Speaker 1: Pushkin. Welcome back to Risky Business, a show about making better decisions. I'm Maria Kanakova and.
Speaker 2: I'm Nate Silver. Today on the show, we're gonna mostly talk about a Sorry.
Speaker 1: No, I'm laughing because you, Nate, you got this. Today on the show, we're mostly talking.
Speaker 2: About tariffs and the I think you can call it now a crash that we've seen in the market since then, although as we're recording this on Tuesday, the eighth markets I believe are up there at least up in the pre market trading. And we'll also ras Maria about what happens when you support Duke in your bracket.
Speaker 1: That's why I had started laughing at our introduction, because I yeah, I knew it was coming. I knew it was coming. Let's just get it out of the way, Nate. Let's let's start with that. I lost. I was gonna say, I graciously admit defeat, but no fucking way, I'm not gonna be gracious about it. Monty, and I challenge you to a rematch for next year.
Speaker 2: Accepted.
Speaker 1: I was completely I mean, it was a route, it was a route. I was rooting for Duke. Everyone, everyone I rooted for lost but not only that, Nate, you chose Florida out of spite and who won?
Speaker 2: What can you say? I actually had money on Houston last night, so Florida was just the icy on the cake. But like, look, did you watch the game? It was spectacularly it was funny, Shoddenfruda. If you're a Duke hater, yeah, the golden boy, Cooper Flag will live with this for the rest of his life. Yeah.
Speaker 1: The Duke game, I was like, what's going on? I had to text Monty. I was like, what has happened right now?
Speaker 2: Why?
Speaker 1: Why is this happening?
Speaker 2: I was down at the hard Rock Seminal casino. I had just ended the day of a poker tournament and got to watch it with a bunch of drunk for Lauderdale Arie bros. Who also seem to be reading for Houston.
Speaker 1: Sometimes that's the best way to watch games, right, both both Duke and Florida, And like big games, there's an energy watching them during poker tournaments. There really is because basically, I think over half the room I think it's fair to say, usually has money on the game.
Speaker 2: So the is very hot. Yeah, by the way, the tournament didn't go great. Other well, I mean it's hard to like, it's hard to play poker when you're distracted by big things that are happening. And so every moment I'm playing. I cashed one K, and then the two main tournaments that came for I didn't cash, which is normal, but still it's like hard to play poker when you feel like the world. Let me be careful about this, right, this is not like of the magnitude of like the start of the pandemic, for example, But we're gonna spend the bulk of time talking about is a huge story. It's like gonna be remembered as one of the events at least in line with like the nineteen eighty seven stock market crash I think. I mean, this is like a fundamental change in the United States's relationship with the rest of the world. Right, people now think a recession is fifty percent or more likely, and that's and that's a big deal.
Speaker 1: It's a big deal. It's a huge shift. Congratulations on cashing one tournament night.
Speaker 2: You know I did. I will give myself credit for this. I literally mean cashed. I was the first player in the money. I literally played for thirty seconds after I made the money, So that was that was ideal and then uh, and then and then but meanwhile the economy is falling apart, So let's talk about let's talk about terrorist Mariya. This might be a little bit streaming of consciousness, but it's a big story obviously of the of the week, if not the year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a huge story. I mean as of now. So I think we always try to be very careful to say one we're taping, but with this story, I think you have to be extra careful because there's so much volatility, so much movement. So we are taping. I'm on the West coast, Nate is on the East coast. So for me, it's eight am on Tuesday, And as of now, markets are down I think eighteen percent from peak in February, right, So that's that's huge. And global markets are down right now. We have tariffs across the board, including on penguins, and China is threatening retaliatory tariffs and we're saying, well, fuck you, China, We're gonna give even more teriffs to China. And like it's just evolving into this madness. And people who were supporting Trump, like very vocally, even some of those voices have come out and said, hey, whoa hold on a second, like the Bill Ackmans of the world, right, who have been just like go go Trump, or all of a sudden like whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, what's happening to the economy? What are you doing? Maybe it's time to take a step back, slow down, take a pause. And those voices actually have been so loud that there was even a fake fake news yesterday where Evan Reuter's ran a headline that market started trading on that there was going to be a ninety day pause.
