Speaker 1: Coach, the energy out there felt different. What changed for the team today?
Speaker 2: It was the new game day scratches from the California Lottery players.
Speaker 3: Everything.
Speaker 4: Those games sent the team's energy through the roof.
Speaker 1: Are you saying it was the off field play that made the difference on the field.
Speaker 4: Hey, little play makes your day, and today it made the game.
Speaker 1: That's all for now, Coach, one more question play the new Los Angeles Chargers, San Francisco forty nine ers and Los Angeles Rams scratchers from the California Lottery. A little play can make your day. Peace made responsibly. Must be eighteen years or older to purchase late or claim.
Speaker 5: My graduates from my school being forced back drop.
Speaker 4: Bag drop, Mike drop back drop b drop.
Speaker 2: Have you shared in this episode of Personal Opinions and Not endorsed by Google or Google Pay?
Speaker 6: Thanks to Google Pay for sponsoring this episode. Alright, guys, welcome to a very special episode of Early a Lisia. So you know, this is something that we haven't done in the past, but we're looking forward to where we're going to talk about some real topics related to finance that you know people have questions about, people always ask, but nobody really ever touches these things. So we're gonna get into it. And you know, we got some familiar faces that's joining us today.
Speaker 3: So legends in the game for sure.
Speaker 6: So the first one. If you're watching Lisia, if you have watched Lidia, I'm pretty sure you get very, very familiar with Kizzia. She has been on market Monday, she's been on Earn Alesia, and she was a start investvest So yeah, the Holy Trilogy. So yeah, I'm pretty sure you know Professor Keys if you're on Instagram, if you follow Earn a Lisia, it's just killing the game. A brilliant entrepreneur, extremely gifted and talented. Uh you know, one of the best speakers that we have come across, and she really really knows her stuff. So teaching, teaching, entrepreneur, teaching financial literacy, there's no one better in the game than Professor Keys. So uh, Professor.
Speaker 3: Keyese, it's gonna be fun.
Speaker 6: Welcome, Welcome back to e y l Hi, guys.
Speaker 7: It is a pleasure to be here with the ghosts the greatest of all time. Y'all know, I absolutely love you you guys, and I love giving you all hugs, hugging your nack in Atlanta. Congratulations on all of your success you already know, I mean your stories, I mean your timeline, I mean your feed. So thank you so much for having me back on the show. I can't wait to have conversations about taboo topics related to money.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is going to be fun, and we brought some folks along with us.
Speaker 2: So I wanted to give a quick shout out to the good folks at Google pay for sponsoring this episode and your Lidia. Y'all know if you don't Google pay, is it safe and simple and helpful way to manage money? And since we always talk about ways of making money and how to earn money right earn your Lesia, it's the most important that we know how to manage that money. So Google pay is an app that can definitely help you with that. It gives you insight into your spending through features like weekly summaries, tracking trends over time, and showing what you spent at every business so you can do what you really want to do with your money.
Speaker 3: I remember you come from the days of where you kept every receipt after you spend none of those days.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so when you got to app like Google pay, do all that and one another thing that it does track is obviously you're spending.
Speaker 3: Since we're on the.
Speaker 2: Road a lot and we eat out all the time, you get to see what the money is really going.
Speaker 3: Man, So remember what we got to come back on them spending for our food and we got to fix our eyes.
Speaker 6: You get to track everything that you spend, So shout out the shop to Google. The Google always decided the time, So yeah, yeah, a Google pay. So let's get into this. So all right, we're going to talk about a variety of different things today and it's going to be a free flowing conversation. So the first thing we want to talk about is financial etiquette as far as like what's table right, because this is something that's extremely important not only for adults, but for adults that's teaching their children. And I feel like children learn about financial literacy through us, through adults, through their parents. So sometimes I feel like we're teaching children bad habits without even actually realizing. So I'm going to talk about a couple of different things. I want to get your opinion, and I want you to rate these things on the taboo scale, one being not tabled at all, ten being extremely table, and then I'm going to ask you, you know, if it's the wrong way to actually phrase the question, what will be the right way to phrase the question? So the first one that I want to ask you is this.
Speaker 3: We got to see if she's ready?
Speaker 8: You ready, I'm ready.
Speaker 7: I feel like this is double Dutch and I'm on the outside. Just kind of do it like this like tack me in, guys on.
Speaker 3: That was a rhetorical question.
Speaker 6: We always the first one. This is something that I actually recently gave a Ted talk about this. I used to always ask adult this all the time and I got I never really got a real answer. How much money do you make? This is extremely important question. I'm going to explain is why this is important because I feel like, especially for children, in order for them to aspire to be something, it's good to actually have a gauge of what to expect. So it's like, all right, you might want to be an architect, but how much money does an architect make? Depending on how much money an architect makes, that might determine if you actually want to be an architect or not. So it's easy to find out how much a sports player makes because we could just look and see how Hey, Lebron James makes forty million dollars a year, so that's easy. But you know a lot of these other professions are not listed and you don't know. So when I used to ask these questions a lot, you know, sometimes people tell you, but a lot of times they'd be like, you know, that's rule, don't ask adults, and even as adults sometimes, like being a financial advisor, I used to have to sit down with clients and I would ask them, you know how much money you made? After a while, people started telling me. But a couple of times people would get a little nervous and they'd be like they were it was weird. So I could tell that they were wired from a young age to not not to discuss how much money they make. So how do you feel about that? Is that a taboot question to ask or not?
Speaker 7: Okay, So I'm gonna write this guys, and Rashad you've already kind of tap into it. On a scale from one ten, I would rate this like an ad like a nine, maybe nine.
Speaker 8: And a half.
Speaker 7: And the reason why I say that is some of the reasons that you already alluded to, and it's that I think that society sometimes erroneously associates someone's personal wealth but the economic value that they create specifically in the workforce, and we know that this correlation is absolutely incorrect.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 7: People can create value in many different ways, both inside and outside the workplace. So when we enter into conversations and we know that this is very much a taboo topic, I think we enter into what some folks call the numbers game, right, where the person who has the highest number is somehow perceived as being the winner, that number being your wage and your salary, and those folks who have the lower number, right, those folks feel a little shame, maybe you feel a little disappointment because you feel like you can't compete with that individual. But here's the thing, right, there are so many different ways in which salary and earning can be influenced.
Speaker 8: One of those things is negotiation.
Speaker 7: But there's also a few things that you can't really control to a certain extent.
Speaker 8: Office politics.
Speaker 7: We know offices have their own little political ideologies and the ways that people operate.
Speaker 8: There's also the wage gain.
Speaker 7: So people of color and also women specifically are affected by that. I'm a black woman, I've been affected by that. But then also company budgets. So when you think about the social sector, there are people who create maximum value in really phenomenal ways, but the way in which the budget is set up, perhaps they can't be compensated to the extent to which is they contribute. So when we're talking about the numbers game, one of the things that I think is it becomes taboo because people are trying not to.
Speaker 8: Quote unquote lose.
Speaker 7: On the other hand, though, I think it's important that we absolutely have those conversations. I was reading or report by Society of Human Resource Managers and one of the things that they said is women negotiate their salary. Only forty five percent of women negotiate their salary.
Speaker 8: And when you're talking about.
