tough to know these things that as true and kind of be forced to accept and just you know, move on, get over it.
Speaker 1: Well, one thing that Kimberly Jones was able to illuminate is the lack of an emotional connection to Target. You know, she she mentioned Target twice in her her response there and didn't really feel like she had a lot of love for Target. And you know, any corporate enterprise likes to think that they have, you know, a good relationship with their customer base, but obviously that's not true in this case. And you know, Target is the one that created that, and Target is the one that broke the social contract. And here we are now discussing Target. But I want to maintain that Target has decided to turn over a new leaf. They've made some new hires, and they certainly appear to be trying to right the wrongs of the past. And so I just glad we got a chance to discuss that, and no more picking on people who burn a store. You know, nobody wants to burn a store. It's not fun. People do that to get attention. And you know, I think that wasn't Martin Luther King that said riot is the the voice of the unheard or something like that. You know, when people don't feel heard, then they tend to light things up a little bit more. That was kind of the gist of what was said. Don't hold me to.
Speaker 2: That quote, but don't answer the door. We're going to knock harder. Keep not answering, or we might kick it off the hinges.
Speaker 1: I'm just saying I think that was something something like what was what was being said there. So anyway, it's time for us to check in with DJ Swirl for that way Black History facts where you.
Speaker 4: At Today's way Black History of Fact comes from the Atlanta Black Star. The article reads, writing a wrong Black cemetery gravestones dumped into Potomac River sixty years ago recovered, letting families.
Speaker 1: Recover their history. Jesus Christ.
Speaker 4: Thousands of tombstones from a black graveyard established in eighteen fifty nine have been lost in the muddy riverbanks of the Potomac River after they were dumped decades ago. On Monday, August twenty third, politicians from Virginia, Maryland, and d C displayed more than fifty of the markers in a ceremony, launching a joint effort to reconsecrate the gravestones and help descendants connect with ancestors represented by the markers. About fifty five stones will be moved to a dignified resting place at National Harmony and will be part of a memorial garden. Meanwhile, the State of Virginia has contracted the nonprofit History, Arts and Science Action Network to track down descendants of people represented by the gravestones. The stones were rediscovered about four years ago when the property was purchased by Virginia State Senator Richard Stewart, who, upon exploring the newly purchased its land, discovered the stones. Some stones that are illegible because they've been worn too smooth, and those that cannot be removed from the water will become part of a memorial wall along the river bank. Virginia has approved four million dollars for the recovery of the stones in creation of a memorial in Kaldian State Park. Patricia Howard Chittams was able to touch her ancestors headstone for the first time on Monday. I don't get angry. I don't get mad, you know, because she was here. I'm the sum of her existence, which makes it even better, she said.
Speaker 1: And that's from the Atlanta Blackstar. Shout out to a black star in Atlanta. No, shout out to Atlanta one time. Man, My guy lives there.
Speaker 2: Shout out to the a yeah time.
Speaker 1: So listen. I want to start and end this by saying what I said about Target. You know, I don't think that. I think that A lot of times people think that we as black people are so stuck in the past, and I don't think that that's true. It's certainly not true in the case of me rams as the individual man, and I don't believe it to be true. For our show here, Civic Cipher We do talk about the past, of course, because it's important to talk about the It helps frame the present, and I believe it helps orient us toward a better future. But we don't want to dwell on the past. We have to acknowledge it. So I want to start end this response by saying, good, that's what you're supposed to do. You build a memorial, You honor those people who were laid to rest at in a black cemetery, because I know the story here. It was a black cemetery. The land was sold to make something in that city, and then they dug up the bodies and moved them somewhere else. They left the headstones, and then the headstones were sold to a person has like rocks that he used to like change the flow of like a river in his yard or his backyard, something like that. So all these headstones ended up getting thrown in this river to help some farmer. Right. And years later, people that had nothing to do with this say, you know what, that was wrong. We all know it was wrong. We can't undo it, but we can acknowledge it and we can do something. So let's do that, And I think that's good. We talk about becoming a better ally. That's how you become a better ally. You don't say, why are black people always stuck on the past? Those people are no, no, absolutely not. You know what, if you're not black, your history starts somewhere, and you know you can trace it all the way back to whenever your people first came here. You can you know, you know, some great person, noblemen or whatever, conqueror conquistador or whatever it does you come from. You know, there's somebody that you can look back to and say, that person's blood flows through my body. I'm made from the same same DNA as him or her. Right, you can say that. Right, Maybe your family doesn't keep good records, you know, but there's somebody, I'm sure of it. If you're black in this country, you're gonna go back to a slave. Now, we learn to be proud, but that in and of itself isn't something that anybody would want. Like I don't want to tell my sons, Okay, well baby, we came from slaves, So get out there and try to be somebody that's tough. That's that that that and I mean you had to live with that. So we have to acknowledge these in the past we have to acknowledge what it means. And unless you're black, you don't understand the weight of that. Right now, right now, I have a son he came from. My body has no idea that he is the descendant of slaves. And that's as far back as we'll be able to to trace his lineage. This is these are the people that you came from, right yeah?
Speaker 2: And I had that truth slap me in the face.
Speaker 1: I think I told you that story in Spain, right yeah.
Speaker 2: It slapped me in the face. Man, I I couldn't speak to it. You know, the very simple question of where you're from, you know, and anybody that knows me, I'm very, very proudly told him Detroit, because you know, the motor city, That's where I'm from. But as you could imagine, the story, the conversation got deeper than that, and I was the only person at a very multicultural table, dinner table in Europe that could not speak to where I was from. And it was embarrassing. And there's no there's no pride in that. And Black people in this country, different than really anywhere in the world, have had that part of our heritage and our history taken away from us. So that was difficult then that is difficult for us every day. Just thankfully in this country we don't have to have that conversation as often. But if you take the time to think about it, it hits well.
Speaker 1: Like I said at first, that is the way to deal with that. That's how you make the past better. You right the wrongs. And so I'm glad we had that way Black History fact for today. And if I'm honest, I think that is about all the time that we have for today's show. So once again, I'm your host, ramses Jah.
Speaker 2: Ramses and people of his like call me.
Speaker 4: You Ward.
Speaker 1: Yes indeed, show produced by d J Swirl. Be sure to follow all of us on social media at ramses job, at I am q Ward and at dj Swirl and follow the show please at Civic Cipher. Hit the website civic cipher dot com. You can make a donation. It really helps the show grow. You can become a Patreon, that's really how you help the show grow. And download this in any previous episode as well. And until next week, y'all peace.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah yo, we had the lads, the Fabulus ladies showing you will vomb travel. We'll speak to from sunlight to the busting on stage like the fight, showing my mic back like that,