Speaker 1: Right justin middle of a field forty five to fifteen bring wress in front of a leading Lions.
Speaker 2: In his way.
Speaker 1: I am Jeff Joniack.
Speaker 2: Whitz is on, Donny go up? What was like playing for coache Good done. I don't want to answer any questions like that.
Speaker 1: Sixty one yards? What's Sunday stroll for?
Speaker 2: Justin field?
Speaker 1: Ye Bears et cetera with the voices of the Chicago Bears Jeff Joniac. The Bears may have only three wins, but they are unbeaten on Thursday Night Football as they knock out the visiting Carolina Panthers sixteen thirteen. A suffocating defensive effort and a very clean offensive effort as well, no turnovers, no sacks, and they get the victory. Hi, everybody with Super Bowl winning Bears guard Tom Fare. I'm Jeff Joniack, and welcome into episode thirty two of the Bears et Cetera podcast. God to be with you each Tuesday Thursday, but this week on a Friday after the Thursday night as we look ahead as well later in the pod at the Detroit Lions coming up on Tuesday, we'll interview Bears head coach Matt Eberfluss, who's at the podium on Friday breaking down the Bears victory. Steinhoffels is an employee owned furniture and mattress stove. Is it any of their four Chicago land locations in Vernon Hills, Crystal Lake, Downers Grove, and Horwood Heights or shop online at Steinhoffels dot com. It wasn't always perfect big time, but Tyson Bajen and the guys on the offense worked well with the defense and special teams came through as well, despite giving up a punt return touchdown to get to win. What are your overall views?
Speaker 2: You know, I was sitting there studying the stats of this game Japan. If you didn't watch the game and you just looked at the stats from outside, you would think the Bears won by quite a bit. And you know, they had one hundred and thirty three yards rushing to you know, I think less than fifty yards rushing by Carolina. You know, they just had the time of possession. They won by eight minutes. Like you mentioned, no sacks, A pretty game on offense, but you know it was uh, it went down to the wire and the Bears fought hard. I think that the defense is playing better. I think the defensive backs, the linebackers, and the defensive line are all complimenting each other well and hopefully that continues to improve. And uh, I think the biggest question mark going forward after this game is the quarterback position because you have the dynamic athlete and Justin Fields and you have a newly arrived Tayston Bagent and you're gonna have to you know, it's going to be interesting to see how Justin heels up through throughout a really important practice week.
Speaker 1: If the thumb is good to go and he's cleared medically, I would I would think he's going to be the guy to start against the Detroit Lions. You don't lose your spot due to injury, and that was an injury that's taken some four weeks now, but it's a critical one given the thumb, taking snaps, taking hits, the whole bit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, and after the four games that Tyson Beagent started and he wants who out of those four, I think there's evidence that he needs more practice time against the experience of some defenses that have an opportunity to work a game plan against him for the whole week. And I like where Tyson Vagen's earrow is going. But when you talk about Justin Fields and what he means to the overall performance of the offense, and considering what we saw on the Thursday night against the Washington Commanders, he can has an exciting relationship developing with DJ Moore. I think Darnelle Mooney has kind of burst out of the scene a little bit more since Justin has been injured. And we all know what cole Kmet is capable of, and they always have a reliable running game. So all those you know that you take into account, it's going to be interesting. But you know there's gonna be other positions that there's going to be interesting decisions that are going to need to be made that are really going to factor in the overall team performance of this group.
Speaker 1: I think you're referring to Herbert as one. He is about ready to come back. He has that twenty one day window to come back from his injury. And you know, Deontay Foreman has been a real, real impressive player, and I think players enjoy I mean, I read a quote from Darnell Wright talking about the way he runs the football as physical as he does. The quote if he's going to do it. I'll be damned if I don't go and do it that way. And that's what you want to hear from an offensive lineman with a running back that is a battering ram or as I referred to it as bully ball a few times last night. And I love the way he runs, but I also love the way Clill Herbert runs, and he is a game break threat in that backfield. Roshawn Johnson still finding his way back, and they will have big decisions at the running back position. You can't play everyone, and you still have the full back is going to be back at some point blasting game. You've got Travis Homer, you'd like to keep him on special teams, and Darrington Evans has done a nice job filling in. So it'll be decision time for Ryan Poles and Maddy Burflush for sure.
