Speaker 1: Hey, it's Amy here and we are back with another Sunday sampler. It's clips from some of the podcasts that came out this week on the Nashville Podcast Network, like The Bobby Cast, my podcast Four Things with Amy Brown, so Losers with Lunchbox, and Ray Movie, Mike's Movie podcast, Get Real with Caroline Hobby, and more. This week on the Bobby Cast, Bobby talked with radio veterans Tony Randall and Chris Rochester of The Tony and Chris Show. They've been in radio over thirty years, so they have a bunch of stories, like the time they interviewed Garth before he was famous. As you may know, a new podcast joined the Nashville Podcast Network Family a few weeks ago. It's called In the Vets Office with Doctor Josie and it's all about animals. So check that out if you haven't. Josie's an amazing storyteller. You're gonna love it. And another podcast, It's Near to the Fam is Take This Personally with Morgan Hulsman. This week she had on two guests, therapist doctor Alexandra Solomon and country artist Kylie Morgan. So you're going to hear from both of them. Let's get started with a clip from Take This Personally.
Speaker 2: This week, I have on doctor Solomon, who is beyond an expert with over twenty years of experience. She studied psychology and women's studies at the University of Michigan, and she also received her PhD in counseling psychology.
Speaker 3: Thank you for joining me, and.
Speaker 2: I want to get your expertise on several topics, but we're going to dive right into the deep end.
Speaker 4: To start, I.
Speaker 2: Want to talk to you about the ways that we invalidate ourselves. I'm guilty of it. I know a lot of people are of saying others have it worse. How do we get away from doing that and feeling that way?
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, yeah, Well the only way that I know how to do it is with something in something that comes from psychology, which is called dialectics. So dialectics. You know, our research has shown that a lot of our emotional resilience and emotional well being rests upon our ability to hold a dialectic. And a dialectic is a space where competing truths, where two things are true at the same time, two things that seem opposite are actually both true. I had a terrible day and I am blessed. Those both are true. We can be blessed and suffering that both those things can be true. I don't have to prove that I have it worse than anybody else in order to be entitled to my suffering, and the way that I do that is by holding both my grief and my gratitude, my courage and my fear, the fact that I'm whole as I am, and I'm.
Speaker 6: Forever a work in progress.
Speaker 5: Like these things that just seem like they can't possibly both be true at the same time are as part of the thing that makes being.
Speaker 6: Alive so complicated.
Speaker 5: So I think if I have one of those moments, I certainly have had those moments where I am just in the suck. I am just like suffering and struggling and want to host a big old pity party for myself. And then I'm just like, ah, I'm being ridiculous because there are people who have, you know, quote unquote actual problems.
Speaker 6: Both those things are true.
Speaker 5: Yes, I am absolutely blessed and I am absolutely burnt out or struggling. So that's where I try to go, because You're right, if I cannot validate my own suffering. You can bet that I'm not going to be able to validate the suffering of people around me, and then I'm not going to be very fun to be around because I'm going to be judgmental and dismissive, you know, and like roll my eyes at people. And that's not going to be a recipe for healthy relationships.
Speaker 2: And being self aware is kind of one of the big buzzwords right now in psychology and therapy.
Speaker 4: Visit living up to all the hypes. Should we be focusing so much on that? And what does that look like?
Speaker 2: If somebody hasn't ever heard the word self aware and they're like, what do I need to do with that? What would be the first steps you'd tell someone to get through this first phase to be on that journey.
Speaker 6: Self awareness is my that's my jam.
Speaker 5: That's how I spend really all day every day is supporting people in different ways to understand with curiosity and with compassion who they are and why they are the way that they are.
Speaker 6: And I think it's it is essential.
Speaker 5: If what people want is high quality relationships, whether that's relationship with partner, relationship with their family members, relationship with their kids, we have to be willing to get curious about why we are reacting the way we are reacting in any given moment, like that's just the work of it. So I think the first step is to just begin to notice how we're talking to ourselves, notice when we have rise and fall of different emotions during the day, Like just getting really curious and starting to view our thoughts and our feelings and our behaviors as data. It's just data that we then can sit with and wonder about. I think one of the things, you know, you started off by asking about kind of what's changed in the last couple of decades the whole field of self help. As I was growing up in the eighties, my mom always had a stack of self help books next to her nightstand. So self help isn't new necessarily, but we're living in this really exciting time with social media of podcasts where there's so many resources that somebody can bring in, and I think just listening to different podcasts that are about relationships or about psychology, or reading, you know, following different Instagram accounts, there's like daily small doses of self awareness work. I think those are really gentle ways to start, especially if someone's not interested in committing to therapy or something like that. But there's little things we can do each day to just begin to check in with ourselves.
Speaker 2: How do you suggest I think it's hard for people to receive feedback. There's criticism and there's unkindness, but then there's feedback. And because of social media, there is also this other side that we've seen, this very cruel side of the world. So it's really easy to loop in feedback with criticism and negativity. So how do we kind of look at something like, Okay, this is feedback to help me versus criticism to hurt me.
Speaker 6: That's right.
Speaker 5: I think that's a very very good point. It's all about the strength of the relationship.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I will not take feedback from somebody where I have a sense that there's an ulterior motive or a hidden agenda, or a lack of willingness to be in dialogue with me, in community with me. I won't take feedback from somebody where if I don't have a sense that somebody has my back or has my best interest at heart, or who really can feel the core of me as a good, decent person, they don't get the right to give me feedback. Right, You know and that so that I think it really is about the strength that's I want us to be cultivating the kinds of relationships where there's enough trust that then feedback feels like a generous gift rather than an attack. And that's what there was right with my husband. I trust that he's in my corner. I trust that he has my back. I trust that whatever he wants and needs to say to me is in the service of everyone in our family feeling safe and understand and held and celebrated, rather than to take me down or to prove some point or to diminish me.
