Speaker 1: Warrant. Today's episode can take spoilers for X Men ninety seven season two, episode eight, The dead Man's Hand be.
Speaker 2: One Ooh, Hello Jason and I'm Mersey Night and welcome back to Extra Vision, the podcast where we dived you your favorite shows, movies, comments and pop culture coming from I Heeart Podcast, where we're bringing you three episodes of.
Speaker 3: Plast news on Saturdays. We are here at iHeart Podcast where we will be bringing you those three episodes a week. Like Jason said in this episode, is X Men ninety seven season two, penultimate episode, episode eight. Remember what happened to the last of it episode guys, we saw some shiny cards. They were pink. We knew it was coming back. It was sexy Dead Gambit and now he's back the dead Man's Hand, Jason happened.
Speaker 1: Rogue is dreaming. She's having a beautiful dream about Gambit, but then the the the love, the warmth is ended when she realizes it's actually a nightmare because it's about Dead Gambit. She sees Death Gambit, one of the horsemen of Apocalypse. The X Men are playing poker, which we love. When the I love that, it's just wonderful. It's the stuff that we both love.
Speaker 3: Who do you think realistically is the best at poker out of the X Men, Like just generally it doesn't have to be out of this team.
Speaker 4: But just like I.
Speaker 3: Think he's played the most.
Speaker 1: He's played the most in his like heyday, like he was a he was playing back when like the only thing that you could do for recreation was he was playing nothing. There's nothing else even Yeah, I was couldn't even like play ball that.
Speaker 3: They didn't even happen.
Speaker 5: They hadn't made the wheel yet, I don't think so, it's like it was tough.
Speaker 1: I mean, we definitely didn't have Like you couldn't buy baseballs, right, you'd have to make a baseball.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're making out of like a liver of a cat or something. Anyway. Anyway, anyways, so they're playing poker. That's great, we love it.
Speaker 1: They're playing poker. Night Crawler gets the Dead the historical dead man's hand while built hilk Hiccock's hand. H Meanwhile, Professor X checks on road. She's like, I'm okay, and just in the island security system goes off. Jean scans the object that's coming towards them, and she realizes it's her son Cable along with Jubilee, and the rest of this is his Black squad X Force. X Force is like, guess what you're never going to guess? Apocalypse is dead. They throw his desiccated corpse been out murder like, like, we're going to prosecute the murder of Apocalypse. Is that favorite guys?
Speaker 3: Okay please?
Speaker 1: Jubilee gives Rogue the kind of singed Queen of Heart's card and obviously we realized that Gambit did this. Somehow, They give them the update about that Gambit is now death Gambit, and their new plan is to sneak Rogue in to Gambit's proximity and have her steel his powers and thus kind of weaken him and also I guess this would restore his soul somehow. Xavier agrees as long as it's not an assassination, we're not just going to go in and kill him. We're going to try and resuscitate him and bring him back to full life. And Rogue is really sad about this. Whole thing is bringing up a lot of stuff for her.
Speaker 3: Jason, this might sound silly asking you this as you were doing this recap and we're already at the beginning, I feel like any of this is happening a little bit too fast. He's dead and now he's that gambit, but also a boocalypse is Dad? Remember that huge threat? So like, is this how did this land for you? Obviously we know, so it's kind of fun. We're rushing through it, but as you speak on it and I think about watching it, it does happen really quickly. Like I think we.
Speaker 1: Need to put I think we need to put a rule in where if you die, you're you have to lay out for like a full season at least That's what I was gonna say, at least one. At least one a full other season. If you die in episode five the next season, you are not even a hint, Like they can't even too much. It's too much. The camera can go by like a family portrait, you know, the ex family, like on the wall, and then you see that person there, but they can't even be hinted that because I think I do agree with you it's too soon, especially when you consider that we're just like bringing upot It's clear that there's no apocalypses.
Speaker 3: He's not dead. It wouldn't make any sense at the right.
Speaker 1: Anyway, beast uses cerebra, right, upgraded cerebro, the adapted cerebro, post danger search, Yeah, the gender fluid cerebro. We can't do anything about X men, but here we're going to do something and they're searching for Gambit and they find it sees Gambit, but Gambit can like look through the connection and see Charles as well, and it's a very very distressing. We go to the Bayou, the Thieves and assassins. The Thieves Guild is there, and this is do you want to give people the backstory of gambits.