Speaker 2: But you know, Jeff, to me is one of the biggest decisions is going to be made that will affect this team as much as the running back position is the offensive guard position. True, because you know you have a free agent that you signed to a big money contract hopefully going to come back and get back in the competitive mix. You have Tevin Jenkins, who's playing as well as any offensive guard in the division, and luckily enough, he has some experience at the left side as well as the right. You have a season veteran like Cody Whitehair that can probably fill in on any position on the offensive line. But that is going to be a huge decision going forward, and I'm really interested to see what they're going to do about that. And now that all the defensive backs are back in the mix, it's going to be interesting to see if Tremade Edmonds is ready to come back on defense. So I think in this ten day window of opportunity, and I did ask Matt Eberflus last night when you and I interviewed him after the game, when is the process of this decision going to be being made. They're going to have a personnel meeting before the weekend begins, and then we probably won't know anything until next Wednesday, when that's the real reporting of any practices going forward.
Speaker 1: Let's look at snapcounts as we bring this Bears et cetera podcast to you take a chance download the Bent Rivers app today. So, as usual, TJ. Edwards plays he played every snap. Tyreek Stevenson Jaquon Brisker, a full return, Jalen Johnson, Kyler Gordon with sixty snaps defensively, so he was on the field for the entire game, and Eddie Jackson with sixty as well. And Kyler o'gordon is really playing like he was starting to play during training camp before his injury. He was all over the place. And they certainly as I used that word to describe Brisker a couple of weeks ago before his concussion, deployed Kyler Gordon as well. He hits hard, he's super athletic. He had eight tackles. He had some pass breakups too, So a lot of great things happen. And from that nickel spot, which means in this defense with Matt Eberflu's running, it is a good combo. He loves those nickels.
Speaker 2: Well, you know the thing that gives them When you have an athlete like Brisker and you have one like Kyle Gordon, you have the experience of Eddie Jackson, it gives you a certain rotation of the defensive backs that can keep a quarterback thinking throughout the cadence and maybe you can get into a chance where you know Tyree Stevenson should have had an interception last night, and I think there was another one who else, Sanborn? Sanborn, you know, could have had an interception. So now if you can take one of those two plays and get an interception out of it, you're talking about an extra possession for the offense. And you know, then there's a little bit of reluctancy by the opponent's quarterback to throw into those tight windows. So I like the versatility that it gives the back end of the defense, but I like more as they have a rotation of eight defensive linemen, who when they have that rotation on the back end of the defense, they can have a fresh group of defensive linemen up in front, one of them rushing the pass or trying to stop the run.
Speaker 1: And Gatkway had the most at forty eight sweat with forty four and at eight pressures according to the Next Gen Stats, that's huge. He is one of the top five in the league in that category right now, Justin Jones, who I thought a terrific game, got a career high in pressures. He was at forty one. Now this is where where it gets interesting. We talked about Javon Dexter getting more snaps and Zach Pickens. Pickens didn't get many more than a week ago he had twelve, but Dexter played nearly half the snaps he got twenty nine, and I think I felt his presence as well. He had three pressures and that's all. You know, sweat being the multiplier there, you got to pay attention to him, and it's helped everybody on the defensive line clearly it did.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, Rashem Green has a sec DeMarcus Walker's you know, he's has the ability to play up and down the line of scrimmage. Javon Dexter are starting to use his length as a real asset. And you see that from other defensive defensive linemen around the league, how they used their length to increase the competitiveness against the offensive linemen they're facing. So if Tavon Dexter is able to continue the improvement process, I think he'll probably end up getting more snaps and up and down the line of scrimmage.
Speaker 1: Rex and Jones got a good rating from PFF for his performance too against the pass rush and again no sacks by the offensive line, and yes they got one hundred and thirty three yards, but it needed thirty seven carries, and you know what, I don't care. I don't care what the yard for carry averages. The thirty seven carries was big, and that's what we called for. We called for that this and I hope it continues. If it's justin moving forward, or Tyson has to play another game, who knows. But I just want to see them continue to utilize those guys up front. It's what they do best. They get off the ball, they get in space, they can pull, they can do a great job getting out on screens when the timing's right. Just put it on the offensive line and put it on those backs to kind of set up the play action passing game and be better on first down and have shorter third downs. I'm okay. I don't know how you look at it.