Speaker 2: Well, a guy named whose last name is Bloomberg, like Walter Bloomberg, like twet tweets and all like if your name was like Johnny Reuter's or I am look this up. The surname nyt like I don't know night or how you pronounce it is apparently the rare Cambodian surname. Right, So if you're the last name knit, right, you can be like knit mit tariffs to be rescinded tomorrow and then and then cause that major disruption in the stock market. Yeah, look, there are parts of the center are funny. I always believe in kind of keeping your wits about you, and I mean, let me contextualize first, like these market swings, so as tapping this, the SAB five hundred is up two and a half percent today, so that reduces the game from peak in early February or the loss to about twenty percent from twenty three or whatever it was. It's at least twenty three percent is the average tariff right now that we're imposing on the rest of the world. But still a really bad swing, especially considering that, like investors assume that Trump would be good for the market, and they assume that he probably would implement some terriffs, certainly on China, probably some ten percent dish tariffs across the board, with lots of cronyism and loopholes. Right, but this is like on top you know, markets have assumed for a long time that Republicans are good for Actually it's a little more complicate than that. Right in twenty sixteen, the market thought overnight that Trump winting would be bad for stocks, the reverse course, literally overnight. So like the market after Trump one in twenty sixteen went from being way down to way up in fact the next day. But now Wall Street has completely lost confidence in Trump. And as you mentioned, I mean Elon, who literally a few days ago was pictured in a hat saying Trump is right about everything, is now kind of publicly subtweeting Trump, critiquing Trump advisors like Peter Navarro and reportedly corn To the Washington Post is also working behind the scenes to try to get Trump to reverses hera So credit credit to Elon, Right, it changes a lot for him to see that shit's going wrong. But like, but you know, if he's reversing course and Bill Lackman is reversing course and like very little elite support and the few like Silicon Valley VC types who are defending Trump looked fucking ridiculous, right, You know, I could name names if I wanted to, but you guys are fucking idiots. That's the only only way to put it. Anyway. How do you feel, Maria, Well, I mean you check your investments you have yeah.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, no, I mean that this is one of those moments where you know, usually the the right answers don't actively trade. Right, you're not you are not a day trader, and that's I think true for for most people. Right, if you're not a professional, just let it ride right. Look for the long term, this is really I hate using the word unprecedented, right, because you know, we've had major economic downturn moments like this, but I think it is unprecedented, at least a lot of the experts are saying it is in the sense that it's completely self cost. Right. There's no external thing that is actually precipitating this market crash, which is what has happened every other time, you know, during COVID nineteen eighty seven, like all of these times, the seventies oil shocks, right, all of these shocks were kind of huge global events that ended up doing tremendous damage to the stock market in the short term. This is something that doesn't didn't need to happen, right, Like, this is something that is entirely self cost. It's just Trump making this decision. And apparently, according to some of his advisors who are speaking anonymously, he is in his I don't give a fuck stage where he's not listening to advisors. He's golfing, and he's saying, you know what, this is what I want to do, and this is what I'm going to do, and I don't care if all of my closest advisors are telling me, I'm taking the economy, which is a huge, huge shift right from Trump Part one, right where he really cared about the market and was really sensitive to what the market was saying. And it's also a shift from what we saw in the early days of his presidency in Trump Part two, where you know, he was actually threatening tariffs and then going back and we even had you know, a Risky Business episode where we were talking about kind of what kind of game theory is this right where you where you where you threaten something and then people give fake concessions that aren't really concessions and you're like, Okay, just kidding, Like I've asserted my dominance. Let's continue on. And now he's like, you know what, No, Like, I'm going to do this for real. I'm going to do this big. I don't care about the math. Obviously, we know Trump never likes to say he's wrong, so he's not going to say he's wrong this time around. They're people He's like, oh, they just need to acknowledge the mistake. No, he's never going to do that. But it seems like there's been some sort of fundamental shift in the way he's thinking about the strategically where he's just like, fine, I'll tank the economy, no paid, no gain, but we don't even know what the gain is. No.