Speaker 5: Let's think about Gambit pre bat clue.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he was, as you might uh know, because of his little outfit and his little name, Remy Laboo. He was a little master thief and he essentially created like I would say, depending on the version, it can be anything as small as like a Fagan style crew of master thieves, but then there are versions of it whereas essentially an international global society of like the smartest criminals ever ever ever.
Speaker 1: And there is a there is a hint, much like Assassin's creed, that this is like a ancient oh yeah, cot like like uh what would you call them, like ancient organization.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's essentially like essentially there are different guilds throughout the different branches. So the Tokyo branches like allegedly was something that had long happened until it got wiped out by the Hand, and there was a New York branch that was like right in from the eighteen hundred. So it's kind of, I would say, almost like a John Wick esque sort of reimagining of like a Mason's Brotherhood but simply for thieves. And then you imagine the Assassin's Guild is the same but for assassins, right, so we need all these you know, black Cat she was a guild member at times. It's New York one and stuff.
Speaker 1: So it's that there's a lot of intersections. So so Gambit is is you know, we see these folks all meeting. They realize they've been lured there by Gambit, their old brethren. He tells them that after he died, the devil like took his soul and he then turns them into his Apocalypse powered thralls, and it's clear that like he's got other plans, plans to do this to the X Men as well. X Men and X Force arrive in New Orleans. They're looking around for a Gambit. Each is trying to like avoid.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're like the other by the Sentinel Ema like it's it's very cat and mousey.
Speaker 1: One thing leads to another and Gambit's thrawled assassins now, you know, completely under the influence of Gambit attack the X Men and a group including Robert and Belladonna. So this is Gambit's brother and ex girlfriend or something, and like you situation ship, yes, situationship. Definitely a femme fatale in the Marvel universe. This is a lot like I remember when Gambit's backstory started to get fleshed out, and it was very much like when all of a sudden with Scott Summers, you realized there was an out Summers who he had powered, and then eventually you realize, oh wait, their dad is in space, and then there's a whole brother in space.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and yeah, I mean Bella Donna as well. Like in the comics, that's like Remy's bestie from childhood. That's like his you know, Raven and Charles in the modern X Men movies. That's kind of like they were thieves, but they were competitive, they were in love, you know, but also Interestingly, I'm not surprised we see this here because actually I'd forgotten, but Bella Donna, she actually like helps she has to get gambits, helped to fight the Brood at some point, and we just saw the Brude. So timing wise, this is kind of like working out And obviously these are just little nods, but definitely really interesting because also I love the moment where it was like they knew that they were completely kind of thralled because Jean just can't hear anything, essentially like black holes, right, They're just like there's nothing there that shows like how horrifically powerful this power is.
Speaker 1: So there's a while this fight between the X Men and the thralled assassins is going on. Rogue and Gambit finally have some one on one time, and you know, he's still very charming as the old Gambit was and poetic. He says to her, life does love does flash before us when we die?
Speaker 3: I'm on a me.
Speaker 1: When I died, all I saw was you moshe you know that kind of whole kind of right, and it's like, you know, I she's you can tell this is really hitting her, and then she's like takes a glove off. She's like, but I'm still an X man. I'm gonna do the thing touches him, and it's the Jean Gray not being able to read the minds should have been the hint that this stuff's not working anymore.
Speaker 3: Because also, like, babe, Jean Gray is like one of the most I mean, so is Rogue. But also like, yeah, I mean in the comics, Rogue is also being death so this is a really interesting kind of moment anyway.
Speaker 1: So Rogue can't pull the powers out. Gambit expected this. Also, he puts her to sleep with some kind of touch of his hand. Uh. Nightcrawler tries to do something, but Gambit overpowers him as well and also thraws him.
Speaker 3: Gambit, yeah, either one that happens.
