Speaker 1: What is up? Mets fans? Welcome back to another episode of The Mets The Podcast. A nice series sweep to end the first half of the season. Couldn't have found a better way to end the first half, which has been an absolute nightmare. The Red Sox somehow did and didn't kick our teeth in at the exact same time, which is crazy. Mets stunk it up. Let's talk about it before we get going into it. Make sure you are subscribed to The Mets the Podcast if you want to see MLB draft content. That will be our next episode. We'll briefly talk about things today, but we're gonna go way more in depth on the next one, so make sure you are subscribed to us over on YouTube to see that, as well as to our audio feed on Spotify, Apple podcasts, Google podcasts wherever you get them. Drop a rating, drop a review, download and subscribe. How about that series James.
Speaker 2: Horrible Deflating Miserable Baseball Like there wasn't even a second where I was having I talked about how much fun the end of that Royal series was Drinks and a half. Not a fun series to watch. Mets in Red Sox offense that we said was going to be so good terrible once again, Absent completely disappeared this entire series.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they I mean from the start, they just kind of did absolutely nothing off of the Rip, which is a real shame because I will say, like, it's kind of crazy on that game on Friday Night to get ten hits and score two runs like it.
Speaker 2: Was eleven honestly, but yeah, something like that.
Speaker 1: It's just so many hits and everyone in the lineup, I think, except like Jorge Polanco and Alvarez basically got hits in this game and we still only score two runs. The Mets do find new ways to lose every single night. It is fascinating.
Speaker 2: It also felt like, I mean, the big story heading into this game was the fact that the Red Sox delayed leave of Chicago, did not get to City Field until five oh five on Friday, had to push the start time of the game back like forty five minutes, just so just so Sonny Gray actually warm up and pitch hot take.
Speaker 1: That's not our problem. I don't think that should be the Mets problem. I think that should be the Red Sox problem. I know that's I think it's a call it.
Speaker 2: Major League Baseball makes and that's something I'm sure that's in the all right, that's yeah, someway.
Speaker 1: But I do feel like because Noel McLay and clearly was affected by the delay of the game and not being read and we've seen this before with him somewhat there's been rain stuff, he wasn't sharp at the start of the game. I know errors were kind of the big issue here for him, especially because Wan Sodo missing that fly ball in left field was infuriating, But it is interesting in a world where like I know what the circumstances were for the Red Sox and why they showed up late, but it does end up also theoretically punishing the team that was ready to go.
Speaker 2: Yeh somewhat theoretically. I also think that McClain just wasn't sharp because there have been games like this over the last few months where, specifically in this game, something that's happened to him a bit lately. The breaking balls were just kind of absent, and I did like that he responded by buzzing more fastballs and locating those really well. So it's nice to see Nolan McLain get around get through it, like after that drop the flyball, then the two runs on the Yoshida double number double off the tarp like he shut them down after that, It's fine.
Speaker 1: It enlightened me. Could the baseballs being different have an effect on Nolan McLain's breaking balls.
Speaker 2: Because it does seem sense.
Speaker 1: It seems like as soon as those baseball started getting weird, Noel McLain's breaking balls also started not being nearly as good and.
Speaker 2: Ready for altice. Yeah, it's just kind of the way again, everyone's dealing with different balls right now as well, so I can't we can't blame it for our own hardships. But right now, based on what we've seen lately, the reporting from you know, Sarah's going on right now about the drag of the baseball, it's apparently it's apparently flying further than it did at the peak of twenty nineteen. Wow, that's crazy. And that effects batted ball quality, not so much of like the way the bum you know, grips spin and all that stuff, but it will affect that too. It's a different baseball, so I'm sure that is something, but you can't blame that. I do like that Nolan McLain after the game, like he's he's fantastic in front of the media. He's like, that's not an excuse. He's like, he's like I pitched fine, Like I could have been better, but that was his team. Game one.
Speaker 1: We lost this, I mean still struck out seven and at the end of the day one, So to making that play and left field does change a lot of things, like.
Speaker 2: The entire game inexcusable.
