Speaker 1: The Red Weather is a work of fiction, and the resemblance to actual persons or events reflects the adaptation of real, publicly available materials for creative and legal reasons. The content of this podcast is the sole responsibility of Red Weather LLC and does not reflect the views of responsibilities of iHeartMedia or its affiliates. Previously on The Red Weather in nineteen ninety five, my neighbor and a trainer disappeared from the commune and a trainer was at a party in downtown Sebastpoll She had a fight with her boyfriend. Oh man, my boy, Mick, kid got a pass.
Speaker 2: You got a pass.
Speaker 1: Even if Mick managed to meet up with Anna then murder her. Couldn't have getting rid of the body and driven her car all the way to SFO. Not without hope, right, not without help? And we know he was with the rest of the night, Chris, they're here. When I finally got the transcripts of el Rick's interrogations, I realized Maldonado wasn't giving me the whole story. And look at that. Oh who said that? That's Maldonado? Man, And you're going to go meet this guy Sandals size six. I was reading the evidence catalog for Anna Tranner's case, long sleeve shirt, necklace. It was a list of objects recovered in the course of the investigation, but the descriptions were vague, too vague, like when it said sandals, did that mean birkenstocks or flip flops? Or most frustrating, this three compact discs. I think it doesn't even say what they are. I was dying to know what albums it was Anna listening to Smashing Pumpkins or Tory Amos. I mean that would say something about her, wouldn't it. I wanted to read everything, hold everything, but I also knew I couldn't help but give my own history and my own emotions to these details. And I was reminded of something maldon Auto said to me a few days earlier.
Speaker 2: You got to let the evidence tell the story, even if it's not the one that you like or the one that you want to get.
Speaker 1: There's a big difference between finding meaning and giving meaning, between understanding and fetishizing. And actually, the most important thing I was looking for wasn't an object. It was a few lines in the witness log gave three interviews. This was more important than the CDs, the sandals, even the small swift bullets in a plastic bag. But while I was sitting there making this discovery, I couldn't react.
Speaker 3: Yeah, lives like.
Speaker 1: What not sure, even though he was sitting right next to me and he was helping me. I couldn't let Sheriff Maldonado know how much of a game changer this was because after the last week, I wasn't sure I could trust him. I am actor and filmmaker writer Strong. This is the red weather. I was two weeks into reviewing the disappearance of Anna Trainor and getting nowhere new Elrich, the leader of Anna's intentional community, the Tender Hearts, had an alibi, but this only brought me up to speed with where the investingation turned cold in nineteen ninety five. To get any further, I wanted access to the official case file. Hi, it's Ryder Strong calling that again for Sheriff Laughlin. Okay, uh yeah, okay, that'd be great, Thank you. Ooh, I mean she is blowing you off, giving you the cold shoulder. Yeah, but I don't. I'm I can't take it personally, and at least Maldonada's talking to me. You shouldn't even meet that guy. My friend Chris, who'd come home to help me with the podcast, had good reason to be wary. The day before, he had heard back from Sparks, which I know sounds like a code name I made up, but he called himself that for real.
Speaker 4: Though.
Speaker 5: You want to talk and a trainer, you got to talk about those fuckers detecting that shit. Maldonado.
Speaker 2: Come on, man, he.
Speaker 1: Left this right after we saw the transcripts of Maldonado's interrogations of el Rick. They had uncovered that Elrick was gay, and Maldonado, talking to his deputies, had thrown out, oh so casually an anti gay slur, your shocks that you knew best palace sheriff is a homophobic Nazi fascist. Okay, but I know it's awful, Yes it is. But that's the way people talk back then, are you justifying it? No? No, but well here, let me I don't cut this out if you want me to. But didn't you use the F word back then? That F word? I don't think I did it. I probably did, and I didn't. I didn't even think of it. Literally, It was just like, motherfucker. It's just something I do it. Never even crossed my mind until I was older, right, But when you got older, you wised up. They were older back then, they were grown up. And the problem was Maldonado was an essential source if I wanted more information on this case. I knew I was going to have to make compromises. So the sad fact of the matter was I need his help. Fine, but asking about it, I wasn't sure I could do that. Ma wanted to meet at a fruit stand down the road from my parents. You find these kinds of places on the back roads of some on the county, a cart or a little wooden structure, sometimes a truck where farmers sell produce. They can develop into institutions that draw hardcore fans acolytes, and Maldonado claimed that this one Little Seed was the strawberry spots. Hey, how you doing, Hey, good to meet you.
