Speaker 1: Who do you Who?
Speaker 2: And Happy New Year. Today, we are re releasing one of our favorite episodes from this past year with our dear friend Esther Phallic, because it was just named one of the top comedy moments of the year by Vulture in New York Magazine. And to be more specific, it was actually something Esther said on the episode that was named one of the top comedy moments of the year. But of course we are taking credit for it because you know, we're the ones who provided her the platform to say, which is actually more important if you think about it.
Speaker 1: So there you go.
Speaker 2: Thank you json P Frank for including it in the list, Thank you Vulture as always, and enjoy. Go see Estra live in twenty twenty five, go follow her on all platforms. Have at Lovely New Year's Eve, and we will be back with new episodes starting next week. And if you're in San Francisco, don't forget to buy tickets to our first live show of the year on January seventeenth at Cobbs Comedy Club in San Francisco for Sfsketch Fest. It's going to be an incredible show. We can't wait to see you. You can find the ticket link on our Instagram bio or on the Cobbs Comedy Club website, and it's going to be amazing ing see you there happening New Year.
Speaker 1: Okay, podcast starts now. Wow.
Speaker 2: You know, we were just talking about the whole thing of Jeremy Strong at some point in the last two years saying the word dramaturgically and then everyone suddenly being like, the hell is this f sler on about?
Speaker 1: Yeah, they've tore into shreds for something.
Speaker 2: He's an actor. That's like if you went to a business meeting and someone was like, does anyone have the you know, metrics? And you were like, the hell is wrong with you? And then you started chasing him with spears.
Speaker 3: Well, we value anti intellectualism in this country, so in a way that is disgusting.
Speaker 2: It's also like, what what do you think makes him such a good actor. It's the fact that he's insane and went to Julliard.
Speaker 3: Well, people were like, no, oh, he's a good actor because he's on TV.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, you're thinking of Priyanka Chopra.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Not everyone's Pianka Chopra. Do you yes? Do you think acting is an art?
Speaker 3: Go?
Speaker 1: I do? Oh?
Speaker 2: And in fact, the older I get, the more I think maybe it's the only art in a in an over in an overly media saturated environment where everything is mediated and everyone is performing. I am sort of like actors were so ahead of their time by being completely fake and full of shit, because now that is actually the only thing you can do to survive in this economy.
Speaker 3: So you're saying that even when someone is another kind of artist, now they are in a sense an actor performing the role of that art.
Speaker 2: Actors are what Internet users are based on.
Speaker 1: Do you know what I mean. It's like when you're writing an email.
Speaker 2: It's in a long tradition that goes back to you know, the Rosetta Stone, Shakespeare. And yes you're not listen. I'm not saying your email is going to win a Pulitzer. But if it weren't for all of that history, you could not write an email that said can I have this?
Speaker 1: By eod wow?
Speaker 2: And in this similar way acting, you know, the Stella Adler method, Juilliard, Shakespeare, whatever, all of that was needed for people to now be like unboxing my fit fat fun box, because otherwise how would they know.
Speaker 3: No, they wouldn't know how to say that they wouldn't know how to perform tho.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And I think like in each era, almost there's a certain art form that defines that era. I actually, I think almost like post war it was visual art. It was like painting new ways of seeing whatever. I think there have been times in the past where the defining art form is writing, sure, and everyone is rallying around the new hot book. And I think now the defining art form of our era, Unfortunately I'm not saying I agree with it is acting.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: That's tough for me because I don't know if I do value it as an art.
Speaker 1: So here's a question for you. Do you value photography as an art?
Speaker 2: Great, because that's the other one that defines our era, because every when you post a photo of a croissant that is basically based on you know, Nan Golden, right.
Speaker 3: You're in a language, you're having a conversation with the past, present, in the future. Yeah, exactly, I guess. Yeah, I guess I consider photography and art more so.
Speaker 1: More so than acting. Yeah, that's interesting.
Speaker 2: Do you think photography and acting which one is straighter and which one's gayer?
Speaker 3: Acting is gayer, photography is straighter. Maybe that's why I respect it more.
Speaker 2: It's interesting, I think, of course, that's like I get exactly where you're coming from, to sort of push back on it as an intellectual exercise. Of course, photography is so voyeuristic.
Speaker 1: Wow, you know it's sure gay.
Speaker 2: Guy in the corner, yeah, being like they don't know that I read. Yeah, but I'm going to take a photo of this party and it's gonna have an air of mel I'm invisible and ye, and yet I am the eye. And then acting is so action based that it's sort of like a guy swinging his stick around.
Speaker 1: But I feel like that's exactly why it's gay, because it's a gay guy swing. That's interesting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I feel like the photographer is such a straight like that.
Speaker 1: Moody straight American beauty.
Speaker 3: Yeah, don't look at me, don't look at me, but I need you all to I still need to have the highest in status here.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Photographers are in cells and they think they are seeing the world like correctly.
Speaker 2: Right, whereas actors have no subjectivity and need lines in order to even know what to say and to be worshiped in a door, worshiped on the door, Polly bisexual of course, all right, I think I'm I think you're winning me over.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's nice.
Speaker 2: Should we bring in our guest trained actress and photographer?
Speaker 1: I think that could be an amazing idea. Am I am I rushing?
Speaker 3: No, No, I'm trying to think if there's anything else. I mean, that's a shorter intro than.
Speaker 1: Oh, then we but we can keep going.
Speaker 3: But I actually think to not bring her in now, Yeah, that would be pretty toxic. Okay, can you imagine?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Well, I just feel like, you know, there are other intros where we spend fifteen minutes trying to get to a point where we're debating whether acting or photography is gay straight. And the fact that we got there so fast, I'm like, let's celebrate by basically paring a party in the form of inviting one more person to our conversation.
Speaker 3: I think that's such a beautiful idea.
Speaker 2: Thank you, please welcome our friend Estra Phallic.
Speaker 1: Hello. So right off the bat, Esther, what is your take on everything that has been said so far? So glad you asked, because it's been really hard for me. And then I could sense that I could sense that, Yeah, we're sort of bating you. I'm thinking about words that have been in my mind recently. Object and subject.
Speaker 2: The way those two words are on my mind twenty four steps.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying because I think what we're saying here is is that I think in acting, you're insistent upon, you're turning yourself into the object. Yes, correct. In photography, no wait, sorry you're sorry, you're the subject, you're the subject, no way, No. In photograph photography you're looking for a subject. You're no, no, aren't no. In acting you're the object. Way, but you're the subject in photography because it's like, but the.
Speaker 2: Photographer is not the subject, his subject is the subject or sorry, okay.
Speaker 1: The photographer is like like, oh shit, I guess I don't know what.
Speaker 2: No, but but you've opened a door.
Speaker 1: But I've opened a door. I guess I do know. Subject an object and object? Okay, so they're not let's mutually exclusive. Let's go back to basics. Subject and object. Which one to you is straighter and which one is gayer? I mean object is gayer? Ye? Right? Because it like the way is an object, Like you're like the forum being like acted upon. Absolutely, And so that's why phtographer, I feel like it's a subject. They're the subject because they're like, they're like capturing the object.
Speaker 2: So it's a misnomer to call the subject of the photograph the subject of the phograph.
Speaker 1: I mean, they're the object.
Speaker 2: Without the photographer, they would just be like a literal random person sitting on a stool.
Speaker 1: Right in the middle of a room. Which is why it's correct, frankly that we were saying he for a photographer.
Speaker 2: Yes, exactly, because then we were saying she for actor, right, because to have agency that's sort of masculine.
Speaker 1: Of course, this culture, in this culture, why didn't build this world? No, have agency? Have not seen one succeed yet? And then an.
Speaker 2: Actress, yes, yes, I actually think you know how sometimes a serious women actor will say actor, like as you know, charlie'ster as an actor. I actually think women should say actress and men should also say actress. I want to see Robert de Niro say, you know, as a young actress, I really felt like I already understood what I was trying to say.
Speaker 1: Yes, that would be so amazing. And then we could have five It could be like best exactly best butch best yeah, best mask. We're gonna have like best high fem performance of the.
Speaker 2: I would love that actually to not not necessarily get rid of gender categories, but interpret gender and through a more queer lens exactly.