Speaker 7: You guys go to San Diego. How long were you on together in San Diego?
Speaker 8: Ninety three to two and fifteen years?
Speaker 9: Fifteen years?
Speaker 10: I think, well, that last year was just paid out there.
Speaker 9: You got paid for a whole year.
Speaker 11: Oh more than that.
Speaker 9: It was the craziest thing.
Speaker 8: We won't go into the radio company that did it, but before it was we were making really good money. That they had built a station across the street for us, and we went across the street and then halfway through it we were number one, beating our old station that had never been beaten before.
Speaker 7: Okay, let me let me for those that don't know, so across the street means a rival. So you were working at a different station and a clear channel built a station and then they said, hey, come so they hired you away from your old station.
Speaker 9: Yes, got it, And.
Speaker 8: We were crushing like they put a ridiculous bonus in if you could beat your old station because it was always number one, and we did it in the first book and everybody was losing their mind.
Speaker 10: And then a new Jane clarify one quick thing. They didn't hire us away like we just went for more money. There's a story behind it. We wanted to stay at Casso Win. Oh if we were there for ten years, wasn't a big contract negotiations?
Speaker 9: Then you picked them.
Speaker 10: It was a big contract negotiation. The contract had been negotiated in principle. We just hadn't signed the contract yet. Everything was done for our wives. I delay it is great. And then the VP at the at that time was an insurance company that owned Cassel Lincoln Financial. She saw it the deal and she said, what what are we doing. We're not paying these guys this money and they're like, yes we are. This is what the market will bear, this is what the top shows are making. She says, well, we've never paid a show this much and we're not doing that. So she renegged on the deal.
Speaker 8: Wow, she next the deal just and then she sent word down when they'll either take it what they're doing for another year one year contract so we can find someone cheaper, or they can go to another market and we'll tell everybody they ditched for more money.
Speaker 10: And that was the caso in way because there were some names that came out of there. Jack Diamond back in the day, Lisa Dent who went to Chicago had great success. It was a station where if you left, if you were successful and left, you left the city. Nobody had ever stayed because there was no country station who would take him on ever. So this was right before the holidays. It was weird because we always took two weeks off at the end of the year and we're packing up our stuff. But then we basically called the buddy of ours and said, hey, can you come help us get this out. We're going to empty out the office because we knew when we left we were leaving for good. And our agent called the guy's a clear channel and said, hey, would you be interested in Tony and Chris, and they were like, absolutely, but they'll never leave KSOM. I mean, they're killing it over there. And he was a funny story and he told them what happened.
Speaker 12: They said.
Speaker 10: The guy was like, give me a couple of days because now we're in the holidays. Books are closed. Obviously, long story short, it got done. And when we left Kson before Christmas two weeks before, came back in January to a brand new radio station that had been built for us.
Speaker 7: Was that a super stressful, intense time for you guys. Yes, that you talk about it now, it's like how ham But really at the time, it was like, oh my god, horrible. Yeah, I'm like, what am I going to do?
Speaker 8: I've I got he hurt, even though the other station you loved everybody at the other station, and then you're coming on and it was just weird and like jealous that there's people in our seats and across the street.
Speaker 9: How quickly did they hire someone new? Pretty quick? They had to Actually, I take that back, like a year.
Speaker 10: They put in like a mid the midday guy and somebody and they were on there for that only it was a year.
Speaker 9: And they're dead man walking. It almost doesn't matter who it is.
Speaker 10: Yeah, they knew well they and the nice thing about to their credit, they weren't hiring them to do the morning show and then get rid of them when they were done. The guy stayed on with the company for a while doing midday the things, but you know, they did what they had to do, and then they hired a show that was, in my opinion, not awesome. But it's tough because they're putting people together who weren't already a show, and that's that's risky.
Speaker 9: What was it like at the new place?
Speaker 10: Initially?
Speaker 9: It was great initially well with.
Speaker 8: The GM when he hired us, he goes, look, our afternoon guy is a good kid, he's the PD. Will you guys kind of train him how to be a PD?
Speaker 9: And you knew how to be a PD? Huh did you guys know how to be a PD?
Speaker 13: Well?
Speaker 9: I think we knew. We knew how to be cast on by the best.
Speaker 10: We knew how to be KSL.
Speaker 8: And so then we would say, like, the first thing they're going to do is say call all the record labels and say if you do anything with them, we're not going to play the records. So we said, let's get the PD or the music director at k and I X to be our music director also, so that takes away that leverage.
Speaker 9: And you know, so we were little things like that. It was a brand new station.
Speaker 10: We weren't reporting, but ANIX was and so it was Gwynn Foster so and so that that held. They couldn't say, well, we won't play it anymore. So well neither were Canix.
Speaker 8: So we we crushed them and we're I mean, it was just rocking and it was great. And then the new GM come in and the new GM. The afternoon jock was not the PD was not smart.
Speaker 9: How long was your turn? Your new contract for five years?
Speaker 8: And when the new GM come in, the GM basically said I don't need a morning show's input.
Speaker 9: I've got a PD right here.
Speaker 10: I didn't believe in country either, So it was we were out of the.
Speaker 9: Gate fundamentally a bad just a bad fit. Yeah.
Speaker 8: And then as soon as that happened, we got cut out of the loop on everything and the decision started being weird. Like I remember one day being at CMA the roundtable thing, and the lady walked up and goes, boy, it's a tough day for you guys. And we're like what, and she goes the PD's calling all the regionals or the record reps and telling them that we don't need you anymore because they decided they're going to start leaning more Old Country.
Speaker 9: We're like what.
Speaker 8: So we had to call and get that stopped, and then like six weeks later, without telling anybody, they flipped it to New Country.
Speaker 9: It was just weird.