Speaker 2: As legends. Family has been here for what decades?
Speaker 1: Andres is the owner of little Seed? So how long you've been here? Or I guess your family, you guys always.
Speaker 3: Well, my family, my grandfather, he had the west side of the valley, the whole hill actually before they put in the fence and all that shit, and the grapes.
Speaker 1: Actually, there weren't any grapes.
Speaker 2: It was all orchards back then.
Speaker 1: That's what I remember. My hometown used to be famous for its apples, specifically the Gravenstein apple, and Maldonado had a bit to say about that.
Speaker 2: You lost the basketball guys name man.
Speaker 1: It was from Russia, right Sebastopol and rushing some like argument with a shop owner or something that he doesn't know, andres rolled his eyes and I could tell he'd heard this one before. Don't listen to this.
Speaker 3: It was when they grew the first graven Stains and Johnny Apples say, you know he was, of course, yeah, yeah, well Johnny was coming to the area.
Speaker 2: You really, you really don't know that. You can tell him to stop though before it gets to you.
Speaker 3: Okay, So Johnny's wandering the country barefoot, planting trees.
Speaker 2: He's the apple guy, the apple prophet. So when he came to town, that's a big deal.
Speaker 3: Everyone wants to know what's old Johnny gonna think of the grave Steam?
Speaker 2: Well, he like it. People would play some bets. Andre's your grandfather was there? That's your story?
Speaker 3: Anyway, they bring him a gravity stea well for first they got to decide which orchard they're.
Speaker 1: Gonna take it from. There's a lot of.
Speaker 2: Back and forth about this.
Speaker 1: I only have so much time per episode, so suffice to say Maldonado walked me through a classic shaggy dog story.
Speaker 3: They were in this few Cooper's and the Martinelli's hate e joke. People says because one of the Cooper boys has run off with Martinelli's daughter. But everyone in that fight was really about the golden tree.
Speaker 1: One of those Mark Twain yarns that goes on way.
Speaker 3: Too long actually gets on his dog and gallops to the golden tree. Now, shots are fire bullets, wizm pass his head.
Speaker 1: To reach a very very underwhelming punchline.
Speaker 2: Finally, Johny takes a bite of this fee.
Speaker 3: He says, this is the best apple they've been sebastable ever since.
Speaker 1: That's that's horrible.
Speaker 2: Well that's five minutes of your life and never get back.
Speaker 1: Yeah, dad jokes. Aside, apples did define the area for decades. Nowadays it's all cannabis and grapes, wine and weed. There are only a few old school family spots like Andres making do Oh, you gotta try this strawberry.
Speaker 3: He's never added, Oh well, okay, oh yeah, right, that's right, sevest Barry.
Speaker 1: See you get it.
Speaker 2: All right, let's take a work.
Speaker 1: We went to the edge of the Tender Hearts property where Anna was last seen.
Speaker 2: This is where the guys on the engine passed her.
Speaker 1: I had told Maldonado that Willow started the fire that night after she found cannabis in the barn, which looking back now, I think was an act of rebelling against her mom. Yeah, she was totally pissed at Laney. My buddy Connor and I talked about this. Willow was being raised by her mom and all these other women on the Tender Hearts property, and they were supposed to be spiritual idealists. But when she found a barn full of weed, she knew the rumors were true. They were dealing drugs and she lit it up, so you knew where it started.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, we would smell the pot too, but it was gone. And connecting those dots to Anna, well we had nutty.
Speaker 1: There's an irony here. By burning the weed she found, Willow actually prevented Elrick and her mom and the Tender Hearts from being charged with anything. There was no cannabis left, so there was no evidence. But in terms of Anna, even after Elrick's alibi, Maldonado and his team focused on the Tender Hearts.
Speaker 6: Okay, but that see, that doesn't make any sense to me. Right, they were a cult, but they weren't not really. Well, look, we know that now, I know that, you know that. But at the time, I mean, that was part of the zeitgeist.
Speaker 1: That's Monica Tremblaine, a reporter who was helping me.