Speaker 2: Look, I'm reading this book on Joe Biden called Fight by Jonathan Allen and Amy Parns. It's a new book that's out. That's very a very good book about how people all around Joe Biden saw how Biden was losing his fastball and his curveball and his breaking pitch and his change up and everything else, right, and he was really not performing very well at all. But Democrats got stuck in a position where he was you know, he was going to be the nominee anyway. But the point is that, like when you get old and Trump is the same age, now somebody as Biden was at the start of his first term, you get even more stubborn. You know, Can I be honest, Maria, you can. I kind of miss Jared Kushner. I kind of miss.
Speaker 1: That's not where I thought that sentence was gonna go.
Speaker 2: I kind of miss having these more or less normal Republicans right who who were close to Trump and trying to steer them the digression and hey, you want to win reelection, Hey you don't want to like undermine because I think now, like all the other stuff that Trump is trying to do, the cultural backlash and whatever else right where. You know, I might agree with parts of it and disgree with other parts of it, but like, that's all gonna be jeopardized if people are like, you won an election on inflation, and now you're tanking the economy, particularly through by the way, people have this weird abstract discussion online about like, okay, well, who has investments in the stock market. Actually, by the way, about sixty percent of people do have investments in the stock market, so it's a pretty common thing. But also, like, you're gonna about to make a bunch of shit much more expensive. Children's toys are gonna become much more expensive because they're made in countries like Vietnam in Southeast Asia that are heavily taraffed. Right, you want to furnitu your home. A lot of furniture is made abroad. You want to you know, buy some yard, I mean all this stuff. You want to buy avocados for your fucking burrito, right, Like all this stuff comes from like foreign countries. I think actually Canada and next come, now, have some of the more exemptions in other countries. But like, it's gonna make stuff notably more expensive to have people love the idea of you love to have your nice American manufactured nikes, right, Well, they're gonna cost a hundred bucks instead of one hundred bucks, right, I can afford that, you know, I have a partner who is a fan of nice shoes. Right. But, like, this is gonna hit consumers hard. And although Silicon Valley stocks are down more than the consensus, so are a lot of consumer staples. It looks very recessionary. Booze and tobacco stocks are up though, which is also a sign of like despair. McDonald's is up, Taco bill.
Speaker 1: Up right now, When you when you see that those are the stocks that are up, you start being nervous. And then when you see things like the price of copper is down, right, Like that is a very good marker of recession as well, because it means that demand has is going is going to go down. You know, we've also seen in the last week with the kind of the FED conference and the FED announcements that like, you know, the FED isn't a really tough spot as well, right, because like what what do you do right when when inflation is going to go up? And you know you but you, but you've got this person in the White House who's making these decisions about tariffs, where like what do you do? It's like a rock and a hard place, right, Like keep rates the same, lower them, raise them, Like there's there's no good answer here, and the FED is supposed to kind of come in and try to stabilize things and try to calm the worries. And there's you know, if when we're talking about the game theory, when we're talking about like the long run and what is the strategic thinking here? I don't know, right, Like this is one of those where like there's no good choice, right, like which box are we trying to get to while the tariffs are at this height? Like I don't think we're just in a part of a game tree that like I don't know how to resolve it. Well, maybe there's some brilliant economists out there who does. But all the brilliant economists I've been reading have no idea how to get out of this mess. If Trump does not back down.