Speaker 8: But anyhow, when we were saying the last year we just got paid out, we were calling our agent, and our agent finally just said one day he goes, guys, Paul, you know Paul I do, and he goes, guys, you're trying to win and you will not win. They want you gone, and we're like, well, what do we do? And so we went and said, if you don't want us here, let us out, and they were like, oh no, we want you here, but we need you to sign this. And it was a list of you will not easy ask stuff, You will not talk more than twenty seconds of break, you will never say your name, you will run no imaging with your name.
Speaker 10: If traffic's more than sixty seconds behind out of this window. I mean, all these crazy reasons they could fight out a.
Speaker 7: Where was this coming from, like what you actually have some clarity from it now because you're far removed, But really, what was happening?
Speaker 8: What was the goal in Well, we found out because of an email. Basically they wanted to save the money. Did they were paying you guys, the GM.
Speaker 10: They were trying to get us for cause because it was an ironclad contract.
Speaker 7: And that's why they were giving you all these stipulations. They were ready for you to break one because they were so hard to maintain.
Speaker 8: Paul was just like, take the checks in our building to get out of Remember when the craze happened where everybody was buying everybody. Yes, we had Jeff and jer Dave Shelley and Chainsaw us AJ. The four biggest morning shows in San Diego were all in one hallway and that was a lot of money, a lot of money back then. And they just the new GM come in and goes, I don't want that, Like they replaced our show when we left with two part timers who at one of which had never been in a radio station six weeks before.
Speaker 10: It's kind of like when George gets fired from the Yankees and they're like, who's doing your job now? An intern he comes in on Mondays.
Speaker 7: You know, it's like out that GM came in with a completely different agenda, and he was trying to put the pieces together to eliminate a lot of cash being paid out to talent.
Speaker 9: Didn't believe in talent basically.
Speaker 10: Yeah, it was probably the beginning of the end for talent in San Diego anyway at that time.
Speaker 8: So for a year we just our agent just said, just go in, get do the weather, the calls, and play solitaire all morning and cash those checks.
Speaker 10: So in the meantime, I'll work to get you out of this, and he eventually did and they had to pass eighteen months to do nothing, which is great.
Speaker 14: You're listening to in the ves office with doctor Josie Horschak.
Speaker 15: I'm so excited about our guest today in the VETS office. We have my friend and my mentor, doctor Cindy Charlie, are joining us. Doctor Cindy is a VET that was like me in general practice for quite a while and then she decided to pursue a residency and become a board certified canine and feline a veterinary dentist in oral surgeon. She's really gone on to become the most saw after dental guru really in the vet world, and she has spent years going all over the country training veterinarians about vets industry. She taught me everything I know about VET dentistry, and she has such enthusiasm for the subject that you know, is amazing and really helps educate doctors and owners and she's just it's contagious.
Speaker 4: So I'm excited to have her here today.
Speaker 14: Awesome, All right, let's talk about teeth with doctor Cindy.
Speaker 15: Hi, doctor Cindy, we are so excited to have you in the VETS office today.
Speaker 16: Welcome, thank you, happy to be here.
Speaker 15: I know I mentioned a little bit in my intro, but doctor Cindy was a general practitioner like I am for almost twenty years, and then she decided that she wanted to be a board certified veterinary dentist. Can you explain what exactly that means for the listeners?
Speaker 16: Sure? I always call it my midlife crisis. So what I realized early in my practice career was that nothing had a big impact on how my patients felt than to work in their mouths and eliminate world discomfort. And so I had an opportunity to become a specialist. Just like as a person you go to an oncologist or a radiologist or internal medicine specialist. All those specialists exist in the world of veterinary medicine also, and so I went back to become a board certified veterinary dentist. So there are probably about one hundreds of us or so in the United States, not very many. It's a relatively new specialty in veterary medicine. But I went back and did that because I felt it gave me an opportunity to really impact patients' care.
Speaker 15: And I think a really interesting thing that listeners may not know until they listen to this podcast is that in veterinary medicine, it's very different than in human medicine. When pets come to their general practitioner, we really do what we feel comfortable doing until we're like, this is maybe above my pay grade. I'm going to send them to a specialist. So at any given moment, we can be an ophthalmologist, a dentist, a cardiologist. What are some of the things that you typically see that general practitioners are sending to you rather than doing themselves.
Speaker 16: Yeah, So the greatest thing about being a specialist is we have an opportunity to triangulate. So it's the veterinary specialist, it's the general practitioner, it's the owner, and it's the patients in the middle. So there's three of us putting our heads together to be a as we can about providing the pet with the best care. So some of the common cases that I would have referred to me would be a pet with a fractured tooth for a root canal, a pet with a oral tumor, a cancerous tumor to have treatment for that, a doog that got hit by a car that had a fractured jaw, a hat or kitten that was born with a cleft palate. Like kids are born with cleft palates, puppies and kittens are sometimes born with that. Also, patients that may be a high risk anesthetic patient that the general practitioner isn't comfortable working on. So those types of cases that are beyond what the general practitioners cofortable working on and often get referred.
Speaker 15: I think what would be fun to do is, you know, ICEE patients, every single day, I'm doing an exam from toes to nail, toes to nail nose to tail, and a big part of that is doing a really good thorough oral exam. So a lot of time were talking about dentistry in general practice, and I thought it'd be kind of fun to role play what I'm hearing owners say to me on a daily basis and then hearing what you have to say back. And this is not to make fun of owners or listeners, like this is it's our job to educate you. And you just don't know what. You just don't know, So that's what that's what we're here for. So the very number one thing that I hear when we talk about oral health and dentistry is, you know, doctor Josie, I never brushed my dog's teeth growing up. We never had any issues. And now you're recommending a teeth cleaning or a dental for my pet, and it's so expensive, hundreds of dollars, maybe one thousand dollars, Like, why what is going on here?