Speaker 7: I mean, I guess you know about satanic panic, right, or wasn't that the eighties?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: I mean at the West Memphis three all that that was the nineties. This was a good point. In ninety five. There were still rampant fears of cults, ritualistic killings. I even did a somewhat infamous episode of Boy Meets World where my character joined a cult. I believe that I finally found a place where people let me be who I am, you know, without trying to change me or or need to know what my goals are in life. I mean, why do I need that? Sean? What do you believe? What do you believe?
Speaker 8: In Corey?
Speaker 1: The transcripts and the message from Sparks were weighing heavily on me. Was Sheriff Maldonado biased in this investigation, too obsessed with weed and focused on the Culti commune, maybe even targeting Elric personally. It took me almost an hour before I could bring it up.
Speaker 3: The search party started in groups from here and then fanned out.
Speaker 2: Well, I'll show you so.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Lachlan sent me the transcripts and I went through the interviews with Elric.
Speaker 3: He played coy what a take three or four sitting downs before he finally broke broke.
Speaker 4: I mean, he didn't admit that anything happened to do with Anna Man had secrets.
Speaker 1: Okay, but you know it wasn't There's one part in the transcripts where you refer to him as a fagot?
Speaker 2: Did I?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's the full quote. Is the Swami turned out to be a fagot?
Speaker 2: Damn? Well know it's different times back then.
Speaker 1: It's a slightly awkward moment because on one hand he was acknowledging the thing, but then on the other not really. But then what do I expect an apology to? Who? Did? I want him to break down and cry and shame and admit to some deep seated bigotry. Well, but so I've been thinking about in general with the tender hearts community. Sure, but you know what they were doing, what they were actually doing, that it'd be legal now. Maldonado only nodded. They were, you know, living off the land, selling cannabis.
Speaker 2: They were breaking the loan, right.
Speaker 9: But.
Speaker 1: Knowing now laws have changed, I mean, doesn't has it changed the way that you feel?
Speaker 2: How I feel about what?
Speaker 1: Well, you know, investigating, interrogating him, arresting him if you could hindsight's easy. Yeah, but you were I mean, you had the authority.
Speaker 2: Should I have called him a name?
Speaker 7: No?
Speaker 3: But I've said a lot of stupid shit in my dear, a lot of stupid ship.
Speaker 2: Look, there's there's there's no excuse. But the job is always the same. I'm not I'm not making the laws. Okay, I know what you're saying. I do.
Speaker 3: But but guys get in trouble if they start thinking that they can decide which laws to care about, which one's not to. You can't decide what evidence you like or don't like, which suspect or which witness. If I'm doing my job, I'm letting the evidence tell the story. Okay, it speaks for itself. I'm more like a reader a listener, So you gotta let the evidence tell the story, even if it's not the one that you like or the.
Speaker 2: One that you want to hear.
Speaker 5: That guy is utterly.
Speaker 1: Full of shit. The next day, when I met up with Sparks, he had a different take.
Speaker 5: Mall and I was barely a cop, totally a dickhit.
Speaker 1: Oh he picked up. Hey, it's Chris Delveccio. Chris got Sparks to agree to meet with me. I do know his real first name, but I'm going to stick with Sparks for legal reasons, but also it fits. No no no no no no no. No cameras. It's a podcast. They'll have like a microphone. You won't even know it's there. I actually won't be there. I got to get back to LA, but it'll be you and Rider, and you remember writer. Chris was catching a flight home, and I was sad to see him go. It felt like a sign that I wasn't getting anywhere.
Speaker 10: Don't beat yourself up if you don't solve anything.
Speaker 1: This would be cool to at least have this stuff recorded, right, And you got the box with the pager. Yes, great, we found a pager on my parents' property. It was mostly a random relic from the nineties, but I wanted to see if we could extract numbers from it. All Right, so there are private investigators who specialize in old technology, but they no, they're pricey as hell.
Speaker 3: What are we talking about.
Speaker 1: It's like four thousand dollars just a look, I know, I have a guy. Surprisingly, this is an area where Hollywood connections came in Handy. Chris is a TV writer and he's worked on some big shows, including one that needed outdated technology props. Okay, man, so you've got to buy email, writer's email, my number, writer's number. You are in the loop.