Speaker 1: Genitals, get him out.
Speaker 2: Of the genitals, get him out of there. And it's just like, are you butch? Are you fem im soft butch?
Speaker 1: Yes? Yes, best supporting bottom. I was going to say, twink, bear, bear, and bear is like we're not talking and when you say bar, it's not like.
Speaker 2: We're talking about like a hairy man. Like Judy Dench can give a bear performance. She's a good actress, you know. I think Judy Dench could give a bear performance. I think I think Charlee's could give a bear performance. I don't think Hathaway.
Speaker 1: You think Kate Blanchett, she like giving I would performance.
Speaker 2: Whereas I think, here's what I'll say, the whale twink performance, Oh my god, tearing up right now, that's so like what's on the scale. That's not what it's about the performance performances, And that's the thing.
Speaker 1: It's like, I think Darren Aronofsky frankly was filming it like a bar performance, and that is why he that is his flaw as a director. In that same moment, exactly but but Brendan Fraser, I mean he understood the twink. He understood that he brought the twink. Yeah, whoa, that's kind of crazy. Yeah, it's why there's like something salvageable about that movie. The first five minutes made me want to throw up out of like disgust for how abhorrent it was. No, it is.
Speaker 2: It is actually a completely important movie. And yet I am on record of saying I was on a plane I watched and I cried.
Speaker 1: I cried. Ya, Wow, I haven't seen the movie yet.
Speaker 2: You know something actually like don't walk. It's very twink for something to be abhorrent and yet make you cry. Yeah, I do not to really dig so deep.
Speaker 1: Been to this bit that we.
Speaker 2: Run well well, first of all obviously Madam Web, but also I was thinking, is you know this episode will probably come out around the Oscars? And I was thinking, is there a way to sort of use this new vocabulary we have created to think about the best.
Speaker 1: Performance of the year?
Speaker 2: Wow? Wow, like is Killian Murphy's Oppenheimer performance?
Speaker 1: I would say soft, butch I was gonna say lesbian first? Lesbian? Yeah, yeah, you weren't even asking No, Yeah, that's.
Speaker 2: Not if you think he is doing gay guy performance, you literally need to go back to the American Film Academy.
Speaker 1: But it's not straight guy either. I think this is really I mean, I think.
Speaker 2: The question is, is is it? I would say it's more soft butch than like IM to me, I.
Speaker 1: Think you're well, I think you're right. I actually think you nailed it. I don't think I have much more to say, Like in a soft butch, it's like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's maybe not it doesn't make good podcast materials. Just fully agree with you, but yeah I.
Speaker 1: Agree, or honestly, it's it's even giving a little like it's frankly giving a little a fab non binary, like the poetry.
Speaker 2: Reading one hundred person, you know what I mean, yeah, the little hat, the little hat, yeah, little hat.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah. So you know that that's certainly something for your listeners to explore for their as they take this episode.
Speaker 2: That could be a really huge win for representation if an a fab non binary performance wins Best Actor.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, I mean that would be so groundbreaking, which is also probably why we loved.
Speaker 2: We loved Appenheimer. Yeah, we really loved Uppenheimer.
Speaker 1: We do we stay on up. Okay, So I loved the first hour because that's all I saw, because I saw it because no one knows how to project film anymore. And it was when I saw it, it was like it was like moving around, like moving around. Oh wow, so I like got my money back and then I just like never found another time. Was it in New York City? Yeah? Yeah, well spoiler in Square South.
Speaker 2: Just in terms of as a film, I think it well.
Speaker 1: But he does create a bomb.
Speaker 3: That's complicated because he's he succeeds, but at what cost?
Speaker 1: At what costs? So that's where it's kind of messy as a narrative, and that's where we got back into soft butch territory.
Speaker 2: Well, I know, is it problematic to say that, like that performance is soft butch a fab non binary when in facted to someone who.
Speaker 1: Has created so much destruction.
Speaker 2: In the world, Like, are we being are we being almost like conservative by being like, oh yeah, Oppenheimer, known.
Speaker 1: For murdering so many people through.
Speaker 2: His inventions, sort of is a transnary.
Speaker 3: You know, I think we should have a world where a non binary can be.
Speaker 1: Back exactly if we can't put them on a pedestal like fab non binary people will never cause world.
Speaker 2: Bomb better than mess yes, yeah, yeah, yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: Period. Wow.
Speaker 3: Oh wait I have something. Okay, first two things, Okay, what do we want to say? What Dakota Johnson's performance.
Speaker 1: Was Madam Web?
Speaker 2: Yeah, well okay, so Estra has not seen Madam Webb yet, Yeah, but wants to. So we're not going to be We're not mad at her, we're not having seen it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I see it. I haven't seen the Whale, but that doesn't mean I can't comment exactly.
Speaker 2: Well, of course, yeah, but unlike the Whale, you know, Madam Web is a nuanced portrayal of a woman that is discovering her powers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it's really amazing Adam.
Speaker 2: Webb, I certainly think, and I will try not to spoil anything when she becomes Madam Webb with the glasses that is high fem.
Speaker 3: I think it is a it's specifically thirty something gay guy performance.
Speaker 1: Oh interesting.
Speaker 3: I think it's so like, I don't know, like, it's so like bored.
Speaker 2: It's the drag race contestant that thinks they're above it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, you know what about this? Is it bisex a woman? Well so that was actually my first thing. Actually, here's my person yeah, by sexual assists woman. Ye yeah, obviously, web if you were to come here I try to.
Speaker 2: Friend, I would actually make me lave in the studio. There has never been a more cis woman. Yes, yeah, so I think my instinct was to be like, before she discovers her powers, it's bisexual cis woman who's in denial better sexuality. And then she has her powers and that means she's bisexual but still married to a man.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well that was of her whole deal. That that's a character where it was like I have powers sort of yeah, like she never really had powers.
Speaker 1: So what I understand about like her powers is that she can see sort of in the future kind of and is the sort of tea okay, okay, okay, Well, so isn't that a queer narrative, Like when you begin to understand your queerness, like suddenly you're like, oh, I can envision a future for myself. Wow, So it's a coming out narrative. Yeah, Wow, she couldn't.
Speaker 2: She was like she was like her like, yeah, she's okay, but mother can also be I mean a lot of things and a lot of things. I mean, she could be just like an older lesbian that has a younger you know.
Speaker 1: Daughter daughter.
Speaker 3: I mean the character was kind of giving ace in a big way.
Speaker 2: Oh that's interesting. Well, she doesn't have a love interest, which is key, and she actually has a male best friend that is in no way sexual and it's Adam Scott.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna cry. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Wow, I think girl being best friends with Adam Scott is a little ace.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think so little, isn't it. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I actually think Adam Scott, who I am on record, is finding hot. And I don't think he himself is ace as a person, but I think his energy is ace. There's something like safe. Oh the media treats him a yes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know.
Speaker 2: Even when I said I found him hot, everyone we were with was like almost like to punch me in the face.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, they started they started reving. I was scared. Yeah. Wow, wow, this has been I've learned so much.
Speaker 3: Okay, the other thing I wanted to talk about, which we is maybe boring potentially. I think in the same way that Sleigh had its moment of like post post irony whatever, I think period is in that now.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Wow. Interesting.
Speaker 3: I actually used to be like, you know, period is like like I was almost like I don't say it like that's too and now I'm like, there's distance from it where it to me is such a funny punctuation.
Speaker 1: Now yeah, and I'm kind of addicted to it, I know. And I actually feel like like Sleigh and Period were kind of some of the first ones that I feel like I understood really how to say, like you know what I mean and the fact I'm like grieving that, yeah, that was that was my madim Web moment, you know, And that's a future where you could say Sleigh, yes, yes, amazing, Like you know, I went to musical theater school and not to open a can of worms. I went to musical theater school and people were saying, like, Gorge at that time, that's tough, and I didn't. It was like code to me, Like it was so baffling. I was like, Gorge, like how do you say what I mean? But like slam Period, I was like, yeah, like that in my body, I understand that, yeah, and now it's gone, Like how do y'all deal with that?
Speaker 2: I mean, there are certain words I feel actually this way about Darling where I keep so many years into my life as an out and proud gay man.