Speaker 16: Yeah? So years ago, we really didn't pay much attention to the mouth. Even when I graduated from veninary school, I didn't learn much about dogs and cats and their teeth and oral discomfort. I learned dogs and cats had teeth, but that was about it. So we've gotten a lot smarter in ventary medicine as we've gone on, And what we know now now is that oral disease is a huge source of discomfort and pain for the patient. And very seldom will you or did I have a patient come to us or the owner come to us and say, my dog's mouth is painful, my cat's mouth is painful. So that hidden source of discomfort is what we're actor to try to treat before the daughter cat stops eating. And in order to do that, we have to put the patients under general anesthesia. Our patients don't just open their mouths and say, ah, clean my teeth and do a complete oral exam, so general anesthesia, preoperative lab work, providing the best pre anesthetic evaluation that we can, providing monitoring during anesthetic event. All of those things cost money and require talented people on our team to assist us. And so yes, doing a dentistry procedure under general anesthesia can be expensive, but if we make it part of our pets annual care, If we do an annual procedure, then that could be less expensive over time. Instead of ignoring the fact until we get to the point where the jargat cat isn't eating and they've got a tremendous amount of discomfort, and we have to impove a lot of their teeth to a lot of oral surgery that becomes more expensive.
Speaker 15: Yeah, and I think you know, owners just don't know on the back end that there's so much that goes on. It's not just a teeth cleaning, like you said, it's we've got all those nurses that are helping with you know, getting them ready for surgery and inducing them, intimating them. It's just like all the things that would happen to humans at the human hospital. So there's a lot of talented people involved. There's a lot of work that goes on behind the scenes. And then it's not just a dental cleaning. We're taking full mouth X rays, which is a huge diagnostic tool. I'll maybe let you expand on that a little bit. And you know, cleaning is a kind of belittling what we do because we use high speed hand tools to really clean those teeth and then we're probing them to see is their disease that we can see with our eye and around the gun line. I mean, there's a it's a quite a process and it's not just a dental cleaning.
Speaker 16: Yeah, I think the word dental. Historically we've used the word dental to describe what we're doing, and that totally under estimates the time, skill, and talent needed to complete the procedure. So a comprehensive oral and radiographic evaluation under general anesthesia is probably better wording to describe it to clients.
Speaker 2: It's not just.
Speaker 16: Getting your clean. It's not what you think the groomor may or may not be able to do. There's a lot more to it.
Speaker 17: Good little food for yourself. Oh, it's pretty bad, it's pretty beautiful. Beautiful.
Speaker 4: That's a little more said.
Speaker 17: You're kicking with full thing with Amy Brown.
Speaker 1: All right, I got four questions to ask your friends or your kids around the dinner table, or your significant other, whoever you hang out with your coworkers like this, just little conversation starters that could be good. And we do high low around the dinner table a lot. When my niece was here, she had a friend visiting her for the weekend and we were doing high low and her friend said, Oh, I love rose thorn bud, and you share the rose of what's going on in your life. At the moment, which is a recent success, like it's just it's already there, it's happened, it's awesome. You share a thorn, which is a current challenge that you have, and then you share a bud, like what's budding in your life? What's an opportunity with something you're looking forward to? And so those are three questions right there. What's your rose, what's your thorn, and what's your bud?
Speaker 14: So I'll ask you, Okay, my rose right now is more about my children, but.
Speaker 18: As a mom, that's you know, it's for me.
Speaker 14: We got really good teachers this year and last year we had a very difficult year, so we were nervous about it, and it's just eliminated so much stress for me.
Speaker 1: I think even of just acknowledging that and having gratitude for.
Speaker 18: It is Yeah, this woman's amazing.
Speaker 1: It reminds me of taking all the little things in your day and looking at like what's going right, because sometimes we can get wrapped up in what's going wrong. That's an easy thing to sort of overlook, like, Okay, yeah, we got teachers, they're good, like onto the next But it's pausing and thinking, oh gosh, this actually really is going to be so great for our year, and I'm getting very thankful.
Speaker 14: You really notice it when you didn't have a great year the year before, it matters.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I guess it's probably something I've not really thought much about or taken for granted because I've typically had good teachers. What about a thorn?
Speaker 18: I think I have arthritis.
Speaker 1: That is definitely a thorn.
Speaker 14: I have this burning sensation in my knee. It almost feels like a sunburn. And I don't run and I walk every day, so it could either be runners knee but I don't run, or arthritis, and all signs are pointing towards arthritis. So I officially bought an arthritis brace the other day.
Speaker 1: It can come up at any age, depending on what's been going on. I feel like sometimes when it's going to rain, my joints will flare up. But I definitely don't have arthritis. But yeah, I know some teenagers that really deal with it, and it can be crippling, bilitating.
Speaker 14: You know, I went down the WEBMZ rabbit hole and I have to just turn it off.
Speaker 1: What about a bud for you? An opportunity?
Speaker 18: I have a really exciting brand deal coming up.
Speaker 14: Can you say, who I haven't like finalized it, but zip lock bags?
Speaker 4: Oh that's exciting, isn't that?
Speaker 14: Fun's it was something I had on my vision board to get more brand deals and yeah, we started talking on Instagram with all my recipes and yeah, there's an opportunity there.
Speaker 18: So it's silly, but it's exciting.
Speaker 1: Well, my rose would be Stevenson getting baptized last weekend. That just seeing a beautiful rose lines up with that because there was probably some thorns and buds in that. And to see the growth that he's had and how far he's come in him making that commitment and wanting to and just how excited he was and seeing friends that showed up to celebrate him. Probably had ten buddies there. That's a core memory that came. And yeah, and watching them hug him and high five him and pray over him. Also, he's turning fourteen this weekend, so that's a rose as well. A thorn for me would be I love my daughter Sashi, a lover, She's amazing. Just a recent little thorn was she put Hannah all over her face right before the baptism.
Speaker 18: Hannah like a Hannah tattoo. That lasts for weeks.
