Speaker 1: Is the Dallascowboys dot Com Draft Show, your war room for insider news and draft analysis from deep within the confines of Cowboys headquarters at the Star Infrasco. And now your host, Kyle Yeomans.
Speaker 2: Today is Thursday, February thirteenth, and we are officially seventy days away from the NFL Draft in Green Bay, Wisconsin. Welcome into the Draft Show presented by Miller Light, the only beer the Dallas Cowboys. It's Miller time and it's getting close to draft time. We've got Tommy yarsh Brian brought us Vuch Lombardy with Jasmine Marshall running everything in the back of Kyle Yeomans. Glad you're with the Shoutout Jazz. Going to do a great job of putting up all of the graphics and all the different things along the way, filling in for Beemer to day. It's an interesting time now, Brian, we've talked about the coaching staff and the waiting moments we haven't necessarily addressed now that the staff has been placed across the board, sure, so I kind of want to hit that early and talk about what type of impact will this group have on the NFL Draft if any. Maybe it doesn't change a whole lot because of the system and the accumulative staff that Will McLay has put together over time. But what type of moment are we in with a coaching change. And then, of course seventy eight and seventy guys, which you got to think about with when you have a new staff, is you're in a situation where the new staff is trying to get to know you, and you're trying to get to know the staff the new staff.
Speaker 3: So I remember with Bill Parcells when he came in, it was about more about, Hey, I'm going to let you guys run the draft because I'm trying to learn you. Here are the type of players I like. These are the guys that I want to work with. Uh, you know the you know, you kind of get an idea of like how they want to the type of player that they want, and talk to some people in the organization. They're right now, you know, they were waiting on that staff to come together, and now they have an idea of who they've got, and now these coaches can tell them, hey, this is a type of offensive lineman I want. This is a type of defensive tackle. These are the traits I need in my cornerback here. So I think that everybody has to be, you know, on point with that. But the coaches would be really, really, really smart if they just allow these scouts to put.
Speaker 2: This board together.
Speaker 3: And it's going to have to come from the top with Brian Schottenheimer. He's going to have to say, all right, guys, coaches, these guys are going to run it this first year. The second year, we'll make some adjustments from there. But they're clearly now with the staff whole, they're able to situate and figure out the type of player that they need.
Speaker 2: And we've talked about it before on the show, and you've you've mentioned how coaches here do have a say, and they certainly have throughout the time here. And Will McClay and his staff does a great job of compiling the boards and putting the prospects on there to have the conversation in the first place. But Mike McCarthy, Dan Quinn, even Mike Zimmer last year, I mean, guys have been known to have their input. Kellen Moore when he was here on the draft board. How much do you feel like seeing this staff come together with ebra Flus on the defensive side, a veteran defensive coordinator who's run some drafts in his own right. You've got Clayton Adams, a first time offensive coordinator, with a first time head coach, Nick Sorenson special teams coordinator with some defensive background. With the coordinators put together, how much influence do you think they'll have.
Speaker 3: I think they'll have some. And the Joneses always allow with the head coach really has the most. But the one thing that Will McClay will do is that he will get the opinion of the coaches who get the opinions.
Speaker 2: Of the scouts.
Speaker 3: See, Will doesn't understand which one of these coaches can really evaluate and see you have to be really really careful with that if you put too much stock into what a coach says. You know, if this coach is one of those guys that's actually going to go and do the work, or is he a guy that's going to get on the phone and talk to his buddies. Is he going to go to workouts and is he going to talk to his buddies. Is he going to get influenced that way? You have some coaches on the staff that have not been in the National Football league.
Speaker 2: You have some collegiate coaches, so it is.
Speaker 3: Going to be very very new and eye opening to them as well for how will manages them and how they come to the decisions of their players.
Speaker 2: How much have you kind of seen that in your own study so far of what this coaching staff's put together.
Speaker 4: Well, I think when you look at the staff, especially on the offensive side of the ball, the identity is very clear. They want to run the football and that's where they're going to start everything offensively is establishing the run games that I can open up the passing game.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 4: But when we talked to Dak Prescott the other day, he was telling us that, you know, hey, when we get to run on the ball, being a little bit more consistent. I've always enjoyed play action and that's where he's been When Dak Prescott is at his best, it's when they're running play action. When you look at his career, completed sixty seven percent of his play action passes and twenty four yards fifty five touchdowns just thirteen interceptions. So being able to get a guy in the I think in the first three or so rounds to be a play action back for you, you can take the ball, he can, you can work off of him in the play action game, I think is going to be what's best for this offense. I think that's what the Cowboys are tipping their hand to now. On the defensive side, with Matt Eberflus, it's going to be his zone coverage team. Typically, the linebackers and his system are very well and when you got a guy like Michael Parsons, they're going to get after the quarterback. So it's stuff that all marries very well together. But I think that defensive backfield in the secondary is going to be something to watch in terms of what they go after in this draft, just because there are certainly some guys in this class that can fit in an eber flu system very well.
Speaker 2: How do you feel about that as it all fits together?
Speaker 5: Man, Kyla won't lie to you, Bro, I don't know nothing about these coaches. I don't know a thing about them. I never heard them.
Speaker 2: I don't Well, then what would you want to see if you don't know anything about it?
Speaker 5: What would you want to see? Just just draft wise? Right, I'm just watching players players, But just to add to what we're saying right now, right, if there's anything that I noticed about the Cowboys when they get new coaches and they go and get they go and get these new you know players, whether it be drafted and all this free agents. Do you do you feel like they lean towards the defensive coaches more like when when when Nolan first got here, right, I was like, man, we've signed a lot of defensive guys. We've drafted a lot of defensive guys. Saying for Quinn, right, I was like, damn, well, Quinn must be the head coach. We've signed and drafted everybody for Quinn and you know, offense, get a handful of guys here and there. So let me add that to the come right, because I ain't got nothing else. Because do you think that we're gonna go like in that way, like like maybe we'll get the running back, maybe we'll you know, go wide receiver, but everything else is probably gonna be defense.
Speaker 3: I think it's gonna be I think it's gonna be Will running this draft. I think it's gonna be Will putting this thing together. I think that I think that Brian Schottenheimer's gonna do it in that way for him. I think that it's gonna be really important for these coaches to understand how does this work with the Dallas Cowboys. Don't get in the way of that. This team has done a nice job of drafting over the years, and a lot of it has to do with Will McLay and the way that he sets the board. So I would be if I was a coach on the staff, a new coach, I would keep my mouth shut when they asked me my opinion. I would give my opinion, but I would do my work. I would do my homework and make sure that when they do ask me a question, I'm prepared. But I would if I was a coach on the staff, I would learn as much as I could right now about how things work, because it is different from anywhere else that these Some of these coaches have been in recruiting meetings and things like that, so they understand how personnel has talked about. But this is a whole different ball of wax for some of these guys. And I think it's going to be from up top with Brian Schottenheimer. He's going to have to set the tone for his coaches and say, listen, hey, I've been with these guys, let's trust these scouts. And then they will find a way to pick up some players.
Speaker 2: I love the way you outline that because it's a chance for all of this to mesh together, and that chance starts right now. You don't have to wait until the you don't have to wait until Proda's for all of that to kind of piece together. So this is a really crucial time for this coaching staff. Now when you take the elements of the zone defense, let's start on that side of the ball. Take the elements of the zone defense that you're talking about, and what type of system Matt Eberfluss is going to bring to the table, and you marry that with this draft board of prospects that we have in front. I'm looking at cornerback as a spot that might be a little bit more of a need than we anticipated early because of the health of Trayvon Diggs is a question mark saw last year the revolving door at cornerback, and the one steady hand is Jordan Lewis. Well, guess what, He's an unrestricted free agent. You may not have jaylu going in the next year, and you've invested in that position recently. But out of this this draft class, where would you feel comfortable taking a cornerback, especially if it's one of those top three picks.