Speaker 1: I know, I didn't. I didn't either. Gambit and all his thralls go off their merry way. Meanwhile, of course, Cable is like, okay, well, we need to go after them, and this is not a rescue mission anymore. This is like we got to kill everybody. The X Men at the mansion see the news about the fight and more. Wolverine and Forge and Storm go out to go see if they can do something about it. Road wakes up, she has not been thralled. Big mistake, question mark, question mark. I think this is Gambit. I mean death Gambit went soft here. I gotta say as well, Jason, why are you surprised?
Speaker 3: Because when you know they're like, well, she's going to restore his soul, but surely still has a bit of the soul if he's like romanticizing her, like I don't know, all right, just saying like he's so horny through it all the whatever happens, He's he's just gonna want huh, it doesn't not you know, I know.
Speaker 1: This is like a hint of the and we did. You know I criticized this show previously that I think they are double too many double beats. And yeah, here is one in which in which we saw a wolverine still retain some like core of wolverine and it was she's infected with the brood. And here I think you could argue that Gambit not enthralling Rogue is a hint that there's still.
Speaker 3: Like the good guy. Definitely, I think inside.
Speaker 1: She's she's Gambit. She's not sure if she should be relieved or afraid that he's back. As Death Gambit tells her the original story of Apocalypse fault.
Speaker 3: So outrageous, like thistable, This is so absurd. I'm just like not listening to him anymore because this is not you talking. This is like, like, what are you talking about?
Speaker 1: This is crazy. Imagine if you, like you get back together with your like the love who you lost, who think we're like, oh my god, like I can't believe. I can't bel I'm seeing you again. And the first thing they do is go, well, let me tell you about my boss's first girl.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yes, well my boss is best golfriend one hundred years ago, let me talk you about that, or in this case, three thousand years ago.
Speaker 1: Truly crazy. So he tells her, tells her about this person. It's Precist from ancient Egypt who broke his heart and fled to the bayou with a with a fragment of Apocalypse's power. And guess what she started the Thieves and Assassin's Guild. Or she is like the main dsh around whom crazy gambits families. The Thieves and Assassin Guild revolves around this deity in some way anyway, She's got this row like and it could make rogue immortal like him, but Gambit wants rogue basically to make the choice to.
Speaker 3: Do crazy things just like makes like no, honestly, none of this makes any sense. It's like getting turned into a courtman obviously adds your brain because it's a bad fininal box.
Speaker 1: Let's take a quick break in the river back and we're at Gambit and the Thralls begin the ritual to summon Apocalypse's ex girlfriend, the External, the deity around around which the Assassin's guild revolves. She pops in and the media is immediately is like, remy, you don't you don't smell right. There's something wrong with you. You're dumb. Is off, baby, you're different now. So she flips out attacks him, but he's like easily, with very little effort kills her. Craftsman and X Force arrive. Now you've got a big fight with the Thralls. It's great action, all the action. I always say it every single episode, but all the fights are great.
Speaker 3: They've done a really good job with the consistency this season. I think it's not even just a few breakout moments, like this is going to be a series people go back to watch because when you're reading a comic book. Sometimes you just think like, wow, imagine if that was real. That's what we always wanted for.
Speaker 4: This is it.
Speaker 3: But we get these moments right where it really feels like, oh my god, like you're seeing these greats. I mean, the external like crazy that's always been I'm like, I want to do it. See him at least called externals, I know. And again quailed off immediately Ripiza. But yeah, just like so the action is really really great. And this is another she had a good squence for five thousand years. Yeah, I was going to be like at least at least a few hundreds.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Uh, Professor X I oh wait. First, Gambit takes the Externals gem that can imbue immortality and binds it to Rogue. Professor X then tries to be like, Gambit, don't do this, Like you don't want to do this. They have a battle on the astral plane, and you know, Exavier trying to talk reason too. Remy Lebau in the astral plane. Now Apocalypse has taken the space that has that Remy has left. He's there, he's talking shit to Professor Oh yeah, nonsense. He then pulls Gambit into his body and Professor X's mind begins to like just come apart. Then a light appears as Rogue reaches out to Remy. Because while this was happening.