Speaker 1: It's one of the few times in our entire life where me, you, everyone listening to this can say I could have caught that baseball. I could have made that play, and the guy getting paid seven hundred million dollars did not.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's also there's there's so many weird instances in the middle part of this game. There were so many reviews, and there was the back to back review of this stolen based second base, which was Connor Wan, which is why is he stealing second base? And then sunk j Chen and Carson bench car best sunk Chay Chang is yeah right, He's Honestly, this Red Sox team is really annoying. And I say that in the most polite way possible, even just jump around. I don't think we have to supergo game by game that series like they're they're playing with an attitude right now that I wish this Mets team could adopt for any stretch I don't even want to say in general over the second half where one defensively, they're outrageous right now. Yes, the way this team's aligned with Durban the third, like with William Brady and Saddan in the outfield, it's like, what you It's hard to get the ball down there and there's great arms everywhere. There was that instance I don't remember if that was Friday or Saturday, where we had I think was so the one third with zero one out or oh yeah, but youing on third and we just kept hitting fly balls the guys with great arms. We couldn't run on them, couldn't send them. But the way that the game concluded on Sunday, which is past the Fraciscal indoor era, which will definitely get to because that was horrible. The Red Sox very abnormally played for one run the top of the tenth, and Gary and Ron were talking about be like, you don't see this very often, like usually the road team plays for multiple runs because you assume the first run. And Ron was like, this team feeling so good right now and they feel like to have such a mental edge. They want to put the pressure on the Mets, make sure they gets that inning with the lead and worked out perfectly for them. They like they sunned us in that inning. That was embarrassing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I know Polanco and Bishek got to taken that bat in that one, But like, yeah, when I see Terenz, Brett Bady and fucking Zach Short again, I can't even believe this guy is back on this roster. It's not really fair to him. He's stung one, but like, give me a fucking break at this point, what are we doing? Like, I felt like a lot of stuff when you but back to my point, when you see those guys at bottom of the roster, yet one run wins the game, that's obvious. Those guys aren't winning it for you. Going back to now where I want to rant, like we think we're playing for twenty twenty seven. Why are we playing Zach Short even for a second in this season? I don't get it. Yeah, you're not wrong about the useless player who has no impact on this team ever, and he should never have an impact on this team. He's been on the Mets organization twice in the David Stearns era, and it is both times made gotta be a negative impact?
Speaker 2: Is it to just preserve the Ronnie Mauricio option?
Speaker 1: Who fucking cares? We just saw that the White Sox dunked on us with the Pirates trade for the thirty fourth pick. The Pirates clearly had no interest in Ronnie Mauricio probably tells you that nobody has an interest in right now.
Speaker 2: And there were a lot of reports that the Mets were gunning for that pick, and as the Mets draft got kind of weird over the weekend, they definitely wanted more bonus money, just because it's very difficult for our situation signing guys with the qualifying offer and moving your draft slot back ten spots, like you don't have as much from not even close to the same war chess as other teams. But maybe it's just for the week and then after the trade deadline, if Ronnie's still on the roster, then you just burned the option at that point, Like it's this is the classic David Searns trying.
Speaker 1: To thread the needle.
Speaker 2: But there's just there's so many tiny, like frustrating moments, like not even all the times of Friday and Saturday where there were guys in running, guys in scoring position, and there weren't big hits, Like I got frustrated. Probably shouldn't have by the aja ewing backwards k on Saturday, as I think England was going into at the time, but I was like just stressed. I was just like Crossye trying to watch both it. Once. I was in a crowd of English people at USh Out a Dog and Bone, great English bar at their that they're in twenty fifth. They had a whole block part of the TV's outs.
Speaker 1: It looks sick.
Speaker 2: Couldn't believe how many English people showed up there and they were just like, let you bring cornerstore delly drinks, you hang out in our alleyway. But I was the only person. They're watching the Mets on my Phone's almost like is that the Mets?
Speaker 1: I was like, yeah, get out of here, like I'm actually stop bothering me. I'm a sick fuck. And even though the Mets are forty and fifty five at the time of watching this game and there's the World Cup on, yes I am watching the Mets, I was.
Speaker 2: Like, no, this guy is you'reewing. He's great there's twenty one. He's really coming to his own. He's a huge at bad for him with two outs and guys on base. They want to see what he does and he wanted his worst at bats in weeks bang backwards K, sit down, son I hate the backwards K. I hate the backwards K in that situation and challenging the last woman was very blatantly a strike this one with the first two. So I can't say didn't take the battle of the shoulder, but that was a that was a painful at bat. Even again, like Sonny Gray, he got like two swings and misses on Friday off, no sleep, and we just can't break through and get the big hit when you've hit every sing guys run on base every single ending.
Speaker 1: No, there's very few redeeming qualities in this game or in any of the games this weekend, just because I mean, you get swept is not really great. Crazy that now code I was saying, are you're back to one inning now?
Speaker 2: Yeah, but that's also like oh cool, I think but if they do it, but also does it even matter because the season's over? So like no, I think this, I think this is the best path forward for sure, Like I don't want anything.
Speaker 1: You know what he did.