Speaker 5: Top three picks, first round picks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, first three, m twelve, Otch go ahead.
Speaker 5: Twelfth overall and tem twelfth, Tommy Yards, John a Beahers you take that. Got but but but I actually think, though, Kyle, you don't have to go rounds one, two and three with this. Now. You know, we don't have a four, and that sucks every time we have.
Speaker 2: It hurts every single time. But you know, me and got Jonathan Mingo.
Speaker 5: But me and you know Brian are just watching film and we watched Kansas yesterday, right, Kansas defense, and we're watching two Kansas corners that play a ton of zone over there, Mellow and Kobe Kobe Bryant. They're not basketball players, but Meloson and Kobe Bryant and both those guys they play heavy zone and their ball hawk kind of guys. Right, So if you're looking for corner I don't even think you have to, you know, Ben to go first or second round. You can wait till round five to you know, most most most likely good guy Alexander from l Brians. I know they get whooped all the time, but they play a lot of zone. There's a lot of linked over there. He can run around a little bit. There's there's options.
Speaker 2: He's there after the fifth or fourth.
Speaker 5: The more corners you watch, the more guys just kind of bumped down the listle little bit. I got a tunnel ones, twos and threes. I'm like, damn, where did you have Alexander? I had him at three, but now I got him late four.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think that if you look at the two Kansas kids, I think that they're right there with each other Jobson and also too with Bryant, and I think Alexander's right in that mix as well.
Speaker 2: I have Kobe and Mellow touching tags at sixteen and seventeen overall CB sixteen and seventeen, and then I'm looking at Alexander. I must be higher on Alexander than you guys are. Have him as a late second. I don't know. I like the length. I like the ability to let me pull up the scouting report. We talked to it a little bit last time. He has a mean streak to him, controlled the boundary fluid hips. Great length frame would fit well in every scheme, is what I put. I think he would play better in zone than he wouldn't man, and I like the link that he could play a press man at the line of scrimmage too. So he lacks ketchup speed. That's the real problem, is true. Not a flyer.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's going to be a couple of cornerbacks in this draft that are not going to run very well, and all of a sudden, you're gonna go Okay.
Speaker 2: I think he hits well. I think he's.
Speaker 3: Somewhere around around the fourth round myself. Yeah, I mean, because what about forty times?
Speaker 2: Oh forty time?
Speaker 3: I'm sorry, I I think he's going to be in the in the mid four five. If if I was Alexander, I wouldn't run at the combine. I would just wait till the pro day. And traditionally Loshu's pro day is later than everyone else's. It's actually closer to like the first of April, so they they give their guys an opportunity to be able to get ready to run. And so if I was Alexander, I I would not I do all the drills and stuff like that, but I would not venture to try and run run downhill.
Speaker 4: I think an interesting case study in this in this corner class that at least that I've seen. I don't know about you guys in terms of where he is is jan Yay. Thomas's brother is Mariah Thomas from Florida State, sixt two hundred ninety eight pounds. Where do you guys stand on him?
Speaker 2: Second round? I have a third, yeah, a third two? Yeah, I have a third two.
Speaker 4: I thought he was he was okay at the Senior Bowl. I wasn't wowed Kyle. I was affecting him to take a lead. Yeah, I was all affecting a little bit better. Maybe it was just some of you know, some of these guys when you go to the Senior Bowl in the Shrine Bowl, it's not their setting, right, and they do better outside of those kinds of settings, and they play better at eleven on them in which.
Speaker 5: Football film is much much better fit exactly well.
Speaker 2: And that's that's kind of the case for a lot of guys. And I've said this before, the corners I think have the toughest assignment maybe out outside of offensive linemen at the Senior Bowl because they're faced up with these one on one drills. They're put on an island and it's either figure it out or you've had a bad week, right, And I think there was maybe one guy. I mean, there were a couple of guys that stood out. I thought up In Stout from Western Kentucky raised his stock a little bit at the Senior Bowl. Maxwell harriston the Kentucky corner had a good Senior Bowl process. But for the most part, every other guy that I'm looking at, Darian Porter out of Iowa State, Thomas out of Florida State, Jalen Smith from USC they had ups and they had Downstow.
Speaker 5: Carters though, because he's a tall, long, can't really turn that well guy, but he's like fast and so in real life he may be a zone guy for you, and they do all this man all this one on one cover stuff at these bows and even on film he does that. But in my mind, I'm like, hey, you can run and you're tall, a go be a cover three guy right back to the sideline deep thirds bail out, like I think he'll be much better there. So that's another problem we got to think about too, is that these colleges will do one thing, but when they get to the league they may have a whole nother idea. For these guys.
Speaker 2: How much do you play a factor. When you're scouting these corners and you're going in, you're looking at length. But I mean that's that's almost the plus side length. That could hurt your draft stock because you don't move as well. I think Porter moves exceptionally well for being six foot four or whatever he ended up being measured at.
Speaker 5: Sure, you just got to use your imagination. You just have to use your imagination. Like Barron is a fantastic example of that. Like they move him all over all over, right, you're not gonna move that much in real life.
Speaker 2: Baron's five to eleven. I mean that's different than six foot four.
Speaker 5: I think he'll be a fantastic nickel. I think he'll do some cool outside things. I don't see a whole bunch of safety in his future. I don't see a whole bunch of linebacker in his future. So in real life, if you just narrow these guys down to one job, they'll be totally different. So that's what I had to do, right, So if you go into it, yeah, man, I saw some Johdy Barons table. He was at a free and I didn't really like him at free saving too much. You have to use your He's not gonna be there, right, Just imagine him at nickel corner. Most likely he's probably gonna chase people around. You know, play on, play on both sides of the field, and that's where you take those risks. But just get rid of all the other rips.
Speaker 4: And I'll add this, sorry, Brian, go ahead, Jeff, But in the Matt Eberflus defense, when you look at what he did in Chicago with Kyler Gordon at that nickel spot, Nichols tend to have a lot of success when the Matt Eberflus defense is playing at their best. So if they want to approach it as Jordan Lewis bring him back, then that's going to be huge for Jordan Lewis because I think he would flourish in that kind of system. If Jordan Lewis has an understricted free agent decides to go elsewhere, then do you take a Jade Barron and say, hey, this is our nickel guy, this is our nickel guy. But is twelve too rich for him?
Speaker 6: Is?
Speaker 3: It would be the question if if you like the player taken it to well, I mean if you like the player to me, all I heard was Brian Branch with this kid and and he's he's not Brian Branch. He's more Trent McDuffie from Kansas City than he is Brian Branch.
Speaker 2: So people were.
Speaker 3: Talking about even my son who goes to school at Texas, and you know, he's like, Dad, you got to watch this kid play, and then you watch him play and he is the cover aspect. The things like that are just outstanding with him. The ability to carry some routes, the quickness, the ability to turn the ball, hawking, all that. Brian Branch to me, is like a linebacker guy, a safety guy, you know, can play at the corner, bigger, bigger. I think Baron's just more of a corner than he is that guy that can do all the things that we just described.
Speaker 2: It's it's an interesting case because you've got Baron Hunter. I've heard Will Johnson, I know, we talked about him just briefly the other day. And then the other guy that I have in the first is Trey Amos out of Old miss. I haven't heard much about him. What do you think about Amos?
Speaker 4: I thought he had I thought he had an okay Senior Bowl. Yeah, I thought he was good. I just think that that that is again it's a tough environment for corners because you don't really get a great gauge or a safeties defensive backs in general. Yeah, whatever you want to call it, it's not great because it's so much one on one and like like Tess Johnson for example at Oregon, I mean, he's just these guys just don't stand a chance one on one because he's so fast. But Amos is another one of those guys who I would think is deserving of that great I've got a second on him, but you know, sometimes it's just the tough environment.