Speaker 7: Men, sixty eight percent of men negotiate their salary. And the way that you come in at a job, that starting salary can influence the ways in which you earn over the years.
Speaker 6: Well, let me just follow up on that, because that actually fly a follow up. So negotiation of job this is also a very awful conversation. I want to ask you a two part questions. The first one is going to be from an employee standpoint. So when you're at a job, interview and you get through all of this situation and all of that, at what point should you ask how much you're going to be paid? Or should you say this is how much I would like to be paid, because this is something that's real. You know, everybody's kind of nervous with their job, so a lot of people are going in and they're scared to say how much they want to be paid. They don't even ask how much, and then it's like you just take whatever is offered to you. So at what point should you bring up salary and how should you bring that up?
Speaker 3: And then we got to rate that because that's a great question. But on one to ten, what are we going with this?
Speaker 7: Yeah, well, I mean I think it's a not for a table conversation, but we have to rate the extent to which you should be asking the question. It should be an absolute ten. And I think that's where the research comes into play. And you always like to say, don't swim in the ocean of knowledge and drowning ignorance. You want to make sure that you're doing your research about that particular position even as you're applying to the job. But you also want to find people who are in that industry and you want to have a courageous conversation. Maybe you don't approach it like young ershad and you say, hey, how much money you do?
Speaker 8: You may, but you.
Speaker 7: Say in context, I'm trying to enter into your industry, right, and I see the position that you work.
Speaker 8: I aspire to be where you are.
Speaker 7: Can you give me the range in which people in this position make in regard to salary. What I've learned is sometimes people are more comfortable to give you a range. Remember they're making one hundred thousand dollars, but they don't want to tell you that, and they'll say you can make between ninety one hundred and fifteen. You pair that up with the research that you find on the internet, and I think that sets you up in a good position so that when you go into the interview, you can ask what are they offering?
Speaker 8: And you know, at least from your negotiation position, what may be fair or not.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm going to go back to the beginning question because twenty years ago, that's exactly how I got into the professional teaching. I asked the teacher, my favorite phys that teacher, I said, how much you make? He told me one hundred and fifty thousand. I said, you.
Speaker 3: Can make that as a teacher, and he told me again he had a whole plan.
Speaker 9: This was it.
Speaker 3: He had base salary, which is one hundred and twenty. He had been working for twenty five years.
Speaker 2: And then he coached sports that he thought nobody really cared about at the school. So he was the golf coach in our community. People weren't really playing golf. He was the bowling coach. We didn't even know we had a bowling team, and ye had soccer coach, and so he combined all those salaries, and I said, that's what I want to be. And so I'm glad that you asked that shot, that you asked that question and the way your answered perfect. But I'm going to ask you one and you can rate this one to ten on taboo because how much you make is important, But how much do you owe is another conversation that we really have and it can be a little country and be a little embarrassed. But how you rate it and how do we ask this in a more comforment.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's a really good question. I would say I would rate that up at a nine or ten. A lot of us experience a lot of anxiety, you know, as it relates to money, right, And a lot of that anxiety is triggered by life experiences.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 7: Maybe you're going through a divorce. You're trying to figure out how much just separation is going to cause. Maybe you spend all the way up to your credit limit. Right, maybe you're behind on your car payments. And a lot of this has to do with, right, the money that you owe or that you could owe, And a lot of people feel a lot of embarrassment around that because they think that people might judge them. I think the way in which you approach that conversation is going to go back to the C word that I mentioned earlier, and that has to do with contexts.
Speaker 8: Why are you asking me?
Speaker 7: Like when you ask that question to another individual, is it because you're asking that question because you want to support them? Are you asking that question because you would like to share information? Are you asking that question for real practical things like maybe you're in a relationship and you're about to move in together. Right, you're thinking that you're about to get into a relationship get married to somebody, but you're marrying them and you're marrying their earning And also their debt and so having that type of conversation can help sex you up with the type of financial plan to platform you in a position where you can be successful. I think context around the ways in which we manage currency is the best ways in which we can have these conversations.
Speaker 6: Let me ask you this for business owners, this is another awkward conversation to have when people ask how much are their services? And I see this all the time. People kind of get nervous. Some people say, you can give me what you think is worth. People they'll say, like, well, it's cost this, but for you, I'll do this. Like I feel like this is extremely important for entrepreneurs to be confident in their in their price points. So how do you develop confidence in your price points? And how do you know? Because I know why people short change themselves because they're thinking that they're going to say a number that's too high and people are going to walk away and they'll rather take some money than no money. But doing that actually compromising the business and technrituy. Really, what's your advice for business owners?
Speaker 7: Listen you speaking my language. Now, that's entrepreneurship. I always tell folks, if you are selling a product or service, then nobody wants to buy.
Speaker 8: You don't have a business, you have a hib B.
Speaker 7: But on the other hand, sometimes you absolutely do have a business, but you have the wrong customer. As an entrepreneur, it is absolutely important that you price the product according to what it took for you to craft that product. What are all the materials, right? What are all the services that you have to pay for in order for you to bring that product to market. After you do that, you have to the type of customer for which your product or service is a solution. And when you find that person, it's important for you to understand this. You need to charge what it costs, unapologetically, and they need to pay what it's absolutely worth. I heard you mentioned, Hey, you know, I know these individuals right pay you know whatever it is because we have a relationship.
Speaker 8: But here's the thing with friends and family discounts.
Speaker 7: Right one, there's a lot of people asking for the friends and family discount and they're not even related to you.
Speaker 8: And number two, when it comes out for.
Speaker 7: Friends and family discounts and people pricing out products, they weren't there when you started your t shirt business and you had to figure out whether it was going to be direct to government print, whether you had to get an envelope, whether you was going to stamp it, whether it was going to be a drop ship. They weren't there looking at your cash flow statements, cash and cash out, So asking them to make a business decision as a consumer, it's just not the right entrepreneurial approach.
Speaker 3: You professor keys for nothing.
Speaker 8: What I had to fend the family discount.
Speaker 7: I was like, listen, I just grewen these and just that y'all trying to, you know, snatch them out.
Speaker 6: Listen, crazy family they just met yesterday exactly.
Speaker 3: We passed that segment with flying colors.
Speaker 2: We're going to move on to our next sevent It's called best move, worst move, And so a lot of times we have a relationship with money.
Speaker 3: Could be positive, it could be negative.
Speaker 2: But everybody's gonna have a relationship with it, and everybody's gonna have a journey that comes along with it. So I want to start with what is the best move somebody can have in the beginning or in the middle part of their financial journey.
Speaker 7: I always tell people that you have to put your money to work. I like to think of my money as a person. Right in my financial life. And what that means is that money can't live in my house and not go get yourself a job. What what I mean by that? That means that your money needs to be going to work for you and your savings account. Right, are you saving money in an account that accrues interest?
Speaker 8: Right?
Speaker 7: Your money needs to be going to work for you in investments, however, that looks like whether you're investing in real estate or whether you're investing through.
Speaker 8: A brokerage account. Inflation is real.
Speaker 7: I mean this year, I think they're estimateing that inflation is going to be between four percent and six percent. And that means that your dollar today is not worth the same as your dollar last year.
Speaker 8: So how is your money going to work?