Speaker 2: I agree, Jeff. Look, I love the whole stable of running backs the Bears have, and that's including Kyrie blasting game. If you even have to put a couple of those guys on multiple special teams in order to keep them active on game day, I would be willing to do that. Because Chubble Hubbard. Last night with Chubba Hubbard in the Carolina Panthers game. He's now elevated to one of their starting running backs. He's also on special teams, So don't take away or don't make a guy unactive on game day because you need a special team or I would be willing to put a running back in on special teams in order to keep them active so you have that fresh group of running backs that you can continue that running game process.
Speaker 1: It's just great to see the offensive line playoff seventy two snaps as a unit. There were no changes. I don't know how many times that's happened this season. Honestly, you know, all seventy two snaps, I can't recall. I'd have to go and look it up. But that was good. Of course, Dj Moore and Cole Komt they're going to be on the field for almost every snap. Sixty seven and sixty six. Moon he got forty eight the running game, you know, Foreman got thirty eight, Roshawan got thirty, Tyler Scott e Q Saint Brown he's got twenty eight snaps, Tenyon got twenty three. Mercedes Lewis in the run game with twenty so it's a good, good spread. I like the way everybody got on the field for this game?
Speaker 2: How about that? How about that fourth down catch by Tyler Scott? Though, if you want to talk about how do you earn extra snaps? Can we put you on the field and some of the most important down in distances and still consider you a reliable option. That fourth down catch he made and then took a big wallop after it impressive. And he had he had a nice, really nice wide receiver and around that was also impressive. So I guess the more you get involved in the offense, the more it challenges the defense to be aware of you.
Speaker 1: Two double digit plays right there, and he was I talked to him after the game. He's not gonna get a ton of touches. He knows that it had a big smile on his face. He was dressed in this all black Bears coat and shirt that the NFLPA sent him, and he was just I think he was just genuinely excited about getting a win, but also making two plays that moved the chains. They got first downs out of it. And there was another catch he made a couple of weeks ago. Same thing gets up in the air, I think embracing himself for a hit, you know, as he moves forward in his NFL crew, maybe doesn't go up in the air to get it. He just makes the catch and then you can make a play with it, but your feet on the ground. Oftentimes receivers do leave their feet and they don't necessarily have to. I'm not saying he didn't have to do in that one, but I'd like to see it because he's got the juice, he's got speed.
Speaker 2: Well, you know what I was, Jeff. I was also encouraged by his kickoff return because I don't really think you know a lot about a guy until you see him get a live action in game kickoff return. Is he going to attack it with speeding to try to make some moves on initial contact, and is he going to end the place safely with the ball into his hands. All those indicators initially are answered for me. It's difficult now because there's a lot of kicks that are not returned. However, the weather's going to challenge two speed. Huh.
Speaker 1: The weather's going to change too. You're gonna see yeah kicks.
Speaker 2: But it's nice to have his speed and willingness back there to be involved in the kicking game.
Speaker 1: We're brought to you by PNC Official Bank of the Bears. Let's talk about the defense because two point seven of carry a long run of nine. It's been outstanding all season long, the run defense, third down getting better. It's been a sore subject, obviously, but they did a nice job on third down. And I got to talk about their quarterback because we touched on it in the pregame. I believe just about the size of a quarterback gets a lot of attention. He's a sub six foot quarterback. And I saw this online today and I think it's from one of the guys, maybe it was Tony Zalas on the broadcast on Amazon. But you know, the idea is, you get a good quarterback in there, and then if there's not enough around him, and they gave away DJ Moore to get him, basically, they traded away, you know, Christian McCaffrey to clear the path to get a higher draft pick last year and to try to reload, and teams go through all these machinations to find the guy, and then there's not enough around him to actually have immediate success. So that's the thinking, and the quote here is then people begin to rush the judgment on the quarterback, and the quarterback then starts to think maybe he's not good enough, and he starts to lose confidence. He didn't look comfortable, and that's a credit to the Bears making him feel uncomfortable in the pocket when that pocket started to really act like a vice grip on him. You know, it's not easy seeing over six foot six players, and I think that really impacted him last night.