Speaker 2: He's a loose hipped guy.
Speaker 3: And when you watch him play, you know, especially if you watch the Georgia game and beck Beck doesn't go at him at all. I mean, they are worried about how well this guy plays man cover. You put this guy in press, he is going to be hard to get away from him. He's a willing tackler. He's physical. There's a lot to like about this kid. And again I don't have the Senior Bowl measurements on him. With six is what I've been working off of. But this kid tracks the ball, he plays press. You know, he's he's he's a fluid moving player. Somebody's gonna fall in love with this kid. But you know it's he's got an interesting background, yep, because he went to school Louisiana and then he went to school at Alabama and now he's at Old Miss, and you kind of wonder, okay, was what's going on there? Why the why the double transfer? We see guys going from one place to another, but why the double transfer? Why leaving Alabama too? Is another thing you kind of have to ask yourself. So dig in coaching staff, now dig in on it could be dig in on that. But also, this guy's an outstanding football player.
Speaker 2: He was a six to oh three eight at the UH at the Senior Bowl, So six six foot three eighths, okay, okay, yeah, it's thirty two inch arms, wingspan six foot five.
Speaker 3: Eight, So he's you know, he he's got some good measurable His tape, you know, his tape.
Speaker 2: Is is really really Where do you have him second? The second round? Yeah? I have him late first, I have him like right at the end of my first round picks or first round grades, but I'm not gonna move him. I like him.
Speaker 5: I got a lout of first round.
Speaker 2: I've got sixteen right now, which is more than I thought I would have. And maybe that's me just being on I'm usually a very optimistic person, and maybe that's bad for me as a scout, But I think sixteen grades is right around where I'm at. I don't think I'm gonna take any away, like almost, I'm not gonna move them out of the first I believe that the fluidity, the movement, the measurables, and the tape that I saw. I watched them against LSU in South Carolina. I didn't even need the Kentucky tape. I watched it anyways, and all of those sold me across the board. So I'm gonna keep it almost where he's at. Is it Amos or almost?
Speaker 4: I believe he's adrianan Amos's son?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 4: Am I wrong about that?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 5: Man?
Speaker 2: If you are. If you're right about that, then that's gonna be something on my scouting report, and we'll put that in the draft magazine. All right, when we come back, it's time to do a little twitter. On the twenty. We got some great questions lined up from the fans out there talking about the NFL Draft as we're seventy days away. More of the Draft show right after this.
Speaker 7: Life is a workout, and Smoothie King is here to help you power through, whether you're maxing out overhead presses, push them through chest flies, or being the hero your golden retriever needs to carry them over that scary bridge. Smoothie King has the fuel to help you go all out, build muscle and boost your recovery with forty five grams of protein, zero grams of added sugar, and delicious customizable ingredients and the Gladiator Smoothie available in chocolate, strawberry, and vanilla only at Smoothie Kit.
Speaker 8: All Right, Drew Pierston, former Dallas Cowboy and now Pro Football Hall of Famer, Here, if you're struggling with your vision and tired of those contacts and glasses, don't throw aheall Mary, go where I went. Laser Care Eye Center, the official laser partner of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 5: Drew, thank you so much for trusting us with your vision correction procedure. At Laser Care I Center, we offer six different vision correction procedures to help patients see check.
Speaker 8: Them out at dfwis dot com. Tell them Drew sent you.
Speaker 5: Hoo hoo.
Speaker 9: I'm Dak Prescott quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 5: Snap with the.
Speaker 2: Fresh guy who looks right. It's not there. He escaped slapped, he'll look full a first down.
Speaker 9: Just like football, when it comes to crypto, it's important to have a team you can trust. With Blockchain dot Com, I know I'm in good hands. Since twenty eleven, they've been trusted by millions around the world to buy, sell, and trade crypto currency.
Speaker 7: Press Scott's gonna run this himself, run it up the middle, and he scores.
Speaker 9: Whether you're new to crypto or an active trader, they've got you covered.
Speaker 2: What are you waiting for?
Speaker 9: Get started at blockchain dot com Cowboys fans.
Speaker 10: When it comes to navigating the ever changing world of tax, your business needs a partner it can trust to tackle even your biggest tax challenges. Ryan is the largest firm in the world dedicated exclusively to business taxes. Our team of tax professionals has local expertise in all areas of tax and can help you uncover savings opportunities you didn't know you had. Learn more about how Ryan can improve your overall corporate tax performance by visiting Ryan dot com. Ryan the official tax partner of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 1: Is the Dallascowboys dot Com draft shops.
Speaker 2: Gentlemen, loves is in the air. It's in the air. It's almost Valentine's Day? Have you got your Valentine's some presents already?
Speaker 5: Valentine's is a scam, so don't ask me. It is rightful. You read his paper.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well it's not a scam. And you gotta you gotta spend all your money at the Cowboys Pro Shop. So is the perfect gift for Valentine's Day? It is at the Cowboys Pro Shop. Whether you're shopping for your other half or for yourself, you can maybe go get yourself something botch from the Cowboys Pro Shop. Show yourself a little bit of love, find the freshest tease, hoodies and more. Visit the nearest pro shop or online at shop dot Dallascowboys dot Com. A fanatics experience, it didn't go the way I anticipated.
Speaker 5: Shop at the Cowboys Pro Shop. You know what I'm saying. Show yourself some love.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, there you go up, wait to save it.
Speaker 5: I don't. I don't work you.
Speaker 2: I'm a gainst Yeah you duck in Yeah huh votch. Lombardi Brian brought us Tommy yarch On Kyle Yeomans with Jasmine Marshall in the back about the press the a twitter.
Speaker 4: Very quickly before we start twitter on the twenty there's no relations between Trey Amos and Adrian Amos. I apologize for that.
Speaker 2: So you were wrong. I was wrong. That's unfortunately, it's first of many. That's okay. I'm gonna say, not the first time and certainly not the last. You're on this show long enough, you'll be wrong a lot. That's right, That's very true. All right, Jerry in Ireland is going to get us started today. How about that across the pond? He said. Brian used to say build around the quarterback to make him successful. Right, it's saying that you've used quite a few times. He wants to take a different approach. He wants to take the attitude toward Micah Parsons on the edge rusher spot with that in mind, specific scheme aside, what would benefit Micah most in an ideal world from this draft class? And he listed a couple of options, but I want to open it up and then we can maybe hit these options here in a minute. What would benefit Michael Parsons in this draft class.
Speaker 5: We are looking for one take. We are looking for past rushes that can help him in the in the past rush department, and we're looking for corners. I hope I ain't take everybody answers, but I think that's just obvious.
Speaker 2: You just did. Don't worry about that. I ask you for one thing.
Speaker 5: And you said for but tell me why we need corners.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but you know what, the first thing that came to my mind was an a pass rusher opposite.
Speaker 2: It's first thing that came to my mind.
Speaker 3: Interesting if you had somebody opposite of him that could kind of take some of the pressure where we you know, we've seen in the past where if you have somebody to pair with a really good rusher, how it affects you know that they can't do things protection wise, They can't chip you, they can't slide to you. You know, if you have somebody on the other side of Micah Parsons that could really really rush, and you know that there's there's some guys you are hopeful for. Sam Williams. I felt like that going into the season. You know, there was a lot of talk about Sam Williams and then we're all in training camp and watching a special teams period and Sam Williams is now laying on the ground and no longer on your team.
Speaker 2: Uh that way, you know, helping you. But so that's a huge los.
Speaker 3: I kind of feel like that having that pass rusher opposite him. I think the coverage aspect, like Box says, though, I think is really really important too.
Speaker 2: With that.
Speaker 3: You know, if you can hold up on the back end and give Micah a second or two more or an opportunity to rush or break somebody down, I think that would be very helpful to him as well.