Speaker 7: In investments where the returns can be much higher than what inflations could be ten percent, twelve percent? That is money going to work. Finally, you need to be thinking about how your money could be going to work in multiple streams of income. I have perhaps a similar story to you, Troy.
Speaker 2: I don't know, but.
Speaker 8: I was working a job for a little bit.
Speaker 7: I got hired into the job as an events manager, and I inherited a really talented administrative assistant we work together for two years.
Speaker 8: She went and she found another position, another job.
Speaker 7: But when she left, she said, now I'm going to make sixty thousand dollars. It's ten thousand more than what I'm making now, which would have been fifty thousand. Well, the crazy thing about it is at that time I was making forty two thousand dollars. My administrative assistant was making more than me for two years. And when I heard that conversation, one of the promises that I made to myself. One, I would be having a courageous conversation as it relates to negotiations. But two, I need to make sure that I put the money that I'm earning to work in a side business, in a side hustle. The thing that I want people to realize and understand when it comes down to best money moves is that if your money is in your house, eating up all your food, drinking up all your water, leaving your lights on, running your life, buila, then your money is proverbally under your mattress.
Speaker 3: So all right, so those are the best moves.
Speaker 2: What are some of the worst moves that people can make and have made in their financial journce.
Speaker 7: I would say this not getting all up in your money's business. And I don't know how y'all grew up in your household, but this is how I grew up. We don't lock no doors in my house because when you lock a door in your house, when you a child.
Speaker 8: Gets taken off the hinges.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 7: When it comes down to privacy, of course, you want to respect the privacy of your child. But if you're you know, paying all the bills in your house, let me tell you something, there's not going to be too many secrets up in that house. I think sometimes when it comes down to money, people make guestiments when it comes to spending and also when it comes to earning. And so I'd like to tell people you need to get all up in your money's business.
Speaker 8: What does that look like?
Speaker 7: So we're talking about savings, people say, okay, you need to have three to six months worth of emergency savings. In order to calculate that, you need to understand how much you make each month.
Speaker 8: Have you taken a critical look.
Speaker 7: At your earnings, at your deposits and also looked at what you spend so cash in and cash oh, and gotten.
Speaker 8: Down to that bottom number.
Speaker 7: That's a big reason why like Google pay because you can see the money that you spent. You can also search like deposits, and it lets you know how many deposits have come in and you can also see what you spent. The other thing is I think it's important for you to understand if you're investing in let's say you're retirement, so an individual retirement account of four one K, four three B. Have you opened up that account and started asking yourself critical questions about the mutual funds or the securities in which you selected, right, So that's getting into your money's business, like do you know why you chose that mutual fund?
Speaker 8: Do you know why you want.
Speaker 7: To invest in a specific index? Also, separately, as it relates to a side business, as I've brought up earlier, you need to make sure that you're understanding how much money your side hustle is bringing in and also how much your side hustle or your side business is costing you. And I think the applications work very well in helping you understand the ways of which you can manage your finances.
Speaker 3: Every dollar as a worker.
Speaker 8: What better way to say, yeah, you can't set up now.
Speaker 6: All y'all work in I'm gonna just follow up on that real quick before we leave this segment. You have mentioned something that was very important. You said that it's important for people to know like what they're invested in, and you mentioned the four one K, and that's something that's extremely important because most people, the average person, that the majority of their investment portfolio is in retirement accounts and that most of their net worth is in a retirement account or their home. That's the average Americans network is tied up in those two things. But a lot of people don't have any idea what they're invested in their four one K. They don't even know, like you know, what their options are. They just money just comes out of their paycheck and that's all they know. Can you just give them a little like education on how to actually go about investing properly in a retirement plan?
Speaker 7: Absolutely first, though I want to I'm going to talk of then in a second. One particular rule that I think is of importance and relevance to this conversation that brings a little more structure and parameters in.
Speaker 8: The ways of what you manage your money.
Speaker 7: Is a rule that I follow that has helped me get to the financial place that I'm in now, and that is the fifty to thirty twenty rule. Fifty percent of your money should absolutely go towards what your needs are. So those are the bills that you have to pay, making at least the minimum contribution on your credit card, or the payment on your credit card, that's paying.
Speaker 8: Your rent or your mortgage.
Speaker 7: Thirty percent of your resources should go to whatever your wants are.
Speaker 8: So what are those ones? Is that a subscription you.
Speaker 7: Know that you're paying for, Is that you want to go turn up at brunch with your friends every other week? And then the final twenty percent is exactly what you just asked about with Shad, and that is your savings. And when you hear savings, you automatically think of a savings account. You should absolutely have one of those, but it also relates to your.
Speaker 8: Retirement account as well.
Speaker 7: With your retirement account, you can look at your four one K, your four O three B, your TSP which is your third savings plan, and also your i R which is your individual retirement account as the vehicle, but what fuels the vehicle are the mutual funds that you select. So there's two ways that you can look at that you can look at perhaps investing in a fund that tracks your age, right, so that specific.
Speaker 8: Fund, a target date fund.
Speaker 7: You invest in that fund, and the fund managers as you get older, your investments in that fund become more conservative. When you're younger, it's a little more aggressive, so the fund ages with you. Perhaps when you're younger's investing in equities and stops, but when you're older, they're investing in more conservative assets like bonds. But you can also invest in funds that follow major indices.
Speaker 2: A whole lot of game, profess, we got one more set, and you got some time.
Speaker 3: For us a whole so I do.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it is.
Speaker 9: You got here.
Speaker 3: We're gonna call this questions for Keys. That's what we're gonna call this segment.
Speaker 10: Questions You're a little bit, A little bit so we don't go with some scenarios and case studies, and I want you to point a pinpoint some important questions that people should be asking if they're in those situations.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna start with one that's near and dear to me, and that's understanding your student loans. If we're in this situation, what are the questions we should be asking in the scenario.
Speaker 7: Okay, so that is near and dear to my heart as well. I think it's important for you to know whether you have a federal loan or whether you have a private loan, because the ways in which you pay back those loans may have different parameters. Right, So, if you have a federal loan, perhaps there are some assistance available to you, like right now with headlining in the news the public student loan forgiveness. If you have a federal loan, a specific for or a loan, you may be able to work at a nonprofit organization, You may be able to work for the government, and if you make one hundred and twenty qualifying payments that could be used towards.
Speaker 8: Potentially getting your student loans forgiven.
Speaker 7: One of the things you should also understand is what type of repayment plans are available to you.
Speaker 8: You can repay based off.
Speaker 7: Of the income that you earn, but you could also repay based off of other methodologies. Another question that I would ask in regard to student loans or what are some ways that you can pay off your student loans early. I was able to pay off my student loans before ten years and a big reason for that is I started a nonprofit organization and a for profit business. Two years after I graduated from school and the money that I earned, I specifically asked my loan service provider if I can make those contributions towards the principle balance of my student loan, and that helped me reduce my balance in a more significant and sustainable way so that I paid off a little bit earlier.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm glad that you brought up that point about one hundred and twenty qualifying payments because if you have been paying attention, that has now changed.
Speaker 3: The literature has changed on it.
Speaker 2: The way that they now define qualifying payments has differentiated from how it used to be. Whereas when people were applying a couple of years ago, no one was getting accepted. Right, So now you got one D twelve, one hundred and twenty qualified payments and plus ten years of service. Like you said, depend on your profession, you can be forgiven. So keep me so with that point.