Speaker 2: Bryce, y'all no doubt about it, because again we talked about it in the pregame. When you think about the support and Cassidy played with in college, you play against a bunch of five star high school athletes that go on to have them play their career in Alabama. You're always playing on the lead. You're always being protected by an offensive line that doesn't allow a lot of penetration, so you have clear sight lines. Now, when you're the first pick in the NFL Draft, you're expected to elevate the talent around you, and I think it's going to be difficult when you know it's so kind when you say a sub six foot quarterback.
Speaker 1: That's just a you know, that's like better than me calling mcdy.
Speaker 2: Is a sub six foot quarterback, you know, and he got mad when he called them five nine and three quarters.
Speaker 1: Well, I remember Drew Brees at the scouting combine. He insisted he was six feet on. You know, the first measurement wasn't and he was livid.
Speaker 2: He was just mad.
Speaker 1: And you know that probably carried all the way through his great Hall of Fame NFL career. But I'll never forget being up here at Hallis Hall and I was working at another place. I had to do a TV interview with Kay mcdown when he got drafted. I said, and oh, here in Alisa with the little left. He cave mcdown and he shot a look at me like I just said, the worst thing in the world. He goes who you call him little, and he was looking down on top of me and he was a little bit bigger than me. But uh but yeah, you don't. You don't mess with the quarterbacks.
Speaker 2: You know, there's always a haunting measurement time in all of our lives, you know, for me and my high school program, I tell you, in my college program, I was always listed at six ' five because they just ask you how tall you are. Then you go to the combine and they make you stand up against the wall to pick your toes up off the ground. And then they stick a ruler on your skull and they measure you from that. In the first time they barked out six three and three quarters, I remember looking at the guy and I'm not six three and three. So whether you're you know what to jeff. The thing about it is when you get measured in those circumstances, it costs you money. True, That's why we all want to be taller than what we actually are.
Speaker 1: I'm five to seven and a half and that's on a good day, and I'm probably gonna be shrinking here soon at sixty one. But is You know, it's funny because on my board I always write the exact height that they give at the combine for players, and Tom sees my board he makes cracks about the three quarters of the six six three and an eighth, you know, like that matters. It might matter. It might be the difference between a tip pass and the defensive line or not.
Speaker 2: Who knows, you're right, you're right, But I guess when it affected me, you know, I took offense to it, just like Drew Brees, Doug Flutie, Cave mcdown, whomever we're talking about. We just happened to be talking about Bryce Young, who saw last night.
Speaker 1: I'd give anything to be six to three, trust me, anything in the world. So Bryce young fifty five percent completion against the Bears is worst since Week one and his debut against the Falcons. He did have one really good play and Brisker are coming over and coverage on Mike Strawn, the practice squad player caught a forty five yard pass. That's an unbelievable athlete from a small school. That was a great play. That was That was the first time all year year he made a play like that, So I don't know if this is going to be him or does he have it in him with better talent around him. And again that's their issue, not hours on our podcast. But I'm just curious because he was the number one overall pick.
Speaker 2: I think it was a great pass placement because when you look at where that pass was, it was in the direction of going to the sidelines towards the hands of the receiver. So if the receiver wouldn't have caught the ball and it would have tipped off his fingers, it would have harmlessly bounced out of bounds. It wasn't in the field of play, so I think it was a really smart pass by Bryce Young to give his receiver that opportunity where it's either going to succeed or failure or and the success is going to be a great catch.