Speaker 3: This Jason story is so see. I was going to say, you know, I feel like we maybe missed the trick. Maybe we'll do it for the finale, but I feel like this is like you have an uncle at the party who sits at the back. He just tells you the craziest story that was my dad, Like the stories that you could never believe because they had twenty different layas in every different character you never remembered was coming back. That is, this episode is fucking hilarious.
Speaker 1: Right, So while this was happening, Rogue appears in the astral plane somehow I'm not sure how the power of other than the power of love, and she sees a cleansed gambit in there. They the X Men at Cable considers taking a shot at gambit at Cleansed Gambit, but hesitates for fear of hitting Jean Gray. Xavier tells the team that Apocalypse won't stay contained in Remy's consciousness for much longer. They have to act or lose. To lose the opportunity of saving Gambit from Apocalypse Forever and then cable archangel Silock are ambushed by X Factor and agent Val Cooper, and she tells them, guess what, guys, We're not looking to arrest you this time. We want to team up and take down this threat. Let's take a quick break, crazy be back to talk about this crazy episode.
Speaker 3: I have to say, for all of our wild predictions, I don't know did we have a predict that we would end the episode with like Remy as like a humanoid. We thought we might get multiple horsemen, but now it seems like Remy is essentially going to be like a human version, Like he's Apocalypse's consciousness is in there and he's kind of the body. And that's where we leave it, which is just incredibly strange. And this episode went to a lot of really crazy places. Jason, what was your craziest part of the penultimate episode of season two.
Speaker 1: The craziest part was just like the complete media eras no background introduction of Remy's extended family right, and the fact that they're in a ancient assassin's thieves guild.
Speaker 3: Which is run by like a like preach run.
Speaker 1: By Apocalypse's ex girlfriend.
Speaker 3: Who's also a top sex girlfriend. I think because yes, like right so very stuff. Yes, yes so so the thing is like, this is one of those kind of classic deep poles because she's in the sixth episode of the old series of season season two of the old X Men animated series, like which is called X kind of Yours. But it's like, who's gonna remember that? Like, I feel I do feel like they could have gone a little bit more accessible hit, but the babes and assassins, Gill and especially External because that's a crazy character, wed character, a really weird character, and then they just got Do you feel like maybe this is a bit of that proof that they bit off a bit more than they could chew or do you think yeah, I do feel like they can fully land it in the finale. I just feel like there's so much to do at this point.
Speaker 1: I kind of feel that at this point, with the insane kind of lore drops that they are doing and the velocity of them and the just sheer amount of like story space that they are covering, that they can they can almost do anything at this point because they've been doing such They've been taking such crazy crazy swings. Yea, I mean really we just get introduced so many concepts in this episode, and listen, I'm loving. I do wonder how people who aren't X men pilled are taking it. But like, I think there's so much here super produced.
Speaker 3: Aaron did put some great questions in our chat to just kind of and I think this is a kind of a good point, which is like, could this have just been a if you just just focused on a pall collipse.
Speaker 1: Let's bring let's bring eron in to explain his idea for fixing the pacing. So you're fixing the pacing of the episode, of the piecing of.
Speaker 4: The season, the whole season up till now. I would say okay, because you know, I was a little bummed we got gambit as death for nineteen minutes, Like we're not even a full thing. Kind of he doesn't even spend all of you're talking about like if you die, you should sit out one season. He doesn't even he's not even death the entire episode here. He's you gotta be a character for a full yes episode.
Speaker 3: If you're not yea, Like you can't get renamed if you're not in it for the.
Speaker 4: Whole We're not changing the name on your trailer mid episode here.
Speaker 1: I think, so that's a great idea as well.
Speaker 4: My pitch would be episode one through four, we really are you know. I mean, this season started so strong, I think with episodes one, two, and three, and we get the split timeline and we don't really have anything in the modern era except for the Jubilee episode and X Force, which was great. I would have watched three more episodes of X Force hunting down horsemen. So I would have said, like, give us the first half of the season. Magneto's attempting to train and sabaure and like by the end of episode four, he kind of goes into ship and he turns into Apocalypse, but that gives us some more time with X Force, and then five through eight is Apocalypse searching for new horsemen. I love the horseman aspect of Apocalypse, Like that's one and and like he kind of came back to the modern era and got Gambit and didn't get the other three horsemen. And like I was wish casting who I would put as a horseman. I mean, I think it has to be people who have been in the last this season or previous season. So I would just bring Omega Red back, have him be Pestilence or something. I think, you know, I think obviously saber Tooth could could take on a role even though he was kind of a he wasn't a good guy, but he was.