Speaker 2: He took out all the other pitches, he only threw fastballs and goes for it. He went through nine pitches, so we didn't have to see that much. But he also didn't get the fastball like over ninety six really that much, so we'll still see what goes on. But I did like, again, this is the version of the one inning code that we're gonna get a chance to see now.
Speaker 1: Yes, which is probably the best version of him because the other versions really bad. I think we're past it. We don't need to see that one anymore.
Speaker 2: I guess also too, we should talk about Zach Thorton because I think that was.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, let's talk about Zach.
Speaker 2: That was the best thing that came out of this weekend for the Mess is that Zach Thorton was phenomenal. Again, he's great on Sunday back to back stars where he's completed six innings, so it starts to having two weeks apart. Don't ask David Stearns why that was, but he was awesome, Like he just kind of showed up from the get go, was throwing strikes, attacking hitters living on the edges, just color cut their color color decent, fat not afraid the challenge, guys, this is Boston line that is very challengeable. It's not like it's not further. His row looked fantastic, confident, was in now those innings quick. It was really nice to watch him work.
Speaker 1: He's thrown seven innings twice, six six innings twice. Did he not go seven in the last game?
Speaker 2: I thought that was six as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, give me a check on that real quick. Yeah, I gotta come because it will completely alter what I'm gonna say, completely, completely, all completely, completely changed the vibe of what I want to say.
Speaker 2: Zack Thornton. His last start was six All.
Speaker 1: Right, Well, Zack Thorton's thrown as many seven inning appearances as Freddy perraulta this season.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but still yeah, that's terrifying.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's bad, that's not good. But also at the same time positive spin zone. I love what I'm seeing out of Zack Thornton. I think there's no world where he shouldn't be on the major league roster for the rest of the season. Like he is proven in this short sample that we've seen that he is at least a capable starting pitcher that can go out every five days and give the Mets a theoretical chance to win a baseball game like he was awesome, two hits, two walks, Fredy per alta walk, five Like, give me Zach Thorton every five days right now. I want to see him. This is this is the playing for twenty twenty seven. These are the kind of con the concepts that I want the Mets to do moving forward instead of playing Zach short in every single game of the series.
Speaker 2: I wanna talk about Freddy in a little bit. But that's what we'll get to the negative section. We were trying off airon Mark and I to find comps for Zach Thorton because kind of odd to be a LEFTI that's like, not just like a lefty with a color, a lefty that's almost exclusively a color pitcher mixes mostly color as four seemers and sweepers. No one that kind of stuck out to me. He's he got lit up on Sunday, But I do like him. Robert Gasser, okay, because he also sits lowish nineties with a decent fastball shape, but he's he pushes his sinker way more. That's a good pitch and he has a great change up, and that's the thing that we're both lamenting that we hope Thoron can figure it out. Because if Thorton can't wind up developing a change up, he's suddenly a guy that I think that can that can be in a major league rotation. I'm not expecting to start off for Robert Gasser. Yeah, Josh Yeah, David Star, Josh Hayter, trade baby, Like Dylan Dodd. The best versions of Dylan Dodd that ever existed is like he kind of helps something you hope for there we're talking about Kyle Freeland, but just it's weird to get these lefties that focus so much on their color but don't have very wide repertoires off that pitch. It's usually like it's usually like a fun toy left he's developed. When they've hit the roadblock and can't get right, he's out for Thornton is the thing he relies on, but there's there's definitely something to work with. And also just love pitching with confidence. I think we saw him not do that in that first start two months ago against the Nationals and these last two tries. Maybe that's something with the major league coaching getting through him. They're like, hey, challenge you guys in his own It's okay.
Speaker 3: Many people have this problem. I want to eat healthy. I have the willpower, I don't have the time and the organization. I need help. What do you do?
Speaker 4: I mean, you go to Factor. I got two boys that are looking for the games, and they always come in the house, which I'm looking for food. Now they have actual healthy food that is great for them, and you know what, it's ready in the fridge for them to pop in and make it right away.
Speaker 3: And they have meals built around your goals. It could be weight loss, overall nutrition gains, more protein, fresh never frozen, over one hundred rotating weekly meals, including globally inspired flavors like Mediterranean and Asian. I get all kinds of different salads from Factor that I love, quick easy. They can be ready in two minutes. Head to Factor Meals dot com. Slash Foul fifty off and use code Foul fifty off to get fifty percent off and free daily greens per box with new subscription only while supplies last until nine twenty seven, twenty twenty six.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, at the absolute worst in an organization, that doesn't really have starting pitching right now and definitely is gonna have less as the season goes on. Probably should see what you got, was zach Thornton, Like, we have to figure out what we're looking at going into twenty twenty seven. And so far in the three three four starts, has he made four starts?
Speaker 2: Now this was a third.