Speaker 6: Yeah, So another big one. What question should you ask or what should you know when you are in the process of buying a car? Extremely extremely important.
Speaker 7: The first question you should ask is what is your credit score? I think that that is one hundred percent important. And one of the things that I didn't know until I was in a market to buy a home and also a new vehicle. Shout out to Asada, that's the name to my car rip. She died a couple of weeks ago.
Speaker 3: But I've heard.
Speaker 7: Is that there are different credit scores assigned to different assets like your car and also lack, your home. And so when I was going car shoping, just like when I was going house shop, and I went and looked for the specific fight folks score that was associated with that particular asset.
Speaker 8: And one of the things that people.
Speaker 7: Don't know is sometimes that score might be a little higher than the score that you might see and experience equifacts, et cetera on just a general level.
Speaker 8: So that would be one question I would ask.
Speaker 7: Second question I would ask, is is this something that you could really afford comfortably? So we talked about the fifty to thirty twenty rule, right, so fifty percent is dedicated towards your your needs. And so are you buying a car because you want to flex, right, and so you're trying to buy at the top of your budget? Are you buying a car that you absolutely can afford? And a way which you can determine that is making sure again that you get all in your money business and you know the cash coming in and also the cash going out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm saving the best for last. And we spoke about kind of sharing with other people. So what are the questions you should be asking when you're sharing your expenses with someone a spouse, a girlfriend, like when when and when's the appropriate time to do it? What are the questions we should be asking?
Speaker 7: You know, that's something that I'm still exploring, you know, out here, Sigle in these streets. When I have a conversation with someone who I'm getting serious about, I think it's important to make sure that your financial philosophy is as compatible as you are as people. Right, So perhaps your values around money may differ from the person with whom you're dating, and I think the ways in which you can have that conversation a lot of it has to do with what I think is again contextualizing conversations. If you want to move in together, you want to have a conversation about how much you're earning, but you also want to have a conversation about who's can distributing, and then how much is it going to be fifty to fifty, Is it going to be sixty forty? Is it going to be a seventy thirty split. You want to have a conversation about credit scores, you know, I think that that's important. A lot of people leverage credit in order to buy assets, right, But if one person has an excellent credit score and the other person does not, then that means perhaps you're only leveraging one person's credit score over the other, unless.
Speaker 8: Of course, you add them as an authorized user to your account.
Speaker 7: I think the other thing is you want to have conversations perhaps about some of the different things happening in the news, right, So instead of it seeming like a Q and A like an interview, perhaps you can look at what's happening on some of these major network and when you have those conversations, sometimes the values come out.
Speaker 6: So then you have it. Ladies and gentlemen, pess the keys always a pleasure certified gym drop plas.
Speaker 8: Thank you so much.
Speaker 9: For having me.
Speaker 7: Guys, you already know I want one hundred percent support are your leisure Thank you Google pay for having us for a real deal conversation and I look forward to continue conversations you.
Speaker 2: Have, Thank you, thank you amazing.
Speaker 6: Yes, yes, so for the second half of this show, we are bringing on another heavy hited. This is a highly inticispendable situation. Yes, it was only amount of time. Anthony O nil for a long, long time number one bestseller killing the podcast game. That's why I used to I used to see him as a competition on the podcast. So it's not the word time, first time that I got familiar with him, but really dynamic business leader, thought leader, and he also has a very good way with words, very good.
Speaker 3: Or accomplished speaker.
Speaker 11: Yes, oh yeah, this is this is like I said, I know people have been anticipating in this collaboration for a while, so I'm glad that we're able to, you know, do this and hopefully this could be the startup a lot of other things that.
Speaker 6: We can do together. So first and foremo Anthony, how are you, brother? Thank you for joining us. Appreciate it.
Speaker 12: Man, earn your leisures man. There's no competition, brother. You know what I'm saying, y'all are earned your leisure. So y'all, y'all are the goats right now. I'm coming for you. But you know what I'm saying, I respect the generals in the space. Man, such an honor to be on y'all platform.
Speaker 3: Bro, we appreciate you being. Congratulations on everything man.
Speaker 12: Man, thank you all so much. Man, appreciate what y'all doing for the community. Uh, invest fast was off the chain, man, so again, solute, thank.
Speaker 6: You, thank you, thank you, brother, appreciate that. So all right, so let's jump into this, Troy. Yeah, first segment.
Speaker 2: So we had a few segments with the Professor Keezier Williams prior to you coming on, and we got a couple of seid is you want to do with you now?
Speaker 3: The first one I'll call this cannot afford this right now? All right? So exactly that's what's it.
Speaker 13: This episode is brought to you by P and C Bank. A lot of people think podcasts about work are boring, and sure they definitely can be, but understanding of professionals routine shows us how they achieve their success little by little, day after day. It's like banking with P and C Bank. It might seem boring to safe plan and make calculated decisions with your bank, but keeping your money boring is what helps you live or more happily fulfilled. Life, p and C Bank Brilliantly Boring since eighteen sixty five. Brilliantly Boring since eighteen sixty five is a service mark of the PNC Financial Service Group, Inc. P and C Bank National Association Member fdic Ernest What's Up? You ever walk into a small business and everything just works like The checkout is fast, the receipts are digital, tipping is a breeze, and you're out the door before the line even builds Odds are they're using Square. We love supporting businesses that run on Square because it just feels seamless. Whether it's a local coffee shop, a vendor at a pop up market, or even one of our merch partners, Square makes it easy for them to take payments, manage inventory, and run their business with confidence, all from one simple system. If you're a business owner or even just thinking about launching something soon, Square is hands down one of the best tools out there to help you start, run and grow. It's not just about payments, it's about giving you time back so you can focus on what matters most ready. To see how Square can transform your business, visit Square dot com, backslash, go, backslash eyl to learn more that Square dot com backslash go backslash eyl, don't wait, don't hesitate. Let's Square handle the back end so you can keep pushing your vision forward.
Speaker 9: You just realized your business needed to hire someone yesterday. How can you find amazing candidates fast? Easy? Just use Indeed. Stop struggling to get your job posts seen on other job sites. With Indeed sponsored jobs, your post jumps to the top of the page for your relevant candidates, so you can reach the people you want faster. According to Indeed data, sponsored jobs posted directly on Indeed have forty five percent more applications than non sponsored jobs. Don't wait any longer, speed up your hiring right now with Indeed, and listeners of this show will get a seventy five dollars sponsored job credit to get your jobs more visibility at indeed dot com slash pod Katz thirteen. Just go to Indeed dot com slash pod Katz thirteen right now and support our show by saying you heard about Indeed on this podcast. Terms and conditions apply. Hiring Indeed is all you need barely question.
Speaker 13: We start right away, so we're gonna be discussing how to determine whether or not.
Speaker 2: You can afford different financial commitments by taking on honest look at your expenses.
Speaker 3: Are you cool with that?