Speaker 1: Good news, Chicago United Airlines is getting brand new planes with all the bells and whistles like Bluetooth connectivity screens at every seat in the room for everyone's rollerbag. United Proud to fly the Chicago Bears and you too. Let's talk more about the defense and just in general. As Maddieberflus pointed it out, first time since nineteen ninety eight, zero sacks allowed, no turnovers, and no touchdowns allowed by the defense. It also happened on your nineteen ninety one team, So congratulations, no sacks allowed and no turnovers for your offense. I don't know who it was against, but I know what happened in nineteen ninety one. But that's the kind of complimentary football that he wants to play. And there was a situation where the Bears did for six punts, but there was one starting field position was the Carolina thirty eight. After a nice punt by Gil and the Bears drove the thirty eight yards and nine plays. That was the only touchdown of the game, Deontay Foreman's four yard run. They have to do more of that, the more complimentary football. And I know people get weary about the cliche of coaches and they talk about complimentary football, but it is a fact of life. Any football, you got to play complimentary football. And I think for the most part last night the Bears played complimentary football as best as they could.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know what I think on that touchdown drive, I think, to me, the best play of it it was the touchdown run by Deontay Foreman, all even though it was only a couple of yards, because if you look at his last muscular effort to get the ball across the goal line before his legs touched the ground, it was a really great move and it was a great display of power with defenders on top of them to get into the end zone. It just kind of gives you a little snippet of the desired Deontay Foreman has with the ball in his hands.
Speaker 1: I know you watch the tape. Well. The offensive line played well. Blocking Derek Brown was going to be a challenge. They didn't have Brian Burns. They were down to backups at so many positions. They're already down three starting line back the top three outside land backers aren't playing, the top inside linebacker isn't playing, their top two cornerbacks aren't playing, and one of them is not going to come back. But Derek Brown's good. He had ten tackles, two tackles for lost, and two quarterback hits. What'd you see how to deal with him on the interior.
Speaker 2: You know, he's a guy that the Bears tried to single block every once in a while, and you know, a couple of plays he beat Tevin Jenkins, one of them being a tackle for loss. But when you're talking about a six three to two hundred and forty pounds player that has great maneuverability, whether he wants to play to the outside edge of the guard or on the interior or the defensive line, he's rarely is the focus of the point of attack because you're not going to get great movement against him. He's more the type of player that you would like to kind of steer clear of and go to the outside or the opposite edge of him. But you know, he's like the other dominating defensive lineman that we've seen throughout. You know, our lifetime in the NFL that you're going to have to be aware of him. You're going to have to understand the formations you use offensively to put him in the worst possible position, and then you're going to have to run some plays to try to tire him out a little bit like they have this year in the Raiders game or some of the other games out there, that they've really tried to use that outside edge, and that's kind of similar what you're going to have to do this week against Detroit is really take advantage of that outside running game with receivers, running backs and anybody else who can get out there.
Speaker 1: After watching so much of this season, knowing the personnel as you do and what they're best at, what, in your opinion, is the Bears go to running play?
Speaker 2: Oh that's a good question, you know. I again, I think it's personnel, you know, dictated. If you have a good dynamic defensive tackle, that quick pitch when they say they're in shotgun formation, the running back is lined up to either the right hip or the left hip. The quarterback gets it and pitches it out immediately because they have good tight end blockers all you know. Eighty five eighty four eighteen. Steven Carlson played you know eighty eight last night. So they have good edge blockers, but they also have good offensive tacks that could pull and get to the outside to lead the immediate sweep. Plus they have offensive guards that can be able to get outside if they want to run a guard let sweep. Plus they have screenplays that can work the edge. But to me, if there is dominant interior defensive lineman that quick pitch to the outside, and then if there is a better outside contained running the defensive ends, they have the ability to have really solid power double teams created maybe by a Darnell Wright and Tevin Jenkins that they're really well organized about getting movement on the first level defensive tackle and still getting one of the two athletes up and getting a second level block. And we've seen a lot of those plays. You know, the one in New Orleans that Deonta Foreman was tripped by a shoelace tackle and got up punching the ground because he knew that was going to be a touchdown. That was an inside the tackle really over the outside shoulder of Tevin Jenkins. So a lot of it is personnel dictated, but I think the Bears and Chris Morgan, the offensive line coach, are fortunate that they have the personnel that they could take advantage of their most vulnerable defensive spot.
Speaker 1: Well, we really didn't talk about last night. On third and seven, the last snap that could put away the game, and I kind of already had given my fade to black after the missfield goal, the long field goal attempt by Pinero, which is not good because there was going to still be time on the clock, and I just kind of assumed a little bit too much there. I think he thought to Orange, I did both.