Speaker 1: Okay, in three starts, we have a sub one whipping a sub three ra I know it's an incredibly small sample, but like, those are things that we need to find out more about it. Because the sample is small, you.
Speaker 2: Probably should have more than three starts in the last three.
Speaker 1: Months without a doubt, without a doubt.
Speaker 2: And that's why it was. It feels strangehows when you got sent down at the last one. I know that David Turns right now is playing the bullpen swapping everybody game, but thread the needle. Over these last two weeks, it felt like there were plenty of instances where I would have liked to have had zach Thoron on the mound. And it's different than some of these other addings.
Speaker 1: Yeah, instead of being like, hey, CODI can you throw eighty after two days of rest?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's the whole thing is so weird because the team makes me so deflated, so weird, I was, it's exhausting being a Mets fan. We were like a little bubbly on Thursday after the last podcast, and this the punch in the guts.
Speaker 1: That's and we've done this a few times the season. They start to play well, we start to believe, and then they were like, wait, hold on, we're still the twenty twenty six New York Mets.
Speaker 2: So the day of the Knicks parade, but Mark and I were actually excited and just happy in the world the Knicks. The Mets had just had a pretty good few weeks of baseball and got themselves to thirty four and forty one. Sis Golden Door was about to return. We were like, you know, we made that whole video for you. Guys. Hey, if this team gets on a run, here's how you do it. You can still claw your way back into this. Since that happened, the Mets are six and sixteen. Carls Mendez has been fired, the team has and that even comes with coming into this series winning four out of five.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was even possible.
Speaker 2: So there was a stretch over that period of themester two and twelve, right after we made that video, Oh two weeks.
Speaker 1: We have to stop making videos. I think.
Speaker 2: I don't think that could happen contractually, but we just maybe have to be stopping so defiant about the way that we're saying these things, because it's the second there's even a glimmer of hope with this team. You have a series like this against the Red Sox where you're miserable. I tried to get up early on Sunday and get my article done. I was likeking for nbc'd be like, you know, I do. I kind of wanted to go to this game. It was a gorgeous day. I have a pretty free day. Got the All Star break this week because so much need rest and relaxation, and I was like, I'm not gonna get done time. I don't want to get in the G train right now. So I was watching that ninth inning, I was like, that got him not in the ballpark right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Devin Williams sucks, dude, I know.
Speaker 4: I like.
Speaker 2: I honestly like.
Speaker 1: I yeah, yes and no, yes and no, because here's the here's the where he sucks, and here's where he doesn't Francisco Lindoor makes a routine play, turns the double play games over. We don't have to talk about it. Where he does suck though, is that still walk? Two guys still gave up two hits Like any sort of adversity that comes towards this team, they have zero ability to adjust and get through it.
Speaker 2: And this was the huge critique that people in the Yankee world had about Devin Williams last year. They were like, the stuff is still like the people who were fair about it, Yes, the stuff is still great. He's going to get the strikecasts, the swings and misses, and you felt it for some of those outings right when you got taken out of the closer role last like like it was like June ish I remember there was one in s Houston especially, things just kind of fell apart around him, similar to this one where it's bad bad the ball, luck, bad defense, but you just can't get over a mental hump. And this is to me, this is still more on Francisco Lindoor than Devin Williams by a lot. Sure, sure, but there was the game it was first and second one out when that after that happened, Yeah, and the game should be over you still have and then who was coming up? I wanted to get the game, like to specifically remember.
Speaker 1: Again, don't even tell me please, Yeah, the Murderer's row of Red Sox.
Speaker 2: They came to the play against Devin Williams as he blew that save. Uh it was da da da here comes Yeah, so the error was from Rome. He's bad. Sorry, So honestly, these weren't the heavy hitters. It was Caleb Durban, Andrew Monasterio, Jesis, Aaron Durant, and Yoshida.
Speaker 1: None of those guys have an opia. Well, Yoshida does, but none of those guys before Yoshida Pinch had had an OPS above seven hundred.
Speaker 2: Durban's also like, he's a no walk guy, isn't he?
Speaker 1: I don't no, he can't be. He has a near he has a six eighty six OPS, no home runs and two twenty eight average.
Speaker 2: He's got a walk He's well under He's just under seven percent walk rate.
Speaker 4: WHOA.
Speaker 2: I think Monasteria is also a bit of a no.
Speaker 1: Monasterio, by the way, wakes up when the Mets play him. He's like, oh the New York Mets. Fuck yeah, I'm ready to play ball.