Speaker 3: Thank you, thank you, thank you.
Speaker 1: Ranking Lyle Rinkin runs a tech consulting company for art departments. When you're making a show with medical machines or computers, especially period pieces, you need someone who has all that stuff and knows how to run it.
Speaker 7: Okay, there you go.
Speaker 1: He's gonna try it, my boy, rinking He's got you. Yes, he is actually a next level order, way worse than your parents. He has two warehouses, just like wall to wall Ark of the Covenant.
Speaker 11: He has that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, in the valley, God, I would love to see that. We boxed the pager up and Chris took it to the post office on his way to the airport. He was heading back to his normal life, normal work, which made me feel like maybe I should too. I did have a script I was supposed to be writing, after all, but for now I went to meet Sparks. I suddenly felt very alone. Sparks had sent a Google Maps pin deep in West County, but there was no service. Once I got close. I ended up going down this dirt road for ten minutes. I didn't even see any houses. There were some rusty cars, farm equipment. I had to turn around a few times. Finally I found a gravel driveway that dead ended. There was a garage. Hello, Hello, fuck. I got or Die up as soon as I saw him. I knew I had met Sparks in the nineties, but he remembered Chris better. He brought him up while I was setting up my mics.
Speaker 5: Christo that yeah, man, I couldn't believe getting a call from his ass. While You remember Danny Carino, Yeah yeah, he was like a big tall guy. Oh yeah, man, he's the massive Delatio constantly really yeah, you remember the whole fancy pants.
Speaker 1: Thing I actually did. Chris had Warren suspenders to the eighth grade dance. He never lived that down.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I thought it was normal. I called him fancy pants he did. Oh dude, he lost his shit really? Oh yeah, I went up on top of coffee cats. He was throwing chairs.
Speaker 1: What yeah, Chris? Yeah, bro, I think I would have heard about my best friend throwing chairs around, which maybe was my first indication that I should take everything that Sparks said with a grain of salt. But then he had a lot of interesting things to say about Anna's case.
Speaker 11: And over a fact, mcsorted bullshit.
Speaker 1: He meant, Mick Bowden and his ex boyfriend. Okay, so what do you mean, Oh.
Speaker 5: He's suddenly not with his girlfriends, like vanishes into the thin air. He's with a new chick he.
Speaker 1: Was talking about. After Anna page Mick, he tried to pick her up at the payphone, but she never showed, and so Mick said, he then spent the night.
Speaker 5: With Here's nobody remembers it was Halloween, right, but there's school in next day.
Speaker 1: Was true. It was easy for me to forget because I wasn't in a normal school situation. I was still traveling back and forth to work in LA and going to a tiny alternative school in the woods.
Speaker 5: Oh, you know, I used to post up a gad flies you know that spot get some coffee before driving up to Rosa. I saw it come to school that morning.
Speaker 1: And she was by herself.
Speaker 5: Jie said, Nick was with it.
Speaker 1: Later, guess you got brand new Jetta? Oh for that? Yeah, I do.
Speaker 11: Actually the next month.
Speaker 5: Dude, are you saying she full on't changed his story? Suddenly she's dating Mick.
Speaker 1: Oh so they dated for real?
Speaker 5: Yeah, six months and then she's driving that sweet sweet Jedda.
Speaker 1: Cars were a big deal when we were teens, a big marker of identity. We knew who everybody's car was. We knew everybody's mom's car. We could tell who was that Coffeecats or Round Table Pizza or any parking lot by driving by and seeing their car. So it's not surprising. Even my brother Shiloh remembers the Jetta uh purple uh nineteen ninety five Volkswagen Jetta stick shift tinted windows. Yeah, I mean it's a stretch, I know. I know, in situations like this, you really got to ask yourself how reliable is your source, as in, can I trust a drug dealer? Well, come on, and somebody that's not a huge fan of cops to begin with. That was true. Sparks spent a lot of time giving me his opinion of law enforcement.
Speaker 11: Let's talk about Moll the not God, dude, I mean he's a cop.
Speaker 5: Cops are dicks.
Speaker 11: The thing about that most of the cops is like they would just be a dick to your face. And like him to your face, he's all cool, like mister, you know, I your buddy, you know, right, your pal, And then you know he was really not.