Speaker 12: Yeah, let's do it, man, let's do it. That's hand some fun. I'm gonna be real. Now, y'all may not agree, but I'm gonna be real. I'm gonna keep it real since it is a real deal.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 6: So first one that I want to start with. This is probably the most common thing anybody is faced with. Vacation trips just happens all the time. You know, whether it's college kids a spring break, but it's adults going on a destination wedding that they really can't afford but they don't want to. You know, financial pair pressure is a very real thing. So how do you feel about vacations that you may not be able to afford?
Speaker 12: I mean, here's the truth. I love vacations. I'm gonna keep it real with you. You know I love them, But I also love staycations. Now, staycations is when you know I may not have the financial means to go out of state, to go out of the country because I'm focused on my vision for my life. So if your vision is to get out of debt, if you're married watching this and your vision is to build your first home, or maybe you're single and you're like, yo, my vision is to pay off my student loans. Well, you may need to step back and look at your budget and see, all right, cool, can I go on this vacation or should I stay on this staycation? Maybe just go to the hotel downtown and save me three grand and put that towards my debt.
Speaker 4: So you got to really ask yourself can you afford it?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 12: If you were on my show and you telling me you're drowning in a bunch of debt, I'm gonna tell you now you really can't afford to do nothing, No dates, no ice cream shops, pretty much nothing.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 12: But you know, right now, the key thing is what's your vision and make sure that everything that you're doing is aligning to your vision and helping you get there and not slowing you down or preventing you from getting there.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I'm glad we're having this segment with Google pay because obviously that's going to help everybody see the financial situations a lot clearer.
Speaker 3: And I know you're a death free guy. You don't like living death free, you like living death free. You don't like having debt as part as the portfolio.
Speaker 2: So this is another key one, right, Like vacations are important, but deciding when to buy or can I afford to buy?
Speaker 3: Versus am I going to have to rent? You know what?
Speaker 12: Man, I think one thing that we really got to have a conversation about, especially within our culture, is that there's nothing wrong with renting. You know, I think buying is is very important because ownership is very important. I want to be clear up front, owning your home, ownership in general, owning your business, et cetera, is very very important. But you want to make sure that you're not house poor. And what I mean is you go out there and you get this great mortgage, this huge mortgage, this beautiful home, but you can't afford to put a bed in your bedroom, You can't afford to put a couch inside of the living room, you can't afford to cut the grass. You are scared to cut on the water because you're already maxed out. And so what I tell people is again, step back and look at your budget. And what I teach people is make sure that your mortgage is less than twenty five percent of your take home pay. Now if you're going to stretch it a little bit past that.
Speaker 4: That's cool. I'm with it, but ballpark even with me.
Speaker 12: I'm right at about twenty two percent with my personal mortgage, but that is the only debt that I actually rock with. But there's nothing one with renting. Rent until you are ready to purchase a home.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 12: One of the key things I'll tell people is how do you know you're ready to purchase a home? Key thing is do you have twenty percent to put down on your home? You guys know this because if we can put down twenty percent, we'll avoid a p and mind that's a private mortgage insurance. So if we avoid that p and mind, that can save you anywhere from one hundred up to five hundred dollars if you're going through the FAHA route.
Speaker 4: So that's one key. Number Two key is you know, do you have enough money.
Speaker 12: To at least get you into the home and you have six months on reserve to where if you lost your job during the transition, if the pandemic hit again, at least you have something to get you and your family through. So there's nothing wrong with renting, y'all. To be real with you, I've been making my kind of money now for about six seven, about seven years. I just for purchased my first home about four years ago because I wanted to make sure when I got in my home, I had the bread and I can afford it, and I was at peace every time I walked into my home.
Speaker 6: So let me just follow up on that real quick. So you said you said twenty percent.
Speaker 4: Right, twenty five percent of your take home pay, so all right?
Speaker 6: So, and take on pay is extremely important because you could be getting paid ten thousand dollars a month, but your take on pay is seven thousand, so maybe.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 12: And they keep in mind too, the banks, y'all know, if you use worked for the bank man, they're going to approve you off of your gross income. They're not going to approve you off of your net income. So that's why it's very important for you. Before you get your pre approval, you sit down, you look at your budget and say, no, what I can afford three thousand dollars a money. You take that to the bank, tell them send me a pre approval based upon that right there, nothing more, because if you can, if you know you can afford three thousand and let's say your gross is eight thousand, they're going to approve you at forty five hundred to five thousand dollars mortgage payment and you don't want that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's extremely that's a gym right there. I just want to take one minute to just let that soak in because I shot to our part of MBO mortgage. He always talked about that old time. Don't be house rich in cash poor, and a lot of people are over extending themselves for their dream home but they really can't afford it. And what you said is extremely important. You get a mortgage based off of your gross, not your net. But you don't live off of growth, you live off of net. So it's up to you to actually have enough financial responsibility, enough education to understand that even though you're getting a mortgage for one hundred thousand, if you're only taking home sixty five thousand, you got to work off the sixty five thousand, not one hundred thousand.
Speaker 3: All that's a big fan.
Speaker 4: Well, that's big facts, man, big facts.
Speaker 2: And I want to go to one because this one's personal. It's there and there I actually went through it. Can I afford a new car?
Speaker 3: Right now?
Speaker 2: I'll tell you and Rashade was there when I did it. I said, how much of the payment that kill me? Five hundred and seventy four dollars a month? I said, man, I'm only making twelve hundred a month.
Speaker 3: Let's do it. So if I can I afford this right now, a new car, that's a scenario.
Speaker 12: Hey man, Now this is where people may hate me when I say this. Listen, if you have to finance it, you can't afford the car. My own personal opinion is if I can pay cash for it, I got a fully funded emergency fund. I can afford whatever I can pay cash for. You know, I just purchased my dream car. Maybe about what's February February sixteenth is when I purchased my my dream car. The cars is a depreciating asset in my in my personal opinion, and so if I have to finance it, if I have to finance it, then I can't afford the car.
Speaker 4: So I went financial freedom.
Speaker 2: That was the wise word. They said, if you can't buy it twice, you can't afford it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, jay Z is the man.
Speaker 6: So you don't believe at least in cars at all.
Speaker 12: No, I don't, man, And I know on the business side. I know Professor Keys would probably go off on me, you know, but you know, I understand. I understand the business method, and I don't knock people who who belie even that method. That's totally totally cool, you know. But for me, I just believe in ownership. I believe in owning everything that I have. I don't do any debt. I pay cash for it that you have it?
Speaker 6: All right, let's move on.
Speaker 3: Yeah, man, And this one I haven't experienced in about ten years because I've been a married man. But let's talk about dating.
Speaker 4: Oh nah, man, let me all right. End of the show, brother, end of the show.
Speaker 3: Will we face out of dating? Can we afford it? Now? What's going on? Give us some advice?
Speaker 4: If you just started dating, can you afford to date? Man? You know, here's my thing.
Speaker 12: Man, If you can't afford to pay your bills at home, then you can't afford to day. If you're struggling to pay your life bill, if you're struggling to you know, put food on your table personally by yourself, then not you can't afford to day. If you can't afford to even feed yourself, now you can't afford today. But if you got it, man, go out there, get you a date. I'm trying to get me a date, to be honest, So I want you to date. I want you to find someone. You know, we all need our helpmate, we all need our soulmate. I just want to make sure though, like when we do actually find the person, especially as a man, we're brothers. I'm gonna keep it real here as a brother, let's just make sure we're in a good place, at least a stable place financially when we do start dating.