Speaker 2: And Monasterio is a five percent walk guy, So two guys with some of the lowest walk rates in the entire league. Devin Williams did find a way to walk them after that Versisdor error.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but that Lindor era was deplorable. That can't har that's it. That's an unacceptable error. And you saw him talk about after the game. But it's a similar kind of conversation that I think I had about Luke Weaver earlier in the year, where he was like doing his pumpin his CHESSI we're not scared of anybody. Okay, prove it, do it. Stop talking. He han't given oh one hundred percent. This is not anti Luke Weaver. I'm just saying it's the same kind of like conversation. Lindor has made these mistakes before, and we hear him be like it's unacceptable. Okay, then stop it. Don't do it anymore. They can't happen. That's it.
Speaker 2: It does suck that this series was bookended by bad errors from the two stars, because, as we keep saying about this season, building for twenty twenty seven, building good habits, setting good example for these young players that are going to be the pillars of the next generation of the Mets, and it's like you lost two games because your two best players made two gimmes likes miss toomis where.
Speaker 1: It's like, you can't, you just can't be doing that, and this is kind of plays were like unfathomably easy.
Speaker 2: It's also really extra disappointing because it's fel lick. Lindor got off the shy today with the bat, Yeah, to double the first inning where it would be very deflating not to score with a guy and third nobody out. Then he hit the home run, he stung another one. You're like, nice, finally turning the corner here. And you've also kind of felt these mental lapses with him with other points this year before the injury, there was a lot of defensive miscues.
Speaker 1: And I mean I've texted I was texting you with a buddy about how like it feels like, more so than ever defensively, the mental lapses with Lindor are there more than ever. And again I don't I don't think it's a skill issue. I think people are gonna say just getting older, it's this and that It's like, these aren't skill issue plays, these are mental mistakes.
Speaker 2: No big time mental mistakes, and those are the ones you've never seen him really make. And it's odd and it's also kind of worrisome. I keep going back to what I say in this podcast a lot about last year, the weird no captain comment from Steve Cohen after the video got leaked, and it wasn't that it didn't happen, like I do wonder where, Like I don't think. I'm not saying he doesn't want to be a measure, just like I just it doesn't seem like he's had the same tenasty and I understand that the way this team has played since then, it's hard to have to natality because we've been dogshit basically the entire time. We haven't had a moment where his team is playing good baseball in a calendar year.
Speaker 1: The fan base is also completely turned on him too, so that's probably not great either.
Speaker 2: And like I know that, I know that Katia has turned off her Instagram comments, and that's probably a good idea because of the ruthless people that go in there. It's horrible, but she just he just doesn't feel and I don't even again, I don't think it's physical, like he plays good not at all. It's just a play like that for Francisco Lindor to let that clank off his glove, like he's one of the best defensive players his generations.
Speaker 1: Just the way we flailed after it was like crazy, Like he like flailed after it as if like that was like the game winning run in the biggest game of his life. And it's like, I feel like we're just not really and maybe this is something that the Bets I've had a problem with for a year and a half now, but like not fully locked in. And Andy Green even talked about it before or after the game, I don't remember the timing. He said, like, we have put ourselves in positions to win baseball games the entire season. The problem is that we do not execute. And I don't know how the Mets get better at execution right now. That's this is a weird, I think answer that nobody seems to have.
Speaker 2: But what's executions from a professional baseball team?
Speaker 1: Like all these guys are capable, that they don't play fundamental baseball, that's for.
Speaker 2: Sure, That's what I'm saying. When you've climbed the mountain, that's that's the mental side of it. That you're not mentally locked in, and that does come back to things like leadership and chemistry, and that's something that does seem like, after all this time, this Mets team still has not acquired it felt sometimes it feels like they're better at it now, but just doesn't feel like you can ever really put one foot in front of the other and make good baseball happen day after day.
Speaker 1: Step walking and chewing gum is hard for this team.
Speaker 2: And again that's why so disheartening that in a series like this where you had three winnable games, extreme shocking winnable games like if you win to and the other team didn't sleep before the series started, they made them all extra winnable, like again Saturday, Maybe not because you really didn't hit at all against the ball, play a game which was sucked, but like you have your two theoretical best pitchers on the mound the first two games of the series, not win one of those, and then you waste a seven inning GM from a rookie, you blow his first major league win, and the whole thing is book ended by your two stars missing two absolute easy like ninety nine percent plays Like it's just it's just gross. Every day.
Speaker 1: No, it stinks. I mean, but that's also what we've seen from this twenty twenty six Mets team when it was it. When it spells like shit, it probably is shit. Like that's just kind of how this team.
Speaker 2: Is blatantly happy that we're fully on board bad baseball team, terrible baseball.
Speaker 1: So you guys in the comment section yelling at us about whatever it is we're listening to us. Listen to me right now. This team is bad. We don't care about twenty twenty six. It's over.