Speaker 5: So Brian, let me ask you this and we can just rebound off of that. So when you say, get Micah a pass rushing partner, right, how good do you want that dude to be? Do you just want like another body that can get pass rushing or do you want like another dude like him.
Speaker 2: I'll take your old miss kid, Okay, I'll take I'll take.
Speaker 5: Princeley, um mom and.
Speaker 2: Oh mommy, yellen, oh mamma, yellen. Yeah, I'll take your guy there. I'll take Pierce too. I mean, first I thought you were saying Nolan. I was like, wow, that was a change I'm looking for an edge, you know.
Speaker 3: I mean to I'm a big fan of Mike Green from Marshall and so if it's somebody of that caliber type of a player, I think that's a huge help for Michael Parsons.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I wouldn't tend to agree with that. I'm with you on Mike Green. I mean, him alongside Michael Parsons, I feel like would be fantastic. But I look at if you're going to build around Michael Parsons, I'm leaning more towards you want a talented secondary. You want somebody at the corner spot, at the safety spot, maybe later in the later rounds that can, like Brian said, give Michael Parsons that extra second or two, because really, I think Mike has proven up to this point in his career that regardless of who's on the defensive line with him, regardless of how good or maybe not as good as they'd want to be on the rest of the defensive line the Cowboys have been, he's still gotten his twelve plus sacks in the last four years. So that extra time or extra two seconds of time that it would take for Michael Parsons to get in the backfield He's going to do it regardless of who's on the other side of him. So getting those coverage, sacks and those guys who can cover for you downfield and even when Michael Parsons doesn't get home, still be able to make a play on the ball or be in the area try to break up passes, I think is valuable.
Speaker 5: Do you think it'll be easier to boaster the coverage or to boaster the pass rush pass rush? Because what I'm thinking is, like, all right, we can add a corner, but we've had a We've had a really good corner before. They just throw it to the other corner, right Yeah, So like if you're gonna fix coverage, you would have to fix all of it. Three four people right right, I'm watching the Eagles. You know what I'm saying. I just hate too. You know what I'm saying. They just got a handful of guys in the you know, pass rush department. They go and draft a safety or two when hey, they get the sack. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: They drafted two corners with the nickel. The nickel was huge for them. To get Maddox off the field, was huge. Uh, you know, Mitchell played at a very very high level right off the jump, so they they were they were very fortunate that that pass rust though I went back and watched the you know, the sacks that Mahomes suffered. There were like three different times though if he just had a decent pocket, they were plays down the field to worthy that they just couldn't get the ball off. So pass rush is huge, But that that secondary, the way that they cover is has made them a different team. They would they went from giving up a ton of points a ton of yards last year to being one of the best. And I think a lot of it has to do with the way that that second they still got Blank and Ship and you know and and and John's Gardner Johnson, and they probably need to upgrade there. But those corners man even sligh. They keep Slay out of the mix, and you know, you should probably be attacking him more, but teams don't because the pass rush gets home.
Speaker 2: Now, this is kind of along the same lines. Damien asked if there was one position and or a player that could help the Cowboys, or that the Cowboys could target to help Matt Eberflus in his scheme and make that successful. What would that be Would that be a lethal pass rusher? Again?
Speaker 5: Yeah, but we drafted twelve, so you know, if we'd have lost some more games, I mean, yeah, Mason Graham wud Yeah, that would have been nice, that'd be fantastic.
Speaker 2: Okay, well then let me ask you this, this is a fan question. Let me preface it by that so that way we can throw this on there. Sure, would you trade the first round pick the number twelve to go get a guy that might have maybe once called Arlington, Texas home and has requested a trade from a specific team.
Speaker 3: I don't think there's anybody on the board better than that player you're talking about. You know, the edge there with that team in Ohio. But yeah, I you know, to me, that's where you have to evaluate. If you really really want to make this, if you really really want to help, you would say, okay, is there anybody on the board better then?
Speaker 2: And then if you say no, then go for it.
Speaker 3: If you feel like that at Ashton Genty or McMillan or I mean.
Speaker 2: I think there's somebody has a shot.
Speaker 3: I think we all have names that we would not I mean, like Jeff Cavan I did like a trust the tape this morning and and it was Jeff gave me four blue chip names that he absolutely if those guys were there, would absolutely take those guys. And I think we all, as we've done this process, would have three to four guys that we wouldn't that we would say, Okay, we're not we're not trading to pick. Yeah, but I think everybody else's fair game. I think everybody else on that board.
Speaker 2: Even if that's the case, and that players on the board, would your name, would your floor four blue chip names go down to one or two? I think it's tough, right, Yeah, it's tough.
Speaker 3: But to me, I really I would love to see, man if somehow when your blue chip guys get you, I'd love to be able to test that theory because I it would be very, very difficult for me as much as they. I feel like that McMillan would help this team. So would that guy in Ohio. You're done right, so that that would test me. Now, to get the guy in Ohio, you would have to be able to have to give up other things along with it. If you're comfortable having him picking at forty four, not having anything it's at seventy what's that number?
Speaker 2: Seventy seventy sixty six.
Speaker 3: If you're comfortable doing that and not having a four, you've really much wiped yourself out of a draft.
Speaker 2: But you've got one of the best.
Speaker 3: Players in the National Football League, so you'd have to consider that.
Speaker 5: So Brian Jens or this imaginary character that play football.
Speaker 2: Yep, fantasy football, I would I would take the imaginary player, Okay, Okay, Tommy, I'd agree with that. Okay.
Speaker 5: If a dual Carter rib the bank and he's at and he's at at twelve four.
Speaker 2: I'll make the pick. I'll make that pick.
Speaker 5: Yeah, okay, So I would do that too, Okay. So it's it's it's so you're drafting those for those three of four guys, chaps. Yeah, but if it's not those three or four guys make it happen, then you don't go get that imaginary player, right right?
Speaker 2: Which could you do that draft weekend? Could you do? You think that would be something you could wait AT's something playing, that's something game.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's something you have to I to me, if you go on the clock with that, you might you might you might not get the value out of it you need.
Speaker 2: You might get you know, they might hold you up on stuff.
Speaker 5: I think that random team would love to draft it. Two and a twill.
Speaker 2: I think so too, Yeah, I think wait the case all right? Uh, this one kind of pairs a couple of questions together. We had a question about comp pics. What would the comppicks look like? I'm looking at it right now. This is from NFL dot com projected competitory picks for the Cowboys Three in round five, one in round six, and that is that for twenty six? Uh that's for twenty five? Oh well no, yeah, we know that, right. What's what's the question? What's your uh? What do you?
Speaker 5: What do you?
Speaker 2: Were you asking? Why were talking compics? What do we did I miss something? Though? They were just wondering what the compics are? Oh I thought they were they have You were just explaining what it was. I thought you were trying to calculate the f No, no, no, no, this upcoming because they haven't announced it yet. And three is the projected in round five. One is in round six that replaces Doran's Armstrong, Tyler Biattish, Tony Pollard, Tyron Smith, Dante Faller Junior. Got you, So that's that's okay?
Speaker 3: There, I'm sorry, but kind of I thought you were projecting into twenty six.
Speaker 2: I'm like, what we're getting real after it now? Free agent hadn't even started yet. Cowboy Chuck kind of along those same line, said, would last year's seven round picks of or seventh round picks of Nathan Thomas and Justin Rodgers, where would they rank in this twenty twenty five class based off of the guys you've seen so far? And does that affect how team's prioritize picks going into this draft, including those comp picks the fact that you have a lot of those front loaded in the fifth Did you.
Speaker 5: Know Justin Rodgers is back on the team?
Speaker 11: Yeah?
Speaker 5: When when the hell I happened?
Speaker 2: It was like week sixteen seven, towards the end of the year.