Speaker 1: Period, I.
Speaker 2: Keep being like, maybe this is the time darling will stick for me. Like I'll say hello to someone and be like, hi, darling, and it never sounds correct.
Speaker 1: Never darling. No, I can't say darling.
Speaker 3: That's a different style and lingo. It's like I can't do that. You want to be an old gay guy?
Speaker 1: Yeah, when you get a little gray. When I go darling, it takes time to turn ripes. Yeah, yeah, I do see it for you, absolutely. Yeah. I think if the impulse is there, it's because it's there, you know. But I haven't had my Madam web moment of like seeing a future in which Darling is your gorge, where you're like, I see it, I hear it, but it's not for me. Yeah. Do you feel like now you can say gorge? No? No, So I'm feeling actually very like, what's the opposite of scene right? Invisible and invisible? Right now? Yeah, it's tough, that's amazing, ding.
Speaker 2: This is your invisible girl moment rather than is that the one from The Incredibles and Visigirl and visis yeah, yeah, Well it's a sort of spectrum between Madam Webbin and Visy Girl. Madam web not only are you seen and being being seen and seeing, but you can see different time periods, different futures, different Oh my.
Speaker 1: God, girls, all sort of connects, all connects, we all of us. What are some words that you say? What are some words that I say?
Speaker 3: Well, I have like a period I have been able to say recently because I feel there's enough distance from actually saying.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeahtrict and irony.
Speaker 2: I do think Queen is just grandfather, and we say Queen do every time we start a text conversation, it's hey Queen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a classic. I think Queen will never die. I long live long. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I actually had a moment some words I say, So, that's such a great question someone we know. I believe it might have been just Tom posted that he doesn't like when sis people say king to him, and I was actually thinking about it, and I was like, I wonder if here's what's going on in my head. Let's say I'm talking to someone, maybe a trans mask person. My instinct is, as with every I call everyone queen, So my instinct is to be like, hey Queen. Then I will in that microom and catch myself and be like, well, they probably don't want to be referred to as queen and so then I will switch it fast to king. But then that actually is worse because it sounds condescending and it's you being like, yeah, I'm affirming you, I'm affirm in you.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Wow, And I really I had to sit with that.
Speaker 2: I almost text suggests but that I was like, that's not gonna. I was like, I was like, wait, I have to start this conversation. I was being very like straight woman who learns about issues.
Speaker 1: For the first time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I was like, wow, you really never stopped learning.
Speaker 1: You never stopped learning. I can actually speak to this please. I had a good friend of mine who she's a sis woman and I'm not going to say who she is, but she's been on Broadway. Yeah, it's past. Yeah, it's who's what's her? Oh my god?
Speaker 2: Why am I blinking? Who's now in Sweeney, Sutton and Foster. It's Sutton Foster. I would love it if I came out that Sutton Foster was a huge term.
Speaker 1: Oh honestly, I wouldn't. Okay, I want, I want, but I'm just like I know it. So you know a Broadway actress, So I know a Broadway actressy, congrats and Okay, so I have this she she at one point, like early issue in my transition, maybe like six months, she was someone who was always like very supportive and you know like actually not like people who were like you know there on the day I came out and being like so proud of my friend years yeah right, yeah, yeah yeah. But at one point on the phone, she like called me dude, and she was like, oh shit, I'm so sorry. But I didn't feel it. I didn't take it as a microaggression or anything like that because like I had been friends with her long enough, I had seen that she doesn't she had never called me dude until I came out as a woman. Wow, she calls all of her friends dude. She doesn't call men dude. No, this is yeah, So like I and I there is a bit of a to bring it back to Spider Man like six sense, like a Spidey sense, like you know, I can't speak for everyone. I know when the word dude is yeah yeah, my god, Like I mean I can I know when someone genering me correctly is like aggressive is doing it yeah yeah, just like I mean sometimes like my pronouns are she her and I do know, like like there's like some days that feel aggressive, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: I mean, so probably your queen not to I should hope. So I think probably will not read his offense.
Speaker 1: No, what, yes, I don't.
Speaker 2: Well that's the thing, of course, is like, no one is going to be like, wait, queen, so you think I'm a woman? Right, No one is gonna say that.
Speaker 1: But but you know sometimes someone might. Someone might. That's true, someone might. Yeah, it's a good point. You never know that, honey, I'll go to a college campus. Can't say, oh my god, so a sense of.
Speaker 2: That part that we have been really well, that part I can't pull up.
Speaker 1: I can't but say that, No, boots, boots is complicated. Boots is complicated. Boots are complicated. Boots are complicated.
Speaker 3: I was, I'm feeling so insane suddenly whenever, Oh my god, I'm like, there hasn't been a good song about boots in a while.
Speaker 1: That's actually, this is something I've been feeling in my heart. That's not insane. Okay, these bats are made for and remember you two put on your boot, on your sexy boots. I mean this is a bad one, but I mean rest in this. Maybe will put a boot in your askets.
Speaker 2: So boots have become conservative, Well, I guess we need a boots song.
Speaker 1: We need feminist, feminist boots song.
Speaker 3: You know, Chapelone should do it. When she does a boots song, it'll be great.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think that's really insightful. Yeah, I think that's really insight I could even see an fylkne So I'm actually a little scared that, Like, well, I think we might be past the point of Boots song because like it reads a little consumerist. Frankly, it's like, why are we going to be empowered by this by footwear? Right? Yeah? Empowered by footwear in this economy? I don't think so unless it's like, you know, the boots are a symbol, the boots are a symbol your armor?
Speaker 2: Or what if it's post ironic and the album is literally called Empowered by Footwear and it's about how we can never be fulfilled.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh wow, it's a commentary that.
Speaker 2: Actually, Okay, who would release Empowered by Footwear? Because actually, don't think that's chaperone anymore.
Speaker 1: That's where I mean. I can imagine like Katy Perry trying it's like girl, yeah, come on, that's very change the rhythm.
Speaker 2: It's very change to the rhythm. Yeah, okay, it's Katy Perry. Well she needs she's we've been you know, I mean a comeback.
Speaker 3: She could do that or a normal Boot song, or she could have a Boot song and it would be fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a Boots concept album where each song is a different take on Boots.
Speaker 1: And what they are saying could be bad. Kind of like those old those those Christmas albums with the Keith Haring. Yeah yeah, yeah like that. Wow. Yeah, there's literally no good art anymore. Superiod that part.
Speaker 2: Actually, it's actually crazy, it's really crazy. Wait, we need to do it first singing because I'm actually so eager to.
Speaker 3: It's okay, But I also have one more thing to answer your question of what am I saying now?
Speaker 1: Okay, I have one.
Speaker 3: I'm an answer also going hog. I've combined going hog wild and going ham into just saying going hog and I actually love it.
Speaker 1: You dropped my jaw with that one. Damn. Wow, that's really cool. You always have to be inventing. I do have one more and okay, I'm trying to use well yes, oh yeah, George, You're really good at it. Thank you. Yeah, you do it. Subtly it tastefully. I actually do feel like if I haven't vocally warmed up, it might not because you kind of got a flip a little bit. The music that was actually a really good one.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's kind of scary.
Speaker 3: Do you ever see someone with training and you're like, oh, I shouldn't try.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's let's do a first segment.
Speaker 2: Our first segment Esther is called straight Shooters, and in this segment, we gauge your familiarity with in complicity and straight culture by asking you a series of rapid fire questions where you have to choose one thing or another thing. And the one rule is you can't ask any follow up questions about how the game works, and if you do, we will get violent.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, yeah, a lot of threats today. Yeah yeah, well.
Speaker 3: Okay, miss congeniality or miss kirstially Miss Kirstiale.
Speaker 2: Bringing a gun to a knife fight or having some fun with the wife tonight.
Speaker 1: Bringing a gun to a knife fight? Wow, Okay.
Speaker 3: Following up circling back or looping you in.
Speaker 1: Holding up, circling back or looping you in circling.
Speaker 2: Back, walk the line by Johnny Cash or you look fine except for that rash.
Speaker 1: You look fine, except for that rash.
Speaker 3: Moisturizer or womanizer, womanizer, womanizer, womanizer.
Speaker 1: Womanizer, womanizer, womanizer, womanizer.