Speaker 2: We'll be right back after this message. Yeah, Maria, I think that we're in a real pickle, right, you know, in part because like i mean, Trump claims this is for negotiating leverage. And by the way, Zimbabwe did rescind it's tariffs. It's relatively minor terriffs in the United States, if we're starting at the back of the eye off a bit and moving upward. But like, but there are a few things here, what is that, Like this tariff policy may literally have been implemented by an intern using chat GPT. If you ask chat GPT or other large language models, hey, come up with a quick formula to determine tariff rates. Right, It'll sometimes just say, oh, let's just look at the trade deficit. This is actually very stupid, Like we have a big trade deficit with Vietnam because they're a kind of lower middle class economy relative to the rest of the world, where fairly productive about producing toys and electronic equipment and you know, and certain types of food stuffs, and there are things which we then import. But the GDP per capita is I'm just gussing, like four thousand bucks a year or something, and so like not a big market for American made consumer goods. They're also near China, Thailand, Japan, Korea, et cetera, where cheaper to import, right and so like, so like you know, that's a win win the unless you're concerned about unfairly ebor practices, which is usually not the price of the right. Right, that's a win win that they make stuff, We pay for this stuff, We give them jobs. They do not buy that much of our stuff. But that's okay, right, I mean Trump literally doesn't realize that, like a trade def it's not inherently a bad thing. So it's the clumsiness of that rather than like if you had said we're gonna have fifteen percent tariffs across the board, right, the market would have reacted to that, but not so negatively as these haphazard things. And by the way, the fact that like this terraffs are these are going to cause us so much pain, give us less leverage beyond a certain point, right, because that it kind of becomes a game of chicken where we have to like prove that we have removed the steering wheel and now can't unflinched. By the way, notwithstanding that they're contradictory rationales. So or you'll see the Peter Navarro fucking idiot types I'm sorry, Peter Navarro. You know, you'll see idiots like Peter Navarro who are like, we actually need this for America's long term growth or whatever else, and others say no, just a negotiating ploy right, which are different. One is kind of considering these are bad, but we want to actually lower tariffs, and ones say no, tariffs are gonna be want reshoring of American enterprise will through some kocamane scheme, we will reduce deficits, even though if we go into recessions that entails more spending and worsening the fiscal picture long term. But it's contradictory and other countries to be like, you know what, fuck you Donald Trump, right, we think that eventually you'll be forced to blink by the market, or eventually by Congress, which does is supposed to have in the constitution authority for tariff policy specifically and for funding the government generally. Now Congress also being idiots like not quite in the same way that per Navarro is, but like has delegated more and more authority to the executive. It's occurred under both democratic and Republican administrations. Right, And so there are lawsuits to stop Trump's tariffs. I'm not a legal scholar. I don't know whether most of it is legal and some of it violence principles. But Congress does have the power to pass a lot saying stop this. They will ultimately need two thirds majorities because Trump has threatened and I think I believe would detail these threats. They also need, by the way, to get on the floor in the House, because the floor of the House is more partisan. Right, the House Speaker Mike Johnson doesn't want to put to me on the floor. You have to do what file. It's called a discharge petition where it takes thirty days. You get to get a bunch of signatures, and then you're required to do that, right, And that usually happens when the opposition party Democrats almost have a majority in the House, but not quite, and then a small number of sanaders or representers rather in the governing party sign on. Then you're forced to like actually take a measure to the floor. Right, and so that would be at best like three days away. But yeah, the economy goes into a recession, then I don't know, right. People would say it's a high risk, high reward, bet, I'm not sure what the reward is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's that's kind of the other part of it, like what is the reward? But I was gonna I was going to ask what you think that because to me it seems like a pipe dream, this whole congressional action thing, Like, yes, technically Congress can do something, but do you have any kind of thoughts on how likely that actually is, because to me, it seems like there's just no way they're going to get sixty seven right in the Senate. There's no way that the House is going to work. Like. It seems to me like I don't know what has to happen for Congress to actually like get its shit together and be like, no, this is not going to stand.