Speaker 1: Right, well according to Google, because I was freaking out trying to google how long is this going to last? And we need to get it off asap, and it said anywhere from four days to three weeks. Yeah, depending on how long you leave the hennah on because you have to let it set all about it twelve hours. Luckily we got it off in time to where it didn't do much permanent stuff. But I mean I was getting baby oil and lemon and scrubbing and all. The thing's kind of hilarious. It was hilarious. But Ben's family was coming in town baptism. There's any family photos out in place. She was starting school two days after that, and her new job. She's a hostess. And I said, you're front facing at it. You were totally the face of the restaurant. And you have hando tattoo all over your face, which is beautiful in some culture, is not your culture, right.
Speaker 4: But it's also typically on your hand.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well she put on the face.
Speaker 18: That's hilarious.
Speaker 1: And then my bud would be an opportunity that I have might be that I just saw a sign to get another cat, because there's this big headline that said having a cat reduces risk of a heart attack by thirty percent. So I'm like, what an opportunity. I wonder what dogs do? Well. I love my dog, but she sort of stressed out sometimes, and my cat doesn't stress me.
Speaker 14: How he is pretty great And I am not a cat person, and Maggie's wonderful.
Speaker 18: I will second that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she's sitting here with us now. So if you're looking for your sign to get a cat, A ten year study conducted by the University of Minnesota's Stroke Institute found that having a feline friend can reduce the risk of a heart attack by over thirty percent. These scientists followed over four thousand people and discovered the cat owners had much lower risk of cardiovascular disease.
Speaker 4: So, huh, bring on the cats.
Speaker 19: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And then the final question for this section, so again, you're playing this game with your girlfriends, your kids, you do rosebud Thorn. And then if you did not know the day you were born, how old would you be?
Speaker 14: Okay, I have two answers. Mentally, I'm like eighty seven. I feel like I know a lot just having such a crazy childhood. You know, I remember being eighteen saying to my mom do you feel or however old she was, she was in fifty forty, and she was like, no, I feel the same way I felt when I was eighteen. So there's a part of me that still feels hip. But I realized very quickly I'm not sometimes, but I think if I was in a room by myself, in my head, I'm still like eighteen.
Speaker 18: So that's a double answer. I'm eighty seven and eighteen.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah.
Speaker 4: I kind of like that.
Speaker 1: You got the wisdom, but you're still young and free, yeah, and fun and all the things. A dead giveaway that you're older, according to gen Z, is if you wear high heels when you go out, because now.
Speaker 4: You see I don't anymore. That's the thing.
Speaker 14: Like I feel like I fall into a lot of the gen Z trends.
Speaker 1: It's probably because you spend a lot of time on TikTok. Yeah yeah, I know. Well now I'm like, okay, I got to start where my sneakers are to go out, because I am just aging myself when I'm putting on my heels, because I still feel like that's what you do to go out. So heads up, put on the sneakers and I'm not this is not me trying to look young, and this is me saying like, thank god, the younger.
Speaker 14: Enation is very yeah, like why would you walk down Broadway in hills if you didn't have to?
Speaker 9: We're gonna do it live.
Speaker 19: Oh, the one, two, three, Sore Losers?
Speaker 13: What up, everybody? I am lunchbox. I know the most about sports, so I'll give you the sports facts, my sports opinions, because I'm pretty much a sports genius, y'all.
Speaker 19: It's Sison. I'm from the North. I'm an alpha male. I live on the north side of Nashville with Bayser, my wife. We do have a farm. It's beautiful, a lot of acreage, no animals, a lot of crops. Hopefully soon corn pumpkins, rye. I believe maybe a little fescue to be determined. Over to you, coach.
Speaker 13: And here's a clip from this week's episode of The Sore Losers. I'll tell you this right now. There's a dad's group see hard path. I'm not doing the dad's text thread. No, no, there's no text, there's no communication. It is just the first Thursday of every month we go out for drinks and I don't know, like a start to the month. Hey, Paul. Yeah, I'm hungover a shit, got drunk.
Speaker 19: First Thursday, by the way, to start August, go and get slaughtered.
Speaker 9: I love it.
Speaker 19: Man.
Speaker 13: Welcome to dudes. Welcome to dude. Listen. And so I don't talk to these people. This is how like I know some of the dads in the neighborhood, like I have their numbers and I text them like that awkward thing about hey, I heard nothing but thugs go to this school. When I see a school sign in his yard and no reply because I don't really know them. It's just the first Thursday of every month. This guy sends out an email. And here's the great thing about guys. You know it's the first Thursday of every month. We don't send it three days in advance and say hey, anybody want to go to this place to grab a drink at you know, eight o'clock on Thursday. He sends it out at noon on Thursday and says, hey, tonight, we're meeting here bro code. So this first Thursday of August we get an email Tenseil and Tangle. Hey, guys, I'm out of town for work, Jesse. You think you could handle this meet up tonight? Jesse replies, Hey, I'm in Arizona all week. Anybody else. So the guy sends it to me and says, hey, you want to organize something. Puts the pressure on me to get the dads together. Just name a spot. So I name a spot. Hey, let's meet at this restaurant, Barcelona Line Bar, eight o'clock. Boom, let's go. Dude, what a turnout. The only problem is the restaurant closed at nine.
Speaker 9: Guys, make it quick.
Speaker 13: So we got there. We got there at eight, like ten, eight ten, and like eight forty someone goes you, guys, realize it's closes at nine. I'm like, no, eight forty five. One of the dad shows up. He was there for fifteen minutes. Yeah, you gotta definitely check times. I've learned that with brunches, we regularly hit a ten thirty.
Speaker 19: A lot of these push eleven when they open. Oh definitely happened where we'll get there at ten thirty. Yep, guys, we're gonna go over there, grab a drink, no reason. We're just see her thirty minutes early and they're not open, so we go to a pre bar before the brunch.
Speaker 13: You're like the people that when I worked at Sam's Club would line up outside the door fifteen minutes before it opens, like they have to have the paper towels right at ten.