Speaker 2: Beyonce going country, or my fiancee is being cunty. My fiance is being cunty.
Speaker 3: Okay, being deflowered or being empowered, And yeah, they're different.
Speaker 1: He's arguing that they're the same. I am not.
Speaker 2: Being deflower our father, who aren't in heaven. Or my mother is fifty seven. My mother is fifty seven. Wow, that was a performance. I thought that was a really good performance. I'm trying to think. So we rank our guests from zero to one thousand doves?
Speaker 1: Okay, you know what I'm But here's what I'm dealing with. What is it? You know?
Speaker 3: I thought that was an incredib performance. I want to say one thousand doves. Yeah, but I feel like we've been so easy on our guests recently.
Speaker 2: I know I've been thinking that too, Like it really is. You know, there's an article today about Michiko ko Kotani, the New York Times book critic, who used to.
Speaker 1: Do this or come up now.
Speaker 2: To be clear, I have not read this article, but I did see the headline and the subs. I believe that the argument is sort of like she used to be such a harsh critic and now she's gone soft. And I'm like, are we kakutaniing?
Speaker 1: We're kakutaniing.
Speaker 3: I mean we're we used to be Pitchfork in two thousand and seven and hour Pitchfork in twenty twenty four.
Speaker 2: We're literally Pitchfork in twenty twenty four giving Taylor Swift's.
Speaker 1: Eight eight point two. Yeah yeah, I mean a thousand doves, one thousand doves. Okay, thank you so much.
Speaker 2: Caught us in our kokutani present day in Michico ko kotani Yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, wow, because we've been cruel in the past. The past. We gave Chris Murphy like a three hundred. Well he needed to do, he needed to do that.
Speaker 3: Look, people think, oh, you know, we're friendly, we see each other. Oh oh, they won't give us a tough score.
Speaker 1: Yeah we will. And I honestly I was ready for whatever you brought. I was ready for whatever came. I was like, you know what it's it's I'm gonna survive.
Speaker 2: If there's one thing, if there's a negative thing I could point out in your performance.
Speaker 1: It's actually the.
Speaker 2: Lack of You were so ready and so prepared that it almost felt like there was a lack of stakes because I was like, nothing I will say will make you confused or make you sort of like, you know, like flounder.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Wow, so you're saying there was no danger.
Speaker 2: It was a little bit like, you know, this is sort of how I f helt about the movie Past Lives. I felt like, yes, I understood what it was trying to do, and I thought it was great, and I thought Grittily was great, but it had a bit too tidy of a bow on it where I was like, I know exactly what it's doing and where it's going. And I think potentially you gave a Past Lives performance.
Speaker 1: How does that make you feel? That makes me feel I have something to work on. I have somebody to work on, and I think that that's really cool. Yeah, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: And I think it is is, you know, Gretely again, someone I love, and someone who's performance I loved didn't ultimately get nominated for the Oscar. So I think what you're dealing with is a performance that is critically acclaim that everyone loved, but that didn't make the.
Speaker 1: Cut, and everyone's saying, like, what's her next out? Exactly, what's her next outing? Yeah, and they're looking back and they're like, wait, Gretelee was in that, but this wasn't the one.
Speaker 2: It was sort of like Amy Adams and Junebug, like that was her first big performance.
Speaker 1: Yeah, although she sure Wait past lives, now, that's straight culture. I have to I have to agree.
Speaker 2: And again I'm saying, okay, okay, no, I think it is straight culture, not in a derogatory way, just sort of like it really is a quintessentially straight love story in a big I So I saw that.
Speaker 1: It was one of my first dates with a with a previous partner of mine, who of course is non binary, and we were no monogamous. Wow, congratulations, thank you so much. So we were watching it just being like, why don't they just right just do that?
Speaker 2: No, it's like what but I almost appreciate, like there's something about the clear cut steaks and limitations of a straight love story that is what makes you know, ancient Greek tragedy in Shakespeare so compelling. Yeah, and everyone was just Polly in Romeo and Julia, like, what's the point it's like cell phones.
Speaker 1: I was just about to say, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah yeah almost it's like too many movies would be ruined with Paul yea, yeah, we can't. That is true.
Speaker 3: They're gonna start having to do everything superiod piece in tw thousand and three before you know. Okay, no polyamory, no cell phones. That way the movie can have some steaks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay.
Speaker 2: So I'm reading I'm reading a book and this is actually a sort of related to this. I'm reading a book. I won't say who it's by, but it's no, no.
Speaker 1: You would know. You wouldn't know, you would know her. Jk Rowling.
Speaker 2: No, no closer to Salaryony than Jake. But honestly, I would say, were right down the middle. We can, we can, We'll bleep it. Why why do you want to keep her private?
Speaker 1: She's a public because I am about to criticize way and we all saw the Tina fay Klip got it exactly basically.
Speaker 2: In this book, the main character is a mother and she has a I believe six year old child, and she refers to the child with them pronouns, not because the child has like come out as a non binary, just because this is a progressive mom who wants.
Speaker 1: To refer to her child in that way the child, which is something that I quite.
Speaker 2: Literally agree with politically, I am on board. And yet I'm reading this book and it I'm so aware of it that I'm like suddenly thinking too much about this mom character. I'm like, oh, classicland mom, classic, Like I'm unable to see like other elements of her because that is so jarring. And I think that is what the polyamory thing and the cell phone thing does to movies.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean? Wait, wait when you see what what do you mean? Exactly?
Speaker 2: Like like when it's it distracts me when it's the like when she's saying like I changed their diaper, it takes me a second to be.
Speaker 1: Like oh what, oh right, Oh that's what your right, right. And polyamory in a film will take you out. Yeah if it were, Yeah, if it were, you'd be like, okay, like we got it on the pulse.
Speaker 3: It would be about like polyamorous race car driver exactly like you'd only be able to focus on the poly The fact that.
Speaker 2: I think this is what I'm talking like, this one is doing all this other stuff that is the actual plot of the book, and I keep like, for one second too long thinking about the which is interesting. Which then I'm like, all right, so I'm conservative little yeah, or about to be. We're about to be, We're about to Maybe I'm having I'm Adam Web moment where I'm like, I'm voting for Santa.
Speaker 1: Anyway, maybe we'll take that out.
Speaker 3: Well, it's too bad, because I want to do a I want to discuss the film about the polyamorous racecar drivers.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I just think you know, the race car driver and the pit crew is all I think they would. Well, it's either like they would win for every time because their love is so strong, so powerful, or they would always lose because they're always making out the race stop kissing. There is such a thing as too much love. Love is love except for a race car. That's the tagline.
Speaker 2: That's that's there her web next, love is except a race got race car driving?
Speaker 1: Really?
Speaker 2: You know how some things just are like almost too obvious of a commentary, like for everyone to just be like eating hot dogs while watching fossil fuels being burned and then the cars have like advertisements on them.
Speaker 1: Okay not but you still like Portland mom, right, now yeah, what also are you do you start turning red with someone? I guess what. My child Celiac is having a great time. Should we get into the topic. Yes, okay, esther, Yes, what is your topic? And what do you think is straight about it? Okay, I'm so excited to be uh talking about this today. I'll tell you what just really quickly one of my rejected topics because I did a heavy vetting process before I arrive here today. Who did you vet with yourself? Yeah? I mean just me? Oh yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: Now that's Madam Webb to be like having a conversation with another version.
Speaker 1: You're literally a projecting yes, yes, okay, and now I've that to look forward to. I didn't know that was an element. She can split.
Speaker 2: She does it once, she does it once, and honestly like not well for now.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, oh my god. Adam Sandler is certainly like one, you know what I mean. But but that's there's what is there to say that hasn't been said? But well a lot actually, and and you know, I'll just leave you all with that tease and you know the people. But what I wanted to talk about was museums with slides in them. Right, And so that's how I'm referring to this, this sort of catch all phenomenon of museums that you know, the first level is these instagram museums. Museum of ice Cream. Now, there's the Museum of Broadway. There's there's like a Blue Museum, Museum of Sex, Museum of Sex, right or not you mentioned before. Yeah, So then you start getting into like some of the like nineties like Experience Economy, Ripley's Believe It or Not, the Madame Tussau's, all of these like you know, forty second Street sort of things that you know, we saw them as ghosh then, but now they've been sort of classed up in this way for this certain like millennial uh you know email job, yeah, consumer ybsolute, And I'm just like, are you what's so these are your museums. You're afraid of culture? Well, you're afraid of history.