Speaker 2: You should stop caring too. Yeah, I mean again, you can still care about. And Ronnie and Gary were a little tongue in cheek about it today, being like, you know, it's my sentiment in this game that if you're still mathematically in play, you're still you're still I still gotta play hard every single day. Yeah, and then they would making they got there being so tongue cheek about coming out of the brick. They were like, you guys can be back with us Thursday. We're not back until Saturday, thankfully, because ESPN wanted the showcase game and you got the Mets and Phillies shah why the and also standalone game with the sucks that we don't.
Speaker 1: Get the actual full All Star break. We get to come back a day earlier than everyone else.
Speaker 2: We've barely been having All Stars. Did we forget as of the team, No clue.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know either, no idea.
Speaker 2: We have to do it for the wide US. We get quiz me on the All Star teams because I don't don't. I don't know.
Speaker 1: That would be so fun.
Speaker 2: I really do not know. But this whole thing is just again, what a perfect way to close this miserable, horrific first half.
Speaker 1: And we will talk about the MLB Draft more. We're gonna have an entire episode dedicated to that later this week, so make sure you get you are subscribed to Mets Up you don't miss out on that. A couple quick media marvels, Can I give you one?
Speaker 2: Yeah, give me some.
Speaker 1: I mean Dow who should not be named on the podcast. You know who he is. He works for another big media company in the theoretical sports world, and he's a big Mets fan, so you can, you know, connect the dots there? Just like shitting on every single draft pick that the Mets make. It's just like, who is this for? Are the people that eating it, like like laughing out loud, like throwing popcorn at their face and spilling all over themselves. Like who is who is this content for? In one? Why? Why is anyone giving it the time of day?
Speaker 2: Well, I think it's the kind of thing that happens some of our videos sometimes that we know this where I'm sure if you guys are in there, sound off in the comments.
Speaker 1: Sound off in the comments.
Speaker 2: Sound off in the comments. People who don't like the Mets are watching this Mets content to watch. People like us squaremen and like be like, this team sucks. I think people like to hate the Mets, and I think it's gotten a lot worse than Steve Cohen era because we annointed something that shouldn't have been anointed, which is this team going to the next level, and we spent a fuck ton of money. We suck ass. So I do think there's mostly people who are not messing haters. I think it's casual sports fans. It's really easy to hate the Mets.
Speaker 1: I bump into too many casual Mets fans who talk about this person to me, and I'm.
Speaker 2: Like, no, hundred percent. I also think that that person has become like a symbol for Mets fans, which is a real shame one hundred percent, But that's also the symbols we can have. Yeah, but that's why the miserable, horrible CEO of that company hires a guy like that. Extra nost is.
Speaker 1: A perfect character to take advanced like that.
Speaker 2: One hundred percent, Zach, what's whole thing has been the entire time, which is really shitting and annoying. But that's kind of what that is, and it sucks, but that's that's the reality. Brett Baty had a good game.
Speaker 4: He did.
Speaker 2: He had a great game one the other two not so much. But he's gonna he's gonna trick as ALLID, not trick us ALLID trick us specifically you and I had to buying back in.
Speaker 1: I mean, I'm not buying back into Brett Baty. I'm just I don't hate him like everyone else. I think that's kind of what my stance is gonna be on the guy forever. I'm not gonna hate Brett Baty. You're never gonna get me to no.
Speaker 2: Also, it's kind of interesting this weekend how you took a red hot Bobachette out of the lineup and the entire offense fell apart.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and what like it seemed like it was a thread to needle moment for the I l again.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it seemed like they said he had general soreness, they wanted to give him a full week off, and then we just got a lot of Zach Short baty at third. That's kind of how this weekend went.
Speaker 1: If I see Zach Short play out of the also break, I'm gonna lose my fucking mind.
Speaker 2: I have really bad news for you. But at the same time, like it's what happened the first two months of the season with his lineup was terrible. Couldn't get out of their own way. Bobaschet, couldn't hit. He gets red hot for six weeks, we've become a better than average league offense, a better than league average offense over the last six weeks. Pitch and then all of a sudden, Bobuship misses these three games, and in three games the Mets scored four runs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's just I mean, they're a mess. We know this is a twenty twenty six New York Mets.
Speaker 2: He's just gotta observe anything on this And that's that's kind of all I have for this. I mean, do you want do you want to just briefly give to give our takes like the first few picks.