Speaker 5: He was like trying to play a game, and like you know with me, he knew, he knew where I ran. Like, yeah, we had this little spot called Swamp of Vania. You ever hang out there?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 5: Really? Yeah, oh yeah, I guess you're going.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 11: I was cool man, Like we just sit, we were chill and drink.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 11: It was like this in this little kind.
Speaker 1: Of like ravine water, like a culvert.
Speaker 5: Yeah yeah, yeah, And you know he knew about it and like let us have it because you know, he'd come to me every once in a while and like, you know, watch some intel.
Speaker 1: You so you're you were like an informant.
Speaker 11: Oh yeah, he wishes.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Anyway, one time we went out to went out to the spot Swamplvania and shit was trashed, couch was all ripped up. Oh dude even put like barbed wire across the path we used to get out there.
Speaker 1: How do you know that it was him?
Speaker 7: Oh?
Speaker 5: Because it was the day after he came to me and he wanted to know about some meth thing going on in Forestville or something I did or anything. I didn't know anything about it, so he wanted to intel.
Speaker 11: I had nothing for him.
Speaker 5: And uh yeah, he took our shanger laf fucking bitch.
Speaker 11: Dude's a villain, bro of.
Speaker 1: It was hard to take this seriously, but then again, maybe I didn't want to for an obvious reason.
Speaker 2: She pulled the bullets and this this tree over here, one of these trees.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and where they end up there inevidently in a walker somewhere at the Violent Crimes.
Speaker 2: Unit investigating unit.
Speaker 1: Man, I would I'd love to see that stuff.
Speaker 4: Talked a lot on man mm hmm. She got to the transfer. Yeah, but then she hasn't called me back.
Speaker 2: Tell you me, That's what I'll miss.
Speaker 3: Red tape typing reports, filing reports of dating reports.
Speaker 2: You want me to get a recall? I think if I came in with you, she might give us a film.
Speaker 1: Yeah no, I'd be grayer.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, thanks man.
Speaker 7: Well, poor Robert Maldonado can enjoy his retirement.
Speaker 1: And it worked. It's a situation. Or I'm just playing catch up.
Speaker 7: Yeah, me too, trust me, me too. Uh And I have a full case load as it is. You know, this office is responsible for all of Sonoma County.
Speaker 1: Lachlan explained that they didn't have the resources to reopen the case because.
Speaker 7: They're not there.
Speaker 1: I'm not there.
Speaker 7: And that's when you're talking new testimony, new evidence.
Speaker 8: Well, I mean doesn't like me coming forward? Isn't that new testimony? Or I mean it's a new information and after.
Speaker 7: I'm making a podcast. Ouch, there's never been anything to move the needle on this, okay, nothing from a missing person to homicide or kidnapping anything. There's no body, no new witness, so.
Speaker 8: Okay, you know, okay, well, actually there is a witness that I'm talking to.
Speaker 1: Who is this?
Speaker 8: Well, I'm not I'm trying to still gather, you know, all the background and but basically what they're saying there are some contradictions. Contradictions maybe or you know, maybe it's easy to clear up, but I really can't do that unless I can see the evidence.
Speaker 7: Okay, is this person on the record.
Speaker 1: It was a good question. I had a phone number for Sparks, the Google pin to a garage, but I didn't even have a last name.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean, I have them recorded, but I still need to get par officials.
Speaker 7: All right, Look, if you're serious, I'll put someone on this all right.
Speaker 8: Yeah, you mean like a detective, like a liaison.
Speaker 7: Okay, this person will be our contact from now on. So you give them what you've got and they will coordinate access.
Speaker 1: Did you hear how she slipped in? You give them what you got? Was I expected to hand over my recordings for accents? I wasn't ready to do that because Sparks didn't just accuse Maldonado of slashing up a couch and blocking his chill spot. And he wasn't only saying relied. He took aim at Maldonado in the entire Sheriff's department.
Speaker 11: You want to talk about how this guy could look the other way when it comes to Nick.
Speaker 5: You got to talk.
Speaker 11: About his can pay the next year and paid for that shit.
Speaker 1: Okay, so what do you mean, Like, is Maldonado like stealing from crime scenes or.
Speaker 5: Something, no legit money. He was a sheriff.