Speaker 6: Let's let's talk about moving on from a dating conversation to the wedding conversation. And that's something that This is something that's extremely important because etiquette is something that I realize not everybody has because not everybody is taught etiquette, and unfortunately a lot of people just don't know. So when you don't know what to do, you do what you know. So this is a big issue. It's a big issue. So okay, let me ask you this question. If you can't afford a wedding gift or in a appropriate wedding gift, should you go to the wedding? Should give a bogus gift? And I'll give it to you later when I have it. What's the etiquette for that man?
Speaker 4: Go to the wedding, you know, really you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 12: I mean my thing is, go to the wedding if you have the right motives. You know, I don't want you to be focused on like, well, I don't have any I don't have any money, so.
Speaker 4: I don't want to go.
Speaker 12: No, go, because your prayers, your support, your mission to help them win is more important. Now give them look a bit of something something, give them a card. Don't go there, you know, empty empty handed. But you don't need to go there with a big old thousand dollars gift or the big old box gift. Now give them something that comes from your heart and they'll receive it. Well, I remember I went to a wedding and I didn't have any money. Actually made a card and a girlfriend at the time who I was dating, she actually gave me a very creative idea. And you'll believe it or not, it costs me maybe seven dollars to do that whole gift. And they sent both of us a letter saying thank you so much because they really felt it came from the heart.
Speaker 4: And it wasn't just a gift just to be a gift.
Speaker 2: I'm glad that with Sean, I'm glad you brought up the word etiquette because we're gonna move right to our next seven perfect segue.
Speaker 7: Man.
Speaker 2: The next seven we're gonna do, Anthony. It's called money manners, right, So that's all about etiquette. So this segment, we're gonna ask you some questions about etiquette when it comes to money. So I'm gonna start with all, are you ready for this?
Speaker 4: Yeah, let's good.
Speaker 3: Okay. How late is it too late to pay someone back.
Speaker 4: On time? That's too late?
Speaker 12: I mean, if you pay me back on the date that we agreed, I think that's too late. You know, I think you should be focused on, you know, getting me my money back or giving I don't really loan out money.
Speaker 4: If I give you money, I'm giving it to you.
Speaker 12: I don't expect you to pay it back to me, because I just believe that just messages up friendships and relationships. So if I can't afford to give you the money, I'm not going to give you the money. But if you did agree to pay someone back, here's what I want you to do.
Speaker 4: That's your number one assignment.
Speaker 12: Don't go by nothing to eat, don't be going out on dates, don't be spending any extra money nowhere else. If your friend loans you money, if your family loaned you money, you know you agreed to pay them back by X date. You'll try to pay them back before then. If you cannot, then you need to have a clear conversation with them, be like, Yo, I'm struggling. Here's where I'm at. I just want to over and I want to over communicate and be honest with you and just let you know, Hey, this is where I'm at.
Speaker 3: I hope everyone's listening.
Speaker 2: I'm sure somebody has a friend right now that is like I'm that person or this person owes.
Speaker 6: Me let me ask you this. As far as the relationship conversation is concerned, I believe forty eight percent of marriages that end in divorce are because of financial reasons. It's like the number one cause divorce. A lot of these issues are because the conversation was never brought up at the beginning. So there's a lot of issues that people have in relationships. Like some people want to have joint bank account, some people are strung against that. Some people believe that you should only pay cash for things and have no debt. Some people believe that you can have that and just use your credit card. So a lot of issues come in relationships, but nobody ever really talks about it until they actually get into it. So what are some ways how do you start the conversation about finances when you're courting somebody, when you're in a relationship, At what stage should you start and how do you start?
Speaker 12: You're not so funny, man, I just did a show on that, bro and I think the opinion is not popular, But I believe before you get into any committed relationship, you should have a serious conversation about finances. Because you're right, nearly forty eight percent of them marriages in because of money. Now check this out. It's not because of the lack of money, it's because of the thought process behind the money. And so it's very important to know upfront, do we align with the same vision when it comes to our money. You know, are we on the let's avoid debt track or are on the I want to just use other people's money to build wealth. Now, whatever side you on, just make sure that you are aligned on the same side when it comes to finances, when it comes to raising your children, when it comes to your spiritual walk, you know, you just got to really just have the healthy conversation. So for me, I suggest, if you're dating with the intent of settling into a committed relationship that ultimately leads to a marriage, before you get into a committed relationship, have the conversation, and the conversation is simple. You know, can we just talk about your vision? What's your vision for your life, what's your vision for your family, what's your vision for your finances? What are some of your goals. Do you want to build a home, do you want to have multiple homes? Do you want to pay for your kids college? I mean, do you want to leave a legacy? And I think that's the easy way to have the conversation without going into I know, Professor Key said that talk about the credit score and stuff like that. For me, I don't care about your credit score. I don't know what's up here in your mind? What exactly do you do? And then honestly, where do you spend your money? You know, I would definitely ask some do you have the Google pay app? Can we look and see where do you spend your money? You know, you know, But at the same time, I mean, I just think the conversation has to happen because what you don't want to do is get married. Then you have the conversation, and then you find out that you're lin aligned and going in the same direction.
Speaker 4: That's where the start of divorce starts happening.
Speaker 12: So before you get committed, before you fall in love, before you all get deep into this thing, have the important conversations. And one of that is and where do we staying when it comes to our finances?
Speaker 2: Yeah, this sounds like a conversation that we're happening at a nice restaurant, you know, in top of the line of food, maybe some red wines on the table.
Speaker 3: My question is when we come to money, man, is what's the out of care for? Who pays for the date? Man?
Speaker 4: Are we talking about the first day?
Speaker 3: Bro?
Speaker 4: We're talking about like any dates?
Speaker 13: What we're talking about, Well, let's start with the first one and hopefully we get to some more.
Speaker 3: Right, this might be the reason we don't get number two.
Speaker 12: One of my godsister, she went out in the first date with this guy and she didn't have any money. I literally gave her some money and said, he listen, he's going to pay for the date. But if something goes down and you're uncomfortable, leave your half, call me and I'll come get you. So I want to make sure our queens are prepared. But at the same time, brothers, listen, first date, take her out. Now, check this out. I'm gonna be real and pot myself on blasts on earn your leader's network, your.
Speaker 4: Boy, Anthony.
Speaker 12: I'm not spending no more than fifty dollars, two one hundred dollars on the first day. I'm not dropping two three four hundred dollars on the first day.
Speaker 4: Broft, fifty dollars.
Speaker 12: Man, We're going no, no, no, not See, That's what I'm saying. It's like, I don't want to go for me. I don't want to go to a restaurant on the first date and we're sitting across the table and we're a little uncomfortable with each other, just staring at each other, eating food, having to talk loud over the people that's in the restaurant. So I want to get creative and I want to find something. What does she enjoy? What is what is I want to see her personality. I want to see Can she smile? Can she laugh? Can she have a good time? I'm always serious. We're always serious. We do this for a living. So I want to go somewhere we can actually have fun. I can see her character, I can see how she laughs, I can see if she can have fun, and let's do that. Then the second date. I'm a wined diner. But the first day, I just wanted to get to know you. I want to laugh, I want to smile. I want to see can we vibe? And then we go from there. Now we're talking about a fifty seventy five dollars a day. That's fun, that's creative. I put effort into it. I'm going to plan the whole thing out. I'll get a second date. Don't get it twisted.