Speaker 1: Sure, brief take, just because like Carson Wiggins and Aiden Robbins, I have opinions on without doing deeper research than I already have. Carson Wiggins. For those who at home, people are upset about the pick because he's only thrown fourteen innings in college and he's coming off of Tommy John surgery, hasn't pitched very much. Hate to break it to you, Noel McClain through thirty innings in college, Spencer Schwambach through fifty, Like, it doesn't fucking matter how many innings you threw in college. We were looking at stuff here and in terms of stuff, as all the publications who are covering these prospects talk about, it's the number two starter ceiling right now in Carson Wing. It's in a big reasons. He throws one hundred and two miles an hour, he has breaking balls, he has stuff. It's just now about getting him healthy and back to actually pitching. That is the biggest problem with him right now.
Speaker 2: And he said he is healthy now coming off the season because he just got surched he should be. I think some of the fair critiques of that pick were that the Mets probably had to go far overslaugh just in terms of where they drafted him to sign him. But I also think the Mets have to play a slightly different draft game than most other teams because our pool is so much smaller because again the penalty for the contacts for back ten picks, we lost compicks from them for qualissigned guy's qualifying offers. Like it's just kind of the fact of the matter with the way that this team is run, which sucked. Maybe something address in the future, but for this draft specifically, that was reality.
Speaker 1: The Mets had one pick with an approximate pick value over nine hundred thousand dollars. That was the first round pick that was twenty seventh overall and dropped because of all the money that we spent. The next pick that we made was at ninety two, and I do think part of the reason why they took Carson Wiggins there was because they were like, I don't know if we're gonna be able to get him at ninety two, and that's one of our guys that's on the top of our board. At ninety two. They got someone that a lot of people wanted for the Mets to get in the first round, Aid Robbins, outfielder out of Texas, who kind of fell into their laps, which was a really nice surprise on us.
Speaker 2: Definitely was and I think that is where a bunch of the Mets bonus pull money went to because again, big draft video coming in a few days, they didn't really take any swings on prep guys or anything like that. It seems like their big swing was getting a college outfielder in the third round who dropped a lot. And I don't I don't know enough about the mbly draft, like if a guy like Aiden Robbins, who has who's theoretically labeled as first round talent, which we'll get into more, drops two rounds, why does he still get the big signing bonus.
Speaker 1: Because the other teams are trying to evaluate where their money should go, and it's like one of those weird things where there's like a a I don't want to say, like an agreement by everybody, but it's like, if you're gonna take him here, you're gonna have to pay him a little bit more than what the actual pick is.
Speaker 2: Worth based on what it feels like is that he's still going to get almost what a fringe first second round, like a top thirty five pick would have gotten. His bonus.
Speaker 1: I will also see because like I do, feel like a lot of times, like the speculation on what money ends up going out like during these times it's just incorrect, and it's one of those things where it's.
Speaker 2: I got on he's an authority today, that's likely what.
Speaker 1: Oh, okay, all right, then I'll trust you on that one. It'll at least the overslot for a pick in the nineties. Now we will say the slot is eight fifty nine, eight hundred and fifty nine thousand dollars. So if he gets like one point five, that's still that's still two million under where he would have been in the first round.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, again we don't These numbers don't come out for a while. And that's why the MB draft, for me, he gets frustrating because it's not like the other drafts where it's I want the good player. The whole thing is these back room negotiations.
Speaker 1: I don't even think the although this year, more so than the previous years, more first round went very much more straight up than trying to finagle the money stuff.
Speaker 2: I think I saw that Jim callis nailed, like twelve or thirteen picks.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think Katy say Andel was really good too. Like the craziest thing was in the first round, Zion Rose got taken at six by the Royals, which was kind of like a whoe. Didn't see that coming. But everything he seems to do that, every draft and everything, it never works out. No, Frank Mazacato didn't work out like Zion Rose. Good for him, very happy for him. But that was because they had two first round picks and then their second one. Shout Lance Prostowski, friend of the pod, You guy should check out his content. They got his number three college pitcher out of the draft, who's probably gonna get a little bit of that extra money.
Speaker 5: This episode is brought to you by FanDuel Baseball Fans. The MLB season is in full swing and FanDuel is giving you a chance to call your shot with daily dingers. Joining the action is easy. Just make your free pick on who's hitting a home run in their game, and if you're right, you'll get a profit boost to use on your next bet for a chance at extra winnings. It's just another reason why FanDuel is the home of home runs.
Speaker 1: So are you ready to.
Speaker 5: Play your game? Head over to FanDuel dot com slash podcast to get started. That's FanDuel dot com slash podcast. To opt in for daily dingers, make your free pick on who's hitting a homer playball swing for the fences on FanDuel, an official partner of Major League Baseball. No purchase necessary, opt in required. Bonus issued as non withdrawable profit boost tokens. Restrictions apply, including any token expiration and max wade them out. See terms at sportsbook dot fandel dot com. Gambling problem caller tax one eight hundred gambler.