Speaker 2: I did both. I did both.
Speaker 1: I think it was the exuberance of finally getting a victory again, but doing the math and knowing how the defense played, I didn't feel a lot of comfort in the fact that or scared. I wasn't scared the Carolina was going to be able to move the football, but you just never know you could get a deep penalty and set up a field goal to tie the game.
Speaker 2: Whatever.
Speaker 1: So Luke Getzi, I think deserves a lot more credit. We didn't really touch on it. Third and seven, and that's situation, and again it's a group think. It's a decision you could either run the ball and punt or go for it on a pass. And I think that third and seven was a really gutsy, getsy call and it was executed perfectly by both the quarterback and the receiver taking the pop in this case, Darnell Mooney, were okay with the decision. Did you think it was the right decision and would you do it that way again?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was okay with the decision. They were getting good pass protection by the offensive line. It was evident all night because there was times that Tyson Beagen may have been holding onto the ball a little bit too long. However, in the biggest moment of the biggest play really to decide the game, Tyson Bagent stood back there confidently with good protection up front, and went to a really trustworthy receiver in Darnell Mooney, and he delivered the ball that it was going to be first touched by the offensive player, and then it was a gutsy catch by Darnell Mooney. So yeah, I'm glad the fact that they stay aggressive, because there was a play earlier in the game in the third quarter when it was third and eighteen and they ran a draw. I didn't like that play. I thought, you know, there's an opportunity there with so many, you know, with the DJ Moore and the Darnelle Mooney and Cole Kamet and Tyler Scott, that they could have gone for some type of pass over the middle with you know, to see if they could get a big first down at that point. So yeah, I can disagree with some plays, but I agree with that play.
Speaker 1: So in the retrospect now of four starts in a quarter and a half, I guess of playing time for Tyson Bage. And he went from this unknown that few people outside of Chicago knew about from Shepherd University to being on the set of Amazon with all those guys and the ex players and Andrew Whitworth and Tony Gonzolez, Richard Sherman. Richard Sherman, that's who the quote. That's the quote that I gave earlier. That was Richard Sherman. Now that I think about it, about quarterbacks, and he should know he tried to take away a lot of balls from quarterbacks back in the secondary. But he was on the set with Bears fans going crazy at the end of the game at Soldier Field. But that is a big, long, big hop from one extreme to the next. And now you know, we don't know he may not play another snap this season. Have we learned enough to know enough about Tyson Beagen's future in the NFL regardless of where on the depth chart that is, Is there enough to him that makes you feel really good that he's a Bear right now as an undrafted rookie free agent?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, I think Tyson Beagent most importantly has given himself an indicator that he belongs in the NFL. And if you give him the opportunity to study the rest of this season going to the offseason, and you know, I don't, He's never going to be a guy that needs to be encouraged to be in the weight room and be in shape. You know, that's the standard that he lives by. So everything that Tyson Beagen has learned about himself and what he's going to do in the off season to be become more educated about NFL defenses, about a better understanding of the Chicago Bears offense, about the job requirements, I'm all in on Tyson Beijen and I hope he has an opportunity to be a Bear for a long time in whatever role he achieves.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I certainly, if I'm looking at it from an analyst perspective, feel very comfortable with him being on that depth chart. He just there's just something about him, for sure. Busy Heart Seltzer, the official Heart Seltzer of the Chicago Bears. Let's touch on special teams before we wrap up and give a quick sneak peek of Detroit. Kyro Santos deserves a ton of credit for that fifty four yarder that became a forty nine yarder because of the Cody Whitehair penalty, and he nailed it and went three for three. He's had a really good season. He's had a really good time as a Chicago Bear, and he's really kicked well in Soldier Field and then cleaning up the punt return that was, according to Next Gen Stats, the third most improbable punt return touchdown since twenty twenty one because Smith Marsett. Smith Marsett ran seventy nine yards for the touchdown, but actually traveled one hundred and six and a half yards from snap to score at nineteen point five miles per hour, so he avoided Josh Blackwell. It was coming in strong and then got past Patrick's scales. But there was no lane integrity in that return and he just ran away for the touchdown that was the only one of the game for Carolina. Those two components of special teams, what were your thoughts.