Speaker 11: That's an elected position.
Speaker 5: Right, Mick definitely got a pass Daddy promises Samoolah. They half asked their investigation. It goes away.
Speaker 1: That's a big allegation. I know, I know, and it's kind of paranoid, but also not impossible. Mixed. Dad was wealthy, well connected, and it was weird to me that Maldonado fixated on Elric and the tender hearts. Okay, what about the smaller stuff because this car thing, it's interesting that Mick bought a car, a Jetta and she changed her story. Right, you could try the DMV or maybe if she read stood for new insurance. But if you get access to the files, this just gets a little bit easier. I had no idea what my chances were now that Lachlan had passed me off to a new liaison, someone named Thomas Greer. It seemed obvious that Lachlan was trying to get me off or back let someone else stonewall me. I needed more information from Sparks like to start his full name, but he didn't show up for our second meeting. While I sat in my car, I called Chris, so, I'm back here at the garage. Nada. How much do you know about this guy? Waited for over an hour. I was a little nervous. Greer had set a time for us to meet at the Sheriff's department. I invited Maldonado to hoping he could vouch me, but in terms of intel to offer, I felt like I had nothing. I just knew I didn't want to be an actor making a podcast. How is this? Yes, that's a giant Yes, okay, I think to wear glasses good? Yes, So I put on the one sports code I had packed and my glasses. I wanted to look serious smart, which yes, means that in order to not be an actor, I dressed in a costume, literally the most actor thing in the world. Yeah, hi, U Raderstrong, I'm here to Thomas Greer. Turns out I couldn't have been more wrong in how to prepare to meet officer career mister Sean Hunter, because he was a boy meets World super fan, like I know you, Oh cool dude, I grew up on you. I used to hate being recognized, especially in my hometown. When you're a kid, anything that makes you stand out is just mortifying. But these days people tell me that they know who I am, or that they liked the show, and it's great. It's wholly positive. N percent of the time, Greer might be the other one percent. You know, you actually met my cousin. I did, Susan Lacy, you remember, I know? Yeah, you were taking her to prom.
Speaker 10: Really, of course you don't remember, and you were probably told every girl that you were going to prom.
Speaker 1: Man, you were the man. It was awkward, but suddenly I was optimistic you might open the case file.
Speaker 3: Oh tapanga, dude, topanga.
Speaker 1: Oh she was hot, that good and you didn't hit that luckily. When Maldonado arrived, Greer shifted into a more professional mode.
Speaker 4: Yeah you too, Yeah, I've seen a lot of Maldonado tags around here.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah. He walked us past the lobby and into the building, which, if I was honest, I wanted to be like a James Bond facade that once we walked through the doors, there would actually be a high tech storage facility. People in lab coats standing over beakers, metal shelving a gun range, but it was just more office building. The two of them went into a room and left me in the hallway. I sat on a chair waiting, and suddenly it felt like every audition I've ever been on. And then Monica called, Hey, what's up? Hey? So maybe the drug dealer isn't that so crazy after all? What do you mean?
Speaker 6: Registered her Jenna on November eighteen, nineteen ninety five.
Speaker 1: So she had a new car within two weeks.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I gotta go, gotta go.
Speaker 1: Maldonado and Greer took me into an evidence review room. Let me now you want to pull, which is how I found myself looking at an evidence catalog like a menu with too many options. What did I want to see? The CDs, bullet fragments, none of it really. The most important thing was checking out making stories, but Maldonado was encouraging.
Speaker 2: I don't never know, might not something loose that?
Speaker 10: Okay, well it's a little superficial, but I would love to see some of this stuff, like this book maybe, And then could I see the bullets?
Speaker 1: I held the three bullets from the tree in my hand. Wow, I'm actually smaller than I thought. They were tiny flattened bits of metal, and Anna's copy of the book The Way of the Peaceful Warrior by Dan Millman was well worn. It was it was like, I don't know a lot of kids read it. It's like this.
Speaker 10: New age philosophy book. What's this other note?
Speaker 1: Here in the catalog after the Way of the Peaceful Warrior was a line that said damage heart spelled hart.
Speaker 3: That might be a note that the book is damaged, or could be a type of damaged art.