Speaker 6: Let me ask you this. This is a big question that once again, not a lot of people was taught tipping. Tipping is extremely important and I was always taught, you know twenty that's like will dump, but that tipping waiters is only one part of tipping. Yeah, you tip your driver? Do you tip your the guy that takes your your trash out? Like at the end of the year, do you get like do you tip? How do you go about tipping, how do you know if it's the right amount to tip? It becomes very complicated. Like even the kid the bus drobbers for the kids, Yeah, they got to get tipped.
Speaker 3: Yeah. At Christmas time, I tip the bus line.
Speaker 6: So so yeah, what's the etiquette on tipping?
Speaker 3: Man?
Speaker 12: Tipping is very important. Tipping for me is just showing your your generosity spirit. I'm very big on being a giver. I believe it's best to give than it is to receive. So I tip. You know, I tip like crazy restaurants. I try to do my goal depending on where I go and how much money and much bread, I drops about thirty to forty percent for me, because when you tip, then every time you walk into that establishment, every time you walk into that restaurant, now they're going to take very good care of you because they know, hey, yo, Anthony just tipped me thirty percent last time, right around the holidays. I love to get about fifty percent, but bare minim, like you all said, twenty percent. That's your barber, that's your bus drivers, that's the guy who cuts your grass, that's the young lady that's watching your kids, your babysitters. You know, I have a dog, and so every time I drop her off when I'm out of town, I tip them. You know, I just want to show people that, hey, I am grateful for you taking care good care of me. And I know people who are living off of tips. Their base pay is horrible, so let's help them out. And let's that's be a good blessing. But really bare minimum twenty percent. And any time you can tip within your budget, make sure you're tipping. If you can't afford to tip, man or a woman, just don't go to that establishment.
Speaker 3: Oh man, that's some sound advice. Sound advice, man. So if you can't hold it the stake in tip people down on that dude. All right, we got a few more mens with you. We're going to do a lightning round.
Speaker 4: All right, you ready for this? How how fast? How fast you want me to go.
Speaker 3: With the answer as fast as you can? And then we're just going to ask your next one. We're gonna start the lightning around. Are you ready, my man? All right? All right, here we go. All right, here's the first question I'm throwing at you.
Speaker 2: All right, what are some options to start creating generational wealth?
Speaker 3: Man?
Speaker 4: Ownership?
Speaker 12: I mean, for me, it's going to be eliminating that. Get you a fully funded emergency funds. That way you're not going back into that and start taking advantage of like your fro one cage, your your wroth I rays, maxing out your some other growth mutual funds, and getting into some land. You know, one of my mentors said, hey, it's not just about actually buying property, it's also about buying land. So if you're looking for wealth and true wealth and long lasting wealth, purchase some land because you know, hey, we can't make no more land. We can build buildings. So if you get that land, let it sit, pass it down to your kids. Now you're talking about true generational wealth. So the key thing for me when it come to building wealth, it's about eliminating that, making sure you have a solid plan to fall on a case of emergency and start ownership.
Speaker 6: Let me ask you this, how much money is wealth? This is an interesting conversation because everybody gauges wealth differently, but you know, we all have aspirations of being wealthy, a lot of us so, but it's kind of hard to do that if you don't have a measure in stake. What is wealth?
Speaker 4: What is what is wealthy man. Wealth to me is way more than just money.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 12: I'm gonna keep it above with you actual, I'm gonna keep it real since it is, it's a real deal. Wealth to me is about options. Wealth to me is about peace. Wealth to me is about education. Wealth to me is about influence. But since we are talking about money today, a simple basic understanding when it comes to wealth, how long can you last without physically working or physically having to make money. So, if you have enough money in your savings account to last a year, you're wealthy for one year from a financial perspective. But if you have the education, if you mind your business, which is our mind, you know, and your mind is your number one asset your business, if you continue to grow this, you'll be wealthy forever. If you continue to get the education, if you continue to rock out with Google pay, if you continue to watch earn your leisure and then come check me out at the table, you know, we will help you get the education and the information to build long lasting wealth. And I just want people to hear me when I say this, wealth from a financial perspective is, Hey, how long can you live without physically working and doing anything to make money. But when you really look at it, well, for generational wealth is what are you passing down to your kids, not just financially. You can give them a million dollars, but if you don't give them the education and the information and the opportunity to take that million and flip it to two three million, you're not passing them down wealth. You're just giving them opportunities that more than likely they will lose it. When there was a study that came out said the first generation makes it, the second generation maintains it, then the third generation they lose it. And why do they lose It's because they didn't have the education. They didn't have the wealth of knowledge to maintain it. So wealth is not just about money, It's all just about the education and the information.
Speaker 3: I used that quote a lot.
Speaker 2: The first generation works hard, the second generation gets to see the hard work. They add education plus experience to it. The third generation never just see the hard work, so they end up spandering money. And I'm glad you brought up the word education because my next question is coming directly from that topic.
Speaker 3: Why isn't financial literacy taught in schools? What's your thoughts? Man?
Speaker 12: You know, I'm frustrated about that because it's funny. Education is teachers how to read, write, process information, and add they're giving us this information so we can go off to school, get an education, rack.
Speaker 4: Up in debt so we can get a job.
Speaker 12: So education from a school perspective is to get a job, and a job and or business produces what income. So it bothers me that our schools are not teaching us how to be good stewards of the income that you're giving us the education to get. But we got to start changing that around. We got to start doing more stuff like this with like what Google pay is doing today, and start bringing education to the table.
Speaker 6: Let me gonna ask you this as far as for parents allow I never had an allowance growing up. So how do you feel about allowance? How do you feel about chores? Should should children get paid for things that they should already be doing, like making up their bed? Is allowance a hindrance? Is chores good?
Speaker 3: Bad?
Speaker 6: What's your thoughts on that?
Speaker 12: You know, bro Man, I grew up in a very strong, strong home man in a very spiritual home right, and my mom and dad said, I remember going over to my best friend's house and his Dad paid them twenty dollars for keeping his room cleaned all week. So I came home and I said, Mom and Dad, where's my twenty dollars? My mom and dad said for what it was like because I made up my bed all week, and said, I'm not going to pay you for what you need to be doing and what you should be doing. But what I will do, go out there and cut the grass. I'll pay you.
Speaker 4: As a matter of fact.
Speaker 12: Go out there, get the lawnmower, go across the street and ask your neighbor can you cut their grass? And you'll get paid. I think we got to start teaching our young people, you know, commission base rather than chore base. You know, what they do inside the house, that's just part of them because the world's not going to pay them for making up their bed when they turn twenty five years old. The world's not going to pay them for washing their own dishes. So we got to start raising up our child, our children in the way that they should go. So I'm commission based. Hey son, hey daughter, I'm not going to pay to do this around here, because I'm teaching you how to be an adult when you get older, when you get your own home. But let me teach you how to be a young teen entrepreneur. Let's go get you a dog walking business. Let's go get you a cutting grass business. Hey, you know what you're real good at hair, Let's go get you a hair business at fifteen years old. Let's start teaching our young people that money doesn't grow on trees, and it doesn't You don't get money just because you're my child. Now, you do have privileges, and I will give you some of those privileges, but I'm not going to make your life easy simply because you're my child. You're going to work for it because your mom and dad had to work for it.