Speaker 2: To be living in New York City and even contemplate going to the Museum of ice Cream. Literally get on the train and go to any museum.
Speaker 1: It's so hard because to me, I they seem fun. No no, no, no, don't put me.
Speaker 3: I just can see how someone feels so lost and lonely, that they would find themselves seeking out that culture where they would be like, I don't know who or what I am and so, and instead of sitting with that and trying to look inward, they're like, so, I guess I'm going to go to the using of ice cream, and well.
Speaker 1: You have a really big heart, you can see it that way. Yeah, and I yeah, but what you're giving us, I mean, is what you're giving us. Don't yuck there? Yum, No, I would. I would never ever do that in my life.
Speaker 3: I'm just saying there's something to me. There's like a sadness there, which, sure I don't always feel like pathetic. I pick and choose.
Speaker 1: I actually think that there's something there because I think about, like, you know, before I was a woman, I was a Disney adult. Oh was that much?
Speaker 2: So your transition also included letting go of your Disney adult past?
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, I mean not that I like, you know, I mean, I still like kind of I'm a musical theater person. It's like, you know, I still sort of love What can I say? I love magic? Okay, guilty? What is your relationship with Disney? Now? I have to know, I mean my relationship with Disney now is I love musical theater basically, and you know I love the Muppets. You love doing a whole New World at karaoke. Yeah, yeah, yeah. But I remember like one time, one time I in college, I was I was in a class my senior year called Disney's Lands. I had to write an essay to get in. There were there were like twenty people from the school. It was at University of Michigan, and like they wanted one from like all these different majors, all these different.
Speaker 2: Whoa, they got together like an infinity war cast literal order to have different perspectives on Disney.
Speaker 1: Yeah, on specifically the parks. Oh my god. Like there's like, you know people that are like business majors, architecture, art history, like musical theater.
Speaker 2: You know, Like I knew someone who was a religious studies major whose thesis was on Disneyland as a religious space.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, there's a mecca and you walk around. I mean it's sort of like, well that's one page. That's a really good point and it's a god yeah, Donald is Joe. But yeah, yeah, but like we I mean, as like the culmination of the of the class, we went to Disney World and we like study, we like talked about it and stuff, and I stayed one extra day and I thought it would be kind of cool to be in the parks alone. But it was actually the loneliest night of my life.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna tell you something not shocking to me. I know that being in Disney World alone, what was your fantasy? You're like, they're going to tap me to be the new Cinderella.
Speaker 1: No, literally, I was like, I was like, they're gonna say, hey, you with the stars in your eyes, like you know, there's something magical about here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're like you can't sing, can you? And then you're like' like funny you.
Speaker 1: But so all this to say, yeah, there is like the person who would think that like a museum of ice cream would be like an enriching experience. They're a lonely person who doesn't know themselves yet.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well I was able to I think you're also being Optimistice And guess what you're saying it's loneliness. You're saying they don't know themselves yet. What if that's just their personality and it's for good and there's no and that just unfortunately there's a certain certain segment of the population that is museum of ice cream.
Speaker 3: I don't know why I'm being so empathetic to this type of person.
Speaker 2: Well, no, I think i'm and I'm not even I'm not even like saying I believe this, but I do think that is a perspective we're asking. And I also think all of this, the conversation we're having now is essentially the conversation that was happening about Trump voters after the twenty year.
Speaker 3: To me, it's so To me, it's both. Honestly, it's like you're afraid. You're afraid of something. You're afraid of looking out of your element. You're afraid of like like art museums, but I never taught that in school, Like I'll look so stupid there.
Speaker 1: But you're also the museums like you're I mean, it's basically like you're going to like look at these mirrors. Yes, they show you yourself, well if you can handle it, And that's exactly it. And that's exactly it, or is it even the opposite?
Speaker 2: Is it like the people that think they're so sophisticated because they're going to the you know, Art of the America's exhibit. Are they even more looking into a mirror because they're so like obsessed with being sophisticated that anything they see will just reflect back to them.
Speaker 1: I am smart. It's like either it's like are they are they wise mad men? Or are they mad wise? Yeah? Yeah, wow, okay, Wow, I'm trying to turn it.
Speaker 3: I'm trying to Okay, I'm trying to turn my perspective to be hateful towards these people.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think.
Speaker 2: I think your angle on it is something I hadn't considered before, which is we had these nineties early adds versions of this right right, please believe it or not, Madame Justsseau's those are very self evidently lame now, and this is updating that for the Instagram generation, right.
Speaker 3: Well, those also specifically were like for families in theory, it was like, my family's visiting this weird city, and so what are we going to do?
Speaker 1: Maybe it speaks to a sort of arrested development of a certain like, you know, we we don't have houses, right like millennials, like the first generation, you know, all the like. So someone like let's you know, a Marnie, right, like she's just a perfect I mean truly a perfect character. A Marnie who who never really had to look at inward, might still enjoy the things from her youth, having not really grown up, but feel shame about that fact, and so look for something that sort of also flatters her aesthetically. Yeah interesting. So so yeah, own homes we would not have if they.
Speaker 2: Turned the Museum of Ice Cream into affordable housing. Yes, then everyone will be flocking to the Whitney Biennial. That's exactly what I'm saying. That actually does make me have thriving culture again. There's something about like it's all about rent.
Speaker 1: It's all about rent.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, it's also how it's about what you expect out of escapism, because it's like, if you're so miserable in your day to day life, you want Escapism to literally.
Speaker 1: Be like a four D X three D movie that makes you, that beats you into.
Speaker 3: Forgetting George bought us four D X tickets when I saw Madam Web it was actually a nightmare.
Speaker 1: Actually that wasn't moving, and I am it's not my fault.
Speaker 3: We're about to have a heart attack because we were in a forty X theater getting sprayed with water and wind and being rocked up.
Speaker 1: Webs connecting us. Yeah, talk about the weapon connext to them all. Wait, this is when I just are you gonna hold your thought? Wait? Let me remember it? Yes, go ahead, okay, okay. I saw Avatar The Way of Water in screen X, which is the format. There were like fifteen formats to see Avatar, and this was the one where the like they have like extra screen on the sides, so there's screen on three sides of you. But the screen on the sides was like rendered soap poorly. You looked like a PS two cut scene. Oh no, it looked like a Windows screen saver. And so every time that it like I couldn't take the movie seriously. Every time that that happened, Yeah, it is the only time. Surely.
Speaker 2: One of my pet peeves is like leave the film going experience alone one hundred, Like it makes me so upset.
Speaker 1: Actually, this is connected to what we're saying. Yes, well, her web connects them all. Well, her web connects them all.
Speaker 2: Yeah. But so my original point was like, if you hate your life, there's no social safety net donald Trump is president or honestly, then you are looking you are looking for like extreme forms of escapism. Whereas if you have everything you need, you're living in Denmark, then you actually have the space to interpret a painting because you have the peace of mind where you don't need to actually be like pulverized into submission in order to enjoy a movie.
Speaker 1: You know, not that there's not value in being pulverized. Yes, well, of course, yes, so I actually have Yes, I think that's but I also think that there's like there's even when things are going like well, quote unquote, I think we've we've in America, we've like maybe since the eighties, right, it all goes back to Reagan's web connects assault this. Yeah, what like in the nineties, there was like a sense of there was there was this like growing wealth, right, you know, like that that Hunter S. Thompson article about like what like after nine to eleven. You know, like we're gonna look at the nineties as this big party, but there was this like decay beginning, and we had like a sense of that. So we would say around the Lewinsky scandal. Yes, and it makes me think of have you all seen snow Pier, sir, Yes, I've seen it. Finally a movie that I've seen. I just keep thinking about like the the like the like decadence of like the second train, right, it's a little bit of that. It's like there's like this party going on wanting to ignore. Oh, I see what you're saying. You like the decay happening?
Speaker 2: Yeah, as the So the Museum of ice Cream is that party in this it's the party. It's people with the email job, it's people with the email oh got it themselves?