Speaker 3: He's a fight yeah, he's been in that situation.
Speaker 4: And then I'm not gonna say Magneto because we need him to stay dead for a little bit. But I do feel like we could have had some you know, like in season one we get some good villains that could have been brought back. I don't know, I think you guys mentioned this on the you know, the Colossus episode Exodus is too strong. You can't just like bring him exactly as something. But we could definitely have some other like Pyro and Avalanche, like bring them back or something. And I loved five through eight to been that like assembly. I think the simple way to think about this, I agree with your your description of the issue. I think the way that the simple way that they should have constructed this is just like a A story, B story, C story. The A story is.
Speaker 1: Apocalypse versus the X Men and Apocalypse and Gambit. The B story could be like is Rogue going to kill Gambit or is she going to save are the X Men going to kill Gambit? Are they going to say save right right? And then the c plot is like X Force versus X Factor or X Factor versus the X Men, you know, like are they going to arrest them or are they going to join forces? That should have been it because it does. Again, I'm loving this season because I'm a freak. I've read all these these are the comics, the comics that got into comics. But it's it is is going. It's too dense.
Speaker 3: We can pretend it's like a well paced, well told and it's too fragmented. I would have loved to see your version. I think it makes a lot of sense, especially because I do feel like there's so many major arcs here that we really, you know, could have explored in more detail. But I still have an episode.
Speaker 4: Let's see, let's see how they bring it home.
Speaker 3: Yes, exactly. And also they could do five more they could do five more storylines in that two guys we don't know, so we can see it all happen. We can see it all happened.
Speaker 4: Did you you remember the legacy virus for bringing that back in episode nine.
Speaker 3: You said it wasn't going to be that.
Speaker 1: Well, now, is, and also like let's as a kind of longer considering the the idea about wish casting, I would like to wish cast this show to get back to the X Men the animated series type of episode delivery of twenty to twenty two like more Runway. I am like Disney just fired a bunch of animators in their company that they own. They fire the you know, their own.
Speaker 4: Pick stocks or whatever it is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, AI is supposed to make our lives easier. What happened. There's no way you keep You have no excuses Disney Marvel to not give us twenty three episodes of X Men ninety seven next season. Figure it out.
Speaker 4: Figure out they've been doing this for years with the comic storylines where those those are not truncated into like we have to get through an entire thing in four weeks.
Speaker 3: So yeah, agree.
Speaker 1: Figure it out. If the if the animation needs to be five percent five percent worse, that's fine.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I have just seen an animation on the original show. Looks like your memories might not be his fons.
Speaker 4: I don't know, just like shit monkey pop curling there because we all remember the final season when they really had no money on the animated series, and that the animation was horrible.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I know, but but I'm saying there's a there's a key medium, there's a nice medium in between that where we could have it cost half the price and get like, how double the amount.
Speaker 1: I feel I mean, I feel like the animation for X Men, the animated series the final season had like a frames per second of like six or seven, like it was.
Speaker 3: Very actually exactly exactly.
Speaker 1: And and I think we could have like I'm not saying it needs to be a.
Speaker 3: That choppy, but again it's not full pan scaled. A little child could be a little top off. I'd send that note back. I agree.
Speaker 1: On the next episode of Extra Vision, we're diving into news and more house and the dry and of course that said for this episode, thanks was x ray Vision is hosted by Jason Concepcion and Rosie Knight and is a production of iHeart Podcast.
Speaker 3: Our executive producers are Joel Monique and Aaron Kaufman.
Speaker 1: Our supervising producer is Abu Zafar.
Speaker 3: Our producers are Common Laurent Dean Jonathan and Bay Wag.
Speaker 1: A theme song is by Brian Vasquez, with alternate theme songs by Aaron Kaufman.
Speaker 3: Special thanks to Soul Rubin, Chris Lord, Kenny Goodman, and Heidi our discord moderator,