Speaker 6: That's very profound. I had just spoke about this all the day, and I feel like that definitely can hurt a child. And when I used to love when it snowed because I used to shuffle my neighbors cars out. And you make a couple hundred dollars on a good on a good day, and I feel like stuff like that you start developing an entrepreneurial mindset as opposed to just being handed things that, like you said, in the grand Scheme of things, are kind of like trivial things that you already have to do in life anyway, like wash the dishes, things of that nature. Yeah, so now you're already kind of developing a dependent employee mindset as opposed to a business own an entrepreneur mindset. So sometimes when we think we're actually helping people, we can actually be hurting them.
Speaker 4: Absolutely absolutely.
Speaker 12: You know one of my kids that I mentored, he made five thousand dollars last summer just from walking dogs.
Speaker 4: Just from walking dogs.
Speaker 12: He made enough money in one summer to go buy his dream car for his age, just simply because he said, Hey, you.
Speaker 4: Know what, I'm gonna go out here and walk dogs.
Speaker 12: And some of those people who are saying you can welcome, they said, hey, can you watch my dog over the weekend since we're going out of town. His mom and dad turned their backyard into a kennel. But we got to start teaching our young people at a young age how to be entrepreneurs, how to think about ownership, so this way they can start producing money.
Speaker 4: And I think we got to start doing that with our young people.
Speaker 3: That's a great example.
Speaker 2: I'm glad that you that you used that right because you said he saved the money to buy the card that you want it. So what are some strategies What can you do to save money when you don't make much money?
Speaker 4: Number one, go make more money. You know what I mean. Let's be real.
Speaker 12: You know, it's like, let's never say that we cannot make any more money.
Speaker 4: We can make money.
Speaker 12: But one of the key things that I'm very very big on is two things, budgeting and Google pay. I want you to get on a straight, solid, zero based budget. You can list all your money, list all of your expenses, and it's your equals zero. When you're at your expenses, go over to Google pay. Look at all of your money that you've actually been spending. When it comes to your debit card if you got a credit card, you know, look at all the ways you're spending money. And so that way you can see, okay, hey, where can I cut off at? You know, I'm spending too much money on food, I'm spending too much money on you know, these particular apps. So how you can save money is by looking at your detailed budget and see where where can you eliminate some things from I do that often, and I do it at least once a quarter person with myself, really look at your budget.
Speaker 4: You can go from there.
Speaker 6: Let me ask you this before we rat. Everybody talks about generational wealth all the time. It's a very catchy phrase. But what are some practical steps that the average person can take to start the path of creating generational wealth?
Speaker 4: Man? I think the first thing is education.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 12: You know, I think oftentimes you want to jump in like, hey, how do I get more money? How do I flip this money? But the key thing is where there is no wisdom, where there is no knowledge, that's where people perish. And so I think that if we can honestly get the if you really want to build true generational wealth, you got to start, you know, listening to podcasts. You got to start getting the education, reading the books. So that way, when you do get the opportunity to start, you know, investing into certain things, start a business, you have the education and knowledge to keep what you actually are.
Speaker 4: Able to get.
Speaker 12: So I think number one is get the education. Number two is I'm very big on it, y'all know me. You got to eliminate that. You got to take debt off of the table, so that way you're moving forward not paying for your past. And when you start doing that, A prime thing man is start investing, take advantage of you know, your four to one k matches if they have, you know, a wroth. There's three things when it comes like to four one k. I always say, look at the match, first, look at the wrath, then look at the traditional you know, so max that out. I always say to invest fifteen percent of your income you know, so that can either go to your four one k, then go over to like a wrath of wroth ira or traditional ira, depending on where you are. You can do that and then start looking at ownership, businesses, land that kind of stuff. But the key thing I want to tell you upfront is get the education. Get the information. Because you can be watching er your leader, you can watch myself, you can watch professor Keys, you can have Google pay app and see where you're doing. But if you don't have the information and the knowledge and continuing to grow your business, which is your mind, your number one asset, you'll never get there because you don't have the information to get there.
Speaker 6: All for words, allords, did you have, ladies and gentlemen, I appreciate it. Words of wisdom from the Great Anthony O'Neil. We call that cough talk, thank you, thank you, And like you said, it comes down to education. And I think that you know, we're in the age now where you can't really make an excuse, not like you know previously, you know you could make an excuse for not knowing, but now you know, we're in the information age where everything is readily available to you on you know, YouTube, Google, social media apps, podcast apps. It's just a matter of how you use it. You can use to waste time and do a lot of frivolous nonsense, or you can use it to educate yourself. So you know, we just have to make the right decisions. And you'd be surprised how many doors education can actually open. It kind of sounds stable, it's true. The more you know, it's just like it's like mind blowing, you know what opportunities present itself, because it's opportunities in front of you right now, but you're just not able to take advantage of it because you're not educated, so you don't even realize the opportunities actually there.
Speaker 3: The more you know, the more you know, that is a fact.
Speaker 6: That is a fat fact.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, And there was a lot of actual items giving out today.
Speaker 3: I want to again thank Professor Keys Keysier Williams and Anthony on Neil, but just delivering some powerful insight.
Speaker 2: And as we always say, man, we can give you the information, but don't turn it into information overtle, don't hoard it, actually.
Speaker 3: Apply it and execute on information. Right.
Speaker 2: We always say information is on us, executions on you, and those words live true today and I want to thank them again for come along.
Speaker 3: I appreciate you.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I feel like today was a very important day because we always talk about a lot of complex stuff like you know, stock marketing options and things that nature. But these are like regular everyday issues, topics that get looked over a lot, but they're extremely important. And you can't build the house but not a solid foundation. So all of this stuff is solid foundation work. So it's extremely extremely important that we cover it.
Speaker 2: So yeah, and again I'm glad we got to do it with Google pay because that is one of those tools that can absolutely help you. And I know that's one of the things that we work on ourselves, is like being more organized, and so having all your financial uh portfolio right in front of you and having it done in a very helpful and simple way is extremely beneficial.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I want to thanks Google Pay for sponsoring this episode of Anglesha. This is really fun, man. We gotta do this again.
Speaker 6: For sure, for sure. Thank you guys for rocking with us. We'll see you next week.
Speaker 5: Piece my graduates from my school being forced back drop drop drop.
Speaker 9: You just realized your business needed to hire someone yesterday. How can you find amazing candidates fast? Easy? Just use Indeed stop struggling to get your job post seen on other job sites. With Indeed sponsored jobs, your post jumps to the top of the page for your relevant candidates, so you can reach the people you want faster. According to Indeed data, sponsored jobs posted directly on Indeed have forty five percent more applications than non sponsored jobs. Don't wait any longer. Speed up your hiring right now with Indeed, and listeners of this show will get a seventy five dollars sponsored job credit to get your jobs more visibility at indeed dot com slash pod Katz thirteen. Just go to Indeed dot com slash pod Katz thirteen right now and support our show by saying you heard about Indeed on this podcast. Terms and conditions apply. Hiring Indeed is all you need