Speaker 5: What are you doing on the Russ? Okay? Cool? Okay? So they asking if Auburn Justin r is in his glass?
Speaker 2: Yeah, like did they think that? Where did they rank in terms of it? And the answer here could just be that they were seventh round picks. He would make him.
Speaker 5: He'll be in a seventh Solway. Yeah, but this is a class field with one ticks that I that I'm a fan of.
Speaker 2: Week but they don't play a factor at all.
Speaker 5: Man, I'm drafted, I'm I'm doubled down. I'm doubling down on one of those guys. Like if I could take a tackle in the third round and then come back and get Jordan Phillips or something like that, and if he's there, he's gonna be there. But just but just we just keep finding guys, right tyd Robinson from the Braast, We just keep finding, you know, third, fourth, fifth round guys. So like, man, even if you don't get tackled early, you can go you can go tackle late. And I'm not thinking about Justin Rodgers in that equation.
Speaker 2: I'm a little interested, like why why is there so much intrigue around Nathan Thomas?
Speaker 3: Yeah, the unknown, he'spiged, the big body guy and which he and you there's three questions here.
Speaker 5: Cowboy fans love the backups, but they hate the superstars. That's just what life is.
Speaker 2: It's interesting.
Speaker 5: Somebody somebody rooting for Rico gathers right now, Rico gathers. That's just that's just that's just how we do. That's just our second bears. I don't know that's our you know, that's just our fan base. Or whatever. So now, yeah, Nathan Thomas shortan Nathan Nathan Thomas probably won't even take, uh, won't even take the jobs of the guys that we have Bass and and Hoffmann. So Nathan gonna have to live some waste and we'll see when we get to camp.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's the whole thing is what did he do with this off season? What did he do did was he living in the weight room, He got to be stronger? Was he getting more flexible? Was he getting more quick footed?
Speaker 5: You know?
Speaker 2: These are things. Yeah, there's you never know.
Speaker 3: This might be one of those unknowns that show up, or they might be one of those guys that you know, the Cowboys picked and all of a sudden, you're you know, he doesn't fit into what you know, what they're what you're trying to do. He doesn't look athletic, he doesn't look strong, you know. So there was some hope for him coming out of Louisiana when he was selected. Uh, but you know, if you look at overall though him losing the year, he needs to hopefully he the strength staff got him to where he could at least be competitive in training camp this year.
Speaker 5: But see, Kyle, this is another thing that I'm having problems with fighting people online? Why do we keep having why do we keep trying to patch work the offensive line? You know what I'm saying, Like, like we look at all, right, we have to upgrade from Jalen over, the Brooks and all these guys. But we'll see what Nathan Thomas, Hey, we'll we'll try to squeeze brock hob and see everything. Why don't we look at offensive line the same way that we and look, we like not like us, but we like them, right? Why why don't we look at offensive line like we have to upgrade this? Like why do we have to patch work there?
Speaker 2: Somebody asked me that in a DM I think this week where they were talking about Zack Martin. Why does the show, as in the draft show, why do we just kind of anticipate Zach Martin not being there? It's because there's a good chance he's not there going into next week.
Speaker 3: He even said he was a free agent, so maybe somebody else would come along and make him offer better than what the Cowboys were willing to do.
Speaker 5: He's going to be.
Speaker 2: A probably a June one cut just because of the void years. At the end of all this and what that's going to play out. Don't be surprised. You look up June one and Zach Martin's getting cut doesn't mean he's not gonna be here next year. That's just the conversation they have to have in the contract. That the way that it's structured moving forward. All right, Josh Weaver, pick your best two round options. We like doing these every once in a while while on here. So first two rounds. We'll start it off with Ashton Gent running back from Boise State. He's paired with Xavier Watt's safety from Notre Dame, which we're going to talk about in this next segment. That's the first option, pretty good, one two punch Luther Burden, wide receiver from Missouri, and Mason Graham slips to the second round defensive tackle from Michigan. So there's your second option. And your third option is Kenneth Grant from Michigan defensive tackle in the first round. And you've got Treyvon Henderson, the running back from Ohio State that flips to the second round.
Speaker 5: Many in one of his scenarios, Yeah, may rob the bank. Mason Graham yea to the second but then the.
Speaker 2: Other Kenny Kenny Grant goes first, went first. Yeah, I would flip those two.
Speaker 4: I think Mason Graham would have done something worse than rob the bank.
Speaker 2: The second round.
Speaker 3: I would maybe say this, like, flip the two names. Probably Okay, Okay, who is the name he paired with? Graham lu Receiver Missouri.
Speaker 5: Okay, let's go burding like Harmon or something.
Speaker 3: But you take Harmon. I was just gonna go Nolan. You know where I'm at with Nolan, and I'm the same way. I just want to see everybody else out. But Tommy, we talked about I would do.
Speaker 2: Some people would love Nolan.
Speaker 5: Some people love Nolan more than me. Yeah, Nolan's a flash guy, He's a sometimes.
Speaker 2: Okay, it's not falls Okay, well falls to the forty four. You still wouldn't feel good.
Speaker 5: Well, it depends on who else is on my board. And that's my big thing, right. I don't hate Nolan. I just like Harmon much better. I like Grant better, I like Williams better. So it just depends on who's there. If no, if Nolan is there with those other guys on.
Speaker 2: Let's say Williams, Harmon and Nolan are all there, I would rather Harmon Harmon out of Oregon, and.
Speaker 5: Then Williams from Ohio State, and then I would take Nolan.
Speaker 2: From over oh So he's third on that list that.
Speaker 5: He's my he's my dtackle five or something. I've been seeing conversations where people talking.
Speaker 2: To Sanders South Carolina TJ like.
Speaker 5: Like third for me, So I would take Nolan over Sanders. But I've been seeing people talk about Nolan at twelve and I'm just like what I'm missing. I'm like, what's'all looking at? Like what's going on? Yeah, So I'm I'm definitely not here for that. If in case, anybody to table one to fight for Nolan at twelve or whatever, but uh no.
Speaker 2: Not that high.
Speaker 4: Yeah no, If he's there at forty four, then absolutely we.
Speaker 5: Can definitely talk about him at forty four. I won't I won't cry about it.
Speaker 2: If Nolan's going to go in the first round, somebody's gonna be take he will, he will.
Speaker 4: And if if that's the case, and this is a guy that like Brian was talking about, if you like your guy, yeah, then then go get him, go get it, and then go get him. You know, I don't think that's too rich for for Nolan for Baron, for for really any of these guys. But if he's there at forty four and you pick Luther Burden at twelve, then that that absolutely I would I would with that.
Speaker 2: Okay, So Gent and Watts, Burden, and let's say Nolan slips, go go for go Campbell, go the linebacker Campbell, Jehan Campbell, Yeah, go Campbell at forty four in that Burden, Yeah, go with Burden and Campbell. Okay, as your numbers. Okay, so Genty and Watts, Burden and Campbell, Grant and Henderson. Which one are you taking out of those three?
Speaker 5: I'm probably going Genty and Watts.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm with watch.
Speaker 2: I love what's wats is a safety.
Speaker 5: Dog safety from Notre Dame. And I love Jency too.
Speaker 2: Okay, Yeah, so.
Speaker 5: You know I don't have the pout about nothing.
Speaker 2: I'm shocked you didn't say Grant and Henderson because you've got the high end running back talent from Grant, I mean, excuse me, from Henderson, but you sure up your defensive line. And that's I was trying to think of what first round grades I had, because Burden's a first round grade on there. You know, some of the others.
Speaker 3: Gent is, of course the first round grade On, but I was trying to if you if you told me I could take the last group it there'd be two second round guys on my board.
Speaker 2: Grant is the second round guy, and Granton Henderson would be second round guys on my board.