Speaker 2: You know, it was a banger punt. And the thing about it is when you have a punt that carries significant distances and maybe he doesn't have the hang time attached to it, there's a certain separation to the first line of defense and the aggressiveness of the returner. When he sees those open lanes, it's full steam ahead at attacking the goal line. And I think that's what happened. It was the per for combination of a long punt and a returner that was hungry. Listen, it's not a weekly occurrence. We're not sitting here talking about, oh my god, another punt return against the Bears. It's just that happened to be a punt return against the Bears on Thursday night football, when scoring, you know, was the priority because you know, there wasn't a lot of points scored at that point, so you know, you give credit where credit is due to the returner. But I don't think it's something that Richard high Towers special teams. You know, are you know, under the gun because this is a regular occurrence about Santos. I can't say enough about the kid, you know, you know, kickers kind of have a thankless job, and I give him a hard time, probably as much as anybody. But when he was backed up five yards after making a big kick, and again we talk about how important points were in this game, I you know, I admire him and he's got a lot of courage and he went out there without hesitation and bang that next kick and you see the results of it.
Speaker 1: Bears fans, you can be there for live NFL action all season long. Is the official ticket marketplace of the Bears and the NFL. Ticketmaster has a wide selection of tickets available for every game. Find tickets today at ticketmaster dot com. Slash Bears. It's a weekend off of rest and recovery for the Bears. They'll be back Monday and they got ready for the Detroit Lions. Should be getting some news by midweek. As Tom mentioned at the outset of this podcast on Justin Fields and a likely I would say return, but who knows. It's up to a lot of different factors. But let's take a look at the Detroit Lions. I begin with the line of scrimmage, and their offensive line is highly regarded. It's done a great job. Jared Goff has done a great job. Jamiir Gibbs and David Montgomery doing a great job. And then you got to always be aware of Aiden Hutchinson. On the defensive side of the ball. They're starting two rickeys, one inside linebacker, a strong side linebacker, I should say, and Brian Branch this nickelback that they have. But they've got mojo and they're going to be home in a really raucous environment.
Speaker 2: Yeah, when was the first year that you were in Detroit Stadium?
Speaker 1: Well, I mean the new one.
Speaker 2: No, since you've been going to nineteen ninety seven, Okay, since nineteen ninety seven, Jeff. This is gonna be your loudest experience you've ever had inside Detroit Stadium, and it's probably gonna be the loudest I've ever had since nineteen eighty five. And I think that is a real weapon nowadays, because when you talk about Dan Campbell, the head coach who will never be in a stance, and the change of a culture and the way the Detroit fans feel about them, we've seen them travel on the road better and we'll see a reflection of it. So it's something that the Bears are going to have to be able to overcome. Organize snap count on the line of scrimmage so you don't play into the hands of a guy like Hutchinson, and then you're gonna have to be able to attack Jared Goff, get to him and make him look like a slow, older quarterback by some pressure in challenging his his fundamental foundation throwing position. They have a good offensive line, they have a good running game. David Montgomery, ex Chicago Bear, is over there, so I think it's going to be an emotional game for him, sat Eq Saint Brown's brother is over there. Emotional game for those two in their parents. So there's these little different elements and factors that will play into the game, but you kind of don't recognize them because you know, you're not aware of how much the crowd contributes to good defensive football play in Detroit until we're up in the booth, you know, hearing it from above.
Speaker 1: And the Bears trying to stop yet one more losing streak, and that's in the division, eight straight consecutive games lost. The Lions going to LA to meet the Chargers tomorrow, so they'll have a long wide back before they take on the Bears. The Lions at six and two on top of the division. All right, that's going to wrap us up for our podcast. Appreciate you so much for joining us. For Tom There, I'm Jeff Joniac. Thanks for listening. Our next Bears et cetera podcast dropping next Tuesday after our interview with Matt Eberflus. Thanks for listening. Please subscribe now on the Chicago Bears official app, Apple, Spotify, YouTube, or wherever you get your podcasts. Bear down, everybody,