Speaker 2: Maybe we could reach had to lance to do like a pitching prospect stuff. Dad, I'd like to do that at some point. Yeah, which I like to lance on again, But that's kind of where again we're gonna dive deeper. Those are two guys that we have some takes on because I think Robins felt because he to me, he just looks he profiles a fourth outfielder like you was a guy that went from small school to big school, had a productive season, but didn't really have the best under the hood stuff as a righty bad who probably doesn't stick in center field.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's not the best profile. But I will say, like, I think something that we are adjusting to more so now with prospects is kind of taking at heart, like what they do, especially in a big conference like the SEC, like twenty four homers near like four p thirty four to twenty six OBP and a eleven hundred ops. It's at least worth a look of like, can you continue to just keep hitting at every single level that you get to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's fair, and this this system probby does need some college pieces. But I also think this Mets draft was a bit of a response. Oh and last year's draft was a little younger. Yes, and I do think that last year's draft one year out takes a long time to value with these draft classes. But some of the Mets risks so far, you haven't been able to read many rewards from no. So maybe this was no overtrection to try and go a little relatively safer. But that not Wigans is not safe in any way, shape or for him. Don't know, it's weird. I'm very curious how this shakes out. I'm excited to do some research this week, can get a good draft response for you, guys.
Speaker 1: Tell you what. I love everybody else in our division's first round pick. Love it so not? Oh man, I love the Brave's first round pick.
Speaker 2: I'm obsessed.
Speaker 1: And I love the Phillies first round pick.
Speaker 2: All those smart draft people I follow say the Braves had a great draft.
Speaker 1: Aj Grossia is gonna be a real pain in our ass. For years and years I thought it was Garcia Grossia, Grossia.
Speaker 2: Okay, the r comes before the a shocking all right, Yeah, I'm gonna I'm again excited to get through this draft content. This is something I'm very openly. It's a blind spot for me in the baseball calendar. Usually could you didn't do as much draft content this year.
Speaker 1: The draft class was shit. It was very top heavy.
Speaker 2: Is gonna run the problems with an important birthday possibly for years to come. It's very single.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, that one's and I have one right around the World Series, which is fun, all star breaking and the draft really have become a lot more complicated for me.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So a company to reach out to me to do draft content this year, and I had to be honest with them. I was like, guys, I don't know that much about the Draft. I was like, I'd love to do this, but I don't think I can.
Speaker 1: That's super funny.
Speaker 2: It's gon take it's gona taven me so much research. When I do the hours of research, it's just not gonna be worth It's not gonna be worth your offer you gave to me. I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: I love the Draft, but yeah, this year was a it was kind of okay.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just but anyway, big Draft episode coming late this week, probably tomorrow the next day.
Speaker 1: It's all we got for you, guys. Thank you for listening, thanks for watching.
Speaker 2: Make sure it's got Frankie.
Speaker 1: Oh we got Frankie.
Speaker 2: Probably you think so, oh so Frankie. Frankie Frankie.
Speaker 1: Here he go, Nice Frankie. Frankie Peppers, Frankie PEPs after a horrible sweep, tell me this is.
Speaker 4: Frankie peppis hay though, what was your favorite part of today's game where my woman commercials, especially the Labors locals seven thirty one to like that level lot cong be.
Speaker 1: Reported about that.
Speaker 2: Gentlemen, thank you dude the Labour's local seven thirty one commercial. If you're not from New York, and you were ever to hear that, you'd be like, what country is that from? It feels like it's like, Mike shit, Mike frances To doing an ad read for a local for for a labor union. Is that's what this entire city is all about. I hope, I hope that never goes to.
Speaker 1: Like, the money's got to be better spent by the unions than to pay someone to advertise them.
Speaker 2: Fuck no, Mike Francessa, that's the sports pope.
Speaker 1: That is the sports pope. And he did say Francisco Lindoor is going to be traded.
Speaker 2: I think maybe should have called him sports pope on this program. But my favorite part of the day, I think today was also a commercials It was Gary, Gary and Rod did some good riffing.
Speaker 1: My favorite part of the day was that I got to watch the Mets lose, but I was on a boat on the East River, so it was it was as out. Yeah, it was electric, great day to be on a boat. Good birthday, weekend. Shout out everybody, Shout out you guys. Subscribed to Mets Up, listen to us Apple podcast, Spotify. You can follow James on social media at James Shadow I'm Draftnick Park. We'll catch you guys on the next one.
Speaker 2: He's out, peas out guys.
Speaker 1: Let's go all mate,