Speaker 5: Yeah, twelve a little half of me for Grant, but I like to play it though.
Speaker 2: Gent would be a first and a second or Genty Watts a first and second. Yeah, Watts would be a second for me.
Speaker 3: Burnon Campbell would be a first and a second for me, and then the other ones would be a two and a two.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, I think I would go Genty and Watts in that that mindset. Then try and find a receiver.
Speaker 5: And they'll tell you, Man, genty and Wise that's my running back one in my safety too, So I'd be pretty happy about that.
Speaker 2: Okay, So which one are you going with?
Speaker 3: Broad Us Man, I'm stuck because I really like Burden a lot, and and I'll tell you what, Campbell will help you a lot at linebacker, at lineback and that, and I don't know, in a draft where there's not many linebackers, you give me a shot. I love Walker from I mean watch and I round and round about Walker, But I think if you threw Campbell in there, I might go with with burdon Campbell just because I know that it would fill too two very needy positions for me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's interesting either way. And if you do Burden and Campbell, you sure up the second level of your defense. You get yourself a number two wide receiver, really a one b at wide receiver, and then you can maybe get a running back in the third one of those other guys. Where do you guys get in on Campbell? Where do you guys stand on Campbell? I've got a second on him.
Speaker 5: On him, Uh, he's the best lineback in the draft. Of me, second round, he.
Speaker 2: Would be the best, like true linebacker, because I still have Walker as a linebacker. I have Walker as a linebacker, but I think it's because of the off ball edge, that kind of thing. I get it. Some people see them different.
Speaker 5: The best linebacker hook Yeah, he's okay.
Speaker 2: But he's the second round that second round. If you don't feel like like Walker is the best linebacker, because Campbell can.
Speaker 5: Say I can cover, can run sideline, the sideline, Campbell.
Speaker 3: Walker will be number one. Is gonna die on this hill on Walker. I just let's just that he's an edge.
Speaker 5: Let's speak, Walker is an edge. Walker is not a linebacker. Walker, you can't cover. I don't want Walker covering nobody for me.
Speaker 2: He can cover, he can cover.
Speaker 5: Just I don't want. I don't want Taylor Walker in the league.
Speaker 2: You can, He'll be fine.
Speaker 5: I would rather.
Speaker 2: He's as athletic as anybody at that line.
Speaker 5: But I don't want fine. If I'm drafting him, why y'all telling me I got a draft him? I want ken cover. I know Johana Camill can cover. I don't think. I don't think Jalen Walker is that is that kind of cover guy.
Speaker 2: John Campbell's a middle linebacker. Walker is an outside linebacker. They both have the words linebacker in them. So I'm gonna put Walker as the number one linebacker.
Speaker 5: If if we're using words linebacker and not using words edge, then I'm putting linebacker responsibilities on Jalen Walk. I think he's a great I think he's an edge. I think that's what I think his best that's arguing for. He thinks he's in His best players are moving forward, spy and all that kind of stuff. That's cool.
Speaker 2: But I think he'll he'll tell you he's a third round edge, is what he'll tell you. Though, too, I'll say, is he a third round edge, he's the second second round day the first round linebacker. Tell you. This guy will tell you he is.
Speaker 3: He's like, I don't know, man, I'm I'm kind of looking at all these edges right now brought us and you know what, I use it. That Boston college kid is looking really good to me right now. And at South Carolina, I kind of feel.
Speaker 5: Like, you're not going to me out on the draft showing to punk me. What I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Is if from South Carolina.
Speaker 5: He's better if Jaylen, if if Jalen, if Jayleen Walker is an edge for me, and I don't think of him as a linebacker. I think he disappears as a linebacker. I think I get I get sleepy and tired when he's a linebacker. But he makes explosive plays at edge, especially versus Texas, right that's his best Show me the.
Speaker 2: Rest of the game.
Speaker 5: But show me the rest of the games where he going crazy. But that's cool. Though, If he's only an edge for me, I'm putting him versus Mike Green. I think Mike Green is a better pure edge than him. I'm putting them versus Pierce Tennessee. I think Piers a better pure edge than him.
Speaker 2: Maybe you should put him at linebacker.
Speaker 5: I don't like he's worse, Like he's a fourth front linebacker. Swessenger is a better linebacker than Jaylen Walker.
Speaker 2: Kyle takes the break.
Speaker 5: Yeah, over y, I don't scare me for Lombard talking about I was just going to.
Speaker 4: Say that I think Walker's ability is rushing the pastor.
Speaker 5: It is because he's an age right time. Tom he's you don't have to Tommy, don't you don't have Tommy.
Speaker 4: Is his best as a pastor.
Speaker 2: I was about to ride the.
Speaker 5: Before let him talk.
Speaker 4: I lean linebacker just because there are some reps that he.
Speaker 2: Takes at edge.
Speaker 4: No, I'm with you that his best ability is the ability to rush the passer. But he can do things at linebacker, like in that Texas game when you watch him spy, he does get he does things well, he sees the field well, but he is his best moving north and south.
Speaker 5: Instead of called my phone personally and told me don't low on this show. That's what he told me. Tommy, did he text you the same thing that I'm not lying?
Speaker 2: All right? We're going to break when we come back here on the Draft show. Its sign for a little tell me more, John, excuse me, mister, mister Walker's linebacker when we come back here on to er howmoset talking Cowboys. I'm a little flusterrated now, Strap show.
Speaker 11: I'm Darren Woodson, former Dallas Cowboy player and Super Bowl champion. When I played in the NFL at a high level, I relied on my vision to see the field. As I started getting older, I noticed my vision wasn't as good and I was getting frustrated from wearing my glasses all day. I went to Lasercare Eye Center and doctor G talked about all the options. Thanks to technology and Laser Care Eye Center, I can see near, far, and between. Don't fumble your vision any longer. Visit them at dfwis dot com and tell them Darren Center, they got me back on my game.
Speaker 12: Star Sports Tours is the only official fan travel partner of the Dallas Cowboys, offering exclusive game weekend travel packages with pregame sideline access and photo ops with current players, cheerleaders, and Cowboy legends. You want to stay at the Team Hotel, attend the best tail game party in Texas, tour the Star and talk ex's and ods with me Everson Walls. With Star Sports Tours, you can visit cowboystravel dot com to book your travel package. Today.
Speaker 7: Life is a workout, and Smoothie King is here to help you power through.
Speaker 2: Whether you're maxing out.
Speaker 7: Overhead presses, pushing through chest flies, or being the hero your golden retriever needs to carry them over that scary bridge.
Speaker 2: Smoothie King has.
Speaker 7: The fuel to help you go all out, build muscle and boost your recovery with forty five grams of protein, zero grams of added sugar, and delicious customizable ingredients and the Gladiator Smoothie available in chocolate, strawberry, and vanilla only at Smoothie Kit.
Speaker 6: How about them Cowboys or how about them Tyson Cowboys Nuggets. As we cheer for the stars on the field, we love that we've also got some stars on our plate thanks to Tyson brand star shaped Cowboys Nuggets pat along with all our other favorite Tyson Foods products, sure make game day special. Score some delicious Tyson Cowboys Nuggets and become a game day Star. Just like our Cowboys, as you enjoy your stars on and.
Speaker 2: Off the plate.
Speaker 6: Remember, tailgates and game day have always been Tyson.
Speaker 1: Is the Dallascowboys dot Com Draft Show.