Speaker 1: Couldn't help it. I kind of love the poetic value of the line damage Heart, but I had already made career go back to the storage too many times. I was only treading water and binding time because I'd already seen the list of interviews. Can I just look at these transcripts with Mick and.
Speaker 4: You got it?
Speaker 2: Boss?
Speaker 1: What do you think? I'm just wondering about the timeline that night? No more the investigation power most. At this point I had my notebook out on the table, which was a mess of scribbles. But right around here I realized I had written notes about Sparks, including the words Maldo is a villain circled. I covered it up with my arm. Well, yeah, because Mick stopped talking to you, but hate lawyered up, and you never thought about her rescue it for what we didn't have crime.
Speaker 3: We're still hoping, I mean actually mostly expecting that she might call up in a month or two and say, hey, Mom, so I had to golf.
Speaker 1: Greer came back with the transcripts. I'm pretty sure these are the ones you wanted. A rich yep, oh wow.
Speaker 7: So.
Speaker 1: Comes in. But it's not until this interview, which is her third one, that she says that she was with Mick but correct. That was right after Elrick's alibi, right at the moment when attention would have focused on Mick. I pulled out my phone to take a photo of the pages, but Greer stopped me.
Speaker 2: No photos?
Speaker 1: Really? Yeah, do you can write down what you want?
Speaker 3: I can go back to Lachlan.
Speaker 1: It's probably not a big deal.
Speaker 4: But I got to get a clue.
Speaker 1: How long is that without it? Donna Maldonado threw his hands up. He was also frustrated. I'm not proud of what I did. Next, I excuse myself to the bathroom. There's a story everyone knows about somebody famous. You've heard it about someone It's a story where a famous person can't get into a restaurant or a club, or they get pulled over for a speeding ticket, and they say, don't you know who I am? It's probably never true, but the point of the story is, look at this sad famous person. Look how desperate they are and pathetic, how much they expect, how much they demand, how much they rely on status. These stories haunt me. I guess they haunt anyone who gets recognized. It's a story about how not to be if you're famous. And yet here I was making a phone call. Hey, all right, I have a really big favor. I know this is super annoying, but do you have a second right now? Hey, I thought you might want to say hi to a friend of mine. I had called Danielle Fischel, my old cast made from Boybeat's World. Yes to Panga on FaceTime?
Speaker 5: Oh no, no, no, you didn't.
Speaker 1: Is this he did? Now Here's where I realized I hadn't thought any of this through at all. I had distracted career got him out of the room, but in doing so, I had also just let my phone, the very thing I needed to take photos of the pages, walk out the door. You hear that sound right there. That's mal Donado dropping his phone on the table right in front of me, and then he gave a little go ahead wave with his hands.
Speaker 9: So I picked up his phone and I took photos of every page I could.
Speaker 1: All right, well, thanks for this, Yeah, no problem. I hope you got something good for the podcast.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah. It was a confusing moment because I was thankful I needed copies of these documents, and Maldonado had helped me, So on one hand, makes me feel like he's a good guy. On the other, doesn't this lend credence to the idea that he's willing to bend the rules, that he's corruptible? Hey, uh, thanks for that.
Speaker 3: Of course, I told you the one thing I don't miss red tape.
Speaker 1: Maybe I'm naive, but I've always wanted to believe that people do the right thing for its own sake. But so much of life as a series of trade offs. You help person because they've helped you. You have your friend Danielle talk to a fan for you. You give information or withhold information from the police, and sometimes you end up with a slash couch. Other times you get the evidence you need. Now, I had copies of the interviews with Mick and I was able to build a timeline, and sure enough, between their interviews with the Sheriff's Department, both Mick and had changed her story. Whether he paid her off with the Sweet Sweet Jetta or not, it certainly looked like they coordinated, like they could have worked together to secure mixed alibi. And if Maldonado was a villain wanted to look the other way, that might have been enough, more than anything I needed to hear from Instead. As insane as this sounds, I heard from Ana. The Red Weather is an iHeart podcast hosted by River Straw. Sound engineering, editing and mixing by Bow milkis produced by Tess Bartholomey. Executive producers at iHeartRadio Trevor Young and Matt Frederick. Associate producer Bo milkis original score by Kyle Morgan. If you're enjoying the show, please remember to leave a review in rating. Thanks for listening,