Speaker 9: But here's the thing.
Speaker 19: We were spoiled when we live downtown because those places are breakfast slash brunch, so we would just turn them into a brunch, whereas the midtown shit, bro, they're not pushing noon. I mean, if you want to get in and it'd be a good atmosphere, don't go a second before, got it.
Speaker 13: But yeah, so the women do get together, but now the men. I gotta admit. The men do get together, but they don't do it like the women. The women like they have a group. My wife organized it after she heard about the dad's group. She's like, well, I need a mom's group. They just go to someone's house and drink wine and eat.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 19: Snow that first guy that dipped out on you guys that said he was an Arizona or the other one was busy. Yeah, yeah, you can come over and drink my liquor cabinet or whatever beer you want, just don't pay my wife.
Speaker 13: The only we did have one awkward one. We had one awkward one, and.
Speaker 9: It wakes Jim.
Speaker 13: It was last summer and they were like, Hey, we're gonna be over at Hector's house. He has a pool. I'm like, what the kinky? So it was like twelve dads in a backyard in the pool. No women with the hangers. No, no women, no no, because it was dad's night. Hey Jim, what's your wife up to? And what was weird?
Speaker 9: Is you like to swim?
Speaker 13: How many out of twelve? Like, if you're going to a dude's night, right.
Speaker 19: If there's a pool involved, I don't know if I'm gonna get in if it's just dudes, That's what I'm saying. That's the question you have to ask yourself. They did it on this TV show I watch, and it was an all dude get together and they're all on the pool together and it just looks gay, which is fine, there's nothing wrong with that. I'm heterosexual, though, I don't try to get in a pool with five other dudes.
Speaker 13: So then you had to decide like what am I gonna do? Like am I gonna roll up in my bathing suit? Or am I gonna be one that just hangs out on the side of the pool.
Speaker 19: It's tough because then if all the other dads are in, you feel ostracized.
Speaker 13: I didn't know what it was gonna be like. I was like, no way, anybody's really gonna swim, but I'm gonna bring my swimsuit just in case every dude's flipping around. Out of the twelve dudes that showed up, hey John, throw me at floaty, Well, first we just sat on the back patio. Had to drink.
Speaker 9: Hey Jim dive Forard cannon Ball.
Speaker 13: Had to drink. Then we had a second drink, and then someone got in the nervous like, hey, we're gonna get in the pool. I was like, wean, I'll get in. Well, guys are wearing a banana amock ather. Dude is like I'm getting in.
Speaker 9: Guy gets it in his boxer.
Speaker 13: When guy's like, I'll hang my feet over the.
Speaker 9: Edge, that's why you can't do, dude.
Speaker 13: And one guy's like, I'll bring a chair over there and just watch a guy. That's what I'm doing.
Speaker 9: I'll throw my pool in the water.
Speaker 13: And so there was seven of us that got in the pool and three that put their feet over in two just satin chairs. That's life. And I mean, I'm gonna tell you what I get a text from Garrett at least once every couple of weeks. It says, hey, man, you going any guys pools night? Come on? But I will say the awkward part is the guy that hosted that night, that had us over him, had us in his pool. I've never seen him since. He ain't He ain't come around ever. Yeah, I got.
Speaker 19: Usually those gatherings lead to other things awkward when they don't.
Speaker 13: Well, it was just like, all right, man, well I'm gonna go ahead and go you know what I mean, Like, I'm done swimming. Cool, you got a towel I can dry off with. All right, cool, Thanks, here's your towel back.
Speaker 20: Man.
Speaker 13: But he never He hadn't been to another dad's get together in over a year.
Speaker 19: Anytime you want with that towel back, I'll just drop it off on your porch tomorrow, man, like getting the front lawn.
Speaker 13: Man, it's been six months. I just found this in lawndry basket.
Speaker 5: There you go.
Speaker 12: Hey, it's Mike d And this week a movie Mike's Movie Podcast.
Speaker 11: My wife Kelsey and I.
Speaker 12: Gave our movies of the month, the best and worst movies that we saw in July. Letting you know what is worth your money to go see in theaters, where you should wait to stream at home, and what you should avoid altogether. I also gave my spoiler free review of the new m Night Shamalan movie Trap, so be sure to check out this full episode. But right now, here's just a little bit of Movie Mike's movie Podcast.
Speaker 11: What was the best movie you saw in July?
Speaker 4: No question?
Speaker 21: Twisters.
Speaker 11: It's a movie that we went to the theater twice to see.
Speaker 21: We have seen it twice in theaters. Now I would go again.
Speaker 12: I do want to see it in the forty X now because we saw it in Imax, we saw it in Standard and right after Twisters came out, Dead Pulling Wolverine came out and it took all the screenings of forty X out.
Speaker 11: But it's coming back for a week. I just could I.
Speaker 12: Convince you to go see it for a third time. I've never done that, I don't think ever. The only movies I've seen twice recently one with Blue Beetle because we took my mom to go see it.
Speaker 21: Before Black Panther twice once together, once with my family.
Speaker 11: And then before that.
Speaker 12: I think the last movie I saw twice in theaters was probably up, but Twisters.
Speaker 9: Was no question.
Speaker 12: Could we go to the forty X because I looked into it.
Speaker 11: Some of the.
Speaker 12: Forty X have where you wear the three D glasses too, so it's like fully immersive. I don't think I do that. I don't think Twisters is that way. I think it's just all the effects, the rumbling chairs, the wind, the spit in your face.
Speaker 21: I think I would turn the water feature off.
Speaker 11: I think you can. Yeah, you can control some of the levels.
Speaker 21: You could twist my arm.
Speaker 12: I just think if there's any movie that you would go see in forty X, I think it had to be that one.
Speaker 21: I mean, I'm not complaining about saying Twisters for a third time.
Speaker 12: Worst case scenario, we leave if it's two, because I think you can probably turn off the entire seat, right, I mean, you look a little lame with everybody else's having fun and you're just sitting there in a normal chair.