Speaker 1: Yeah? By being in a ballpit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I can't see the wrong hole? Yeah happening all yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Which is so interesting because my instinct is that not to say the obvious that is the rot. Like when you're looking at this dirty, disgusting ballpit and there are people that are fully twenty nine years old that are like almost drowning because they want photos of themselves with oversized sprinkles, You're like, well, if.
Speaker 1: That is not the rock, then what is?
Speaker 3: And that went back to the object in subjects right, Yeah, yeah, if that is not the rock, then what is?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like, is the rot like the object? Or like to signify it? Yes, you know, no, no, I think like does that signal the rot? Or is it the rot? Right? Yes? Is it?
Speaker 3: Or?
Speaker 1: Also like is it a symptom of the or is it the rot itself? Right? I guess it is a symptom. You can't argue that the Museum of ice Cream is the.
Speaker 2: Rod starts if I was like, well, because of ice cream came first, and then Trump is like because specifically the ice cream.
Speaker 1: No, no, it was twenty nine rooms. Yeah, then Trump.
Speaker 2: Well the other thing is okay, So you're talking about Disneyland, right, Listen. We all have our issues with Disney, Disney or whatever, but at the very least Disneyland is based on beloved characters that all do.
Speaker 1: Come from true master works.
Speaker 2: Like sure, when you look at old Mickey Mouse cartoons, when you watch Disney movies that we grew up with, whatever, there is a there there there is to go to the signified signifier. There is a signified. The signified is these beloved characters. Yes, I think with the Museum of ice Cream there is no signified. You go in and it's just a general positive vibes. There's nothing that it reminds you of. There's nothing that it is like pointing to. It doesn't even really remind you of your childhood because it's not like your going to six Flags or something. There is nothing that it is signifying. It's just like, please look at these colors and don't ask questions.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but that's again I think that's the sadness of it, where it's these people that like want to go, they want to do something fun, they have a goal, and they're like, i've seen pictures from this, I hope it's fun. And they get there and they're like, oh, it's just empty, like it's just colors. But they don't there. I don't know if they're disappointed. I don't know if they're thinking, oh, it's just empty, Like are they getting that far? Yeah, I have to even if they don't know, I'm empty because of this, I feel like there's a sadness when they leave, Like I have to to think there's a sadness because even they'll post the picture. Of course, you went, you paid the entry for You're going to post the picture in the sprinkles and then you're like checking it for likes and you're like is it good enough?
Speaker 1: Oh my god, And that's so sad.
Speaker 2: There's also something about I think one of the darkest parts of our culture is the rise of half humor, which is when something gestures it being funny without actually being funny. And I think Museum of Sex, Museum of ice cream, all of these things are semi ironic but don't have the courage to be either fully ironic or fully earnest. And I think that is actually talk about signs of rod. Yeah, I do think it's like, at least if you're going to a museum and going to a truly like a Dega exhibition, okay, that is fully earnest. You are like I am seeing this great painter and I am seeing just NonStop photos of ballerinas. Then on the other side of things, what's something like completely like if you're going, like ironically to a water park, that is like fully you're having fun with You're ironic.
Speaker 1: That's not rot, is not rock. This is no, no, no. Museum of ice cream is like not being able to commit to one or the other. Right, it's shame.
Speaker 2: It's honestly it's a cultures fair and it's honestly wanting to like dissociate a little bit, like to just be like, well, here we're all ice cream.
Speaker 1: Oh my god. Yeah, that's really dark because what like what it's like, why do they call it a museum? Well, and there you go, you know what I mean, Like, why do they have to be like and look, if it were a museum, that's a different story. If there were like installations about like that'd be that could be kind of interesting, like the history of ice cream. You know, who doesn't want to know? I mean, you know, yeah, I'm sure it's storied. I mean, so at least one good room.
Speaker 2: At least one good room, the first lactose in tolerant girl who started farting after eating.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So, but like this is like they have to say that it's a museum so that these people who are like a shame to just have fun, who are like ashamed of like of like of maybe not reaching like certain like milestones that they feel they should have reached by now they they still it's like the air of culture.
Speaker 2: Well, they have to call it a museum because they're afraid to call it a church. Oh honey, well yes, because what we're actually missing is non commodified spaces for people to congregate. And we all know this and we're getting and what we haven't said the Museum of ice cream. I mean, this goes back to Reagan, of course, goes well, this goes back to Reagan. It was the Museum of ice Cream was Reagan's last idea, and then he died. He was fully he had full on dementia. He was on his deathbed.
Speaker 1: Nancy was giving him one last BJ and then he was like and he was like a museum with no art. Oh my gosh.
Speaker 3: The way that you just described the Museum of ice Cream, it reminds me of an event I went to once that also filled me with sadness.
Speaker 1: That was at a bar during the day and it was like, you take the sa t excuse me, you take.
Speaker 3: The SAT as a joke and like see what score you got? And I went and they had like performed I was like performing on it. They would like be like performance breaks and I was just like.
Speaker 1: This is shocking. Was it a caveat? Of course? It was, Oh my god. And it was just like what a read.
Speaker 2: And guess what you don't because they need to know. Yeah, there are people out there going to take the sads recreationally.
Speaker 1: It was just like you have to move on.
Speaker 3: You are like still so proud of yourself for being good at the SAT.
Speaker 1: It was so sad, And you know what this web connects to this? These are people who can't see a future for themselves. They can't see a future only in the past. That's why Madam Webb is the ultimate hero. Right, she can see the future sort of, she's imagining queer futures.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and actually I think this sort of is important because it doesn't have this this like male confidence of like, oh my god, I'm gonna go to the moon and plant a flat right. No, it's like maybe tomorrow it might rain.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well there's a community aspect, yes, of course. It's like her sort of is like she can envision these futures, right, and if it were a man, like probably the man would be like this is happening. Yeah, but she is like I I I'm going to like, I'm going to share that information and then like together we can move forward. Yes, it's a little, it's something. It's an ice. It's like maybe this is it. Now, let's go to the web.
Speaker 2: From one she has an idea and then she's like and then we'll work through it together.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and she apologizes for it, and she apologizes.
Speaker 2: Something you will notice ester when you see the film is that every second word out of her mouth is I don't know all the teen girls keep asking her like why is this happening?
Speaker 1: Why is this happening? And she's like, girls, I don't know.
Speaker 3: The most incredible performance the whole movie, the metatext, of course, is I don't know what this movie's about.
Speaker 1: Yes, and it's like, thank you, it's so cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I wonder if some of those lines actually were something else. Into coda, Johnson was like, whatever, I.
Speaker 1: Feel like the character wouldn't know here. Yeah, exactly, there's so much going on. Why is that guy using this? I don't know. It's amazing.
Speaker 2: It's just that for an hour and a half, and then she gets her powers truly within the last like twenty minutes.
Speaker 1: The only sort of sort of she's like and once again the culture can't commit. Yeah, well, you know what it is.
Speaker 2: It's like, you know, in you know the original Tobe McGuire Spider Man, or for me, in my world the original I know there's more sure, you.
Speaker 1: Know, he starts getting his powers and he's like trying to climb for the first time.
Speaker 2: He's figuring it out, and that's like the first that's the end of the first act, because that's how a superhero movie is structured. It's like in your powers, you try to use them, you fail, then you figure them out in Madam Webb, that's the finale.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, so this is a symptom of this is like capitalistic bloat because it's exact one. But then if you actually take it as said exact well, exactly exactly exactly.
Speaker 3: It's the way that the whole movie is to get to just the point. She's a normal girl the whole time.
Speaker 1: But what makes.
Speaker 2: But what makes it, what makes it camp, is that those sequels will never come. So with this sort of amazing story with no resolution, it's like Ladybird like, it's literally like she she her name, Yes she does.
Speaker 1: She's actually interested to see if there's a transnarrative you know, well guess what we're not gonna find out. Yeah. Wow, I can't wait for you to see it. I can't wait to see it. I can't wait to see it. I'd love to if I could just like come on later for like a little ten minute exclud then we are giving my I am okay.
Speaker 2: With the rest of our patron content forever being about Madame Web.