Speaker 2: I think the Senate is not. So You've already had some Republicans sign on to different resolutions in the Senate disapproving of Trump's tariffs, either generally or on canademics so specifically, right, Like, I don't think sixty in the Senate, which would at least pass a filibuster, is so hard. I'm not even sure sixty seven is that hard. Right, It's the House. It's the House where you know the first one third of districts are really read because of jerrymandering and population self sorting. Right, the House leader has not been on board with this, although you know, you did have some races last week, two special elections where Democrats outperformed Trump numbers by about like seventeen points, right, the loss. But these are districts that are extremely red in rural parts of Florida. And so if that's true, then like, you know, look, you'd be talking about like an epic route. I don't want to put numbers on it and then get quoted or misquoted later on. But like if you're like a business deciding whether you know your restoration hardware, which I mentioned because it's a bougie stock, but also the company was hit hardest the first day after the tarif announcement, right, their supply change is very big.
Speaker 1: During the call, during.
Speaker 2: The call, he also, you know, it's also like I said, it's kind of bougie. You know, I don't really you don't really need anything for restoration harder. Let's be honest, right, it's not a store for necessities.
Speaker 1: I have a couch from there.
Speaker 2: You do good? I did. We can afford some rah furniture. But like, if you're in a recession, those extensive couches, you know, are as important as your Marlboro Reds and bud Lights and McDonald's. And I'm somewhat joking, but like you do see downshifting in consumer preferences from the upper middle brow to the upper lower brown kind of everything everything in between, and the luxury in for that matter too. Right, So sorry, I lost between of foot what we're talking about.
Speaker 1: We were talking about that. We were talking about the house and how likely it is that we can actually get something down there. You were saying that one third of the districts are incredibly conservative.
Speaker 2: If you're talking if your company planning for Okay, let's let's reshore our supply chain restoration hardware. Let's find a bunch of artisanal furniture makers in Knoxville, Tennessee, and Williamsburg, Brooklyn in place like that, and long term will get some costs down and it'll be good.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: The problem is that like these terraffs could be rescinded at any time, If not now, then in twenty twenty six after the midterms. If not then then in twenty twenty eight, when at this point I think I'd consider Democrats a little bit over fifty percent to retake the White House, right, So like, it's not like the sort of long term stability that you would want. And in fact, the public is against this policy and it might lead to fewer tariffs in the very long run, but an abdication of reliable American leadership and responsibility. So it's just it's just kind of a mess.
Speaker 1: It is a mess. We were also talking about kind of what the long term is. Now. There's one theory that I've seen that seems at least worthy of consideration. I don't want to say, you know, plausible, but worthy of discussion, and that's that the long term here is just like an autocratic poaragram, right, that the idea is like we tank everything and then we give concessions to the people who are nice.
Speaker 2: To think you've been nice. I don't buy this at all. So I was wondering.
Speaker 1: That's why I said, I'm not going to say plausible. Yeah, that's why I phrased it the way I did.
Speaker 2: I buy that Trump has strong autocratic tendencies. I buy that some of the stuff he's doing on immigration and free speeches, you know, autocratic. Right, And there was January sixth, of course, right, I don't think this is a strategy that you'd implement if you wanted to gain I mean, I think this jeopardized the whole Trump agenda, right, and this is at least going to have, like Congress habits back up and the markets have its back up. And you know, I've rarely seen everyone from maybe there are a few people on the left that have eccentric views about terrorists. They can go discuss some one blue sky. That's fine with me, right, But like, you know, I haven't seen the kind of what I call the Obama base right, which is like everyone from the center right who is pissed off at Bush to the left as united against something as they are against Trump right now, right, And like those are elites, those aren't rank and file voters. Yet We've seen some decline in Trump's popularity ratings, but like it will take some time for that to cycle through, and maybe they can be averted if we somehow avoid an economic downturn. But like this weakens Trump's powers a lot. Right, people are willing to go along with a lot when you're providing for them, right, and your checks are cashing and goods are cheap and things like that, Right, even in autocracies, economic crises can topple dictators, right. I think the people who are worried about democratic backsliding are correct to be worried about it. About I think the theory is kind of the opposite of what this is likely to do.