Speaker 2: Back here on the Draft Show, coming out to AT and T Stadium February twenty second for the Monster Energy AMA Supercross Championship Series. Watch the world's best two wheel racers converge for one night of NonStop action. Enjoy unprecedented access to the sports biggest stars with an up close view of the race bikes and the team rigs at FanFest. Tickets are on sale now at sea geek dot com, the official ticketing partner of AT and T Stadium. The Draft Show presented by Miller Light, the only beer the Dallas Cowboys. It's Miller Time. Brian brought us, Tommy Yarish, Votch Lombardi. I'm Kyle Yeomans, glad you're with us here on this Thursday, seventy days away, and I want to kind of hit some the names that some draft boards have high on the list, whether there's first, second, third round guys across the board that we've maybe talked about once or twice but haven't given a true h a true scouting report on them just yet, and so it's a time for a little bit of tell me more and then can I lead with the guy? Then? Real quick on that? Please? Yeah, which one you want to start with? You guess?
Speaker 3: Tell me tell me some more about about my guy the guard tackle from Ohio State. Which you think about Donovan Jackson?
Speaker 5: Okay, Donovan is a powerful guard. I will say he can get moving in the run game. I think he has some pretty good pass sets. And when our guy Josh got hurt, he moved out the left tackle and he played against Penn State, and I do a call to beat the hell out of him. But towards the end of his you know campaign or whatever you know, postseason, he put together some really good tackle tape. So now that boost him up the board for me because he does he does both guard and tackle things. If he has any issues or whatever, it may be him losing his balance because he's trying to whoop people so bad, right, you know, he may end up on the ground sometimes just kind of losing it. But what the hell is coaching for it? Brian bro Right, So I had works on that, yees, sir, I got my guy Donovan Jackson in the second round as a guard, and I got him behind Booker from Alabama.
Speaker 2: I was going to ask you that, Tommy, you got this guy.
Speaker 4: I think Voch hit the nail right on the head. He's a Houston Episcopal Episcopal guy, so Texas cat five star prospect. I think coming out of high school, I think he's a better guard. But put like Vach said, put together some really good tackle tape after Abdul Carter at his number with him, so that versatility is going to be something that helps him along in the process. But I think he's better as a guard, really good on the run game, and then he can hold his own in past sets too strong base, just kind of strong in general. You really see him moving back unless it's number eleven and blue and white on the other.
Speaker 5: Side, I played a lot of good dudes too. Brown.
Speaker 2: I was wondering, would you take him at forty four? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, absolutely, yeah, Just.
Speaker 2: Do you think I could see I have him over Booker? Yeah? Oh, interesting, I have him over Booker Booker from Alabama.
Speaker 5: By the way, I hate your reasonings for it, though, right, why do you have him there? Because he likes the guys that could play guard and tackle more. But I'm like, if they're just a guard, I think Booker's better just as a guard. But you like Donovan Moore as a player, Yeah, because he can do both.
Speaker 3: He showed me that he can do more than just play guard, and I think there's something to that. If you're blocking, you set it yourself. You're blocking good dudes at the end, and you're blocking the tackle and that's really not your natural position. Because I watched I've watched this Tyler Smith kind of do the same thing, you know what I'm saying. So you know, I think the flexibility is and I'm usually not this. You know when you say position flex to me. I used to think it was a cool thing, and now I'm kind of like it means you don't play anything really really well. I think he could play both of them well, and it's kind of intriguing to me that way. So, and I don't know if I could do that with Booker at Alabama, and Booker's a hell of a player.
Speaker 2: I don't think you want to do it with Booker because he has been so good. No, but I'm saying Booker is a hell of a guard. And if you had Booker you'd be damn happy to have him. I just think there's a little bit more to Jackson's game than Booker's game.
Speaker 5: So Brian, let me asking it. So, if you were to draft Jackson right, yeah, and you like him as a tackle, is there a world where he's competing with your tackles or you only put in the med tackle if is an emergency.
Speaker 3: Okay, I see what you're doing here. Because you want you want me to, I would play them at guard, okay. But I would also know in my mind that if my health of my offensive line is not good, if it got bad, plan if it got bad, because I give me a little bit flexibility there. If you told me that both of my guards have the capability of playing tackle, one playing left tackle, one playing right tackle, I think I'm I think I'm feeling a little bit better about my offensive line.
Speaker 2: Is that a change in your mentality since let's say before the Tyler Smith era. Has he changed your mind in that regard at all? I always kind of.
Speaker 3: I just I think you have to if you're if you're looking at these kids, you have to give them credit. If they show you that they could play at a high level. You have to acknowledge that, sure, and it makes me even wants you more if you're able to go out there and like in the middle of a game, all of a sudden, we've dressed eight guys and now we have to we lose our tackle in the game, and so boom, we're kicking you outside and we're not falling apart. So I think you have to acknowledge that. And that's what I'm doing with this player. And I guys, listen, I love Booker, I really really do.
Speaker 2: I think that.
Speaker 3: I think there's something about Donovan Jackson's game that's very, very.
Speaker 2: Appealing to me.
Speaker 3: The flexibility, but the fact that he could play both spots pretty well.
Speaker 2: And I'm I'm all for that. Is there anybody that you have above Jackson that card Banks? Okay, you move, see, but see there's people that think Banks, there's people that think that Banks is a is a tackle And I totally, I totally, you know, I could totally understand that. I think I have him.
Speaker 3: But the later I started watching Banks, it was kind of some of these games, the playoff games, and Tommy, you're gonna tell me then he's banged up, he had an ankle problem.
Speaker 2: But I saw some of those games at.
Speaker 3: The end where he was struggling a little bit more and a little bit more on the edge and a little bit more in space, and that kind of led me to believe maybe if you can find the space of what he plays in, he might even be a better player there.
Speaker 4: But I think it kind of goes to the same conversation with Jackson to where if he's a player where you feel like you can do both with then I mean, yeah, that brought him out of tackle and if that doesn't work, see how guardwords think he's versatile enough to where he hasn't played guard in his time at Texas, but if you called upon him to do that, he could certainly do it. I mean, he's one of the more athletic guys in this class. I think he's the most athletic tackle in this class. And you know that ability to move and the strength that he's got. He's great in the run game. You can use him in polls and pins and schemes like that. So which they're going to do, which they're going to do. So if that's if that's a good scheme fit, which I think I think he would be, then that's another guy similar to Jackson, where you can kind of see what works best for him and he can be a valuable piece.
Speaker 2: While we're on the subject of interior offensive Wyman, how about Tate Rattledge Georgia. Tell me a little bit more about what you've seen. Six foot six, three hundred and twenty pounds originally out of Rome, Georgia.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think when he's healthy, he's a mauler and he's excellent in the run game. A great hand placement, kind of controls those interior defensive tackles to make rushing lanes for his guys. And obviously Georgia with Trevor et In had a great running game this year. You know, good in pass protection too. I think he does a good job picking up stunts. That's what popped out to me the most about him. He's a smart player. He knows where guys are coming, and he's able to pass guys off to other people when he sees those delayed pressures or those stunts coming in. So he's athletic enough to be out in space, can get downfield as a blocker. They ran a lot of screen games. From some of the games that I watched, I watched the two games against Texas and then later on in the season two. I think is the did the play LSU this year?
Speaker 11: Was it?
Speaker 4: Old miss I'm blinking there you go, thank you about Walter Nowen.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 4: So the thing is, it's the big question mark there is went healthy. He had a rope surgery earlier this year, so he missed a couple of games.
Speaker 2: You think about him.