Speaker 3: You know what, Madam Web actually inspires so much hope, enjoy in me because it's what we're saying about language where it's like what's what's out now, what's in now? It's so nice to have a new thing that everyone is a movie is like this is this is defining the conversation for the year. Well look back on this year and be like, remember when we were laughing about Madame web But yeah, it's gonna be so good.
Speaker 1: I had the thought and maybe you both had this thought too, because you know you're very smart and plugged in visuals. You know. Well, yo, about like maybe four to five minutes ago, I was like, are we dating this episode in a big way?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, yeah, sorry. But the last thing that felt like this how Madam Webb feels is Cats.
Speaker 2: Well people have been saying it's the cats of superhero movies.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and and cats. I actually I still like cats jokes. Like I smile. It was a crazy moment. It was a crazy moment and the fact that that was like everyone's last movie before Lockdown, and like I saw like a like a ten thirty PM at like Lincoln Square, AMC. So we all we're just doing full talk back. Yeah, it was so fun. This is like like I still laugh, I still think fondly on that moment, So I do think something about Madam Webb is and it signifies the death of the superhero. Yeah, which is so great, Like what a way to go, A way to go, A way to go.
Speaker 2: It didn't end with a bang. It ended with an I don't know with the girlies yeah yeah, yeah, it with Sydney Sweeney being in an aborted prequel for that for bat Girl, No Spider, Spider Spider, Yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Can't talk about it. Whatever. Interviews incredible.
Speaker 3: I also I really like the our episodes are so dated, Like I think it's so funny as I journal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so topical.
Speaker 2: What would if you were to make a fake museum? What would the topic be?
Speaker 1: Wow? Great question with a slide in. Good question with the slide.
Speaker 2: By the way, we haven't addressed the actual slide in case anyone has the problem that I had. So when as the first said this, I hesitated because I thought that she meant slides like a slide show, like a history history museums that have like a slide show.
Speaker 1: And so I'll be honest, like I saw a wave of confusion come over your face when I shared the topic right before we started recording, and I was I was. I was taken aback because I was like, I feel like this is a perfect totally no. I yes, But then as soon as you understood, then you were like, oh this is rich, you know.
Speaker 3: And when you sanguage I at first I was like, oh, does she mean slides or slides? But then I just use context clues, which can be so so amazing. Ye, contexts are hard for me. So okay, what would I mean? Off the bat?
Speaker 1: I'm like, would yours be the Museum of Broadway? Well, that does exist. It does. Oh, there is a Museum of Broadway, and you know that. It's like halfway right.
Speaker 2: It just has like one bra that Patty Lapone wore.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it has it's a room of like one from every show. It has the padded bra that Rob McClure wore as Missus doubt Fire.
Speaker 3: You get to take a picture with a playbill on your way out. Yeah.
Speaker 1: No, well this is the thing. It's like halfway right because I haven't been to it. I haven't been to any of these, but like there's like there is history stuff. But then you take a picture, like there's like a swing that's like themed like hair or something like that. People take pictures with that.
Speaker 2: So it's sort of what you would get if you were to go to a Broadway show that had a little photo op, but all of them together, Like you know, I remember when I went to Angels in America, Like they had the wings that you could take a photo in from. Yeah, so it's that, but then for every show, and you also don't get to see a show that's right, that's right. I mean, is there a better metaphor for this kind of fake museum than that. It's like it's spectacle. Yes, it's spectacle, but without the spectacle.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I have a question when you are in like a space where it's like you got to the end of the museum, you should take a picture on the hair chair? Do you take a picture?
Speaker 1: Not anymore? Do you? Uh?
Speaker 2: I will say, I don't know if I actually actually posted it, but I did get a photo with the Angels in America wings when I went with my friend's staff.
Speaker 1: See this. I am so rocked when put in that situation because I'm like, do I do it? Or am I above it?
Speaker 3: Because obviously in my mind I'm way above it. But and then I'm also like, but I'm human, Right, I came to the show.
Speaker 1: I need proof of it. Well, it's a little bit like, oh, like, what is it? Like, Oh, you hate capitalism, but you have an iPhone? Yeah, you know what I mean. It's like, well you're there. Well you know what else I do?
Speaker 2: And I do this literally with no shame. You better believe I post the playable to my story every single time I go to the theater.
Speaker 1: See, I don't and I don't. I'm not going to be shamed for it. I think there's something about the effemery of the story. Yes, yeah, I know I would never do at adult I do. I love this.
Speaker 2: I guess what ever, because it's like obviously, I'm also kind of being like, look at me, I'm at a play. But what's also fun about it is that everyone else has seen it then responds and is like, oh my god, it wasn't El Fanning like so bad?
Speaker 1: Yeah, just be not bad.
Speaker 3: We Yeah, I went to Cold Show. Yeah, and I like, I don't go to a theater very often with a playbill.
Speaker 1: And I was like, I know, the culture is take picture of the real theater.
Speaker 2: People would probably look at me and are like, you're so ghost for doing that, but I don't care.
Speaker 3: It's I felt so much shame and I had to look around and make sure other people were doing it too.
Speaker 1: Real theater people aren't that cultured anymore. Yeah, you know, real theater. Real theater people are are posting to their grid. Yeah yeah, and the town Yeah yeah, exactly interesting. Well should we do our final segment?
Speaker 2: I mean none of us have answered my question.
Speaker 1: I I mean, but also no, no, I can think.
Speaker 2: It has to because it's a difficult one, because it has to be something essentially bad, like you're creating something you wouldn't even yourself on a.
Speaker 3: Well the one I would fully yeah, I would want like like if there was a hacky way to do like Museum of Gay Guye where if it were like, right, that's really good actually and you could like, yeah, there'd be you know, although there'd be the Fire Island section of like the seventies, and then you'd also like you could walk into like a dance floor and it was like.
Speaker 1: Yes, is what it was?
Speaker 2: Like like a fake Keith Herring mural. Yeah, like Diva's Room, Diva's Room.
Speaker 1: Div.
Speaker 2: Like just a room that has like the film the concert film of the Madonna Confessions Tour playing.
Speaker 1: On a loop. You could get like kind of like like exit through their gift shop like poppers, Like yeah, poppers.
Speaker 2: Like also a giant thing of poppers to do a photo op with. Oh yeah, there'd be like a frame frame jock strap.
Speaker 1: That's a really good idea. Yeah. Well, also, like I kind of want to go like, what's some of the like early gay guys like I don't really know like gay male history like to yeah, yeah, like like what's like turn of the century gay guys. Well, Dandy is like, yeah, yeah, exactly. I think there's like something. I think it's like something like really beautiful with like trans women in gay guy history, like the way it has intertwined, you know at certain points in history. Absolutely people are like, oh, you're just like crazy people with penis Like we're actually there's a lot a lot of ways found. Yeah wow, okay, wait mine, I think that's a good one. Thank you.
Speaker 2: This is actually almost this all this actually sort of does exist. I'm thinking of like if you go to like Coupercute or something and they have like an exhibition that's like the history of advertising and there's.
Speaker 1: Like famous ads.
Speaker 2: Sure, like that does exist and you could argue it is art, right, but there is something about like there's almost like a nineties kids will remember this element like a museum that is basically like BuzzFeed the museum. It's just like artifacts from your childhood, and it's in fact micro targeted so that when you enter a room, it's all things that like bring you back to your childhood. It's like a power ranger that's like still in the rapper.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, that's a good one.
Speaker 2: I think that something like that is bound to have on a CEU and it'll be VR because it'll be like algorithmically that's how it's like.
Speaker 1: So point yeah. So something that I think, like something I really like like like left wing like revolutionary history and stuff like that and like protests, and so I think it would be cool and crazy to have like a museum that's like dedicated to that. Yeah, like like radical movements and stuff like that specifically. And there is this extra added layer of darkness that it's being commodified and being reclaimed and recaptured, so dark, and you feel like you're like doing something by going to this like the Museum of Radicality or something.