Speaker 1: Yeah. No, I think that that is people trying to impart a goal and kind of an intentionality here where there's none right, where it's just like a kid being like, I want to do this. I want to be I want to be the bully, and I'm going to do this and you can't stop me. You try to stop me right now. So I tend to agree with you that that it seems a little bit too far fast, that this is one of those levers and we'll be back right after this. I'd love to shift the lens a little bit, so so Trump. I think we've talked about the fact that this it's very difficult to know what the long term game theory of this is and probably none right that he's just taking the economy doing this and kind of inflicting a lot of damage. But what about kind of the the other end of it, Us as consumers or people who actually have power talked about what Congress can do. But in this case, like obviously, you never, you know, to take a poker analogy, you never want to make decisions when you're tilted right, when you're kind of when you're really upset, when you're suffering big losses. You know, if you're looking at your portfolio going down downtown, you know, these are things that are like, you know, you've lost a big poker hand, your your chips are dwindling, and that's not usually the time to make big swings and to try to think logically. But in this particular case, like this is one of those things where not panicking and just kind of also sitting back down and just letting it all play out might not be the right strategy either, right, they kind of don't just don't just do something. Stand there types of things. But how do we you know, how do we kind of square that circle? And how do we react without tilting right, without overreacting? How do we try to navigate this environment where there's just extreme uncertainty? And as I think you're making a really good point when you said, like we don't know, right if we knew for with one hundred percent certainty, these tariffs are going to stay for the next two years at least. Okay, then you can make decisions in that context. But we don't know right Like as of now, we know that Trump says he's not backing down, but we don't actually know what's going to happen. We don't know what the reactions are going to be. We see certain signs, we see Europe banding together, you know, we see the rest of the world actually trying to figure out what do we do now? But how do you think about it? Right? How do you think about it when you're trying to make your own decisions and try to be a good player as opposed to a tilted player.
Speaker 2: Practice your Canadian accents that when you travel to Vancouver or whatever. Oh sorry, they don't think you're an American. I guess it's part of it.
Speaker 1: I can start my a's at the end of sentences.
Speaker 2: No, I think you know. Look, if you're a business that relies on a heavily domestic supply chain, I guess you're somewhat okay. You know, Goodyear Tire because they're very domestic, has seen their stock price too well, but also because people replace their tires a Good Year when they're not replacing their cars, right and so like, even like the bullish cases are barish and like, you know, it's very very broad based. Yeah, I don't know if they are good protections. I mean, you know, look, sometimes in a recession things become cheaper at least I mean, it might not be a terrible time in X months to look at housing if you don't own well, because housing is something where people are it's cyclical and like people are you know, really reluctant to make like big ticket purchases and like a downturn and you know, should not be substantially affected by foreign goods, right. I mean, I'm sure you're importing some building materials from abroad, but like you know, most lumber we're cutting down right here in the United States, Maria, so like, But apart from that, I mean, I think you're like a little bit defenseless, apart from like having to reason with yourself about like, oh am I a person who is annoyed because this cuts into my retirement savings. But I basically can live my life as I want to. Or if you're someone where like it kind of has causes a threat at short term time horizon is right, if you're a small business owner that relies on imported goods of different kinds, and or middle class customers who are seeing their pocket books pinched. Then like, it's not it's not great right now, right, I mean, probably should shift you to having more of a long term focus, I guess. But the long term provides a lot of uncertainty too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, even some you know, I was actually looking at some supply chains because I was very curious about this, and see, even some domestic seeming products actually have components that that you wouldn't think about that are imported. Like some domestic water have plastic manufacturers for their water bottles that are not in the United States. So even things that are you know, good old American water, like good old American this, the supply chains are incredibly complicated. And you know, the people saying that, oh, well, bring manufacturing to the US, I don't think they realize what that actually means, right, Like, there's a reason that that manufacturing has shifted. I don't think people want a factory in their backyard. I don't think people want to be working a lot of those factory jobs. I mean, I don't think that those supply chains, and even if all those things are like, yes, absolutely, let's change the supply chains. How long does that take? Right, like in the immediate term? Like that that is not that is not something that we can do right away. So as individuals, like we're relatively powerless, not powerless, but we just there is no good advice in the sense that we don't know what's going to happen. Do you think that there are people who can do something right? Like, who are the people who might be able to influence something other than Elon Musk? Maybe unless kind of this result in Elon Musk being thrust out of the inner circle because he's subtweeting Trump and talking about how he thinks that we should have free trade. So who are people who might actually make a difference where they're decision making right now actually matters.