Speaker 21: I've just heard that like some people get motion sick.
Speaker 11: Oh yeah, the motions because you don't like roller coasters.
Speaker 21: I'm so anxious.
Speaker 12: I had to convince you in LA to get on the Simpsons ride, and that's a virtual reality ride, so You're not really going up and down.
Speaker 11: It's just motion.
Speaker 21: But my thing is with glasses. The older I've gotten, the more I get motion sick.
Speaker 19: Like.
Speaker 21: I went on a cruise with my family twice, and the first time I was perfectly fine, and then the last time we went, I was like, oh, I don't feel great. And then you and I went on that sunset cruise and Cobo, oh yeah, and about thirty minutes in I was like, this is a mistake. Like I just felt terrible and fun fact about that, I went downstairs to the bathroom because I thought I was gonna be sick, and I slept and fell and came back almost crying. It wasn't The views were great. Cobo was beautiful, but I just don't do well with boats.
Speaker 12: The picture we took at those famous arches was like, oh, like they had a perfect trip, and then that that was the one fun part of it.
Speaker 21: We do have. We have those pictures framed. They're great pictures. But yeah, real story was I was miserable. It was like unlimited drinks too of our ticket, and I was up there like can I get a spry I was like a seven up something, So yeah, I'm.
Speaker 20: Like that TikTok's out four thirty. If y'all haven't seen that, it's like a senior dog. And then the sound is the person being like when my senior dog thinks it's time for dinner. What time did you say dinner was four?
Speaker 9: Four thirty?
Speaker 14: Four thirty?
Speaker 21: Okay?
Speaker 9: Thanks?
Speaker 6: What time did you say we were eating at four thirty? Four thirty? Oh, four thirty? Okay, thank you.
Speaker 21: But yeah, I feel like the motions. I'd be willing to give it a try, though, if you're willing to leave if I don't feel good, I could be convinced.
Speaker 11: So still a five out of five.
Speaker 12: To watch A ten a second time in theaters, I picked up on more things. I still won't spoil it for anybody. I like going back to watch a movie because I know it's coming and then I can pay attention to those small little details that I didn't, you know, catch the first time, put all the pieces together, and I think after watching it for a second time, I did feel more of that camaraderie that I said it kind of lacked from yeah, from the first one, where I'm like, okay, I think it takes a few times to watch something to really feel that because I didn't really feel it chase it. I didn't get that chemistry the first time. I thought it was more focused on the two leads, but as I rewatched it, I was like, oh, yeah, there is some good camaraderie here. I still don't think it has the memorable quotes like the first one will have.
Speaker 21: There are some parts, but I also don't feel like the first one has much like tension. Yeah, if you catch my draft tension, I would rather just say sexual tension than ever hear you bark on this podcast again. Please stop.
Speaker 12: So for my best I always like to pick a different one than you. But I think if I I've seen the movie, so I think it would be Twisters.
Speaker 21: Wow, we're gonna have no.
Speaker 12: I decided to go with because I think I went into Twisters with really high expectations that were met. But for my best, I'm gonna go with the most unique in theater experience that I had that I think was the most memorable of July, even aside from Twisters. It was Long Legs because I've been looking for a scary movie that I could really immerse myself in, and also in a year where everybody's saying that there's so many remakes and reboots. When it comes to just any movie, especially in the horror genre, we usually get like, you know, Ten Jason's or Halloweens or whatever. So when it came to Long Legs, I was like, this is a great original horror movie. Didn't really reinvent the wheel, but I just loved it from the moment it started to the moment it finished. And I think it is a movie you have to kind of let yourself buy into it, because if you were just to see like a still from it, or if you went into it thinking I'm going to poke fun of this and it's not gonna scare me, then you're gonna be like, ah, this is a scary at all. But I think it goes the Long Legs mainly because I don't want to pick twisters the same.
Speaker 21: As you you could pick twisters.
Speaker 12: Because especially because a third time. But what was the worst for July? Because it wasn't really stag month, as I'll recap it here at the end.
Speaker 21: We saw it was a great month. I'm just gonna go Beverly Hills Cop four. You saw what it was, you turned it on on vacation, and I was like, this is, as my little brother would say, trash.
Speaker 12: I honestly thought it was going to be better. Well, I don't know why I did. I just thought Eddie Murphy coming back, that he would. I really think what it came down to is I was never a fan of that franchise. I think I kind of missed a boat on that, you know, being an eighties franchise.
Speaker 21: Bad Boys was better.
Speaker 11: Yeah, And I feel like.
Speaker 12: Those movies ended up being kind of similar, like old cops come back, try to do young things still, and I just don't really get into kind of the fun nature of the Beverly Hills cop movies. That entire movie was just him finding different vehicles to be chased in or to chase other people in. And I was like him and golf car, him in a helicopter, and that was really the entire movie. And it felt like it was a straight to cable type movie, which I feel that was like the biggest grape I've had with Netflix recently, is it just feels like just putting that really generic stuff.
Speaker 21: It's like a Lifetime movie a little bit. Yeah, But for dudes, listen, I used to love a Lifetime movie. Give me a Sunday afternoon and a Lifetime movie marathon. Slaps Carl. She's a queen and talking, so she's getting really not afraid to faces episode soul.
Speaker 17: Just let it flow.
Speaker 9: No one can do week.
Speaker 11: Carlne his time for Caroler.
Speaker 4: Okay, so I kind of want to hot back though.
Speaker 22: So the FIRSTMAS carriage you felt, oh yeah, so off track.
Speaker 4: It's okay, I love the track. I gotta come back.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the first one I felt so overwhelmed. I was just like letting that part of me that was not a mom, like, was never going to not be a mom again?
Speaker 4: I thought that.
Speaker 22: First one with the first miscarriage too, Actually, I was when I first found out I was pregnant the first time.