Speaker 5: Tommy got him, Tommy, Tommy is now now now. When I was watching old Miss, old missus competitive, man, they got some they got some dudes up there and boys. Jared I even got him real good one time. And that was the first game I watched. I was like, man, does he have a problem with you know, quicker tackles or anything like that? But nah, no, no, just you know, I Eve just just got him. But very strong, dude, maller dude competitive he do. I think he moves decent, but I don't want to put him in that conversation like you know Donovan as a mover, like as a mover, but he can move well enough. I got him in the third.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, third round third, third round two. I think the problem when he misses with his hands, he's in trouble. I mean he is like because he's not Yeah, well he doesn't have the I don't think he has the true athletic ability to recover that way. There's some guys that you'll see them miss with their hand get outside, but they're kind of scrambling with their with their feet and their footwork and all that. I just think to me that that, you know, he's predominantly played in an inside zone gap scheme, and so that's kind of how he plays. It's but the stuff with the outside I know, we talk about pinn and poles and things like that. I just don't see a guy that's capable of playing like that. I mean, you see him sometimes with the down blocks and things. That's fine. Shield guy's fine, But when they asked him to do stuff like pick up or outside be in space, kind of was a little bit struggle. I watched the Texas the Southeastern Conference championship game Notre Dame. He kind of got exposed against Notre Dame a little bit this way. But because I see this guy six sixties, three to twenties, pad level gets way up, and then when he gets way up, I think there's some I think there's some problems to his game.
Speaker 2: You mentioned John Campbell, linebacker from Alabama in the last segment. Yea, who wanted to put him in the second round in one of those scenarios. To tell me more about Jahad Campbell.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think with Campbell, I really really I like this kid a lot. The length, the size, and I get a measured at six three, two forty five. I don't know if there's been an update on that.
Speaker 2: I don't think so.
Speaker 3: But he's got really good instincts. He's got toughness. He lines up all over the place. I mean, you'll see him inside, you'll see him outside. He's versatile in that way. I think he does a really good job of reading the play, following the flow, and then with the offense and then getting in on the tackle. You know, there's some things with him with the range, it's good, the lateral quickness, the sideline, the sideline stuff. He could set the edge with some strength. He's got some pop in his hands, you know, forcing the run back inside to his teammates. You know, with that way, he had an interception in the Georgia game I was watching, So he has an understanding where he needs to fit by reading the quarterback and then getting in on the play that way. So the length presents a problem with him for him, well not for him, but for receivers and coverage.
Speaker 2: And he could be a good blitzer too.
Speaker 3: So the size and the power, he gotta like a kid that's six three two forty five and he wears the number eleven two for Alabama. So that'll fetch you something you can think about. It looks pretty big up there too. He was top five in the SEC in total tackles. Yeah, and his tackling.
Speaker 2: Wasn't the best quality that he had either. Like I said, er like you said, I like it when he can play downhill, he can get in the backfield. He was a good blitzer, was very under control when he was running downhill, but then he would break back and coverage. Made a play in the Auburn game that I was calling earlier than the year that where he jumped back and I didn't even see him over the middle of the field. I thought, I think it was Lambert Smith was the intended target and he got a hand on the football breaking backwards. He's got some athleticism and some range.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's active hands. Is one of the things that I put down when I watched him because I was watching the LSU game. When he's sacking Garrett and us in the process of sacking him, he smacks the ball out yep and gets a fumble. So now his versatility is what makes me like Johan Campbell so much. I've got a second on him. He can do so much for you as a pass rusher on the outside when you send him one of these blitzers. Conversely, in the game, he sets the edge really well. He's commanded in the middle. I'm pretty sure he wore the green dot for Alabama the last couple of years in the middle of that defense. But when he drops back into coverage, I think he's solid. He reads the defense well. There are sometimes where in the run game he he over commits or he takes a false step, sure and that and that catches him a little bit.
Speaker 11: Uh.
Speaker 4: And there's at times too where if offensive linemen are better blocking tight ends get their hands on him, he gets overpowered, I feel like, and just gets kind of thrown out of the equation. But for the most part, this is this is a player who I feel like is gonna translate really well.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I have a second on him, but I wonder if he tests really you know, like you know, really well, like I think he's gonna do like wo shrown, Like would he go late lay versus possibility?
Speaker 2: I think?
Speaker 5: And plus this linebacker plays is not great, so there's no wait until later to get a linebacker. I think Campbell probably goes late lay first, you know, late teens, twenties or something like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, uh, all right. Tell me about a Marion Hampton running back from North Carolina. One last one before we get out of here.
Speaker 5: DeMarco Murray Humbron, Oh, Marko Murray.
Speaker 2: That's who that is.
Speaker 5: I like that runner, blocker catcher. He's my running back too, and he's my running back too over Johnson because the blocking right.
Speaker 2: I put James Connor. So that's interesting that you put Murray there. Same thing, yeah, bumping, but because he's a big bruiser who can catch out of the backfield, thumping, whooping, pitching, big play and you know, you wouldn't categorize him as like a speedy guy, but he breaks over that open field and they and look, good job or you know, good luck tackling him right Like he's he's he's.
Speaker 5: Thumping at all levels. He's running linebackers over. He's running d lineman over and I'm just watching it like a goal line. Please, good luck to you.
Speaker 11: You know.
Speaker 5: So Hampton is a guy. I love him man, and I have a fear, a real fear that he's going to be going before the Cowboys get back to forty forty four. I think somebody like thirty eight gonna take him.
Speaker 2: I think I think it's right around way thirties. That's where I've got him as an early second.
Speaker 5: I got a fear, man.
Speaker 2: So what do you think, Brian?
Speaker 3: This guy plays with a burst, and I mean he tends to get the ball from a stationary position out of the shotgun, and then he starts downhill and he does a really good job of getting to and through the whole. The vision, the creativity to navigate through the defense, I think, the pad level, the balance. That's why I kind of saw when he watched me he looks like DeMarco Murray, Like say, it kind of runs like him. That that kind of style. Hard to knock off his feet, he keeps his momentum going forward. He could finish runs, contact balance, power to run through arm tackles, put a foot in the ground, make a read boom go zone runner. It's not going to make him miss a lot, but there are snaps where he broke in the open field and was run down. I worry about that. We saw that a little bit from DeMarco Murray at times as well. But he does a great job of catching the football. He's quick to take a pass then get up the field. He could pass protect too. He's got some pop to his game. So his running style, like to say, you know, it tends to be a little upright, not going to blow you away with his speed, Very steady, very productive type of guy that wears you down when you hand him the football.
Speaker 4: Miko, Yeah, he's He's my RB three behind JENSI and Johnson. Bulldozer is what I wrote down for him. I mean, in pass pro and in the run game. This is a guy who's going to set the tone for you coming out of the backfield, chips, pass protection. He's excellent, and I think these guys hit on the hit the nail on the head. When in terms of speed, you know, it's not breakaway speed, it's not you know, like I still my mind goes back to that Quid shot Judkins breakaway run in the National Championship game where he kind of gets hawked down. I think that if that's a Marian Hampton in that situation, he's going to score. So you know, it's plenty serviceable, and I think that it's definitely something that you can work with. But the only knock that I had on him is sometimes he gets a little bit too patient in trying to let plays develop. I don't know if you guys caught that as well, and sometimes it comes back to bite him, but I don't know. I don't know too much about North Carolina's offensive line either, so I don't know if that's a product of them. But a good receiver out of the backfield, smart player, so I like him a lot.
Speaker 2: I knocked his pass protection just a little bit, but it wasn't enough for me to be super concerned about it. I just put room to grow in past protection. If it wasn't for Ashton Genty and what he did at Boise State over these last couple of years, I think Hampton would be a household name because of what I think you need to learn about Johnson from Iowa, though he's fantastic, KAYLEB. Johnson is another name that we haven't necessarily touched on a whole lot. There's some good backs in this trip. Absolutely. I know watching always talk about you know Harvey from Central Florida. Yeah, I mean he might not be everybody's cup of tea, but watch him play kids. Impressive, no doubt. All Right, that does it for us here on the Draft Show. Hope you had some fun with this or with us this week as we break down whether or not mister Walker from Georgia is a linebacker or an edge rusher. We'll talk about it again on Tuesday till us in the chain if he's an edge rusher or a linebacker for Tommy ours. Brian brought us watch Lombardi Jasmine Marshall in the back of Kyle Yeoman, saying so long from the Draft Show. We will see you next week.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.