Speaker 2: The one hundred members of the United States Senate and the fourhund and threety five members of the United States House. I mean, or but I always am a little bit reluctant to like have calls to activism. But you know, look, if you're a person, whatever your political orientation, sitting in a Senate or House seat where there's a relatively safe Republican member or for the matter, there's a Democrat who's being a little you know, oh terrorist, maybe it's good. I don't know, I don't know. You know, call your fucking congress person, right and say, like, especially if you're somebody who's donated, or if you're somebody who runs a small business in that district, say this is gonna fuck me up. Where this is not going to help the working class, right, this is not going to help the middle income consumer. Yeah, I mean, let you know, let Congress know. To be honest, I think they probably do know that, frankly, but like because they are aware of what's going on in their district and this is not some abstract cultural warfight. But Congress is responsive to to don't call somebody not in your district, right, Yeah, pick up the phone with the person who's who represents you and let them know how you feel.
Speaker 1: Yeah. No, I think this is this is definitely a moment for a call to action. There have been others, but this is one where it could actually be effective.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: It's it's not particularly effective to you know, call your Republican Senate or a representative, like if you're a Democrat and it's a democratic talking point, but something like this, like I actually think that this could really be effective because you know, they they worry, they need to be they need to be supported within their districts as well. And this is one moment where I think that across the board, we're seeing people, you know, people really not happy, and this is I think this is also actually an interesting opportunity to try to reach kind of the everyman and say, look, you know, Trump isn't working for you, because this is something where I think you can actually reach a lot of people across the divide and say, hey, look, no, this is not this is not good for your average American. This is not good for like bottom line of Joe from from where from Where's Joe from Pennsylvania? Okay, Joe from Pennsylvania. That this is not good for his for his pocket for his bottom line, for his retirement, for his ability to buy food, that that this is just not good all around. And so that might be one silver lining if people actually do finally mobilize and get Congress to get off their ass and do something and stand up to Trump and say, look, these tariffs are not good for the country and not good for the global economy. And if we want America first. You know, you don't want you don't want to have to have America alone and everyone else against us.
Speaker 2: Marie, I think we need to wrap this up because I literally have a train to catch on going to Philadelphia.
Speaker 1: Are you going to Philadelphia for poker night?
Speaker 2: Not for poker, no poker, for an event at of Pennsylvania.
Speaker 1: Okay, we'll have a wonderful event, and if you want to join me in Philadelphia in two weeks, I'll be going there for poker. For the poker so.
Speaker 2: See if the partner gives poker permission. We'll see about that. The series is coming up, which I intend to spend a fair bit of time at, so we'll see maybe.
Speaker 1: All right, well, well that sounds good. Have a very safe trip to Philadelphia, and I hope that we'll have better news for our listeners next week when it comes to the markets. But at this point hope doesn't get us very far. Let us know what you think of the show. Reach out to us at Risky Business at Pushkin dot fm. And by the way, if you're a Pushkin Plus subscriber, we have some bonus content for you. We'll be answering a listener question each week that's coming up right after the credits.
Speaker 2: And if you're not subscribing yet, consider signing up for just six ninety nine a month. What a nice price. You get access to all that premium content and ad for listening across at Pushkin's entire network of shows.
Speaker 1: Risky Business is hosted by me Maria Kanakova.
Speaker 2: And by me Nate Silver. The show is a co production of Pushkin Industries and Heart and Media. This episode was produced by Isabel Carter. Our associate producer is Gabriel Hunter Chang. Sally Helm is our editor, and our executive producer is Jacob Goldstein. Mixing by Sarah Bruger.
Speaker 1: If you like this show, please rate and review us so other people can find us too. Thanks so much for tuning in.