Speaker 4: It was not excitement, No, I wasn't ready yet. No, yeah, I just was this scary.
Speaker 22: And the miscarriage was the missage was devastating because then you finally get on board with it.
Speaker 3: It was the morning I felt excited enough to entertain a conversation with Dylan about like, so if we had.
Speaker 4: A boy, would you want to name it like it?
Speaker 3: That was the day I lost the pregnancy, so devastating, and I was shocked at I've said this before. On other I think I did like a podcast about miscarage one timement where I said this, but I was shocked at how devastated I was, for how anxious I was when I found out I was pregnant, and that kind of just made me go, Okay, I wanted to start trying, like you're never gonna be ready, You're just as he's going to be before you just actually do it.
Speaker 4: So I'm there.
Speaker 3: This was really freaking sad. Maybe we're more ready for this than I thought. And you know, I was very comforted. So many people told me, like a lot of women have one and then you know they had then you get pregnant right after, and then you have twins, and so I was like, okay, one is normal, one is super normal. It was a chemical pregnancy too, Like I never even made it to the doctor, so like one chemical pregnant.
Speaker 4: Life for babies was like so normal, normal. Just getting the uterus ready, yes, one.
Speaker 3: Hundred percent, you're really fertile, like a few months after you have one. So I was like, definitely devastated. I took two or three weeks and and God is really nice to me. I've told the story before, but I just feel like you need to say it again this girl. It was Drew Baldrid his wife actually.
Speaker 22: Can Balder's by the way, what about an independent art I know, I'm so excited for him and proud of him.
Speaker 4: I could although he's very big, but yeah, he's a huge man. But I mean I was so stu him. You've written with him a bunch, right, Yeah.
Speaker 3: We were both signed to this music like back in the we kind of signed. Yeah, a publishing company. Amazing, so yeah we were we were publishing a fan for a while. But I'm I'm so stuked for him. But anyway, his wife, I hadn't doctor her in maybe like a year, year and a half, maybe two years, And it was the night after my miscarriage, my first miscarriage, and she texted me, girls, so random, hope you're doing good. But I had the most vivid dream last night that you had a baby. And I was like, well, that's guysy because I lost a baby last night. And she said, this is just this has to be Jesus reassuring you. She said, I saw it so clearly. You and Dylan were in the hospital. You were looking down at a baby, and you looked so in love. She was like, so just take that as a promise that like that's what I saw, and so I thought, wow, God, like thank you for this gift, like this picture that you could give me, Like I know what's going to happen.
Speaker 4: So I feel like once I went through the two.
Speaker 3: Weeks ish of like heavy grief after that first one, I was excited and like hopeful to try again and this time good. So my second one. And also, no one prepares you for, like the grief when you're trying and you take a test and it's negative. That's like the worst, like no one praising you spend your whole especially as a Christian GID, you spend your whole life trying to not get pregnant, and then like you start trying to get pregnant and you're like, wait, what is this mind effery?
Speaker 22: It's just like a whole there's a whole nother one when you get a positive one again though, because you can't fully be happy.
Speaker 4: Yeah it was. I got my second positive and I was like cautiously you're always a cautious excitement.
Speaker 3: Yes, cautiously happy, and that one was kind of wild. I had like a scare. They thought I was having a molar pregnancy, which is basically like you're instead of a baby growing like your years, fills up with the tumors and it's like they birth thrown words like chemotherapy around. It was awful, but it was a false alarm. I was not having more or pregnancy. It was just way earlier than they thought I was. So we ended up I ended up making it to eight weeks with that one. We saw the heart beat, so yeah, that was super, super exciting, and I remember that like all my friends were like, you need to get on progesterone. You need to get on progesterone, which is like obviously the hormone that helps pregnancy stick. And they were like, literally, by doctor put me on progesterone. That's what helped me keep the baby. So everybody kids telling me that. So I asked my doctor at like six weeks. I was like, we saw the heart beat, and I was like, should I get on progesterone just to make sure that you know it helps develop? And he was like, I mean, if you want it, I'll give it to you, but you have a heartbeat without it, so like and I just had this thought where I was like, God, I trust you like you brought me this far WITHO. I no, like, we'll just I won't get on it, like we'll continue. Two weeks later we go back and there's no more heart beat. And then three days after that is when I wrote Champagne and Sushi and that one I felt pissed. I was so mad, like I didn't feel sad, like I was sad, but I was like wildly angry. Who are you mad at God?
Speaker 22: I was just like, you're a dick. I told him, you say that in the song. Yeah, but wait, how do you say that? You say it so well?
Speaker 3: I said, it's the bridge.
Speaker 4: It's so good.
Speaker 3: Go it's oh yeah, it's like comes out of the second chorus. It's like, right now, my only silver lines are Champage and sushi, lighting up a joint, watching a movie, Uh, asking God, what the fuck is he doing causing when I pray, daring him to sue, we're telling him to sue me and hearing him say let it all out, You'll never lose me.
Speaker 22: Oh that's like if that's not like God in the raw form, I'm like, thank you so much for like not acting like we have to be perfect when we're having the worst moment of our life that you can like actually yell at God and tell God, like, what the actual hell, Like, I'm so fucking mad at you right now?
Speaker 4: Why is this happening? Like that's a relationship with God. Yeah, that's a real relationship with God.
Speaker 3: That's what I tell myself when I read fuck You.
Speaker 4: But it's not.
Speaker 22: It's not like it's like you're just it's like a parent when you're so mad at your parent, but like you know, they still love you and they're like looking out for you or whatever. But it's like God, it's like, how can this happen?
Speaker 3: God?
Speaker 4: Like, why am I going through this?
Speaker 1: Thanks for listening to this week's Sunday Sampler. Follow the Nashville Podcast Network on Instagram. You're gonna see highlight clips from all of the podcasts at the Nashville Podcast Network. Have a great Sunday.
Speaker 21: Three f