Speaker 2: You know, I mean that does it's like you will occasionally go to like you know, protest art or something. Yeah, and then it'll be like a framed sign from a protest right, and then like a photo of people congregating, and then you're also with people, but rather than creating change themselves, are sort of all being like wow, that was powerful.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's like there's an exhibit right now at the Brooklyn Museum that I really want to go to have like queer zines, and it's like this like radical way of like spreading information within like queer punk communities and stuff that like now is being given this legitimacy, but like also while it's still happening. So I think there's like I wonder what that's doing to like the brains of the people like like everything that, like you know, I wonder if they're somewhere in the back of their mind they're like, well, this might be like in a museum one day.
Speaker 2: Well, I do think this happens so much to the act up generation, like it has been that story has now been told so many different times in documentaries, in museums, whatever, that it's so difficult to actually be like, oh that was there was a time when that wasn't commodified, right, right, It's hard to remember that and things get left out.
Speaker 1: And of course the more that it, you know, like people want to talk about the suffragists, they don't want to talk about how to suffragists bombed things. You know WHOA But in your museum, that'll be that whole room you'll get you'll never mind, you'll get you'll get. I mean it would be things like the anarchists, like here's a bomb recipe. It'll be called steal this museum. Oh my god, esther done. There's a future here. That's a million dollar mutual aid fund museum. Yeah. Yeah, that's really good. Damn wow, thank you to the queersy thing.
Speaker 3: I did have something where I like in a museum when it's like, you know, things from the past, and you're like looking at stuff in like recent past. It's like this is zines from the seventies or something, and you're like cool, cool, cool. And then when it gets like and they're.
Speaker 1: Still being made today.
Speaker 3: And like you see like stuff from like six months ago, and I was like, don't don't show me that. Yeah, you haven't had time to ruminate on there exactly. Yeah, this one's important later. Yeah, I even they get to contemporary.
Speaker 1: It's like, who chose that one? Yeah? Is that your friend? Be honest?
Speaker 2: Do you guys know what actually is so part of this conversation, which is when old school museum culture and fake museum culture clashed. When MoMA did the B York exhibition, Do you remember that?
Speaker 1: I don't, So it was like I didn't. I didn't go either.
Speaker 2: They heavily advertised this and it was going to be like B York at it was the B York Show at MoMA, and it had and you sort of think, Okay, it'll have some like costumes from her videos whatever, And I don't remember the details, but it was the most like critically panned art show of like all time. Like it was like an embarrassing, humiliating moment for MoMA. It was seen as like them trying so hard and so desperately to like appeal to people that wouldn't otherwise come to a museum. And I do wonder if I don't know, is there a way to like, Let's say you are an old school museum you want to get you blood in, but you don't want to do museum of ice cream?
Speaker 1: What is a way to do it? By will maintaining some integrity. I think, I guess it is the zine thing. Well, I do think it's the zine thing. Yeah, I think, I think. I mean, I'll speak to what would get me in, right, is like is more like queer art? Like inclusivity? Yeah, inclusivity, inclusivity. So I guess the answer is just inclusivity.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, cool, yeah, all right, okay, Yeah, I've heard that's pretty easy to accomplish.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we solve museums really good. Right now it's kind of filled with light. Yeah, that's amazing. Ye, see you at the Goggenheim. Now we should do our finals. Now we should find a segment. I wish I had one. I'm gonna be honest with you.
Speaker 3: Our final segment is called shout Outs, and in this segment we piwash is the grand straight oral tradition of the radio shout out, giving a shout out to anything that we enjoy. We will go first, and then and then you, of course, naturally, naturally, I have one. Okay, what's uh, freaks, losers and not to mention perverts. I want to give a shout out to the new Casey Musgraves song Deeper. Well, that's right, I am enjoying this song. I feel like, you know, like everyone else, I was obsessed with Golden Hour album by her, but then the next one I was sort of like, yeah, this is fine, and it's sort of you know when you love something by someone so much and then the next one you don't love that much and you're like, did I ever like them? What was my what is my relationship with Casey Musgraves? And now this new song came out and I said she's a genius and I said, I'm all in. I was a fool to have ever doubted her. It feels mature, it feels classic, and it feels i'll say it relevant to my current life, which is so groundbreaking when stuff is a relative to my current life. So shout out to Casey Moose Graves, shout out to the new song, and shout out to.
Speaker 1: Being a gay guy.
Speaker 2: Wow, really brought it home at the end there, what's up freaks some losers? I want to give a shout out to getting a Manhattan on the rocks. People will tell you you'll need some queer butter tender and they'll say Manhattan that goes in a little koopye coopye glass. I didn't realize we were in you know, occupied Russia. I can do whatever I want. I can get it on I can get it on the rocks if I want. And guess what, then, I'm not drinking lukewarm sort of syrupy whiskey mixture. I'm drinking a delicious iced cocktail. So yes, I draw the line and getting a martini on the rocks.
Speaker 1: I'm not insane.
Speaker 2: But guess what, go to a bar, order a rye Manhattan on the rocks and report back because something tells me you're gonna be refreshed and you're gonna be honestly drunk.
Speaker 1: WHOA. I couldn't disagree more. But really, you would never do that. I get upset when they do that. Yeah, I get it. I used to be like you.
Speaker 3: The little fancy glass is half the fun. I actually just wish more drinks came into the fancy the martini style glass. But what about surely getting warm, honey the right eye drinking, it's not.
Speaker 1: There's gonna be way split the difference, right, Like one piece of ice one Well, there's nothing more stigmatized in this country than like putting one ice cube.
Speaker 2: Like when when I will sometimes put one ice Cuban. I'll say it a glass of white wine, sue me. Ye, guess what, it keeps a colt. It doesn't change the taste that much.
Speaker 1: And I have the right to do it. So that's talk about something we should normalize. Do you want to do another shout out? He's curious, all right, time for your shot? Okay, Hey, hey, hey America, what's up, gay people? I am loving babies boom, specifically nieces and nephews. So let's give it up for nieces and nephews. Yeah, that's right. I am not going to use the term nibbling. Oh unless I have to, and then I would gladly. Well, go for the record, and that's for the record. But this doesn't sound it just it feels we need a different word. Yeah, and maybe we won't get it, and we'll I'll say nibbling. I'm a conservative. I suppose the point is, well, we all are little kids are really cute. My niece is I was like, should I say her name? Yeah? I guess so, yeah, talks that bitch. Her name is Live. She's three years old and she's starting to get to the point where she knows my name and she's like Esta Esta's calling and wants to talk to me on the phone. And it makes me feel really good, and it gives me hope and makes me see the future. Her web connects me all, her web connects me. All.
Speaker 2: No, that's really That would have been the tagline of the sequel, but they're never gonna make it.
Speaker 1: No, her web connects me all.
Speaker 3: Wow. Wow, I'm I'm about to choke on water. Well, well, thank you for doing the podcast.
Speaker 1: Joy, thank you.
Speaker 2: I can't wait for a live show at the Museum of ice Cream. Yeah, and you know, get out there and go to the MET.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I thought it was like, go to Madam Web, go to the Met, Go to Madam Met, go to Miss Mama Met.
Speaker 1: Don't be afraid. Don't be afraid of looking inside. Yeah. I believe in you. Yeah, and don't be don't guess what.
Speaker 2: You look at a piece of art, you don't immediately get it, move on to the next one.
Speaker 1: There are so many you don't have to get it. It might seem like us three because of the way we're talking. It might seem like we get every piece of art.
Speaker 2: No, I haven't gotten a piece of art. And since Madam Webb, honestly we saw it very recently.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I feel like I'm gonna see that and be like, oh, that's the first piece of our I got. I didn't get anything else. Wow. Wow.
Speaker 3: Okay, Well, bye bye bye podcast and now want more?
Speaker 2: Subscribe to our Patreon for two extra episodes a month, discord access and more by heading to patreon dot com.
Speaker 1: Slash Stradio Lab and.
Speaker 3: For all our visual earners, free full length video episodes are available on our.
Speaker 1: YouTube now Get back to Work.
Speaker 3: Stradia Lab is a production by Will Ferrell's Big Money Players Network and iHeart Podcasts.
Speaker 2: Created and hosted by George Severis and Sam Taggart.
Speaker 3: Executive produced by Will Ferrell, Hans Sonny and Olivia Aguilar. Co produced by by Wang, Edited and engineered by Adam Avolos. Artwork by Michael Failes and Matt Grove.
Speaker 1: Same music by Ben Kling